User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Carnexiv, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Dystonia 3 reviews 4 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 217 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before."

Haileyp January 12, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I am a 6; 5'' 245 71 yr old retired teacher after 30 yrs since 2007. I played 2 yrs NFL n 2 1/2 yrs in ABA n am a night club bouncer wk as a bond recovery agent and security guard at troubled apt complexes. 3 tours in Vietnam I have been shot, stabbed been in neurmous fights n in last 45 yrs have had 11 surgeries ranging from 2 total hip replacements to eye knees nose ankle. Suffice it 2 say I have experienced ' pain .' Have TN for last 16 yrs. Unequivocally, this is the WORST pain I have ever experienced bar none. And as I get older ,as I am told by my Dr, it will only get worse.I was prescribed 300 mg 3x/day but since June of 2014 have been taking 150 mg 4x/daily.now taking 900 mg /day and I can't seem 2 balance the pain.Any insight ???"

snake doc (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed after I had my 2nd daughter (after a year of trying to treat what we thought was PPD which saw me declined faster and faster). Although, I've had a feeling something "wasn't quite right" since my late teens/early twenties. Once we figured out what we are actually dealing with, I went through several medications (including lithium). They had such severe side affects that they were cancelling out any good they could of possibly been doing for me.. that is until I found carbemezapeme. It took me about 6mo-1yr to really figure out the correct dose, but with the help of some great Dr's and therapist (and THAT really is the key, it can't just be about meds, good Dr's and the right meds go hand in hand) we figured it out."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I only started talked Carbamazpine 6 days ago after the Dr told me I "possibly" have TN. My symptoms of extreme pain in my teeth/jaw on one side started a month ago only when I have something to eat/drink that isn't warm or if I breath through my mouth. I am only on 100mg twice daily and have had only a minor side effect of a very slight feeling of "spaced out" rarely though. The meds seem to have reduced the severity and length of the pain already but I'm hoping a trip to my Chiropractor can help even more. I will let you know how that goes."

Snoozy63 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing"

saburna (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Made me feel so ill from day 1 on just 200mg. Dr wanted me to increase to 400mg after 2 weeks (did tell me I might feel unwell, but to try & stick it out for at least 2 weeks). Was left for 5 weeks on 400mg feeling very unwell. Headache, pain in my neck & shoulders, dizzy, pain in my kidneys,(maybe just pain in my lower back muscles). Couldn't get up out of bed... Dr (without seeing me) told me through my care coordinater to reduce to 200mg for 3 days then stop all together. 6 days after stopping I still feel really unwell, especially when I just wake up or am tired. Hope this damage to me isn't permanent. Seems not getting any better after 6 days being of it..."

Juled (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have TN2 it took 10 months 5 doctors ,dentist visit and lastly in hospital with severe neck ,face ,ear pain to get correct diagnosis.Like most first visit to the dentist,he said nerve issue,but I went to regular dr. first was diagnosed with migraine ,went to ENT,he said no problem go back to dentist meanwhile I am having pain 24 /7 can only open mouth about an inch ,eating ice cream & gaining weight.Started on a very low dose Carbamazepine because I am very allergic,first few days numbness improved ,then on 200mg a day ,it is working but jaw pain has not totally subsided.I don't have any side effects so far,thankfully.If all pain does not go away I will have to up the dosage after I see dr.Prayers to you all"

butterflyga November 21, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "TN came on gradual over a period of time, initially short attacks lasting only a few seconds prompted by face movement such as eating or talking. Went down the dentist route first and had 2 teeth removed until he told me I should see a doctor. I didn't go for some time and attacks got worse, lasting longer and incapacitating in intensity. Diagnosed with TN and prescribed tegrotol. Taking 800mg a day and only odd "breakthrough" pain on certain days depending where the TN settles (sometimes in the muscle and jaw and sometimes on the skin surface). No side effects from tegrotol but pain returns almost instantly should I miss my medication."

Rffhuhhhbh November 19, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on tegretol about 2 weeks and at 1.4 weeks just went up to 600 mgs and dont like the side affects stopping it as of today. taking for bipolar"

cookietiger November 13, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been diagnosed with TN and was put on epilepsy tabs I have took all now but still got pain in my head I'm getting really worried about it as I can't suffer any more what to do next"

Annie bull dog (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "My shocks lasted 1-2 seconds,50 times a day..level 4 to 10.I could handle that. a little over a week ago I experienced the most painful shock/stab that was off the charts. It hit me on my right side, my lip gum, nose, nasal passage and spread out into my cheek. It kept striking me and got worse and worse. It left me the same way it came. It lasted about 5 minutes. I started taking the carbamazepine that afternoon. 100 mgX 3 a day. No strikes after 2 doses. I regret telling everyone how wonderful it was working. The last 2 few days I've had 1 small shock a day, I've started to feel pain in my nasal passage. I got a shock this evening about 7. I'm worried the meds going to stop working. I'll add another 100mg at bedtime if need be.I'm scared!"

MonicaSam November 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have found this drug to balance me out I can actually cope with everyday life I also take other drugs my cocktail is right for me venaflaxine propanadol mertatazapine and carbamazapine work well at the moment ...... who knows how long it will last I find my body gets use to the drugs then plays me up ...... my mind goes all over the bloody place ...... once my sleep goes a miss so does everything else ..... has anyone out there got any tips about living with bipolar could do with some tips x"

Lumpycat Nicky (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I took Carbamazepine for 4 days but could stand it no longer. I felt very ill, had sinus pain, runny nose, headaches and feeling so ill I had to go back to bed every day. By day 4, I was feeling like I had 'flu and, after reading the advice leaflet, decided this medication is not for me. I do react badly to a lot of medication, so it is not surprising that this one also was a no go for me. I'm in the UK and am over 60, so my meds are free."

Highlow (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been using tegretol (carbamzepine) since 2008. I have been DX with Multiple Sclerosis and Trigeminal neuralgia. I was put on Carbarzepine because of the MS. My first dose started working at 400mg. And worked after a half an hour. Now in 2016. Because of my building a intolerance to the medicine . I am at 1200 mg. I can not live without this medicine. I have TN on both sides of my face. As soon as the shocks calm down I will slowly try to back off the medicine back to 900 mg where I was a month ago. Moving back and forth between doses makes my balance off and me feeling sick. I take the 1200 mg by splitting it into 4 times 8am , 2pm , 7pm and 12am. Not all at once."

Funwithhanna (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 2, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I got the TN problem 3 years ago. Initially, thought the problem is with my teeth and did a root canal. It was not necessary and diagnosed with TN. Tegritol helped to reduce the pain to a manageble condition. I took 400 mg 3 times a day. But that much of medicine everyday made me feel so drowsy. So, I read about the chiropractice and started doing the adjustments and started doing brisk walking everyday for 4 miles. With this for an year, The medication is reduced to half. Now I am taking only 200 mg for 3 times! This is a good improvement in my case and want to continue the same, until I stop taking any medication to reduce my pain completely. Hope this helps many who is going thru this mega pain to reduce the medication."

Reddywmc September 29, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started taking Tegretol 500mg every night after dinner. Initial ten days were extremely tough....very sleepy and was sleeping over 12 hours a day. Slowly there was some improvement but still very lethargic, struggling to concentrate, do day to day activities. Going back to doc. for a reassessment. The pain is down almost 70% and has given me some relief and relaxed me a bit."

Gurinder August 26, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine"

Herbie goes to Monte carlo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I have been on cbz for 35 yrs. 20 yr 600mg / 10yr 400 mg / 5yrs 200mg Since then no grand-mal . However absences remain on 600mg level. So I (slowly) deminished the dose two times and the absences became fewer ( first 10/yr. now 2-3/yr) . Cbz worked well in preventing GM seizures but absolutely not in case of absence seizures. Five years ago I had one seizure because I thought I could stop taking cbz. After two days it went wrong and I returned to 2x 100mg. So don't do this. It is bound to end in a G-M!!!!"

Mr. X (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Bad side effects after several months!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Reading all your testimonies gives me hope. All though a few of you have had a bad experience or no relief at all. Majority seems in favor. I was recently diagnosed with TN. Never heard of it, also never felt pain like this in my life. Wakes me up, only eat when I'n starving, haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks. I've only been on it for 3 days and so far no change. I guess it takes sometime to get into your system. 100 Mg 2 times a day. Not tired or dopey at all. Seems like the people with the higher Mg have those symptoms. Well wish me luck. One thing I just recently discovered, if i'm looking down I start to get that twitch in my lip. Then I lean my head way back as I was lookin in the sky it seems to calm down."

guido228juno.com August 5, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Was prescribed the drug for trigeminal pain. Knowing people with trigeminal neuralgia and feeling my pain was no where as severe as some, I felt that it may be a bit overkill for my symptoms maybe we were trying to castrate a mosquito with a machete? In the end I couldn't stand how it made me feel. Put on 8 pounds in just 5 days. Blood pressure went up and I was EXHAUSTED. I felt very edgy lost confidence in my stride and though the pain I was experiencing did dull it began to expand to both temples, tingling on lips and hands, worst, I just didn't feel myself. I felt both drunk and somehow so fully aware of my strange symptoms It was as though I was observing myself from a foot away. 200 mg twice daily for five days."

No thanks (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

For Epilepsy: "Temporal lobe w/ Mesial temporal sclerosis. Using 8 weeks. Sometimes headaches or dizzy, frequent minor muscle tremors and twitching, shortened menstrual cycle, sensitive mood. Always tired and not very productive, sleep more. Went from monthly 2-5 day blackout seizure binge with 2-5 day recovery, so far only 1 minor convulsion while conscious with mostly full recovery by morning. Major improvement."

Angel in Dallas (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "The XR seams better than the traditional form used in the 80s that resulted in sodium depletion. This form causes twitching, sporadic and rapidly occurring tremors that make sleeping difficult, increased urination frequency, some minor dizziness at first, and possibly elevated skin sensitivity to sunlight."

stex July 17, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with atypical TN after lower orthognathic surgery 20 months ago. Now on 1000mg Gapapentin 3x a day plus prolonged release Carbamazapine 400mg at night. Did start 100mg Carbamazapine in the morning but had problems with vision and balance so decided against it. Drugs working ok. Wish there was a solution to my problem :-( Now just been told by my doc that my white blood count down possibly due to the Carbamazapine so may have to come off it."

BevMac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started taking Tegretol for TN and it did greatly improve my ability to function. Pain was much duller during episodes and had stopped being totally debilitating. 6-7 weeks after use I began to be so lethargic I couldn't get out of bed and was relying so much more on my husband to see to our toddler son. It was very worrying. I then developed severely enlarged glands under my chin, lumps on my neck and started to feel generally unwell. I then had a full blood count done and it returned a very low white blood and abnormal looking cells also. Enlarged spleen also occurred. Now being referred to haematology and had to be taken off Tegretol as they believe I am taking quite a severe reaction to it."

AnnieMoooo June 20, 2016