User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 218 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 28 reviews 46 medications

7.4
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1053 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I had immediate results.I definitely felt less edgy just 3 days into my 10mg nightly dose. I had a headache first two days but took pain relief and it knocked it out. So far it has already provided relief from my constant anxiety and edginess."

Storm1617 September 22, 2016

For Depression "This medication is NOT for teenagers. My son was so depressed we could not get him out of his room for days on end. We eventually got convinced him that he needed help and agreed to start taking medications and spending more time out in the sun and exercise. All of this was painfully slow but I believe the medication did help him become more motivated to help himself. He agreed to give the medication 5 weeks. Week 6 my son started punching holes in walls and throwing things when he has never done anything like this before. Week 8 my son killed a little girl. A friend of the family. Now, he is facing 47 years without parole for something he did at 17 influenced by a medication I had asked him to try.This is in fact, LIFE w/o parole."

4Nurse3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I experienced "poop out" after being on Lexapro for 7 years. I was prescribed 150 mg of Welbutren, which was upped to 300mg. The Lexapro kicked in after a few weeks, and worked like a charm. After one year, my anxiety and depression returned progressively getting worse over a period of three months. Finally realized my insurance switched me to the generic escitalopram. I had been taking it for three months without realizing it! Requested to switch back to Lexapro, however, Tricare insurance would not cover it so had to pay almost 178 per month for brand name. That was two years ago. Now pay 294 per month. Tricare still will not pay. Considering buying from Canada."

Generic Lexapro "DID NOT" Work (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016

For Anxiety "Having been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder over ten years ago and taking Xanax 1 mg. twice a day, I was surprised when my doctor prescribed Lexapro, not instead of, but in addition to. He said it was a mood stabilizer, but I know its and SSRI generally used as an anti-depressant. Medical guidelines now require, or at least I've been told as much by my doctor, that primary physicians are required to ask questions regarding mental health. I was asked, "Have you in the past two weeks lost interest in your normal activities?" No. "Have you in the past two weeks had thoughts of suicide?" No. Still, he prescribed the Lexapro and I started taking it. The side effects were horrible. Every symptom of depression, which I didn't have"

robalo September 13, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi there, I have been off work for approx 7 weeks due to severe anxiety. I initially started to take Sertraline 50mg however after 4 weeks it made me very low in mood and suicidal hence to swap to Ecitalopram 5mg. I have been taking this for 10 days and already feel a considerable improvement in my overall mood. My anxiety is less and the negative thoughts are manageable. I still worry but things don't seem so bad anymore. I feel like there's hope again. I am pleased so far. Good luck"

MandAjW September 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I am on day 6 of taking Lexapro and I must say that I am very pleased with the results so far. My husband is deploying and I began experiencing panic attacks and anixiety back in May. I thought it was just me and I could brush it off or "get over it". As time went on, I noticed that my symptoms became worse. I was crying everyday, worrying, panic attacks, aniexty attacks and having intrusive thoughts, which began to make me extremely depressed. I had no energy, insomnia, crying, mentally exhausted and no appetite. I finally broke down and went to my GP and told him what was going on. He recommended several different anti-depressants. I had been reading about the different anti-depressants and found that Lexapro got the best reviews. I was reluctant to begin taking meds but thought I had no choice. I know it might be premature but I feel 100% better that I did a week ago. The only side effect that I experienced was a insomnia for the first 3 nights, loss of appetite and no libido. I didn't have much of a libido to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. I didn't experience nausea like I read on other reviews. I am slowly getting my appetite back and sleep so good at night. It makes a little groggy first thing in the morning but once I get up and get going, I'm good. I take 10 mg every morning. My doctor wants me to increase my dosage to 20 mg after 2 weeks but I will wait and see how I feel. I highly recommend this medication. It has really helped me. I feel so much better!!!"

hondachick96 September 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This drug changed my life. I've always been "depressed" person if you will, problems from childhood, then life got hard when I moved country and my husband deployed. Almost within a week of taking lexapro I began to notice the difference. More stable, more optimistic, no longer crying over anything... Things that would give me major anxiety before no longer bother me as much, although the anxiety is not completely gone. Only very mild side effects of dry mouth and slight headaches, but boy is it worth it. I am, what must be "normal" to the rest of the world now. I'm very happy."

Riela28 September 3, 2016

For Depression "I have been on this drug for about 10 years, I have tried to slowly come off of it, thinking Im ok but it was a disaster, dont let your pride effect your life! I was going through divorce, stress at work, and overall angry thoughts and depression. What it did for me was make the bad moments less extended, I still get stressed and have normal bad days but the lingering of these moments lessened. I never post this type of stuff, but I hope I can help someone, this med may have saved my marriage and my childrens upbringing!!! i did have to incrwase dose after a couple years though"

Chriswh September 1, 2016

For Anxiety "I was having terrible mood problems and depression. The doctor prescribed me Lexapro...and I guess I never realized I even suffered from anxiety until now. The results were beyond amazing---mood has been lifted noticeably...but the kicker...and VERY unexpectedly-my cervical pain was reduced by about 97% -and tension I dealt with nearly daily (I thought from the imperfection of my cervical vertebrae-because I had a 2-level fusion about 11 years ago and they've spotted a slight bulging recently in the C4 vertebrae, which is right above the fused level) and I could finally-FINALLY-get off of pain medication, after relying on it for a decade to make my days bearable! Many yrs of pain mgmt.-and an unexpected med takes care of nearly 100% of it!"

Meliss74 August 31, 2016

For Depression "This pill cleared up so many of my mental and physical symptoms that it's difficult to list them all. Gone are the black-and-white thinking, the ceaseless pain of existing, the social anxiety, irrational and confused thoughts, inability to truly engage with the world, hopelessness, blank future, exhaustion no matter how much I sleep, procrastination, and psychic agony that only self-harm could alleviate. Not only can I hold an extended conversation with someone, I'm also able to appreciate this improvement in my life instead of feeling like it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, my libido is also gone. Since it was low to begin with, I don't miss it too much, but one day I'd like to know what having a libido is like. Wellbutrin, perhaps?"

Thanks Lexapro August 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on this med for over a month and the side effects do not out weigh my symptoms . The withdrawal sucks and the hyperness and the tiredness sucks. I'm 31 and haven't been on a depressant since I was 15. I lost my sister 5 months ago and it set me into anxiety, panic and depression."

Barb F August 26, 2016

For Anxiety "I thought Lexapro wasn't going to help my anxiety but after about 3 weeks it made a huge difference. I feel like I'm living again!"

SweetLuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

For Anxiety "I am 23 and have had extreme anxiety/panic since around 20. I am super sensitive to meds/ side effects. I have tried so many AD and none have worked. Recently I have tried Remeron but had to switch due to drowsiness- I have hypersomnia. Lexapro by far has taken away my worrying mind more than anything which is amazing. The first month was pretty horrid besides that though. Constant nausea, yawning, worsened anxiety at first, headaches. I still have some nausea and now I have noticed extreme drowsiness again. I really love how it helps my anxiety, but (like always) the side effects really bother me. Try it out, get thru the 1st month. If you don't have bad side effects its the best anxiety med I have ever had. Good luck!"

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression. In total, I took it for 6 weeks before coming off cold turkey on doctor's orders due to side-effects. The first 2 weeks I just had mild nausea and headaches. By the second week I started feeling a deep tiredness. I would sleep for about 16 hours a day. The need to sleep so much faded by end of week 3 but the deep tiredness never went away. I also had swelling and red lumps form under my left eye around this time. Week 4 brought insomnia and week 5 brought the rash on my legs. By the end of week 6, I had 360 degrees rash on legs that burned and bleed with lumps filled with puss. The pain was continuous and severe. Hence, off meds. Took two weeks for rash to fade to where it doesn't hurt."

GaveItAShot August 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I started getting anxiety my first year of college. I had previously had mild anxiety, but it was not as debilitating. I was constantly worrying what others thought about me and had obsessive thoughts. I started on 10mg of lexapro and it completely changed my outlook on life. I did not realize how fun life could be before I lived it without the looming cloud of anxiety. It also helped tremendously with anxiety surrounding the intrusive thoughts. Some things that WORSENED my anxiety while on lexapro were birth control pills (hormone imbalance worsens anxiety) and hard alcohol. I take 1/2 tsp inositol powder (a type of vitamin) and probiotics that seem to help my anxiety and depression in addition to the lexapro."

hibiscusgirl August 23, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medicine changed my life. I've suffered from social anxiety for 20 years and always afraid to ask for help, until one wedding anniversary with my husband at a restaurant was to much for me. I was uncomfortable and major anxiety just eating in a restaurant and I was tired of feeling like this. The next day I told my doctor I needed help, he gave me lexapro and my life has changed. I'm loving life again and nothing is holding me back. I'm so grateful I asked for help"

Lorie de August 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've had anxiety for many years and my Dr had me on Xanax for about 12 years...3 times a day (0.25mg). She weaned me off to only taking 1 at night. While weaning she put me on 5mgs of lexapro to ease the process which was over a year ago and I still take the lexapro however, lately I have been experiencing more frequent panic/anxiety attacks which causes major dizziness more so than before. I'm not sure if Lexapro is for me or if the mgs is too low. I'll be making an appt to see my Dr but I want to see if anyone out there has had or is having this problem. It's pretty scary."

NanaRob August 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medication has forever changed my life, it has possibly saved my marriage and relationship with my kids. I am a person who suffers from anxiety and severe mood swings. Before Lexapro I would snap at anything, little things would trigger anxiety attacks and that would lead to depression. My first week on Lexapro was not to bad I had some nausea, felt jittery at times, restlessness at night, and yawning uncontrollably. But I noticed right away and so did my husband that I was more at ease, happier, and was able to blow things off that would of made me blow up before. The pros out weighed the bad for me. So far I have been enjoying life more, laughing with my kids more often and not focusing so much on the little things."

G0128 August 21, 2016

For Anxiety "Only took 2.0 mg first time & 2.0 mg in evening. So 4mg altogether daily. Instant relief upon first dose. Immediate. Gave me headache first dose for about 3 hours but after that all good for 3 days. On 4th day got another headache in evening for few hours. Last night took it at about 10pm, got to sleep but woke up at 4am couldn't get bk to sleep til 7am. Gives u vivid dreams that feel real. I wouldn't recommend starting with any more than 2.5mg or 4mg max split in two doses at least 8-10-12 hrs apart. 2.0mg each dose max. I'm thinking of making my evening dose just 1mg or bc it's much stronger and more of an upper than celexa. Does makes u feel tired but the anxiety is gone, less hypersensitive but can be too 'high' agitating."

15fgybniikmoolgfdc (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This was the most incredible pill. It entirely changed my life. I used to be so scared of failure and it used to effect my income and job performance. I used to have really bad anxiety and it used to effect my sleep pretty badly. The first month and a half were pretty brutal on Lexapro but after that it immediately began working. I no longer suffer from anxiety. I sleep extremely well. I can multi task now and I don't worry about things like I used to and my fear of failure is long gone. I was like you, reading this review, thinking that they must be fake. But I said what the hell and decided to book an appointment with my psychiatrist. My life has never been better since!"

Jordan87 August 18, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "It worked very well for me six years ago. I had depression, little sleep and anxiety. I was off within a year but panic attacks have struck in recent weeks so I am hoping for a similar experience. A recent post was hoping for a two week improvement which is not how this drug or any ssri I know of works. It did work fairly quickly as I recall. I felt much better in 2-4 weeks and was able to make necessary life work changes within months. Calling it a lifesaver sounds about right to me."

Jersey guy2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I'm in my early 30's and never had a problem with depression or anxiety until I lost my mother to cancer 18 months ago. I fell into a depression after that and my doctor prescribed me generic lexapro for short term depression ( as it has never been an issue). I noticed within 2 weeks that I felt better...I had more energy, etc.. Not liking the idea of being on meds, I weaned off it after 6 months.. I still had withdrawal symptoms (electric shock feeling). Well after that my husband left me and that combined with the loss of my mother was too much to bear. I was miserable. I only left the house to go to work and it was difficult to pull myself out of bed. As soon as I got home I would throw on pj's and just lay on the couch. PAGE 1 of 2"

Anonygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had exaustion, stress and anxiety for a few months now and recently the anxiety got worse and for the first time in my life I had a panic attack twice in one day. I went to hospital and the doc prescribed the meds but I was afraid to start taking them. I also saw a therapist who also thought I could get past this without meds. After I had a bad panick attack at night I decided to start taking them..Its been 3 days and I have hardly slept and have nausea especially in the evenings and at night..Im feeling less anxious but I really need to sleep because I have to go back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this gets better because my doc said she is only putting me on these for 2 weeks then we will review and see if I can go off them"

MMKGC August 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I got this prescribed for frequent panic attacks and anxiety. All this medicine did for me was create a much bigger sense of anxiety. I should have know the first time I took this to never take it again, but I knew I needed to try it out for longer in hopes it would work. Immediately after I would take this my anxiety would worsen and after it settled I would experience uncontrollable panic attacks lasting over 2 hours. I do not recommend if you are incapable of waiting over a month with this being a possible side effect when taking it."

Val0 August 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After a long period of high stress and panic attacks, I reluctantly tried this medication (reluctantly because SSRIs had only INCREASED my anxiety problems in the past). I was only able to tolerate 2.5 mg of this medication, but it did help the anxiety some. It did not help my sleep (may have worsened it). Side effects were stomach upset and feeling very spacy. It was not a perfect medication for panic, the benzos are better. I experienced some relief from Lexapro but only at very small doses, and I still needed to use Xanax daily for panic attacks."

Kitkat11111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016