User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Tegretol Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Reviews for Tegretol to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

"I started taking Tegretol 500mg every night after dinner. Initial ten days were extremely tough....very sleepy and was sleeping over 12 hours a day. Slowly there was some improvement but still very lethargic, struggling to concentrate, do day to day activities. Going back to doc. for a reassessment. The pain is down almost 70% and has given me some relief and relaxed me a bit."

Gurinder August 26, 2016

"Diagnosed with atypical TN after lower orthognathic surgery 20 months ago. Now on 1000mg Gapapentin 3x a day plus prolonged release Carbamazapine 400mg at night. Did start 100mg Carbamazapine in the morning but had problems with vision and balance so decided against it. Drugs working ok. Wish there was a solution to my problem :-( Now just been told by my doc that my white blood count down possibly due to the Carbamazapine so may have to come off it."

BevMac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

"I started taking Tegretol for TN and it did greatly improve my ability to function. Pain was much duller during episodes and had stopped being totally debilitating. 6-7 weeks after use I began to be so lethargic I couldn't get out of bed and was relying so much more on my husband to see to our toddler son. It was very worrying. I then developed severely enlarged glands under my chin, lumps on my neck and started to feel generally unwell. I then had a full blood count done and it returned a very low white blood and abnormal looking cells also. Enlarged spleen also occurred. Now being referred to haematology and had to be taken off Tegretol as they believe I am taking quite a severe reaction to it."

AnnieMoooo June 20, 2016

"I've been on Tegretol for 4 days. It has taken me from excruciating pain to dull soreness. It's a wonder drug. I'm sleepy but almost pain free. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed after only six weeks. I'm praying it lasts!"

Monistar (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"First time when I took Tegretol, it worked immediately and the pain went away. The pain comes and go every year and the most importantly the pain was not bad last 4 years that I did not even take Tegretol. This time the pain is unbearable so I'm on Tegretol. Even with the medication still feel the shock once in awhile. Definately feels better with Tegretol. The side effects, for me, sleepiness, weight gain, excitement with no reason."

TN community April 23, 2016

"Excruciating pain in ear since June .Been on tegretol since. From 600mg to 1200 Then surgery. Still having pain. Still on 900mg"

JJJOO April 7, 2016

"Diagnosed with TN (glad to learn about it and find out I'm not dying of a brain tumor or something) - the pain is horrific. I've been on the generic form of Tegretol (Carbamazepine) 100 mg 3x per day for 3 weeks. I still have episodes of pain a couple times a day, but at least I can walk around, talk and eat without the excruciating pain I had been experiencing. Only downside is I feel like a zombie - tired, and "out of it" - but like others have said - I'd take that any day over the near constant pain I was having."

Rainy049 April 6, 2016

"800 mg of tegretol and still in pain"

Lexy93 November 9, 2015

"Diagnosed with TN two weeks ago. Within first 24 hours of taking Tegretol, I felt amazing. No pain, clear head etc. A week and a half after starting the medication, I had a horrific TN episode for twenty hours. The pain was so bad it woke me from sleeping. I'm not sure whether to go back to Dr's for an increase or just put it down to allowing the meds to do its thing. Can only wait and see."

Jen24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

"I have been on Tegretol for about 7 years which has been good with manageable attacks I between, it took 2 years before I was diagnosed in which time I had the fillings on the right side of my face replaced 3 times looking for the cause! I have now been in an attack for the last 3 an half weeks and at last have some relief , am now having double my dose 800mgs but still have a slight electric shock feeling and my top and bottom jaw ache slightly, I am getting a referral at a London hospital to check my teeth , just to make sure they are ok, but it is just like when I was first diagnosed. Wind or air con are worst for me. This is an awful illness, and do hope you to will get the help that you need,"

Gracie girl August 15, 2015

"Worked for awhile okay. After 2 1/2 months I developed a reaction to it called "Stevens-Johnson Syndrome" which is a potentially deadly skin rash."

hlt00069 March 14, 2015

"Worked great on the pain. But my AST levels went through the roof. I am now unable to take them. Awaiting MVD surgery that can't come soon enough. Please ensure your doctor gives you regular blood tests. Mine did not hence my liver problems."

az200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

"When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was dying. I take this (200 mg) - 3 times a day with another medicine. I have been pain free for 7 months. I stay drowsy and stagger at times but I can deal with that as long as the medicines continue to help me."

PJDW October 15, 2014

"I have spent 17 years with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. This medicine gave me 4 years pain free. It took a long time to work, seems like almost a year, but worked great for a time. Guess now it's on to something else."

Thebigempire (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2014

"Stoped the pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Side effects like unsteadyness, fingers twitching, sore joints, seeing aura's, reading difficulties, speaking difficulties."

ANGELSFLYWITHME June 12, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been put on this medication for pain. After 6 mouth operations - I was left with terrible upper gum and palate pain. I have only been on it for 5 days - it is not working. The pain is severe and constant. I am praying - as I take it longer - it will take the pain away."

Lindy1628 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2013

"I was initially put on Tegretol only to have it stop working after about 3 weeks. Dr. added Neurontin and eventually had surgery to remove the blood vessel and wrap the nerve. Best of luck to anyone with this terrible condition."

Connie 1963 March 27, 2013

"This is the only medication that has helped me! It's great!"

Katie2umnc March 15, 2013

"My problem started with severe uvetis/iritis (inflammation of the iris) for which I was under a eye specialist care. This went on for almost 3 yrs before the Dr was able to get it under control. I lost a lot of vision the the left eye (it was in both eyes). Eventually I became aware that I had tested positive for Lyme disease in 2005 but was never treated for it. I continued to have severe pain around the left eye that was incapacitating. I finally found a Lyme Dr. after much pain, agony, & suffering. I was told I had trigemial neuropathy in my left eye. I was given carbamazepine 100mg x2 per day. I have only been taking it prn but after reading other peoples experience I believe I need to take it every day to get the full effect . Thank Yo"

Jan4acure (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2013

"I was put on Tegretol 2 weeks ago, and boy or boy the build up felt like forever but now that it is at 800mgs, I am feeling so much better. I believe I will be going up yet again this week another 200mg and then again if need be, before Doctor tapers me down where it is maintainable. I am still having just a bit of breakthrough pain a few times a day, which is nothing compared to where I was 2 weeks ago. I would gladly take the tired, stumbles and slurs over where I had been. This medicine works, and works well! I pray it doesn't stop working for me, ever!"

rjinpain May 31, 2011

"I've been using CARBAMAZEPINE 200mg twice a day for about two years. It does a good job in limiting the amount of pain I have with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I found it best to take the medication regularly. If I skip days when I am not having problems the pain will be right back and it will take several days to get it back under control. I've tried GABAPENTIN 300mg and OXCARBAZEPINE 150mg but they did not help. The CARBAMAZEPINE makes me tired and sleepy but that is a lot better than the pain."

ggrantland May 14, 2011

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had TN for about 10 years, but was switched from Trileptal to carbamazepine, 100 mg 3x/day, about a month ago. The first week I felt almost pain-free, but since have been in constant pain. It does not seem to work for me at all now!"

Anonymous January 26, 2011

"Made me exhausted everyday (wanted to sleep 24-7) and had changes to menstrual cycle."

Anonymous July 11, 2010

"I was having severe attacks several times a day and within two days on tegretol they stopped. I still get very minor twinges at times from trigger areas. It has been two weeks plus now and I can still recall beginning to brush my teeth and ending up on the floor, so I would be happy if I retain this level of control forever."

AB 103 December 8, 2009

"I have trigeminal neuralgia and have been suffering from it for quite some time. I was put on 300 mgs twice a day and it didn't help at all and the attacks were just getting more severe and frequent, so the neurologist upped it to 900mgs a day. Still no relief! I have been on two other kinds and pretty much have to rely on pain medication which doesn't even relieve all the pain."

Anonymous September 20, 2009