User Reviews for Topamax (Page 2)

Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 4 reviews 41 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Topamax reviews 419 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines in 2010 and I had severe 24/7 vertigo. I always had "regular" migraines since I was a teen, but after an infection of the inner ear in 2010, my migraines changed and I had both pain and vertigo. For one year I had constant vertigo and I honestly thought I would become housebound. I could not go to theatres, malls, stores, or any areas with lots of people because crowds would make me dizzy. My work was in jeopardy. I tried Topamax and it gave me my life back. The initial side effects were awful but my body slowly adjusted to them. Eventually, the dizziness went away. I now take 225 mg daily. I have some word finding and concentration problems but that sure beats 24/7 vertigo."

Scarlettsun (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "To be honest, I can't tell you if it helped with the prevention of migraines or not. I have had chronic migraines for 15 years now. They are accompanied by loss of feeling in my hands, aura, and sometimes my words come out as gibberish. I have tried just about everything from medications to natural remedies for my migraines. When my new neurologist suggested I take Topamax I thought that I would finally be rid of my migraines. I didn't even last a week on this medication though. I couldn't stand for more than thirty seconds without being dizzy and having shortness of breath. My stomach ached and I had a tingling sensation in my hands. I also had a slight fever. My doctor wanted to attribute all of these things to the start of a cold."

Kellight March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have had migraines since my first son was born nearly 27 years ago. They had become more and more frequent....almost daily. I was using the maximum amount of Maxalt that my insurance would allow. I asked my doctor for a prophylactic medication for migraines. I am now up to 100 mg of Topiramate 2 X daily. Yes there are some side effects. I have some tingling in my hands, sometimes my mouth is dry, if I don't have to work or don't have a lot planned I feel tired and lazy. I crave less sweets/ food in general...sometimes feel a little nauseated. I was losing weight (20 lbs) before starting the medication and continued after. I have stabilized at a 40lb weightloss. No other side effects. Restless legs are gone. Better sleep."

Ljray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Was on topamax 200mg 2x day for eight years. It cut back on my daily migraines. Went down to about 2-3x week. I lost 125 pounds in the first year I was on it. No appetite. Food tasted metallic, flat or just weird. I did get one kidney stone. After years of being on high dose, I started getting chest pain. My doctor took me off topamax about 7 years ago. I had bad withdrawals after weaning off, no seizures thankfully. Migraines have been daily again for last 18 months. Tried to go back on topamax but I can't tolerate it any more. After one 25mg tablet at bed time, I woke up with severe headache, dizziness and nausea. The next night I took one tablet and side effects were increased. I stopped. Side effects bad for two weeks. No thanks."

TosaTat (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Diagnosed with fibro and CFS after car accident. Began to get vertigo, light and sound sensitivity on top of all the usual symptoms. They would stay for weeks. Found out eventually it was aurora of migraine. Topamax sorted me out. No more brain fog, vertigo, audio or photo sensitivity. The tiredness also lifted, I can stay awake all day but can't over do it. Pain still there though but I feel so normal after so many years of disfunction it's unbelievable. It's like someone unscrambled me!!! I'm on 175mg. 100mg in morning, 75mg in afternoon."

Áinej (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Developed Aurora symptoms of migraine as part of diagnosis of fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue diagnosis as result of a car accident. Debilitating vertigo, light and noise sensitivity. Extreme cognitive disfunction and fatigue which were constant but the migraine came and went but would last for weeks. Eventually it just stayed and I felt like I was walking about drunk!! I was told there was nothing that could be done for me and this was part of my condition. I found topamax myself when I had reached the point where I had decided to end it all if this was it. Sad but true. Fortunately and happily I am a new women. My brain has been unscrambled! I can function again!No more hiding from the light or trying to remember why I started a sentence"

Áinej February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I was put on this medication for fibromyalgia and basilar type migraines by my neurologist in high school. I originally went off of it because I could not handle the side effects. I was then bullied by my mother & doctor into going back on to it because "it was my only option". I became face blind, could not navigate my way around even with a map, memory difficulties. issues doing simple math, became asexual & had no motivation to interact with people. Towards the end of my time on topamax I was so depressed that I would just sit despondently. I switched doctors and she immediately stopped it. The side effects went away after stopping the first time but after the 4yrs on it I still have some side effects that haven't completely gone away."

Headachpanda (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "This drug is horrible. Pros: yes, it destroys your appetite and you lose weight bc of that. You also don't enjoy food, which made me less inclined to want to cook for others (note: I am a foodie and love to cook). Cons: This drug did zero for my migraines. I take Amerge; works! I felt so foggy and "in and out" of ability the abilty to concentrate in the mornings (100mg nightly dosage). ok after 4 hrs. My mouth was literally so dry and my tongue so thick feeling, I could not get 3 syllable words out. Also, I had to grasp for words. I was losing confidence in my own performance and others commented on my lack of "snap." This was after a YEAR! Short term memory was shot, perhaps bc of "in and out" concentration. Hair! Had to get extensions!"

TMS2625 February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "When I first started topamax I couldn't notice the side effects except for the tingling in my hands, feet and face. I thought it would go away with time but here I am 2 years later and it is still happening. This medication also prevented my migraines at first, then I had to be put in the hospital for 5 days to get treatment about 6 months ago, and now they are back again. If you miss even one dose you get a whole new set of side effects as if you started the medicine that day! Before I took this medicine my hair was so thick, and I never really noticed the hair loss side effect until now because my hair is falling out in chunks. Topamax also caused me to get kidney stones and be hospitalized for a month. The only good thing is I lost 50lbs"

ge304 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "It worked, but the side effects were terrible, lasting and possibly permanent. The worst of the side effects I experienced were lack of taste and short-term memory loss. Over two years after taking this medication, I have still having issues with my short-term memory."

eparker726 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was in a car accident with a head injury. I had intractable migraine and other headaches that came and went daily on top of that and three months after the accident my neurologist offered Topamax. It's been 9 months. I lost a lot of hair; I have the soda is flat thing; the pins and needles; and I have lost weight. I think the brain fog was not noticable because of the brain injury. It took care of my headaches immediately. I didn't mind the side effects. I ran out of it once and on day two had a seizure. I tried to titrate off recently and the migraine returned with a vengeance so I am still going to be taking it. I don't mind the side effects in comparison to the headache. Also-I use hypnosis for some of the side effects."

Serenitynemememe February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I had been taking Topamax for a year, but have just taken myself off due to excessive hair loss, loss of concentration and memory, and sleep problems. My hair was falling out by the handfuls every day, and the concentration and memory loss were preventing me from working as I am a translator. I have been on propranolol 160 mg daily for 2 years now, and have had good results from that with not too many side effects. I take rizatriptan when I do get a migraine and it stops it usually. If it doesn't I take Fioricet as well and that works."

Annabelleblue February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "The topamax worked great for my migraines, the bad part is that it causes kidney stones."

Jamcc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Miracle drug! The side effects can be daunting at first, like tingling/numbness in extremities that won't stop for hours, but if you increase your water intake substantially and power through, it's totally worth it. My daily tension headaches are 90% gone, which is huge for me. It didn't do much in terms of overall muscle pain reduction or the daily body aches, but I did lose over 30 pounds in four months. I stopped drinking all carbonated drinks (because it makes them all taste super flat weirdly) and definitely am not as hungry as I used to be, so that's just a bonus."

Lynn Y. January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "I started taking this medication as soon as I was diagnosed with an inherited seizure disorder. Although I haven't had a seizure ever since I began to take the medication (which is good because the meds are working) the side effects were horrible. I would often feel very disoriented and saw a great amount of weight loss. This may not apply to everyone because everyone is different, but that was my experience with this medication."

nathalie2697 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bulimia "Update: this is an update to the previous review, see below. I have been on topiramate and 20 mg prozac since 3 plus years now. I have been tapering on and off all meds and have to say the combo 20 mg prozac with 100 mg topiramate twice daily does work best. It is not perfect, but I am better. Since I am still quite symptomatic I will have an upcoming visit yet another psychiater who is screening ,me for adult add. There is a possibility that if this is the case a stimulant might actually help me out (after 35 years of treatment refractory anorexia and bulimia nervosa). I keep updated."

Ms treatment resistant (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I got put on Topamax about 3 years ago, I felt it wasn't helping with my migraines so I took myself off. Then I had a seizure because I didn't have it. So I started back on it and had no luck with migraines. I quit taking it again and more seizures. Ever since I've been on it I have had seizures and they are not in my family at all."

KaylaMichelle January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Have taken 10mg Topamax for 4 months, I thought I had found a preventative but after 3 months my hair was shedding more then usual. Thought I was stressed out and overwhelmed with small kiddos and hubby deployed, my dermatologist didn't see anything very serious, like alopecia, so I continued. I began taking biotin and vitamins, but hair still kept coming out and scalp was starting to show more. I stopped completely and only lasted 4 days before a migraine wanted to come on. Luckily I took a rizatriptan in time to fight it off. Topamax worked beside the side effects of hair loss, forgetfulness, some leg cramps. Has anyone had any luck with another migraine preventative?"

Dmp1 January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "I did/am experiecing the tingling everyday in my fingers, I am not hungry. I did have the brain fog to where I wouldn't drive. I wouldn't make any decisions about anything without talking it over with someone I trusted first. I am now up to 75 in the morning and at bedtime and I still have the tingling but the fog has been lifted the headaches are SO much less BUT I have only lost 3 pounds. Can't seem to stop smoking even with this. Still hoping this will help with the smoking. Wish me luck"

Still here December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I loved this medication until it gave me stroke like side effects. The side effects kept getting worst to the point where I couldn't stand up, grasp anything, I talked funny and even messed with my throat to the point of chocking. It is a very dangerous drug with crazy side effects, not worth it. I did loose weight about 15 pounds, because I was never hungry while taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have only been on it for about 6 days and already seen a incredible difference. I had a headache everyday for a year and a half and got bad migraine about 2-3 times a week. I have not had a migraine yet and my everyday headache has calm down. When I first started it did make me very drowsy but that went away as I got use to it"

allison82802 December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Works well with combine with medical Marijuana. I take them at night 2 in the morning. It let's me be able to sleeps at night. I wasn't able to lay down after a fail MVD operations. Since I started the Brand name topomax it help me a great deal."

Elisabelle December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I've been on this for over a year. Works very well. I have one side affect, tingling in my feet. I eat alot of greens and bananas to help with that. I lost 45 lbs because of it as well. I take Vitamin B-12 to help with my memory because of the seizure meds...like every seizure meds can affect your memory."

Annloss1970 November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Been on this for just a week now at 25 mg also on 50 mg of amitriptalyne of a night. The first few days I felt really spaced out, but sort of kept coming in waves through the day. I also suffer from m.e as well but have found the past few days I have had lots of energy. I don't feel tired at all. Supposed to up dose to 50 mgs on second week, but I'm thinking may stick to the 25 for a little while to see how things go. No migraines up to now. Reading all the reviews most of the side effects seem to come when the dose is increased. Really worried about the hair loss business, don't think I could deal with that one . Think I'm going to give this a go for a few months and see how things go, it's all trial and error, or kill or cure."

Krissies November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have been taking 75mg topamax one a day for about 10 years now. I have gone as far as taking 100mg until I started not being able to get the words out that I was thinking of. That side effect has not completely gone away but is better. When I first started I did have the tingling in my hands and feet but it was no more than like having carpal tunnel, I also have the weird taste where soda tasted flat and tomatos tastes weird. I did loose a little weight. The tingeling went away, I adjusted to just not drinking soda. And tomatos started to taste fine. I also take Sumatriptan for when I still do get a headache. However the headaches are much fewer and further beteeen. I will get a cluster of them about every six mths but still better."

Jenn K November 15, 2016