How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Feb 12, 2021.
- Trokendi XR (topiramate) extended-release capsules may lead to weight loss when used for prevention of migraine headaches or seizures, but it is not approved as a weight loss medicine. Weight loss has been reported in 6% to 17% of patients in topiramate studies and may worsen as doses are increased.
- Loss of appetite (anorexia), which may contribute to weight loss, has also been reported in topiramate immediate-release studies in both children and adults.
- Topiramate is linked with many other digestive side effects, including nausea, stomach pain, and taste perversion, which may impact appetite or weight loss.
Trokendi XR (topiramate) extended-release capsules are approved by the FDA for the preventive treatment of migraine headaches in patients 12 years and older and for seizure control in certain forms of epilepsy in patients 6 years of age and older. Immediate-release topiramate (Topamax) has been shown in studies to lead to weight loss as a side effect when used for both seizure control and migraine prevention.
Trokendi XR has not been studied in Phase 3 clinical studies, but the manufacturer states it is expected that it would produce a similar side effect profile as immediate-release topiramate.
In studies with immediate-release topiramate, weight loss was reported in both children and adults. In general, weight loss may occur in 6% to 17% of patients, and may worsen as doses are increased. Weight loss and loss of appetite (anorexia) were two of the most commonly reported side effects.
Related: Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- The brand name for immediate-release topiramate available in the U.S. is Topamax. Brands names for extended-release medicines are Trokendi XR and Qudexy XR.
- Generic options are available for Topamax and Qudexy XR, but usage and dosage forms may differ among products.
- Topamax Sprinkle has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
Is topiramate approved for weight loss?
Topiramate, typically used for seizures and migraine prevention, is available in an extended-release capsule known as Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate) that is approved for weight loss. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant (anorexiant) with properties similar to the amphetamine drug class. It is classified as a schedule 4 controlled substance by the DEA.
Qsymia is used along with diet and exercise to treat people who are either obese, or overweight with other risk factors like high blood pressure, high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes.
This is not all the information you need to know about Trokendi XR (topiramate extended-release) XR for safe and effective use. Review the full Trokendi XR information here, and discuss this and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Trokendi XR (topiramate) extended-release. [product information]. Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Rockville, Maryland. Accessed Feb. 12, 2021 at https://www.trokendixr.com/assets/TrokendiXRPrescribingInformation.pdf
- Topamax (topiramate) immediate-release. Professional FDA Package Insert. Drugs.com. Accessed Feb. 12, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/topamax.html
- Qysmia [product monograph]. Drugs.com. Accessed Jan 29, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/qsymia.html
Related Medical Questions
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- What is topiramate used to treat?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- Does Trokendi XR cause hair loss?
- Lyrica vs Gabapentin: What's the difference?
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits?
- Can you stop taking Topamax suddenly?
- Is Topamax a controlled substance?
- What is the difference between Briviact and Keppra?
- CBD vs THC vs Cannabis: What's the difference between them?
- Does Epidiolex contain marijuana?
- What type of drug is Epidiolex?
- What is the difference between Sympazan and Onfi?
- What type of epilepsy is Diacomit used to treat?
- How is the drug Spritam made?
- How do you calculate the dosage for Carnexiv?
Related Support Groups
- Topiramate (33 questions, 233 members)
- Trokendi XR (5 questions, 10 members)
- Epilepsy (48 questions, 375 members)
- Seizure Prevention (34 questions, 134 members)
- Migraine Prevention (76 questions, 304 members)
- Seizure Prophylaxis (15 questions, 22 members)
- Seizures (101 questions, 740 members)
- Migraine (181 questions, 1530 members)
- Migraine Prophylaxis (36 questions, 72 members)
- Weight Loss (175 questions, 717 members)
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (8 questions, 6 members)
- Anorexia (8 questions, 55 members)