User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"For spinal cord injury's this is a life saver. I have a permanent catheter so paralyzing the bladder is not a problem, which seems to be the most frequent complaint. If they could paralyze it permanently, I'd sign up. If you suffer from leakage or involuntary urination and have a permanent catheter, try it. You won't be disappointed. I have it done twice annually for the past 10 years. My only issue are the large blood clots that can clog my catheter a few days after, but a small price to pay."

Cliffpo March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the procedure for my bladder with botox on December 14, 2016. It has been the most horrible experience in my life, the doctor never told me about the possible consequences of it, I will never recommend it, EVER!!!!!!! It's been almost three months and I still have problems."

Ma. Cristina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been having bladder botox injections for 12 years at Hospital I have had urge double incontinence for about 15 years, caused by Multiple Sclerosis (primary progressive). I am nearly 70. I was tried on different treatments for about 3 years. Nothing worked. I had to wear thicker and thicker incontinence pads (very embarrassing)! Eventually, I was given Flexible Cystoscopy and Botox. Has to be done every 9 months, first it was with (20 injections), later increased to (30 inj's). It was worth every jab! Takes about 15 minutes under local. They always do FC and test your urine first. Discomfort during procedure and sore for a few days. No other side effects. Time to find a loo, and dry pants."

Dont have nickname (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a Botox treatment to my bladder for OAB on December 21, 2016. My urologist did not counsel me on the side effects or send me home after the treatment with an antibiotic as directed in the Botox pamphlet. Since that time, I have had two UTI's and still cannot empty my bladder. It is March 7 and I still have to self-cath every four hours. Like someone else wrote, I'm afraid my bladder will never be the same again and right now it feels like I'll be self-cathing for months. I wish I had never heard of Botox for my bladder!"

RB2020 March 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been receiving Botox every 4 months for severe OAB for the past 10 years. Without it I need heavy incontinence pads or adult diapers. With it, I only experience an occasional small accident about 2 weeks before treatment and need no pads at all. It completely changed my quality of life for the better."

Esmerodo (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had Botox injections 3 times. The 1st time I developed symptoms after a week which made me go to the ER. My bladder was on fire! The Botox only lasted 4 months. The second time, I had zero symptoms and it kicked in right away. The Botox lasted 8 months. The third time, which was yesterday, hasn't kicked in yet but I've been having bladder pains which is relieved after emptying. But I wrote this to say that everyone is different so you can't really go by our reviews - try it out & if you don't like it, don't get it anymore, simple as that. Also, I've found it to last longer while also taking Ditrapan 10mg once a day. Ps. Someone said it's more expensive for males which isn't true, it all depends on your insurance."

M. Gg (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For years I've had to deal with my overactive bladder. I went on various prescription drugs only to have bad reactions, the worse being severely dry eyes causing a tear in my cornea, it did not put me in my happy place. In 2007 I had a bladder suspension which stopped the peeing when I laughed, coughed, sneezed or cried. That change my life but I still had that "key in the door" peeing sensation. I still had to find the bathroom every time I entered a mall or grocery store. I found the best urologist. We tried the interstem. Unfortunately I herniated a few discs in my back due to a car accident. The interstem had to come out in order to have a MRI. I have had Botox 5 times now. It's amazing. now I even get injections in his office & awake"

Having to pee all the time (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just recently had my 4th Botox injection. For the first time, other than needing to use catheters due to retention (just 1 1/2 wks now), I feel normal. Every 4 hrs, and my bladder is actually full!! Over the next couple of weeks that will get better, but I still might have to cath. (knowledge from past experience) after intercourse and 1st thing in the AM. I'm okay with that. Forgot what that was like since my hyst 10 yrs. ago. For those who are frustrated after two weeks: Patience...give it time. It takes a few times for things to begin to be better, and each Botox brings better relief. The pain during the injections, although quite powerful, are well worth the results!! At least for me."

DDSS - Grateful for Botox (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had an over active bladder for years and have had several medications with little effect. Then came the suggestion of Botox. My Doctor provided me with almost zero counselling on the effects. THEN, just as I was about to be put under, she asked me how much Botox did I want her to administer. Dah!.... should that be my decision???? I wish I had never heard of Botox. I had the Botox treatment on July 1, 2016 and it's now Jan. 10, and I have not been able to urinate without a catheter since which OVER 6 months now. Beware, Beware."

Kona Boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had botox injections into bladder about 3 weeks ago but it has made no difference to my OAB so far. The procedure itself is quite uncomfortable and I actually felt my symptoms were worse the week after I had it done. I know it takes two weeks to take effect so was really hoping to see a difference as the constant need to go to the toilet is so stressful. But unfortunately 3 weeks in and I don't see much if any difference. I do seem to be able to go longer through the night but daytime is no better. I've had no other side effects so don't regret trying, just wish it would work!"

Ricky05 January 4, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was going to the toilet every 30 mins, I have been having botox every 6 months for 3 years, Its wonderful, It last about 3 months then tapers off, Zero side effects."

78 year Old Man January 2, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the procedure done just a few days ago and it has been wonderful. I've had a few minor side effects like a UTI and some burning, but other than that, I'm doing well. I know it takes a few weeks to kick in, so I will update accordingly. If I have to complain about anything, it's that my insurance requires that this is done in the surgery center, so I lose a day of work. I planned for this so it was fine. I went to the mall last night and realized that I had been there for hours and didn't need to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I have to go for a check up in 2 weeks. I am urinating on my own, so that's good. I think this was a good decision. Again, I will update next week with any side effects."

JeninDC45 (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been dealing overactive bladder for years. I tried different medications and they would either stop working or send my blood pressure sky high. My doctor and I decided to go with Botox. I know there is a chance of having to self cath. I asked to have a smaller amount than normal to see if I tolerate it. I did it yesterday. I initially had burning and some other things but that has stopped. Apart from being tired, I am ok. I am still urinating ok, which is good. I have an appointment in a few weeks to see if I am retaining urine. I will update when I go back."

JenF45 December 14, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have to say I'm shocked at the number of reviews from people just a few weeks out from their injections complaining of having to self-Cath or peeing more often. Did you not read any of the literature on this procedure? Did your doctor not explain what the Botox was doing to/for you? You are paralyzing your bladder muscles, i.e. they may not work at all or very well after, causing retention. This is why the literature states that if you are not prepared/willing to Cath after, don't do it! An organ is being stuck over and over with needles - don't you think that organ may be a little upset initially and freak out a bit with spasms (causing more frequent urination in some) until it has a chance to calm down?"

Mom21 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband had prostate surgery (TURP) for an enlarged prostate in January (11 months ago). Ever since, he has had annoying leakage. The doctor mentioned two options - Botox or an implanted device. He said Botox had "99% success rate" so my husband opted for that. Ever since, a nightmare. At first, he simply could not pee at all. He had an indwelling catheter for a while, and since has had to do self-catheterization four times a day (still cannot pee a drop). The Botox must have relaxed the bladder too much? Plus there was a LOT of old blood in his bladder, presumably from the Botox injections. The doctor said it was not possible to be from the catheters. And he has a UTI. The slight leakage seems like NOTHING next to this nightmare."

TiredOfThis! November 1, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had OAB for 10 years, no leakage, just urgency/frequency, varying between awful pressure or just niggly frequency. Tried everything over the years and finally had botox 2 weeks ago. Well, what a complete waste of time - it has not worked, the pressure is so intense, it feels worse than before! Saw the nurse today, peeing ok by myself (no catheter required) and no retention, no UTI. She said I have to allow 4 weeks for "it all to calm down" but I'm not holding out much hope. She is arranging for me to see the urologist asap but that will still be another 4 weeks. Sick of my life revolving around my bladder."

Millie.G October 20, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had Botox for bladder 15th August 2016 got urosepsis the first week was in resus at a&e, an impatient for one week . now nine weeks later a complete nightmare bladder over 200mls still in retention constant UTIs could not get used to self catheter because I was using it every hour and kept piercing my bladder now on A indwelling catheter with still constant UTIs a total nightmare and. Instant pain wearing the catheter . I am worried I will ever have a normal bladder again and a normal life !! Worried that now using an indwelling catheter will weaken my muscles even further !!! Sick of taking Antibiotics, lost weight through stress and worry!!! I suggest whoever has this treatment should look at all the risks first and research it."

Lorraine11 October 16, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had Botox for overactive bladder 12 days ago. Been miserable ever since, pain is as bad as ever and I have gone into retention so now having to self catheterise up to 4 times a day. Will now need to wait for the Botox to wear off to see if I can pass urine normally again. 6 months of pain, throbbing, pulsating sensation and the constant feeling of needing the toilet and I thought Botox was the answer, instead it's made matters worse!"

Mazzamont October 11, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had Botox 7 months ago and I'm just now able to pee just a little so still need to self cath. Botox was the worst thing I could have done because it did nothing for my pain nor my frequency. I had no problem peeing before Botox!"

Kehlev September 19, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had Botox injected about 4 weeks ago now. I had more of an urge to go post injection; however I was unable to empty bladder. Still 4 weeks later I'm pushing to go. I've been to ER (drained me w catheter) and urologist who say I have a normal amount of urine left but I don't feel that way. Spend night in pain and days pushing to go. Also constipated almost three weeks no matter how many laxatives I take. Can't wait for it to wear off I'm 26 & miserable. Wish I never did it."

Amii (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have suffered from leaking all my life which became so much worse as l passed the menopause. Saw consultant for years who then said he could not help me. I was devastated. Then saw another who gave me several different tablets to use together although that wasn't the norm. Then offered me Botox. It worked beautifully straight away. My whole life changed for the better. Had the treatment twice and then a totally different illness became evident and l had an operation. Applied to have the Botox again and l am having it for the third time next week. I'm so pleased. Shame for those it didn't work well for but for me it's a life changer."

Suesum September 2, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had Botox for overactive bladder io the 11 August 2016 been very unwell since flu symptoms aching body but above all my bladder is worse than ever .on and off the toilet constantly, with terrible throbbing and feeling of contantly full bladder. Back in hospital now they don't know what's going on although they are the ones responsible for the procedure !! At the end of my tether I wish I had never had this done no doctor wants to take any sort of blame and are playing dumb this is at King George hospital in goodmayes Essex been here for 2 nights they don't know what to suggest and have been mucked about for 2 days and nights. Can't sleep as sensation gets worse when I try to relax. Don't have this done"

Jo stewart August 28, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 33 and have had overactive bladder all of my life. I went through a lot of treatments that didn't work. I now have a normal life thanks to botox bladder injections. I used to urinate 20-30 times a day. With botox, I'm normal!. My doctor instills lidocaine in my bladder then does the injections via cystoscopy with me awake and unmedicated. I do feel the injections, but it's not terrible, and definitely worth it to me. The first time I was so disappointed that I had more frequency after the procedure than before, but now I know it doesn't take effect immediately. I usually have fatigue about 2-3 days after the procedure and the botox takes effect in 1-2 weeks. I have had it 5 times, it lasts me about 7 months."

Kjt4100 August 27, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Botox Bladder Beware........ I agree with that person who wished they had not let Botox anywhere near them. I had the Botox bladder procedure 8 (yes, eight) weeks ago, and I haven't peed yet (on my own). Four semi-permanet catheters the first 6 weeks and then self catheters since. Now I don't dare go out more than 3 hours after I cath....... or I'll be stranded. No hike or other lengthy activities, etc...... picture cathing behind a tree????? Another problem is that I'm getting very little info from my doctor..... maybe she's never done this before. PS--- for males it's very expensive; generally they need to put you out, and requires a surgey room. Very bad decision. Males..... don't do it; carry a bottle, & look for rtrms."

Kona Boy August 22, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just had this done 5 days ago, finally something that works, after trying various medications for nearly 20 years, no more incontinence pads during the day, and had first night sleep without getting up 3 or four times to go to toilet. I would recommend this. Only wish it had been done years ago. I know its early days yet for me, but great improvement so far."

Anne, Falkirk, Scotland (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016