User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 348 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "i have been on topamax for a little over 6 years. I started at 25 mg. and slowly went up to 250 mg. I experienced the weight loss, tingling and the other minimal side effects at the lower dose but was encouraged to stay on the meds. As i increased the dose, i started having hair loss, dizziness and "white outs" where i would not be able to see at all for up to 20-30 seconds at a time. I also started having the memory issues. I started seeing a new neuro and we dropped me down to 100 mg. The hair loss stopped but I still get the vertigo. I am now down to 50 mg. I suffer from eye pain in my left eye and still the random dizziness- which is horrible. Weaning off of this - I do Botox injections now for preventative with some relief"

just hurts (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2016

For Obesity "I've tried in twice. First time about 7 years ago and lost a modest amount of weight easily. I can't remember how much. It made me thirst, so I drank a lot of water and it took away my craving for junk food. Send time was end of May, 2016. 100mg at night. I lost 10 pounds in about 5-6 weeks easily. No desire to snack or eat emotionally. Only downside was that I was anxious a lot. I've now plateaud but at least I'm not gaining weight. I should try to up the dose. At least the anxiety has largely decreased."

Kittensb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "A very dangerous medication. I was prescribed it for headaches. Many side effects were problems I was already having. I told my doctor about I, and so did my wife on many occasions. The doctor said keep taking it, the good out ways the bad. And if I don't take it. They will not try a new.medication,or see me again. So I tried it for 21 days. Hallucination, didn't no if I was awake or dreaming. Many bad things. Then out of know where. I shot myself under the chin. Some how I survived. After coming out of coma and many surgeries. I did more study on the medicine. I'm 46. In the testing of this drug. 31% of all males between 41 & 49 committed suicide on it. That's one in three males. All within the first 30 days. So I was failed by my the docs"

Ckaz (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topimax for going on 3 1/2 months now and met with my doctor twice telling her I absolutely could not be on this medication because I could not perform my job duties at work. I had a very difficult time comprehending very basic stuff. I was put on it for my headaches I've dealt with for near 2 decades. My dr took me off my medication I've been on for 18 years suddenly, which has worked for my heaches, and switched me to Topimax. I decided to push through because I was no longer getting my medication that worked for me and I kept being told that the brain fog would get better wich it has the past 2 weeks. New problem is my hair is falling out in clumps. Every day literal clumps of hair fall out in the shower."

PinkBearsMimi (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I wish I would have read these reviews before I started taking topamax instead of wandering around like a clueless zombie wondering what the hell was wrong with me. As of now I have no solution to my chronic migraines but what else is new, this is the story of my life. Topamax surly isn't the solution. I have no clue if topamax would have worked if taken longer but the side effects are not worth it. Even their website says they are unclear as to how it works. Wtf. I basically felt like I was moving around with no destination.. I couldn't focus, I felt lost, I kept doing things on repeat. I can't live like that. My driving was off. My sight was blury. The pins and needles feeling's in my hands and feet was just awkward and inconvenient."

Allison123 August 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I've taking topamax for three years. It helped but I started getting eye pain behind my left eye. My eye would throb like a bird was pecking at it. I went to several doctors about it and U of L dr. figured it out...it was topamax causing the problem. I'm off of the meds.and having very little pain behind my eye."

Girlboyd (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2016

For Seizure Prevention "Used it for a mth and having the weirdest seizures ever"

33yrsofseisures July 15, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I took this medicine because I was having severe headaches every day and tried everything my Doctor put me on Topamax it will take your headaches away and remove the weight I never felt bad but I had a hard time remembering simple things as coworkers names, what measuring cup to use for wet and dry items I could never remember the words I needed to carry on a conversation. I stop taking this medication because I could not function at my place of employment not to mention the short term memory loss & loosing my hair was crazy. I truly think that so many people get caught up with being able to stay so thin that they keep taking it. I took 50mg morning and 50mg @ night. Not worth it."

shawtie July 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "This medicine is horrible. I last 2 days on only 25 mgs. The side effects are not worth it."

JT25 July 7, 2016

For Seizure Prevention "When I first started this medication it was OK ,I was never told this medicine cause memory loss. It's really bad, I can't remember at times if I took my medicine and places I have been going all my life I can't remember how to get there. Please be aware!!!"

Dimples1621 June 28, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "helps me to sleep and a lot less head akes"

skip the pain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

For Migraine Prevention " This is the worst medication ever. Started at 25mg for 7 days at night then moved up to 50 mg. on night 7 to advance each week up until100mg. Didn't get past day12 and decided this was not going to work for me. Vertigo, nausea, loss of appetite, irrational fears, phobias, drug induced fog, depression, ringing in ears and can only smell certain strange odors which are unpleasant and all carbonated drinks are flat and tasteless. At this point, your quality of life is beyond worthless. It helped with migraines...but I was so preoccupied and sick with side effects I'm not sure what was worse."

Jojo2222 (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Obesity "Ok so I am going on my third week of topamax I have seizures uncontrollably migraines and obesity so let me begin with saying this I have noticed a significant change in my body as far as the weight loss goes 6pds since I have been on it and still loosing however I have lost my appetite I have no desire to eat I may eat one time a day that's the only downside I have noticed a change in carbonated drinks they don't taste the same anymore I am currently coming off tegortol which was only treating my seizures and I was gaining so much weight so I'm thankful that topamax is working for me and i only have to take one pill a day to treat all my ailments"

Caseyant June 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I took this medication starting in August. I stopped because my hair was falling out. I'm 20 years old and I've lost most of my hair now. I had to go get it cut to my shoulders in hopes it would look better but if doesn't. I began taking topamax to help with my migraines and I dropped a lot of weight. I lost 20 lbs over the course of 8 months. I now weigh 136lbs and sort of want to continue because I love the fact that I'm losing all this weight but I know it's bad for me as I am now getting addicted. I've been off the medication for about 2 months and my migraines are returning. I don't want to continue taking it because of my hair loss but I am not sure what to do. I tried taking medicine for hair, skin & nails to help but it didn't work."

Young Concerned Adult (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax (topiramate) for 6 years, and loved it at first. My migraines decreased dramatically, I had weight loss from the appetite suppression, and I overall felt better. But I had pretty bad tingling in my hands and all over my face for the whole time I've taken it. Also more recently, I've made the connection with my severe memory loss to the medication. I used to be able to retain information and facts like an elephant, but I can hardly recall simple words some days. I'm planning on going off the Topamax (with the direction of my neuro) because the memory loss issue is so disturbing to me."

PMarieRN June 9, 2016

For Fibromyalgia "I love this medicine. My Dr originally gave it to me for weight loss but it got rid of all my joint pains. I had it everywhere. It was a miracle drug for me. I am noticing some memory loss, and difficulty concentrating but I'm 52 so it could be age. I'm going to cut back on the dosage and see if I notice changes."

Turn1964 June 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "After taking 100mg daily, it took me roughly 3 months for my migraines to dramatically stop. I went from having approximately 12 migraines monthly to having maybe two. The side effects of this medication for me: for 3 weeks I could not focus, extreme fatigue, restlessness. I cannot drink anything carbonated, as a result, I lost 20 pounds in the first month. Serious appetite loss. I've been on this medication for 9 months and lost a total of 43 pounds. I have to take in the morning otherwise I cannot sleep. It also helps with my OCD tendencies. If you can make it through 3 weeks of outter space, this medication is worth it!!"

Kimber Deyton June 1, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I've been taking topamax for over 10 years. At first I lost 30 pounds. YIKES ! I stabilized and gained back some weight to a good weight for me. A few times I've had tingling in my fingers that lasted avery short duration. I 've been a chronic migraine sufferer for over 30 years. Started at 20 and I'll be 54 soon. Like many...I 've been to many Dr's and tried too many meds. This was the only thing that worked. Thankfully, for me, the side effects were minimal. Just because you have one bad experience, don't suffer. Find something. Meditation. ..something. You deserve a better life. We wouldn't be on this board if we didn't want to discourage or encourage someone else. Keep trying to live pain free."

6754bon (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2016

For Obesity "First started topamax in 2013 lost 30 lbs on 75mg in 3 mos topamax 25 mg 3 x a day w/30 mg prozac once a da. Weight went from 278 to 248. I am 65 year old female obese all my life. Had experimental Lap band surgery in 1979. Gained all weight back. Tried everything and gained back all weight every time. Can't take diet pills make me too jittery. After three years stopped topamax because of minor memory loss which I thought was embarrassing. Stayed on Prozac 30mg and gained all weight back and more up to 291. Now I am really depressed. Came off Prozac and am back on topamax 25 mg in morning and 25 mg at night only. Have lost 3 lbs in one week. So happy. Would rather walk and feel better physically than remember someones name,"

Reeneebee May 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "After my second baby I had an increase in hormonal migraines and tension headaches and my neurologist put me on topomax starting @ 25 per night until I got a final dose of 100mg split between am /pm. Initially I noticed a lot of tingling in hands, feet & face, in week 2 a very tense jaw, I still feel like myself, but I feel more tired. I dont need to nap or anything during the day but at night i have NO trouble sleeping .All of the pain in my head disappered I thought it was amazing but I did get 2 hormonal headaches (not migraine strength) all in all not bad. I eat a dinner meal only and drink water all day long this med just makes me not want food. Weightloss:10kgs in 3 months.. I have no depression just tiredness its not fixed by naps"

Awa*star May 13, 2016

For Obesity "After getting a blistering skin rash from Lamictal, Topamax was prescribed. It did decrease my appetite- I went from 209 lbs back to my regular 135 which I hadn't been in 7 years. This took place in about 10 months. At abt the same time I started taking it, I was rearended and suffered a MTBI and scored very low on my neuropsych exam. My old psychiatrist retired and the new psychiatrist is against Topamax bc of the "foggy" side effects that are common. Now, a little over a year later, I feel ok abt this med considering the alternatives- wish there were better alternatives!"

Sunnis May 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "After menopause, migraines soared to three per week. Top ax 50 mgs daily has been a miracle drug. Not one headache in 18 months. One side effect is dry eyes and dry mouth. Easy to live with that in lieu of disabling migraines that eroded my life."

Willard183 May 7, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I didn't use it long enough to see if it would prevent my monthly migraine but I wanted to share the side effects I experienced. I started with 25 milligrams twice a day for 7 days and felt ok but did experience some tingling in my feet and fingers. Then I increased to 50 milligrams twice a day per doctor's order and things really changed. I started having the craziest dreams every night. Tingling was very pronounced every day in feet and hands. I couldn't get out of bed easily. I felt very lethargic and really like a zombie. I kind of had a flat affect and felt very robotic at times. Other times I was very depressed and irritable or even angry. I stopped taking it. Also was hungry all the time. That was not normal for me at all."

DDIndiana (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I am taking 25mg in morning. Working up to 100mg over few weeks going up 25mg every 2weeks, iv only been taking it 4days and tbh only thing I've noticed was first day felt rough but since I've felt the odd nausea no other side effects, maybe because I've been so busy haven't noticed them, I'm actually lookin forward to upping dosage, I want to prevent migraines I dunno why I didn't go get help sooner I've suffered for years, but to me being overweight I'm also hoping itl help with the weightloss I've been struggling to lose for over 4yrs I'm fit and healthy and regular exercise and healthy eater yet can't shift so hoping this helps"

clog April 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I take 25mg in the morning and 50 at night. Within the first two weeks of taking it, I tried to commit suicide, I was fighting major depression at the time too. By week four the feeling went away. Took 2-3 months for the fingers and toes to stop tingling but I had that in the toes any ways from nerve damage in the back. They increased my evening dose and within two weeks again I tried to commit suicide again. This time twice in one week and within a month I stabilized again. My doctor will not raise it anymore even though I just begged her to, it's only day 7-21 that I need to be watched and the last time, I called my sister to take me to the hospital the second attempt.I didn't lose weight on it."

lunarminx (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2016