User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 9 reviews 27 medications

Seizure Prevention 43 reviews 32 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 440 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I had gone through a wide variety of SSRI's before my doctor recommended these. This medication has seriously changed my life and I feel like I have more control about how certain things make me feel. I am Bipolar 2 taking 200mg and I don't ever want to get back to the state I was in before. Having tried around 5 different types of medication I have finally found the one."

LowFlo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I still have minor anxiety and depression...but wow my life got changed"

Krishelli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bipolar II and lamotrigine saved my life. I have taken 200mg for approximately 5 years. In combination with therapy my mood swings have diminished by >95%. My quality of life has skyrocketed. My life truly is broken into 2 segments - before lamotrigine and after lamotrigine. My memory is certainly a bit worse, but I notice no other side effects. The memory impairment is not substantial enough to warrant stopping the medication."

Redditor (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm bipolar II and this med works very well. The depression still comes and goes and I do feel kinda crappy somewhat often, but it is definitely not horrible and incapacitating like it was before. Also Lamictal has reduced my hypomania probably by half, and makes it barely noticeable unless I am trying to sleep. A huge plus is that I've had ZERO side effects of any kind (other than temporary ones when increasing doses), which is very rare for antidepressants and anti-mania drugs. Hope this was helpful and hopeful"

msh27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I started on Lamictal after having manic episodes on Zoloft as well as Wellbutrin. I was a heavy cigarette and marijuana smoker. In the first couple weeks of starting Lamictal, I was able to quit smoking weed and cigarettes!! I didn't have insomnia as I previously did when trying to quit marijuana. My mood was much improve. I had been suicidal before and I started exercising again on Lamictal. I developed an unknown rash about 2 years into Lamictal and stopped immediately. The rash disappeared. It looked like 8 mosquito bites all over my legs. I was forced to try Abilify which made me gain over 40 pounds and take naps during the day. Today, I have started back on Lamictal and am back on track with exercising and enjoying life."

Kira123456789 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I had a series of severe episodes in '14 and that's when I began this drug. Initially it made me really drowsy but it was manageable. Otherwise I've had absolutely no problems! Only downside is that its levels can be easily affected/lowered with other drugs. In order to take birth control pills I had to nearly double my lamictal dosage as the estrogen made my lamictal levels plummet."

Beci192_2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar 2, BPD, anxiety, and PTSD from past trauma. I have taken many drugs over the years, including SSRI's and lithium carbonate. No medication has help with my anxiety, depression, and mood swings anywhere near as effectively as Lamictal. Within 2 weeks I felt like "myself" again. I felt like a weight had been lifted. My appetite and sleep patterns also became more normalised. I am on 100mg twice a day. And have been for about 6 months. I was ready to give up on medications, then I was but on Lamictal. It was like night and day. It's hard to describe, honestly. But I feel much for content and happier in general. The only side effect I can remember is when I missed a dose, I got very aggravated and moody. Much love!"

Ellis d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I've been taking Lamotrigine for close to a year now, as a alternate for my previous seizure medicine. I am able to continue using Depo birth control, and although there's a small chance I get slight insomnia, it works quite well for me. Two a day, 100 mg each."

Arela (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on this medication for 1 year or even 2 years with 300 mg. I still have extreme mood swings and it doesn't help at all, I want lithium or other bipolar medicine - this doesn't work at all for me. I'm really scared to gain weight while on some other medication because I already gained 20 kg from an antipsychotic medicine before but I can live with this. My bipolar illness gets worse and worse I still have a good medicine "base" tho. It's not as extreme as a couple of years ago but I'm only 19 years old so I'm looking forward trying something else."

Linnnn June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I just started lamictal, after tapering off of topamax. Topamax did nothing for me. I have disorder 2 in which I am more manic. I've been on it 3 weeks and so far I have been episode free, which is good for me considering I am a rapid cycler. I've done a lot of research on lamictal and it appears to meet my needs the most. And it's weight neutral. (Topamax never made me lose wight either). Also it doesn't halt your emotions like say lithium, where you are neither nor sad you're just emotionless. I hate that. Lamictal was a great choice for me so far so good!"

Fsndjxn3849 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "In 3 days of use I had itchy scalp within 2 weeks I had to be taken off due to itchy rash on neck and face as it was getting worse. It has been 2 weeks on new medication and I am still having the breakout."

Melissa W12 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been a game changer for me. I have been through the complete bipolar medication gauntlet. I now take 300 mg a day along with 200mg wellbutin, 20 mg of Adderall and hydroxyzine to sleep. I was able to stop taking Xanax because of this awesome drug!! I have had this same regimen for a year and a half. Before this I was about to give up all hope on medicines. Please keep in mind no medicine will never fix your Bipolar Disorder. As far as side effects I have had significant hair loss. I think that started with other medicines though. I have also had EXTREMELY intense dreams. That's something I'm still getting use to."

Rigs June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar 1 disoder. I am on abilify (currently getting off) and Lamictal. Lamictal has helped me level a lot alot. Been a good medicine for me only side effect I noticed is I started yawning alot after taking it."

Beazey June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "After many trials and error, I found that 200mg at bedtime is the best for me. I ran out of refills about 4 months ago and had to go without for another month before I could see a Dr. I know that's not safe but I had no choice. My family as well as myself could notice the difference in my mood swings within a week!"

LaurenB921 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been a life saver. Started when I was 18, after 4 years of unsuccessful treatment plus 2-3 years of emotional instability not treated. Started lamictal and I finally felt like "the person I was always supposed to grow up to be". I do get the "morning woozies" when I increase the dose for worsening symptoms, but I have been more or less in remission. Very minimal side effects, and generally effective as stand alone maintenance drug."

Myself again (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug gave me brain damage and I almost failed out of college. I was a ballerina, but after this medication I couldn't keep balance anymore and couldn't dance. This drug actually ruined my life and it has taking several years for me to recover from the damage it caused me mentally and physically."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I've been taking lamictal for over 15 years. I have to be on a high dose which does give me side effects. My memory is very bad and my balance is a little off. For as much as the memory thing bothers me I'd rather have that than the alternative which is crazy. I hadn't tried "everything" before I tried lamictal but I tried enough meds to know how they did not work like lamictal did. It didn't happen over night. I had to ramp up very slowly not just because of the physical but to see how my mind was. It took about a year to get to my therapeutic dose and it was worth it. Talk to your Dr about everything it does to you. Work together"

3brikk (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't think this works."

Nickolle May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but my psychiatrist put me on this over a year ago for a mood disorder. She built me up to 200 mgs and about a year ago moved me to 150 mgs in the morning and another 150 mgs at night. It's not a miracle pill and I still feel down sometimes and happy at others, but overall I don't get super down like I used to. In conjunction with the other psychiatric medicine I am on, it helps to keep me stable and helps me deal with a very serious disease that I came down with about 3 years ago that has completely turned my world upside down."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "So, I feel like this did help stabilize me a little bit (with depressive states), but I ended up getting acne and redness all over my face. I also had my eyes feel all weird and twitchy. Overall, It was not super effective for me because I still had horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I could not titrate high enough to get effective coverage from the medication without weird side effects. I was only on 75mg maximum, mind you."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on Lamictal for around 4-5 months. After my bipolar depression returned and wasn't being kept under control by my Seroquel and Prozac I did some research and saw Lamictal had decent reviews. My doctor started me on the medication and within a week I began to feel more energized, and happier. That was at 100 mg. I now believe the depression is coming back and I have been upped to 200 mg, along with 40mg of Prozac. The drug has done great things for me so far."

williamsbriana (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal handles most of my symptoms, but I continue to deal with money issues and relationships."

Tom1948 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug has been a lifesaver so far. Especially considering the other "less-than-ideal" medication options for bipolar disorder."

Ellendahl May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It really does work amazingly! I am bipolar II. was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder, but my depression did fluctuate in intensity quite a bit, so my psychiatrist thought Lamictal could work and that I could bipolar. So I started Lamictal (ironically right before I started the Lamictal I started having hypomania and was then properly diagnosed as bipolar II) For weeks it really did not help much - and then I reached the full dose of 200mg. I've been on this dose for a month and have felt completely normal or virtually normal most of the time! The medication isn't perfect though, as the depression ocassionally comes on rather hard, but even when it does it is temporary and NOWHERE near as bad as it was before."

mmay27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've recently started taking lamictal (50 mg) about three days ago for bipolar disorder along with lithium (600 mg) which was originally 900 mg but I found it to be too sedating so my doc lowered it back to 600 and I can honestly say I feel a major difference I feel like my mood is stabilizing and I'm starting to feel happy again and simply normal not too high with unorganized thinking and behavior or a rushed mind with all kinds of racing thoughts or mixed and depressive episodes when I've just felt as if I was in a roller coaster ride with my mood going up and down, and the depressive phase when I didn't care about anything and didn't even want to move and felt hopeless to anyone suffering don't give up and give lamictal a try"

Didi121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017