User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation

Schizoaffective Disorder

Tourette's Syndrome

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 7.2 403 reviews

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was on a very high dose of zyprexa (olanzapine) for a long time (60 mg a day) about 8 months . During that time I was not human. I could not hold a normal conversation because my head was totally empty and I could not find the words. I had no motivation to do anything really, just sleeping, staring at the wall all day. I was like a zombie, walking weird like dragging my feet behind me and I gained A LOT of weight. I slurred when talking and drooled a lot. I isolated myself completely from the outside world and hit a real low. This was the darkest time of my life and I wouldn't wish this punishment on my worst enemy."

Myaliasisnotmyname (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2018

For Insomnia: "I take two 50mg tablets of trazadone plus 1 2.5mg tablet of olanzapine about half hour before I'm ready to "hit the hay" on an EMPTY stomach in which I within 10-15mins eat a light snack not too hard to digest and sounds like a lie but it's not within 8 minutes I'm out like a light...worth asking about , right?"

"T" January 12, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I took Zyprexa. On the dose that was 10mg I felt like I could do what I wanted to. How wrong was I. I'd never get it done without fainting and whatever else. If your idea of recovering is getting a double chin and sleeping 15 hours a day, take it."

badjoke (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "My husband started zyprexa a few days ago and all he can do is sleep. Is this normal and how long will the sleepiness last"

Russfamily7 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "What an awful medication! I took olanzapine for a 6 months and I’ll give it credit that it completely got rid of mania, racing thoughts and impulsivity. However I became severely depressed and I was also a walking zombie. I could stare at the wall or ceiling for hours and be okay with that. I also gained 50 pounds in 6 months. Finally got off olanzapine last winter and taking Seroquel XR- also 40 pounds of the weight that I gained on Zyorexa. Stay away from this med- There are SO many other options!!"

VC8 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Wow this medication has helped me tremendously lower my anxiety and actually enjoy going out and the intrusive thoughts have not disappeared totally but I am able to shrug them off. I was taking 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5 at night but successfully decreased by half for day and night.CBT has helped as well. I am not a doctor but if your debating on if you should take it I would. The weight gain is a side effect but I have managed by limiting to 3 meals a day and not having any sweets in the house. Take note I am also on Cipralex and Lamotrigine so the cocktail of meds is helping alot"

Happy Dude (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "I took this medication many years ago and gained 50 lbs in the first month of taking it. It is horrible nasty stuff and didn't do anything for my moods. I went off it after that first month."

south pole (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

For Depression: "After years of trial and error with antidepressants and anxiolytics, I finally asked to try an antipsychotic. I take 10mg of olanzapine with 75mg effexor each day. The combination is quite effective compared with antidepressant mono-therapy. I wish I'd been on this combination long ago. Helps particularly with suicidal thoughts and getting a new perspective on depressive thought processes. It also starts working faster than antidepressants, which was important in my case."

Roger322 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

For Depression: "I have been taking olanzapine 5mg for 11 years after been admitted to a psychiatric hospital for severe depression and had electric shock treatment Have had severe side effects of this medication"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "So here is the straight up deal- zyprexa sucks - it does. It makes you starving but never feel full, you feel tired and foggy, and generally out of it. However if you're going through psychosis it will stop it FAST. Bottom line: don't take it if you don't have to, if you do have to take it as little as possible. Zyprexa saved my life but the side effects are horrible"

cece697 November 29, 2017

For Insomnia: "Causes brain shrinkage in studies. Made me lose motivation. Made me fat. Blurs vision. uncoordinated and your hands shake. lose memory, and cannot talk properly."

Paul John smith November 27, 2017

For Schizophrenia: "Works well for paranoia aspect of schizophrenia but caused diabetes. Would recommend Latuda as a substitute (it does not cause weight gain or diabetes)"

Thingsiexplore (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 23, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love this medication, but I gained 40 pounds in about 4 months! Stayed on it for years and made me feel normal. I, initially, got on it when it was first released and there were no other atypical antipsychotics on the market. When Seroquel was released, then my psychiatrist switched me to it because it showed weight gain, but not as much. He was correct."

WillnBryant (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This has been a miracle drug for me. Ive been on everything, and this drug is like no other. I could care less about the significant weight gain. Im dealing with will power challenges when it comes to food.Zyprexa allows me a LIFE."

Gwem (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "2.5 mgs olanzapine a day, bpd-adhd-gad able to cope with mood swings better as if observing them from a distance. takes the edge off agitation. and have that all important regular sleep cycle. I can't stop eating but haven't gained a lot of weight. symptoms are still present but easier to deal with."

mm31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

For Insomnia: "Started Zyprexa 3 weeks ago - my primary side effect is insomnia - I go to sleep but awaken through the night and then early morning awakening. My sleep has been reduced to 5-6 hours a night - I have MS and my sleep is vital to control that, so hopefully my Dr can help with the lack of sleep issue."

L S A November 2, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This taken with Zoloft helped me tremendously with my mdd, ptsd and ocd. Did gain some weight this last time taking it, but mentally feel 98% better"

Katjo80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2017

For Schizophrenia: "This drug has not helped me in any good way. I have gained weight I still hear voices I have become depressed and suicidal thoughts. I feel like I'm sitting at the bottom of the ocean. This drug is not helping at all. I can only imagine the damage it is doing to my body. I have poor bladder control. I slur my words and it drugs me out. My memory has become shocking. And everyday is a struggle to function. I'm so tired :("

Jolenia (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I initially started on 5 mg and after 2 weeks my doctor put me on 10 mg. I feel fantastic. My mind doesn't race anymore and I'm finally sleeping all night long. Short lived groggy feeling in morning, I make myself get up and move, that seems to work the best. The suicidal thoughts are gone and I just feel really good. No weight gain yet but I do exercise 3-4 times a week. Only noticeable side affect is i seem to be thirstier and dry mouth. For my Zyprexa has been amazing!"

Jenduke1970 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was put on this medication when I was 19, 25 years ago, I had a problem experimenting with hallucingenics in my teens, after a really bad trip when I was 18, that wouldn' t go away a team of doctors suggested this drug. If only I had have known that it would be thee most addictive substance I'd ever met I'd have left well enough alone. I gained so much weight, waking up in the middle of the night craving complex carbs and sugars, couldn't get back to sleep til I felt full which took a lot of eating as you never feel full while on zeprexa. It destroyed all of my epthatic traits that made me the type of person I liked to be, caring, open minded. And coming off of heroin was a million times easier."

swimming23 October 6, 2017

For Agitation: "My 9 year old son was placed on this medication a few weeks ago because of violent outbursts, agitation, insomnia and anxiety. He has high functioning autism. He had been placed on Respiradol with few improvements. Zypreza has been a game changer for my son Jake. He takes 5mg about an hour before bed. He is sleeping through the night (in 9 years he has never slept through the night). He is happy and content. No more violent out bursts. He is eating non stop (he would barely eat prior to medication). Very happy with the results that Jake is seeing on this medication and he has had no side effects outside of being hungry and eating more."

Jakes mom (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

For Schizophrenia: "I have had a long history of depression, despair and anguish. For a long period of time I felt like I had failed. I was dying, not physically but we are more than physical creatures. I used to be extremely intense, This culminated in a psychotic episode and I was institutionalized in a psychiatric ward. I was told by a doctor to take zyprexa on the first night. Following this the next couple of days were a blur waking to eat and take medication is all I remember. Long story short, I have had the happiest, most productive and most stable years of my life, although I don't feel as intellectually sharp as once it is small price to pay I feel. But I am considering lowering my dose. Currently on 10mg at night."

firewalker (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 29, 2017

For Insomnia: "I have suffered from terrible insomnia for quite some time. Every time I get better, then my body becomes used to it. Currently I take 5mg with 50mg Serequel and 15mg Midozalm. This is a lot of medication and keep in constant contact with my Docters. "

CeltBru September 22, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)"

Costa pork (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had been medication free for over 10 years when a series of traumatic events escalated in full blown psychosis and deep depression. I was suicidal, unable to sleep and experiencing 6 hour long panic attacks. I was put on olanzapine 5mg at night and have been taking it for just over 1 year. I was able to sleep through and the nightmarish world I inhabited slowly began to clear like a thick fog. At the time I thought there was no way I would make it out alive! The deep depression took longer to lift and after no luck combining it with proxac or citalopram I hit on the right combination with Effexor 225mg. Still, the Olanzapine was my 'daylight' drug. Weight gain has been an issue but my appetite is more manageable now and am exercising."

BPGirl40 September 20, 2017