What is topiramate used to treat?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Jan 22, 2021.
- Topiramate is a prescription medication, taken alone or with other drugs to control certain types of seizures due to epilepsy and for the prevention of migraine headaches. Topiramate will not stop a migraine once it has started.
- Topiramate is used for the treatment of partial-onset seizures, primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures, and seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.
- It is also frequently prescribed "off-label" for other uses such as alcohol dependence, but this use is not approved by the FDA.
Topiramate is classified as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor anticonvulsant. Experts think it works by quieting excessive nerve activity in the brain and central nervous system, increasing the actions of GABA, and blocking the effects of other chemical messengers (neurotransmitters).
What strengths does topiramate come in?
Topiramate is available in several strengths, dosage forms and brand names:
- Generic topiramate is available as a tablet (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg) capsule (15 mg, 25 mg), or extended-release capsule (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg). Generic extended-release capsules (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg and 200 mg) are available.
- Topamax is available as a tablet (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg) or capsule (15 mg, 25 mg) and is approved to control seizures and for migraine prevention. Generic options are approved. Topamax Sprinkle capsules have been discontinued.
- Trokendi XR is available as an extended-release capsule (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg) and is used to help control certain types of seizures in adults and children who are at least 6 years old. It is also approved to prevent migraine headaches in adults and adolescents who are at least 12 years old. It can be taken once a day.
- Qudexy XR comes as an extended-release capsule (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg and 200 mg) and is used alone or with other medicines to control certain types of seizures in patients 2 years and older and to help prevent migraine headaches in people 12 years and older. Qudexy XR capsules may be swallowed whole or opened and sprinkled on a spoonful of soft food. Qudexy XR is available as a generic option.
This is not all the information you need to know about topiramate for safe and effective use. Review the full topiramate information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Topiramate. Drugs@FDA: FDA-Approved Drugs. Accessed Jan. 22, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/index.cfm
- Topiramate [product monograph]. Drugs.com. Accessed Jan. 22, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/mtm/topiramate.html
Related Medical Questions
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- Topiramate Information for Consumers
- Topiramate Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Topiramate (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Topiramate (33 questions, 233 members)