User Reviews for Lamictal

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder

Epilepsy
6.6

Summary of Lamictal reviews 7.9 471 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "Took this medication for a 2 months. Lamictal did help with depression but it also gave me bad anxiety and anger. When so would get angry, usually for little to no reason at all. It also worsened my vision. As soon as I stopped this med, my vision came back to normal (as close to normal as it was before Lamictal). It also made me really itchy, but that went away once I stopped it too. All of the side effects were very gradual, so I had no idea that they were because of the Lamictal and didn’t realize that until after I stopped it and they went away."

Spearit (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on Lamictal for 13+ years and it has been a life saver! I take 600 mg every day along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin and my life is as “normal” as possible."

Janasuth January 11, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal every morning has completely defeated my depression! Some itching when I first started it but that went away after a few weeks. Also on Seroquel XR at night to control mania. Never been this stable in my life!"

SkinCare Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed Bipolar Disorder I when I was 18 years old, now 25. Since then, I have tried countless medications that have either caused side effects I couldn't handle, or just didn't seem to work for me. I had tried Lamictal early on after I received my diagnosis, but I was a typical teenager refusing to admit I had a problem. Tried multiple antipsychotics, antidepressants (made me extremely manic), and Lamictal has been the only one that has consistently worked. It doesn't cure all, but it does space out my episodes of mania, which are my most common, and depression, and lessens the severity and length. Ideally, I should pair this with an antipsychotic, but until then, Lamictal has made me a better person. So grateful I found Lamictal."

Colean (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I was wrongly diagnosed with major depression, and spent 10 years cycling through various antidepressants that made my symptoms worse before I was prescribed this. Within days I noticed a major difference. I no longer felt chronically fatigued, and could do more than 1-2 "big" things per day (errands, cleaning, etc...), and was actually excited about being alive. It felt like I had spent years in a fog, but now I'm feeling genuine emotions, and have control over my moods and behavior, which were putting my life and relationships at risk. I'm like a completely different person, and finally feel stable and in control. I'm at the highest dose (300mg) and I am SO happy I found this drug; it's helped make life worth living again."

harris.tr December 24, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Brought me back to earth from flying around solo in my own world. I can now see how my behavior affects my environment, and I can better control my actions. Rapid cycling has turned into once a month during full moons. My dishes get washed instead of just thrown away. Only side effect is vision problems when dose is too high, corrected when lowered. Best medication I have ever taken."

Miss Hyde December 23, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I too got the rash, but I stopped it and it went away. Then I started it again but started with a very small dose and worked my way up slowly and never had a problem."

lee55653 December 13, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine was fantastic - it allowed me to live my life without mood swings and I finally felt like a normal person. I was able to go about my daily routine without getting severely depressed or getting angry at people. Unfortunately this medicine had a very bad side effect for me that made it so I could no longer take it - my private parts were constantly itchy. I went to doctors and they could not tell me anything because they were just as confused as I was, I did not have any infections or anything like that. I traced back the timeline and thought that this medicine was causing it so I decided to stop taking it and sure enough my itchiness went away. This is a great medication but if you have this side effect you are not alone!"

joshmcorreia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have taken this medication twice for Major Depression/Psychosis and both times I have felt horrible. I never felt hungry, my thinking and processing were extremely slow and I felt that "flat feeling." I began it again maybe a month ago and things have gotten worse. I don't recommend, especially for adolescents."

lossil (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2017

For Seizure Prevention "I've been on lamictal for 1 year for seizure prevention/mood swings. I gained weight, have a dry mouth and insomnia. I told my neurologist I wanted to come off seizure meds as I haven't had a seizure for 5 yrs, he said No because the next seizure I have may be fatal! Great bedside manner! Now I have live with side effects as I'm scared to come off lamictal."

Gayn (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has helped with the extreme highs; now they are at a normal level. But that being said, it has only helped the lows a little bit. The lows are still pretty low, so I wish Lamictal helped a little more with that. But I don't experience any (noticeable) side effects, so that's great. I would definitely recommend this!"

Mixed-Files (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

For Epilepsy "Best medicine out there! I've had seizure for 7 years now and used to have them every other day and sometimes a couple in a row to. And about 2 years ago I got put on this medication and has stopped my seizures! I've tried 5 or 6 different medications and this one is the only one that actually worked great! Anyone reading this give it a try because it works!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

For Epilepsy "I have taken 150 mg of this drug for 3 and a half years for condition known as Benign Epilepsy. In that time I've continued to have seizure every six months on average as well as experiencing a number of negative side effects including, insomnia, constant sighing, impaired short term memory, lack of motivation, depressive thoughts and difficulty completing tasks due to lack of motivation."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the absolute wrong drug for me. Not sure why my doc put me on this as I don't have a mood disorder I have depression and anxiety. But I got weird side effects like breathlessness, difficulty swallowing and a feeling of not being able to clear my throat - super phlegmy and I can't get it out which actually increased my anxiety. Once I put two and two together I immediately stopped taking those pills. Not the right med for depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed Lamictil and I did get Steven Johnson disease (a rare and sometimes fatal skin reaction) and was very ill. Luckily I was treated quickly and am on other medication. Just be aware of the symptom of Steven Johnson disease and go to ER immediately. "

Anonymous November 9, 2017

For Epilepsy "I do not like this drug! it gives me an upset stomach, dry mouth, gaining even more weight, makes me feel like I'm about to barf sometimes, I get double vision, dizziness, and even blurred vision. My doctor thought it was such a wonderful idea, and I have told her about my reactions to this medication, but she still thinks its a great medication. I wish she were in my shoes!"

ebanks0000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I was just prescribed this but am freaking out about the chance of getting Steven Johnson’s. Has anyone experienced this and did it go away after you stopped taking it? Will I have to worry about this the entire time I’m on the medication?"

Anonymous October 25, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I've only been taking this for two weeks but I feel a major difference. I am normally super irritable and moody, I feel like this medication has helped me gain the self control to think before I speak. I also feel like it's relieved me of anxiety, when a situation happens I feel so chill. I also am no longer suffering from extreme depression fatigue, I never had energy to help out around the house and I am able to do dishes, laundry etc."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication made me head into a bad downer and I was agitated. When I titrated up to 50mg twice a day I had several agitated and had suicidal episodes which were worse than anything I've had in my life. When I discontinued it I started becoming manic. I then ended up in the hospital. I'm going back to only using Rexulti after this at a higher dose."

Kevin R (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have struggled with severe anxiety and major depression for 30 years. I have been on MANY different anxiety meds and anti depressants. The only 2 meds that helped slightly were Paxil and Ativan for panic/anxiety. I was diagnosed with Bipolar about 5 years ago and once again tried other meds. I heard about Lamictal helping other people, so my doctor said we could try it. It has been a LIFESAVER!! I still take Paxil and Ativan, but after the first few days of taking Lamictal, it helped tremendously with my mood swings. But most important, it improved my anxiety by at least 75% if not more. It has been a Godsend for me. I take 100mg a day. Thanks."

Melindakay1989 October 8, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed Bipolar II back in January after an episode at work. My psychiatrist prescribed lamictal 25mg. I slowly titrated up and am now at 100mg. I was nervous to take it after reading some scary reviews, but it's been a lifesaver for me! I'm finally feeling "normal". I have a lot more stability with my moods. It's even made my moods less intense and not as long lasting. It's also somehow helped me with anxiety. Finally my moods aren't effecting my work or relationships. And I've had zero side effects. I love lamictal so so much."

lavenderlight September 29, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I felt compelled to compose this review as I have been through 33 years of HELL. Like many of you I was labelled as just depressed or anxious - nothing worked, CBT went over my head, SSRIs were ineffective etc. I went on second line SNRI treatment and all hell broke loose! Cycling within minutes literally wanting to tear my own limbs off from frustration then the next minute obsessing over meaningless rubbish. I had had enough of the NHS and my job was on hold having been off a considerable amount of time. I decided to get a private psychiatrist and it was the best money I ever spent. I fit the bipolar 2 spectrum to a millimetre of its criteria - now I knew that I wasn't insane. Lamictal has saved me from suicide literally!"

33 years of hell! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "This is NOT an advertisement: Lamictal changed my life -for the better. After 7 days, it seemed like a miracle, I slowly began to become focused and feel at peace. Lamictal erased all suicidal thoughts. This is really how I experienced it. It speaks for itself. I never acquired any side effects at all. My short and long term memory is increased. My learning capabilities are in fact better now then ever before. I only wish that I had received the meds years earlier. I made a lot of wrong decisions and choices before it, and still have to live with a lot of the damaging consequences, of which I am still trying to make amends. Without Lamictal, I wouldn't be alive today, and that is the truth"

Sean.M September 10, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm taking Lamictal for bipolar type 2. I have been mentally ill for years and only started getting help recently. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, zoloft within the last year and none worked. I started taking Lamictal about 4 months ago and have been on the dose of 300mg a day for about 2 1/2 months. It has made me feel much more stable, not perfect… But much more stable. My stable mood is depressed, so I still am adding an anti-depressant to my list of medications. I'm 25 years old."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "The way lamictal works faster or slow is due to your metabolism. I could go up doses very fast without having the rash but wow I suffered so much while going through this process. It does get worse before it gets better. Once you get to the therapeutic dose then things start to improve. Now; some of us have vivid dreams. Scary sometimes but you get used to them. Also it took me at least 5 months until I got its full benefit. And it may cause you insomnia, need some ambien for that. Ambien stopped working after 5 months. And so when I tried melatonin it worked pretty well. Melatonin didn't work in the first months on this Drug. Only worked after the 5 months and then after few 2 months I didn't need it anymore. I was sleeping well without it."

Prayers works (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2017