User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Epilepsy 27 reviews 39 medications

6.8
Summary of Tegretol reviews 91 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Tegretol

For Bipolar Disorder "I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine"

Herbie goes to Monte carlo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Bad side effects after several months!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Epilepsy "The XR seams better than the traditional form used in the 80s that resulted in sodium depletion. This form causes twitching, sporadic and rapidly occurring tremors that make sleeping difficult, increased urination frequency, some minor dizziness at first, and possibly elevated skin sensitivity to sunlight."

stex July 17, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with atypical TN after lower orthognathic surgery 20 months ago. Now on 1000mg Gapapentin 3x a day plus prolonged release Carbamazapine 400mg at night. Did start 100mg Carbamazapine in the morning but had problems with vision and balance so decided against it. Drugs working ok. Wish there was a solution to my problem :-( Now just been told by my doc that my white blood count down possibly due to the Carbamazapine so may have to come off it."

BevMac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I started taking Tegretol for TN and it did greatly improve my ability to function. Pain was much duller during episodes and had stopped being totally debilitating. 6-7 weeks after use I began to be so lethargic I couldn't get out of bed and was relying so much more on my husband to see to our toddler son. It was very worrying. I then developed severely enlarged glands under my chin, lumps on my neck and started to feel generally unwell. I then had a full blood count done and it returned a very low white blood and abnormal looking cells also. Enlarged spleen also occurred. Now being referred to haematology and had to be taken off Tegretol as they believe I am taking quite a severe reaction to it."

AnnieMoooo June 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the best medication I have ever had. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I only trouble I have had was at one time the Doctor tried to up me to 2 night and 2 in the morning and it caused terrible vertigo like feeling. I couldn't even stand up. Overal I would say it's a great medication."

Emankcin May 24, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I've been on Tegretol for 4 days. It has taken me from excruciating pain to dull soreness. It's a wonder drug. I'm sleepy but almost pain free. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed after only six weeks. I'm praying it lasts!"

Monistar (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "First time when I took Tegretol, it worked immediately and the pain went away. The pain comes and go every year and the most importantly the pain was not bad last 4 years that I did not even take Tegretol. This time the pain is unbearable so I'm on Tegretol. Even with the medication still feel the shock once in awhile. Definately feels better with Tegretol. The side effects, for me, sleepiness, weight gain, excitement with no reason."

TN community April 23, 2016

For Epilepsy "I also suffer from bipolar 1 disorder and chronic pain. The drug so far has made me eerily calm and it's almost like I'm high all the time. So far so good... It has calmed my mania down since I am rapid cycling. Also my short term memory hard been affected. I am a Veteran as well."

Gunz (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug killed my thyroid. You should also be screened heavily for certain blood illnesses before taking and monitor your liver and kidneys. A VERY poisonous drug."

Mrosa41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Excruciating pain in ear since June .Been on tegretol since. From 600mg to 1200 Then surgery. Still having pain. Still on 900mg"

JJJOO April 7, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with TN (glad to learn about it and find out I'm not dying of a brain tumor or something) - the pain is horrific. I've been on the generic form of Tegretol (Carbamazepine) 100 mg 3x per day for 3 weeks. I still have episodes of pain a couple times a day, but at least I can walk around, talk and eat without the excruciating pain I had been experiencing. Only downside is I feel like a zombie - tired, and "out of it" - but like others have said - I'd take that any day over the near constant pain I was having."

Rainy049 April 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was depressed and in bed for 4 years until I was diagnosed with bi polar. I am now 2 months with Tegretol, out of bed and am enjoying life like never before. It has been a miracle for me."

sunny_surfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been using tegretol for 6 months , 200 mg a day two times. Before this I started with abylify and it did not help me. I feel much more normal than before and I don't feel like I am going up or down anymore. But I think one of the most important thing is also not using alcohol and sleeping 8 hours a day."

Ezgi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "it helped with the mania , but i was always drowsy and could not concentrate , also i gained weight...."

saba44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Epilepsy "Previously on generic with onset symptoms. Now on Name brand and still transitioning from Aptiom which was not effective in controlling symptoms. Hoping name brand works."

d works (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "800 mg of tegretol and still in pain"

Lexy93 November 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Diagnosed with TN two weeks ago. Within first 24 hours of taking Tegretol, I felt amazing. No pain, clear head etc. A week and a half after starting the medication, I had a horrific TN episode for twenty hours. The pain was so bad it woke me from sleeping. I'm not sure whether to go back to Dr's for an increase or just put it down to allowing the meds to do its thing. Can only wait and see."

Jen24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It kinda helped me in addition to my abilify, but since I have type 2 bipolar disorder, I just felt sleepy and knocked out all the time. Not the best of times."

anaisu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time."

Yankee Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I have been on Tegretol for about 7 years which has been good with manageable attacks I between, it took 2 years before I was diagnosed in which time I had the fillings on the right side of my face replaced 3 times looking for the cause! I have now been in an attack for the last 3 an half weeks and at last have some relief , am now having double my dose 800mgs but still have a slight electric shock feeling and my top and bottom jaw ache slightly, I am getting a referral at a London hospital to check my teeth , just to make sure they are ok, but it is just like when I was first diagnosed. Wind or air con are worst for me. This is an awful illness, and do hope you to will get the help that you need,"

Gracie girl August 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

For Epilepsy "I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes."

DennisF March 25, 2015