User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Seizures 3 reviews 48 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topiramate reviews 605 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Topiramate

For Migraine Prevention: "I had started taking this medication quite a few years ago. About 4 to be exact and it wasn't until about 1 year ago that I started to see a HUGE difference in my skin. I have extremely unbareble dry skin now that just flakes off and flakes off and flakes off. I moisturize everyday constantly but it just gets worse and there's nothing that helps it. Does anyone else experience this problem? I just want to know if it is the medication because I have not had dry skin my whole life and want to make sure that it will go away when I get off of it.."

K14 July 23, 2016

Qudexy XR (topiramate) for Seizures: "So I've been taking Topiramate for 3 yrs for seizures & migraines (both of which have disappeared.) Yes, the side effects are terrible, especially the word searching & insomnia. But my seizures were debilitating, & I was having migraines 3x a month, so I can deal with the side effects. My biggest problem is the lack of appetite. Because of my insomnia, my doc switched me to Qudexy, which is topiramate in a time release capsule. When I was taking regular Topiramate I did lose weight, approx 60lbs in 2 yrs & then the weight loss stopped. I went from 200 lbs-140 lbs. & I very happy with that. Since I switched to Qudexy 2 months ago, I've lost close to 20 lbs & have no desire to eat. I feel like I'm force feeding myself. I dont know what to do."

AShrinkingViolet (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2016

For Obesity: "Hi, thank you all for your comments. Ive just started topamax (second night) 25mg and cant sleep. I now see its a side effect that some expereince and it will go away. I will persist. Had a bit of a headache and a bit fuzzy in the morning but thats it. will let you know in a week if any weight loss. definately not feeling hungry."

Aussigal July 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: "Used it for a mth and having the weirdest seizures ever"

33yrsofseisures July 15, 2016

For Obesity: "I only took this medicine for 1 dose (25 mg) because it made my eyes fire red. So red that people were like what's wrong with your eyes! It took about 24 hours for it to go away. I had a pharmacist tell me not to take it then the doctor tell me to use Visine so I just didn't take anymore after reading the black box warnings. I didn't feel hungry like I usually do but I did feel pretty foggy."

klovely21 July 14, 2016

For Seizures: "Been on several different meds for my epilepsy. Take it in conjunction with Tegretol and Keppra. Works great initially but loses its potency after awhile. Dosage has to constantly be increased. Side effects experienced include: Increased urination, trouble searching for words / memory problems, and depression. Although, I think, the depression is linked to other influences it might aggravate the symptom. (50 yr old male, mid America)"

SeizureDAD (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I took this medicine because I was having severe headaches every day and tried everything my Doctor put me on Topamax it will take your headaches away and remove the weight I never felt bad but I had a hard time remembering simple things as coworkers names, what measuring cup to use for wet and dry items I could never remember the words I needed to carry on a conversation. I stop taking this medication because I could not function at my place of employment not to mention the short term memory loss & loosing my hair was crazy. I truly think that so many people get caught up with being able to stay so thin that they keep taking it. I took 50mg morning and 50mg @ night. Not worth it."

shawtie July 12, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "This medicine is horrible. I last 2 days on only 25 mgs. The side effects are not worth it."

JT25 July 7, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Personally this drug helped my mood swings greatly, however I was quite disturbed that it agitated my diet as much as it did. I have a co-morbid eating disorder which was agitated by the med. The Topirimate made it so I HAD to eat my food a very specific way. Something soft, yet crunchy at the same time. Normally I wouldnt complain, however it was always on my mind.I think the hardest thing about the med was the appetite suppression for me. I was down to eating one meal a day, which ultimately let to me not loosing any weight which I can say was very difficult for me. I had increased irritability, and I felt overly fatigued. I am also on Citalopram, which is a terrible combination if you're prone to fatigue."

Kinkymink July 6, 2016

For Obesity: "I am a 56 y.o. woman. I need to loose 20%bw. ( about 36lbs) I tried Contrave with horrible side effects. Dr prescribed Topiramate because of migraines. I have been taking 25g a.m.& p.m. I bike 3x and wk. No migraines, some minor "word salad" steady small weight loss. 6lbs in 3-4 weeks. Decreased appetite and increase in drinking water. It has been so easy, I'm surprised when the scale is down!! I am extremely happy so far."

Karlatte (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: "When I first started this medication it was OK ,I was never told this medicine cause memory loss. It's really bad, I can't remember at times if I took my medicine and places I have been going all my life I can't remember how to get there. Please be aware!!!"

Dimples1621 June 28, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Absolutely horrible!! It wasn't until a yr of several tests, scans and a colonoscopy that made me go to another Dr and beg him to find out what was wrong with me. I never dreamed it was this medicine. I had lost 30 lbs but I had diarreha, funny taste in mouth, weak, hair loss, foggy, memory was bad, felt like my muscle mass was going down to nothing...my daughter said I was looking frail all the time. It started getting hard to get out of bed...this went on for a yr and a half.I was getting older and taking care of my elderly folks so I didn't read into it much. I'm so glad I switched drs...he noticed immediately what it was and told me to wean myself off of it."

Tiggerific June 26, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "helps me to sleep and a lot less head akes"

skip the pain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: " This is the worst medication ever. Started at 25mg for 7 days at night then moved up to 50 mg. on night 7 to advance each week up until100mg. Didn't get past day12 and decided this was not going to work for me. Vertigo, nausea, loss of appetite, irrational fears, phobias, drug induced fog, depression, ringing in ears and can only smell certain strange odors which are unpleasant and all carbonated drinks are flat and tasteless. At this point, your quality of life is beyond worthless. It helped with migraines...but I was so preoccupied and sick with side effects I'm not sure what was worse."

Jojo2222 (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "Ok so I am going on my third week of topamax I have seizures uncontrollably migraines and obesity so let me begin with saying this I have noticed a significant change in my body as far as the weight loss goes 6pds since I have been on it and still loosing however I have lost my appetite I have no desire to eat I may eat one time a day that's the only downside I have noticed a change in carbonated drinks they don't taste the same anymore I am currently coming off tegortol which was only treating my seizures and I was gaining so much weight so I'm thankful that topamax is working for me and i only have to take one pill a day to treat all my ailments"

Caseyant June 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "After several concussions, i was left with months of daily, debilitating headaches that were ruining my quality of life. My neurologist prescribed me this medication for post concussive syndrome- 50 mgs a day and it has been a miracle drug! This medicine has given me my life back. I am much more mobile, less irritable, and overall happier. I've been on the medicine for about a month though, and have seen a slight return of symptoms. I used to live off of over the counter pain killers, but this medicine has really helped to repair the damage to my brain after tbi. Was warned it would effect memory, but haven't noticed that as a side effect."

Allie830202 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I took this medication starting in August. I stopped because my hair was falling out. I'm 20 years old and I've lost most of my hair now. I had to go get it cut to my shoulders in hopes it would look better but if doesn't. I began taking topamax to help with my migraines and I dropped a lot of weight. I lost 20 lbs over the course of 8 months. I now weigh 136lbs and sort of want to continue because I love the fact that I'm losing all this weight but I know it's bad for me as I am now getting addicted. I've been off the medication for about 2 months and my migraines are returning. I don't want to continue taking it because of my hair loss but I am not sure what to do. I tried taking medicine for hair, skin & nails to help but it didn't work."

Young Concerned Adult (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been on Topamax (topiramate) for 6 years, and loved it at first. My migraines decreased dramatically, I had weight loss from the appetite suppression, and I overall felt better. But I had pretty bad tingling in my hands and all over my face for the whole time I've taken it. Also more recently, I've made the connection with my severe memory loss to the medication. I used to be able to retain information and facts like an elephant, but I can hardly recall simple words some days. I'm planning on going off the Topamax (with the direction of my neuro) because the memory loss issue is so disturbing to me."

PMarieRN June 9, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: "I love this medicine. My Dr originally gave it to me for weight loss but it got rid of all my joint pains. I had it everywhere. It was a miracle drug for me. I am noticing some memory loss, and difficulty concentrating but I'm 52 so it could be age. I'm going to cut back on the dosage and see if I notice changes."

Turn1964 June 2, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "After taking 100mg daily, it took me roughly 3 months for my migraines to dramatically stop. I went from having approximately 12 migraines monthly to having maybe two. The side effects of this medication for me: for 3 weeks I could not focus, extreme fatigue, restlessness. I cannot drink anything carbonated, as a result, I lost 20 pounds in the first month. Serious appetite loss. I've been on this medication for 9 months and lost a total of 43 pounds. I have to take in the morning otherwise I cannot sleep. It also helps with my OCD tendencies. If you can make it through 3 weeks of outter space, this medication is worth it!!"

Kimber Deyton June 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was initially prescribed for weight loss and it started working on day one for that, also levels out mood swings and gives me a slight boost in energy, so far no memory or cognitive impairment, side effects are occasional light headedness when I stand up and occasional numbing in hands and feet, and decreased thirst, 25mg twice a day"

roymunsun May 21, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking topamax for over 10 years. At first I lost 30 pounds. YIKES ! I stabilized and gained back some weight to a good weight for me. A few times I've had tingling in my fingers that lasted avery short duration. I 've been a chronic migraine sufferer for over 30 years. Started at 20 and I'll be 54 soon. Like many...I 've been to many Dr's and tried too many meds. This was the only thing that worked. Thankfully, for me, the side effects were minimal. Just because you have one bad experience, don't suffer. Find something. Meditation. ..something. You deserve a better life. We wouldn't be on this board if we didn't want to discourage or encourage someone else. Keep trying to live pain free."

6754bon (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "First started topamax in 2013 lost 30 lbs on 75mg in 3 mos topamax 25 mg 3 x a day w/30 mg prozac once a da. Weight went from 278 to 248. I am 65 year old female obese all my life. Had experimental Lap band surgery in 1979. Gained all weight back. Tried everything and gained back all weight every time. Can't take diet pills make me too jittery. After three years stopped topamax because of minor memory loss which I thought was embarrassing. Stayed on Prozac 30mg and gained all weight back and more up to 291. Now I am really depressed. Came off Prozac and am back on topamax 25 mg in morning and 25 mg at night only. Have lost 3 lbs in one week. So happy. Would rather walk and feel better physically than remember someones name,"

Reeneebee May 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking Topiramate, 50mg twice a day, for several years. At first, it worked great and I was recommending it to all my migraine sufferer friends, but gradually, week by week, I seem to have built up a resistance to it and recently, the migraines are back with a vengeance. I have a condition that causes the migraines and I get them most days now. Also, I can only take paracetamol as I take blood thinning medication and it doesn't work for me at all as a painkiller. The side effects I personally get with Topiramate are negligible compared to the pain of migraine, I have 'brain fog' now and then, temporarily forget words, peoples names, etc. But it's back to the Dr. again now to ask for an alternative preventative - if there is one"

fuzzykia May 13, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I am getting ready to start this medicine so thanks for all the information. I also have tried everything with no real help. I also had bad HAIR LOSS for years now. And am not sure what causes it but have found a fix. Onion juice. I liquidity a onion with olive oil. The smell will be horrible, put it on all over hair an scalp. Leave on for an hour or more. Shampoo with dawn dish soap good twice an sock hair twice with vinegar. This will take care of smell. The results were immediate and awesome. Now instead of a hand full of hair with my shower I only have a few strands. I done this two weeks in a row, now I'm gonna go to once a month."

Bokeys May 13, 2016