User Reviews for Botox

Botox has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 382 ratings on Drugs.com. 49% of those users who reviewed Botox reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Strabismus   10.0
Chronic Spasticity   3.8
Summary of Botox reviews 5.8 382 reviews

Reviews for Botox

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

For Urinary Incontinence: “Had 20 injections twice. Second time, worked for two weeks then incontinence returned. Very disappointed. Don’t know what else to do”

Happymum January 25, 2021

For Urinary Frequency: “I used to pee about hourly and about 5-6 times a night. Botox suggested. Had botox and ended on toilet every 5-10 minutes. Warned to expect frequency. Hours later crippled in pain from continual peeing then had blood in urine. Had ultrasound of bladder to measure residual urine which showed 60ml residual after peeing. My bladder holds 50-70ml. Needed catheter to give me some rest. Went home with indwelling catheter. No antibiotics before or after botox. 2 weeks later now 2-3 bags of blood each day in bag. No visibility in bag due to blood and stringy clots 4 days in a row. Told nothing to worry about at local hospital, antibiotics injected and got tablets for bladder infection. Wishing I was never pushed to try botox by Urologist. Returning to remove catheter for 1 day in a few days, to see if successful & teach self cathing. This means toileting 15min - 1/2 hour and 1-2 hours at night with self cathing. Would not recommend botox for bladder issues requiring bladder surgery.”

blue-sky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

For Migraine: “I got Botox for headaches after I had Deviated Septum Surgery for which I was having daily headaches and weekly migraines. I never had headaches before in my life until I had Deviated Septum Surgery. My swollen nose and frontal sinus were/are inflamed and therefore have a headache everyday. I became desperate for relief as I had tried every migraine and headache medicine and nothing was working. Even went to the ER a couple times and nothing they gave me helped. Well, Botox doesn't help either. It hasn't lessened the pain, it hasn't minimized the # of headaches I get. It hasn't done squat. All it does is feel like I have 5 extra pounds in my head. Never again. I had high hopes for this. Sadly, it did nothing for me.”

suzilla · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 4, 2021

For Cervical Dystonia: “I have Cervical Dystonia from a spinal cord compression from a fall 3 years ago. I had an amazing pain management doctor to help me with my diagnosis and began botox as soon as my insurance approved it. I switched to xeomin (not much better) when it comes to post injection side effects. The injections themselves do not hurt but 3 days after the injections the spasms, swelling and pain are unbearable for about 2 weeks. They do help in the long run but the frequency can cause "injection fatigue" for those of us who don't tolerate the toxin..”

Darcy January 1, 2021

For Urinary Incontinence: “I just recently went through the Botox procedure for Over Active Bladder. This has been wonderful for me! I no longer need to worry about accidents. The procedure was done as an outpatient. I encourage anyone who is experiencing OAB to seek help.”

JD · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

For Cervical Dystonia: “On November 26, 2020 I received Botox injections for cervical dystopia. Two days after injections my head felt like it was to heavy to hold up. My neck, shoulder snd right scapula experienced extreme pain more than I had before. Now 26 days later right side of my neck and shoulder still very sore unable to keep up my normal routine. I will not do this treatment again and hopefully once this stuff wears off this pain will dissipate. Wish it had been a better experience.”

SummerBlake · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 20, 2020

For Migraine: “Botox is one of the only things besides heavy opioid pain medication (which I don’t want to take again) that actually helps me live with my migraine headaches. My migraines stem from my severe TMJ disorder, so most likely they are caused by muscle and sinus tightness and pressure stemming from my dysfunctional jaw joint. However, they present life regular migraines, and they’re terrible. If I used botox somewhat regularly (injections every 3-4 months) it is so much better; from headaches every day and migraines 4+ times. Week, to maybe 1-2 mild headaches a week and 1 migraine a month. I have tried everything else — steroid injections, all the migraine medications, heavy painkillers (which work but they’re addictive and have side effects), muscle relaxers, physical therapy, ortho, teeth pulled, mouth guards and on and on. Botox is a life saver for me. It’s the only thing that truly helps.”

Arden December 9, 2020

For Cervical Dystonia: “I was diagnosed with cervical dystonia in 2009 and started having Botox injections every 3 months, initially I was getting a little relief, I needed a neck fusion a few years ago. Now my life is a nightmare occasionally I get Botox injections out of desperation but for me they’re only making me worse. Works for some, not me.”

catlet1066 · Taken for 10 years or more November 14, 2020

For Cervical Dystonia: “I have had cervical dystonia for 28 years. Initially the pain in my head was so bad I was hospitalized. But after getting botox, for the most part it is ok. The key in my experience has been the quality of the neurologist administering it. I have had many. Mapping is essential. But then it necessary to know exactly where in the mapped muscle to inject. A well trained doctor can do this by feel. Others resort to EMG machines, which adds unnecessary pain. Many just guess and shoot. Botox is too dangerous and expensive to use haphazardly. It is a terrific remedy when done properly. I get 400 units every 3 1/2 months. But I just lost my excellent neurologist to Covid and the new one has no sense of where to inject. I supplement with massage therapy which helps my neck and back, but not head pain. Drugs did nothing or had horrendous side affects. Thinking of trying LLLT (cold laser). Anyone have experience with this?”

Fi November 6, 2020

For Overactive Bladder: “I've been having bladder botox for several years now under general anaesthetic. I've had bad experiences with other procedures and opted for general anaesthetic. It has been a life changed for me after needing to go to the toilet up to 17 times a day. No side effects other than first couple of weeks needing to really push out to clear the bladder. But this passed. I'm glad I went for general anaesthetic as my Dad went for local and had to stop as too painful and he's got a high pain threshold. Good luck to you all”

Borderlinelove · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 22, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I’ve been receiving Botox for migraines for almost 4 years now. My first neurologist was horrible and it hurt so bad. My second neurologist was AMAZING at doing botox and though it still hurt it was over quickly and she was wonderful at distracting me. Before botox I was having 2-4 migraines a week and often times they’d put me in the ER. Twice I’ve had seizures from a migraine. I’d say the botox has cut my migraines down by about 70%. It takes about a week or two to take effect. And wears off usually around week 10. But those 8-9 weeks are totally worth it. It had been a huge change for my life.”

Lp · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “It has been 15 months since my only botox injections of 151 units. My headache is 1000 times worse than before the botox. No meds help. Lost about a foot of my hair. Nauseous anxiety insomnia chest pains ringing in ears feels like boa constrictors is squeezing my arms hard to swallow. It took my happiness away. Can't even get a botulism poison test. U have to go thru the CDC. And if you're not on a ventiltor at the ER then no test. The doctors lie to us to line their pockets and we are thrown to the curb. How do they sleep at night?”

Michelle August 26, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I have chronic migraine with aura and without treatment I have 20+ migraines a month. I've tried a heap of other treatments and nothing has ever helped as well as botox. It usually reduces them by about half and they are less painful. Medicare in my country will pay for it every 12 weeks, however, I find that the effect wears off at around 10 weeks. I get a lot of migraines during the gap. For a week or so after treatment I still have bad migraines until it kicks in. I also get anxiety and body aches, heavy fatigue, kind of like I'm getting a flu. But after about 10 days it starts to resolve reasonably quickly and I have a much better quality of life. For me it's worth it, even though there are a few bad weeks every 3 months. A few times I've ended up with slightly uneven eyebrows, but nothing too obvious. I wouldn't want it done by a neurologist who wasn't skilled at it though, as it won't work if it's not in the right spots and could be dangerous.”

Lulu August 23, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “So I received about 4 rounds of Botox for my migraines. Around after my second time getting it I noticed the front of my hair (in front of my ears) began to curl excessively. I naturally have curly hair but the roots are usually not curly/frizzy. The front section of my hair began to become kinky and VERY dry. Nothing is wrong with this type of hair but I have 2 different curl patterns on my head with a noticeable difference in patterns. I consulted multiple hair dressers and they all came up with the same thing, it must be the Botox. I have tried multiple different products, different styling techniques, and treatments but the front section of my hair is a frizzy which doesn't match the rest of my hair. My last treatment of Botox was 4 months ago and I do NOT plan on getting it again. Has this happened to any other curly girls/anyone in general? BTW it did somewhat help with my migraines but due to my hair situation I decided not to continue this.”

skylight August 22, 2020

For Urinary Frequency: “I have had Botox surgery 2 times in a year for urinary issues, but do not find the results to be that great. I have a lot of UTI's and have to use a catheter all the time. It has helped some so probably will continue with Botox in future. I do not think the drug works as well as it should or does not work as advertised.”

Horseless July 26, 2020

For Overactive Bladder: “Female, 80. 3 single births within 2-1/2 yrs, the 1st being largest, 8 lb, 10 oz. Over the years, diagnosed with urge incontinence, stress incontinence & OAB. Sling surgery earlier this year for stress incontinence - has worked like a miracle for coughing/sneezing but nothing else. Meds didn't do much for urge or OAB (sample Myrbetriq/too $$, a few months of oxybutynin, then trospium). Botox about 3-1/2 wks ago. Was very uncomfortable and post-op, pain was intensifying. I started suspecting UTI and was correct. Probably caused by leaky bowel (an entire another problem!) since culture showed e.coli. Now that that's cleared up, I can evaluate the Botox procedure as being 50%-75% successful. Fewer pads, less laundry and overall more comfortable. My urologist said treatment should last 6-9 months. As of now, will repeat. Am glad I did not research it prior to surgery. I believe the failures posted would have made me very hesitant. I am so sorry for those who went through pain and failure.”

Bobbi · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2020

For Urinary Incontinence: “My 1st Botox treatment for urinary incontinence has been so very successful, What a life changer! Removing the stress of finding restrooms or wearing pads has given me freedom and peace of mind. A lovely miracle.”

Shellie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2020

For Migraine: “Botox mitigates most of the headaches, but there is that pain in the back of the eye thing still going on and the tenderness on the side of the head (right). I still get a breakthrough full-on migraine about once a week. I have just been prescribed a new medicine to back up the Botox when the full-on ones come. I have had migraines for about 35 years and have tried a lot of different meds (they really liked fiorinol for the longest time. The barbituates were hard to deal with). The Botox has worked the best at taking away a lot of the headache effects and allowing me to use my day more the way I want to. I also use a bio feedback/meditation for chronic pain. I guess as long as it works, go for it!”

Mojo · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Cervical Dystonia: “I had my first round of neck botox injections around 10 days. I had moderate neck and shoulder pain for months. The doctor which I saw recommend botox without mentioning anything about side effects. Now my neck is too stiff with limited mobility. Also, I am experiencing swallowing difficulties occasionally. Overall, my neck feels weak all the time. My doctor is now suggesting physiotherapy with hot/ice packs everyday. I hope this disappears fast and not in months. I am done with botex for good.”

Dental · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

For Urinary Frequency: “I'm a relatively healthy 29 year old male and botox did nothing to help my over active bladder and urge incontinence, I had 100 units of botox injected, about 6 weeks ago and the only thing it has done for me is that it is more difficult to empty my bladder, I really have to push it out. So I feel like if I do have another treatment with more units, it seems like I wouldn't be able to pass anything and will have to use a catheter like others have explained which I'm not ok with. Back to physio training and seeing how that goes, bit of a waste of money the botox was but worth a try”

Nicky · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

For Cervical Dystonia: “I had botox injections into my neck supposedly to help cervical dystonia and I have found no difference at all.”

Rainmaker · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

For Migraine: “I tried Botox several times as administered from a Migraine Specialist/Neurologist. It didn't help at all.”

Turkeylady3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 29, 2020

For Urinary Frequency: “I have to update after reading many reviews everyone’s different It is very uncomfortable while being injected but since it works that’s all that matters Yes I have to self cath not easy for women but as I told my doc in check up it’s so worth it I never want to go back to the need to find the closest bathroom everywhere I go Or get up 4 times a night to urinate Bottom line it gave me my life back. So in my opinion it’s worth the discomfort and the cathing”

GG February 26, 2020

For Urinary Frequency: “It is my experience as a health care professional that I would never advise botox for the bladder. The bladder is a muscle, therefore you use a stimulant not a product that stops muscle activity. Most patients never been asked to measure their urine when the urinate. Frequency doesn't mean quantity. I treat patients with acupuncture and it works.”

Peachk · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 18, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Used Botox successfully for several years now for migraines. It cut the number of migraines I have each month in half & the ones I do have tend to be less painful & don't last as long. It was really after the 2nd set of Botox shots that I saw real pain reduction. The worst side effect I have is that the shots themselves give me a horrible headache. It's not a migraine but really hurts. For the headache caused by the Botox shots I have tried a Toradol shot (didn't work) and steroids. Those help but they do have side effects so I try to only use them for 1 day. I also ice the sore areas & take Tylenol. One time my eyebrow looked a little arched (for about 2 mos) so I told the PA and she altered the placement the next time. That worked. I also bring an ice pack to the appointment & put it on my forehead after the shots to cut down on bruising. Shots are very much worth it for the migraine reduction they provide.”