User Reviews for Topiramate to treat Obesity

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR

Topiramate has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 178 ratings for the treatment of Obesity. 66% of those users who reviewed Topiramate reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topiramate

Elizabeth Bandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2021

Topamax (topiramate): “I've been on topamax for a month today. I couldn't lose weight for anything. I was originally prescribed it for headaches, working great for the headache as well! I went back to my prescriber today, I've lost 8 pounds in a month on such a low dose so it works and it is absolutely awesome!”

Phishsam · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2021

Topamax (topiramate): “I took a low dose for almost two weeks, I lost my vision the headache the pain around my eyes went immediately to a optometrist and my pressure around both eyes were 56 I was vomiting and passed out they worked on me for 5-6 hours to bring the pressure down, I had acute glaucoma in both eyes that is rare. Topamax says as a side effect could cause blindness and it’s true I still go to the doctor to monitor my eye sight to make sure the pressure is still coming down. DO NOT TAKE THESE MEDS VERY DANGEROUS.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

“Ever since I gave birth to my son I haven’t been able to lose the weight I gained during the pregnancy. I got pregnant at about 125 pounds, and had him around 185/190, I then got down to 155lb, and now I am currently 188. I finally decided to try to lose the weight and had no luck. tried every diet, drink, exercise program. I workout, diet and eat clean. I’m 5’5 and 22 years old. I was always a small person so this is pretty difficult for me. I’ve been on topamax for a few days now. I take 100 mg twice a day, once in the evening and in the morning. It makes things pretty foggy, I don’t feel comfortable driving, I get full very quick and don’t want to eat really. I’m constantly thirsty and my mouth is really tingly as well as my fingers and feet. I’m assuming most side effects will calm down in a few weeks. I’m willing to take it till the weight comes off. My doctor expects to see a minimum of 20 pounds gone in three months. I’ll update in a month.”

Sunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2019

Topamax (topiramate): “I was prescribed Topamax for migraine headaches and weight loss. Being on Depakote, my weight had shot up 25 pounds with no end in sight. I was even craving sweets, which I had never done. After two days of Topamax, my appetite decreased noticeably. After a week, I had lost 7 pounds. By the time I had been on it for a month, I was down to 125 and still not hungry. Eating became something I thought I should do instead of something I HAD to do. When my weight dropped to 118, I stopped the Topamax, thinking, if I start to gain weight I’ll take it again. It’s been six years since I’ve taken Topamax and I weigh 130; 20.4 BMI. The results seem to last. I’m not sure it worked for my migraines, but it’s awesome for weight loss!”

Twin · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2020

“I have been prescribed Topamax 25 at bed time due to over eating and sleepless nights associated with depression and medication weight gain. I have been on it for two days now and the cravings are still strong as ever. How long does it unusually take for it to kick in?”

Margie · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

“Topiramate is a miracle medication! A godsend for losing weight! I have only had to be on a dose of 25mg topiramate a day and it has hugely reduced my appetite so that I've been eating very small portions, and only wanted to eat healthy food, and I haven't been thinking about food all the time like I use to. I used to binge eat three times a day incredibly unhealthy and have unhealthy snacks like chocolate brownies, and spent around $90 a day on Ubereats. On topiramate I'm rapidly losing weight. I was told by my psychiatrist that I'd start on 25mg, after one week move up to 50mg then after another week go up to 100mg, and she told me all about the side effects especially memory loss. I haven't had any side-effects! Perhaps because I've only needed to be on 25mg! Plus, in Australia it's extremely inexpensive. This medication has been incredible and life-changing. I wish I'd found it years ago!”

Happy Camper · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): “I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!”

Migraine - Weight Loss a Plus! · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2014

“Before Topamax I used to suffer from chronic migraines I mean 3-4 migraines a week. Been on Topamax for nearly 3 weeks, day one 25mg instant appetite suppressant loss 18.7lbs in 2wks! Inches everywhere, food taste good just eat very little of i.t I'm never ever hungry but I enjoy cooking! I have energy, not bogged down with lots of medicines anymore and not one full migraine! I'm excited to lose weight it's actually very easy to eat healthy. Its all you crave and I was a sweet addict. No ugly side effects as described, not on this dosage. So I hope this has helped someone.”

Sherrie · Taken for 10 years or more June 24, 2019

“I have been on toparimate (Topamax) I take 200mg 2x a day. The only side effects I get is the tingling of the fingers, loss of appetite and weight loss I do not get no headaches which I love my stress level stays down and I sleep really good at night my 14 year old daughter loves it she says mom your more nicer and my 3 year old son is so much easier to cope with, From my personal experience I would keep a scale close by because it can cause rapid weight loss or it may not everyone is different it did for me I went from a 150 to 118 in 3 weeks on it. So to all who is taking a high dosage like myself 400mg a day be careful and keep a close eye on your weight. That high of a dose can also make you not want to eat for 2 or 3 days at a time there is times my husband has to make me eat something cause I am not hungry I will just drink coffee, juice, and water and that is it, so please just be careful.”

Stevo · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2020

“I was given this for sleep. I had not even heard of the weight loss aspect of this drug. Tonight I was looking at my pills to plan my vacation. The name didn't look familiar to me so I looked it up. One of the side effects was weight loss. The funny thing is tonight some family members I had not seen for about 4 week came by and they both asked me how much I had lost. I had just put on a shirt that didn't fit me at all 1 month ago and it was baggy. I was really surprised it fit. So I thought I must have dropped weight. Tonight I got on the scale and I was down to 295 from 313 just 4 weeks ago. I had no idea why until I looked up this drug and then it made sense. I'm only on 25 mg tablets 1 per night. Now I'm looking forward to trying on all my old clothes tomorrow.”

LovelyNi · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2014

“I have been on Topiramate 25mg for 1 week to be exact and have lost 8lbs as of this morning. I feel this has been my savior. I have always been healthy (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no High Cholesterol) however I've always been obese and worked towards trying to rid myself of the weight in efforts to prevent myself from getting those diseases in the future. This has given me the kick start I need. It reduced my cravings for sweets and carbs as well as suppressed my appetite. I do eat 3 meals a day (or at least I try to when I can remember) but for the most part, I have the same amount of energy, I sleep AMAZINGLY, and haven't had any major side effects as others have mentioned. All good here!”

Ac · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2019

“Ok so I've been taking topiramate 100mg for almost a year now, and I have to say this drug have been a lifesaver!!!! Less then five months on topiramate and I quit drinking and I've been sober now for almost a year! My eating disorder and bipolar are under control and I can honestly I've haven't been able to manage neither one in my life before. Heres another awesome thing... I've lost over 50lbs!! Bad thing's: numbness and tingling in hands and fingers, brain fog, carbonated drinks taste flat and when I up the dose my temper gets very short, but the temper part goes away in about 2 weeks. All and all I never want to stop this medicine its saved my life and help me better myself and better myself as a parent.”

sanub · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“I have started Topiramate three weeks ago on 25 mg for the first week then to 50mg the second week, 150mg the third week and today I am increasing the dose to 200 for the rest of my time on the med. The first week I started the med, I immediately started feeling full and that had never in my entire life had happened to me. I had always felt like I could eat at the fullest state, and now one small meal and a few glasses of water was just enough. In three weeks I have lost 8 lb, and that is considering I haven't changed anything in my diet, I haven't cut any carbs or sugar simply because I only eat once a day. Over all, there has been some tingling in my feet, which is so normal and at times I feel it but seeing the results makes me super happy so I will continue on using Toprimate.”

Chloe · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

“I can't seem to remember anything while taking this pill. I take 100 mg twice a day. Yes it is amazing loosing 2 pounds a day but it is creepy as anything not being able to have my memory and loosing my mind not remembering things.”

Becky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

“I started at 50 mg a day My weight was 227lb 4 weeks I am down to 209lb Side effects were tingling in hands and feet. Not too bad snd have gotten better Soda tastes very flat ! Helps a lot with appetite Will continue to take and try to lose another 30 pounds”

MsWilson · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

“After 10 days of taking this medication I have lost 18 pounds, I take this for headaches as well. The side affects are dry mouth and confusion I sure hope they go away, but I will deal with them. I enjoy the relief from my headaches and the weight loss, I have 60 pounds to go ”

Robyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2018

“I started on 50 mg twice daily. I started at 177lb and it had been 2 months and 2 weeks today. Today I weigh 151 pounds and have gone from a size 11/12 to a size 7/8. While I went on this to treat migraines the weight loss has been a great side effect and was effortless. It did change some of my favorite food tastes and most carbonated drinks tastes 100% flat. BUT I DON'T CARE .”

Jojo December 31, 2019

“I started topiramate for headaches due to head injuries. I was also overweight, at 290lbs. My neurologist started me on 50mg of topiramate and I lost 40 lbs. Awesome for weight loss, but the headaches are still there so I got upped to 100mg. Then I lost another 50lbs, I was so happy. But my headaches were not leaving me alone. So I got upped to 200mg and that's when everything stopped. It was done, and I have gained back the some of the weight that I had lost. Still on the 200mg but I'm not losing any weight.”

Anonymous November 5, 2019

“I’m just starting topamax for weight loss after a 60 pound weight gain from abilify! My current dose is 25 mg in the am and 25 mg in the pm. So far so good! No serious side effects ! I already feel my appetite starting to decrease. I have yet to weigh myself, but I think I feel a bit of a difference. I’ll post an update later.”

Holly T · Taken for 10 years or more October 22, 2016

“I was prescribed Topamax many years ago... before they even offered a generic version and before they could legally prescribe it for obesity! So, my doctor prescribed it to me for migraines because I had a slight history of migraines but she said it would cause weight loss. Oh boy, did it! I was over 200lbs and in a size 18 pants, within 6 months I was in a size 8 pants! By the time a year rolled around, I was 103lbs and in a 00!!! No exercise! This is a wonder drug. I felt great! I had quit smoking, cut out all sugars and red meat, minimal alcohol. This medicine effects the addiction part of the brain as well as other areas. It's just amazing! I did warn my friends that I would forget sentences halfway thru; in 4 weeks no side effects.”

Jo Jo 997 September 13, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): “I have been over weight and suffer from depression for over 20 years, I admit food was my best friend!!! After hysterectomy doctor put me on hormone replacement medicine, I was so hungry constantly , All I could think about was eating. Then my doctor put me on Topamax and I LOVE IT! I went from 252 lbs to now 167 lbs. From size 22 now size 10. I have to make myself eat, never hungry, and when I am eating I just try to eat slowly, and I do drink water now because even my favorite diet soda does taste terrible. I would tell everyone to try it!”

Farouchette · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2013

“I have been on Topamax for around two months. I decided to go on them because I weighed around 105 kgs, I was feeling depressed and I couldn't stop binge eating. Through Topamax, I have lost 10 kgs in one month (that would be around 22 pounds). I feel so much better. My urge to binge eat is gone. I feel human again. I don't feel any side effects. I sleep better than before, I drink more water than before (as much as I should drink, before I didn't drink at all and had problems with my kidneys). When I first started topiramate, I got double vision. I read that this was a common side effect and saw my eye doctor about it. She said that it was because my vision improved a great deal. So, thank you Topamax, My health greatly improved.”

Anonymous February 24, 2012

Topamax (topiramate): “Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content.”

Miracle1Lady · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2017

Topamax (topiramate): “I weighed 230 pounds and felt like a cow.. I started off on 25 mg 1x a day and noticed no change. So asked doc to change me to 100 mg twice a day. I just take the 200mg at once. That's when I finally noticed a change. I've lost 45 pounds in 6 months! I'm continuing to lose and my goal weight is 160 since I'm tall so only 25 more pounds to go. I noticed at first pop tasted different but now it tastes fine. I used to love beer but now I don't want it..which is fine since it's so fattening lol. I only eat once or twice a day and the carb cravings are gone. I don't exercise much at all. I have no side effects at all. I'm so glad I found this medication it really has been a miracle. :)”

Mizzjad · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2014

“I've been taking 25mg daily for the past 5 days and already lost 3.8kg or 8.3lbs. It's also been acting as a great mood stabiliser which is awesome because I have bipolar and Seroquel alone wasn't doing enough. Very happy with Topamax so far.”

EmmJay · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2021

“I was just prescribed generic topamax, 100mg a day. I asked for Adipex but dr wants my blood pressure lower so she prescribed this. Today is only my first day so I decided to research. Reading these stories has me both excited and anxious. I am a recovering heroin addict. When I got clean and started methadone I gained about 60-70 pounds and am having a hard time taking it off since I still take 30mg of methadone daily. I work out anywhere from 1-5 days a week, depending on my schedule. I'm worried about the tiredness some people have experienced, because I do love to work-out. Also afraid of losing the ability to recall words, as speaking and grammar are my strong points. I guess we'll see. I plan on getting on Adipex as soon as my dr says it's safe to do so. I will update. My starting weight today is 225lbs and I am 5'5. Wish me luck!”

jackie french March 19, 2015

“I am a African American woman with my natural hair. I have not experience any hair loss. I have been on topiramate for 10 days. I am taking 50 mg 1 pill only at night and I have lost 8 pounds so far. My doctor recommend I take 1 pill for 2 weeks before moving to 2 pills a day. I will probably stick with the one pill because I am losing the weight. I do exercise 5 days a week also so this helps. This pill alone is not going to work you need to get moving just a little. Treadmill 20 minutes is all I do. You can do it!!!! Good luck...”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

Topamax (topiramate): “I’ve taken this medicine Topamax two separate times. The first time it helped me lose weight and I didn’t have many side effects but went off of it once I got in a serious relationship and heard it can make birth control less effective. However, two years after I got off of it I went back on it because of my binge eating disorder and it was horrible. This time I had side effects I was losing feeling in my hands and feet. My face would go numb. It didn’t really help with appetite. And it started to impact my memory. I almost immediately went off of it. And I’m still experiencing memory issues. I’ll be talking and can’t remember words in the middle of a sentence. Or I’ll tell someone something and then a couple of minutes repeat it because I forgot if I said it or not. Keep in mind I’m 21 and shouldn’t be having memory issues like this. I don’t recommend it...”