User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Mania 14 reviews 14 medications

Migraine Prevention 25 reviews 30 medications

5.9
Summary of Depakote reviews 178 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Depakote

For Bipolar Disorder "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Depikote was prescribed to me after 2 manic episodes. I've been on a lot of bipolar meds so many that have made me so depressed I spent a whole summer in bed. Depikote def saved my life. It's been a year now a little anxiety but not nearly as much as I've had in the past and a little weight gain and tiredness. But no mania and very little to no depression so thankyou depikote I rate u a 10 it's been a year and no mania :) ur a life saver I take 1500 mg though to so that might be y I'm so tired"

46j1592i August 18, 2016

For Epilepsy "I have nothing good to say about this drug, zero. After doing some reading, it said that depakote normally is recommended in doses up to 1000 mg a day. I was taking 3000 mg a day for 20 years. My whole life was turned upside down by it. It affected my life in so many ways. First of all, at the dose I was taking, it had so many negative side effects, it was amazing I made it through college and graduated. The side effects at the dose I was taking were very severe. The side effects were depression, weight gain, foot drop, stuttering, tremor, and kept you in a constant haze. I had all these exponentially worse than people who take smaller doses. This was the worst drug imaginable and should be banned by the FDA."

Shan 22 July 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "2007 - Put on 750 mg/day of Depakote alongside Lithium 800 mg/day. Killed libido stone dead. Did not help stabilise mood but worked away destabilising good lithium effect. Found this out after stopping Depakote 2014. Depakote has caused prostate cancer which was removed by radical prostatectomy June 2014. So it has caused me to be severely incontinent now, with erectile dysfunction. This month June 2016 it has been confirmed I have Multiple Myeloma a blood cancer. Depakote is the suspected trigger again. These effects result from being put on Depakote for seven years with no investigation of physical symptoms being reported to "psychiatric professionals""

Sion (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I took my first dose of Depakote at night before bed. The next day I was so leveled out; I wasn't talking fast it was great. The rest of the day starting around 1:00 p.m. I slept all day. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. with my eyes extremely wide and dilated, my skin on my arms and legs was swirling (like the Starry Night painting), the walls were moving and things on the wall were levitating up and down. I was up until 3:00 a.m. and an on call nurse told me to sleep so it would wear off; I have never taken this medication again. (Taken for Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar type)"

TamaraAngel (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote put about 60 pounds on me. It did nothing for my mood accept make me a zombie. I sat around and did nothing. I had no energy, my skin itched non-stop, I developed migraine headaches and felt plain shitty all over. My muscles ached, stomach/abdomen hurt. I complained about it and my doctor upped the dose and I was on 2000 mg xr when I could not stand it any longer. I took myself off of it and have changed doctors. I hope this one will listen to what I say."

info2pondergmail.com (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Noticed that depakote improved stability of mood and reduced depression. However, it did not help with mania mood swings. This drug also totally removed my libido. I have never experienced such an inability for sexual activity than while taking this drug. A week after stopping the drug and sexual libido is back. I would avoid this drug if male."

Manuel231 May 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Really intense side effects. Weight gain, zombie like behavior, etc."

rxqp89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Depakote 500mg for a week then increased my dose to 1000mg after the next week. The next day I began having terrible stomach pains and pains in my kidneys, especially after eating. I emailed my doctor and he told me the side effects would subside but they didn't. They actually got worse and the abdominal pain would linger all day and night. I also had a hard time sleeping, I would wake up every 1-2 hours and sleep less than 6 hours a night, along with having very vivid dreams. The dreams later got more and more violent/terrifying and I began to fall into a very deep depression, one I had never felt in my entire life. I stopped taking this medication after three weeks. I will never take this medication even if it saved my life."

Bipolar2 April 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "Started having migraines about ten years ago. The only treatment that has ever worked for me is Depakote. Everybody is different, but for me this was a Godsend. Nothing worked and Topomax was only a temporary solution. The thing is that after a two month regiment my headaches completely went away. I stopped taking the medication for two or three years before my migraines returned. I went on another regiment and again I went several years without a headache. Yes, I did have slight weight gain, and yes it did affect my ability to perform sexually, but I did not have to continue taking it for more than 3 months. Cysticercosis as a child and a catalyst of factors cause my headaches. Depakote works."

Manny05 March 10, 2016

For Epilepsy "This medicine took 3 weeks to fully kick in. I had the side effect of increased appetite, but I haven't gained any weight because I eat a low carb diet and workout 4 times a week. I do not have any side effects anymore and this mostly controls my temporal lobe epilepsy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

For Mania "Good medicine. Blood tests are annoying. I wet the bed a couple nights a week on this med because it knocked me out. It takes a while to get used to but it's overall not that bad of a med. Works well for mania."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Diagnosed 6 years ago as Bipolar 2 after 20 years of being all over the place. crazy ups/back downs but only ever treated for depression, I was put on a variety of medications in the first year that made me so ill, weight gains/losses, irrational thoughts/ideas, constantly felt ill with colds/flu had to keep changing medications and doses to see if they would work, then given Depakote, wow I felt human again within 2 weeks, settled, calm, clear head no side effects, its done wonders for me that no other got close to, I have my life back"

Ekomoon (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am not very fond of Depakote. When I took it it didn't improve my moodswings that much. In the beginning it made me nauseous & caused my hair to fall out. No, I didn't go bald, but it thinned out my hair enough that my hairstylist noticed. Eventually, my hair stopped falling out, but I gained a lot of weight & I had very bad tremors & bad coordination. If you do decide to take this medicine make sure your doctor tests your blood regularly. I think you are supposed to have your blood tested every 6 months."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x"

amsay January 15, 2016

For Epilepsy "I currently take Zonegran --I love love love it!!!--- Prior to this I took Depakote--for me this drug sucked-- I was lethargic, my hair fell out in clumps I went from weighing 225lbs to 389lbs and I developed Sleep apnea. I was taking 500 mg of Depakote four times per day---2000mg of this stuff-- I had several seizures in my sleep one where I fractured my ankle on the bed frame. The weight was the worst I could not control it. I wish I could submit a picture of myself while being on this stuff. After I got off this drug I lost 160lbs. My dad saw the b4 pic and didn't know who I was. Maybe this works for some, but not for me I would never take this again!!!"

Wildreign (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am honestly the happiest person ever since my Psychiatrist prescribed Depakote for me, NO MORE RAPID CYCLING!! I take two 500mg tablets about 20 minutes minutes before bed and I sleep throughout only waking up when my back aching in pain; I'll save that for my Baclofen and Prednisone post. I do not experience the manic highs as I was once did; however I still have my low days but everyone does! My low days are no where near the days when I on Trileptal or any SSRIs. I was taking Ability and Lithium for a week (this is my experience) I started seeing the world in two-dimensions, sort of like the early Nintendo characters. I freaking out!! That was it. Make sure to get blood tests every months to ensure your Depakote are in line. A "

dsran87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Best medicine I've been on !!!! Focused,low anxiety,sleeping well no night terrors ."

Happyintexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My doc switched me from Prozac & Abilify to Depakote ER 500mg at bed time. I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg for almost 4 months now. Everyone in my life has noticed a positive change in me. I feel so calm within. My anxiety & insomnia are very much under control now. I'vw suffeerd with bipolar since my teens. I am 38yrs old. Depakote ER 500 has saved my life! I was done with psych meds & ready to just give up! I'm so glad I have such an amazing doc. No more changing my meds. Depakote ER 500mg in combo with Xanax 1mg 3x's per day has me back to feeling like myself again. Also, I don't need to take the xanax everyday or 3x's per day anymore. The Depakote ER 500mg works for numerous disorders I suffer from. I could go on about the pro's of this med."

Surviver (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II. This medication has been a life saver (literally) for me. It has helped keep my emotions in check. I took another medication lamicital that caused one continuous headache that never went away. My psychiatrist started me on a low dose of that medication so I wouldn't get a deadly rash. My emotions were all over the place and I was miserable. My psychiatrist put me on Depakote. At first this medication made me sluggish and hungry. I gained 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Since then I have laid off the snacks and beverages and have since gotten adjusted to the meds (also taking Zoloft). Three pounds have come off without trying. Each person is different, but this has really worked for me."

clemsontigergrl (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've taken a lot of meds in 19 years and took Depakote for around 1 yr. Weight gain about same as Lithium. This drug gave me hallucinations at night and freaked me out big time. Beware. I didn't hallucinate before the drug and now that I've stopped it 6 months ago - no Depakote = no hallucinations"

Medbag December 2, 2015

For Epilepsy "Be careful. My experience put me in the emergency room BUT my friend takes it and has had a fantastic experience. every person can have a different reaction, know the risks and definitely do a lot of research."

Katie Cl October 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I honestly don't know how many stars to give this medication as much as I've never had such an experience. I was in a coma light sleep when my therapist came, I heard myself say "we need to go to the airport" when actually I never said anything at all. I felt drunk waking up, started losing my hearing, it got cloudy. I only took it a month but being in that state of mind frightened me.I gave it up and my hearing is mostly back about 98 percent but my balance and coordination still suffers from the medication but has improved since I stopped it. I was so upset that I called the FDA and reported my experience, I would hate for anyone to go through that.On the plus side? When I was awake and aware and not "drunk" it did help my manic episodes."

Gage Goliath October 6, 2015

For Epilepsy "Before I came to the US I was taking other medications for epilepsy but upon dealing with a US doctor he recommended 2000 mg of Depakote daily. I immediately went to the library and checked the side effects, which were considerable. I asked the doctor if I could take a smaller dose but he didn't think it wise. I decided to take matters into my own hands and reduce my dosage. I have been taking 250 mg now for 35 years with no seizures. Early on I found that when I took long flights to Asia and missed sleep and became dehydrated I would increase my dosage and then when I came back home I would slowly lower it again. I don't believe I am suffering from any side effects of this drug."

Nick351 (taken for 10 years or more) September 30, 2015

For Epilepsy "I was on Depakote for 1 year following 3 Grand Mal seizures that had been brought on by starting fluoxetine. Fluoxetine, and most SSRIs, carry the risk of seizures. They hit me hard and without warning, so I was on Depakote for a year after the final seizure and after stopping fluoxetine. It does what it is supposed to do. I had no more seizures; however, I gained over 20 lbs quickly. The weight came back off once I was off the Depakote, but you will most likely put on weight with this medication."

APelicano September 20, 2015