User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"I had Botox for overactive bladder io the 11 August 2016 been very unwell since flu symptoms aching body but above all my bladder is worse than ever .on and off the toilet constantly, with terrible throbbing and feeling of contantly full bladder. Back in hospital now they don't know what's going on although they are the ones responsible for the procedure !! At the end of my tether I wish I had never had this done no doctor wants to take any sort of blame and are playing dumb this is at King George hospital in goodmayes Essex been here for 2 nights they don't know what to suggest and have been mucked about for 2 days and nights. Can't sleep as sensation gets worse when I try to relax. Don't have this done"

Jo stewart August 28, 2016

"I am 33 and have had overactive bladder all of my life. I went through a lot of treatments that didn't work. I now have a normal life thanks to botox bladder injections. I used to urinate 20-30 times a day. With botox, I'm normal!. My doctor instills lidocaine in my bladder then does the injections via cystoscopy with me awake and unmedicated. I do feel the injections, but it's not terrible, and definitely worth it to me. The first time I was so disappointed that I had more frequency after the procedure than before, but now I know it doesn't take effect immediately. I usually have fatigue about 2-3 days after the procedure and the botox takes effect in 1-2 weeks. I have had it 5 times, it lasts me about 7 months."

Kjt4100 August 27, 2016

"Botox Bladder Beware........ I agree with that person who wished they had not let Botox anywhere near them. I had the Botox bladder procedure 8 (yes, eight) weeks ago, and I haven't peed yet (on my own). Four semi-permanet catheters the first 6 weeks and then self catheters since. Now I don't dare go out more than 3 hours after I cath....... or I'll be stranded. No hike or other lengthy activities, etc...... picture cathing behind a tree????? Another problem is that I'm getting very little info from my doctor..... maybe she's never done this before. PS--- for males it's very expensive; generally they need to put you out, and requires a surgey room. Very bad decision. Males..... don't do it; carry a bottle, & look for rtrms."

Kona Boy August 22, 2016

"Just had this done 5 days ago, finally something that works, after trying various medications for nearly 20 years, no more incontinence pads during the day, and had first night sleep without getting up 3 or four times to go to toilet. I would recommend this. Only wish it had been done years ago. I know its early days yet for me, but great improvement so far."

Anne, Falkirk, Scotland (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

"I had Botox in bladder 10 days ago and it has only made my bladder worse.instead of going to the toilet every 20 minutes I'm now going every 5! I'm not sleeping and have had really bad urine infection! I was back in hospital on Sunday! I would not recommend anyone getting this done. I have suffered with bladder problems for 17 years and getting really down about it all now! I have no idea what to do now."

Kerri edinburgh (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

"I've had Interstitital Cystitis ( IC) for about 6 years or so. Some pain while peeing and bladder pain. Last Feb 2015 the Urologist inserted the Botox into my bladder. My life for the past year and a half has been miserable to say the least. Never had problems before with incontinence but boy do I have it now. For the past year and a half I've had to wear Depends during the day and at night I have to wear an External Catheter and drain bag. My desire to do anything is not there anymore where before I was always pretty active. My Urologist doesn't understand why I'm having this outcome. He has other patients that do the Botox for the IC and had good results. Never again. Don't know if this stuff will ever wear off."

Drewry August 7, 2016

"I had botox bladder injections just over a week ago and wished id never let them anywhere near me. I suffer with severe over active bladder disorder, intersticial cystitis and have done all of my adult life I thought, prayed this would be the answer. A week on and i'm in so much distress and discomfort and at my wits end. God only knows if its such early days what else is to come. Im being treated for UTI even though the test showed negative but it was worth a try. On reading the posts on here it seems I'm not alone. Im hopefully seeing my Doctor tomorrow but not really sure what they're going to do. I am so fed up but it is reassuring to know im not the only one. This condition is a curse that no one can understand unless they've lived wi"

jiljen August 4, 2016

"I have had Botox injections often over the past three years. For me they last about six months. My doctor performs the injections under general anesthesia so I don't feel a thing except for the IV that is the worst part for me. I have only gotten one UTI from the injections. I have Multiple Sclerosis, the doctor I have is knowledgeable about MS. We tried four different meds which didn't work. I have good luck with the injections so I plan on sticking with them."

owl2772 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2016

"I had Botox for overactive bladder six weeks ago and it's been nothing more than a nightmare for me. My main issues were frequency and bladder spasms and the Botox has only worsened these issues. I initially experienced a great deal of bleeding with large clots for 12 hours which I was unaware could occur - only slight spotting had been mentioned. Within a week I could no longer urinate and a Foley catheter was inserted. Six weeks on, my bladder remains seized and despite a number of attempts to remove the catheter, my bladder hasn't improved. I have had two uti's and been admitted to the emergency dept for severe bladder trauma, urine retention and uti. I have suffered extreme anxiety as a result of all of this. It's not for everyone!"

Kich Moochie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I'm on my 3rd dose of Botox. I have bladder incontinence. My bladder was in a constant spasm. It was hard to leave the house After trying pills after trying Depends after having a few accidents I agreed to the Botox injections. I found the procedure uncomfortable but maybe for 5 minutes. It took most of the first year to get used to using a cath as a norm. You can get reusuable ones or pre-lubricated once. I now use the later but they are more expensive. The first round lasted 1 year the second round lasted 6 months and now I'm on my third round. The first and third round more Botox was used. I love it. No more leaks, accidents. I can sleep all night. Take long walks, long car rides."

LovingBotox (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

"I had botox March 21st 2016..When i havent got a UTI it works a treat,since having it done i have had a UTI just about every other week..Its sad because it does make a massive difference...Awaiting water test results just getting over another UTI as i write..I have become immune to certain antibiotics ..Not sure if im gonna have it again"

buzzfm (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

"I'm am shocked to hear how disappointed everyone is with Botox and I'm sad too. I completely understand the frustration, embarrassment and all round annoyance of peeing yourself. I started having Botox when I was 33 (I have MS). I had to start catheterising after my 2nd lot of Botox. This was the end of the world to me, 33 and having to use a catheter. Now, I think Botox is a huge benefit to my life and using a catheter is the norm. Obviously, everyone has different experiences but I love it x"

Clairekins July 9, 2016

"Reading the testimonies here, I'm one of the luckier ones. I did not have to have a catheter, but I had to strain to void like I have never strained before. I was worried that I was going to do damage to the bladder muscle. I had constant feeling of needing to urinate. Rarely felt like bladder was empty. On top of this, my hands and feet would swell every day, when I have no problems with water retention. Doctor said I shouldn't ever have Botox again as it's likely an anaphylactic reaction. I had the procedure two weeks ago and am still miserable. Still not as long as others have gone through, but I was much happier to take the medication. Naturalist recommended a dot of estrogen cream on the urethra will draw it up to stop leaks."

RockyRoll July 8, 2016

"One week after Botox treatment, I was and still am miserable. I have had utis and urinary retention. Following a trip to the ER, I was fitted with a catheter, which was pretty uncomfortable. Next came self catherization, which has been nearly impossible, due to my bulging bladder. I would rather wear depends than go through this ongoing nightmare. I resent the fact that my doctor only mentioned retention casually and did not explain the consequences."

Galway girl July 3, 2016

" I had my injections last Wed. I had to go to the ER last night for Major Acute Water Retention (can't pee). I have to wear a cathater with the bag. I'm pretty sure I will have to self catherize until the Botox wears off. I wish I never did it, it paraylayzed my bladder. I will never have it done again. On the other hand I'm glad I'm not the only one that suffers from OAB I'm 36. Very disappointed why this had to happen to me, quality of life is worse with the Botox at this point I'd rather wear depends. Please do not to this procedure. PLEASE the possible side effects are not worth it at all."

Arose4503 June 21, 2016

"I had botox in my bladder because of nerve damage in my back i had to go sometimes every five minutes and could not leave the house. Its four months after first treatment. I still can not urinate at all unless I self cath. Sometimes five times a day sometimes ten when i take water pill for heart condition. Cant get answers if this is normal"

Jayms1953 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

"Had Botox age 68 in July 2015 after 2 days had to return to doctor and have Foley cath put in. Doctor said leave cath in for a week return to office. Went back still retaining so they put in another Foley cath. Could do nothing with the bag strapped to my leg. Went another 10 days. Same thing. Retaining up to 400. Nurse taught me how to self cath. Using 4 caths per day and only going a little on my own. Finally after 6 months at check up only retaining about 20. So now I don't have to cath any more. I was a perfect for the Botox but it did not work on me. So now back on medication and dealing with OAB and accidents. This treatment is not for everybody. The side affects are awful."

jj1177 May 16, 2016

"I think it depends on if you really suffer with this condition or you just wee alot as to wether you will appreciate it. I'm 30 years old and for the last 5 years I've had to wear adult nappys to bed (which more often than not, leak) this is humiliating. I already suffer with borderline personality disorder, depression, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Stomach ulser and now this! It was making my life hell. I had my first injection last year which did decrease the frequency I had to wee and stopped the leaking bit unfortunately didn't stop having to wear adult nappys at night, BUT this changed my life!! I will be having my 2nd injection on the 9th May, higher dose this time, if you don't appreciate what this does you didn't suffer beforehand."

Sophhee30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

"I got my second round of Botox yesterday. First one was in 2014. I think that depending on your doctor's experience and acknowledge with this medication is how you will get better. If your doctor put to much medication will not be good for you. Thanks to my doctor I feel better."

Guaguin (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2016

"I just had another round of Botox injections three days ago. While I did get a uti from the procedure and it was a bit difficult to void the first two days I am 100% now. I even went to work the following day. I also had this procedure in March of 2015. That one didn't go so well in the beginning but I think it was because I was in a INTERSTITAL CYSTITIS flare. If you have it I feel your pain. After my flare calmed down I noticed the Botox actually worked really well. This time I made sure I was not in a flare before Botox and all is good. This is a last line of treatment for me and at just 31yrs old I'm so glad I have found it. It is not a lifelong fix it will most likely require treatment every three months to a year everyone is different"

Final frontier (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

"I tried everything, including every med available, kegel exercises, diet modification to eliminate acids, accupuncture. Nothing helped. Finally asked for testing to determine what to be treated and it was spasms completely! TVT was perfect, mesh intact. Was leary of Botox but desperate to get rid of pads and soaking all the time! Doctor said would take 3 weeks; I was backed to normal within 3 days! No pads, no frequency, no urges, no complications at all with bladder emptying. I feel like the poster lady for it! Wonderful!! And I'm 70 years old! It's a miracle. Yes, was a bit uncomfortable getting it but took maybe 5-10 minutes and worth it! Be sure your urologist is board certified, does tons of the procedure consistently and regularly!"

Fancy pants (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried numerous medications and everything has failed. I got Botox January of 2016 and it wore off 3 months later. My bladder has reverted back to how severe it was. I do not recommend Botox to anyone."

CAB77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"This has been a nightmare. When the botox started working, I was barely able to urinate at all and my partner had to rush me to hospital emergency to get a catheter put in. My bladder was completely paralyzed from the botox. This treatment is really brutal! I had to then self catheterize 3 times per day for about 2 months until the botox wore off enough that I could urinate, and I've had multiple UTIs since then, which is another side effect of this treatment. If a doctor offers you this treatment, run a mile! Its not worth the pain and suffering that you will go through. Now, after 7 months, the botox has mostly worn off but its still difficult to empty the last bit out of my bladder because the bladder muscle is still partially paralyzed"

WeakBladderGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

"I had this treatment in January 2015 and it worked for me almost immediately. I will say that I was already doing catheters and I still do them twice a day if I didn't I would probably never pass urine so something to think about. I wish that I had this years ago when I was scared to leave the house or was always trying to think of where I could get to a public toilet. I have secondary Multiple Sclerosis and would like to ask if anyone has had problems with their legs since this procedure? I am falling at least once a day and this had started since the Botox."

blueridgelover February 7, 2016

"I am not having complete bladder emptying based on ins and outs of liquid. Is that a concern?"

Corny January 24, 2016