User Reviews for Abilify Maintena

Abilify Maintena has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings on Drugs.com. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Schizophrenia
Bipolar Disorder
6.2
Summary of Abilify Maintena reviews 6.1 46 reviews

Reviews for Abilify Maintena

advo4her · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Abilify Maintena has changed my life drastically in such positive ways. The AH, VH and TH are all gone, I am able to function without distraction of delusions, and can hold a steady job and take care of my children. I wouldn't be able to do any of this if it weren't for this injection.”

Burgs June 25, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Been taking this injection Abilify Maintena for the past five months and have had no side effects. I started taking the pill form (with no side affects), but I get stubborn and ambitious and stop taking my meds. Plus, it’s sucks to take pills everyday. This has help dramatically. My mood is significantly better and, after many years (over five), I’ve finally stabilized. I see my doctor once a month and she gives me the shot. Only downside is the price. There are many ways to get around that though... just communicate with your doctor. I highly recommend this for treatment resistant depression and mood swings. Saved my life!”

Pho · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Went on an episode and relapse and took em away. BUT BE WARNED: it is like working out (as in going to the gym). You take the injection and then you work out your mentality because depression side effects start to kick in. Took away my passion for pretty much anything and I gained 15 pounds. Been on it for 5 months. But also remember that it is different for everybody. My sleep has been horrible but I still sleep for 10-14 hours a day. It makes you careless about your decision so you won't care about what you eat and you will eat a lot since you won't care.”

Kyra Benjamin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “I have a delusional disorder. I had a good experience. Calmed me down to the point I wasn't making rash actions and statements. Benefits: ups your dopamine in the right places, lowers it in the right places (rather than just lowering it altogether). Side Effects: Little to no side effects. There is a slightly dulled, or sedating, sensation... and at the same time, a little restlessness. But unlike when on other antipsychotics, I was able to go about my daily activities (and enjoy them). Dosage: 400 mg, also available in 300 mg injection. Ease of Use: Nurse comes straight to my door to administer. You might have to go to a hospital to get it done if you don't have a nurse. Notes: Combines well with Zoloft (sertraline). HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS DRUG IF YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT TO STAY OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. IF YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THIS AND INVEGA SUSTENNA, ALWAYS TAKE THIS ONE.”

Edd · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 13, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve been given this drug 300mg by depot every month & am on a community treatment order, which means if I refuse I get taken straight into hospital. It stops psychosis in bipolar but comes at a price, no emotions, extreme tiredness sleeping 12-14 hrs a night so hard to work. I’ve lost my creative side, my sex drive, even my ability to cook. I just sit in a chair most of the time, gaining weight, I feel so sorry for my family, I’ve completely lost myself and the psychiatrist doesn’t seem to care..”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 28, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “I’m on 400 mg shot for schizophrenia NOS . I don’t recommend lowering the dosage because you get tolerance to it. I was very impulsive and erratic before going on this, I’m on disability so I could not even maintain working. Doing much better thinking clearly and hardly side effects besides tired the first month that is all.”

Aby March 24, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “Been on arirpirzole for a year and half now, I cannot sleep, only getting about 3 hours a night, restlessness and spending money My lifestyle is completely different from before might not seem it but I was aggressive and hearing voices also the TV would interfere with my actions. Now taking this medication I feel somewhat better, really I don't get my self in to so much trouble, like arguing and shouting, but now am calm and confident and can laugh again.”

SALLY · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “TOTAL MISERY FROM ABILIFY INJECTION 400 DOSE! I had to find somewhere to sleep all day and then slept all night too! I immediately gained in 30 days, 30 lbs- they have gone straight to my waistline! Abilify is the worst ever medication! My diagnosis- bi-polar disorder & schizoaffective disorder. I was forced into a mental hospital, told that if I refused the meds, I wouldn't be released for 30 days and I could be released in 14 days if I consented. I didn't know there was an injection too! I would have just waited it out had I known the ill effect that the Abilify injection 400 time release would have on my endocrine system!Totally ruined my lipids”

Overmydeadbody · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “This medications side effects are far worse then any good it does. If you don't mind sleeping all day , gaining weight , breaking out with zits , becoming a total zombie and doing nothing productive with your life at all this is the drug for you. Hearing voices is not so bad in comparison to how bad this drug makes you feel and the want to gambling your life savings away. The second the injection enters your blood you instantly feel greasy. This stuff is a total joke and has the power to turn a smart and clever individual into a total brainless slug.”

Duduk Fan · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “For my schizophrenia opted in for Abilify Mainena as an alternative to Invega Sustena. Granted that I was on Invega Sustena for between 6-12 months prior with bland emotions at that time, I did some research and gave Abilify Maintena a chance. That was late 2014. Now it's early 2019, and I want everyone to know that by this time, I have regained some emotional ability. I am also able to focus on complex tasks with a significantly better ability than I would be without an antipsychotic. I have concerns though. I have a physical standing job and I walk to work, and all I can do is maintain my weight within a 10 pound range. I felt good, and the Abilify Maintena kept me resilient when things got tough. For the record, I used to have suicidal thoughts long before starting Abilify Maintena, but I never contemplated it while on it. One last thing: I have always taken a low dosage of Abilify Maintena. I do not ever recommend medium or high dosages to start with.”

Smog January 2, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “been on some form of abilify injection for 4 years. I have never missed a monthly dose. Started 400mg for 2 years 300mg for 2 years and just got my first 200mg Jan 2020 for schizoeffective disorder . I will never be tapered off but the point in lowering is to maintain stability but at the same time control the insatiable desire the meds give me to eat. Also to try and get back some of the energy the meds just simply take away - energy to cook , clean , and exercise. I have been trying different meds for 10 years and abilify is my preferred. After refusing those other antipsychotic meds that have literally been around forever , abilify injection seemed to be a happy medium and you don’t have to take a pill everyday (because I know I won’t). If you find being on an anti psychotic indefinitely is your reality , abilify makes things easier. With the injection lasting a month long , it’s very incognito and doesn’t remind you that you are being treated - like taking a pill everyday”

Cloud · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 13, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Abilify 400mg injection at first made me so anxious and felt suicidal. My Dr's said it wasn't the drug it was my depression and anxiety. They persisted with it, as I'm not compliant with tablets. I have bipolar 1 with psychosis. It has helped with psychosis but the side affects are destroying me. Extreme lethargy and total numbness, physically, mentally and emotionally. It has made me gain weight also despite daily exercise. I have no libido whatsoever anymore. When I complain to the psychiatrist they just say it's not supposed to do that, there must be another reason for these things. I also feel like I have no memory but have impulses to gamble and spend money. I have no energy to fight anymore, it's so sad and disgusting that my quality of life is not a factor to these people. Dr's etc. As long as I'm not in the ward is all that matters to them.”

nutty shahid · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2016

For Schizophrenia: “If you want to sleep between 7-10 hours a day and want a good sex life this is the medication for you. I have had no side effects no shakes tremors drowsiness. On clopixol I used to sleep up to 20 hours the doctors will be reluctant to put you on it as it is very expensive but if you work or want to return to work or study this is the medication for you”

Silver · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “This med really hasn't helped my voices at all. I'd say at most it takes the edge off my anger. I had the typical side effects which were pretty bad but I also had what I thought was EPS, extrapyramidal side effects in the form of hand movements. Upon withdrawal of the med I experienced an explosion of tics both motor and vocal. I went back on the med and the tics were a bit better but persisted. They include inappropriate tics and are unpredictable. I'm not a fan of any of the antipsychotics, frankly, but I would be weary of the risk of movement disorders in this med.”

Chango · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 10, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “This stuff is ugly, it numbs all feelings and desires, I sleep for about 12 to 14 hours. The weight gain is crazy, sexual side effects too, I took this stuff for a year and a half, then stopped cold turkey, with no problem...I wouldn't recommend this Abilify Maintena or ever take it agin”

Jes · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “I was coerced into taking this injection at a mental hospital where I was told if I did not have it I would be in there for a long time. My only symptoms were depression and anxiety at the time of admission. It is a horrible drug it gave me anhedonia so lack of pleasure. I also had side effects to begin with like constipation and I passed out on. Also had racing thoughts and severe insomnia. AVOID this drug if you can it is awful.”

royals1369 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 3, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Before Abilify I was in and out of the hospital for years. They had me on olanzapine and it made me feel like a slug so I would stop taking it and end up back in the hospital because of manic attacks. They finally suggested this med for me and it has really worked! I don't feel manic, I can think clearly, I feel normal emotions and I have a decent amount of energy. The only side effect I had was that it made me feel sick for the first month every morning. It has really worked for me but you have a give it a month for it to actually work if you are on it.”

MHR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2017

For Schizophrenia: “This medicine provided so much hope regarding the struggle to find ANY medicine that would help the combative nature of schizophrenia. Only ABILIFY MAINTANA injection has improved my sons thought processes. He has been less delusional more lucid for the first time in 12 years , The anger and frustration of daily life has calmed. It truly is life changing. I pray that this medicine can help billions more angry raging delusional young men and young woman . Thank goodness for this INJECTION being on the market for this sad disease that has ruined so many lives in the past . Now I have hope going forward for all diseases that rob the mind and thoughts of many persons . Thank you ”

Green bottle · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “I shared my experience once already. But I need to share it again. It has been now 4 months I take abilify maintena. And with the help of the pill form, I feel like the side effects are really subsiding. I gained 20 lbs but at least I feel somewhat normal again.”

Loulou · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Starting in 2003 I have had problems. By 2009 it increased and my family finally took it serious when I tried to jump out of my mother's vehicle. 2012 I saw a new psychiatrist who finally got me stable on Abilify Maintena 400mg dose. It has been a miracle drug for me. Side effects suck but I can deal with the weight gain I guess. To counteract the fatigue I also take nuvugil and vyvance which I can sleep through these drugs that is how strong the fatigue is. But I am functional, happy, and no crazy wild thoughts. If I do have them they are not as strong and I tend to just shrug them off. I can tell the shot is working because at the end of the month I start getting irritable and sad and immediately when I take it I feel better. Oddly enough I cannot take abilify by pill form because it causes akathesia. I have tried every psychiatric drug there is and nothing has gotten me to where I am today expect Abilify Maintena”

Flowag77 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2017

For Schizophrenia: “Forced onto this medication via a CTO. Delusions are still strong and troublesome. Doctors have no idea how to treat this condition. Side effects include insomnia, anxiety, constantly feeling sick and have therefore lost weight. This medication is completely ineffective and it is easier to live with the delusions without the negative side effects.”

A Guy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 11, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “So I've been on this Abilify Injection (against my will) for a couple of years because my family just wants me to be normal again. And man, do I feel normal! It's so great! (I was being sarcastic...really, really sarcastic) I can't sleep for more than a couple hours at a time, I suffer from persistent psychological pain due to anxiety/restless leg, and I have gained 70 lbs! And there's more! If I keep taking it, I'll probably wind up with diabetes! What a great drug to give a permanently disabled veteran to ensure that they live a long, peaceful life! Seriously though...It's terrible. Low quality of life in exchange for little to no psychotic symptoms...Bad Trade. Find something else that works for your condition!!!!!!”

Green bottle · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “I have been using Abilify Maintena for 2 months now. I had very little problems with my illness to begin with but my psychiatrist decided to put me on it due to many trouble I have caused to some people a while ago. The drug has had for me very little to 0 therapeutic effect. In fact, now I have less motivation and a big social anxiety. I was before on Xeplion (invega sustenna) and abilify is still a lot better than Xeplion because it has a lot less side effect.”

FriedEgg · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

“Since starting this medication on May 23, 2019, I have gained 14 lbs. That's approximately 1 lb. per day. Aside from the weight gain, this medication manages my Mania and keeps it at bay. It also has helped make me more myself, getting out and active like I always used to be.”

vinnyofvinny January 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “It's not for me 6 weeks on and cannot wait till it's out my system. Makes me feel like I can't stay in one place too long. It has ruined my sleep and has made me unsocial. I am not saying it's a bad drug just not for me......”