User Reviews for Topamax (Page 4)

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 3 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 348 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Topamax

For Bipolar Disorder "Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day."

Cradazd (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

For Obesity "I started 25 mg on June 2nd at bedtime I had the tingling in my hands and bitter taste in my mouth I also fought to remember what I had done all night and morning I felt like a complete zombie..I took one dose and haven't took anymore since the side effects this pill has isn't worth me risking it I'd rather keep my weight until I find another way to get it off and to this day June 5, 2015 I still have tingling in my hands and feet and numbness in my arms along with swelling in my fingers I will never take another topamax it's awful...."

Isn't for me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

For Obesity "I was on 25 mg to start and ended up taking 100. I lost weight. But the price I paid in side effects was not worth it. I lost so much hair that when I try to braid it it's like braiding tiny strands of dental floss. It looks so ridiculous long I had to chop it all off just to conceal how grossly thin it is. People call it dopamax for a reason. It made my memory Swiss cheese and when I had to process information it felt like fighting through seaweed. The worst side effect was the depression. This stuff makes me downright suicidal. It helped me lose about 80 pounds by starvation. I never wanted to eat. I became anemic. If you've never had that before you'll find simple physical tasks to feel like they're inciting heart attacks."

Jennoyed May 30, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have been taking topamax for 2 months to help prevent severe daily migraines w/ Aura it has helped me tremendously. I did lose 6 lbs the 1st week. Mainly due to diarrhea & lack of appetite. I almost gave up on taking it because of the stomach cramps I was getting but they subsided after the 1st week. I have changed a lot about my lifestyle since taking topamax so I don't know how much of my weight loss can be attributed to the drug itself but I definitely have lost weight 12 lbs & don't crave sugar. I stopped drinking soda over a yr ago so I don't know if it tastes different now. I do want water more than anything, which is fine. It does make you drowsy/foggy but I take my dose at bedtime, I do get weird tingles a few times a day in hands"

TLO78beme (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "This medication has been a miracle. My migraines have been disabling to the point where I could not turn my neck and I could not stand up. With this medication, I can live my life. I am on 150 mg a day. Thank you topamax!"

Lexi5280 May 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "My neurologists prescribed me Topamax to prevent migraines 4 days ago. The first night I took the the pill I had HORRIBLE side effects (tingling and numbness for hours). The following night I decided to take my vitamins (which I didn't do the night before) and I didn't experience the same side effects. Not sure if it helped, but I make sure I take them every single day!! The only side effect that I get is slight tingling in my hands occasionally."

Bibi15 May 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I can only describe my experience as horrendous. I was given topi max to balance out the severe anxiety and restlessness and insomnia I had on abilify. It had the opposite effect, after about three weeks taking it I developed severe fatigue, inability to swallow properly, paranoia and the anxiety and restlessness went through the roof, I have never been so close to ending it all to get out of the hell that had become my head. I stopped taking both abilify and topomax and resumed on my original aerogel. Within 24 hours all the symptoms of anxiety and suicidality had gone. A trully terrifying experience that nearly saw my children without a mother"

Lookingonthebrightside May 1, 2015

For Obesity "I started taking 50 mg of Topomax for the first month and went up to 100mg for the next three months. Lost 40 pounds.... For the next year and a half I have kept off the weight but have not lost any more. I still need to lose 30 more pounds, but have seemed to plateaued. And I am at 200 mg now... dont know what to do."

Lindzh90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I tried it for 1 month. I drank tons of water. I was extremely tired all day, but could not sleep through the night. Kidneys constantly felt like I was getting stones. I felt bruised for weeks after cessation. I would rather have a migraine!"

was cautiously optomistic (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have been on generic 25mg daily dose for a week now for migraines. Positive is that I finally have a break in the migraine of 8 plus days, no tingling in extremities as others mentioned. No additional mental fog. Cola taste flat and that is a plus to me as I need to drink more water. Negative is the nausea that occurs after I take the pill and it is horrible but I counter it with a suppository of phenegrin(sp). Of course that knocks me out for hours. I was to increase dosage to 50mg but doctor gave okay to wait another week. This is a promising option for me after 16 yrs of suffering. And I have tried numerous meds over that time."

Smeece April 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Started 100mg at bedtime (in case of drowsiness) because I was waking up with 3 migraines/week. Later we added 25mg in the morning to prevent afternoon migraines. My headaches have gradually improved, not just in frequency but also in intensity. Only side effects have been weight loss (about 10-15 lb, and it seems to have levelled out there, which is fine; I'm a relatively small person) and paresthesia/tingles in my hands & face. Tingling is more frequent in cold weather, but it's not bad enough to make me quit, especially not with the benefits I'm experiencing. There's been a bit of research into its use for mood disorders, which I have. I'm on other meds for that, but I wonder if the topiramate is having any extra little benefit there."

eisley (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I am 19 year old active kid that exercises 4-6 times a week and suddenly after years of working out some migraines began in the gym that didn't go away for 3 months. All day everyday, constant migraines. I had to stop working out, got fat and lost all my gains. I started 25 mg topamax at the same time with chiropractic care (found in neck x-ray abnormal lordotic curve) and started treatment every week. A week later of both of these combined, the migraines are finally gone! but my head still throbs except with no pain.. I am just happy I can finally exercise again, and stop hating life. (Got CT Scan and MRI of head before X-ray of neck, was clear {checked neck because it got stiffer a month into migraines} ) NO SIDE EFFECTS! :-)"

jamesconley19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Topamax is truly a lifesaver I have been on this for many years now for migraine prevention, and I to would get the "pins and needles" tingle sinsation in hands and feet. I've found A daily multivitamin helps with that, and believe it or not, prenatal vitamins take it completely away. I hope this helps!"

Anonymous March 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax for quite a few months now, and I love it for the most part! I have only had the occasional minor headache, but the side effects are good/bad. The good ones in my book are the weight loss and carbonated beverages and other sweet things tasting horrible. The bad side effects are tingling, usually in my fingers and confusion/'blonde moments" but those are usually more pronounced the more tired I am. I can live with the bad side effects so much easier than I can a migraine everyday!"

Ladylisa1313 March 23, 2015

For Obesity "I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far."

momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I am 22 and have suffered from migraines since I was 11. I finally got a primary doctor who would actually listen to me, I was prescribed this medication. The first night I took it I felt nothing so I figured no side effects. The next day I still was in pain and took my medication that night I had a very severe reaction to it and was taken to the ER... I felt like I had a million bugs crawling through my skin and I couldn't see clearly. I have friends who this has worked for but for me it did not"

Rachel Marie (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have suffered from migraines for the past three years. I would wake up with a headache almost every single day and have a headache at least 27 days out of every month. I started taking just about a week ago and have only had one headache. I could not be any happier. I have had one strange side effect (a yeast infection), but that's a small price to pay for being headache free. I could not be happier."

Topamax is short of a miracle March 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I was on topamax for a month and lost 6lbs. I could handle the tingling in my hands and feet but I stopped taking it because my period never stopped! It started the day after my first dose and ended three days after I stopped taking topamax. I do have the birth control Implanon implanted in my arm. So maybe those drugs combined doesn't work well. I still had migraines but they weren't intense."

tytiannagreen0000000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on 50 mg of Topamax for a month now and it's changed everything for me. I went from having a headache every day for the past 2 years to not having a single one. I was skeptical at first because of the possibility of weight loss, as I am already very small. So far I have had no side effects. It truly has been a life saver."

Krista T. March 2, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Topamax saved my life! I'm currently on 25 mg and will go up if needed. I woke up every single day from a headache. It literally got to the point where I didn't want to wake up. The only side effect I had was nausea for about 3 days but it was gone after that. It took about a week to it to start working for me. I haven't been so happy in my entire life! Headaches controlled my life but not anymore!"

Heather Tillmann (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "Life long migraines that were becoming more severe and frequent with age. I was getting up to 10 attacks per month and using Relpax to stop the pain. Doctor had me try Topamax 2x per day everyday. Attacks stopped immediately - it's been amazing. There have been some side effects that took time to get used to, but as compared to the migraine pain I would take the side effects any day. If you're a life long sufferer looking at a maintenance medicine, I would recommend trying it."

Westmichigan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on Topamax for about 2 months now. I've went to having a migraine or headache of some sort everyday to 2 migraines in the past 2 months. The only thing I dont like about the medication is the severe tingling in my hands, feet, fingers, and lips."

miramy February 19, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I suffer from migraines, high blood pressure headaches, nerve pain and occasional bouts of trigeminal neuralgia. Topamax is a god send, it stopped my headaches and trigeminal neuralgia after we had gone through every treatment and pill available with no result. I was close to suicide because of the amount of pain in my life when I tried topamax and it solved all of those issues. One thing I will say is that the side effect I got from it was pretty severe-I was unable to physically exert myself or else I would break out in cold sweats and feel very weak. I didn't realize it was the topamax for the longest time as it isn't listed as one of the major side effects, but I was so ill I wasn't exerting myself anyways."

Jwall1077 February 15, 2015