User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR Eprontia

Topiramate has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 1,219 ratings on Drugs.com. 52% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 29% reported a negative experience.

Migraine Prevention
Vulvodynia  Off-label
Summary of Topiramate reviews 6.3 1,219 reviews

Reviews for Topiramate

Sunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 25, 2019

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “I was prescribed Topamax for migraine headaches and weight loss. Being on Depakote, my weight had shot up 25 pounds with no end in sight. I was even craving sweets, which I had never done. After two days of Topamax, my appetite decreased noticeably. After a week, I had lost 7 pounds. By the time I had been on it for a month, I was down to 125 and still not hungry. Eating became something I thought I should do instead of something I HAD to do. When my weight dropped to 118, I stopped the Topamax, thinking, if I start to gain weight I’ll take it again. It’s been six years since I’ve taken Topamax and I weigh 130; 20.4 BMI. The results seem to last. I’m not sure it worked for my migraines, but it’s awesome for weight loss!”

Twin · Taken for less than 1 month · March 8, 2020

For Obesity: “I have been prescribed Topamax 25 at bed time due to over eating and sleepless nights associated with depression and medication weight gain. I have been on it for two days now and the cravings are still strong as ever. How long does it unusually take for it to kick in?”

Margie · Taken for less than 1 month · August 29, 2020

For Obesity: “Topiramate is a miracle medication! A godsend for losing weight! I have only had to be on a dose of 25mg topiramate a day and it has hugely reduced my appetite so that I've been eating very small portions, and only wanted to eat healthy food, and I haven't been thinking about food all the time like I use to. I used to binge eat three times a day incredibly unhealthy and have unhealthy snacks like chocolate brownies, and spent around $90 a day on Ubereats. On topiramate I'm rapidly losing weight. I was told by my psychiatrist that I'd start on 25mg, after one week move up to 50mg then after another week go up to 100mg, and she told me all about the side effects especially memory loss. I haven't had any side-effects! Perhaps because I've only needed to be on 25mg! Plus, in Australia it's extremely inexpensive. This medication has been incredible and life-changing. I wish I'd found it years ago!”

Happy Camper · Taken for less than 1 month · May 24, 2013

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!”

Migraine - Weight Loss a Plus! · Taken for less than 1 month · May 18, 2014

For Obesity: “Before Topamax I used to suffer from chronic migraines I mean 3-4 migraines a week. Been on Topamax for nearly 3 weeks, day one 25mg instant appetite suppressant loss 18.7lbs in 2wks! Inches everywhere, food taste good just eat very little of i.t I'm never ever hungry but I enjoy cooking! I have energy, not bogged down with lots of medicines anymore and not one full migraine! I'm excited to lose weight it's actually very easy to eat healthy. Its all you crave and I was a sweet addict. No ugly side effects as described, not on this dosage. So I hope this has helped someone.”

LovelyNi · Taken for less than 1 month · May 27, 2014

For Obesity: “I have been on Topiramate 25mg for 1 week to be exact and have lost 8lbs as of this morning. I feel this has been my savior. I have always been healthy (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no High Cholesterol) however I've always been obese and worked towards trying to rid myself of the weight in efforts to prevent myself from getting those diseases in the future. This has given me the kick start I need. It reduced my cravings for sweets and carbs as well as suppressed my appetite. I do eat 3 meals a day (or at least I try to when I can remember) but for the most part, I have the same amount of energy, I sleep AMAZINGLY, and haven't had any major side effects as others have mentioned. All good here!”

Sherrie · Taken for 10 years or more · June 24, 2019

For Obesity: “I have been on toparimate (Topamax) I take 200mg 2x a day. The only side effects I get is the tingling of the fingers, loss of appetite and weight loss I do not get no headaches which I love my stress level stays down and I sleep really good at night my 14 year old daughter loves it she says mom your more nicer and my 3 year old son is so much easier to cope with, From my personal experience I would keep a scale close by because it can cause rapid weight loss or it may not everyone is different it did for me I went from a 150 to 118 in 3 weeks on it. So to all who is taking a high dosage like myself 400mg a day be careful and keep a close eye on your weight. That high of a dose can also make you not want to eat for 2 or 3 days at a time there is times my husband has to make me eat something cause I am not hungry I will just drink coffee, juice, and water and that is it, so please just be careful.”

Elizabeth Bandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 3, 2021

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “I've been on topamax for a month today. I couldn't lose weight for anything. I was originally prescribed it for headaches, working great for the headache as well! I went back to my prescriber today, I've lost 8 pounds in a month on such a low dose so it works and it is absolutely awesome!”

Ac · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 4, 2019

For Obesity: “Ok so I've been taking topiramate 100mg for almost a year now, and I have to say this drug have been a lifesaver!!!! Less then five months on topiramate and I quit drinking and I've been sober now for almost a year! My eating disorder and bipolar are under control and I can honestly I've haven't been able to manage neither one in my life before. Heres another awesome thing... I've lost over 50lbs!! Bad thing's: numbness and tingling in hands and fingers, brain fog, carbonated drinks taste flat and when I up the dose my temper gets very short, but the temper part goes away in about 2 weeks. All and all I never want to stop this medicine its saved my life and help me better myself and better myself as a parent.”

Jo Jo 997 · September 13, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “I have been over weight and suffer from depression for over 20 years, I admit food was my best friend!!! After hysterectomy doctor put me on hormone replacement medicine, I was so hungry constantly , All I could think about was eating. Then my doctor put me on Topamax and I LOVE IT! I went from 252 lbs to now 167 lbs. From size 22 now size 10. I have to make myself eat, never hungry, and when I am eating I just try to eat slowly, and I do drink water now because even my favorite diet soda does taste terrible. I would tell everyone to try it!”

Stevo · Taken for less than 1 month · December 19, 2020

For Obesity: “I was given this for sleep. I had not even heard of the weight loss aspect of this drug. Tonight I was looking at my pills to plan my vacation. The name didn't look familiar to me so I looked it up. One of the side effects was weight loss. The funny thing is tonight some family members I had not seen for about 4 week came by and they both asked me how much I had lost. I had just put on a shirt that didn't fit me at all 1 month ago and it was baggy. I was really surprised it fit. So I thought I must have dropped weight. Tonight I got on the scale and I was down to 295 from 313 just 4 weeks ago. I had no idea why until I looked up this drug and then it made sense. I'm only on 25 mg tablets 1 per night. Now I'm looking forward to trying on all my old clothes tomorrow.”

sanub · Taken for less than 1 month · November 21, 2019

For Obesity: “I have started Topiramate three weeks ago on 25 mg for the first week then to 50mg the second week, 150mg the third week and today I am increasing the dose to 200 for the rest of my time on the med. The first week I started the med, I immediately started feeling full and that had never in my entire life had happened to me. I had always felt like I could eat at the fullest state, and now one small meal and a few glasses of water was just enough. In three weeks I have lost 8 lb, and that is considering I haven't changed anything in my diet, I haven't cut any carbs or sugar simply because I only eat once a day. Over all, there has been some tingling in my feet, which is so normal and at times I feel it but seeing the results makes me super happy so I will continue on using Toprimate.”

Holly T · Taken for 10 years or more · October 22, 2016

For Obesity: “I was prescribed Topamax many years ago... before they even offered a generic version and before they could legally prescribe it for obesity! So, my doctor prescribed it to me for migraines because I had a slight history of migraines but she said it would cause weight loss. Oh boy, did it! I was over 200lbs and in a size 18 pants, within 6 months I was in a size 8 pants! By the time a year rolled around, I was 103lbs and in a 00!!! No exercise! This is a wonder drug. I felt great! I had quit smoking, cut out all sugars and red meat, minimal alcohol. This medicine effects the addiction part of the brain as well as other areas. It's just amazing! I did warn my friends that I would forget sentences halfway thru; in 4 weeks no side effects.”

Robyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 27, 2018

For Obesity: “I started on 50 mg twice daily. I started at 177lb and it had been 2 months and 2 weeks today. Today I weigh 151 pounds and have gone from a size 11/12 to a size 7/8. While I went on this to treat migraines the weight loss has been a great side effect and was effortless. It did change some of my favorite food tastes and most carbonated drinks tastes 100% flat. BUT I DON'T CARE .”

Miracle1Lady · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 18, 2017

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “I weighed 230 pounds and felt like a cow.. I started off on 25 mg 1x a day and noticed no change. So asked doc to change me to 100 mg twice a day. I just take the 200mg at once. That's when I finally noticed a change. I've lost 45 pounds in 6 months! I'm continuing to lose and my goal weight is 160 since I'm tall so only 25 more pounds to go. I noticed at first pop tasted different but now it tastes fine. I used to love beer but now I don't want it..which is fine since it's so fattening lol. I only eat once or twice a day and the carb cravings are gone. I don't exercise much at all. I have no side effects at all. I'm so glad I found this medication it really has been a miracle. :)”

Becky · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 7, 2019

For Obesity: “I started at 50 mg a day My weight was 227lb 4 weeks I am down to 209lb Side effects were tingling in hands and feet. Not too bad snd have gotten better Soda tastes very flat ! Helps a lot with appetite Will continue to take and try to lose another 30 pounds”

Farouchette · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 3, 2013

For Obesity: “I have been on Topamax for around two months. I decided to go on them because I weighed around 105 kgs, I was feeling depressed and I couldn't stop binge eating. Through Topamax, I have lost 10 kgs in one month (that would be around 22 pounds). I feel so much better. My urge to binge eat is gone. I feel human again. I don't feel any side effects. I sleep better than before, I drink more water than before (as much as I should drink, before I didn't drink at all and had problems with my kidneys). When I first started topiramate, I got double vision. I read that this was a common side effect and saw my eye doctor about it. She said that it was because my vision improved a great deal. So, thank you Topamax, My health greatly improved.”

MsWilson · Taken for less than 1 month · August 12, 2019

For Obesity: “After 10 days of taking this medication I have lost 18 pounds, I take this for headaches as well. The side affects are dry mouth and confusion I sure hope they go away, but I will deal with them. I enjoy the relief from my headaches and the weight loss, I have 60 pounds to go ”

Chloe · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 10, 2020

For Obesity: “I can't seem to remember anything while taking this pill. I take 100 mg twice a day. Yes it is amazing loosing 2 pounds a day but it is creepy as anything not being able to have my memory and loosing my mind not remembering things.”

Anonymous · February 24, 2012

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content.”

momma3kitties · Taken for less than 1 month · March 21, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: “I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far.”

jackie french · March 19, 2015

For Obesity: “I am a African American woman with my natural hair. I have not experience any hair loss. I have been on topiramate for 10 days. I am taking 50 mg 1 pill only at night and I have lost 8 pounds so far. My doctor recommend I take 1 pill for 2 weeks before moving to 2 pills a day. I will probably stick with the one pill because I am losing the weight. I do exercise 5 days a week also so this helps. This pill alone is not going to work you need to get moving just a little. Treadmill 20 minutes is all I do. You can do it!!!! Good luck...”

Mizzjad · Taken for less than 1 month · November 8, 2014

For Obesity: “I've been taking 25mg daily for the past 5 days and already lost 3.8kg or 8.3lbs. It's also been acting as a great mood stabiliser which is awesome because I have bipolar and Seroquel alone wasn't doing enough. Very happy with Topamax so far.”

BRM · Taken for 10 years or more · March 8, 2020

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: “On Topamax for 15 years for migraine prevention. Has changed my life. After trying so many things for years and having the quality of my life being severely impacted by migraine, this wonder drug has lessened the pain and nausea from a 9 to a 1.”

Jojo · December 31, 2019

For Obesity: “I started topiramate for headaches due to head injuries. I was also overweight, at 290lbs. My neurologist started me on 50mg of topiramate and I lost 40 lbs. Awesome for weight loss, but the headaches are still there so I got upped to 100mg. Then I lost another 50lbs, I was so happy. But my headaches were not leaving me alone. So I got upped to 200mg and that's when everything stopped. It was done, and I have gained back the some of the weight that I had lost. Still on the 200mg but I'm not losing any weight.”