User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 258 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 35 reviews 46 medications

7.2
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1189 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I read so many scary things when I started Lexapro for GAD but I was so desperate to get my life back! I tried Zoloft and it had a really bad effect on me. I switched to Lexapro 10 mg after two weeks on the Zoloft and it took a bit for the Zoloft to leave my system (maybe a week)? After a couple weeks on Lexapro 10 mg I went to 15 mg. After one week on 15 it was like a light switch went off in my head. All the anxiety is gone. I had a lot of start up side effects most notably increased anxiety, lack of appetite, waking up with panic attacks and just feeling like crap. But at that point where it kicked in, all that is gone. I feel better than I have in years!!! Not the right med for everyone but give it a chance to see if it works for you."

AwesomeGurlz June 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I used to suffer from panic attacks frequently that made me feel like I was constantly about to faint or have a heart attack. It was so bad at one point I couldn't leave the house. I was extremely worried about taking this (probably as a result of GAD I was diagnosed with) but I've been on lexapro since November last year and haven't had a panic attack since! It was hard getting used to lexapro at first and I experienced visual hallucinations upon waking up, but a small dose of valium helped take the edge off. Now anxiety isn't interfering with my daily life and I barely think about it. I'm now learning meditation, CBT and looking after my physical health so I can wean off the drug later in the year when I'm mentally ready for it"

Eloa7 June 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribed this med for GAD/anxiety. Worst 10 days of my life. Nausea, retching, dilated pupils, insomnia and vivid dreams, but worse yet near constant panic attacks. Coming off it now. I understand this drug helps many people. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Babe20 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "extreme increased anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "excellent med if you are afraid of side effects, had none. used for 10 yrs until stopped working. was on celexa also for 10 yrs excellent med for no side effects .both Lexapro and Celexa are excellent for treating mental disease. avoid ZOLOFT was on for two weeks my brain was in another dimension , made anxiety worse. now its hell on earth for me looking for another ssri. clonzepam is excellent for anxiety no side effects. docs wont prescribe it for me."

Anonymous June 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "A year ago I had a major health scare that turned out to be fine in the end, but I ended up crashing, developing severe insomnia, severe anxiety, muscle twitches all over, major joint pain, brain fog and finally a depression. I resisted taking drugs as I thought I was going to get lots of side effects. I tried everything under the sun; yoga, meditation, acupuncture, tinctures, craniosacral therapy, psychotherapy, kinesiology etc. My psychiatrist and GP both strongly recommended I should take Lexapro. When I started pondering why I was living I started taking the meds. I started sleeping better and after some weeks the worst dread was gone and so was the anxiety. After 2 months I feel MUCH better and I hardly had any side effects at all!:)"

Olivia78 June 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "My experience with lexapro has been overall well, I suffer from a severe depression ever since I smoked a very potent strains of cannabis which triggered me to get severely depressed and anxious, I didn't take lexapro until about 6 months of it sitting in my drawer after manning up and growing the courage to take half of 10mg for a week until the side effects subsided and raised it to 10mg, I felt less anxious at first then after 2 weeks I raised it to 20mg and felt less depressed and that's what I'm currently on. I'm waiting till week 8 too see if it gets better to know if I should keep taking it."

James1738 June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "For posterity, I'm currently also taking Wellbutrin, Trazodone, and I'll be starting Vyvanse soon. Past SSRI's include Prozac and Zoloft; Prozac worked great but then pooped out and Zoloft didn't do much of anything. My depression and anxiety have easily tripled over the past couple due to being sexually assaulted and the deaths of two very close friends. As a result, I get agitated extremely easily at work and feel extremely low and hopeless at home. I'm currently taking 20 mg Lexapro and I believe I just felt it kick in? It's like a warm hug for the brain. I'm not feeling irritable, I'm fairly relaxed, and I'm excited for the rest of my day. I feel like it's only going to get better from here."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is my fourth month on Lexapro. I was having debilitating anxiety and phobias that interfered greatly with my life and my Dr said was causing me to be depressed. I never wanted to take a medicine before because I was too scared (anxiety) but I'm so glad my Dr talked me into it. Other people even notice a difference in me and say I just look better. I feel so much better. I'm not scared all the time and having dissociative thoughts. My fear kept me in bed because I couldn't make a decision but now I get up and do all the things I love again and I'm not so tired. The first few weeks were hell with side effects but I knew those would wear off and they did. You just have to stick it out. But then again, nobody knows how anyone will react."

CollegeStudentAnna June 7, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Best antidepressant out there! 5mg was enough and still working great!!"

Sarahaga1999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I started taking lexapro my first semester of sophomore year in college for depression and anxiety and have been taking it for about six months now. My anxiety causes me to have extreme panic attacks where I break out in rashes and get frequent bloody noses. Since being on lexapro, I have not had a single attack! I also haven't had any extreme side effects although I have had increased appetite and have gone from 95-100lbs to about 115lbs. However, the withdrawal symptoms are very serious, take it everyday and try not to skip any days. I got a nasty cold and stopped taking it for awhile and then spent a whole week thinking I had a horrible flu (nausea, vomiting, headaches) only to realize I was going through withdrawals."

milkyaves June 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "For me, lexapro stopped the negative thinking. It slowed it all down, the suicidal thoughts, the rumination, the negative was gone. I was on 5mg, decided I didn't want to be on it. I wanted to face my fears, my tears, my sadness, my negative, etc. I wanted to control it, not have lexapro control it. It covers up underlying issues that need to be dealt with constructively. I've been tapering off, I'm down to 1mg, maybe less. I'm learning to deal with thoughts, the few that have come back by praying, breathing and relaxing. Opening up to people about my fears, my negative thinking, letting others guide me into positive thinking has helped tremendously. Take the meds, but work towards resolving the underlying problem and coming off of lexapro."

Poppajoeyoung (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Hi, actually I was diagnosed with MDD and GAD by my doctor and was prescribed this pills, which helped me somehow but made my mind much too slow. I have seen reviews of this, where people taking it for many years. But I don't want to be on these pills, I wanted to be normal myself and not because of this pills. I tell you this pills will take you nowhere. It will help but you have to take it for lifetime. After thinking about it I searched about effective measures and after 6 months I found it. It was YOGA. And I was fixed within a month. Please try yoga, you will also get fixed. I am much better as a person which I was before depression. I commented because I wanted to help those who come in these sites to see reviews."

Laka May 30, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After I gave birth to my son almost 3 years ago. I suffered from GAD and had 3-4x panic attacks, negative thoughts, sweating, tightening of my chest, can't breath, restlessness, name it....to the point I can't function and can't even take care of my son. I've started taking lexapro 5mg for 1 week I had the worst side effects to the point I don't want to eat and take a bath...it worsen my anxiety symptoms 10x but after a couple of weeks lexapro begins to kick in but not that optimal effect. After 6 months of taking lexapro 10mg signs and symptoms started to subside. This medicine really helps me. Lifesaver! Just be patient. I took it for 1 year and 5 months.I was cured."

Brave Mom May 28, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I had to start at 5 mg and work my way up because I'm a baby, but I definitely feel better and oddly enough, my headaches have improved after 20 years. I don't feel any different, I'm just worrying less and not feeling the physical symptoms of anxiety. It still comes and goes a small bit, but it's WAY better!"

Laurd May 26, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I had tried everything meditation, herbal supplements, yoga, exercise, healthy eating. I was doing everything "right" however I was in a constant state of unrest and having about 5 panic attacks a day. I would go days without eating or drinking water and then collapsing. My anxiety was so high, was sick all the time gut issues, headaches, dizziness, general fog and feeling completely out of it and detached. It came to the point that something needed to change - so I sucked it up and tried Lexapro. If you are reading this YOU CAN FEEL BETTER. I was scared I would feel like a zombie and loose myself - but it just takes the edge off and you will start to feel lighter and free and it will let therapy and meditation work."

Triss12 May 26, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Pros- fast onset, felt it in just a few days. Works well for anxiety/depression. I no longer obsessively worry. No weight gain, decreased appetite (fabulous) Cons- Constant head/neck/shoulder/lower back pain, can't sleep a full night without waking up at least 5 times (really frustrating), decreased interest and ability to have sex. I have tried all the SSRIs and this will be the last one before I give up on SSRIs all together. Will probably have to take Remeron to sleep, I didn't really want to be on 2 meds but I need to sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I ended up on Escitalopram about 2-3 years ago because the previous med (Effexor XR) was causing steady weight gain I just couldn't manage anymore (50+ lbs. in 9 months). And this has hands down been the best med I've ever been on. It doesn't seem to affect my weight at all, and I feel completely "normal" for possibly the first time since childhood (about 30 years ago). I'm on 20mg, as 10mg just wasn't quite cutting it, and my doctor also later added Buspirone to help with some lingering anxiety. I found Effexor to be generally more effective for anxiety, and Lexapro more effective for Depression, so I think this Escitalopram/Buspirone combo works well for me."

xwpblue (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The best anti-depressant I have ever experienced, I couldn't sleep longer than 5 to 6 hours a night of broken sleep, now I average 8 hours of fit full sleep. When things don't go my way now I simply shrug my shoulders, before I thought the World was conspiring against me. The drug seemed to work for me almost instantly, didn't take me the normal 4 weeks before I noticed an improvement in my mental well-being. Can't thank the creators enough. Big ups!!"

Timmy Tonsil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After regularly seeing a cognitive-behavior psychologist, who helped me so much, I decided that although my anxiety was significantly reduced, and I was beginning to feel and act like a normal human being, I felt I would benefit even more if I took medication in addition to therapy. Although I was getting far fewer panic attacks than when I had started therapy, I still got them occasionally. I wanted to prevent them permanently, and take the edge off generally. My psychiatrist, and my dad who is also a psychiatrist, recommended Lexapro. Lexapro is the first and only anti-depressant I've ever taken, and I don't think I'll ever switch! I am the happiest I've ever been. Lexapro and therapy have helped me begin to love and respect myself. 10/10"

Jeff777 May 18, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Last winter, a number of extremely stressful events sent me into an emotional and psychological tailspin. I began having anxiety attacks and intrusive thoughts, which were hellish. I awoke every morning with a feeling of utter horror. Finally, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro. He warned me that the side effects could be awful and to start slowly. I began with 2.5mg and increased by 2.5 every 5 days, or after side effects subsided. They included: WORSE anxiety, WORSE intrusive thoughts, extreme drowsiness during the day and a "caffeinated" feeling at night. But, slowly this went away. 1 month later, the terrible thoughts are GONE. Anxiety almost vanished. I am coping, and sleeping well. So, so grateful. LIFE-CHANGING!"

Niniche (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Difficult personal situations caused my Ativan usage to creep up to 3-4x/day. When I started being perimenopause, I was also suffering with terrible depression, which I have never had before. My GYN prescribed Lexapro, and I've always been against taking an SSRI because of the side effects and feeling like I could just "work through" the anxiety, but the depression was debilitating. I forced myself to take the first pill, and the next day, I realized I wasn't under a cloud of stress anymore. It worked well for about 3 weeks, and then I was irritable and the anxiety was back. I just started on 20mg and feel optimistic. Only minor side effects: headache, some nausea the first few days, insomnia. I've lost weight, which is a plus!"

Tante (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017