User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Carnexiv, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Carbamazepine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Carbamazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have been on this medication for about 8 months now. I started at a low dose 200mg a day and now I'm on 600 mg. 300mg in the morning and at night. I find that it makes me sleepy but what doesn't. I am not so sleepy that I cannot function just sleepy when I know I has a good nights sleep. Anyway, I am moody and my moods swing from very happy to super mad like many people with bipolar. This helps we control that. I does nothing for depression but it's not meant to. The side effects are very mild."

My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on carbamazepine for 1 week. My head is empty and, I don't feel like myself at all. Feeling nauseous and, the only time I feel 'normal' is when I eat. I have been doing more around the house but, it's like being on auto pilot. This is the first mood stabiliser I've been on so, hoping I get my brain back soon or, I will definitely stop taking it."

Earlybird2 February 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before."

Haileyp January 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed after I had my 2nd daughter (after a year of trying to treat what we thought was PPD which saw me declined faster and faster). Although, I've had a feeling something "wasn't quite right" since my late teens/early twenties. Once we figured out what we are actually dealing with, I went through several medications (including lithium). They had such severe side affects that they were cancelling out any good they could of possibly been doing for me.. that is until I found carbemezapeme. It took me about 6mo-1yr to really figure out the correct dose, but with the help of some great Dr's and therapist (and THAT really is the key, it can't just be about meds, good Dr's and the right meds go hand in hand) we figured it out."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing"

saburna (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I've been on tegretol about 2 weeks and at 1.4 weeks just went up to 600 mgs and dont like the side affects stopping it as of today. taking for bipolar"

cookietiger November 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have found this drug to balance me out I can actually cope with everyday life I also take other drugs my cocktail is right for me venaflaxine propanadol mertatazapine and carbamazapine work well at the moment ...... who knows how long it will last I find my body gets use to the drugs then plays me up ...... my mind goes all over the bloody place ...... once my sleep goes a miss so does everything else ..... has anyone out there got any tips about living with bipolar could do with some tips x"

Lumpycat Nicky (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Carbamazepine for 4 days but could stand it no longer. I felt very ill, had sinus pain, runny nose, headaches and feeling so ill I had to go back to bed every day. By day 4, I was feeling like I had 'flu and, after reading the advice leaflet, decided this medication is not for me. I do react badly to a lot of medication, so it is not surprising that this one also was a no go for me. I'm in the UK and am over 60, so my meds are free."

Highlow (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine"

Herbie goes to Monte carlo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "Bad side effects after several months!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried so many medications for my illnesses but nothing worked until I was put on carbamazepine, it worked wonders. It took a little while to get use to. I was really dizzy for awhile but once I adjusted to it i feel great. Best i ever tried"

frogirl1993 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "This was the best medication I have ever had. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I only trouble I have had was at one time the Doctor tried to up me to 2 night and 2 in the morning and it caused terrible vertigo like feeling. I couldn't even stand up. Overal I would say it's a great medication."

Emankcin May 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I do feel that this medication works, regular blood work to check levels in the blood are crucial. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 16 years and have been on this medication since the year 2000. It worked better back then, I do have an appointment with a psychiatrist to go over the mediaction as I do not feel that it is working as good as it used to. Perhaps my body has become immune to it."

Mo1968 April 25, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "This drug killed my thyroid. You should also be screened heavily for certain blood illnesses before taking and monitor your liver and kidneys. A VERY poisonous drug."

Mrosa41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I was depressed and in bed for 4 years until I was diagnosed with bi polar. I am now 2 months with Tegretol, out of bed and am enjoying life like never before. It has been a miracle for me."

sunny_surfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): "To be honest I am not a fan of anticonvulsants. They have the craziest side effects and everytime I've taken them I instantly feel like I consumed alcohol. I've taken Lyrica, Gabapentin, and now Tegretol XR. I stopped this medication at my own disclosure because I was terrified once I read that this medication is known for "drug-induced liver failure". Not to mention it interacts with almost every other drug I take. That is not something I want to risk and am very upset that my doc didn't disclose this to me. He didn't even run a blood test to check my liver enzyme level prior to starting treatment so thats a whole other conversation but the point is I do not like this drug and would advise everyone to avoid it if you can."

Lcowan7 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I have been using tegretol for 6 months , 200 mg a day two times. Before this I started with abylify and it did not help me. I feel much more normal than before and I don't feel like I am going up or down anymore. But I think one of the most important thing is also not using alcohol and sleeping 8 hours a day."

Ezgi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "it helped with the mania , but i was always drowsy and could not concentrate , also i gained weight...."

saba44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Sometimes i feel like a metallic flavor , I feel dizy and sleepy , but it's very helpful controlling my hypomaniac disorder Not too good controlling depression as well"

Luisabenjumea November 30, 2015

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "It kinda helped me in addition to my abilify, but since I have type 2 bipolar disorder, I just felt sleepy and knocked out all the time. Not the best of times."

anaisu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time."

Yankee Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): "Was effective for mood stabilization,took 400 mg 2x/day. Went off it because it caused water retention, elevated liver enzymes and mild neutropenia. Also carbamazepine interacts with lots of meds,making them ineffective (i.e. Seroquel) Depakote ER is better for me."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015