User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Seizures 6 reviews 48 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 3 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topiramate reviews 736 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Topiramate

For Migraine Prevention: "After reading all of the horrific side effects (hair loss being the big one for me) I decided to look up the rate of this side effect. The answer? 2% Take all the bad reviews with a grain of salt, knowing it's typically what drives a person to write a review in the first place. Onto the details I'm taking Topirimate 75mg for migraines (occipital neuralgia). I was instructed by my doctor to take my medication in the evening, that was a majority of the "foggy" feeling will be while I'm sleeping. I do notice I begin to start getting a little disoriented, but that's completely gone by morning. I stopped drinking since the risk of kidney stone is (slightly) higher. I make sure to drink more water, and Gatorade occasionally."

wakenfern3869 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Obesity: "Update from "Chickadee"- been on med for five weeks, down ten lbs without exercising. My eating habits have been better although this week They changed considerably for about four days, I ate a whole lot of rubbish but still managed to lose two pounds. I've been consistently losing two lbs a week and weigh myself every Monday. Still taking 50 mg at night..only noticeable side effects now are tingling in feet and hands intermittently, and fatigue at times otherwise nothing noticeable. I am thinking about increasing dosage. I would like to see quicker results but maybe I'm just being greedy. Two lbs a week is a safe, maintainable weight loss. Hope it keeps up. Currently at 230#"

MamaBee123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: "Diagnosed with fibro and CFS after car accident. Began to get vertigo, light and sound sensitivity on top of all the usual symptoms. They would stay for weeks. Found out eventually it was aurora of migraine. Topamax sorted me out. No more brain fog, vertigo, audio or photo sensitivity. The tiredness also lifted, I can stay awake all day but can't over do it. Pain still there though but I feel so normal after so many years of disfunction it's unbelievable. It's like someone unscrambled me!!! I'm on 175mg. 100mg in morning, 75mg in afternoon."

Áinej (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "Developed Aurora symptoms of migraine as part of diagnosis of fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue diagnosis as result of a car accident. Debilitating vertigo, light and noise sensitivity. Extreme cognitive disfunction and fatigue which were constant but the migraine came and went but would last for weeks. Eventually it just stayed and I felt like I was walking about drunk!! I was told there was nothing that could be done for me and this was part of my condition. I found topamax myself when I had reached the point where I had decided to end it all if this was it. Sad but true. Fortunately and happily I am a new women. My brain has been unscrambled! I can function again!No more hiding from the light or trying to remember why I started a sentence"

Áinej February 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder: "After 31 years of misery, countless amounts of medications and bad side effects, feeling completely hopeless, & like I would never be happy Topamax has already started to change my life. I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety/Panic, & Mood Disorder. Although it doesn't do a thing for my anxiety or panic the difference in my mood is like night and day. I can not believe how calm and patient I have become already taking this medication. It has saved my life & the people around me!!"

AnonymousJ1C2 February 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: "I was put on this medication for fibromyalgia and basilar type migraines by my neurologist in high school. I originally went off of it because I could not handle the side effects. I was then bullied by my mother & doctor into going back on to it because "it was my only option". I became face blind, could not navigate my way around even with a map, memory difficulties. issues doing simple math, became asexual & had no motivation to interact with people. Towards the end of my time on topamax I was so depressed that I would just sit despondently. I switched doctors and she immediately stopped it. The side effects went away after stopping the first time but after the 4yrs on it I still have some side effects that haven't completely gone away."

Headachpanda (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax Sprinkle (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "It got me pretty sick. I threw up alot and had lost alot of fluids."

Syntaru (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "This drug is horrible. Pros: yes, it destroys your appetite and you lose weight bc of that. You also don't enjoy food, which made me less inclined to want to cook for others (note: I am a foodie and love to cook). Cons: This drug did zero for my migraines. I take Amerge; works! I felt so foggy and "in and out" of ability the abilty to concentrate in the mornings (100mg nightly dosage). ok after 4 hrs. My mouth was literally so dry and my tongue so thick feeling, I could not get 3 syllable words out. Also, I had to grasp for words. I was losing confidence in my own performance and others commented on my lack of "snap." This was after a YEAR! Short term memory was shot, perhaps bc of "in and out" concentration. Hair! Had to get extensions!"

TMS2625 February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I take Topamax for my hemiplegic migraines, suppressed appetite is just an added bonus. I have noticed a tingle in my finger tips and cheeks on and off but it doesn't bother me enough to stop taking. My headaches are down from waking up with one everyday, to maybe one once a week and one migraine a month. I'm take 100 mg at night, I was tired for the first few weeks but built a tolerance to it. Carbonated beverages do taste flat to me now, I'm glad to read this has happened to others as well, I thought I was going crazy. Hoping now that I'm up to 100mg that I will begin to lose more weight, I have noticed a surpressed appetite, eating much less of my meals, and have less of a "sweet tooth" which is a big deal for me"

Chicky521 February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Obesity: "I had blown up from taking Lyrica..600mg daily for well over 2 years.. Weight went from 260 to 327, I had spinal injury. I told doctor I am tired of this weight and mostly all around my mid section and upper chest. He put me on topamax 25mg at bedtime for one week then up to 50mg at bedtime. OMG I lost so far 30 pounds in less than 3 months I went from 52 waist to 44 and still dropping fat like crazy. I just don't have desire to eat. All that food I was pigging out on..I totally stop drink pop it taste like metal, I am going to start walking around the block soon and exercise to really get back to my ideal weight of 235. Wish me luck. I see folks complain of tingling in fingers. I had that but I took a BC powder with Gatorade it worked"

Feel brand new February 8, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "When I first started topamax I couldn't notice the side effects except for the tingling in my hands, feet and face. I thought it would go away with time but here I am 2 years later and it is still happening. This medication also prevented my migraines at first, then I had to be put in the hospital for 5 days to get treatment about 6 months ago, and now they are back again. If you miss even one dose you get a whole new set of side effects as if you started the medicine that day! Before I took this medicine my hair was so thick, and I never really noticed the hair loss side effect until now because my hair is falling out in chunks. Topamax also caused me to get kidney stones and be hospitalized for a month. The only good thing is I lost 50lbs"

ge304 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "My experience with topiramate was quite positive in terms of migraine frequency. I did have trouble with anomia: the inability to find words, especially nouns. We in the healthcare field call it "Dopamax" due to the side effects of forgetting things and making you dopey . I lost my insurance and had to stop it abruptly, which is oh-so-wrong. It should be tapered. The enormous downside to this drug--even generic--it its outrageous cost. Needless to say, I am suffering as much as I was before having taken it. I was titrated up to 400 mg/day, which is the maximum does recommended. On the other hand, my memory has returned."

Neurogoddess February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "It worked, but the side effects were terrible, lasting and possibly permanent. The worst of the side effects I experienced were lack of taste and short-term memory loss. Over two years after taking this medication, I have still having issues with my short-term memory."

eparker726 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I was in a car accident with a head injury. I had intractable migraine and other headaches that came and went daily on top of that and three months after the accident my neurologist offered Topamax. It's been 9 months. I lost a lot of hair; I have the soda is flat thing; the pins and needles; and I have lost weight. I think the brain fog was not noticable because of the brain injury. It took care of my headaches immediately. I didn't mind the side effects. I ran out of it once and on day two had a seizure. I tried to titrate off recently and the migraine returned with a vengeance so I am still going to be taking it. I don't mind the side effects in comparison to the headache. Also-I use hypnosis for some of the side effects."

Serenitynemememe February 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I had been taking Topamax for a year, but have just taken myself off due to excessive hair loss, loss of concentration and memory, and sleep problems. My hair was falling out by the handfuls every day, and the concentration and memory loss were preventing me from working as I am a translator. I have been on propranolol 160 mg daily for 2 years now, and have had good results from that with not too many side effects. I take rizatriptan when I do get a migraine and it stops it usually. If it doesn't I take Fioricet as well and that works."

Annabelleblue February 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "The topamax worked great for my migraines, the bad part is that it causes kidney stones."

Jamcc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Obesity: "Lost 50 pounds"

Teresa from boston (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I would get headaches all the time to the point I was not a functioning human being. I'm 26 and the past few years they gotten more frequent more painful and more uncontrollable. My doctor recommended topiramate and after a few trials of different mg it's a game changer. I honestly never get headaches anymore and had not a single side effect from this medication (which I was concerned about). It really does help and gave me a feeling of normalcy back in my life."

Sara S January 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had a cluster headache and chronic migraine for 6 months with no relief what so ever and I just started taking this medication, and on day one it made my headache 100x worse and my nausea was so bad I was vomiting, by day 3 (yesterday) I was barely able to concentrate on anything or move because of my pain. Immediately stopped taking it."

Miawiththeheadaches January 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: "Miracle drug! The side effects can be daunting at first, like tingling/numbness in extremities that won't stop for hours, but if you increase your water intake substantially and power through, it's totally worth it. My daily tension headaches are 90% gone, which is huge for me. It didn't do much in terms of overall muscle pain reduction or the daily body aches, but I did lose over 30 pounds in four months. I stopped drinking all carbonated drinks (because it makes them all taste super flat weirdly) and definitely am not as hungry as I used to be, so that's just a bonus."

Lynn Y. January 27, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Obesity: "Started ten days ago. First night, I passed out.. very tired... next few days in a deep fog and a bit disconnected. I no longer have those side effects. Dr has me at 50 mg once daily and I take it in the evening. I literally eat half of what I previously did. I lost about three pounds over the course of a week..no excercise involved. Im not counting calories; just not interested in junk food. I read a poster on another forum to take extra B complex and Biotin to avoid any hair loss as the drug seems to deplete that nutrient in the body. Will post again in another few weeks with more information. I was at the point where I was considering surgery because I had tried everything."

ChickieDee (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizures: "I started taking this medication as soon as I was diagnosed with an inherited seizure disorder. Although I haven't had a seizure ever since I began to take the medication (which is good because the meds are working) the side effects were horrible. I would often feel very disoriented and saw a great amount of weight loss. This may not apply to everyone because everyone is different, but that was my experience with this medication."

nathalie2697 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I was in a car accident in august and had severe Migraines and was placed on brand name Topamax. I started off with 25 mg, now I am up to 300 mg. I feel great no side effects of this drug. Migraines gone, I feel like a human again, and I did experience weight loss, a healthy amount. I did not lose my appetite nor did I experience a bad taste with certain foods. I recommend this drug."

Melissa McCloud2 January 19, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been on Topiramate for just over a year. I have suffered from migraines for more than 30 years and have been on Imatrix and Relpax before. Topiramate was awesome, at first. It reduced the frequency of migraines and kept things really under control. I lost approx. 20 lbs within 4 months of being on the drug (my normal weight is approx. 140 lbs) hadn't been down to 120lbs since high school so was feeling pretty good about myself. I did have some minor side affects like blurred vision and tingling in my hands that spread to my feet but this was worth not having migraines. More serious problems arose, however, after being on the drug 10-11 months when I developed kidney problems-stones and infections in both kidneys. Warning!"

TRexA (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Topamax (topiramate) for Bulimia: "Update: this is an update to the previous review, see below. I have been on topiramate and 20 mg prozac since 3 plus years now. I have been tapering on and off all meds and have to say the combo 20 mg prozac with 100 mg topiramate twice daily does work best. It is not perfect, but I am better. Since I am still quite symptomatic I will have an upcoming visit yet another psychiater who is screening ,me for adult add. There is a possibility that if this is the case a stimulant might actually help me out (after 35 years of treatment refractory anorexia and bulimia nervosa). I keep updated."

Ms treatment resistant (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017