User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Seizure Prevention.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Seizure Prevention

"I guess I mostly have a lot of questions. I had one seizure in August, 2014 or at least that's what I was told when I woke up in a hospital. I was put on Keppra 750mg 2x a day. In 2015 I was diagnosed as Bipolar. I was put on Lamictal 100mg 1x a day. I've had many EEG's and MRI over the past 2 years, most recently November, 2016. I just met with my Neurologist last week and he said that my latest EEG confirmed, yet again, I have 'abnormal electricity full brain every 4-5 seconds', which I've had since birth. Now I have to do an Ambulatory EEG for 3 days/nights and bloodwork. Urrggh!!! Somebody please wake me up from this nightmare! Questions - Why Lamictal for Bipolar when it's for seizures? Why a 3 day EEG? Why Keppra & Lamictal?"

Urrggh! (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in my left parietal part of my brain in 2015 after I had a stroke at 21. I had it removed in 2016. I was on dilantin and it made me feel horrible. After my surgery in the hospital I had a seizure 3 times and they came in increments of 3. I was then put on Keppra with Dilatin. No good. My moods went crazy. Then they switched me to Lamical with a low dose of dilantin eventually weaning off of the dilantin. I was put on 400 mg of lamictal. Just recently I had a bad seizure and now they increased my does to 600mg. It is working but I feel very disconnected and spacey. Its helping with seizures but not liking the side effects. I am now looking into a device called Responsive neurostimulation (RSN). looking for alternatives but so far lamical works"

Jaz_4 January 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Started in 2005 with a low dose 50 mg once daily in evening time with no regard to food. It has done a miracle in my case I am virtually 100 % seizure free. No noticeable side effects in my case except dreams in 1st week, as I remember when I started 11 years ago. In 2011 I stopped taking it as I thought I don't need it any more but I had a fit again very soon, so I started again immediately. In 2012, I tried to be over smart and reduced its dose to 25 mg 1 OD, but soon afterwards I had another episode though it was less intense and I controlled myself. Since then I never thought again to discontinue or reduced its dose, I take it each day every day religiously honestly without a break like my breakfast every morning."

imtiazkhan December 31, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, had been on life support twice, longest for 17days, not good, they said it was temporal lobe sclerosis/ skull fractures etc, from playing rugby. I've had many medication changes from clonazapam to keppra & every thing in between" I am currently on 1000g morning/night of Keppra and have started taking 50g lamictal morning/night, as was still have severe absences which keppra couldn't stop" The Absence events have all but stopped after 3mths, although I have not had a good time with constant saliva, spitting. Which I believe is from the "flavour/effervescent" make up of the tablet. Does anyone else have this problem??"

Mr Strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I went through study after study as a kid without diagnosis. I found out 6 months after I had my 1st child at age 22 I had epilepsy. The pregnancy increased my symptoms and seizure to 3-5 times a day. The first med they put me on was lamictal and I stayed on this med for 8 yrs without any distracting symptoms. After I divorced I tried to go off them due to no insurance, I soon realized how well they did work. I ended up going back on them within two months because my seizure ended up coming back as soon as the med eased out of my system. It has now been a combined 12 yrs on this med and I don't intend on changing anytime soon. If you find something that works, it doesn't matter how many reviews you read until you see how your body reacts."

RachaelAB April 12, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Lamictal now for 15 years. We started at around 600 mg/day,but gradually reduced this to 250 g/day,and then after a couple of small seizures this was upped to 300g and I now take200 g at night and 100g in the morning. My doctor says Lamictal dosage must be minimum 250 g day to be effective, with a maxi dosage possible of 1 200 g / day. We did try some Lamictal plus Keppra onthe way,but reverted tojust Lamictal and that was fine. I have had very few seizures since I started - maybe once every3 years - but recently got 2 when I went to Australia and had had a 30 hour trip. Stress and alcohol are linked to my attacks. I have very light epilepsy discovered at age 32. I am very happy with it"

Errollflynn (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So my first seizure was when I was 13, I have tried many meds but this one seemed to work the best. BUT as the years have passed, my memory has been going a lot and it seems to be getting worse and worse. I took it upon myself to stop the medicine cold turkey (I'd been on for 5-6 years now so its NOT recommended).. and yet I haven't had any symptoms of a seizure and my memory is starting to come back. My sister was also on it but for depression, she almost lost her eye sight because she missed 1 day of taking it. So please be careful, and do your research on each drug that you are about to go on."

ChristiR September 24, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I developed epilepsy from a blood clot hours after a operation for a brain Tumor. I tried epanutin, poor side effects, keppra which didn't seem to work. I am now on 325mg morning and night, my grand mal siezures are reduced to head shaking and nearly no side effects after the seizure, I'm 14 stone, a doctor told me I could go to 350 twice a day, but I don't know, I have always had them every three months, thankfully 90% when I'm in bed. Multitasking and memory is effected but I can live with that as it's not bad. I heard doctors say max 325 twice daily, but he thinks I can go to the 350. Thoughts?"

Bernard ave September 13, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking it for many years now for tonic clonic epilepsy and had been well for 3yrs. However out of nowhere last week I had 4 seizures had did some major damage. Has anyone else had this I also take Epilim ."

Cemore (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on Lamictal for a few years and while it eliminated all my daytime seizures my night time sleep seizures continue. I spoke to my neuro and he raised the dosage to 400mg..But I was a zombie with no memory, aphasia, and confusion. Finally I went back to 200mgs and decided to just live with the nighttime seizures. my dr suggested using Xanax to control them. It worked. The odd part that they occur every six weeks like and last for about a week... Anybody else has such regular onset?"

Jaynea July 17, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have started taking lamotrigine with the intention of weaning myself off phenytoin. Unfortunately after 2 weeks and 2 days I have had terrible side effects, splitting headaches, vomiting, nausea, dry mouth and extreme irritability "

Megster June 13, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My neurologist decided to try lamictal with me because of the inefficiency of topamax. As I was weening off topamax, he put me on 300mg of lamictal XR. After a few weeks, I was solely on lamictal and no more topamax. Yet, the first two weeks I had two seizures, so my doctor decided to put me on 1000mg of Keppra. I've had a few more seizures on lamictal and it was very random. I believe that lamictal is not beneficial by itself, but combined with another drug, it seems to help out. Although it helps a little bit, the side effects are fatigue, weakness and low appetite. These side effects weren't as bad as topamax, but they weren't the best. In the end, I've been seizure free for the last six months on lamictal and keppra."

Zane Dayton (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I do like Lamictal as it kind of kept my seizures under control but the side effects on my body and the fact that I still had grand mal seizures more frequently than never I decided to try medical marijuana. I am very pleased to say the the high strains have kept my seizures away entirely."

Nottheone December 12, 2014

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on Lamictal for 8 years and am seizure free with no side effects. The only problem I encountered was that I had a seizure the day after my daughter was born because my dosage post-pregnancy was too low. For those planning to have children, I'm happy to say my daughter had no birth defects. However, I chose not to breast feed her because the medicine would pass to her body. Overall, I'm incredibly happy."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 12, 2014

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on this medication for little under a year. I will say that I have not had a seizure since I've started taking the medication. Unfortunately there are a lot of side effects with this medication, dizziness, vision problems and headaches. I think my dosage may be too high but my neurologist refuses to lower it because of its outcome thus far. I have tried to learn to deal with the side effects. I do not think that they will ever go away but I guess I can just be happy being seizure free. I was on Trileptal before and was having seizures every time I was stressed about something. Overall, the medication has given me back control!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2014

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"With Lamictal and Keppra my seizures are currently controlled."

jenifer nay December 2, 2013

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I can judge this medication being successful due to fewer holes in my drywall and fewer injuries. I can't usually remember my seizures so I base them on others input and injuries from thrashing. I take 250mg, which seems to have cut down incidents to almost zero - major gratitude there."

WhiteRook (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2013

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been taking Lamictal for 3 years now. I haven't had a grand mal seizure since then. I was having seizures in my sleep and still think I do every once in a while but none during the day. I am lucky that I do feel a seizure coming on. The only problem is I'm very unbalanced and it's easy for me to trip. I also feel like I'm in a fog sometimes and my cognitive abilities like thinking clearly, number and word recall and multitasking is very affected. "

genny1 November 26, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I developed kidney stones on 2 separate occasions in 3 months so I finally switched. Evidently a listed side effect is "propensity to develop kidney stones". I felt drowsy like I was in a fog."

34dfgh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2013

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Lamictal for 7 years and have not had any seizures. My seizures were caused by scar tissue from having a brain tumor removed. I started on Dilantin but the side effects were so bad I couldn't work so my neurologist started me on Lamictal. I didn't lose weight but I am frequently dizzy and definitely have cognitive and memory issues. I find I have to focus on tasks and don't multi-task effectively anymore. I wouldn't give this medicine up because it controls my seizures. I'm fortunate that my medical plan covers brand name but I have to pay more."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 31, 2013

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It will be 10 years in October that I've been taking Lamictal. I've been seizure FREE that long as well. I take 200mg at night and 200mg in the morning. I too experience memory loss and concentration. I feel as though my eyes don't move normally. Since my dosage was upped I find myself in slow motion. I also notice that I have a form of dyslexia. example: putting on my windshield wipers instead of my blinkers. another example is: when I'm speaking I might say into my sentence what I'm looking at. Talk about makes me feel stupid! I must add that I also take Zonagram which was causing me other side effects like depression and suicidal. After doctors lowered the Zonagram dose, depression and suicidal thoughts were gone but I gained weight."

Rae Rae August 16, 2013

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My grandson has silent seizures and has been on Lamictal for about 3 years. He is 16 years old. He started off on a 100mg a day. He was increased to 200mg daily. His seizures has stopped but he has lost a lot of weight. I discussed this with his doctor and he said it wasn't the medication. I had already done some research and saw that it could be a side effect. He told me to take him to his family doctor. When I took him to his family doctor she said it was the Lamictal. He also has terrible acne, has a hard time concentrating, has a hard time expressing himself and has severe constipation to the point he has bowel incontinence. He has had several problems with anger issues. These symptoms started when they upped his medication."

enlow (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2013

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'd been having partial seizures every 2 weeks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became suicidal and uninterested in anything. About 2 yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizure now come more frequently and randomly."

Anonymous August 15, 2011

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Lamictal for seven years (300 mg morning and 200 mg in the evening). I had been on Topamax before but my neurologist switched because of side effects. After the switch, my amount of seizures increased dramatically to about 5 per month and I was having them without any warning. It was as if I was not on any medication! I have always been controlled with medicines. The neurologist refused to believe it was from the Lamictal and kept saying it was because my body had to adjust to the change in medicine. After about 6 months, a doctor at a different hospital put me on Keppra in addition to the Lamictal. I have only had one seizure since. "

Anonymous August 12, 2010

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been diagnosed with uncontrollable seizure disorder. I am 29 and have no prior seizure problems. They began when I was 27 for reasons my physicians cannot explain. I have no warning or recollection of them when they occur. In fact when I do have them, people around me tell me I just had a seizure and I never believe them. I don't have a warning such as a strange smell, taste, or feeling that a lot of people with seizure disorders experience. I was on Dilantin for 2 years and was still having seizures 3 to 4 times a month (which is a LOT). Recently (about 6 months ago) I was prescribed Lamictal (Lamotrigine) and have not had a seizure since. I recommend talking to your doctor about this medication. It really worked for me! Good luck."

Rachael.Oest April 8, 2010