User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Carnexiv, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

Dystonia 3 reviews 4 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 237 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Carbamazepine

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I am taking time-released carbamazepine for vestibular paroxysmia. I was experiencing machine-gun type tinnitus accompanied by vertigo for about 15 seconds at 45 second intervals. I started on 100 mg twice as day; I felt improvement within 12 hours. After one week my symptoms returned and my doctor increased the dose to three, then four times a day. It has greatly reduced the tinnitus and vertigo, though I still get it if I lean over or lie down on that side. I experienced severe drowsiness and occasional dizziness the first few days, and after 6 weeks am still sleeping about 2 hours more than usual. I have become extremely sensitive to the sun (must wear strong sunblock, hat, and polarized glasses whenever outdoors.)"

Poppy2017 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Well I've been taking depakote 250mg twice a day with citalpram 25mg for 10+ years. It has worked genius for me. Love it. Here recently, the last month or so it's working so well. Tried taking Carbamazepine and it through me for a loop. I had suicidal thoughts again, I broke out in rashes on my shoulders and arms, my face would get flushed and I started my cycle 2 weeks early. Which my Dr then immediately took me off of it 4 that last reason. I wanted a bump up from my 500mg so that's why she prescribed me that. Two 300mg pills a day along with my citalpram. My dr said alot of her patients love it. I did not! Lol. I told her I took one for the team. Now on to try something else. Shit. BTW I'm 35."

Yellehsheup (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "made me extremely sleepy, I would wake up in strange places i.e. kitchen floor with no knowledge of how I got there. Most importantly it didn't help with nerve pain in my feet at all."

realdeal54 July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I've been on this medication for almost 8 years now, and could not imagine going off of it. When I first started on carbemazepine, I could tell the difference within a few weeks. My mood swings became less volatile and it gives me a "buffer period" between actions and my reactions so that I am able to think about what is happening and react in an appropriate way. Weight gain and sexual side effects have not been a problem for me with this medication either."

notasponge (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've had TN for about 6 or so years was put on 900mg a day and that worked for a few years n duh me slowly stared taking myself off n pain got worse so Dr upped the dose 1800mg a day that worked for quite awhile then later it started coming back so did a lot of research and come across people that did the cyberknife treatment and no referral and they got me in right away for first appt and did MRI and CT and they made a mask and two weeks later I had it done I'm just a few days out since treatment and they pain will get less n less after a month or so, so I'm hopeful, the other comments said they have been pain free after the nerve started to die with a slight numbness n I can deal with that verses pain I'm hoping they find a cure"

VW (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "June 12, 2017 I was dx with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) after an emergency trip to my dentist thinking I had a tooth, gum or nerve issue on June 4th. Dentist put me on 500 mg antibiotic and I was taking 650 mg of Tylenol. Nothing! Terrible pain, I wanted to chop my head. The pain had me in tears crying out. My Dr. put me on prednisone and I was still taking 650 mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. Nothing. Then she put me on Carbamazepine, along with the other meds and I stopped the antibiotic. After 5 days I could breathe again with only a ache. People thought I was crazy when I told them having relief for an ache was a miracle. But it is, I live by the clock on my phone so I do not miss a dose, I live in fear that the pain will come back in full force."

revdrladi3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been taking 200mgs of Carbatrol every day for 8 years, due to TN. My TN is the typical type, stabbing facial pain. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to live a normal life without any pain and I have no side effects. Sometimes my insurance asks me to use Tegretol because it's cheaper and has the same main ingredient, but I react horribly to it. I'm lucky to I have a doctor that is willing to advocate for me. Frankly though, I would pay out of pocket for the Carbatrol before I would use a generic. If you have TN and don't have a good reaction to Tegretol I would definitely recommend trying Carbatrol."

Sara10 June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on carbamazepine for 17 years and find it keeps my mood stabilized and works best as an anti-manic. It is not much help with depression. I had tried Lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics prior to carbamazepine and the thing I loved about this drug is I did not gain weight on it, in fact after coming off Depakote and on to this I lost 40 pounds. So for me it is weight neutral. I have heard others say otherwise...some gained, some lost, some stayed the same. My serum sodium does run slightly low, and I am sometimes tired, but that is the mainstay with psychiatric drugs. The initial breaking in phase was rough, about 3 months to adjust to the medication, but with the weight loss after Depakote..."

flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Was diagnosed in January with TN, although I thought that's what I had. My dad & his sister had TN as well. Started on a low dose of carbamazepine, 200mg a day & naively I thought this would make the pain disappear. No it did not. They gradually increased dose to 300mg three times a day & this worked for approx 8 weeks. I thought I had found the dosage that would work for me & I would be pain free forever, but no the pain returned last week & it was excruciating, could hardly eat anything. I increased my dose to 400mg in the morning, 300mg in the afternoon & 400mg at night & gradually the pain has disappeared. Spoke to doctor today & I can increase dosage to 1600mg if needed & she will prescribe slow acting carbamazepine as well."

Blob262 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Best drug for bipolar if you can pass initial side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Was only one this 3 weeks. Didn't help much and made me nasty. I would go from normal to telling people off. Even family. For no reason at all."

Dhaniboi (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed after an auto accident and air bags smashed me in the face and broke my glasses. Pain of the trigeminal neuralgia was 3 to 5 minutes each time it hit and was as everyone on here describes , indescribable. This drug worked but I continually had to keep increasing the dose from 200mg to 600mg and on occasion 800 to 900 on bad days. Have found great success with this drug combined with an acupuncture regimen, this combo has stopped the continued progression/escalation of pain and has me living on about 600 mg daily sometimes as low as 400mg. The reduction has helped with drowsiness and I am not quite as scared regarding the continual progression/elevation of pain and meds. Just hope it lasts, every bit of reprieve you can get counts for a lot. GOOD LUCK ALL"

BDT (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this medication for about 8 months now. I started at a low dose 200mg a day and now I'm on 600 mg. 300mg in the morning and at night. I find that it makes me sleepy but what doesn't. I am not so sleepy that I cannot function just sleepy when I know I has a good nights sleep. Anyway, I am moody and my moods swing from very happy to super mad like many people with bipolar. This helps we control that. I does nothing for depression but it's not meant to. The side effects are very mild."

My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN about a week ago. I tore a Cartilage in my right knee, which I thought was painful. Well, nothing compares to TN, rather have a daily torn cartilage than this terrible pain. Ended up in hospital being given Morphine, Diazepam, and a Diclophenac Suppository, which is not the most enjoyable method of administration. Doctor has prescribed Tegretol. This has provided some relief, in as much the frequency of the episodes has reduced, but not the severity, which has not been attenuated in any way. At least I can function better than last week. Though now I do feel a bit zombiefied, and as I am unemployed looking for work this does give me some apprehension how I am going to cope with pain, sedation, and interviews.I am a Brit"

Wiyaka Sapa (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR TITRATES THE DRUG AND DOES NOT START YOU ON A HIGH DOSE. The 1 grade should be for my Dr. Not the medication. I am a female about 105lbs. My Dr. started me on 800mg without titration for possible seizures. After 2 days I was so sick and dizzy and my head / ears were was buzzing like crazy. I had non stop vomiting, ringing in my ears and severe indescribable dizziness. I ended up going to the ER. I am sticking to lamictal and found a new Doctor."

Dawn789 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Caused drowsiness but did depress SOME of the pain."

Jenster7235 March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed a year ago. The tegratol helps with the pain massively, reducing it to more of and ache. My g.p has me on a step up and and step down routine so I'm not in them long term. It's working for me at the moment"

lockets March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on carbamazepine for 1 week. My head is empty and, I don't feel like myself at all. Feeling nauseous and, the only time I feel 'normal' is when I eat. I have been doing more around the house but, it's like being on auto pilot. This is the first mood stabiliser I've been on so, hoping I get my brain back soon or, I will definitely stop taking it."

Earlybird2 February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Tegretol (carbamazepine) and Caflam plus Toredole injections when my pain is out of control and I am screaming. I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TGN) last week and after that, two MRIs followed showing a clear report apparently. Tegretol initially helped me for a day and then the pain returned. I was put on Zegap, Phlogen and Ansaid but nothing controlled my pain. I was and I am still taken to emergencies everyday, twice. In emergencies, the inject Toredole and that tamed the pain. But now it tames the pain in my temples only. The pain in my jaw and teeth at the right side ache a lot :( My doctor says, surgery i sthe only solution to the this sort of advance level pain and even if the pain comes back, it won't before TEN years. I doubt :("

Tehreem (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Trigeminal Neuralgia started about 6 months ago. Started the Carbamazepine about 3 months ago and have been having the dosage steadily increased to 200mg 3x/day with an additional 100mg at night. Pain is easily triggered by the slightest touch to right side of my face and I can avoid that for the most part during the day but night time is bad. The effectiveness of the additional 100 mg at night lasted 2 days and pain is just as bad again. At 61 years of age with multiple health issues and on disability because of COPD, not sure how much of this I'm going to be able to take."

Al1955 January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before."

Haileyp January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I am a 6; 5'' 245 71 yr old retired teacher after 30 yrs since 2007. I played 2 yrs NFL n 2 1/2 yrs in ABA n am a night club bouncer wk as a bond recovery agent and security guard at troubled apt complexes. 3 tours in Vietnam I have been shot, stabbed been in neurmous fights n in last 45 yrs have had 11 surgeries ranging from 2 total hip replacements to eye knees nose ankle. Suffice it 2 say I have experienced ' pain .' Have TN for last 16 yrs. Unequivocally, this is the WORST pain I have ever experienced bar none. And as I get older ,as I am told by my Dr, it will only get worse.I was prescribed 300 mg 3x/day but since June of 2014 have been taking 150 mg 4x/daily.now taking 900 mg /day and I can't seem 2 balance the pain.Any insight ???"

snake doc (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed after I had my 2nd daughter (after a year of trying to treat what we thought was PPD which saw me declined faster and faster). Although, I've had a feeling something "wasn't quite right" since my late teens/early twenties. Once we figured out what we are actually dealing with, I went through several medications (including lithium). They had such severe side affects that they were cancelling out any good they could of possibly been doing for me.. that is until I found carbemezapeme. It took me about 6mo-1yr to really figure out the correct dose, but with the help of some great Dr's and therapist (and THAT really is the key, it can't just be about meds, good Dr's and the right meds go hand in hand) we figured it out."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I only started talked Carbamazpine 6 days ago after the Dr told me I "possibly" have TN. My symptoms of extreme pain in my teeth/jaw on one side started a month ago only when I have something to eat/drink that isn't warm or if I breath through my mouth. I am only on 100mg twice daily and have had only a minor side effect of a very slight feeling of "spaced out" rarely though. The meds seem to have reduced the severity and length of the pain already but I'm hoping a trip to my Chiropractor can help even more. I will let you know how that goes."

Snoozy63 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing"

saburna (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016