User Reviews for Lexapro

7.5

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,340 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffer with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, emetophobia AND depression. I know, quite a list. I have suffered for over 40 years. Mainly due to the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I feared side effects of meds. This is the 2nd time in my life being on prescription meds. I started taking Alprazolam in 2004. This was great, I am still on the same dose I was back then. 0.5 mg. This gave me a life outside of my home!!! I was basically housebound since I was 14. By 2009, I told my Dr. of 30 years I wanted more of a life. I hadn't seen the ocean since I was 13. I NEEDED to get there again. He put me on Lexapro. My dr. put in a special authorization to the insurance company. You may want to talk to your Dr. and have him do this for you."

Bonnie June 11, 2018

For Anxiety "I started taking Lexapro a month ago. I felt it working right away, which I was told I wouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. I always had non stop leg shaking and my jaw would clench tight for the first week. Forget about sex!! ughhh that is why I am giving an 8, but I am just happy I don't have to cry every night over a box of crayons or be unfocused because the anxiety was so high."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

For Depression "Please!!! Do not take this drug unless you are willing to go through the horrible side affects. At first you may need it or think you need it. I've been on for over 10 years. It might work but eventually you start feeling like rubbish and when you want to try to go off it!! Have fun. Instead find something else - look at all your options!! It's worth the time to do your research or go through these horrible withdrawals!!"

Duke June 7, 2018

For Anxiety "I have tried this before and found some relief. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it blunts my emotions."

Ian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

For Depression "I am over 59 years old, female, post menopausal, and have benign hypertension (controlled by medication). I take .75 MG Xanax at bedtime and have for years. I began Lexapro March 29, 2018, 5MG and increased to 10MG. I had a routine blood test. There are now macrocytes in my blood results. I have never had this before so I did some in depth research. One study involved over 60,000 people. Women my age and older who take Xanax, have high blood pressure, and are post menopausal account for 95.5% of those in the study who develop macrocytosis. Since this condition is potentially dangerous, do blood work often if you have to take it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and am feeling so much better, as I used to have this flatness hanging over me I couldn't shake. The first 2 weeks were hard to adjust to as I felt nauseous, tired and fuzzy headed from the drug. Now I'm feeling so much calmer and the fog has lifted. No full on side effects like weight gain or loss of libido for me. I am taking 10mg at 7pm and would totally recommend for anyone who has been trying to cope with depression. Hope you feel better soon."

Bec (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

For Anxiety "I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

mick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2018

For Anxiety "I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have taken Lexapro(Brand only) for years. I Tried the generic twice for the insurance companies. 5 generic tabs did not produce the results that 1 Lexapro Brand did. Recently for the 3rd time United Healthcare simply decided that they would just "Not Paid for Lexapro". Every genetic make-up is different. Lexapro works for me, however I cannot pay $535.00/ month. I am suffering terribly and will probably lose my job and livelihood tomorrow because I cannot cope. I wish the insurance company would have to pay unemployment benefits."

nurse (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've now been on lexapro for 5 months now. Doctor started me on 5 mg. The initial side effects for me were drowsiness after taking so I took it after dinner. I am now at 15mg. I no longer experience drowsiness. I am a completely different person. I am so happy I stuck through it. This medication takes time! I am now able to have small talk with cashiers. I am able to take better care of myself. I don't feel as anxious and for the first time in my life and I feel comfortable with myself. My emotions are very stable. I no longer get stuck in a deep depression or self destructive thoughts. The long term side effects I've experienced is not being able to orgasm as well and 6lb weight gain."

Geogaddi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

For Anxiety "I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Dawn (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

For Depression "I have used Lexapro for approximately. 8 years. I can't say that the drug is an effective antidepressant but it does modulate mood swings and generally improves my sense of well being."

Barry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi all, I have been suffering from severe generalised anxiety disorder with social anxiety since I was 25. I am turning 31 in a couple of weeks. Throughout this time I've been on and off sertraline. I always found that the initial 2 or 3 weeks were OK but then I'd be back to square one with my anxiety. I am currently taking 10mg for the last 3 weeks and I feel the past 3 days I'm back to square one completely. I'm not sleeping, eating, I just am not functioning. I've a 16 month old son, a partner and a job that I need to be well for. Has anyone any advice on what medications, maybe a combination, have been affective in completely ridding their anxiety and allowing them to function? Desperate for help and advice. Thanks."

C87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

For Anxiety "If you have Bipolar, mania or any kind of mood shifting disorder, do NOT take lexapro. It can work well for most but NOT if you have a mood disorder."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

For Anxiety "I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Mary May 15, 2018

For Depression "I had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for 8 yrs thanks to CBT. But I became depressed so I decided to try 5mg Lexapro. 1st week I felt apathetic & lethargic. The 2nd week I had anxiety, panic attacks, hypomania, extreme fidgetiness, internal vibrations, strange cold sensations & a fast heart rate. I tried to stick it out, but after 3.5 wks the symptoms became unbearable. After stopping, it has taken a month for my body to begin to feel normal again. After seeing multiple psychs, I believe I experieneced SSRI-induced “activation syndrome.” A genetic test later advised me to not take SSRI’s b/c I may have an “adverse reaction.” My prescribing doc did not recognize the activation syndrome but instead thought my symptoms pointed to Bipolar II & ADHD (untrue). These drugs are still experimental & docs aren’t always aware of side effects. I did notice increased positive thinking & motivation on Lexapro, but with the awful side effects it just wasn’t worth continuing."

rainbowbrite9 May 14, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My bloodwork was abnormal, body was expressing hypothyroidism but my heart said hyper. The past 2 years have been awful from increasing anxiety, night terrors to the point I was scared to sleep, then I started to have high blood pressure w/ headaches. A 30 year old with cardiac issues. Body would tense I had tingling in my neck and jaw I felt like I was under water my head would get foggie, sinkable episodes. I always kept my doctor in Nj. But she told me when you're ready come to me. I broke down. Being in the medical field no one likes the idea of a SSRI's. I'm not depressed. All the research. Then she told me try lexapro. Give it a month and let me know. Lexapro I was able to handle things better. A month hit and I'm like I don't feel anything. Went off it after a month for a week. Night terrors came back, sweats, my OCD was horrible. I mowed a lawn 3 times. I went back on it. Add that to PTSD, stress, thyroid and life. Lexapro has made all the difference."

CapeMay May 11, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I’d been on Effexor XR for 4 years & decided to wean off it in January to see if I could manage on amino acids & nutrition and I was great until my mother-in-law passed away & the issues that arise in a blended family regarding wills/money etc all got to be too much. I realised that I needed medication & talk therapy again so went to my GP & asked to go on Lexapro as I’d heard good things about using it to treat GAD. Big mistake, I was on this medication for 11 days trying to white knuckle it through the “side effects” & almost lost my mind, SSRI’s obviously aren’t for me as I had a similar reaction to Prozac. I stopped the meds cold turkey as advised by my doctor & felt better later that day, today is day 1 back on Effexor XR & my mood has already lifted. Trust your instincts, if it feels wrong it might not just be “side effects”."

Mumof2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "It can cause permanent sexual dysfunction , even after years of stoppingI "

PSSD (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffered from irregular anxiety and panic attacks so bad I would vomit and be incapacitated for days. Then a few stressful family events happened all at once and suddenly I was having panic attacks daily. I decided to try medication as I wasn’t able to calm down from my panicked state and knew something had to change. So I started Lexapro 10mg. At first my anxiety was more severe and I was feeling depressed when I had never been a depressed person before. My doctor told me to stick with it and I’m glad I did. After about 4 weeks I felt stable and happy. I had a good appetite for the first time in years and felt like I could handle day to day issues with confidence again. It’s been about 3 months now and I feel more capable and functional than ever. I would advise anyone struggling with the early stages to stick with it and to speak to a psychologist to get some coping strategies as well. It really helped me to talk to someone and better understand what was happening to me."

Nolongerafraid May 6, 2018

For Anxiety "Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

For Anxiety "Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

A.k (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

For Anxiety "The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

middle age (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’m on my third day on Lexapro double dose to 20 mg. Muscle stiffness, major headache, fatigue, trouble sleeping, fast heart rate, and lower backaches. Weight gain. Blah! I tried Effexor and Zoloft. Both gave me rapid heart rate and major blood pressure. I had to go off of them and the effects of going off was like dying. I had more side affects than when I started and triple that effects. I’m hoping the Lexapro will do better and the side affects will not stay. This is my fifth SSRI."

Hyang61 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

For Depression "Six months on escitalopram. The first 6 weeks were really hard. Insomnia, anxiety, aches, disturbing dreams, intrusive thoughts, flu-like symptoms, stomach issues, tremors, tingling, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms did ease up some after six weeks, but never went away. They were manageable though. About 2 months ago, the symptoms increased like the drug gave out. Two weeks ago, the symptoms kicked into high gear. Horrible fatigue that can't be rested away. Insomnia is back with a vengeance. Flu-like symptoms too that make you feel awful. And the anxiety! I could crawl out of my skin right now. It hasn't eased up either. Like flipping a switch, I just started feeling bad almost in an instant. The doc decided it was the escitalopram and are weaning me off. If I can get past this, I'll never touch it again. I was on Zoloft for years prior and it worked great but you can't take it with Tamoxifen. I know escitalopram is rated well by most people, but I can't tolerate it."

CSA1861 May 2, 2018