User Reviews for Lamictal

Epilepsy 5.4
Summary of Lamictal reviews 8.0 603 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

GettingHealthy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 6, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’m taking Lamotrigine for bipolar PMDD and I’m amazed by the results. I’m now on Lamotrigine 200mg x 2 per day and have very few truly low days. I’m much more engaged with my life, kids, friends; when asked how I am I can genuinely say I feel good or even great. Side effects initially just nausea & nystagmus when I increased the dose. The nausea has now come back & I’m struggling to eat enough. I eat regularly until I feel sick but am loosing 2-3lb per month & I wasn’t big to begin with. I’ve also been more distracted & it’s harder to remember things. I even get distracted when driving & have more extreme hyper days. But I’m also getting much more done so at the moment that feels great. My Dr says Lamotrigine is great for depression but not so good for the hyper end so suggests I either add in Ampriprazole or lower my dose, which I’m trying first. For me the life changing benefits by far outweigh the side effects. I just need to sort out the weight loss.”

Maepoo · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 28, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Lamictal helped with the irritability and depression and sleep for me. I did have to increase dose.”

Mentally well❤️ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve taken this drug Lamictal for about 7 weeks now and guess what? My life has turned so positive! I am a way happier and stable human. I no longer lash out or get mad over any little thing that would trigger a manic stage. I’ve been able to deal with stress without freaking out, literally can't believe it! I highly recommend this to anyone with bipolar!!!! Good luck and God bless”

Jewls86 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on this drug Lamictal total time of 14 months. I've been able to drop my Bipolar meds down from 4 different kinds to just lamictal only for four months now. My experience is one for the books. Diagnosed with bipolar I had tried so many different kinds of medications. My medicine cabinet looked like a freaking pharmacy. Now I am down to one drug a day! That drug is lamictal!!!! Literally my saving grace. All the psychiatrist I saw. All the different medication combinations I had tried only scratched the surface. My newest psychiatrist suggested this drug. I was skeptical because none of the other Drs I saw suggested it and I didn't know it existed. This drug is a miracle.... It has changed how I live. How I care for my kids. How I see the world. The best part is I'm me again.”

Catlady · Taken for 10 years or more August 24, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Have successfully managed my bi polar since 1999 with Lamictal. On 400 mg/day for last 10 years. The only issues sometimes get dizzy on step ladder (I avoid) blurry vision late night, a little flat, increased sex drive. I went undiagnosed for 35 years. This drug has saved my life! I’ll take a little flat over crying for days at a time or 5 days straight, no sleep, cooking and repainting and redecorating 3 rooms in the house. In those 5 days. That including DIY furniture and window treatments and yes, spending $ I didn’t have! I have several businesses, cash in bank, bills paid, fairly reg sleep. Lamictal saved my life after my divorce 21 yrs ago.”

kuno78 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I did quite well on lamictal for my Bipolar on 150mg. Upon reaching 200mg, I had unbearable anxiety, constant panic attacks, headaches, horrible nausea, and vomiting. I would recommend easing up gradually and staying at a lower dose if possible.”

Doe · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “It worked well but over the course of a 1.5 years, I had hair loss on my head and even body hair was not growing back. My tests came back indicating minor hyperthyroidism and I had constant constipation/gas. I gained a lot of weight too which is weird. It turned out the lamictal was causing problems with my biotin/vitamin b intake. After talking to my psych and stopping lamictal and taking biotin supplements, I could finally pass stool easily and slowly my hair grew back... though I sort of missed my leg and underarm hair not growing. My weight and tsh level went back to normal after a few months too. Overall, it worked but the side effects weren't good for me. So again, it helped me a lot, but”

Tans May 2, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Excellent drug for treatment of bipolar depression. When used in combination with venlafaxine , these drugs changed my life”

travelersheart · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was on 200 mg lamotrigine for about a half a year and did not like the way it made me feel. After voicing my concern that I felt "flat lined, indifferent to everything, and lacked confidence", my doctor did not listen. I weaned myself off because it was too distressing for me and all this started to worsen my social anxiety. I know this is not the case for everyone, but if you have had the same struggles, then this may not be the drug for you. Also, a more serious and medical side effect I had was heart palpitations, specifically tachycardia.”

Starlight · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was on buspar for anxiety and wellbutrin for depression. After getting on lamictal I was able to stop the buspar. I feel like this medication is good for anxiety and mood swings. I just overall feel better. I do have a history of peti mall seizures but was on no medications.”

SJ · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

“Have been taking 200mg Lamictal for over 10 years it doesn’t seem to help anymore plus I’m at a different age and stage in my MH. I want to decrease but doctors and psychs keep avoiding it I think because there are no studies on long term issues with withdrawal and decreasing. Getting to the point where I’m going to just try decrease myself by halving my pills”

Joe April 20, 2020

For Seizure Prevention: “Taking 200 mg Lamictal 2 x per day, after eliminating Dilantin which did not prevent several partial and one general seizure after a stroke, and caused sensitivity to noise and paranoia, enabled me to lead seizure free life with few impairments. After 19 years, now taking 25 mg Lamictal 1x or 2x per day maintenance dose, I established through trial and error that Lamictal causes a temporary stiffness or numbness around the mouth and eye of the left side of my face, the vision is impaired.”

Iz · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Lamictal has completely changed my life. I take it in conjunction with a low dose of abilify, and the combination has kept me from having manic/depressive for about a year straight now, something I never thought possible. At first I was just on abilify— a pretty high dose— and while it kept me free from hypomania, it didn’t really do much for the depression. Lamictal, on the other hand, has worked wonders in that respect. Very little side effects— I wake up nauseous but it fades after about an hour, and it’s definitely worth it. Other than that, no weight gain, and I believe it may have actually increased my previously nonexistent sex drive. The best part of lamictal is that I don’t feel flat or subdued. I’m still having the normal ups and downs of life, but for the first time, I feel pretty confident that they’re not bipolar related. It’s really been a miracle drug for me.”

kb February 23, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Worest drug ever, made me very ill. Lost tremendous amounts of weight, and didn't help my depression or mania.”

Peachy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 18, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “My highs aren't as high, my lows aren't as low, and for the first time in my life I actually have the motivation to accomplish things. Really the only way I can tell if I am manic or depressed is by the amount of sleep I can get. I am so grateful for this drug. I'm on 200mg once a day, with very few side effects. I have wacky dreams and dry mouth, but that's about it-- I've just gotten accustomed to drinking more water, lol.”

Angel · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “When I started taking it I had the worst side effects (dizziness, diarrhea, blured vision, nausea). Some days, I couldn't go to class. I started with 25mg and went all the way to 150mg. But it is really working. I've been taking it for 4 months and I never been this stable in my life. I feel good, better than ever. I underestimated the illness, but medication is the key. Therapy helps a lot too.”

Helpful · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 13, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been taking lamictal for about 3 years now, it has helped me tremendously. I initially started taking it for anxiety, as a mood stabilizer. It was an interesting prescription for anxiety, but it acted as a mood stabilizer for me. This was really helpful at the time because I was experiencing extreme, crippling, paralyzing anxiety. I was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has found this to help with some symptoms as well. Unfortunately it does not help me reduce feelings of mania. I do experience most side effects of this drug, but very mildly and manageable. I was able to function normally again after beginning this journey on lamictal.”

Watercolor · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I developed Tardive Dyskinesia after less than 2 months on lamictal for depression”

FTFxBean · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I just started Lamictal a few days ago and am already seeing a huge difference in my mood. I’m actually happy and productive. It does cause a bit of insomnia but other than that I haven’t noticed any side effects.”

CCT January 29, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Absolutely horrible, Worked okay for the first few days. Then I went into completely hypomanic episodes and extreme anger every couple of days - week after over and over. Drove me to the end of my own wits and my families. Did not work for me.”

Hereditary epilepsy guy January 24, 2020

For Seizure Prevention: “Diagnosed with complex partial seizures in the right lobe of my brain. My mother had full epilepsy. I was 6 when diagnosed the diagnosis was determined after taking a 24 hour continuous EEG by me wearing a small backpack monitor and the needle sensors in my head with a protective covering cap. Prior to the medication, I would throw a temper tantrum if I didn't get a cookie when I wanted it. I would become violent and bite my parents and spit in their face when they would restrain me. The neurologist surgeon said by taking the medication for only two years I would grow up and not develop epilepsy. After taking meds from the very beginning I never had another violent temper tantrum. I took the meds for the two years never experienced any side effects. I am now 21 years old .”

Suzy Q · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Ok, so I've been on several different antidepressants and antipsychotics to no avail. When my Doctor suggested lamictal I thought ok, here we go again..... well I just want to say I've been on 25mg for 2 weeks and just upped the dose to 50mg 2 days ago. I honestly feel so much better. She said it could take weeks, but it literally took about 5 days to notice a difference. My racing thoughts and deep depression are getting better daily. It's such a relief. I finally have some hope. I don't want to die every second of the day. The only other Medication I take is Ativan as needed. Don't give up! I can't believe this is actually working!!!”

SLilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on Lamictal 200 mg for six weeks now after a slow titration. Added to 300 mg Seroquel and 30 mg Cymbalta. Unfortunately I haven't noticed any improvement. I was recently diagnosed with rapid cycling BP II although I have never experienced hypomania. My mood swings from normal to deep anxiety/depression within each day. Wake up every morning with paralyzing anxiety/depression. My mood improves in the afternoon and in the evenings I usually feel fine - only to wake up feeling miserable the next day. This has been my pattern now for 18 months and I am beyond exhausted. I am meeting my psychiatrist this week to discuss my diagnosis and switching meds.”

Marc · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

For Seizure Prevention: “My sister died today due to side effects from this drug. It is ruthless. She lost 2 layers of skin over 90% of her body as it caused Stevens-Johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis. She was bandaged from head to toe and blood seeping through the bandages. Though claimed this outcome is rare. I encourage you to consider other options. My sister was healthy and today lost her life due to the side effects of this drug that should not be on the market. Think twice.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2019

“I have Visual Snow Syndrome and Lamictal is not a miracle drug, but it slows down the frequency of my static and decreases the trails and after images I see. It also helps with my depression. No serious side effects so far. it's wroth trying.”