User Reviews for Caplyta

Caplyta has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 72 ratings on Drugs.com. 34% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 51% reported a negative experience.

Schizophrenia
4.7
Bipolar Disorder
4.9
Summary of Caplyta reviews 4.8 72 reviews

Reviews for Caplyta

Sarasota1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 17, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Amazing so far. I have been on it for six weeks and after getting past the first three days taking it- which gave me awful headaches, nausea, dry mouth, and fatigue - I started to feel something in me change. After three weeks I can say I noticed that the typical bad, ruminating thoughts of despair and general negativity were decreasing. And now at six weeks I can honestly say I have days where I catch myself and think, “Wow— I haven’t thought anything bad today”. I have never had a med this effective, and have a very sensitive /resistant system that has made med therapy a chore because nothing ever seems to work, or I end up having bad side effects. For the first time in 25+ years I feel hopeful; I am finding real joy in things, laughing genuinely, and I am able to be more compassionate and realistic with the pressures I put on myself. It’s improving my outlook on life and in turn improving my relationships. This is a miracle med for me.”

Caplyta Fan · Taken for less than 1 month · February 18, 2022

For Schizophrenia: “I have had a very positive experience with Caplyta so far. I have been on several antipsychotics that worked but had side effects that were not tolerable. On the first day of taking this, I had dry mouth and a headache. Since then, I have not had a single side effect. After a week on it, I feel great. I haven't gained weight on it which is a good sign. I have more motivation and am sleeping normally after having those problems on Vraylar. My mood is also not flat like it was on the other medications that I had been on previously. I am not normally the person to write reviews but I saw all of the bad reviews and thought that maybe by sharing my experience it would help others. Maybe many people don't write reviews unless they have a bad experience? I am not sure but my experience on it has been very good. Would recommend to anyone who couldn't tolerate the side effects of other antipsychotics.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 23, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Caplyta is my fifth trial antipsychotic, and the first one that has produced no side effects. I have noticed a substantial shift in my depression and mood. It has not completely alleviated all of my symptoms, but it is definitely helping. I take it in combination with Lamictal 300 and Divalproex 250.”

RL84 · Taken for less than 1 month · June 10, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’m very early into taking this medication. About six days to be exact. I have BP1 disorder, generalized anxiety and panic disorder. I have been on several different medications over the years. Currently I take 450mg ER Lithium once in the AM and twice at night. Lamictal (brand name) 100mg once daily and 1mg Xanax 4x daily as needed. Speaking with my psychiatrist about my irritability and flat mood, we decided to give Caplyta a try. I was skeptical because of how new it is not to mention seemingly bad reviews. That being said, the first night was a bit hairy. I would get unbelievably cold like I was in Antarctica with no clothes on. Then in would be burning up. A brutal headache ensued late and into the next day. I was considering not taking it the next day butI I decided to stick with it. I’m glad I did. The side effects were drastically less the next day and more or less gone completely and I notice a difference for sure (ie more engaged, better mood)”

Feeling normal · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 6, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “This medicine Caplyta has been a lifesaver for my bipolar!! I've experienced sleepiness & dry mouth in the beginning, but those have gone away in the 5 weeks I've been on this medicine. My bipolar is completely under control & the severe depression is gone. I feel motivated, happy & able to participate in life. I'm so happy to have found this medicine. I finally feel "normal".”

Happy · Taken for 2 to 5 years · December 13, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “I would often complain to my psychiatrist about how many meds I was taking for my schizoaffective bipolar. He'd always assure me that brains and meds are like locks and keys; sometimes you only need one key to open the lock, and other times you need multiple keys at once. I'm a multiple keys type of girl. I've been on a myriad of psych meds, but slowly found out that I needed several at once to keep things steady, but I still felt "crazy". I was angry, extremely paranoid, sleepy, hallucinating constantly, and I felt so unsafe in the world, like everyone was out to get me. I read about a new med coming out and begged my psychiatrist to let me take it. "Okay, we'll see how it works for you," he said. It was slow at first, or so I thought. I didn't realize the small changes that were happening. I became less angry, less paranoid. I stopped hallucinating. But most of all, I started to feel happy. I never realized life could be so peaceful.”

BeePantry · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 23, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “My God- this medication has changed my life. I am able to separate my emotions from my logic. I'm not depressed or angry anymore. Is this what life is like for "normal people"??? I feel like I have hope in my life which I really haven't had before. I have bipolar 2 as well as C-PTSD. I take this led in conjunction with Lamictal, Celexa and Prazosin (ptsd nightmares). Whoever made this drug is a life saver. I've had side effects of dry mouth and felt an improvement within 2 weeks.”

BubsDaddy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 10, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Absolutely GODSEND!!! I have been on every drug for my schizophrenia up to clozapine and nothing worked without making me an emotionless drooling void. I have been on Caplyta for about three months and my quality of life has improved exponentially. My schizo was so bad I had by and large stopped all hygiene, never left the house, and was consumed by paranoia and voices that no one but me could hear. I am now extremely hygienic, I have set routines and schedules again, I am able to go out in public, I converse with complete strangers every day, and I am so optimistic and happy again. I am on no anti depressants anymore, my anxiety is much lessened, and am happy again.”

Babyron · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 12, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been taking Caplyta for almost a month for bipolar depression. I immediately felt better emotionally but have developed a perpetual need to yawn/take a deep breath and a tightness across my upper abdomen. I’ve also noticed tension in the front of my neck and chest. It is not ideal and I am constantly debating these pros and cons. I have more mental clarity than I have had in years, but I am aggravated by yawning or semi-nauseous.”

Fuh_Khu · Taken for less than 1 month · March 17, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “I started this Med a couple days ago. I feel ok. Extreme dry mouth. Literally woke up in the night to chug milk, water & Oj. That being said, I usually can only sleep 90 minutes per each time I fall asleep thru the night. I’ve been sleeping 3-5 hours each time the last couple nights, and for first time in years feeling like I’ve had some rest when I awake. For years crawling out of bed in am, I felt like I had had the crap beat out of me. The only side affect I’m worried about is the weight gain. But I will continue to work with Dr to see if we can make a go of this. I’ve tried many meds over the years. This is the only one I have hope for as the others made me crazier, want to gamble and one had me so zombied I was going to Jack in the box every night for like 200 mini churros.”

deltarae · Taken for less than 1 month · November 2, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I'm on Caplyta for schizoaffective, alongside lithium. It has helped me so much! I was struggling with a lot of intrusive nonrealities and visuals, delusions relating to fears and paranoias, disconnection, overwhelming conversations in my head, and severe mood swings, which had been affecting me for years. It has gone a long, long way in helping these issues. My first week was a bit rough but not overwhelming. First dose left me extremely drowsy so I decided to take it in the evenings before bed. Subsequent days I did feel a bit of dread as it set in. 6 days in, I felt like I was able to move it to the mornings and my body was getting used to it. Even before then it helped me with my symptoms a lot. I really have to take it with food. I've had to eat fuller breakfasts since getting on it or else the drowsiness comes back but its easily preventable. This medication has really changed my life and I'd encourage anyone trying it to wait a week unless the side effects are too severe.”

Raychel · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 11, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Caplyta made my depression worse. It was like I was in a black hole for a month. It got rid of my mania for sure. But the crushing depression made it a really bad choice for me. I will never take this again.”

KDO · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 17, 2021

“I’ve been taking Caplyta (42mg) for 5 months now for my Bipolar 1. For the past ten years I have cycled hard between depression and mania (hypomania). I have been on many different medications. The 5 months since taking Caplyta I haven’t been depressed or manic once. My mind is clear, no fog. My energy levels have been up and zero side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · June 24, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I've had very little side effects so far. This med Caplyta doesn't make me into a zombie like the other meds and I can think more clearly. The only side effects I've experienced are mild nausea and internal restlessness. I'll have to see how the next upcoming doses go.”

tex · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 29, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “I'm currently on Caplyta 42mg and have been for over 3 months. It has vastly improved my life and allowed me to get back to a normal version of myself. I've tried several other atypical antipsychotics like Latuda, Vraylar, and Geodon, each with varying success. Vraylar was the best antipsychotic I was on, sadly it quit working. Caplyta has gotten closer to the stability I had with Vraylar. However, I understand that every person has different success with different medications so do not compare my experience to others. Caplyta though is very expensive and with my insurance switching in the coming months, I may be forced to switch once again which I do not want due to the success of Caplyta. I've had no noticeable side effects from this medication and it does not interact with my other medications prescribed which is a major advantage.”

Corporatebanana · Taken for less than 1 month · August 1, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I took one dosage of Caplyta and about 20 minutes in my arms and legs started to burn as if I took a niacin. Then the next day I had a searing headache. If this drug works for some, great. But not for me.. I couldn't find any of my side effects on the internet.”

Female age 29 · Taken for less than 1 month · July 30, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Took Caplyta for the first time and only time 2 days ago. I am also on lamotrigine 400 mg and Lexapro 15 mg. The next morning I could barely open my eyes that’s how drugged up I felt. I felt dizzy, foggy, nauseous, and confused. I had one of the worst headaches I have ever experienced. My husband had to come home from work that morning because I literally could not function and take care of our 9 month old. I slept all day but the headache got worse. I did not take it last night and I am still having horrible side effects. I couldn’t go to work because I still feel very foggy. My insides feel like they are burning. I either need to explosively vomit or go to the bathroom but can’t do either. I still have a severe headache and my pee is also unusually dark. I’m so bummed. I had high hopes for this med but I have never reacted to a medication like this in the last 14 years of being on meds.”

SurfMan · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 28, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I have Schizophrenia After four years and as many different prescriptions, a 30+ Lb weight gain, and blood glucose & cholesterol levels off the charts, my Dr. prescribed the new drug, Caplyta. It's been five weeks and I've lost 2 Lb. In addition, my sleep, sex-drive, and well-being are feeling restored to a level I’d nearly forgotten and haven't been at since my mid-20s. Looking forward to the follow-up bloodwork in two months”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · April 16, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Here is a weird one. I've been on Caplyta for a week as of today. And I seem to embarrassingly lost bladder control. Yesterday I had 3 accidents and today I have had 3 as well! It hits out of nowhere that I have to go and if I don't get to a toilet within a minute I just go uncontrollably on myself. I can't stop it. I'm 32, haven't had a child in nearly 10 years. I don't know what could be causing this other than I've been on a new medicine. I'm so embarrassed. I'm a school bus driver, it happened today at the end of my route before I could make it back to the bus yard and I soaked myself and the seat of the bus. I was so embarrassed on the walk to my car! Has anyone else had this happen?”

Yolo1989 · Taken for less than 1 month · May 20, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on Caplyta for a week and 2 days. I have been so hopeful for 6 years now that a new medication could help with my depression. I've had a bipolar 1 diagnosis for almost 20 years now. Abilify was life changing for me. It worked for me all on its own for about 12 years!! But it stopped working. I like to run a little hypomanic. Which is where I find myself right now. However, I have also stopped my wellburtrin and tapered off abilify all within a week too. First few days of Caplyta I was exhausted around the clock. I also have very vivid dreams. The tiredness gets better each day. I haven't experienced anything else physically. I am exercising again, I am writing again and I am hopeful. So its definitely working for me so far!”

TH · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 13, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I felt burning the first day on Caplyta and it continued the whole time. Hair loss started in about two weeks and that was before the medicine became really intense. I couldn't stop talking, couldn't sleep, and couldn't stop moving. My throat became very sore from talking so much. I felt like I had to walk to settle my mind. I could sleep for about an hour or two a night for about the last 3 weeks on the medication. My hallucinations became terrifying to me. This was like a whole other level of my nightmare life. It was like living in an insane world. Watching TV was terrifying. I felt like I was being hunted by people at night. Urinating became painful and I felt like I wanted to scream. There was difficulty in urinating from the pressure. I was also hallucinating more. 6 1/2 months after stopping the medication, I'm still trying to recover. It was a nightmare.”

ejames408 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 17, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Doctor started me on this new medicine as an adjunct to the other medications I take. It took around 2 weeks to notice any real effects from this drug. Caplyta certainly did lift my mood but I did have to come off of this drug due to the side effects. This is a relatively new drug and I don’t think many of the side effects are documented well. I stopped because Caplyta made me lose control of my bladder, and it made me feel like I had to go to the bathroom all the time. This was to the point where I got tested for a UTI (negative). I also got shooting pains in my rib cage near my upper chest. I’m not saying it’s a bad drug, just feel it out and listen to your body.”

Chronic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · April 16, 2022

For Schizophrenia: “I have bipolar schizoaffective disorder. I've been on dozens of antipsychotics, including old school ones like Haloperidol. I was beginning to lose hope of ever getting relief until my psychiatrist put me on Caplyta! It doesn't do much for my bipolar symptoms, but has been immensely helpful with my schizophrenia symptoms. My voices have diminished almost entirely. I'm rarely paranoid, and I've had just a few short-lived delusions since starting the medication six months ago!”

MsBoom · Taken for less than 1 month · February 23, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “I started on this medication a week ago for Bipolar. I was worried after reading all the bad reviews but decided to try it because my doctor always has samples so it’s free and I’ve been off all meds for six months and things eventually got bad like they always do. Also I don’t normally have side effects from medicines except for lithium. First night, very sleepy but surprisingly not as bad as other antipsychotics and I’ve been on several over the years. Within a few days I felt the paranoia and delusional thinking subsiding. I’m much more calm feeling. I want to do things again. I also started Wellbutrin XR. I hope things continue to improve over the next several weeks.”

DeAngelo · Taken for less than 1 month · May 5, 2022

For Bipolar Disorder: “Took this on day one for Bipolar 2 and 2 hours later I felt like I had icy hot all over my body. Then I felt lethargic to the point I had slurred speech and I could barely move without help. I had very dry mouth and excessive thirst. The severe headache started so I took a nap for about an hour. I woke up with neck pain connecting to the back of head, nausea and vomiting. A 2 hour shower eased the headache very little but it continued along with the nausea until the following day. Also, on the following day I had dark urination. I was advised to discontinue medication.”