User Reviews for Carbamazepine

6.8

Borderline Personality Disorder

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 7.0 259 reviews

Reviews for Carbamazepine

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started tegretol (carbamazapine) 48 hours ago 100mg 2x daily. I have been experiencing a lightning bolt in the right side of my face from upper lip to eye, randomly for about 1 and 1/2 years now. Over time they came more frequently. After diagnosed I was so thankful that I had never received the continuous one… until today! I had an MRI with contrast today. I tried to breathe shallow through most of it. When they went to take me out, I could smell patchouli. This is one scent that has always brought on my gag reflex. I was already holding my breath trying not to cough as I am still sick and swallowing brings on the shock unless I lean my head down and hold still. I was trying to set up and the shock came on and did not let go for 3 minutes and as I tried to breathe afterward it came on again for another 2 with no letting go. Headache present since this am, maybe tegretol?"

Md February 27, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Was diagnosed with TN pretty swiftly after about three weeks of face pain one week of which was worse than giving birth! Was put on 100mg twice a day and after one week the pain subsided. I was very happy. Only side affect was a terrible drowsiness most of the day but better than the pain. However by week three (still on only 200mg per day) I started to feel very unwell. I felt like I was dying. I got terrible fever and the drowsiness got so unbearable I could hardly walk. I got a mouth ulcer (never get them) then another. I could hardly eat, felt nauseous, dizzy and very unwell. Finally the doctor ordered a blood test and he then called me up a couple of days later to tell me to stop taking the drug immediately because I had an allergic reaction and it had affected my liver. Off it now and feeling more like my old self. Luckily the TN has subsided and hopefully it won't come back for a long time. If it does I won't be taking Carbamazepine again."

Miona (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I'm 18. I had random contractions and twists in my arm since when I was 10. It lasted for only about 0.005 secs. And then gradually increase. Now I have attacks that last for hours (the longest one lasted 9 hrs). I used to consult ortho docs since I did not not know what it was. They kept telling me I had muscle cramps. Because I do martial arts I believed it. But at last I consulted a nuero when once I had a bad attack and the ortho doc was on leave. He diagnosed me with exercise induced paroxysmal dystonia. He prescribed tegretol and I started on a low dose. It didn't seem to help me. I gradually increased its dose and now I don't get those attacks! I have no family history of disorders but one cousin with epilepsy."

Ash (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started tegretol about 4 days ago and I've had the most crazy side effects ever. I've been on this medication several years ago I never had all these side effects before. It feels like I'm high all the time. My face is a little numb I'm very wobbly when I walk and have vertigo. I'm considering stopping it and consulting my doctor. I'm very nauseous when I take it in the morning in combination with my iron pill, (ferrious Sulfate)."

Jill (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2018

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "This medicine helped tremendously with neurological pain from multi-level spinal cord compression. This was the only nerve pain medication which helped me to some degree by lowering the severity of the nerve pain from 10 ER level to about a 6 level I-Can-Get-Through-This pain. Unfortunately, I could only stay on it for a couple of months because it had very bad interactions with amlodipine BP med, causing increased severe side effects and loss of vision."

Patrizian (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on this for Bipolar and WOW I have not had a worse experience since Paxil. This medication, instead of stabilizing my mood, brought out two severe manic episodes in the 5 days I was on it during the day, and it made me self harm after i’d been clean for so long. Worst experience ever and had to stop taking immediately"

allltheproblems (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "The best thing since sliced bread. I was on lithium, depakote, seroquel and other drugs I can't remember. However, none of the other meds worked for me like tegretol. I take is along with celexa for my bipolar 1 diagnosis. I feel great. "

Mel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take a low dose of Tegretol (200mg) 30 year old male 85kg. I find it isn't hugely noticeable however, it stops me getting a little too excited/frustrated and function better at work. No noticeable side effects at this dose. Taking 600mg dampened feelings such as love which I didn't like. I then stopped it but became prone to being a little too passionate again. So I started a very low dose which doesn't do heaps but I think it helps. I don't think it will change the world but may stop huge manic outbreaks. Not sure about hypomania though."

Ash1050 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2018

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've been living with unbearable pain for 3 years. My official diagnosis is trigeminal neuralgia, although I'm still not sure the diagnosis is correct. Like many others, I've had endless dental procedures to no avail. They tried to put me on Tegretol and other anticonvulsants, but I can't tolerate it. The pain went away like magic from the first pill but the side effects were unbearable. It's as if someone hands you a life jacket and then it blows up in your face. I get a horrific state of agitation that lasts for many hours. I have to move, hit, kick, to relieve this madness (akathisia). My question: can I have relief from pain with Tegretol if the pain is caused by something ELSE (such as a dental implant, in my case)? Or is the diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia definitive if the pain goes away? Thank you."

TrigeminalOrNot (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

For Epilepsy: "Hospitalized 16 days for Keppra toxicity & lack of follow up by my Dr. Even though I took as prescribed. I quickly dropped from 130lb to 106 lbs as I was unable to eat/drink severe nausea terrible pain, right side unable to speak delirious forgetful seizures 1st time in decades unable to care for my husband/self Had to place my husband in a care facility which was the saddest thing! Lost my drivers license for 6 months due to a seizures so then couldn't visit my husband/get food. Had Walker even though I am young! I blame much of this on the Dr who did not listen to me as I described my extreme changes via phone caused by Keppra. I gave up on pdoc and got someone to take me to another hospital out of town where they determined I had keppra toxicity. Three Dr's stated it is a miracle I am alive! A toxicity specialist said it would take me a year to recuperate I was so ill, it did. I thank God for giving me the strength to get through that Nightmare."

Lynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Works well for my bipolar depression. Only complaint is its price when paying cash."

Firephoenix11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Been taking 3x day for several years. Suffered on and off for decades from head/facial pain with no diagnosis. Finally went to good neurologist. Tried gabapentin. Didn't work at all. (Neither does Dilaudid) This does make me groggy still and I have nausea, brain-drain and more. I would take any side effect for relief from that horrific pain. I've had it so bad, I literally couldn't breathe in. The break through pain I now gets is mainly an ache in my ear and sometimes teeth. The side effects also may be from the 15 other meds I take for various problems."

CrossWalker (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2018

For Dystonia: "I have paroxysmal kinesigenic dystonia. I have been on this medicine for 9 years. When my dystonia was at its worst (middle & high school), I took 400 mg daily. Over time, it became not as bad, and now I take my pills when I feel like I need it. Usually 400 mg once a week. This medicine has helped me SO much, and I would not have been able to live without it!"

P (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2018

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for : "I have been on Carbatrol capsules for about 9 years now. I started out with taking 300mg daily, I had mild side effects, diarrhea and headaches but they subsided fairly quickly, then my psych Dr increased it to 300mg twice a day. It made me tired and didn't feel like doing anything for about 2 weeks. I slept 12-14 hours everyday and was still tired, then it got a little bit better I guess, with time. I hate getting my blood drawn every 3-6 months to check my WBC, and CBC. I also think its not working so good for me anymore. I have Bipolar Depression, and I also take Viibryd, Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, Abilify, and Synthroid for my Hypothyroidism. I'm just wondering if there is anything just as effective as Carbatrol but don't have to have blood work done. Also my moods are all over the place, one minute I'm fine and the next I have a short fuse, and the next minute I'm crying. I'm so confused."

ellmac5 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2018

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "While I've taken tegretol in the past with no issues, this time is different. First time around no side effects. This time - possibly due to other medication - I've had horrible side effects. Headaches every day, dizziness, nausea to the point of not even enjoying a glass of water. Lightheadedness, unsteady on your feet -going for a walk with my friend the other day I MUST have looked like a drunk. TBH -this time around I'd rather have the nerve pain."

Felicia3127 January 25, 2018

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Makes me nauseated"

Delila123 November 30, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been on tegretol for seven years now,I still have general pain with the occasional flair up of unbearable pain that I had before taking this medication. I am also on a high dose of folic acid as I became very anemic, this caused tiredness. It was just by chance I was diagnosed with TN after being in extreme pain for over 6 months, many doctors and tests one specialist just said it could be this, let's try this drug it may not work but if it does we are on the right track. To be honest with you if she said I needed to cut off a limb to ease the pain at that point I would have asked for the knife. I was miserable the pain was unbearable and so was I. I do feel it is not working as well after all these years may be due for review."

SarahD-uk November 10, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "loose of epilepsy control"

Momi042 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I an 27 years old and I started taking tegretol 6 years ago. I have 2 healthy kids and I have no more seizures. I used to have light ones but I didn't know what is happening for 2 or 3 seconds!! Since I started using this medicine I'm feeling better. Half a pill in the morning and a full pill at night and it's extremely a perfect choice by the neurologist!"

Bellamama October 15, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Caused extreme painful headaches, which did not respond to painkillers."

78b (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started on one tablet a day at beginning of July for acute attack of TGN increasing to two a day for three weeks then down to one then alternate days last one on ,14th August 2017 as pain gone. Since then I have had skin rashes, swollen eyes which initially was diagnosed as ', Prickly heat,' then the last two weeks I have suffered from mood swings, disturbed sleeping, emotional, irrational, hyper activity. My brain never stops working thought not always sensible, nor speech. I do loads of tasks going from one to another and making more work for myself. Had bloods done and awaiting results. Whilst researching came across this and wondered if this could be the cause. Has anyone else heard of it? Studies show it is people with epilepsy"

Grandma judy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I became very ill shortly after starting the medication. Unbearable itching as well as yellow jaundice dark urine as well as feeling very unwell"

Binz (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking tegretol close to twenty years now I found it fantastic for my moods but I've just found out it can also make the sodium in your blood go low. I was recently hospitalised for this problem. My psych is in the middle of getting me off it. I was taking 800 mgs a day 400mgs in the morning and 400 mgs at night. Has anybody else had this experience if so how did you go coming off it"

willy2016 September 10, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I am taking time-released carbamazepine for vestibular paroxysmia. I was experiencing machine-gun type tinnitus accompanied by vertigo for about 15 seconds at 45 second intervals. I started on 100 mg twice as day; I felt improvement within 12 hours. After one week my symptoms returned and my doctor increased the dose to three, then four times a day. It has greatly reduced the tinnitus and vertigo, though I still get it if I lean over or lie down on that side. I experienced severe drowsiness and occasional dizziness the first few days, and after 6 weeks am still sleeping about 2 hours more than usual. I have become extremely sensitive to the sun (must wear strong sunblock, hat, and polarized glasses whenever outdoors.)"

Poppy2017 August 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Well I've been taking depakote 250mg twice a day with citalpram 25mg for 10+ years. It has worked genius for me. Love it. Here recently, the last month or so it's working so well. Tried taking Carbamazepine and it through me for a loop. I had suicidal thoughts again, I broke out in rashes on my shoulders and arms, my face would get flushed and I started my cycle 2 weeks early. Which my Dr then immediately took me off of it 4 that last reason. I wanted a bump up from my 500mg so that's why she prescribed me that. Two 300mg pills a day along with my citalpram. My dr said alot of her patients love it. I did not! Lol. I told her I took one for the team. Now on to try something else. Shit. BTW I'm 35."

Yellehsheup (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2017