User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Paranoid Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Risperidone reviews 255 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Risperidone

For Paranoid Disorder: "I've been on Risperidone for a long time now, and I think it's working great for me. I use to have paranoid thoughts, but after taking Risperidone, I've gained trust in other people more. I think it helped my paranoid thoughts go away by leveling out my mood and anxiety. I think I genetically get anxiety passed down from relatives, but who really knows. I hope I stay on Risperidone for a long time.I didn't even gain weight on it. If you have anxiety tell your doctor to put you on Risperidone."

Patient0101 July 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Risperidone a number of months ago after a psychotic episode. I'm prone to episodes of psychosis especially with very bad agitation, paranoia, and delusions and have been hospitalised before for this. I've been on Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Amisulpride, Clopixol (depot injection) and Clozapine. I am currently taking 3mg of Risperidone along wIth Venlafaxine. I take it before bed at night. It gives me a nice calm relaxed feeling and I find I can usually sleep better with less anxiety and voices at night. I don't suffer side effects and I think if people practice mindful eating and try to exercise a bit then they shouldn't gain weight, I haven't. I think this drug controls my symptoms well and stops mania."

Dayna01 July 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started this medicine about 3 weeks ago and am on good terms. Before I was borderline bipolar where I would start getting depressed randomly which would lead to fights with my mom :(. It has helped!"

Catmarelio July 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have just started taking this medication and it numbs me to everything. Slight drooling from the mouth and a stiff tongue leading me to slurred speech. No manic thoughts, but it is hindering any effective behavior and motivation. Very difficult to do simple chores like pulling weeds and is very difficult for me to focus."

mneedshelp1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have been on this medication longer than any other medication I have ever been on. Its been four and a half years, mostly on and I feel like this medication let me sleep better than all other medications I had been on until Saphris. I gained weight, but not too much about 25 pounds over the course of four and half years. I am a man, and I have noticed enlargement of the breasts development of female breast tissue. I'm coming off Risperidone now and I will see what the withdrawal effects are. Last time I came off meds I had a manic episode which was quite embarrassing. I held a job at Walmart for 2 and a half years. I would say though that the biggest drawback is its effect on diminishing the user's willpower."

JediBill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "i was on this med for 4 years it does work but the weight gain is bad i gained 125 pounds in 4 years the doc never said anything i went in and told him to switch meds the new med is really expensive but i lost 40 lb in 6 months do not take cheap generic drugs."

scott975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "on this drug for about 4yrs went from 155 to almost 300 lbs in 4 yrs it attacks the kidneys and you fill up with water off it now lost about 60 lbs in 8months"

scott001 June 25, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "My son took Risperdal for 8 years. Then developed Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia He had to have surgery to insert Deep Brain Stimulator to help control his movement disorder."

Cindymh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

For Autism: "My son is autistic, diagnosed when he was 3. Until then he looked a "normal child". He started taking Risperdal at 5 (1mg/day)and was the most efficient drug he experimented to calm down and avoid aggressive fits. Now, at 20 Years old, he takes 4-6 mg Risperidone a day, but he is tall and strong, weights 82 kg. The only problem is that he has epilepsy and Risperidone reduces the effect of Tegretol. We found out that we hav)e to give him the dose of Tegretol first and only after 20minutes give risperidone, He started a complement which is Diazepine (only if needed) and Olanzapina (3mg)- which is more effective and can even be a susbstitute for resperidone but seems to have more side effects (he speaks less and feels morning drowsiness)"

Ana B (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "It def helped with my mania,I just feel slightly off on it but it has helped a lot I take this and celexa to help with my obsessing but the risperdal made me gain weight,I went from 120-125 to 140 I'm so unhappy bout the weight gain I'm going to try to switch medications&will come back to this if I have 2,trying 2 find something better but this def helped my mania and doesn't make me real tired like seroquel and abilify or almost pass out like geodon"

Steffy Stef (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Horrrible !!! ...made me silent & socially disabled sucked happiness just feeling irritated & flat ..wasn't effective at all for my symptoms also increased anxiety dramatically when I upped the dose to 4mg..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am a White Female that was prescribed this med, and the results are pretty good. It is covered by my health insurance, filled at a local pharmacy, and given by a nurse that visits our home. I was concerned when I heard about side effects in others, although I feel well. I am over 21, and hopefully this was a good med for me and others. I am a nice girl, and thank you."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took Risperdal (Resperidone) for about five years. It effectively managed my maina/hypomania and gave me no obvious side effects towards the beginning. Pros -Effectively worked -Helped with hypomania -Helped with mania Cons -Developed Hyperprolactinemia -From ^^^ i developed amenorrhea and weight gain -Mental Slowness (things were harder to learn and harder to remember) It's a good medication that worked for me, but I had unfortunate side effects. Everyone is different so don't automatically discount the drug if you are just starting it based on everyone else's experience. It DID work for me the way it was supposed to, but I also had side effects so I had to switch it. I'm giving it 8 out of 10 because it DID manage my BPD well."

ObjectiveReview (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

For Depression: "I have OCD, GAD, panic attacks, depression. I was on respirdone several years ago at 2 mg and then 3 mg, and it worked great. I forget why I was taken off of it, but a little over a month ago, I was put back on it; however, I had to switch to name brand then because the generic of Risperdal was making me not be able to think and almost be in a trance. Now I am on 1 mg of brand name risperdal and it works very well for alll these problems (I also am on some other meds with it) but especially my OCD."

Anxietygirl74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Made me want to try suicide"

wreane May 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Took this for mania in Bipolar Disorder. I can say that it helped with mania, but it did so in a way that was disabling in other parts of my brain. I could not be still with my feet, I always had an urge to move and shuffle my feet. I was always tired and exhausted despite getting 8+ hours of sleep. One side benefit, my nervous habits of picking my fingers, bouncing foot or biting at fingers was totally gone. This drug also caused some insomnia which required me to take another drug to help with sleeping. This is probably the worst drug I have tried in relation to Bipolar."

Manuel231 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was in the hospital for stress over life situations and a break down. At a weak moment I was givin Risperidone . It only took one tablet and here I am 7 days later with severe dizziness confusion and sound sensitivity . I had no idea this was a anti psycoctic . I only have anxiety and immediately was alarmed . Will this go away !? Or is my brain ruined forever . This drug should be taken off the market ."

Anonymous May 6, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "2mg very effective for psychotic symptoms - delusions and intrusive thoughts. Gained 40 pounds in 3 months. Came off, however, going back on. Hoping Metformin will reduce the weight gain. Would recommend."

Nance34 May 2, 2016

For Anxiety: "My son just started on this med. for anxiety which is causing seizures or the feeling of a seizure coming on causes him to get anxious. First dose at night 1 mg. with in 30 min. he started to slur his words real bad. He was in the hospital at the time so we pointed it out to them. They just told us he had to get use to the risperidone. So he went to sleep. The next morning he was give .5. He became very restless we thought it was from being in the hospital for 4 days. He kept pacing back and forth fidgeting with stuff for hours. Then all of a sudden he started slurring his words and became hard to understand. He told me his tongue was rolling up, and gagging, then his eyes started rolling up. Had to get emergency meds."

Anonymous May 1, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "My experience with this med so far has been good, 2 weeks on 2mg. My anxiety is already way down, and the vivid, intrusive thoughts are not quite as bad. My sleep is also much better. It makes me very relaxed and drowsy about an hour after I take it, and I wake up a bit groggy, but coffee gets me going. No problems with sex which is good. I have also experienced a loss of appetite and have lost some weight (I am overweight so this is good). So yeah, losing weight, still have libido and much better sleep. Wish it could go just as well for everyone. Only side effect is a stuffy nose for a few hours after I take it, but I can handle that. First few days were a bit scary as I felt like I had been given a tranquilizer dart lol."

CakePop (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "Been on 2mg once a day for just over 4 months. Mostly wiped out my anxiety and panic attacks, but does nothing for my waves of agitation and irritability. I was reluctant to try it because of the weight gain. Now I regret it, as I have gained 50 pounds!!! I am the heaviest I've ever been and hate it. My pdoc wanted to raise it at last appointment, or try me on another antipsychotic (I didn't realise how heavier I was at that point). I'm gonna choose the latter option when I next see her. The weight gain on this is worse than quetiapine (which I also came off for the same reason)."

jonnyturak (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I had been sick first at 2009. İntense anxiety depression and paranoid thoughts was my symptoms. First doctor told me that Iam bipolar. I Took 1mg at night about 9 months with lustral. I get well. But after I quit I was sick again. Again 1mg at night. But since I was not sleeping more than 4 hours I started seroquel too. Everytime I get well I quit. But I got sick again. Now 2016 and I am using 1.5mg more than 1 years. I am more depressed than ever. I dont want to do anything but lay on bed. I think it prevents dopamin too much and I dont want to do anything. I get lazy and afraid of not doing my daily job. May be I will change risperdal."

Benicci March 26, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "I was taking this for 1 year! this drug does miracles!!!! I started with injection 50 mg every 15 days Now I take only 7mg!! I can lift weights again!!!!No depression or anxiety!!! Or paranoia!!!!"

Kostas93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 25, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "My brother is on this medication, 8mg over 24 hours, he takes 5mg in the morning and 3mg at night. He has been taking risperidone for just over a year now, he was diagnosed with schizofernia January 2015, the doctors have prescribed different doses of this medication, however it is not effective as it first was, this dose was the highest he has been given compared to other doses throughout the year, he has become very depressed, cannot concentrate well, avoid any social interaction, has some delusions and he feels like he has no emotion and his brain is blank.. So in conclusion I think it's time that the doctor changes his medication, because it doesn't seem to be working well."

Moonlight NJ March 23, 2016

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "The first time I took risperidone I became extremely drowsy which made me a bit nervous but the drowsiness went away after the first three days. I also had horrendous nightmares so I switched to taking it in the morning and the nightmares went away. On the positive side my auditory and visual hallucinations completely went away immediately which enabled me to make it to therapy more frequently and sleep more often and slowly over years build up a healthy and stabilizing lifestyle. It also helped with increasing my attention and memory. I noticed some weight gain and slightly lower libido. I have taken it regularly for a couple years and weened off it. I have now been off for two and a half years with almost zero returning symptoms."

Ughughvom March 17, 2016