User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Lexapro has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 468 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 79% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro

AztecBeauty · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2021

“If only I had taken this sooner, how different my life could have been. I have dealt with PTSD, anxiety, panic attacks, depression and the whole shebang since I was 18. I am now 40. I am a single mom and keeping up with works, kids, school was just draining on top of being in a flight fight mode 24/7. Going to the grocery store or a simple dr appointment for them was a chore within itself. My first 2 weeks, I was very sleepy during the day, no appetite and awake at night. I stuck with it and I am now on week 4. You know how it is working? I was terrified to even think about going into an unknown situation. A week ago I decided to apply to different jobs. Yesterday, I got ready and went to an interview and nailed it!! I was not anxious nor did I run out of there. I was calm and collected and my thoughts weren't a fog. I am still in shock!!! I am so excited for what life will be from here on out. Hang in there.”

Suz June 3, 2020

“I will update in a few weeks with my full experience with starting Lexapro. Let me tell you, I was TERRIFIED to start this medication due to bad reviews. I am terrified of feeling ill and ESPECIALLY vomiting. I finally told myself this morning I can no longer live in fear of my own life, constantly anxious, and told myself to just take the medicine. I was prescribed 10 mg, but personally medications do cause significant side effects for me (I am 5’4 and 100 pounds soaking wet) so I broke it down to 2.5 mg to start. I have experienced NO terrible side effects, it’s been roughly eight hours. I have had some “burning” sensation in my stomach, but I also have terrible stomach issues as is. I have been tired as well, but depression does that to a person.. PLEASE TAKE THIS MEDICATION. IT MAY HELP YOU. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. You. Can. Do. This.. *I will update in a few weeks with results as of then*”

Nicolette · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 24, 2020

“I have extreme anxiety and chronic depression I can not tell you how much this medication has saved me from harming myself. I’ve been on it now for 5 years started at 2mg daily and now up to 10mg recently after losing my job and this coronavirus pandemic. Overall this pill isn’t magic but it’s helped me and my anxiety and compulsive thinking. It doesn’t give those weird side effects like blank thinking or weird dreams. All this medication has done is ground myself and thoughts and I’m thankful for that. Oh and if your worried that it makes you gain weight it did not make me gain any weight at all.”

Snoopy November 1, 2020

“I’ve been on Lexapro for 3 months now for major GAD, social anxiety and moderate to severe depression. I had gotten to the point where I was crying all day every day. Could barely function in social situations and would spend all day negatively ruminating over every little thing. I would wake up every night at 3-4 in the morning and just lay there worrying about everything. Lexapro is wonderful. This is the first time I’ve felt hopeful and productive in so long. I sleep through the night again and I haven’t cried in 2 months (that is HUGE for me). The only negatives I have noticed with Lexapro have leveled off after a couple of weeks. I experienced sexual side effects at first but they went away. Lots of grogginess in the morning at first but it leveled off. Anyway I’m at 20mg of Lexapro/day now and I’m so thankful. I haven’t felt this good in a really long time. It has given me my life back.”

happypillz · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

“I have had anxiety, insomnia and I guess depression for life. I'm 42 and finally told my PCP I felt like I was going to lose it after a lot of drama plus COVID quarantine. I was on zoloft (generic) for weeks and the side effects were unbearable, I almost checked myself into the hospital it was so bad. I was switched to lexapro (generic) and feel like a new woman! Calm cool and collected. Wish I had these in my 20s I would have a different life lol.”

Thankful February 11, 2020

“2019 Took toll on my life in every aspect. I am 45 years old & my career crashed, my husband left me & I am battling legal issues. My husband locked me out of utility accounts til’ shut off notices arrived. I could not think straight at all. My stress & worries took over me. I began deep depression and the worries would overwhelm me to a point I wanted to sleep, but I had insomnia. My mind would race, I closed myself off to the world and prayed heavily. I could no longer have normal conversations. I pushed everyone away. I finally called my Dr, realizing it was more than I could handle. I’ve only been on it one week & can truly say “LEXAPRO SAVED MY LIFE”. I do not feel different at all. I feel “Normal”. I can think. I can decipher between tasks of importance and have been more productive than I have in a year. I sleep better. I go to bed with a clearer picture & less worry. The stress & reality is all still there, but each day I am managing and making progress now!”

Ali82 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2020

“3 years on Lexapro, I have a life. I am so grateful that I found a doctor who really worked with me to find something that worked. And also for convincing me to stay in it as I had so many conflicting beliefs around using antidepressants. My moods are stable, it’s helped me during 2 pregnancies and with postnatal anxiety. I notice my mood swings and insomnia creep back if I’m not taking regularly. It’s a lifesaver for me and it took me approx 9 days to start feeling normal when I first took it. The initial side effects do stop. Sex drive did come back. ”

desto · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2021

“I took my first dose of this medication a week ago. I had a terrible panic attack and had to stop taking it. I decided yesterday that I was going to start taking it again. I have agoraphobia, panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. It’s gotten to the point where I can barely leave my house most days. I decided I need to make a change. I know that with medications like these it always gets worse before it gets better, so hang in there. Read the positive reviews, ignore the negative ones. I’ll come back on in 6 weeks and update with my experience. Zoloft has worked in the past so I’m hoping this will work too. HANG IN THERE. YOU’RE NOT ALONE.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

“First off I would like to say I feel everybody’s pain , and you are not alone . I went through years of anxiety and panic. Lexapro has changed my life . I’m on day 10 and I already feel a HUGE DIFFERENCE. Please believe me when I say this , while on this drug it has to get worse before it gets better ( exactly what my doctor told me ) . I had massive side affects the first 6 days at least and then are finally starting to taper off on day 10. Do not give up on the drug. I used to have 10 heart palpitations a day and now I have MAYBE 1 and it has only been 10 days . I started with 5 mg and on day 7 I jumped up to 10 mg . Side affects included dizziness , nausea , headache , extreme panic , sweaty hands and feet . You need to let this pass and realize you are going to be fine and get through this . If you play the game mind over matter you will win and it can change your life . I feel all your pain and hope this review has at least pointed one person in the right direction.”

Max March 9, 2020

“Hi there! Just a disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor, nor do I specialize in anything beyond my own experience. This is my own perspective that I want to share for those who were just like me. I take 2.5 mg of Lexapro. The first aspect I'd like to clarify, is that taking a pill is not magic. I work out 2-3 times a week, I eat healthy and I make a conscious effort to do skills my therapist teaches me like grounding, CBT, and balance. My anxiety is still there. However, the crippling act of having anxiety that would physically make me drop to my knees and ruminate in my brain for days in a row, has subsided. Side effects of weird dreams, icy-hot feeling and anxiousness did happen in the first week. This may not work for everyone, as everyone is different. I have read those same crazy reviews that scare you. I have circled on the act of why and when and how and what if. I still have fears. I still get anxious. However, the place I was at I wish for no one in the world to have to go through.”

destos June 19, 2021

“I said I’d come back and write a review after a few weeks, so here I am!! I’m not going to lie to you, the first few weeks of this medication was hard (terrible thoughts, increased anxiety, insane amounts of sleeping). But I am so very glad I stuck with it. For 7 months, I could barely go 5 minutes from my house without getting a panic attack. I was terrified of everything and developed really bad agoraphobia. My anxiety controlled every aspect of my life and I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to get over it. This medication is slowly starting to give me my life back after just almost 4 weeks on it. All the side effects have cleared up and I have done more this week than I was able to do in the past 7 months. I did everything I was once terrified of doing, and I had not a lot of anxiety doing it. If you are having side effects and they are getting to you right now, I am BEGGING YOU to stick with it. I almost stopped taking this medication, and I am so happy that I didn’t stop.”

Herta · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 7, 2021

“I was prescribed escitalopram for GAD with panic attacks after trying 2 other medicines(tryciclic antidepressants). Along with 20 mg lexapro I was taking 2 mg of clonazepam daily, 25 mg of quetiapine in the evening and melatonin for sleep. At that time I was experiencing all possible symptoms of severe anxiety, breathlessness, rapid heart rate, low mood, I felt overwhelmed and was crying all day. I had upset stomach, fear of dying, I wasn't going out at all, my family were worried and I thought I was dying. When I started the medicine I experienced side effects: excessive yawning, insomnia, increased anxiety, nausea, sweating which lasted about 2 weeks. After 3-4 weeks of taking escitalopram I started feeling better, I started therapy, and applying yoga , meditation etc. Now I feel great, I can enjoy life again and you can do it as well.”

anonymous January 28, 2020

“I just wanted to share my experience with people who are just starting out on Lexapro. This is my 20th day on Lexapro and I must say that the first two weeks are pretty rough. The first week it made my anxiety to the point I've never felt before with nausea, fatigue, headache with a fog. Had insomnia was well. The second week the anxiety started to subside and nausea was gone but started to get hunger pains so drank a lot of water instead of grabbing food every time I got the hunger pain. I also got some days with dizziness in week two and fog and headache with fatigue during the mornings (I take it first thing in morning) and would subside by afternoon. Insomnia started to get better. By the start of week number three all the side effects started to diminish little each and every day. At this point pretty much all side effects are gone and no anxiety. It took about 3 weeks for me and now its great. 10mg day.”

Sass · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2021

“I started on Lexapro 2 years ago because of illness and family issues. It worked really well for me. No side effects whatsoever. I began with drops of 2.mg and slowly reached one tablet of 10mg after 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, I began to feel like myself again. 6 months ago, feeling well, I weaned myself myself off. No side effects again. I got sick again this year and my anxiety rose. I have put myself back on Lexapro and I am just starting week 2. I'm ok so far again. This time, I started on 5mg and today have just started 10mg. I feel guilty for having to resort to Lexapro again but if taking a pill gets me back to myself, I will take it. Just be aware that it takes a couple of weeks to start feeling the effects. I start feeling better after a week. I'm hoping it helps me as it's done before. It sort of gives you a floor when you feel your anxiety rising and stops the spiralling effect. I will take it as long as I need it. I'm so grateful it is available. Highly recommended!”

Amelia December 19, 2020

“Let’s talk menopause! I eat healthy teach yoga all work with natural therapies. Stress and meonopause, diet, exercise, meditation and herbals didn’t clear the fog and short temper and irritability. I was turning into a porcupine and I was prickly to everyone and everything around me, defensive. It took effort to to do anything, negative brain chatter, apathy, jumping from project to project shopping for satisfaction. Three days ago I went for a physical we talked and it is now three days on Lexapro, very little side affects, the difference is that someone turned on the sunshine in my heart again, sleeping with a smile, jaw clenching, gone! So grateful for this tool of healing. It is where I need to be, yes I will still keep taking those supplements and maybe that’s why I don’t have such bad starting effects. I think too much emphasis on lack of sex drive. For me I’d rather be happy functional sunny balanced and grounded”

Outside Sales · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2020

“I have been an over the road salesman for 23 years. 5 years ago I had a panic attack while driving on the highway in a construction zone. I could only manage back roads to get home. I lost sensation in my feet and hands, not good for driving. 10 mg Lexapro had me driving on highways again after a month.”

Dml November 22, 2021

“I am 2 weeks in to my 10mg Lexapro. I will say everyday for the first 7 days I wanted to quit! I was tired so, so, so tired felt so much anxiety had panic attacks almost every morning. Like I said I'm 2 weeks in and I literally feel like a new person a new happy person who again wants to go outside I want to talk to friends again. I spent so long no wanting to be around my family friends didn't want to do my job didn't want to shop didn't wanna cook or eat I finally told my doctor I don't feel like a person anymore at all I had no drive to do anything at all. If your struggling please don't stop taking it... I promise life starts in roughly 10 days!!! I get up now I'm not tired I can eat my stomach doesn't stay in knots and I'm not living in my head worried about everything possible and no panic attacks thank goodness! Stay strong you got this!!! These post are the reason I'm at this point...thank you everyone for your stories.”

Calder · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2021

“This is the 2nd time I've been on Lexapro. The first time was 15 yrs ago for 2 years at 5mg. It worked, especially for my GAD. This time, I know have an autoimmune disease with weird symptoms that significantly exacerbates my GAD and depressive thought cycles. Reluctantly, I went back on 5mg of Lexapro and it has helped, significantly. My main side effect is vivid dreaming, but I'm a prolific dreamer anyway. For me, 10mg is too much. Doctors don't like to hear that. Trust what works for you! You know your body. Lexapro is one of the safest SSRIs out there and I don't like taking meds. . .of any kind.”

pablo2000 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“After suffering with OCD since childhood (I'm now 36) and have been through various long lasting periods of depression and bouts of extreme OCD. I gave up on the few times I'd tried other therapies. I finally just asked my Dr if I could try anti depressants. She offered 5mg of Lexapro for 2 weeks and in view to up dosage afterwards if I felt ok. 5mg seemed to not have any side effects, but the difference in my anxiety was not greatly improved. So I upped to 10mg in the morning. A month in and I can honestly say I have been better than I have been in ages. Really amazed at the results. Don't expect euphoria, as its not a happy pill unless you have an imbalance. But I feel like I must have, as I really feel a whole lot better, and still feel like the same person. Just without all the stupid worries. Highly recommend for anxiety and OCD. I wish I took it 20 years ago.”

Recovery · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2021

“I’ve been diagnosed with GAD since I was 16. I first tried sertraline and that worked for me until I was 18 when I stopped taking it. Once my anxiety relapsed again a year later, sertraline didn’t work for me anymore. I then switched to Wellbutrin but that didn’t work for me after 6 months of waiting. I honestly thought I would never recover from my anxiety… until I tried lexapro!!! The very first week, I felt happier, I had more energy, I was talking more, I even told others that it felt like it was harder to be sad or to get stuck in that dark place when I’m anxious. Fast forward to 1 month on the drug, I haven’t even felt anxious for a moment. I feel like my old self!!! I have energy, I want to go out and do things, I just feel happy. I’m so glad I tried this drug. I was in a dark place struggling with my anxiety where I told myself I’d rather not live than to “survive” each day struggling with my anxiety…. If you’re reading this, DONT GIVE UP!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

“Hi I just started taking lexapro after having a major nervous breakdown due to coming off a Lyme disease medication too quickly. I had never felt so close to suicide in all my life. I started the lexapro at 5 mg and it started to help with the panic almost instantly, am trying to get to 10 mg slowly. Thanks for all the reviews, it really helped me when I was at my worst to hang in there and wait for the medication to start working. Hang in there everyone”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2020

“My life was literally wrecked by depression and anxiety when it turned its ugly head when I was 17 years old. I've been through terrible times and through a living nightmare. Now I'm 32 years old on Lexapro and I feel good finally.”

Jeb · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2021

“I am 60 years old and have suffered from anxiety since I was 23 years old. Many times the panic attacks were quite severe. I had trouble holding down a job and there were times I couldn't drive and was terrified of being alone. I've tried so many anti anxiety drugs but I expected them to work right away. I've done years of counseling. In October of 2020 my doctor put me on 5mg of Lexapro.I knew what side effects to expect and they lasted almost 3 weeks before I started to notice that it was working. In January I started 10mg. I have not had an anxiety attack since I've been taking Lexapro. It gave me my life back. I feel normal for the first time in many years.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2020

“I started 5 mg of Lexapro for social anxiety a month ago, with no side effects. My doctor increased to 10 mgs. And after 2 yrs, I'm still uses it, and my social anxiety is subsided Amazing, I was a mess!”

Ola · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

“I've had anxiety problems since I was about 12 and was put on Lexapro when I was 18 years old. I didn’t feel much difference that time and stopped after about a month because my parents found out I was on it and shamed me into stopping. I’m now 19 and my anxiety has gotten much worse, I disassociate often and I’m depressed. I got put back on it and I’m on day 4. I’m having a really bad time on it. I’m extremely anxious right now, it’s made me dizzy and it’s given me stomach problems. I did notice an improvement in my sleeping right away which has been amazing. Reading the comments that say that you just have to wait it out are helping a lot, it’s making me motivated to continue and it’s reminding me that this feeling isn’t going to last. I hope in a few months things are better.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder