User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro

TO · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

“Life and work progressively got worse over the last 18 months, withdrawn, moody, insomnia, short with family, lack of concentration, anxiety and suicidal thoughts and plans. Had major panic attack ended up in hospital the symptoms similar to heart attack, even had a angiogram. Started cocktail of meds and ended with 10mg of Lexapro and now on 20mg. It has really settled me however still struggle to complete tasks and off work. Counselling also assisting. I have a review this week but diarrhea, insomnia slight nausea have continued. If can fix the diarrhea be very happy. I take meds in the am”

Suz June 3, 2020

“I will update in a few weeks with my full experience with starting Lexapro. Let me tell you, I was TERRIFIED to start this medication due to bad reviews. I am terrified of feeling ill and ESPECIALLY vomiting. I finally told myself this morning I can no longer live in fear of my own life, constantly anxious, and told myself to just take the medicine. I was prescribed 10 mg, but personally medications do cause significant side effects for me (I am 5’4 and 100 pounds soaking wet) so I broke it down to 2.5 mg to start. I have experienced NO terrible side effects, it’s been roughly eight hours. I have had some “burning” sensation in my stomach, but I also have terrible stomach issues as is. I have been tired as well, but depression does that to a person.. PLEASE TAKE THIS MEDICATION. IT MAY HELP YOU. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. You. Can. Do. This.. *I will update in a few weeks with results as of then*”

Max March 9, 2020

“Hi there! Just a disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor, nor do I specialize in anything beyond my own experience. This is my own perspective that I want to share for those who were just like me. I take 2.5 mg of Lexapro. The first aspect I'd like to clarify, is that taking a pill is not magic. I work out 2-3 times a week, I eat healthy and I make a conscious effort to do skills my therapist teaches me like grounding, CBT, and balance. My anxiety is still there. However, the crippling act of having anxiety that would physically make me drop to my knees and ruminate in my brain for days in a row, has subsided. Side effects of weird dreams, icy-hot feeling and anxiousness did happen in the first week. This may not work for everyone, as everyone is different. I have read those same crazy reviews that scare you. I have circled on the act of why and when and how and what if. I still have fears. I still get anxious. However, the place I was at I wish for no one in the world to have to go through.”

Mads · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

“First antidepressant I ever took. Ruined my libido, caused suicidal thoughts. I had to go to the hospital because I wanted to commit suicide. I had nightmares every night about a trauma I experienced when I was 16. Horrible, and I always tell people to stop taking after they notice bad symptoms- I wish I did.”

ZenBen · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

“After suffering for several years due to Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder and some OCD I decided to try an SSRI. First, I tried another older drug (Amitriptyline), which helped a lot, but the side-effects were too intense, so my doctor switched me to Lexapro. I did not have severe side-effects when I switched, but there were several that were annoying: Eyes don't adjust to light as well (reading in a dark room is harder and looking at fluorescent light is a bit painful), lower libido, weight-gain, drowsy for a few hours after taking the pill. After using this drug for about 5 months, light sensitivity has improved (but not gone away) and I don't get drowsy anymore. But, I still have somewhat lower libido and I put on about 10kg (23 lb) in that time. My dose is 10mg every morning.”

Thankful February 11, 2020

“2019 Took toll on my life in every aspect. I am 45 years old & my career crashed, my husband left me & I am battling legal issues. My husband locked me out of utility accounts til’ shut off notices arrived. I could not think straight at all. My stress & worries took over me. I began deep depression and the worries would overwhelm me to a point I wanted to sleep, but I had insomnia. My mind would race, I closed myself off to the world and prayed heavily. I could no longer have normal conversations. I pushed everyone away. I finally called my Dr, realizing it was more than I could handle. I’ve only been on it one week & can truly say “LEXAPRO SAVED MY LIFE”. I do not feel different at all. I feel “Normal”. I can think. I can decipher between tasks of importance and have been more productive than I have in a year. I sleep better. I go to bed with a clearer picture & less worry. The stress & reality is all still there, but each day I am managing and making progress now!”

anonymous January 28, 2020

“I just wanted to share my experience with people who are just starting out on Lexapro. This is my 20th day on Lexapro and I must say that the first two weeks are pretty rough. The first week it made my anxiety to the point I've never felt before with nausea, fatigue, headache with a fog. Had insomnia was well. The second week the anxiety started to subside and nausea was gone but started to get hunger pains so drank a lot of water instead of grabbing food every time I got the hunger pain. I also got some days with dizziness in week two and fog and headache with fatigue during the mornings (I take it first thing in morning) and would subside by afternoon. Insomnia started to get better. By the start of week number three all the side effects started to diminish little each and every day. At this point pretty much all side effects are gone and no anxiety. It took about 3 weeks for me and now its great. 10mg day.”

Taylor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2020

“I was on paxil for 5 years before switching to lexapro due to unwanted to side-effects (loss of sex drive, anhedonia, night sweats and hand tremors). Lexapro has proven to be just as effective as the paxil in controlling my anxiety/panic-disorder, with nearly none of the side-effects that paxil caused!”

pablo2000 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“After suffering with OCD since childhood (I'm now 36) and have been through various long lasting periods of depression and bouts of extreme OCD. I gave up on the few times I'd tried other therapies. I finally just asked my Dr if I could try anti depressants. She offered 5mg of Lexapro for 2 weeks and in view to up dosage afterwards if I felt ok. 5mg seemed to not have any side effects, but the difference in my anxiety was not greatly improved. So I upped to 10mg in the morning. A month in and I can honestly say I have been better than I have been in ages. Really amazed at the results. Don't expect euphoria, as its not a happy pill unless you have an imbalance. But I feel like I must have, as I really feel a whole lot better, and still feel like the same person. Just without all the stupid worries. Highly recommend for anxiety and OCD. I wish I took it 20 years ago.”

London lady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

“Been on 10 mg Lexaprofor 8 months and overall it’s been an excellent medication. The first two weeks were tough - I don’t think one is warned sufficiently by the medics that you’re likely going to feel worse than before you started - but gradually I started to see the benefits kick in. No longer sweating the small stuff or waking up with a feeling of dread. The only thing that stops me giving this full marks is the reduction in libido and the feeling of slightly ‘can’t be bothered’ but the upside of no longer having nightmares or being filled with dread every morning is hugely appreciated.”

Coppernob · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

“So after 9 months of bullying/harassment at work from 3 different bosses, I was at breaking point. I was even having massive anxiety attacks at people taking too long in the self checkout at the supermarket. So went to the GP who prescribed Zoloft 50mg, tried for a week horrendous, threw them in the bin. Went to another GP who prescribed Lexapro 10mg, along with Zopiclone 7.5mg for sleep. As he said Lexapro will take a week or 2 to acclimatise. Started Sunday morning-felt weird after a few hours-dizzy-peripheral hallucinations-slept like a log. Monday morning-same deal, almost whited out at the supermarket-slept good. Tuesday morning-feel good, little dizzy, energetic in the arvo. But the dizziness has gone. Had kind of a dry mouth all 3 days, but just kept the liquids up. Lexapro seems heaps more tolerable than Zoloft, not even a hint of anxiety the last 2 days. Hope this keeps up, good luck to everyone on the same journey X”

Madi · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 27, 2019

“This medicine has been life altering. I have been taking it for over 3 years and cannot imagine where I would be without it. I experience no negative side effects with this medication and am able to conduct a normal life. I used to stay up for hours before bed with my mind racing and vomit from social apprehension. I have only had 2-3 anxiety attacks since I began the medication and while I still experience anxiety and nerves it is a healthy amount. I am so happy to have found a drug that allows me to conduct a normal life and still feel like myself!”

FW u December 10, 2019

“After years of anxiety I finally went to the doctor in 2016 and started lexapro at 10mg..after 2 years I moved up to 20mg along with therapy which almost seemed to take away anxiety completely. After 3 years I stopped taking lexapro, because I felt so good. The first month off this medication I felt AMAZING. Then it all went down hill after month 2...My anxiety skyrocketed & I began feeling depressed. Then I tried Zoloft, which made it even worse. It gave me the shakes, caused daily panic attacks & suicidal ideations for the first time in my life (which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy). Also I lost much of the weight lexapro caused. Fast forward..I am back on 20mg of Lexapro. I feel human again. I feel stable but I am gaining weight back (which sucks) and I feel fatigued again. BUT I feel like I can function normally. Even with the effects, lexapro is worth it for me. If you’re reading this, please don’t give up! Things can get better :) Its a trial and error.”

MA · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

“Ok so I don’t ever do reviews. Like ever. But this medication has changed my life. I’ve been on it about 5 months now and I’m honestly amazed. I’ve suffered from extremely bad depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I’m also a recovering alcoholic/addict with 8 months sober. I went from being literally at rock bottom to all of a sudden living life again. For the first time in years, my body didn’t ache all day long, my anxiety went away, and I started to like sing in the car and get excited about nice sunny days! It’s crazy. I’m just super thankful. I take 10mg along with Wellbutrin and adderall. But Lexapro has been the game changer. Let your body go through a little nightmare for the first couple weeks. I promise you will all of a sudden hit a hump that you get over and it’s so nice. Don’t get me wrong, I still have my moments and struggles I’m life but I can deal with them now instead of breaking down. And I like people again. Give it a try.”

Mia · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2019

“I started off at 113lbs and my diet and exercise have always been constant but after 4 months on lexapro I weighed 155lbs. Had to switch medicines because I gained so much weight so fast. Works alright but I’m constantly sweating and fat now.”

Aw · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

“I promised myself if i made it out alive I’d come back and give my review, I’ve been on the meds a little over 2 months and the outcome has been very well for me! First couple of weeks are ruff but stick it out it’ll be well worth it!”

cbal14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“This medication Lexapro was a horrible experience for me. I had auditory hallucinations and extreme paranoia. Not a fun time. Doctors kept saying they’d never heard of those side effects. So, to anyone experiencing anything like that, you’re not alone.”

Spirit November 6, 2019

“I suddenly couldn't eat any food, and cut out everything from my diet. The pain and heartburn went away and I could breath after eating again, but it resulted in me having such a limited diet that I was only eating chips with fake cheese for all meals. I was also terrified of driving and dying from an allergic reaction. We discovered that I was only allergic to dairy, but after six months of not having gluten soy fish or any meats, I was absolutely terrified of everything. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro. My panic attacks instantly stopped, but after two weeks was when it really kicked in. Suddenly I could drive without having panic attacks, and could eat meat and fish. Now I've just eaten gluten and soy after a month on lexapro, and despite having nightmares and panic attacks at the mere thought of accidentally consuming even a crumb of gluten, I feel zero anxiety whatsoever and am perfectly fine. Lexapro gave me my life back from my phobia of food.”

Pam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2019

“I have been medications for anxiety since 18. I am now 64. Effexor was the best, but severe side effects when I had to stop taking it, weaned off over 6 weeks, thought I was going crazy. Had to stop taking it because of no insurance. Too expensive. But now I started taking Lexapro since January this year (now 8 months, and I got to say it has helped me so much with my anxiety. Affordable, only side effect is my vision is more blurred. No weight gain, no insomnia, no feeling weird. It has allowed me to deal with the issues that cause my anxiety (my job) while not feeling the physical symptoms of the anxiety. I hope this continues to work for a very long time. It took a couple of weeks to level off in my system.”

tbrx8369 October 29, 2019

“I have struggled with anxiety for my whole life but in the past 5 years it has gotten uncontrollable & I was crying every single day. I didn’t feel like me & felt so lost. I am 22 & in nursing school so there is a lot of pressure but this has been something I’ve wanted & knew I could achieve, but couldn’t do it with my anxiety. I was VERY skeptical about taking anything & have tried every alternative I could think of but I just couldn’t quite get there. I have been taking Lexapro 10 mg for over a month now & it has made my life 100x better. I haven’t cried once or felt extremely overwhelmed the entire time. The only side effects I experienced were sweating, dry mouth, & a slight headache. These have all subsided after the first week. This drug has made me feel like me again & I didn’t know if I would get here but I’m so glad I am. Don’t let the reviews scare you into not trying a medicine, it can help you if you let it. Give it time & push through. It’s so worth it.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

“I hope this helps people who feel scared. A few months ago my anxiety got very bad, I couldn't enjoy life: worrying about travelling, weeks of insomnia, physical symptoms before starting the pills: nausea, irritability, sugar cravings, twitching, high sensitivity to sounds or sudden moves. I read the reviews here - terrifying. I started five weeks ago. 5mg - felt a bit sick. Scared for the first two days, a bit agitated - nothing serious. The pills can't hurt you. Most people tolerate them pretty well. The first days I felt extremely tired, but it didn't last. Things started looking up after a week. I increased to 10mg - after 3 weeks that made a difference - 90% better. CBT also helped a lot. I'm responding to anxiety very differently now. Meds are working. I watch my favorite shows again, read, travel, walk. Amazing - happy. I'm back to my old self - fun and engaging. ”

Wow · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

“Lexapro has literally changed my life from the first 24 hours I started taking it. For the first time in my life, I understand what it’s like to have a quiet/calm mind, rather than coming from a place of anxiety. I’ve suffered from anxiety/depression/ptsd for years and just thought it was a normal way of living. Turns out, all I needed was Lexapro and all my other medical problems have drastically reduced! My IBS is completely gone, and I’m back to living a normal life! I seriously can’t express how grateful I am for this medication.”

Gymlover · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2019

“I have GAD and borderline personality disorder and my doctor suggested this medication. I developed a tic in my neck and became unable to control my facial and neck movements. I had a presentation and my face jolted to the side and I knew I had to stop the medication. It helped with my Intrusive thoughts and depression though so I’m sad I have to stop. Be aware if you develop a tic!”

Bs1 · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2019

“Horrible drug in my experience. I started this Lexapro for GAD. Dr started me on 10mg, I took it for 2 weeks and had shivers, sweating, no sex drive, insomnia, dry mouth, headaches, blurry vision, night terrors, dysphoria 12 hour panic attacks & suicidal thoughts. Returned to the doctor and they said because it had only been 2 weeks at 10mg I could stop cold turkey and should be okay because the drug needs longer than that to really build up in the system. I’m on day 2 without taking it and although I don’t feel great yet I do feel much better. I can live with my anxiety but I absolutely cannot live with those side effects! I urge anyone thinking of starting this drug to think long and hard about it before starting!!”

Walky · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 16, 2019

“O boy!!! For past 8 years the doctor just kept prescribing lexapro to me. Not bad enough, now he switched it to zoloft(sertraline). Hello??? I ask for xanax only for me to take it in case of a panic attack. So, instead he wants me to start zoloft. No way I am gonna even start it!!! So now I am left with nothing with all the withdrawal symptoms on my own??? I feel like throwing up constantly, electric shocks all through my body. If the doctors to go through those withdrawal symptoms at least they will understand that they shouldn't be prescribing antidepressants to left and right!!!”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)