User Reviews for Carbamazepine to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Tegretol, Carbatrol, Tegretol XR, Epitol, Equetro

Carbamazepine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 194 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Epitol (carbamazepine): “My experience was ok in the beginning till I stopped taking them then started taking them again I felt horrible my mind was all over the place my anxiety was kicked up a notch I thought I was going crazy but my doctor said it will subside soon but I couldn't handle the 200mg twice a day so I cut one in half for now till my body gets used to them again. I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this.”

Mnyc · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Tegretolol is the only medicine that stops my tonic clonic seizures. I've been on it over a year, taking 1,000 mgs a day. The first month I had memory problems and drowsiness but that went away fast. The biggest side effect I had that never went away is severe depression caused by it. My depression is gone thanks to Lexapro 20 mg a day. I highly recommend Tegretol for tonic clonics seizures due to Epilepsy.”

Noname · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

“This stuff was horrible for me, did not stop sleeping siezures and side effects gave me such a bad attitude, I was very grouchy but was numb to most feelings for other issues. I didn't want to do anything, ruined my appetite and my relationship. 200 mg twice a day”

John · Taken for 10 years or more May 8, 2019

“I would advise if you are taking tegretol on a large dose, say 600mg or 800mg twice daily. Ask for a thyroid serum blood test and testosterone levels as it will lower testosterone levels and damage the thyroid.”

Ash · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2019

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I'm 18. I had random contractions and twists in my arm since when I was 10. It lasted for only about 0.005 secs. And then gradually increase. Now I have attacks that last for hours (the longest one lasted 9 hrs). I used to consult ortho docs since I did not not know what it was. They kept telling me I had muscle cramps. Because I do martial arts I believed it. But at last I consulted a nuero when once I had a bad attack and the ortho doc was on leave. He diagnosed me with exercise induced paroxysmal dystonia. He prescribed tegretol and I started on a low dose. It didn't seem to help me. I gradually increased its dose and now I don't get those attacks! I have no family history of disorders but one cousin with epilepsy.”

Lynn · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2018

“Hospitalized 16 days for Keppra toxicity & lack of follow up by my Dr. Even though I took as prescribed. I quickly dropped from 130lb to 106 lbs as I was unable to eat/drink severe nausea terrible pain, right side unable to speak delirious forgetful seizures 1st time in decades unable to care for my husband/self Had to place my husband in a care facility which was the saddest thing! Lost my drivers license for 6 months due to a seizures so then couldn't visit my husband/get food. Had Walker even though I am young! I blame much of this on the Dr who did not listen to me as I described my extreme changes via phone caused by Keppra. I gave up on pdoc and got someone to take me to another hospital out of town where they determined I had keppra toxicity. Three Dr's stated it is a miracle I am alive! A toxicity specialist said it would take me a year to recuperate I was so ill, it did. I thank God for giving me the strength to get through that Nightmare.”

Momi042 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “loose of epilepsy control”

Bellamama October 15, 2017

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): “I an 27 years old and I started taking tegretol 6 years ago. I have 2 healthy kids and I have no more seizures. I used to have light ones but I didn't know what is happening for 2 or 3 seconds!! Since I started using this medicine I'm feeling better. Half a pill in the morning and a full pill at night and it's extremely a perfect choice by the neurologist!”

Dhaniboi · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Was only one this 3 weeks. Didn't help much and made me nasty. I would go from normal to telling people off. Even family. For no reason at all.”

Dawn789 · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2017

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR TITRATES THE DRUG AND DOES NOT START YOU ON A HIGH DOSE. The 1 grade should be for my Dr. Not the medication. I am a female about 105lbs. My Dr. started me on 800mg without titration for possible seizures. After 2 days I was so sick and dizzy and my head / ears were was buzzing like crazy. I had non stop vomiting, ringing in my ears and severe indescribable dizziness. I ended up going to the ER. I am sticking to lamictal and found a new Doctor.”

Mr. X · Taken for 10 years or more August 20, 2016

“I have been on cbz for 35 yrs. 20 yr 600mg / 10yr 400 mg / 5yrs 200mg Since then no grand-mal . However absences remain on 600mg level. So I (slowly) deminished the dose two times and the absences became fewer ( first 10/yr. now 2-3/yr) . Cbz worked well in preventing GM seizures but absolutely not in case of absence seizures. Five years ago I had one seizure because I thought I could stop taking cbz. After two days it went wrong and I returned to 2x 100mg. So don't do this. It is bound to end in a G-M!!!!”

Angel in Dallas · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2016

“Temporal lobe w/ Mesial temporal sclerosis. Using 8 weeks. Sometimes headaches or dizzy, frequent minor muscle tremors and twitching, shortened menstrual cycle, sensitive mood. Always tired and not very productive, sleep more. Went from monthly 2-5 day blackout seizure binge with 2-5 day recovery, so far only 1 minor convulsion while conscious with mostly full recovery by morning. Major improvement.”

stex July 17, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “The XR seams better than the traditional form used in the 80s that resulted in sodium depletion. This form causes twitching, sporadic and rapidly occurring tremors that make sleeping difficult, increased urination frequency, some minor dizziness at first, and possibly elevated skin sensitivity to sunlight.”

ATLGA2016 · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2016

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): “The neurologist that I go to see for my epilepsy seizures he wanted to prescribe me a new medication. He then asked me the patient would I mind taking a new medication "Tegretol", I asked him what he thought I and he claimed he did not know. The doctor prescribed me the Tegretol medication, I had been taken it for less than two months and was diagnosed with an Allergic reaction, Swollen Throat, Facial edema and itchy skin.”

Gunz · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I also suffer from bipolar 1 disorder and chronic pain. The drug so far has made me eerily calm and it's almost like I'm high all the time. So far so good... It has calmed my mania down since I am rapid cycling. Also my short term memory hard been affected. I am a Veteran as well.”

gingerseizes · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 10, 2016

“As I have been on this medication for quite some time for my non-epileptic tonic clonic seizures, I have seen a general increase in quality of life with a couple caveats. One: I have short term memory problems as per one of the side effects, and two: I basically drink nothing but caffeinated drinks in order to prevent !myself from sleeping all day, like for instance, I slept 11 hours last night (I know) but I'm only 10 hours into my day and I've already passed out twice and am still tired.”

d works · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Previously on generic with onset symptoms. Now on Name brand and still transitioning from Aptiom which was not effective in controlling symptoms. Hoping name brand works.”

midroad September 23, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine): “A pharmacy replace Carbamzapine with Epitol it did NOT control my seizures, I was fearful of going out for my seizures were not controlled. I got my Carbamzapine and back on it my seizures are controlled totally. It is an ineffective drug.”

Ms. C.Hill · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine): “I have only taken Epitol for 3 days and thus far my experience hasn't been totally negative. Yes there have been side effects, including, dizziness, confusion...etc. However I am told these things will subside over time. What I do know is I am no longer afraid to live, to leave my house in fear of having a seizure that leads to a deadly outcome. I am willing to fight, I won't stop living and I think Epitol can help me greatly in that way.”

Suzannem89 April 7, 2015

“Been on Carbamazepine for 2 years now, worked up to 800mg a day. I take it with lamotrogine. Started experiencing seizures and was hospitalised and sedated because of them. I still have one a week so not controlled but gettin there with finding the right mix of meds! My side effects were tiredness and everytime I increased was major dizziness and sickness that lasted for hours after I took the pill.”

DennisF March 25, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes.”

Gloyra · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 21, 2015

Carbatrol (carbamazepine): “No help at all did not work”

applesauce7 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 6, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Oh my. I was put on carbamazepine for possible epilepsy and it didn't seem to do anything - but the doctors said to just keep trying. However, it continued to worsen, making my focus dip considerably, and causing my hearing to change! (I'm a musician, I could tell - it dropped a semitone down.) Was very annoying.”

Cheryl green · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Been on Tegretol 200mg twice a day for partial seizures. It's wonderful, it's really helped. I'm down from 10 seizures a day to 8. Have tried everything else hopefully getting there.”

Twistyfil August 13, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Began taking Tegretol in 1986 along with Epilim, had the op in 1991 and have remained on Tegretol since. Somethings I have noticed over the years although I don't have any medical evidence to back this up only self observation are. Massive increase in body hair. Not on the head but over the rest of the body. Most of my nails split down the centre of the nail. As for controlling my epilepsy can not say they really did, prior to my operation, at first all was hokey dorey, then the body seemed to get used the medication and as a result the dose increased. Today 24 years after the operation I remain on 1200mg a day. Seizure free, thanks to the opp, although i do remain on the tablets.”

Learn more about Epilepsy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)