User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Tegretol, Carbatrol, Tegretol XR, Epitol, Equetro

Carbamazepine has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 291 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of those users who reviewed Carbamazepine reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Schizoaffective Disorder   9.5
Borderline Personality Disorder  Off-label 5.0
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 6.8 291 reviews

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2021

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I had severe nerve pain in my face on the right side that just came out of nowhere. All of a sudden it felt like an electrical wire from below my eye down to my upper lip was burning. The pain was excruciating. It lasted anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds at a time. It happened about 50 times a day. Sometimes I couldn’t even talk or open my mouth it hurt so bad. After two weeks I couldn’t take it anymore so I went to my primary care physician, and he prescribed 200 mg of Tegretol twice a day. I started by just taking one in the morning and that was all each day. After the second day the pain was totally gone. He didn’t give me any refills, so I’ll probably have to go to a neurologist and find out what I need to do.”

Sonya · Taken for 10 years or more February 11, 2021

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “About 2005 I got small shocks on my face and of course I ignored them had to go to work. Then was outside in the heat 2006 and I had a pain when my front tooth hit together. Of course I thought it was my teeth. My dentist said it's not my teeth. Go See a neurologist. So I saw my neuro. And he said it was either MS or trigeminal neuralgia. After tests. Lucky me it was both. He told me to start my MS meds and medication for the TN. I lived with the shocks that were building up in size. Til one day when my parent called ttyt he neuro and he gave me carbamazepine 200mg. It took half an hour to stop the pain. Been taking carbamazepine now since 2008. I find I have not been able to live my life with out it. I'm taking now 800mg. Then I found out I have osteoporosis. Tried to switch medication because of it. It won't let me. I tried all types of medications. Broke four bones so far. But I have to live with it now.”

Leftcoast · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2021

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “The first time I felt TN pain on my right cheek I thought I had been hit by lightning. Second time I started looking for stray current. Carbamazepine ER (extended release) definitely seems to be helping reduce the frequency of the shocks unless I was coincidentally entering a remission. I was prescribed 2x/day. This gets me through the night, pain free, but not through the day. I split the dose into 3x/day which seems to work better, but still not enough: I end up slowing down, sitting down, and biding my time until the next dose. Getting through the day is going to take a higher dose or other strategies. Looking at facial pain and seizure/ epilepsy web sites has given me two tips to help medication effectiveness: 1) eat something to keep blood sugar from getting too low, and 2) choose foods that are low in glutamate such as pears, apples, corn, or rice.”

BipolarChick138 January 23, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have bipolar disorder with psychotic features. About 2 years ago my symptoms became worse. Constantly shifting between mania, depression and psychosis. So I decided to try meds again. I immediately began to feel better. I was experiencing auditory hallucinations and extreme paranoia for months following a psychotic break. This medication made all of that go away. I don’t feel my mind going a million miles a second, I don’t get as overwhelmed, I can handle things more easily at work and home, I’m calmer, more patient, and it also really helps with anxiety and sleep. It kind of just keeps me on keel. I don’t have any side effects from it at all. Overall this medication has saved my life. I don’t want to ever stop taking it! I currently take 200 mg ER in the morning and 400 mg ER at night. I find ER works best for me since the IR version seemed to wear off kinda towards late afternoon. I’m just so thankful for it! This med is amazing.”

Mirry January 9, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Hi am a lady of 29 years,I have been using carbamazepine for bipolar disorder for a month now. It is a miracle medicine but the downside of it for me is dermatologic side effects. I have rashes, swellings on face, peeling on the skin, itching of the whole body. Can someone please help me out how to handle the side effects.I love the medication it helps me a lot”

Charly · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 28, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on Carbamazepine for 1.5 years. It controlled the very ugly feelings I had before, my mind got blocked most of the time, I couldn't drink a Coke, it felt terrible, or sleep in the afternoon, it was very unpleasent. I have bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, with a low dose of Haloperidol, Risperidone and 700 mg of Carbamazepine my life changed completely for good. Now I can stand all day, awake and I really feel very happy with this treatment.”

ciara · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “This medication is awful. It is horrible I felt like my life was slipping away on it. Gave me mood swings, I had sad thoughts, I was dizzy, nauseous, and tired. Carbamazepine is so toxic please don’t take it. It even lowered my white blood count and I got really sick, I visited the ER 3 times. I was so lightheaded and so nauseous. I felt like I was going to pass out any second. If you're on carbamazepine please go do blood work and make sure everything is ok.”

thats me · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I came down with terrible shooting pain on my left side from the chin to my mouth to my ears, it was so unbearable that I literally cried from pain while running around with ice attached to the painful area. First I started at urgent care with eye infection meds, then to ENT, to dentist, to neurologist who finally diagnosed me with TN (Trigeminal Neuralgia), I started on Carbamazepine with 100 mg twice a day but didn't work at all them upped to 300 mg a day, after a few days it did work well as pain disappeared - but the side effects still didn't stop, I'm extremely dizzy, weak, drowsiness, problem walking, now trying to lower dose to prevent side effects.”

T · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “Just out of hospital blew up like a balloon had very bad reaction. In hospital for 3 days was on tabs for 4 weeks so am off them now. No good for me as I was swelled up like a beach ball on them. A neurologist told me to go on them for 8 weeks gees after 4 weeks ended up in hospital taking 3 to 5 a day.”

Scott · Taken for 10 years or more October 11, 2020

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: “I was on Tegretol from the mid late 80’s till 2016. It helped in the beginning. But as I got older, add on drugs were needed. Then in 2014, I could not stop eating. I was always hungry, yet loosing weight. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. And I was put on medication for that. In 2016, my doc took me off tegretol and replaced it with lamictal. Once off the tegretol, my thyroid started to function normally. And medication for my thyroid was no longer needed. It’s not a bad drug. But your body changes over time. Another negative about the drug was how frequently I had to urinate. I would have to go at least 15 if not more times a day. Towards its discontinuation, I was on 1200mg of it daily.”

Bereshit · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2020

For Peripheral Neuropathy: “I have been diagnosed with Neuropathy due to diabetes. Doctor prescribe me 20 mg of Cymbalta which it work for a period of maybe 2 years but recently I noticed that burning and anxiety in my feet is returning back she increase my dose to 60 mg and this is my 3rd week and apparently is helping but a friend told me about carbamazepine to treat my neuropathy issue but after reading the side effects I am not sure if I should change the medication just to try.”

Glen UK September 29, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I am 71 years old and experienced severe face pain last week so my first port of call was the dentist. I asked him to X ray all my teeth and give me a check up. The X rays showed little difference to those taken 5 years ago and a thorough examination of all my teeth showed no problems. That evening I tried to eat scrambled egg and the pain was excruciating when I tried to bite down on the food. The next day I managed to see my GP, explained all my symptoms and was given a prescription for Tegretol 100 mg twice a day. I took 5 in all. The pain is gone, dizzy and confused I nearly fell down the stairs. I started to feel sick couldn't face food. I stopped taking them after 4 tablets and will wait to see if pain comes back. I am not sure if these pills can be taken sporadically or over a period of time to work. I am scared of this medicine as my mother-in-law who also has TN warned me that the medical profession has doubts about the safety of this drug.”

Kaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “So, I was previously on Valproate for 13 years, but my bipolar kept kept relapsing. I demanded a medication change and 16 weeks ago I was put on carbamazepine and quetiapine. In terms of treating the manic symptoms it's working really well, but it doesn't seem to work for the depression side of things, so my Dr is going to add a low dose anti-depressant. The big problem I have is migraines. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer anyway and since taking this medication I have had a migraine every day, that doesn't respond to my migraine medication. I'm really hoping that they subside because I'm going to have to come off this medication if they don't. Having exhausted all of the other mood stabalisers and anti-psychotics (allergic to them) I'm going to be screwed.”

Lululemon August 21, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I thought it was a toothache happening in my right upper jaw. My partner recommended me to see my doctor we who referred me to a neursurgeon. He recommended surgery. I had the surgery and the pain was gone for 5 years. Then out of the blue the pain hit me. My home Doctor issued carbamizepine but it took awhile to to take effect. They started to work and I was pain free for about a year. Suddenly pain returned. I increased the dosage but it still hasn't helped. The pain happened when I went to wipe my nasal part of my nose on right side. The shock went from there to my cheek and eye area. I was taking 2 pills in the morning and 1 pill at lunch hour and 2 in the evening. Shocks happen in the morning and now they are unpredictable. I seen the doc and said to add one more at lunch time. I thought it may be from drinking coffee as it has caffeine in it. So I'm cutting out any caffeinated drinks and see if its part of the problem.. Praying for everyone who is suffering from this horrible pain.”

Rydegirl2000 August 7, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've suffered from bipolar and psychosis since I was 14 years old, probably triggered by sexual abuse when I was a small child. I had a psychotic breakdown 12 years ago and my doctor prescribed carbamazepine (I had been wrongly diagnosed with schizophrenia, in fact it was schizoid affective disorder), after just one dose I felt my head calm down and I experienced semblance of peace at last. It genuinely saved my life despite side effects which I can live with.”

Red · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “This drug - carbamazepine 100 mg chewable tabs by Torrent - caused dramatic swelling of my throat. My throat felt as though I had a bad cold. The swelling on either side of my throat was visible from the "outside". Eating was painful. I did not suspect the medication was causing my problem for several weeks (3). I have had tri gem in the past and used carbamazepine at that time (though not one made by Torrent). And I had suffered no such symptoms. I've called my physician for an appt to discuss options.”

Debbie April 22, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “My father took this drug and it developed into Alzheimer’s or so we thought it turned out to be the meds he was on”

Oldie · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I'm 72 years old, living in New Zealand, which is in lockdown for Covid-19. I started with dreadful pain in my face 5 days ago. I managed to get an appointment with my doctor, who diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia immediately! She gave me 10mg Amitriptylene to take at night, & said she'd phone me the next day. I managed to get about three hours sleep, but still had the pain attacks. She rang, & decided to put me on carbamazepine, 200mg at night for a week, then increasing by 200mg in the morning, and increasing by one tablet daily, if needed. Wow! A wonderful night's sleep & a huge decrease in pain. I can still feel an attack starting, but the pain is getting duller by the day. This pain is the absolute worst I've ever experienced. I had pancreatitis 20 years ago & I thought that was horrendous, but this is so much worse. Fingers crossed, the attacks will start to decrease now. The only side-effect I have is being very drowsy, but I can cope with that.”

Littleshadow · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “After two dental crowns in which they had to cut my gums to get the crowns on, I started with constant pain. I kept going back to the dentist and he diagnosed me with TMD. I spent a fortune in physical therapy before seeing an oral surgeon who did a panoramic and found my disc looked good. After multiple visits to my family doctor, I was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed me with TN2. After two and a half years of constant pain, I was finally pain free taking carbamazepine. It took a week before it started working and then it lasted for five days and now the pain is back. I don't know if I can continue teaching which requires me to talk. I have taught for 22 years.”

Lovies · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Hi I been drinking Tegertol, since I was very young. It assist me for my manic episodes, to be satisfied and excited. Before I had a hard time, at school problems of my academic performance was very poor Still I was in a treatment with Epilim but it wasn't working instead it made me even worse. Causing me to have depression mood and manic episodes at the same time . Been very tearful and loneliness also sad at high school those previous years 2014-2016 Now that I am on Tegretol is the best medication that is suitable for me. Now I am stable in condition. Balance of my manic episodes and depressed.”

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: “My experience was ok in the beginning till I stopped taking them then started taking them again I felt horrible my mind was all over the place my anxiety was kicked up a notch I thought I was going crazy but my doctor said it will subside soon but I couldn't handle the 200mg twice a day so I cut one in half for now till my body gets used to them again. I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this.”

Anonymous November 15, 2019

For Dystonia: “I was having spasms 24/7 they were horrendous, I commenced on Carbamazepine & within 10 days they were gone, couldn't believe it.”

Mnyc · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: “Tegretolol is the only medicine that stops my tonic clonic seizures. I've been on it over a year, taking 1,000 mgs a day. The first month I had memory problems and drowsiness but that went away fast. The biggest side effect I had that never went away is severe depression caused by it. My depression is gone thanks to Lexapro 20 mg a day. I highly recommend Tegretol for tonic clonics seizures due to Epilepsy.”

Facepain · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2019

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “When I was first diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia I was in lots of pain. Pain medications did NOTHING. But Epitol worked but I was continually upped on the dose to keep it working. At the highest dose my Dr would give, 1200mg a day the pain still came back AGAIN. Finally a neurologist added 25mg of Amitriptyline and lowered the Epitol to 600mg a day. I've even lowered that over the past few years to just 400mg of Epitol a day and still only 25mg of Amitriptyline at night. I've also used Carbazamepine (the name brand) and Epitol (the generic) both work the same for me.”

Noname · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

For Epilepsy: “This stuff was horrible for me, did not stop sleeping siezures and side effects gave me such a bad attitude, I was very grouchy but was numb to most feelings for other issues. I didn't want to do anything, ruined my appetite and my relationship. 200 mg twice a day”