User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Tic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Nightmares 1 reviews 0 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Risperidone reviews 309 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Risperidone

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I switched from seroquel to risperidone 6 months ago. I had gained 100lbs over 10 years on seroquel, and have lost about 20lbs so far since switching. My constant rage and aggression are gone, it's great not to be furiously psychotic all day. On the minus side I can't get enough sleep, I have no motivation or energy and depression has spiked. I may try an antidepressant along with risperidone and a smaller dose (I started on 2mg, just cut to 1.5 and would like to get to 1mg or under) I tried going from 2mg to 1mg previously on my own and it was hell - massive anxiety and depression."

Mikey's Brain May 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm not actually bipolar-I take it as an add-on to and SSRI for OCD, General Anxiety Disorder, and depression, but that wasn't in the categories offered. It works wonderful for this for me. My OCD is very much under control taking this in conjunction with Prozac-there are so many things I just could not do and was so afraid of because of the OCD before getting on Prozac and I could do even more after adding Risperdal to it. I take 2 mgs, but I usually take it a few hours before bedtime because it does make me drowsy. I haven't gained weight from it and really haven't had any side effects."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I had a crisis of anxiety and some paranoid thoughts when I was 15 years old . I then took Risperdal and it helped me a lot. By 19, I switched to Invega and I got more anxious. Now, by 20, I returned to Risperdal (only 2mg) and I'm a lot better. When taken in small doses, it's great for anxiety, and racing thoughts :)"

Philip38854 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "Honestly this medication was awful and the doctor who prescribed it failed to mention that it made it impossible to think. I think it's abusive to give this medication out for people who are not schizophrenic. It's just another way for people to take away autonomy and to force us autistic people into harmful therapies that deny us our humanity."

batch (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "It made me lose my drive in life. It was good initially for psychotic thoughts but I wouldn't recommend using it long term."

Butchcassidy91 May 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I take it for PTSD and severe anxiety. It's a life-saver for me. I sleep like a baby bear. I have no more instrusive thoughts. It increases my self-esteem and life is fun for once. It didn't just give me my life back. It's given the life I never had due to 20 plus years of refusing treatment because I thought I could do it on my own through exercise, diet, and positive thinking. The only side-effect I have is regret from not taking it sooner."

Scottyblsddggffcbbbb. May 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "Was prescribed this for schizophrenia. It took away psychotic symptoms yes but had horrible side effects to begin with and I put on nearly 7 stone because of this drug. And I've had slurred, stuttered speech ever since taking it. I really want to come off this medication but fear becoming ill again for my family's sake. Been on it for nearly 3 years now. I'm on a fortnightly injection. I have also been given this drug in tablet form to treat anxiety before, didn't really do anything for me, felt no obvious change to feelings. Something like zolpidem (yes I'm aware it's sleeping medication) really makes me feel more relaxed and at ease, that's what I want out of anti anxiety medication. So anxiety wise I think it's pretty rubbish."

aenglishschizo April 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Took this medication for 4 months it didn't do much but help me sleep. I experienced lactation, enlarged breasts "went from a B cup to a Double D" hunger to the point that I never felt full no matter what I ate, obsessive sweating, and the worst thing was that I gained 40lbs in 4 months. I was originally 130lbs and topped off at 170lbs and flushed the remaining medication and had zero withdrawals. Unfortunately this was 3 years ago and no matter what I do I can not lose more than 10lbs and I gain it back off and on. I am getting my thyroid tested to check if it caused it to be come inactive or under active. Because I have never weighed more than 135lbs even after having 3 Full term babies. This Medication should be removed from the market!!!"

MedicationGuinniPig4real! April 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "It caused panic attacks on me. Terrible drug."

Maliceylan April 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Terrible experience. While this drug may work for some but did not for my child. EVERY PARENT NEEDS TO BE WARNED OF THE POTENTIAL DANGERS."

Another Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started out on 1mg and have moved up to 5mg since having a recent mania with hallucinations. I'm still feeling manic and hearing music and sirens with paranoia. I wish my stability had returned with the steep increase in dose. I'm giving this only a 5 because I don't know yet if it's going to work for me."

BipolarLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: " So I took risperdone to help with my psychosis when I was 14. It worked wonders with helping me with my hallucinations.I did have a bad experience with one of the side effects. I am female and my breast increased size and started making and producing breast milk. I had to stop the medication because if it and it was The only medication that I found that helped. I was only on the medication for 10 days but, it worked amazing."

inshallah March 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "My son is autistic he is 10 years old, my son's Dr recommend risperdal for him because of his aggressive behaviors. After 3 months on the medication he has been more agitated and he put on 15 pounds. So the Dr wants to increase the medicine. I will not be doing this increased"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I wish I could give Risperidal/Risperidone 0 stars. Worst medication I've ever had to take. Made me so exhausted despite getting 12 hours of sleep a night and made me gain 30lbs. This medication slapped the heart right out of me and I was a zombie, devoid of any emotion for months. I wouldn't slip this to my worst enemy."

HannaKK March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "This medicine helps with my schizophrenia, calms me down but that's about it. But the worst things about it are the freaking side effects! Look I took this medicine in first grade for irritability, took it again in middle school now I'm 20 and started back up again a few months ago..it makes me soooooo sleepy that I'm falling into things, I get severe panic attacks and I'm hungry as hell hence why I gained 11 lbs. Oh and I have this funny, unbearable feeling in my right leg and it's sooo uncomfortable omg! But on the other hand its not as bad as latuda or haldol but its worth it i guess"

aria9671 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "This is a miracle drug for us. Lots of prayers for the one who discovered it. My mum was finally diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2015 after 10 years. Those 10 years were horrific and prior to diagnoses the situation got so much worse that the last option, which was staring us in the eye, was to institutionalize her. Me and my siblings faced a very turbulent childhood, it was a roller-coaster ride. But this drug changed everything to the point of disbelief. My mum has changed from a lunatic to a stereotypical, traditional, loving mom. The effects of the drug were instant- within a month. The dosage is 1ml in the morning and 2ml in the night- we mix it in her food or drinks. "

aa96 March 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "calms me down too much"

scrabble queen (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "It was an utter nightmare. I got heavy dissociation, felt like zombie just from one dose and couldn't shake it off for two days. It made me feel like I was sleepwalking and gave me more anxiety. I stopped it immediately. It was the worst I've ever felt. I then continued on SSRI's and had way better experience. My doctor made mistake with this prescription. Hope nobody else is given the wrong medication like I was."

heep (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was on this medication at 0.5mg twice a day. Was only on it for a month and a half I gained 20 pounds I was hungry all the time and it raised my prolactin levels so high I started to lactate. This drug made me feel like a zombie I couldn't concentrate or had any desire for anything in like. I stopped taking this drug for only five days now and already I am starting to loose weight and feel some what normal again. Trying to try other methods to control my disorder without having to rely on drugs"

Elamp February 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I left a review once before, but have to add to it. I took this medicine for awhile & it helped stabilize my mood. Everything was great, until one day I noticed I was secreting breast milk. The doctor checked my prolactin level & it was very high. It was in the 100's. I had to stop taking this medicine, which is unfortunate."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Not much relief with lots of side effects."

Ag50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asperger Syndrome: "Use to take 3mg, but was too sedating. I currently take .75 at bedtime, and it keeps me calm during the day. Only feel a little irritable at times still, but nothing like prior to taking risperidone. Just 10 lbs in weight gain which I think I needed. I take it in combination with antidepressants, and works very well."

jmncrr (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Works ok! 6 months later I am still taking it and the side-effects slowly disperse. 6 months later though I feel like I need something else for the voices..."

ks2012ks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Paranoid Disorder: "This drug made me EXTREMELY TIRED. It was like being on heroine. Barely being able to keep my eyes open. I've never been this tired in my life"

Kkml January 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tic Disorder: "I have OCD and trichotillomania (compulsive hair pulling). I started taking Risperdal in Jan of 2016 (age 18), and was up to 1mg in March. I still had not noticed changes in my behavior as far as the pulling went or the obsessive thoughts. In a last ditch effort to see if the Risperdal would be effective, we went up to 2mg. After three weeks, I noticed a huge change in behavior. I had little urge to pull anymore. It was such a relief. But then came the long term side effects. I stopped getting periods and my eyes started twitching. I'm now being weened off the drug because of the side effects. The drug seems to work great for OCD and trich, but the side effects ended up being too much for me to manage."

Siwithlove (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017