User Reviews for Lithium

4.5

Summary of Lithium reviews 7.4 318 reviews

Reviews for Lithium

HumongousChungus · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

For Depression: "Taking this med tells me a bit more about my mental illness. Being diagnosed as Bipolar 2, which I absolutely don’t believe anymore After Li, my doctor prescribed me this after a long trial with lamictal didn’t work. I was on lamictal for 11 months and it never really helped with depression. I have been on 300mg ER lithium for 3 weeks, and then 450 for 5 days. Made me hypersomniac, horrible brain fog, more sensitive to thoughts, DEPRESSED, no motivation and always tired! Anxiety & occasional panic attacks still linger. I am already tapering down to 225mg. I don’t think this will work out. It makes me feel flat & just as or more depressed than being unmedicated. Mood stabilizers don’t work for me. At this point I’d rather try an antipsychotic over Depabloat."

Cee · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm Bipolar 1 and my psychiatrist put me on Lithium after my first hospitalization for a manic episode with psychosis. I was really afraid because I have heard horror stories, but I trusted him. It's been almost two years and I have had no symptoms. Seriously. I have a normal range of emotions. I get happy and tear up when I see a cute dog, cry when something really bad happens, but nothing a normal person wouldn't experience. I was afraid I would be a zombie but I'm not at all. Overall I'm very happy. I drink a lot of water anyway so that wasn't a big deal and I haven't noticed any changes in my hair."

Leebodine · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 15, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "These doctors knew I work outside but yet still gave me this medicine, I’ve haven’t felt good in the summer while on this, so I did some research and the doctor and the pharmacist said it is a very dangerous medication to take while working in the sun, I’m not a happy person right now"

alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "There was never a change in my moods while on lithium; in fact, they got worse, almost like I wasn't on other medications to help with my moods and depression. I tried to tell my doctor that nothing was happening and I wasn't feeling even a little bit better, but he kept me on it for another 2 months before I made him change to a different medicine if he wanted me to leave his office. It made my moods worse, and reduced my appetite to 0, where I couldn't eat for multiple days. It made me feel absolutely miserable. I don't even know why doctors try giving this to BPD patients."

Hambone · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2019

For Depression: "Lithium takes the edge off my moods without intolerable side effects. It will not make me "happy," any more than the other prescriptions I have tried, but I doubt that's what any of them are really intended for. I have fewer suicidal thoughts, or at least the emotions accompanying them are less acute, more measured and rational. (Yes, it's perfectly possible to be both rational and have suicidal thoughts.) The main side effects have been fatigue and odd dreams. If I increase the dose I expect, based on past Rx experiences, to feel less stressed but more drugged. That is a tradeoff I will have to consider. I can't predict what I will decide. Given the extremely low cost of lithium and its widely acknowledged benefits in even small doses, I may just stick to the latter and accept the modest results that accrue."

Lifesaver · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Unbelievable results within a month. Taken with seroquel to sleep I AM A SURVIVOR. 600mg lithium ER is miracle for me and my bipolar !!! THANK YOU"

mamatango June 25, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was so nervous about taking Lithium for my bipolar. I had read far too much, the good, the bad the ugly. I was worried about what this medication would do to my body, my kidneys etc., and more superficial concerns about weight gain and hair loss. I have been taking lithium for approx 1.5 years now. Aside from a very slight tremble when I sometimes drink, the side effects have been minimal. I'd estimate I have put on approx 1 stone since starting the medication, but that is something that I am in a good mindset now to tackle, and think I can lose. No problems so far with skin and sun sensitivity. The regular blood tests are important, and come around quickly, but so far results have been in the normal range. I feel like I have my life back. My marriage was in real danger, I couldn't enjoy parenting my children, now I feel I am back in control. When I think of all the trepidation I felt at the start of this journey, I wish I could tell earlier self to give it a go, things are going to be okay."

Donny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium SAVED MY LIFE. I was crazy. Drugs, alcohol, mania, impulse. I started lithium and 3 months later I'm myself again, I love life and I love being me again. The only downside is frequent labs and consistent water intake. Otherwise, I'm loving it."

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Makes me feel like there is a dull weight on my head, memory loss, sleepless nights."

alias · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "So I had a hypermanic episode on just 5-10mg of lexapro was then diagnosed with atypical bipolar disorder and now I have to be on mood stabilizers. Basically I think lithium may have made me more irritable and it also gave me bad dandruff. iIswitched to latuda instead."

Holly June 14, 2019

For Depression: "I've been on 400mg lithium carbonate for nearly a year, before that I was getting episodes of suicidal depression every 3 or 4 months despite being on anti-depressants. Since I went on lithium I haven't had anything but slight low mood. I get a hand tremor at times, mild muscle pain and heartburn, but it's a lot preferable to being in that dark pit of despair."

aborigine-john June 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've never been to a psychiatrist. However I've had a baby die, and I've been through the worst grief, and denial of grief. I've been deeply sad and broken. I've shut down emotions out of fear of being unemployable and not being able to care for my other children. This 30 years compressed into a deadly human, edgy and angry. So I started taking over the counter lithium, 5mg, and felt my brain swirl into a fluid relaxed state, like a lava lamp, or shimmering mirages over a landscape. Then I bought 50g of lithium chloride, a simple salt of lithium, like sodium chloride. I put 10-20 mgs of this in a carafe of water and drink it throughout the day. The water tastes very good. To close this, I want to make it clear to everyone that lithium is an essential element that everyone needs. If you don't get enough from your environment you will have lithium deficiency. The symptoms of lithium deficiency are bipolar, depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicide; rage, frustration etc"

Andrea · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium worked when all others failed. However, when I first started, I felt a numbness in my thinking. I am an artist and it took away my creativity for about a month but then life went back to normal. I would recommend this as a fist drug though doctors may disagree."

Mags June 7, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Made me feel so, so bad"

Tim · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2019

For Cyclothymic Disorder: "I am on lithium and it did not stop my manic induced insomnia. So my doctor tried Seroquel and now Abilify known to take along with Lithium for mania. My body handles lithium well, especially since my blood-level is only 4L after taking 900 mg daily. I suspect my pdoc will want to increase to 1200 mg but then I will not take Abilify (scary side effects as on most psychotics), all in all I am well balanced (thank to Lithium) except for the insomnia which I hate but nothing is perfect. I have noticed that if I take any amount of alcohol and sweets my hypo-manic phase is not too far behind."

Safe · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2019

For Mania: "Safe is how I feel now when I continue on lithium. I have been diagnosed with bipolar mania and had three hospital stays and a a stint in jail as a result of not taking my meds. For the past three years I have led a normal life taking 1000mg daily. I wouldn't miss my dose because the consequences are not worth it. I can say that my wacky sense of humour and messy around with my kids hasn't been taken away at all, I love laughing and making people laugh and I feel incredible love and sometimes hate. But mostly again I feel safe."

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm sure the doctors are getting bribed to prescribe this pill. This pill is truly did nothing for me"

ow7en · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "After trying Seroquel XR and Lamictal combined together with no effect on my bipolar depression, my doctor started to doubt my bipolar diagnosis. Then, he added lithium carbonate extended release two times a day. Within two weeks, I began to feel significant relief from my depression, suicidal thoughts, and mood swings. And with each day, my functioning and symptoms improves more and more. Lithium medicine saved my life and gave me hope for living a normal life when I never thought I would have one again."

Thom · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed as Bipolar II rapid cycling. Tried many drugs before: Seroquel, Tegretol, Depakote, valproic acid and they weren't so effective because of multiple hospitalizations. Been hospitalised 8 times per 1.5 years and had many med changes. During last stay in hospital, pdoc decided to give me Lithium. My blood tests always showed low lithium levels. So I didn't feel anything, was severely depressed, hopeless about everything. But after 3 weeks my blood tests showed good results and I started to notice a change in my mood. I became more socialised, my mood is much better, I joke more, have more energy, less anxiety and better sleep. For the first time in my life, I can say I feel at peace. Lithium made me slower, but I still feel it's benefits and all this time I didn't have a mood swing. Don't be afraid of this medication, if it helped me, it'll sure benefit you in some way. It's few days since I feel better, but every day I feel better and better."

ah93 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 11, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is a wonder drug for bipolar, my child is sane because of it."

Liv · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed type 2 bipolar and PTSD a few years ago, I'd tried four alternative medications before I found Lithium. I've found it to have by far the least side effects, although like all other mood stabilisers and antipsychotics I've tried it does pull all moods into the middle of the spectrum and flatten things out. Lithium saved my life when I first began it, but I find it easy to feel hazy and restless nowadays. Still, highly recommend it! Feeling next to nothing is better than feeling suicidal."

bigsadguy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm not really sure about this. Sure it's good not to be manic, but it lengthens my depressive cycles, i.e. there is no up(mania), there's a brief period of stability that goes away almost immediately, and LONG depressive cycles to the point where I would rather be untreated. Mania may not be ideal but it's better than the long depressive phase A bleak life is what Lithium offers me personally."

NHelm March 8, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "My diagnosis is Bipolar I with PTSD. I have a tendency toward mixed episodes and psychotic features. I found relief with lithium when nothing else worked. Other drugs like Lamictal gave me horrible cognitive side effects. I couldn't finish sentences or remember things that happened minutes ago. That was not the case with Lithium. I took Lithium for the first time during inpatient for a severe mixed episode and the difference was like night and day. It was like taking a painkiller when in severe pain. Within thirty minutes I felt what I can only describe as RELIEF. I've never had such a rapid and drastic reduction in symptoms. There is a reason Lithium is considered the "gold standard" in treating bipolar disorder. Everyone is different and some experience bad side effects with little relief on this medication, however I would recommend at least trying it if your doctor prescribes it. The only side effect I experience is increased thirst- a small price to pay for getting my life back."

Danjwp January 25, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar 2 disorder and my psychiatrist prescribed me lithium. Have already been on antipsychotics but we were intending on switching medication. I also have PTSD. Day 5 on lithium and it has noticeably made my PTSD and associated ‘mental pain’ far worse and far more distracting and disabling. The effects of this is reduced motivation, increased tiredness, loss of smooth social skills, impaired cognitive functions. It’s not as severe as you may think, I can still function, but it has made living less pleasant and made it harder to get things done. I also experienced hand tremors for a few minutes which were unpleasant. Overall I would say it has an emotional numbing effect which detaches you from feeling things strongly so it is more difficult to function and interact with life. If you experience mania and say experience happiness far too strongly it could be helpful, but other medications (antipsychotics) are better (in my experience)."

Panda · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2019

For Depression: "Serious cognitive problems surfacing after three weeks, trouble recalling a word, name or phrase. This has never happened to me....talking to my dr today. It’s like fast onset Alzheimer’s. Terrifying. Only other side effect is nausea which means I can’t eat during the day."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)