User Reviews for Botox

Botox Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"I have been getting Botox injections for 6 years now. I react differently almost every time. Sometimes it lasts a year or so, and other times only 6 months. I've had to use catheters for up to 4 months after, other times not at all. I always end up with infections though but that is normal for me anyways. All I do know is that no matter what, it's always worth it!!! I will ALWAYS pick any single side effect that happens to me over peeing uncontrollably all over myself! These injections have changed my life and I an truly grateful "

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2018

"Many more trips ro bathroom with very little output. Gained 6 pound this week. Lots of urges with little or no pee. ???"

Papa (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

"Best treatment I've had. I thought my active life was over. After several years of misery, missing out, avoiding people and feeling unclean, I have got my life back."

Lady Vics (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2018

"Three hours in hospital for injection, $2,650.00,doctor bill $249.00. Results: I used to get up 4 1/4 times a night, now it's 5 or 6, one night 9. The urge to pee is so strong that it leaks before I reach a urinal and I can't hold it back. Usually the urge to pee is so strong, I hurry to the toilet and nothing comes except pain in my penis. Many times when I do pee it burns. I just can't wait for the Botox to wear out. ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

"I have IC of the bladder and it helped a bunch!!"

Susie Bouhaouli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

"I was very unsure about going ahead with this treatment, but nothing else had worked and have had OAB all my life. From the start of all the OAB treatments that failed and inconclusive results to my first 150ml injection was around 18 months. End of line treatment was Botox or acupuncture, so I opted for Botox. Well, it was definitely worth the wait and the procedure was very straightforward. Fully prepared with my chosen catheters ready to be used, I was pleasantly surprised to find I hardly used them. No UTIs, just a life changing feeling of no urgency. I've read some horror stories on here, maybe I'm lucky. Not getting up in the night anymore, no urgency, catheter free, it's the only treatment that's worked for me!"

Jms71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017

"I had 200mg ( a large dose) of Botox injected into my Bladder in August 2017. I got an infection within days of having the procedure. I went straight into retention. It has now been about 12 weeks since the procedure. I am still having to use catheter and I am never free from infection. I have spent nearly three weeks in hospital due to complications with UTI resulting in Kidney damage. I am on a very rare Antibiotic that my own GP and local chemist had not heard off. I truly hope that this Antibiotic does the trick as I don't think that I am going to be able to cope with the outcome of the Botox injections for much longer. I wasn't given an Antibiotic after the procedure, the outcome may have been different if I had."

Littlev (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

"I've had botox injections 5 times and would definitely recommend it. They say it lasts for 6/8 months but mine have lasted the longest being 2 years. I'm very pleased with the outcome of it, it has made a massive improvement in my life."

Nannies girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 16, 2017

"I had Botox for an OAB. Before I had a terrible urge to go but I could not fully empty BUT I COULD GO ! The date is Oct in April it would have been three years since I had this done. At the beginning I was reluctant but my urologist recommended this. I was told I was going to have to be totally reliant of self catheterisation which I was ok. She did however say there are instances where the Botox would get rid of the urge but you would still be able to pee. A week after having Botox I have been 100% reliant on catheters. Without them I have urinary retention I cannot go at all. I feel totally let down by the medical profession and the company that makes this drug as they have washed their hands of me and the only suggestion is to have MORE Botox !"

Gray79 October 8, 2017

"I've had bladder problems since the age of 13, got worse around 15 but could still go out even though I was using the toilet every couple of hours then at 18 I stopped leaving the house as it got so bad. I'm now 23. I had Botox in June and I can't wait for it to wear off. So ill all the time, feels as if I constantly need the toilet more that ever, pains in my bladder and sides, had to use a cath but can pee a little tiny bit. Was at the doctors on Thursday and he said I've got an bad infection that I've had for a while as there's blood in it. This Friday I go back to the hospital that I had Botox done for a check. I'm at my wits end, have no clue what to do anymore and I feel like I'm never going to get better"

Lou2345 September 25, 2017

"I have had overactive bladder for many years and have found Botox to be a life changer. It has made a big difference to my quality of life, although I am still wearing protection at night. The only down side is having to wait so long for repeated treatment when the effects wear off as symptoms seem to come back with a vengeance. For me it lasts for about 4 months. Yeah I have to self catheterise but I don't think that is much of a problem. Can't wait for my next dose as I have frequent accident without it."

Col69 September 2, 2017

"Let's just say LIFE CHANGING!! Good bye pads - hello active lifestyle! I've had this procedure twice and am excited to be going for the third time tomorrow! I have a great doctor who has been with me every step of the way since I asked him about it in 2015. It sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones - besides pain/cramping during urination that first day (which Ibuprofen helps!), and a couple of UTIs shortly after each procedure, I've suffered no ill-effects, but have experienced a dramatic improvement in all issues I've had with painful urges, frequency, and leakage. Mine lasted a full year each time before I noticed any degradation, and it was almost 18 months before I was 100% back to the old symptoms."

lrz August 31, 2017

"@Colbak - I too had the sling surgery. It took care of the laughing, coughing, etc. accidents. I had difficulty emptying my bladder. I couldn't sit to urinate, I had to squat like a linebacker. I had to go pee every 30 minutes. And when I had to go, I went from no urge to running and barely getting my pants down. My urologist said that I could a. Have the injection. b. Have bladder snipped to "undo" the surgery. Or c. Go to a dr. in Pittsburgh (close to me) and have a pacemaker type device put in. I got the injection a little over a week ago. The first day I was really crampy. Now, I can't fully empty and its getting worse everyday. I thought it was a UTI ,but now I have to self cath. I also go (trickle) every 15 min. Grrr! Hope this helps!"

GeckoLane July 26, 2017

"This is my last post as I am finally able to empty my bladder after having to self-cath every 4-5 hours for 6 months! I will never do Botox again for OAB."

RB2020 July 7, 2017

"I had 200 units of BOTOX injected into my bladder 4/52. Worse decision ever! I struggled to pee on the first night and requested an indwelling catheter to be able to rest. On discharge I could void a little, but not too well. By the following week the retention was so uncomfy I went to the GP who sent me for a scan. I was retaining 380ml. Drained bladder and showed me how to self cath. I wasn't very successful. Had a day with Gyny and nurses following week and they ended up putting in an indwelling cath. Been weeks now. Had it out for 2 hours and retained 680ml I couldn't void. Awful awful feeling of being so •full• Huge regrets I took this route, 4.5 years post a TVT for stress + urge incontinence that didn't help."

SuzyR June 19, 2017

"An update from my post on March 7- I still cannot empty my bladder and have to self-cath. The Botox treatment was December 21, so now it has been five months! I am beyond frustrated! I have no idea when and if my bladder will ever be normal again."

RB2020 May 28, 2017

"First had Botox injections March of 2016. Doctor stated it would last six to nine months. Lasted 13 months and no side effects. Last week had my second injection as an outpatient. Took about five days to have me back to normal. Best choice I made for my OAB. No problems at this time and hoping it last at least nine months."

BK May 20, 2017

"So I just had the botox done yesterday. I was really hoping for possible reaction but with in a few hours I couldn't urinate called the Dr on Call and pissed (pun!) me off for he never called me . I had to go to my own hospital for 3 hours which was way to far. The hospital drained my bladder all though not much in it and had me begging him please there is still more iron in there he said nothing I'm sorry. I went to there bathroom 5 more times. I have one of the worst cases and next is getting the box implanted."

Rpoole (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

"I just had my third botox treatment. The first was great. It was painful but worth it. I did not retain urine or have an infection. What a relief. The second one was 7 months later and I had good results. This third one was nine months later and after 6 weeks I have not had any positive results. I have an appt with my urologist to see what we can do, but it is very disappointing to go through this with no results. I thought I could control this urge incontinency for life."

Haiku24 May 11, 2017

"I had sling surgery for stress incontinence. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and no leakage. I had minimal urge incontinence, but since the surgery, the urge incontinence is 100% more. I need to go every 30 minutes and have to wear the thickest pad. I have been told that I can retrain my bladder/mind if I hold on until the urge goes away, this may take months to do. I am reluctant to have botox. Has anyone done this?"

Colbak April 20, 2017

"Ok an update on my Botox treatment , close to 3 weeks since I had this done , it kicked in faster than expected and what a relief to not wear pads for the first time in years and the urge to go has basically gone and now I can sleep all night , a Huge Huge plus , now what many call the down side to the botox is the self cathing , for me I don't see this as a real down side , it takes just seconds to cath and its no big deal to me , it is such a small price to pay for the huge benefits , but thats just my opinion , cath 5 or 6 times a day , or tinkle every 30 minutes and constant leaking , I'll take cathing hands down"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

"For spinal cord injury's this is a life saver. I have a permanent catheter so paralyzing the bladder is not a problem, which seems to be the most frequent complaint. If they could paralyze it permanently, I'd sign up. If you suffer from leakage or involuntary urination and have a permanent catheter, try it. You won't be disappointed. I have it done twice annually for the past 10 years. My only issue are the large blood clots that can clog my catheter a few days after, but a small price to pay."

Cliffpo March 21, 2017

"I had the procedure for my bladder with botox on December 14, 2016. It has been the most horrible experience in my life, the doctor never told me about the possible consequences of it, I will never recommend it, EVER!!!!!!! It's been almost three months and I still have problems."

Ma. Cristina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

"I've been having bladder botox injections for 12 years at Hospital I have had urge double incontinence for about 15 years, caused by Multiple Sclerosis (primary progressive). I am nearly 70. I was tried on different treatments for about 3 years. Nothing worked. I had to wear thicker and thicker incontinence pads (very embarrassing)! Eventually, I was given Flexible Cystoscopy and Botox. Has to be done every 9 months, first it was with (20 injections), later increased to (30 inj's). It was worth every jab! Takes about 15 minutes under local. They always do FC and test your urine first. Discomfort during procedure and sore for a few days. No other side effects. Time to find a loo, and dry pants."

Dont have nickname (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2017

"I had a Botox treatment to my bladder for OAB on December 21, 2016. My urologist did not counsel me on the side effects or send me home after the treatment with an antibiotic as directed in the Botox pamphlet. Since that time, I have had two UTI's and still cannot empty my bladder. It is March 7 and I still have to self-cath every four hours. Like someone else wrote, I'm afraid my bladder will never be the same again and right now it feels like I'll be self-cathing for months. I wish I had never heard of Botox for my bladder!"

RB2020 March 7, 2017