User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"This medicine changed my life. I've suffered from social anxiety for 20 years and always afraid to ask for help, until one wedding anniversary with my husband at a restaurant was to much for me. I was uncomfortable and major anxiety just eating in a restaurant and I was tired of feeling like this. The next day I told my doctor I needed help, he gave me lexapro and my life has changed. I'm loving life again and nothing is holding me back. I'm so grateful I asked for help"

Lorie de August 22, 2016

"I've had anxiety for many years and my Dr had me on Xanax for about 12 years...3 times a day (0.25mg). She weaned me off to only taking 1 at night. While weaning she put me on 5mgs of lexapro to ease the process which was over a year ago and I still take the lexapro however, lately I have been experiencing more frequent panic/anxiety attacks which causes major dizziness more so than before. I'm not sure if Lexapro is for me or if the mgs is too low. I'll be making an appt to see my Dr but I want to see if anyone out there has had or is having this problem. It's pretty scary."

NanaRob August 22, 2016

"This medication has forever changed my life, it has possibly saved my marriage and relationship with my kids. I am a person who suffers from anxiety and severe mood swings. Before Lexapro I would snap at anything, little things would trigger anxiety attacks and that would lead to depression. My first week on Lexapro was not to bad I had some nausea, felt jittery at times, restlessness at night, and yawning uncontrollably. But I noticed right away and so did my husband that I was more at ease, happier, and was able to blow things off that would of made me blow up before. The pros out weighed the bad for me. So far I have been enjoying life more, laughing with my kids more often and not focusing so much on the little things."

G0128 August 21, 2016

"This was the most incredible pill. It entirely changed my life. I used to be so scared of failure and it used to effect my income and job performance. I used to have really bad anxiety and it used to effect my sleep pretty badly. The first month and a half were pretty brutal on Lexapro but after that it immediately began working. I no longer suffer from anxiety. I sleep extremely well. I can multi task now and I don't worry about things like I used to and my fear of failure is long gone. I was like you, reading this review, thinking that they must be fake. But I said what the hell and decided to book an appointment with my psychiatrist. My life has never been better since!"

Jordan87 August 18, 2016

"It worked very well for me six years ago. I had depression, little sleep and anxiety. I was off within a year but panic attacks have struck in recent weeks so I am hoping for a similar experience. A recent post was hoping for a two week improvement which is not how this drug or any ssri I know of works. It did work fairly quickly as I recall. I felt much better in 2-4 weeks and was able to make necessary life work changes within months. Calling it a lifesaver sounds about right to me."

Jersey guy2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2016

"I got this prescribed for frequent panic attacks and anxiety. All this medicine did for me was create a much bigger sense of anxiety. I should have know the first time I took this to never take it again, but I knew I needed to try it out for longer in hopes it would work. Immediately after I would take this my anxiety would worsen and after it settled I would experience uncontrollable panic attacks lasting over 2 hours. I do not recommend if you are incapable of waiting over a month with this being a possible side effect when taking it."

Val0 August 8, 2016

"After a long period of high stress and panic attacks, I reluctantly tried this medication (reluctantly because SSRIs had only INCREASED my anxiety problems in the past). I was only able to tolerate 2.5 mg of this medication, but it did help the anxiety some. It did not help my sleep (may have worsened it). Side effects were stomach upset and feeling very spacy. It was not a perfect medication for panic, the benzos are better. I experienced some relief from Lexapro but only at very small doses, and I still needed to use Xanax daily for panic attacks."

Kitkat11111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

"I am so grateful to my doctor by putting me on Lexapro. I was suffering many physical aches and pains plus in the end panic attacks I was not depressed I thought but did feel anxious and down especially in the mornings I am late 60's and guess I am a worrier I reached a point that I couldn't cope with normal everyday activities and after seeing my doctor she put me on Lexapro Within 3 to 4 weeks it kicked in and I felt back to normal It was amazing no more digestion problems back problems and I now sleep well and wake up happy, and I do walk each day and life is now much better as I'm able to cope with life and definitely recommend Lexapro. Probably the only side effect is yawning and sleepiness but that's so much better than insomnia."

GChS August 3, 2016

"Please read this. I've battled anxiety for a long time and when I had a recent bad time with it I needed extra help. Was prescribed Lexapro 10mg once a day. I'm a big hypochondriac so taking new medicine is a painful experience for me. The first week was tough, just adjusting to the meds but by day 4 I literally felt like I had done a 180 degree turn around. It works and I felt great. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks I broke out in hives and had to discontinue but I highly suggest for anyone battling anxiety. Zoloft was horrible. I did have withdrawals from both meds - the brain zaps but was asked to increase my water intake and that help flush it out. Had withdrawals for about a week."

JulesSan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"I think I have had anxiety and depression all my life. I kept ruining all my relationships because I had delusions of being cheated on and consequently kept accusing my partner(s). The patience of my second husband and seeing his pain propelled me to see a psychiatrist willingly (before this I was dragged there and refused to take medications) who prescribed me to Lexapro 10mg after dinner everyday. For the first 2 weeks, nothing changed in terms of my negative attitude towards my partner. The side effects were terrible, it felt like being pregnant, I was so nauseus sometimes I would lay in bed all day. After week 3 the sun seemed to shine brighter. I look at everyone positively. I am happier. My husband is crazy in love with me. Thank you"

Babygirl7773 July 8, 2016

"Changed my life. Anxiety is gone, and because of that my depression. Loving life anxiety free is amazing. Can't believe I waited this long is my only regret."

Windwolf (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I'm a 40yo old male who started Lexapro just over three weeks ago for GAD. The psychiatrist advised 5mg for the first 2 weeks to adjust to side effects, then to 10mg. The first 2 weeks I barely noticed any effect, maybe a little less stressed than usual, but then moving up to 10mg really hit me hard - fatigue, sweats, confusion, nausea, panic attacks. Honestly, 5 days in I was at the point of calling my doctor to say I couldn't take it anymore. But then on day 6, I woke up feeling a whole lot better. It's hard to describe but I just feel focused and relaxed in a way that I'd forgotten how, or maybe never knew. I'm now on day 8 at 10mg and am so glad I stuck with it. Talk to you Dr if you're feeling terrible but know it can get better."

JackNYC July 1, 2016

"I can not say enough good things about this med. I had a crazy experience with anxiety that came out of nowhere when I turned 28 and it was a long bumpy road for sure but now almost 4 months in I am back to normal. It definitely also helped me get priorities in line such as making my health a priority over late nights and drinking. I by no means was a hard partier but I had my fair share of nights out with friends. I now find it completely ok to go out, have a glass of wine and take it easy. The first month was rough. I had everything: nausea, increased anxiety, I lot almost 10 lbs from zero appetite but slowly and surely everything went away and I feel really good now. Don't get me wrong, you have to put in work emotionally but it works."

Kate22888 June 30, 2016

"This medicine gave me a panic attack shortly after I took it.never took it again"

Nck1985 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"I have been dealing with anxiety and depression off and on most of my life. I have never previously asked for help because I thought it was a sign of weakness. Before I was waking up in tears, I was always angry, sure that everyone was judging me. It completely crippled me. I also was self-medicating with pot and with chocolate and my weight was ballooning. I finally asked for help and started on a generic lexapro 10 mg - 2 weeks ago and it is like a miracle. I'm sleeping well, not a tear shed, losing weight, have lost interest in both chocolate and pot. I feel content and happy yet I still feel like me. I wish I had asked for help a long time ago. Life is good!"

Deb P June 11, 2016

"I was suffering from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, and depression. I wasn't functioning very well in my life. I was put on 20 mg of Lexapro. The first 4-6 weeks were hard. I had severe side effects and not sleeping. I stuck it out and am so happy. Lexapro has changed my life and the relationships I have with friends and family. I am also taking Trazadone at night to help my insomnia and depression."

COMOM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

"I'm a 63 yr old female, living alone. I've been on generic Lexapro since March 2016, 10mg. My dr. prescribed this after I described my high level of stress and anxiety, which caused sleepless nights. My extreme stress has been related to dealing with my elderly mother, who has signs of senility , but insists on living alone. There are other issues involved, but the point is: I'm 90% better. This medicine has 'fully kicked in', and I feel like a renewed person, with a greater quality of life. Sleeping through the night, and able to function & feel normal again. No words to describe the positive changes. Grateful this medicine worked for me!"

Imagine smiling (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

"I was put on Klonaphin and Xanax for anxiety and depersonalization when i was 16. A doctor switched me from klonaphin to lexapro without any wearing. I have horrible withdrawl from the klonaphin and almost gave up on the lexapro cause i thought it was giving me these side effects. After just a few weeks i felt great! I didnt even notice until one day i sat and thought "hey im happy and i feel great!" 5 years later some anxiety and ocd is peaking threw. Dont be discouraged. This medicine isnt a cure-all but it works wonders. Give it a chance."

Tabathabelle June 5, 2016

"My anxiety got to the point where treatment wasn't an option, I had to try something. I gave Lexapro a chance. Its been good for me. The drug has slowed down my anxiety. I feel less anxious around people and in general I feel like my internal monologue has slowed down a bit. I've noticed when I'm around people I'm less reactive whereas before I was jumpy and unsettled. I am on 10mg. About a decade ago I tried zoloft and effexor both with mixed results. Currently I take Lexapro and Adderall. It seems to be a good combo for me. There have been some side effects. My sleep is disrupted at times, I have trouble reaching orgasm and sometimes I feel a bit lethargic. This drug is working well for me, I hope it continues to be effective."

John Ho June 1, 2016

"Had every side effect in the beginning. Almost quit taking it. But I am so glad I stuck it out. After 9 months of being on the medication I am finally starting to feel normal again. I begin taking this after I had my second baby I suffered terrible anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder. I am still breastfeeding so that was sent me your consideration however I haven't noticed anything changing in my child whilst feeding. I am so glad I continue taking this and I have to say to anyone who is thinking about stopping due to the side effects at the start keep at it it will only be a couple of months before you start to feel better. Lexapro seriously saved my life!"

Emzmother May 17, 2016

"back on lexapro after a few years of not taking it. only been taking it for about a week so far and having little side effects at all. yawning a fair bit and feeling a little tired here and there but for me this is a good thing because i used have real trouble sleeping at night. nothing else other than that. no dizzy spells, no nausea, nothing! if you are new to this or are reading reviews to see if you will be ok with lexapro than PLEASE give it a chance. you will be so thankful for it once you start feeling the benefits from it. as i said ive only started taking it again about a week ago so im not back to being my normal self just yet but i know its coming any day now with a positive attitude!"

Johnny Tapp May 1, 2016

"The time I been on lexapro I had mild side effects like yawning and insomnia really bad to the point I am only sleeping five hours or so...I can say it calms you but I haven't got the full effect of getting back to my old self again..."

Anonymous April 27, 2016

"Hi I started lexapro 20 mg around Dec 2015, for generalized anxiety. I was scared to take any prescribed drug due to me not wanting to get hooked on meds. My anxiety so bad that I was unable to function at all. I have two children and there was no other option for me but to try something. The first week I had insomnia, slight tremors. I would wake up every morning at 6am with it seemed to be a empty stomach. I went to the ER twice in the first week. I felt like there was no end. My husband thought it was all in my head. By week 2 every side effect started to decrease day by day. I was able to get out of bed and clean my house. I felt like I was not confined anymore. Week 4 brand new me. Try this med, it saved me and could save you!!!"

michellejob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"After four years my sweats are getting g worse and hope I don't have to stop taking this medication as it took the butterfly feel from my stomach"

thankfull (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

"So to start, Im not affiliated with any med companies, nor is this some fake bs review. I was you, scanning reviews all night long, just two weeks ago. I have a HUGE personal phobia of medication, in dread of any adverse side effects... and my anxiety has also come back with a vengeance over the last 2 years, and began controlling my life. I started on 5mg generic. People say it's placebo at this dose....everyone is different. I can tell you a few things: The 9th day on it I had realized most of my anxiety was gone & all my emotions, sex drive, were all in tact. 1 major problem... Insomnia for every single night, and night sweats. Couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night. Helped, but not the right med for me due to this. Try it!"

AnActuallyHonestReview (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016