User Reviews for Olanzapine

6.3

Tourette's Syndrome

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 6.7 441 reviews

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Olanzapine (Brand Name Zyprexa) is a terrific medication that I settled on after trying every single antipsychotic (except Clozaril) with poor, sometimes intolerable results. I was initially scared of the radical weight gain I'd heard about, but when I actually started taking it, I found that I actually lost 5-10 pounds! So definitely don't discount this drug due to weight gain...it's different for everybody. It does cause daytime sedation, but after being hospitalized 12 times, I gave up on trying to stay slim or going back to work one day, and "gave in" to the olanzapine...it was always the one drug I wanted to reach for when in any uncomfortable state of mind, and that told me that it was the drug for me. I take 7.5 mg and it helps both with psychotic symptoms such as thought disorganization and delusions, and with mood stabilization, both are which are part of my Schizoaffective Disorder. I highly recommend you give this medicine a try to ease and comfort your mind."

Nonaraza (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Huge weight gain and agitation"

Taylormade May 14, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "After luckily failed suicide attempt I got prescribed Olanzapine. Only 5mg does a significant relief for me. Had been suffering of depression and hypomanic episodes but after taking only 5mg of Olanzapine I feel completely different - no more mood swings at all. I feel like a normal person. This medication saved and even improved the quality of the life I'm living at the moment. Beside Olanzapine I got prescribed antidepressant Escitaloprame which also works great in treating Bipolar disorder."

BipolarFree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Out of the 4 anti psychotics I tried this one worked wonders for me. I was diagnosed back in 2011 for a psychotic episode and developed bi polar psychosis. Took 5mgs for years and I was feeling great. The only thing is that I would have some tactile hallucinations but wouldn’t hear any voices. I would just feel like a crazy maniac that wouldn’t sleep for days before going on zyprexa. Anyways I went off of it and then a year later I am here taking it again because I just can’t stand my anxiety and delusions and mood swings. I mix it with seroquel sometimes. Anyways this drug works wonders. I don’t get an increased appetite. The only problem is that when I wake up I don’t feel like eating anything so I end up eating at 2pm. The side effects for me are decreased appetite and some fatigue but other than that, I can finally enjoy life again. Remember that it takes a few weeks for it to take full effects and side effects do become more tolerable through time."

Dimitri May 5, 2018

For Agitation: "I found Zyprexa the best medicine for anxiety/ panic and giving good night sleep. On my worst mornings I took 2.5 mg extra and it took my morning anxiety away very quickly. I have taken clonazepam for many years and still suffer from anxiety and heart palpitations. My doctor has put me on Lexapro also for my depression. I have found Zyprexa very helpful, but I am not taking it continuously because of weight gain."

Snoopy1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication would receive a negative review if possible. The primary reason I hate this medication is because the weight gain, diabetes and withdrawal symptoms. You see I started taking this thinking "well...if I gain to much weight I can always stop." Think again. I literally wouldn't sleep for days."

William (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My stomach is spilling over Instead of my mind for once. My head is no longer a circus, A tent of sad clowns and unruly animals. Uni-cycling on a tightrope Between intelligence and insanity Has never been so balanced."

vernacularacrobat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Weight gain unbelievable. Killed thyroid, now on synthroid. Bed wetting and very hard to wake up in morning. Withdrawal horrible. Don't take this."

Sarah's grandma (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

For Insomnia: "I take 10mg late evenings alongside my anti depressant called Depokote...Makes me tired and quickly settles me down 1hr then quality sleep normally. Have weird dreams and lots of dreaming seemingly. Appetite wise I'm seemingly feeling constantly hungry and therefore doubling my usual daily ifood intake so weight gained real quick... How can I lose it again whilst on olanzipine ?"

Scadders (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My psychiatrist put me on 10 mg of Zyprexa and 20 mg of Prozac. He said those two meds are supposed to work well together. After two months I was still feeling depressed so he increased the Zyprexa to 15 mg. This has been a miracle drug for me. I fall asleep within 30 min of taking it and sleep very well except it is difficult to wake up in the morning. I set three alarms around my bedroom. One I have to physically get out of bed to turn off so it helps me get up. But that side effect is getting better after two months of taking Zyprexa. I no longer have ruminating thoughts or bouts of rage. My mood is very even. I have had some weight gain due to the med making me feel hungry all the time. Now I'm trying to drink water instead of eating and that seems to help."

Beth (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Worked great from the first night I took it. The next morning I felt calmer and more mentally and emotionally stable. It helps me sleep and sleep well. I haven’t been formally diagnosed with anything yet, but I’m guessing I have BPD with depression and an anxiety disorder. This helped me with everything except for depression. I can’t rate it a perfect 10 because it seems to make me a little tired and unmotivated during the day. Also, I can’t seem to lose much weight on it, which is a bummer. My pdoc has tried other antipsychotics and AD’s on me but only zyprexa (Olanzapine) has seemed to help at all."

CaliforniaGuy1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I am a caregiver for a friend with schizophrenia. She refuses to take her meds because she says she doesn't need them. While hospitalized with her Olanzapine tablets they were crushing up the up, dissolving in water and then placing in food or drink. The liquid dissolves into food, including pizza and coffee without a trace and without changing the taste. This asset of this drug has made things so much easier. After about 6 weeks of 10mg a day, she is so much easier to get a long with and no longer a consideration for a danger to herself or others. Highly recommended for those patients that have responded well to Olanzapine (Zyprexa) while in the hospital or previously."

Caregiver to the non compliant (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

For Insomnia: "Works greatly"

Anonymous April 7, 2018

For Depression: "I was on olanzepine and fluoxetine for depression, and it helped with my depression but the olanzepine was far too sedating and made me feel emotionally numb and indifferent. I was also on Vyvanse for ADD at the time and it essentially eliminated the effect of the Vyvanse. It also increased my appetite significantly, and I ended up putting on 10lbs in a month and a half, so I stopped taking it and had no issues with any withdrawal symptoms. Overall it helped with my depression somewhat, but it didn’t give me any benefit apart from being not depressed and emotionally numb."

Sjfvry146 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "After trying abilify, sinogan,r isperdal and seroquel without any success I finally found my dreamed med. I've been on it for almost 2 months, the first few days it felt like a mental breakdown, but come on! , you need to breakthrough in order to reach a normal state of consciousness again. After a couple on weeks on it, I feel like a perfectly normal person again, no more paranoia, anxiety fully suppressed and depression too. Just watch out for what you eat (the hunger it gives is completely manageable, if you go fat is because you are giving up to your desires)"

Ugee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have a love hate relationship with Zyprexa. I was initially put on it when I had a breakdown, it was the worst I ever felt mentally in my life. Before going on it I hadn’t slept soundly for 10 years. Taking Zyprexa was a last resort drug, and it worked great for getting me through that tough time. When I started to take it, I could finally get a good nights sleep, I can’t even explain how good that felt after going so long with out it. I also feel like it saved my marriage. Now the downsides: I gained about 40 lbs since I’ve started taking it 12 years ago. It makes me feel hungry constantly and crave sweets. Another thing is I am so unmotivated, it’s so frustrating! Anytime I try to reduce it I find I get irritable and not able to sleep, so then I go back up again. I definitely think this drug is not good for everyone, I would only recommend it as a last resort."

Anonymous March 26, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "What a change in my life. My mind feels 20 again. I will do my best to eat well and watch my weight, but frankly the relief I get is worth more weight. My only concern right now is that I become sensitized to the meds and going back to what I was feeling before."

Dave (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking Zyprexa since 2002. At first I was on 10 mg, and I've been on 20 mg for the last 15 years. It worked great at first, but now it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I take it because I have bipolar 2 disorder. I need it to calm down my mind when I go to sleep. I want to know if there is anything else I can take, or does Zyprexa come in a stronger dose than 20 mg ?"

Patrick (taken for 10 years or more) March 3, 2018

For Agitation: "This drug is amazing for me. I’ve had anxiety for 23 years. I was on klonipin for 13 of those years. I detoxed of klonipin. The worst 3 months of my life. Was put on zyprexa a few days later I’m about 80% anxiety free. My panic attack’s are gone. And the horrible muscle tension in my jaw, eye, neck, and nose is about 70% gone. I’ve learned from experience that not all drugs work for certain people. I decided to write this because it just might help you. God bless "

Pete (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hi, I'm bipolar type 1. I took Olanzapine for 2 years. When I'm in mania, Olanzapine is perfect, otherwise it would be impossible for me to sleep. However, once out of my mania and depressive phase, I was still unable to feel good. Here are my symptoms and habits: - Lost pleasure in eating, playing, working - Lost the taste of being in touch with people - Great irritability - Unable to get up in the morning - Afternoon siesta - Unfortunate - Bad mood like depression I went to Desyrel 100 mg and 3 days later, I found my life back!"

yflageole (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2018

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "So far all I have read about this medication are negative comments but for me Olanzapine has been a lifesaver! I have tried so many medications for my Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type) and some of them have worked somewhat or I have had to many side effects to the point I could not tolerate it. The only side effect I have got from the Olanzapine is drowsiness which isn’t a problem for me because I take it a few hours before bed time. Before this medication I would hallucinate a few times a week and would sometimes go into full blown psychosis and have to be hospitalized. Now that I have been taking this medicine for a few months I have only hallucinated once but my psychiatrist increased the dosage and most of my symptoms have gone away. I would definitely recommend this medication but just make sure you exercise a few days a week. My psychiatrist told me about the possibility of weight gain but so far that hasn’t happened."

TyAustin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I love Olazapine. It was a life changer. However, I've put on 10+ pounds since I started taking it in about September 2017. Do not smoke or drink often tho (more than once a week) because I find when I do, the effects of the medication aren't as substantial. I struggle with alcoholism and find it hard to stay alcohol free. So because I don't listen to myself, the pills aren't working as well. Usually, my thoughts are clear, my anxiety is minimal, and I'm able to LIVE. but lately, I'm crippled emotionally. Stay away from alcohol and drugs while on olazapine."

Torianna (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I actually said to the person whom hallucination I was hearing that I have taken the medicine then they didn't spoke for 8 hours it was sunday. I think they said the person should talk with you on a phone or something maybe he/she is hiding something like a built in speaker or something."

nitin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "Been on 25mg of Zyprexa Zydis, 5mg in the morning and 20mg in the night. It cause weight gain from 45kg to 53kg, tremor and restlessness for me. I see a decrease in hallucinations but still delusional."

Users (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "To say olanzapine is either good or bad is too simplistic. When times were rough (and they were very rough indeed!) this drug did help me to carry on living. However, as I recovered, at some stage I felt the awful side-effects were not worth continuing it. Incredible weight gain (6 stone in total) was just one of them. It also dumbed me down a lot, I wasn't as alert anymore, had problems concentrating - but I slept like a log. Came off this drug completely about 2 months ago and I feel a lot better for it! Feels like I'm me again. People have commented on how I smile and laugh a lot more. I have much more energy and don't need a nap in the afternoon anymore. Overall, I feel this drug can be helpful in the short term, but, at least for me, it's not a long-term option!"

satyam2016 February 17, 2018