User Reviews for Lamictal

Epilepsy
6.1

Summary of Lamictal reviews 8.2 492 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "Recently diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder II after many years of battling against depression. Used to self-medicate with cannabis regularly but the strength of it induced psychosis, so have been 6 months without it. The first five months off it were dreadful; hopelessness, poor diet, no exercise, spending all time in bed, not interacting with the world and a downward spiral of self-pity. My Doctor prescribed Lamictal and I was doubtful of its effectiveness. However, I noticed a stabilization in mood after just 3 days of taking 25 mg per day. And after a week, the improvements have increased so that I no longer feel hopelessness with no future. In fact, I feel normal, very normal. My diet has improved and my self-care - washing, cleanliness, etc - has returned. The drug really works and has greatly improved my self confidence and made everything so much easier. I would recommend it anyone suffering depression as it really does work."

Dazzer July 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "After my diagnosis, the first trial of medication I was prescribed was Lamictal, and shortly after, Seroquel. Being 18 at the time, I didn't take it seriously enough at the time, so I didn't take my medication as I was supposed to. I went through 8 trials since that time (9 years). Antipsychotics made me gain TONS of weight, so I took myself off all the ones I had been given trials of. Antidepressants made the condition noticeably much, much worse (I don't recommend them for Bipolarpatients). In 2016, I began to take my Bipolar seriously, and 2 years later, I have never been in a better place. It doesn't help every aspect of BP1, but the duration of time between episodes are so much longer, as well as the severity of the mania or depression being much less intense. No negative side effects, either. Regardless of the episodes I inevitably get, this medication saved my life."

Ali (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have taken Lamictal for well over 10 years for Bipolar Disorder, it's been very effective and helping me keep my moods level, I also take Xanax for anxiety and I also take it if I feel like my moods are starting to fluctuate. I started taking Lamictal when it was a branded medication, I now have been on the generic (Lamotrigine) and it works just as well, I like the Teva generic form of it. It's a diamond shape for the 200mg. I take 200mg 2 times per day for my Bipolar disorder. I hope it keeps working this well for many years. I haven't had any side effects except for cotton mouth, but I try to keep myself as hydrated as possible."

cvdixon29 (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was taking lithium and seroquel to treat bipolar disorder. Lithium seemed to help my “depressive moods” but when Lamictal was added into the mix, it helped even out my manic moods. It works WONDERS for my anxiety!!!! I am so much more calm, levelheaded, and less aggressive on this medication. I would recommend this medication to ANYONE with bipolar (I actually did reccommend to a friend). Seriously a lifesaver!"

MillionDaliBaby (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2018

For Epilepsy "I am currently titrating up to help my day and nocturnal seizures. I am at 50mg morning and night. So far it seems to have helped with the nocturnal but increased my seizures during the day. If you are in Scotland and its the weekend you can go to a chemist and they can supply you with a week of medication to tide you over should you run out, so you don't miss any doses. They will sort out the paperwork and inform your GP that they have given you that medication. Take a repeat slip if you have one and try to stick to a regular chemist and obviously try to remember to order.. easier said than done with multiple medications and memory problems. Your chemist can also order them and deliver if needed."

Purple-Rain-Scotland (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "It's been so great and a life-saver for me! Since beginning the medication in 2004, I haven't had any mania. At 100mg once a daily, I don't have any side-effects other than the usual cotton mouth. I tried generic and had one negative side-effect after another, so I switched to name brand and have been fine. Generic and name brand are NOT the same thing."

Turtle Lady (taken for 10 years or more) May 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been an extremely effective medication for my bipolar. I took 150mg for 5 years but recently increased to 200mg and found that I benefited from the increase. My moods are even more balanced. Wish I had discovered the need for a slightly higher dose sooner. In addition to lamictal I take 150mg of Wellbutrin daily with an occasional break to prevent a hypocrite manic episode. Also take Seroquel for sleep for some other bipolar symptoms. Lastly, Klonopin for general / social anxiety. "

Roma (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "After being formally diagnosed with Bipolar II, I tried Saphris, Abilify and Olanzapine before a different Doctor prescribed Lamictal. It is the gold standard in treating BP depression and was instantly effective for me. My depression diminished, my mood elevated, I had little to no side effect; but my hypomania did not seem to be affected. Years later I tried to wean myself off to start a Lithium/Lexapro combo and I immediately crashed. I will definitely stay on lamictal long term to treat Bipolar depression."

bpd789 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I've been on Lamotrigine for several months now, started a small dosage of 25mg, gradually increasing until I've gotten to 300mg per night. Each increase has improved my mood, made me content and more active. It has also taken away my depressed behavior of lying in bed watching TV series all day and overeating, as well as my sudden breakouts of irritation. I just hope I don't get the Stevens-Johnson syndrome, I don't know if the risk is less the more you've taken the medication without side-effects. Getting SJS would be extremely unfortunate given that I greatly depend on the medication."

Fer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on lamictal for almost a year, along with a daily dose of wellbutrin 150 XL that I have been with for three years. Petite and sensitive to medication, I have done well on 50mg lamictal daily. This medication has brought so much RELIEF! Excellent addition to the wellbutrin. I deal mostly with depression, but also have been very mood sensitive and can be easily "sent over the edge." This medication brings me peace and well being. Having to deal with emotional instability is very stressful and burdensome (for me and those I love). That burden is lifted, as the range of emotions that I have are much more manageable. Less worrying if I am going to have an outburst, which means less shame to deal with. No major symptoms other than very brief, occasional, and mild nausea after I eat. Overall it has made a huge improvement to my quality of life. If you are in need of a stabilizer I hope it works for you!"

grateful for medicine May 11, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Lifesaver! After life long depression and countless other antidepressants, lamictal has allowed me to live a depression free life! Don't have a clue why its so expensive? That is a shame"

40 YR OLD MALE (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My PDoc prescribed it to me, but I refused to accept that I had mild bipolar (type 2). However, my SSRI (Cipralex) was only numbing and sometime energizing me for no reason and eventually... led to inevitable depression dips . I stuck it out for almost 1.5 months on Lamictal only 25 mg's, and trust me, I feel a world of a difference. My life has changed. I feel like I can focus. Although there is MILD emotional numbing, almost stoic, I am able to be present with people and calmly socialize. It is easier to process emotions, which used to be overwhelming before. It allowed my mindfulness and self acceptance practise to skyrocket. Anyone planning on using this. Titrate slowly!!!!! My symptoms were too much handle when I shot up to 50MG's. I might be different, but please be patient with the drug and move slowly."

hmaqsood May 8, 2018

For Seizure Prevention "My daughter started this drug at night time with the lowest dose. 2 weeks later we added another dose in the morning. On the second day she started having more seizures (absense) in the morning where as before she had maybe 20 but with the medication it was in the hundreds. I told her dr and they wanted us to just double up the dose at night time. I wasn’t ok with that but kept her on the 1 chew pill at night. The next day she has a convulsion seizure which she had never had before. I don’t like this medication. I think it caused more seizures for my 6 year old little girl."

Mermo (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have generalized anxiety disorder along with OCD, depression, PTSD & weird/strong/angry mood swings. I am not bipolar but this medication keeps me under control. It helps my anxiety more than anything, I do get random "freak out" moments where I'll simply just want to go crazy on someone or something. So although I don't know exactly what this medication is helping me with, it's helping me overall be a better person with less (but still rare) mood swings. I'd recommend this med to anyone with any anxiety disorder, etc!"

tina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I miss me. I'm on 25 mg with Wellbutrin 100, which is a long term drug for me. I'm supposed to increase the lamictal to 50 mg tomorrow and I'm terrified. Yes my moods are more stable. I don't rage at stupid telemarketers, but neither do I find any interest in anything I used to enjoy... no TV, no reading, no online games... I just pace wishing I could feel the joy and passion that I used to gave. So obviously, it works, just too much so for me."

Nes (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was extremely edgy, Irritable, Depressed, constant thoughts of suicide and extreme fatigue. I was diagnosed with Depression, anxiety and Bi-polar disorder II. I started with 25Mg at night before sleep. Before taking Lamatical my dreams were insane I was constantly running from a person in all my dreams. It would cause distress waking up scared. As soon as I started it my dreams were no longer me running from anything rather just normal things I struggle with in my daily life family friends or issues I’m having. I haven’t had a running dream since! 2 years later I take 300Mg. I am nowhere near perfect but my brain is no longer foggy. I don’t cry for no reason at all like I used too. I’m just happy I made the decision to seek help. Make sure to keep a positive mind set even with set backs life is a struggle but it takes a clear mind to see the big picture! Last but not least keep your faith "

Badashhh March 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder last year. For one year I felt like a guinea pig, taking different medications, increasing & decreasing them. I felt like I would never feel better. My doctor started me on Lamictal after a really bad episode & it worked within two weeks. I am on Lamictal 50 mg a day & zoloft 100mg a day. I feel like a new person. I do not cycle all of the time now & only cry when it’s actually something sad to cry about & not all of the time. My anxiety is next to nothing anymore. This medication has been a life saver for me. I am so thankful that my doctor placed me on it even though I was ready to give up."

Christopher Robin February 20, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Works"

Damipono February 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "On it for 5 years. Mild bipolar (moody). My significant other can tell when I don’t take this even a few days. It is a magic drug. I met 3 other women who I found out were on it for bipolar and said this is the one pill they cannot go without. I have been on 100mg for 5 years and it still works the same. Magic! No weight gain. No side effects at all! Just smooth sailing. My drs described it as such, “here is you without lamictal. *holds one palm high and the other low* lamictal will keep you right in the middle. No more ups and downs.” And it’s done exactly that. I don’t think I’ll ever go without this med, and there is no reason not to. It works for me, and for tons of others. Miracle drug."

Iledahorsetowater (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been treated for what I thought was depression with anxiety since my twenties. At 60, I finally received a dx on the bipolar spectrum. Depakote is a dream, but I still had depressive symptoms (strong tendency to isolate). Because of headache, I have had to increase the dose of Lamictal extremely slowly (5mg to start, increasing by 5mg every 2-3 weeks as headaches abate), but it has made me more comfortable doing socially challenging things I want to do. Surprisingly, it also seems to be improving my circadian rhythm so I have been able to get to bed earlier."

sf100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I spent a lot of time getting to a "therapeutic" dose of this medicine and it never helped me. I felt flat. I was always dizzy to the point I couldn't drive or walk even sometimes. I was never diagnosed bipolar. Anxiety and depression but Dr said this could help me. It was definitely a waste of time and took weeks to come off also."

Steph041808 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Took this medication for a 2 months. Lamictal did help with depression but it also gave me bad anxiety and anger. When so would get angry, usually for little to no reason at all. It also worsened my vision. As soon as I stopped this med, my vision came back to normal (as close to normal as it was before Lamictal). It also made me really itchy, but that went away once I stopped it too. All of the side effects were very gradual, so I had no idea that they were because of the Lamictal and didn’t realize that until after I stopped it and they went away."

Spearit (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on Lamictal for 13+ years and it has been a life saver! I take 600 mg every day along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin and my life is as “normal” as possible."

Janasuth January 11, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal every morning has completely defeated my depression! Some itching when I first started it but that went away after a few weeks. Also on Seroquel XR at night to control mania. Never been this stable in my life!"

SkinCare Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed Bipolar Disorder I when I was 18 years old, now 25. Since then, I have tried countless medications that have either caused side effects I couldn't handle, or just didn't seem to work for me. I had tried Lamictal early on after I received my diagnosis, but I was a typical teenager refusing to admit I had a problem. Tried multiple antipsychotics, antidepressants (made me extremely manic), and Lamictal has been the only one that has consistently worked. It doesn't cure all, but it does space out my episodes of mania, which are my most common, and depression, and lessens the severity and length. Ideally, I should pair this with an antipsychotic, but until then, Lamictal has made me a better person. So grateful I found Lamictal."

Colean (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2018