User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 9 reviews 27 medications

Seizure Prevention 41 reviews 32 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 426 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been a life saver. Started when I was 18, after 4 years of unsuccessful treatment plus 2-3 years of emotional instability not treated. Started lamictal and I finally felt like "the person I was always supposed to grow up to be". I do get the "morning woozies" when I increase the dose for worsening symptoms, but I have been more or less in remission. Very minimal side effects, and generally effective as stand alone maintenance drug."

Myself again (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug gave me brain damage and I almost failed out of college. I was a ballerina, but after this medication I couldn't keep balance anymore and couldn't dance. This drug actually ruined my life and it has taking several years for me to recover from the damage it caused me mentally and physically."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I've been taking lamictal for over 15 years. I have to be on a high dose which does give me side effects. My memory is very bad and my balance is a little off. For as much as the memory thing bothers me I'd rather have that than the alternative which is crazy. I hadn't tried "everything" before I tried lamictal but I tried enough meds to know how they did not work like lamictal did. It didn't happen over night. I had to ramp up very slowly not just because of the physical but to see how my mind was. It took about a year to get to my therapeutic dose and it was worth it. Talk to your Dr about everything it does to you. Work together"

3brikk (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't think this works."

Nickolle May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but my psychiatrist put me on this over a year ago for a mood disorder. She built me up to 200 mgs and about a year ago moved me to 150 mgs in the morning and another 150 mgs at night. It's not a miracle pill and I still feel down sometimes and happy at others, but overall I don't get super down like I used to. In conjunction with the other psychiatric medicine I am on, it helps to keep me stable and helps me deal with a very serious disease that I came down with about 3 years ago that has completely turned my world upside down."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "So, I feel like this did help stabilize me a little bit (with depressive states), but I ended up getting acne and redness all over my face. I also had my eyes feel all weird and twitchy. Overall, It was not super effective for me because I still had horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I could not titrate high enough to get effective coverage from the medication without weird side effects. I was only on 75mg maximum, mind you."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on Lamictal for around 4-5 months. After my bipolar depression returned and wasn't being kept under control by my Seroquel and Prozac I did some research and saw Lamictal had decent reviews. My doctor started me on the medication and within a week I began to feel more energized, and happier. That was at 100 mg. I now believe the depression is coming back and I have been upped to 200 mg, along with 40mg of Prozac. The drug has done great things for me so far."

williamsbriana (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal handles most of my symptoms, but I continue to deal with money issues and relationships."

Tom1948 May 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug has been a lifesaver so far. Especially considering the other "less-than-ideal" medication options for bipolar disorder."

Ellendahl May 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "It really does work amazingly! I am bipolar II. was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder, but my depression did fluctuate in intensity quite a bit, so my psychiatrist thought Lamictal could work and that I could bipolar. So I started Lamictal (ironically right before I started the Lamictal I started having hypomania and was then properly diagnosed as bipolar II) For weeks it really did not help much - and then I reached the full dose of 200mg. I've been on this dose for a month and have felt completely normal or virtually normal most of the time! The medication isn't perfect though, as the depression ocassionally comes on rather hard, but even when it does it is temporary and NOWHERE near as bad as it was before."

mmay27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've recently started taking lamictal (50 mg) about three days ago for bipolar disorder along with lithium (600 mg) which was originally 900 mg but I found it to be too sedating so my doc lowered it back to 600 and I can honestly say I feel a major difference I feel like my mood is stabilizing and I'm starting to feel happy again and simply normal not too high with unorganized thinking and behavior or a rushed mind with all kinds of racing thoughts or mixed and depressive episodes when I've just felt as if I was in a roller coaster ride with my mood going up and down, and the depressive phase when I didn't care about anything and didn't even want to move and felt hopeless to anyone suffering don't give up and give lamictal a try"

Didi121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder "While on and off this medicine since I was about 17, I overlooked this drug's effectiveness only to end up realizing how well this can stabilize me. Although at initially high doses it can create some fuzziness/fog in memory and cognitive disruptions, the feelings of well-being i get outweigh its negative side effects that slowly dissipate over time. I am now 22 and will continue to be taking this until i feel that my condition won't affect my life even if that sounds like a rare occurrence. I highly recommend this medicine for mood disruptions, dysfunctional thinking processes and other similar living disturbances. Keep calm and carry on."

Drug junkie (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "no effects yet"

ebab (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has changed my life. I'm a diagnosed bipolar 1 and have had friends and family notice massive changes in my personality. I never knew life could be so happy and easy."

Kris.helli April 10, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder " I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 recently at 34 years old. I'm also diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. After being on what seems every antidepressant in the world, finally, a combination of Lamictal, Wellbutrin, and Xanax has been a life saver.I was prescribed the Lamictal a couple months ago. I noticed that after a couple weeks the Lamictal started to wear off a little and the depression started to appear again. I was started on 25 mg and then upped to 50 mg. A few days ago I noticed the depression again. I'm going to ask my Dr. to up my dose again. Sorry for the long response lol. I just wanted to let anyone else know that I'm going through a similar experience."

sudsybathwater (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Diagnosed with Bipolar twenty two years ago. Treated initially with lithium and Carbamazepine. I stopped taking everything and existed for years. Extremely bad depression last fall which left me a total shell without memory, emotion, feeling. I am now starting on lamictal as it is time for me to live again rather than exist. Thank you all for your feedback. I am actually looking forward to starting this drug and will keep you updated x"

Anabanana217 March 9, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I am bipolar 2 and take 300mg per day. Has changed my life so much. Helped me kick my alcohol addiction and impulsiveness. The last two years have been great. No drug is perfect however, and the withdrawals can be bad. Make sure you take it every day. So I gave it an 8 because I feel great if I keep up with it. I take it right after I wake up because it helps wake me up and gives me energy. Also makes me very patient with myself, other people and just life in general throughout the day. At my current dosage I wouldn't hesitate to call it a smart drug for me because it lessons my impulsive tendencies and quickness to anger. If this doesn't work for you, don't fret, I study medicine, and there is usually always something available to help."

Pugsta March 8, 2017

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I haven't found the perfect medication, but this is among the best so far. What is nice is that is also indicated for pain and helps my severe pain condition by reducing neuropathic pain."

CB114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking 200 mg. Lamictil for the last 2.5 months in combo with 60 mg. Cymbalta. I feel much less manic than before Lamictil but feel Cymbalta is too activating & makes me manic. Seeing my shrink soon to sort it out."

Ntended (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "For me the side effects greatly outweighed the benefits since I didn't feel any benefits. This medicine might be effective for the treatment of something. However bi-polar/depression not so much. Not a whole lot of fun when you stop taking it either."

Huro1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've used Lamictal for several years and I feel that it is a very effective drug with little to no side effects. Moods are quite stable; although I still do get some depression. Overall, I've been extremely stable for the past 3 years taking it with a combination of Lexapro for depression."

Velveteen Rabbit March 1, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication completely turned my life around. For 2 years I've been going through countless of antidepressant cocktails without much luck (one of them was Effexor and Mirtazapine which apparently is one of the most effective combos) It was until a few months ago when I demanded being evaluated for bipolar disorder, and after a few tests they put me on Lamictal (in combination with Wellbutrin, Prozac and Mirtazapine) the first titration weeks was hell, my mood was all over the place. But early February everything did a 180 and now I'm finally able to live a normal adult life"

Bipolar2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017