User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"@Colbak - I too had the sling surgery. It took care of the laughing, coughing, etc. accidents. I had difficulty emptying my bladder. I couldn't sit to urinate, I had to squat like a linebacker. I had to go pee every 30 minutes. And when I had to go, I went from no urge to running and barely getting my pants down. My urologist said that I could a. Have the injection. b. Have bladder snipped to "undo" the surgery. Or c. Go to a dr. in Pittsburgh (close to me) and have a pacemaker type device put in. I got the injection a little over a week ago. The first day I was really crampy. Now, I can't fully empty and its getting worse everyday. I thought it was a UTI ,but now I have to self cath. I also go (trickle) every 15 min. Grrr! Hope this helps!"

GeckoLane July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my last post as I am finally able to empty my bladder after having to self-cath every 4-5 hours for 6 months! I will never do Botox again for OAB."

RB2020 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had 200 units of BOTOX injected into my bladder 4/52. Worse decision ever! I struggled to pee on the first night and requested an indwelling catheter to be able to rest. On discharge I could void a little, but not too well. By the following week the retention was so uncomfy I went to the GP who sent me for a scan. I was retaining 380ml. Drained bladder and showed me how to self cath. I wasn't very successful. Had a day with Gyny and nurses following week and they ended up putting in an indwelling cath. Been weeks now. Had it out for 2 hours and retained 680ml I couldn't void. Awful awful feeling of being so •full• Huge regrets I took this route, 4.5 years post a TVT for stress + urge incontinence that didn't help."

SuzyR June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"An update from my post on March 7- I still cannot empty my bladder and have to self-cath. The Botox treatment was December 21, so now it has been five months! I am beyond frustrated! I have no idea when and if my bladder will ever be normal again."

RB2020 May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First had Botox injections March of 2016. Doctor stated it would last six to nine months. Lasted 13 months and no side effects. Last week had my second injection as an outpatient. Took about five days to have me back to normal. Best choice I made for my OAB. No problems at this time and hoping it last at least nine months."

BK May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I just had the botox done yesterday. I was really hoping for possible reaction but with in a few hours I couldn't urinate called the Dr on Call and pissed (pun!) me off for he never called me . I had to go to my own hospital for 3 hours which was way to far. The hospital drained my bladder all though not much in it and had me begging him please there is still more iron in there he said nothing I'm sorry. I went to there bathroom 5 more times. I have one of the worst cases and next is getting the box implanted."

Rpoole (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had my third botox treatment. The first was great. It was painful but worth it. I did not retain urine or have an infection. What a relief. The second one was 7 months later and I had good results. This third one was nine months later and after 6 weeks I have not had any positive results. I have an appt with my urologist to see what we can do, but it is very disappointing to go through this with no results. I thought I could control this urge incontinency for life."

Haiku24 May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had sling surgery for stress incontinence. I can laugh, cough, sneeze and no leakage. I had minimal urge incontinence, but since the surgery, the urge incontinence is 100% more. I need to go every 30 minutes and have to wear the thickest pad. I have been told that I can retrain my bladder/mind if I hold on until the urge goes away, this may take months to do. I am reluctant to have botox. Has anyone done this?"

Colbak April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok an update on my Botox treatment , close to 3 weeks since I had this done , it kicked in faster than expected and what a relief to not wear pads for the first time in years and the urge to go has basically gone and now I can sleep all night , a Huge Huge plus , now what many call the down side to the botox is the self cathing , for me I don't see this as a real down side , it takes just seconds to cath and its no big deal to me , it is such a small price to pay for the huge benefits , but thats just my opinion , cath 5 or 6 times a day , or tinkle every 30 minutes and constant leaking , I'll take cathing hands down"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For spinal cord injury's this is a life saver. I have a permanent catheter so paralyzing the bladder is not a problem, which seems to be the most frequent complaint. If they could paralyze it permanently, I'd sign up. If you suffer from leakage or involuntary urination and have a permanent catheter, try it. You won't be disappointed. I have it done twice annually for the past 10 years. My only issue are the large blood clots that can clog my catheter a few days after, but a small price to pay."

Cliffpo March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the procedure for my bladder with botox on December 14, 2016. It has been the most horrible experience in my life, the doctor never told me about the possible consequences of it, I will never recommend it, EVER!!!!!!! It's been almost three months and I still have problems."

Ma. Cristina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been having bladder botox injections for 12 years at Hospital I have had urge double incontinence for about 15 years, caused by Multiple Sclerosis (primary progressive). I am nearly 70. I was tried on different treatments for about 3 years. Nothing worked. I had to wear thicker and thicker incontinence pads (very embarrassing)! Eventually, I was given Flexible Cystoscopy and Botox. Has to be done every 9 months, first it was with (20 injections), later increased to (30 inj's). It was worth every jab! Takes about 15 minutes under local. They always do FC and test your urine first. Discomfort during procedure and sore for a few days. No other side effects. Time to find a loo, and dry pants."

Dont have nickname (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a Botox treatment to my bladder for OAB on December 21, 2016. My urologist did not counsel me on the side effects or send me home after the treatment with an antibiotic as directed in the Botox pamphlet. Since that time, I have had two UTI's and still cannot empty my bladder. It is March 7 and I still have to self-cath every four hours. Like someone else wrote, I'm afraid my bladder will never be the same again and right now it feels like I'll be self-cathing for months. I wish I had never heard of Botox for my bladder!"

RB2020 March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been receiving Botox every 4 months for severe OAB for the past 10 years. Without it I need heavy incontinence pads or adult diapers. With it, I only experience an occasional small accident about 2 weeks before treatment and need no pads at all. It completely changed my quality of life for the better."

Esmerodo (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Botox injections 3 times. The 1st time I developed symptoms after a week which made me go to the ER. My bladder was on fire! The Botox only lasted 4 months. The second time, I had zero symptoms and it kicked in right away. The Botox lasted 8 months. The third time, which was yesterday, hasn't kicked in yet but I've been having bladder pains which is relieved after emptying. But I wrote this to say that everyone is different so you can't really go by our reviews - try it out & if you don't like it, don't get it anymore, simple as that. Also, I've found it to last longer while also taking Ditrapan 10mg once a day. Ps. Someone said it's more expensive for males which isn't true, it all depends on your insurance."

M. Gg (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For years I've had to deal with my overactive bladder. I went on various prescription drugs only to have bad reactions, the worse being severely dry eyes causing a tear in my cornea, it did not put me in my happy place. In 2007 I had a bladder suspension which stopped the peeing when I laughed, coughed, sneezed or cried. That change my life but I still had that "key in the door" peeing sensation. I still had to find the bathroom every time I entered a mall or grocery store. I found the best urologist. We tried the interstem. Unfortunately I herniated a few discs in my back due to a car accident. The interstem had to come out in order to have a MRI. I have had Botox 5 times now. It's amazing. now I even get injections in his office & awake"

Having to pee all the time (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just recently had my 4th Botox injection. For the first time, other than needing to use catheters due to retention (just 1 1/2 wks now), I feel normal. Every 4 hrs, and my bladder is actually full!! Over the next couple of weeks that will get better, but I still might have to cath. (knowledge from past experience) after intercourse and 1st thing in the AM. I'm okay with that. Forgot what that was like since my hyst 10 yrs. ago. For those who are frustrated after two weeks: Patience...give it time. It takes a few times for things to begin to be better, and each Botox brings better relief. The pain during the injections, although quite powerful, are well worth the results!! At least for me."

DDSS - Grateful for Botox (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had an over active bladder for years and have had several medications with little effect. Then came the suggestion of Botox. My Doctor provided me with almost zero counselling on the effects. THEN, just as I was about to be put under, she asked me how much Botox did I want her to administer. Dah!.... should that be my decision???? I wish I had never heard of Botox. I had the Botox treatment on July 1, 2016 and it's now Jan. 10, and I have not been able to urinate without a catheter since which OVER 6 months now. Beware, Beware."

Kona Boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had botox injections into bladder about 3 weeks ago but it has made no difference to my OAB so far. The procedure itself is quite uncomfortable and I actually felt my symptoms were worse the week after I had it done. I know it takes two weeks to take effect so was really hoping to see a difference as the constant need to go to the toilet is so stressful. But unfortunately 3 weeks in and I don't see much if any difference. I do seem to be able to go longer through the night but daytime is no better. I've had no other side effects so don't regret trying, just wish it would work!"

Ricky05 January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was going to the toilet every 30 mins, I have been having botox every 6 months for 3 years, Its wonderful, It last about 3 months then tapers off, Zero side effects."

78 year Old Man January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the procedure done just a few days ago and it has been wonderful. I've had a few minor side effects like a UTI and some burning, but other than that, I'm doing well. I know it takes a few weeks to kick in, so I will update accordingly. If I have to complain about anything, it's that my insurance requires that this is done in the surgery center, so I lose a day of work. I planned for this so it was fine. I went to the mall last night and realized that I had been there for hours and didn't need to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I have to go for a check up in 2 weeks. I am urinating on my own, so that's good. I think this was a good decision. Again, I will update next week with any side effects."

JeninDC45 (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been dealing overactive bladder for years. I tried different medications and they would either stop working or send my blood pressure sky high. My doctor and I decided to go with Botox. I know there is a chance of having to self cath. I asked to have a smaller amount than normal to see if I tolerate it. I did it yesterday. I initially had burning and some other things but that has stopped. Apart from being tired, I am ok. I am still urinating ok, which is good. I have an appointment in a few weeks to see if I am retaining urine. I will update when I go back."

JenF45 December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say I'm shocked at the number of reviews from people just a few weeks out from their injections complaining of having to self-Cath or peeing more often. Did you not read any of the literature on this procedure? Did your doctor not explain what the Botox was doing to/for you? You are paralyzing your bladder muscles, i.e. they may not work at all or very well after, causing retention. This is why the literature states that if you are not prepared/willing to Cath after, don't do it! An organ is being stuck over and over with needles - don't you think that organ may be a little upset initially and freak out a bit with spasms (causing more frequent urination in some) until it has a chance to calm down?"

Mom21 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband had prostate surgery (TURP) for an enlarged prostate in January (11 months ago). Ever since, he has had annoying leakage. The doctor mentioned two options - Botox or an implanted device. He said Botox had "99% success rate" so my husband opted for that. Ever since, a nightmare. At first, he simply could not pee at all. He had an indwelling catheter for a while, and since has had to do self-catheterization four times a day (still cannot pee a drop). The Botox must have relaxed the bladder too much? Plus there was a LOT of old blood in his bladder, presumably from the Botox injections. The doctor said it was not possible to be from the catheters. And he has a UTI. The slight leakage seems like NOTHING next to this nightmare."

TiredOfThis! November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had OAB for 10 years, no leakage, just urgency/frequency, varying between awful pressure or just niggly frequency. Tried everything over the years and finally had botox 2 weeks ago. Well, what a complete waste of time - it has not worked, the pressure is so intense, it feels worse than before! Saw the nurse today, peeing ok by myself (no catheter required) and no retention, no UTI. She said I have to allow 4 weeks for "it all to calm down" but I'm not holding out much hope. She is arranging for me to see the urologist asap but that will still be another 4 weeks. Sick of my life revolving around my bladder."

Millie.G October 20, 2016