User Reviews for Lexapro

Major Depressive Disorder
7.1

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,386 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "After years of battling depression, anxiety and insomnia I finally broke down and went to the doctor again. This time determined to ride out the horrible side effects and actually let it work. I didn't want to be on medication and most cause weight gain, which was a big part of why I fought it so long. But Lexapro was the right choice for me. Getting through the adjustment period was rough, but in about 3 weeks I was feeling notably better. Still on 5mg and will stay on this dose as long as possible. It has been 2 months and I have gained a couple pounds, but I have also been very undisciplined with my eating. Stick with it, good luck!"

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Anxiety "I was depressed because of my anxiety. I started taking Lexapro 9 weeks ago and feel the depression lifted, but going places (my trigger for the anxiety) is still there. My doctor tells me to hang in there. And I am. But I'm not sure it's helping with my anxiety. I rarely leave the house. I hope something switches soon. I need to take something for my anxiety and that alone. Lexapro works for depression part. Has anyone found a well-working medication for just anxiety? Because that is what I need."

Long-time sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

For Anxiety "I have just started my round of Auro-Escitalopram and I am on day 5 of my 5mg half-tab before going on a full 10mg tablet. I take my medication at night time. The first 3 days were sort of rough; I felt different. I could not put my finger on why but I felt a bit sedated, a little odd and definitely felt “drugged”. I had a mild headache, some dizziness and I felt like I was going to faint. My appetite has diminished, my stomach was upset, I am also gassy and had some dry mouth. The first 3 nights I was also met with mild restlessness and it was hard for me to sleep longer than 5 hours. I woke up at 3AM and was peeing like crazy. With that being said, the side effects have subsided somewhat after day 5 and I am starting to notice that I can start to control my racing thoughts. I get tired at bed time like a normal human being and I can finally wake up in the morning without feeling like a zombie."

LittleAnxiousOne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years."

Orangejuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

For Anxiety "I have started cipralex for the first time on 2013 and I was very tired suffering from severe anxiety causing me very depressed . My dose was 5mg for two weeks, 10mg for month 20mg for year then 10mg again and I stayed on 10 mg for 4 years and it was life saving. After that I decided to stop medication because I thought that I am well. It was 6 months after that that I had a severe relapse. I thought that this time I will not be able to survive again because I started again but for three month no relief, I was very tired and exhausted and drained out of any type of energy but I decided to stick with it reading reviews here. After 4months I started feeling some relief but not total well as the previous time. So I decided to do some tests with my doctor and he told that B12 level in my blood was only 73 and that was making me very depressed And when I took B12 medication it was like magic. I am alive again Cipralex start working."

Story September 8, 2018

For Depression "Lexapro is one of the best anti-depressants available. It takes about a month to kick in (you can read online about why these medicines take so long to work, it's complicated). I'm on 20 mg, very few side effects, one being it takes longer to have an orgasm. Overall, good medication."

Pon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2018

For Anxiety "I was on this for 3 weeks and could feel it helping my anxiety, but it made me pee constantly and I was getting up 3-5 times every night to pee. Every single night. It was like my bladder was never fully empty. Obviously this was majorly affecting my sleep. It also gave me terrible gas, like the worst of my life. For these reasons, I had to stop taking it. I’m surprised I haven’t read more reviews with similar symptoms."

Kris10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I suffer from Schizoaffective disorder which is like schizophrenia combined with Major Depressive Disorder, and I take Lexapro as my anti-depressant/SSRI and so far love it. Been on it for about 1 year and what it does for me is lessen anxiety, prevents panic attacks, prevents traumatic flashbacks, AND controls my depression and prevents me from harming myself. So I have nothing but good things to say about Lexapro. Before this I was on Celexa but that had stopped working after a number of years. My psychiatrist explained Lexapro is supposed to be a newer form of Celexa that is more effective and fewer side effects, and based on my experience on this medication I would have to agree with that."

Coryman616 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was diagnosed with GAD and depression in 2008 and was prescribed this by my psych. 10 mg of lexapro it worked wonders for my GAD and depression. I was also prescribed klonopin to take as needed for anxiety. Lexapro is the drug for me. I changed psychiatrists recently and she increased my dosage to 20mg daily of lexapro. Also she had me on 100 mg of vistaril to take as needed. Vistaril had practically no effect on me. Also I was prescribed 15 mg of mirtazapine At bedtime with mirtazapine I sleep like a baby Side effects are vivid dreams and increased appetite. This my first drugs review I would like to hear from anyone on these 3 meds and share their experiences with me, thanks"

Jon September 1, 2018

For Depression "This drug has saved my life! I started on 10mg and then got moved up to 20. I fortunately didn't have any side effects. I remember after my doctor suggested lexapro, I spent hours on this site reading reviews. I was nervous, but I'm so glad I decided to start lexapro. I had been experience anxiety and depression and lexapro has tremendously helped both. I didn't realize how bad my symptoms were until I got relief! I don't feel like I need to sleep all day now. Talking with people and making phone calls doesn't seem like a huge painful chore. I feel lighter and can motivate myself to get done what I have to. I also am in therapy which helps with some of my maladaptive thinking and negative self thoughts (those patterns won't go away overnight) I'm more equipped to challenge those thoughts on this medication. Sometimes my anxiety creeps back up for no reason and I've since been prescribed a PRN but overall I'm satisfied with my experience. I would recommend lexapro!"

ob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

For Depression "This medicine made my depression/anxiety worse. I'm 22 years old, and I was warned that people under 25 may have suicidal thoughts or worsening mood. My doctor prescribed me 10mg for depression/anxiety and insomnia. For the first 3 weeks, I didn't feel any change in mood and wasn't sleeping any better but thought I had to give it more time. Then the next 2 weeks were BAD. When I was driving I had thoughts like "If anyone were to crash into me right now I wouldn't care." And thoughts like that scared me! I went to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to Paxil. Please be careful if you are young and taking this drug."

tiredgymgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Anxiety "I started the medication due to panic attacks and anxiety. Initially I had much worsening anxiety and depression. I had improvement in anxiety symptoms after about 3 weeks. HOWEVER I was very ill and bedridden. My mind was calm but also I did not want to do anything. I didn't care about anything. I lost my car, my home, my job - everything because I didn't care! I was always sleepy and could sleep 14 hours straight. I had major sexual dysfunction at 26 years. I tapered off slowly after about 8 weeks. I was left with constant dizziness weeks after to the point that I fell down the stairs. Over a month after stopping, I'm doing well. No meds. Just making positive changes and counselling and trying to get back everything I lost in a couple of months on this med. I still have a little anxiety but I'm learning to control it. Gotta control it or it'll control you! I've learned that anxiety is like a bully. You have to confront it and not try to ignore it. Move TOWARD your fear! Slowly it will get better!"

tito August 29, 2018

For Depression "I tried Lexapro for a month, it did work for my depression, I had hardly any side effects but this one: It made me lose my hair!! I went off of it immediately, I'm now trying to look for another antidepressant that does not make me lose hair"

Downer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

For Anxiety "I have suffered from anxiety for a very long time and I always had stigma over taking medicine for it. As a 21 year old and a college student, I wasn't living my life like I should have been. I always stressing about EVERYTHING, I didn't sleep, I cried over every little inconvenience, I could never wind down and take a nap for example, I was always agitated, had rapid heart beat, and so much more. I wasn't living, I was suffering. I finally took the decision to take Lexapro and at first; the side effects weren't pleasurable I will say that. But after a week, they started going away and I could tell I was getting better. It is now about 6 weeks in or more, I can notice a huge improvement. I'm much more calm and I am so much happier. If you are on the fence on taking this medication, I would still do it and try. It has helped me and honestly, saved my life for the better."

nat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Anxiety "22 female. Diagnosed GAD for 4 years. I've been on 10mg Lexapro for about 10 weeks now. Anxiety mostly characterized by racing thoughts, over analyzing, and overthinking. The first two weeks I had increased anxiety, and nausea. I didn't feel anything until the full two months. Its not a significant change but it takes the edge off. I have more motivation, can recognize my trailing thoughts and compulsions and stop them before they spiral out of control. I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of certain situations. I feel like I have more control and that I am gaining my life back. My anxiety was focused on my relationship at the time I started (constant overanalyzing, creating problems that don't exist, worried about making mistakes) which eventually got to the point that it was effecting my work ability. I still have some anxiety which is GOOD because I want to be able to manage it on my own. I think a lot of it is the medication and my own personal work. Overall I am very satisfied"

Ray August 20, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I trudged through 15 years of depression and anxiety too afraid to pick up the phone, too embarrassed to be the next one in my family who admits mental health issues. I finally forced myself to make an appointment with a doctor I didn't even know. Just over 3 months on Lexapro later, and it's the best decision I've ever made. I started on 10mg and am now on 20mg. Sweating and tingles were my only side effects, and only for the first week on 10mg and the first week on 20mg. They faded, and it would have been worth it even if they hadn't. I am now positive throughout my day, don't have the afternoon crash, and don't dread every work moment anymore. 9 /10"

CardinalsDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

For Anxiety "I think it is working well at the moment but I am on kolopin also. I think it is for much for same problem lexapro 20 mg an kolopin is .05 at night. What do you think."

Dad1941 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

For Depression "I have been on lexapro for around 9 months. I started on 10mg then went to 15mg (liquid version). It worked well to start off but then it started to not work as often. It made me gain 13kgs in the span of 7 months and for that side effect, the drug wasn't doing enough for me. I am now going to change to another medicine, maybe prozac and see how I go."

Lisayyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2018

For Anxiety "There’s no need to be suffering. This medication is an anxiety GAME CHANGER. I’m on 10mg a day. I work out every day have not gained an ounce. 6 months later my sex life is thriving! When you feel better, you feel sexier. I’m 47 and shocked folks are having sex issues and weight gain. Get out there and grab life!"

Paula (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Thank goodness for this med. I had severe anxiety after I had my baby. So bad I couldn't eat, sleep, etc. A few weeks on this and I was a new person. I got to be the mother I wanted to be. I'm so glad I have my life back."

Goose Lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 15, 2018

For Anxiety "I'm making an update ( from my 5 week post) as I'm now approaching the two month mark on Lexapro. I am on 10 mg, and I'm feeling like a happier and less nervous wreck than I was 2 months ago. I feel motivated when I wake up, I'm back to working out again, I don't cry over senseless matters anymore, and I don't get angry over the smallest matters. I feel more comfortable going out in public again and holding conversations, whereas that felt impossible before starting Lexapro. I still have work I need to do outside of just taking Lexapro and expecting it to change my life, but it's given me the motivation to help myself and not feel miserable in the process. Only con I have at this point is occasional brain fog, but I've found that keeping a consistent sleeping routine and eating healthier has helped that a lot. I hope you all feel better soon and stay encouraged that recovery is possible! You will find what works for you! Be blessed."

Starry87 August 15, 2018

For Depression "Lexapro was my miracle medication for a couple of years and all of sudden it stopped working. I had very little side effects, if any, and it gave me my life back. Years later, we tried Lexapro again with no relief from depression."

Dixie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

For Depression "I currently take Lexapro 17.5mg for OCD/depression/anxiety. This drug has given me my life back. I was going off the deep end until I was prescribed this medication. I had some side effects to start off (trouble sleeping, weight gain), but have curbed these side effects through diet and exercise. Lexapro does a great job lifting depression and definitely helps with anxiety. I highly recommend this SSRI over Zoloft, which I was on for about 2 years. I also like the fact that the dosing of this med is much lower than that of Zoloft. Great experience with Lexapro. Helps with some of my anger too."

K-Man-Money (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

For Anxiety "After suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for around 25 years. The panic attacks were only getting worse. I couldn’t even have a conversation with another person without getting really anxious and having to leave the situation. I had to do something, I wanted my life back! My doctor prescribed me the generic brand 5mg. I didn’t want to take it because just like you reading this, the thought of taking it made me even more anxious. I started taking it July 29th. I am taking 2.5mg as of right now. I honestly felt more calm the first night I took it. The next day I just felt kinda foggy and tired. I am on day 4. It makes me nauseous, a little dizzy sometimes if I get up to fast, and it has given me gas, as well as feeling a little more anxious during the day at time. I take it at night around 9. I am going to stick it out and see what happens. I’m really hoping that this medicine is what I need to get my life back."

Staying positive (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

For Depression "Just started on this medicine. I really can't rate it, I do know it gives me a headache. From all the reviews the first couple of weeks are the hardest. We shall see."

Vicky (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes