User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

6.1
Tourette's Syndrome 3 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 367 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "I was only on Zyprexa for 10 days but it made me so tired I couldn't even function. All I wanted to do was sleep all day. And it made my depression worse. I was so depressed by that 10th day that I almost quit my job because I just felt like I couldn't handle any stress at all. So glad I stopped taking this drug."

cmac527 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Very negative experience; I was on this medication for about 6 months to help with my anxiety levels and emotional turbulence. At the beginning of starting this medication I was underweight, six months on I gained a lot of weight, I looked chubby, especially in my face. I was not happy with this significant weight gain, I also didn't feel it was helping with my mental health either. I stopped taking Olanzapine nearly a year and a half ago, I have been working very hard to loose weight and I'm getting there. However my self esteem has shattered, I don't like my body and I am very self conscious - this is all due to the weight gain from Olanzapine. My advice is that if you are offered this medication, do your research first & exercise."

Bex10 July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "Although it started off good, this med slowly made me develop Akathisia to the point of it being unbearable. I started off on 10mg and it was increased to 15mg, by the end of it I wanted to amputate my legs just to make the feeling go away. I was 24/7 agitated, restless, constantly pacing around and fidgeting, getting into arguments and screaming at people. My doctor prescribed Clonazepam but it did nothing to take it away. Eventually I had enough and stopped taking Zyprexa altogether, and within only 3 days all of these symptoms disappeared and I was back to normal. By the end of it, even though I was only on it for 3 weeks, I had gained 30 pounds. Awful experience."

voskhod (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Works wonderfully for anxiety and works fast. Does help together with Prozac for depression."

Biancapixi July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was prescribed med to treat Bipolar 2. Even taking half a dose, meds made me drowsy, actually more like sedated, as some call it "zombie feel". On the third day, I noticed short term memory loss and I couldn't articulate my thoughts efficiently, had this cloudy, foggy mind. I was hoping meds my body would adjust but even after couple of weeks, I seemed the side affects got more severe. Plus I gained 5lbs in a week and noticed my energy level was down, HR up. I'm an Ironman triathlete so I copiously monitor my health and this drug decreases my performance. Finally, I had to call my Dr to get another option. It did calm me down and I didn't have any mania or depression, just the side effects were to great for me to continue."

Exos (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on Zyprexa after my dad got murdered. It worked ok for that medicated Zombie feel. I took up to 20mg day. Gained so much weight that I wore a waist size 40 pants. Had to stop after 6 years. Doc told me to taper off it in 2 weeks! NO BUENO!!! Should have tapered off in a year+. Been in bed for 8+months with horrific post withdrawal symptoms. Never had heart problems before Zyprexa! Now I have afib and sinus tachycardia, and TD, involuntary muscle spasms are so painful! People notice when I stick my tongue out, biting it hours a day, sexy. Its killing me slowly as Eli Lilly makes $12Mil a day killing! I use Melatonin for sleep, is Z even approved for sleep? RESEARCH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT, CUZ IT DOES!!"

Bonn Bonn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've had mostly positive experience with the exception of a lot of weight gain. Definitely stopped the depression/manic cycles. Does make me sleepy but my doctor prescribed provigil which really helped. I give this med a positive grade especially for bipolar with psychotic episodes."

Cabinetman June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started on this as I was psychotic and had severe depression. I was seeing things. This med was great after it was upped to 15 mg but now after 2 months not working so great. Luckily I'm not seeing things but no energy and weight has ballooned. I can't stop eating. So don't know what to do. Gained 70 pounds in a couple months"

Twasabug May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Avoid this like the plague! I have had irreversible damage to my metabolic system because of this medication including my thyroid. Evidence came out after the medications release that they hid these symptoms to get a quick release. Gained 30lbs in 2 months on this. I weaned off 10 years ago and am still dealing with the ramifications of this drug. Not worth it."

Zzzach (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was on this for maybe 6 months 2 years ago. I went from 121 to 184 in less then 3 months. I was eating constantly even after I had dinner I would be hungry 15 minutes later. If your doctor wants you to take this DON'T. It's easy for the weight to come but harder to make the weight go away."

Cinn Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication saved my life, after years of closet OCD, and anxiety I was suicidal an couldn't take one more day. They started me at 5 mg an it's never been upped, my OCD is non existent an I finally feel happy and comfortable in my own skin!!! I smile!!! No weight gain (but I am gluten free and an avid walker) I still have occasional panic attacks I take xanax for, but this med has made them minimal. It has helped my head to toe pain from depression as well. I get up at 6 am everyday and not sleeping all day like some have said, I work a full time job an take care of kids with no side effects at 5 mg."

Mom24/7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "At the age of 12 I was forced to take olanzapine at 15mg for 3 years until I stopped the medication cold turkey against psychiatrists orders. I slept on average 14 hours a day and my emotional state was flatlined for the duration of those 3 years. I experienced several side effects that impacted my life in more ways than I can explain. Constant shaking, excessive weight gain and so many more. I remember accidentally taking a double dose and suffering the most intense pain I have ever experienced in my life to this day. This is the worst drug I have ever had the misfortune to take and I think they need to stop giving it to children and adolescents immediately."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "No nothing good, just constant fatigue and weight gain. It makes me sleepy as hell and makes me even more of a zombie."

automatonnn May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Avoid at all costs - Weight gain is insane. Hungry all of the time, can't stop eating even when full, and that awful feeling afterwards. BE AWARE - coming off of this is hell, too. Be very careful, and come off of this very slowly."

Matty723 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was given olanzipine for something other than my borderline personality disorder although I've not been told what. I'm on 10mg and I'm unsure whether it's the olanzipine alone, whether it's the venlafaxine I'm on or whether it's the combination of the 2, but when I fall asleep, I'm out cold. I don't turn over or move and can sleep for over a day if I don't set any alarms. But the bad thing is that when I wake up I still feel tired and worn out."

keen2000 May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "OK I've been on zyprexa going on 7 months at 20mg a day and it's the best thing I've done to get help with bipolar disorder. The only down fall is the weight gain but for me to stay sane and be happy it's worth it. Since being on zyprexa I've been able to socialize again with other people and do not stay in my bedroom all day and night. Thank God for helping me "

Ckelly8158 May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medication is very effective in making me have a mainly normal day. It does make me feel drowsy at when I first wake up but I do not hear any voices or have any racing thoughts or other disturbances throughout the day. I am also able to sleep well. I do however notice a difference in between being on 15mg versus 10mg. I need the higher dose for it to be as effective, I was still having some disturbances on the lower dose."

Anonymous April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "You all seem like a bunch of moan bags. Sick and glad of your misery. Suck it up and get it on. ITS AN AID NOT A HAPPY PILL. We were born with this condition and it is there to help us."

Snto April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for : "I've had insomnia off and on since my daughter was born 11 years ago. I've tried everything under the sun for my insomnia. I started zyprexa 6 weeks ago, currently taking 30mg a night, and I can honestly say I feel like a new person. I'm sleeping about 9.5 hours a night now and feel great when I wake up! It does make me feel hungrier but I workout daily and stick to just 3 meals a day with no snacking in between and my weight is fine."

Rachel0123 April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "The side effect have taken over"

Lucious April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Its good for preventing psychosis. The only side effects I am having is I sleep a lot and can't control poop for long and end up pooping in my pants sometimes. Btw I am taking this medication for one year."

Gaurav Rai April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Zyprexa for a few years now and it definitely helping me. I now take Celexa, Wellbutirn, Zyprexa and Xanax. I feel back to my old self again. Very pleased!!"

Destry (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia: "My quality of live has improved significantly on this medication. It has calmed my voices a lot and helps me to sleep at night. The weight gain is a problem but I guess I don't mind it because I am feeling so much better. The hallucinations and delusions are less frequent and I can think clearly and get on with other things. I also don't wake up with that hangover-like-effect in the morning. I think I have found my miracle drug."

Darkhorse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017