User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Tic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Agitation 3 reviews 6 medications

2.7
Summary of Risperidone reviews 334 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Risperidone

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "My mother was prescribed risperidone for a mood disorder at 81. It was a god send, she was a nuisance living on her own in the community and thought she was in witness protection for something she couldn't really explain. It settled her down and made her more approachable. The only problem was she didn't sleep and used to call out to the staff all night and disturb everyone. She still has her good and bad days, but overall it was beneficial and we can reason with her these days, where prior she would just tell us all to get knicked."

phoebe60 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I took this medication for about 5-6 years, I eventually had to stop taking it because ironically it made my anxiety horribly worse and it caused the start of my paranoia"

WaywardSister5 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication gave me severe anxiety and disassociation-like feelings. I felt as if I was being dragged from reality. It was used as an antipsychotic for my bipolar disorder. I highly recommend you try Abilify instead if you have similar symptoms like I did."

kayyyyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Risnia/Risperdal for a few years now. Currently on a dosage of 2mg of the generic Risnia. As an answer to Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features this drug works wonders and I have been without relapse for 3 years now. My biggest frustration however is the weight gain. I have put on 8 kg during this time and I eat like a bird. I have tried a number of diets and exercise 3-4 times per week. My psychiatrist mentioned slightly decreasing the dosage every second day and see if that helps. I will try this as soon as I get a new script with 1mg pills. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?"

NormalLife (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Saved my life. Was put on this in the hospital and my depression was out of the suicidal level in three days. About 5 days on it now and have had some recurring moderate depression, however my pdoc says it should take full effect in 2-4 weeks."

greenfish77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've always experienced generalized anxiety disorder but after 6 months of Ritalin for my ADHD the symptoms of anxiety worsened a lot, specifically evening/night, when ritalin starts wearing off. I was experiencing racing thoughts a lot and to leave the house to do something outdoor was struggle. My doc put me on Risperidone at 1mg day at night. I'm on it for almost 1 month now and it has been helping a lot. No more racing thoughts, a lot calmer, start sleeping more easily. The only side effects that I had were decreased sex drive and eating a lot at night (which actually is good for me because with Ritalin you are never hungry). Would def recommend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "I can't lose any weight on this medication. I hate it. This manufacturer should make a medication with a weight loss additive in it. Some poor people want to lose weight, this medication makes it impossible."

Va Ra August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitation: "Not sure if I want my child who has aggression to take this because Dr. says it could cause diabetes! My family has a history of diabetes so why should I allow my 10 yr old daughter to take this pill and ruin her life with diabetes! Also my 10 yr old was the tiniest out of my 1st born and I believe she has gained a lot of weight but the Dr. claims she didn't gain any! For being 10 she weighs 75 lbs. She is 1/4 of the way to being the the same weight as my 16 yr old. Don't think I want to wait another 6 yrs to see what her weight is then!:("

Shawndeebrit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Risperdal has made my life manageable again. I suffer from PTSD and schizophrenia primarily with thought disorder (although I have hallucinated and heard voices). I used to scream in my sleep and thought everyone was trying to kill me. When I started risperdal the terrifying thoughts stopped and my behavior returned to normal. I take risperdal with a combination of gabapentin and zoloft. I now have a very good job and good relationships with my friends, family, and co-workers. There are downsides to this drug such as weight gain. I gained a lot of weight the first two years I started taking risperdal. It is important to note that I have since lost a good bit of the weight I have gained."

Charlotte9688 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "My brother is on this medication and it changed his life. When he is compliant (2mg each night) he is fully functional again. When he stops he gradually declines until it becomes almost impossible to convince him that he needs the medication to be able to live. It's sad to see so many people focus on the side effects when those things can be controlled and treated - better to experience the minimal side effects than letting your brain get damaged by the illness."

BrotherBear (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Paranoid Disorder: "I am taking 4mg of risperidone for 6 years. I was feeling much better. Now a month ago my blood glucose has gone up and my doctor told me I can't have sugar any more . I have stop having my period 6 month ago . I am worrying . "

Jennifer. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism: "My son has Autism Severe learning disabilities. I really didn't want him on any medication, cause of side effects. But my son was having such bad meltdown's of past abuse with his respite and school, He would punch hard his both ears and face, head, throw smash things, I have tried to stop him and he's attacked me punched me and scammed me. It's very upsetting seeing your son having meltdowns My son was put on respiritone 0.5mg one in morning and one evening I can honestly say he's never been so calm, concentration is amazing, it's taken his anxiety away He's much better in crowds when walking, when he's out and about he's fine with noises he couldn't cope before like noisy bikes children screaming. Calm, talks more sentences FAB!!!"

Chrisy53 August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "I was a zombie, I felt NOTHING for weeks on end. It helps, but its not worth it."

Murrdoc August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Please please do not take this drug it destroyed my life,once you take it you are completely dependant on it and trying to stop it can cause brain damage,It is the most horrific med."

Donttakethismed July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I loved my life after taking these drugs. I couldn't sleep well and had a severe anxiety.. Along with taking these medication the psychologist help me relief my anxiety... Plus I was given the proper diet plan with it and some other medicines to improve my anxiety"

Shafshafo July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is ahorrid med. Made me hallucinate and tons of other stuff"

BentBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Please avoid this medication at all cost,it is impossible to get off. I have tried twice and ended up in total disaster.The first time I tried to get off it I end up completely constipated and three years later I am still badly constipated. It changed some mechanism responsible for that during withdrawal. The second time I tried to come off it I ended up with Anhedonia which Is an inability to enjoy things, when I look at food now it's like looking at a rock, no reaction. These drugs cause total dependancy, completely change the brain and cause brain damage and are not the answer. Please just see a shaman/healer and get an auric sweep and clear out the negative entities that cause schizophrenia. Its worked for thousands of years."

Lavenderr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I got fat from zyprexa from 170lbs to 226lbs so I told my doctor, I am not taking anymore anti-psychotics. I was tired of being fat so I stopped but felt miserable and like dying of mental pain. I took adderall from another doctor and I went from 226 to 196lbs (she got mad) so she told me she was going to put me on risperidone she told me that 1mg is a very low does it shouldn't cause weight gain. So I took it for a month and my bi-polar was under control and felt better and normal but then people at work started telling me if I gained weight? So I went home and weighed myself and went from 196 to 210 so I gained 14lbs. I immediately stopped and told her I want something else so she gave me haloperidol. so am going to see what happens"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is the best medicine for sleep and having no manic problems. But I was 98 pounds (super tiny) now 203lb from risperdal. What is the point of being on something if it works for biploar but makes you obese?"

risperdalmakesufat (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitation: "Back in my early 20's, I started experiencing severe agitation, anxiety, mood swings, and couldn't think straight, along with OCD etc. I finally went to see a psychiatrist. He put me on Paxil, Klonopin, and Risperdal. When I 1st started this combo of drugs, I felt very good, very clear headed. It almost seemed like I was myself again. After a few years, the side effects started brewing. My anxiety returned in full force, my thoughts were disorganized once again, and I began itching all over my body, especially my legs and feet. My bladder went bad. Gained weight. From the get go, Risperdal made me EXTREMELY ANXIOUS upon taking it. It was the culprit behind my itchy skin and bladder issues too. BE CAREFUL. Caused SEVERE INNER RESTLESSNESS!"

Birdman80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Bad experience. Psych used it to 'augment' mirtazapine. Wake feeling drugged and nauseous with headache, takes all day to feel able to function. Don't know if its the combo or just not right meds for me. He wants to try olanzapine next, I'm very reluctant. Need a better Dr I think."

Nothingworks (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Had it with Azolam (alprazolam) ended up sitting all day on the couch, not being able to do anything. Gained weight, lost interest in life and had a memory loss. The pain I was in prior to therapy was better than the price I paid after taking these medicines."

Sad Tiger (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking this medication for about a year. I started off with 0.5 mg. I was still having some evening anxiety so I asked to be moved to 1 mg dosage. I still had occasional anxiety in the evenings, so I asked to be moved to 1-2 mg dosage. I find that moving up to a 2 mg dosage causes me some drowsy issues and I am currently tweaking it to where I need it. My anxiety is like nothing I have ever seen or heard anyone experience. I know there are other people out there that have the same issues. I think it helps stabilize my highs and lows. I am more a bipolar type 2 person, which means my depressions are slight and my hypo-mania is somewhat great because I feel I can take on the world."

David29303 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism: "My grandson started on risperidone when he was four years old. He was having difficulties at daycare very violent and aggressive and hurting himself and others. The drug was a lifesaver he was able to function and get along with others and become more productive. We did try to take him off a few months ago and everything came back. We tried Abilify and that did not work at all so we put them back on the Risperidone 2 weeks later is a much happier child I definitely recommend it!"

Grandma and Mom June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was on this drug for 6 years. I experienced some serious side effects, such as somnolence and vivid nightmares, which at the beginning I wrote off as getting adjusted to the medications I was taking and coming to terms with everything that happened before my diagnosis (Bipolar II). Years went on and it didn't get better. About 3 years in, I started developing a tic. I went to my doctor to discuss coming off the medication, I started sliding back into a full relapse. My doctor advised that I should go back on the medication, which I did. Back in February of this year (2017) I was completely fed up with never feeling like I slept long enough, the nightmares, and the tic, and came off of it. I haven't felt better in a long time."

Radrach23 June 7, 2017