User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 2 reviews 12 medications

4.5
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 295 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Bipolar Disorder: "Replaced seroquel with this med, depression worsened after about a week."

Bobby1234yut September 20, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have used this medication for around two years. It Is very good with helping Schizoid Type Thoughts however i would not recommend the medication as a long term medication due to weight gain and its ability to affect whether or not you can wake up in the morning. It has a tendency to make me fall asleep for two days straight. From - Adult Male who has had sleep cycle problems from a young age."

Olanzapine September 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "The ultimate fat magnet. I literally doubled my body weight in 6 months. Went from 6 1/2 stone to 13stone. Developed a binge eating disorder! A horrific drug."

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have to say this from my own experience, about a year ago I'm not sure what happened but things went haywire and I ended up in hospital diagnosed with bipolar and was put on olanzipine it was good in a sense it cleared my psychotic symptoms and brought me back to reality. I was on 20mg from hospital for about 8 months afterwards but after about a month of coming out of hospital the next 7 were not good I didn't notice at first but I could think properly didn't really feel any emotions and some times I couldn't even speak put on loads of weight and just didn't feel good nothing was changing I felt like a zombie so I asked to come off it so I have been off it about two months and I feel so much better I actually feel human again."

lucariney (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2016

For Depression: "I've been off and on this drug for years. It's extremely effective and fast acting, unlike the other psychotropics. It's a powerful med and should only be used sparingly. I'm not schizophrenic or have bipolar but I have some kind of delusional problem; I might have borderline personality disorder, and growing up they thought I might have asberger's, but I'm very social? Mental illness has affected my life, (in a bad way), since I was 15. I've had multiple intentional drug overdoses and tried to hang myself, (not by trying to break my neck). My last suicide attempt happened because I went off 20 mg's a night, cold turkey. That paired with my infatuation with this girl that doesn't ever think about me, caused me to hit rock bottom."

Matt hyer (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I'm 34 year old female that has obsessive thoughts about getting cancer. I have been battling ocd since 14 and this med has been a life changer. Although I still have thoughts I don't freak myself out half as bad. I sleep like a baby too! I have gained weight but loosing it now. 8 pounds total."

Sonja444 September 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have gained roughly 30-35 lbs in 2 months, and I wake up early in the morning with severe back pain. I'm not sure if its keeping anything at bay. but the back pain is terrible, I'm trying to get off this asap, and onto something that doesn't coincide with a very painful wake-up."

BtoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

For Depression: "I'm 47 and have had classic depression and anxiety since my early 20's. Been on citalopram, fluoxetine, marititizapam and now sertraline. Also have dizapam as a back up. This year has been extremely difficult no major incidents but my depression was changing from day to day. No ups but plenty of downs. Finally couldnt cope and pressured the dr to give me something for mood swings in addition to my sertraline. I can say I have felt the best I ever had in 20 years!!!! My mood before was a 4/10 and now its a 7/10 which is great for me. I even seem to get excited about life which I havent done for years. It does make me hungry but I dont care as this so far is a life saver. Also gives me a very dry mouth so need lots of water."

neil dicko August 29, 2016

For Depression: "This drug was prescribed to me for depression and anxiety, but it had an unexpected effect. I simply cannot stop eating. I eat the entire day, and right after I finish eating a full meal, I feel hungry as if I hadn't eaten anything, so I eat again and again. I have gained 9 kg in less than 3 weeks and I am loving it. People always make fun of me because I'm skinny, I never thought a psychiatric drug could fix this.. I am so happy when I look in the mirror. Olanzapine is the best drug if you are a skinny ectomorph who struggles with lack of appetite."

Eduardo81 August 23, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on pretty much everything for anxiety. Had olanzapine 2.5mg which I started taking for a sedative. I currently blacked out and broke my jaw while having panic attack which lead me to pass out and smash my jaw so i cant eat or gain weight which drew me to this med as I had taking it before but didnt like the weight gain. Its been 2 years since Ive been on it and its a smaller dose aswell(used to be on 5mg twice a day). Makes me feel like any other antipycotics, hungry tired groggy ect but it does work for anxiety. I think when Im finally able to eat again il go off this med and back on benzos (as i dont want the weight gain) which i think are the best for anxiety although highly addictive and not to be abused!! GAD/Panic Disorder"

Arimez August 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "This drug calmed me down within an hour. Thoughts became more moderate in most respects over a longer period of time. Having been taking it for four years, my cognitive skills have improved due to improved social functioning. My advice is to give it a chance. Be prepared to tolerate some physical drawbacks for the sake of improved mental functioning and cognitive gains based on stability of mind. It is true that some forcefulness will be lost from your thoughts, but you may want this. Depending on your state of mind, this drug could be a life saver."

Wills45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

For Paranoid Disorder: "This is a pretty cool drug for me. I have used it for about 7 years. It has helped me with anger, mood swings, rapid thinking, and to focus on things you're doing. I've only gained something like 30lbs over these years. Lots of other reviews I've read said they have gained lots of weight not true in my case. I was already overweight before I started taking it. I was like 215 before I started taking this now about 245. I even think it helped me become a better person. I enjoy gambling and I have won quite a bit on this drug. I'm more focused and have become smarter. I stopped for about three months just to see what happens and I was usually mad and angry. So I'm back on it and I'm a happier and effective person. 2.5 milligrams works best."

IPA July 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. I take bupropion daily and Xanax (0.5-1 mg as needed) usually twice a day. I started 3 days ago on 5mg olanzapine (@bedtime) . Wow. Noticed much more stable mood on day 1. Today is day 3 and again, very stable mood and sleeping through the night since starting and am VERY happy with these results so far. I have not had a need for xanax since starting. The only side effect I am experiencing so far is fatigue in the morning hours - no change in appetite or other effects mentioned by others in this column. I will post again in a few months to update my results. "

Naterspud July 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on this drug for 4 months this drug has been a nightmare I am on 15mg soon after taking the drug at night i start feeing clumsy change in walking balance difficulty in speaking shuffling in walks felt complete numbness and feel even more angry and want to through things across the room. feel out of control"

hardeep July 18, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "great medicine for strange thinking or ocd. gained over 70lbs though"

bronson44 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "My depression was so bad my anxiety became horrible and also developed scary thoughts . I tried a few different pills and each one after 3 days I had to stop them due to Bad side effects I was then put on zyprexa 2.5mg and did not expect much from them but I was surprised ! First day I did not feel any different but by day 3 I felt a little better and started day 4 broke my pill record ! I'm on day 7 now and feel a lot better ! I feel like me again I still have some anxiety but it's bearable :) and the bad thoughts seem to get blocked out when starting :) . still no bad side effects I have had a few dizzy moments when bending over and getting up to fast but it passes fast :) I'm glad I started this pill wish it was the first one I tried !!"

Kat88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "Success, success, success! Review Part 2. I now take Xyprexa every day. I take it early so I don't get a hang over effect the next day. Before, I got away with taking it every other day but that doesn't work anymore. with 8 hours sleep an night I am thankful. I don't feel like a zombie. I am taking a higher dose for awhile as to better the longer term effect."

BipolarGuy01 July 10, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "this drug didnt do shit to me. it actually made me feeling worse. my doctor doesnt want to take me off it. ive been taking it for 3 weeks for anxiety and hasnt done anything. plus i have put on 7 kilos. my dosage is 7.5 mg."

tonio78 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Paranoid Disorder: "i was prescribed 2.5mg dose. this medication has been excellent in reducing my hyper-vigilance. it has allowed me to sleep normally again. one side effect is it made my sleep apnea far worse. this caused reduced functionality in areas such as work. overall positive experience. just be aware of potential for compounding sleep apnea."

grrmartin June 6, 2016

For Depression: "Good at what its made to treat but you gain weight even on 2.5. You may as well walk around stoned on anything higher as you eyes go glassy and you get very tired."

Dermot (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2016