User Reviews for Risperidone

Agitation
2.8

Summary of Risperidone reviews 5.9 424 reviews

Reviews for Risperidone

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking this few years after I had my son and after some months I started to notice it made me start too lactate again with chest tenderness and swelling. Needless to say I had to stop taking this medication."

Jynxette (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on risperidone for years to help treat my Bipolar 1, but it had more negative side effects than good. Significant weight gain, lethargy, increased anxiety at times, waking up a lot during sleep. The good is that it does slow down my mania pretty well, I’d say I’m 80% manic and 20% depressive. Mania had been causing me problems for years. I had been taking 1mg twice a day and it was too much, and I’m a 6’4” 240 lb man. Risperidone 1mg daily does the trick with less side effects, but definitely talk with your doctor before getting on this med, there are probably better options out there for treatment of bipolar disorder."

Djo (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "After some months on Risperdal, I developed swallowing problems, which led to anxiety. Lowering dose improved but did not eliminate the problem. Later I noticed that I was very tense all the time. I would notice it and make myself relax and then in a few seconds I realized I was all tensed up again. I developed frozen muscles in my forehead. It felt like they had very little feeling..I don't know what you call it but I saw it was listed as a side effect once I looked it up. It went away when I stopped the med. When I stopped this medication, I discovered I had a problem with my tongue. It is like it's too thick or something and doesn't form words as well, so I have a very mild speech impediment now. It is more difficult to speak and I have to be very deliberate in speaking in order to speak clearly and without a lisp."

Shereen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Took two milligrams for one day. Nausea for several days. I actually broke down and cried for hours because it was the closest to torture I had been. I didn't really need it anyway."

BazingaXDDDDDLAMO (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Autism: "I we recently diagnosed with ADHD (Inattentive type) and Autism (Aspergers Type). For years I'd had no luck with SSRI'S having literally tried just about every one. 2mg Risperidone has given me a new sense of calmness and stops me from becoming agitated. I use this along with Concerta XL (27mg) Methylphenidate (5mg) -For ADHD, and Trazodone (150mg) for Insomnia. This medication combination is not without side effects, but the benefits outweigh them. I found I was overeating at first, and put on weight. But thankfully Concerta XL has removed this side-effect. I couldn't live without Risperidone."

caledoniankevin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "This has helped a lot for my daughter's hallucinations. She was not diagnosed with schizophrenia, so her hallucinations are related to either her epilepsy or something else. There have been a couple of times where she stopped taking it because she felt better, but then the hallucinations would come back. She had to go on the highest dose after she stopped taking it the first time, so if you find this works for you or a loved one, just make sure they don't stop abruptly."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Overall, I really like risperdal. It's easy to take with minimal side effects. I take the generic version for Bipolar 2 and have been trying over 30 meds for 5 years. I used to take Seroquel and Divlaprox but they stopped working for me and I was too tired. My mood is the most stable I've ever been and I am level headed and clear. I take .5 mg every night and find this is a good dose because I used to take more and was very out of it. This helps me sleep but not be drowsy. Honestly, it's not perfect as I'm dealing with depression currently. I tried prozac but it made me suicidal/dissociate and zombie like and less like myself. Because of this I just recently stopped prozac but I plan to try other antidepressants with this to help my depression. Overall, I love that I mostly feel like myself again. I just want to care about life more now and be less apathetic. DBT therapy helps. Also, acne on my body/face from this but no weight gain so I can't complain too much."

Cara (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

For Autism: "My autistic son has signs of disorganised schizophrenia and has been on it for over a year. There have been no real improvement in his behaviour. The medication is supposed to be a tranquilliser, but after taking it we noticed no signs of calming down."

sue (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Just my experience, your mileage may vary. Odd tunnel vision as it takes effect. After about 2 weeks, expect your wife to be very “unsatisfied.” If your job involves mental math or coding, this will become much more challenging. It dulls your emotions even beyond what your horrible affliction will. I became an impotent robot with no processing power. The cure, at least for me, was worse than the disease. I have since learned to ignore, or at least recognize and not take them as absolute reality. Mental gymnastics and proper training are equally effective; the side effects of Respirdal are life altering in a bad way."

Meh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "My husband was just prescribed this however he is ALREADY drowsy, unmotivated and gaining weight. I am looking for a better option for someone who has been hearing many voices for years??? Please help"

COCOA (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took the lowest dose. Once. It caused parkinsonism and extremely slowed movement. I fell down a flight of stairs because of movement problems it caused. Needless to say I never took it again after that."

AJ (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Depression: "Was on risperdal 0.5 mg for 1 month, and 1 mg for 2 months. I was told to stop cold turkey on 11-16-2018 because it didn’t seem to help with the depression. It was prescribed as an add on therapy to Wellbutrin. 2 days later I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I mean SEVERE. I had not had anxiety before this! Now, Jan 2019 I am still having these affects and am on benzodiazepine’s for the anxiety. No help PLUS they make me feel like a zombie. DO NOT TAKE RISPERIDONE!"

Thanks Risperidone...NOT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone) for : "This medication has saved my child’s life. He has no diagnosis but he has always been an extremely angry, irritable and withdrawn kid. Despite extensive testing, we haven’t been able to find a medical cause. He has now been on .25 milligrams of this medication for 2 months along with the same SSRI he’s been on for a year. As soon as we added this medication he was able to get back into a regular classroom at school. He started talking to us, joking around and asking us if he can have friends over. He has become such a loving and sweet kid who laughs and has fun. The teachers and therapists we work with are all so thrilled with the positive changes. His dose is very low so the only side effect seems to be a slight increase in his appetite. But even at this low dose we are seeing huge changes. For the first time, our son actually seems happy."

boymom-newyork January 5, 2019

For Autism: "My son has autism, severe learning disability and challenging behaviour. He started taking Respiridone when he was 15 and 11 years down the line it looks like he's suffering from Tardive Dyskinesia. He is only 26 and his mobility and co-ordination have deteriorated greatly over the past 18 months and it is heart breaking to see. His neurologist recommended that this medication was stopped 6 months ago but because he is now an adult his psychiatrist has to agree to stop it and as yet has not. Stopping it may not improve his quality of life but will hopefully help. Just a warning for anyone considering taking in on a long term basis..."

CK December 26, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this med for almost two months. I started on a low dose but lately I have had to increase the dose to get the most benefits from it. Initially it will make me tired but my acute mania would return after a couple weeks. Been on 4mg for 3 weeks but have noticed that weight gain has been an issue for me, but I'll just have to watch what I eat and exercise more. Currently jumped to 5mg and willing to give it a try. Not too many side effects like somnolence , anxiety, and fatigue which goes away within two weeks. However, I take other meds so I'm trying to figure out if I need a mood stabilizers or other meds that I'm taking. Just want to feel better and finish my degree as an adult student without the excessive tiredness. But I've on Seroquel before, but I got type 2 diabetes from it. For restlessness I take cogentin and it works great."

DJetts (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2018

For Depression: "Quit taking risperdial"

Steve (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "It was good to calm me down at first, but stopped working within a month and I wake up during sleep many times from it. Your nose will get clogged heavily by this medication, so get a humidifier if you are planning to get on it."

Your nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for : "I was prescribed Risperdal to augment Prozac in 2004. I should never have been prescribed this medication. I returned several times for increases in Risperdal and was never advised of the potential irreversible effects and the difficulty I would experience trying to discontinue this medication 10 years later. The side effects discontinuing this medication affected my physical, emotional and cognitive wellbeing. I submitted an "Adverse Reaction" to the Canadian Health Authority. This medication has a place in medicine but was not appropriate for someone who never experiences psychotic episodes. Antipsychotics are not appropriate for anxiety and depression."

PsychLPN (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2018

For Anxiety: "I am on fortnightly injections of 25 mg and it is hell. I feel this awful restlessness all the time and can't do anything with my life. It is AWFUL. All I do is lie on the couch and suffer. And I get this thing with my eyes. It is such an evil medication and I can't get away as I am forced on this medication."

Crispy Packet (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Pro: seems to have completely eliminated my psychosis which had been intense and long lasting. Cons : weight gain and increased prolactin levels leading to sluggishness, impotence, premature ejaculation and general sexual dysfunction. Made me feel weak and lethargic and fat. Was on a dose of 5mg and am now down to 1.5 but I'm still not comfortable taking this med. I don't want sexual side effects or weight gain or elevated prolactin. For that reason I'm thinking I'll have to switch to abilify. Overall I'm not a fan of risperidone even though it works so well for me in that I have no psychosis."

Bipolar with psychosis (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I passed out with this drug, it slows my thinking process down, my heart rate palpitates, I can’t breath sometimes"

Kem (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I had a period of psychosis and I started taking resperidone last march and I haven't had any relapses. I have gained a couple of pounds, I am worried that I also feel emotionally flat. Don't know if I should try 1 mg instead of 2mg or eventually ween off out of fear of a horrible relapse that would ruin everything. I felt anxiety increase at doses higher up to 6 mg. Still suffer from anxiety and worry over basically everything."

wanderlust (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Absolutely horrible drug! I had worsened serious depression and severe akathisia from it. Agitation, irritability anxiety, aggression also came into play. I have tried many antipsychotics on the market and this one is by far the worst (Now on Quitepine and Abilify - much better!). No redeeming qualities whatsoever."

Metalstorm October 15, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was failed by mental health professionals by being prescribed with medications that debilitated me for years, this being one of them and I couldn’t do anything about it because I wanted to believe they were helping me. I became dependant on it and it made me delusional, fatigued, my ability to do anything became poor and my behaviour became strange and eccentric. I gained weight and I felt as if I had something wrong with me. It calmed my nerves but that was the dangerous part about taking this medication - I became mentally addicted to it and that’s why I never fought to come off it until I realised just how much it was ruining my life. Overall I have no words to describe the amount of damage this medication has done to me. I am no longer on this medication and I am so grateful that after almost a year I’m starting to feel better. I do not recommend this medication at all, especially for anyone under the age of 18."

Lily October 9, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I got put on this medication for psychosis, delusions in December of 2017. I started at 0.5mg and slowly raised to 3mg. So far, this is a decent drug. I feel like the way I was before my psychotic episodes began, and it's very nice. The downside is high prolactin levels and slight weight gain (roughly 10lbs). My doctor and I are in the process of getting off of it (currently at 2mg) but this drug did the trick to placate delusions. I would recommend but not for long term."

Hell yah October 2, 2018