User Reviews for Botox to treat Urinary Frequency

Botox has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 148 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Frequency. 43% of those users who reviewed Botox reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Botox Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Frequency.

Reviews for Botox

Happydolly · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2021

“I am probably one of the happiest people in the world! My extremely over active bladder led to severe depression, becoming 100 lbs overweight, never going anywhere. If it weren’t for worrying about what would become if my dogs - well, suicide seemed a fairly good option. After trying different medications, my urologist (my hero, he should wear a cape) suggested trying the bladder Botox injections. Only two days after the procedure I got to put on real panties ! I’ve become more active in spite of my COPD, have begun Intermittent Fasting & am losing weight steadily. I’m thrilled with the result, to say the least!”

gaeliccouple May 9, 2021

“I wish share with you an effective treatment for chronic nocturia. I am a patient and have tried every other form of treatment. I would literally get up nearly every hour of the night with an urge to urinate even the tiniest amount. It was a nightmare. My urologists tried every form of treatment on me with no success. Here is the very effective course of treatment I have found only after 3 years of constant trial and error. At bed time I take the following: 1. Trazadone 50 or 100 mg, 2. Gabapentin 300mg, 3. Melatonin 5mg I tried Botox injections to the bladder. I had it done 3 times. The first dose of 100 ml really seemed to help in that it allowed me to sleep for an amazing 2 hours at a time without having to get up to pee. However, once the first dose wore off the two subsequent dosed did nothing even though we doubled the dose to 200 ml!”

D May 6, 2021

“I had Botox 8 months ago all I was told was how good it would be to help my over active bladder, 2 days after the procedure I couldn’t pee at all for 3 months I wore a bag on my leg then I ended up real sick and got sepsis and almost lost my life. I was on 3 different antibiotics while in the hospital. Then after 7 days in the hospital then still had to come home on 2 weeks more of levaquin which is dangerous in itself. I still had to come home and self cath which I am still doing in an 8 month time frame and have had 3 more kidney infections since coming home from the hospital now my kidneys have scarring on them and I still can not use the bathroom on my own or empty my bladder!!! Everyone has their own experience and mine hasn’t been good!!! I would read all reviews and do ur research before having this procedure done!!!”

Pissoire · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 19, 2012

“I was in a low dose Botox trial (300 vs 800) at a military medical facility. Detrol & Ditropan didn't work. I had frequent urgency, cramping caused by having to hold my urine, and many accidents. I was going to the loo all the time, having to leave meetings and bouncing around at my desk trying to hold my urine for any length (2 minutes) of time. I received botox which by tiny injections at the entrance of my bladder. A little uncomfortable. The next day I had no unusual urge to go, no cramps, no more bouncing, no running to the loo and many Depends a day. I was a totally normal without fear of accidents or ammonia smell for 8 months. It was fabulous - I was a real person again.”

RAV1981 September 17, 2014

“I am a 33 yo mom of 2. Very busy, very active. All the Overactive Bladder meds didn't really help and dry mouth was awful. I backed out of interstim twice, and when I heard about this option I was scared but had to try it, interstim was the only other choice. I am 7 days post botox 1st time. It has changed my life. I no longer have to void 3-4x before leaving my house to go somewhere. After having cystoscopies done, I was nervous. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The bladder where the injections were was painful voiding for 2 days, but it was worth it. No more voiding 3x per hour. If & when it wears off, I'd do it again. I have headaches off and on, may or may not be related but it was a life changer for me.”

Jayne · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

“Had this 20th November 2019 to help my problem of needing to pee every hour 24/7 and I now go about 4 time a day and sleep all night which has not happened in 4 years I was so tired but after this is a life changer, tiny little sting when put Botox in. I will recommend it 100 percent”

Ranger520 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2014

“As of today I have received Botox for the forth time. I have explored over the years many, many options for treating my OAB (over active bladder) & IC (Intercystial Cystitis) including oral meds, physical therapy, a bladder sling (that was a good decision) & finally having the Interstem device implanted (that only produce a little improvement). I was my doctors first patient to receive the treatment. I am so grateful for this option. Before Botox I could not go far from home. Walking my dogs meant I had to wear a pad the size of a brick. By the time I made it home it would be soaked. At the age of 45I was depressed with my condition & options. Next week I am having my doctor remove my Interstim device. Having Botox is all I need.”

Happymum January 25, 2021

“I used to pee about hourly and about 5-6 times a night. Botox suggested. Had botox and ended on toilet every 5-10 minutes. Warned to expect frequency. Hours later crippled in pain from continual peeing then had blood in urine. Had ultrasound of bladder to measure residual urine which showed 60ml residual after peeing. My bladder holds 50-70ml. Needed catheter to give me some rest. Went home with indwelling catheter. No antibiotics before or after botox. 2 weeks later now 2-3 bags of blood each day in bag. No visibility in bag due to blood and stringy clots 4 days in a row. Told nothing to worry about at local hospital, antibiotics injected and got tablets for bladder infection. Wishing I was never pushed to try botox by Urologist. Returning to remove catheter for 1 day in a few days, to see if successful & teach self cathing. This means toileting 15min - 1/2 hour and 1-2 hours at night with self cathing. Would not recommend botox for bladder issues requiring bladder surgery.”

Anonymous October 14, 2011

“After trying Vesicare and Enablex, neither of which offered much relief; with the side effect of dry mouth making it difficult to do my job which involves many daily consultations. I felt as though they caused my speech to be noticeably affected in a negative way. Botox has truly changed my life. The procedure itself was unpleasant but the results that I experienced within 7 days have given me (and my frustrated family) normalcy. If all else has failed, I highly recommend it. My extended medical plan denied my claim for reimbursement as Botox is not yet approved by Health Canada for this indication. I have an appeal filed.”

Mom21 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 8, 2016

“I have to say I'm shocked at the number of reviews from people just a few weeks out from their injections complaining of having to self-Cath or peeing more often. Did you not read any of the literature on this procedure? Did your doctor not explain what the Botox was doing to/for you? You are paralyzing your bladder muscles, i.e. they may not work at all or very well after, causing retention. This is why the literature states that if you are not prepared/willing to Cath after, don't do it! An organ is being stuck over and over with needles - don't you think that organ may be a little upset initially and freak out a bit with spasms (causing more frequent urination in some) until it has a chance to calm down?”

Fancy pants · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2016

“I tried everything, including every med available, kegel exercises, diet modification to eliminate acids, accupuncture. Nothing helped. Finally asked for testing to determine what to be treated and it was spasms completely! TVT was perfect, mesh intact. Was leary of Botox but desperate to get rid of pads and soaking all the time! Doctor said would take 3 weeks; I was backed to normal within 3 days! No pads, no frequency, no urges, no complications at all with bladder emptying. I feel like the poster lady for it! Wonderful!! And I'm 70 years old! It's a miracle. Yes, was a bit uncomfortable getting it but took maybe 5-10 minutes and worth it! Be sure your urologist is board certified, does tons of the procedure consistently and regularly!”

Loulou November 27, 2019

“Hi Guys i am a 34 year old female and had botox in my bladder in July this year for urine frequency that I had been suffering with for years. Procedure went fine but a week in I was in so much pain. I had to self catheterize 4 times a day and have had 5 different antibiotics for infections. I am also in a lot of pain around the urethra area constantly. I would much rather go back to the way I was than to go through it again. Hoping it starts to wear off soon. The pain is driving me crazy and not getting much sleep. Is anyone else experiencing this pain. Its been over 4 months now since I had the botox procedure.”

Alan Ross July 29, 2015

“I had a single dose of Botox in 2008 for overactive bladder. I ended up with a partly paralysed bladder and having to use catheters ever since, and it is now 2015. Lies were told to me that function would return. It did not. My system has been poisoned and I have to self-catheterise dozens of times a day. My life has been destroyed”

Laur1975 July 20, 2015

“40 year old female with history of suffering with overactive bladder both urgency and frequency since 2009. I was having 2-3 leaks a day and at one point had to start wearing adult diapers.I tried all the conservative treatments-therapy, every prescription medication, and interstim in 2013. All of these methods failed for me. In July of 2014 I received my first dose of Botox, it helped a little with frequency not so much urgency. I just received my second dose of Botox on July 8,2015. This time my doctor increased my dose. As of July 13th I was no longer wearing pads or liners. I am one happy girl :) 6 long years of hope and finally something has worked for me. My frequency has decreased and there is NO sense of urgency and NO LEAKS. YAY!!!”

HappyBladder July 16, 2015

“I've had an overactive bladder since I can remember as a child and came to think of it as "normal". Started taking Ditropan 25+ years ago but it along with other meds stopped working after a while. My urologist suggested Botox injections and it has been life changing! I sleep all night without having to get up to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times like before Botox and can drink a cup of coffee without having to go at least 3 times an hour. I've had injections once a year for the last three years and couldn't be happier with the results. My suggestion is run don't walk to your doctor and have the injections! The results are as close to a miracle as I've ever experienced.”

Q · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2019

“I would never do this again. Since my injection one month ago I have had three trips to the ER, two foleys catheter put in, bleeding when I tried to self catheter and a physician who seems indifferent to my problem. My life has become an obsession about being able to pee. My QoL has been negatively affected. I should have found this site before I let myself get talked into procedure. What a mistake.”

Sabrinachitoen · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

“I had the procedure today at the hospital and the doctor that was doing my procedure said it would be just a little pinch. Well she lied it hurt and burned like I don't know what. Never felt anything like it. I told her many times to stop she continue to torture me. who ever said this procedure and isn't painful is extremely lucky or under anesthesia. This procedure is very painful. I will not complete any follow up treatments”

Christy · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

“I got botox October 1st 2019 for urinary problems and they said it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks to 6 weeks to work. The procedure is very painful. And takes about 1 hour. The aftermath this has caused I would never wish on anyone. I'm peeing every 15 min to 5 mins the procedure weaken the bladder and made me worse. Don't have it done.”

Greatful · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2015

“I was not sure about botox in the bladder but thank heaven I tried it. I had given up going out , walking, sleeping and even visiting people. I am about to have my third treatment. I still do my exercises regularely and find that it now lasts me well over a year. I had given, up until my specialist recommended it for me. I sure am happy I listed to him. I had been told that there was nothing else that could be done by two other specialist. For anyone out there that is not sure please try it. It only takes 10 minutes in the office and then I am ready to go. You do not feel a thing. I am 73 yearsold.”

Ma. Cristina · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2017

“I had the procedure for my bladder with botox on December 14, 2016. It has been the most horrible experience in my life, the doctor never told me about the possible consequences of it, I will never recommend it, EVER!!!!!!! It's been almost three months and I still have problems.”

RB2020 March 7, 2017

“I had a Botox treatment to my bladder for OAB on December 21, 2016. My urologist did not counsel me on the side effects or send me home after the treatment with an antibiotic as directed in the Botox pamphlet. Since that time, I have had two UTI's and still cannot empty my bladder. It is March 7 and I still have to self-cath every four hours. Like someone else wrote, I'm afraid my bladder will never be the same again and right now it feels like I'll be self-cathing for months. I wish I had never heard of Botox for my bladder!”

Millie.G October 20, 2016

“I've had OAB for 10 years, no leakage, just urgency/frequency, varying between awful pressure or just niggly frequency. Tried everything over the years and finally had botox 2 weeks ago. Well, what a complete waste of time - it has not worked, the pressure is so intense, it feels worse than before! Saw the nurse today, peeing ok by myself (no catheter required) and no retention, no UTI. She said I have to allow 4 weeks for "it all to calm down" but I'm not holding out much hope. She is arranging for me to see the urologist asap but that will still be another 4 weeks. Sick of my life revolving around my bladder.”

Kjt4100 August 27, 2016

“I am 33 and have had overactive bladder all of my life. I went through a lot of treatments that didn't work. I now have a normal life thanks to botox bladder injections. I used to urinate 20-30 times a day. With botox, I'm normal!. My doctor instills lidocaine in my bladder then does the injections via cystoscopy with me awake and unmedicated. I do feel the injections, but it's not terrible, and definitely worth it to me. The first time I was so disappointed that I had more frequency after the procedure than before, but now I know it doesn't take effect immediately. I usually have fatigue about 2-3 days after the procedure and the botox takes effect in 1-2 weeks. I have had it 5 times, it lasts me about 7 months.”

Lorraine11 October 16, 2016

“I had Botox for bladder 15th August 2016 got urosepsis the first week was in resus at a&e, an impatient for one week . now nine weeks later a complete nightmare bladder over 200mls still in retention constant UTIs could not get used to self catheter because I was using it every hour and kept piercing my bladder now on A indwelling catheter with still constant UTIs a total nightmare and. Instant pain wearing the catheter . I am worried I will ever have a normal bladder again and a normal life !! Worried that now using an indwelling catheter will weaken my muscles even further !!! Sick of taking Antibiotics, lost weight through stress and worry!!! I suggest whoever has this treatment should look at all the risks first and research it.”

Jo stewart August 28, 2016

“I had Botox for overactive bladder io the 11 August 2016 been very unwell since flu symptoms aching body but above all my bladder is worse than ever .on and off the toilet constantly, with terrible throbbing and feeling of contantly full bladder. Back in hospital now they don't know what's going on although they are the ones responsible for the procedure !! At the end of my tether I wish I had never had this done no doctor wants to take any sort of blame and are playing dumb this is at King George hospital in goodmayes Essex been here for 2 nights they don't know what to suggest and have been mucked about for 2 days and nights. Can't sleep as sensation gets worse when I try to relax. Don't have this done”

skylight August 22, 2020

“I have had Botox surgery 2 times in a year for urinary issues, but do not find the results to be that great. I have a lot of UTI's and have to use a catheter all the time. It has helped some so probably will continue with Botox in future. I do not think the drug works as well as it should or does not work as advertised.”

jj1177 May 16, 2016

“Had Botox age 68 in July 2015 after 2 days had to return to doctor and have Foley cath put in. Doctor said leave cath in for a week return to office. Went back still retaining so they put in another Foley cath. Could do nothing with the bag strapped to my leg. Went another 10 days. Same thing. Retaining up to 400. Nurse taught me how to self cath. Using 4 caths per day and only going a little on my own. Finally after 6 months at check up only retaining about 20. So now I don't have to cath any more. I was a perfect for the Botox but it did not work on me. So now back on medication and dealing with OAB and accidents. This treatment is not for everybody. The side affects are awful.”

Suesum September 2, 2016

“Have suffered from leaking all my life which became so much worse as l passed the menopause. Saw consultant for years who then said he could not help me. I was devastated. Then saw another who gave me several different tablets to use together although that wasn't the norm. Then offered me Botox. It worked beautifully straight away. My whole life changed for the better. Had the treatment twice and then a totally different illness became evident and l had an operation. Applied to have the Botox again and l am having it for the third time next week. I'm so pleased. Shame for those it didn't work well for but for me it's a life changer.”

Learn more about Urinary Frequency