User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 342 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Topamax

For Seizure Prevention "Used it for a mth and having the weirdest seizures ever"

33yrsofseisures July 15, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I took this medicine because I was having severe headaches every day and tried everything my Doctor put me on Topamax it will take your headaches away and remove the weight I never felt bad but I had a hard time remembering simple things as coworkers names, what measuring cup to use for wet and dry items I could never remember the words I needed to carry on a conversation. I stop taking this medication because I could not function at my place of employment not to mention the short term memory loss & loosing my hair was crazy. I truly think that so many people get caught up with being able to stay so thin that they keep taking it. I took 50mg morning and 50mg @ night. Not worth it."

shawtie July 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "This medicine is horrible. I last 2 days on only 25 mgs. The side effects are not worth it."

JT25 July 7, 2016

For Seizure Prevention "When I first started this medication it was OK ,I was never told this medicine cause memory loss. It's really bad, I can't remember at times if I took my medicine and places I have been going all my life I can't remember how to get there. Please be aware!!!"

Dimples1621 June 28, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "helps me to sleep and a lot less head akes"

skip the pain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

For Migraine Prevention " This is the worst medication ever. Started at 25mg for 7 days at night then moved up to 50 mg. on night 7 to advance each week up until100mg. Didn't get past day12 and decided this was not going to work for me. Vertigo, nausea, loss of appetite, irrational fears, phobias, drug induced fog, depression, ringing in ears and can only smell certain strange odors which are unpleasant and all carbonated drinks are flat and tasteless. At this point, your quality of life is beyond worthless. It helped with migraines...but I was so preoccupied and sick with side effects I'm not sure what was worse."

Jojo2222 (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Obesity "Ok so I am going on my third week of topamax I have seizures uncontrollably migraines and obesity so let me begin with saying this I have noticed a significant change in my body as far as the weight loss goes 6pds since I have been on it and still loosing however I have lost my appetite I have no desire to eat I may eat one time a day that's the only downside I have noticed a change in carbonated drinks they don't taste the same anymore I am currently coming off tegortol which was only treating my seizures and I was gaining so much weight so I'm thankful that topamax is working for me and i only have to take one pill a day to treat all my ailments"

Caseyant June 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I took this medication starting in August. I stopped because my hair was falling out. I'm 20 years old and I've lost most of my hair now. I had to go get it cut to my shoulders in hopes it would look better but if doesn't. I began taking topamax to help with my migraines and I dropped a lot of weight. I lost 20 lbs over the course of 8 months. I now weigh 136lbs and sort of want to continue because I love the fact that I'm losing all this weight but I know it's bad for me as I am now getting addicted. I've been off the medication for about 2 months and my migraines are returning. I don't want to continue taking it because of my hair loss but I am not sure what to do. I tried taking medicine for hair, skin & nails to help but it didn't work."

Young Concerned Adult (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax (topiramate) for 6 years, and loved it at first. My migraines decreased dramatically, I had weight loss from the appetite suppression, and I overall felt better. But I had pretty bad tingling in my hands and all over my face for the whole time I've taken it. Also more recently, I've made the connection with my severe memory loss to the medication. I used to be able to retain information and facts like an elephant, but I can hardly recall simple words some days. I'm planning on going off the Topamax (with the direction of my neuro) because the memory loss issue is so disturbing to me."

PMarieRN June 9, 2016

For Fibromyalgia "I love this medicine. My Dr originally gave it to me for weight loss but it got rid of all my joint pains. I had it everywhere. It was a miracle drug for me. I am noticing some memory loss, and difficulty concentrating but I'm 52 so it could be age. I'm going to cut back on the dosage and see if I notice changes."

Turn1964 June 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "After taking 100mg daily, it took me roughly 3 months for my migraines to dramatically stop. I went from having approximately 12 migraines monthly to having maybe two. The side effects of this medication for me: for 3 weeks I could not focus, extreme fatigue, restlessness. I cannot drink anything carbonated, as a result, I lost 20 pounds in the first month. Serious appetite loss. I've been on this medication for 9 months and lost a total of 43 pounds. I have to take in the morning otherwise I cannot sleep. It also helps with my OCD tendencies. If you can make it through 3 weeks of outter space, this medication is worth it!!"

Kimber Deyton June 1, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I've been taking topamax for over 10 years. At first I lost 30 pounds. YIKES ! I stabilized and gained back some weight to a good weight for me. A few times I've had tingling in my fingers that lasted avery short duration. I 've been a chronic migraine sufferer for over 30 years. Started at 20 and I'll be 54 soon. Like many...I 've been to many Dr's and tried too many meds. This was the only thing that worked. Thankfully, for me, the side effects were minimal. Just because you have one bad experience, don't suffer. Find something. Meditation. ..something. You deserve a better life. We wouldn't be on this board if we didn't want to discourage or encourage someone else. Keep trying to live pain free."

6754bon (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2016

For Obesity "First started topamax in 2013 lost 30 lbs on 75mg in 3 mos topamax 25 mg 3 x a day w/30 mg prozac once a da. Weight went from 278 to 248. I am 65 year old female obese all my life. Had experimental Lap band surgery in 1979. Gained all weight back. Tried everything and gained back all weight every time. Can't take diet pills make me too jittery. After three years stopped topamax because of minor memory loss which I thought was embarrassing. Stayed on Prozac 30mg and gained all weight back and more up to 291. Now I am really depressed. Came off Prozac and am back on topamax 25 mg in morning and 25 mg at night only. Have lost 3 lbs in one week. So happy. Would rather walk and feel better physically than remember someones name,"

Reeneebee May 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "After my second baby I had an increase in hormonal migraines and tension headaches and my neurologist put me on topomax starting @ 25 per night until I got a final dose of 100mg split between am /pm. Initially I noticed a lot of tingling in hands, feet & face, in week 2 a very tense jaw, I still feel like myself, but I feel more tired. I dont need to nap or anything during the day but at night i have NO trouble sleeping .All of the pain in my head disappered I thought it was amazing but I did get 2 hormonal headaches (not migraine strength) all in all not bad. I eat a dinner meal only and drink water all day long this med just makes me not want food. Weightloss:10kgs in 3 months.. I have no depression just tiredness its not fixed by naps"

Awa*star May 13, 2016

For Obesity "After getting a blistering skin rash from Lamictal, Topamax was prescribed. It did decrease my appetite- I went from 209 lbs back to my regular 135 which I hadn't been in 7 years. This took place in about 10 months. At abt the same time I started taking it, I was rearended and suffered a MTBI and scored very low on my neuropsych exam. My old psychiatrist retired and the new psychiatrist is against Topamax bc of the "foggy" side effects that are common. Now, a little over a year later, I feel ok abt this med considering the alternatives- wish there were better alternatives!"

Sunnis May 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "After menopause, migraines soared to three per week. Top ax 50 mgs daily has been a miracle drug. Not one headache in 18 months. One side effect is dry eyes and dry mouth. Easy to live with that in lieu of disabling migraines that eroded my life."

Willard183 May 7, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I didn't use it long enough to see if it would prevent my monthly migraine but I wanted to share the side effects I experienced. I started with 25 milligrams twice a day for 7 days and felt ok but did experience some tingling in my feet and fingers. Then I increased to 50 milligrams twice a day per doctor's order and things really changed. I started having the craziest dreams every night. Tingling was very pronounced every day in feet and hands. I couldn't get out of bed easily. I felt very lethargic and really like a zombie. I kind of had a flat affect and felt very robotic at times. Other times I was very depressed and irritable or even angry. I stopped taking it. Also was hungry all the time. That was not normal for me at all."

DDIndiana (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I am taking 25mg in morning. Working up to 100mg over few weeks going up 25mg every 2weeks, iv only been taking it 4days and tbh only thing I've noticed was first day felt rough but since I've felt the odd nausea no other side effects, maybe because I've been so busy haven't noticed them, I'm actually lookin forward to upping dosage, I want to prevent migraines I dunno why I didn't go get help sooner I've suffered for years, but to me being overweight I'm also hoping itl help with the weightloss I've been struggling to lose for over 4yrs I'm fit and healthy and regular exercise and healthy eater yet can't shift so hoping this helps"

clog April 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I take 25mg in the morning and 50 at night. Within the first two weeks of taking it, I tried to commit suicide, I was fighting major depression at the time too. By week four the feeling went away. Took 2-3 months for the fingers and toes to stop tingling but I had that in the toes any ways from nerve damage in the back. They increased my evening dose and within two weeks again I tried to commit suicide again. This time twice in one week and within a month I stabilized again. My doctor will not raise it anymore even though I just begged her to, it's only day 7-21 that I need to be watched and the last time, I called my sister to take me to the hospital the second attempt.I didn't lose weight on it."

lunarminx (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "This is the worst drug I've ever taken. It gave me horrible tremors, anxiety, & a guilt complex."

464168281 March 11, 2016

For Obesity "I suffer from migraines and also am overweight. So the Dr prescribed me topamax for both. I weighed in at 209 on Feb 2 2016 and today Feb 12 2016 I am 203. So far so good with the weight loss. I'm not to pleased with the side affects however. I feel fuzzy all day. Like I'm on a cloud, Dizzy. Tingling and nubness in my fingers and toes. Hasn't helped my migraines at all either. It does though not make me hungry at all. I have to force myself to eat because I know I have too. I don't see myself taking this medication long term. I'd rather try and lose the weight naturally. Not worth all the side affects"

RachelLp February 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "It lessened the frequency of my migraines. But the side effects are not worth the relief it provided. It turned me into a zombie. I didn't care about anything. I couldn't even taste my food! And the worst part was it robbed me of my ability to be alarmed by the growing severity of my depression and other serious symptoms. After three months, I was GLAD to detox. 4 days clean and I can almost taste sugar again. Can't wait til the brain fog lifts."

Sheryl M. February 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "Horrible medication with tons of side effects. I have tried this stuff twice over a 15 year period and this time was much worse....all the side effects listed I got to experience within two weeks of taking this drug with slow introduction. And I still got migraines even while taking it...and now I have to take eye medication on top of wheezing, felt like puking, dizzy, edgy and wanting to kill myself. Throw this one in the waste basket and try the alternatives before touching this stuff."

Hutch77 February 7, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "This medicine gave me a kidney stone. They don't run in my family and I have never had one before. The kidney stone got stuck and after several of the most painful weeks of my life thus far I had to have surgery to get it removed. I would gladly suffer from migraines then to ever experience a kidney stone."

annette7878 January 23, 2016

For Obesity "I have been obese my whole life. I have struggled with diets and exercise and eating and starving. I have gone as far as having weight loss surgery. EVERYTHING has only been temporary. My new doctor has recommended Topamax. I currently weigh 282.6. I have started out on 25 in the morning and 25 at night. In 1 month I will go in for my follow up. Has anyone else tried everything else and completely fail? My doctor says it could be my genetic makeup. But anyway I plan on keeping a record on here of my journey for myself and others to follow. Thank you for your support."

AmandaRaeKrause January 14, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next