User Reviews for Carbamazepine

6.4

Borderline Personality Disorder

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 7.0 250 reviews

Reviews for Carbamazepine

For Epilepsy: "Hospitalized 16 days for Keppra toxicity & lack of follow up by my Dr. Even though I took as prescribed. I quickly dropped from 130lb to 106 lbs as I was unable to eat/drink severe nausea terrible pain, right side unable to speak delirious forgetful seizures 1st time in decades unable to care for my husband/self Had to place my husband in a care facility which was the saddest thing! Lost my drivers license for 6 months due to a seizures so then couldn't visit my husband/get food. Had Walker even though I am young! I blame much of this on the Dr who did not listen to me as I described my extreme changes via phone caused by Keppra. I gave up on pdoc and got someone to take me to another hospital out of town where they determined I had keppra toxicity. Three Dr's stated it is a miracle I am alive! A toxicity specialist said it would take me a year to recuperate I was so ill, it did. I thank God for giving me the strength to get through that Nightmare."

Lynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Works well for my bipolar depression. Only complaint is its price when paying cash."

Firephoenix11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Been taking 3x day for several years. Suffered on and off for decades from head/facial pain with no diagnosis. Finally went to good neurologist. Tried gabapentin. Didn't work at all. (Neither does Dilaudid) This does make me groggy still and I have nausea, brain-drain and more. I would take any side effect for relief from that horrific pain. I've had it so bad, I literally couldn't breathe in. The break through pain I now gets is mainly an ache in my ear and sometimes teeth. The side effects also may be from the 15 other meds I take for various problems."

CrossWalker (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2018

For Dystonia: "I have paroxysmal kinesigenic dystonia. I have been on this medicine for 9 years. When my dystonia was at its worst (middle & high school), I took 400 mg daily. Over time, it became not as bad, and now I take my pills when I feel like I need it. Usually 400 mg once a week. This medicine has helped me SO much, and I would not have been able to live without it!"

P (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2018

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for : "I have been on Carbatrol capsules for about 9 years now. I started out with taking 300mg daily, I had mild side effects, diarrhea and headaches but they subsided fairly quickly, then my psych Dr increased it to 300mg twice a day. It made me tired and didn't feel like doing anything for about 2 weeks. I slept 12-14 hours everyday and was still tired, then it got a little bit better I guess, with time. I hate getting my blood drawn every 3-6 months to check my WBC, and CBC. I also think its not working so good for me anymore. I have Bipolar Depression, and I also take Viibryd, Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, Abilify, and Synthroid for my Hypothyroidism. I'm just wondering if there is anything just as effective as Carbatrol but don't have to have blood work done. Also my moods are all over the place, one minute I'm fine and the next I have a short fuse, and the next minute I'm crying. I'm so confused."

ellmac5 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2018

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "While I've taken tegretol in the past with no issues, this time is different. First time around no side effects. This time - possibly due to other medication - I've had horrible side effects. Headaches every day, dizziness, nausea to the point of not even enjoying a glass of water. Lightheadedness, unsteady on your feet -going for a walk with my friend the other day I MUST have looked like a drunk. TBH -this time around I'd rather have the nerve pain."

Felicia3127 January 25, 2018

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Makes me nauseated"

Delila123 November 30, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been on tegretol for seven years now,I still have general pain with the occasional flair up of unbearable pain that I had before taking this medication. I am also on a high dose of folic acid as I became very anemic, this caused tiredness. It was just by chance I was diagnosed with TN after being in extreme pain for over 6 months, many doctors and tests one specialist just said it could be this, let's try this drug it may not work but if it does we are on the right track. To be honest with you if she said I needed to cut off a limb to ease the pain at that point I would have asked for the knife. I was miserable the pain was unbearable and so was I. I do feel it is not working as well after all these years may be due for review."

SarahD-uk November 10, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "loose of epilepsy control"

Momi042 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I an 27 years old and I started taking tegretol 6 years ago. I have 2 healthy kids and I have no more seizures. I used to have light ones but I didn't know what is happening for 2 or 3 seconds!! Since I started using this medicine I'm feeling better. Half a pill in the morning and a full pill at night and it's extremely a perfect choice by the neurologist!"

Bellamama October 15, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Caused extreme painful headaches, which did not respond to painkillers."

78b (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I started on one tablet a day at beginning of July for acute attack of TGN increasing to two a day for three weeks then down to one then alternate days last one on ,14th August 2017 as pain gone. Since then I have had skin rashes, swollen eyes which initially was diagnosed as ', Prickly heat,' then the last two weeks I have suffered from mood swings, disturbed sleeping, emotional, irrational, hyper activity. My brain never stops working thought not always sensible, nor speech. I do loads of tasks going from one to another and making more work for myself. Had bloods done and awaiting results. Whilst researching came across this and wondered if this could be the cause. Has anyone else heard of it? Studies show it is people with epilepsy"

Grandma judy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I became very ill shortly after starting the medication. Unbearable itching as well as yellow jaundice dark urine as well as feeling very unwell"

Binz (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking tegretol close to twenty years now I found it fantastic for my moods but I've just found out it can also make the sodium in your blood go low. I was recently hospitalised for this problem. My psych is in the middle of getting me off it. I was taking 800 mgs a day 400mgs in the morning and 400 mgs at night. Has anybody else had this experience if so how did you go coming off it"

willy2016 September 10, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I am taking time-released carbamazepine for vestibular paroxysmia. I was experiencing machine-gun type tinnitus accompanied by vertigo for about 15 seconds at 45 second intervals. I started on 100 mg twice as day; I felt improvement within 12 hours. After one week my symptoms returned and my doctor increased the dose to three, then four times a day. It has greatly reduced the tinnitus and vertigo, though I still get it if I lean over or lie down on that side. I experienced severe drowsiness and occasional dizziness the first few days, and after 6 weeks am still sleeping about 2 hours more than usual. I have become extremely sensitive to the sun (must wear strong sunblock, hat, and polarized glasses whenever outdoors.)"

Poppy2017 August 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Well I've been taking depakote 250mg twice a day with citalpram 25mg for 10+ years. It has worked genius for me. Love it. Here recently, the last month or so it's working so well. Tried taking Carbamazepine and it through me for a loop. I had suicidal thoughts again, I broke out in rashes on my shoulders and arms, my face would get flushed and I started my cycle 2 weeks early. Which my Dr then immediately took me off of it 4 that last reason. I wanted a bump up from my 500mg so that's why she prescribed me that. Two 300mg pills a day along with my citalpram. My dr said alot of her patients love it. I did not! Lol. I told her I took one for the team. Now on to try something else. Shit. BTW I'm 35."

Yellehsheup (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2017

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "made me extremely sleepy, I would wake up in strange places i.e. kitchen floor with no knowledge of how I got there. Most importantly it didn't help with nerve pain in my feet at all."

realdeal54 July 18, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I've been on this medication for almost 8 years now, and could not imagine going off of it. When I first started on carbemazepine, I could tell the difference within a few weeks. My mood swings became less volatile and it gives me a "buffer period" between actions and my reactions so that I am able to think about what is happening and react in an appropriate way. Weight gain and sexual side effects have not been a problem for me with this medication either."

notasponge (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 17, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've had TN for about 6 or so years was put on 900mg a day and that worked for a few years n duh me slowly stared taking myself off n pain got worse so Dr upped the dose 1800mg a day that worked for quite awhile then later it started coming back so did a lot of research and come across people that did the cyberknife treatment and no referral and they got me in right away for first appt and did MRI and CT and they made a mask and two weeks later I had it done I'm just a few days out since treatment and they pain will get less n less after a month or so, so I'm hopeful, the other comments said they have been pain free after the nerve started to die with a slight numbness n I can deal with that verses pain I'm hoping they find a cure"

VW (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 14, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "June 12, 2017 I was dx with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) after an emergency trip to my dentist thinking I had a tooth, gum or nerve issue on June 4th. Dentist put me on 500 mg antibiotic and I was taking 650 mg of Tylenol. Nothing! Terrible pain, I wanted to chop my head. The pain had me in tears crying out. My Dr. put me on prednisone and I was still taking 650 mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. Nothing. Then she put me on Carbamazepine, along with the other meds and I stopped the antibiotic. After 5 days I could breathe again with only a ache. People thought I was crazy when I told them having relief for an ache was a miracle. But it is, I live by the clock on my phone so I do not miss a dose, I live in fear that the pain will come back in full force."

revdrladi3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been taking 200mgs of Carbatrol every day for 8 years, due to TN. My TN is the typical type, stabbing facial pain. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to live a normal life without any pain and I have no side effects. Sometimes my insurance asks me to use Tegretol because it's cheaper and has the same main ingredient, but I react horribly to it. I'm lucky to I have a doctor that is willing to advocate for me. Frankly though, I would pay out of pocket for the Carbatrol before I would use a generic. If you have TN and don't have a good reaction to Tegretol I would definitely recommend trying Carbatrol."

Sara10 June 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on carbamazepine for 17 years and find it keeps my mood stabilized and works best as an anti-manic. It is not much help with depression. I had tried Lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics prior to carbamazepine and the thing I loved about this drug is I did not gain weight on it, in fact after coming off Depakote and on to this I lost 40 pounds. So for me it is weight neutral. I have heard others say otherwise...some gained, some lost, some stayed the same. My serum sodium does run slightly low, and I am sometimes tired, but that is the mainstay with psychiatric drugs. The initial breaking in phase was rough, about 3 months to adjust to the medication, but with the weight loss after Depakote..."

flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Was diagnosed in January with TN, although I thought that's what I had. My dad & his sister had TN as well. Started on a low dose of carbamazepine, 200mg a day & naively I thought this would make the pain disappear. No it did not. They gradually increased dose to 300mg three times a day & this worked for approx 8 weeks. I thought I had found the dosage that would work for me & I would be pain free forever, but no the pain returned last week & it was excruciating, could hardly eat anything. I increased my dose to 400mg in the morning, 300mg in the afternoon & 400mg at night & gradually the pain has disappeared. Spoke to doctor today & I can increase dosage to 1600mg if needed & she will prescribe slow acting carbamazepine as well."

Blob262 May 16, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Best drug for bipolar if you can pass initial side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Was only one this 3 weeks. Didn't help much and made me nasty. I would go from normal to telling people off. Even family. For no reason at all."

Dhaniboi (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017