User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

"I am a sixty year old guy. I have been drinking since I was 15. AA gave me a couple of years of sobriety a few times. I could never describe the magnitude of my cravings (even to other alcoholics). Though the VA, I started taking Gabapentin about 6 months ago. I have returned to AA meetings because just reducing the cravings isn't all it's about for me. I have said that stated in meetings that there is finally a pill that cure's alcoholism. They don't like hearing that stuff in AA. It is more true than they will ever think. Craving's were such a huge part of my inability to control my drinking. I have been able to do things that I never could before. Best of luck to you all."

Hutch co (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2016

"I suffer from generalized anxiety and abused alcohol heavily for over a year for sleep and stress reduction. When ready to quit, I was terrified of withdrawal, my doctor prescribed 300mg, 3x a day. So far, so good. I've been on it for a month and have noticed really helps my anxiety. Sober just three days but feeling okay! Some precautions: Experiencing a little weight gain and notice an increased appetite an hour after I take this medication. Also I notice when I miss a dose almost immediately. Good luck! It's worth it!"

SoberSally (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"Last year I was hospitalized due to my alcohol consumption. After this I have needed to completely stop. I have been experiencing extreme anxiety. I was recently prescribed gabapentin 600mg*3 times a day. This has helped a ton! I can finally relax and focus on getting my life together! It is definitely helping me through this rough time along with AA and other support groups."

og07limited (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

"I have been taking gabapemtin now for 7 months and can't believe how good this medication works..not only for RLS, but for craving alcohol. These pills (800mgx3) plus AA is sobriety all the way."

Kitty Kat 1974 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2016

"Started taking gabbapentin in rehab. 600 mg at bedtime. 300 mg in morning... Fast forward 18 months and I take 100 mg at bedtime. This medication saved my life in addition to AA."

Anonymous February 23, 2016

"UPDATE. I am still on gabapentin. Dose is 600mg three times a day - total 1800mg in a 24 hour period. I had not had a drink "craving" since August 11, 2014 when I quit. (I did this within one week of starting gabapentin). I did have a glass of wine at Christmas, one beer on my birthday, and one glass of wine at Easter. That's it. I use to have 10 beers a day, and three glasses of wine or gin for bad panic attacks and generalized anxiety. So for me (not everyone) I can have that occasional drink with friends, at party or any social event - then come home and not touch the stuff and WITHOUT ANY CRAVINGS AT ALL - as I had during my 40-year binge. Still, this drug is amazing. AA never worked for me."

Gaba-Lover February 14, 2016

"I went on gabapentin for alcoholism that troubled me for 10 years when nothing including Alcoholics Anonymous barely worked. I read anecdotal information that it helped with alcoholism, went on 600mg twice daily and it was the first thing that helped me. Now I take 1200mg twice daily and find it works great! Afterwards I read a study in the Journal of American Medicine, Gabapentin in Alcohol Dependance, 2014 that confirmed it works well in many people for cravings and binge drinking. This medicine should be further studied to confirm it works well. On this site it is obvious it helps a lot of people struggling with alcoholism which I have, along with Bipolar Disorder. I call Gabapentin my" happy pills" that also takes away my anxiety."

Malibu1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2016

"I was drinking 5 a day. I was put on this and welbutrin and am feeling great."

Party gd January 8, 2016

"I've detoxed several times. The last one was really bad. This time My Dr. put me gabapentin 300 mg. 3 times a day and Lithium. I usually suffer withdrawals for 5-7 days. I did have anxiety for two days, but I'm on day 3, no anxiety and no cravings."

Cenizo December 16, 2015

"Helpful for Alcohol Detox"

Bobster2 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2015

"I have been an alcoholic for years. Decided to quit. I was prescribed Gabapentin 300mg x 3 times a day, with the ability to up the dosage. Gabapentin is metabolized through the Kidneys not the Liver. Yay! It's only been 10 days but I'm drink and craving free!! I get a little anxious at night but otherwise a happy camper so far! Good luck!!"

L.A.life July 29, 2015

"excellent for alcohol withdrawals and also for abstaining from alcohol as far as I'm concerned though it does not help me sleep better... maybe I'm just too hyper active"

uddergutter (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin while I was in the hospital after an alcohol related accident. They started me on this while I was in a Xanax induced coma to help with seizures; I had been an alcoholic for 15 years. That was 10/20/13. So many people in the recovery community praise this as a wonder drug, and I agree. I take 600mg 3 times daily, which is double where I started. The only time I notice the drug is when I'm not on it and my anxiety rises and temper gets short. This drug in combination with a recovery plan is a Godsend. Haven't had a drink since."

J.M. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

"I have been on Gabapentin for 15 months. My dose is two 600mg tablets a day for a total of 1200mg in a 24-hour period. I was prescribed Gabapentin for alcoholism first, anxiety second. This medication is a God send. After drinking 10-15 alcohol drinks a day for 40 years, within a week I quit and had no side effects from withdrawal - plus the anxiety went away. I do NOT crave alcohol at all. It is so weird. I thought it wouldn't work until I tried it - and it does work! It was THAT quick. I suggest everyone with an alcohol problem that wants to quit but is deathly afraid to do so, ask your doctor for gabapentin. It is non-addictive like benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax). AA never worked for me. Gabapentin, IMO replaces AA."

Gaba-Lover May 12, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"i was drinking heavily for a few months and had to go to detox 6 weeks ago. i thought i'd be okay to drink about five days ago--started one day with four drinks, escalated to 12 drinks yesterday. i'm taking neurontin (600 mg 4x/day) right now because i'm scared of withdrawal. i expected i would be having symptoms today and would have to do an at-home 3-4 day taper. instead i have had two drinks today, that plus the neurontin and .5 mg of klonopin with barely noticeable symptoms. i hope to have less than five drinks today, maximum of two tomorrow and then stop for good after. highly recommend this!"

aslasha March 27, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin for tingling and numbness several months ago. I had been trying to stop drinking for years. With the reduction of cravings which was a side effect of the Gabapentin, plus AA I have been sober for 9 months."

Hollybear June 15, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been a sporadic alcoholic for years now. This and my bipolar does not help. I was prescribed gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day for my frequent and very painful headaches and I have never felt better. I have no cravings for alcohol and haven't drank for 2 weeks now. I sleep better. I feel positive. I'm happy for the first time In years. More research should be done as it is not a recommended medicine for alcohol withdrawal."

Robbo91 April 24, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had quite a few severe alcoholic relapses, and Neurontin is wonderful for me for stopping alcohol withdrawal shakes, which seems to tone down the anxiety. It works quickly too for that purpose."

AlcoholicD (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking gabapentin for years. Started after stopped drinking. Had a recent 3 mos alcoholic relapse and continued taking gabapentin during and after. Have been surprised by how easy the alcohol withdrawal has been. Am also taking Antabuse to avoid a slip but I don't think this is supposed to help reduce the desire to drink. Anyway, the biggest reason I wanted to post is that I want to caution anyone who tries to get off gabapentin to do so very slowly like maybe reduce by 100 mg or 10% /week whichever is less. I have had horrible anxiety, shivers, sweats, racing thoughts, sleepnessless, pain and more trying to get off it. "

hybridbn October 30, 2011

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Neurontin (gabapentin): "This medication is awesome. I have been an alcoholic for 12 yrs. It has been 2 weeks since my last drink. It helps with mood swings, depression, and cravings. The best thing about it is it is not addictive (non narcotic)."

Anonymous January 29, 2011

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Neurontin (gabapentin): "I was able to withdraw from opiates using Neurontin."

Anonymous October 24, 2010

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate