User Reviews for Lithium systemic

Borderline Personality Disorder
4.5

Summary of Lithium reviews 7.5 288 reviews

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I love it.. thanks Dr from St. Louis you saved me thanks"

Crazy girl December 5, 2018

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was originally diagnosed with PMDD, but my doctor suggested I might actually have Bipolar Disorder Type 2 since I get seasonal depression. Sometimes I actually enjoyed my hypomania, but I had crippling anxiety and suicidal ideation that were difficult to live with. I started with 600mg and hated the side effects of lithium at first. The first two months were rough- I couldn't sleep because I had to urinate so often. I wanted to stop but didn't. My doc changed my dosage to 450mg ER and I love it. I am not the high-strung perfectionist I used to be. I feel peaceful and stable. It's actually kind of weird, but I would never want to go back. GIVE IT TIME, ADJUST DOSAGE! :)"

BANANARAMA!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was first prescribed Lithium years ago and stopped taking it within the first few months because of stomach pains nausea, and thirst. I chose to go unmedicated for years (not the best choice for me or my family). Years later I decided to give Lithium another try after finding that I couldn’t take Lamictal due to side effects and the other drug options seemed to have too many side effects. I’m so glad I went back on Lithium. I gave it some time and, after a few weeks, the stomach pains and nausea disappeared, as did the thirst. It works very well to even out my moods and prevent future episodes. Additionally, I get blood tests every 3 months to ensure my body is not being harmed by the drug. Also, if you’re concerned about cost, this drug is very reasonably priced since it cannot be patented."

Indy3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Pros: -stable enough to hold down a part time job now -reduced the urge to attack my friends and family for no good reason -lower sex drive Cons: -gained 10 pounds -constantly feel like I need to pee -still too depressed to go back to college -lower sex drive Final verdict: It's okay."

Megumi (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Great experience with 150mg of lithium. Worked to completely stabilize me. I'm so relieved. Wish I had tried it sooner. The other psych meds didn't work for my schizoaffective bipolar."

Sara September 27, 2018

For Mania: "Miracle drug! 1200mg (going to see if can be brought down to 900mg as only minor difference when raised). Came off other drugs slowly."

geek3d (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was placed on lithium Sep/17 during a powerful manic episode. I had zero insight into my bizarre behavior. Unfortunately the Lithium was not enough to bring me down alone. With valproate and olanzapine I was mostly over the mania by early November. I did have nausea, extreme thirst, coarse tremors, and an overall ill feeling for the first few months so I completely understand the temptation to quit. On the bright side, since the cycle ended I think the lithium has made me much calmer and more stable. I have not had a single day where I exhibited hypomanic behavior, which is a huge improvement over the prior decade. Other than thirst and fine hand tremor the side effects are gone. I never would have thought nine months ago that 2018 would turn out to be one of the best, most stable years of my life."

Alt Jay September 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had bad bouts of eratic spending, high sex drive and sudden lows. Luckily my wife stuck by me and got me help. I have been diagnosed bipolar for 5 years but had terrible weight gain and I'm going to seek help to reduce dosage. Thank you."

J (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Good"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

For Depression: "Went to see my psychiatrist and I was a little down because of stuff that's been going on in my life. He said I was going through a depression and prescribed me lithium. I started at 300mg daily with the aim of reaching 900mg after three weeks. The experience has not been a good one so far. My brain is in a constant chemical fog and I lost my mind's sharpness. Everything is more difficult : walking, thinking, talking... I slowed to a crawl and lost my natural love for Life. I took it upon myself to reduce the dosage and withdrawal has been painful. Serious mood swings and thinking impairment. I can't wait for the drug to be out of my system for good. P.S. I take it alongside Risperdal and Celexa, so perhaps the side effects were due to a combination. Your mileage may vary."

Charles120 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

For Depression: "I have treatment resistant severe major depressive disorder, PTSD and OCD. I was on lithium for less than a month when I developed lithium toxicity, it is unknown how this happened. I was in the hospital for 3 days to flush my system out. Next to cymbalta, lithium is the worst experience I've had with a psych med. I have been on over 20 different meds for my mental health and they do not work for me. Next up electro-convulsive therapy."

fibrodoll (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has been very helpful and it has really helped the depression side of bipolar II. No more suicidal thoughts (which no other medicine has this benefit!) and quality of life has gone up. It has stabilized my mood, and the hypo-mania with severe depression (psychotic features) I have been on lithium for about 5 months and the benefits started to show after 3 months of being on it. if you are starting this, be patient, results are not immediate."

Ava (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had high hopes for this drug as I had heard so many great things about it especially for people who are seriously in the throes of major depression and/or have and are experiencing a lot in their lives on a regular. However, sadly it really didn't do much for me. I just felt flat, not happy, not sad but still sad if that makes any sense, and somewhat neutral. Now I thought that I would prefer to be neutral but it's like I didn't care, didn't feel, everything was whatever. On top of that it made me go to the bathroom a lot. I already drink about 6-8 bottles per day and had had to go up to 8-10. My system just couldn't handle this drug and like I said, no real relief. I also want to add that this was my second time trying this drug and likely my last. Additionally, the 1st time I was prescribed 600mg, the second time 1200mg. Didn't matter either way, it just makes me not care and that's already part of my problem."

LdyLamentine (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on lithium for 5 years and it’s kept me well for the most part, episodes have on been hypo manic and partially brought on by choices I made. The drug is great at keeping moods stable. Side effects for men are : easy to vomit, excessive urination and I get thirsty. I can deal with those knowing I don’t have to experience the extreme highs and lows of bi polar whole on lithium. I currently take 1500mg and don’t use any other drugs and it works great !"

BradV May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "After numerous hospitalizations and medications I was prescribed lithium. I remember it so clearly while I was in the hospital. After taking it my brain literally felt like it was in a car accident. I asked my Dr Does this mean it working my brain was literally sore. He laughed nicely and said yes... I could actually hear and process what people were saying without interrupting them. My mind was calm and my brain was processing everything. I do not know why the medical community does not prescribe lithium more. I started out on 900 milligrams and now I only need 300 milligrams a day along with 150 of wellbutrin for weight stabilization and depression. It not only work for Bipolar I also have borderline personality disorder issues. Self harm, drugs alcohol etc. Scientists even say we all need low doses of lithium research it for yourself and God bless to all who need to be cured."

Finally cured April 24, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started 900 mgs per day a week ago and I hate it! I noticed so far a slight difference in mood for the better. The side effects are horrible......especially having headaches all the time. Other problems are stomach ache and ready to barf any second, extreme thirst, morning dry mouth, big raised welts on upper chest and face, painful rash now starting, night sweats--wake up completely soaked so not sleeping thru night. Ugh it goes on...sharp shooting pain on right side about where the liver is, heart beats really hard, having a hard time breathing-my lungs hurt. This all scares me so much. It's not worth it to take a medication that does all this to me on an everyday basis. I wish there was another stabilizer, something else to take without all this...."

ZIB (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm a teenager with type 2 bipolar disorder and I've been on lithium and luvox for over 4 years and its worked wonders for me. I'd recommend this to anyone. Over the course of 3 years prior to this medication I was hospitalized 4 times due to suicide attempts and after being on lithium I haven't been hospitalized since. The only downside that I have had is extreme thirst, and 0 sex drive."

ellsss (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Honestly this is the most effective drug by far! I am so calm and my thinking is so much more organized. All the cry babies whining about the blood tests are ridiculous. This medicine is awesome. Don't give up on the drug you have to give it time. The only downfall is getting to a serum level that works for you. I'm on 1200mg 0.7 and that seems to be working just fine. Keep your head up and give it at least 3 months."

RetroR (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was taking regular lithium before lithobid. We switched to lithobid thinking the extended release would be easier on my body. I had nothing but problems after switching to lithobid; for some reason my body rejected this drug when lithium was always good to me. Six months later I moved and switched pharmacies and due to a pharmacy error I got 300mg of lithobid instead of my prescribed 1500mg. They couldn't give me more but for some reason were able to give me 1200mg of lithium. After just two weeks of being on 1200 lithium and 300 lithobid, people started telling me I seemed like myself again. And I was feeling much better. My anxiety was way down and I wasn't having strange spikes into delirium. So I don't know why, but lithobid was a completely useless drug for me, while lithium did its job. They should be the same thing, right? But if you're having problems on lithobid, I guess know that it's possible for you to react to it differently than plain ol' lithium."

L (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Worked fine at first, but my Dr. constantly messed w/ the dose (15-20 changes in 2 years) to keep my lithium levels consistent. I ended up w/ almost every side effect (hair loss & tremors were most severe) and it just stopped working altogether. My episodes were worse than ever and I ended up being hospitalized from being put on too high of a dose (vomiting blood & lithium level was at 2.4 instead of 1.0) Eventually I just stopped taking it on my own and switched doctors. It might have worked well if I had a more responsible doctor to monitor everything, but I’m too shell-shocked to give it another go :/"

Cboxjett March 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking lithium when I was about 24 yrs old. It did help my mania and depression. I decided about a year later that I didn't need it anymore so I stopped taking it. I went manic almost immediately and ended up in the hospital for 3 months. I have now been on lithium for over 40 years and no mania or depression has come back although I really enjoyed the mania part. Getting the levels right is really important and it takes time. I've read some other comment on here where people are saying they've tried it for a few months and quit....lithium takes about a year to feel like normal, at least it did for me."

KC (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2018

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started having severe depression in 1971b(suicidal ideations) followed by manic episodes that ended in psychosis, jail and mental institutions. I held the manic episodes at bay by consuming large amounts of alcohol. After a hospitalization in 1979 for depression, I was prescribed lithium. I quit taking lithium once in 1983 to go natural and wound up in the puzzle house. I have been taking it ever since (1200 mg/ day) and have experienced no perceptible side effects. I just had blood work done and have normal kidney and liver function. I did quit drinking and I now exercise regularly. I am now retired after a successful marriage and career. I have lived a good life."

tjj1952 (taken for 10 years or more) February 20, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium again now for few years. I was able to wean off of it a long time ago under doctors supervision. I do experience slight tremors in my fingers but I honestly can say hand on heart its brilliant at keeping the manic episodes at bay. Now for the depression episodes my psychiatrist added Sertraline 150mg and 100mg Lamictal which the three make a super combo one for mania, two for depression. I have been episode free now for several years. I cannot say anything bad about Lithium it has been a life saver for me. And of course thanks be to God for His help."

MaureenL (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I wrote a review in the lamotrigen review area also. I was on lithium for 30 years. It is so important to get blood tests for kidney, thyroid function every 6 months. My kidneys did well for those years until 2014 when creatinine level increased by .1. This is a big deal. That increase threw me into 3 CKD. Dr took me off lithium to lamotrigen and I am so pleased. Lithium caused extreme thirst and Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus which is a rare kidney disease. About Bi-Polar disease, the lithium worked wonders and I had no episodes in all those years. Bi Polar episodes are horrible and I thank lithium for protecting me against those. I have to deal with kidney disease now, you have to weigh the pros and cons."

Brimun (taken for 10 years or more) February 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Darius, Wellbutrin is stimulant based, so it has potential to put someone with BiPolar into mania (which includes paranoia). I was on it at one point and it caused extreme paranoia and hallucinations. I'm not a medical professional but I would try another antidepressant. Please never stop taking a drug without talking to your doctor first. It's dangerous. To all: I've been on lithium for about a month at 900 mg. I'm not myself. I'm so spacey and am just numb. If this is an antidepressant, I don't feel happy at all. I'm nauseous all the time which is affecting my ability to perform well in school. (hard to concentrate on school work when you feel like you're going to barf at any second all the time). I have hallucinations where objects, walls, etc. stretch taller and wider than they are and move around. I emailed my doctor tonight. I hate this drug. The only positive is that most days (when nausea hasn't kept me up all night) I can wake up early in the morning."

Gaffney T. (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018