User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"I've had an over active bladder for years and have had several medications with little effect. Then came the suggestion of Botox. My Doctor provided me with almost zero counselling on the effects. THEN, just as I was about to be put under, she asked me how much Botox did I want her to administer. Dah!.... should that be my decision???? I wish I had never heard of Botox. I had the Botox treatment on July 1, 2016 and it's now Jan. 10, and I have not been able to urinate without a catheter since which OVER 6 months now. Beware, Beware."

Kona Boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2017

"I had botox injections into bladder about 3 weeks ago but it has made no difference to my OAB so far. The procedure itself is quite uncomfortable and I actually felt my symptoms were worse the week after I had it done. I know it takes two weeks to take effect so was really hoping to see a difference as the constant need to go to the toilet is so stressful. But unfortunately 3 weeks in and I don't see much if any difference. I do seem to be able to go longer through the night but daytime is no better. I've had no other side effects so don't regret trying, just wish it would work!"

Ricky05 January 4, 2017

"Was going to the toilet every 30 mins, I have been having botox every 6 months for 3 years, Its wonderful, It last about 3 months then tapers off, Zero side effects."

78 year Old Man January 2, 2017

"I had the procedure done just a few days ago and it has been wonderful. I've had a few minor side effects like a UTI and some burning, but other than that, I'm doing well. I know it takes a few weeks to kick in, so I will update accordingly. If I have to complain about anything, it's that my insurance requires that this is done in the surgery center, so I lose a day of work. I planned for this so it was fine. I went to the mall last night and realized that I had been there for hours and didn't need to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I have to go for a check up in 2 weeks. I am urinating on my own, so that's good. I think this was a good decision. Again, I will update next week with any side effects."

JeninDC45 (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

"I have been dealing overactive bladder for years. I tried different medications and they would either stop working or send my blood pressure sky high. My doctor and I decided to go with Botox. I know there is a chance of having to self cath. I asked to have a smaller amount than normal to see if I tolerate it. I did it yesterday. I initially had burning and some other things but that has stopped. Apart from being tired, I am ok. I am still urinating ok, which is good. I have an appointment in a few weeks to see if I am retaining urine. I will update when I go back."

JenF45 December 14, 2016

"I have to say I'm shocked at the number of reviews from people just a few weeks out from their injections complaining of having to self-Cath or peeing more often. Did you not read any of the literature on this procedure? Did your doctor not explain what the Botox was doing to/for you? You are paralyzing your bladder muscles, i.e. they may not work at all or very well after, causing retention. This is why the literature states that if you are not prepared/willing to Cath after, don't do it! An organ is being stuck over and over with needles - don't you think that organ may be a little upset initially and freak out a bit with spasms (causing more frequent urination in some) until it has a chance to calm down?"

Mom21 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2016

"My husband had prostate surgery (TURP) for an enlarged prostate in January (11 months ago). Ever since, he has had annoying leakage. The doctor mentioned two options - Botox or an implanted device. He said Botox had "99% success rate" so my husband opted for that. Ever since, a nightmare. At first, he simply could not pee at all. He had an indwelling catheter for a while, and since has had to do self-catheterization four times a day (still cannot pee a drop). The Botox must have relaxed the bladder too much? Plus there was a LOT of old blood in his bladder, presumably from the Botox injections. The doctor said it was not possible to be from the catheters. And he has a UTI. The slight leakage seems like NOTHING next to this nightmare."

TiredOfThis! November 1, 2016

"I've had OAB for 10 years, no leakage, just urgency/frequency, varying between awful pressure or just niggly frequency. Tried everything over the years and finally had botox 2 weeks ago. Well, what a complete waste of time - it has not worked, the pressure is so intense, it feels worse than before! Saw the nurse today, peeing ok by myself (no catheter required) and no retention, no UTI. She said I have to allow 4 weeks for "it all to calm down" but I'm not holding out much hope. She is arranging for me to see the urologist asap but that will still be another 4 weeks. Sick of my life revolving around my bladder."

Millie.G October 20, 2016

"I had Botox for bladder 15th August 2016 got urosepsis the first week was in resus at a&e, an impatient for one week . now nine weeks later a complete nightmare bladder over 200mls still in retention constant UTIs could not get used to self catheter because I was using it every hour and kept piercing my bladder now on A indwelling catheter with still constant UTIs a total nightmare and. Instant pain wearing the catheter . I am worried I will ever have a normal bladder again and a normal life !! Worried that now using an indwelling catheter will weaken my muscles even further !!! Sick of taking Antibiotics, lost weight through stress and worry!!! I suggest whoever has this treatment should look at all the risks first and research it."

Lorraine11 October 16, 2016

"Had Botox for overactive bladder 12 days ago. Been miserable ever since, pain is as bad as ever and I have gone into retention so now having to self catheterise up to 4 times a day. Will now need to wait for the Botox to wear off to see if I can pass urine normally again. 6 months of pain, throbbing, pulsating sensation and the constant feeling of needing the toilet and I thought Botox was the answer, instead it's made matters worse!"

Mazzamont October 11, 2016

"I had Botox 7 months ago and I'm just now able to pee just a little so still need to self cath. Botox was the worst thing I could have done because it did nothing for my pain nor my frequency. I had no problem peeing before Botox!"

Kehlev September 19, 2016

"I had Botox injected about 4 weeks ago now. I had more of an urge to go post injection; however I was unable to empty bladder. Still 4 weeks later I'm pushing to go. I've been to ER (drained me w catheter) and urologist who say I have a normal amount of urine left but I don't feel that way. Spend night in pain and days pushing to go. Also constipated almost three weeks no matter how many laxatives I take. Can't wait for it to wear off I'm 26 & miserable. Wish I never did it."

Amii (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

"Have suffered from leaking all my life which became so much worse as l passed the menopause. Saw consultant for years who then said he could not help me. I was devastated. Then saw another who gave me several different tablets to use together although that wasn't the norm. Then offered me Botox. It worked beautifully straight away. My whole life changed for the better. Had the treatment twice and then a totally different illness became evident and l had an operation. Applied to have the Botox again and l am having it for the third time next week. I'm so pleased. Shame for those it didn't work well for but for me it's a life changer."

Suesum September 2, 2016

"I had Botox for overactive bladder io the 11 August 2016 been very unwell since flu symptoms aching body but above all my bladder is worse than ever .on and off the toilet constantly, with terrible throbbing and feeling of contantly full bladder. Back in hospital now they don't know what's going on although they are the ones responsible for the procedure !! At the end of my tether I wish I had never had this done no doctor wants to take any sort of blame and are playing dumb this is at King George hospital in goodmayes Essex been here for 2 nights they don't know what to suggest and have been mucked about for 2 days and nights. Can't sleep as sensation gets worse when I try to relax. Don't have this done"

Jo stewart August 28, 2016

"I am 33 and have had overactive bladder all of my life. I went through a lot of treatments that didn't work. I now have a normal life thanks to botox bladder injections. I used to urinate 20-30 times a day. With botox, I'm normal!. My doctor instills lidocaine in my bladder then does the injections via cystoscopy with me awake and unmedicated. I do feel the injections, but it's not terrible, and definitely worth it to me. The first time I was so disappointed that I had more frequency after the procedure than before, but now I know it doesn't take effect immediately. I usually have fatigue about 2-3 days after the procedure and the botox takes effect in 1-2 weeks. I have had it 5 times, it lasts me about 7 months."

Kjt4100 August 27, 2016

"Botox Bladder Beware........ I agree with that person who wished they had not let Botox anywhere near them. I had the Botox bladder procedure 8 (yes, eight) weeks ago, and I haven't peed yet (on my own). Four semi-permanet catheters the first 6 weeks and then self catheters since. Now I don't dare go out more than 3 hours after I cath....... or I'll be stranded. No hike or other lengthy activities, etc...... picture cathing behind a tree????? Another problem is that I'm getting very little info from my doctor..... maybe she's never done this before. PS--- for males it's very expensive; generally they need to put you out, and requires a surgey room. Very bad decision. Males..... don't do it; carry a bottle, & look for rtrms."

Kona Boy August 22, 2016

"Just had this done 5 days ago, finally something that works, after trying various medications for nearly 20 years, no more incontinence pads during the day, and had first night sleep without getting up 3 or four times to go to toilet. I would recommend this. Only wish it had been done years ago. I know its early days yet for me, but great improvement so far."

Anne, Falkirk, Scotland (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

"I had Botox in bladder 10 days ago and it has only made my bladder worse.instead of going to the toilet every 20 minutes I'm now going every 5! I'm not sleeping and have had really bad urine infection! I was back in hospital on Sunday! I would not recommend anyone getting this done. I have suffered with bladder problems for 17 years and getting really down about it all now! I have no idea what to do now."

Kerri edinburgh (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

"I've had Interstitital Cystitis ( IC) for about 6 years or so. Some pain while peeing and bladder pain. Last Feb 2015 the Urologist inserted the Botox into my bladder. My life for the past year and a half has been miserable to say the least. Never had problems before with incontinence but boy do I have it now. For the past year and a half I've had to wear Depends during the day and at night I have to wear an External Catheter and drain bag. My desire to do anything is not there anymore where before I was always pretty active. My Urologist doesn't understand why I'm having this outcome. He has other patients that do the Botox for the IC and had good results. Never again. Don't know if this stuff will ever wear off."

Drewry August 7, 2016

"I had botox bladder injections just over a week ago and wished id never let them anywhere near me. I suffer with severe over active bladder disorder, intersticial cystitis and have done all of my adult life I thought, prayed this would be the answer. A week on and i'm in so much distress and discomfort and at my wits end. God only knows if its such early days what else is to come. Im being treated for UTI even though the test showed negative but it was worth a try. On reading the posts on here it seems I'm not alone. Im hopefully seeing my Doctor tomorrow but not really sure what they're going to do. I am so fed up but it is reassuring to know im not the only one. This condition is a curse that no one can understand unless they've lived wi"

jiljen August 4, 2016

"I have had Botox injections often over the past three years. For me they last about six months. My doctor performs the injections under general anesthesia so I don't feel a thing except for the IV that is the worst part for me. I have only gotten one UTI from the injections. I have Multiple Sclerosis, the doctor I have is knowledgeable about MS. We tried four different meds which didn't work. I have good luck with the injections so I plan on sticking with them."

owl2772 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2016

"I had Botox for overactive bladder six weeks ago and it's been nothing more than a nightmare for me. My main issues were frequency and bladder spasms and the Botox has only worsened these issues. I initially experienced a great deal of bleeding with large clots for 12 hours which I was unaware could occur - only slight spotting had been mentioned. Within a week I could no longer urinate and a Foley catheter was inserted. Six weeks on, my bladder remains seized and despite a number of attempts to remove the catheter, my bladder hasn't improved. I have had two uti's and been admitted to the emergency dept for severe bladder trauma, urine retention and uti. I have suffered extreme anxiety as a result of all of this. It's not for everyone!"

Kich Moochie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I'm on my 3rd dose of Botox. I have bladder incontinence. My bladder was in a constant spasm. It was hard to leave the house After trying pills after trying Depends after having a few accidents I agreed to the Botox injections. I found the procedure uncomfortable but maybe for 5 minutes. It took most of the first year to get used to using a cath as a norm. You can get reusuable ones or pre-lubricated once. I now use the later but they are more expensive. The first round lasted 1 year the second round lasted 6 months and now I'm on my third round. The first and third round more Botox was used. I love it. No more leaks, accidents. I can sleep all night. Take long walks, long car rides."

LovingBotox (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

"I had botox March 21st 2016..When i havent got a UTI it works a treat,since having it done i have had a UTI just about every other week..Its sad because it does make a massive difference...Awaiting water test results just getting over another UTI as i write..I have become immune to certain antibiotics ..Not sure if im gonna have it again"

buzzfm (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

"I'm am shocked to hear how disappointed everyone is with Botox and I'm sad too. I completely understand the frustration, embarrassment and all round annoyance of peeing yourself. I started having Botox when I was 33 (I have MS). I had to start catheterising after my 2nd lot of Botox. This was the end of the world to me, 33 and having to use a catheter. Now, I think Botox is a huge benefit to my life and using a catheter is the norm. Obviously, everyone has different experiences but I love it x"

Clairekins July 9, 2016