User Reviews for Topamax

Smoking Cessation 5.0
Summary of Topamax reviews 6.3 497 reviews

Reviews for Topamax

Rln122801 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I have been taking Topamax a long time. I was taking 200mg but I was having memory issues so I asked my doctor if I could try 175 mg and she agreed. It has worked much better. I was taking it all in the morning and I was so tired in the day. I read on here that someone suggested taking half in the am and half in the afternoon. I started that 2 weeks ago and it has made a huge difference my energy level. I use to stay in bed most of the day. Now I bake and do crafts with my kids.”

Ron · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2020

For Seizures: “I took this med Topamax years ago about 2003 for seizures,(thats what it was made and intended for years ago ,migraine was an off label use) I didn't have hardly any noticeable side effects but was changed to another seizure med after around a year.”

GB · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2020

For Smoking Cessation: “I was prescribed Topamax for migraines, but because this drug treats so many conditions, it had several unintended benefits. I've been on it now for about 2 months and have cut my vaping in half, lost about 2 inches from my waist, and reduced nerve pain caused by neuropathy in my legs. It actually does better for these conditions I have than for migraines, but does help with them as well. There are some nasty side effects in the first few weeks, so keep that in mind if you are prescribed this med for any reason, they should dissipate with time. I call it the do-all-drug because there are about a dozen off label uses for it. I enjoy vaping and wasn't happy, but it is saving me money! For smoking, the main study shows that about 40% are able to abstain for over 2 years. I smoked for 25 years before vaping the last 10, and it is very effective in curbing my cravings, even giving me a sense of aversion to the vaping experience.”

Giggles · Taken for 10 years or more March 25, 2020

For Seizure Prevention: “Topamax controlled my grandmals seizures, but I still have my other seizures every month”

Erin Gibson March 9, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Topamax ruined my life! Kaiser put me on it until my Psychologist said “get off of it if it’s not working” after I told her I had been on it for over a year! This medication caused tingling in my hands, feet ,face and caused me to see people’s faces in distorted ways like a horror film! My headaches are caused from a 2cm round tumor in my left temporal lobe near my cortex at the Hippicampos Hypathalamus, it causes light seizures and horrible right side brain headaches! Even though neurologists say it’s not connected, I know from reasearch it is connected and no one is helping me deal with the horrific debilitating headaches!So when Kaiser said “try Topamax”I said sure why not!I lost 2 years of my life with my son who was a jr in highschool, it’s a miracle my husband of 25 years stayed married to me ! Topamax ruined 2 years of my life ”

BRM · Taken for 10 years or more March 8, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “On Topamax for 15 years for migraine prevention. Has changed my life. After trying so many things for years and having the quality of my life being severely impacted by migraine, this wonder drug has lessened the pain and nausea from a 9 to a 1.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Had chronic migraines and was prescribed this medication. At first I had no migraines or headaches but then it got worse. I urge you to not take this medication If you have an alternative. It created a barrier in my conversations. I couldn’t comprehend what people were saying, had trouble creating responses and felt like I was drugged up all the time.”

Little Miss Head Ache · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Having thought I was suffering from every ailment under the sun, I discovered it was actually side effects of these tablets. Breast pain, confusion, exhaustion, tingling sensation in finger's and feet, inability to string a sentence together, irritability, anxiety, depression, shortness of breath, heavy limbs. Unfortunately, I am clearly not suited to these tablets. Although, on a positive note, they have stopped my migraine's. I'm currently weaning myself off of them, from 75mg, 25mg... I've just been prescribed some High Strength B2, to start at 200mg per day, to increase to 400mg. In the light of these not suiting me, next will be Amitripyline.”

Saram21 February 15, 2020

For Seizure Prevention: “After weaning off the old med and onto the Topamax he was taking (1000mg twice daily) he is a tall skinny guy but at 6’5 weighs around 190-195. He was on the prescription for 6 months. .shouldn’t you request to see him sooner considering how significant his med switch was? He dropped down to 160 pounds , but still had small episodes. He was desperate to make them work and overall wasn’t sure when to actually call the doctor with issues because he didn’t want to be a bother. Problem is these meds weren’t prescribed very well and he just threw him on them without having baseline tests (blood, recent MRI) etc to base his switch on. He has now been switched again to the acid one as well as cepra (sorry spelling I’m not sure) but this is the fourth medication he’s been on, But yes the topomax isn’t great for already thin people, and also the side affects heavily affected his speech and ability to think clearly (he sounded drunk half hour after taking them)”

JJ February 14, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Was put on it to help cutdown on my migraines. Made me want to sleep, dry mouth and made my stomach really upset. Barely made it to the bathroom and one time didn't. Seem help help with my migraines?”

Tope is dope · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “On Topamax since 06' for migraines which is works, lost weight, works for that too, 200mg @AM and 300mg @pm now to manage. Only side effects are minimal. I can tell you that the weight loss comes to an end and you will have better luck with diet and exercise. Even on this med I have, because if you don't change your lifestyle and eating habits, when that weight loss stops, you just gain it all back. That's why weight gain is a side effect too. Just do the right way to begin with. You will be happier and healthier.”

Midge January 19, 2020

For Obesity: “I was put on Lyrica and Gabapentin after I went through a bout with Ovarian cancer. I ended up with severe neuropathy in hands and feet. Anyway... also going back to 1994 I injured my back at work and at the time I weighed 98 lbs. I am only 5 ft. tall. So I see a pain dr. every month for pain. The first meds I mentioned famously add a lot of weight to your body which I did not know. I gained 40 lbs. which I have not been able to remove from my body until maybe now. My wonderful pain dr. has prescribed topiramate for me and we will see what happens. Maybe less pain and a nicer body.”

Partially blind January 16, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “On Topamax and 6 years ago I had what I thought was a seizure and spots in my right eye. The spots NEVER went away. Other symptoms of this horrible drug-ITCHING, SEIZURES, HAIR LOSS, EXTREME HOT FLASHES, EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS, my doctor never, ever cared about any of it. I quit this awful drug in October, 2016. Had a minor stroke shortly after. Do not take this drug if you want to stay healthy and keep your eye sight. I filed a complaint with the FDA and of course they didn’t care either. This drug is a result of greedy drug companies and FDA being lobbied to allow such a destructive drug. Doctors don’t care either. They all just keep making their money while patients end up with permanent damage that CANNOT be fixed.”

KD · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “I was put on Topamax (Brand name) in 2007 as I was having migraine headaches 5 and 6 times a month at a minimum (not just bothersome "headaches" but full on pain with severe vomiting and preventing me from going to work). At the time my insurance covered it and my copay was $10 a month. The only bad side effect I experienced was the tingling in my feet (sometimes severe) but it was worth it considering I went down to 1 migraine the first year I was on it. I called it my miracle drug (and I lost 30lbs!) It gave me life back.. and then it came off the insurance company's formulary and went from $10 to $60 a month. As a newly divorced mom I was unable to afford that but I was able to move to the generic Topiramate - which only became a nightmare and I now have lifelong issues (separate review for it).”

Halbaley · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “On this medication to prevent migraines. It works like a charm. I had migraines almost daily and now I only have them the day before my period starts. I have not had the weight loss side effect people talk about though.”

Ladybug November 12, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “I am 24 years old and I've had terrible migraine headaches since I was in high school. I've been on Topamax for 3 months and only taking 50mg a day since it can lessen the effect of my birth control and I don't want to highten the side affects. This has also been good enough to where I'm not getting migraine/tension headaches everyday like I used to (it was making my life miserable). I get them sometimes once a week now. My side effects from Topamax are I used to have some hand/feet tingling but it went away after I got used to the medication, it does make soda does taste flat, and I sometimes I forget words - but it's kind of how I am anyway. So far this has worked well for me and hasn't caused me any problems.”

mnpossum November 12, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “I took 50mg topamax daily for migraines. 6 months into it I started noticing increasing hair loss and looked for answers including having both hormones and thyroid checked. I reread the included drug information several times and found nothing about hair loss. At the point I had lost 1/2 my hair I finally Googled Topamax hair loss and found it is a side effect of topamax. Also during this time I had extensive testing trying to find out why I was having increased period pain and both my Dr and I missed that this IS listed as a side effect. I stopped the medication 6 weeks ago because of the hair loss but also putting on hold additional procedures considered for dealing with the menstrual pain as there is a good probability this was also caused by the Topamax. 2 stars that I give the drug are only because of the "bonus" side effect of the weight loss, which was the ONLY hesitation that I had about stopping taking it, and the nominal reduction in the number of migraines I was experiencing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2019

“I love Topamax. It helps my mood and racing thoughts.”

Sunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2019

For Obesity: “I was prescribed Topamax for migraine headaches and weight loss. Being on Depakote, my weight had shot up 25 pounds with no end in sight. I was even craving sweets, which I had never done. After two days of Topamax, my appetite decreased noticeably. After a week, I had lost 7 pounds. By the time I had been on it for a month, I was down to 125 and still not hungry. Eating became something I thought I should do instead of something I HAD to do. When my weight dropped to 118, I stopped the Topamax, thinking, if I start to gain weight I’ll take it again. It’s been six years since I’ve taken Topamax and I weigh 130; 20.4 BMI. The results seem to last. I’m not sure it worked for my migraines, but it’s awesome for weight loss!”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

For Obesity: “I’ve taken this medicine Topamax two separate times. The first time it helped me lose weight and I didn’t have many side effects but went off of it once I got in a serious relationship and heard it can make birth control less effective. However, two years after I got off of it I went back on it because of my binge eating disorder and it was horrible. This time I had side effects I was losing feeling in my hands and feet. My face would go numb. It didn’t really help with appetite. And it started to impact my memory. I almost immediately went off of it. And I’m still experiencing memory issues. I’ll be talking and can’t remember words in the middle of a sentence. Or I’ll tell someone something and then a couple of minutes repeat it because I forgot if I said it or not. Keep in mind I’m 21 and shouldn’t be having memory issues like this. I don’t recommend it...”

JesusSaves October 6, 2019

“Left me cognitively impaired with poor memory, concentration, speech problems, and word retreival. Not giving up on life, just adding avacados to my diet along with fruits and veggies. Avocadoes help improve cognitive functions, memory, and concentration. ”

nanner · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “I had the worst effects from this medication made me very loopy and could not remember anything. It made feel like balanced my balance was off. I would not recommend this medicine for anyone.”

Bev · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been taking Topamax for one year for migraines with muscle spasms. Topamax is really the best drug for reducing my headaches and also for controlling the migraine caused spasms. Nothing else stops the spasms - they are debilitating. That said, I started at 100 mg and it was a nightmare! My right leg became Icy and numb and that spread to my right abdomen and then the right side of my brain. I had difficulty walking and functioning because of this. I was so numb, I was constantly bumping my right side and bruising because I couldn’t feel anything on that side. I couldn’t lift my leg to climb stairs or to get in a car to drive. I had yeast infections that wouldn’t end along with differences in menstruation. There were other side effects also but these were the worst. I reduced the dose to 50 mg. The side effects were greatly reduced. The headaches are more frequent and the spasms much more bothersome but still reduced enough to live with.”

Michal September 11, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “Been on Topamax quite a few weeks now, to help my migraines. At 50mg my it wasn't doing anything additional for my migraines that my low histamine diet wasn't already doing, but it did wonders for my brain fog and energy! Very pleased! A few word- finding problems but I can sit and read a whole book now and remember what I read. Last week I went up to 100mg and sadly it has begun giving me daily migraines. Not bad ones but it's not a good sign. I will be dropping it back down to 50mg for a week or two and if they resolve I will try again to confirm if the higher dose is the issue. As advice: don't listen to the scaremongering on here and take the miracles with a grain of salt. It IS approved for migraine, it's not an off label use.”

Aunt T · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been through so much with this medicine !! I ended up dizzy, confused, very irritable, pain behind my eyes so bad it would give me headaches every day. I was scared to death to drive as my perception was off, so bad sometimes it was like the road was moving not my car. I had memory loss and couldn't say things right or even do deposits at work, I felt as if my brain was trying to come out of my skull. On this I had to go to gyno because had abnormal periods and neurologist because of my head!! I too had breast , arm and leg pain to the point of couldn't wash my hair or get ready . My legs were so bad I couldn't make it up the stairs! My husband was scared I was scared I was losing my mind and had something major wrong with me. This medicine wreaks havoc on your body and brain and eyes !!! NIGHTMARE DRUG....... I stopped it 3 days ago and getting better already... I'm 42 and a healthy person or was!!”