User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Cervical Dystonia.

Reviews for Botox to treat Cervical Dystonia

"I have both cervical dystonia and spasmodic dysphonia. I receive Botox injections in my neck, shoulders and voice box. The injections in my shoulders accompany the injections in my neck for cervical dystonia. The injections in my shoulders leave my shoulders feeling knotted and cause frequent headaches and muscle pain. My Neurologist told me the Botox should get rid of the pain and not cause it but in my case, the headaches and muscle pain are noticeably there. Does anyone else experience this problem?"

Buffyboo123 March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amazing.. I had cervical Dystonia from an allergic reaction to a drug when I was a kid and have been dealing with it and the pain half my life. It has stopped me from being active among with other conditions I have had. Since doing botox I haven't thrown my back or neck out, my pain has lessened and my quality of life has increased ten fold. I just got another shot (we are still figuring out my exact amount) and have been doing it for close to a year now. It takes time to reach the right amount and they don't want to give you too much early due to severe side effects of paralysising your muscles and causing a droop in neck or hard to swallow which can last several weeks or longer. I think I am close to finding my sweet spot. Don't give up!"

David15545645454 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Getting injections for 15 years with great relief. The key to Botox injections is that your neurologist uses the EMG (Electromyography) machine in order to find the nerve activity and inject the correct site. I insisted and the neurologist complied. I get my shots every three months and the doctor administers 250 to 300 units. I consider the injection pain nothing compared with the pain my neck suffers without them"

Inslori (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Cervical Dystonia and the first time I received the shots they didn't work I felt like it made it worse but doctor said everything I was going though was normal it would get better, she said just put ice on my neck and if that didn't help try a heating pad that didn't help so I desided not to have the shots any more, but about 6 months later I decided maybe I should try the shots again so I did and I'am glad I did because they worked the second time. I have to say when I get the shots and they hurt really bad they seem to work better I know that sounds crazy but its because she is getting the muscle that is causing the dystonia to act up. I'm really glad I give it a second chance. So if you are like me and gave up maybe try it again."

Sissy2012 January 15, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It took me four years to discover that Botox injections from a neurologist was the answer to my chronic neck pain which was a result of a car accident, and subsequent failed neck surgery. No doctors that I had visited ever suggested botox shots. All other solutions presented by my doctors did not work. That includes physical therapy, steroid shots, and a lot of different pain medications. I have found that I need to go for a botox shot about every 3 months for pain. The only problem is when I moved to another state, I found that there is a lack of trained doctors who do botox shots for neck pain. I now have to wait 6 months for an appointment."

hji October 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Thank you for the opportunity to share my experience. I was diagnosed with cervical dystonia. I have been taking the shots for three years. I receive these shots every three months. The pain from these shots is very intense. I believe l receive seven injections per visit. I have tried to ice the area, it does not help. I have had pt, as well as acupuncture, neither worked. I find the shots help for about three months. I like the results, but don't like the pain. The doctor says it is due to the tension of the muscles. Anyone having this problem? Thanks for listening."

Creativeone12345 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm writing again because it's been a little over a year since I posted my experience with Botox for dystonia and migraines. This past year has been truly remarkable and while I haven't been 100% migraine free or pain free, "Life is Beautiful". My doctor, God bless her, received training from Allergan on the latest protocol for migraines, so the frequency of my migraines has lessened with the new therapy. As I am writing this, I am amazed that not ONE muscle is in spasm in my neck...now the tears are starting. It's so wonderful! That's what I wanted to share. Every time I've gotten my injections it's been a little different, but I think the variable has been me...not the Botox. Don't give up. Try it if you can."

Queenofa (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Each time I have had injections, the spasms stop within a couple of days, but then I have severe weakness in my neck and weird gait disturbances and muscle weakness in my lower extremities for up to 3 months. Just about the time I decide I won't get injections again, I have had pretty bad neck spasms and upper back pain, making me reconsider getting more treatments. It's a vicious cycle....."

whitehouse1 July 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been having injections for over 1 year now. The dosage was increased, per my request, in December. This seemed to work well, although it still didn't last any longer. I went in in March for my next dose, which was the same as December, and this time it's just awful. I have constant tremor, I have jerky movements at times, neck pain, yet I can tell that muscles are definitely weaker....if fact even more so than last time. Is this a sign of too much? Or injection error? I am seeing a neurologist, I did have 1 appointment with a movement disorder specialist (3 hours away), does anyone have suggestions? Should I return to the specialist?? Any input is appreciated!"

marcy52 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been diagnosed with cervical distonia and was given the botox injections and it has been10 days and I cannot bend my neck to even eat! I need to know what I can do about it! What other treatments are they?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Botox did not work for me. A geneticist confirmed that I have DYTI dystonia, which is one of the hereditary forms. The symptoms I'd experienced were on the left side of my neck. Botox DID reduce those movements. Unfortunately, my head steadily began to pull to the right and my torso twisted as well. I also experienced "floppy-head," which feels like someone is pushing the back of your head so that your chin nearly touches your chest. Not fun. Botox is also a toxic substance and the full effects are not yet known. All of this may be due to the genetic nature of my condition so it may work better for those with the secondary type."

Twist&Shout (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have cervical dystonoa for almost four years. I started with physical therapy, this was for 4 months. I then tried acupuncture, this was tried for 2 months. After going to several other doctors, l found a movement disorder specialist. Is is the best thing that ever happened to me. I now get botex injections in my neck every 3 to 4 months. I occasionally still have small tremors, but it is 90% better. The only thing that is difficult for me is the pain in my neck when l get the shots. This usually goes away in 3 to 4 hours."

Boston 12345 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suffered undiagnosed since I was about 18. I am 74 now and thanks to this site and others, I diagnosed myself and got referral to a wonderful neurologist. I got my first injection last week, and for the first time since I was a kid, I feel like a kid again. It's not perfect, but I never knew perfect. No more pain, and I can walk again and not think about my neck. I wish I had this before I left my wonderful job on a handicapped pension. It gave me my life back."

feistyoldlady (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2015

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Botox made my cervical dystonia 100 times worse, I'm still in a lot of pain but wouldn't go near it again, I tried acupuncture it worked straight away, I ended up with a punctured lung through this, I'm with dystonia society and many people say it helps them, so im just unfortunate, still looking for pain relief but looks grim, as I've tried loads of drugs and things like yoga, shiatsu and massage"

me & cervical dystonia October 12, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Relief was immediate and dramatic."

Southern Guy August 27, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am soon to be 62 and have suffered with migraines since age 12 and cervical dystonia for many years. My Doctor suggested Botox for both and I can hardly contain my emotions when someone asks how I'm doing. Even now, my eyes are full of grateful tears...I have a LIFE again! Everyday used to be a struggle, but not anymore! To wake up without a migraine, or pain is like a miracle...No it IS a miracle! I love my Doctor for suggesting it. I love Allegan for making it available. If your Doctor says you're a good candidate, or you think you might be, ASK! It might change your LIFE!"

Queenofa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I received injections in neck, shoulders and calf. Serious side effects of feeling like I have been poisoned for 1-2 weeks after the injections. I still have incredible pain and muscle weakness. My calf muscle still cramped and knotted. Difficulty swallowing at times. I really don't know if it worked at all for me. It's been a year and I still am wondering what benefits I am receiving."

janij (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2013

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is probably the best solution to cervical dystonia out there, other than physical therapy. While it didn't take all my pain away, my headaches subsided tremendously! I highly recommend getting this done. It is only needed every 3 to 4 months, and the injections aren't too painful to sit through."

SammiWilson (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2013

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered with cervical dystonia for over ten years I am now having botox every 2 months and now the amount has increased, I wouldn't be without it, but feel now that it isn't working as well as it used to. Have a fantastic Consultant Neurologist."

Sarnie (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2013

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have cervical dystonia and have been treated with Botox for 2.5 years. Botox had many many side effects for me in the beginning. Trouble swallowing, severe headaches, floppy head. It does take away the spasms where it is injected but I am finding help with trigger point injections and osteopathic adjustments. They don't stop as much of the pain but they have less side effects than Botox."

Anonymous September 1, 2009

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia after months of pain and a few years of wondering what was happening to me. It came to the point where I was depressed and exhausted all of the time and felt things would never ever get better for me. After different medicines, physical therapy and acupuncture I finally was sent to a Neurologist who confirmed my Dystonia and started Botox injections. The first treatment had no effect as they had to start with a small dose so one vile. I had to wait 2.5 months before I could receive another treatment and at that point was given 3 viles. I finally found relief and got my life back. My Dystonia will probably forever affect me but with the Botox I can barely notice it. It is truly a medical miracle that this works."

Smoore013 August 20, 2009

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered with migraines and neck pain for many years. Botox has given me my life back. I have arthritis in my neck and Botox is the ONLY thing that has given me relief."

Chri54 October 1, 2008

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i HAVE FINALLY FOUND AN MD. THAT KNOWS WHERE TO INJECT IT. I almost gave up after 2 and 1/2 years of failures by guessing Dr.s who didn't really know where to inject. They were always hitting the opposite side of my neck thinking that was where the problem lied... finally found a dr. who knew where to inject it. Now I have been straight necked for the first time in 25 years. Hell yes it works and no side effects... but for some reason I still have the pain (radiculopathy) on left side."

LYONMOOSE May 5, 2008