User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Cyclothymic Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder
4.5

Summary of Lithium reviews 7.5 281 reviews

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had bad bouts of eratic spending, high sex drive and sudden lows. Luckily my wife stuck by me and got me help. I have been diagnosed bipolar for 5 years but had terrible weight gain and I'm going to seek help to reduce dosage. Thank you."

J (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Good"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

For Depression: "Went to see my psychiatrist and I was a little down because of stuff that's been going on in my life. He said I was going through a depression and prescribed me lithium. I started at 300mg daily with the aim of reaching 900mg after three weeks. The experience has not been a good one so far. My brain is in a constant chemical fog and I lost my mind's sharpness. Everything is more difficult : walking, thinking, talking... I slowed to a crawl and lost my natural love for Life. I took it upon myself to reduce the dosage and withdrawal has been painful. Serious mood swings and thinking impairment. I can't wait for the drug to be out of my system for good. P.S. I take it alongside Risperdal and Celexa, so perhaps the side effects were due to a combination. Your mileage may vary."

Charles120 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

For Depression: "I have treatment resistant severe major depressive disorder, PTSD and OCD. I was on lithium for less than a month when I developed lithium toxicity, it is unknown how this happened. I was in the hospital for 3 days to flush my system out. Next to cymbalta, lithium is the worst experience I've had with a psych med. I have been on over 20 different meds for my mental health and they do not work for me. Next up electro-convulsive therapy."

fibrodoll (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has been very helpful and it has really helped the depression side of bipolar II. No more suicidal thoughts (which no other medicine has this benefit!) and quality of life has gone up. It has stabilized my mood, and the hypo-mania with severe depression (psychotic features) I have been on lithium for about 5 months and the benefits started to show after 3 months of being on it. if you are starting this, be patient, results are not immediate."

Ava (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had high hopes for this drug as I had heard so many great things about it especially for people who are seriously in the throes of major depression and/or have and are experiencing a lot in their lives on a regular. However, sadly it really didn't do much for me. I just felt flat, not happy, not sad but still sad if that makes any sense, and somewhat neutral. Now I thought that I would prefer to be neutral but it's like I didn't care, didn't feel, everything was whatever. On top of that it made me go to the bathroom a lot. I already drink about 6-8 bottles per day and had had to go up to 8-10. My system just couldn't handle this drug and like I said, no real relief. I also want to add that this was my second time trying this drug and likely my last. Additionally, the 1st time I was prescribed 600mg, the second time 1200mg. Didn't matter either way, it just makes me not care and that's already part of my problem."

LdyLamentine (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on lithium for 5 years and it’s kept me well for the most part, episodes have on been hypo manic and partially brought on by choices I made. The drug is great at keeping moods stable. Side effects for men are : easy to vomit, excessive urination and I get thirsty. I can deal with those knowing I don’t have to experience the extreme highs and lows of bi polar whole on lithium. I currently take 1500mg and don’t use any other drugs and it works great !"

BradV May 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "After numerous hospitalizations and medications I was prescribed lithium. I remember it so clearly while I was in the hospital. After taking it my brain literally felt like it was in a car accident. I asked my Dr Does this mean it working my brain was literally sore. He laughed nicely and said yes... I could actually hear and process what people were saying without interrupting them. My mind was calm and my brain was processing everything. I do not know why the medical community does not prescribe lithium more. I started out on 900 milligrams and now I only need 300 milligrams a day along with 150 of wellbutrin for weight stabilization and depression. It not only work for Bipolar I also have borderline personality disorder issues. Self harm, drugs alcohol etc. Scientists even say we all need low doses of lithium research it for yourself and God bless to all who need to be cured."

Finally cured April 24, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started 900 mgs per day a week ago and I hate it! I noticed so far a slight difference in mood for the better. The side effects are horrible......especially having headaches all the time. Other problems are stomach ache and ready to barf any second, extreme thirst, morning dry mouth, big raised welts on upper chest and face, painful rash now starting, night sweats--wake up completely soaked so not sleeping thru night. Ugh it goes on...sharp shooting pain on right side about where the liver is, heart beats really hard, having a hard time breathing-my lungs hurt. This all scares me so much. It's not worth it to take a medication that does all this to me on an everyday basis. I wish there was another stabilizer, something else to take without all this...."

ZIB (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm a teenager with type 2 bipolar disorder and I've been on lithium and luvox for over 4 years and its worked wonders for me. I'd recommend this to anyone. Over the course of 3 years prior to this medication I was hospitalized 4 times due to suicide attempts and after being on lithium I haven't been hospitalized since. The only downside that I have had is extreme thirst, and 0 sex drive."

ellsss (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Honestly this is the most effective drug by far! I am so calm and my thinking is so much more organized. All the cry babies whining about the blood tests are ridiculous. This medicine is awesome. Don't give up on the drug you have to give it time. The only downfall is getting to a serum level that works for you. I'm on 1200mg 0.7 and that seems to be working just fine. Keep your head up and give it at least 3 months."

RetroR (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was taking regular lithium before lithobid. We switched to lithobid thinking the extended release would be easier on my body. I had nothing but problems after switching to lithobid; for some reason my body rejected this drug when lithium was always good to me. Six months later I moved and switched pharmacies and due to a pharmacy error I got 300mg of lithobid instead of my prescribed 1500mg. They couldn't give me more but for some reason were able to give me 1200mg of lithium. After just two weeks of being on 1200 lithium and 300 lithobid, people started telling me I seemed like myself again. And I was feeling much better. My anxiety was way down and I wasn't having strange spikes into delirium. So I don't know why, but lithobid was a completely useless drug for me, while lithium did its job. They should be the same thing, right? But if you're having problems on lithobid, I guess know that it's possible for you to react to it differently than plain ol' lithium."

L (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Worked fine at first, but my Dr. constantly messed w/ the dose (15-20 changes in 2 years) to keep my lithium levels consistent. I ended up w/ almost every side effect (hair loss & tremors were most severe) and it just stopped working altogether. My episodes were worse than ever and I ended up being hospitalized from being put on too high of a dose (vomiting blood & lithium level was at 2.4 instead of 1.0) Eventually I just stopped taking it on my own and switched doctors. It might have worked well if I had a more responsible doctor to monitor everything, but I’m too shell-shocked to give it another go :/"

Cboxjett March 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking lithium when I was about 24 yrs old. It did help my mania and depression. I decided about a year later that I didn't need it anymore so I stopped taking it. I went manic almost immediately and ended up in the hospital for 3 months. I have now been on lithium for over 40 years and no mania or depression has come back although I really enjoyed the mania part. Getting the levels right is really important and it takes time. I've read some other comment on here where people are saying they've tried it for a few months and quit....lithium takes about a year to feel like normal, at least it did for me."

KC (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2018

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started having severe depression in 1971b(suicidal ideations) followed by manic episodes that ended in psychosis, jail and mental institutions. I held the manic episodes at bay by consuming large amounts of alcohol. After a hospitalization in 1979 for depression, I was prescribed lithium. I quit taking lithium once in 1983 to go natural and wound up in the puzzle house. I have been taking it ever since (1200 mg/ day) and have experienced no perceptible side effects. I just had blood work done and have normal kidney and liver function. I did quit drinking and I now exercise regularly. I am now retired after a successful marriage and career. I have lived a good life."

tjj1952 (taken for 10 years or more) February 20, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium again now for few years. I was able to wean off of it a long time ago under doctors supervision. I do experience slight tremors in my fingers but I honestly can say hand on heart its brilliant at keeping the manic episodes at bay. Now for the depression episodes my psychiatrist added Sertraline 150mg and 100mg Lamictal which the three make a super combo one for mania, two for depression. I have been episode free now for several years. I cannot say anything bad about Lithium it has been a life saver for me. And of course thanks be to God for His help."

MaureenL (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I wrote a review in the lamotrigen review area also. I was on lithium for 30 years. It is so important to get blood tests for kidney, thyroid function every 6 months. My kidneys did well for those years until 2014 when creatinine level increased by .1. This is a big deal. That increase threw me into 3 CKD. Dr took me off lithium to lamotrigen and I am so pleased. Lithium caused extreme thirst and Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus which is a rare kidney disease. About Bi-Polar disease, the lithium worked wonders and I had no episodes in all those years. Bi Polar episodes are horrible and I thank lithium for protecting me against those. I have to deal with kidney disease now, you have to weigh the pros and cons."

Brimun (taken for 10 years or more) February 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Darius, Wellbutrin is stimulant based, so it has potential to put someone with BiPolar into mania (which includes paranoia). I was on it at one point and it caused extreme paranoia and hallucinations. I'm not a medical professional but I would try another antidepressant. Please never stop taking a drug without talking to your doctor first. It's dangerous. To all: I've been on lithium for about a month at 900 mg. I'm not myself. I'm so spacey and am just numb. If this is an antidepressant, I don't feel happy at all. I'm nauseous all the time which is affecting my ability to perform well in school. (hard to concentrate on school work when you feel like you're going to barf at any second all the time). I have hallucinations where objects, walls, etc. stretch taller and wider than they are and move around. I emailed my doctor tonight. I hate this drug. The only positive is that most days (when nausea hasn't kept me up all night) I can wake up early in the morning."

Gaffney T. (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on lithium 450 mg with Wellbutrin XL 300 mg after trying almost all meds for bipolar 2 disorder. I kinda felt controlled by it and one day was talking to myself for 8 hours because I was at work and had nothing to do. Every since that day I've felt very uncomfortable as everywhere I go and felt like and knew everybody was watching and looking at me. The more I think about it the worst it gets. I can’t even stop at a red light without being very uncomfortable feeling like every one is looking at me and I can’t be still or make eye contact much and when I do it’s the wrong time and awkward. So I stop taking the lithium and I’ve felt worst and worst as the days go by. I can’t stop thinking about it and that makes it worst everyday. Can someone please help me and tell me what I need to do"

Darius11 January 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking lithium for 7 years now and it has honestly saved my life. I have bipolar disorder and lithium has kept me on track, prior to taking the medicine I was having an extremely difficult time battling depression and mania. The only thing I’ve noticed is that I get pretty thirsty and have to drink a lot of water, but nothing serious. I had people try to shame me so that I wouldn’t take this drug, but I wouldn’t be here without it."

Margaret2611 January 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have taken it for 3 days and feel normal. 125 mg lithium and 2.5 mg per day of lexapro for border line and depression. I used to get aggressive, agitated, suicidal, depression and isolated as I had a lot of fear of people. No side effects except for urinating a lot at night and some broken sleep. Only early days. Also have more energy. My dose is low due to my resistance of not wanting to put prescription drugs into my body. I am very glad I made the decision to take lithium. I felt the benefit on the first day. On the second day I started to feel agitated again at 4.30pm. Today was another great day. My fear of people and not wanting to do anything all day and negative thoughts have disappeared. I can't believe it."

Reginastone January 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have now been on lithium for 6 months. I am diagnosed with bipolar I. I had a mania in Nov so I increase my dose from 600 mg to 900 mg. and I doubled my seroquel dose. It took me a few weeks to recover but I am feeling better than ever. I will continue to monitor my sleep and make sure to increase my dose if I am not sleeping as thy is a sign for me that I'm manic. But so far I haven't felt as good as this since before I was diagnosed bp 13 years ago. Lithium has truly given me my life back. I have gained a bit of weight but I am unsure as to if this is from lithium or just holiday binge eating and not exercising enough. I am so grateful to have found lithium and when I use it in combo with seroquel it works like a charm. I will keep updating on effects"

Rachaelgod January 3, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I loathe lithium. I shortens lifespan."

Maimed (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Lithium has finally pulled me out of a constant rapid cycling mixed state, which consisted of depression, paranoia, psychosis, agitation and extreme anxiety. I occasionally feel poorly in hot environments, nausea and dizziness. I think I get some fluid retention in the heat I didn't get prior to lithium. I was very unwell before starting this drug, and it has made me feel a lot better mentally, more stable and calmed down."

cobweb (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "My whole life I have struggled with Bipolar disorder having unstable moods and SEVERE bipolar depression. I have been on TONS of different medications for it. All of them has crazy side effects and none seemed to work. A month ago I got prescribed lithium and it seems to be working super well. I don't have as much up and down moods and I notice my racing thoughts have gone away for the most part. Things that used to bother me barely bother me anymore and I kind of just go with the flow of things now. The only down side of this medication is it makes me feel a little irritated at times and doesn't help with my anxiety as I was hoping. But as for bipolar disorder, I HIGHLY recommend this medication."

Chrissyyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017