User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

Trigeminal Neuralgia 30 reviews 9 medications

6.8
Epilepsy 29 reviews 41 medications

6.5
Summary of Tegretol reviews 60 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Tegretol

For Epilepsy "Was only one this 3 weeks. Didn't help much and made me nasty. I would go from normal to telling people off. Even family. For no reason at all."

Dhaniboi (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with TN about a week ago. I tore a Cartilage in my right knee, which I thought was painful. Well, nothing compares to TN, rather have a daily torn cartilage than this terrible pain. Ended up in hospital being given Morphine, Diazepam, and a Diclophenac Suppository, which is not the most enjoyable method of administration. Doctor has prescribed Tegretol. This has provided some relief, in as much the frequency of the episodes has reduced, but not the severity, which has not been attenuated in any way. At least I can function better than last week. Though now I do feel a bit zombiefied, and as I am unemployed looking for work this does give me some apprehension how I am going to cope with pain, sedation, and interviews.I am a Brit"

Wiyaka Sapa (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR TITRATES THE DRUG AND DOES NOT START YOU ON A HIGH DOSE. The 1 grade should be for my Dr. Not the medication. I am a female about 105lbs. My Dr. started me on 800mg without titration for possible seizures. After 2 days I was so sick and dizzy and my head / ears were was buzzing like crazy. I had non stop vomiting, ringing in my ears and severe indescribable dizziness. I ended up going to the ER. I am sticking to lamictal and found a new Doctor."

Dawn789 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed a year ago. The tegratol helps with the pain massively, reducing it to more of and ache. My g.p has me on a step up and and step down routine so I'm not in them long term. It's working for me at the moment"

lockets March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before."

Haileyp January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing"

saburna (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on tegretol about 2 weeks and at 1.4 weeks just went up to 600 mgs and dont like the side affects stopping it as of today. taking for bipolar"

cookietiger November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I started taking Tegretol 500mg every night after dinner. Initial ten days were extremely tough....very sleepy and was sleeping over 12 hours a day. Slowly there was some improvement but still very lethargic, struggling to concentrate, do day to day activities. Going back to doc. for a reassessment. The pain is down almost 70% and has given me some relief and relaxed me a bit."

Gurinder August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine"

Herbie goes to Monte carlo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Bad side effects after several months!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "The XR seams better than the traditional form used in the 80s that resulted in sodium depletion. This form causes twitching, sporadic and rapidly occurring tremors that make sleeping difficult, increased urination frequency, some minor dizziness at first, and possibly elevated skin sensitivity to sunlight."

stex July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with atypical TN after lower orthognathic surgery 20 months ago. Now on 1000mg Gapapentin 3x a day plus prolonged release Carbamazapine 400mg at night. Did start 100mg Carbamazapine in the morning but had problems with vision and balance so decided against it. Drugs working ok. Wish there was a solution to my problem :-( Now just been told by my doc that my white blood count down possibly due to the Carbamazapine so may have to come off it."

BevMac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I started taking Tegretol for TN and it did greatly improve my ability to function. Pain was much duller during episodes and had stopped being totally debilitating. 6-7 weeks after use I began to be so lethargic I couldn't get out of bed and was relying so much more on my husband to see to our toddler son. It was very worrying. I then developed severely enlarged glands under my chin, lumps on my neck and started to feel generally unwell. I then had a full blood count done and it returned a very low white blood and abnormal looking cells also. Enlarged spleen also occurred. Now being referred to haematology and had to be taken off Tegretol as they believe I am taking quite a severe reaction to it."

AnnieMoooo June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the best medication I have ever had. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I only trouble I have had was at one time the Doctor tried to up me to 2 night and 2 in the morning and it caused terrible vertigo like feeling. I couldn't even stand up. Overal I would say it's a great medication."

Emankcin May 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I've been on Tegretol for 4 days. It has taken me from excruciating pain to dull soreness. It's a wonder drug. I'm sleepy but almost pain free. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed after only six weeks. I'm praying it lasts!"

Monistar (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "First time when I took Tegretol, it worked immediately and the pain went away. The pain comes and go every year and the most importantly the pain was not bad last 4 years that I did not even take Tegretol. This time the pain is unbearable so I'm on Tegretol. Even with the medication still feel the shock once in awhile. Definately feels better with Tegretol. The side effects, for me, sleepiness, weight gain, excitement with no reason."

TN community April 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I also suffer from bipolar 1 disorder and chronic pain. The drug so far has made me eerily calm and it's almost like I'm high all the time. So far so good... It has calmed my mania down since I am rapid cycling. Also my short term memory hard been affected. I am a Veteran as well."

Gunz (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug killed my thyroid. You should also be screened heavily for certain blood illnesses before taking and monitor your liver and kidneys. A VERY poisonous drug."

Mrosa41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Excruciating pain in ear since June .Been on tegretol since. From 600mg to 1200 Then surgery. Still having pain. Still on 900mg"

JJJOO April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with TN (glad to learn about it and find out I'm not dying of a brain tumor or something) - the pain is horrific. I've been on the generic form of Tegretol (Carbamazepine) 100 mg 3x per day for 3 weeks. I still have episodes of pain a couple times a day, but at least I can walk around, talk and eat without the excruciating pain I had been experiencing. Only downside is I feel like a zombie - tired, and "out of it" - but like others have said - I'd take that any day over the near constant pain I was having."

Rainy049 April 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was depressed and in bed for 4 years until I was diagnosed with bi polar. I am now 2 months with Tegretol, out of bed and am enjoying life like never before. It has been a miracle for me."

sunny_surfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been using tegretol for 6 months , 200 mg a day two times. Before this I started with abylify and it did not help me. I feel much more normal than before and I don't feel like I am going up or down anymore. But I think one of the most important thing is also not using alcohol and sleeping 8 hours a day."

Ezgi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "it helped with the mania , but i was always drowsy and could not concentrate , also i gained weight...."

saba44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "Previously on generic with onset symptoms. Now on Name brand and still transitioning from Aptiom which was not effective in controlling symptoms. Hoping name brand works."

d works (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "800 mg of tegretol and still in pain"

Lexy93 November 9, 2015