User Reviews for Lexapro

Major Depressive Disorder
6.9

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,461 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "My doctors just put me on Lexapro and I cannot believe how much better I feel. I had been on Xanax for years and no other doctor suggested I get off of this. I am 77 years old and he told me at my age it was serious. I do take 1 Xanax in the morning but I am going to get off completely soon. I have had trigger point pain since 2017 and it is hard to get treated for this. Have tried so many outlets and hope to try one more doctor for this pain."

Cinder (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is week 3 on lexapro & I truly am amazed and so glad I gave it a shot. For the past 2 years I’ve been struggling with non stop cycles of anxiety, from my health to my relationship, racing and intrusive thoughts with a bit of an obsessive tendency added. I eventually got to my breaking point and decided that it was time to do something. Therapy just wasn't doing enough for me and I didn’t want it to take over my life. I have to admit the first 2 weeks were rough, I didn’t have any major side effects but I was very very anxious and panicky I was so convinced this medicine wouldn’t work for me, I read just about every review on this site. I’m now on week 3 and just about 90% of my anxiety is gone just like that and it’s truly crazy that a pill can make this all better. I’ve never felt so positive and confident in myself in a very very long time. This pill works & if it doesn’t there’s always another option. But stick with it and give it time- at least for a month!!"

s22 February 12, 2019

For Anxiety "I was so anxious to try this medication. I was on 5 mg for a week and then started ten mg after. Let me tell you. I would NOT have gotten through my breakup without this drug!!! It’s really made me SO much calmer. I just don’t care about some things anymore. I feel so much more at ease. My health anxiety is not bad at all anymore!!!!!!!! I love this medicine. Probably never going off. Thank you lexapro for making me feel sane and calm again!"

Worthit (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribed Lexapro for GAD a few months ago and I'm so scared to take it because of all the bad reviews I have read on it. I also have high blood pressure and asthma, CAD, my anxiety and panic attacks are really bad. I have been also having bouts of depression. I was just wondering should I really be that worried about the side affects of this medication and does the benefits out weight the side effects.."

Kareem February 7, 2019

For Anxiety "Lexapro is terrible for me. I have been switched from celexa after many years and at the high end of the scale 60mg daily. Having no problems at all, doctors changed me to lexapro, hate it. Agitation increase, dizziness that was so bad I could not move my head, anxiety increase, moody, snappy, not good. Called doc immediately put back on celexa. They claim they are the same med not in my experience."

nunya (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2019

For Depression "So I've been on 10mg a day since November. I truly did not feel any changes the first two weeks. After that things began to look up. I haven't experienced any weight gain or increased acne. Recently I got an IUD and have felt a little more down, but it hasn't been as intense as in the past, (I don't feel like driving into brick walls) and it could honestly just be the new hormones. Does anyone really understand young depressed sexually active females? I'm excited to see how I feel after I have ~normal~ hormones!"

n0p3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribed Lexapro/Escitalopram for anxiety and depression. I began at 10 mg and over the course of a few weeks increased to 20 mg. At first, I noticed some jaw tightness/clenching, but nothing miserable or extreme. A few nights of insomnia. The only negative side effect now is sexual dysfunction. It's not a lack of desire, it is simply not being able to get from point A to point B, if you know what I mean. The upside to all of this is that it makes me feel better than I ever have in my life. It's like the clouds have parted, and I feel joy and peace. If someone cuts me off in traffic, instead of having to stop myself from feeling road rage, it just rolls off me. I don't feel an ounce of irritability or anger. My stress level is WAY down. I believe because my cortisol level went back down to normal, I actually have lost weight with Lexapro. It feels like a miracle. I feel much more emotionally stable now, and I'm so grateful."

Sunydys33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

For Anxiety "I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was in a bad car accident suffered a really bad concussion. Days after my car accident I had more anxiety and not sleeping and mood swings and wouldn't leave my house. I was afraid of everything. Everyone told me I have PTSD. So my dr told me to try this. It's my second day and I'm happy. I'm excited for tomorrow and I never was excited about anything. I was so depressed and thought I was worthless and ugly and I don't deserve anything. But I can say that lexapro has help me see things positive. I'm happy finally. I finally feel good again."

Km February 4, 2019

For Anxiety "Literally had one foot off the bridge. I have suffered from a heart arrhythmia that was causing me to just give up on life. I was on a beta blocker for it and the beta blocker intensified the depression. My two kiddos were the only thing keeping me in the game. No one of course knew this...but I was one foot off the bridge with my kids holding my other foot firmly planted. Then came lexapro. I had tried it a year or so before and gave up on it...too soon. Told my doctor I had to try something. It was like my body remembered the Lexapro I swear to God. About 10 days after taking it, it was like a switch flipped. I woke up feeling better. The heart arrhythmia stopped for the most part and the depression was almost lifted. I take 10mg daily. I would rate this a 20 if I could"

DadToTwo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Started Lexapro 3/2018 after brain surgery. Dr recommended for anxiety. 1st week was 5mg/ morning I felt sleepy, headaches & some nausea. 2nd week headaches & slight nausea but totally fine after week 2. This pill also helped to mask pains from my chronic Illness, chiari malformation. I was walking 2 &1/2 miles everyday, traveled with my family. The short tempered or had bad moods were gone. The biggest letdown was the weight gain! I kept telling the docs & they kept saying I shouldn't gain much more. I was on it for 6 months & gained 30lbs even while exercising & eating clean, DASH diet. Lexapro slows down the metabolism & increases appetite. I HAD to come off because of the weight gain. I stopped it 3 months ago have not lost not 1lb! Withdrawal symptoms were worse than going on the pill. Took a month a half to taper off 10mg. I felt zaps, jolts, irritability, and my chronic pains are totally back. I am struggling to lose this weight so bad. The weight is the factor for me coming off it."

Celly January 30, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took anywhere from 10-30 mg of lexepro for ~7 years for GAD and I believe it helped me the whole time with social anxiety (I still had some remaining existential anxiety but it was manageable). I think it really can help some people! However I did have a bad experience when I weened off lexepro and tried to go back on it. Side-effects like crazy! Really thought I was losing it for a while and could not sleep so I was switched to Prozac and trazadone and it’s been a couple months now and everything is getting back to normal! Anyway just wanted to warn anyone who is trying to get back on lexepro to watch for side-effects because it may no longer agree with you, but keep trying other medications and you will find another that works :)"

Bestwishes (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I’m taking Lexapro for generalized anxiety/major depressive disorder because I was not functioning at 100% on my medication for bipolar disorder. I’ve been on 10mg for the past 10 weeks. It took about 4-6 weeks for me to feel the full benefits. I am now 99% anxiety free and the most happiest and balanced I’ve been in years. I have returned to being functional (able to leave the house, showering, exercising, working, able to care for myself, getting adequate rest). There first few weeks were tough because of side effects: serious nausea, feeling high strung/unable to sleep (a little manic that at first I got worried) but I hung in there and now I’m doing better than ever."

20min (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

For Anxiety "Like you, I’ve been reading these reviews over and over and over again and was just so incredulous that this drug could fix my issues. I had horrific social and generalized anxiety. I was self conscious of my voice 24/7, would ruin every experience. 24/7 negative self talk. It was awful. Started with Prozac and had to switch to Lex. Everything took about six weeks to kick in, so be patient. I thought I was hopeless, but I’m laughing, smiling, feel worry slowly dripping away by the day. Social anxiety is lower every day. I feel confident. I feel like who I was mean to to be. My best piece of advice is to not obsess about whether or not it’s working. You WILL know when it does, trust me. Maybe lexapro isn’t for you, if that’s the case, DON'T WORRY you WILL find something that works for you and it will be so worth it. Hang in there and don’t give up!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2019

For Anxiety "I had problems with severe panic attacks and my GP decided to have me try this. It worked like a charm in that the ruminations were gone and my anxiety decreased greatly (although never disappeared). However the side effects made me stop taking it - mostly weight gain."

Luc (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2019

For Depression "Lexapro has changed my life for the better. I first started Lexapro in September of 2018 after consulting with my MD about severe PMS symptoms including short temper and feelings of disgust towards my significant other. I never expected it to improve my day to day life. Since I've been on Lexapro, my PMS issue has been completely resolved and I'm a generally happier person. My co-workers, who don't know I've started taking Lexapro, have told me that I'm more approachable and I even got employee of the quarter! That's NEVER happened before! The only noticeable side effect I had was a decreased libido but it was short lived. With less anger and no more " divorce or death" PMS feelings, my sex life is as good if not better than ever! Medications work differently from individual to individual but, for me, Lexapro is a life saver!"

KS (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019

For Depression "I have been on Lexapro (20 mg) for 2 years, and prior to that I was taking Paxil (25 mg) for 6 months (25 y/o female). My personality completely changed upon taking lexapro- very apathetic, aggressive, secluded. I gained weight (20lbs) and could not drink more than 2/3 alcoholic drinks with out risking a blackout. If I didn’t take the pill for 2 days I would absolutely freak out. All I could do is cry and complain. I would sweat, shake, zap, and get nauseous/dizzy every time I moved. I decided to get off this terrible medication! I am on week 4 and it’s been three days since my last dose. I’m starting to feel bad. I cannot sleep, no appetite, I can’t focus, I feel dizzy all the time and my body temp is never comfortable. Mood swings are a big one. Distracting yourself is key!"

sopha (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2019

For Anxiety "I was on 20 mg Lexapro for about three years for anxiety and severe panic attacks. It worked very well. I went off it recently for about 6 months, having done a lot of therapy, learning skills to deal with my anxiety and panic. All was well until my friend committed suicide about a month ago. I started experiencing such extreme anxiety again I decided to restart my Lexapro at 10mg. Big mistake for my body. I suffered the most extreme panic and adrenaline rushes I’ve ever felt. I thought I was dying, was vomiting, had diarrhea, my legs were shaking, and I had no ability to regulate my emotions. I felt as I was going crazy and it left me on my bathroom floor moaning for days. Terrible terrible side effects. A precautionary tale, if you know you’re sensitive to meds, start this drug on a very low dose to avoid serotonin overload. I’m on 2.5 mg now and feeling much better, will continue to slowly increase!"

Katie January 24, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have had panic disorder for 24 years. It started in my early 20's. I tried a lot of medications ; which caused more panic attacks. I finally found tofranil , but have had major side effects . I finally decided to try something new and are very, very fearful I will go back to those horrible panic attacks. I am 54 now and just started lexapro 10 days ago . Reading comments from people taking the medication has really helped me!! I've been having hot flashes, dizziness and nausea . I am going to hang in there due to all the same experiences, saying side effects at the start but then later you get the great benefits !! It has eased my mind and made me continue the med - lexapro to reach the full benefits !!!"

Cat January 23, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started taking this medication at only 5mg and the side effects were torture. I took this medication for 2-3 weeks and I had so many panic attacks, cold sweats, nausea and it made me cry a lot as the panic attacks were horrible."

Iris (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2019

For Anxiety "Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Been on it for three years and switching to Effexor. I still felt anxious for no reason, felt down a lot and had panic attacks. I hope this new medication works better for me."

Review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2019

For Depression "Helped my depression a lot but tons of side effects. Couldn't even have 1 drink while on it because it felt like I was overdosing on a nervous system depressant (heaviness/pain in arms and legs/chest). ALSO kept being woken up in the middle of the night with extreme panic/heart palpitations. Felt disconnected from my body a lot too. Things I never experienced before taking lexapro. Weaned myself off it and the side effects went away. Not worth the benefits."

MIchaela (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2019

For Anxiety "Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Took it for three years and noticed no difference. Still felt pretty down and had panic attacks. Had diarrhea a lot too. Finally switched to effexor and hope that will be a positive experience."

Lexapro review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2019

For Anxiety "Before starting Lexapro, I was a complete mess. GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) had completely taken over my life. I could barely go outside without having an anxiety attack. I started Lexapro 5 mg two years ago and my life completely changed. It took about 2 weeks for me to feel a difference, and I was blown away by how different my life was. I was going to concerts, traveling, doing things I never thought I would be able to do with my level of anxiety. I switched off Lexapro to try a new drug recently to see if it would work better, but it made my anxiety worse than ever. Thankfully I started Lexapro again last week and I already feel so much better. This drug honestly saved my life and even though everyone is different, I would completely recommend trying it if you have GAD. The side effects (for me) were mild, only some insomnia and a little dizziness, so I would say if your starting it to wait a week or so, and you’ll feel a difference. I hope my review helps!"

Sb144 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking this medication for nine years. When I began taking it I was suffering from severe generalized anxiety disorder. Once the medication kicked in and I got the full benefits I found myself able to travel, I actually learned to fly an airplane, I found my anger and stress levels dropped dramatically. I did also note that I gained weight and my libido dropped a bit and my ejaculation was delayed. However none of the side effects was as troubling to me as the original generalized anxiety disorder. Now nine years later I find that the effects of the medication are somewhere reduced with regard to my ability to tolerate other people’s behavior, etc. My patience is somewhat shorter, however my anxiety levels remain mostly reduced and I am continuing to travel, to fly, and to live my life. I have noticed that among the generics the Mylan brand was the most effective. Unfortunately Mylan discontinued distributing this drug on December 28 of 2018."

Facetime4me (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started Lexapro in August at 5mg and am now up to 10mg at bedtime. It helps me sleep, it helps control my anxiety, and I know longer have nearly as many depressive or hopeless thoughts as I did before. I’m not saying it’s perfect but it’s made a huge difference for me. I have not experienced weight gain, but I have noticed a strong increase in my appetite like never before! I don’t know if that is the drug itself or just an improvement in my well being that makes me want to eat again. Another thing it’s helped me with is chronic pain. Some of my pain has improved immensely, and my pain medications have seemed to work better since about week 3 on Lexapro. Overall I’m happy with my decision to try it out."

Carolyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2019