User Reviews for Lamictal

Epilepsy
6.2

Summary of Lamictal reviews 8.2 504 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have been taking lomtrigine for a year now. It has made me more depressed than I was before I started this medication. My emotions are totally numb. I don't have any joy in my life. It's like I am a walking zombie just going through the motions. I would not recommend this drug. It has helped some people but it's not worth the side effects for me."

Gilmore11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been prescribed Lamictal since 2013, and it changed my life. I was incorrectly diagnosed with depression at 18, (I'm 34 now) and the patterns of my mania and lows wasn't recognized till I was 30. After a Psychiatric assessment, I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 disorder, and was prescribed Lamictal, and I feel great. No side effects that really stand out, haven't had major highs or lows, and I feel like I took control back over my life."

sideshowjenna October 13, 2018

"It’s frustrating to know that I’m one of the few persons on which Lamictal had terrible side effects. Once I started the 50mg, I had severe diarrhea, nightmares, dizziness. A week after, I had to increase the dose to 75mg and I thought I was gonna die. The diarrhea became horrible (went 7 to 8 times a day to the bathroom), I had light stool, kidney pain, severe dizziness (fell down twice), a very intense back pain (couldn’t stand up or walk) and my level of ferritin dropped to 13 (probably because of the diarrhea). I had to stop the medication. Now I’m just on a 25mg with tegretol. I have cyclothymia and still searching for the correct medication to work on me."

CCLN (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

For Epilepsy "I’m 46 y/o female and started Lamictal after sudden onset of seizures. Unknown cause. I have Crohn’s disease and have had my entire large intestine removed along with most of my small intestines. I’ve noticed my mood has improved, which is a welcome effect! Rather than being a human slug, I’m able to complete some housework and...wait for it.....DO LAUNDRY!!! The only issue I’ve had is cystic acne that got pretty bad when I was taking over 100 mg day. I now take just 100 mg and no more acne or rash. No seizures except a few when coming out of aenesthesia after some procedures or surgery. This has been remedied by getting premeds and IV seizure meds when having surgery. I’m happy again and look forward to the future!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "this drug made me a zombie, numbed my passion, my energy, my empathy, and what makes me myself. I'll take living a partially-psychotic existence over a dulled/lifeless one."

Enchantress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Gave me crippling depression pretty much instantly. Would not recommend."

Megumi (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking this drug off and on for BP1 since 2004. I do not think it has pulled me out of a major depression alone. However, I do think I have been less depressed during those years I took it. I took it alone consistently from 2004-2011 and only had about two depressions which were partially circumstantial and were moderate. I did not become suicidal in either one. After I went off it in 2011 on the advice of an anti-psychiatry psychiatrist I had suicidal thoughts on several occasions and became moderately depressed at least once a year. I lacked insight at the time but in retrospect I was missing the protection Lamictal has given me. I take it with Lithium now and it is a good combo."

alt jay (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I put myself into inpatient psych voluntarily. I was so depressed that I actually heard a man talking out of my sealing fan and next to my table that evening there was a couple talking to each other. Crazy right? I committed myself the next day . Finely after nine months with the VA I had a psychiatrist that talked to me and cared. He put me on this med to quiet my mind and what blessing. I have had no side affects and tomorrow I increase my dose. I would have sat in yoga practice all day and evening to have this stilled mind. Now I know what other vets go through. Good luck to everyone on their journey, blessings."

Confused vet (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Epilepsy "I take 500mg a day (have 2 separate prescriptions since it's above the maximum). Taking it for the last 5 years. It's been almost a year since I've had a seizure. At first, while I was increasing the dosage it gave me extremely lucid dreams (like, wake up thinking that it was real kind of thing). After you're on it for a while, it's pretty much just life. Only bad I can think of is how irritable I get when I'm hungry and I feel crummy when my blood sugar is low. It's made me put on some weight which I hate. Can't wait to get off this stuff and have no seizures and lose weight!"

Zach Ger (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Not so much sharing as a question. I was recently told I am bipolar 2 and was given lamictal and have been taking it for only a week but absolutely hate how I am feeling. I feel nonhuman. I can't stay awake. I feel helpless or hopeless not really sure which. Please tell me this gets better or am I beyond help. Do I just live with the ups and downs that I've been living with for almost all of my 48 years..."

Confused 1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Very effective as mood stabilizer I take 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg before bed. Had no side effects. I take it with 1 mg of rivotril "klonopin" before bed. No depression no mania. For anyone with bipolar disorder try it. Its worth it. Lamictal is much better than zyprexa because zyprexa has many side effects."

Meshal (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed Lamictal for cyclothymia disorder. Although I have only been on Lamictal for 3 months (200mg), I have noticed a significant change in my sleeping habits. I went from being hypomanic and only sleeping 2-4 hrs a night, to sleeping a normal 8. Lamictal has made me a morning person, something I never thought was possible. It has dampened my depressive episodes considerably, as I no longer have hypersomnia with intense despair. The only side effect I experienced was moderate headaches within the first few weeks. I was skeptical and afraid to try this drug but so far I am very glad that I did."

Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2018

For Seizure Prevention "I have been on Lamictal for 13 years. For the first 12 I had similar symptoms as others - poor memory, exhaustion, inability to walk a straight line. No idea why but now my symptoms are slowly going away. My dizzy spells are rare, straight lines aren't difficult and best of all my memory is coming back. It's not as good as before I was on the meds, but I'm happy for anything I can get. My issue is that I'm soon going on Medicare and the cost of this medicine is $12,000/yr. I'm looking into generics and based on the research it seems they have gotten better, but I'm not ready to make the leap yet."

G (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Recently diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder II after many years of battling against depression. Used to self-medicate with cannabis regularly but the strength of it induced psychosis, so have been 6 months without it. The first five months off it were dreadful; hopelessness, poor diet, no exercise, spending all time in bed, not interacting with the world and a downward spiral of self-pity. My Doctor prescribed Lamictal and I was doubtful of its effectiveness. However, I noticed a stabilization in mood after just 3 days of taking 25 mg per day. And after a week, the improvements have increased so that I no longer feel hopelessness with no future. In fact, I feel normal, very normal. My diet has improved and my self-care - washing, cleanliness, etc - has returned. The drug really works and has greatly improved my self confidence and made everything so much easier. I would recommend it anyone suffering depression as it really does work."

Dazzer July 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "After my diagnosis, the first trial of medication I was prescribed was Lamictal, and shortly after, Seroquel. Being 18 at the time, I didn't take it seriously enough at the time, so I didn't take my medication as I was supposed to. I went through 8 trials since that time (9 years). Antipsychotics made me gain TONS of weight, so I took myself off all the ones I had been given trials of. Antidepressants made the condition noticeably much, much worse (I don't recommend them for Bipolarpatients). In 2016, I began to take my Bipolar seriously, and 2 years later, I have never been in a better place. It doesn't help every aspect of BP1, but the duration of time between episodes are so much longer, as well as the severity of the mania or depression being much less intense. No negative side effects, either. Regardless of the episodes I inevitably get, this medication saved my life."

Ali (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have taken Lamictal for well over 10 years for Bipolar Disorder, it's been very effective and helping me keep my moods level, I also take Xanax for anxiety and I also take it if I feel like my moods are starting to fluctuate. I started taking Lamictal when it was a branded medication, I now have been on the generic (Lamotrigine) and it works just as well, I like the Teva generic form of it. It's a diamond shape for the 200mg. I take 200mg 2 times per day for my Bipolar disorder. I hope it keeps working this well for many years. I haven't had any side effects except for cotton mouth, but I try to keep myself as hydrated as possible."

cvdixon29 (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was taking lithium and seroquel to treat bipolar disorder. Lithium seemed to help my “depressive moods” but when Lamictal was added into the mix, it helped even out my manic moods. It works WONDERS for my anxiety!!!! I am so much more calm, levelheaded, and less aggressive on this medication. I would recommend this medication to ANYONE with bipolar (I actually did reccommend to a friend). Seriously a lifesaver!"

MillionDaliBaby (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2018

For Epilepsy "I am currently titrating up to help my day and nocturnal seizures. I am at 50mg morning and night. So far it seems to have helped with the nocturnal but increased my seizures during the day. If you are in Scotland and its the weekend you can go to a chemist and they can supply you with a week of medication to tide you over should you run out, so you don't miss any doses. They will sort out the paperwork and inform your GP that they have given you that medication. Take a repeat slip if you have one and try to stick to a regular chemist and obviously try to remember to order.. easier said than done with multiple medications and memory problems. Your chemist can also order them and deliver if needed."

Purple-Rain-Scotland (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "It's been so great and a life-saver for me! Since beginning the medication in 2004, I haven't had any mania. At 100mg once a daily, I don't have any side-effects other than the usual cotton mouth. I tried generic and had one negative side-effect after another, so I switched to name brand and have been fine. Generic and name brand are NOT the same thing."

Turtle Lady (taken for 10 years or more) May 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been an extremely effective medication for my bipolar. I took 150mg for 5 years but recently increased to 200mg and found that I benefited from the increase. My moods are even more balanced. Wish I had discovered the need for a slightly higher dose sooner. In addition to lamictal I take 150mg of Wellbutrin daily with an occasional break to prevent a hypocrite manic episode. Also take Seroquel for sleep for some other bipolar symptoms. Lastly, Klonopin for general / social anxiety. "

Roma (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "After being formally diagnosed with Bipolar II, I tried Saphris, Abilify and Olanzapine before a different Doctor prescribed Lamictal. It is the gold standard in treating BP depression and was instantly effective for me. My depression diminished, my mood elevated, I had little to no side effect; but my hypomania did not seem to be affected. Years later I tried to wean myself off to start a Lithium/Lexapro combo and I immediately crashed. I will definitely stay on lamictal long term to treat Bipolar depression."

bpd789 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I've been on Lamotrigine for several months now, started a small dosage of 25mg, gradually increasing until I've gotten to 300mg per night. Each increase has improved my mood, made me content and more active. It has also taken away my depressed behavior of lying in bed watching TV series all day and overeating, as well as my sudden breakouts of irritation. I just hope I don't get the Stevens-Johnson syndrome, I don't know if the risk is less the more you've taken the medication without side-effects. Getting SJS would be extremely unfortunate given that I greatly depend on the medication."

Fer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on lamictal for almost a year, along with a daily dose of wellbutrin 150 XL that I have been with for three years. Petite and sensitive to medication, I have done well on 50mg lamictal daily. This medication has brought so much RELIEF! Excellent addition to the wellbutrin. I deal mostly with depression, but also have been very mood sensitive and can be easily "sent over the edge." This medication brings me peace and well being. Having to deal with emotional instability is very stressful and burdensome (for me and those I love). That burden is lifted, as the range of emotions that I have are much more manageable. Less worrying if I am going to have an outburst, which means less shame to deal with. No major symptoms other than very brief, occasional, and mild nausea after I eat. Overall it has made a huge improvement to my quality of life. If you are in need of a stabilizer I hope it works for you!"

grateful for medicine May 11, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Lifesaver! After life long depression and countless other antidepressants, lamictal has allowed me to live a depression free life! Don't have a clue why its so expensive? That is a shame"

40 YR OLD MALE (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My PDoc prescribed it to me, but I refused to accept that I had mild bipolar (type 2). However, my SSRI (Cipralex) was only numbing and sometime energizing me for no reason and eventually... led to inevitable depression dips . I stuck it out for almost 1.5 months on Lamictal only 25 mg's, and trust me, I feel a world of a difference. My life has changed. I feel like I can focus. Although there is MILD emotional numbing, almost stoic, I am able to be present with people and calmly socialize. It is easier to process emotions, which used to be overwhelming before. It allowed my mindfulness and self acceptance practise to skyrocket. Anyone planning on using this. Titrate slowly!!!!! My symptoms were too much handle when I shot up to 50MG's. I might be different, but please be patient with the drug and move slowly."

hmaqsood May 8, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes