User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"This is week 3 on lexapro & I truly am amazed and so glad I gave it a shot. For the past 2 years I’ve been struggling with non stop cycles of anxiety, from my health to my relationship, racing and intrusive thoughts with a bit of an obsessive tendency added. I eventually got to my breaking point and decided that it was time to do something. Therapy just wasn't doing enough for me and I didn’t want it to take over my life. I have to admit the first 2 weeks were rough, I didn’t have any major side effects but I was very very anxious and panicky I was so convinced this medicine wouldn’t work for me, I read just about every review on this site. I’m now on week 3 and just about 90% of my anxiety is gone just like that and it’s truly crazy that a pill can make this all better. I’ve never felt so positive and confident in myself in a very very long time. This pill works & if it doesn’t there’s always another option. But stick with it and give it time- at least for a month!!"

s22 February 12, 2019

"I was prescribed Lexapro for GAD a few months ago and I'm so scared to take it because of all the bad reviews I have read on it. I also have high blood pressure and asthma, CAD, my anxiety and panic attacks are really bad. I have been also having bouts of depression. I was just wondering should I really be that worried about the side affects of this medication and does the benefits out weight the side effects.."

Kareem February 7, 2019

"I was prescribed Lexapro/Escitalopram for anxiety and depression. I began at 10 mg and over the course of a few weeks increased to 20 mg. At first, I noticed some jaw tightness/clenching, but nothing miserable or extreme. A few nights of insomnia. The only negative side effect now is sexual dysfunction. It's not a lack of desire, it is simply not being able to get from point A to point B, if you know what I mean. The upside to all of this is that it makes me feel better than I ever have in my life. It's like the clouds have parted, and I feel joy and peace. If someone cuts me off in traffic, instead of having to stop myself from feeling road rage, it just rolls off me. I don't feel an ounce of irritability or anger. My stress level is WAY down. I believe because my cortisol level went back down to normal, I actually have lost weight with Lexapro. It feels like a miracle. I feel much more emotionally stable now, and I'm so grateful."

Sunydys33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

"Started Lexapro 3/2018 after brain surgery. Dr recommended for anxiety. 1st week was 5mg/ morning I felt sleepy, headaches & some nausea. 2nd week headaches & slight nausea but totally fine after week 2. This pill also helped to mask pains from my chronic Illness, chiari malformation. I was walking 2 &1/2 miles everyday, traveled with my family. The short tempered or had bad moods were gone. The biggest letdown was the weight gain! I kept telling the docs & they kept saying I shouldn't gain much more. I was on it for 6 months & gained 30lbs even while exercising & eating clean, DASH diet. Lexapro slows down the metabolism & increases appetite. I HAD to come off because of the weight gain. I stopped it 3 months ago have not lost not 1lb! Withdrawal symptoms were worse than going on the pill. Took a month a half to taper off 10mg. I felt zaps, jolts, irritability, and my chronic pains are totally back. I am struggling to lose this weight so bad. The weight is the factor for me coming off it."

Celly January 30, 2019

"I took anywhere from 10-30 mg of lexepro for ~7 years for GAD and I believe it helped me the whole time with social anxiety (I still had some remaining existential anxiety but it was manageable). I think it really can help some people! However I did have a bad experience when I weened off lexepro and tried to go back on it. Side-effects like crazy! Really thought I was losing it for a while and could not sleep so I was switched to Prozac and trazadone and it’s been a couple months now and everything is getting back to normal! Anyway just wanted to warn anyone who is trying to get back on lexepro to watch for side-effects because it may no longer agree with you, but keep trying other medications and you will find another that works :)"

Bestwishes (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2019

"I’m taking Lexapro for generalized anxiety/major depressive disorder because I was not functioning at 100% on my medication for bipolar disorder. I’ve been on 10mg for the past 10 weeks. It took about 4-6 weeks for me to feel the full benefits. I am now 99% anxiety free and the most happiest and balanced I’ve been in years. I have returned to being functional (able to leave the house, showering, exercising, working, able to care for myself, getting adequate rest). There first few weeks were tough because of side effects: serious nausea, feeling high strung/unable to sleep (a little manic that at first I got worried) but I hung in there and now I’m doing better than ever."

20min (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

"I have had panic disorder for 24 years. It started in my early 20's. I tried a lot of medications ; which caused more panic attacks. I finally found tofranil , but have had major side effects . I finally decided to try something new and are very, very fearful I will go back to those horrible panic attacks. I am 54 now and just started lexapro 10 days ago . Reading comments from people taking the medication has really helped me!! I've been having hot flashes, dizziness and nausea . I am going to hang in there due to all the same experiences, saying side effects at the start but then later you get the great benefits !! It has eased my mind and made me continue the med - lexapro to reach the full benefits !!!"

Cat January 23, 2019

"I started taking this medication at only 5mg and the side effects were torture. I took this medication for 2-3 weeks and I had so many panic attacks, cold sweats, nausea and it made me cry a lot as the panic attacks were horrible."

Iris (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2019

"I have been taking this medication for nine years. When I began taking it I was suffering from severe generalized anxiety disorder. Once the medication kicked in and I got the full benefits I found myself able to travel, I actually learned to fly an airplane, I found my anger and stress levels dropped dramatically. I did also note that I gained weight and my libido dropped a bit and my ejaculation was delayed. However none of the side effects was as troubling to me as the original generalized anxiety disorder. Now nine years later I find that the effects of the medication are somewhere reduced with regard to my ability to tolerate other people’s behavior, etc. My patience is somewhat shorter, however my anxiety levels remain mostly reduced and I am continuing to travel, to fly, and to live my life. I have noticed that among the generics the Mylan brand was the most effective. Unfortunately Mylan discontinued distributing this drug on December 28 of 2018."

Facetime4me (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2019

"I started Lexapro in August at 5mg and am now up to 10mg at bedtime. It helps me sleep, it helps control my anxiety, and I know longer have nearly as many depressive or hopeless thoughts as I did before. I’m not saying it’s perfect but it’s made a huge difference for me. I have not experienced weight gain, but I have noticed a strong increase in my appetite like never before! I don’t know if that is the drug itself or just an improvement in my well being that makes me want to eat again. Another thing it’s helped me with is chronic pain. Some of my pain has improved immensely, and my pain medications have seemed to work better since about week 3 on Lexapro. Overall I’m happy with my decision to try it out."

Carolyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2019

"I began taking lexapro and initially had some pretty severe nausea. It lasted about 4 days and began to die down. After the first week was over I could already feel a difference in my anxiety levels and depression. My appetite is finally levelling out and I am no longer over eating. In general I feel pretty good."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2018

"I’m 26, anxious and depressed for 12 years, started taking lexapro a year and a half ago and it has changed my life drastically, began at 5mg and gradually increased to 20mg. At the time I began taking it, I was unemployed, sleeping all day and all night, or not sleeping at all, crying regularly, unable to quit smoking, not eating, avoiding social situations, and engaging in destructive relationships. 1.5 years on lexapro later, ALL of these behaviours have ceased - and I feel healthier by the day. I experience a full range of emotions and depressive thoughts from time to time - but the lows do not last for more than a day. When I first started taking Lexapro I felt like I was on smack. Other side effects included diminished libido and nausea. These eventually passed - after about 6 months. That’s when I started to notice my mood really stabilise. I’d recommend lexapro to anyone with longstanding anxiety and depression."

Tawny Frogmouth December 12, 2018

"I was on Lexapro for about 2 years. It definitely helped with depressive thoughts and feelings. I was able to get out of bed, shower, and live. It did have some side effects that I didn't enjoy. Namely, my libido zeroed out, leaving me with no desire for intimacy. I also started to get migraines from time to time, as well as weird, often gruesome, dreams. It definitely helped me to be able to live my life while managing my anxiety, but in the end, my side effects outweighed the benefits."

Mik (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2018

"Hi guys, As others I wanted to share my experience. I've been on this lexapro for more then 4 years in the past. Then last spring when I've been noticing I sometimes forgot my 5 mg dose I tapered down on the medicine. In the summer no real issues, but the winter came in hard and 1 bad trigger had me right back on the anxious side. I re-started to take 10 mg for 2 weeks and now 1 week at 15mg. First weeks I suffered increased anxiety, panic attacks and didn't see any hope. And then BAM, it starts working. I'm still not at the full benefits but I feel it kicked in. Now I'm back to having interest in stuff, people etc. So I have 3 major advices.1. Please give the medicine time, it might be rough but when it starts working you gonna have the real benefits. 2. It's not a shame to take a little pill. People with high blood sugar levels do it too. 3. Don't see this medication as the only solution... See therapists , do some cardio, mindfullness. I pray for all you guys!"

Positivist (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

"Hello, I would like to say I lived by these reviews to help me through my darkest days with this here anxiety/panic disorder. I had symptoms that range from nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, no appetite, the feeling of about to pass out/faint, noodle feeling sensation in my leg etc to the point I didn't feel like myself anymore and thought death was near. Thank you for your reviews it help get past all that and I got to the good part where is works without the side effects"

Heartbreak89 November 9, 2018

"I’ve been on lexapro for a good three, four months now. I’m 18 and I’ve been having extremely bad panic attacks. But the medications seems to somewhat help with the panic. I got diagnosed with panic disorder today and mood disorder. So taking lexapro with a mood disorder can potentially make things worse for me. But hopefully that’s not the case. My therapist upped my dosage to 20 mg today so I start that tomorrow. I hope things work out well because I really don’t want things to get worse."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

"I’ve been taking 10mg for 6mths for GAD & OCD. There were improvements to anxiety but at the same time I changed some lifestyles habits and relieved stress by moving house and stopping work, and I also got treatment from a few different resources. So I can’t say that this medication was what worked. What I have noticed is that despite giving up sugar (binge eating) for over 4 mths and going to the gym for over a month now I am not experiencing weight loss. In fact, I’ve gained weight! I’m also retaining fluid and am constipated often. I’m female, 42 years young. I’m choosing to go off this medication (psych says it leaves the body within 27hrs and I shouldn’t experience side effects) because I don’t like the above side effects. I’ll let you know."

Willo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2018

"Well today is my first day taking this med. Really hope it works as I have been dealing with GAD and panic attacks for almost 2 years now. My first dr started me on prozac and that was a nightmare - it made my panic attacks worse. I was given Ativan to take as need and that helped but I came off all meds due to not wanting to be depended on them so I just been dealing the best I can. Now I'm really tired of being like this, face tingles all the time, I have tension headaches everyday, and i just don't feel right and most the time its like I'm outside my body - I don't know how to describe it. So I finally have a new dr and she wants me to try this so first 10mg is now taking. Now the wait begins to see if this helps. I really hope no side effects cause my anxiety will go through the roof. She did say if in one week I feel no change then go up to 20mg please pray 10mg works. Will help date later."

Turtlegirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2018

"I’ve been on 10mg of lexapro for 3 months now. I’ve been suffering with anxiety for the past 10 years I’m 59. The first 3 weeks were horrible with most side effects they appear to have gone now however I have gained weight about 5kgs. The lexapro definitely has helped my anxiety has at least halved and I can do most things. I still occasionally take half an Ativan when I’m feeling very anxious. The main thing I seem to get is chest pain which is almost everyday I’ve been to the ER on many occasions and they say I’m fine. I don’t know whether to increase my lexapro or not. All in all I’m reasonably happy with lexapro."

Markscura (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2018

"This medicine is miracle!!! I been having anxiety since I was little girl, I been on lexapro for a month my anxiety went away, I feel happier, confidence, and I am more organized at work."

Rosa (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

"I was very resistant to the idea of taking meds, but somehow lived with crippling anxiety for over 10 years that affected my friendships, family connections and ability to have a meaningful relationship. A year ago I tried Prozac and it made me have suicidal thoughts and the start up affects didn't disappear after 8 weeks. Then 3 months ago I bit the bullet and tried lexapro. Let me tell you that any Doctor who says u will be fine after 2 weeks doesn't know what they are talking about. The start up effects are brutal...sickness, increased anxiety, depression. I couldn't leave bed. However, 6-8 weeks later all these effects subsided and now 3 months + in its the best I've ever felt. This is game changer for someone who has suffered anxiety for over 10 years. Next...dedication towards therapies (recommend ACT, excellent framework to building up resistance to anxiety and minimalising its impact on your life). Stick with it...6-8 weeks of pain is nothing compared to months, years of feeling great."

RealRL (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"Worked like a champ for 18 months. A near-miracle drug. Only downsides: it stopped working after 18 months. Also, I gained 30 pounds during that time and had a reduced libido."

Zac (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2018

"I was on 10 mg Lexapro for about 14 years and it was great. I recently decided to try and go down to 5 mg and I crashed big-time. Now I'm back on the 10 mg for a little over a month. I was feeling better last weekend, but had a panic attack and could not get on a plane for work, which caused me to spiral all this week. Back to square 1. Wondering if I should ask my doctor to increase to 15 mg or more...I have not been sleeping this week and it's hard to eat."

rwat67 (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

"I had great luck with this medication for many years and then got off of it when I got pregnant. About 6 weeks postpartum I became very depressed and my anxiety spiked. My doctor put me on Zoloft and after giving it 8 weeks and only feeling worse and worse my doctor switched me to Lexapro. I started at 10mg for 3 weeks, experienced a little diarrhea but nothing too awful. However, it wasn’t taking away my anxiety issues. By that point I had become agoraphobic, couldn’t drive, had to take some time off work. Doctor upped me to 20mg and 2 weeks later I started driving again, working out again, feeling like a normal human being. I read through the positive reviews on this page over and over to get me through. Please, please give the medication 4-8 weeks to feel the full benefits. And only read positive reviews. You’ll make it through this and know you are not alone!"

GiveItAChance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years."

Orangejuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018