User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 206 reviews 7 medications

Depression 371 reviews 78 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1016 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Please read this. I've battled anxiety for a long time and when I had a recent bad time with it I needed extra help. Was prescribed Lexapro 10mg once a day. I'm a big hypochondriac so taking new medicine is a painful experience for me. The first week was tough, just adjusting to the meds but by day 4 I literally felt like I had done a 180 degree turn around. It works and I felt great. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks I broke out in hives and had to discontinue but I highly suggest for anyone battling anxiety. Zoloft was horrible. I did have withdrawals from both meds - the brain zaps but was asked to increase my water intake and that help flush it out. Had withdrawals for about a week."

JulesSan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Depression "After taking Citalopram for over 12 years I started suffering from sivere anxiety side-effects. My GP suggested that we try Effexor. After 3 months on Effexor, my anxiety was no better and I had one little trip to the ER and a short stay in hospital with another failed suicide attempt. I was in a really bad place, at the end of my wits. My pharmacist had a chat with me. He said that seeing as I had responded so well to the Citalopram initially, it might be worth trying es-citalopram/Lexapro. I talked to me Dr. and he agreed. Things have been a lot better since. I don't need any anxiety medication at the moment and most of my other symptoms are a lot more manageable. It is not a cure, but it makes the symptoms bearable."

rialistic July 9, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed Lexapro 5 mg for perimenopausal rages and major depressive disorder. Considering this is my first anti-depressant, I cautiously started with half a tablet (2.5mg). The side effects were horrible: severe dizziness, headaches, nausea, and confusion. I could not function at work. Overtime, my depression, angry outbursts, rumination worsened and started to affect my interaction with coworkers. I decided to give Lexapro another try and start with 1/4 of a tablet (1.25 mg). I took the Lexapro at bedtime, and in the morning, I was the happiest I've been in months, no anxiety, no negative repetitive thoughts. This is a strong drug. My recommendation is to start slowly to avoid severe side effects and then increase if needed"

Anonymous July 9, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Changed my life. Anxiety is gone, and because of that my depression. Loving life anxiety free is amazing. Can't believe I waited this long is my only regret."

Windwolf (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I have only been taking Lexapro a few days, but I can tell a bit of improvement, but as of now I still get paranoid or to say anxious which makes me exhausted. And I'm not much on going around people a lot, just one on one conversations with a friend or relative. Hoping and praying it works like a lot of post here which are positive. Hoping to gain weight, for I'm at 113pds....when I was 130, Yea lost quite a bit of weight...the lexapro im hoping will give me a better appetite which I've read it does. This is an update on day 6, I slept full 8 hours and that was with getting off to sleep with help of xanax. But really feel better and have some energy and some of the worry is gone...and hoping to get better. Going to keep taking it."

robertestokley July 6, 2016

For Depression "I have just been on Lexapro about a week, I was taking it at night, but was having wild vivid dreams, so started taking it in the day. I can tell there is a bit of improvement, but I still feel a bit of fear and anxiety and depression but it fluctuates. I think once I get enough in my system it will work. Tired of being negative about everything. It's time to get happy again...God Bless."

robertestokley (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm a 40yo old male who started Lexapro just over three weeks ago for GAD. The psychiatrist advised 5mg for the first 2 weeks to adjust to side effects, then to 10mg. The first 2 weeks I barely noticed any effect, maybe a little less stressed than usual, but then moving up to 10mg really hit me hard - fatigue, sweats, confusion, nausea, panic attacks. Honestly, 5 days in I was at the point of calling my doctor to say I couldn't take it anymore. But then on day 6, I woke up feeling a whole lot better. It's hard to describe but I just feel focused and relaxed in a way that I'd forgotten how, or maybe never knew. I'm now on day 8 at 10mg and am so glad I stuck with it. Talk to you Dr if you're feeling terrible but know it can get better."

JackNYC July 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I can not say enough good things about this med. I had a crazy experience with anxiety that came out of nowhere when I turned 28 and it was a long bumpy road for sure but now almost 4 months in I am back to normal. It definitely also helped me get priorities in line such as making my health a priority over late nights and drinking. I by no means was a hard partier but I had my fair share of nights out with friends. I now find it completely ok to go out, have a glass of wine and take it easy. The first month was rough. I had everything: nausea, increased anxiety, I lot almost 10 lbs from zero appetite but slowly and surely everything went away and I feel really good now. Don't get me wrong, you have to put in work emotionally but it works."

Kate22888 June 30, 2016

For Anxiety "My psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro to treat general anxiety, which it barely impacted, and since starting it 4 weeks ago I've become severely depressed and spend all day contemplating suicide. I don't know if it's entirely the medicine's fault, or if it even had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't helped me with anything, and I can't find anything online about it actually worsening depression instead of treating it."

Guy18 June 29, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this drug for major depression and C-PTSD. I only took it for one week, 5mg. It was awful. I was exhausted all of the time, had trouble falling asleep and my sleep was disturbed by very vivid and bizarre dreams. I woke up every morning shaking, dizzy and disoriented. During the day my legs hurt so bad it made walking difficult. It made me so hungry, craving carbs, I gained 9lbs of belly fat in one week! It left me with zero motivation and unable to feel any joy, excitement, pleasure. I felt detached, empty, I felt dead. I stopped taking it and while i'm still struggling with depression I do feel like me again, I feel alive and have lost all of the weight gained while taking it."

NoOne2 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medicine gave me a panic attack shortly after I took it.never took it again"

Nck1985 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

For Depression "So far, I've only been on Lexapro for two days. I am finding that it is helping very much with my negative outlook on life, my mood swings, and my panic attacks/emotional fits. I find that little things like someone cutting me off or dropping something don't frustrate me as much or make me want to scream. I find that my voice is calmer and that I can have mature conversations with my partner without getting worked up. I have a better perspective on life already. I was on zoloft before and it did not do anything for me at all. It's so refreshing to see a change and I can't wait to see what else Lexapro does for me! Negative side effects I've experienced: headaches, stomach upset, dizziness. These are supposed to go away within a week."

Gooberella June 24, 2016

For Anxiety "Lexpro is the best medication. I had no life befor Lexpro. I used to suffer for 8 years from anxiety and panick attacks. I was always scared from anything. The doctor asked me to try Lexpro I was so afriad of medications, I thought medications would never help me. I used think that I will help my self to stop thinking about it. I thought they were all thoughts in my mind and I have to change them I used to get panick attacks everday when I'm sleeping. I would recommend anyone to try this medication because this medication will safe your life if you have anxity I have been 10 mg for months then 15 for 2 months and 4 months for 20 Mg and am still taking it. And I will never stop taking it"

Baraag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

For Depression "Didn't find it any good. Put on weight and twitched a lot and got the headaches."

Claire 00 June 24, 2016

For Depression "I cannot even begin to explain how much this medicine has helped me with my depression/anxiety! The only thing I regret is being stubborn and not take it 3 years earlier! "

KFle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

For Anxiety "I have extreme anxiety and major depression. For me, all SSRI's, SSNRI's make me feel extremely weird. Almost as if my body feels "too good" but not in a good way. The only way to describe it is like jolts of electric shocks throughout my body that feel good. Also when I yawn or take a deep breath my teeth start to chatter. It also creates extreme erectile dysfunction for me to the point where it burns when I urinate. Unfortunately these are symptoms I cannot put up with, even though it does work."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

For Depression "I've been taking 10mgs for about 8 months. About a month ago I went through some tough times that sent me to the mental hospital. After I got out I told the psych to cut the Lexapro because it was making me fat and it didn't keep me from going to the hospital. Within a week of starting it I felt overwhelming sadness that progressed to the point that I couldn't get out of bed and I would draw the blinds in the day and just sob. My psych is on vacation right now but I couldn't take the sadness anymore so I restarted my Lexapro and within 2 days I was feeling so much better. I'm grateful for it now."

Bunnygirloutfit34 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

For Anxiety "After months of cbt with my psychologist for severe anxiety and panic disorder i decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. I was perscribed 5mg then 10mg of lexapro to start and it gradually incresed to 20mg. In the first few days i had never felt worse. More frequant and severe panic attacks and my general anxiety went through the roof and i had the most extreme feeling of hopelessness. I was a mess and calling my drs telling them i needed to stop taking it. They reassured me these side affects would go away within weeks, and they did. I continued with the cbt, mindfullness, lifestyle changes and stayed on the lexapro and within months i felt i was back to my normal self. Post like these kept me going. Hang in there, you're not alone!"

El441 June 21, 2016

For Anxiety "Started Lexapro 2006 for acute anxiety & depression. Within days I felt a shroud of darkness lift. After 12 months I felt it was changing me into a person with less emotions, so I went off it. Within a few weeks I felt a sharpness and sensitivity that had been missing but, any negative occurrences gave me intense anxiety. In late 2008 the GFC hit me hard. I was paralyzed with fear and had thoughts of suicide. In desperation I went back on lexapro and again, all the anxiety and fear went away. After a couple of years I went off it again and felt reasonably OK. Issues in 2013 caused me to attempt suicide. I survived and went back on Lexapro. I may have less emotions, but I can now deal with life. Strangely, It also fixed my AF heart condition"

kymbo58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on lexapro for months now but recently i have been experiencing bad nausea at night only. Im thinking about switching if it doesn't stop (night 3)"

lozzz June 15, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 10mg. of Lexapro for about 4 weeks. I think in the first few weeks it made my depression worse. I began to have very crazy scary thoughts. I held on, now I am just sort of o.k., I am having a few hours a day of feeling a lot of relief, but still the morning is a down hill slope. I am going to give it a few more weeks. My anxiety has gotten a bit better."

Byrdy (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been dealing with anxiety and depression off and on most of my life. I have never previously asked for help because I thought it was a sign of weakness. Before I was waking up in tears, I was always angry, sure that everyone was judging me. It completely crippled me. I also was self-medicating with pot and with chocolate and my weight was ballooning. I finally asked for help and started on a generic lexapro 10 mg - 2 weeks ago and it is like a miracle. I'm sleeping well, not a tear shed, losing weight, have lost interest in both chocolate and pot. I feel content and happy yet I still feel like me. I wish I had asked for help a long time ago. Life is good!"

Deb P June 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was suffering from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, and depression. I wasn't functioning very well in my life. I was put on 20 mg of Lexapro. The first 4-6 weeks were hard. I had severe side effects and not sleeping. I stuck it out and am so happy. Lexapro has changed my life and the relationships I have with friends and family. I am also taking Trazadone at night to help my insomnia and depression."

COMOM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on lexapro for five days now and I've never felt more anxious in my life, I haven't been eating and when I do eat nothing stays in my stomach long, my sleeping has been a nightmare, maybe 5 hours a night if I'm lucky, and I'm shaky all through the night and partially through the day, I feel like I'm going crazy but I keep reading reviews that side effects are awful then subside and the medication is great, I'm just really feeling like I'm losing it here"

Sara478 June 10, 2016

For Anxiety "Hi Everyone, I am a 22 yr old female and I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share my experience although everyone will react to medication differently. The first three days were awful. Nauseous to the point where I could barely move, terrible headaches, incredible hunger, yawning constantly and waking up all through out the night. On the 4th day most the side effects just stopped. Mostly the headaches and nauseous feeling. You really have to push through the initial side effects. All the racing thoughts immediately stopped, I am so much more calm, no more mood swings, social situations no longer bother me, I am just generally happier. I will also mention that I had none of the sexual side effects."

Stacijane7 June 10, 2016