User Reviews for Topamax

Vulvodynia

Smoking Cessation

Summary of Topamax reviews 6.5 439 reviews

Reviews for Topamax

For Fibromyalgia "Been taking Topamax since 2004, off label, for peripheral neuralgia in my feet with very positive results. Did not realize the additional effects on fibromyalgia until I ran out for about 2 weeks...won't let that happen again!"

Teddy (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2018

For Seizure Prevention "After day one of topamax I felt strange. Generally sick. Very nervous. Aggressive. And then very depressed. I kept taking them. My appetite decreased as did my energy levels. And I was over thirsty all the time. Some abdominal pains and areas of numbness. Particularly of the face. Mouth. Eyes etc. Then I broke out in massive bruises. Very dark large haematomas on. My arm. I also had bone pains in my lower back and legs. I felt like I was being POISONED to death. So I stopped taking topamax after a month. After two days I already am feeling much better. This should not be allowed on the market. Again. Topamax feels like a very cruel lethal drug/poison.... Don't take it."

Snagz April 24, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I have been taking Topamax for 15 years since 2003. I use it for Migraines and mood disorder. It has been a life saver for me. For the mood disorder it was at 50mg at night, but for migraines I am not at 125 (50 in morning and 75 at night). It works."

Female-50s (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I am 28 and have struggled with migraines for 10 years. I've found 80mg/day of propranolol very effective for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, 4 months ago, I began having migraines that were more frequent, 8 days/mo. My neurologist recommended 100mg/day topamax. The side effects were terrible: extreme fatigue, mental fog, dry mouth and loss of appetite. After 3 weeks, I complained and she reduced my dose to 50mg, which helped with the side effects. Meanwhile, my migraines were just as frequent as before, some requiring intervention at the hospital. My neurologist suggested I stay with it for at least 8 weeks since it can sometimes take that long to show improvement. Finally, after 2 months, I quit topamax and now I'm trying verapamil. Side effects: intolerable Migraine improvement: none My neurologist said that the cognitive side effects can be greater for those with depression or those who are on antidepressants, which I take."

MigraineMavis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Seizure Prevention "No problems the first four weeks @25mg. Later @75mg, I began to have cognitive difficulties. Felt like I was becoming a drug induced moron. Trouble developing thought formation, loss of words, lethargic. I was on Lithium for 15 years, developed chronic kidney disease. Looking for something for Bipolar 1 (mixed manic) without damage to body and shutting off the brain."

Shay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

For Bulimia "I'm an educated, certified, educator and RN who has dealt with Bulimia since age 12. When I was a teenager I was put on Topamax for two years and then in combination with Prozac for one year for depression and the eating disorder. 100% it worked. I got out of the cycle and didn't gain any unwanted weight, eventually getting off the two and still felt great. It wasn't until after giving birth twice that the depression and bulimia came back. Post baby number two and one lost baby in between, at age 27 I couldn't drop the unwanted weight and felt depressed about it. Now 30 I am considering going back on the meds because it worked so well the first time, but I am the type of person who doesn't like mind altering drugs or the feeling that I can't do it on my own. 3 years deep right now and my doctor really wants me to go back on meds at least to bridge my recovery. To those looking for a medication to assist, I know this one works."

Flawed RN (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome "My beautiful son had the worst issues with TS we went to a doctor, God bless Him I'll never forget you Dr. Marreo you changed our lives forever Topamax. We tried everything... my son is almost 90% tic free if not 99% most of the time. Yes, the thought process may be a little slower but the benefits outweigh. TRY TOPAMAX IF YOU HAVE TS it saved my son"

Carmel Kaplan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome "I've had Tourette's as long as I can remember. I was finally diagnosed in my 50s. Topamax was fantastic for my tics. First time ever to not be in pain. I have neck fusions from all the neck twisting, turning, stretching. Unfortunately side effects were terrible. Flu like symptoms, migraines (some take it for migraine prevention??), plugged ears, slower reflexes (not good since I do canyoneering). Good side effects: carbonated drinks taste terrible, lessened my appetite. I was on it for 8 months until I was setting up rigging for a 150' rappel and had to think way too hard on what normally was second nature."

Lyn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "Overall bad experience. Currently tapering off (was on the med 3 months). Did work in decreasing migraines but the side effects were horrible. Tingly hands, feet, legs and arms; heavy chest (thought I was having a heart attack); very anxious; crying often; just not happy; very tired. I cannot wait to be off of this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

For Seizure Prevention "My doctor put me on Topamax because I could no longer afford Lacmictal for my bipolar disorder. It was the worst experience of my life. It gave me a severe headache, loss of coordination -- if I was walking forward I would suddenly start waking on my tiptoes in a sideways direction. I couldn't spell or form sentences. I had slurred speech and my eyes were glazed over. I also had mild anxiety the whole time I was on it. The only good thing was that I literally had no appetite and lost a lot of weight. I only took it for about ten days week and went back to Lamictal. I'd rather be poor than have to be on Topamax"

Butterbean63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

For Obesity "It’s a little early for a review. It’s currently December 27th, 2017 and started Topamax on Dec. 7th. It’s been 20 days and I am a total binge eater. I’ve never been overweight, it’s not even in my genes to be overweight. I’m going through an extreme depression and being on over 12 different medications the past 5 years has been rough. I was 115-120lbs all the way up until I was 18. Started getting medicated when I was 18 and started gaining ever since. It’s normal to gain weight with age obviously, i’ve seen just about everyone I graduated with has gained weight. I blame Seroquel for my weight gain. HOWEVER. I weigh 161lbs starting topamax, it’s been 20 days, haven’t shifted in weight. Will post update later on."

heyitsmeee (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "WOW! AMAZING! helped with migraines so much!!!! I really hope it helps curb my appetite like others have said! i’m 5’3, 163lbs and have the most severe back pain from fibromyalgia."

Mereanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

For Obesity "First- there is absolutely no difference between brand and generic. There can't be legally. It is the same active ingredient and the same strength. It's just the name and cost and inactive ingredinets. This being said... I don't understand where negative remarks come from. This medicine is amazing. I took it a while ago then asked to be changed to something else. I gained 20lbs and the other med didn't so anything. So I asked to be changed back. My leg muscles hurt and I have a few word issues but it's an amazing medicine."

Teetzytotz December 4, 2017

For Obesity "My original intent with Topamax was never weight loss, (mood) nor would have I ever believed the results I've obtained 19 months later. Quick negatives-my mental agility decreased significantly, I misspell my own name; most food & beverages taste like rubbish; and, the generic version is subpar. I was always overweight, I'm mid-30s, male, & slimmed from 275 to low 180s, size 42 to 32, XXL to L. It stays off! Still drop a few lbs. every month. However it's impossible for me to get off, I tried once and I went into a severe depression, but I'm a healthy weight now with perfect blood pressure."

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "Have been on Topamax 100mg twice a day since July of this year. Once in the morning, once in the evening. Have been a chronic migraine sufferer for at least ten years. Having at least 8-10 migraines per month, lasting at least 24 hours at a time. Unable to leave dark room and often ending up in hospital. Dr started me off on 25 mg twice a day, gradually working me up to 100 mg twice a day. This is the best thing that has ever happened to me!! migraines are down to about 1 to two a month. I can actually live my life!!! Yes, I have lost about 30 pounds since July (almost 5 months) luckily, I had it to lose. But I feel like a new person! Memory was slightly foggy at first but body adjusted and I feel great!!"

neely52 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax since 2010. I started taking 50 mg but I was given the generic and had a really bad allergic reaction to it. My skin broke out and I had to see a dermatologist. I was eventually given Topamax (the brand name) and I no longer had the allergic reaction. The 50 mg wasn't strong enough and eventually I ramped up to 200 mg. I had weight loss in the beginning (close to 90 lbs, which I could afford). I've gained about 20 of it back but I've not lost any since. I do feel that I get somewhat spacey and suffer from some memory loss. I've asked my doctor if I can come off of the medication beginning next year. I've been on it too long and I am concerned with the memory side effects."

gdhouston (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

For Seizure Prevention "Topamax, I’m not sure what a decade of using topamax has or has not caused, it is NOT reliably controlling siezures until I started ketogenic lifestyle, in fact the high fat diet has totally taken away my tremors in head that I felt on daily basis, my Clinic had me in for 5 days in hospital testing and determined to lower my topamax level upon leaving by 100 mg. I was on 400 and lowered to 300. Today I have depression fibromyalgia and most my ligaments or hurt. Joints feel like they are rock hard swollen and painful, I can barely use my thumbs anymore but I refuse to go to do tools for fear of more medication, they never find anything wrong but proof is in pudding, bulging achilles and wrists, right side pain every joint I have hurts "

Ketogenic lifestyle (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "First of all I have suffered with headaches all my life and at 52 they seem to be getting worse. I found out I have hypothyroidism and the weight gain is horrible. I’ve gained 15 lbs. My doctor prescribed me Topamax at 25mg still having headaches she changed the dosage to 50mg at twice a day. The first day I took one in the morning and one at evening the next morning I woke up with a severe headache... Could it be from the dr changing my dosage on Topamax?"

Kittycatz (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

For Bulimia "I lost 10 pounds. I also almost went blind so after a month I quit and my vision returned. I quick cold turkey and had sleep paralysis with hallucinations. It was scary as heck. I was awake paralyzed, couldn't talk could not move. My hallucinations were I was in my room and something picked me up and threw me. Then something touched my back. A evil rabbit whispered in my ear. Then I woke up back on the other side of the room. This drug made me stupid as heck. I couldn't spell, talk or remember anything. My sleep paralysis scared me for life and I still think of the realistic dreams I had for 6 days. Don't take this medicine. It is terrible."

Okaywhocareswhatmyname October 16, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "I started having daily headaches that turned into a severe migraine as the day progressed. Eventually I would end up lying in bed, in the dark, with no noise, unable to sleep, vomiting from the pain. I was terrified it was my new normal. This was the 1st medication my D.O. prescribed. 25mg for a month. 1st week no headaches. Then they slowly returned but would start a little later in the day. I take 50mg twice a day with 40mg twice a day of propanolol for prevention and it works unless I do a lot of crying. Then I take Fioricet."

aeralynlayla (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2017

For Seizure Prevention "Topamax is not for me. I only take 50mg and have side effects, word retrieval issues, sleepiness, balance issues, etc. But it is the only one I can take that my stomach can tolerate! Seeking other avenues to control seizures, like reducing the radiation around me particularly at night...appears to be working!"

Nank (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 3, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "At first I did not like it at all - I started off on 50mg (recommended) and found it wasn't working. I also was super spaced out, unfocused and constantly feeling like my brain was going but my body wasn't (It was WEIRD). This went on for about a week, then it worked perfectly and I was completely normal. However the migraines started coming back so I am now on 100mg a day and the same thing happened when I upped the dosage. It's working now though! I didn't notice any difference in tasting things but I did get tingles in my fingers and toes! Otherwise all round amazing medicine!!"

Ali Sch September 15, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "I had migraines that lasted up to nine days. My neurologist started me on 25mg Topamax and the frequency dropped off immediately. I actually loved the way I felt on Topamax. I had boundless energy, no appetite, and was always in a good mood. After two years, I decided to stop taking it because my skin was breaking out and I think I felt a little too confident in myself. I drove a little faster, said really odd things to people (no filter) and seemed to be turning into a show off about how skinny I was. Not my best personality! I stopped taking it and didn't gain any weight, but the headaches are back. Once my dermatologist gets my skin cleared up, I might go back on it, but will be very mindful of the side effects."

RockFan September 13, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "I've been taking this medication for almost 2 years now and still get headaches. My doctor just keeps upping the dose apparently it's suppose to be one of the best medications in headache/migraine prevention out there. I also take blood pressure medication as well, so taking this with a fairly high dose should take them away completely, correct? Not completely."

Gypsylady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2017

For Migraine Prevention "I was prescribed Topamax as a Migraine preventative and experienced just about every side effect. I started 25mg/day at night for 7 days, moved up to 75mg after 3 weeks and remained there. Within 48 hours I was didn't have a headache at all, but was experiencing side effects of tingling fingers, no appetite and change in taste of foods/carbonated beverages. I did have a hard time concentrating, I'd get confused and would randomly slur words. I weighted 120-ish when I started and within a few months, was 110 or less. I did work out and noticed no matter how hard I pushed, I didn't sweat and randomly got dizzy. Side effects are no joke, but you adjust after a few weeks."

ChubbyMoMo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2017