User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Botox to treat Migraine Prevention

"Just got my first set of Botox injections yesterday And the experience was easy and I was definitely pleased my doctor took her time with each injection and before I knew I was done"

Annbell April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been getting the injections for over a year. Takes about 4-7 days to kick in. Take it easy the first few days or your neck will hurt!! I will say that after a year of it working with no headaches-I have started to get mild headaches again. Everyone should at least try it if you have bad migraines-it saved me."

Amesme (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had classic migraine (with and without aura) since I was 8 or 9 years old. 30 years of regular intense pain. They increased until I was having 8 major migraines a month with about 20 days pain each month. I have been on Botox injections (31 every 3 months in forehead, scalp and shoulders) and had only one 'big' migraine in the 3 month cycle! Probably down to 5 days of noticeable pain a month I.e need to lie down or sleep. Has been amazing for my migraines. I guess it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth discussing with your neurologist."

Nakka15 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Migraine suffer for 12 years; used Botox for 1.5 years (32 shots in my forehead, scalp, neck & shoulders) until last injunction in July 2016 caused Bells Palsy, blurry vision and loss of hearing all on the right side. It's been 7 months and droopy face is better, but vision and hearing have not returned. Neurologist said should return by 6 months or most likely permanent. I had to pay $1200 a quarter to lose my sight and hearing! Never use Botox...not worth it."

Indymigraine January 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had used Botox injections for migraines and they WORK, not only is the Botox a temporary paralysis in the muscles but in the nerve endings as well and thus reduced and/or lessened pain. Then there is the added perks of smoothing lines in the face (as the face is the only place on the body where the muscles are attached to our skin, thus the temporary paralysis causes the wrinkles to dissipate)"

Ticoune December 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Getting 100 units in 9 shots on my head wasn't a lot of fun. But I haven't had a headache since. It's only been 4 days, but my neck was sore today and I should have had a doozy of a headache. My eyelids drooped a little after the shots, but my wife didn't notice. I've got a good feeling about this. If I get through this weekend without pain, I'll be sold."

ripp846 December 16, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had chronic migraines for almost 20 years. Clusters that would go on for weeks at a time. I tried Botox and I was very sore across my shoulders and neck for the first week and a half. My head felt so heavy. I didn't get a migraine for two weeks. I can't remember the last time I could say that. The decrease in severity Is worth it. I have a skilled neurologist and thrilled with him and Botox. Ps didn't help with my wrinkles at all"

Lisa, chronic migraines (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just had my fourth Botox injection for migraine. So far it's helping. The migraines haven't been eliminated, but they've been reduced in number and severity, and there are more days between clusters of headache days. I STRONGLY recommend going to a headache specialist or neurologist for an evaluation before trying this. Botox works best for migraines that involve involuntary tightening of the tiny muscles in the forehead, temples, and along the "migraine band" on the sides of the head. If those aren't contributing to a person's migraines, then Botox is unlikely to work. Be forewarned that getting needles stuck in your tender scalp does hurt, some days more than others. My neurologist prescribed a topical anesthetic cream for next time."

WillametteBearcat December 2, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my third set of Botox 3 weeks ago. It has done wonders to my severe neuralgia and Paroxysmal hemicrania. I had some side effects the first two sets (3 months apart) but they went away after about 10-12 days and I have been 90% pain free. I was getting up to 9-12 attacks a day lasting about an hour each, and lost my job as a result. This last set has produced terrible side effects: Headaches on forehead (Banding), severe shoulder pain, very puffy right eye, chronic skin rash on my back, occipital area of neck, and upper arms. Large red welts that burn and itch. It has now been prevailing for over a week.... I also have inflamed intercostal muscles especially around my sternum and it id incredibly painful."

Anonymous November 23, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Within six hours of receiving the injections the side effects began to take control over my body. Every side effect mention I had it, including the migraine headaches. The medications should wear off by the next three weeks. To date, I am still feeling the side effects. I would not recommend Botox for two reasons, 1. The medication does not freeze the nerve as stated. 2. It is extremely expensive. The pharmaceutical company should be sueded!!!!!!!!!"

Very disappointed November 8, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had Botox treatments for my migraines for about a year and a half. I was thrilled as it completely took away my migraines and I had no side effects. I had my life back. Then last August I went to get my regular 3 month injections at 4 p.m. By 7 p.m. that evening I experiencing dizziness. By the next day I had a severe headache, next pain, dizziness, trouble swallowing, pain in my shoulders, etc. It was terrible. My doctor told me he didn't think it was from the Boxtox, but that I probably caught a virus at the same time I got the shots. Seriously? Here I am, 3 months later, and I can hardly hold up my head. I have headaches, shoulder pain, neck pain, pain and numbness going down my arms. The dizziness has never gone away."

Xina717 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The Botox not only was highly ineffective for me, but also left me with horrible neck and shoulder pain. My first Botox was over a year ago, a week after that I woke up with a frozen neck and shoulders pain. I was waiting for the 3 months mark for a relief, but it never came. It seems that the muscles that were injected became paralyzed and other ones started overcompensating, and thus became very tight and painful. Neck MRI came normal. 4 months ago I was talked again into the Botox and the neck pain got only worse. On top of that I am having this horrid nerve-like pain on the left side of my head. Besides, the Botox never helped with my migraines. So please be careful, cause you may end up worse than before..with a new kind of pain."

Lanikai86 October 6, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was having migraines for 3 years almost daily in summer! Horrible, lived on Imitrex and xanax. My neurologist suggested Botox . First round after the injections I had discomfort really burning in back below my neck. I kept putting heat on it and it was gone in 3 weeks. I also did not like the side effect of my eyebrows going up from botox! My husband said I looked like I was shocked all the time or sometimes a devil! Maybe 1 mild migraine after that! Day I was due for 2nd round I had an excruciating headache before botox shots. Dr went ahead with botox and by days end migraine was gone! This was 2 weeks ago and not 1 migraine. I also asked him not to inject above my eyebrows so he injected in between eyes. Doing wonderful!!!"

Tamnik September 28, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had botox injections for migraines almost a month ago and am still wearing a neck brace. For the first seven days, I had excruciating head pain, migraines, and neck pain. I felt like my neck was on fire. I called my doc office, Michigan Head Pain & Neurological Institute (MHNI), and was told that is a common side effect and should fade after 5-10 days. The pain was unbearable. My physical therapist is the one who told me my neck muscles are not contracting which is causing all the other smaller muscles to be strained from trying to support my head. It's absolutely terrible. After almost a month and still no relief. Never again! Still wearing a neck brace daily. MHNI says its a rare but possible side effect. Have to wait for it to wear off"

Michigan810 (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible migraine hours following treatment. Started out like someone hit me in back of the head with a baseball bat. Then the horrible nonstop headache set in. Ended up at ER the first day because nothing stopped pain. Woke up the next day with excruciating headache. Worse than any of my terrible daily migraines. The neurologist did not call back. Long story short. Went to ER 2x in 5 days. Neurologist was completely unhelpful and never spoke with me. After 6th day I barely made it thru work. There is severe cramping in neck and in between shoulders. Where the muscles were paralyzed the other muscles in the area are over compensating for the "Botoxed" areas. I WILL NEVER again do Botox. It made a bad situation completely unbearable"

Do NOT USE BOTOX September 22, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"1st Botox shots 11/2015. Wasn't able to get another tx until 10 days ago. The 1st time it was great! Migraines down to about 2/mo. Loved it! This time the day after I woke w/back of neck very painful. Worse was pain in the back of head. Felt like hit w/a 2x4. Very bad headache too. It was horrible. I get pain med for other issues & it did nothing. Head swolIen, tight glasses. Some pain in my L shoulder down arm. It asted 5 days, in bed w/heating pad. 7th day worst pain gone but need hand under chin or on back of head to control head movement due to weak neck. Don't wake w/neck pain, but it starts after moving a bit. If I'm on my feet, dizzy. Weak jaws when eating or drinking. Head turns only 2" to L or R side. Weak upper arms. Never again."

LuvBluSkyz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Botox, in short, gave me my life back. It's literally a life saver."

Ausy711 July 26, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only treatment that has cured my migraines and I've tried everything from oral medications to trigger point injections,cervical injections and anything else in between to relieve constant life changing migraines.The headaches dimished by the next day and until the Botox wears off ,about 12 weeks or so I don't have any,which is a miracle.I only wish I was given this sooner. It also only cost 80.00 out of pocket every three months. Another nice bonus or perk is any wrinkles you may have on your forehead ,in between your eyes, etc. are gone as well. This isn't a permanent medication either,with minimal side effects,better than most of the pills out there.If it doesn't work it can just be stopped and not injected again."

SamanthaSunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The side effects are horrible and I still have my migraines. Dont do it."

JenZ21 July 8, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Never ever try Botox again! The first 3 wks I couldn't hold my head up., my arms were weak., vision blurry, sore throat, droopy right eye. Very depressing to totally be incompasitated! It was a big deal to get thru a shower and dress myself! Never again! Now at three weeks out, I'm light headed, still having hard time keeping my head up. Have started back to headaches for past week. They seem different in the sense I haven't had a visual aura., but the top of my head feels likes it going to pop off. The pain in my temple is the same. I've wasted an entire month! Been house bound!"

Jewels60 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with migraines at 19, and there has been a steady increase in frequency and severity as I aged. At 49 they became intractable and I ended up on disability. Botox became the last option. It's been nothing short of a miracle. My cluster and ice pick ha's stopped, I've had only two throbbing migraines in 4 mos, and my photosensitivity has improved. It took about 10 days for it to kick in the first time. The pokes of the injections are a very small price to pay for the benefit I've seen."

TCBug June 18, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For the first time in 50 years, I have relief from migraines, since using botox. I have a life now. I can make plans. For the first 4-5 days after botox, I hurt from the injections, my neck hurts, but then I feel great for almost 3 months. It's not 100% as I still get migraines but, they come less frequently and last for a shorter time. I would tell people that it worth trying. A little bit of pain for 12 weeks almost pain free. I love it. It has changed my life."

Shear Bear (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 4, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In 2004 I began to have migraines which grew progressively worse over time. After years of daily bouts with migraines that were at a 7 out of 10 on good days (not to mention that I couldnt take triptans because they gave me chest pains) my local VA began offering this new treatment called Botox and I was approved for it. I'm not 'cured' by any means but my life somewhat resembles a life now for a few hours a week. My good days are few but I am grateful for what I can get. I still get horrible migraines but I'll take several migraines per week vs. several per day. It reminds me not to waste my time when I have it; I I try to get stuff done. So I say to anyone, give it a try. It may or may not work for you but you should at least give it go."

Cynotusk (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had a mixture of Trigeminal Neuralgia and Cluster Migraines. (Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania) for 14 years. Have tried every single medication available and even had a Caudal Nueroplasty done 1 month ago. Nothing worked. Had severe pains up to 8 times a day all lasting around 40 minutes. Two weeks ago I had Botox injections. I have been pain free for 5 days. There are side effects like very stiff neck and shoulder muscles, slightly tight throat on swallowing, blurred vision from time to time and a slightly puffy right eye. Beyond that the Botox works for me and have no regrets. I can live with the discomfort I have now as I have a life again and do not get the chronic pains all day."

ADS57 May 26, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So my first experience was just on the cosmetic side and it helped with my migraines beautifully! My forehead looked amazing, and my migraines had been reduced. However I still felt the onset of them in my neck and shoulders. So upon talking to my neurologist, he said since I benefitted from the cosmetic one, I should try the actual one for migraines. Its been four days and I'm so sore and like other people have said AVOID getting the neck injections!!! I can hardly hold my head up and I wake with neck and shoulder pain. I'm bruised on my shoulders and it's swollen. Now I'm just in overall pain. The neck weakness is horrible it's weird to think holding your head up is hard."

Sabs01 May 3, 2016