User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 2 reviews 12 medications

4.5
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 281 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on this drug for 4 months this drug has been a nightmare I am on 15mg soon after taking the drug at night i start feeing clumsy change in walking balance difficulty in speaking shuffling in walks felt complete numbness and feel even more angry and want to through things across the room. feel out of control"

hardeep July 18, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "great medicine for strange thinking or ocd. gained over 70lbs though"

bronson44 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "My depression was so bad my anxiety became horrible and also developed scary thoughts . I tried a few different pills and each one after 3 days I had to stop them due to Bad side effects I was then put on zyprexa 2.5mg and did not expect much from them but I was surprised ! First day I did not feel any different but by day 3 I felt a little better and started day 4 broke my pill record ! I'm on day 7 now and feel a lot better ! I feel like me again I still have some anxiety but it's bearable :) and the bad thoughts seem to get blocked out when starting :) . still no bad side effects I have had a few dizzy moments when bending over and getting up to fast but it passes fast :) I'm glad I started this pill wish it was the first one I tried !!"

Kat88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "Success, success, success! Review Part 2. I now take Xyprexa every day. I take it early so I don't get a hang over effect the next day. Before, I got away with taking it every other day but that doesn't work anymore. with 8 hours sleep an night I am thankful. I don't feel like a zombie. I am taking a higher dose for awhile as to better the longer term effect."

BipolarGuy01 July 10, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "this drug didnt do shit to me. it actually made me feeling worse. my doctor doesnt want to take me off it. ive been taking it for 3 weeks for anxiety and hasnt done anything. plus i have put on 7 kilos. my dosage is 7.5 mg."

tonio78 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Paranoid Disorder: "i was prescribed 2.5mg dose. this medication has been excellent in reducing my hyper-vigilance. it has allowed me to sleep normally again. one side effect is it made my sleep apnea far worse. this caused reduced functionality in areas such as work. overall positive experience. just be aware of potential for compounding sleep apnea."

grrmartin June 6, 2016

For Depression: "Good at what its made to treat but you gain weight even on 2.5. You may as well walk around stoned on anything higher as you eyes go glassy and you get very tired."

Dermot (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have suffered from BPD and depression since early adulthood. I have been seeking help for 30+ years. I've been on all kinds of medicine, but it wasn't until Zyprexa was added to my antidepressant that I found complete relief of my horribly unstable mood and suicidal thoughts. I felt relief from the 2nd day of use. I never ever thought that I would feel normal, and happy. Amazing! No more rage, no more depressive episodes, less compulsive thoughts, my mood is so even. So happy to have stumbled upon a medicine that works."

KWR01 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

For Tourette's Syndrome: "This medicine did work to stop the facial tics completely, I feel better. The downside is the weight gain, my doctor said I shouldn't gain weight because I'm only on 2.5mg,but not true, I have gained 15 pounds in 2 months. I'm at odds on what to do, keeping taking to cure the tics or stop due to weight gain. I feel miserable gaining weight."

JessicaF (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was 150 pounds and I went up to 182 pounds within two months of using olanzapine. You are hungry all of the time on this medication and never feel satisfied. The first two weeks of medication use I felt very tired. I am still tired, but it's not as bad as it was. I started on 15 mg. I dropped down to 10 mg. The unpleasant side effects described continued. I am in the process of getting off this medication."

R C J May 21, 2016

For Depression: "This med is the only thing I tried that worked for my anxiety and depression. It might just be the way my brain is made, but every other antidepressant I tried made me worse or caused reactions. Anti-psychotics however help me. I've been taking olanzapine for a year and haven't noticed much side effect, no weight gain at all. It doesn't completely cure my depression, but I feel much better. Dr. suggested that I take a higher dose, but I'm a bit worried about diabetes."

y-thingy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I suffer from depression, anxiety, irritability and anger. I recently fell into a deep depression, was suicidal, and began cutting myself. I was admitted to a psych ward for 4 days, and was prescribed 5mg olanzepine, and my fluoxetine was reduced to 10mg from 30. I'm doing SO much better with this combination. I'm not as anxious as I used to be. My depression is about gone completely, and I'm more patient with society. I've been on it for 2 weeks. The only down side is that I am STARVING, ALL THE TIME. No food can satisfy my stomach. I'm 6' and 150lb, so I don't care if I gain weight, but my mom has type II diabetes, so I'm paranoid taking this medication, which doesn't help my situation"

Delta99 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Started taking 2.5 mg Zyprexia a day 3 days ago. For years have taken 60 mg Celexa, .5 mg Clonazepam, and ( .5 mg Xanax if I need for emergency panic attack) They worked well until 6 years ago, my husband died, a year later my dad died.Two years after my dad passed his wife died, then 4mo. later my son, who had Downs Syndrome died on the operating table. I was really going into a deep black hole by then but it just got worse. A friend of 25 yrs died of cancer not even a year after my son. I can really feel a difference in just 3 days. No crying so far, been outside and to the store without panic attacks. Sleep really well. So far eating hasn't been a problem, have lots of energy, and just feel better. Hoping for a new lease on life!"

jpurplelady (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Started up Zyprexa 5mg along with 80mg of Prozac and 200 mg of lamctiI don't remember the last time I have felt this good.My family feels like they are living with a different person.I feel like a different person.My does of Prozac was upped and the lamctiI the same day they added Zyprexa.I feel wonderful but gaining weight.Even if my stomach feels full and bloated I sometimes still want to eat.Afraid to stop the Zyprexa because my life was a living hell for me and everybody in it.I never want to go back there.I could not survive such a deep dark depression again.I used to believe all the good years were gone and I was just existing.But I am living and loving it!!!!But extremely worried about the weight gain.Already have type 2 diabetes."

wildcats7 May 3, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

For Insomnia: "This is the only medicine I have taken for insomnia that helps me sleep. at least seven hours. Only drawback is if I take too late at nite I am drowsy for few hours when I wake up."

Deltagirl424 April 16, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "Less agression, no weight gain, no increased appetite, taken 5mg for 8 months. Happy, normal,active life now."

Medical turnaround (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "It's Definetely was a love/hate relationship with Zyprexa. I have tried virtually every sleep drug available, and it was one of the best because it not only put me to sleep, but it also KEPT me asleep for 8 hours. Started at 2.5mg, then 5mg, & eventually 7.5. It did take a long time to kick in though, so I had to take it 2 hours before bedtime. But like everybody who takes this, I gained weight. But I found the 1 way you can actually lose weight on this drug, which is to combine exercise with Atkins diet (low carb). Zyprexa gives you metabolic syndrome. You no longer burn carbs, which means all carbs you eat becomes body fat, which is why you become fat on this stuff (so you have to stop eating carbs). I got off this drug after 1 year."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016