How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
- Trokendi XR (topiramate) extended-release capsules may lead to weight loss when used for prevention of migraine headaches or seizures, but it is not approved as a weight loss medicine. Weight loss has been reported in 6% to 17% of patients in topiramate studies and may worsen as doses are increased.
- Loss of appetite (anorexia), which may contribute to weight loss, has also been reported in topiramate immediate-release studies in both children and adults.
- Topiramate is linked with many other digestive side effects, including nausea, stomach pain, and taste perversion, which may impact appetite or weight loss.
Trokendi XR (topiramate) extended-release capsules are approved by the FDA for the preventive treatment of migraine headaches in patients 12 years and older and for seizure control in certain forms of epilepsy in patients 6 years of age and older. Immediate-release topiramate (Topamax) has been shown in studies to lead to weight loss as a side effect when used for both seizure control and migraine prevention.
Trokendi XR has not been studied in Phase 3 clinical studies, but the manufacturer states it is expected that it would produce a similar side effect profile as immediate-release topiramate.
In studies with immediate-release topiramate, weight loss was reported in both children and adults. In general, weight loss may occur in 6% to 17% of patients, and may worsen as doses are increased. Weight loss and loss of appetite (anorexia) were two of the most commonly reported side effects.
Related: Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- The brand name for immediate-release topiramate available in the U.S. is Topamax. Brands names for extended-release medicines are Trokendi XR and Qudexy XR.
- Generic options are available for Topamax and Qudexy XR, but usage and dosage forms may differ among products.
- Topamax Sprinkle has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
Is topiramate approved for weight loss?
Topiramate, typically used for seizures and migraine prevention, is available in an extended-release capsule known as Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate) that is approved for weight loss. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant (anorexiant) with properties similar to the amphetamine drug class. It is classified as a schedule 4 controlled substance by the DEA.
Qsymia is used along with diet and exercise to treat people who are either obese, or overweight with other risk factors like high blood pressure, high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes.
This is not all the information you need to know about Trokendi XR (topiramate extended-release) XR for safe and effective use. Review the full Trokendi XR information here, and discuss this and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Trokendi XR (topiramate) extended-release. [product information]. Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Rockville, Maryland. Accessed Feb. 12, 2021 at https://www.trokendixr.com/assets/TrokendiXRPrescribingInformation.pdf
- Topamax (topiramate) immediate-release. Professional FDA Package Insert. Drugs.com. Accessed Feb. 12, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/topamax.html
- Qysmia [product monograph]. Drugs.com. Accessed Jan 29, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/qsymia.html
Related medical questions
- Can antidepressants be used for arthritis pain?
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- Does topiramate cause hair loss?
- How long do you stay on Topamax for migraines?
- How long does it take for Topamax to start working?
- How long does Topamax stay in your system?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- What is topiramate used to treat?
- When is the best time of day to take Trokendi XR?
- How fast does Trokendi XR work for migraines?
- What not to take with topiramate?
Related support groups
- Topiramate (50 questions, 257 members)
- Trokendi XR (7 questions, 11 members)
- Weight Loss (Obesity/Overweight) (732 questions, 1,459 members)
- Migraine (277 questions, 1,615 members)
- Migraine Prevention (119 questions, 333 members)
- Migraine Prophylaxis (66 questions, 82 members)
- Seizures (145 questions, 781 members)
- Seizure Prevention (46 questions, 137 members)
- Epilepsy (84 questions, 398 members)
- Seizure Prophylaxis (20 questions, 25 members)
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (12 questions, 9 members)