User Reviews for Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
7.2

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,278 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took this for GAD and it didn't do anything for me. For OCD and depression, did a little better but needed more from it. Switched off of it and won't be coming back."

Copper360 January 16, 2018

For Anxiety "This got rid of my anxiety completely while on it! I finally got my life back. I’ve been struggling from severe anxiety my whole life and this finally helped. Like every medication, their are some symptoms that slip through. I still get anxious, but not as often, and only like 5 times a day. For me, that’s barely bad. I used to be anxious over EVERYTHING. For my depression it helps me not feel depressed as long, but I still felt almost as equally depressed as before just not everyday. And, most of the time I wasn’t depressed. But it did work better for my anxiety. Overall, everyone reacts to different medications differently so my advice probably won’t be relevant to your experience."

Harrison.nnnnn January 16, 2018

For Depression "For 8 years I had depression which I did not realise I have. Tired after wake up, low motivated, lazy, cry for nothing, stressed easily, gained weight, low libido, insomnia, no social contacts etc. Until I asked help to doctor. I started with 10 mg for 1.5 month and from today 15mg. I am very happy now as I see hudge improvment - tiredness is gone, I can not cry actualy anymore (just can not), I engoy cleaning and organising home, playing with children, I am patient to children mistakes and loudness now again, motivated to improve life, social contacts are pleassure. First 3 weeks was awfull - felt sick, panic, depression, worthless, insomnia but now after 1,5 month I feel back in my skin! Happy. Libido is back again."

Jane77777777853 January 15, 2018

For Anxiety "Here’s the thing there are so many different types of anxiety and depression medications out there, what works well with one person can have horrible effects on another. Keep that in mind when looking for what’s best for you"

Anonymous January 8, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "So I have been suffering from severe social anxiety, major depressive disorder, clinical depression, situational depression, anger issues, suicidal thoughts, and PTSD. I started Lexapro about a year ago for my depression anxiety , and suicidal thoughts . The Lexapro has not been a good medication for me ( I am on 20mg) . Since I am a minor the amount of medications that do not have lethal side affects are limited. So I have tried almost all drugs fit for my diagnoses. The Lexapro only works on my irritability and anger issues. Is works about 20% which is very low. The doctor is in a predicament because the medications are so limited. I think this is a horrible drug for me!"

Crackle the artichoke (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2018

For Anxiety "I took Lexapro for a couple of years and stopped but have now just started back up again due to severe anxiety along with some agoraphobia. The first time I was on it, I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg after two weeks. For me this medication works very well. Startup side effects are slight nausea, jitters, and not sleeping very well. Also more difficult to ejaculate. The jitters which, when you already have anxiety, will only exacerbate the problem until the side effects wear off after about a week or so. It's helpful to have a prescription for Ativan or Xanax on standby to get through any panic attacks during the startup period. When it does kick in, there isn't a "wow, I feel amazing!" moment. More "wow, I don't feel awful anymore.""

pwordtx (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2018

For Depression "This stuff helped me tremendously. I never realized just how bad my depression was until I started taking Lexapro and felt so much better. I actually have the DESIRE to do things, even schoolwork. I no longer have this sense of dread when I wake up in the morning, and I actually enjoy being around people more. I've even received compliments from family about my mood and how much better I am. Only regret is not seeing a doc to start this earlier."

Annie917 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I went through withdrawal from Cymbalta and Benzos at the same time 7 years ago. It was torture and after two years I was still feeling wrecked. Some things improved, I think mainly Benzo related, but was still in a nightmare. I finally gave up and risked going back on an antidepressant so I started Lexapro. I couldn't believe how well it worked and it seemed to take away the lingering withdrawal symptoms. I could think straight and enjoy things again. Worked for three years until it seemed to not help much with my mood anymore. I switched to Prozac which helped for the next couple years and quit working. I'm still on it and feel a lot like when I was withdrawing from Cymbalta. I am going to try Lexapro again. Wish me luck!"

RJC74 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2017

For Depression "In the beginning, Lexapro seemed to work for me. My depressive moods seemed to not be as bad, and I was actually happy for a change. Then around October 2017, I entered perhaps one of the worst periods of depression in my life. I was crying almost 24/7, sleeping excessively, I felt empty inside, plus I felt this intense hurt and sadness for no reason. I have everything to be thankful for, but I couldn't bring myself to even feel happy. A few months later, I found out I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and that the Lexapro was intensifying the Depressive episodes. I urge anybody to use caution, if you end up taking this medicine. If you notice your depression has intensified, and you are on Lexapro, please get help."

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

For Depression "This was the 3rd antidepressant that I've tried and it has done wonders for me. I had no side effects compared to venlafaxine and fluoxetine when I first tried them before this drug. I also needed additional medications for my conditions. Been on this drug for two years and been good so far."

whippet121 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

For Anxiety "Lexapro is the first SSRI I've tried, and it's done wonders for me. I'm not a slave to my moods anymore - I'm extremely grateful for the emotional stability this drug has given me. It's absolutely fantastic for anxiety. The only side effect I've experienced is decreased libido, which is why I'm giving it a 9 and not a 10."

JesseJones (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro has truly changed my life. Prior to taking it, the level of panic I was experiencing felt like I had just tripped on the sidewalk, and my face was headed straight for the pavement. Instead of the terror lasting for a split second though, the terror lasted days on end. I was having suicidal thoughts. Lexapro takes a while to kick in, but once it does, it was like night and day for me. For anyone struggling with anxiety reading this right now, just know better days are ahead of you, and there are solutions out there like Lexapro."

AnxietyAdvocate December 28, 2017

For Depression "Took this drug for 3 years. During the last year I wanted to stop so started reducing my dose and I started going through the withdrawals - they were worse then opiate withdrawal. After the 3rd time I finally made it. Yeah I could of stayed on them the rest of my life but I don't like taking pills.Yes they help me through a very dark period. But wow the withdrawals are bad."

sunshine for real December 26, 2017

For Anxiety "My wife began taking Lexapro about two months ago. After two weeks her personality was unrecognizable. One month after she began taking Lexapro she filed for divorce. She began calling the police on me and of course the police did nothing to me. We had five kids. My whole world, my kids lives, all of it destroyed by this drug. Don't do it."

Thibault (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "My husband is a retired veteran from the Army he has PTSD, depression and anxiety. I introduced my husband to Lexapro which I have taken over the years. I have seen a big change in my husband, and I am thankful. He has stated that I saved his life by introducing him to this medicine. Finally my husband can enjoy life again. Lexapro is an amazing drug anyone out there who suffers from PTSD anxiety or depression I highly suggest you give this medicine to try talk to your Doctor. I for one can say it saved my husband's life"

Shuler (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

For Depression "Today is my 28th day on Lexapro. For the past 3 years or so I’ve been depressed whether I wanted to admit it or not. I had no motivation to do stuff that I once enjoyed doing. It got to the point to where my wife left me and I knew I needed a change. I’m 32 years old and also have had a generalized anxiety disorder. This stuff has helped tremendously with my wife leaving me and me finding myself again. The first 2 weeks on this kind of were a pain but once I made it to about 2.5 weeks in I started to feel great. I honestly don’t know where I’d be without this right now at this time in my life but I’m thankful I found it. I almost let the negative stories get to me but I’m so glad I kept with it!"

Joshhhhh December 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I was suffering bad anxiety when I lost a very close friend. I started to think something was wrong with me and gradually my anxiety took over. I was at the doctor every other day with palpitations thinking I was having a heart attack then thinking I had lumps around that area. After about 6 weeks I finally said to my doctor I need help he prescribed me lexapro 10mgs the first 5 weeks were horrible couldn’t keep awake feeling sick could hardly eat felt awful. Then it kicked in I’m back to myself I find it an amazing medication please stick with it. I’m so happy I did. But as I said first 5 weeks were tough. But now it has turned me back to myself."

Lanahiya (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medicine truly changed my life. I was afraid to go outside, FaceTime family, and even talk on the phone. A few weeks after starting this medication I began to feel like myself again and I didn't even know I wasn't myself until I was able to do things like a normal human being again. I had previously tried Propranolol to make it so my heart rate wouldn't get super high but that wasn't solving the root of the problem. I am very thankful for Lexapro and I highly recommend it if you are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder like I was. I haven't had any side effects either :)"

joshmcorreia (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've had anxiety as long as I can remember. Symptoms like insomnia, eating issues, tons of intense fear around bizarre and unlikely life-threatening situations happening to me. I've also struggled with uncontrollable panic attacks during stressful times. I'm now a junior in college, and after a spell of depression (caused by panic attacks and constant anxiety), I decided to try medication (though, of course, taking meds made me anxious. Ha). I've now been on Lexapro for about 7 weeks, and I am very happy I chose to try it. I'm on 10mg, and the first week was miserable. Like everyone says, stick it out. Now, my outlook is much more positive, and I am way less anxious. Give it a shot! I'm thankful I did."

sophrick December 9, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm a 35-year-old woman and was on Lexapro 10mg from ages 21-30 and have been on 5mg for about 5 weeks now (staying at this dose) - both times for GAD without Depression and a touch of OCD. For the most part, I managed fairly well while off it (exercise, limited alcohol, CBT therapy) but had periods where my anxiety would flare up. My advice would be to try it. I was very anxious about idea of going back on medication (i.e. Googling all the horrible side effects) but I'm feeling significantly calmer, less anxious, and happier. I didn't think I needed medication...until I went back on medication (give it a few weeks) and felt the difference. I had convinced myself I was "OK" but really, I was "white knuckling" through my anxiety."

EOM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro is an absolutely fantastic medication for anxiety. I went on it from 2014-2015 and had life-changing results, but I ended up going off because I gained 10-15 lbs. I ended up switching to Prozac, which is good for anxiety too but it is not the same. Lexapro brought me somewhat of a euphoria. I felt liberated. It feels more "pure" than Prozac. Fast forward to 2017, I have decided to try Lexapro again."

Beyonce (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "If you're reading this and feel that deep, heavy depression in your chest that makes you feel empty inside and like nothing matters, I want to tell you that it does get better and to hang in there. It won't always be like that and you'll be able to see beauty again, but you'll need to be patient and kind to yourself. I felt like that for several months before I had the courage to take Lexapro (it's my first antidepressant) and I truly wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did. I worked up from 5 mg to 15 over 2 months and I never experienced side effects, except the first few days upping the dosage where I was sleepy. My libido has increased because I feel well enough now to have an interest in it. Please know that there is hope."

Sendinghope (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

For Anxiety "So I have been taking Prozac for a long time but I was always taking naps and tired, I didn’t want to do anything go anywhere. I decided to look into Lexapro reviews some of them really scared me. I thought why not give it a shot one of my cousins takes Lexapro. The doctor switched me from Prozac to Lexapro and I’m going on three weeks I feel so much better I have more energy I’m not sleeping all the time. I’m noticing more things that make me happy. I did have side effects in the beginning but they were very mild constipation dizziness tingly feelings but those are starting to go away. I’m so glad I try this medication I hope it continues to work for me. The doctor started me on 5 mg and I’m slowly working my way up to 10 mg. Write your reviews because people actually do read them."

Happy that I switch to Lexapro November 19, 2017

For Anxiety "My first few days I had a lot of nausea as expected then some increased anxiety. But after a few week to around 6 weeks in I was back to my old self. Life saver for me! Everyday prior to taking lexapro for months was a struggle with anxiety and random panic attacks, face tingling, unbalanced feeling and just feeling off all around. 4 months of taking 10 mg and what a relief. Back to socialization, eating better, feeling better With no face tingling. Give it a try for about 6 weeks for full effects and side effects will subside. They did for me."

GiveItTime November 18, 2017

For Anxiety "First time taking 2.5mg Lexapro 3 hours after taking it I could not speak or think or walk normally, had severe nausea and headache, Spent 8 hours in ER. 2nd day have diarrhea and heart palpitations. I only took 2.5mg once. Not for me!"

Diana92708 November 17, 2017