User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation

6.2

Tourette's Syndrome

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 7.2 390 reviews

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love this medication, but I gained 40 pounds in about 4 months! Stayed on it for years and made me feel normal. I, initially, got on it when it was first released and there were no other atypical antipsychotics on the market. When Seroquel was released, then my psychiatrist switched me to it because it showed weight gain, but not as much. He was correct."

WillnBryant (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This has been a miracle drug for me. Ive been on everything, and this drug is like no other. I could care less about the significant weight gain. Im dealing with will power challenges when it comes to food.Zyprexa allows me a LIFE."

Gwem (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "2.5 mgs olanzapine a day, bpd-adhd-gad able to cope with mood swings better as if observing them from a distance. takes the edge off agitation. and have that all important regular sleep cycle. I can't stop eating but haven't gained a lot of weight. symptoms are still present but easier to deal with."

mm31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This taken with Zoloft helped me tremendously with my mdd, ptsd and ocd. Did gain some weight this last time taking it, but mentally feel 98% better"

Katjo80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "This drug has not helped me in any good way. I have gained weight I still hear voices I have become depressed and suicidal thoughts. I feel like I'm sitting at the bottom of the ocean. This drug is not helping at all. I can only imagine the damage it is doing to my body. I have poor bladder control. I slur my words and it drugs me out. My memory has become shocking. And everyday is a struggle to function. I'm so tired :("

Jolenia (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I initially started on 5 mg and after 2 weeks my doctor put me on 10 mg. I feel fantastic. My mind doesn't race anymore and I'm finally sleeping all night long. Short lived groggy feeling in morning, I make myself get up and move, that seems to work the best. The suicidal thoughts are gone and I just feel really good. No weight gain yet but I do exercise 3-4 times a week. Only noticeable side affect is i seem to be thirstier and dry mouth. For my Zyprexa has been amazing!"

Jenduke1970 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was put on this medication when I was 19, 25 years ago, I had a problem experimenting with hallucingenics in my teens, after a really bad trip when I was 18, that wouldn' t go away a team of doctors suggested this drug. If only I had have known that it would be thee most addictive substance I'd ever met I'd have left well enough alone. I gained so much weight, waking up in the middle of the night craving complex carbs and sugars, couldn't get back to sleep til I felt full which took a lot of eating as you never feel full while on zeprexa. It destroyed all of my epthatic traits that made me the type of person I liked to be, caring, open minded. And coming off of heroin was a million times easier."

swimming23 October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Agitation: "My 9 year old son was placed on this medication a few weeks ago because of violent outbursts, agitation, insomnia and anxiety. He has high functioning autism. He had been placed on Respiradol with few improvements. Zypreza has been a game changer for my son Jake. He takes 5mg about an hour before bed. He is sleeping through the night (in 9 years he has never slept through the night). He is happy and content. No more violent out bursts. He is eating non stop (he would barely eat prior to medication). Very happy with the results that Jake is seeing on this medication and he has had no side effects outside of being hungry and eating more."

Jakes mom (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "I have had a long history of depression, despair and anguish. For a long period of time I felt like I had failed. I was dying, not physically but we are more than physical creatures. I used to be extremely intense, This culminated in a psychotic episode and I was institutionalized in a psychiatric ward. I was told by a doctor to take zyprexa on the first night. Following this the next couple of days were a blur waking to eat and take medication is all I remember. Long story short, I have had the happiest, most productive and most stable years of my life, although I don't feel as intellectually sharp as once it is small price to pay I feel. But I am considering lowering my dose. Currently on 10mg at night."

firewalker (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have suffered from terrible insomnia for quite some time. Every time I get better, then my body becomes used to it. Currently I take 5mg with 50mg Serequel and 15mg Midozalm. This is a lot of medication and keep in constant contact with my Docters. "

CeltBru September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)"

Costa pork (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had been medication free for over 10 years when a series of traumatic events escalated in full blown psychosis and deep depression. I was suicidal, unable to sleep and experiencing 6 hour long panic attacks. I was put on olanzapine 5mg at night and have been taking it for just over 1 year. I was able to sleep through and the nightmarish world I inhabited slowly began to clear like a thick fog. At the time I thought there was no way I would make it out alive! The deep depression took longer to lift and after no luck combining it with proxac or citalopram I hit on the right combination with Effexor 225mg. Still, the Olanzapine was my 'daylight' drug. Weight gain has been an issue but my appetite is more manageable now and am exercising."

BPGirl40 September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "They would give it to me every day for mania and I then I developed an allergy to it and it gives you very bad mood swings"

Eggio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Zyprexa withdrawal is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my 55 year old life. I took 2.5 mg for 6 years. Sure it helped me sleep for a few months and that is why I did not know what was causing the terrible grief and over all health problems I was experiencing. I was fainting without warning because of this drug. It ruined my life and I have not touched zyprexa in almost 2 years! It is a drug so terrible it should not be prescribed to anybody. The makers of this drug should be totally ashamed of themselves. They really should be punished for what they have done and continue doing to peoples lives with this drug. No joke."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Best anti psychoticI've tried. On 5mg, also on 225mg Venlafaxine for C-PTSD (helps with depression & anxiety). Best combo I've had to date, but doesn't make me energetic, but alleviates the C-PTSD, BPD and IBS, so it's a winner."

richstad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "I am a social worker trying to help Schizophrenic persons for the past over 4 years. Antipsychotics suitable and effective for one person may not be suitable for other. For instance, Olanzapine may be suitable and effective for some may not be suitable for others. Therefore it is very important to closely observe the behavior of the person. I know of couple of persons who have taking Olanzapine for at least over three years and it is working perfectly fine without weight gain and the blood reports are normal."

KB Wakhley September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "I was hospitalized because of a brief psychotic episode following some traumatic events in my life, one of which was contracting Stage 3 Lyme Disease. They put me on Zyprexa 5 mg. It worked for a few months, but the brain fog and lethargy was causing problems at work so I decided to taper down to 2.5 mg and then stop. I really wish my doctor told me not to go from 2.5 immediately to zero because the withdrawal has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. Scary dreams, non-stop anxiety, really jumpy, headaches, depression, and my brain fog has never been worse. I finally knuckled under and am taking 0.6 mg just to take the edge off. I don't want to discourage others seeking help but stay away from Zyprexa!"

theriddler (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take 5mg of olanzapine at night with 250mg of lamictal, the olanzapine has been great to ease my manic episode. My hearing voices and racing thoughts have eased and the only side effect other than the slight zombie feeling and drowsiness at night was I am feeling more thirsty more often. And my hunger has actually decreased not increased as others have had."

dmmw1983 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "In the beginning I really needed it at 5mg I was all over the place with mood and psychosis. After being on it for 7 years at different doses I've come to the point were I feel only the side effects and numb emotions. I want to feel again so I've been slowly withdrawaling I'm down to 7.5mg, if you decide to come off it do it slow and give your mind and body time to adjust before going down again."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "Zyprexa doesn't work well with any antidepressants - be careful - but it can work used together with lithium, depakote, or lamotrigine. The serotonin guided anti-depressants activate mania and rapid thinking, and fuel anxiety, drugs such as lexapro - taken with anti-psychotics - can be a nightmare. In mixed diagnostics such as schizoaffective, there are many bypasses and alternate routes - i.e., I take a minimum of risperdal, which helps with an additional foundation for more centeredness and 'structure,' - and keeps my head clearer on 1.5 mgs; and I also take 300 mgs seroquel XR, to act, not only as a bipolar safe keeper, but also as an anti-depressant. If you're looking for Olanzapine with an anti-depressant edge, try bipolar meds."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medication was great. My anxiety was probably the lowest it was ever when I was on Zyprexa. Only thing was that the risks outweighed the benefits. I'm already short and overweight, with high cholesterol and triglycerides. So I stopped Zyprexa. I've tried every drug out there (literally, even the old typical antipsychotics) and Zyprexa is comparable to Haldol in effectiveness. Haldol was once considered the "gold" standard of antispsychotics. The other thing to worry about was my heart murmur. These atypicals can knock your heart out of rhythm."

HPS Amabael (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I just got prescribed this medication. 10mg to start. I'm taking it for my extremely high anxiety and bi polar depression. I have read a lot of review's, so I will definitely stay away from CARBS!! Hoping this will give me my life back! I'll return in 5 days and give a review on how I'm feeling. Wish me luck! 8/18/17 New update on taking the Zyprexa. Today is day 8 on the the Zyprexa and I have to say, I honestly feel like my old self again. I'm happy, my mood is stable I'm sleeping great! I'm more active now than I've ever been since my 20's. So far I can honestly say this medication is working great for me. I'm actually excited about life again! Also, no weight gain so far and no increased cravings of food."

KayBling August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "I was only on Zyprexa for 10 days but it made me so tired I couldn't even function. All I wanted to do was sleep all day. And it made my depression worse. I was so depressed by that 10th day that I almost quit my job because I just felt like I couldn't handle any stress at all. So glad I stopped taking this drug."

cmac527 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Very negative experience; I was on this medication for about 6 months to help with my anxiety levels and emotional turbulence. At the beginning of starting this medication I was underweight, six months on I gained a lot of weight, I looked chubby, especially in my face. I was not happy with this significant weight gain, I also didn't feel it was helping with my mental health either. I stopped taking Olanzapine nearly a year and a half ago, I have been working very hard to loose weight and I'm getting there. However my self esteem has shattered, I don't like my body and I am very self conscious - this is all due to the weight gain from Olanzapine. My advice is that if you are offered this medication, do your research first & exercise."

Bex10 July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "I used to hear conversations which were not real. I used to think people are actually following me and every body knew what I am doing. In other words, I felt very uncertain about my privacy. I have taken olanzapine for almost a year. I have completely recovered from hallicuinations. I am still taking medicines though. I am from Nepal."

bhai1 July 18, 2017