User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Mania 14 reviews 14 medications

6.2
Migraine Prevention 26 reviews 30 medications

Summary of Depakote reviews 188 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Depakote

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been through so many medications it's ridiculous... most of them didn't work AND caused severe side effects. The last one I was on before Depakote was lamotrigine (which really is better for bipolar II, from what I understand). I tend to run very manic (and don't have a thyroid anymore - cancer), so my doc and I decided this would probably be my best option. None of the new drugs worked on me. Depakote has been amazing. I can think a lot more clearly and I'm still me - just a lot more toned down. I've had no negative side effects except a slight tremor, but I'm also on xanax for severe anxiety, so its only noticeable when it's time for that. No weight gain, either. In fact, my appetite decreased. I haven't gained or lost, really."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Didn't realize how great it was till it was gone. After 4 years of failed cocktails until I found Depekote with Zoloft. I was on it for 3-5 months @1250mg and had Excessive Weight gain, insatiable hunger,,,BUT Worth it! I was productive, positive, stabilzed, making plans and following thru. Then Liver enzymes high @ 6 mo. and abruptly taken off ... Horrible move by panicked Doctor. On my third medicine since and all bad results. Any opinions on Depokote retry while protecting my liver with Milk Thistle & Turmeric? My last blood work was best its ever been. I have no faith in my Dr and am seeking a new."

Karyn 44ys Single Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I take depakote 500mg extended release at night for bipolar. Mostly mania. I like depakote because it keeps me leveled. I feel normal. No mania. No depression. I do sometimes have trouble sleeping but not much. I have felt nauseous but I'm gonna go to my primary doctor because my psych says the nausea would've happened in the beginning of depakote and I've been on it for a while so probably not caused by depakote. Anyone taking depakote, make sure you go to your follow ups to check liver enzymes in your blood since it can cause liver damage. Overall I think depakote is effective for me. I tried lamictal and abilify and I hated them. They made my ankles swell up to 4 times their size. My ankles were very red and painful and swollen."

M M 555 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

For Epilepsy "It was bad. It made me gain weight. It made me have tremors ,which will never completely go away now.I couldn't hold plates or hold cups without shaking. My head started shaking. My new Neurologist took me off of them. I was on them for over 20 yrs. I would strongly think about other meds before taking this one considering the side affect can't go away immediately or not at all ."

Annloss1970 November 23, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "My moods are better controlled. I feel more emotionally stable and physically calm. My husband has noticed a huge change in my moods and patterns."

Lavender pink78 November 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "this medicine works fairly well, i take the appropriate dosage, no complaints but weight gain."

jodubz October 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started depakote 3,000mg straight off when I was 15 years old I have since been taken off from it and still paying the price for it. It made me hungry constantly i gained a total of 50 pounds in 7 months I had no energy at all and no feelings no happy thoughts no sad thoughts I was literally a zombie and now I'm still seeing new doctors and switching meds all the time and I've had enough nothing is working and no one can help me I really need help and can't find it anywhere"

1ks October 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bipolar 1 rapid cycling and life was hell. Manic episodes were a little intense but the depression is what really killed me. It got worse and worse over time to the point I felt numb to the world. Life sucked and I wanted out. After taking many medications that didn't work (Abilify and Lithium to name a few) so I ended up in a mental hospital where they finally gave me Depakote. It literally SAVED MY LIFE!! I feel normal and stable for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. Im enjoying every second of my life now. God bless this drug (:"

SplashMaster6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I had debilitating migraines for 15 years and went on a small dose of Depakote (125 mg) twenty years ago. It was amazing. Maybe five headaches over all those years. However I have now gone off hormones and having steady weight gain, increased dizziness and some depression. I am uncertain what to do. Our chemistry changes as we age, and the science is not keeping up."

Meadow kat September 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have major bi-polar disorder as well as severe depression and PTSD. This med (along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin) has been a literal lifesaver. For the first time in my life my moods are stable as well as manageable."

TLGeer September 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Was on this drug for about four years with Wellbutrin. The combination worked well for the first three years; however developed severe tremors and other side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Depikote was prescribed to me after 2 manic episodes. I've been on a lot of bipolar meds so many that have made me so depressed I spent a whole summer in bed. Depikote def saved my life. It's been a year now a little anxiety but not nearly as much as I've had in the past and a little weight gain and tiredness. But no mania and very little to no depression so thankyou depikote I rate u a 10 it's been a year and no mania :) ur a life saver I take 1500 mg though to so that might be y I'm so tired"

46j1592i August 18, 2016

For Epilepsy "I have nothing good to say about this drug, zero. After doing some reading, it said that depakote normally is recommended in doses up to 1000 mg a day. I was taking 3000 mg a day for 20 years. My whole life was turned upside down by it. It affected my life in so many ways. First of all, at the dose I was taking, it had so many negative side effects, it was amazing I made it through college and graduated. The side effects at the dose I was taking were very severe. The side effects were depression, weight gain, foot drop, stuttering, tremor, and kept you in a constant haze. I had all these exponentially worse than people who take smaller doses. This was the worst drug imaginable and should be banned by the FDA."

Shan 22 July 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "2007 - Put on 750 mg/day of Depakote alongside Lithium 800 mg/day. Killed libido stone dead. Did not help stabilise mood but worked away destabilising good lithium effect. Found this out after stopping Depakote 2014. Depakote has caused prostate cancer which was removed by radical prostatectomy June 2014. So it has caused me to be severely incontinent now, with erectile dysfunction. This month June 2016 it has been confirmed I have Multiple Myeloma a blood cancer. Depakote is the suspected trigger again. These effects result from being put on Depakote for seven years with no investigation of physical symptoms being reported to "psychiatric professionals""

Sion (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I took my first dose of Depakote at night before bed. The next day I was so leveled out; I wasn't talking fast it was great. The rest of the day starting around 1:00 p.m. I slept all day. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. with my eyes extremely wide and dilated, my skin on my arms and legs was swirling (like the Starry Night painting), the walls were moving and things on the wall were levitating up and down. I was up until 3:00 a.m. and an on call nurse told me to sleep so it would wear off; I have never taken this medication again. (Taken for Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar type)"

TamaraAngel (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote put about 60 pounds on me. It did nothing for my mood accept make me a zombie. I sat around and did nothing. I had no energy, my skin itched non-stop, I developed migraine headaches and felt plain shitty all over. My muscles ached, stomach/abdomen hurt. I complained about it and my doctor upped the dose and I was on 2000 mg xr when I could not stand it any longer. I took myself off of it and have changed doctors. I hope this one will listen to what I say."

info2pondergmail.com (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Noticed that depakote improved stability of mood and reduced depression. However, it did not help with mania mood swings. This drug also totally removed my libido. I have never experienced such an inability for sexual activity than while taking this drug. A week after stopping the drug and sexual libido is back. I would avoid this drug if male."

Manuel231 May 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Really intense side effects. Weight gain, zombie like behavior, etc."

rxqp89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Depakote 500mg for a week then increased my dose to 1000mg after the next week. The next day I began having terrible stomach pains and pains in my kidneys, especially after eating. I emailed my doctor and he told me the side effects would subside but they didn't. They actually got worse and the abdominal pain would linger all day and night. I also had a hard time sleeping, I would wake up every 1-2 hours and sleep less than 6 hours a night, along with having very vivid dreams. The dreams later got more and more violent/terrifying and I began to fall into a very deep depression, one I had never felt in my entire life. I stopped taking this medication after three weeks. I will never take this medication even if it saved my life."

Bipolar2 April 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "Started having migraines about ten years ago. The only treatment that has ever worked for me is Depakote. Everybody is different, but for me this was a Godsend. Nothing worked and Topomax was only a temporary solution. The thing is that after a two month regiment my headaches completely went away. I stopped taking the medication for two or three years before my migraines returned. I went on another regiment and again I went several years without a headache. Yes, I did have slight weight gain, and yes it did affect my ability to perform sexually, but I did not have to continue taking it for more than 3 months. Cysticercosis as a child and a catalyst of factors cause my headaches. Depakote works."

Manny05 March 10, 2016

For Epilepsy "This medicine took 3 weeks to fully kick in. I had the side effect of increased appetite, but I haven't gained any weight because I eat a low carb diet and workout 4 times a week. I do not have any side effects anymore and this mostly controls my temporal lobe epilepsy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

For Mania "Good medicine. Blood tests are annoying. I wet the bed a couple nights a week on this med because it knocked me out. It takes a while to get used to but it's overall not that bad of a med. Works well for mania."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Diagnosed 6 years ago as Bipolar 2 after 20 years of being all over the place. crazy ups/back downs but only ever treated for depression, I was put on a variety of medications in the first year that made me so ill, weight gains/losses, irrational thoughts/ideas, constantly felt ill with colds/flu had to keep changing medications and doses to see if they would work, then given Depakote, wow I felt human again within 2 weeks, settled, calm, clear head no side effects, its done wonders for me that no other got close to, I have my life back"

Ekomoon (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am not very fond of Depakote. When I took it it didn't improve my moodswings that much. In the beginning it made me nauseous & caused my hair to fall out. No, I didn't go bald, but it thinned out my hair enough that my hairstylist noticed. Eventually, my hair stopped falling out, but I gained a lot of weight & I had very bad tremors & bad coordination. If you do decide to take this medicine make sure your doctor tests your blood regularly. I think you are supposed to have your blood tested every 6 months."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x"

amsay January 15, 2016