User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Epilepsy 2 reviews 40 medications

Seizure Prevention 41 reviews 32 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 411 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Diagnosed with Bipolar twenty two years ago. Treated initially with lithium and Carbamazepine. I stopped taking everything and existed for years. Extremely bad depression last fall which left me a total shell without memory, emotion, feeling. I am now starting on lamictal as it is time for me to live again rather than exist. Thank you all for your feedback. I am actually looking forward to starting this drug and will keep you updated x"

Anabanana217 March 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I am bipolar 2 and take 300mg per day. Has changed my life so much. Helped me kick my alcohol addiction and impulsiveness. The last two years have been great. No drug is perfect however, and the withdrawals can be bad. Make sure you take it every day. So I gave it an 8 because I feel great if I keep up with it. I take it right after I wake up because it helps wake me up and gives me energy. Also makes me very patient with myself, other people and just life in general throughout the day. At my current dosage I wouldn't hesitate to call it a smart drug for me because it lessons my impulsive tendencies and quickness to anger. If this doesn't work for you, don't fret, I study medicine, and there is usually always something available to help."

Pugsta March 8, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I haven't found the perfect medication, but this is among the best so far. What is nice is that is also indicated for pain and helps my severe pain condition by reducing neuropathic pain."

CB114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking 200 mg. Lamictil for the last 2.5 months in combo with 60 mg. Cymbalta. I feel much less manic than before Lamictil but feel Cymbalta is too activating & makes me manic. Seeing my shrink soon to sort it out."

Ntended (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "For me the side effects greatly outweighed the benefits since I didn't feel any benefits. This medicine might be effective for the treatment of something. However bi-polar/depression not so much. Not a whole lot of fun when you stop taking it either."

Huro1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've used Lamictal for several years and I feel that it is a very effective drug with little to no side effects. Moods are quite stable; although I still do get some depression. Overall, I've been extremely stable for the past 3 years taking it with a combination of Lexapro for depression."

Velveteen Rabbit March 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication completely turned my life around. For 2 years I've been going through countless of antidepressant cocktails without much luck (one of them was Effexor and Mirtazapine which apparently is one of the most effective combos) It was until a few months ago when I demanded being evaluated for bipolar disorder, and after a few tests they put me on Lamictal (in combination with Wellbutrin, Prozac and Mirtazapine) the first titration weeks was hell, my mood was all over the place. But early February everything did a 180 and now I'm finally able to live a normal adult life"

Bipolar2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on 400 mgs for six years. In that time it messed with my testosterone. My doctor never said anything about it. Still suffered from manic depression, depression anxiety."

Dean Winchester February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I wanted to add to my review. Besides developing a very bad rash & chest pains, sometimes Lamictal would give me heartburn & indigestion too. It would last for hours & I would be very nauseated. I never had heartburn or indigestion before, so I know it was the medicine that caused it. I'm so glad I don't take it anymore."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I've had a few unpleasant side effects. I feel truly blessed with this medication. I had bipolar 2 and other more common medications were not an option for my mood disorder. It keeps me so much more stable. I took a lot of drugs before and was suicidal. I was able to get off drugs and stopped my suicidal urges. I had grown unfaithful with psychiatry. I was sure that this medicine would not work like every other thing but it helped me so much. There are so many positive effects. Prevents suicidal urges, lessen depression, relaxes my body, helped me take lower doses of Xanax, helps anxiety, helps sleep, Happy sometimes Cons - It effects my memory bad and I've lost a lot of hair. I'm a girl and my hair is really thinning out. :/"

Jennycccxzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is a great medication. The titration takes quite a while, but it's worth it -- honestly. It isn't too effective at controlling the hypo or full blown mania -- as something like Geodon -- but it's a crown jewel for depression, especially treatment resistant depression. In terms of side effects there are few to none for most people. What I got was some mild dizziness and photosensitivity/blurred vision (a little irritating but nothing serious). In combo with Zoloft this was the "power cocktail" I was on for years."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I started at 25 mg of Lamictal. After 2 weeks my doctor increased it to 50 mg. 2 weeks after increasing my med I noticed a minor skin rash on my chest one night. I overlooked it & continued taking the Lamictal. When my doctor increased it to 100 mg that is when I started having a bad reaction. That night I broke out in a bad rash on my chest, stomach & left arm (not my right arm). I also started having bad chest pains. I called my doctors office the next day & the nurse told me to stop taking the Lamictal & go to the hospital. I'm stubborn, so I refused to go. My chest pains had gone away & the rash was clearing up, so I wasn't as worried about it as I was the night before. I decided to go to the EmergiCare instead & I turned out to be OK"

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm bipolar and I guess for a year or two I was trying to stabilize my mood with pain killers (I've had cervical spine surgery and lung surgery so have access). When I started taking Lamictal it seemed like my pain subsided and I was able to easily quit using my medication. Also haven't felt a need to drink alcohol. Feel very stable and seems like my interests are coming back. I've taken lamictal before for a couple years and don't remember why I got off. First time I took it I got a rash but it went away. This time have not experienced a rash. Taking 200mg morning 200mg night. Seems to be a perfect dose for me. So much easier with my business, wife, and kids. They didn't deserve my mood swings."

RuinerLabs February 1, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "I moved from quetiapine to lamictal about six weeks ago. I have stopped itching as badly now, and feel quite good. Currently taking 200mgs. I am having trouble sleeping, Here in England Dr doesn't prescribe sleeping pills. I'm very tired in the morning as a result and early evening, then come alive! I feel things better, my anger and irritation has subsided. I have lost a stone in weight in last 8 weeks.. this has helped, so feel more positive. I wish I could relax though."

Twigletto (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "It was fantastic when I started taking it, I finally felt myself after 3 years of feeling possessed or going crazy...after 3 years of taking it I started to have cysts behind my ears, in my face, especially in the chin, and when I realized it was lamictal that was causing it I stopped it. I still have cysts, I was told it's an allergic reaction on my skin to the drug. Now, after 2 years not taking it the cysts are appearing still but not as fast or defacing as it was. I read on forums the condition could never cure, but I am seeing good progress on my skin. It was a nightmare, it even gave me cysts on my scrotum. The body is slowly expelling them, but very slowly. I also have 3 cysts on my left nipple and I think those will need surgery."

denisignr (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "I cannot stop singing its praises. Two years ago I had no idea what was wrong with me, I felt "fogginess" and tried everything- declared "headaches" caused by anxiety or depression, had to take a year off of school since I couldn't function; xanax helped but I didn't understand why, and about 17 other antidepressants or antianxiety medications later I was put on lamictal due to a diagnosis of BPD. Almost instantly, from that initial does of 25mg I started being able to focus and the fogginess lifted. As the dosage increased to 150mg to twice a day, I was given back all waking hours of clarity. I could focus, produce, study, think clearly, remember clearly, everything. As a result of being given power back, the depression vanished."

Anonymous January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Our 16 year old son was diagnosed with Bipolar and placed on many medicines that made him worse. Once he started on Lamictal, he is making wonderful progress, having clearer thinking and more stable moods. He stated that the medicine is really helping him. He has been on this medicine for several months at a low dosage and we are seeing our son come back!"

My3SonsRGreat January 25, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Well, I don't know if I'm the only one on here but this did not work very well for me. My skin started being much more red (especially in my face). Under my eyes looked sickly. I had a harder time falling asleep. I even began to have ocular problems. I still was having panic attacks and severe depression--I suppose I was less manic though?"

kcgirl1234 January 25, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamotrigine was the first medication I was prescribed after being diagnosed with bipolar II at 32 years old. Almost immediately, I felt more even. As I was titrated from 25 mg to 250 mg over a few months, I was lifted out of a severe, crippling depression. Lamotrigine is my %u201Cpep%u201D drug because it works for me as an antidepressant. I did go manic on it a couple times when the medication dosage was increased and had to go on a second medication (Neurontin) to %u201Cbring me down.%u201D But the two meds together work to even me out. Overall, I think this is a great medication. I%u2019ve had no major side effects except severe insomnia but the second medication sleeping medication help manage that."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizure Prevention "I guess I mostly have a lot of questions. I had one seizure in August, 2014 or at least that's what I was told when I woke up in a hospital. I was put on Keppra 750mg 2x a day. In 2015 I was diagnosed as Bipolar. I was put on Lamictal 100mg 1x a day. I've had many EEG's and MRI over the past 2 years, most recently November, 2016. I just met with my Neurologist last week and he said that my latest EEG confirmed, yet again, I have 'abnormal electricity full brain every 4-5 seconds', which I've had since birth. Now I have to do an Ambulatory EEG for 3 days/nights and bloodwork. Urrggh!!! Somebody please wake me up from this nightmare! Questions - Why Lamictal for Bipolar when it's for seizures? Why a 3 day EEG? Why Keppra & Lamictal?"

Urrggh! (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder "Hi all, I left my opinion last year around October. And things have changed just a bit. I understood my illness is genetic Bc my uncle had it and my dad has it but don't accept it I guess. Anyway 70% of cases have a genetic background so feel better about that. You didn't chose this. I feel Lamictal is not working as well after two years but not a major change. I will increase it from 200mg to 250 this week. I control my depression with clonazepan. I feel anxiety makes depression worse. So when it kicks in then I feel stronger enough to make a prayer and it goes away.we need to do some work in our brain. Everything that is negative you change it for "yes" and I can and I will."

The Athalaian (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizure Prevention "I was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in my left parietal part of my brain in 2015 after I had a stroke at 21. I had it removed in 2016. I was on dilantin and it made me feel horrible. After my surgery in the hospital I had a seizure 3 times and they came in increments of 3. I was then put on Keppra with Dilatin. No good. My moods went crazy. Then they switched me to Lamical with a low dose of dilantin eventually weaning off of the dilantin. I was put on 400 mg of lamictal. Just recently I had a bad seizure and now they increased my does to 600mg. It is working but I feel very disconnected and spacey. Its helping with seizures but not liking the side effects. I am now looking into a device called Responsive neurostimulation (RSN). looking for alternatives but so far lamical works"

Jaz_4 January 13, 2017