Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 11, 2021.
Generic name: ERENUMAB 70mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection
The recommended dosage of AIMOVIG is 70 mg injected subcutaneously once monthly. Some patients may benefit from a dosage of 140 mg injected subcutaneously once monthly.
If a dose of AIMOVIG is missed, administer as soon as possible. Thereafter, AIMOVIG can be scheduled monthly from the date of the last dose.
Important Administration Instructions
AIMOVIG is for subcutaneous use only.
The needle shield within the white or orange cap of the AIMOVIG prefilled autoinjector and gray needle cap of the AIMOVIG prefilled syringe contain dry natural rubber (a derivative of latex), which may cause allergic reactions in individuals sensitive to latex.
AIMOVIG is intended for patient self-administration. Prior to use, provide proper training to patients and/or caregivers on how to prepare and administer AIMOVIG using the single-dose prefilled autoinjector or single-dose prefilled syringe, including aseptic technique [see Instructions for Use]:
- Prior to subcutaneous administration, allow AIMOVIG to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes protected from direct sunlight [see How Supplied/Storage and Handling (16.2)]. This is important for administering the entire dose and helps minimize discomfort. Do not warm by using a heat source such as hot water or a microwave.
- Do not shake the product.
- Inspect visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration [see Dosage Forms and Strengths (3)]. Do not use if the solution is cloudy or discolored or contains flakes or particles.
- Administer AIMOVIG in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm subcutaneously. Do not inject into areas where the skin is tender, bruised, red, or hard.
- Both prefilled autoinjector and prefilled syringe are single-dose and deliver the entire contents.
Frequently asked questions
- Emgality vs Aimovig - how do they compare?
- How long does it take for Aimovig to start working?
- Ajovy vs Aimovig: What's the difference between them?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment and prevention of migraine?
- Does Aimovig cause weight gain or loss?
- Why does Aimovig cause constipation?
- What is the mechanism of action of Aimovig?
- Can you drink alcohol with Aimovig?
- Can Aimovig cause hair loss (alopecia)?
- How long does Aimovig last in your system?
- What is the cost of the migraine drug Ajovy?
- How does Aimovig work to prevent migraine?
- How do you use the Aimovig autoinjector?
- What type of drug is Ajovy?
- How do you inject Aimovig?
More about Aimovig (erenumab)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Patient Tips
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 500 Reviews
- Drug class: CGRP inhibitors
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.