User Reviews for Topamax (Page 4)

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 388 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Topamax

For Obesity "When I first started taking Topamax it was prescribed to me for the prevention of migraine headaches. A couple of years later I now take 200mg in the morning and 200mg at bedtime and since February I have lost 51 lbs... 282 down to 232 and still loosing more!!!!"

sfears1120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obesity "This was prescribed for binge eating as I have mood disorder and I need to lose weight. The binge eating was causing me to go over my calorie plan. I have taken it for over 6 months. I have worked up to 200 mg a day. Never had any side effects and no help with appetite either."

ChiWee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I swear, this stuff almost ruined my life. I am a veteran who suffers from anxiety and chronic migraines from an injury in Iraq. The VA (my neurologist) had me try this drug to see if it would help me with the migraines. After about a month I noticed that I couldn't concentrate, and I'd began to effect my studies badly. My anxiety was the worst it had ever been and I was slipping into a depression. I had no idea what was wrong g with me. The VA gave me (a person who suffers from anxiety) a medication that makes you stupid, and wrecked havoc on my mind without warning me about any potential side effects. I had to process the change on my own, figure out what was wrong with me, and ween myself off the pills. Use with extreme caution!"

Fergus82airborne November 22, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "Highly negative experience. Was treated for migraines with this medication, however I ended up with severe depression and suicidal behaviours. It became so bad I could not be left in our house alone. I had muscle atrophy and injured myself just from trying to walk. One broken foot and 3 back injuries. Worst medication I have ever taken; it almost killed me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2015

For Seizure Prevention "I found this drug to be very effective to control my seizures. Before taking Topirimate, my seizures were uncontrollable. I would get 3-5 seizures per week. Not including the amount of injuries I sustained- fortunately, nothing serious, just bumps on the head and sprained ankles from falling over. But I've been so lucky. I've also lost weight. Amazing. I've wanted to lose weight for a while now. I've lost about 2 stone. But unfortunately the appetite suppressant within the Topiramate has ceased. It doesn't last very long. My appetite has come back :-( But the seizures have been greatly reduced. Which is the main thing, which I'm very happy about."

AshR00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I was taking this medication for over two years had to stop it because my memory is terrible. Places I have been going for over ten years I forgot where they were and how to get there. This medicine has messed up my life, even after I stopped it my memory still hasn't returned. I deal with this everyday and it scares me so bad. I have to write things down everyday in order to remember. It did help with my headaches a little but if I had read up on this medication before I started I can promise you I would not have taken it."

dimples1621 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have suffered hormonal migraines since my early 20's (now early 40's). I had tried most everything for migraines and they were still coming and starting to cluster. I was put onto Topirmirate by my GP at the recommendation of the specialist I saw after plan A stopped working after 6 months. I had some extremity tingling for about 6 weeks when I first started (I was slowly built up to 100mg daily dose). In the interest of full disclosure I am also a type 1 diabetic so I am monitored pretty closely for sight and kidney function and I have had no issues around this. I have also started taking an anti depressant to combat a hormone imbalance issue so I don't get the mood swings either."

CalmB (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "The 2 weeks I was taking topamax ended up being the worst 2 weeks of my life. I was started on this med on Wednesday. By Monday, I was half-way through my day at work when I got lightheaded, dizzy, a terrible headache and started experiencing left sided numbness/tingling. Nearly wrecked and ended up in the ER where they diagnosed migraines. Was sent home to have a headache with left side weakness/numbness, confusion, foggy feeling for the next 2 weeks. 5 doctors appts, 2 ER visits, 1 outpatient infusion for migraines, and 1 admission to the hospital later. I finally figured out on MY OWN that when I stopped taking topamax, my symptoms got better. Although they are still not gone. My vision has changed as well as other long term effects."

AH0811 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've read many of the poor reviews, and wonder how many refer to the generic version of Topamax. I can't use the generic version - it simply doesn't work for me, and I do recall more side effects. However, the brand name drug has been a lifesaver for me. I suffered with chronic daily migraine for over a decade before being placed on Topamax, and NO other drug helped. I was on beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, every medication for seizure disorders, and talk about side effects! They were horrific! I could barely function at work, missed lots of time, and essentially had no life. Topamax has made a major difference. I now have many fewer migraines, rarely contend with chronic daily migraine, and I've experienced no major side effects"

Migraine Lynn (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I felt compelled to write a review, as I was on topamax (or should I say dopamax?!) for about 2 years. I started this medication when I was 21 and was so desperate to find something that would actually help my on-going migraines. Personally, the side effect symptoms FAR outweighed the benefits. I started out on 25mg a day and gradually increased to 100mg. As soon as I got on this, the side effects came rolling in. Before I knew it my memory was completely gone. In daily conversation I couldn't think of simple words, names or phrases. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't form the words to do so. The worst of all, it really affected my grades in college. I used to have awesome memorization skills. Unfortunately I would study for hours upon hours, and still wouldn't do well as I would have "brain fog" during tests, etc. Another side effect I experienced was weight loss. I lost around 25 lbs., HOWEVER I don't believe all of this was ultimately from topamax. I'd definitely say it suppressed my appetite, but I really changed my eating habits and worked out daily. It helped with my first few pounds and got me motivated to do the rest. On the plus side, I saw a significant difference in the amount of migraines I received. It was a night and day difference in that aspect. However, approaching a year and a half on this medication I couldn't take it anymore and had to get off. It wasn't worth it anymore. I don't think tapering off or stopping cold turkey on this really makes a difference. My mom stopped cold turkey and I tapered off, as my doctor instructed me. I rebounded off this HORRIBLY, as did my mom. I was STARVING constantly after no longer taking it. This didn't just go away either. My body didn't feel levelled out and "detoxed" of this for honestly about a year after. I not only gained back all my weight I lost, but plus some. Although everyone's body reacts differently, I highly do NOT recommend taking this. Not even for those desperate for weight loss. Losing weight from a medication like this is not sustainable long term. I'm 24 now and am still affected by my choice of taking this. Topamax has ultimately ruined my memory to this day. I still cannot remember words or things. It changed me. Do not take this! There are other answers out there."

Marie37381 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've had migraines on and off for over a decade, and they're increasing with perimenopause. My new doctor had me try generic Topamax, starting with 25 mg for the first week, then increase to 100 mg, half in the morning and half in the evening. The first week went all right, though I had a migraine all through it. I had a second prescription for Sumatriptan to help. But 100 mg was... horrid. Tired, could hardly get out of bed, brain fog, physical fatigue (very evident at the gym), thirsty. After only 2 weeks I'm tapering off and seeing my doctor again to try something else."

WillametteBearcat October 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I take 50mg at night because of drowsiness. The medication did help me with my migraines , I've only had a few since I started the medication. My side effects include, tingling in hands and feet, Red eyes, But the worst is the brain fog, trying to remember the simplest things are tough. I have also noticed that I get angry about stuff more than I used to."

Anonymous October 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "First week ok. Dizzy first day. Overwhelming sense of wellness for the first week, minus dizzy feeling. I thought this is great. When I increased the dose as prescribed the second week I developed a headache the next day. Had pains in my abdomen, all throughout my back. Continued for 2 more weeks then my body shut down, had the worst migraine that lasted 2 days. I slept for 4 days. Then muscle weekness, nausea, and persistent headache. My bladder was painful and felt like I could not empty it. Three days off them, I can finally stand up straight, but I lost a week of work. Might have been ok if dose was not increased."

Lor26 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I only took Topamax for a short time, but the side effects were so bad I had to stop. Primarily, it made me feel goofy. I was in a cloud and had trouble remembering how to get places I went to frequently. I lost the ability to taste bubbles in beverages, and beer or soda without carbonation just wasn't the same. In short, the nickname "dopamax" seemed well earned to me."

Head Honcho (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "Very sick and dizziness"

ryan726363 September 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I took Topamax a few years ago and regret it. It has changed my life for the worse. Even after stopping the meds several years ago, I still have bad brain fog, loss of vision, memory loss especially short term, lost the ability to comprehend things and lost ability to do simple functions such as basic math. Prior to taking this medicine I was at the top of my game. Now I feel helpless and the doctors were no help. My vision changed after it, mind you I had lasik eye surgery and could see perfectly fine prior to this. It's frustrating because I have to do things differently now and it's embarrassing because people look at you like something wrong since you can't do simple things a 2 year old can do!"

Unique7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2015

For Tourette's Syndrome "Topamax/Topiramate has been wonderful for tic reduction. I have a fairly obvious case and they are exhausting and embarrassing. I have minimal to no side effects, a little drier mouth perhaps, plus my 15/20 vision reduces to 20/20. I feel less anxious and less "pressure/need" to tic. I can take much lower doses of the brand name to achieve the same effect with the generic; but my insurance won't cover the brand name. It's 100mg twice/day generic versus half that amount brand version. It's still worth it!! I feel so much more in control and "almost normal"."

SBrun September 21, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I seemed to catch everything while I was on this rx. First it was a really bad cold, next I could not seem to heal from surgery for deviated septum - my ENT was stumped, then later I caught the flu while the rest of my family seemed fine. Also during this 6 month period I had a couple of sinus infections. Eventually, I knew something was very wrong. I started searching the Internet for immunity issues and topiramate, and I got a couple of hits from blogs where women about my age (40s) claimed that topiramate had wrecked their immunity. Alas, my search (and problem) was over because I knew exactly what they meant by "wrecked my immunity". Within a few short weeks of ceasing the use of topiramate, my health returned. Please beware!"

GPC71 September 14, 2015

For Obesity "I have been over weight and suffer from depression for over 20 years, I admit food was my best friend!!! After hysterectomy doctor put me on hormone replacement medicine, I was so hungry constantly , All I could think about was eating. Then my doctor put me on Topamax and I LOVE IT! I went from 252 lbs to now 167 lbs. From size 22 now size 10. I have to make myself eat, never hungry, and when I am eating I just try to eat slowly, and I do drink water now because even my favorite diet soda does taste terrible. I would tell everyone to try it!"

Jo Jo 997 September 13, 2015

188 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was getting 10-12 migraines a month when I was prescribed Topamax. I took it for a little over a month but had to quit because it made me extremely depressed and suicidal. After I stopped taking it, I felt fine again."

IdahoMt September 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I cannot recommend this medication. Yes it did prevent migraines but the side-effects far outweighed the benefit. My doctor put me on a gradual increase in dosage and I was unable to get past the first week. After a couple of days I lost control of my own thoughts and focused on every negative I my mind could come up with. My work was impacted. I work in an accounting office and lost my ability to count and remember the alphabet. Not to mention I would stop talking in mid-sentence quite often. I knew what I needed to say but my mouth just wouldn't do it. My short term memory was non-existent and I decided to stop taking this medication after I forgot where I was driving to on my way to work; the same place I've been to for the last 9 years."

SP87 September 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have not had good luck with this medicine. The side effects were horrible at first but they did settle down and mostly disappeared after 4 or 5 months on the medication. If you're just starting it, give it some time and the side effects will go away, but for me it never helped lessen or decrease my migraines so now my doc has given me Amitriptyline to try so I'm hoping I have better luck with this one!!"

Krista123456 September 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I started having migraines a week after starting the birth control pill as a teen. Over the years (I'm now 55) I have tried many drugs for the treatment of or prevention of migraines. I get the classic vascular migraine with an aura each time I get a migraine. I finally was prescribed Topamax as a preventative, the final dose that worked was 75mg in am and 75mg in pm. My migraines went from daily to MAYBE once a month. I took this for 3 years at least. I was just at the point of quitting it when I lost my job so I had no choice. The reason I was quitting it was that I lost SO MUCH WEIGHT that I looked anorexic! And soon realized that my memory was HORRIBLE!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "This is the 2nd time in 10 yrs a neurologist has put me on Topomax. I am on 125 mg a day. The side effects are horrible and the migraines are worse than ever. Neuro refuses to take me off it after I have told him I do not like this drug or its many side effects. I was told I was a lost cause."

valliejo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have had estrogen- and barometric migraine since my mid-twenties. I was noticing that the intensity & frequency of said migraines were getting worse over time (I'm 47 now). I was over-presrcribed Imitrex & was having rebound migraines, suffering 20 migraines/mo. So far, I've been on this med for a little over 2 weeks, & am on 25 mg. I don't think I need to go any higher right now, which is fine by me. For the first 4 days, I had a horrid migraine, felt dizzy & had some nausea. After that, I started feeling a lot better, more alert, no pain, felt sharper too. I'm in peri menopause & have noticed that I get a migraine around the time of my period, but it's about a 5 or 6 instead of a 10 . So far is working w/very few & side effects."

Tamiko B. September 4, 2015