User Reviews for Aimovig

Migraine Prevention 4.7

Reviews for Aimovig

Prefernottosayname January 2, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “Update 1 year: +/- one migraine/month, usually in week before injection. Negs: Pharmacy often lags in filling prescription. Got a dud injector and it took 2 weeks to get replacement. The 1/2 life of Aimovig in the body is 28 days: I was late enough in getting my injection that I got a migraine 2 days after my shot. Some of the drug sometimes seeps out of the injection site after I remove the needle. Given small dose, any amount of drug lost is a problem. I think this is a design failure of the autoinjector. Original: Significant drop in complicated migraine episodes. Had near-constant migraines. Also had severe vertigo for more than a year (may have been vestibular migraine). My migraines manifest with nausea, aura, neuralgia, extreme sensitivity to light, sound and odors, and muscle spasms in my neck and jaw. I used to wake up most mornings with a “sick headache” feeling in my occipital region. That has disappeared. My only possible side effect is dry mouth.”

HateThisDrug · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “My neurologist gave me this medication stating the only side effect would be constipation. Well, aside from the constipation, which I can handle, this drug made my already high blood pressure even higher as well as heart palpitations. After an EKG which checked out to be normal, my heart is still racing. I’ve had three injections, the last one 10 days ago. I am done and am no longer taking this medication. I can’t wait for it to leave my system.”

bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Aimovig was good till it wasn't. The first time I took it was during a long migraine and it cleared right up. I had some muscle cramps and weakness, plus a blinding non-migraine headache for a few days, but the migraines were gone so I was happy. Second injection was a nightmare. Overwhelming fatigue, irritability, malaise, muscle cramps, and nightmares. I regret taking that second shot. I'm still living with some side effects but they are slowly fading. This drug may help some people but it very nearly ruined my life.”

Karen December 18, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I got on this medication and have had only one injection and to my surprise no migraines as have really bad ones that can last up to ten days! After having migraines for over 40-years I found the help I have been needing. I could not afford this drug but through the safety net program I was approved and get this much needed medicine for nothing and it gets mailed to my home. I have had no side effects. I am very pleased and feel blessed I now have this medication! Thank you safety net for helping me!!”

chasecadet · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 14, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I started Aimovig literally 2 days after the FDA approved it and it started working within a week. I have chronic daily migraines and was shocked a medication finally worked and I had no side effects. Was on it a year and had to go off it because I lost my job. I started taking it again in Dec 2019 with great results again. End of Oct 2020 I started getting daily migraines again with severe inflammation in neck and lower half of arms. Then my blood pressure which was already high was even higher, heart beating so fast, rapid weight gain, inflammation in knees, half my hair fell out, tinnitus and clogged ears. Did 2 rounds of steroids which didn't help. About 2 weeks ago the daily migraines stopped but still have all the other symptoms. I've read biologics can do this after using them this long. And Aimovig can cause lupus which will eventually resolve after being off it 5 months. It was good until it wasn't.”

Anonymous November 23, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I had a reaction, unfortunately. I didn't piece it together at first. Shortness of breath, pain in my gallbladder and pancreas out of the blue. I went in for tests and nothing could be found. My right kidney began to hurt and a lymph node in my neck was constantly in pain. The eczema on my hands was out of control. My migraines, however, did clear up. Unfortunately, I couldn't live that way. I made it three months before I realized the Aimovig injections were the issue. I quit taking the injections, but the issues have been slow in resolving. I've been to the emergency room twice with unusual allergic symptoms. All of the nerves in my body are burning at different times. Hives break out where they burn. I've read that it takes up to 22 weeks for the Aimovig shot to leave the system. I'm on prednisone right now. Plus I'm on an antihistamine and I have to take Benadryl occasionally. I'm worried about when the prednisone is gone. I was never warned about these side effects.”

Raquel · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been taking this for 2 months and apart from slight constipation in the first month which has now gone and a headache initially after the first injection I have had no side effects what so ever. I have had two three week episodes with no migraines at all which is amazing as I am a daily suffer of migraines. Give this a try you have nothing to loose it’s made a huge difference to my life and everything seems clearer. Good luck”

Jane · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Aimovig has worked great for me! I have gone from 3-5 migraine days a week and not being able to work out (exercise is a trigger) to less than 2 migraines a month. I did not get relief until I had taken 2-3 injections, I was at first frustrated it wasn't working more immediately - it was made clear by my neurologist that it can take 3 months to be effective. I did experience some constipation in the first month or two, I took colace once a day during that time and pretty soon I became regular again, maybe my body got used to it.”

Worriedmomma October 11, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “This medication has ruined my family’s life for the last month. My son tried Aimovig after years of unsuccessful migraine treatments. The first month wasn’t too bad. He had a significant reduction in migraines (from 4-5/week down to 1-2) The constipation was severe, but he thought he could get a handle on it, so when it was time, he wanted to do his second injection. That second injection flipped our world upside down. Several days after the injection he was struck with crippling fatigue, and the scariest symptom of all, he began hallucinating, then fainted. We rushed him to the ER. After a thorough exam, bloodwork, and EEG, the doctor came to the conclusion that it was most likely triggered by the Aimovig. The last month has been horrible. He can hardly stay awake, and when he’s exhausted, he hallucinates. He’s 18, and we can’t leave him alone. Watching him suffer with this is absolutely heartbreaking. We hate this med and what it’s done to his life.”

Jo jo gunne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 5, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Had migraines since childhood. Now in my 60's. Was using sumatran at least 10 to 12 times a month Maybe more at times. Amivig cuts my migraines 90 to 95%. Life saver drug”

Magpie October 5, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I took maybe 4 of the 70 mg dose. The first 2 or 3 months it worked great. On month 4 my migraines seemed to get worse (my provider took my propranolol down to 80 mg and that was when the migraines really got worse. I would have them everyday, often twice a day. I tried everything for my migraines, changing my diet, going up to the 140mg injection, CBD, regular marijuana, exercise, meditation. I try really hard not to take pain meds daily but right now they are so bad that I usually have to. This bout of headaches/migraines have been going on every day for 8 weeks today. I hate Topamax, it makes me so ditzy and messes up my word finding. The constipation has not been an issue for me. I am going to give this dose 3 months to see if it helps. I mean it did cut my migraines down way over 50 percent over the span of the first 3 months. I also get a massive headache for the few days before the injection”

Ellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 31, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Extreme constipation so bad that I may need to discontinue. But it has significantly lessened my migraines. However, when I get a migraine, it is worse than ever and unable to be controlled with a triptan, ibuprofen, Tylenol combo.”

Sharla · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “My neurologist gave me Aimovig to try to control severe migraines. A week later, IC of the bladder flared enough to go to a urologist for 6 weeks of treatments and a year of diet modifications. It had been in remission for 9 years. A week after that I was at my gp for severe joint pain, dry mouth, extremely dry eyes and skin, sores in my mouth. I was having to use spray in my mouth and special toothpaste, long lasting lotion and 3 types of eye drops. I couldn’t wear contacts my eyes were so dry. I had Sjögren’s syndrome. These two autoimmune diseases were brought on by the aimovig, a CRGP. A neurologist in CA studies and publishes how the crgps cause autoimmune diseases in some people who are prone. It’s taken a year, multiple specialists, herbalist and herbs, supplements, a special diet and lots of migraines that got way worse and one year later I’m 75% better from the autoimmune disease it caused.”

Regretful · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Started noticing drastic reduction in migraine days after the second Aimovig shot (went from having 20+ a month to 1-2) but it had such horrible side effects that I had to get off the drug. I was dizzy and tired all the time, not to mention bowel movement changes everyone is talking about. I developed shingles after 2 months of being on this drug and started having unexplained vaginal bleeding. Vaginal bleeding isn't listed anywhere on the side effects for Aimovig but it is the only medication I've added recently. My OBGYN performed ultrasound and blood check for hormone imbalance but everything checked normal. I have been off of Aimovig for 3 months now and my migraines are coming back. Other than taking medication for high blood pressure, I am a healthy woman. I saw that it takes 5 months for this medication to be flushed out of your system. I don't know how I'm going to last another 2 months.”

Ulotah · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “This seems to have almost cured my headaches. I still get some but they are different! Not the same headache! Most of the time a cup of coffee takes care of it. Other times Aleve. I might take a migraine abortive once a month now. Where has this stuff been for the last 20 years????”

Karma · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Right after I took my first injection of Aimovig and boy was I sick. I got nauseous and had a bad migraine. A few weeks later I had heart palpitations( which I never had before) and I was so tired I couldn't get up in the morning. The second injection was no better. Same as the first one. Nothing changed. Did anyone test this medicine before it came out? I am no longer taking it. I don't need all of these side effects and the tiredness is the worst. Will never try a CGRP-R again!”

Kat · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 8, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “It took awhile to kick in fully, but this has been the best treatment for my migraines that I have tried so far”

Randomnicknake · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I've read all the horror stories on here about Aimovig and was a bit skeptical of taking it, but nothing else has worked over the past decade so I went and tried it. For me I still have regular nausea and the occasionally constipation but my migraine days have dropped by a crazy amount and everything is a lot less foggy than pre-erenumab/aimovig. Obviously isn't going to work for everyone but for me it has changed my life.”

Boofa29 June 3, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I just took this 2 days ago, so I can’t say if it completely works to prevent migraines yet. I absolutely have no energy & I’m super spacey. I read the reviews for this medication after the injection & I’m kicking myself now. I listened to my doctor who told me that the only side effect was constipation. From what I’m reading people about 10 days after taking this medication have severe fatigue. Well I’m only 2 days out, & can’t keep my eyes open barely to write this review. I have a 2 year old toddler & this has been difficult so I can’t imagine how the rest of the month will be. I’m regretting this decision so much. I normally have slight fatigue because I have a toddler, so if u normally feel a little fatigue then my suggestion would be not to take this drug. The first day after taking it, I had a migraine all day long. Normally I have them at night. Today it’s SEVERE FATIGUE. I rather take other medication then deal w/this for a month! Never again!”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 1, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Aimovig brought my migraine frequency down to almost zero. However the side effects were awful. The worst being constipation. I haven't taken an injection in over a month and the constipation still persists. So much so I have to see a gastroenterologist. If you use this medication beware the side effects can be severe”

Manovacat · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I'm one week in and Aimovig has been a godsend. I'm hoping this isn't just a placebo effect. I haven't had any issues with constipation so far.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I began using Aimovig since it came out on the market. I went from 18-20 migraines a month down to 7-8. I tend to get them about a week before I’m due for my injection and the first few days after. I have noticed in the past few months that it’s isn’t as effective as it had been but still a huge reduction in migraine days.”

DitzyBlonde · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “This prevented migraines but the first 2 months it made me even more ditzy than normal. Mainly, after the 3rd time, I felt like my brain was on warp drive and I cant explain it. I felt crazy because I didn't know how to relieve the brain pressure. Ice made it worse. Fourth dose approaching and I'm not ready for crazy”

uua90 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “If you like splitting headaches, nausea, sleep disturbances/nightmares, fatigue, bowel problems, and muscle aches, this is the drug for you! I've had chronic migraines and cluster headaches since 2016, and haven't even been employed since then. Started Botox in 2019. It is the only treatment that has really worked for me-- it's a miracle. However, I was having really bad rebound migraines between injections... Enter aimovig. What followed was a splitting, incredibly painful, multi day headache. Not a *migraine,* just a really, really bad headache. After that initial phase, I would be overcome with fatigue, nausea, nightmares, and general malaise. My migraines respond best to diet restrictions and Botox. I'm sensitive to a lot of meds and didn't have much luck with most migraine medications, including triptans. So, if your migraine profile is similar to mine, skip aimovig!”

Gingerpom May 20, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Female 65 yr, 5'3" 123#. Migraine started in my 20's. Increasing to daily migraine. Have been under neurologist care for decades & you name it & I've swallowed or been jabbed with it. *March 3, 2020 Aimovig 70mg (free sample) which gave me relief from March 4 until May 3, 2020 with NO migraines. 2 months & no migraines - fantastic! Side effects were constipation, 5# weight increase, then right ankle pain (took ibuprofen). will update after prescription refill”