User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder
4.5

Summary of Lithium reviews 7.7 257 reviews

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "My whole life I have struggled with Bipolar disorder having unstable moods and SEVERE bipolar depression. I have been on TONS of different medications for it. All of them has crazy side effects and none seemed to work. A month ago I got prescribed lithium and it seems to be working super well. I don't have as much up and down moods and I notice my racing thoughts have gone away for the most part. Things that used to bother me barely bother me anymore and I kind of just go with the flow of things now. The only down side of this medication is it makes me feel a little irritated at times and doesn't help with my anxiety as I was hoping. But as for bipolar disorder, I HIGHLY recommend this medication."

Chrissyyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Gave me my life back"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Have been on lithium for years. Have to be careful of the heat, hot baths or working up a sweat, as the heat effects lithium in your body. I’m on lithium SR it’s kinder than lithicarb. I had no side effects on the extended release. On the lithium I drank litres of water, felt sick to my stomach for days but extended release there was almost no side effects. Its lithium but sustained release, not so hard."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for a month and a half and the only side effects I have is headaches. It is easily managed when keeping up on my water intake. This medicine has been a great for my bipolar 2 disorder. I haven't felt this calm in a very long time. My anxiety is at an all time low as well. My moods aren't all over the place either. I'm so thankful I gave this medicine a chance. It has changed my life in the best way."

Sarahfaye94 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Not happy with the regular diarrhea, thinning hair and general muscle weakness. Also my arthritis has amplified quite a bit since starting Lithium. Not as depressed in general, but I don't feel like myself and I'm really scared this drug will eventually do major damage to my physical health. The long term side effect profile is just awful."

Steve Roulstonski. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have autism spectrum disorder/schizophrenia an this stops me from getting overly angry or aggressive"

angelofobsession September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I commenced lithium in 2012 as I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. Initially starting it wasn't great fun- I experienced a lot of side effects (nausea, tremors, twitching, involuntary lip/tongue biting, vomiting, diarrhoea and thirsty as hell). But today I still take the lithium and I am happy. I work full time and live a fulfilling life. I do experience nausea from time to time which is why I stick to drinking the lithium at night time as it makes me sick to move around too much after drinking it. All in all, happy with it. Sadly I have missed doses at times (no more than 2 days in a row) which brings back some of the side effects when taking it again."

Mezzzzzzzzz August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was on venlafaxine and seroquel for about a year, and since it wasn't making much difference to my emotional state nor reducing suicidal ideation, my doctor removed the seroquel and replaced it with lithium. The first two weeks of being on it were possibly the worst two weeks of my life. In that time I slept no more than two hours a night, some nights not sleeping at all. I was incredibly suicidal and my skin all over my body itched. After that two weeks it seemed to flip like a switch and suddenly all I could do was sleep. I'm still on it a few months later and while the negative side effects have calmed down, I don't feel it has improved my mood at all. If anything it's made it flatter."

chrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "This has been very affective at treating my classic bipolar. The only side effects that I have had are GI and thirst. I haven't gained on it and have been taking lithium for ten months. It seems to have helped me lose since I am no longer having the big swings. I feel like I am more in control of the body that I live it, for a change."

Anonymous August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been off all psyche meds and feel awesome. Feeling normal finally. Off thyroid and maintain vitamins. Good news. Doctors can be loose with the Rx pad. Watch out for that."

Odorferous Zephyr (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I hate Lithium. It ruined my life and my body in short amount of time."

88Anonymously88 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I will never take it again took it for 5 wks felt worse than I did I was more depressed isolated myself couldn't function made me feel more suicidal had to go back to hospital my tremors was so bad"

Anonymous 49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been on this medication for 4 days. But I can tell you in these four days I have noticed an incredible difference in my brain function. I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1. I have had around 13 manic episodes with delusions since I was 17. I'm 29 now. I've been treating my condition naturally up until now as I wanted to avoid the side effects of Lithium. But these past few months I have been very sick rapid cycling and not able to sleep. I decided it was either take the lithium or die. Since I've been on it for four days I feel completely calm, focused, balanced. I really do feel like a light has gone on in brain. Like.. This is what it feels like to have a normal brain? I have noticed a coated tongue. And a bit more tired than usual"

Rachaelgod (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium brought me out of my original psychosis. I did well on it. Because it helped to keep my illness in remission, so to speak, I was able to get my BA in psychology and go to graduate school. Seven years after I first took lithium I developed hypothyroidism, which was caused by the Lithium. Luckily it can be easily controlled with synthroid. Twenty-three years later I was diagnosed as having kidney disease, stage 2. This was a direct side effect of Lithium. I no longer take it. The damage to my thyroid and kidneys is irreversible. Luckily I haven't had to go on dialysis. Lithium is a good medication. However, it's side effects can do a lot of harm to the body."

Pete0315 (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have major depression and borderline personality traits (Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) has helped), and chronic suicidal thoughts for over 30 years. I am on Mirtazapine 30mg, Bupropion XL 300mg for over two years. Because of my suicidal thoughts my Dr put me on lithium three weeks ago. She started with 300mg then went up to 600mg. They only bad side affect for me was a very dry mouth. After 2 weeks of being on it it started feeling wonderful! And it helped my suicidal thoughts tremendously. I felt so much better and have more energy ! Then she decided to bump me up to 900mg per day. The only side effect I feel is, I feel like there is pressure on my brain. I'm hoping this is going to go away like my dry mouth. I also am not sleeping well either."

NCmomof2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was dx bipolar I disorder and while I was very reluctant to start lithium & had tried lamictal & trileptal which both gave me bad reactions, I had no choice but to give lithium a try after several back to back hospitalizations. The psych insisted it was safe and I would just need blood tests every 3 months. For the first couple days my blood levels were monitored. Anyway, it wasn't until after a few weeks that I started to feel its benefits. At first I felt no side effects but now I do get a little drowsiness. But that's it. As for mood, it's mostly controlled my mania. I haven't felt so normal in a long time. It's weird to hear your thoughts speaking at a normal pace & tone. @ 900mg a day I also take 15mg Abilify for delusions"

6abe July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on 150mg of lithium for 3 days, after 5 days I'll be on 300mg and then gradually go up. I've suffered from bi polar & depression for over 10 years, I've been on 15 different antidepressants, antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. Nothing seemed to even stabilize me. The past few months I've gotten so bad to where I've thought about suicide constantly. I was so depressed, easily irritated and cried over the littlest thing. Lithium has so far, saved me. I feel the best I've felt in a LONG time! I have no side effect as of yet. My mind is completely cleared of any negative thoughts. Although it's only been 3 days I'm hopeful things will keep getting better from here. I'm so glad I tried lithium!!"

Hgc13 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium - well I didn't think I could be helped but lithium has done that. I have slight dry lips and feel a little sick if I take on an empty stomach without having eaten all day. I thought I'd be dead one day but now feel relaxed and happy and like I can live in the moment. Since been on lithium: I have stopped drinking alcohol (uses to drink a bottle of wine a day ) Stopped smoking cigarettes Stopped taking 2 anti depressants , sertraline and mirtazapine I have lost 6 kg and walk 10km a day. You may need to change some of your friends like me when you realise they're all alcoholics and coke addicts. I feel calm and relaxed and lithium will change my life."

Europeantraveller July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium) for Cluster Headaches: "I've suffered Clusters for 30 years and have tried most meds, this is the first that has worked without massive doses of Prednisone , Indomethacin and O2."

Skirch (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "At first I felt better but the then terrible weakness and tremors. Decided to get off but having unbearable anxiety. I was only on 600mg for two weeks and have dropped it to 300mg and soon to 150mg."

No Lithium (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium made me feel so YUCKY. I don't know how else to describe that. I also felt super lethargic, like I couldn't do the things I needed to do. I also had to pee all the time, even wet the bed once (which I never otherwise do) and was constantly thirsty. I don't feel like I was super stable on it, but it was better than nothing."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on lithium for a week and I already feel great. Grounded in the world and clear headed. I no longer feel I am trapped in a daydream/nightmare. I have no side effects apart from slightly dry lips and this drug will save my life, I have already deferred several decisions to end my life in the hope that I could find a cure for my Bi polar (once at 19 and again at 34) and I am glad I did as I think I have found it. I guess this is how it feels to be normal. I now feel that I can partake in the world rather than being caught in an endless battle of Bi Polar 2 rapid cycling."

Blablablabla May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "It was on a low dose of lithium so it didn't affect my mood that much. It definitely combats suicidal ideation though which was the reason I was put on it. However, the side effects are HORRIBLE. Dry mouth, weight gain, thirst, hand tremors, drowsiness, increased urination, no interest in sex, feeling cold all the time. This morning I passed out due to dehydration. It's not worth it. There are other primary mood stabilizers that you can go on."

Xxcatgxx May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Lithium for about 1.5 months, along with Lamotrigine. As soon as one week, I could tell a difference in myself. I was finally starting to feel like my "normal" self. At the time of starting these medications, I was easily agitated, would get angry at everyone over simple things. I found I was grinding my teeth a lot, trying to cope with my feelings. I was also becoming reclusive, since everything bothered me, I tried to avoid people and things that bothered me, so I would "hide" in my bedroom, and then the depression set in. So far, these two medications have helped wonderfully, and have changed my life!"

EMVW (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Took lithium carbonate. I have PTSD, depression, borderline bipolar.At first, it seemed like a wonder drug for about the first week. Then, out of nowhere, I experienced rapid cycling for the first time in my life. I screamed at the top of my lungs, felt like breaking things for catharsis (which I did on some very inexpensive items) Then after screaming in anger for about ten minutes, I immediately began crying for 30mins. Avoid lithium!!!"

sk0sH (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017