User Reviews for Lexapro

6.8

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.7 1,601 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

Tori · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

For Anxiety "Took 1 dose of 10 mg Friday night and just felt extremely sleepy. Saturday morning while doing my morning routine, I told my husband to take me to the ER. My skin was on fire, my thoughts and speech were delayed and I was shaking so much. ER doctor told me to stop taking it and there was no antidote or anything he could give me and for me to wait for the half life of the medicine which is 48 hours. After a few light bad days from my adverse effects, my panic attacks came back super intense. I thought everything was going to kill me and I stayed in my bed for weeks. Now on paxil and Xanax but still working on exact dosage, still working better for me than Lexapro."

Skylar7 · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

For Depression "I am on three different meds for blood pressure. The culprit to my depression is propranolol and the doctor even said that. I tried coming off of it and my heart was pounding thru my chest. Went back on it and he gave me lexapro 5 mg to help the propranolol induced depression. I have not taken it because of all the horror stories I see from it. I’d rather deal with the depression than have something else add another problem. The common theme here is one drug after another and all they the doctors want to do is add more meds to you. No thanks and I wish everyone only the best if your taking this poison. Honestly I’d rather have high blood pressure than role the dice with depression and lexapro"

finallyforsure · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

For Anxiety "Been on escitalopram for 8 weeks (51 yo woman). SUPER lethargic week 1 as I went from 5 to 10 mg. Urinary problems in week 2 only. No orgasm in week 3 and still now. Benefits crept up SLOWLY. First was PHYSICAL benefits in week 4: no more adrenalin rushes or heart palpitations and my body just felt really good (libido great despite lack of orgasm). This was huge but still no change in my thinking. Week 7, obsessive thinking and worry subsided noticeably. Start of week 8 it REALLY kicked in. I have clarity, a sense of calm, I smile a lot, I genuinely take time for others, my mind is not racing or jumbled with worry, I am willing to ask for what I want more confidently. Biggest thing: I am no longer on edge AT ALL. Still hoping for benefit to self-esteem & being more outgoing. Dr. will up me to 15 mg for this, but I will wait since I literally see improvement daily & I prefer lowest dose. I LOVE the change in myself! Patience & paying attention to little improvements is key!"

B · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

For Anxiety "Did one week at 5mg before being upped to 10mg, on day 7 I started with tingling and prickling in my legs, which then spread to my arms. Felt like I had rolled in nettles, did 5 days at 10mg before doing another 3 days at 5mg. Even though the tingling has worn off if it’s still there, I have also had horrendous indigestion and sinus congestion. I am on day 6 of stopping and feel like I have been hit by a bus. I have felt worse since being on these than I did before! Shame it didn’t work for me after hearing so many positive reviews. Also this drug is one of the worst for withdrawing off of, so be mindful of that before starting this medication."

Momof2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro didn't fully resolve my depression. It took the edge off but my doctor had to add Wellbutrin because alone it wasn't doing enough even on 20mgs. I discontinued Lexapro because I was gaining too much weight from increased appetite and lethargy. It also messed with my libido and made it difficult to orgasm as well as made me super forgetful and flighty. After taking a gene sight test I found that Lexapro was in moderate category so it never would have worked for me anyway."

Anonymous August 10, 2019

For Anxiety "Started taking escitalopram three years ago due to obsessive thoughts of very morbid kind. They would be stuck in my head for years until I was prescribed cipralex (escitalopram) 20 mg UK brand . I’ve been on medication for two years and then tapered off with minor side effects. I decided to quit because I have completely forgotten how it is to be my old self and I thought that it was not that horrible after all and I could handle it. Several months without cipralex and I was having horrible obsessive thoughts again. So now I am starting therapy again. Fingers crossed"

Hunt · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 5, 2019

For Depression "My doctor prescribed me Lexapro and I left so good and motivated. Then I thought of trying other anti depressants to feel more better. I tried Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor XR, Desvenlafexine but none gave the best result as Lexapro. It was life changing experience. I will never change from Lexapro."

gabriel3color · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "was on Lexapro for 8 months. It didn't work at all. It seems it accentuated the depression even more. I was sleeping too much and eating too much. I couldn't socialize. After I got off of it, I had an euphoric episode."

rehanbly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

For Anxiety "It is a miracle drug!! I'm from india, I have been social anxiety and lack of concentration, low self confident etc. I'm afraid of this world, one day my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10 mg, and you know what??? On my first day I felt a difference and after 6 days I'm more confident, more talkative, have more self esteem, anxiety gone 95 percent, I feel more energy, now I' m not afraid of this world, I enjoy life and making new friends. I think all people on this planet take this drug even if they have any symptoms like I did. This drug make them complete, and side effects? No I don't have any except delayed ejaculation, which I think its ok coz it make my wife happy ;) and thanks to all, I pray for all u guys."

Amber · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro saved my life! I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder years ago. Lexapro was the first SSRI I've tried and it worked like wonder! I've been on 7.5mg for 4 years and increased to 15mg 6 months ago. The very first time and after the increased dosage, my anxiety always gets worse and I felt unsafe to be alone. After 2 weeks of taking Lexapro, depression starts to fade away and it took about 2 months to get the full effect! Now that I stable, I don't get panic attacks and anxiety at all!"

Optimistic · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

For Anxiety "Hang in there! I am a woman in my mid-fifties who has developed paralyzing anxiety over the last few years. It got to the point this spring where I couldn't go to work. My doctor prescribed Lexapro. I started at 10 mg, and he increased it to 20 mg after the first week. I had never taken any antidepressants before. It took time -- but it does work. Slow improvement. I am on week 9, and I finally feel like my old self. It is so difficult to think you will ever feel better. I know. But, it will get better! It may take time, but hang in there. The Lexapro has made a tremendous difference in the life. I hope it does for you as well."

Doug · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 1, 2019

For Depression "I was on lexapro for several years for depression, the entire time I was on it I was unable to orgasm. No matter how much or how long I did it for, nothing would happen. I spoke several times to my doctor and her nurse practitioner about the issue and they just gave me ED medication, which was not the issue at all. Eventually I asked to be taken off it because that was worse than the depression. Eventually everything went back to normal."

NurseNelly July 31, 2019

For Anxiety "I have been on Lexapro 10mg 3x- most recently was Jan-May and then weaned myself off (under doctors supervision) over 6 weeks and had no problems with withdrawal. I have recently started back because of recent stress in my life (nasty divorce) which left me worrying constantly, debilitating anxiety, unable to sleep and/or eat. For me it’s the panic that’s horrible. So I started back on Lexapro 10mg 3 weeks ago today. The first 2 weeks were tough....it seemed to take longer to kick in this time and I actually referred to this site a dozen times to reassure myself that it would indeed start to work and it did! I did have the increased anxiety, loss of appetite (lost 10lbs in 2 weeks), the “internal shakes”, morning dread and insomnia for the first 2 weeks. I would say around day 10-14 I started to feel the meds taking the edge off and by day 18 I had almost no anxiety at all. Literally none. It’s so worth the wait if you can just hang in there through the first few weeks."

Lynn · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 28, 2019

For Anxiety "I took Lexapro for years. No one told me that it had side effects of hair loss. Upon doing my own research and going to several doctors and a dermatologist that told me there was nothing I could do I figured it out on my own."

Christine July 27, 2019

For Anxiety "I’m 51 and have been on 10 mg of lexapro for about 18 years and it has done wonders. I’ve been feeling some up tick in my anxiety and depression so the doctor upped my dosage to 15mg. It’s been a week now and the side effects are awful. I feel lethargic, sad, unmotivated, terrible head ache and have 0 appetite - I’ve lost about 10 lbs. in a week. I’m going to cut back to 10mg and hope these wicked side effects go away quickly, and deal with my anxiety differently."

Hq95 · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

For Anxiety "Hi guys, hoping someone can help. I was on 5mgs of generic Lexapro and still felt uneasy so after a week the doctor put me on 10mg. Been on 10mg for a week and a half and since yesterday I have felt horrible and struggle to find the motivation to do anything or go anywhere. I take it before bed and find it really hard to get out of bed in the mornings. Can someone please tell me is this normal and when will it settle down? I am back to work in 2 weeks and am so scared I wont be ready to go back - thanks guys :)"

M · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am a 20 year old female and recently my anxiety had gotten to the point where I was scared to leave my house. I had bad health anxiety so I couldn't go anywhere or drive my car without fear or a stroke or seizure. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro and I have only been on it for exactly a week, but I started seeing significant changes after day 3. This medication completely changed my life. I am now able to go and do things, workout, and drive wherever I please without my anxiety and OCD telling me I can't. The only side effect I have encountered is drowsiness, which is nice because I take it at night and am finally able to get a full nights rest without my thoughts keeping me up. I HIGHLY recommend this medication because it gave me my life back."

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

For Anxiety "I was suffering from horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I became agoraphobic. I hated it and being an owner of 5 businesses I had to have help. I actually came to this site and read all the reviews before I started. The first 2 weeks were tough but I was prepared because of the reviews. I had vertigo, a little increased anxiety, couldn't cry, and blurred vision. I started with half a dose the first week 5mg and then upped it to the 10 mg. But if you stick with this , I'm at a month and with behavioral therapy and lexapro...I'm living my life again and beginning to feel great again. I'm mad I waited so long to try it...its worked amazing for me but like I said you have to get through the adjustment period and at about 2 weeks things calm down and you start to feel more at peace. Good luck!!"

Cangirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "To start, I always been anxious to start a medication. However, Lexapro (10 mg) has been great for me. The first 2-3 weeks are full of mild-moderate side effects, BUT they will go away. It can be hard for people to realize the first few weeks can be bad but they do go away - such as, heightened anxiety/depression, poor sleep, digestive problems, etc. As of now (12+ weeks in), I have no side effects. My anxiety worsened by my job is much more tolerable. My sleep problems I had due to my stress are now gone. My overall mood is much more stable. Do I still have anxiety? Of course, it isn't a miracle pill but it makes living with an anxiety disorder a lot easier. Consistent and long-term usage are going to make my life happier and less anxious, and I'm happy for that. I haven't noticed a huge weight gain which is a bonus but I think I gained a pound or two, which is common for people who were thin prior to taking the medication due to lessened anxiety."

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have both anxiety and depression and when I started on the Lexapro medication it was hard for me because my anxiety is really bad and I just wanted it to work ASAP. But as I talked with my doctor and kept taking the medication for two weeks I started to notice a little difference and then a month passed and I’ve noticed that I have not been freaking out as much and I haven’t had an anxiety attack or felt the need to go the hospital ( I would go to the hospital every week due to anxiety). I have been happier knowing that my anxiety is more manageable and I can sleep at night without being scared that I am going to die the next day. I did have the side effects the first two weeks I felt emotionless (I was told that was normal and will go away) sweating, headache and blurred vision but all that went away over time. I was afraid of the medication because it can give you sexual difficulties but luckily I have not had any problems in the bedroom."

Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

For Anxiety "This medication worked great for me! The first 2 weeks were not great (insomnia, increased anxiety, some GI upset, blurry vision). Wait out the first 2 weeks if you can! The first 2 weeks are not the final result by far! This medication destroys anxiety after 4+ weeks. I took the medication for agoraphobia caused by Xanax withdrawal. It worked great AFTER 4+ weeks. The results are up and down until about week 4. Meaning, you’ll feel worse and better on weeks 1-4. Then in week 4 it became consistent. I did get euphoria on day 3-4 but that didn’t last long. Don’t judge the medication for better or for worse in the first several weeks. Don’t judge it too soon! I had side effects in the beginning but they went away after about 3-4 weeks."

Brittbrat · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

For Anxiety "I have to say that in the last two months I have experienced terrible anxiety. I wasn’t sleeping good or eating well. My weight was very low, so my doctor prescribed me with Lexapro. I had never taken anxiety medicine at all so I didn’t know what to expect. The first four-five days on it were rough. I was very very exhausted and was unmotivated, but I kept taking it and I’m on day 7 now and I feel more alert, more focused. My friends have told me that they have seen a difference in my face and I seem more relaxed. I up my dose tomorrow night so I will see what that does, but if I feel this great, I can’t imagine how well I will feel when I’m at 10mg."

Emma July 22, 2019

For Anxiety "Since about the age of 3, I had severe obsessive thoughts (counting, tapping, clicking my teeth) and constant fears. Obviously, back in the 70s and 80s there wasn't much awareness regarding childhood mental health! I was told to sit still and learn to cope! It wasn't until my 40s and suffering from debilitating panic attacks (ambulance rides, ER visits) that I finally decided I would try medication. Short term meds like Xanax make me depressed, so I wanted something daily. Wow. What a difference Lexapro has made for me! Certainly there was an adjustment period, but after nearly a year (and also having to work with the med) I am an entirely new person! No more obsessive counting or tapping, zero panic attacks. I almost had to grieve for a piece of me that is now gone. Only possible downside is that I'm not as obsessive with cleaning or my daily responsibilities (I may put things off a day or so) BUT I'll take the good with the bad as long as I don't have panic attacks!"

SJ · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

For Depression "It’s been 2 weeks since I started titrating down Effexor and taking Lexapro. Two super hard weeks and getting worse. Anxiety through the roof. Depression bad. Can’t focus. Can’t sit still. Waiting to hear from doc but did take an Effexor yesterday and one today again (will take 1/2 Lexapro tonight while wait to hear from doc tomorrow). I was depressed on Effexor but at least I could function. Couldn’t function on Lexapro alone. Don’t know whether will try another new antidepressant or not. Maybe stick with Effexor and pray I can get better on it in time."

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2019

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg for anxiety. I took the pill for two days and what followed was the worst week of my life. I would describe my anxiety as a little more than mild. It was never debilitating. I shouldn't have been prescribed it. I took one pill in the morning and woke up in the middle of the night with a full blown panic attack. I had never experienced anything like that in my life. For three full days I couldn't sleep or eat. I had no desire to do anything but was incapable of sitting or lying down. I was constantly in a panic because I thought my life was over. I would start crying, again something that never happened to me before. On the third day after I had stopped the drug I finally felt normal again. The feelings did come back over night and I'm still feeling effects this morning. Please use this drug with extreme caution. I know it can be a help to a lot of people but make sure to do your research."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)