User Reviews for Risperidone

Agitation
4.2

Summary of Risperidone reviews 5.9 444 reviews

Reviews for Risperidone

For Schizophrenia: "I am on this medication now for about 8 months first I experienced some bad side effects like difficulty of swallowing and some other side effects now its good not a major difference in my life but stable"

Skander (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was put on 2mg of risperidone as an adjunct to Mirtazapine for anxiety. I was incredibly reluctant to take it, it's an anti-psychotic after all, and I was terrified it would make me into a drooling zombie. For the first few days I felt awful. My anxiety turned into full-on paranoia and I could hardly think or speak clearly. Then suddenly I woke up and felt calm and collected. No more racing thoughts, no more battles inside my own head. I'm so grateful for this medication. My only regret is that I took so long thinking I could cure myself with exercise, faddy diets and supplements. I should have gone on this a long time ago. To anyone who is worried about going on this - don't be. When it works, it works brilliantly."

Ginkgo Leaf (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Doctor put me on this Escitalopram 10mg and it is not for me ! But the Risperidone works great , it keeps me calm and collective. I want to be on the lowest dose possible for ptsd anxiousness anxiety and mood swings. It has helped me a lot, but putting on weight is going to be annoying"

Mattycat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2019

For Schizophrenia: "I have been on 4mg of risperidone for about 10 years and have felt stable and normal for a long time. I also use Alprazolam or Xanax for my anxiety disorder which keeps my mood and thoughts happy and very social. Nothing else has worked I've tried Zoloft which was terrible for me, now I am trying Abilify will tell you how it goes with that but I always fall back to Risperidone!"

Quietgirl June 11, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "So a couple of years back, I was admitted into the hospital UNIT, for extreme depression and anxiety. I was admitted for 3 days and was prescribed risperidone, this medication made me go absolutely crazy. I thought I was hearing/seeing things that weren't there, hallucinations etc, so on I gave it a chance and there was no changes, so I had to go off the medication. My body did not need the medication and I was only in the hospital for the extreme depression/anxiety, and did not know this medication was an antipsychotic, the psychiatrist made a mistake. Not all medications are for everyone but I would not go back on this medication if you paid me to. Scary what some meds can do!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "For me, risperidone was horrible. It made me feel like my skin was crawling and gave me a horrible feeling I can't even describe. Taking this med was like drug-induced torture. I took it for severe panic attacks, depression, and autism spectrum disorder. It did not help at all. Luckily, my doctor found something (Remeron and Pristiq) that actually works."

Khaleesi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Have been taking Risperodal for almost a year now. I tried Seroquel before for some months but it made me super drowsy throughout the day and I couldn’t function. I take Risperdal for severe depression, mania, and extreme hallucinations. I would see cartoons and things appear before me, hear voices/sounds in my ears, or feel things on me for (someone patting my back or grabbing my legs when I’m alone in the room). I started off taking 0.5 mg once a day then upped it to 1mg. Was on 1mg for a while. It worked well for me. I stopped seeing hallucinations and for the most part my mania and depression and lessened or gone away. I woke up every day feeling refreshed. Even my period cramps were usually less painful than before. Everything would go downhill when I decided to stop the medication, all the symptoms would come back quickly and badly. Didn’t gain significant weight from the meds and I’ve had moderate acne. Seems like it’s going to be really hard to leave this medication."

Jello June 8, 2019

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "OMGoodness, terrible drug, fine for the first 6 months then anxiety, no sexual pleasure all gone, made me very tired, I lost all interest in life. suicidal, depressed, couldn't be bothered to brush my teeth when I woke up as I was to tired, I look and feel like a tramp it has turned me into a soap dodger, messes with the receptors in the brain, cigarettes, tea and coffee and fast food never tasted the same no buzz. I wake after 3 or 4 hours sleep and I am still having trouble with sleep staying up all night and sleeping through the day, I have been off it for 2 months now and I started getting ringing and piecing sounds in the ears after being off it for about 3 weeks and this could be permanent. Should ban this dangerous drug don't think I will be able to return to work. Best regards Lucky"

Geo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2019

For Schizophrenia: "This medication worked very well for my condition.l stopped this medication immediately as l developed severe neurological symptoms like parasthesias in the feet and blurred vision"

Tina June 2, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: "Couldn't sweat/exercise. I Had horrible tardive dyskinesia (flexing my lips all the time), tremors, mood swings, black spots in vision, overheating, overeating, dropped out of college because I could no longer write and even had trouble focusing on simple reading. Then I stopped drinking 6 cups of coffee a day and succumbed to the med and all it did was put me away for 12+ hours. I couldn't do anything but eat. I thought my life was over. When I came off the drug, even when I tapered, I experienced hallucinations (more black spots, fuzzy vision). A lot of my "delusions" were fear that I had MS. This phobia ruled my life until all of the risperdal was out of my system along with the rebound anxiety with it. Took it for 4 months and gained 70 lbs. I feel like this kind of medication is overprescribed all of the time. I'm back on track with my life now and I'll never touch another med of this classification again. I feel insulted that someone tried to do this to me."

Kinde May 29, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Asperger Syndrome: "My son was given risperidone at ~age 6. Took it for 2 weeks. He became a blob. Sure, the teachers loved it. He was sweet, not hyper, easy to manage. Downside? Yeah, he was a blob of a kid just sitting there dull as can be and then on his tiny frame gained TEN POUNDS IN TWO WEEKS. Two. He couldn't even put his jeans on! OMG. I took him off of it... and he was back to being hyper, laughing, fun but annoying. So, suck it up, teachers. He just is what he is. Needless to say today, a few years later, after ABA therapy and other therapy he's just fine. Stay away. I also found out that Risperdal causes boys to sprout breasts and lactate. The next psych we had said NEVER put a boy on that medication... they grow breasts. So yeah, not a good med for us."

MommyOne May 26, 2019

For Depression: "Been on Risperidone LS 3mg for a year for Manic Depression. I also take lithium and an antidepressant. I tried quetipine but it made me sleep all day long. Risperidon has got rid of my suicidal thoughts, manic episodes and constant self talk/conversations. The only weird side effect is that I have these very long lasting ultra realistic dreams. It's almost like you are still awake. Unfortunately all I have are major nightmares since the past 20 years or so. And now they are very very real."

obscure May 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and psychosis. I have been risperidone already for 2 months and I don't like the way I feel. I am more like a zombie. I have no motivation at all, I don't want to do anything, energy levels are very low. Gaining weight, no matter how I eat. My thinking and processing of information is very slow. I have memory problems with it. I used to sports a lot but now I feel weak and with no power. I am going to talk to my doctor for different medication. The only plus is that I sleep well, but in the morning I don't want to even start my day. I feel emotionless."

Valentin (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2019

For Depression: "I don’t like and I do like respiridone. It helped me with some anxiety and some depression but I would always be drowsy and normally completely emotionless. But I hated feeling sleepy so I stopped taking them and my body didn’t like having to naturally deal with emotions and depression so then I went into a deep depression but natural remedies for depression are a lot better than respiridone."

Thatmans May 18, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Asperger Syndrome: "This drug for me was horrific. I was on it a couple of years ago and after only being on it a couple of weeks I ended up in hospital with a high fever and severe confusion , the doctors thought at first I had meningitis bit it turns out I was having a bad reaction to drug. I couldn't remember a lot of things and had kidney problems. The medical staff were very rude and secretive about my reaction the the drug. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TAKING THIS DRUG, ask plenty of questions and get started on a small dose, if anything seems off please tell your doctor immediately."

Rebecca24 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2019

For Autism: "I am an adult with high functioning autism and ADHD. My sensory overload, anxiety, and meltdowns have been well controlled with benzodiazepines and my ADHD with dextroamphetamine. However, my nephew's psychiatrist does not believe in benzodiazepines and chose to medicate his autism-related anxiety, agoraphobia, and tearfulness with this medication, which is an antipsychotic NOT a medication for anxiety or depression. As a result, my nephew became agitated and self-injurious for the first time ever, claiming he wanted to claw his skin off. Please watch for these reactions, these meds are not a benign panacea. My nephew is very short and of average weight, which is irrelevant. He is also less sad and anxious, and thriving academically since his new doctor took him off Risperdal and onto low dose Ativan as needed, Ritalin and Guanfacine."

AutistUncleAutisticNephew May 6, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I have Psychosis NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) and I am currently taking 2 mg. once daily. My temperament is better. I am not as easily agitated and sleep better at night. Prior to Respirdal I had severe insomnia and was easily moved to anger. On the down side I gained 20 lbs in about 2 months, my affect is flat and my energy level is very low. I force myself to exercise but I seem to be experiencing muscle tiredness and some coordination problems. I plan to speak w/ my doctor for med adjustment."

Jace (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "BEST add on Antipsychotic ever in conjunction with SSRI Zoloft. Only downfalls are the zombie sleepy like effects that occur after you take the tablet, but next morning you might feel a lil groggy but it passes quick. It also severely increases appetite and desire to search for food and chocolate. But for OCD/Flashbacks it is well, I cannot comment on its efficacy as a standalone medication but added on with a SSRI, it is fantastic. I used to be on 3MG, stopped for a while, Doctor put me back on 2mg."

Peter245 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2019

For Agitation: "I wrote the other glowing review of this medication and I couldn’t figure out how to update it. But I wanted to give people hope who are trying this medication. My son has now been on it for 5 months and the positive changes have been amazing - his problems were irritable behavior, anger and aggression . We were able to go on vacation as a family for the first time because of it. My son was excited, happy and had so much fun. A year ago I thought he was going to need to be institutionalized. I know everyone is different and this medication can be harsh on the body but my son is really doing great on it! Start off on a small dose. My son takes .25 mg/day and it is having a huge impact."

Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was forced to end taking haldol 2.5 mg/night after 27 1/2 years -over 10000 days- because they stopped making it. I was prescribed risperdal. I started at 2mg a day and they reduced the dosage to 1 mg. I also stopped cogentin and Prozac because of strong discomfort. After around 40-50 days of risperdal I didn't sleep as well and felt utterly horrible like a zombie- like it was torturing and destroying my brain. I came to my senses and rid myself of all medication whatsoever since it seemed to be harming my brain and not helping me sleep and have recovered from all mental illness in about 5 days and am getting somewhat less sleep but feel a lot better overall. So the medicine was good in that it convinced me to get rid of it and all medication and completely recover. I believe people who take risperdal should be reviewed after 30-50 days or so and given the option to stop taking it and maybe all medication if they have horrible zombie like side effects like I did."

Hef April 12, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking this few years after I had my son and after some months I started to notice it made me start too lactate again with chest tenderness and swelling. Needless to say I had to stop taking this medication."

Jynxette (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on risperidone for years to help treat my Bipolar 1, but it had more negative side effects than good. Significant weight gain, lethargy, increased anxiety at times, waking up a lot during sleep. The good is that it does slow down my mania pretty well, I’d say I’m 80% manic and 20% depressive. Mania had been causing me problems for years. I had been taking 1mg twice a day and it was too much, and I’m a 6’4” 240 lb man. Risperidone 1mg daily does the trick with less side effects, but definitely talk with your doctor before getting on this med, there are probably better options out there for treatment of bipolar disorder."

Djo (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "After some months on Risperdal, I developed swallowing problems, which led to anxiety. Lowering dose improved but did not eliminate the problem. Later I noticed that I was very tense all the time. I would notice it and make myself relax and then in a few seconds I realized I was all tensed up again. I developed frozen muscles in my forehead. It felt like they had very little feeling..I don't know what you call it but I saw it was listed as a side effect once I looked it up. It went away when I stopped the med. When I stopped this medication, I discovered I had a problem with my tongue. It is like it's too thick or something and doesn't form words as well, so I have a very mild speech impediment now. It is more difficult to speak and I have to be very deliberate in speaking in order to speak clearly and without a lisp."

Shereen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Took two milligrams for one day. Nausea for several days. I actually broke down and cried for hours because it was the closest to torture I had been. I didn't really need it anyway."

BazingaXDDDDDLAMO (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Autism: "I we recently diagnosed with ADHD (Inattentive type) and Autism (Aspergers Type). For years I'd had no luck with SSRI'S having literally tried just about every one. 2mg Risperidone has given me a new sense of calmness and stops me from becoming agitated. I use this along with Concerta XL (27mg) Methylphenidate (5mg) -For ADHD, and Trazodone (150mg) for Insomnia. This medication combination is not without side effects, but the benefits outweigh them. I found I was overeating at first, and put on weight. But thankfully Concerta XL has removed this side-effect. I couldn't live without Risperidone."

caledoniankevin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2019

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)