User Reviews for Risperidone

Agitation
2.7

Summary of Risperidone reviews 6.0 378 reviews

Reviews for Risperidone

For Severe Mood Dysregulation: "We used Risperidone for our son since he was 5 years old. It was a real change. He used to have meltdowns which lasted 1 hour or more almost every day, some days 2-3 per day. We were exhausted. We started with 2, 3 drops, he overdosed because he was so sensitive, we had to stop and start again slowly, but once we did that, it was a completely different kid. The dosage had to be increased every 2 weeks and with time the doctor didn't want to increase the dosage anymore. He stopped the medicine with 10 drops in the morning and 10 drops at night, weighing less than 23 kg. He is skinny, never gain weight, because of his hyperactivity. The risperidal never helped with ADHD, just with the aggressiveness and meltdowns. If it weren't because of how quickly the body was getting used to the drug, it is a good drug for him. We had to change for another medication, but it was not so effective as risperidone. He had more meltdowns, throwing things and hitting us everyday like before."

GG June 13, 2018

For Anxiety: "It has helped my hallucinations, anxiety, and depression. The only bad side effect was extreme weight gain 20 to 40 pounds more. Also constipation also got worse where it was hard for me to go on time."

Elsa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I took risperidone for a short period of time 9 years ago. I was going through an extremely traumatic situation and was having severe and dangerous mental breakdowns. I was given multiple medications and the only thing I remember feeling different from the antidepressants and the anti-anxiety was the lactating nipples and all stimulating sensations were deteriorated. But in my head I did not feel better. However then I started to take Risperidone. I remember the moment of taking it and it kicking in feeling amazing. I went from having a manic episodes to just feeling fine and dandy. I'm still trying to find a review of somebody who has had the same experience with me feeling so good because it seems everybody else has an experience similar to each other but different from mine. I didn't take the drug for long as the doctor removed it from my prescription list because they decided I was not psychotic and didn't need it."

Ananamiss May 17, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was forced into a Canadian mental hospital in the late 90s when I was 13 years old (I'm male by the way). They woke me up in bed and gave me a cup with pills and told me it was to help me with sleep. It was later on that they told me that the pills were risperdal. When I was on Respirdal I gained a lot of weight and was drowsy. I even developed minor gynecomastia that still remained 3 years later. I'm in my 30s now and the gynecomastia surgery isn't covered by any insurance companies. What was covered was the ultrasound and mammogram. I don't have the money to pay for the glandular breast tissue removal surgery. People notice my male breast growth and tell me that I have breasts. My doctor says my gynecomastia is noticeable when I take my shirt off. People who know me notice breast growth through my t shirt. Can the Canadian Government cover the cost of breast removal surgery if I am required to take antipsychotics that side effects are that grow breasts."

Eli White May 15, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I find it helps in terms of what I wanted with the voices and all but the side effects make me very drowsy and tired and I can barely muster the energy to do anything in my day. My moods been pretty low or up and down too. I find myself to still have a slight paranoia of others. Even when I first starting the meds the first few times I believed I was being poisoned but I usually felt like everyone offering me drinks or food were trying to harm me so not really anything new there. That part has calmed down a fair bit. I hope one day they can find a way to completely rid me of this so I don't have to rely on medications all the time cause I sometimes forget to take them or I can't find them on occasion. I'm glad I'm back on them though after I was initially told by the mental hospital that I'm not to have them anymore which mucked me up. I hope I'm not forced to stop again cause this is honestly my peace."

Ashley Dwyer (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Works quite well but beware of side effects. I'm an autistic person and also bipolar 1 with psychotic features. Before I started this I had horrible episodes of mania and depression and it made a huge difference. I had almost no maniac episodes, decreased irritability, and it almost completely eliminated the auditory hallucinations. However the weight gain was unbearable, I gained 80 pounds in a year that I still can't lose and diet and exercise did nothing to stop it. I didn't change medications sooner because it worked so well that I was scared to stop it and I was convinced eventually the weight gain would stop, but it didn't. Stopped my monthly cycle completely, though I wasn't complaining about that."

Cade (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "It did nothing for my delusions and psychotic behavior. Made me gain 40 lbs in 2 months. I now have restless legs and arms that haven’t gone away even though I am not taking it anymore."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "Made the voices (audible hallucinations) go away after 4 weeks, which returned my life back to normal. But it made it impossible to get an erection. Also made me more sleepy and tired than usual."

Motorcycle Boi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For Anxiety: "My 10 year old was a happy littile boy before taking this "

Shella (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I’ve been taking it for almost a year. I was diagnosed with Pyschosis from trauma. I have a skin rash and weight gain. No other side effects have surfaced."

Vic (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "it just made me sleep and feel like a zombie for almost 2 years of taking it. I feel like it only stopped my schizophrenia but had not impact on my BPD"

bpdd (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "This drug did not react well with my body chemistry, but I didn't have any delusions on it or for 4 years afterward. I gained over 120 lbs in a year and a few months on it. I slept about 14 hours a day. It made me apathetic, not a normal trait for me. I just didn't care about things. I stopped having my period and developed a lot of symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Oh, I had major carb cravings, like for fast food pizza, that I never usually have. I didn't feel like myself. I have been diagnosed with different things but believe I have major depression with psychotic features."

Jess (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I’ve been on risperidone for 13 years now. I’m 31 now and I have a masters degree, and I have experience working at major corporations. I only had 2 relapses since 2005. In 2011 they put me on the depot injection after the first relapse and added escitolapram (I reached 25 that year). Now they took away the depot and replaced it with tablets and put me on flupenthixol depot and kept the escitolapram. So I’m still on it now. It caused weight gain (olanzapine level weight gain, which is partly why they the depot injection wasn’t worth it), gynecomastia (enlarged breasts) and ejaculatory dysfunction (I can still have sex just fine, it’s just that I don’t always ejaculate- the orgasm is the same) which is ok, since my sex drive dropped with the disease (I’m the depressive type). I don’t agree that it clouds your mind; severe mental illnesses come with cognitive impairments (such as disorganized thinking, tangential thoughts and mangled speech."

Rollingstone April 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "after taking quetiapine for 2 years, changed psychiatrist who changed the medicine to sizodon , working well. The quetiapine was giving pain in joints and more lethargy than this one. Find this is better."

P (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was taking this medication to combat features of psychosis with my depression and PTSD. It made me start lactating and gain like 10 lbs. it worked well for my paranoia and nightmares though!"

kayraa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Mania: "Not good I'm having severe sleep problems after being taken off quitiapine due to rare side effects of irritatability. Slower thought process but have trouble remembering who I was before , nothing feels anything I literally have no emotions left in me. Currently on 1.5mg twice a day. Messing me up big time."

Cc March 30, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: "Pros: Decreased delusions, decreased hallucinations due to mania (Diagnosed Bipolar 1). I felt calmer mentally and physically throughout the day even though I would take the Risperidone at night. I started out at 4 mg (to kick mania in the butt) for the first 2-3 months and then tapered off to 1 mg at bedtime. Slept 7-8 hrs every night for almost 1 yr!! Which was great because I have insomnia too. Cons: Lactation (lasted 1 week), Amenorrhea (missed period) effects only 2% of women and I was one of them, straining when urinating (happened 2 times), high cholesterol, weight gain, and muscle spasms. I rated this drug 5 out of 10 because of the side effects. Since being off the drug I got my period back very intense, my cholesterol is getting slowly back to normal, lost the weight, and muscle spasms are pretty minor to almost none."

LG23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar disorder, been hospitalised and prescribed risperidone 4mg. It made me very ill and extremely paranoid. Experienced more panic attacks. My legs and arms would go numb. I had such a bad experience on this, I currently am lithium now and finding this much better"

M (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "Made anxiety worse"

Aly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2018

For Head Injury: "My nephew was on risperidone beginning about 8 years after his head injury. On it he displayed catatonic behavior at times and frequently verbalized "word salad" and also had explosive behaviors and confusion. After getting off this medication, he was much more in tune to the world and no longer displayed either of these behavior. He was tried on another anti-psychotic and he totally flipped out not knowing where he was. I think putting Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) patients on anti-psychotics is a nightmare. With my nephew, it has been proven for us that definitely, the fewer medications, the better. After being on 6 medications for a number of years, he is now only on an anti-seizure and a mild SSRI and is quick in his responses and his memory is improving a lot."

Auntie Em (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "Had psychosis 2 months ago. Was started on Risperidone it helped resolve delusions within a few weeks. Also prescribed lithium simultaneously. Started noticing side effects after 7 weeks on both including mental uneasiness and restlessness. Dr said wean off both so went from 2 to 1 mg Risperidone. Had bad withdrawals from 1 to .5mg so holding for now."

B (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Started Feb 2018 Help me so much Feel like a brand new person small dose at night now twice a day. Help me so much I'm thankful. I couldn't have done it without the help. I'm also having family therapy to talk about. The issue that bought me to seek help. Thank you. I recommended this."

tee tee February 28, 2018

For Depression: "This medication is amazing. It helped with my major depressive episode along with my panic and ocd. I feel like myself again. It did take 2-4 weeks to fully work but honestly the wait is worth it. I feel more balanced and I’m able to control my thoughts."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Took this for 2 months. Very sedative. Gained a lot of weight even though I ate less and exercise more. I hated it"

Anonymous February 26, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I started with four mg of risperdal, it went up to 7 mg per day, with those seven pills I don't feel like me anymore, none of the ideas or thoughts are there when I take them, but I also lack motivation, I'm just alive but not living. It's been reduced over the past 2 years, now I take 3 mg of risperdal with 2 antidepressants. I tried several antidepressants with them but I still lack interest in life, I know its not the same for everyone, but in my experience for those with depression and or have tried to kill themselves at least it will keep those thoughts as that, just thoughts"

Schizophrenic1990 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2018