User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 4 reviews 0 medications

4.5
Summary of Lithium reviews 238 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Lithium

For Depression: "At first I felt better but the then terrible weakness and tremors. Decided to get off but having unbearable anxiety. I was only on 600mg for two weeks and have dropped it to 300mg and soon to 150mg."

No Lithium (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium made me feel so YUCKY. I don't know how else to describe that. I also felt super lethargic, like I couldn't do the things I needed to do. I also had to pee all the time, even wet the bed once (which I never otherwise do) and was constantly thirsty. I don't feel like I was super stable on it, but it was better than nothing."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on lithium for a week and I already feel great. Grounded in the world and clear headed. I no longer feel I am trapped in a daydream/nightmare. I have no side effects apart from slightly dry lips and this drug will save my life, I have already deferred several decisions to end my life in the hope that I could find a cure for my Bi polar (once at 19 and again at 34) and I am glad I did as I think I have found it. I guess this is how it feels to be normal. I now feel that I can partake in the world rather than being caught in an endless battle of Bi Polar 2 rapid cycling."

Blablablabla May 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "It was on a low dose of lithium so it didn't affect my mood that much. It definitely combats suicidal ideation though which was the reason I was put on it. However, the side effects are HORRIBLE. Dry mouth, weight gain, thirst, hand tremors, drowsiness, increased urination, no interest in sex, feeling cold all the time. This morning I passed out due to dehydration. It's not worth it. There are other primary mood stabilizers that you can go on."

Xxcatgxx May 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Lithium for about 1.5 months, along with Lamotrigine. As soon as one week, I could tell a difference in myself. I was finally starting to feel like my "normal" self. At the time of starting these medications, I was easily agitated, would get angry at everyone over simple things. I found I was grinding my teeth a lot, trying to cope with my feelings. I was also becoming reclusive, since everything bothered me, I tried to avoid people and things that bothered me, so I would "hide" in my bedroom, and then the depression set in. So far, these two medications have helped wonderfully, and have changed my life!"

EMVW (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Took lithium carbonate. I have PTSD, depression, borderline bipolar.At first, it seemed like a wonder drug for about the first week. Then, out of nowhere, I experienced rapid cycling for the first time in my life. I screamed at the top of my lungs, felt like breaking things for catharsis (which I did on some very inexpensive items) Then after screaming in anger for about ten minutes, I immediately began crying for 30mins. Avoid lithium!!!"

sk0sH (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was prescribed 1200mg of lithium and unfortunately it didn't stablize my mood episodes. It wasn't until I was prescribed an antipsychotic in addition to the lithium did I finally stablize. People respond to it differently so it may be effective for some."

your name here April 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has been a life saver. I have been diagnosed with everything under the sun. Bipolar type 1 severe, ADHD, PSTD, and panic disorder. I have tried lamictal, Latuda, resperidol, trazadone, seroquel, vyvanse, adderal, concerta, kloninipin. I am now only down to this one drug twice a day. Only short coming is extreme thirst. But I've been happy and normal for the first time now for 2 months! Yay, wish I was on it sooner."

Cmb1992 April 11, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I've been on 75mg venlafaxine and 60mg mirtazapine for quite some time, with generally good results. Though my depressive symptoms were largely improved, I remained suicidal and lacking motivation in life. I recently added 300mg of lithium carbonate, and have noticed some improvement with the suicidality. My main complaint is that I am less socially engaging, as if there is nothing to talk about, I could just be quiet most of the day. My mood is relatively flat, I'm not sure if I will take it for long but it is worth a try."

Owl Capone (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Used for over 37 years"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is a lifesaver. I had been misdiagnosed for years. When I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 was happy to finally find somewhere to start. People scared me off lithium with all of the side effects. I was afraid of weight gain etc don't be! All of our side effects are different. I wish I would have tried it way sooner. I'm a ton happier! I haven't been this happy in years. I'm a completely different person. Sure, I have to deal with stomach aches if I don't eat with it. The thirst goes down but still need to drink water - that's very important. And tests are not that big of deal."

teetzytotz March 30, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had previously been put on every kind of antidepressant for depresion/anxiety. They all worked horribly; so I stopped all drugs and ceased seeing doctors. Then, I felt insanely suicidal- I was absolutely crazed. Luckily my sister urged me to seek help as fast as I could- so I did. I went to see another psychiatrist, and he diagnosed me as bipolar. I started on Lamictal, but that didn't do anything for me. Then I switched to Lithium- THANK GOODNESS I still get depressed, but I never get sucked into a deep suicidal hole like before. I quit the drug for 1 month, which caused me to think about suicide unrelentlessly. Never again will I stop taking Lithium. (Does cause extreme thirst and hand tremors, but well worth it)"

Bipolar Chique March 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Taken for a year. All its done for me is make me lose my personality, sex drive, and some weight gain. Also too many blood tests...your blood could be toxic at any point. Yes, if you do not want emotions at all take this medicine. I however am switching to lamictal to try to get my life back together."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had poor medication management which lead me to having a toxic level for over two months,on and off...it wasn't until my heart had arrhythmia so bad that I suffered cardiac arrest and a small stroke....I was found in my apartment on the floor after 3 days...almost dead- rhabdomylosis was setting in, I was severely dehydrated, and could not move my body for over a week when brought to ICU..I then had an ICD placed in my chest to control the arrhythmias ....no hemodialysis was given even though my Lithium level upon admission was,9 x the normal dosage. I was released to the psych ward where they gave me a other psychotropic to control my bipolar. Now 3 years later I have almost no thyroid function, left sided weak"

Kyrs (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Lithium, 1000g a day, for the past 39 + 1/2 years. I always drink a lot of water daily, + wee a lot or course. I have experiences tremours when water intake is low. I initially had hand tremor and some thinning hair. I have been taking 2000g of fish oil for the past 15 years and have recently started epilim to fine tune my short manic episodes. Lithium has been the saviour of my life many years ago after 2 manic episodes in one year. I take blood tests yearly or every 2 years ( if I forget, )to determine effect/normality of the internal organs in relation to Lithium. Resisting gambling, drugs ( smoking, ) and limiting alcohol has given me a lovely wife and seeing my now 2 adult sons grow up."

RetiredAussie February 22, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Effective at treating depression, however hit my kidneys and thyroid pretty hard, as soon as I went up to adequate blood levels. Mind you, I am otherwise a healthy young male, so be careful with this med. Was on it for a few months, after stopping, kidney and thyroid went back to normal. Now I just take 300mg a day, and my lithium levels are not where they should be but I think it still helps a bit at a low dose, without the serious side effects. I also take lithium orotate, which supposedly passes blood brain barrier and requires just a fraction of lithium in the blood, eliminating the usual side effect. That is still up for debate thou and I encourage you to do your own research but user reviews for lithium orotate seem to be excellent."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Long time user of Lithium, 35 years, I have Stage three renal failure, also have a atrophy cerebellum, and the last side effect is Downbeat Nystagmus due to atrophy cerebellum."

Ranchero boy February 17, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have been treated with lithium for a little over 30 days. Received results from blood work and increased dosage. Only side effect I notice are vivid nightmares. They're just dreams, so I'm not really concerned. I still struggle with anger from time to time, or short fits of rage, followed by regret and self loathing, a common cycle for me. Trying to remain optimistic. Finding myself wanting to isolate more and more. I know this is not healthy. Looking for some positive feedback and/or suggestions. Thanks"

Larry Bird February 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar and was recently put on lithium. I can tell a huge difference and so can my family but it's been about 4 months now and I'm at a crossroads with staying on it. Some of the side effects I'm having are weight gain, thirsty all the time, constantly having to pee, hand tremors, my hair is falling out and blank emotion. I've read a lot about this drug and I know my liver,kidneys and thyroid are all at major risk for damage so what do I choose? Feeling better and dealing with all the crap that goes with this medicine or get off of it? Decisions decisions???"

Dani4200 January 31, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cluster Headaches: "I have also used Lithium to control my cluster headaches. I usually start on a high dose of predinisone until the Lithium kicks in. It literally has been a "job" and "life" saver."

Teachergal (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium only worked for a short time then killed my thyroid. So now I have to have regular blood work and have to take thyroid medicine for the rest of my life. It would make me feel toxic. Harsh drug."

Gypsiequeen January 1, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for two months now, and honestly, it's given me my life back. I was treatment resistant for years, until Abilify came out. Unfortunately, that stopped working a few months ago, and in a fit of desperation, my doctor decided to add lithium. I was highly resistant, for many reasons, but I'm so glad I decided to try it. It took a few weeks to start feeling better, plus an increased dosage to 900 mg, but I honestly feel alive now. I'm better than I've been in years. In fact, we've started titrating me off the Abilify, which has had disastrous consequences in the past. I'm quite optimistic about my future now. The only side effect I've had is the tremors. Fingers crossed the nastier side effects stay away, amiright?"

Demosthenes30 December 28, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "For the first time in my life the noise my very loud voice in my head that has NO filter is gone! The lithium has given me peace.. 8 months in and I am starting to miss my grandiose ideas but not enough to stop medication. I will now be on this forever the peace and quiet in my mind allows me to regulate better and not get so angry"

Kaos December 15, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started to take this medication when my Primary care physician got uncomfortable with my extensive use of Benzos for my extreme social anxiety so I was sent to a specialist who started me on lithium. The results are mixed for me. On one hand, every time I would take a dose I would get sick to my stomach, I have no desire to eat and my hand trembling is noticeable. However, I can now leave my house, go into stores, not depressed and much less dependant on the Benzos, but I still get panic attacks. Overall the pros have outweighed the cons."

Step321 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Lithuim has definitely been a life saver for me. I've been taking lithium for about four months and finally feel normal..besides the side effects of extreme thirst and weight gain I can deal with..I just love the fact that I have my life back"

Anonymous November 27, 2016