User Reviews for Carbamazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Tegretol, Carbatrol, Tegretol XR, Epitol, Equetro

Carbamazepine has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 92 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Carbamazepine Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Carbamazepine

rscudder · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression.”

Wolfie Kins December 19, 2013

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.”

Self Medicator · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2012

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I found Tegretol amazing. It made me so calm and stable even after a few days, the only issue with it is it makes me very drowsy and a little disorientated. That's the one side effect I've noticed. So if you drive a lot or operate heavy machinery or are a surgeon this is not the medication for you. Otherwise it is a great mood stabilizer.”

happy50 April 2, 2009

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I have been using Tegretol for 6 months for BiPolar and I have felt happier consistently for the first time in my life. I have tried many others over 15 years and Tegretol has changed my life. I have had no side effects! Go Tegretol!”

reneedilks February 18, 2008

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “my son age 5 has used tegretol for the past 6 months for bipolar disorder - it has shown a great improvement in his mood changes and has allowed others to accept him more. if the tegretol is not given we notice a huge mood swing and rage and depression becomes more apparent.”

MissyC October 12, 2011

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I had a horrible experience after being prescribed Tegretol while in the hospital to treat my bipolar disorder. Within a few days of starting it, I began experiencing the shaking, nausea, etc. but the worst was the extreme anger/irritability I started experiencing. It got to the point that I would have horrible rages and felt like I was completely losing control. I kept asking my doctor to take me off the Tegretol, but he wouldn't. During one of these rages, I ended up fracturing my wrist because I hit a door so hard. After that, he agreed to take me off of it. After talking to other patients, I found out that a lot of them had similar experiences with this uncontrollable anger. ”

Bipolar? January 26, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.”

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something.”

Zara91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2013

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!”

Yankee Paul · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time.”

Flyinghow · Taken for 10 years or more October 23, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too.”

Damismommy June 5, 2019

“The carbamazepine has been a real life saver for me. I was hospitalized with psychosis and mania. I can get a racing mind also and/or rapid cycling (manic and depressed). This drug has helped me remain stable. I have been able to raise my son who is now two and even remain calm during tantrums. I needed to increase it many times for significant relief though.”

Anonymous June 14, 2011

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I had a very good experience on Tegretol. I had no side effects and was feeling better within three days. On top of stabilizing my moods it also reduced my fibromyalgia pain by a good 90% (which also helped my mood a lot). The only reason I stopped taking it is because I'm working on becoming pregnant and it does have some nasty side effects there. The new medicines I'm on don't work quite as well and I plan to go back on Tegretol as soon as I have a child.”

Anonymous March 21, 2010

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I've used Tegretol for the last three years and it's still working like it did in the beginning. My moods have been so much better over this time and I have a lot better outlook now versus the time before I started taking this medicine. I love these good moods I stay in throughout the day.”

Crazilysweet March 1, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay.”

feeling normal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2013

“This is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. I was diagnosed with a 'nonspecified mood disorder', feeling totally out of control, no concentration, extremely irritable, suicidally depressed, angry, extremely everything, you name it. Tried on Lexapro (small effect, then nothing), Effexor (killed my whole soul- left me feeling nothing at all and HORRIBLE to wean off off and gained 30 pounds in two months), Zoloft (turned me into a raging psychotic mess- violently angry ideations, a real nightmare), Xanax (psychosis), self-medication (won't go into that, but obviously not a good idea)....anyway, you get the gist. This medication gives me NO side effects and just took away my 'craziness' it changed my life.”

jmsneptuneonfire July 11, 2010

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Tegretol has slowed the rapid cycling I was experiencing with bipolar. I have noticed improved mood. I currently take a large dose, so I experience side effects. It's my only complaint about the drug. I would recommend anyone who is considering Tegretol for Bipolar to have a backup for depressed mood, as I don't feel it's effective for extreme low mood, mainly for bipolar mania.”

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare.”

Ezgi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I have been using tegretol for 6 months , 200 mg a day two times. Before this I started with abylify and it did not help me. I feel much more normal than before and I don't feel like I am going up or down anymore. But I think one of the most important thing is also not using alcohol and sleeping 8 hours a day.”

Taylor T. · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2012

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Caused me to be very drowsy all of the time, sleeping about 16 hours every night and I developed an itchy rash of red pimple-like bumps on my scalp and neckline and middle of my back after taking it for a few days.”

WWM October 29, 2010

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Well, I would say that the side effects, when you stop talking is like so. I feel like I'm shivering inside, one of the worst feeling in the world. So bad that if I miss a dose, I'm waiting at the Pharmacy before its open. I suggest that one doesn't miss a dose.”

bipolarsufferer August 17, 2014

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): “I was previously diagnosed with major depression with severe anxiety attacks. I was taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication for 3 years. My mood would vary greatly throughout this time period. I was self medicate until one night I tried to drive myself off of a bridge with my car full of people. I realized at that point I needed help and nothing was working. I call my therapist he suggested that I go to the emergency room. I did. I ended up getting admitted for attempted suicide. After a week in the hospital it was apparent I was bipolar and in a episode. I suffer from manic and depressive episodes. They put me on Tegretol XR and I began to be able to actually sleep a whole night and think normally.”

Mel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 4, 2018

“The best thing since sliced bread. I was on lithium, depakote, seroquel and other drugs I can't remember. However, none of the other meds worked for me like tegretol. I take is along with celexa for my bipolar 1 diagnosis. I feel great. ”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder