User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 3 reviews 0 medications

5.7
Summary of Lithium reviews 227 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had previously been put on every kind of antidepressant for depresion/anxiety. They all worked horribly; so I stopped all drugs and ceased seeing doctors. Then, I felt insanely suicidal- I was absolutely crazed. Luckily my sister urged me to seek help as fast as I could- so I did. I went to see another psychiatrist, and he diagnosed me as bipolar. I started on Lamictal, but that didn't do anything for me. Then I switched to Lithium- THANK GOODNESS I still get depressed, but I never get sucked into a deep suicidal hole like before. I quit the drug for 1 month, which caused me to think about suicide unrelentlessly. Never again will I stop taking Lithium. (Does cause extreme thirst and hand tremors, but well worth it)"

Bipolar Chique March 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Taken for a year. All its done for me is make me lose my personality, sex drive, and some weight gain. Also too many blood tests...your blood could be toxic at any point. Yes, if you do not want emotions at all take this medicine. I however am switching to lamictal to try to get my life back together."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had poor medication management which lead me to having a toxic level for over two months,on and off...it wasn't until my heart had arrhythmia so bad that I suffered cardiac arrest and a small stroke....I was found in my apartment on the floor after 3 days...almost dead- rhabdomylosis was setting in, I was severely dehydrated, and could not move my body for over a week when brought to ICU..I then had an ICD placed in my chest to control the arrhythmias ....no hemodialysis was given even though my Lithium level upon admission was,9 x the normal dosage. I was released to the psych ward where they gave me a other psychotropic to control my bipolar. Now 3 years later I have almost no thyroid function, left sided weak"

Kyrs (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Lithium, 1000g a day, for the past 39 + 1/2 years. I always drink a lot of water daily, + wee a lot or course. I have experiences tremours when water intake is low. I initially had hand tremor and some thinning hair. I have been taking 2000g of fish oil for the past 15 years and have recently started epilim to fine tune my short manic episodes. Lithium has been the saviour of my life many years ago after 2 manic episodes in one year. I take blood tests yearly or every 2 years ( if I forget, )to determine effect/normality of the internal organs in relation to Lithium. Resisting gambling, drugs ( smoking, ) and limiting alcohol has given me a lovely wife and seeing my now 2 adult sons grow up."

RetiredAussie February 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Effective at treating depression, however hit my kidneys and thyroid pretty hard, as soon as I went up to adequate blood levels. Mind you, I am otherwise a healthy young male, so be careful with this med. Was on it for a few months, after stopping, kidney and thyroid went back to normal. Now I just take 300mg a day, and my lithium levels are not where they should be but I think it still helps a bit at a low dose, without the serious side effects. I also take lithium orotate, which supposedly passes blood brain barrier and requires just a fraction of lithium in the blood, eliminating the usual side effect. That is still up for debate thou and I encourage you to do your own research but user reviews for lithium orotate seem to be excellent."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Long time user of Lithium, 35 years, I have Stage three renal failure, also have a atrophy cerebellum, and the last side effect is Downbeat Nystagmus due to atrophy cerebellum."

Ranchero boy February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have been treated with lithium for a little over 30 days. Received results from blood work and increased dosage. Only side effect I notice are vivid nightmares. They're just dreams, so I'm not really concerned. I still struggle with anger from time to time, or short fits of rage, followed by regret and self loathing, a common cycle for me. Trying to remain optimistic. Finding myself wanting to isolate more and more. I know this is not healthy. Looking for some positive feedback and/or suggestions. Thanks"

Larry Bird February 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar and was recently put on lithium. I can tell a huge difference and so can my family but it's been about 4 months now and I'm at a crossroads with staying on it. Some of the side effects I'm having are weight gain, thirsty all the time, constantly having to pee, hand tremors, my hair is falling out and blank emotion. I've read a lot about this drug and I know my liver,kidneys and thyroid are all at major risk for damage so what do I choose? Feeling better and dealing with all the crap that goes with this medicine or get off of it? Decisions decisions???"

Dani4200 January 31, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cluster Headaches: "I have also used Lithium to control my cluster headaches. I usually start on a high dose of predinisone until the Lithium kicks in. It literally has been a "job" and "life" saver."

Teachergal (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium only worked for a short time then killed my thyroid. So now I have to have regular blood work and have to take thyroid medicine for the rest of my life. It would make me feel toxic. Harsh drug."

Gypsiequeen January 1, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for two months now, and honestly, it's given me my life back. I was treatment resistant for years, until Abilify came out. Unfortunately, that stopped working a few months ago, and in a fit of desperation, my doctor decided to add lithium. I was highly resistant, for many reasons, but I'm so glad I decided to try it. It took a few weeks to start feeling better, plus an increased dosage to 900 mg, but I honestly feel alive now. I'm better than I've been in years. In fact, we've started titrating me off the Abilify, which has had disastrous consequences in the past. I'm quite optimistic about my future now. The only side effect I've had is the tremors. Fingers crossed the nastier side effects stay away, amiright?"

Demosthenes30 December 28, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "For the first time in my life the noise my very loud voice in my head that has NO filter is gone! The lithium has given me peace.. 8 months in and I am starting to miss my grandiose ideas but not enough to stop medication. I will now be on this forever the peace and quiet in my mind allows me to regulate better and not get so angry"

Kaos December 15, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started to take this medication when my Primary care physician got uncomfortable with my extensive use of Benzos for my extreme social anxiety so I was sent to a specialist who started me on lithium. The results are mixed for me. On one hand, every time I would take a dose I would get sick to my stomach, I have no desire to eat and my hand trembling is noticeable. However, I can now leave my house, go into stores, not depressed and much less dependant on the Benzos, but I still get panic attacks. Overall the pros have outweighed the cons."

Step321 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Lithuim has definitely been a life saver for me. I've been taking lithium for about four months and finally feel normal..besides the side effects of extreme thirst and weight gain I can deal with..I just love the fact that I have my life back"

Anonymous November 27, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have attempted suicide three times in my life. The first two times were before I knew of Lithium and the third was when I took a break from Lithium, foolishly thinking I had gotten better. Lithium, at 900mg, almost completely eliminates the suicidal ideation. Symptoms of depression still present, however much better. Side effects I have had are weight gain (5 lbs?), frequent urination/thirst, thinning of my hair and sometimes I feel tired. I'll take these side effects any day over how I used to feel. This medicine has kept me alive. If you have recurring suicidal ideation, I would highly recommend."

Jen3256 October 27, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have life-long treatment resistant depression and I'm taking a SNRI, recently started Lithium Carbonate as augmentation. It just makes me very tired at the starting dose. Although I'll try, I don't expect increasing the dose will help and feeling so tired is very counterproductive for me. Also, have the typical thirst and no appetite. If it causes weight gain, that will make it even worse."

Eff-B (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Not sure why they give this to people but they sure do... Took 3 months and besides the foaming at the mouth and memory loss and the inability to articulate words ( my family thought i was drunk :( ) And the lack of coordination to the point i couldnt even walk straight. I rode my bicycle on this stuff and tipped over into the street and almost got run over!!!! So then they added Carbamazapine to try and "help" with the lithium side effects and it made EVERYTHING worse!!! Folks there is only one drug i have found that helps both extreme mania and extreme despression and curbs the rapid swings and that is cannibus sativa ( not indica ). God gave us this flower for a reason and no you dont even have to smoke it... Just eat a cookie :)"

Ace in Colorado October 17, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Didn't do anything except make me very tired. , aching joints, slightly incontinent so abandoned it ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've had a severe manic episode and was put on antipsychotics which helped calming me down but I was still a bit manic. When put on lithium I felt a lot better because mania ceased. The difference between antipsychotics and litihium for me was like if antipsychotics stepped on the brake and lithium lifted the gas pedal. The only, but still significant, side effect I've had is less short term memory. Lithium stabilize my mood, less anxiety and stress (less diarrhea, less neck pain, more relaxed), better sleep not just because mania stopped but also because overall well being I'm very satisfied with lithium as a mood stabilizer"

Johan1234567890 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have to say Lithium has change my life for the good. I started taking this med, just 5 days ago and it's like I got my life back. I have paranoid schizophrenia and major depression and borderline personality disorder. The past 8 years were literally like hell on earth for me. I've tried so many different medication and nothing really worked for me. The first time I took my Lithium I felt like more in tuned on what's going on. Now I'm on day 5 and my racing thoughts are pretty much gone. My depression is vanishing. My voice's are at a minimum. My anixiety from going out in public has been getting better and better. It actually boost's my confidence. My energy level has gone way up. I'm generally more happier and more at peace."

Divine in Time (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar Disorder, PTSD, Anxiety, OCD. I Started taking 300 mg once at night, gradually went up to 1200 mg before my psychiatrist took me off of it. I've taken other mood stabilizers as well as antidepressants and antipsychotics with none really having a noticeable effect. It helped to mellow me out some, but during and after stressful life changes and traumatic events that occurred, my anxiety, mania, paranoia, anger, irritability, brain fog, etc. was full blown. My depression and brain fog always lingered throughout the whole time I took it as well. I did not want to risk upping my dosage due to the possible toxicity. I was starting to feel extremely nauseous after taking it even though I always took it with plenty of food and drank plenty of water."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm 21 and have bipolar disorder I've been on lithium for exactly a year next month. The only side effect I 100% know is from the lithium is retaining water weight (I haven't gained actual weight at all on lithium) once I drink more water I'm fine. I'm more on the manic pole so the lithium levels me out, decreases my impulses and over all I'm more pleasant to be around, less snappy. I was on Klonopin for 4 years and once I went on lithium I easily came off of it once my bipolar was under control (about 3 months into getting my lithium levels up) Lithium is a lifesaver to me and I can't imagine not taking it. It's the only one that works for me. And I like myself on lithium.Im more than satisfied after 8 years of trial and error."

Kaat21 September 17, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is for Mania. It is NOT a mood stabilizer. Lamictal is an awesome mood stabilizer. Anyway, Lithium has done wonders for me! I feel calmer on it and not so spacey and think clearer. The only thing that I do not like is the fear of it damaging my liver and/or kidney's. I do blood work every 3 months to get my levels and make sure everything is ok. and he did lower me once because the lithium level had gotten too high. Also, my hair is thinner and dryer since I started it. Not fond of that either."

NightOwlie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I took lithium twice by with no other drugs. First for a few days. I stopped because it made me feel flat & it more difficult to think of the right word to use. My vocabulary & ability to articulate were noticeably worse. I took it again at my doctor's advice- 300 mg for one week, then switched to 600 mg. The day I took the 600 mg I was so angry that I wouldn't leave the house because I thought I'd pick a physical fight (something I've never done). I stopped taking it altogether, and now my memory is much worse than it's ever been (memory has always been a severe problem for me to begin with). I generally have a harder time getting anything done, speak a lot more awkwardly now, and have been pretty upset that Lithium made my life worse."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have tried so many antidepressants over the last two years and actually found them to only increase the severity of my depression. I found one that helped finally but still felt symptoms of depression creeping in. I asked my Dr to augment with lithium and it worked! My fatigue is nonexistent now and I feel like I can handle life now. At first I was so thirsty that I could drink the entire Atlantic Ocean with a straw. It has since improved--but I learned that no matter how much I drink, I'm still going to have some thirst so I don't over do it. My mouth is dry and I have a very slight tremor in my hands but it's a small price to pay----now I get to live instead of just survive. :) Ps aincrease your dose slowly to minimize side effects"

Jillian3675 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016