User Reviews for Lithium

Borderline Personality Disorder
4.5

Summary of Lithium reviews 7.5 298 reviews

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed type 2 bipolar and PTSD a few years ago, I'd tried four alternative medications before I found Lithium. I've found it to have by far the least side effects, although like all other mood stabilisers and antipsychotics I've tried it does pull all moods into the middle of the spectrum and flatten things out. Lithium saved my life when I first began it, but I find it easy to feel hazy and restless nowadays. Still, highly recommend it! Feeling next to nothing is better than feeling suicidal."

Liv (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm not really sure about this. Sure it's good not to be manic, but it lengthens my depressive cycles, i.e. there is no up(mania), there's a brief period of stability that goes away almost immediately, and LONG depressive cycles to the point where I would rather be untreated. Mania may not be ideal but it's better than the long depressive phase A bleak life is what Lithium offers me personally."

bigsadguy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "My diagnosis is Bipolar I with PTSD. I have a tendency toward mixed episodes and psychotic features. I found relief with lithium when nothing else worked. Other drugs like Lamictal gave me horrible cognitive side effects. I couldn't finish sentences or remember things that happened minutes ago. That was not the case with Lithium. I took Lithium for the first time during inpatient for a severe mixed episode and the difference was like night and day. It was like taking a painkiller when in severe pain. Within thirty minutes I felt what I can only describe as RELIEF. I've never had such a rapid and drastic reduction in symptoms. There is a reason Lithium is considered the "gold standard" in treating bipolar disorder. Everyone is different and some experience bad side effects with little relief on this medication, however I would recommend at least trying it if your doctor prescribes it. The only side effect I experience is increased thirst- a small price to pay for getting my life back."

NHelm March 8, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar 2 disorder and my psychiatrist prescribed me lithium. Have already been on antipsychotics but we were intending on switching medication. I also have PTSD. Day 5 on lithium and it has noticeably made my PTSD and associated ‘mental pain’ far worse and far more distracting and disabling. The effects of this is reduced motivation, increased tiredness, loss of smooth social skills, impaired cognitive functions. It’s not as severe as you may think, I can still function, but it has made living less pleasant and made it harder to get things done. I also experienced hand tremors for a few minutes which were unpleasant. Overall I would say it has an emotional numbing effect which detaches you from feeling things strongly so it is more difficult to function and interact with life. If you experience mania and say experience happiness far too strongly it could be helpful, but other medications (antipsychotics) are better (in my experience)."

Danjwp January 25, 2019

For Depression: "Serious cognitive problems surfacing after three weeks, trouble recalling a word, name or phrase. This has never happened to me....talking to my dr today. It’s like fast onset Alzheimer’s. Terrifying. Only other side effect is nausea which means I can’t eat during the day."

Panda (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been on this medicine a short while, but all I can say is that I feel extremely balanced, and level. I feel like my depressive episodes have eased up quite a bit, which is amazing. Now, my moods hardly ever go into the depressive zone of the Bipolar mood scale. I can actually function again in life, and at my job! Plus, my anxiety levels are pretty much nothing now. For me, Lithium works as a mood stabilizer/anti anxiety/and somewhat of an antidepressant all in one. Lithium is a miracle, and I hope it works for you, as well as it did with me. Big hugs to all you other Bipolars out there:)"

Queenofthereich9 (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have a bit of love/hate with lithium with the love outweighing the hate side of it. I’m Bipolar 1, diagnosed 4 years ago. Mentally, it is great. Keeps me level as long as I take it as prescribed, 600mg 2X a day. Prior to diagnosis, I had a self-diagnosed problem with alcohol (self-medicating likely) and since Lithium I hardly ever drink, maybe 2-3 times a year and only 1-2 at a time. I no longer get the same feelings from alcohol, which is odd and true. I consider that a plus. On the negative side, I had beautiful hair and now it’s dry and dull, so I’m always trying new products. Also, I have dirarhea 2-3 times a day most days. As it works so well mentally, I put up with these side effects. I like staying employed and being ‘mostly’ responsible."

Sunshine123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "900 Milligrams completely got rid of my chronic cluster headaches."

Rock December 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Gave me a nasty seizure my 5th day on it. I am currently on Depekote and its really working for me."

Hambone (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2018

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started on 150mg then switched to ER, I'm at 600mg heading for 900mg now and I have to say, you HAVE to give this drug time. I was anal retentive and a perfectionist with a lot of anxiety and depression. It was also easy to manipulate me because I had such low self-esteem at the time. I'd constantly find myself befriending those who had just as low self-esteem and those who liked to undermine me. Since I started, I started to grow a backbone and it scared a lot of the people who had this control on me. I've thankfully removed these toxic people from my life and have gradually brought in people who want the best for me. It really is a good mood stabilizer. What I do feel bad about today is that the friendships I lost because I wasn't on this drug previously to prevent me from doing something stupid."

BiPolar Bear December 10, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I love it.. thanks Dr from St. Louis you saved me thanks"

Crazy girl December 5, 2018

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was originally diagnosed with PMDD, but my doctor suggested I might actually have Bipolar Disorder Type 2 since I get seasonal depression. Sometimes I actually enjoyed my hypomania, but I had crippling anxiety and suicidal ideation that were difficult to live with. I started with 600mg and hated the side effects of lithium at first. The first two months were rough- I couldn't sleep because I had to urinate so often. I wanted to stop but didn't. My doc changed my dosage to 450mg ER and I love it. I am not the high-strung perfectionist I used to be. I feel peaceful and stable. It's actually kind of weird, but I would never want to go back. GIVE IT TIME, ADJUST DOSAGE! :)"

BANANARAMA!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was first prescribed Lithium years ago and stopped taking it within the first few months because of stomach pains nausea, and thirst. I chose to go unmedicated for years (not the best choice for me or my family). Years later I decided to give Lithium another try after finding that I couldn’t take Lamictal due to side effects and the other drug options seemed to have too many side effects. I’m so glad I went back on Lithium. I gave it some time and, after a few weeks, the stomach pains and nausea disappeared, as did the thirst. It works very well to even out my moods and prevent future episodes. Additionally, I get blood tests every 3 months to ensure my body is not being harmed by the drug. Also, if you’re concerned about cost, this drug is very reasonably priced since it cannot be patented."

Indy3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Pros: -stable enough to hold down a part time job now -reduced the urge to attack my friends and family for no good reason -lower sex drive Cons: -gained 10 pounds -constantly feel like I need to pee -still too depressed to go back to college -lower sex drive Final verdict: It's okay."

Megumi (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Great experience with 150mg of lithium. Worked to completely stabilize me. I'm so relieved. Wish I had tried it sooner. The other psych meds didn't work for my schizoaffective bipolar."

Sara September 27, 2018

For Mania: "Miracle drug! 1200mg (going to see if can be brought down to 900mg as only minor difference when raised). Came off other drugs slowly."

geek3d (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was placed on lithium Sep/17 during a powerful manic episode. I had zero insight into my bizarre behavior. Unfortunately the Lithium was not enough to bring me down alone. With valproate and olanzapine I was mostly over the mania by early November. I did have nausea, extreme thirst, coarse tremors, and an overall ill feeling for the first few months so I completely understand the temptation to quit. On the bright side, since the cycle ended I think the lithium has made me much calmer and more stable. I have not had a single day where I exhibited hypomanic behavior, which is a huge improvement over the prior decade. Other than thirst and fine hand tremor the side effects are gone. I never would have thought nine months ago that 2018 would turn out to be one of the best, most stable years of my life."

Alt Jay September 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had bad bouts of eratic spending, high sex drive and sudden lows. Luckily my wife stuck by me and got me help. I have been diagnosed bipolar for 5 years but had terrible weight gain and I'm going to seek help to reduce dosage. Thank you."

J (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Good"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

For Depression: "Went to see my psychiatrist and I was a little down because of stuff that's been going on in my life. He said I was going through a depression and prescribed me lithium. I started at 300mg daily with the aim of reaching 900mg after three weeks. The experience has not been a good one so far. My brain is in a constant chemical fog and I lost my mind's sharpness. Everything is more difficult : walking, thinking, talking... I slowed to a crawl and lost my natural love for Life. I took it upon myself to reduce the dosage and withdrawal has been painful. Serious mood swings and thinking impairment. I can't wait for the drug to be out of my system for good. P.S. I take it alongside Risperdal and Celexa, so perhaps the side effects were due to a combination. Your mileage may vary."

Charles120 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

For Depression: "I have treatment resistant severe major depressive disorder, PTSD and OCD. I was on lithium for less than a month when I developed lithium toxicity, it is unknown how this happened. I was in the hospital for 3 days to flush my system out. Next to cymbalta, lithium is the worst experience I've had with a psych med. I have been on over 20 different meds for my mental health and they do not work for me. Next up electro-convulsive therapy."

fibrodoll (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has been very helpful and it has really helped the depression side of bipolar II. No more suicidal thoughts (which no other medicine has this benefit!) and quality of life has gone up. It has stabilized my mood, and the hypo-mania with severe depression (psychotic features) I have been on lithium for about 5 months and the benefits started to show after 3 months of being on it. if you are starting this, be patient, results are not immediate."

Ava (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had high hopes for this drug as I had heard so many great things about it especially for people who are seriously in the throes of major depression and/or have and are experiencing a lot in their lives on a regular. However, sadly it really didn't do much for me. I just felt flat, not happy, not sad but still sad if that makes any sense, and somewhat neutral. Now I thought that I would prefer to be neutral but it's like I didn't care, didn't feel, everything was whatever. On top of that it made me go to the bathroom a lot. I already drink about 6-8 bottles per day and had had to go up to 8-10. My system just couldn't handle this drug and like I said, no real relief. I also want to add that this was my second time trying this drug and likely my last. Additionally, the 1st time I was prescribed 600mg, the second time 1200mg. Didn't matter either way, it just makes me not care and that's already part of my problem."

LdyLamentine (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on lithium for 5 years and it’s kept me well for the most part, episodes have on been hypo manic and partially brought on by choices I made. The drug is great at keeping moods stable. Side effects for men are : easy to vomit, excessive urination and I get thirsty. I can deal with those knowing I don’t have to experience the extreme highs and lows of bi polar whole on lithium. I currently take 1500mg and don’t use any other drugs and it works great !"

BradV May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "After numerous hospitalizations and medications I was prescribed lithium. I remember it so clearly while I was in the hospital. After taking it my brain literally felt like it was in a car accident. I asked my Dr Does this mean it working my brain was literally sore. He laughed nicely and said yes... I could actually hear and process what people were saying without interrupting them. My mind was calm and my brain was processing everything. I do not know why the medical community does not prescribe lithium more. I started out on 900 milligrams and now I only need 300 milligrams a day along with 150 of wellbutrin for weight stabilization and depression. It not only work for Bipolar I also have borderline personality disorder issues. Self harm, drugs alcohol etc. Scientists even say we all need low doses of lithium research it for yourself and God bless to all who need to be cured."

Finally cured April 24, 2018