User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Tegretol, Carbatrol, Tegretol XR, Epitol, Equetro

Carbamazepine has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 312 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 22% reported a negative experience.

Trigeminal Neuralgia
Cluster-Tic Syndrome  Off-label
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 6.9 312 reviews

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Oldie · Taken for less than 1 month · April 5, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I'm 72 years old, living in New Zealand, which is in lockdown for Covid-19. I started with dreadful pain in my face 5 days ago. I managed to get an appointment with my doctor, who diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia immediately! She gave me 10mg Amitriptylene to take at night, & said she'd phone me the next day. I managed to get about three hours sleep, but still had the pain attacks. She rang, & decided to put me on carbamazepine, 200mg at night for a week, then increasing by 200mg in the morning, and increasing by one tablet daily, if needed. Wow! A wonderful night's sleep & a huge decrease in pain. I can still feel an attack starting, but the pain is getting duller by the day. This pain is the absolute worst I've ever experienced. I had pancreatitis 20 years ago & I thought that was horrendous, but this is so much worse. Fingers crossed, the attacks will start to decrease now. The only side-effect I have is being very drowsy, but I can cope with that.”

rscudder · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 18, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression.”

PJDW · October 15, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was dying. I take this (200 mg) - 3 times a day with another medicine. I have been pain free for 7 months. I stay drowsy and stagger at times but I can deal with that as long as the medicines continue to help me.”

FrustratedMomma · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 12, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I take tegretol for Trigeminal Neuralgia in the V2 or maxillary nerve on the right side of my face. When I 1st started taking tegretol I thought it was a wonder drug I could again speak with my mouth open I could chew I could laugh and smile but the side effects have become more than I can deal with and the TN is back super sporadically and hanging on for longer than before per attack. It seems the game has changed. I now experience longer more painful bouts and my motor skills are severely compromised. I forget common words while speaking. I walk into door frames. I think I need to see a neurologist. I don't want to be a guinea pig to other medication or treatment.”

Littleshadow · Taken for less than 1 month · February 20, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “After two dental crowns in which they had to cut my gums to get the crowns on, I started with constant pain. I kept going back to the dentist and he diagnosed me with TMD. I spent a fortune in physical therapy before seeing an oral surgeon who did a panoramic and found my disc looked good. After multiple visits to my family doctor, I was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed me with TN2. After two and a half years of constant pain, I was finally pain free taking carbamazepine. It took a week before it started working and then it lasted for five days and now the pain is back. I don't know if I can continue teaching which requires me to talk. I have taught for 22 years.”

Wolfie Kins · December 19, 2013

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.”

Spacey · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 18, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I think Tegretol (Carbamazepine) is a wonder drug for trigeminal neuralgia (TN or TGN) pain. That being said, the side effects are horrible. I was doing well on it-- but suddenly, the spaciness has returned with memory loss, intense lassitude, drowiness, weight gain, constipation; I am going to have to reduce dose. Not sure whether to notify doctor(s) first, or not (as I plan to do it, anyway! as I simply cannot function.) I guess I will leave them a message with office staff; it's impossible to get a doctor to call back. I plan to reduce it by 100 mg slowly the same way I started which was to slowly increase the dose. However, I will only reduce it by 100 mg., until I can see doctor. Wish me luck!”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month · March 2, 2021

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I had severe nerve pain in my face on the right side that just came out of nowhere. All of a sudden it felt like an electrical wire from below my eye down to my upper lip was burning. The pain was excruciating. It lasted anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds at a time. It happened about 50 times a day. Sometimes I couldn’t even talk or open my mouth it hurt so bad. After two weeks I couldn’t take it anymore so I went to my primary care physician, and he prescribed 200 mg of Tegretol twice a day. I started by just taking one in the morning and that was all each day. After the second day the pain was totally gone. He didn’t give me any refills, so I’ll probably have to go to a neurologist and find out what I need to do.”

revdrladi3 · Taken for less than 1 month · June 25, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “June 12, 2017 I was dx with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) after an emergency trip to my dentist thinking I had a tooth, gum or nerve issue on June 4th. Dentist put me on 500 mg antibiotic and I was taking 650 mg of Tylenol. Nothing! Terrible pain, I wanted to chop my head. The pain had me in tears crying out. My Dr. put me on prednisone and I was still taking 650 mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. Nothing. Then she put me on Carbamazepine, along with the other meds and I stopped the antibiotic. After 5 days I could breathe again with only a ache. People thought I was crazy when I told them having relief for an ache was a miracle. But it is, I live by the clock on my phone so I do not miss a dose, I live in fear that the pain will come back in full force.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · September 7, 2012

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I found Tegretol amazing. It made me so calm and stable even after a few days, the only issue with it is it makes me very drowsy and a little disorientated. That's the one side effect I've noticed. So if you drive a lot or operate heavy machinery or are a surgeon this is not the medication for you. Otherwise it is a great mood stabilizer.”

Monistar · Taken for less than 1 month · April 24, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I've been on Tegretol for 4 days. It has taken me from excruciating pain to dull soreness. It's a wonder drug. I'm sleepy but almost pain free. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed after only six weeks. I'm praying it lasts!”

Self Medicator · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass.”

MissyC · October 12, 2011

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I had a horrible experience after being prescribed Tegretol while in the hospital to treat my bipolar disorder. Within a few days of starting it, I began experiencing the shaking, nausea, etc. but the worst was the extreme anger/irritability I started experiencing. It got to the point that I would have horrible rages and felt like I was completely losing control. I kept asking my doctor to take me off the Tegretol, but he wouldn't. During one of these rages, I ended up fracturing my wrist because I hit a door so hard. After that, he agreed to take me off of it. After talking to other patients, I found out that a lot of them had similar experiences with this uncontrollable anger. ”

Connie 1963 · March 27, 2013

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I was initially put on Tegretol only to have it stop working after about 3 weeks. Dr. added Neurontin and eventually had surgery to remove the blood vessel and wrap the nerve. Best of luck to anyone with this terrible condition.”

happy50 · April 2, 2009

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have been using Tegretol for 6 months for BiPolar and I have felt happier consistently for the first time in my life. I have tried many others over 15 years and Tegretol has changed my life. I have had no side effects! Go Tegretol!”

tabeloe · July 17, 2009

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I started Tegretol a week ago for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I was having more and more episodes of TN, and was miserable. Since starting the medicine, I have only had one brief episode of pain. I have had terrible itching since I started taking it. I saw a different Doctor today about the itching, and he said the dose was too high. Hopefully the 100 mg twice a day will relieve the TN pain and not cause itching. I am happy to try the Tegretol, because TN pain is unbearable. Worse than any pain I've ever had (including labor, c-section pain, and oral surgery pain.”

OrcaTotem · March 10, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something.”

Bipolar? · January 26, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.”

ggrantland · May 14, 2011

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I've been using CARBAMAZEPINE 200mg twice a day for about two years. It does a good job in limiting the amount of pain I have with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I found it best to take the medication regularly. If I skip days when I am not having problems the pain will be right back and it will take several days to get it back under control. I've tried GABAPENTIN 300mg and OXCARBAZEPINE 150mg but they did not help. The CARBAMAZEPINE makes me tired and sleepy but that is a lot better than the pain.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · March 7, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.”

LF · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 5, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “After 5 long years of incorrect diagnosis, unnecessary dental and ear surgeries, I was finally diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) about 12 months ago and put on 3 x 200mg of Tegretol daily. I have had horrific side effects with serious changes to my menstrual cycle (8 week non stop bleeding) but it is still better than living with the TN episodes that I would have almost daily. I have recently been having milder episodes and may have to try something else.”

Anonymous · August 27, 2009

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I have been suffering from Trigeminal Neuralgia for almost 8 years thinking that I was having tooth problems. Since my symptoms would come and go, I never did any further research and accepted my dentist's explanation that it was just sensitive teeth. This time, I couldn't accept that and decided to research further. Thank goodness I did and thank goodness for Tegretol! After being on it for only 2 days I am experiencing almost total relief! TN was the most painful experience of my life. The only down side to the medicine so far has been some light-headedness, which I am hoping will diminish or go away completely.”

Sara10 · June 11, 2017

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I have been taking 200mgs of Carbatrol every day for 8 years, due to TN. My TN is the typical type, stabbing facial pain. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to live a normal life without any pain and I have no side effects. Sometimes my insurance asks me to use Tegretol because it's cheaper and has the same main ingredient, but I react horribly to it. I'm lucky to I have a doctor that is willing to advocate for me. Frankly though, I would pay out of pocket for the Carbatrol before I would use a generic. If you have TN and don't have a good reaction to Tegretol I would definitely recommend trying Carbatrol.”

Zara91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 22, 2013

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!”

sooooconfused · Taken for 10 years or more · June 3, 2019

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I’ve been using carbatrol for at least 15 to 20 years and have noticed my front teeth are getting loose . But after my second MVD I AM STILL 5yrs painfree. Except when my brother passed away in Feb 2019, started crying and had three massive face pains so I had to stop crying So that was due to strees. So I keep up to date on my blood test but just realized a side effect is loose teeth which is a VERY small price to pay for no pain”