Can Aimovig cause hair loss (alopecia)?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Aug 19, 2020.
Aimovig (erenumab-aooe), a medicine used for migraine prevention, did not lead to hair loss (alopecia) during clinical trials submitted for FDA-approval. The most common side effects with Aimovig include injection site reactions and constipation, which can be serious. Cramps, muscle spasms and allergic reactions have also been reported.
If you are experiencing hair thinning or hair loss, it may be due to a medical condition or another medication. Contact your doctor for further advice.
Does Aimovig cause any serious side effects?
- Constipation can be a common and serious side effect with Aimovig and may lead to hospitalization or the need for surgery.
- Aimovig can also cause serious allergies, high blood pressure or worsening of high blood pressure, and cramps and muscle spasms.
- Besides constipation, other common side effects with Aimovig include injection site reactions, that can lead to pain, redness, or swelling.
Call your health care provider or get emergency medical help right away if you experience swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, or throat, or have trouble breathing. These are all signs of a possible allergic reaction with Aimovig.
These are not all the possible side effects of Aimovig. For more information, ask your doctor, nurse or pharmacist for details on side effects and view the product information.
Aimovig side effects (in more detail)
- Hair loss has not been reported as a side effect with Aimovig, an injectable medicine used for migraine prevention.
- If you have experienced hair thinning or hair loss (alopecia), contact your health care provider. Hair loss can be a side effect of other medications or from some medical conditions.
- Aimovig is associated with other side effects, such as allergies or constipation, which can be serious. New occurrences of high blood pressure, worsening of high blood pressure, and cramps and muscle spasms have also been reported.
This is not all the information you need to know about Aimovig (erenumab-aooe) for safe and effective use. Review the full product information, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Aimovig (erenumab-aooe) product information. Amgen. Thousand Oaks, CA. Revised Feb. 2020. Accessed August 19, 2020.
Related Medical Questions
- Emgality vs Aimovig - how do they compare?
- How long does it take for Aimovig to start working?
- Ajovy vs Aimovig: What's the difference between them?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment and prevention of migraine?
- Does Aimovig cause weight gain or loss?
- Why does Aimovig cause constipation?
- What is the mechanism of action of Aimovig?
- Can you drink alcohol with Aimovig?
- How long does Aimovig last in your system?
- What is the cost of the migraine drug Ajovy?
- How does Aimovig work to prevent migraine?
- How do you use the Aimovig autoinjector?
- What type of drug is Ajovy?
- How do you inject Aimovig?