User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Tourette's Syndrome 3 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 337 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Paranoid Disorder: "Olanzapine is very good for extreme paranoia, I was in multiple fights and at times were looking to fight, After the second day, it felt like I went through puberty again, but in a day this time. Balanced my mood, lowered agitation, eliminates paranoia, great for sedating as well. Only side effect I have is weight gain. Highly recommended if you think you can benefit."

Barnzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "I can only think you are all in the U.S. In the U.K this drug is given to treat schizophrenia, severe schizophrenia. Good luck to you all"

Liztt February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was put on this drug for my OCD and to help me gain weight because I was very thin. It did work and helped those things, but it also caused extreme constipation. That's why I got off of it. Within a few days of being off the drug, I started to have no appetite and all food was disgusting to me. I never have had this problem in my life, I was always a big fan of food and would practically eat anything. Now it is hard for me to get enough calories in a day because I am disgusted by everything. I'll actually gag on foods now that I had no problem with prior to taking this medication. It has been many months since I got off of it, and no change. I would strongly recommend that you do not take this medication. It has been a nightmare. I am not writing this to be a jerk, I really want to warn people of what it can do so it doesn't happen to others. At the very least, consult with your doctor about this med. I have been on many different medications in my life, and this one by far the worst in terms of getting off of it."

Tmoneyz19 February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Insomnia: "Olanzapine puts me to a restful sleep. Works better than OTC sleeping drugs, hands down. Many prescription sleeping pills I had a bad reaction to, like being groggy in the morning having restless leg, very nervous. it slows my thought process down for a great restfull sleep."

heather50 February 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I was given olanzapine 2.5mg six days ago. I already take 40mg prozac. I think I've tried every med going for anxiety and depression and I haven't responded well to any of them. I started taken meds about 9yrs ago...after 6 days I've done a lot of crying and feeling strange, a lot of negative things but I am willing to persevere as two positive things have happened. I can eat dinner where as before I could barely eat a thing and I seem to be feeling motivation just in a small way but thats a massive improvement on sleeping all day as I couldn't face getting up and another day. I'm hoping this med will give me my life back, although anxiety feels worse and irritible and a bit snappy...."

curly72 February 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was prescribed Olanzapine from the hospital after a manic episode and it helped me recover quickly... 5mg morning/night. I asked my primary doc' to prescribe it to me because it seemed to be helping my symptoms. After 1-2 months I started feeling depressed, brain fog, no passion, and it was hard for me to wake up. GAINED 10-15lbs which is my current nightmare!!! I am binge eating... Low energy, low moods, and no concentration. All my hard work of keeping my diet and fitness goals down the drain. Good if you are looking for a quick fix but not long term. BEWARE."

VickyPhuong2 February 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was in a study of this medication. Half got it and the other half got placebo. Dose was increased to 20 mg at bedtime. I got dramatically better in every area. My husband and parents were thrilled because I had previously attempted suicide and had to be hospitalized. When the study was half way over all of us got Zyprexa and the half that must of have on placebo, because they didn't get ANY better, all had results like I did. At the end of the trial. I stopped it b/c I had gained 6 # in 12 weeks. A week off it my husband said I had to get back on it since I had was so bad. This is 11 yrs later & my wt is back to normal, still on med."

ZZYYR (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "It's a wonder drug it has taken my voices away and seeing things away. My paranoia is still there but alot better. My moods are under control as well"

austins dad January 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia: "It has been a long and dreadful road but has been getting better ever since I first took it, voices are going away ever so gradually but they ARE going away. Used to not be able to watch TV because the hockey game always seemed to be about me and my insecurities (if i watched anything on TV it was hockey). Hate to have it happen but I grew from 150 pounds to 190-195 pounds and from either a waist size of 30-32 to 34.. and I didn't seem to be eating very much more then what I used to, although after I eat something big I get hungry a lot quicker than what I used to. I think once I have the symptoms all gone it will be easier to hit the gym anytime I want again to get back to 150. Overall, the voices are there daily but will be gone soon enough"

Invis (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "It's a miracle for someone else to feel better (which I'm happy they do) but it does not work to me. I feel empty these days with lack of motivation to do anything. My hallucinations and voices don't go away that easy. I still find myself seeing shadows and hearing voices telling me words that aren't real. I'm not worried about the weight gain I just want the hallucinations and hearing voices to go away. I am diagnosed with schizoaffective which now make me doubt about it. My mood is stable (how others see on the outside) normal to everyone but it like putting myself to sleep and becomes even slow. aripiprazole was bad for me as it made me feel restless and suicidal."

victorlynch December 25, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Definitely relieved morning anxiety attacks. I'm also taking Effexor and Klonopin. I take the Zyprexa at night because it does make me sleepy. I wasn't eating anything at all before starting this drug, so I'm not worried yet about the weight gain; I'm not overdoing it with the food. I don't plan to be on this for long; my doctor told me it's not really a maintenance medication. But if it gets me through the Holidays and my horrible anxiety about work, I'm fine with that."

Maxiemar December 23, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I started Zyprexa 6 months ago after I was hospitalized to the psych ward and diagnosed schitzoaffective, I'm also bipolar. It has been pretty darn good, makes me sleepy which is good for bedtime, I get between 8-15 hours of sleep a night. In July when I was in the hospital I weighed 98 pounds, I have gained 30 pounds since, but Im worried I'll keep gaining more weight, which is why I am thinking of looking for other medications that can treat both the ups and downs and the delusions and hallucinations. Other than the the major weight gain, its good."

HaskinsA December 20, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "Worked great for me. Not only did it control my perception of reality, it also takes away the strange emotional attachments that I was having. It made me go from sitting on the couch hidding, to working full time as an electrician, sometimes up to 10 hours a day, something I thought I would never be able to do again. There were only two problems. I was unmotivated, I didn't have any passion for life. I was just going through the motions. However this is much better that being psychotic and suicidal. In the 9 months I was on the medication, I gained almost 100 pounds. This happened even when I was eating the same amount as before I was medicated. Again, this is far better than being angry and paranoid."

Naboo Bear December 20, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "This drug makes you gain a ridiculous amount of weight in just a few days. I've been taking zyprexa for 2 months and gained almost 9kg. It's terrible because of its side effects. As someone who was just at the right weight for my height I'm afraid I'll not stop gaining weight and my borderline and depression will get worse. I feel self conscious about my body now, I feel fat and my anxiety is also getting worse. Sadly I can't recommend this medication."

Alexandre Simoes (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "First year on 5mg at night helped my mood, anger outbursts and anxiety a great deal. Did develop high cholesterol and gained 15 pounds, but the trade off was worth it. Also helps wonderfully with insomnia. After the year mark it was no longer handling my anger well. Started having 2-3 inappropriate outbursts a week. Pdoc started me on geodon but couldn't handle the side effects, so back to the zyprexa I went with another 2.5mg added in the morning and gained another 6 pounds. Have tried other AAPs but can't handle the side effects so I'm still on the zyprexa for now until I get brave enough to try something else again. Taking with Pristiq, Trileptal, Vistiril and Xanax."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "After having tried just about every medication. Zyprexa is the one that kept me asleep. Of course there are some mornings I wake up early. Like about 4-5 in the morning. Those nights are rare. As far as weight gain? It hasn't been an issue. And I wish everybody the best of luck while taking these medications. Because finding the right fit takes lots of patience:)"

Bubbles... (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started this because I need to get my mood stable and it doesn't work for me all. I'm 113 lbs and haven't noticed any weight gain, I am really sleepy and thirsty during the night but it helps with my mood."

Jamaican empress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on Olanzapine in July for depression and bi-polar disorder. As a matter a fact when I came to this country I never heard of bi-polar until about 20-25 year ago. today it seems that everyone you speak to has the disorder. Why is that? I do think that many people need to be on helpful medicine but not Olanzapine which has plethora of side effect even reported deaths. My theory is this I think many people have been convinced by psychiatrists that they have depression and suffer from bi-polar disorder. In the late 1980's and early 1990' there were cases in courts for doctors taking kick backs for prescribing this very expensive drug . Could this still be happening today."

George Ganko (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had been so unwell off meds for over a year and vomiting daily due to bipolar. I thought vomiting was from physical illness. As soon as i started this med all bp symptoms left AND my stomach is settled. No sexual side effects. Old me is back. No sides! Miracle drug! Weight gain for me will be a pkus not negative"

Yaybdtubfuj December 6, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Olanzapine did not work for me, my psychosis symptoms did not improve at all, if anything it made them worse. It made me constantly dizzy and very tired. I could barely function, or even keep my eyes open, I would sometimes fall asleep sitting up. Constant napping there was no choice. I felt like a zombie with no feelings or emotions which is worse than my original condition imo. And the worst part is you do not have a sex life when on this medication at all! No desire to have sex, it actually hurts to have sex and it's impossible to orgasm I was a pretty small person to begin with around 120-125 and I eat a healthy low carb/sugar diet, no processed foods mostly organic fresh vegtables and oils, never over eating. So when my doctor told me that I would probably gain weight I didn't think it would actually happen but I took it for 7 months and I ended up weighing 166! It was so depressing and now I have permanent stretch marks on my body :( I don't take any medication any more and I honestly feel so much better. Also if you research olanzapine it's a pretty dangerous drug and has killed a lot of people.  "

GoMedFree December 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took 3mgs of Zyprexa, contained in Symbyax, nightly for about 6 years. The medicine worked well for the first 2 to 3 years. Around year four I started having severe side effects and did not realize it was from the Zyprexa as it had been working so well. I suffered with increasing seizures for about three more years. Bad ones. I wound up in the hospital emergency room and it was the ER doctor that informed me that the Zyprexa was causing the problem. My regular doctor denied Zyprexa as a contributing factor to my seizures. I quit the Zyprexa cold turkey. To say the least it was an absolutely horrible experience. Wean off this drug over a long period of time and even then get ready for horrendous withdrawal symptoms after your last dose."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Schizophrenia: "My experience with this neuroleptic is actually a combination of olanzapine 25mg with quetiapine 50mg. My thoughts are definitely not as agitated,am not as angry as i used to be,sometimes though,i feel false,looking at the world,but not really a part of,i know strange..I do not hear voices from my condition.I also take dexedrine for adult ADHD. This drug combination forces you to bed within an hour or so,do to extreme fatigue. I've been taking these antipsychotics for over 2 years.."

Hamerman (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on zyprexa for about 3 months. While it does tame hypomania it tames too much and I don't want to do anything anymore. Sometimes my mouth works like I have Novocaine in my lips and my speech comes out in a mumble. I've gained 10 lbs. Some have said it was prescribed for anxiety but it has made mine worse. I'm afraid of having to do the things that I have to do. I'm not afraid of doing them, mind you, but afraid of *having* to do them. I feel so much pressure about doing things that I'm unable to do them. That's messed up. And that has come on me this past two weeks. Maybe I'm cycling or maybe it's this drug. Still, enough negative to get me off of it."

ashybashy November 21, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I've been on this drug for a manic episode. I was given 15 mg. which did wipe out the mania. Now I'm on the other side, the depressed side. I asked for prozac but the doctors insisted that a low dose of olanzapine would stabilize the depression. My depression is reactive: i sold my house and moved to another state to be closer to my job. I have hardly any friends here as I'm starting over. It remains to be seen if this low dose at 2.5 mg. will help with the depression."

Larasue November 20, 2016