User Reviews for Lamictal

Epilepsy
6.2

Summary of Lamictal reviews 8.1 522 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I am autistic, not bipolar, but was prescribed Lamictal (400mg) really worked for my major meltdowns. It has decreased my issues by 80-90%. My family can definitely tell when I forget to take it because I turn into a hot emotional mess! I wish I would have had this as a kid because it would have saved me a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety. The ONLY drawback is that the pill tastes absolutely horrible. If I get a taste of it on my tongue, it makes me want to vomit. Sometimes it just won’t go down with my other pills so I’m left struggling to swallow it."

Clumzyklutz (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Lamictal 200mg for 11 years! This is in a combination with many other medications for Bipolar II! I always research my medications myself & ask for what I feel is right for me! So far, so good!"

Tesa (taken for 10 years or more) March 12, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is fantastic for my bipolar. I have been taking it for 20+ years. No side effects. Started at 100 mg up to 300mg now. Doesn’t upset my stomach. I love it. Twice a day keeps the anger away."

Angry Rump (taken for 10 years or more) March 11, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Lamotrigine (the generic Lamictal) for just short of one month. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder recently after years of thinking I had depression and anxiety. Lamictal has worked miracles for me! I can't believe this is how neurotypical people feel day to day. I've been missing out my whole life and wish I took it sooner! I'm productive, I sleep normally, and I experience little to no anxiety or intense moods. Only downfall is I have had some vivid dreams and nightmares but they're definitely not as bad as my mood swings. Not even 100 percent sure they're from the Lamictal. Only reason why I gave it a 9/10 is because I haven't been on it for too long yet (25 MG twice daily)"

Anni (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug genuinely saved my life. I'm 25 and have exhibited depressive symptoms for the past 10 years, which is way too long to wait to get properly treated. It took getting on Effexor and experiencing mixed-states/rapid-cycling/suicidal thoughts before I was correctly diagnosed with Bipolar II. I started feeling positive effects on 100 mg Lamictal. I have been stable on 200 mg for a year now, and the only side effects I experienced were fatigue and mildly fragmented sleep the week after increasing dosage. One of Lamictal's bonus effects for me was tamping down my anxiety and panic to almost nothing - this and lifting my omnipresent depression have truly been a life-changer. No side effects now and I am the most happy, productive, and fulfilled I have been in a decade!"

Potato (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I had tried every kind of medication for my bipolar condition and this was the only one that worked well. I had no bad side effects I took this for1 0 years I highly recommend"

dede (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 27, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is the best drug I’ve ever taken. I had severe low moods for 5 years and they were totally gone at 300 mg. It took 3 years for me to even hit a depressive low, and that was because of a real life event. I am still eccentric and exercize like a maniac. The drug is not great alone for mania and anxiety. No hair loss, no mental dulling, does not make you tired, ZERO sexual side effects. Take only for bipolar depression, not for problems associated with extreme highs. If you are lucky enough to take this without the extreme side effects that some experience during titration, you are taking the most effective drugs to manage low mood swings. Rarely does a drug have such positive reviews. (Taken for 4 years)"

JBreezy1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Has anyone experienced confusion and difficulty with words while on lamictal?? Just started taking it on the 17th of January. I'm very scared of psych meds."

Robin (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Be Very Careful! I was given this medication for Bipolar with small increases in dosage because I'm very sensitive to medications. However I did experience a very negative side effect attacking my nervous system. One day as I was typing on my computer after taking this medication my legs felt funny at first and then went numb which landed me on the floor nearly helpless. The only part of my body I could feel were my upper part of body from elbows up! Using my elbows to drag myself to a phone for help. PLEASE be careful when starting this medication! Due to my severe reaction to this medication I filed a report with F D A."

JE (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I am not bipolar. My doctor prescribed it to me as an extra antidepressant. I never noticed a difference from the beginning to the end, but I started having very very disturbing nightmares. I had one nearly every night. I am not exaggerating. I know it’s not a known symptom, but I swear it was the Lamictal. I took a two week break from it and the dreams stopped. Once I started it again, the dreams returned. I feel a lot better now that I am no longer taking it."

Annietheapple (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Ten years on antidepressants. Numerous breakdowns with family, jobs, courses, my wallet and the bottle. Spent the last 2 years going to work only to come home to sleep. Lost my two children. House and car a tip. Drove literally everyone away. Slowly came to the realisation that the world may be better without me. I got diagnosed with bipolar/ bpd rapid cycling and now on day 3 of lamactil. Weaning off effexor. My house is clean, I can prioritize things, I seem to be clawing my way out of that dark space in my mind. I'm motivated to leave the house and am hopeful about cleaning up my financial messes. If I had been diagnosed earlier I might still have my children. This medication is saving my life."

Realname (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Lamotrigine for a month now and so far it has changed my life around. With bipolar 2 I suffered a depressive state for over a month and quit my job because it got so bad. I am taking 100mg right now and I have not experienced any adverse side effects except for sleeping longer than usual with vivid dreams. A couple side effects I would consider positive is that I am not constantly hungry anymore and libido has improved so lovey dovey with my husband all the time. It has also helped reduce my urge of drinking alcohol. This is the best medicine I have ever been on after doctors were treating me with SSRIs for the past 10 years until a new doctor diagnosed me with bipolar 2. A+++ for Lamotrigine."

happysad89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on this medicine for only a month, but I couldn't take it any longer. I had a constant sore throat and nasal congestion, brain fog and more but most difficult to me was how deeply depressed I felt on this medicine and it didn't lift till I quit taking it. I was always crying and I'm not a crier. I had no positive benefits unfortunately. I had high hopes lamictal would help with the low side of bipolar while my lithium helps keep the mania away."

Lucy (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Seizure Prevention "I take this for Nocturnal epilepsy"

Anonymous November 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Causes an obscene amount of hair loss. Many other people have experienced the same problem. Have tried every vitamin and supplement to stop it but nothing has worked. Really improves my mood, but detrimental to the hair on my head. When I stop taking it, my hair grows back rapidly but my mood plummets. Wish someone would come out with an improved version that does not cause hair loss. It’s a big problem."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I've taken this med on and off since it was approved for BP. It's like day and night when on or off it. Every time I start taking it again I always think "why did I ever stop this". I've taken so many drugs over the last 30 years and this is the only one that works."

Jhuckmg25 (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only been on lamictal for just under 2 weeks so I can't say I've given up on it yet, but so far this med has done nothing noticeable to help me at all. In fact, every day when I take my 50 mg, exactly 1 hour after I've ingested the pills I feel painfully depressed and lethargic. Also my vision is blurry, I have little clusters of zits all over my face when I usually have pretty good skin. Disappointing but I'm not giving up yet. If it weren't for my lithium, I would have to quit the lamictal because of the severe depression I feel."

Lucy (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My bipolar disorder type II was untreated for my whole adult life, and I am now 40 and am treated. I can say without a doubt that this drug has changed my life. I used to be angry at everyone, constantly agitated, hypo-manic and productive or hypomanic and destructive, or, most of the time, severely depressed and full of self-doubt. My life is entirely different, I go through most days feeling absolutely fine in my mind and body. When I don't feel great, I am able to check in on myself and take note of my symptoms, which then dissipate as soon as I comprehend them. My therapist says my pre-frontal lobes have come back and I have my higher functioning back again—it's been years since I felt this in touch with my thoughts and desires. Take a note of this: it didn't work hardly at all until I got up to the 200mg dose. In fact, I was almost as bad or worse until then with my cycling, but at 200mg it was like "magic.""

Johnny October 20, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been taking lomtrigine for a year now. It has made me more depressed than I was before I started this medication. My emotions are totally numb. I don't have any joy in my life. It's like I am a walking zombie just going through the motions. I would not recommend this drug. It has helped some people but it's not worth the side effects for me."

Gilmore11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been prescribed Lamictal since 2013, and it changed my life. I was incorrectly diagnosed with depression at 18, (I'm 34 now) and the patterns of my mania and lows wasn't recognized till I was 30. After a Psychiatric assessment, I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 disorder, and was prescribed Lamictal, and I feel great. No side effects that really stand out, haven't had major highs or lows, and I feel like I took control back over my life."

sideshowjenna October 13, 2018

"It’s frustrating to know that I’m one of the few persons on which Lamictal had terrible side effects. Once I started the 50mg, I had severe diarrhea, nightmares, dizziness. A week after, I had to increase the dose to 75mg and I thought I was gonna die. The diarrhea became horrible (went 7 to 8 times a day to the bathroom), I had light stool, kidney pain, severe dizziness (fell down twice), a very intense back pain (couldn’t stand up or walk) and my level of ferritin dropped to 13 (probably because of the diarrhea). I had to stop the medication. Now I’m just on a 25mg with tegretol. I have cyclothymia and still searching for the correct medication to work on me."

CCLN (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

For Epilepsy "I’m 46 y/o female and started Lamictal after sudden onset of seizures. Unknown cause. I have Crohn’s disease and have had my entire large intestine removed along with most of my small intestines. I’ve noticed my mood has improved, which is a welcome effect! Rather than being a human slug, I’m able to complete some housework and...wait for it.....DO LAUNDRY!!! The only issue I’ve had is cystic acne that got pretty bad when I was taking over 100 mg day. I now take just 100 mg and no more acne or rash. No seizures except a few when coming out of aenesthesia after some procedures or surgery. This has been remedied by getting premeds and IV seizure meds when having surgery. I’m happy again and look forward to the future!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "this drug made me a zombie, numbed my passion, my energy, my empathy, and what makes me myself. I'll take living a partially-psychotic existence over a dulled/lifeless one."

Enchantress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Gave me crippling depression pretty much instantly. Would not recommend."

Megumi (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking this drug off and on for BP1 since 2004. I do not think it has pulled me out of a major depression alone. However, I do think I have been less depressed during those years I took it. I took it alone consistently from 2004-2011 and only had about two depressions which were partially circumstantial and were moderate. I did not become suicidal in either one. After I went off it in 2011 on the advice of an anti-psychiatry psychiatrist I had suicidal thoughts on several occasions and became moderately depressed at least once a year. I lacked insight at the time but in retrospect I was missing the protection Lamictal has given me. I take it with Lithium now and it is a good combo."

alt jay (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2018