User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

6.1
Tourette's Syndrome 3 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 351 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medication is very effective in making me have a mainly normal day. It does make me feel drowsy at when I first wake up but I do not hear any voices or have any racing thoughts or other disturbances throughout the day. I am also able to sleep well. I do however notice a difference in between being on 15mg versus 10mg. I need the higher dose for it to be as effective, I was still having some disturbances on the lower dose."

Anonymous April 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "You all seem like a bunch of moan bags. Sick and glad of your misery. Suck it up and get it on. ITS AN AID NOT A HAPPY PILL. We were born with this condition and it is there to help us."

Snto April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for : "I've had insomnia off and on since my daughter was born 11 years ago. I've tried everything under the sun for my insomnia. I started zyprexa 6 weeks ago, currently taking 30mg a night, and I can honestly say I feel like a new person. I'm sleeping about 9.5 hours a night now and feel great when I wake up! It does make me feel hungrier but I workout daily and stick to just 3 meals a day with no snacking in between and my weight is fine."

Rachel0123 April 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "The side effect have taken over"

Lucious April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Its good for preventing psychosis. The only side effects I am having is I sleep a lot and can't control poop for long and end up pooping in my pants sometimes. Btw I am taking this medication for one year."

Gaurav Rai April 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Zyprexa for a few years now and it definitely helping me. I now take Celexa, Wellbutirn, Zyprexa and Xanax. I feel back to my old self again. Very pleased!!"

Destry (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "My quality of live has improved significantly on this medication. It has calmed my voices a lot and helps me to sleep at night. The weight gain is a problem but I guess I don't mind it because I am feeling so much better. The hallucinations and delusions are less frequent and I can think clearly and get on with other things. I also don't wake up with that hangover-like-effect in the morning. I think I have found my miracle drug."

Darkhorse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Although the drug works while you are on it you don't really want to take it long term. It causes serious weight gain and leaves you with insomnia if you try to stop it."

AWilliams13 March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medicine never made the voices I heard go away-though I'll admit they were a bit calmer. They couldn't have been anything but though, considering the fog I was in because of the side effects. I felt NOTHING, not happiness, depression, calmness, anxiety. I saw no wonder in the world, felt no kind of joy. It was no way to live-it wasn't living. It was existing, and that side effect didn't go away despite my taking it for months. Another side effect was the weight gain-in three months I'd gained thirty pounds."

Owlem (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "This medicine is very powerful and is easily the best medicine that I've taken for borderline personality disorder. If you go down the list of symptoms for BPD this medicine basically takes care of all of them, with two major side effects: sleepiness and weight gain. I have tried almost all of the SSRI's and SNRI's, Wellbutrin, Saphris and Abilify and nothing works as good or as quickly as Zyprexa."

DavidC1984 March 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "I developed an illness that evolved in stages. A few stages in I lost the ability to sleep naturally. This was about eleven years ago. A few years went by trying every sleep med with utter failure. Ambien, Lunesta, benzodiazepines, trazadone, most atypical antipsychotics. Eventually a new lifestyle evolved where I would be up for near three days straight then sleep for a full day, repeat. What finally put me to sleep was a little risperidone and a megadose of seroquel. Risperdal "allowed" me to fall asleep, while max dose of seroquel "KEPT ME in sleeping state "long enough" and "deep enough." 3am now, tried 10mg of zyprexa an hour ago alone, its barely affecting me. Remeron with halved seroquel/risperdal, put me down great."

John Doe Alias March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "This medicine has made me gain a lot of weight due to the fact I get hungry about 2 hours after taking it. After eating I always pass out and sleep through the night till I have to wake up for my job at 7 a.m. I have been taking this medication for two years now so I do not wake up groggy and foggy. This medication to me is a life saver for putting me to sleep and keeping me asleep. Just be careful with the night hungers! Other then that would totally recommend the medication if you can't sleep at night."

R pack March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I went through a horrific bout of anxiety right around the holidays. It was so bad that I would wake up with my whole body shaking afraid to start the day. I still think that set-back was caused by my doctor trying to switch me to Zoloft from Effexor. At any rate, after many calls and visits, my doctor finally switched me back to Effexor and gave me Zyprexa. He was pretty clear that this would not be a maintenance medicine, since it causes weight gain and other side effects. Well, it did it's job well. Definitely calmed my nerves and made me feel somewhat human again. I also take Klonopin which also helps, but is not as effective. Looking forward someday to being off all this medicine, but desperate times, call for desperate measures."

Maxiemar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Paranoid Disorder: "Olanzapine is very good for extreme paranoia, I was in multiple fights and at times were looking to fight, After the second day, it felt like I went through puberty again, but in a day this time. Balanced my mood, lowered agitation, eliminates paranoia, great for sedating as well. Only side effect I have is weight gain. Highly recommended if you think you can benefit."

Barnzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I can only think you are all in the U.S. In the U.K this drug is given to treat schizophrenia, severe schizophrenia. Good luck to you all"

Liztt February 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was put on this drug for my OCD and to help me gain weight because I was very thin. It did work and helped those things, but it also caused extreme constipation. That's why I got off of it. Within a few days of being off the drug, I started to have no appetite and all food was disgusting to me. I never have had this problem in my life, I was always a big fan of food and would practically eat anything. Now it is hard for me to get enough calories in a day because I am disgusted by everything. I'll actually gag on foods now that I had no problem with prior to taking this medication. It has been many months since I got off of it, and no change. I would strongly recommend that you do not take this medication. It has been a nightmare. I am not writing this to be a jerk, I really want to warn people of what it can do so it doesn't happen to others. At the very least, consult with your doctor about this med. I have been on many different medications in my life, and this one by far the worst in terms of getting off of it."

Tmoneyz19 February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Olanzapine puts me to a restful sleep. Works better than OTC sleeping drugs, hands down. Many prescription sleeping pills I had a bad reaction to, like being groggy in the morning having restless leg, very nervous. it slows my thought process down for a great restfull sleep."

heather50 February 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was given olanzapine 2.5mg six days ago. I already take 40mg prozac. I think I've tried every med going for anxiety and depression and I haven't responded well to any of them. I started taken meds about 9yrs ago...after 6 days I've done a lot of crying and feeling strange, a lot of negative things but I am willing to persevere as two positive things have happened. I can eat dinner where as before I could barely eat a thing and I seem to be feeling motivation just in a small way but thats a massive improvement on sleeping all day as I couldn't face getting up and another day. I'm hoping this med will give me my life back, although anxiety feels worse and irritible and a bit snappy...."

curly72 February 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was prescribed Olanzapine from the hospital after a manic episode and it helped me recover quickly... 5mg morning/night. I asked my primary doc' to prescribe it to me because it seemed to be helping my symptoms. After 1-2 months I started feeling depressed, brain fog, no passion, and it was hard for me to wake up. GAINED 10-15lbs which is my current nightmare!!! I am binge eating... Low energy, low moods, and no concentration. All my hard work of keeping my diet and fitness goals down the drain. Good if you are looking for a quick fix but not long term. BEWARE."

VickyPhuong2 February 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was in a study of this medication. Half got it and the other half got placebo. Dose was increased to 20 mg at bedtime. I got dramatically better in every area. My husband and parents were thrilled because I had previously attempted suicide and had to be hospitalized. When the study was half way over all of us got Zyprexa and the half that must of have on placebo, because they didn't get ANY better, all had results like I did. At the end of the trial. I stopped it b/c I had gained 6 # in 12 weeks. A week off it my husband said I had to get back on it since I had was so bad. This is 11 yrs later & my wt is back to normal, still on med."

ZZYYR (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "It's a wonder drug it has taken my voices away and seeing things away. My paranoia is still there but alot better. My moods are under control as well"

austins dad January 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Schizophrenia: "It has been a long and dreadful road but has been getting better ever since I first took it, voices are going away ever so gradually but they ARE going away. Used to not be able to watch TV because the hockey game always seemed to be about me and my insecurities (if i watched anything on TV it was hockey). Hate to have it happen but I grew from 150 pounds to 190-195 pounds and from either a waist size of 30-32 to 34.. and I didn't seem to be eating very much more then what I used to, although after I eat something big I get hungry a lot quicker than what I used to. I think once I have the symptoms all gone it will be easier to hit the gym anytime I want again to get back to 150. Overall, the voices are there daily but will be gone soon enough"

Invis (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017