User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Cluster-Tic Syndrome 1 reviews 0 medications

Dystonia 3 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 202 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started taking Tegretol 500mg every night after dinner. Initial ten days were extremely tough....very sleepy and was sleeping over 12 hours a day. Slowly there was some improvement but still very lethargic, struggling to concentrate, do day to day activities. Going back to doc. for a reassessment. The pain is down almost 70% and has given me some relief and relaxed me a bit."

Gurinder August 26, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine"

Herbie goes to Monte carlo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I have been on cbz for 35 yrs. 20 yr 600mg / 10yr 400 mg / 5yrs 200mg Since then no grand-mal . However absences remain on 600mg level. So I (slowly) deminished the dose two times and the absences became fewer ( first 10/yr. now 2-3/yr) . Cbz worked well in preventing GM seizures but absolutely not in case of absence seizures. Five years ago I had one seizure because I thought I could stop taking cbz. After two days it went wrong and I returned to 2x 100mg. So don't do this. It is bound to end in a G-M!!!!"

Mr. X (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Bad side effects after several months!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Reading all your testimonies gives me hope. All though a few of you have had a bad experience or no relief at all. Majority seems in favor. I was recently diagnosed with TN. Never heard of it, also never felt pain like this in my life. Wakes me up, only eat when I'n starving, haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks. I've only been on it for 3 days and so far no change. I guess it takes sometime to get into your system. 100 Mg 2 times a day. Not tired or dopey at all. Seems like the people with the higher Mg have those symptoms. Well wish me luck. One thing I just recently discovered, if i'm looking down I start to get that twitch in my lip. Then I lean my head way back as I was lookin in the sky it seems to calm down."

guido228juno.com August 5, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Was prescribed the drug for trigeminal pain. Knowing people with trigeminal neuralgia and feeling my pain was no where as severe as some, I felt that it may be a bit overkill for my symptoms maybe we were trying to castrate a mosquito with a machete? In the end I couldn't stand how it made me feel. Put on 8 pounds in just 5 days. Blood pressure went up and I was EXHAUSTED. I felt very edgy lost confidence in my stride and though the pain I was experiencing did dull it began to expand to both temples, tingling on lips and hands, worst, I just didn't feel myself. I felt both drunk and somehow so fully aware of my strange symptoms It was as though I was observing myself from a foot away. 200 mg twice daily for five days."

No thanks (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

For Epilepsy: "Temporal lobe w/ Mesial temporal sclerosis. Using 8 weeks. Sometimes headaches or dizzy, frequent minor muscle tremors and twitching, shortened menstrual cycle, sensitive mood. Always tired and not very productive, sleep more. Went from monthly 2-5 day blackout seizure binge with 2-5 day recovery, so far only 1 minor convulsion while conscious with mostly full recovery by morning. Major improvement."

Angel in Dallas (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "The XR seams better than the traditional form used in the 80s that resulted in sodium depletion. This form causes twitching, sporadic and rapidly occurring tremors that make sleeping difficult, increased urination frequency, some minor dizziness at first, and possibly elevated skin sensitivity to sunlight."

stex July 17, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with atypical TN after lower orthognathic surgery 20 months ago. Now on 1000mg Gapapentin 3x a day plus prolonged release Carbamazapine 400mg at night. Did start 100mg Carbamazapine in the morning but had problems with vision and balance so decided against it. Drugs working ok. Wish there was a solution to my problem :-( Now just been told by my doc that my white blood count down possibly due to the Carbamazapine so may have to come off it."

BevMac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started taking Tegretol for TN and it did greatly improve my ability to function. Pain was much duller during episodes and had stopped being totally debilitating. 6-7 weeks after use I began to be so lethargic I couldn't get out of bed and was relying so much more on my husband to see to our toddler son. It was very worrying. I then developed severely enlarged glands under my chin, lumps on my neck and started to feel generally unwell. I then had a full blood count done and it returned a very low white blood and abnormal looking cells also. Enlarged spleen also occurred. Now being referred to haematology and had to be taken off Tegretol as they believe I am taking quite a severe reaction to it."

AnnieMoooo June 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have tried so many medications for my illnesses but nothing worked until I was put on carbamazepine, it worked wonders. It took a little while to get use to. I was really dizzy for awhile but once I adjusted to it i feel great. Best i ever tried"

frogirl1993 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've been taking Tegretol for over a month now, right after my TN diagnosis. It took a couple of days to fully work. Every since then the pain went completely away. Side effects for me are feeling sleepy and dizzy all the time."

Tpmss (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was the best medication I have ever had. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I only trouble I have had was at one time the Doctor tried to up me to 2 night and 2 in the morning and it caused terrible vertigo like feeling. I couldn't even stand up. Overal I would say it's a great medication."

Emankcin May 24, 2016

For Dystonia: "Doesn't totally cut my Paroxysmal Dystonia, but drops it from a 7/10 to a 3/10. If i increase the dose (800mg XR daily) the side effects are too hard to handle. Generally leaves me feeling a little sluggish/slow, and have found it difficult to lose weight on Tegretol."

rie__ May 16, 2016

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "The neurologist that I go to see for my epilepsy seizures he wanted to prescribe me a new medication. He then asked me the patient would I mind taking a new medication "Tegretol", I asked him what he thought I and he claimed he did not know. The doctor prescribed me the Tegretol medication, I had been taken it for less than two months and was diagnosed with an Allergic reaction, Swollen Throat, Facial edema and itchy skin."

ATLGA2016 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have only had two doses so far 100mg/2x a day. Pharmacist said it could take 5-7 days to feel the full effects as it has to build up and that I could still take Motrin or Vicodin (neither of which really put a dent in the pain) until it starts to work. So far I've had probably 9 or 10 "episodes" of pain and instead of what I can only compare to contractions (I've had 3 natural childbirths), the pain is now about a 6/10 vice 10/10. I am so happy about this, I developed TN 6 months ago and thought like others it was in my teeth or gums; I now know it was due to a sinus surgery...the pain has gone from mild, one episode a day to intense, excruciating, balled up on the couch crying every hour bad. I hope this medicine works."

Chigirl000 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I do feel that this medication works, regular blood work to check levels in the blood are crucial. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 16 years and have been on this medication since the year 2000. It worked better back then, I do have an appointment with a psychiatrist to go over the mediaction as I do not feel that it is working as good as it used to. Perhaps my body has become immune to it."

Mo1968 April 25, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've been on Tegretol for 4 days. It has taken me from excruciating pain to dull soreness. It's a wonder drug. I'm sleepy but almost pain free. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed after only six weeks. I'm praying it lasts!"

Monistar (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "First time when I took Tegretol, it worked immediately and the pain went away. The pain comes and go every year and the most importantly the pain was not bad last 4 years that I did not even take Tegretol. This time the pain is unbearable so I'm on Tegretol. Even with the medication still feel the shock once in awhile. Definately feels better with Tegretol. The side effects, for me, sleepiness, weight gain, excitement with no reason."

TN community April 23, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I also suffer from bipolar 1 disorder and chronic pain. The drug so far has made me eerily calm and it's almost like I'm high all the time. So far so good... It has calmed my mania down since I am rapid cycling. Also my short term memory hard been affected. I am a Veteran as well."

Gunz (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This drug killed my thyroid. You should also be screened heavily for certain blood illnesses before taking and monitor your liver and kidneys. A VERY poisonous drug."

Mrosa41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been given tegretol to take for TN, then had decompression surgery. This relieved pain for 7yrs. A surgeon told me it need to saturate my system first and then begin script of 200mg x 3 per day. This means I needed to take 2 tablets together. This takes the pain away. I ensured I lay low for a few hours as this made me sleep. I am now on 400x3 times each day and all is good."

Shelby8 April 8, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Excruciating pain in ear since June .Been on tegretol since. From 600mg to 1200 Then surgery. Still having pain. Still on 900mg"

JJJOO April 7, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Dear God never experienced such pain like it (not even childbirth) - started with twitching to lower face 5 days ago and then bouts of explosive pain to left cheek, jaw, upper and lower teeth. Pain coming every half hour and lasting between 7-10mins each - cant do anything other than wait for it to pass (and cry at times)! Started carbamazepine yesterday am twice daily and pain lessened already but feel very sleepy and bit nauseous / "loose" - still feel the underlying pain there but so much better. Emergency dental appointment today with xrays - no dental cause. Have had tinnitus in left ear for past 8-9 months after heavy cold plus some cervical disc bulging and nerve root impingement at C7. Anyone else been given a cause for this??"

debbiecart April 7, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN (glad to learn about it and find out I'm not dying of a brain tumor or something) - the pain is horrific. I've been on the generic form of Tegretol (Carbamazepine) 100 mg 3x per day for 3 weeks. I still have episodes of pain a couple times a day, but at least I can walk around, talk and eat without the excruciating pain I had been experiencing. Only downside is I feel like a zombie - tired, and "out of it" - but like others have said - I'd take that any day over the near constant pain I was having."

Rainy049 April 6, 2016