User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

"The only medicine I've tried for my benzodiazepine withdrawal, out of countless psychiatric meds and supplements, to help at all versus benzo withdrawal. Helps me feel more like myself. Also calms my anxiety quite a bit. Hoping this doesn't backfire like benzos themselves did, but so far, a life-saver. Taking just 100mg every 4-5 hours."

deeteepee December 15, 2017

"This started helping me with my alcohol problems (at the beginning), but after a few months I started feeling side affects that were unbearable so I started tapering off. My hair felt more brittle, I had this constant headache in the right-central lobe of my brain ( THIS WAS HORRIBLE ). Those were the main concerns. I just didn't feel right. Was on 300mg a few times a day. Others obviously have great results for this but perhaps it's just an individual reaction to it."

PoundTown November 30, 2017

"My husband has been an alcoholic for 16 years. He has struggled with depression, severe anxiety with disassociation, and seizures. Alcohol was the only thing that helped. Yesterday he was prescribed gabapentin at a starting dose of 100mg 3 times daily. About an hour after his first dose he stated that he felt different and better and he didn't feel the need to drink. A couple of hours later he stated that for the first time since puberty he felt like himself. He has only taken one dose, but if you're thinking about trying this medication for alcohol dependance, there's strong research that it is beneficial, and can help fix the imbalance in your brain that makes you need alcohol. It's worth a try. Blessings to you"

Sidewalk chalk (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I have a boyfriend who has been drinking alcohol for years, he's 51 & drinks the 20% alcohol, and he got gabapentin 600 mg 3x day and it worked the FIRST day! I'm hoping he stays sober. Thanks for this site. Good luck to all."

Sissy56 October 26, 2017

"This was like the light switch flipped to off for me. I never thought there would be a medication that stopped craving for drinking. 1200 mg per day and I am not thinking about drinking at all! The obsession is simply lifted! I also attend AA and many there are skeptical, but they do say. "Science may one day acheive this, but it hasn't done so yet." Maybe now it has. I even had a drink the other day, and I didn't fall back into the mental obsession as in previous relapses. Lets hope more doctors prescribe this for alcohol dependance."

G Peretti (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

"I agree with that is written on this site. I was drinking about a bottle of wine each evening? Why? I would just feel anxious in the evenings. Wine calmed that. Since I started taking neurotin 5 days ago, I have not even looked at a bottle of wine. For me, it's just like an "off" switch. Really amazing. Good luck, everyone!"

Anonymous January 28, 2017

"I've struggled with alcoholism for over 20 Years. I've recently began taking Gabapentin & found that it does seem to alleviate &/or calm the nervousness associated with alcohol withdrawal."

Tutu_yvonne (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2017

"Helps somewhat with cravings I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2016

"Im a 53 yr old PunkRocker. I drank for Forty Years and have been Sober 7 months, I take Gabapentin 300mg. 3x a day and I no longer have alcohol cravings with the help of this medicine and staying positive. Good Luck Everyone.Peace."

PunkerJoe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2016

"Just found this site. Was prescribed Gabapentin 3 yrs. ago for neck pain. Made me too groggy & sleepy so didn't take the 1200 mgs daily as prescribed. I stopped using it. It was also to help neuropathy. Drs. never mentioned it would ease anxiety or withdrawals from alcohol. As a binge drinker 25 yrs. I'm willing to try it again to stop alcohol cravings. BUT have read withdrawals from gabbys are severe, as bad as withdrawals from 1) alcohol & 2) opiates. Anyone off gabbys & if so how bad was it? Am not going to start them until I hear pros and cons of stopping them. Only took sporadically. None in 2016. Am 57 yr. old female have a prescription. Thanks."

thegardengal (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 16, 2016

"Stopped craving"

Petersenaaron (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

"I am a sixty year old guy. I have been drinking since I was 15. AA gave me a couple of years of sobriety a few times. I could never describe the magnitude of my cravings (even to other alcoholics). Though the VA, I started taking Gabapentin about 6 months ago. I have returned to AA meetings because just reducing the cravings isn't all it's about for me. I have said that stated in meetings that there is finally a pill that cure's alcoholism. They don't like hearing that stuff in AA. It is more true than they will ever think. Craving's were such a huge part of my inability to control my drinking. I have been able to do things that I never could before. Best of luck to you all."

Hutch co (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2016

"I suffer from generalized anxiety and abused alcohol heavily for over a year for sleep and stress reduction. When ready to quit, I was terrified of withdrawal, my doctor prescribed 300mg, 3x a day. So far, so good. I've been on it for a month and have noticed really helps my anxiety. Sober just three days but feeling okay! Some precautions: Experiencing a little weight gain and notice an increased appetite an hour after I take this medication. Also I notice when I miss a dose almost immediately. Good luck! It's worth it!"

SoberSally (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"Last year I was hospitalized due to my alcohol consumption. After this I have needed to completely stop. I have been experiencing extreme anxiety. I was recently prescribed gabapentin 600mg*3 times a day. This has helped a ton! I can finally relax and focus on getting my life together! It is definitely helping me through this rough time along with AA and other support groups."

og07limited (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

"I have been taking gabapemtin now for 7 months and can't believe how good this medication works..not only for RLS, but for craving alcohol. These pills (800mgx3) plus AA is sobriety all the way."

Kitty Kat 1974 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2016

"Started taking gabbapentin in rehab. 600 mg at bedtime. 300 mg in morning... Fast forward 18 months and I take 100 mg at bedtime. This medication saved my life in addition to AA."

Anonymous February 23, 2016

"UPDATE. I am still on gabapentin. Dose is 600mg three times a day - total 1800mg in a 24 hour period. I had not had a drink "craving" since August 11, 2014 when I quit. (I did this within one week of starting gabapentin). I did have a glass of wine at Christmas, one beer on my birthday, and one glass of wine at Easter. That's it. I use to have 10 beers a day, and three glasses of wine or gin for bad panic attacks and generalized anxiety. So for me (not everyone) I can have that occasional drink with friends, at party or any social event - then come home and not touch the stuff and WITHOUT ANY CRAVINGS AT ALL - as I had during my 40-year binge. Still, this drug is amazing. AA never worked for me."

Gaba-Lover February 14, 2016

"I went on gabapentin for alcoholism that troubled me for 10 years when nothing including Alcoholics Anonymous barely worked. I read anecdotal information that it helped with alcoholism, went on 600mg twice daily and it was the first thing that helped me. Now I take 1200mg twice daily and find it works great! Afterwards I read a study in the Journal of American Medicine, Gabapentin in Alcohol Dependance, 2014 that confirmed it works well in many people for cravings and binge drinking. This medicine should be further studied to confirm it works well. On this site it is obvious it helps a lot of people struggling with alcoholism which I have, along with Bipolar Disorder. I call Gabapentin my" happy pills" that also takes away my anxiety."

Malibu1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2016

"I was drinking 5 a day. I was put on this and welbutrin and am feeling great."

Party gd January 8, 2016

"I've detoxed several times. The last one was really bad. This time My Dr. put me gabapentin 300 mg. 3 times a day and Lithium. I usually suffer withdrawals for 5-7 days. I did have anxiety for two days, but I'm on day 3, no anxiety and no cravings."

Cenizo December 16, 2015

"Helpful for Alcohol Detox"

Bobster2 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2015

"I have been an alcoholic for years. Decided to quit. I was prescribed Gabapentin 300mg x 3 times a day, with the ability to up the dosage. Gabapentin is metabolized through the Kidneys not the Liver. Yay! It's only been 10 days but I'm drink and craving free!! I get a little anxious at night but otherwise a happy camper so far! Good luck!!"

L.A.life July 29, 2015

"excellent for alcohol withdrawals and also for abstaining from alcohol as far as I'm concerned though it does not help me sleep better... maybe I'm just too hyper active"

uddergutter (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin while I was in the hospital after an alcohol related accident. They started me on this while I was in a Xanax induced coma to help with seizures; I had been an alcoholic for 15 years. That was 10/20/13. So many people in the recovery community praise this as a wonder drug, and I agree. I take 600mg 3 times daily, which is double where I started. The only time I notice the drug is when I'm not on it and my anxiety rises and temper gets short. This drug in combination with a recovery plan is a Godsend. Haven't had a drink since."

J.M. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

"I have been on Gabapentin for 15 months. My dose is two 600mg tablets a day for a total of 1200mg in a 24-hour period. I was prescribed Gabapentin for alcoholism first, anxiety second. This medication is a God send. After drinking 10-15 alcohol drinks a day for 40 years, within a week I quit and had no side effects from withdrawal - plus the anxiety went away. I do NOT crave alcohol at all. It is so weird. I thought it wouldn't work until I tried it - and it does work! It was THAT quick. I suggest everyone with an alcohol problem that wants to quit but is deathly afraid to do so, ask your doctor for gabapentin. It is non-addictive like benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax). AA never worked for me. Gabapentin, IMO replaces AA."

Gaba-Lover May 12, 2015