User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Perseris

Risperidone has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 580 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of those users who reviewed Risperidone reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder  Off-label 6.8
Nightmares  Off-label 1.0
Summary of Risperidone reviews 5.6 580 reviews

Reviews for Risperidone

Customer a · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2021

For Paranoid Disorder: “Ten years total experience (approx. ) with risperidone approximately five years on and five to six years off. While on risperidal (risperidone generic ) my physical direction was weight gain and diabetes. My waist size went from my normal approximate of 33 to 36 and needing 38 soon. I also was at risk of diabetes and being threatened with medical intervention. I walked miles and ate responsibly, I still gained weight. The physician and I agreed to cut the dose in half (several decreases) until completely off. I did not see real improvement until completely stopped. I soon returned to my normal waist size and metabolism. I take care of my problems instead of not noticing and being in a state of sluggish. While off, I have to deal with problems of life and this world, although it is worth it. Being forced to take a med. should be ethically evaluated. I am currently not at risk of diabetes and eat whatever...., I was born with a healthy metabolism and burn my food in daily work life.”

charcoal · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 28, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “I have been on the drug for two years. In the beginning I felt tired but after one-and-a-half years I began to feel much better. The problem with this medication is that it makes you tired and lazy, especially in the morning. The good part is that it gives good sleep and controls the mind. The beginning was very hard as I was dealing with all the hallucinations I had been experiencing since I had consumed marijuana and smelt glue from plastic packets during my teenage years. Please stay with this drug as long as the doctor tells you. And take it at the SAME TIME every day. It is very important to take it at the same time every day. Please do this.”

Anonymous February 26, 2021

For Anxiety: “This drug is horrible. I took this drug for about 6 months and I honestly feel like a zombie. I’m not able to talk or be social like I use to and I really don't like it.”

Enhpow93 · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “I have been taking SSRIs from a long time. But then my psychiatrist prescribed me this thing because she overeacted to a panic attack I had one night, I was afraid of taking it since I saw that it was prescribed to treat advanced mental health issues. But the worst was the awful side effects once I started. I have IBS, my physician got nuts when he heard that I was put under risperidone, I'd been having weird abdominal pain from almost 2 weeks. He told me this thing could cause megacolon. I returned to my standard SSRIs, and stop having all those weird side effects. Check the side effects, your family history and always try a second opinion.”

rustynail23 February 10, 2021

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: “Terrible choice by my PA to put me on this stuff. I was only on .25mg and the first day I was on it I had to leave work early because I was so confused, felt drained, exhausted. Sleep was absolutely horrible. Couldn’t stay asleep. It only got worse as the first full week I was on it I had zero focus, energy, felt confused at work. I missed the better part of two days of going to work. Went that same Friday and my PA took me off of it and put me back on a lower dose of Latuda and I’ve never felt better.”

Msaf · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2021

For Anxiety: “It caused side effect that continue even after I stopped it from three years back, I have unstable sleeping patterns I wish I never took and as I want to return to my previous life”

rustynail23 January 30, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I just started this risperidone medication this week so it might be a tad early to give a review, but nonetheless here goes. I was on 80mg of Latuda and the side effects were driving me crazy, couldn’t get comfortable in the evenings, moving a lot, sweating nonstop in warm environments while others are barely breaking a sweat. So my PA decided that since I have obsession compulsive disorder he asked if I’ve ever tried risperdal. I said no but had heard of it. He started me off at .05 mg which didn’t sound like much medicine at all but after reading some of the reviews on here this seems common. So far I haven’t had any bad side effects on this medication, one night I didn’t sleep at all though but the next night I slept nice and hard. I plan on giving another review in about a month. Wishing everyone well on Risperdal.”

Aleksander · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I wanna confirm risperidone was decreased my hallucinations for over 80% and maniacal psychosis for over 90%. Best for psychotic mania and maniacal psychosis caused by clomipramine. Risperidone is great for bipolar.”

Anonymous January 26, 2021

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: “Continue taking Risperidone as long as your doctor tells you to. AND TAKE IT AT THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY.”

ToasterStrudel January 24, 2021

For Severe Mood Dysregulation: “Before risperidone, maintaining focus for longer than 15-20 minutes exhausted me. I could not "tune out" external stimuli (sights, sounds, smells); everything seemed to stir up an emotion and/or cause cumulative, cascading thoughts. This caused anxiety and depression that lasted weeks. After a 9 consecutive days of risperidone (0.5mg/day), I am alert, confident, and my anxiety has all but vanished. I still experience some racing / intrusive thoughts, but they're softer and easier to quiet. I'm curious to see if 1mg/day will stifle them completely. I wish I would've found this psychiatrist and this medication 20 years ago instead of having to endure several misdiagnosis and Rx roller coaster rides. This drug saved my life. As I mentioned, I have not been on it very long, so it may be too early to notice any side effects; however, my appetite has always been small and I still need to take 5mg of melatonin before bedtime in order to fall sleep. 48yr old male, 6'2", and 217lbs.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2021

For Depression: “I have found risperidone not to work for me. I am on it for bipolar and depression and it is making my depression and episodes of depression much more intense and worse than if I was not taking it altogether. I am unhappy with my diagnosis and current treatment plan but am struggling to find a dr who will change it or get an appointment with my GP. Please be aware this medication is not for everyone and is an anti-psychotic and a pretty heavy one at that! On the other hand please be aware it would help for certain conditions just not the one I have or my mood as a person in lockdown with depression. It is much less hard that quetiapine as I had that before. I had it to treat PMDD which was the only useful time which is bipolar but other than that for everyday life it is not working or suitable for me. Please fight for your mental health, you do generally know better! Thank you for reading x”

Mel January 14, 2021

For Anxiety: “Starting taking 0.5mg risperidone before bedtime. I also take 20mg of lexapro for anxiety/depression. I have to say, this drug has helped me a lot so far. Reduced my racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts, and miserable feelings in the morning. I have an appetite and feel myself again. The only negative is big appetite and veryyyy groggy in the morning. The good night sleep is nice though.”

Desmondini · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: “Prescribed 4mg daily after auditory hallucinations. Works well for that, but has caused a notable increase in anxiety, complete loss of appetite and sex drive. Looking to come off this and try a new med.”

red20 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Risperidone literally saved my life. Others may say "it makes you a zombie" or "gets rid of emotions" but trust me, after enduring the side effects for 3-4 weeks thats when you get used to the medication and it will do wonders.”

j · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2021

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: “this medication saved my life, I was dealing with psychosis PTSD and derealization like was suffering 24/7. This medication made life bearable I still have some times where I don’t feel the best, but nothing compared to what I was dealing with. The side effects were pretty ruff the first week or two but I was also very sick but I pushed through since again they were nothing compared to what I was dealing with. This medication was my last straw I tried everything now I don’t know what I would do without it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I was first prescribed Risperidone to treat me hearing things and seeing things. I have been on and off of it for years. I try to take it, but feel it causes more side effects than any good. It made me gain weight, but the wrong kinda weight. I can't really tell after all these years if it really helped or not.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

Risperdal Consta (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: “I believe after taking this, I stopping thinking well. I took it as an injection. It caused some sort of anxiety and made me think of my past. It cleared up some parts of thinking but after the Dr. prescribed this, I can't tell if it left permanent damage.”

Dweeb · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

For Anxiety: “Absolutely awful”

MiuKaai · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2020

For Depression: “I used to take risperidone when I was in middle school because I was forced. I didn't remember how it made me feel. I took Citalopram with it so it probably over powered it. After getting off Risperidone when I was 13, I'm now 23 and I am only taking 1mg of it . After reading more about it I can see I was misdiagnosed and the medicine is making me feel extremely numb and anxious. I have a hard time focusing, my memory is foggy, my stomach has had a nervous pit feeling and I've had slight nausea. I don't recommend this drug if you DO NOT have Bipolar or Psychotic tendencies. I feel like a shell of my former self. No sex drive, no emotions besides overwhelmed feelings of doom and paranoia. This is nightmare and I can feel myself slipping. Be wary of this drug!!”

Ara · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: “Risperidone saved my life. Before it, I was suffering from delusions and I was paranoid all the time. But ever since being put on 2mg, all the delusions have stopped and I can function like a normal human being. I've had no side effects whatsoever. I was scared of starting risperidone because of all the negative reviews but it is honestly the best antipsychotic I have tried (and I've tried three). I haven't put on weight, I haven't got an increased appetite, I am not drowsy, I am not lazy or zombie like and I am not lactating.”

tucks94 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “DO NOT TAKE RISPERDAL. I was prescribed 3 mg of risperdal after displaying psychotic symptoms induced by a weed addiction. I stayed on the medication for 4 months, my dose got as high as 5mg for one month. It made me feel lethargic, emotionally unavailable, and in a fog. It did not help me with any of the symptoms it was prescribed for except sleep. I kept on a strict diet and didn't gain a single pound (I actually lost some weight). But despite not gaining a pound this drug caused my face and cheeks to swell up with fat and now I look like a squirrel. The fat just won't go away. I don't recognize myself in the mirror anymore. This drug does awful unnatural things to the body. My psychiatrist told me the weight gain isn't permanent, guess he's wrong, I'm living proof that some of the fat is inescapable and permanent. Wish it wasn't in my face.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 7, 2020

For Autism: “Didn’t like it at all, at the start I just couldn’t stop eating even tho this is something I usually have perfect control over. Also made my mind stutter like an old walkman tape.”

Bipolar Bear December 6, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: “I have just started taking Risperdal I'm 5 days in, was taking 2mg first 2 days but side effects were really intense for me so I've dropped to 1mg. Side effects for me are not being able to sleep, Other than during severe anxiety attacks never had sleep issues. There's this strange thing with my eyes which is hard to explain... I have blurred vision but also a kind of "eye ball pain" if that makes sense, kind of uncontrollable movement. Anyway I'm hoping all of this subsides as just in the past 5 days my paranoia (which was getting increasingly out of control, to the point I couldn't even check my mail box) has lightened a lot! My anxiety levels have decreased, I'm still obsessing a little but overall I feel better mentally”

T · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have bipolar disorder and tried this medication. Not only did it turn off the anger, frustration, intrusive thoughts, etc it did too for love, loyalty, connection to others. All emotions gone. I didn’t even care about my boyfriend or my cat, friends, mother, father, you get the picture. I was nauseated, had trouble eating solid food, constipated, motion sick, very uncoordinated. I was having trouble doing my job, and my personal safety was becoming an issue. If I would have continued this medication I would have fallen, tripped, etc. I was weak physically. I have a constant babbling of thoughts, it stopped. My mind was just blank unless there was an external stimuli. So did my urge to connect with others, I would only speak when spoken to. It was awful. I couldn’t feel anything at all”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: “My daughter is bipolar and has tried so many medications. She gets manic attacks. She hears voices and see things when having her manic attacks. Five days ago, they begun giving her this medicine. I’m reading everything people have said here and I’m wondering if this medicine is all she may need to live a happy healthy life. She has tried zyprexia many years ago and that helped for a time. I’m keeping hope alive!”