User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 215 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 27 reviews 46 medications

7.4
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1042 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I thought Lexapro wasn't going to help my anxiety but after about 3 weeks it made a huge difference. I feel like I'm living again!"

SweetLuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

For Anxiety "I am 23 and have had extreme anxiety/panic since around 20. I am super sensitive to meds/ side effects. I have tried so many AD and none have worked. Recently I have tried Remeron but had to switch due to drowsiness- I have hypersomnia. Lexapro by far has taken away my worrying mind more than anything which is amazing. The first month was pretty horrid besides that though. Constant nausea, yawning, worsened anxiety at first, headaches. I still have some nausea and now I have noticed extreme drowsiness again. I really love how it helps my anxiety, but (like always) the side effects really bother me. Try it out, get thru the 1st month. If you don't have bad side effects its the best anxiety med I have ever had. Good luck!"

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression. In total, I took it for 6 weeks before coming off cold turkey on doctor's orders due to side-effects. The first 2 weeks I just had mild nausea and headaches. By the second week I started feeling a deep tiredness. I would sleep for about 16 hours a day. The need to sleep so much faded by end of week 3 but the deep tiredness never went away. I also had swelling and red lumps form under my left eye around this time. Week 4 brought insomnia and week 5 brought the rash on my legs. By the end of week 6, I had 360 degrees rash on legs that burned and bleed with lumps filled with puss. The pain was continuous and severe. Hence, off meds. Took two weeks for rash to fade to where it doesn't hurt."

GaveItAShot August 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I started getting anxiety my first year of college. I had previously had mild anxiety, but it was not as debilitating. I was constantly worrying what others thought about me and had obsessive thoughts. I started on 10mg of lexapro and it completely changed my outlook on life. I did not realize how fun life could be before I lived it without the looming cloud of anxiety. It also helped tremendously with anxiety surrounding the intrusive thoughts. Some things that WORSENED my anxiety while on lexapro were birth control pills (hormone imbalance worsens anxiety) and hard alcohol. I take 1/2 tsp inositol powder (a type of vitamin) and probiotics that seem to help my anxiety and depression in addition to the lexapro."

hibiscusgirl August 23, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medicine changed my life. I've suffered from social anxiety for 20 years and always afraid to ask for help, until one wedding anniversary with my husband at a restaurant was to much for me. I was uncomfortable and major anxiety just eating in a restaurant and I was tired of feeling like this. The next day I told my doctor I needed help, he gave me lexapro and my life has changed. I'm loving life again and nothing is holding me back. I'm so grateful I asked for help"

Lorie de August 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've had anxiety for many years and my Dr had me on Xanax for about 12 years...3 times a day (0.25mg). She weaned me off to only taking 1 at night. While weaning she put me on 5mgs of lexapro to ease the process which was over a year ago and I still take the lexapro however, lately I have been experiencing more frequent panic/anxiety attacks which causes major dizziness more so than before. I'm not sure if Lexapro is for me or if the mgs is too low. I'll be making an appt to see my Dr but I want to see if anyone out there has had or is having this problem. It's pretty scary."

NanaRob August 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medication has forever changed my life, it has possibly saved my marriage and relationship with my kids. I am a person who suffers from anxiety and severe mood swings. Before Lexapro I would snap at anything, little things would trigger anxiety attacks and that would lead to depression. My first week on Lexapro was not to bad I had some nausea, felt jittery at times, restlessness at night, and yawning uncontrollably. But I noticed right away and so did my husband that I was more at ease, happier, and was able to blow things off that would of made me blow up before. The pros out weighed the bad for me. So far I have been enjoying life more, laughing with my kids more often and not focusing so much on the little things."

G0128 August 21, 2016

For Anxiety "Only took 2.0 mg first time & 2.0 mg in evening. So 4mg altogether daily. Instant relief upon first dose. Immediate. Gave me headache first dose for about 3 hours but after that all good for 3 days. On 4th day got another headache in evening for few hours. Last night took it at about 10pm, got to sleep but woke up at 4am couldn't get bk to sleep til 7am. Gives u vivid dreams that feel real. I wouldn't recommend starting with any more than 2.5mg or 4mg max split in two doses at least 8-10-12 hrs apart. 2.0mg each dose max. I'm thinking of making my evening dose just 1mg or bc it's much stronger and more of an upper than celexa. Does makes u feel tired but the anxiety is gone, less hypersensitive but can be too 'high' agitating."

15fgybniikmoolgfdc (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This was the most incredible pill. It entirely changed my life. I used to be so scared of failure and it used to effect my income and job performance. I used to have really bad anxiety and it used to effect my sleep pretty badly. The first month and a half were pretty brutal on Lexapro but after that it immediately began working. I no longer suffer from anxiety. I sleep extremely well. I can multi task now and I don't worry about things like I used to and my fear of failure is long gone. I was like you, reading this review, thinking that they must be fake. But I said what the hell and decided to book an appointment with my psychiatrist. My life has never been better since!"

Jordan87 August 18, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "It worked very well for me six years ago. I had depression, little sleep and anxiety. I was off within a year but panic attacks have struck in recent weeks so I am hoping for a similar experience. A recent post was hoping for a two week improvement which is not how this drug or any ssri I know of works. It did work fairly quickly as I recall. I felt much better in 2-4 weeks and was able to make necessary life work changes within months. Calling it a lifesaver sounds about right to me."

Jersey guy2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I'm in my early 30's and never had a problem with depression or anxiety until I lost my mother to cancer 18 months ago. I fell into a depression after that and my doctor prescribed me generic lexapro for short term depression ( as it has never been an issue). I noticed within 2 weeks that I felt better...I had more energy, etc.. Not liking the idea of being on meds, I weaned off it after 6 months.. I still had withdrawal symptoms (electric shock feeling). Well after that my husband left me and that combined with the loss of my mother was too much to bear. I was miserable. I only left the house to go to work and it was difficult to pull myself out of bed. As soon as I got home I would throw on pj's and just lay on the couch. PAGE 1 of 2"

Anonygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had exaustion, stress and anxiety for a few months now and recently the anxiety got worse and for the first time in my life I had a panic attack twice in one day. I went to hospital and the doc prescribed the meds but I was afraid to start taking them. I also saw a therapist who also thought I could get past this without meds. After I had a bad panick attack at night I decided to start taking them..Its been 3 days and I have hardly slept and have nausea especially in the evenings and at night..Im feeling less anxious but I really need to sleep because I have to go back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this gets better because my doc said she is only putting me on these for 2 weeks then we will review and see if I can go off them"

MMKGC August 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I got this prescribed for frequent panic attacks and anxiety. All this medicine did for me was create a much bigger sense of anxiety. I should have know the first time I took this to never take it again, but I knew I needed to try it out for longer in hopes it would work. Immediately after I would take this my anxiety would worsen and after it settled I would experience uncontrollable panic attacks lasting over 2 hours. I do not recommend if you are incapable of waiting over a month with this being a possible side effect when taking it."

Val0 August 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After a long period of high stress and panic attacks, I reluctantly tried this medication (reluctantly because SSRIs had only INCREASED my anxiety problems in the past). I was only able to tolerate 2.5 mg of this medication, but it did help the anxiety some. It did not help my sleep (may have worsened it). Side effects were stomach upset and feeling very spacy. It was not a perfect medication for panic, the benzos are better. I experienced some relief from Lexapro but only at very small doses, and I still needed to use Xanax daily for panic attacks."

Kitkat11111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro has been the only antidepressant I've taken that has alleviated my depression at all. It worked well for me and it started working within 2 days! I could laugh again and my anxiety went down. I took 20 mg daily. Unfortunately, within 6 months I gained 25 lbs! That was the only drawback and I had to stop taking it bc of the weight gain. The first couple times I took it, everything looked fuzzy and psychedelic but that went away quickly. I'd say it's definitely worth a try if you're depressed or anxious."

Lucy Clare (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had panic attacks for years after trying many other a it depressants that made this worse Lexapro was my magic pill I have had a 90% reduction in acute panic disorder and general anxiety, with this drug I'm normal person again and I have my life back. I'm my opinion this is a blockbuster drug and I'm so thankful to the chemist that created it. Thank you for giving me my life back! <3"

Jesse S. August 4, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am so grateful to my doctor by putting me on Lexapro. I was suffering many physical aches and pains plus in the end panic attacks I was not depressed I thought but did feel anxious and down especially in the mornings I am late 60's and guess I am a worrier I reached a point that I couldn't cope with normal everyday activities and after seeing my doctor she put me on Lexapro Within 3 to 4 weeks it kicked in and I felt back to normal It was amazing no more digestion problems back problems and I now sleep well and wake up happy, and I do walk each day and life is now much better as I'm able to cope with life and definitely recommend Lexapro. Probably the only side effect is yawning and sleepiness but that's so much better than insomnia."

GChS August 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Well I went back on this as it was kind of OK when I had CFS a few years ago and somewhat improved my mood. After a few stressful incidents it became hard to manage my depression naturally so I took the quick fix route because I didn't have time to work out and eat right. Having achieved remission with diet/sleep/SamE/exercise I can assure you that the effects of Lexapro are wildly different than a careful self care routine. Day one I was so drugged, I felt high and was barely able to work let alone drive. Total lethargy, extreme anxiety and inability to stop smiling even though I was terrified on the inside. In short, similar to a bad overdose on MJ. Day two, same effect, I had to call out of work. Stopped the pills."

Natzzzzzzzz (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

For Depression "It simply worked. I couldn't sleep, had serious GI problems and developed depression over a period of months. Less pro helped pick me up at low dose in a few months. Was off in a year and probably could have been sooner."

Learnet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

For Anxiety "I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have suffered with depression and anxiety for most of my life. One of my best friends convinced me to talk with my doctor about an antidepressant. I tried several different medications. Finally, I was prescribed Wellbutrin 100 mg., which worked pretty well for several years. However, it stopped working so my doctor increased the dosage to 150 mg. Bad idea. I had a seizure and was hospitalized for two days. After this experience, I decided to not take anything. Another bad idea. The depression got so bad, I could hardly function. I went to a new doctor and he prescribed me Lexapro. What a miracle drug. It took sometime to get use to the medicine but once my body adjusted, I started feeling great. I don't recall ever feeling so happy as now"

Ann W July 24, 2016

For Depression "Lexapro made me feel normal again. I was severely depressed and so scared I would never feel normal again. I started at 5mg and worked up to 15mg over a few months. At three months I felt like me again. It was a roller coaster getting there with good days and down days where I never thought I would feel like me again. But the three month mark I feel great! I promised myself that when I felt good again, I would share my experience. Hang in there, you will feel good again just give it time. And when you have a down moment, think of happy times and remember you will get better. Side effects initially was yawning a lot. I can finally sleep again and I gained my weight back because I actually want to eat again. Life is good now. Thank you lex!"

Finallyfeelinggood (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Lexapro about 7 weeks ago after an extremely traumatic unexpected loss of my long term boyfriend who i lived with. I was not functioning or able to deal with life before I got on Lexapro. I couldn't stop overwhelming thoughts, anxiety, crying. I couldn't face life. Lexapro has helped me begin the process of healing In a healthy way and resume life. I don't feel any different other than I have rational thoughts and I am in control of my emotions. I know I would not be moving forward in a positive manner of it wasn't for this medication. The change was like day and night and I am thankful."

Hla1121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016