User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I’m on lexapro day 1. Moved out of home 6 months ago and now all the hype has gone I’m struggling with day to day activities and hardly eating. My bf cheated on me and I’ve kept him over it so that creates big anxiety issues for me too. Today is day one I tried pristique yesterday and it was an absolute no go as I got heaps of numbing and tingling. Today my face is a little numb and my arm tingles so slightly but I have eaten which is a big thing after no meals for two weeks. I feel a little groggy tired but can’t sleep so just having lay downs. Will keep all updated."

Minds (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

"Currently writing this from the psych ward. Lexapro 15mg drove me to this place...long forgotten rumination and OCD returned within a week on this drug, severe derealization/depersonalisation, nightmares, intrusive thoughts etc. Even with high doses of seroquel I was still in a horrible place. Gave it 6 weeks and ended up in hospital. Will never touch it again."

roobyskska (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"Lexapro saved my life and marriage. My anxiety was so bad I feared going to the grocery store, driving, talking on the phone, talking to neighbors. I was scared that nobody liked me, I was moody, I thought I was a bad person and parent and destined for failure. I drank every night and cried all the time bc of family issues. I was mean and irritable to my husband. One day, I decided enough is enough. My doc put me on Lexapro and I’m not looking back! Ever! I am confident, happy, focused and insightful. I’m able to be HERE and NOW instead of an anxious prison in my mind. I still have major problems in my family, but I can deal with them with a clear mind. The first days on it I felt weird, headache, anxious, dry mouth, diarrhea, shaky hands. Now 3 weeks later- I’m good. My hands shake more than they did before and it gives me dry mouth, but it’s worth it. I’m back!!!!"

Happyfeet (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

"I live in MN and get anxious in the winters so I go on 10mg every October and it helps. Without it I get thoughts stuck in my head like assuming I said something stupid and then obsessing over it. Or trying to mind read people and always assuming the worst. This med helps shut it off and I am very comfortable being myself when I'm on it. However, I don't like being on it because it also shuts off other thoughts; like being able to actively listen to people or sharing my thoughts on a subject. I will have a hard time coming up with words and stop mid-sentence. My libido was fine and it actually helped me last longer in bed. Eventually it stops working around the spring anyways and I don't want to up the dosage or I'd be a complete moron. I tried coupling it with adderall or Wellbutrin but those caused too much anxiety and I couldn't sleep on adderall. I'm going to try something new this summer, maybe Remeron. But it really, really helps with the anxiety."

J Man March 8, 2018

"Hi all, coming up to week 6 on Lexapro 15mg. First few weeks were absolute hard work. Since starting I’ve been experiencing shakes, twitches, brain fog and derealisation/depersonalisation which has been really awful. I am also currently on seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg in the mornings and evenings. I have had a few glimmers of hope but am still unable to leave the house, speak on the phone etc. I have noticed my ability to cry sober coming back which may seem bad, but is actually a really good thing for tension relief. My psych wanted me to up the dose to 20mg Lexapro but I couldn’t handle it...I know it can take awhile to begin to take effect but seeing everyone improving so much in so few weeks makes me feel worried! Does anyone have any experiences with it working later than expected?"

Rubydoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

"I am 46 years old. For many years I've been depressed and had anxiety attacks. I was not aware of what I was going through, I've lost friend and stopped speaking to family members. I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks and everyone is complimenting me. They say I look happy, I am glowing, I feel so alive!! I never thought I would feel this way and I am so happy. I take 10mg before bed. I get a good night sleep if I can sneak a nap during the day. I do. But I highly recommend this medication"

Worry freak (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"I wish I hadn't waited so long to take Lexapro. I feel lighter and my anxiety has disappeared. I feel normal again. The side effects have gone, that took about a month. I don't get overwrought anymore and can deal with things again."

puremule123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

"I suddenly developed severe GAD and agoraphobia in Sept 2017. I could barely walk down the stairs in my house. Nov 2017 I started out on 5 mg of Escitalopram. The first two weeks were rough but it was working. Built up to 15 mg I have been on it for 9 weeks now and feel good. Some yawning everyday but it is worth it. I highly recommend it. Please stick with the medicine for at least a month. It takes time to work. Only read POSITIVE reviews on Lexapro. I got thru it reading the positive reviews on here Motivate yourself to do daily functions! This medicine is not a total cure. You have to motivate yourself daily to do stuff. Start out small. In order to get over anxiety you have to put yourself thru it. Also definitely recommend CBT."

KatB06 January 23, 2018

"I took this for GAD and it didn't do anything for me. For OCD and depression, did a little better but needed more from it. Switched off of it and won't be coming back."

Copper360 January 16, 2018

"Lexapro has truly changed my life. Prior to taking it, the level of panic I was experiencing felt like I had just tripped on the sidewalk, and my face was headed straight for the pavement. Instead of the terror lasting for a split second though, the terror lasted days on end. I was having suicidal thoughts. Lexapro takes a while to kick in, but once it does, it was like night and day for me. For anyone struggling with anxiety reading this right now, just know better days are ahead of you, and there are solutions out there like Lexapro."

AnxietyAdvocate December 28, 2017

"This medicine truly changed my life. I was afraid to go outside, FaceTime family, and even talk on the phone. A few weeks after starting this medication I began to feel like myself again and I didn't even know I wasn't myself until I was able to do things like a normal human being again. I had previously tried Propranolol to make it so my heart rate wouldn't get super high but that wasn't solving the root of the problem. I am very thankful for Lexapro and I highly recommend it if you are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder like I was. I haven't had any side effects either :)"

joshmcorreia (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

"I've had anxiety as long as I can remember. Symptoms like insomnia, eating issues, tons of intense fear around bizarre and unlikely life-threatening situations happening to me. I've also struggled with uncontrollable panic attacks during stressful times. I'm now a junior in college, and after a spell of depression (caused by panic attacks and constant anxiety), I decided to try medication (though, of course, taking meds made me anxious. Ha). I've now been on Lexapro for about 7 weeks, and I am very happy I chose to try it. I'm on 10mg, and the first week was miserable. Like everyone says, stick it out. Now, my outlook is much more positive, and I am way less anxious. Give it a shot! I'm thankful I did."

sophrick December 9, 2017

"I'm a 35-year-old woman and was on Lexapro 10mg from ages 21-30 and have been on 5mg for about 5 weeks now (staying at this dose) - both times for GAD without Depression and a touch of OCD. For the most part, I managed fairly well while off it (exercise, limited alcohol, CBT therapy) but had periods where my anxiety would flare up. My advice would be to try it. I was very anxious about idea of going back on medication (i.e. Googling all the horrible side effects) but I'm feeling significantly calmer, less anxious, and happier. I didn't think I needed medication...until I went back on medication (give it a few weeks) and felt the difference. I had convinced myself I was "OK" but really, I was "white knuckling" through my anxiety."

EOM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

"Lexapro is an absolutely fantastic medication for anxiety. I went on it from 2014-2015 and had life-changing results, but I ended up going off because I gained 10-15 lbs. I ended up switching to Prozac, which is good for anxiety too but it is not the same. Lexapro brought me somewhat of a euphoria. I felt liberated. It feels more "pure" than Prozac. Fast forward to 2017, I have decided to try Lexapro again."

Beyonce (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

"Lexapro 10mg helped me SO much. In June of 2016, my dad passed away unexpectedly. I'm 24 and a female. My life was turned upside down and I could not deal. I was a "normal" person w/o anxiety before this now I was experiencing chronic anxiety-panic attacks, mind racing, feelings of derealization, etc..It was chronic. I couldn't go to work and could barely even leave the house without having crippling anxiety. I tapered up from 5mg to 10mg over a few months and it literally saved me. I still had a few symptoms but nothing any different than just every day mild anxiety. It felt liberating. Lexapro 10mg saved my life."

jpaul33333 November 16, 2017

"I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now and it completely and utterly changed my life. I had very serious anxiety which caused my relationships problems, problems in my job and all over my life, I was erratic and an emotional rollercoaster, after 2 weeks on Lexapro I felt stable and always the happiest person in the room, my brain needs this to function correctly without a doubt. I look back and cant believe I was the person I once was."

toz October 19, 2017

"This medication has literally given me my life back! I struggle with depression and anxiety and for those out there reading this and looking to find someone you can relate to. Let me tell you, you aren’t alone. I started this drug about 6 months ago and when I first started, I, like you, came to this site looking for reviews to help me get through it. Like other people on this board have mentioned it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I had to take it in conjuncture to Clonepan because it made my anxiety a lot worse at first and I was super paranoid about it and having panic attacks. Just breath. You will make it through and the other side is life as it should be! Stick with it it’s worth it !!"

Dontsweatthesmallstuff October 12, 2017

"Hi! I just wanted to share my experience for those who are out there scared to death to take something that may help them, something your brain may need. Long story short, I was diagnosed with GAD/Panic seven years ago at the age of 19 when my brother was diagnosed with a severe psychiatric mental illness - one that changed his life as well as my families. I began having full blown nocturnal panic attacks, depersonalization, along with extreme anxiety/panic. I tried CBT, changing my diet, doing meditation/yoga, journaling, deep breathing, etc. Nothing worked & nothing helped me overcome this except Lexapro. I am currently a RN and believe my brain needs this medication. Please don't be scared or ashamed if you need to take something to help."

Youarestrongerthanyouknow (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2017

"I took this for years and it greatly helped my GAD. I led a normal happy life on 20 mg. Never any real side effects until this year when my white blood cell count dropped very low and it was determined that the Lexapro caused it. I was taken off the medication and within 6 weeks developed horrible anxiety and depression. I’ve tried several new medications since and can’t get relief. It’s been 5 months of hell. I miss my Lexapro. I’m tempted to go back on it and take my chances, as so far nothing else is working and my life totally sucks! This medication was wonderful for me for 17yrs. It totally stopped my previously horrible GAD."

JJ120 (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2017

"Oh my goodness I took lexapro 10 mg ONCE 3 nights ago I woke up feeling crazy, heart racing and my veins were on fire it was like my body went into a total shock. It has been over 48 hours and I'm still waiting for the effects to go away the depression is not so bad I feel better and have more energy to actually do Day to Day things. But the pain in my veins still pops up and the heart palpitations won't stop. I don't want to tell anyone not to take medicine when they need it but I am a natural remedy lover. I went to the beach yesterday I relaxed all day I ate three meals I drank lots of water and have been trying to sweat the pill out. This pill made me feel like I could deal with the panic better than actual medicine. Scariest experience ever."

Maris_89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

"Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for."

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

"I was on 20mg of Celexa for 4 years for euphoric disorder. About 1 week before my period I would feel creepy cawling tingles up my spine and into my brain. I would have white hot temper outbursts. I was also abusing alcohol. Geez, great times. Now I haven't drank in 7 years. Celexa at that time was a God send. Never felt better. Than 3 weeks ago the medicine stopped working and I had to go to the ER twice in 1 weekend. The anxiety, vomitting, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats were unmanageable. Finally my friend who is a Internist suggest Lexapro 10mg. I agreed and took it just like Celexa, before bed. I woke a new woman. All side effects gone, and normal feelings of happiness are in my heart. First day, so things may change, but I'm better."

Better321 September 17, 2017

"Before you read everyone's comments, understand that mental illness is not all the same and isn't fully understood. (With your doctor) you have to experiment which out works best for you. All medications take a few months to work for their full potential. Take them exactly how your doctor recommends them and take them exactly on time. I know it's hard but be patient, you'll get their and it'll change your life. I've been taking Lexapro ( escitalopram ) for a few years now. Before taking it, I tried everything in the book. I went from sweaty palms, forgetful thoughts, sweaty armpits, loss of sleep, overwhelmed with anxiety, stomach issues...etc to feeling sharp, happy and not depressed. I take it exactly within 24 hours everyday."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 10, 2017

"This is the second time trying Cipralex. The first time for 6 months on 10mg. I struggled at that time with severe anxiety attacks that seemed to come out of nowhere, but found later on that it was caused by depression. Because I am very sensitive to medications and nausea, I fought to not take meds for fear it might get worse. The Cipralex and practicing CBT made me feel fearless. I could travel, drive, and function again. This is my second time being on it due to a new job and moving to a new province. I needed some extra support. I also eat well and exercise. I take 5mg because my anxiety/lifestyle is more managed over the years with exercise and meditation. On 5mg I actually feel so great! Increased appetite, relaxed, happy."

Calis (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

"Anxiety has been crazy since moving cities and hard finding work. I can't calm down. Started lexapro or the generic brand at 10mg a day. Had orgasm problems first like 4-5 days hard to urinate. Mild head ache. And vivid dreams. But I stuck it out after two weeks side effect mostly went away and doctor instructed to up it to 20mg a day and now I honestly feel no extra side effects most have all gone away already by week 3. I feel a little better about being able to control my anxiety and intrusive thoughts. But still feel kinda depressed and anti social. I'm gonna keep trying tho. Its helped the anxiety already so I think it'll take longer for everything to settle in. I take it at night cause it makes it sleepy. Wake up fine the next day."

Thisguy0000 August 31, 2017