User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

6.1
Tourette's Syndrome 3 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 358 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was on this for maybe 6 months 2 years ago. I went from 121 to 184 in less then 3 months. I was eating constantly even after I had dinner I would be hungry 15 minutes later. If your doctor wants you to take this DON'T. It's easy for the weight to come but harder to make the weight go away."

Cinn Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication saved my life, after years of closet OCD, and anxiety I was suicidal an couldn't take one more day. They started me at 5 mg an it's never been upped, my OCD is non existent an I finally feel happy and comfortable in my own skin!!! I smile!!! No weight gain (but I am gluten free and an avid walker) I still have occasional panic attacks I take xanax for, but this med has made them minimal. It has helped my head to toe pain from depression as well. I get up at 6 am everyday and not sleeping all day like some have said, I work a full time job an take care of kids with no side effects at 5 mg."

Mom24/7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "At the age of 12 I was forced to take olanzapine at 15mg for 3 years until I stopped the medication cold turkey against psychiatrists orders. I slept on average 14 hours a day and my emotional state was flatlined for the duration of those 3 years. I experienced several side effects that impacted my life in more ways than I can explain. Constant shaking, excessive weight gain and so many more. I remember accidentally taking a double dose and suffering the most intense pain I have ever experienced in my life to this day. This is the worst drug I have ever had the misfortune to take and I think they need to stop giving it to children and adolescents immediately."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "No nothing good, just constant fatigue and weight gain. It makes me sleepy as hell and makes me even more of a zombie."

automatonnn May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Avoid at all costs - Weight gain is insane. Hungry all of the time, can't stop eating even when full, and that awful feeling afterwards. BE AWARE - coming off of this is hell, too. Be very careful, and come off of this very slowly."

Matty723 May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was given olanzipine for something other than my borderline personality disorder although I've not been told what. I'm on 10mg and I'm unsure whether it's the olanzipine alone, whether it's the venlafaxine I'm on or whether it's the combination of the 2, but when I fall asleep, I'm out cold. I don't turn over or move and can sleep for over a day if I don't set any alarms. But the bad thing is that when I wake up I still feel tired and worn out."

keen2000 May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "OK I've been on zyprexa going on 7 months at 20mg a day and it's the best thing I've done to get help with bipolar disorder. The only down fall is the weight gain but for me to stay sane and be happy it's worth it. Since being on zyprexa I've been able to socialize again with other people and do not stay in my bedroom all day and night. Thank God for helping me "

Ckelly8158 May 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medication is very effective in making me have a mainly normal day. It does make me feel drowsy at when I first wake up but I do not hear any voices or have any racing thoughts or other disturbances throughout the day. I am also able to sleep well. I do however notice a difference in between being on 15mg versus 10mg. I need the higher dose for it to be as effective, I was still having some disturbances on the lower dose."

Anonymous April 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "You all seem like a bunch of moan bags. Sick and glad of your misery. Suck it up and get it on. ITS AN AID NOT A HAPPY PILL. We were born with this condition and it is there to help us."

Snto April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for : "I've had insomnia off and on since my daughter was born 11 years ago. I've tried everything under the sun for my insomnia. I started zyprexa 6 weeks ago, currently taking 30mg a night, and I can honestly say I feel like a new person. I'm sleeping about 9.5 hours a night now and feel great when I wake up! It does make me feel hungrier but I workout daily and stick to just 3 meals a day with no snacking in between and my weight is fine."

Rachel0123 April 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "The side effect have taken over"

Lucious April 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Its good for preventing psychosis. The only side effects I am having is I sleep a lot and can't control poop for long and end up pooping in my pants sometimes. Btw I am taking this medication for one year."

Gaurav Rai April 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Zyprexa for a few years now and it definitely helping me. I now take Celexa, Wellbutirn, Zyprexa and Xanax. I feel back to my old self again. Very pleased!!"

Destry (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "My quality of live has improved significantly on this medication. It has calmed my voices a lot and helps me to sleep at night. The weight gain is a problem but I guess I don't mind it because I am feeling so much better. The hallucinations and delusions are less frequent and I can think clearly and get on with other things. I also don't wake up with that hangover-like-effect in the morning. I think I have found my miracle drug."

Darkhorse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Although the drug works while you are on it you don't really want to take it long term. It causes serious weight gain and leaves you with insomnia if you try to stop it."

AWilliams13 March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medicine never made the voices I heard go away-though I'll admit they were a bit calmer. They couldn't have been anything but though, considering the fog I was in because of the side effects. I felt NOTHING, not happiness, depression, calmness, anxiety. I saw no wonder in the world, felt no kind of joy. It was no way to live-it wasn't living. It was existing, and that side effect didn't go away despite my taking it for months. Another side effect was the weight gain-in three months I'd gained thirty pounds."

Owlem (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "This medicine is very powerful and is easily the best medicine that I've taken for borderline personality disorder. If you go down the list of symptoms for BPD this medicine basically takes care of all of them, with two major side effects: sleepiness and weight gain. I have tried almost all of the SSRI's and SNRI's, Wellbutrin, Saphris and Abilify and nothing works as good or as quickly as Zyprexa."

DavidC1984 March 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "I developed an illness that evolved in stages. A few stages in I lost the ability to sleep naturally. This was about eleven years ago. A few years went by trying every sleep med with utter failure. Ambien, Lunesta, benzodiazepines, trazadone, most atypical antipsychotics. Eventually a new lifestyle evolved where I would be up for near three days straight then sleep for a full day, repeat. What finally put me to sleep was a little risperidone and a megadose of seroquel. Risperdal "allowed" me to fall asleep, while max dose of seroquel "KEPT ME in sleeping state "long enough" and "deep enough." 3am now, tried 10mg of zyprexa an hour ago alone, its barely affecting me. Remeron with halved seroquel/risperdal, put me down great."

John Doe Alias March 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "This medicine has made me gain a lot of weight due to the fact I get hungry about 2 hours after taking it. After eating I always pass out and sleep through the night till I have to wake up for my job at 7 a.m. I have been taking this medication for two years now so I do not wake up groggy and foggy. This medication to me is a life saver for putting me to sleep and keeping me asleep. Just be careful with the night hungers! Other then that would totally recommend the medication if you can't sleep at night."

R pack March 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I went through a horrific bout of anxiety right around the holidays. It was so bad that I would wake up with my whole body shaking afraid to start the day. I still think that set-back was caused by my doctor trying to switch me to Zoloft from Effexor. At any rate, after many calls and visits, my doctor finally switched me back to Effexor and gave me Zyprexa. He was pretty clear that this would not be a maintenance medicine, since it causes weight gain and other side effects. Well, it did it's job well. Definitely calmed my nerves and made me feel somewhat human again. I also take Klonopin which also helps, but is not as effective. Looking forward someday to being off all this medicine, but desperate times, call for desperate measures."

Maxiemar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Paranoid Disorder: "Olanzapine is very good for extreme paranoia, I was in multiple fights and at times were looking to fight, After the second day, it felt like I went through puberty again, but in a day this time. Balanced my mood, lowered agitation, eliminates paranoia, great for sedating as well. Only side effect I have is weight gain. Highly recommended if you think you can benefit."

Barnzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I can only think you are all in the U.S. In the U.K this drug is given to treat schizophrenia, severe schizophrenia. Good luck to you all"

Liztt February 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was put on this drug for my OCD and to help me gain weight because I was very thin. It did work and helped those things, but it also caused extreme constipation. That's why I got off of it. Within a few days of being off the drug, I started to have no appetite and all food was disgusting to me. I never have had this problem in my life, I was always a big fan of food and would practically eat anything. Now it is hard for me to get enough calories in a day because I am disgusted by everything. I'll actually gag on foods now that I had no problem with prior to taking this medication. It has been many months since I got off of it, and no change. I would strongly recommend that you do not take this medication. It has been a nightmare. I am not writing this to be a jerk, I really want to warn people of what it can do so it doesn't happen to others. At the very least, consult with your doctor about this med. I have been on many different medications in my life, and this one by far the worst in terms of getting off of it."

Tmoneyz19 February 22, 2017