User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Botox to treat Migraine Prevention

"Horrible migraine hours following treatment. Started out like someone hit me in back of the head with a baseball bat. Then the horrible nonstop headache set in. Ended up at ER the first day because nothing stopped pain. Woke up the next day with excruciating headache. Worse than any of my terrible daily migraines. The neurologist did not call back. Long story short. Went to ER 2x in 5 days. Neurologist was completely unhelpful and never spoke with me. After 6th day I barely made it thru work. There is severe cramping in neck and in between shoulders. Where the muscles were paralyzed the other muscles in the area are over compensating for the "Botoxed" areas. I WILL NEVER again do Botox. It made a bad situation completely unbearable"

Do NOT USE BOTOX September 22, 2016

"1st Botox shots 11/2015. Wasn't able to get another tx until 10 days ago. The 1st time it was great! Migraines down to about 2/mo. Loved it! This time the day after I woke w/back of neck very painful. Worse was pain in the back of head. Felt like hit w/a 2x4. Very bad headache too. It was horrible. I get pain med for other issues & it did nothing. Head swolIen, tight glasses. Some pain in my L shoulder down arm. It asted 5 days, in bed w/heating pad. 7th day worst pain gone but need hand under chin or on back of head to control head movement due to weak neck. Don't wake w/neck pain, but it starts after moving a bit. If I'm on my feet, dizzy. Weak jaws when eating or drinking. Head turns only 2" to L or R side. Weak upper arms. Never again."

LuvBluSkyz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2016

"Botox, in short, gave me my life back. It's literally a life saver."

Ausy711 July 26, 2016

"This is the only treatment that has cured my migraines and I've tried everything from oral medications to trigger point injections,cervical injections and anything else in between to relieve constant life changing migraines.The headaches dimished by the next day and until the Botox wears off ,about 12 weeks or so I don't have any,which is a miracle.I only wish I was given this sooner. It also only cost 80.00 out of pocket every three months. Another nice bonus or perk is any wrinkles you may have on your forehead ,in between your eyes, etc. are gone as well. This isn't a permanent medication either,with minimal side effects,better than most of the pills out there.If it doesn't work it can just be stopped and not injected again."

SamanthaSunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"The side effects are horrible and I still have my migraines. Dont do it."

JenZ21 July 8, 2016

"Never ever try Botox again! The first 3 wks I couldn't hold my head up., my arms were weak., vision blurry, sore throat, droopy right eye. Very depressing to totally be incompasitated! It was a big deal to get thru a shower and dress myself! Never again! Now at three weeks out, I'm light headed, still having hard time keeping my head up. Have started back to headaches for past week. They seem different in the sense I haven't had a visual aura., but the top of my head feels likes it going to pop off. The pain in my temple is the same. I've wasted an entire month! Been house bound!"

Jewels60 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"I was diagnosed with migraines at 19, and there has been a steady increase in frequency and severity as I aged. At 49 they became intractable and I ended up on disability. Botox became the last option. It's been nothing short of a miracle. My cluster and ice pick ha's stopped, I've had only two throbbing migraines in 4 mos, and my photosensitivity has improved. It took about 10 days for it to kick in the first time. The pokes of the injections are a very small price to pay for the benefit I've seen."

TCBug June 18, 2016

"For the first time in 50 years, I have relief from migraines, since using botox. I have a life now. I can make plans. For the first 4-5 days after botox, I hurt from the injections, my neck hurts, but then I feel great for almost 3 months. It's not 100% as I still get migraines but, they come less frequently and last for a shorter time. I would tell people that it worth trying. A little bit of pain for 12 weeks almost pain free. I love it. It has changed my life."

Shear Bear (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 4, 2016

"In 2004 I began to have migraines which grew progressively worse over time. After years of daily bouts with migraines that were at a 7 out of 10 on good days (not to mention that I couldnt take triptans because they gave me chest pains) my local VA began offering this new treatment called Botox and I was approved for it. I'm not 'cured' by any means but my life somewhat resembles a life now for a few hours a week. My good days are few but I am grateful for what I can get. I still get horrible migraines but I'll take several migraines per week vs. several per day. It reminds me not to waste my time when I have it; I I try to get stuff done. So I say to anyone, give it a try. It may or may not work for you but you should at least give it go."

Cynotusk (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

"Have had a mixture of Trigeminal Neuralgia and Cluster Migraines. (Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania) for 14 years. Have tried every single medication available and even had a Caudal Nueroplasty done 1 month ago. Nothing worked. Had severe pains up to 8 times a day all lasting around 40 minutes. Two weeks ago I had Botox injections. I have been pain free for 5 days. There are side effects like very stiff neck and shoulder muscles, slightly tight throat on swallowing, blurred vision from time to time and a slightly puffy right eye. Beyond that the Botox works for me and have no regrets. I can live with the discomfort I have now as I have a life again and do not get the chronic pains all day."

ADS57 May 26, 2016

"So my first experience was just on the cosmetic side and it helped with my migraines beautifully! My forehead looked amazing, and my migraines had been reduced. However I still felt the onset of them in my neck and shoulders. So upon talking to my neurologist, he said since I benefitted from the cosmetic one, I should try the actual one for migraines. Its been four days and I'm so sore and like other people have said AVOID getting the neck injections!!! I can hardly hold my head up and I wake with neck and shoulder pain. I'm bruised on my shoulders and it's swollen. Now I'm just in overall pain. The neck weakness is horrible it's weird to think holding your head up is hard."

Sabs01 May 3, 2016

"I had the 31 recommended injections. In the first 24 hours, I developed extreme injection site pain. It felt like electrified acid had been injected into my head and neck. All the injection sites became extremely itchy and my eye balls were itchy. 48 hours later, my neck and shoulders locked into knots. At 72 hours (after the weekend), I returned to my doctor. Doctor said that it was all in my head, even though I couldn't turn my head to look over my shoulder. He prescribed Benadryl and Aleve. Benadryl helped the itchiness, but Aleve did nothing for the neck and shoulder pain. I've tried Motrin, heat, massage and muscle relaxers... nothing has worked. At 10 days out, I can't hold my head up. Doctor is sending me to the ER."

Its-not-worth-it (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"Went through 2 rounds of botox injections. Terrible side effects: stiff neck with pain. Cold chill down my back. Difficulty swallowing that has worsen with time. It's been 2 1/2 years since I had the injections! I wish I had never tried Botox. Looking for a specialist to help with my swallowing problem. Still have migraines."

hortencia April 17, 2016

"I received my first round of Botox in October. I must admit there was some improvement in frequency and severity of my migraines. What I didn't understand is the many, many drug interactions associated with Botox. Please do your research before trying Botox. I went for my second round in January. I was hesitant because I really wasn't feeling well. But my NP advised a second round. That's when things went way wrong. After about a week, I wasn't able to take any migraine medication because it gave me extreme anxiety. Eventually I had anxiety full time. I admitted myself to a hospital after 3 visits to ER. None of the doctors acknowledged Botox side affects. I was really in the dark. Since then, I have done a lot of research. Dont do it!"

Dredders (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2016

"I would suggest botox treatment for migraine as the best choice. I had severe headaches and doctor after diagnosing said that it is because of migraine.Took too many capsules for instant reliefs. But I couldn't see any changes in my situation. Parents were very much worried regarding the high dose capsule intake. Cousin suggested me to go for a therapeutic botox at Brampton. It brought wonderful changes to my life. Now I am totally free from my migraine problem."

Re007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

"I've been experiencing migraines since about 12 years old, I tried every medication and been in/out of hospitals. I'm 46 now and tried botox. I received my 2 series and my first was okay, but 1 month before , had a migraine for 2 weeks. Now, just this past week was in the emergency room, because I was crawling on the floor , my head was hurting so bad, and I was vomiting all night. I was still having around 7-8 headaches in the month. I will not be going for the 3 shot. I was still on the preventive, taking 2 different pills for onset. This seems like to much medication. I'm so frustrated with this. I'm just going to settle this is my way of life ;( "

Tarsha A. January 13, 2016

"I have had migraines since a young girl not realizing what they were. In 2009 the migraines started getting so bad they started affecting my day to day life. Many trips to the doctors, and neurologists changing prescriptions often due to lack of effectiveness I was worried I would never find a medication that would help me. None of the oral medications were helping me. I started getting Botox injections almost a year ago Skeptical but ready to try. Somewhat apprehensive about so many needles, I have to try to see if this might just be the saving grace from migraines. I am happy to report the Botox is a miracle drug for me. The injections are uncomfortable, but going from >15 headaches a months to 3 or less/mo. I am very happy! Thanks!"

Domina January 7, 2016

"It changed my quality of life for the better, but since having to change to new insurance, they will not allow it, so now I am back in agony again with Migraines!! I would give anything to be back on the one thing that has helped me in 50 years of searching!!"

Fernie January 3, 2016

"I've been dealing w. chronic migraine for about four years now. Just don't really know why I get them honestly. But I do know that certain things triggers the migraines, like loud noises & severe temperature. Anyway, I did my first round of botox injections about 3 weeks ago. My headaches are coming just about every day now. I'm thinking it's definitely the Botox thats kicked in because I work in a quiet area. The injections were FINE.. Just hoping round 2 works. But that is as far as I'll go. I quit meds about a year ago. They all failed to work after 3-5 months of use. I'm only 22. It is the most irritating, emotional, & aggravating thing I've ever had to deal w. Just wanted 2know if anyone here does anything 2help them?? Maybe exercise,meditation"

NaomiiB December 29, 2015

"I had my first lot of Botox yesterday. 31 injections, for chronic daily headaches and migraines. I was just wondering if how I'm feeling after is seemed as normal? My eyes feel very droopy and it makes it feel as though my vision has being affected. Also in still having a lot of pain in my head (not a typical headache or migraine) more pain and numbness where the injections have been - especially my forehead. I also keep going very light headed when I'm doing things, and feeling very faint so I haven't being able to do a lot. Can anyone please let me know if it's normal to get these types of reactions? Thank you"

Taryn555 December 12, 2015

"This treatment has been truly transformational for me. I'm on round 2, and already have gone from 24/7 chronic migraine with horrid aura to 4 days a week with the first round and now 2 days a week with this second round. My migraines are super short now... only an hour for the pain, and aura is much shorter lived at minutes to hours instead of days. The intensity of my aura is really really low now (instead of debilitating vertigo 24/7) and my pain is usually a 0-3 now with occasional 5 instead of 5-9 where it was before. It feels like I'm on vacation. I was really skeptical to try Botox, but I had tried so many meds prior and was desperate. Now I'm working again, spending time with my family, and enjoying life. Try it if you can afford it."

Kay247 December 5, 2015

"My first time we did my neck and trapezeus along with my head. I recommend staying away from the neck area due to very sore neck for several weeks. Now we just do 31 injections all in my scalp and back of head. No problems and I have been doing this over a year or two now. Reduced my headaches from 4 per week to maybe 1 or 2."

Jenn N R (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2015

"I've just had my third botox injections. I didn't notice a huge improvement after the first lot of injections, although there still was in improvement from having 3 to 4 migraines per week to maybe one or 2 per week. The second lot of injections caused 2 weeks for 5 migraines per week, but then the breakthrough happened. 2 months completely migraine free. I cannot remember the last time I have gone for that long without a migraine. Must be at least 30 years. I'm quietly optimistic that I have finally got a migraine solution that works."

Pamela B (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

"I have suffered from chronic migraines for years and have taken just about every preventative and rescue med on the market. I recently received the Botox injections and didn't realize there would be 31 one of them. I have to tell you, the shots were absolutely not a big deal. It was over in about 5 mins or less. In all honesty, I don't know if I would have gone if I had known there would be 31, but again I am very glad that I did. It's only been 5 days, but I do not have any side effects listed by others and while it would be great to get rid of the migraines all together, if they would only lessen in frequency and intensity, I would be equally pleased."

So Far...so good! (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I'm on my second Botox. After first one I had blurred vision and have to read with my reading glasses. Still have a migraine but with Advil or fioricet with cup of coffee migraine i last between 1-5 hours. I was very happy not to have them for seventeen hours and be in dark room. However my second Botox didn't give me relieve I was expecting. So now for whole month I have droopy eyes, constant neck and shoulder pain, and every day migraine. I am planning to go for my third shot because help with migraine, I can take other pain but not migraine pain."

Topicka November 2, 2015