User Reviews for Carbamazepine to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

Also known as: Tegretol, Tegretol XR, Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro

Carbamazepine has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy. 60% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Carbamazepine Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Gimino · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2012

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “Regarding my peripheral neuropathy: Had reached max daily allowable level of Neurontin and was put on Tegretol, 200mg, 4 x daily. Brought it down to one tab daily and have not looked back. Never any side effects. Condition greatly improved! Cannot remember my last "attack".”

Anonymous December 2, 2011

Tegretol (carbamazepine): “It took approximately 3 months for the Tegretol to have any effect. When it did it was almost overnight. Also found that taking Xanax with it helps tremendously (with Doctor approval of course). I take up to 3 mg Xanax with 3 times daily and 200 mg Tegratol 2 times daily. It really works. The burning has almost ceased.”

Anonymousnb September 7, 2015

“A neurologist prescribed carbamazepine for my wife to treat persistent pain in the area of her surgery (brain tumor). She was on this drug for two months and it did not have any affect on her pain. It did almost kill her so BE VERY CAREFUL if you take this drug and have side effects such as low energy, drop in blood pressure, dizzy spells, etc. This can be a dangerous drug - in our case it depleted sodium levels and my wife almost went into a coma. It is her third day in the hospital after having to call 911 when she collapsed - she is slowly recovering.”

Patrizian · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2018

“This medicine helped tremendously with neurological pain from multi-level spinal cord compression. This was the only nerve pain medication which helped me to some degree by lowering the severity of the nerve pain from 10 ER level to about a 6 level I-Can-Get-Through-This pain. Unfortunately, I could only stay on it for a couple of months because it had very bad interactions with amlodipine BP med, causing increased severe side effects and loss of vision.”

Schmiliz February 29, 2016

“I had shingles 10 years ago in my mouth and it developed into Trigiminal Neuropathy on th eleft side of my head. ! year ago, I started with a terrible burning,electrical shok like feeling on my left foot. My toes burn terrible, My right foot feels as if it is wrapped in Plastic wrap all of the time up to my calf. My left foot feel s the same but with my toes burning. I have been taking Cymbalta,60 mgs per da(20 mgs 3 times a day) I have also been on Tegretol (800mgs per day) for 2 years. I finally had very little pain in my feet so I dropped from the 800 mgs a day of Tegretol to 600 mgs last Monday. I thought I was taking the Tegretol for my mouth burning constantly from the Trigiminal Neuralgia and Migraines and thought I'd give it a try to drop down to the 600 mgs to see if it made any difference. Since last MOnday, my right toes are burning constantly again, and I've had migraines caused from the Trigiminal Neuralgia. I am DEFINITELY CONVINCED Tegretol along with Cymbalta have been my saving grace from pain. The two, together are almost stopping my pain completely in my head AND MY FEET. It's amazing the difference and only since last MOnday. If you can take Tegretol AND Cymbalta together I suggest doing it. Both are great medicines.”

Bereshit · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2020

“I have been diagnosed with Neuropathy due to diabetes. Doctor prescribe me 20 mg of Cymbalta which it work for a period of maybe 2 years but recently I noticed that burning and anxiety in my feet is returning back she increase my dose to 60 mg and this is my 3rd week and apparently is helping but a friend told me about carbamazepine to treat my neuropathy issue but after reading the side effects I am not sure if I should change the medication just to try.”

Kellie Martin · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2014

“So far Tegretol has helped my nerve pain in my feet significantly. No side effects.”

Anonymous September 6, 2010

Epitol (carbamazepine): “Makes me very sleepy and dizzy. Takes a long time for the side effects to wear off. The pain has been reduced to a degree.”

jimelectric September 6, 2010

Epitol (carbamazepine): “Makes me very sleepy and dizzy. It takes a long time for the effects to wear off. It does help with the pain. It does not get rid of the pain entirely but it tones it down.”

realdeal54 July 18, 2017

“made me extremely sleepy, I would wake up in strange places i.e. kitchen floor with no knowledge of how I got there. Most importantly it didn't help with nerve pain in my feet at all.”