User Reviews for Lexapro

7.4

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.7 1,514 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I am 62 year old male and have been taking 10 Mg of Lexapro for 7 weeks and have been experiencing a myriad of side effects. I have had mild headaches, teeth aches, gas that could launch a small rocket, heart burn, loss of libido, inability to ejaculate, extremely sleepy shortly after taking, I have gained about 10 lbs in 7 weeks due to eating everything in sight. While my family says my mood has improved, I personally do not see or feel enough of an improvement to put up with all these side effects."

shakey26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have GAD with intermittent bouts of depression and always struggle to manage daily stressors because of the excessive rumination. I’ve been on and off lexapro for 15 years. I’ve always known it helps but most recently I was able to fully realize the significance of its effect. I was on 5 mg steadily for the last 2 years, but too much stress triggered me and the rumination, tightening/swirling in chest started again. It was honestly agonizing. My doctor upped me to Lexapro 10mg and all my symptoms of rumination, tightening/swirling in chest dulled or were fully gone in 2 days. I really love this drug!"

K (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2019

For Anxiety "A trauma resulted in acute PTSD-related panic attacks and anxiety. I put up with this for 10 days and then started Lexapro 10mg. I experienced increased anxiety, dry mouth, clenched jaw, muscle twitches, feeling of having to pee, nose bleed, insomnia, headaches, and stomach aches. I still had anxiety attacks. I eventually increased the dose which was hard on me and caused suicidal thoughts for about 3 days. I was on Lexapro for a total of 3 months and felt better but was still having some anxiety attacks. I decided to switch to Celexa 20 mg. I have been on Celexa for 3.5 months now. No anxiety attacks and able to do everything I did before. Unsure if this is due to time evolving since my trauma or the medication. I have a general sadness some days. I definitely am in a way better spot than 6 months ago. You don't always think you are getting better in the moment but if you look at the big picture and compare to how you felt 1 month ago/2 months ago etc you will notice improvements."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2019

For Depression "I’ve been on 5mg lexapro for three months now actually for bipolar disorder and WOW I feel so different from when I first started. Anxiety and depression is under control for the most part and no more crazy dissociation and ruminating thoughts. The first week taking Lexapro is usually the worst week in terms of side effects, as I was nauseous, restless, agitated, and irritated. I did experience brain zaps too, but the side effects did go away after the first week. I also sometimes experience blunted affect from taking this medication, but for the most part I do finally feel like my normal self again."

ur mum (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2019

For Anxiety "Started 5mg Lexapro for 2 weeks, and had pelvic pain for 4 days, and daily headaches. Tried 10mg, big mistake, felt awful all day, went back down to 5mg, for a few day, then 2.5 for a few days, now 2.5mg every other day, and will stop taking it. As I have migraines, insomnia, neck pain, and now a new diagnosis of primary cough headache, the neurologist suggested Amitriptyline. So I will try it after I'm done tapering off the Lexapro. I really wanted it to work, but I've been taking OTC meds for the headaches everyday which wasn't good."

sak9210 May 6, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The main reason I went on this drug is because both my parents were dying at the same time and I could barely function. The lexapro took the edge off immediately. A life saver at that time. I could cope and digest what was going on with dealing with two deaths and funerals. I am not sure how long I will stay on it. It has mellowed me out almost too much at times but I am so much calmer with my teenage boys, husband and at work! Things just don’t bother me like before. My son who has ASD and is also taking lexapro and we have seen a huge difference in his social anxiety. He wakes up easier and we can get him out the door for school with out the grief we had before. We both take 10 mg. I know this drug isn’t for everyone because our body chemistry is different but for my sister, son and I it has really helped. I also believe in going to therapy and regular doctor visits for med checks. We precious humans need to take care of our mental health as we are with it."

Tina May 6, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "On Lexapro 40 mg everyday since 2017 for MDD and anxiety and it works. With MDD I used to have severe feelings of worthlessness and suicidal ideations. That’s lessened from 10 to 4. With GAD I had severe crippling anxiety to where I couldn’t be around lots of people and had insomnia from nonstop racing thoughts. Lessened from 10 to 5, no more crippling anxiety but small daily bouts of being uncomfortable."

RlovesH (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Do not take it I had terrible anxiety and could not eat due to my anxiety and depression, I started taking Lexapro and thought I would give it a few days. However I'm 5 feet tall and only weighed 90 pounds, when I started on Lexapro, I was vomiting EVERY MORNING AND EVENING FOR 2 WEEKS. I lost 10 pounds again, quickly. My mind started thinking there was physically something wrong with my health and went for HIV tests because I've getting headaches and vomiting every day. Luckily I was negative. I realized it was LEXAPRO THAT MADE ME PHYSICALLY ILL. Not only that but I became suicidal as well. LEXAPRO SHOULD BE BANNED! WORST DRUG EVER IF NOT ALL THE SSRI's out there. Try and take a SNRI instead. I'm on Remeron now and it has little side effects. "

Mchellie (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

For Depression "It helped me take away my PTSD spirals and panic attacks -sometimes. I’m disappointed, but I’m more disappointed my doctor didn’t recognize my stomach issues as a side effect. For years I’ve been on Lexapro and I’ve been tired all the time, depressed, and it honestly made it worse. Finally got off after coming clean to everyone about my dark thoughts that are my PTSD/ shame I’ve hidden because I didn’t think my childhood sexual trauma would be the cause? I’m not disappointed in the drug but the way we use it. I had to feel the hard feelings and the drug was in the way. I hope others find it helpful."

Emily (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2019

For Anxiety "I was diagnosed with Lexapro induced Toxic Encephalopathy and resulting dementia. These drugs are now linked to dementia and early death. The Medical and pharma system is currently being reviewed at this time. If you want to the study then just search "Increased Risk of Dementia in Patients with Antidepressants: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies""

Sam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2019

For Anxiety "Do not take this rubbish drug. Made my anxiety 100 times worse. Restlessness, insomnia, all of it. Overall terrible drug and wouldn't wish the way I feel right now on my worst enemy. I pray I'll get better each day."

asfgjksqw (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking lexapro 5mg for 3 months. I was an emotional wreck before starting, I failed my first year of university, and was doing a lot of drugs and alcohol to cope. First 2 days on lexapro I had diarrhea and 1 explosive aggressive outburst at a coworker, I had really dry lips and mouth first two weeks. My life has been gradually improving since then, my memory and mathematics is sharper and clearer. I am more organised and have better sleep. The ruminating has decreased and I quit the drugs and alcohol two months ago. Negative side effects I feel very fatigued and drowsy but meditating and yoga helps. I also get jaw clenches. Lexapro has not affected my sex drive like I've read in other peoples posts I also gained 3kg."

Lexafan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2019

For Anxiety "Lexapro (cipralex) is effective for my social anxiety."

Amine (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2019

For Anxiety "I haven’t been on Lexapro long, but it has cured my insomnia within 7 days. I take 10 mg 4 hours before ideal bedtime. I haven’t had severe side effects - my side effects were: was waking mid-night the first few nights, had bad heart burn, digestive issues, and vomited once. All of those side effects went away fairly quickly. Stressed induced IBS went away/reduced within 1.5 weeks. Anxiety is reducing. Depressed feelings lifting. I feel a bit jittery ~60 minutes after taking but that may subside/is tolerable. Would highly suggest this medication, stick with it for a few weeks because initial side effects are normal. I have been told 1-2 months for full effects."

OhCanada (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Changed my life for the better. I highly recommend it. Give it a shot!"

Jj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2019

For Anxiety "Started taking lexapro at 10mg. Was than increased to 20mg. I can say it has help my depression a lot. I think that it gives me a bit of short term memory loss but this is great for anxiety (social anxiety) and depression because if I get vivid thoughts, I forget them fast and am able to concentrate on something else; this makes me able not keep bring up bad thoughts which was one of the biggest struggles for me. Amazing antidepressant I recommended it especially for social anxiety/generalized anxiety. I'm very happy with it. Only downfall is the side effects which only lasts the first 1-2 weeks."

dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2019

For Anxiety "I have had anxiety and depression since puberty (I am now 32). Over the years my depression has subsided and my anxiety gotten worse. I had always avoided antidepressants because I wanted to exhaust more holistic approaches before having to take a maintenance medication. Eventually it got to a point where I realized I was doing everything I could (exercise, eating well, meditation, drinking less, sleeping 7-9 hours a night) and was still suffering. My GP put me on 10 MG of Lexapro and I can absolutely say I am much better than I was before. My anxiety is significantly more manageable and I am definitely more confident. I did have side effects for the first 4-6 weeks (fatigue and night sweats) but they subsided and I think it was worth it. I am glad I finally made the decision to go on an antidepressant and for me, Lexapro was the right choice."

MuchBetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've suffered with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder for 28 years. I was terrified of taking medicine for fear of feeling out of control of myself. The first week of starting lexapro was very difficult for me. My anxiety seemed to worsen a bit during the first week but on day 10 my life began to change forever, I began to feel normal and get back my old self. I've been on 20 mg for 7 months and it has changed my life. I can do things that were difficult for me without worrying excessively and don't feel that panic feeling anymore. I'm very happy and my family is too. I don't feel the limitations that my anxiety had imposed on me most of my life. I feel free to live again. I highly recommend trying this even if you're scared to death like I was. Now I just feel normal."

Jdow70 April 14, 2019

For Anxiety "Absolutely destroyed my stomach. When I eat just a carrot my stomach bloats to 3x it's normal size. I have a flat stomach and I'm fit so it isn't comfortable at all. It also hasn't helped with my PTSD, anxiety, or depression. I have felt no difference in my symptoms."

Della (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My issues: OCD, ADHD, depression, anxiety and panic attacks, annoyed, unhappy, extremely high sex drive, negative. Lexapro helped my anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and lower my sex drive for a week, than came back up not so high but to normal. Although I been waking up slightly early it makes me attack any task that may be bothering me. Time line and reason for taking. Parents lost their home 2008. Parents divorced 2009. Almost lost my marriage 2018. Also 2018 had to start a new job, turns out boss was extremely abusive, later on would try to make up by buying us lunch. My emotions fluctuated"

Dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

For Depression "The good side of Lexapro reduces unwanted thoughts associated with depression ie suicidal thoughts. The other side of Lexapro is it's ability to increase interest in life activities. There are more pros to Lexapro than cons. An added benefit is that it builds up your inner strength to navigate through anxiety. It also mysteriously decreases interest in sex, which is not always a bad thing. Lexapro isn't physically energizing. It's more sedating, but also not great for insomnia. The best part of Lexapro is that it works for many months maybe many years and buys you plenty of time to adjust your life to make it better. The sad part is that it's not euphoric which would be nice every once in a while.I had a rare side effect starting Lexapro where I'd have to take OTC pain relievers because of muscle pain, but it went away after a month or two."

thomas aquinas April 9, 2019

For Depression "Worse med I’ve ever taken. I started with 20mg. The first day I felt like I was high. I was super anxious and paranoid. I was super shaky. Randomly crying. When I say crying I was sobbing I couldn’t stop. I felt tense and I couldn’t stand up because I was dizzy. I was scared to go through a door way because I felt like the room got small. I felt really suicidal, I took myself to the hospital because I didn’t feel like myself. I have major depression and this caused me to feel like I hit rock bottom. I discontinued after the first dose. Scared to try anything else."

Tes (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

For Depression "Totally useless! Started this med at 10mg lexapro for OCD. Did not experience any relief from my symptoms til I started going to a psychologist. My psychiatrist advised me to stay on it and it was a huge mistake. Years later I suddenly became extremely depressed in spite of being on it!! Dr bumped it up to 20mg but still did nothing!! Later it was a bunch of trial and error trying different meds to finally feel better. I tried being off any medication for a while but it was very hard to sleep so having started Lexapro has essentially permanently changed things in a bad way for me! Stay away from this useless med!!! For OCD, I recommend going to a psychologist first before starting any medication."

Zzz (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "For the past year or so, my anxiety has been at an all time high. I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't eat a full meal. I felt lost and hopeless. A few weeks into my new job, I went to a new physician's assistant. She prescribed 10 mg of Lexapro daily for anxiety, and 50 mg of hydroxyzine as needed for anxiety and insomnia. She also suggested I look into therapy. The two days of Lexapro was a nightmare. I was foggy, dizzy, nauseous, and not able to stay awake for more than a few hours. I went onto this website and read testimonials that inspired me to keep going. Now that I am 4 weeks in, I am so happy I decided to stay on Lexapro. I am able to tackle stressors more effectively. I feel more content and happy in my everyday interactions, and am leaning more into my support system of close friends and family. My appetite is normal and food actually tastes good again. I am looking into counselling/therapy options. I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time."

funsize April 3, 2019

For Anxiety "I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I started taking it to treat my worsening anxiety due to stress, school, family, etc. After a few weeks of taking it my anxiety was a lot better I was more calm, peaceful, etc. But I started becoming tired all the time and super unmotivated and lack of enjoyment in the things I once loved. Then I started realizing how much more depressed I was becoming. I am still taking Lexapro but now my depression is worsening I have suffered from depression in the past and while Lexapro has helped my anxiety it has made me extremely depressed."

mylifesamess (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019