User Reviews for Tegretol

Tegretol has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 72 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of those users who reviewed Tegretol reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Schizoaffective Disorder   9.0
Trigeminal Neuralgia   6.8
Epilepsy   6.6
Summary of Tegretol reviews 6.7 72 reviews

Reviews for Tegretol

T · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “Just out of hospital blew up like a balloon had very bad reaction. In hospital for 3 days was on tabs for 4 weeks so am off them now. No good for me as I was swelled up like a beach ball on them. A neurologist told me to go on them for 8 weeks gees after 4 weeks ended up in hospital taking 3 to 5 a day.”

Scott · Taken for 10 years or more October 11, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I was on Tegretol from the mid late 80’s till 2016. It helped in the beginning. But as I got older, add on drugs were needed. Then in 2014, I could not stop eating. I was always hungry, yet loosing weight. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. And I was put on medication for that. In 2016, my doc took me off tegretol and replaced it with lamictal. Once off the tegretol, my thyroid started to function normally. And medication for my thyroid was no longer needed. It’s not a bad drug. But your body changes over time. Another negative about the drug was how frequently I had to urinate. I would have to go at least 15 if not more times a day. Towards its discontinuation, I was on 1200mg of it daily.”

Lovies · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2019

“Hi I been drinking Tegertol, since I was very young. It assist me for my manic episodes, to be satisfied and excited. Before I had a hard time, at school problems of my academic performance was very poor Still I was in a treatment with Epilim but it wasn't working instead it made me even worse. Causing me to have depression mood and manic episodes at the same time . Been very tearful and loneliness also sad at high school those previous years 2014-2016 Now that I am on Tegretol is the best medication that is suitable for me. Now I am stable in condition. Balance of my manic episodes and depressed.”

Mnyc · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

For Epilepsy: “Tegretolol is the only medicine that stops my tonic clonic seizures. I've been on it over a year, taking 1,000 mgs a day. The first month I had memory problems and drowsiness but that went away fast. The biggest side effect I had that never went away is severe depression caused by it. My depression is gone thanks to Lexapro 20 mg a day. I highly recommend Tegretol for tonic clonics seizures due to Epilepsy.”

Mighty Duck · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 19, 2019

“At first it made me feel better but now after six months is has taken my will live away. It's ruined my vocabulary and my wrecked my short term memory. Not Suitable for Bi polar 1”

LF · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “After 5 long years of incorrect diagnosis, unnecessary dental and ear surgeries, I was finally diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) about 12 months ago and put on 3 x 200mg of Tegretol daily. I have had horrific side effects with serious changes to my menstrual cycle (8 week non stop bleeding) but it is still better than living with the TN episodes that I would have almost daily. I have recently been having milder episodes and may have to try something else.”

Spacey · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2019

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I think Tegretol (Carbamazepine) is a wonder drug for trigeminal neuralgia (TN or TGN) pain. That being said, the side effects are horrible. I was doing well on it-- but suddenly, the spaciness has returned with memory loss, intense lassitude, drowiness, weight gain, constipation; I am going to have to reduce dose. Not sure whether to notify doctor(s) first, or not (as I plan to do it, anyway! as I simply cannot function.) I guess I will leave them a message with office staff; it's impossible to get a doctor to call back. I plan to reduce it by 100 mg slowly the same way I started which was to slowly increase the dose. However, I will only reduce it by 100 mg., until I can see doctor. Wish me luck!”

Ash · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2019

For Epilepsy: “I'm 18. I had random contractions and twists in my arm since when I was 10. It lasted for only about 0.005 secs. And then gradually increase. Now I have attacks that last for hours (the longest one lasted 9 hrs). I used to consult ortho docs since I did not not know what it was. They kept telling me I had muscle cramps. Because I do martial arts I believed it. But at last I consulted a nuero when once I had a bad attack and the ortho doc was on leave. He diagnosed me with exercise induced paroxysmal dystonia. He prescribed tegretol and I started on a low dose. It didn't seem to help me. I gradually increased its dose and now I don't get those attacks! I have no family history of disorders but one cousin with epilepsy.”

TrigeminalOrNot · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I've been living with unbearable pain for 3 years. My official diagnosis is trigeminal neuralgia, although I'm still not sure the diagnosis is correct. Like many others, I've had endless dental procedures to no avail. They tried to put me on Tegretol and other anticonvulsants, but I can't tolerate it. The pain went away like magic from the first pill but the side effects were unbearable. It's as if someone hands you a life jacket and then it blows up in your face. I get a horrific state of agitation that lasts for many hours. I have to move, hit, kick, to relieve this madness (akathisia). My question: can I have relief from pain with Tegretol if the pain is caused by something ELSE (such as a dental implant, in my case)? Or is the diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia definitive if the pain goes away? Thank you.”

CrossWalker · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 3, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “Been taking 3x day for several years. Suffered on and off for decades from head/facial pain with no diagnosis. Finally went to good neurologist. Tried gabapentin. Didn't work at all. (Neither does Dilaudid) This does make me groggy still and I have nausea, brain-drain and more. I would take any side effect for relief from that horrific pain. I've had it so bad, I literally couldn't breathe in. The break through pain I now gets is mainly an ache in my ear and sometimes teeth. The side effects also may be from the 15 other meds I take for various problems.”

Felicia3127 January 25, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “While I've taken tegretol in the past with no issues, this time is different. First time around no side effects. This time - possibly due to other medication - I've had horrible side effects. Headaches every day, dizziness, nausea to the point of not even enjoying a glass of water. Lightheadedness, unsteady on your feet -going for a walk with my friend the other day I MUST have looked like a drunk. TBH -this time around I'd rather have the nerve pain.”

SarahD-uk November 10, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I have been on tegretol for seven years now,I still have general pain with the occasional flair up of unbearable pain that I had before taking this medication. I am also on a high dose of folic acid as I became very anemic, this caused tiredness. It was just by chance I was diagnosed with TN after being in extreme pain for over 6 months, many doctors and tests one specialist just said it could be this, let's try this drug it may not work but if it does we are on the right track. To be honest with you if she said I needed to cut off a limb to ease the pain at that point I would have asked for the knife. I was miserable the pain was unbearable and so was I. I do feel it is not working as well after all these years may be due for review.”

Momi042 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2017

For Epilepsy: “loose of epilepsy control”

Binz · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “I became very ill shortly after starting the medication. Unbearable itching as well as yellow jaundice dark urine as well as feeling very unwell”

Dhaniboi · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2017

For Epilepsy: “Was only one this 3 weeks. Didn't help much and made me nasty. I would go from normal to telling people off. Even family. For no reason at all.”

Wiyaka Sapa · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “Diagnosed with TN about a week ago. I tore a Cartilage in my right knee, which I thought was painful. Well, nothing compares to TN, rather have a daily torn cartilage than this terrible pain. Ended up in hospital being given Morphine, Diazepam, and a Diclophenac Suppository, which is not the most enjoyable method of administration. Doctor has prescribed Tegretol. This has provided some relief, in as much the frequency of the episodes has reduced, but not the severity, which has not been attenuated in any way. At least I can function better than last week. Though now I do feel a bit zombiefied, and as I am unemployed looking for work this does give me some apprehension how I am going to cope with pain, sedation, and interviews.I am a Brit”

Dawn789 · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2017

For Epilepsy: “MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR TITRATES THE DRUG AND DOES NOT START YOU ON A HIGH DOSE. The 1 grade should be for my Dr. Not the medication. I am a female about 105lbs. My Dr. started me on 800mg without titration for possible seizures. After 2 days I was so sick and dizzy and my head / ears were was buzzing like crazy. I had non stop vomiting, ringing in my ears and severe indescribable dizziness. I ended up going to the ER. I am sticking to lamictal and found a new Doctor.”

lockets March 5, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “Diagnosed a year ago. The tegratol helps with the pain massively, reducing it to more of and ache. My g.p has me on a step up and and step down routine so I'm not in them long term. It's working for me at the moment”

Haileyp January 12, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before.”

saburna · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing”

cookietiger November 13, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've been on tegretol about 2 weeks and at 1.4 weeks just went up to 600 mgs and dont like the side affects stopping it as of today. taking for bipolar”

Gurinder August 26, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I started taking Tegretol 500mg every night after dinner. Initial ten days were extremely tough....very sleepy and was sleeping over 12 hours a day. Slowly there was some improvement but still very lethargic, struggling to concentrate, do day to day activities. Going back to doc. for a reassessment. The pain is down almost 70% and has given me some relief and relaxed me a bit.”

Herbie goes to Monte carlo · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine”

PostmodenistCupie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “Bad side effects after several months!!”

stex July 17, 2016

For Epilepsy: “The XR seams better than the traditional form used in the 80s that resulted in sodium depletion. This form causes twitching, sporadic and rapidly occurring tremors that make sleeping difficult, increased urination frequency, some minor dizziness at first, and possibly elevated skin sensitivity to sunlight.”