User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Tic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Agitation 2 reviews 6 medications

3.5
Summary of Risperidone reviews 318 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Risperidone

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is ahorrid med. Made me hallucinate and tons of other stuff"

BentBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Please avoid this medication at all cost,it is impossible to get off. I have tried twice and ended up in total disaster.The first time I tried to get off it I end up completely constipated and three years later I am still badly constipated. It changed some mechanism responsible for that during withdrawal. The second time I tried to come off it I ended up with Anhedonia which Is an inability to enjoy things, when I look at food now it's like looking at a rock, no reaction. These drugs cause total dependancy, completely change the brain and cause brain damage and are not the answer. Please just see a shaman/healer and get an auric sweep and clear out the negative entities that cause schizophrenia. Its worked for thousands of years."

Lavenderr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I got fat from zyprexa from 170lbs to 226lbs so I told my doctor, I am not taking anymore anti-psychotics. I was tired of being fat so I stopped but felt miserable and like dying of mental pain. I took adderall from another doctor and I went from 226 to 196lbs (she got mad) so she told me she was going to put me on risperidone she told me that 1mg is a very low does it shouldn't cause weight gain. So I took it for a month and my bi-polar was under control and felt better and normal but then people at work started telling me if I gained weight? So I went home and weighed myself and went from 196 to 210 so I gained 14lbs. I immediately stopped and told her I want something else so she gave me haloperidol. so am going to see what happens"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitation: "Back in my early 20's, I started experiencing severe agitation, anxiety, mood swings, and couldn't think straight, along with OCD etc. I finally went to see a psychiatrist. He put me on Paxil, Klonopin, and Risperdal. When I 1st started this combo of drugs, I felt very good, very clear headed. It almost seemed like I was myself again. After a few years, the side effects started brewing. My anxiety returned in full force, my thoughts were disorganized once again, and I began itching all over my body, especially my legs and feet. My bladder went bad. Gained weight. From the get go, Risperdal made me EXTREMELY ANXIOUS upon taking it. It was the culprit behind my itchy skin and bladder issues too. BE CAREFUL. Caused SEVERE INNER RESTLESSNESS!"

Birdman80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Bad experience. Psych used it to 'augment' mirtazapine. Wake feeling drugged and nauseous with headache, takes all day to feel able to function. Don't know if its the combo or just not right meds for me. He wants to try olanzapine next, I'm very reluctant. Need a better Dr I think."

Nothingworks (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Had it with Azolam (alprazolam) ended up sitting all day on the couch, not being able to do anything. Gained weight, lost interest in life and had a memory loss. The pain I was in prior to therapy was better than the price I paid after taking these medicines."

Sad Tiger (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking this medication for about a year. I started off with 0.5 mg. I was still having some evening anxiety so I asked to be moved to 1 mg dosage. I still had occasional anxiety in the evenings, so I asked to be moved to 1-2 mg dosage. I find that moving up to a 2 mg dosage causes me some drowsy issues and I am currently tweaking it to where I need it. My anxiety is like nothing I have ever seen or heard anyone experience. I know there are other people out there that have the same issues. I think it helps stabilize my highs and lows. I am more a bipolar type 2 person, which means my depressions are slight and my hypo-mania is somewhat great because I feel I can take on the world."

David29303 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism: "My grandson started on risperidone when he was four years old. He was having difficulties at daycare very violent and aggressive and hurting himself and others. The drug was a lifesaver he was able to function and get along with others and become more productive. We did try to take him off a few months ago and everything came back. We tried Abilify and that did not work at all so we put them back on the Risperidone 2 weeks later is a much happier child I definitely recommend it!"

Grandma and Mom June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was on this drug for 6 years. I experienced some serious side effects, such as somnolence and vivid nightmares, which at the beginning I wrote off as getting adjusted to the medications I was taking and coming to terms with everything that happened before my diagnosis (Bipolar II). Years went on and it didn't get better. About 3 years in, I started developing a tic. I went to my doctor to discuss coming off the medication, I started sliding back into a full relapse. My doctor advised that I should go back on the medication, which I did. Back in February of this year (2017) I was completely fed up with never feeling like I slept long enough, the nightmares, and the tic, and came off of it. I haven't felt better in a long time."

Radrach23 June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I switched from seroquel to risperidone 6 months ago. I had gained 100lbs over 10 years on seroquel, and have lost about 20lbs so far since switching. My constant rage and aggression are gone, it's great not to be furiously psychotic all day. On the minus side I can't get enough sleep, I have no motivation or energy and depression has spiked. I may try an antidepressant along with risperidone and a smaller dose (I started on 2mg, just cut to 1.5 and would like to get to 1mg or under) I tried going from 2mg to 1mg previously on my own and it was hell - massive anxiety and depression."

Mikey's Brain May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm not actually bipolar-I take it as an add-on to and SSRI for OCD, General Anxiety Disorder, and depression, but that wasn't in the categories offered. It works wonderful for this for me. My OCD is very much under control taking this in conjunction with Prozac-there are so many things I just could not do and was so afraid of because of the OCD before getting on Prozac and I could do even more after adding Risperdal to it. I take 2 mgs, but I usually take it a few hours before bedtime because it does make me drowsy. I haven't gained weight from it and really haven't had any side effects."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I had a crisis of anxiety and some paranoid thoughts when I was 15 years old . I then took Risperdal and it helped me a lot. By 19, I switched to Invega and I got more anxious. Now, by 20, I returned to Risperdal (only 2mg) and I'm a lot better. When taken in small doses, it's great for anxiety, and racing thoughts :)"

Philip38854 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "Honestly this medication was awful and the doctor who prescribed it failed to mention that it made it impossible to think. I think it's abusive to give this medication out for people who are not schizophrenic. It's just another way for people to take away autonomy and to force us autistic people into harmful therapies that deny us our humanity."

batch (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "It made me lose my drive in life. It was good initially for psychotic thoughts but I wouldn't recommend using it long term."

Butchcassidy91 May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I take it for PTSD and severe anxiety. It's a life-saver for me. I sleep like a baby bear. I have no more instrusive thoughts. It increases my self-esteem and life is fun for once. It didn't just give me my life back. It's given the life I never had due to 20 plus years of refusing treatment because I thought I could do it on my own through exercise, diet, and positive thinking. The only side-effect I have is regret from not taking it sooner."

Scottyblsddggffcbbbb. May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "Was prescribed this for schizophrenia. It took away psychotic symptoms yes but had horrible side effects to begin with and I put on nearly 7 stone because of this drug. And I've had slurred, stuttered speech ever since taking it. I really want to come off this medication but fear becoming ill again for my family's sake. Been on it for nearly 3 years now. I'm on a fortnightly injection. I have also been given this drug in tablet form to treat anxiety before, didn't really do anything for me, felt no obvious change to feelings. Something like zolpidem (yes I'm aware it's sleeping medication) really makes me feel more relaxed and at ease, that's what I want out of anti anxiety medication. So anxiety wise I think it's pretty rubbish."

aenglishschizo April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Took this medication for 4 months it didn't do much but help me sleep. I experienced lactation, enlarged breasts "went from a B cup to a Double D" hunger to the point that I never felt full no matter what I ate, obsessive sweating, and the worst thing was that I gained 40lbs in 4 months. I was originally 130lbs and topped off at 170lbs and flushed the remaining medication and had zero withdrawals. Unfortunately this was 3 years ago and no matter what I do I can not lose more than 10lbs and I gain it back off and on. I am getting my thyroid tested to check if it caused it to be come inactive or under active. Because I have never weighed more than 135lbs even after having 3 Full term babies. This Medication should be removed from the market!!!"

MedicationGuinniPig4real! April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "It caused panic attacks on me. Terrible drug."

Maliceylan April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Terrible experience. While this drug may work for some but did not for my child. EVERY PARENT NEEDS TO BE WARNED OF THE POTENTIAL DANGERS."

Another Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started out on 1mg and have moved up to 5mg since having a recent mania with hallucinations. I'm still feeling manic and hearing music and sirens with paranoia. I wish my stability had returned with the steep increase in dose. I'm giving this only a 5 because I don't know yet if it's going to work for me."

BipolarLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: " So I took risperdone to help with my psychosis when I was 14. It worked wonders with helping me with my hallucinations.I did have a bad experience with one of the side effects. I am female and my breast increased size and started making and producing breast milk. I had to stop the medication because if it and it was The only medication that I found that helped. I was only on the medication for 10 days but, it worked amazing."

inshallah March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "My son is autistic he is 10 years old, my son's Dr recommend risperdal for him because of his aggressive behaviors. After 3 months on the medication he has been more agitated and he put on 15 pounds. So the Dr wants to increase the medicine. I will not be doing this increased"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I wish I could give Risperidal/Risperidone 0 stars. Worst medication I've ever had to take. Made me so exhausted despite getting 12 hours of sleep a night and made me gain 30lbs. This medication slapped the heart right out of me and I was a zombie, devoid of any emotion for months. I wouldn't slip this to my worst enemy."

HannaKK March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "This medicine helps with my schizophrenia, calms me down but that's about it. But the worst things about it are the freaking side effects! Look I took this medicine in first grade for irritability, took it again in middle school now I'm 20 and started back up again a few months ago..it makes me soooooo sleepy that I'm falling into things, I get severe panic attacks and I'm hungry as hell hence why I gained 11 lbs. Oh and I have this funny, unbearable feeling in my right leg and it's sooo uncomfortable omg! But on the other hand its not as bad as latuda or haldol but its worth it i guess"

aria9671 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "This is a miracle drug for us. Lots of prayers for the one who discovered it. My mum was finally diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2015 after 10 years. Those 10 years were horrific and prior to diagnoses the situation got so much worse that the last option, which was staring us in the eye, was to institutionalize her. Me and my siblings faced a very turbulent childhood, it was a roller-coaster ride. But this drug changed everything to the point of disbelief. My mum has changed from a lunatic to a stereotypical, traditional, loving mom. The effects of the drug were instant- within a month. The dosage is 1ml in the morning and 2ml in the night- we mix it in her food or drinks. "

aa96 March 12, 2017