User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 7 reviews 28 medications

Bipolar Disorder 316 reviews 33 medications

8.5
Seizure Prevention 37 reviews 32 medications

7.5
Summary of Lamictal reviews 360 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the first mood stabilizer I was put on when I was diagnosed BP2 and I've been on it ever since, which was about 9 years ago. I love this med- I've had NO side effects. I'm on 500mg which is a very high dose but I'm also very treatment resistant. The only negative thing about this med is that I can't go on birth control. I have horrible mood swings and pain around 'that time' and birth control would help, but besides it lessening the effect of the birth control it also lessens the effectiveness of lamictal. There may be some birth control pill out there I can take, but my pdoc, and gyno haven't found it. :( Besides that this med is amazing & I'll never go off of it"

starlight77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Did everything right: titrated up gradually as per manufacturer's instructions. Only side effect was a slight front forehead ache in the mornings. Then.... WHAM! About 6 weeks into taking lamotrigine woke up with migraine killer headache & aching joints like getting the 'flu. Then next morning had rash all over body which became raised bumps. Then bloodshot eyes. I was in bed the best part of 2 weeks. Instantly, I stopped the lamotrigine. Even though my psychiatrist just told me to reduce the dose! Duh! If not for the SJS reaction, I would definitely still be on this drug."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine gave me way too much energy. The other night I went on a run at midnight, because I had to burn off the energy. I would say it definitely made me extremely manic. I also stopped getting my period on it, and my breasts grew larger as well. Strange.."

Creamsoda August 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Very effective but the side effect are bad if I don't take it correctly. I think there are ways you can reduce the effects( getting correct dosage of course) Before you consider going up a dose its worth considering. When you take them? I began taking mine at night, but have since taking through the day avoids headache, vision blurred, tremours. I take more last dose, breakfast, lunch & dinner. Do you take them food?I take them with food, I defiantly feel side effect, every time if I don't eat properly and skiip a meal Are you on any hormone treatment hrt/pill? I have found that there is a, as I call it, lower absorption rate as I'm on hrt and my consultant phy agrees, so I am taking a high does.What dosage? Even 25mg makes a difference."

Bee23 July 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "First I want to thank you all for your helpful reviews. It helped me to do my own research so I can suggest my choice of treatment to my psychiatrist, rather than just trusting the one he suggests. After being diagnosed bipolar 2, he suggested another med. I strongly advocated for Lamictal. I tapered up to 200mg, on a conservative schedule. I've had good results over the past 9 months. It definitely has lowered the instances of hypomania, or at least deescalated the intensity. It's done little to address the depression or anxiety, so we've agreed to add anti-depressant. Again, he suggested Cymbalta, which I opposed due to the all the information regarding withdrawal syndrome. We agreed on a low dose of Prozac which is going well so far."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been very helpful as a mood stabilizer, along with Seroquel and Klonopin. It keeps me more "even." Although I have breakthrough depression and some manic symptoms here and there, for most part, it's been useful when it comes to preventing full-blown episodes, along with the other meds. I hope it continues to do so. I take 200 mg total daily. I haven't noticed any side effects, and I've been pretty consistent taking it. Lamictal takes a long time to titrate up. It's done me a lot of good. I'm working long hours and living a productive life."

xRavenx (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only been on lamictal for a few months now. I am able to attend class again function at work and this is the first time in 3 years I've home without some form of severe beak."

Jojojojojojojo May 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Wellbuetrin (get off the couch). Zoloft (be happy). Pristiq (be happier). Xanax (chill out). Adderall (get 'er done, efficiently). Dexilant (ulcer, of course). Lisinopril (blood pressure). Up. Down. Up. Down. and then....because I felt so awful and helpless, pain pills. I'm a smart girl. I understand the epidemic and the risk of addiction, but didn't care. Went into new Dr. (one that finally didn't just take out a prescription pad and ask me "what do you want?", but asked questions to better understand me. The plan? To taper off a ton of these drugs (not cold turkey), and prescribed Lamictal. Game changer. Less meds for liver. More money in my pocket. More genuine calmness and happiness. Seriously, game changer"

PickOne (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Following about 4 months of being in a depressed state for little to no apparent reason (things were going good in my life), I added Lamictal to what I was taking. Along with Lithium, I took Lamictal for Bipolar. Lamictal worked very effectively to remove depression in a week. The issue was that I got out of depression so quickly, that I actually entered into a moderate manic episode. The episode did not lead to hospitalization, but had many of the elements that manic episodes have involving spending and lack of sleep and grandious thoughts and behavior. I didn't experience any negative side effects with the drug, and I just think for me the drug jolted me too much. No rash or anything, just scared me since I entered the manic."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've abused alcohol for 12 years now. I just started taking lamictal the other day and instantly made feel so much better! I have not had any alcohol cravings either and I'm looking forward to the future. I'm so grateful."

MP1985 May 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Been taking this for yrs and has helped me so much."

S0CRAT35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

For Seizure Prevention "I went through study after study as a kid without diagnosis. I found out 6 months after I had my 1st child at age 22 I had epilepsy. The pregnancy increased my symptoms and seizure to 3-5 times a day. The first med they put me on was lamictal and I stayed on this med for 8 yrs without any distracting symptoms. After I divorced I tried to go off them due to no insurance, I soon realized how well they did work. I ended up going back on them within two months because my seizure ended up coming back as soon as the med eased out of my system. It has now been a combined 12 yrs on this med and I don't intend on changing anytime soon. If you find something that works, it doesn't matter how many reviews you read until you see how your body reacts."

RachaelAB April 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I used to be on Seroquel for my bipolar 1. It basically ruined my high school education, making it almost impossible to wake up and stay awake in the mornings because it was physically painful to endure. Lamictal changed all of that and turned my life around. I have now been on lamictal for 4 years. I have experienced no negative side effects. I am now in college with a 3.5 GPA. My mood is now more controllable, but it doesn't drug me to the point where I am a zombie or a different person. I feel like I can still be extremely euphoric, which is something I don't want to give up. I do sometimes still feel very angry or depressed, but I am able to manage and contain it better than I used to. I highly recommend this to those with bipolar"

Forestfae March 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "ok. Well. Im 30 years old was diagnosed bipolar when i was twelve. I've been on an extensive list of drugs that never worked. So at 15 i stopped taking anything over the counter and self medicated for years I am now comfortable with the idea I may be on something for the rest of my life and i feel this stuff is actually working for me. It may be because I'm older My brain( for the most part) has developed where its gonna stay.. Hormones are different etc. My only concern is how quickly your body adjusts to it and you have to keep increasing dosage. I hope we will get to an appropriate level quickly to maintain an even head.. But honestly feel this has made a significant difference for me.."

boogers1234 March 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal over a year ago to treat my Bipolar II and am currently taking a 200mg dose. It has completely changed my life. I no longer obsessively compulsively shop. I can focus clearly. I no longer have raging mood swings. It controls most of my manic episode symptoms but doesn't really help with depression or manic hyper sexuality otherwise it would be 10/10. I'm working on the depression with Latuda with a small amount of success. Currently I do feel flat, calm and sullen but I can't say that is the Lamictal, it could just be the depression. The pros out way the cons."

GBlacks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed for OCD 20 years ago, went on zoloft, prozac, paxil and celexa, none of them worked in a long run. So I stop taking meds, but at times, I would get depress for no reason for weeks. I have constant thoughts running in my mind, mostly I am sad, and small things can make me angry, sensitive to sound(phone ringing, door bell, people talking). Now I was diagnosed as Bi polar,and was put on Lamictal 25mg and after 2 weeks increase to 50mg and than 75mg. Thoughts process was gone and was feeling happy. Anger and sensitivity to sound were still there. But 6 weeks on Lamictal, I had sore throat and than running nose, sneezing, flu type symptoms and than I notice rash on my chest, so I stop Lamictal. anyone with similar experi"

sam300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal to treat my bi-polar 2 disorder. At first, the medication really helped my constantly manic depression and I loved it. Then I noticed the fogginess and my brain felt like it wasn't as sharp. The more my doctor increased my dose, the more I started to swell. Eventually I had gained 5 lbs just in water retention. M joints would ache and I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to Topamax and I can really tell a difference! I loved the emotional effect from the Lamictal but the physical side effects were unreal."

G- NUTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016