User Reviews for Depakote

Migraine Prevention
5.5

Summary of Depakote reviews 6.3 217 reviews

Reviews for Depakote

For Bipolar Disorder "After the birth of my daughter I had a depressive episode, I would like to note I was 40 pounds over weight after having my daughter, normal after childbirth. I delivered a healthy baby and my pregnancy had no complications and I had normal lab results on physicals before depakote. After being on it, I ballooned up another 40 pounds. The depakote messed with my thyroid issues, gave me obesity, sleeping about sixteen hours a day, mental fog, severe fatigue, depression, fatty liver diagnosis. I like walking every day and after the depabloat I could not get the energy to walk anymore. The doctor blamed everything on me, (wonderful doctor). Before depakote, I did not have any of these problems. So beware. The professionals can care less what the medication does to you. I wouldn’t take this medication again. This was all over the course of eight months. The doctors will blame you for every adverse side effect to cover their own bottoms when prescribing this crud of a medication."

Depabloater (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2018

For Epilepsy "Makes me so drowsy all the time. I'm on 1000mg a day. Gained 40 pounds. Affects my work and grad school. Slows down my brain and gives me anxiety. Icing on the cake is I’m balding now at age 24"

Joey245 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on Depakote and Prozac for three days. I take 20 mg prozac in the morning and 750mg depakote before bed. First day great..I felt better! My mood was noticably happy and I could actually think clearer without being agitated. Second day had trouble sleeping, anxiety, tremors and a little hallucinations. Third day terrible nausea, panic attack, in the bathroom every 20 mins seems like, bedtime abdominal pain and diarrhea. I'm slowly coming off of this med now."

Jill (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I have been suffering from migraines for about 15 years. On average I would have a migraine at least weekly sometimes more. About 8 years ago I started on Depakote. I went from having migraines at least monthly to 1 or 2 a year. The last count was I hadn't had any for over 2 years. Now just recently I started having migraines more frequently. I have experienced some weight gain but not sure if it's the aging process or the meds."

Jim (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2018

For Epilepsy "I have been epileptic since birth. I have been on Depakote ER for over 20 years. I am now on 2500 mg a day(1000mg in the am and 1500 in the pm) for nearly a year at this dose. Thought there was just something wrong me not meaning my epilepsy meds or my epilepsy. I was reading all the comments here and I am definitely going to speak with my neurologist about taking me off my Depakote ER and possibly put a different epilepsy medicine. I was reading through here and many side effects others was or is having with Depakote. I was like oh my goodness that is the same as me. I have much confusion, literally loosing my memory, can't concentrate or focus, migraine headaches have got so bad since I been on this medicine - I cant remember a complete week with no migraines .Everything always so hazy looking, I still have seizures back though they didn't go away the whole time of about 2 years of being on Depakote. I always feel weak and drained, tired all the time ,I switch back and forth from sleepin gway to much to being tired but not able to sleep at all."

Lisa April 18, 2018

For Epilepsy "Take 500 mg daily of Depakote. I have taken other epilepsy medications in the past that never caused symptoms quite like Depakote. Memory loss, tiredness, depression, if I forget to take it boom aura then seizure. Or a lot of times a bit after taking it boom severe auras. My doctor however still thinks this medication is the best fit for me. I don't think so. Absolutely hate the side effects of this medication."

Mary R (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm bipolar ll. Recently started Depakote. Started out at 200 mg, now at 800 mg. So far so good. Will write another review in another month or two. I was terrified starting this medicine, but it has been great so far. I'm still not at my target dose, but it has already helped racing thoughts, depression and hypomania. I feel more hopeful, a lot calmer and less stressed out. NO WEIGHT GAIN AT ALL. Not even a single pound. I've actually lost weight. Side effects? The first week I felt more depressed, but it didn't last. Tiredness, nausea and a bit foggy after each increase. Easy peasy. I have tried 15 medicines including Lamotrigine, Trileptal, Abilify, Gabepentin and countless antidepressants. Nothing worked. Fingers crossed. Big hugs to all of you bipolars out there!"

CyclingSarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I have a migraine 4 to 6 times per week. I have tried Maxalt, OTC drugs such as Acetaminophen, Excedrin, Advil, PM meds like Advil PM, amitriptyline, and now Depakote. Depakote has done nothing at all to improve my migraines. At this point, I wonder if anything is going to ever help my migraines. All of the meds I mentioned above do not help. I'm at my wit's end. I tried Topamax too a few years ago and it made me so nauseous and didn't help my migraines. I had an MRI done, and the ENT doctor said there were no brain abnormalities seen on the MRI disc. I don't want to be a guinea pig ( hey, try this), or a medical mystery. All I want is some pain relief. Caffeine doesn't help, nor does alcohol. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!"

simkitkat66 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Love it. 15+ years taking it"

Tricia (taken for 10 years or more) March 28, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Rubbish med. Ruins liver"

alschuster March 22, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "This review is on behalf of my 16 year old son. Manic Ups and downs for years, between over the top excitement/happiness (rare and short lived) or anger/violence or full depression /sadness. Just trying to help him level out. Has been moved on and off many different medications to try to find a fit. Most recently Dr added depakote to his 900 mg lithium & 15 mg abilify. First four days started with depakote 500 mg; then added another pill to 1000 mg. Started to have digestive issues and tremors but pulled through. Increased to 1500 mg 4 days later which led to more tremors and violent vomitting. Dr suggested splitting the doses am/pm. Within 2 hours of taking the am dose the next day- same violent vomitting. Confirmed no stomach bug. His body was unable to handle the level of Depakote. Now, No longer taking. I've read many positive reviews on this medication , but sadly ours is not one of them due to his adverse reactions."

Still Looking for Answers March 19, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "Lethargy, weight gain, depression, headaches, muscle aches, nausea"

Dee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 35 years ago, but finally received a diagnosis on the bipolar spectrum two years ago at the age of 60. Depakote ER (2000mg at night) fixed things I didn't know were wrong and has stilled the ultradian cycling that was really my problem all along. I feel luck that the only side effects I have encountered are hair loss at first (now resolved) and occasional heartburn. It relieved most of my depressive and hypomanic symptoms within three weeks, but I just added Lamictal to help a little more with depressive symptoms. I take a complicated stack of meds to manage psych. symptoms, but Depakote is by far the most important."

sf100 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been diagnosed as bipolar for 20 years now and just a month ago listed as bipolar 1 severe with mixed moods. This is the only medication that REALLY works to help control my manic moods. ONLY side effect for me is a little bit of shaky hands after taking for a few hours."

Ash11485 January 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking depakote @ 1000mg for the past year and a half. I also take risperdol @ 1mg and just added on zoloft @ 100mg as well. The only positive thing this medicine has done for me is rid me of mania. I am constantly depressed and have persistent suicidal/negative thoughts. I feel like I have been sleep walking through my life since I have been put on this medication. Also I have gained 50 pounds and am so hungry all the time. I also have zero libido. When I say zero I mean zero. I have had sex on this medication and it was the most unenjoyable experience ever. Just nothing. Next time I go to see my physiatrist I am going to ask to switch medications. This might work for some but it has not worked for me in the slightest."

teelar (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Start a few days ago this medicine. So far I'm ok, no side effect. I can sleep all night and wake up rested. All my body pain is almost gone. Calmed my mania and anxiety. Been on Lithium before but was awful with the side effect and the worry to hurt my kidneys. Hoping this medicine works for me."

Liz2018 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I've taken depakote for 13 years along with citalapram. 250 mg depakote with 10 mg of citalapram. It helped with my intense excitability, my severe depression and suicidal thoughts which happened to me 2 weeks out of the month. It was so bad. After taking these meds I felt so much better like a "normal" person. I had no side effects. My symptoms were down to 3 days instead of 3 weeks which I could deal with and didn't want to kill myself anymore. I'm an bipolar and/or pmdd. They are not working for me anymore so I'm going to have to change to something else. Hope this helps someone. :)"

Yellehs (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Hi I've recently got married to my partner of 6 yrs, last year he was diagnosed with bipolar he has tried all different kinds of medicine but he’s started a new one call Depakote 5-10-17 for the last 2 weeks he’s had 2 personalities Mr Nice and Mr Horrible it can changed within mins do you think I should contact his doctor or bear with it. He’s never been like this I can’t talk to him, I can’t even look at him without him asking me what my problem is. This is really out of character. He is normal downer I know when they are coming and I can take time out and after 3-4 he’s back to him normal happy self but this I not sure how much more I can cope with!! We have a 5 yr old who keeps saying will daddy get better! I’m just in desperate need for some."

Life15hard (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "It made my bi polar disorder worse, I had bad ringing in my ears also my heart rate increased. But it wasn't worse then when my hallucinations got so much worse then they already are."

Babi Girl95 October 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Love this medication, after 2-3 years of severe long lasting manic episodes finally decided to take meds full time. Hardly any side effects, very hungry, simply eat normally and you wont put weight on, the medication doesn't make you fat, eating does. Occasionally very tired and my stomach from time to time gets a little funny, just take with lots of water and food. Very calm, can concentrate, no racing thoughts, level, basically gave me my life back, works well at 750 even though I'm 80kgs, Dr upped me to 1000mg but felt too sedated so dropped back down. I move to 1000mg if I feel like I'm starting to drift a little for a few weeks then move back. However, this is the 7th med I have tried, all others have failed, never write one med off"

qwertyazsxdc (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

For Epilepsy "I used to have a wonderful smart son. About 12 years ago, I noticed changes starting to take affect in his life. He was becoming agitated, he was loosing his memory, he had no energy. I was told this was due to his having so many seizures. I just this week, after having a really bad week a few weeks ago, the doctor decided to take him off of this medication in a hospital controlled setting. After one day of not taking this medication, I am starting to see the personality of my son come back. He had gotten to the point that he made terrible decisions, he was depressed often, he was confused and was loosing his memory and his ability to talk and remember words. I'm sorry, but the benefits of controlling seizures was not worth this."

J A J July 24, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "Horrible! I was on it for a month, and quit immediately. I have migraine with aura. My neurologist told me a secret behind closed doors cause he was a cool dude. He said get off all the crap and once the aura comes chug two beers and it will disappear no aura no headache. He swore by it and so do I."

Craigsugarhill (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

For Epilepsy "Have taken this med for 28+ years with no seizures during this time. I have experienced no side effects except that my hair has become very curly. Lots of compliments! No down side. I am seizure free. No other med has worked for me."

Heroncrest July 14, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "If you want to sleep a lot, as in all day long and gain lots of weight, enjoy. I am listless, and have pre-diabetes now. "

depabie (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Best med I've been on for Bipolar I. After 10 years on Lamictal as monotherapy, with continued mania and depression. I was hospitalized and switched to Depakote. I'm sad my doctors didn't try getting rid of the Lamictal sooner. I take 500mg (delayed-release) twice a day and, along with 80mg of Latuda, I haven't felt this stable or anxiety-free since I can remember. I'm not dulled out, back to my normal, serene self. Depakote is known to work wonders for mania, and I can attest to this effect being noticeable right away. I have gained a few pounds but I'm too happy with how calm, collected, and lucid I feel to think about letting Depakote go. No other side effects, and I don't find it highly sedating -- guess I'm one of the lucky ones."

FuckLamictal (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017