User Reviews for Topamax (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Topamax.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Vulvodynia

Smoking Cessation

Summary of Topamax reviews 6.6 427 reviews

Reviews for Topamax

For Migraine Prevention "When I first went on Topamax, I thought it was a miracle. I had just been diagnosed withIdiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) after 9 months of what we had previously thought was a constant migraine. Topamax was the first drug that really made a dent in the pain. However the side effects were... a lot. -at first I could barely eat (for about a month) -the brain fog slowly took me over, turning me into a zombie -the tingling was never just my hands and feet, but my arms, legs, face, and back as well. -I had vision issues, including always seeing a circle in the middle of my vision, eyes opened or closed -I had hallucinations whenever I woke up in the dark Worst of all, the drugs would help for a week or two, then the pain would come back until I increased the dose."

LindsayMcD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "The drug would get a 10 as it worked miraculously for me. In my case -- and this probably won't happen to you -- the medication caused me kidney stones, the first of which was agonizing and led me to stop using the medication. Then the headaches resumed. I was willing to take an occasional Kidney Stone attack as a tradeoff for frequent migraine so I went back on the drug knowing the risks. Unfortunately, I peed gravel constantly, oddly without pain, but it was a warning. I'm now off the drug. If it did not cause me that side effect, I would have remained on the medication as it was, again, close to 100 percent effective. Not everyone responds the same way; your experience will probably be different."

Mark B. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "Switched to this after getting a nasty mouth rash from Lamictal--and would rather have that that than all the stuff I have to deal with from Topamax... 24/7 EXHAUSTION, breakthrough seizures daily, horrible horrible memory loss (will have taken my medication and no more than 10 minutes later have to count all the tiny things to see if I've taken that half days dose). Living a miserable life on this medication, cannot wait to get onto something else. Tried to give this a chance and it gave me nothing but a terrible time, almost like being unmedicated with a constant dead leg&arm, UGH. I'm a small person in general so the weight loss was not a welcome change either. Topamax does nothing!!! for my complex partials seizures or epilepsy."

mygcem May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I've been taking this med for almost 10 yrs now. I started when I was 18 it was the first drug my Dr tried...I am almost 28 and I am so upset looking back that I didn't ask more q's or realize that this was the issue. I started at a min dose but I was eventually up to 300mg/day. I thought nothing of this because if the Dr wasn't worried, why should I be? I had been to 3 different Dr that never asked me if at that dose I was having memory problems, etc. I don't remember anyone telling me the major side effect was memory problems, brain fog, etc no kids... I went through college thinking there was something wrong with me My new Dr has put me on something else that is safe if my husband and I get pregnant. She also was in shock that for migraine prevention I was taking such a big dose."

Bella521 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "5/1/2017 - I was on Bystolic for BP treatment and it caused me to gain 30lbs. I suspect the high blood pressure was due to use of e-cigarette. I put the e-cig and the bystolic down!! Dr. put me on Topamax 100mg and Wellbuterin 300mg help with the headaches and weight loss. As I ramped up from 25mg to 50mg of Topamax I noticed significant changes in my behavior as did others. I cried continuously and at the most ridiculous things. I was short tempered and wanted to be left alone (to cry). Side notes..it made my face feel numb, carbonated drinks tasted funny, vision was funky and did zero for weightloss. As a mom of 4, I can't continue this medication. 30-40lb weight loss is not worth living this way. "

BusyMomof4 May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Now in my late 50's, I have been a lifelong migraine sufferer. My new neurologist recommended Topamax (FDA approved for migraine therapy). I am going on week 3 with promising results...for the first time in years I am waking up to no headaches and am not getting headaches as the day wears on. I'm sleeping better. I am experiencing a slight problem with focus/concentration but am told that this side effect should subside over time. Providing the side effects are minimal and non-intrusive, I can see staying on this medication-I'm hopeful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "ONLY 25mg/day 2nd try. Lasted 3 days. Whoa just whoa! Within 1 hour my pain lessened but side effects were already producing. First my vision got really distorted. I couldn't focus on command at all. Then my bottom lip wouldn't stop tingling with a numb feeling. I got extremely dizzy, felt out of it. So I thought let me lay down. Feel asleep 15 min.. Woke up thought an hour passed was completely out of it. Whole left side of face felt palsy completely numb. Tingling/numbness arms, hands, legs + feet. Next day visual less but symptoms still there. Then the suicidal thoughts and worthlessness came. I made it one more day. Missed a day. And took following day. I can't do anything on it. Comatosed n psychiatric mind games. DONE!! I'm better w/o it"

Dest1979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity "I weighed 230 pounds and felt like a cow.. I started off on 25 mg 1x a day and noticed no change. So asked doc to change me to 100 mg twice a day. I just take the 200mg at once. That's when I finally noticed a change. I've lost 45 pounds in 6 months! I'm continuing to lose and my goal weight is 160 since I'm tall so only 25 more pounds to go. I noticed at first pop tasted different but now it tastes fine. I used to love beer but now I don't want it..which is fine since it's so fattening lol. I only eat once or twice a day and the carb cravings are gone. I don't exercise much at all. I have no side effects at all. I'm so glad I found this medication it really has been a miracle. :)"

Miracle1Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines in 2010 and I had severe 24/7 vertigo. I always had "regular" migraines since I was a teen, but after an infection of the inner ear in 2010, my migraines changed and I had both pain and vertigo. For one year I had constant vertigo and I honestly thought I would become housebound. I could not go to theatres, malls, stores, or any areas with lots of people because crowds would make me dizzy. My work was in jeopardy. I tried Topamax and it gave me my life back. The initial side effects were awful but my body slowly adjusted to them. Eventually, the dizziness went away. I now take 225 mg daily. I have some word finding and concentration problems but that sure beats 24/7 vertigo."

Scarlettsun (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "To be honest, I can't tell you if it helped with the prevention of migraines or not. I have had chronic migraines for 15 years now. They are accompanied by loss of feeling in my hands, aura, and sometimes my words come out as gibberish. I have tried just about everything from medications to natural remedies for my migraines. When my new neurologist suggested I take Topamax I thought that I would finally be rid of my migraines. I didn't even last a week on this medication though. I couldn't stand for more than thirty seconds without being dizzy and having shortness of breath. My stomach ached and I had a tingling sensation in my hands. I also had a slight fever. My doctor wanted to attribute all of these things to the start of a cold."

Kellight March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have had migraines since my first son was born nearly 27 years ago. They had become more and more frequent....almost daily. I was using the maximum amount of Maxalt that my insurance would allow. I asked my doctor for a prophylactic medication for migraines. I am now up to 100 mg of Topiramate 2 X daily. Yes there are some side effects. I have some tingling in my hands, sometimes my mouth is dry, if I don't have to work or don't have a lot planned I feel tired and lazy. I crave less sweets/ food in general...sometimes feel a little nauseated. I was losing weight (20 lbs) before starting the medication and continued after. I have stabilized at a 40lb weightloss. No other side effects. Restless legs are gone. Better sleep."

Ljray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Was on topamax 200mg 2x day for eight years. It cut back on my daily migraines. Went down to about 2-3x week. I lost 125 pounds in the first year I was on it. No appetite. Food tasted metallic, flat or just weird. I did get one kidney stone. After years of being on high dose, I started getting chest pain. My doctor took me off topamax about 7 years ago. I had bad withdrawals after weaning off, no seizures thankfully. Migraines have been daily again for last 18 months. Tried to go back on topamax but I can't tolerate it any more. After one 25mg tablet at bed time, I woke up with severe headache, dizziness and nausea. The next night I took one tablet and side effects were increased. I stopped. Side effects bad for two weeks. No thanks."

TosaTat (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Diagnosed with fibro and CFS after car accident. Began to get vertigo, light and sound sensitivity on top of all the usual symptoms. They would stay for weeks. Found out eventually it was aurora of migraine. Topamax sorted me out. No more brain fog, vertigo, audio or photo sensitivity. The tiredness also lifted, I can stay awake all day but can't over do it. Pain still there though but I feel so normal after so many years of disfunction it's unbelievable. It's like someone unscrambled me!!! I'm on 175mg. 100mg in morning, 75mg in afternoon."

Áinej (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "Developed Aurora symptoms of migraine as part of diagnosis of fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue diagnosis as result of a car accident. Debilitating vertigo, light and noise sensitivity. Extreme cognitive disfunction and fatigue which were constant but the migraine came and went but would last for weeks. Eventually it just stayed and I felt like I was walking about drunk!! I was told there was nothing that could be done for me and this was part of my condition. I found topamax myself when I had reached the point where I had decided to end it all if this was it. Sad but true. Fortunately and happily I am a new women. My brain has been unscrambled! I can function again!No more hiding from the light or trying to remember why I started a sentence"

Áinej February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I was put on this medication for fibromyalgia and basilar type migraines by my neurologist in high school. I originally went off of it because I could not handle the side effects. I was then bullied by my mother & doctor into going back on to it because "it was my only option". I became face blind, could not navigate my way around even with a map, memory difficulties. issues doing simple math, became asexual & had no motivation to interact with people. Towards the end of my time on topamax I was so depressed that I would just sit despondently. I switched doctors and she immediately stopped it. The side effects went away after stopping the first time but after the 4yrs on it I still have some side effects that haven't completely gone away."

Headachpanda (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "This drug is horrible. Pros: yes, it destroys your appetite and you lose weight bc of that. You also don't enjoy food, which made me less inclined to want to cook for others (note: I am a foodie and love to cook). Cons: This drug did zero for my migraines. I take Amerge; works! I felt so foggy and "in and out" of ability the abilty to concentrate in the mornings (100mg nightly dosage). ok after 4 hrs. My mouth was literally so dry and my tongue so thick feeling, I could not get 3 syllable words out. Also, I had to grasp for words. I was losing confidence in my own performance and others commented on my lack of "snap." This was after a YEAR! Short term memory was shot, perhaps bc of "in and out" concentration. Hair! Had to get extensions!"

TMS2625 February 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "When I first started topamax I couldn't notice the side effects except for the tingling in my hands, feet and face. I thought it would go away with time but here I am 2 years later and it is still happening. This medication also prevented my migraines at first, then I had to be put in the hospital for 5 days to get treatment about 6 months ago, and now they are back again. If you miss even one dose you get a whole new set of side effects as if you started the medicine that day! Before I took this medicine my hair was so thick, and I never really noticed the hair loss side effect until now because my hair is falling out in chunks. Topamax also caused me to get kidney stones and be hospitalized for a month. The only good thing is I lost 50lbs"

ge304 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "It worked, but the side effects were terrible, lasting and possibly permanent. The worst of the side effects I experienced were lack of taste and short-term memory loss. Over two years after taking this medication, I have still having issues with my short-term memory."

eparker726 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I was in a car accident with a head injury. I had intractable migraine and other headaches that came and went daily on top of that and three months after the accident my neurologist offered Topamax. It's been 9 months. I lost a lot of hair; I have the soda is flat thing; the pins and needles; and I have lost weight. I think the brain fog was not noticable because of the brain injury. It took care of my headaches immediately. I didn't mind the side effects. I ran out of it once and on day two had a seizure. I tried to titrate off recently and the migraine returned with a vengeance so I am still going to be taking it. I don't mind the side effects in comparison to the headache. Also-I use hypnosis for some of the side effects."

Serenitynemememe February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I had been taking Topamax for a year, but have just taken myself off due to excessive hair loss, loss of concentration and memory, and sleep problems. My hair was falling out by the handfuls every day, and the concentration and memory loss were preventing me from working as I am a translator. I have been on propranolol 160 mg daily for 2 years now, and have had good results from that with not too many side effects. I take rizatriptan when I do get a migraine and it stops it usually. If it doesn't I take Fioricet as well and that works."

Annabelleblue February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "The topamax worked great for my migraines, the bad part is that it causes kidney stones."

Jamcc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Miracle drug! The side effects can be daunting at first, like tingling/numbness in extremities that won't stop for hours, but if you increase your water intake substantially and power through, it's totally worth it. My daily tension headaches are 90% gone, which is huge for me. It didn't do much in terms of overall muscle pain reduction or the daily body aches, but I did lose over 30 pounds in four months. I stopped drinking all carbonated drinks (because it makes them all taste super flat weirdly) and definitely am not as hungry as I used to be, so that's just a bonus."

Lynn Y. January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "I started taking this medication as soon as I was diagnosed with an inherited seizure disorder. Although I haven't had a seizure ever since I began to take the medication (which is good because the meds are working) the side effects were horrible. I would often feel very disoriented and saw a great amount of weight loss. This may not apply to everyone because everyone is different, but that was my experience with this medication."

nathalie2697 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bulimia "Update: this is an update to the previous review, see below. I have been on topiramate and 20 mg prozac since 3 plus years now. I have been tapering on and off all meds and have to say the combo 20 mg prozac with 100 mg topiramate twice daily does work best. It is not perfect, but I am better. Since I am still quite symptomatic I will have an upcoming visit yet another psychiater who is screening ,me for adult add. There is a possibility that if this is the case a stimulant might actually help me out (after 35 years of treatment refractory anorexia and bulimia nervosa). I keep updated."

Ms treatment resistant (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I got put on Topamax about 3 years ago, I felt it wasn't helping with my migraines so I took myself off. Then I had a seizure because I didn't have it. So I started back on it and had no luck with migraines. I quit taking it again and more seizures. Ever since I've been on it I have had seizures and they are not in my family at all."

KaylaMichelle January 6, 2017