User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Carnexiv, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

Dystonia 3 reviews 4 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 231 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been taking 200mgs of Carbatrol every day for 8 years, due to TN. My TN is the typical type, stabbing facial pain. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to live a normal life without any pain and I have no side effects. Sometimes my insurance asks me to use Tegretol because it's cheaper and has the same main ingredient, but I react horribly to it. I'm lucky to I have a doctor that is willing to advocate for me. Frankly though, I would pay out of pocket for the Carbatrol before I would use a generic. If you have TN and don't have a good reaction to Tegretol I would definitely recommend trying Carbatrol."

Sara10 June 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on carbamazepine for 17 years and find it keeps my mood stabilized and works best as an anti-manic. It is not much help with depression. I had tried Lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics prior to carbamazepine and the thing I loved about this drug is I did not gain weight on it, in fact after coming off Depakote and on to this I lost 40 pounds. So for me it is weight neutral. I have heard others say otherwise...some gained, some lost, some stayed the same. My serum sodium does run slightly low, and I am sometimes tired, but that is the mainstay with psychiatric drugs. The initial breaking in phase was rough, about 3 months to adjust to the medication, but with the weight loss after Depakote..."

flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Was diagnosed in January with TN, although I thought that's what I had. My dad & his sister had TN as well. Started on a low dose of carbamazepine, 200mg a day & naively I thought this would make the pain disappear. No it did not. They gradually increased dose to 300mg three times a day & this worked for approx 8 weeks. I thought I had found the dosage that would work for me & I would be pain free forever, but no the pain returned last week & it was excruciating, could hardly eat anything. I increased my dose to 400mg in the morning, 300mg in the afternoon & 400mg at night & gradually the pain has disappeared. Spoke to doctor today & I can increase dosage to 1600mg if needed & she will prescribe slow acting carbamazepine as well."

Blob262 May 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Best drug for bipolar if you can pass initial side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Was only one this 3 weeks. Didn't help much and made me nasty. I would go from normal to telling people off. Even family. For no reason at all."

Dhaniboi (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed after an auto accident and air bags smashed me in the face and broke my glasses. Pain of the trigeminal neuralgia was 3 to 5 minutes each time it hit and was as everyone on here describes , indescribable. This drug worked but I continually had to keep increasing the dose from 200mg to 600mg and on occasion 800 to 900 on bad days. Have found great success with this drug combined with an acupuncture regimen, this combo has stopped the continued progression/escalation of pain and has me living on about 600 mg daily sometimes as low as 400mg. The reduction has helped with drowsiness and I am not quite as scared regarding the continual progression/elevation of pain and meds. Just hope it lasts, every bit of reprieve you can get counts for a lot. GOOD LUCK ALL"

BDT (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this medication for about 8 months now. I started at a low dose 200mg a day and now I'm on 600 mg. 300mg in the morning and at night. I find that it makes me sleepy but what doesn't. I am not so sleepy that I cannot function just sleepy when I know I has a good nights sleep. Anyway, I am moody and my moods swing from very happy to super mad like many people with bipolar. This helps we control that. I does nothing for depression but it's not meant to. The side effects are very mild."

My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN about a week ago. I tore a Cartilage in my right knee, which I thought was painful. Well, nothing compares to TN, rather have a daily torn cartilage than this terrible pain. Ended up in hospital being given Morphine, Diazepam, and a Diclophenac Suppository, which is not the most enjoyable method of administration. Doctor has prescribed Tegretol. This has provided some relief, in as much the frequency of the episodes has reduced, but not the severity, which has not been attenuated in any way. At least I can function better than last week. Though now I do feel a bit zombiefied, and as I am unemployed looking for work this does give me some apprehension how I am going to cope with pain, sedation, and interviews.I am a Brit"

Wiyaka Sapa (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR TITRATES THE DRUG AND DOES NOT START YOU ON A HIGH DOSE. The 1 grade should be for my Dr. Not the medication. I am a female about 105lbs. My Dr. started me on 800mg without titration for possible seizures. After 2 days I was so sick and dizzy and my head / ears were was buzzing like crazy. I had non stop vomiting, ringing in my ears and severe indescribable dizziness. I ended up going to the ER. I am sticking to lamictal and found a new Doctor."

Dawn789 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Caused drowsiness but did depress SOME of the pain."

Jenster7235 March 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed a year ago. The tegratol helps with the pain massively, reducing it to more of and ache. My g.p has me on a step up and and step down routine so I'm not in them long term. It's working for me at the moment"

lockets March 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on carbamazepine for 1 week. My head is empty and, I don't feel like myself at all. Feeling nauseous and, the only time I feel 'normal' is when I eat. I have been doing more around the house but, it's like being on auto pilot. This is the first mood stabiliser I've been on so, hoping I get my brain back soon or, I will definitely stop taking it."

Earlybird2 February 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Tegretol (carbamazepine) and Caflam plus Toredole injections when my pain is out of control and I am screaming. I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TGN) last week and after that, two MRIs followed showing a clear report apparently. Tegretol initially helped me for a day and then the pain returned. I was put on Zegap, Phlogen and Ansaid but nothing controlled my pain. I was and I am still taken to emergencies everyday, twice. In emergencies, the inject Toredole and that tamed the pain. But now it tames the pain in my temples only. The pain in my jaw and teeth at the right side ache a lot :( My doctor says, surgery i sthe only solution to the this sort of advance level pain and even if the pain comes back, it won't before TEN years. I doubt :("

Tehreem (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Trigeminal Neuralgia started about 6 months ago. Started the Carbamazepine about 3 months ago and have been having the dosage steadily increased to 200mg 3x/day with an additional 100mg at night. Pain is easily triggered by the slightest touch to right side of my face and I can avoid that for the most part during the day but night time is bad. The effectiveness of the additional 100 mg at night lasted 2 days and pain is just as bad again. At 61 years of age with multiple health issues and on disability because of COPD, not sure how much of this I'm going to be able to take."

Al1955 January 31, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before."

Haileyp January 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I am a 6; 5'' 245 71 yr old retired teacher after 30 yrs since 2007. I played 2 yrs NFL n 2 1/2 yrs in ABA n am a night club bouncer wk as a bond recovery agent and security guard at troubled apt complexes. 3 tours in Vietnam I have been shot, stabbed been in neurmous fights n in last 45 yrs have had 11 surgeries ranging from 2 total hip replacements to eye knees nose ankle. Suffice it 2 say I have experienced ' pain .' Have TN for last 16 yrs. Unequivocally, this is the WORST pain I have ever experienced bar none. And as I get older ,as I am told by my Dr, it will only get worse.I was prescribed 300 mg 3x/day but since June of 2014 have been taking 150 mg 4x/daily.now taking 900 mg /day and I can't seem 2 balance the pain.Any insight ???"

snake doc (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed after I had my 2nd daughter (after a year of trying to treat what we thought was PPD which saw me declined faster and faster). Although, I've had a feeling something "wasn't quite right" since my late teens/early twenties. Once we figured out what we are actually dealing with, I went through several medications (including lithium). They had such severe side affects that they were cancelling out any good they could of possibly been doing for me.. that is until I found carbemezapeme. It took me about 6mo-1yr to really figure out the correct dose, but with the help of some great Dr's and therapist (and THAT really is the key, it can't just be about meds, good Dr's and the right meds go hand in hand) we figured it out."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I only started talked Carbamazpine 6 days ago after the Dr told me I "possibly" have TN. My symptoms of extreme pain in my teeth/jaw on one side started a month ago only when I have something to eat/drink that isn't warm or if I breath through my mouth. I am only on 100mg twice daily and have had only a minor side effect of a very slight feeling of "spaced out" rarely though. The meds seem to have reduced the severity and length of the pain already but I'm hoping a trip to my Chiropractor can help even more. I will let you know how that goes."

Snoozy63 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing"

saburna (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Made me feel so ill from day 1 on just 200mg. Dr wanted me to increase to 400mg after 2 weeks (did tell me I might feel unwell, but to try & stick it out for at least 2 weeks). Was left for 5 weeks on 400mg feeling very unwell. Headache, pain in my neck & shoulders, dizzy, pain in my kidneys,(maybe just pain in my lower back muscles). Couldn't get up out of bed... Dr (without seeing me) told me through my care coordinater to reduce to 200mg for 3 days then stop all together. 6 days after stopping I still feel really unwell, especially when I just wake up or am tired. Hope this damage to me isn't permanent. Seems not getting any better after 6 days being of it..."

Juled (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have TN2 it took 10 months 5 doctors ,dentist visit and lastly in hospital with severe neck ,face ,ear pain to get correct diagnosis.Like most first visit to the dentist,he said nerve issue,but I went to regular dr. first was diagnosed with migraine ,went to ENT,he said no problem go back to dentist meanwhile I am having pain 24 /7 can only open mouth about an inch ,eating ice cream & gaining weight.Started on a very low dose Carbamazepine because I am very allergic,first few days numbness improved ,then on 200mg a day ,it is working but jaw pain has not totally subsided.I don't have any side effects so far,thankfully.If all pain does not go away I will have to up the dosage after I see dr.Prayers to you all"

butterflyga November 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "TN came on gradual over a period of time, initially short attacks lasting only a few seconds prompted by face movement such as eating or talking. Went down the dentist route first and had 2 teeth removed until he told me I should see a doctor. I didn't go for some time and attacks got worse, lasting longer and incapacitating in intensity. Diagnosed with TN and prescribed tegrotol. Taking 800mg a day and only odd "breakthrough" pain on certain days depending where the TN settles (sometimes in the muscle and jaw and sometimes on the skin surface). No side effects from tegrotol but pain returns almost instantly should I miss my medication."

Rffhuhhhbh November 19, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on tegretol about 2 weeks and at 1.4 weeks just went up to 600 mgs and dont like the side affects stopping it as of today. taking for bipolar"

cookietiger November 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been diagnosed with TN and was put on epilepsy tabs I have took all now but still got pain in my head I'm getting really worried about it as I can't suffer any more what to do next"

Annie bull dog (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "My shocks lasted 1-2 seconds,50 times a day..level 4 to 10.I could handle that. a little over a week ago I experienced the most painful shock/stab that was off the charts. It hit me on my right side, my lip gum, nose, nasal passage and spread out into my cheek. It kept striking me and got worse and worse. It left me the same way it came. It lasted about 5 minutes. I started taking the carbamazepine that afternoon. 100 mgX 3 a day. No strikes after 2 doses. I regret telling everyone how wonderful it was working. The last 2 few days I've had 1 small shock a day, I've started to feel pain in my nasal passage. I got a shock this evening about 7. I'm worried the meds going to stop working. I'll add another 100mg at bedtime if need be.I'm scared!"

MonicaSam November 2, 2016