User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 1,830 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of those users who reviewed Lexapro reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 8.3
Anxiety 7.5
Depression 7.2
Major Depressive Disorder 6.3
Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.5 1,830 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

Moly January 25, 2021

For Anxiety: “I have OCD intrusive thoughts. I have so much anxiety that I can’t sleep. Sometimes I’ll be up for hours and only sleep 1-3 hours a night. My anxiety will feel like death, I literally feel like someone is going to hurt me and death is near. My chest will hurt, I can’t think and my hands tingle. I can barely function and I have a family and work full time. Pros: After taking Lexapro, I have not had any anxiety, I am able to sleep at night. And I don’t even have a lot of intrusive thoughts. If I do, I’m able to think clearly. And I don’t perform compulsions either. I went from a high 20 level of anxiety to about a 1-2. It works for me! Cons: the downside is that it will mess with your sexual drive, or inability to orgasm. I’m happily married so this is awful. I’m hoping this is temporary, and I wished there were other side effects. But I’m not sure how long I’ll be on this medication due to this side effect.”

Cooper6903 · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

For Anxiety: “Today my 4th day on this med my doctor started me on 10 mg dose. The side effects have been horrible: headaches, nausea, the worst side effect is that I literally can't get out of bed and I haven't been to work in 4 days. Doctor told me to cut the 10mg tablet in half start taking it at night because my body is getting used to the serotonin, I can't sleep and it has been like this for a couple of days. I haven't gotten anxiety but have gotten panic attacks very little. I will update”

Murph · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2021

For Anxiety: “Hey Gang, I suffered from DP/DR and depression because of it. It nearly was the last straw for me last year in 2020, but I read these reviews and it gave me hope. I took a gene test, learned that I needed to supplement with Deplin due to MTFHR gene. I paired 5MG of lexapro w/ .5mg Rexulti and my life changed. I had zero sexual side effects which was a major concern for me and most of all, I'm doing the things I love again.”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2021

For Anxiety: “I have been on Lexapro 6 weeks now 5mg. I have been suffering with anxiety for years and finally decided to talk to my doctor about it. I wish I started it sooner!!! It has been a life changer.”

Bex · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2021

For Anxiety: “I thought I could cope without antidepressants & wasted many years of my life struggling with stress & anxiety. After an extremely stressful event I eventually 'crashed' & could no longer function. I couldn't eat, had terrible restlessness, I felt like I was detached from everyone & everything, I couldn't focus, I was confused, not sleeping at all most nights & depression hit hard. I had no choice but to begin medication immediately. The initial side effects of Cipralex wore off after about 2 weeks. My appetite returned, I began sleeping again & I felt calm. The side effects were minimal & were a small price to pay for the benefits of the medication. I was on 10mg for 14 months & tapered off gradually over 4 months. I had discontinuation symptoms of anxiety & insomnia for a few days but it's now been 2 weeks since stopping completely & I'm feeling great!”

Leslie · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

For Anxiety: “An anti-depressant that makes you horny. First I would like to say that I have tried every anti-depressant know to man or woman!!! My last Script was celexa it was ok but coming off that stuff made me want till stab everyone and sex was close to non existent. Now here is the good part! Doc tried me on lexapro no noticeable change after day 1, Day 2 I felt really calm but day 3 Wow!!!! All I could think about was sex! I was so wet. I have really bad anxiety and lexapro is orgasmic bliss!!! Thanks Doc. Leslie From South Carolina”

Todd Dillerson January 17, 2021

For Depression: “I’m in my early 30s. This was my first time taking antidepressants after struggling with depression and anxiety since I was a teenager. It did a great job of managing my depression and anxiety. It took the edge off and evened me out emotionally. I stopped being irritable and snapping at all those around me, I didn’t sweat the small stuff, and I didn’t get stuck in negative thought patterns. I no longer had intrusive thoughts. It made me a better person. There is a downside: the weight gain. In the first 8 months of being on Lexapro I put on 20 pounds. Over the next 12 months I put on an additional 22 lbs, and was tipping the scales at 212lbs, 42lbs more than my “normal” weight. When I started outgrowing size large shirts I decided that enough was enough and stopped taking Lexapro. Within 6 months I was back to 170lbs and I didn’t change anything about my eating habits or workouts. If anything I was eating way worse than before. I will probably try a new AD at some point.”

Much better January 17, 2021

For Anxiety: “Lexapro changed my life for sure! My family has a history of anxiety so it was not a surprise when I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks. That warm, flush, buzzing feeling that overtakes your body and your mind immediately thinks you’re going to die or that you're sick. Your heart is racing and feels like it’s going to jump out of your chest and your head is spinning. It’s a feeling I don’t wish on anyone and it was starting to control my life. Once I started lexapro I almost immediately noticed positive results. It took about 6 weeks to really notice significant changes and about a year before I would say I was 100% myself. But it very quickly made my life manageable and now I can’t imagine my life without it! I still get breakthroughs now and then where I get a bout of anxiety but it’s usually short lived and manageable. If you have just started lexapro hang in there!”

Dobbs January 15, 2021

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. Was afraid of being alone, had insomnia, body aches, nervous stomach. I was only treating it with Xanax prescribed by my PCP. My psychiatrist switched me from Xanax to 3mg klonopin. Then he started me on Lexapro 10mg, which I took for 5 weeks. The first couple weeks on 10mg made me feel increased anxiety, but did help me to sleep at night. It did not really help with general fear or anxiety so my psych increased to 20mg on week 5. This was helpful to a point but I still felt anxious every day, albeit less intense than before. After another 2 weeks with limited results, psychiatrist upped me to 30mg/day on Week 8. He says some people just require higher doses to get the same effect. I've been on 30 mg for a week (9 total weeks into Lexapro) and starting to feel MUCH better, like my old self. Stick in there, your doctor may have to increase your dosage to achieve the desired results. I am now weaning off the klonopin which makes me tired .”

Jk · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

For Anxiety: “On lexapro for about 7 days now and boy I have mixed feelings so far. The first 3 days my anxiety was minimal. I felt good but on day 4 it all changed. Severe heart palpitations to where I had to call 911 thinking that my number was called. Not sure if I should stop this med or continue so I opted for the latter. I'm giving it a couple more weeks hopefully it kicks in if not I'll try something else.”

KA · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2021

For Depression: “This pill changed my life. I was very skeptical to take it after reading about the terrible side effects. Indeed I had awful side effects within the first weeks including waking up shaking, increased anxiety and an increase in suicidal thoughts. In fact I begged the doctor to change me onto something else but he told me to stick with it. After 4 weeks I was absolutely transformed and I still honestly can’t believe the change it made to me. I’m no longer crying everyday, I’ve started enjoying all the things I used to and rediscovering myself. I’m no longer angry or unable to contain my emotions. I was in the position you were reading reviews and asking myself if this can really help me. It can! My advice is stick with it because the side effects can be heavy but for me it has changed everything - so much so that I felt I had to come back to write this in the hope of helping others that were in my position!”

LC · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 6, 2021

For Anxiety: “Currently 10 days into my second time on Lexapro. I’ve been on 10 mg since 2013 for Chronic anxiety. Last year I started to taper off on my own and I pushed it too far. A severe breakdown over the holidays showed me that I’m more myself with my medication. Oh boy the first week was horrible. I would read these reviews for encouragement in my darkest moments. Go for walks, talk with your loved ones, allow yourself to lay low and give the medication a chance to work. My appetite is still missing and I’m still have racing/disturbing thoughts but I feel better each day! My insomnia has subsided and the muscle twitches. Lexapro has saved my life once before and I know it will again. If you’re reading this- hang in there, you’re not alone in this struggle. You can do hard things!”

Pickles January 5, 2021

For Anxiety: “I am a firm believer that everyone has a specific medication that works for their brain chemistry. Lexapro just happens to be my miracle drug! If I could rate it higher than 10 I would. I see that a lot of people have low libido on this medication, but that is not the case with me. My sex drive has actually improved massively when anxiety & depression aren't in the picture. I've been on 10mg Lexapro for 2 years and it has taken the very dark lows out of my life without any side effects. My emotions more controlled, my anxiety is calmer, my life is such much more manageable. Only con to lexapro is night sweats & brain zaps (only if I forget a dose - if I don't forget a dose, that doesn't happen). Other than that, I cannot recommend Lexapro enough. It has improved my life tenfold & given my happiness back. Lexapro doesn't make you feel like a zombie; I feel more myself than I have my whole life. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt. It could be your miracle drug too.”

Anxious · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

For Anxiety: “I have been on Lexapro for 20 days now to treat anxiety and depression. The first several days, I felt nauseous and zombie - like. I don’t have those side effects now, but I am unable to get out of bed and can’t wait to lay down again. I have no desire to do anything and the anxiety seems to have intensified. I have chest pain and sweat profusely during attacks. I have to take CBD oil and listen to meditation tapes to make it through the day. I honestly do not feel any better. I am taking 5 mg a day - how long does it take to start kicking in?”

Nick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2021

For Anxiety: “Was on 10mg Lexapro for about 6 months. Was very effective at reducing anxiety but found it was making me slightly reclusive and reduced my libido. Reduced dose to 5mg found it to be just as effective and with less side effects.”

Ck2e16 · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have suffered from clinical depression and anxiety for many years now and always been terrified about trying medication to help it. I wasn’t sleeping due to my anxiety and my mood was always extremely low and had little motivation to do anything. I was always extremely tired because I would wake up constantly with racing thoughts but thought I may have a vitamin deficiency so used to take multivitamins that didn’t help. Since taking lexapro I feel 100% better, literally after the first few days I felt calmer and more able to sleep. There were side effects at first like sweating and inability to orgasm but these have thankfully subsided. Taking lexapro has really made me realise that people with depression and anxiety have chemical imbalances that sometimes medication can only solve. I’m not saying I am completely cured and still have my low days but this drug has helped me immensely with managing my anxiety and depression.”

Kc December 30, 2020

For Anxiety: “The first 3-4 weeks are tough...I knew it would take some time but I felt a bit like a zombie or a sloth those first few weeks. My anxiety fuelled me before and I suddenly had an “I don’t care” attitude about everything. About week 3, I suddenly felt “CLEAR”. I was able to do things like go into my laundry room and do one load of laundry without feeling overwhelmed by the other 5 loads that needed to be done. My anxiety was an all or nothing situation- I either could do it all at one time or could NEVER get it done in my brain. Lexapro allowed me to realize that it’s ok to do part of a task and finish it later- and helped me remember to finish it later. I feel so much better!!!”

Lex · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2020

For Anxiety: “I took this medication Lexapro for almost 2 years for severe anxiety and moderate depression. I started at a 10 mg tablet and about 6 months after I started, my dose was upped to the 20 mg tablet. It made me feel completely exhausted before I started taking a stimulant and overall in the beginning, I felt okay. After about a year of being on this medication, I became very depressed and overly sensitive (when I was never like this in the past) and it made me feel overall more depressed than I had before and slightly suicidal. A little after 2 years of taking this medication, I decided to no longer continue using it and suddenly stopped, cold turkey. There were some withdrawal phases, but overall I felt so much better once I stopped using it. I feel that this medication would probably have been more effective for me if I used it for a short term and not for a duration of more than a year.”

Lm December 28, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “2 years ago I was majorly depressed and saw a psych who put me on fluoxetine and I also tried Effexor. Worst medications ever... every day I couldn’t eat from feeling nauseas and I would have the most violent graphic dreams that would leave me feeling exhausted when I woke. Both these medications also made me feel like a zombie, I seemed lifeless to everyone. I then tried lexapro which compared to the other two this medication is amazing. The first two weeks are really yucky and you need to be prepared for that. It doesn’t seem like it will get better at all, in the first few days I had very bad anxiety and couldn’t sleep. Just lay low at home until it passes, once it did I just feel like a brand new person. All the horrible thoughts are gone and I can function like a normal person and still feel human. One thing I found is taking this medication at night caused me to have bad dreams so I take it in the morning and the dreams at night don’t happen anymore. Hope this helps”

Gechie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2020

For Anxiety: “Been on 5 mg Lexapro for several months. It was bad at first. Also use 0.25 Xanax. To help with side effects. Found out about Albizia tinc and pills. Will stop the xanax. Ashwaghsnda. Holy basil lemon balm are all good so you csn stay on low dose. Rhodiola. Finally got appetite back. Passion flower will help you sleep.”

Bipolar dude · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2020

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Made my hair fall out, sent me into a manic episode and made me sick all the time. Ended up getting nerve damage from getting so many viruses. DO NOT TAKE”

Anonymous December 23, 2020

For Depression: “Such an amazing drug. It really saved my life, worth all the side effects in the beginning. Everything balanced out and I finally feel more like myself. It lessens the horrible feelings of “I'm not good enough” and it calms my nerves quite a bit. Unfortunately, it calms down my sex life quite a bit too, I still manage, still good but takes longer and thats the only long term problem I've seen. Still gets 10/10!! #LOVE LEX”

Julia · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

For Anxiety: “I can’t say much yet but don’t think I’ll have the chance to since I don’t think this drug is working for me. It’s been almost 2 weeks on 5 mg to treat my GAD and I have experienced on and off burning/tingling sensations in my limbs, decreased appetite, headache, change in vision, increased anxiety, and the absolute worst panic attacks of my life (felt like I was going to die and lasted over an hour) These side effects are absolutely horrible and I don’t know if I can make it through to see it work. I have never felt worse.”

SHM · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2020

For Anxiety: “Took this awful med for three months until I could stand it no more. I have regular bouts of anxiety which I kept at bay for 15 years using Ativan carefully as needed. Unfortunately after this time I lost control and had the worst rebound anxiety of my life and had to back out using Valium. I was put on Lexapro to take its place. After 3 months I was battling to get out of bed. If I did it was to the couch. Lost all sex drive and ability. Had no motivation for anything and just laid around all day. Have been off it for a week now and despite some discomfort with head spins I feel I have my life back.”

Amelia December 19, 2020

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Let’s talk menopause! I eat healthy teach yoga all work with natural therapies. Stress and meonopause, diet, exercise, meditation and herbals didn’t clear the fog and short temper and irritability. I was turning into a porcupine and I was prickly to everyone and everything around me, defensive. It took effort to to do anything, negative brain chatter, apathy, jumping from project to project shopping for satisfaction. Three days ago I went for a physical we talked and it is now three days on Lexapro, very little side affects, the difference is that someone turned on the sunshine in my heart again, sleeping with a smile, jaw clenching, gone! So grateful for this tool of healing. It is where I need to be, yes I will still keep taking those supplements and maybe that’s why I don’t have such bad starting effects. I think too much emphasis on lack of sex drive. For me I’d rather be happy functional sunny balanced and grounded”