User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Tourette's Syndrome 3 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 318 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had been so unwell off meds for over a year and vomiting daily due to bipolar. I thought vomiting was from physical illness. As soon as i started this med all bp symptoms left AND my stomach is settled. No sexual side effects. Old me is back. No sides! Miracle drug! Weight gain for me will be a pkus not negative"

Yaybdtubfuj December 6, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Olanzapine did not work for me, my psychosis symptoms did not improve at all, if anything it made them worse. It made me constantly dizzy and very tired. I could barely function, or even keep my eyes open, I would sometimes fall asleep sitting up. Constant napping there was no choice. I felt like a zombie with no feelings or emotions which is worse than my original condition imo. And the worst part is you do not have a sex life when on this medication at all! No desire to have sex, it actually hurts to have sex and it's impossible to orgasm I was a pretty small person to begin with around 120-125 and I eat a healthy low carb/sugar diet, no processed foods mostly organic fresh vegtables and oils, never over eating. So when my doctor told me that I would probably gain weight I didn't think it would actually happen but I took it for 7 months and I ended up weighing 166! It was so depressing and now I have permanent stretch marks on my body :( I don't take any medication any more and I honestly feel so much better. Also if you research olanzapine it's a pretty dangerous drug and has killed a lot of people.  "

GoMedFree December 1, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took 3mgs of Zyprexa, contained in Symbyax, nightly for about 6 years. The medicine worked well for the first 2 to 3 years. Around year four I started having severe side effects and did not realize it was from the Zyprexa as it had been working so well. I suffered with increasing seizures for about three more years. Bad ones. I wound up in the hospital emergency room and it was the ER doctor that informed me that the Zyprexa was causing the problem. My regular doctor denied Zyprexa as a contributing factor to my seizures. I quit the Zyprexa cold turkey. To say the least it was an absolutely horrible experience. Wean off this drug over a long period of time and even then get ready for horrendous withdrawal symptoms after your last dose."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "My experience with this neuroleptic is actually a combination of olanzapine 25mg with quetiapine 50mg. My thoughts are definitely not as agitated,am not as angry as i used to be,sometimes though,i feel false,looking at the world,but not really a part of,i know strange..I do not hear voices from my condition.I also take dexedrine for adult ADHD. This drug combination forces you to bed within an hour or so,do to extreme fatigue. I've been taking these antipsychotics for over 2 years.."

Hamerman (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on zyprexa for about 3 months. While it does tame hypomania it tames too much and I don't want to do anything anymore. Sometimes my mouth works like I have Novocaine in my lips and my speech comes out in a mumble. I've gained 10 lbs. Some have said it was prescribed for anxiety but it has made mine worse. I'm afraid of having to do the things that I have to do. I'm not afraid of doing them, mind you, but afraid of *having* to do them. I feel so much pressure about doing things that I'm unable to do them. That's messed up. And that has come on me this past two weeks. Maybe I'm cycling or maybe it's this drug. Still, enough negative to get me off of it."

ashybashy November 21, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on this drug for a manic episode. I was given 15 mg. which did wipe out the mania. Now I'm on the other side, the depressed side. I asked for prozac but the doctors insisted that a low dose of olanzapine would stabilize the depression. My depression is reactive: i sold my house and moved to another state to be closer to my job. I have hardly any friends here as I'm starting over. It remains to be seen if this low dose at 2.5 mg. will help with the depression."

Larasue November 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "Started Zyprexa 5mg for a week, bumped up to 10mg...This medication works well for me. Im able to control my depression & irritability better. Weight gain is fine for me as I only weiged 98 pounds when I started the medication, I am now 108 after two weeks & I am not complaining. I've been getting insomnia since starting the 10mg. I wake up around 12,1 or 2 in the am and cant go back to sleep. Will definitely talk to Psych about this problem"

Gully Goddess 5150 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I love Zyprexa (Olanzapine) it has calmed and removed my insanity. I now longer have panic attacks and irritability. I work in retail and i have been in trouble several times with my managers because i snap at costumers. But with Zyprexa it all went away it was amazing........BUT!!! i have to stop taking it because it caused SO MUCH weight gain. I use to weigh 170lbs and within a year i weigh now 226lbs. I don't even eat that much and i still don't lose weight. there's no point going to the gym and doing cardio because the pill prevents me from losing it. So now i have to ask my doctor to give me a medication that doesn't cause weight gain for i can lose the weight. I am so depressed that i have to stop taking it. it has worked wonders 4 me"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "It worked very well and even boosted my mood. That is, until I had a seizure. The doctors presumed it was caused by this medication"

i didnt want a nickname November 5, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "In 2010 I take Zyprexa 20mg for 2 months. Now I manage to eat one meal a day cause I got diarrhea up to 5 times per day. I'm surprise to be alive. I hate so much what Zyprexa did to me cause it's so awful."

piceli (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 5, 2016

For Insomnia: "Was born with insomnia.Now 57 years and had ZERO SLEEP since the beginning of October 2016, with severe bouts of insomnia since December last year.I'm having this surreal feelings from total lack of sleep.It is now 2:45am.Normally I just lie awake in bed until the birds start to sing.Had been on all available sleeping tablets and now have built up a resistance/tolerance to it, thus the zero sleep.Cannot go to work because of it.I've stumbled upon an olanzapine packet which apparantly was given to me in hospital after I fell 2 storeys high and broke my pelvis in 2 places, broke also my hip, sitting bone and squashed 2 vertebrae.They gave me Olanzapine in hospital to help me lie still flat on my back.I just took 5mg hope for the best please:)"

RixZEROsleepInsomniac November 2, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Amazing drug ! Love it ."

Dibdo (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "For a few days its take major energy at 2.5 mg, but later its make me ever tired and sleepy. I don't know what this drug work."

Unexist October 25, 2016

For Depression: "On this drug which I've taken for a just a few weeks, I have now developed a chipmunk memory. I can barely remember anything past 3 or 4 seconds, and I feel as though I almost can't think or hear my own voice in my head. Hopefully these effects will change when I'm off it, but as of right now, I don't feel quite normal yet."

Mola12 October 21, 2016

For Insomnia: "I am Taking 20mg of Zeprexa & 15mg of Tamazapam. I'm 43 yrs old. Im lucky if I get 1 to 2 hours of a sleep.I just started taking Zeprexa a week ago? Do I have to wait until several weeks for Zeprexa to take effect or Should I try another medication?"

konnan October 19, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "I wasn't prescribed Zyprexa for OCD, but for psychosis. But since I developed OCD on this med, I wanted to warn people. Before Zyprexa I was slightly perfectionist and obsessive, but because of Zyprexa I developed full blown OCD (upon withdrawal). Ever since using Zyprexa I can't function because of obsessions and many other problems that started with Zyprexa. I changed into a completely different person: angry, sad, obsessive, controlling, unkind. Zyprexa is said to cause OCD in some 20% or so of it's users. Please stay away from it if you already have OCD...it may worsen it."

MarianVB October 18, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "after 4 weeks on this medication my partner of 18 years a 35 year old man died from its side effects"

mcdougall rae mich (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was only on the med for a few days when I knew it wasn't the one for me, I felt like I had cement on my veins it was so hard to get out of bed & once I was up I was in such a fog. On top of being super fatigued I was more agitated. I was afraid to reach out to my doctor but I did & I'm glad. Since switching it's a complete 180° in my mood."

Alex123455 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Prescribed Zyprexa after taking Duloxetine/Cymbalta made me suicidal. It did mellow my mood, helped me gain back the 30 lbs I had lost during height of illness. Hated the inability to laugh or cry. Hated the dry mouth. As a dancer the stiff, dry joints were dangerous. I hurt my knee because the extreme change in my flexibility. Took it for 3 months."

Kmotion October 4, 2016

For Depression: "I had severe depression and was told by the psychiatrist that I also have psychosis. Was given 2.5mg of olanzapine. Maybe it helped with psychosis a bit but it made me even more depressed because I kept gaining weight, started to think slower, my vocabulary decreased and I found it difficult to express myself or make jokes. Started to have difficulties with doing my job and comprehending new information. Olanzapine really slows down your cognitive abilities and information processing! I found the benefits not worth the drawbacks and stopped taking it. Now I am taking Cytomel and it has been helping me much more - lost all the weight that I gained, have much more energy during the day, back to normal thinking abilities."

ayahuasca (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

For Paranoid Disorder: "I'm caregiver of my son and this medicine work like magic for him. He is 24 year old"

FrankRaff September 30, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Tourette's Syndrome: "OK here goes. Never written a review about this stuff. I have been on Zyprexa for 20 years and still taking it. I'm 65 years old, and have had Tourette's my whole life (as you all have). Zyprexa has given me more relief than any drug I have ever tried, and I've tried them all to include the Horrible Haldol. I have 2 sons in their 40's and never any sign of Tourette's. I've just had my first grandchild, so I willl pay close attention to him. There has been a price to pay. In the 20 years I've taken Zyprexa I've gained 45 pounds. I don't like it much either, but never seriously tried to lose the weight if it is even possible. In the past couple of years, I've developed Type II diabetes or I should say "pre-diabetic"."

05H-ditty-bopper September 29, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication is terrible. Made me feel drowsy and nauseous and eventually put me into the hospital causing pancreatitis."

t_stiver September 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Replaced seroquel with this med, depression worsened after about a week."

Bobby1234yut September 20, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have used this medication for around two years. It Is very good with helping Schizoid Type Thoughts however i would not recommend the medication as a long term medication due to weight gain and its ability to affect whether or not you can wake up in the morning. It has a tendency to make me fall asleep for two days straight. From - Adult Male who has had sleep cycle problems from a young age."

Olanzapine September 16, 2016