User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Seizures 6 reviews 49 medications

4.3
Smoking Cessation 3 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Topiramate reviews 760 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Topiramate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been taking for 3.5 years. Total godsend when I first started during a depression; I felt a calmness I'd never felt before. Got the weight loss side effect, & eventually managed to drop the 70 lbs. that I'd gained from other mental meds (karma!). Starting side effects were hard: Was nauseous 1st week & felt like someone had kicked my butt; the successive titrations over the next few months were the same, minus the nausea, lasting a week or less. Side effects afterwards: I'll occasionally get pins & needles in fingers, slight name/word recall issues but no serious case of the stupids unless I go above 150mg, & constant thirst/ dry mouth. Only 8 stars cuz I'm not sure it's working anymore (possibly cuz pharmacy switched brands)."

Gone Bananas (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Started on Tuesday of this week so excited to try something different since I had been on bupap for years. I took it around 230pm right after my yearly visit. Around 630pm I couldn't see in my left eye it was so blurry I had to close one eye to read. I was also confused felt like a child on ritalin. I was slow pace doing things. I didn't eat, soda tasted flat. Wednesday I woke up with stomach pains blurry vision diarrhea and nausea..what a day to start. No motivation, ringing in my ears, light sensitivity I'm just plan through with this meditation..Thursday today I'm off but still have the side effects I don't know how long it will wear off. But I'm going back to bupap. Screw this that medication is for people one flew over the cuckoos nest!"

Spidermandy (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obesity: "I'm calling this the 'Closer to Perfection Drug!' All since March 13/2017 - Taking 200mg now - Psoriasis has deminished substantially!!! - Went from wearing my hubby's 3x to men's L ( loose fit shirt too!!!) - No more migraines but I have a pressure system in my head like old men do in their knees when storms are coming! (Never wrong on this one) - The trick to all this, I work WITH it. I don't expect the pill to do it all for me. I drink 2-3 liters if not 4 a day and I eat healthy. I have a big protein breakfast and I have a smaller dinner. I exercise. - I have cheat treats but watch my sodium every day. It helps. Take care of your body and it will take care of you in return!"

Michalle (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "ONLY 25mg/day 2nd try. Lasted 3 days. Whoa just whoa! Within 1 hour my pain lessened but side effects were already producing. First my vision got really distorted. I couldn't focus on command at all. Then my bottom lip wouldn't stop tingling with a numb feeling. I got extremely dizzy, felt out of it. So I thought let me lay down. Feel asleep 15 min.. Woke up thought an hour passed was completely out of it. Whole left side of face felt palsy completely numb. Tingling/numbness arms, hands, legs + feet. Next day visual less but symptoms still there. Then the suicidal thoughts and worthlessness came. I made it one more day. Missed a day. And took following day. I can't do anything on it. Comatosed n psychiatric mind games. DONE!! I'm better w/o it"

Dest1979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking this medication for about 5 weeks now. Regarding the migraines, I have only had one and this is because I was over tired (not a trigger but felt terrible and it was more a bad headache). I suffer from cluster headaches/migraines and have done since about the age of 12 for about 25 years (now 38). Pretty healthy otherwise, normal weight, would like to lose 7lbs (like most) but had Xmas weight to shift. I was put on 25mg a day - at night. Wow, did I experience the crazy side effects! But, these were to be expected. Appetite reduced, about 7lb lost, until Easter...5 day binge! But, hope to get back on track. Will report back soon"

dizzyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "I weighed 230 pounds and felt like a cow.. I started off on 25 mg 1x a day and noticed no change. So asked doc to change me to 100 mg twice a day. I just take the 200mg at once. That's when I finally noticed a change. I've lost 45 pounds in 6 months! I'm continuing to lose and my goal weight is 160 since I'm tall so only 25 more pounds to go. I noticed at first pop tasted different but now it tastes fine. I used to love beer but now I don't want it..which is fine since it's so fattening lol. I only eat once or twice a day and the carb cravings are gone. I don't exercise much at all. I have no side effects at all. I'm so glad I found this medication it really has been a miracle. :)"

Miracle1Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines in 2010 and I had severe 24/7 vertigo. I always had "regular" migraines since I was a teen, but after an infection of the inner ear in 2010, my migraines changed and I had both pain and vertigo. For one year I had constant vertigo and I honestly thought I would become housebound. I could not go to theatres, malls, stores, or any areas with lots of people because crowds would make me dizzy. My work was in jeopardy. I tried Topamax and it gave me my life back. The initial side effects were awful but my body slowly adjusted to them. Eventually, the dizziness went away. I now take 225 mg daily. I have some word finding and concentration problems but that sure beats 24/7 vertigo."

Scarlettsun (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizure Prevention: "I'm the only person in the World that gained weight while taking this med. 25mg 2/day for 10 months, gained 30lbs."

Dick Head April 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Topomax for bipolar II disorder, with lamictal. However Topomax has been a life saver for me. I tend to have racing thoughts and impulsive behavior, as well as bouts of irritability and anxiety, I am also on nuvival which can exacerbate anxiety and klonipine as needed. I am quite used to the cognitive changes, they do not make you stupid. Misconception. Intellectual level is unchanging. However, I had to learn to compensate for word find instances, word pronunciation and some fatigue. I should probably take half in day, but I have days fatigue but would rather not due an extra klonipin added to night dose. But this may be needed. Don't let the bad experiences stop you, we really have to experiment to find what works for us"

CM Sutton 1966 (taken for 10 years or more) April 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Having migraines since grade 7, I became desperate after trying almost everything else. My experience was as follows: -insomnia (literally didn’t sleep for almost 40 hours after Day 1) -eye pressure & leaking eyes -tingling in arm, foot & nose -restlessness -urinating up to 60 times a day -overheating/heat surges -face & neck hives -mechanically/cognitively not ok In the end, I wound up in the emergency room and was told to get off of this medication immediately after only 3 days!!! It's 3 days since my last dose and I am still not ok! Very dangerous and not recommended at all!"

Elie_Gabs April 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obesity: "It takes a while to kick in, and you HAVE to gradually increase your dosage - like, start at 25mg twice a day, then every 2 weeks, 25 mg more - gradually increase to the max dosage your doc wants you on. Otherwise the more negative side effects will be more pronounced. I am on this medication for migraines, and the weight loss is a "side effect." It took about 6 months before I saw any weight loss at all, so I was frustrated at first, though the migraines did start to subside a bit. Now, I've been on it a year, and I've gone from 235 lbs. to 205 lbs. without trying at all. Like, I'm not exercising any more than I was, I haven't been dieting at all that I'm aware of - I just don't crave food like I used to. Headaches better too."

NellieBelloo March 29, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizure Prevention: "Took plenty of epilepsy medicine for epilepsy since I was 12 and most of them were useless within a month or a few. Started taking topiramate at 20 with the dosage of 25mg while increasing by 25mg every two weeks for 8 weeks to 100mg. A pill every morning/night. While going from a casual of 5-20 seizures a day to 0-5 seizures a day I shouldn't be complaining regrading the medicine itself actually being effective, although the side effects are noticeable. Especially the memory/studying related ones all the sudden. Not sure I would recommend a student to take this while going to college or high school."

Alex96 March 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obesity: "Also taking it for seizures & migranes from concussions. Obesity wasn't an issue until 2 years ago when the trauma hit. That's when things got bad. I've gained about 80+ 2 years ago. Just got myself out of a wheelchair last fall but still suffer from chronic pelvic pain from abuse as a child. So that tingling that many have an issue with, my Brain Rehabilitation Specialist said bananas. You need potassium if you are experiencing that. You have to also take 500mg - 1000mg of Magnesium with this for proper nerve function and especially if you get migraines during your menstrual cycle. I crave loads of water since starting. Bathroom visits plenty "

Michalle (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was for about a year on gen Bupropion 300mg (Wellbutrin), gen Lexapro 20/10mg & Clonazepam (0.5 mg).These kept me functioning for some time and pulled out of a very debilitating depression that kept me at home for a month. During this year, I still suffered from a lot of ups and downs, my anxiety was getting worse and worse, so my mood swings. I kept pushing my psychiatrist, she was skeptical about my mood swings but I knew there was more going on. I am now on 50mg of generic Topamax (it's definitely controlled my mood swings and a bit my anxiety), it's only been 2 months but I definitely feel a change. Planning on stop taking Lexapro. My Side effects: Weird tasting on (black sodas) and dizziness. A new one is phantom smells."

Nick1991 March 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "LOVE ! Honestly. In the beginning, I did want to get off this medication. Some of the side effects for the first couple months are just annoying, but I was able to push through them. I was overweight at the time of starting this too for my migraines, and my migraines/headaches were SO BAD. But I was able to lose some weight from it too, which is nice. The most annoying side effect in my opinion would be the tingling in the tips of the fingers and toes, only lasted maybe 2-3 months for me. After that they faded and they're gone. After about a month a half of using this drug my headaches subsided quickly, now I'm migraine and headache free completely. I will forever take this medication as long as my Neuro says its okay too."

sthomp1 March 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "To be honest, I can't tell you if it helped with the prevention of migraines or not. I have had chronic migraines for 15 years now. They are accompanied by loss of feeling in my hands, aura, and sometimes my words come out as gibberish. I have tried just about everything from medications to natural remedies for my migraines. When my new neurologist suggested I take Topamax I thought that I would finally be rid of my migraines. I didn't even last a week on this medication though. I couldn't stand for more than thirty seconds without being dizzy and having shortness of breath. My stomach ached and I had a tingling sensation in my hands. I also had a slight fever. My doctor wanted to attribute all of these things to the start of a cold."

Kellight March 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I have had migraines since my first son was born nearly 27 years ago. They had become more and more frequent....almost daily. I was using the maximum amount of Maxalt that my insurance would allow. I asked my doctor for a prophylactic medication for migraines. I am now up to 100 mg of Topiramate 2 X daily. Yes there are some side effects. I have some tingling in my hands, sometimes my mouth is dry, if I don't have to work or don't have a lot planned I feel tired and lazy. I crave less sweets/ food in general...sometimes feel a little nauseated. I was losing weight (20 lbs) before starting the medication and continued after. I have stabilized at a 40lb weightloss. No other side effects. Restless legs are gone. Better sleep."

Ljray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I started to take topiramate 100mg 6wks ago after my neurologist prescribed it for migraine prevention, I feel awful :-( I don't feel human, I feel depressed, dizzy, agitated 24/7, feel like I can't cope anymore and feeling suicidal my partner/friends/family have all noticed the change in me and I'm now considering if it's worth me carrying on taking them. I was so hopeful when the neurologist mentioned this tablet because he said I would also lose weight with it which I have lost 4lb's with so far but I would rather be fat and happy then skinny and angry if that's the choice I have with these tablets"

Mumto3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "My bp was up so they reduced my Wellbutrin XL, which I take for major depressive disorder, and gave me this. Not a bright idea for someone with anxiety. I have mild anxiety. Racing negative thoughts. Took it 3 days, still have issues months later."

pmbourque March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I am a 53 year old female. I have suffered from migraine since I was 12. I get cluster migraines and sometimes 2-3 a day after they break. My life has been on hold the past 8 years as I couldn't drive due to migraines coming on without notice and could not even take/ go see my grand daughters due to lights, migraines, you get it. So I was started on topiramate 25 mg, 1x at bed, for week, and each week increase 25 mg till I reach 100 mg. I also suffered daily headaches this is my 4th week. Until reading reviews I did not know about hair loss or tingling. I have not had one migraine since starting but think I'm going to stay on 50mg for now as they seem to work. I have notice I can't eat much and soda and even coffee taste awful."

Edmonton29 March 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on Top. 50mg BID for about 3 weeks now. Let me tell you...!!! Psychosomatic or not it worked within days! I was never diagnosed with this bipolar yet my hubby always joked saying I was. I'm not too manic. I have anger, anxiety and procrastination issues. But I work my ass off and do my wifely/motherly/grandma duties. So I didn't realize how truly bad off I was till for some reason decided to try it when offered it . I'm actually a lil more comfortable in social atmospheres now than I ever have! I can get up with a plan and actually get stuff done! There was an invisible wall blocking me. I have a lot of pain that I can't afford to look into further tho. So far so good. The pins and needles suck."

Hopeful426 March 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "After my first pill I felt like I was going to die on this medicine. My mind blacked out. I could not think clearly. I collapsed. I could not remember anything. I could not feel my body. I could not walk. It was terrifying. I was home alone. It was not a good experience!"

Ash12LE March 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "Was on topamax 200mg 2x day for eight years. It cut back on my daily migraines. Went down to about 2-3x week. I lost 125 pounds in the first year I was on it. No appetite. Food tasted metallic, flat or just weird. I did get one kidney stone. After years of being on high dose, I started getting chest pain. My doctor took me off topamax about 7 years ago. I had bad withdrawals after weaning off, no seizures thankfully. Migraines have been daily again for last 18 months. Tried to go back on topamax but I can't tolerate it any more. After one 25mg tablet at bed time, I woke up with severe headache, dizziness and nausea. The next night I took one tablet and side effects were increased. I stopped. Side effects bad for two weeks. No thanks."

TosaTat (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Well, uh, Wow..... My dosage: 50mg at night, 1x a day for Topamax Other medicine with it: Phenergan, 25mg, 1x a day Taken at midnight every day like clockwork. Background: Car wreck at 18, C1 tilted, C2 rotated, headaches ever since with increasing severity, dizziness, usually ending in projectile vomiting. No major side effects, slight tingles, slight off balance, slightly more sensitive to light overall, slightly slowed thinking once in a while, feel slightly twitchy. No hair loss, no weight loss. 6 weeks in, went from 2-3-4 headaches a week to 3 in 6 weeks. So far, so good. Do I like it? Well, yes and no. Don't want to be on forever, but until surgical solution found, it's good enough."

MrGG12345 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "After reading all of the horrific side effects (hair loss being the big one for me) I decided to look up the rate of this side effect. The answer? 2% Take all the bad reviews with a grain of salt, knowing it's typically what drives a person to write a review in the first place. Onto the details I'm taking Topirimate 75mg for migraines (occipital neuralgia). I was instructed by my doctor to take my medication in the evening, that was a majority of the "foggy" feeling will be while I'm sleeping. I do notice I begin to start getting a little disoriented, but that's completely gone by morning. I stopped drinking since the risk of kidney stone is (slightly) higher. I make sure to drink more water, and Gatorade occasionally."

wakenfern3869 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017