User Reviews for Risperidone

Nightmares 1.0
Summary of Risperidone reviews 5.7 526 reviews

Reviews for Risperidone

Faz · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Risperidone has been awful for my schizophrenia. I have thought broadcasting, where other people around me can hear my thoughts. After using Risperidone 1-1.5mg, I now have telepathy, which is making my life really difficult. People can now insult me over really long distances by putting their thoughts in my brain. I have telepathy with friends and family, but they are often not nice, and I would rather not be connected with them all the time. Risperidone has made my condition worse, and I now have more than 1 Schneider First Rank Symptom of schizophrenia.”

James June 12, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: “Hello, my name is James and I have Bipolar type 1 disorder. I take 1200mg of lithium, 1mg of Risperdal, and 25mg of Quetiapine. When I initially started the Risperdal, it fired me up with the same effects that I’ve experienced on previous occasions with antidepressants. It also began to mess with my sleeping pattern. For example, I would constantly be waking up two hours before my scheduled time. The good news, however, is that these side effects which I endured were short-lived, and after 3 weeks, they settled down. Any issues that I had previously encountered with regards to psychotic features : Hearing voices and talking to myself excessively, impulsivity, and anxiety all seemed to vanish from the face of my earth.”

Joy bubbler May 23, 2020

For Head Injury: “Risperidone is not that bad. For muscle cramps, shop around. There is Tylenol and Voltaren etc.”

James · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2020

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone): “This drug Risperdal M-tab is awful, I could barely stay awake, I couldn't concentrate, my speech was slurred and I had a hard time just using full sentences. I was prescribed it for depression.”

gatinha · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: “I've tried a lot of different meds, my favorite by far is Lamictal but it stopped working after 10 years. I started risperidone a year ago. It makes me calm, I hardly get angry, I have no anxiety, and I have not had an episode since I started it. I feel great on it in general. The down side -- It makes me lazy, I'm so chill now that I'm totally comfortable just sitting on the couch. I feel relaxed and balanced but without the anxiety I have no reason to get up and "run it off". The biggest and worst issue I have with it is the damn weight gain. I've always been super fit and thin but now I have a belly that I just can't get rid of. If the it didn't work so well for my mood I would get off of it immediately to lose my weight. I would still recommend it and I won't be stopping it anytime soon.”

Clarebear · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “This drug risperidone is absolutely the worst one I have ever taken for my bipolar. Made me feel very anxious and depressed. I will never recommend it. I hate this drug so much.”

fitspoo1911 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I was on Risperidone for 5 weeks, the first 2 weeks were a struggle but by the end of the month it had really tackled my anxiety and hallucinations. It did make my paranoia really bad for a week but apart from that I was starting to feel okay again. I had to stop as I started to lactate and as a 20 year old I found it quite distressing so I was swapped to aripiprazole, I hope this one works as well as risperidone did!”

Tony May 5, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “Horrible”

Blackcat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

For Tic Disorder: “risperidone gave me awful weight gain side effects, made me tired all the time, all on a tiny dose. Made my Tourette's way worse. Can't imagine how bad it would be on a bigger dose. Not worth it.”

Robin April 6, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “On risperidone I have notice I'm a lot better when it come to PTSD. Calmer in situations that I used to react with impulses that is negative to me. No weight Gain, just try to stick with the healthier options of food. :) Have notice its easier to gain weight but that just made me understand I have to control it. Anyway my ADHD , PTSD and psychotic behaviour is much better. Feel normal now and thats is a miracle to me.”

hollowgirl39 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was prescribed risperadone during October 2018 when I was suffering from a psychotic episode from Bipolar 1 disorder. I remember feeling very neutral, slowed down, apathetic and emotionless. I felt like a zombie. I was stiff in the way I moved. I gained 8 pounds in less than 2 weeks and gained even more after that going from 128lb to 148lb unfortunately. I had body issues my whole life and this drug has made me hate my body so much more. The nurses gave me this medication without my consent not telling me about the problems with weight gain. When I expressing concern about it, they did not care. I have no sexual drive at all. I slept 12 hours a day and still felt tired during the day. My prolactin levels were very high. I lost so much hair. I had acne. It was the absolute worst drug of my life. I do not recommend at all. Please avoid at all costs. It ruined my life.”

Deb · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 22, 2020

For Anxiety: “I am tapering off risperidone 1/2 mg per week I was on 2 mg to start with now I’m on 1 mg. Tonight I felt like I was sliding across the bed. But I sleep with my dog and I wasn’t running into my dog and my dog isn’t being pushed off the bed so I know I cannot be moving. But I swear I was. I also have so much saliva that it’s giving me really bad heartburn. Help”

Thriftyd March 14, 2020

For Autism: “Cannot recommend risperidone for autism. If you insist on using, do so with extreme caution!—and careful increasing dose. My son, age 9, was put on low-dose (.25) for meltdowns associated with autism spectrum disorder. He did fine, with complete eradication of meltdowns, for six weeks. Then doctor ordered us to give him a second dose daily. That is when the horrible side effects began: weird flicking gestures with his fingers and hands. He said he was compelled to do it to get rid of an “itch,” but couldn’t express himself very well. At first we thought it was an obsessive-compulsive disorder, perhaps caused by the RESPIRDAL. But then I discovered tardive akathesia — which is a restless syndrome caused by this class of drug and which manifests as weird body movements. No sure diagnosis yet; still weaning him slowly off the drug. But the experience is terrifying—my son is TORMENTED by this urge to flick his hands, and I pray to God it stops, once we end the med. I read that is usually temporary.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I was put on this about 2 years ago! I was hearing things and seeing things and completely lost my mind and was admitted and this is what they put me on! At the time it saved my life and made me feel normal again! But as time went on I noticed I didn’t get excited about anything anymore I had no emotions! I gained a lot of weight I went from 150-210lbs. I stopped having periods. It made me have the worst anxiety ever. I’m currently weaning myself off of it! Come to find out I had an over active thyroid and had radiation done and was told I can come off this medicine! So it was my thyroid that made me go crazy and put on this medicine! I’m glad to say I’m coming off of it! I’m ready to enjoy life and have my feelings back! Hope this helps someone!”

Jj · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 29, 2020

For Head Injury: “I was hit in the head and then smoked weed afterwards. After that I couldn’t even drive I just went to sleep. Time passed and I find myself having psychosis, superhuman behavior. Needless to say I was taken to the hospital after it persisted about three days. That was five years ago. Today I’m doing good on risperadol but I don’t know what would happen if I went off it. I think I was misdiagnosed as a head injury can have some of the same effects as schizophrenia form or affective. The marijuana did not help as I do not know how strong it was.”

GreenBlood · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

For Autism: “My son Is 9, he is suspected ASD high functioning/aspergers. Possible adhd. Is off school due to anxiety. He started on .5mg dose of risperidone twice a day. Has had little effect, today increased to 1mg twice a day. First thing he said after first larger dose, is he noticed he couldn’t make himself think(like he’d normally do before bed, effectively force himself to think to prevent sleep). Hope it works out well, we are desperate for him to be able to return to school without anxiety.”

betrayed February 24, 2020

For Agitation: “I've been on respiridone for about 4-5 months worst antipsychotic I've ever taken. From the first day I took it I felt strange very agitated I just didn't understand why I was feeling like this then over excitement. I admit it helped my delusional thoughts and going out. I want to stop this drug but I think they won't give me another one to try help. What would help with agitation as they said I'm not allowed diazapam anymore I'm stuck for any ideas”

sad · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

For Agitation: “I've been on respiridone for about three months since I started the agitation has got worse also so so nervous with very bad anxiety. I wish I didn't start taking these and I am going to speak to psychiatrist and hope I can go on something with fewer side effects”

puppylove · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: “I was admitted to the hospital and prescribed Risperdal. I recently went from 3mg to 2mg. I've been having really bad swallowing issues on this med and we're hoping the lower dose helps with this. Otherwise a great medicine for me I've been active in the community and able to control some of my unusual thoughts. I would recommend this medication, but be cautious of the side effects. I've been on the med for 2 years now. I gained 40lbs and remarkably I was able to lose 50lbs since starting Risperdal.”

Teetee · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

For Depression: “I have never felt mentally ill before taking this medication. It ruined my life for the 3 months I took it, my anxiety was through the roof, mood was very low every day, crying all the time... just very bad. I am not an anxious person but this really become some depressed anxious mess that I did not recognise”

Druger February 15, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “This was the first antipsychotic I tried for schizophrenia. It did absolutely nothing for me but cause severe anxiety (worse than I already had), made me gain weight and I was tired all the time. Antipsychotics have ruined my health. I used to weigh 160 pounds and was a very thin male, now I'm over 220 pounds. All thanks to antipsychotics. And that weight gain occurred within the first year and a half of starting antipsychotics. I was on Risperidone for about a month before being switched to Zyprexa which made me gain 20+ pounds in one month!”

Leanna February 9, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Weight gain is a problem off the cuff. Take your dose at night otherwise you will sleep all day. Stops mania but keeps you quite numb to all emotions. I've found when depression kicks in it stops the serious lows but you still feel low which is hard to deal with when you don't get any mania. No real side effects for me apart from the weight gain and fatigue.”

Steph · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: “I have such a love hate relationship with risperdal. It helped us during a time when my son was in crisis (has OCD) but the thing is, it loses its effectiveness and we are constantly having to increase or keep him where he is even though it’s not working because weaning off the med is so awful. Honestly, I don’t think the side effects and nightmare of trying to get off this med is worth it, in my opinion.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone): “I was given Risperdal for help with severe anxiety at a 0.5mg dose which the doctor said was a very low dose since I mentioned I am super sensitive to medication. He said it was shown to help people with severe anxiety while also taking fluoxetine. Fluoxetine helped me with panic attacks. I still had racing thoughts, negative intrusive thoughts, always scared of everything, I always feel dizzy but doctors don’t seem to understand why. The doctor did explain that the first 2 weeks I would be extremely tired, while medication adjusts. First dose sleepy. 2 weeks in and I had slurred speech, I got more anxiety because I felt slow. Doctor said get off of it. I did and next I felt I had drank like 10 cups of coffee, I couldn't sleep, I couldn’t think, my mind racing a million times worse. I had worse depression, which was horrible. I had to go to the ER to get some sedatives. It finally took about the same 2 weeks for my symptoms to subsided and felt my body a little relaxed. Also I feel the risperidone took away the effectiveness of my fluoxetine.”

JD · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

For Autism: “My son is 3 yrs old and had high functioning autism, He just started Risperdal 0.25 x 2 daily and it’s only been about two weeks. No major changes other than he has started to calm down much more than he use to be, and just today the weirdest thing happened... he was his normal self all morning playing and running around interacting and then he went down for a nap... when he woke up from his nap he was extremely drowsy and went back to sleep on my chest like almost instantly. It’s been like another hour and he hasn’t budged. I’m starting to worry not gonna lie. I feel like this is definitely a side effect happening to him. I’ll post more as more time passes on this medication.”