User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"I have had Botox injections often over the past three years. For me they last about six months. My doctor performs the injections under general anesthesia so I don't feel a thing except for the IV that is the worst part for me. I have only gotten one UTI from the injections. I have Multiple Sclerosis, the doctor I have is knowledgeable about MS. We tried four different meds which didn't work. I have good luck with the injections so I plan on sticking with them."

owl2772 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2016

"I had Botox for overactive bladder six weeks ago and it's been nothing more than a nightmare for me. My main issues were frequency and bladder spasms and the Botox has only worsened these issues. I initially experienced a great deal of bleeding with large clots for 12 hours which I was unaware could occur - only slight spotting had been mentioned. Within a week I could no longer urinate and a Foley catheter was inserted. Six weeks on, my bladder remains seized and despite a number of attempts to remove the catheter, my bladder hasn't improved. I have had two uti's and been admitted to the emergency dept for severe bladder trauma, urine retention and uti. I have suffered extreme anxiety as a result of all of this. It's not for everyone!"

Kich Moochie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I'm on my 3rd dose of Botox. I have bladder incontinence. My bladder was in a constant spasm. It was hard to leave the house After trying pills after trying Depends after having a few accidents I agreed to the Botox injections. I found the procedure uncomfortable but maybe for 5 minutes. It took most of the first year to get used to using a cath as a norm. You can get reusuable ones or pre-lubricated once. I now use the later but they are more expensive. The first round lasted 1 year the second round lasted 6 months and now I'm on my third round. The first and third round more Botox was used. I love it. No more leaks, accidents. I can sleep all night. Take long walks, long car rides."

LovingBotox (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

"I had botox March 21st 2016..When i havent got a UTI it works a treat,since having it done i have had a UTI just about every other week..Its sad because it does make a massive difference...Awaiting water test results just getting over another UTI as i write..I have become immune to certain antibiotics ..Not sure if im gonna have it again"

buzzfm (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

"I'm am shocked to hear how disappointed everyone is with Botox and I'm sad too. I completely understand the frustration, embarrassment and all round annoyance of peeing yourself. I started having Botox when I was 33 (I have MS). I had to start catheterising after my 2nd lot of Botox. This was the end of the world to me, 33 and having to use a catheter. Now, I think Botox is a huge benefit to my life and using a catheter is the norm. Obviously, everyone has different experiences but I love it x"

Clairekins July 9, 2016

"Reading the testimonies here, I'm one of the luckier ones. I did not have to have a catheter, but I had to strain to void like I have never strained before. I was worried that I was going to do damage to the bladder muscle. I had constant feeling of needing to urinate. Rarely felt like bladder was empty. On top of this, my hands and feet would swell every day, when I have no problems with water retention. Doctor said I shouldn't ever have Botox again as it's likely an anaphylactic reaction. I had the procedure two weeks ago and am still miserable. Still not as long as others have gone through, but I was much happier to take the medication. Naturalist recommended a dot of estrogen cream on the urethra will draw it up to stop leaks."

RockyRoll July 8, 2016

"One week after Botox treatment, I was and still am miserable. I have had utis and urinary retention. Following a trip to the ER, I was fitted with a catheter, which was pretty uncomfortable. Next came self catherization, which has been nearly impossible, due to my bulging bladder. I would rather wear depends than go through this ongoing nightmare. I resent the fact that my doctor only mentioned retention casually and did not explain the consequences."

Galway girl July 3, 2016

" I had my injections last Wed. I had to go to the ER last night for Major Acute Water Retention (can't pee). I have to wear a cathater with the bag. I'm pretty sure I will have to self catherize until the Botox wears off. I wish I never did it, it paraylayzed my bladder. I will never have it done again. On the other hand I'm glad I'm not the only one that suffers from OAB I'm 36. Very disappointed why this had to happen to me, quality of life is worse with the Botox at this point I'd rather wear depends. Please do not to this procedure. PLEASE the possible side effects are not worth it at all."

Arose4503 June 21, 2016

"I had botox in my bladder because of nerve damage in my back i had to go sometimes every five minutes and could not leave the house. Its four months after first treatment. I still can not urinate at all unless I self cath. Sometimes five times a day sometimes ten when i take water pill for heart condition. Cant get answers if this is normal"

Jayms1953 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

"Had Botox age 68 in July 2015 after 2 days had to return to doctor and have Foley cath put in. Doctor said leave cath in for a week return to office. Went back still retaining so they put in another Foley cath. Could do nothing with the bag strapped to my leg. Went another 10 days. Same thing. Retaining up to 400. Nurse taught me how to self cath. Using 4 caths per day and only going a little on my own. Finally after 6 months at check up only retaining about 20. So now I don't have to cath any more. I was a perfect for the Botox but it did not work on me. So now back on medication and dealing with OAB and accidents. This treatment is not for everybody. The side affects are awful."

jj1177 May 16, 2016

"I think it depends on if you really suffer with this condition or you just wee alot as to wether you will appreciate it. I'm 30 years old and for the last 5 years I've had to wear adult nappys to bed (which more often than not, leak) this is humiliating. I already suffer with borderline personality disorder, depression, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Stomach ulser and now this! It was making my life hell. I had my first injection last year which did decrease the frequency I had to wee and stopped the leaking bit unfortunately didn't stop having to wear adult nappys at night, BUT this changed my life!! I will be having my 2nd injection on the 9th May, higher dose this time, if you don't appreciate what this does you didn't suffer beforehand."

Sophhee30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

"I got my second round of Botox yesterday. First one was in 2014. I think that depending on your doctor's experience and acknowledge with this medication is how you will get better. If your doctor put to much medication will not be good for you. Thanks to my doctor I feel better."

Guaguin (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2016

"I just had another round of Botox injections three days ago. While I did get a uti from the procedure and it was a bit difficult to void the first two days I am 100% now. I even went to work the following day. I also had this procedure in March of 2015. That one didn't go so well in the beginning but I think it was because I was in a INTERSTITAL CYSTITIS flare. If you have it I feel your pain. After my flare calmed down I noticed the Botox actually worked really well. This time I made sure I was not in a flare before Botox and all is good. This is a last line of treatment for me and at just 31yrs old I'm so glad I have found it. It is not a lifelong fix it will most likely require treatment every three months to a year everyone is different"

Final frontier (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

"I tried everything, including every med available, kegel exercises, diet modification to eliminate acids, accupuncture. Nothing helped. Finally asked for testing to determine what to be treated and it was spasms completely! TVT was perfect, mesh intact. Was leary of Botox but desperate to get rid of pads and soaking all the time! Doctor said would take 3 weeks; I was backed to normal within 3 days! No pads, no frequency, no urges, no complications at all with bladder emptying. I feel like the poster lady for it! Wonderful!! And I'm 70 years old! It's a miracle. Yes, was a bit uncomfortable getting it but took maybe 5-10 minutes and worth it! Be sure your urologist is board certified, does tons of the procedure consistently and regularly!"

Fancy pants (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2016

"I have tried numerous medications and everything has failed. I got Botox January of 2016 and it wore off 3 months later. My bladder has reverted back to how severe it was. I do not recommend Botox to anyone."

CAB77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"This has been a nightmare. When the botox started working, I was barely able to urinate at all and my partner had to rush me to hospital emergency to get a catheter put in. My bladder was completely paralyzed from the botox. This treatment is really brutal! I had to then self catheterize 3 times per day for about 2 months until the botox wore off enough that I could urinate, and I've had multiple UTIs since then, which is another side effect of this treatment. If a doctor offers you this treatment, run a mile! Its not worth the pain and suffering that you will go through. Now, after 7 months, the botox has mostly worn off but its still difficult to empty the last bit out of my bladder because the bladder muscle is still partially paralyzed"

WeakBladderGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

"I had this treatment in January 2015 and it worked for me almost immediately. I will say that I was already doing catheters and I still do them twice a day if I didn't I would probably never pass urine so something to think about. I wish that I had this years ago when I was scared to leave the house or was always trying to think of where I could get to a public toilet. I have secondary Multiple Sclerosis and would like to ask if anyone has had problems with their legs since this procedure? I am falling at least once a day and this had started since the Botox."

blueridgelover February 7, 2016

"I am not having complete bladder emptying based on ins and outs of liquid. Is that a concern?"

Corny January 24, 2016

"After several years of suffering overactive bladder, using drugs that dry your mouth horribly, regularly getting soaked through, tried Botox injections last June. Uncomfortable procedure, but bearable. A week later I couldn't void at all, so started with catheters 5 times a day. Not ideal but quite ok, so much better than before. Quality of life so improved. Over 6 months on, can void 200-300 ml naturally most times, but still need 5 catheters a day for the rest. Will try it again. Much better than other treatments."

Gretti January 13, 2016

"I have read all the posts and they all sound very similar. I will tell you I had the problem since I was a small child but it was chalked up as being a bed wetter. No treatment. Got married and symptoms not only worsened with intercourse but was treated as bladder infections instead of sever IC (was never diagnosed until many many years later). After having three children the spasms were so intense with the severe pain of IC I thought I would loose my mind. Pads were my best friend for the most part but would not be able to control the urine with the intense spasms so had a lot of wetting accidents even after taking every med created to treat the spasms to no avail. The vicious cycle became quite depressing. Always making sure I knew where.."

Leakyspazz December 30, 2015

"Had the Botox for overactive bladder November 21, 2015. Two days ago had the follow up. Everything went well at the operation, I could void before going home, little bleeding which soon stopped. Having some trouble emptying showing over 200 after voiding. I'm going to work on voiding completely. I do not wake up the 6 to 8 times at night now to use the restroom, I may wake once now. When going anywhere, now I'm not tied to the need to use the restroom every half hour like before. My urgency, frequency are more like normal now. Taking this time to work real hard on keegle's see in six months if that helps at all. BTW I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I would highly recommend this procedure."

Cherokee Half Breed. December 23, 2015

"I had Kenalog injected along with the Botox, the kenalog worked right away, but it took about 2 weeks until the Botox kicked in. It has about 7 months now. I had no pain for at least 6 months. The symptoms are just now starting to come back. And I should say they are coming back with a vengeance. Starting to get the sharp shooting pain in my uretha and the itching and burning in and around both my anus and vagina. I should make note though that my doctor did say the 5 ulcers now have combined into 3, and the largest one he said is on the left side, and that is the side that I have the most pain. But it was really great for 6 months not to have to worry about repeatedly having to find a restroom that's near."

dmariep (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

"Hi I just got the highest dose of Botox in my bladder 6 days ago it hasn't started working yet! Can anyone say how long till they felt better? I have severe over active bladder no meds worked and I'm so desperate. I'm 38"

Melmeldray December 19, 2015

"Had second round of Botox injections in my bladder and have had constant UTI's and pain in my lower abdominal area ever since. I do not feel well all the time. I will not do this again. Not worth it."

Meshgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2015

"I had my first injections today painful but not terrible. My doc gave me Ativan 1mg po next time I'll ask for Valium 10mg po next time. I'm still having bleeding. They did not tell me to stop placix and ASA so if you take either or both ask. I'll call my doc tomorrow sat and check on that. I'm encouraged by all the good comments on this forum."

Terrimo December 12, 2015