User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Nightmares 1 reviews 0 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Risperidone reviews 268 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Risperidone

For Schizophrenia: "For me, it made my brain function slow down which made my issues worse. It made it harder to think and I was just mentally slower. It gave me energy but not in a good way. The energy combined with slowed brain function made me want to stop taking medication all together. I wouldn't take this ever again. I took thee pill form."

JJ74 September 17, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was on this "medicine" for 4 years ( ages 14 to 18) it is honestly one of the worst medicines i have ever taken. It not only sapped me of all of my strength and will power, but it increased my agitation to unseen levels ( i had a pretty bad temper before this but i had learned to control it) it mad me gain over 150lbs in that 4 year period( i was at 120lbs when i started it and 375lbs when i stopped taking it)it also got me to the point i felt nothing but anger and when i wasnt riled up i was a blank mask of indifference, not only that but i have been off of it for 4 years now and i still have trouble controlling my anger and weight. Plus i have this problem where i can't stop moving(mostly my legs and the right side of my neck)"

Dark Messiah September 14, 2016

For Autism: "Our 13 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD at age 6. He is now 13 and in full blown puberty. Prozac and Focalin were no longer working for him. We went to a top pediatric psychiatrist and he changed our sons diagnosis to Aspergers or now High Functioning autism. He prescribed Risperdal and told us this medication would act like "glue" and keep all the connections in his brain together. 3 days later we were in the emergency room because our son was suffering with severe dystonia. It was the scariest thing I ever witnessed. We are now working with a pediatric neurologist to find a medication that will work for him."

Doodsmom (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'd like to issue a warning to anyone using this medicine. Be aware that it can cause akathisia, a movement disorder characterized by extreme restlessness, the constant need to move, anxiety and severe dysphoria. I had no name for my problem, and it was difficult to describe. I consulted my doctor and described the basic symptoms but he told me that it was my bipolar disorder causing this problem, not the medicine. He proceeded to tell me that the medicine was simply becoming ineffective. A week or two after I stopped this drug I felt better. If you are prescribed this medication and experience ANY signs of akathisia (google it if you have to), be adamant with your doctor that the symptoms appeared after you started taking the medicine."

person1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was reckless my heart pounded and nose bled every day worst antipsychotic I have tried"

Fido hammerfist August 19, 2016

Risperdal Consta (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Worst experience on this drug!! Developed sciatica, gained fifty pounds on it and had my first gallstones flare up on it. Was on it for about six months. Beware!! Make sure whomever injects knows how to do it. Was in pain from the sciatica for about a year after discontinuing the drug."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was the WORST drug I have been on since I was diagnosed in 1998. I was on the injection for about six months, gained a lot of weight (50 pounds) and had a horrible gallstones flare up in which I was diagnosed with the condition (after fainting in public). I was put back on abilify and prefer the oral pill every day to the injection! One nurse didn't inject me correctly and I developed sciatica for longer than I was on the medication!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I took this medicine for 2 weeks now.I am feeling much better with no episodes of mania.But I have terribly sleepy with this med as i take it twice daily..I am thinking to just take it at night..it might work better then"

lounee (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffered from panic disorder and during a low point a psychiatrist prescribed risperidone. After 3 days my panic was gone completely. This is a life saver. I only used it short term, 10 days, and would do it again. It has been 4 years since I took it and i still cannot believe what a life changing experience it was. It felt like my brain started thinking logically again."

Akme7 August 11, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Drug worked getting rid of psychosis but made it hard to think or function. I was sectioned for two months for severe psychosis, was put on it for 2 years. Have now been off it for 3yrs and no signs of psychosis since leaving hospital so almost stable for 5years so I would have to say it was a success. However could not function fully until I came off it due to the severe brain fog it causes."

Likely story (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "This was the first AAP I was on. It worked really quickly (within a month). But it had serious side effects, worst of all being significant weight gain. I gained about 12kg on it. It also made me sleep a lot more. If it weren't for the weight gain, it's a great AAP."

The Mad King August 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "My daughter was given risperdone for anxiety and agitation she experiences with medical procedures. I was a little reluctant to give it to her seeing as she is #1 A TODDLER #2 SEIZURE ACTIVITY #3 TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY in past medical history. I was prescribed this medication by her Neurologist! I have never been so scared un my life...my child had severe visionary problems, nasal congestion and increased heart rate with the first dose. She seemed to literally go Blind! Please ask for alternative meds especially if your child is very young. I am beyond livid and confused about why she was ever prescribed this medication in the first place. Please don't put another baby through this (or parent)...Just Don't"

2 yr old Toddler (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

For Paranoid Disorder: "I have had three serious psychotic events in my life. The first was Post Partum Psychosis and hospitalization, the second was a breakthrough of my medication about 16 years later, at that time I was taking Mellaril and Zoloft. I gradually weaned from the Mellaril because I was concerned about tardive disconecia. I was fine for the next eight years, and had another psychotic break while under some extreme stress. At that time, my physician added the Risperdal, and I had rapid disappearance off the anxiety and paranoia (it took about a week), and back to work in about a month. I have continued in a high functioning position as a university professor since that time, for the last twelve years, with no additional episodes."

Ms. O. (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2016

For Paranoid Disorder: "I've been on Risperidone for a long time now, and I think it's working great for me. I use to have paranoid thoughts, but after taking Risperidone, I've gained trust in other people more. I think it helped my paranoid thoughts go away by leveling out my mood and anxiety. I think I genetically get anxiety passed down from relatives, but who really knows. I hope I stay on Risperidone for a long time.I didn't even gain weight on it. If you have anxiety tell your doctor to put you on Risperidone."

Patient0101 July 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Risperidone a number of months ago after a psychotic episode. I'm prone to episodes of psychosis especially with very bad agitation, paranoia, and delusions and have been hospitalised before for this. I've been on Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Amisulpride, Clopixol (depot injection) and Clozapine. I am currently taking 3mg of Risperidone along wIth Venlafaxine. I take it before bed at night. It gives me a nice calm relaxed feeling and I find I can usually sleep better with less anxiety and voices at night. I don't suffer side effects and I think if people practice mindful eating and try to exercise a bit then they shouldn't gain weight, I haven't. I think this drug controls my symptoms well and stops mania."

Dayna01 July 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started this medicine about 3 weeks ago and am on good terms. Before I was borderline bipolar where I would start getting depressed randomly which would lead to fights with my mom :(. It has helped!"

Catmarelio July 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have just started taking this medication and it numbs me to everything. Slight drooling from the mouth and a stiff tongue leading me to slurred speech. No manic thoughts, but it is hindering any effective behavior and motivation. Very difficult to do simple chores like pulling weeds and is very difficult for me to focus."

mneedshelp1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have been on this medication longer than any other medication I have ever been on. Its been four and a half years, mostly on and I feel like this medication let me sleep better than all other medications I had been on until Saphris. I gained weight, but not too much about 25 pounds over the course of four and half years. I am a man, and I have noticed enlargement of the breasts development of female breast tissue. I'm coming off Risperidone now and I will see what the withdrawal effects are. Last time I came off meds I had a manic episode which was quite embarrassing. I held a job at Walmart for 2 and a half years. I would say though that the biggest drawback is its effect on diminishing the user's willpower."

JediBill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "i was on this med for 4 years it does work but the weight gain is bad i gained 125 pounds in 4 years the doc never said anything i went in and told him to switch meds the new med is really expensive but i lost 40 lb in 6 months do not take cheap generic drugs."

scott975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "on this drug for about 4yrs went from 155 to almost 300 lbs in 4 yrs it attacks the kidneys and you fill up with water off it now lost about 60 lbs in 8months"

scott001 June 25, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "My son took Risperdal for 8 years. Then developed Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia He had to have surgery to insert Deep Brain Stimulator to help control his movement disorder."

Cindymh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

For Autism: "My son is autistic, diagnosed when he was 3. Until then he looked a "normal child". He started taking Risperdal at 5 (1mg/day)and was the most efficient drug he experimented to calm down and avoid aggressive fits. Now, at 20 Years old, he takes 4-6 mg Risperidone a day, but he is tall and strong, weights 82 kg. The only problem is that he has epilepsy and Risperidone reduces the effect of Tegretol. We found out that we hav)e to give him the dose of Tegretol first and only after 20minutes give risperidone, He started a complement which is Diazepine (only if needed) and Olanzapina (3mg)- which is more effective and can even be a susbstitute for resperidone but seems to have more side effects (he speaks less and feels morning drowsiness)"

Ana B (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "It def helped with my mania,I just feel slightly off on it but it has helped a lot I take this and celexa to help with my obsessing but the risperdal made me gain weight,I went from 120-125 to 140 I'm so unhappy bout the weight gain I'm going to try to switch medications&will come back to this if I have 2,trying 2 find something better but this def helped my mania and doesn't make me real tired like seroquel and abilify or almost pass out like geodon"

Steffy Stef (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Horrrible !!! ...made me silent & socially disabled sucked happiness just feeling irritated & flat ..wasn't effective at all for my symptoms also increased anxiety dramatically when I upped the dose to 4mg..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am a White Female that was prescribed this med, and the results are pretty good. It is covered by my health insurance, filled at a local pharmacy, and given by a nurse that visits our home. I was concerned when I heard about side effects in others, although I feel well. I am over 21, and hopefully this was a good med for me and others. I am a nice girl, and thank you."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2016