User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 3 reviews 0 medications

5.7
Summary of Lithium reviews 206 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm 21 and have bipolar disorder I've been on lithium for exactly a year next month. The only side effect I 100% know is from the lithium is retaining water weight (I haven't gained actual weight at all on lithium) once I drink more water I'm fine. I'm more on the manic pole so the lithium levels me out, decreases my impulses and over all I'm more pleasant to be around, less snappy. I was on Klonopin for 4 years and once I went on lithium I easily came off of it once my bipolar was under control (about 3 months into getting my lithium levels up) Lithium is a lifesaver to me and I can't imagine not taking it. It's the only one that works for me. And I like myself on lithium.Im more than satisfied after 8 years of trial and error."

Kaat21 September 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is for Mania. It is NOT a mood stabilizer. Lamictal is an awesome mood stabilizer. Anyway, Lithium has done wonders for me! I feel calmer on it and not so spacey and think clearer. The only thing that I do not like is the fear of it damaging my liver and/or kidney's. I do blood work every 3 months to get my levels and make sure everything is ok. and he did lower me once because the lithium level had gotten too high. Also, my hair is thinner and dryer since I started it. Not fond of that either."

NightOwlie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I took lithium twice by with no other drugs. First for a few days. I stopped because it made me feel flat & it more difficult to think of the right word to use. My vocabulary & ability to articulate were noticeably worse. I took it again at my doctor's advice- 300 mg for one week, then switched to 600 mg. The day I took the 600 mg I was so angry that I wouldn't leave the house because I thought I'd pick a physical fight (something I've never done). I stopped taking it altogether, and now my memory is much worse than it's ever been (memory has always been a severe problem for me to begin with). I generally have a harder time getting anything done, speak a lot more awkwardly now, and have been pretty upset that Lithium made my life worse."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

For Depression: "I have tried so many antidepressants over the last two years and actually found them to only increase the severity of my depression. I found one that helped finally but still felt symptoms of depression creeping in. I asked my Dr to augment with lithium and it worked! My fatigue is nonexistent now and I feel like I can handle life now. At first I was so thirsty that I could drink the entire Atlantic Ocean with a straw. It has since improved--but I learned that no matter how much I drink, I'm still going to have some thirst so I don't over do it. My mouth is dry and I have a very slight tremor in my hands but it's a small price to pay----now I get to live instead of just survive. :) Ps aincrease your dose slowly to minimize side effects"

Jillian3675 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I appreciate Lithium. Although my thyroid level is low, a supplement helps to equalize this problem. I've been through at least 20 different medications to stabilize my Bipolar diagnosis. I always wanted to be of normal state of mind. Lithium has allowed me to be equally yoked with myself. 300mg ER in the evening. 100mg of Seroquel in the evening. 20mg of Cymbalta in the morning! I'm set! If I'm feeling anxiety I can add Busper or Loranzapam."

MsKdkw (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take lithium 300 mg twice daily. The lithium makes me pee constantly and I really have to watch it if I decide to have any alcohol - I drink just 2 small beers and I'm very buzzed. The lithium makes me feel stable and it keeps me from having severe or deep depression. It has eliminated my severe depressions and it's the only drug I've tried that does this. I still get the blues or feel slightly depressed but NOTHING like the suicidal black hole depression I used to experience. Also, it slows me down during hypomania so I don't escalate to full blown mania. But if I neglected to take my lithium during hypomania (ran out) when in full blown mania -lithium helps, but in my case I must take an anti psychotic to ground me as well."

Lucy Clare (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2016

For Depression: "Was on it for over a month. Made me extremely sad, much more than usual and caused some constant, very scary suicidal ideation. When I went off it I felt better, (as better as I can be), immediately."

Kyle BC (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was on lithium carbonate, for 21 years. Mentally I found lithium to be a very effective mood stabiliser. The physical effects of lithium, is what affected me in the long term. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, after being on lithium for 7 years, which my doctor attributed to being on lithium long term, and after being on lithium for 21 years, I was diagnosed with Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, which an endocrinologist, attributed to being on lithium long term, the symptoms of this are increase thirst and increase urination, as I passed 10 litres of urine in a 24 urine test. Recently I have just had one of my kidneys removed due to renal cancer, which I attribute to the long term use of lithium also."

Rusty1966 July 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am labeled bipolar II. I take 1200 mg of lithium a day. It has helped in my case. No more fast cycling manias, no real bouts of depression. The downside is that hurt the libido as I have seen some studies where it can decrease testerone and my level is low. It all started when I started the lithium. I experience flat emotion, what made me realize it was it was hard to grieve when my mom passe. Typically, nothing never really effects me, I rarely feel stress or pressured, I am indifferent to most things. I am on Wellbutrin, lamictal and occasional Xanax but the lithium is the culprit I believe. So now it's a trade off, get off it and play merry go round the meds Or keep on it and deal with the side effects, I go back and forth on it."

Itguy41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2016

For Depression: "I took this drug in combination with Zoloft and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, and ever since then my ability to write and create has just not been the same. I have been off of these drugs for a few months and these things have not returned to normal, which is quite distressing. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell if this problem resulted from the lithium, the Zoloft, the TMS or some combination of all three. Regardless of its effect on my capacity for written expression, I did not experience any relief from this medication. For instance, lithium is supposed to reduce suicidal thoughts, but I did not notice any decrease in these feelings or inclinations at all; nor did it help with sadness, motivation, etc."

Lucy33 July 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on lithium about 26 years. Currently on 1,200mg putting my lithium level at 1.0. It dramatically improved my sleep which without lithium is a major problem. It has made me more pleasant to be around, close to stopped my angry, irritable ways and keeps me from destroying relationships. No weight gain, mild tremor and dry mouth. This medication I combination with lower dose Prozac has saved my life and given me a quality life. Outstanding medication and very inexpensive!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar I disorder, usually mixed episodes. I've been on lithium for about 14 years. Lithium controls the cycling, keeps me free from mania, and causes absolutely no side-effects whatsoever. My lab tests have always been fine. I take 1200 mg a day. I also take quetiapine 300 mg and risperidone 2 mg a day."

SueX2016 (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bI polar was diagnosed last year and since I was a baby I had epilepsy. Anyway, I've been on Lithium for a long time and hate it. It killed my thyroid. When I started taking it, first blood test I took a month later. When results came out my doctor said I have hypothyroidism now. I had a lot of pain that I could not even move, and I was cold from my hypothyroidism. It was all from this pill. I want to be off of it. I fund anticonvulsant pills that also does bipolar, I showed it to him. And he says that my neurologist has to agree. I see her end of this month. Do not take Lithium.... it kills your thyroid!"

Sam415 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm currently between diagnoses of Bipolar II and BPD. I started on 400mg Lithium (taking my level to 0.3) and already felt some effects with it. I recently increased this to 600mg and whilst I feel like myself again, I have a few side effects. A lot of nausea, being put off of food, an extreme thirst (which isn't a bad thing because it's important to stay super hydrated on Lithium!), minor muscle weakness and stomach issues. When starting and increasing the dose, I became incredibly gassy (thankfully, odourless!) and have had slight stomach upsets. I've also found acid reflux to be a huge symptom for me also, whether it is caused by taking Lithium alongside Celexa (Citalopram) and Inderal (Propranolol), I'm unsure. overall, great drug."

cognition (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016

For Cyclothymic Disorder: "I've been on lithium for 4 months now. As far as helping my mental symptoms I couldn't be happier BUT after about 2 months my hair started coming out. My doctor assured me it was not the lithium (even though it's a documented side effect). He said it was due to the huge amount of stress I had been under and hair shedding was the effect of it now 3 months later. Well, after 4 months my hair is STILL coming out and I have 1/3 of the hair I had before. I cringe everytime I wash it because I don't want to see all those strands circling the drain. My doctor insists I continue it and he hasn't even offered to change it (only reduce the dose 1 month ago). Folks I have had enough!! I decided to try lithium orotate OTC. I started it today."

I need my hair July 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Poison for your body. It was sold to me like all docs who can push pills sell them, essentially docs are drug dealers, they feel strange not pushing pills on you, like they missed a sale, failed. They have no regard for your body, trust me! I have had over 16 years of experience. On 300mg, my thyroid was bad, after 3 weeks at this dose, even though too low per my doc to bring up #'s on blood test, he pushed for 900mg, the tiredness, constant dehydration, salty taste in mouth, then what it has already done to my thyroid (Hormones = Mood), I"m done! BTW, never been so angry since I was on this drug, finally stopped to realize, since I was on Lithium very irritable. It does not get rid of depression. It does turn you into a zombie."

Bipolar 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was on this for Bipolar II, but diagnosis later withdrawn. This drug. Knocks. You. Out. And it also gives you tremors, so don't plan to do precision anything if you're on it. It dehydrates you and makes you have to pee a lot."

Blehmehmechheh (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started lithium nearly 2 years ago, thyroid went almost instantly along with energy and about 10% of my hair. Then followed by liver (they keep saying liver isn't affected but I never had a problem with my liver and had blood tests done 3 months before my lithium start). I have a huge personal event happen that shattered those around me but I am completely numb. When you can't feel then you have to ask is it worth it."

Mary's little lamb (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been using lithium for over a year and it really made me like a normal me again in few months. I used to be very angry, anxious, sad and suicidal. Together with celexa. I was able to be like normal again but i gained 30lbs from my normal weight 110lbs. That is why i took one point off. I trained and just finished marathon. But my weight is not even a pound down. I just have my blood test done th today. Will see doctor tomorrow and see if i could reduce the dose for a better weight result."

Busy lazy bee June 10, 2016

For Depression: "it helped somewhat for my antidepressant to work"

TOPALE June 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "It's like being extremely hung over eveyday. Clouded head, no energy, diarrhea and dehydrated. Not fun at all. I guess I'll be manic. Tremors like you've been on a 3 day bender. Anxiety levels are high. They were right when they said it doesn't work for everyone. Hope you have a better experience than me."

Goldendoodles June 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking 1200mg daily (900mg daily 1/2 of the time), but for over 18 years. This drug does appear to soften the lows and highs. However extreme moods still occur while on this drug, it appears to be effective. This seems to be the staple Bipolar drug, and many cocktails prescribed by doctors include this. I have not seen any bad side effects from this, other than being very thirsty from time to time. With that, I do carry more water weight than the average person. I know this because I will often weigh myself before going to sleep, then go to the bathroom various times through the night and morning, and find that I "lose" upwards to 5 pounds. The yearly or 6 month blood tests are annoying, but so far my kidneys are okay."

Manuel231 (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am bipolar II. My problem is the severe depression. I have taken antidepressants in the past which didn't work. I don't have hallucinations or hear voices, but my depression is so severe that it feels like I have bugs crawling inside my brain. The top of my head feels like a heavy brick is sitting on top, and I experience numbess in my head and throughout my extremities. I believe I do experience delusional thought patterns combined with guilt. After adding lithium to my antidepressant, imipramine, my breakdowns are eliminated. It can take several weeks for these meds to lift the symptoms. I actually get better everyday until I am well, again. Lithium in combination of imipramine has saved my life! Side effects aren't bad. Lifesaver!"

violet 999 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has cut my suicidal thinking drastically and helped my sleep. For 20 years I have fantasized about suicide from between 25 times and 300 times a week consistently. I took latuda and lamictal for bipolar and had very little sleep on both and the suicidal thinking got too intense. Been on lithium for 3 months now and the suicidal thinking has diminished to between 0 and 5 times a week. Huge difference. Have not noticed any adverse side effects. I am on a regular sleep schedule now as well. Highly recommended for the overly suicidal thinker like me."

surfzulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "After being misdiagnosed and mistreated for 20 years, I finally understood that I am bipolar type 2. I noticed a huge difference on lithium (I don't have any other meds whatsoever now) the first day I took it as I immediately leveled out. The antidepressant effect took slightly longer to kick in but this medication has changed my life. I don't feel cut off like I did on SSRI meds and I don't have any side effects at all. All my blood work has been perfect and I am really pleased beyond any expectations with the effect and the total lack of side effects. I don't feel like I am on a medication at all - it feels like I have suddenly become normal. "

XcghCgjj May 4, 2016