User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro

"Lexapro is a lifesaver! I’ve always been an anxious person but didn’t see anxiety as a problem. Then at 39, after a minor health scare, I became crippled by anxiety. I lost weight, couldn’t eat, and could hardly mother my children. After a couple ER visits and many tests I had a clean bill of health and started lexapro. In just a couple weeks I was feeling great! I realized I actually had lots of anxiety prior to my health scare but thought it was normal. I’d wake up every morning hot, nauseated, lightheaded, and a racing heart. Sometimes I had to force myself out of bed because of a sense of dread I had no explanation for. I’m so happy I don’t have to live like that now. My only complaint is that it takes some extra effort to orgasm; that’s a small price to pay to enjoy life. If you’re scared like I was start at 2.5mg, if that feels okay up it 2.5mg each time. I’m so happy to have my life back. Don’t give up and don’t wait to treat yourself. Why suffer?"

Square May 16, 2019

"I have GAD with intermittent bouts of depression and always struggle to manage daily stressors because of the excessive rumination. I’ve been on and off lexapro for 15 years. I’ve always known it helps but most recently I was able to fully realize the significance of its effect. I was on 5 mg steadily for the last 2 years, but too much stress triggered me and the rumination, tightening/swirling in chest started again. It was honestly agonizing. My doctor upped me to Lexapro 10mg and all my symptoms of rumination, tightening/swirling in chest dulled or were fully gone in 2 days. I really love this drug!"

K (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2019

"The main reason I went on this drug is because both my parents were dying at the same time and I could barely function. The lexapro took the edge off immediately. A life saver at that time. I could cope and digest what was going on with dealing with two deaths and funerals. I am not sure how long I will stay on it. It has mellowed me out almost too much at times but I am so much calmer with my teenage boys, husband and at work! Things just don’t bother me like before. My son who has ASD and is also taking lexapro and we have seen a huge difference in his social anxiety. He wakes up easier and we can get him out the door for school with out the grief we had before. We both take 10 mg. I know this drug isn’t for everyone because our body chemistry is different but for my sister, son and I it has really helped. I also believe in going to therapy and regular doctor visits for med checks. We precious humans need to take care of our mental health as we are with it."

Tina May 6, 2019

"Do not take it I had terrible anxiety and could not eat due to my anxiety and depression, I started taking Lexapro and thought I would give it a few days. However I'm 5 feet tall and only weighed 90 pounds, when I started on Lexapro, I was vomiting EVERY MORNING AND EVENING FOR 2 WEEKS. I lost 10 pounds again, quickly. My mind started thinking there was physically something wrong with my health and went for HIV tests because I've getting headaches and vomiting every day. Luckily I was negative. I realized it was LEXAPRO THAT MADE ME PHYSICALLY ILL. Not only that but I became suicidal as well. LEXAPRO SHOULD BE BANNED! WORST DRUG EVER IF NOT ALL THE SSRI's out there. Try and take a SNRI instead. I'm on Remeron now and it has little side effects. "

Mchellie (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

"I've been taking lexapro 5mg for 3 months. I was an emotional wreck before starting, I failed my first year of university, and was doing a lot of drugs and alcohol to cope. First 2 days on lexapro I had diarrhea and 1 explosive aggressive outburst at a coworker, I had really dry lips and mouth first two weeks. My life has been gradually improving since then, my memory and mathematics is sharper and clearer. I am more organised and have better sleep. The ruminating has decreased and I quit the drugs and alcohol two months ago. Negative side effects I feel very fatigued and drowsy but meditating and yoga helps. I also get jaw clenches. Lexapro has not affected my sex drive like I've read in other peoples posts I also gained 3kg."

Lexafan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2019

"Changed my life for the better. I highly recommend it. Give it a shot!"

Jj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2019

"I've suffered with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder for 28 years. I was terrified of taking medicine for fear of feeling out of control of myself. The first week of starting lexapro was very difficult for me. My anxiety seemed to worsen a bit during the first week but on day 10 my life began to change forever, I began to feel normal and get back my old self. I've been on 20 mg for 7 months and it has changed my life. I can do things that were difficult for me without worrying excessively and don't feel that panic feeling anymore. I'm very happy and my family is too. I don't feel the limitations that my anxiety had imposed on me most of my life. I feel free to live again. I highly recommend trying this even if you're scared to death like I was. Now I just feel normal."

Jdow70 April 14, 2019

"My issues: OCD, ADHD, depression, anxiety and panic attacks, annoyed, unhappy, extremely high sex drive, negative. Lexapro helped my anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and lower my sex drive for a week, than came back up not so high but to normal. Although I been waking up slightly early it makes me attack any task that may be bothering me. Time line and reason for taking. Parents lost their home 2008. Parents divorced 2009. Almost lost my marriage 2018. Also 2018 had to start a new job, turns out boss was extremely abusive, later on would try to make up by buying us lunch. My emotions fluctuated"

Dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

"For the past year or so, my anxiety has been at an all time high. I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't eat a full meal. I felt lost and hopeless. A few weeks into my new job, I went to a new physician's assistant. She prescribed 10 mg of Lexapro daily for anxiety, and 50 mg of hydroxyzine as needed for anxiety and insomnia. She also suggested I look into therapy. The two days of Lexapro was a nightmare. I was foggy, dizzy, nauseous, and not able to stay awake for more than a few hours. I went onto this website and read testimonials that inspired me to keep going. Now that I am 4 weeks in, I am so happy I decided to stay on Lexapro. I am able to tackle stressors more effectively. I feel more content and happy in my everyday interactions, and am leaning more into my support system of close friends and family. My appetite is normal and food actually tastes good again. I am looking into counselling/therapy options. I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time."

funsize April 3, 2019

"I’ve only been on Lexapro for a week and I’m already feeling better! I don’t feel like my life is controlled by unrealistic fears and worries anymore. I’m still having some anxiety and anxiousness but not nearly as bad as before the Lexapro, I’m sure as I continue taking this medication as I’m supposed to that my life will continue to improve. My relationship with my significant other has already started to improve as well. Some minor side affects but nothing to worry about! They will subside in another week or two."

Momwithgad (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

"lexapro absolutely saved my life. after years and years of living in my own head, I am finally able to find happiness and fulfilment in my daily life. Lexaprol is a miracle worker!"

partiallysunny March 17, 2019

"So I've been taking lexapro for a week and I know I have to wait for a t least six weeks before the general effect really shows (which is fine) but I am very confused. I've been warned countless times that it will cause insomnia, but I've actually been sleeping TOO much on it? 10mg once a day in the morning and I am knocked out at 4:30 in the afternoon (which isn't ideal with a 3 year old and a husband recovering from surgery) and seem to have some sleep paralysis (no nightmares, I just cannot seem to move when woken up for dinner, but I can hear and see) which worries me if there is an emergency, I wont be able to respond. Apart from this, side effects are A LOT better than other anti depressants I've been on in the past and I am feeling good otherwise. It's too soon to expect this to be working, but I honestly haven't had any panic attacks or depressive thoughts since I started! Just some slight nausea the first couple of days and very foggy headed (like being drunk) but cheery! Lol."

Ashie (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"I started suffering serious depression and anxiety a few years ago while trying to reintegrate myself into society, the work force and social circles following 12 years in prison. My doctor's tried me on multiple other SSRI meds to no avail. About 7 weeks ago I was started on Lexapro and after a few weeks of patience and perseverance through the fits of sweating, tiredness and sleepiness I feel like I am much much better. I have been able to let go of my prison mentality and actually feel like I do have a place in society. I am working, making new healthy friends and rebuilding family ties. I now understand that my drug use was tied in with my depression and anxiety more so than I ever thought. There is no doubt that you must be patient with Lexapro and may have to get through a couple weeks of uncomfortable side effects HOWEVER, Lexapro is far superior in my experience with treating serious anxiety and depression."

BW March 14, 2019

"Had major depression and anxiety for last few years started lexapro 5mg and went up to 10 mg in a week . Initially had nausea, profuse sweating, daytime sleepiness, twitching frequent urination and anxiety was out of control. First time noticed a change was two weeks felt 40% better. Then the side effects got the better of me I wanted to stop taking lexapro . My psychiatrist asked me to preserve . Now 10 weeks later the grey veil has lifted from eyes and feeling like life is worth living. I’m back to my old self again, I can drive, I can leave the house, I’m motivated and enjoying life again. I’m so happy with lexapro it’s been a life changer and I’m always so happy . Perserve it’s worth the effort ."

Marge60 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2019

"I got prescribed Lexapro for GAD (just been diagnosed). If it would be possible, I'd give this drug a negative rating. It made my anxiety and insomnia 10x worse. I started from a tiny dose - 5mg and I became overly stimulated and happy at first - it almost felt like cocaine and then I was unable to sleep and got extremely anxious to the point of experiencing mild psychosis. I knew those side effects might last for a while so I continued for almost two weeks, hoping it will get better but it made me completely wrecked - I couldn't sleep for longer than 4 hours, I started having severe panic attacks, I was hardly able to work. Now I take only 50mg trazodone for sleep and I take large doses of inositol (flat tablespoon) if I experience panic attacks and it works. Maybe this drug works for some people but for me it was the worst 2 weeks of my life."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

"Without Lexapro, I am not able to sleep or tolerate interactions with people. With just 10mg of lexapro, I am able to have good sleep and quality relationships with my family and friends. Isn’t that the goal?"

Mk (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2019

"Thought I'd share in hopes of helping others. My son was in an accident. He is ok but suffered many broken bones and was hospitalized for 2 wks. The stress during that time left me anxious/depressed. Doc put me on Zoloft. I was having physical symptoms too and was diag. with colitis/gastritis. I had EVERY side effect- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, brain fog, dizziness, loss of appetite, stomach pains, insomnia, disconnected. I attributed it to my stomach. I lost 20 lbs. Finally, when I noticed my heart beating hard, I called my doc. She put me on Lexapro. I began on 10 mg. The brain fog and dizziness went away. I still felt nauseous, but it wasn't as bad. My heart calmed, too (I did wake up once in a panic with my heart racing). I decided to stick it out a week. I am on day 11 now. I don't feel 100%, but better. I still have stomach issues- I'm sure partly it's gastritis. I don't feel as disconnected. I feel groggy in the am. I have been taking it at bed, but I might try it at dinner."

New to Lex February 27, 2019

"My new Dr. asked me to switch from Paxil to Lexapro since I have gained weight over the course of taking paxil. I have to say paxil was working perfect for me at 20mg. I was really nervous he asked me to switch. Worst thing I have ever done in regards to medicine....I have been weak, have stomach pain, diarrhea, dizzy and just not feeling normal. I am definitely going back to paxil."

Nat (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2019

"Have been on 3 days and have more energy and enthusiasm; things look "brighter." I'm sensitive to SSRI's, so started on 1.25 for two nights and then 2.5 last night. Think I' m feeling it already 'cos I took Prozac for years. I stopped it and lost 40 lbs. Dr. said this had fewer side effects, but he doesn't really have my trust, as he seems to think all my problems would be over if I'd ignore my agorabphobia and anxiety and go volunteer in a hospital, haha. Riiiiight. If this goes through, I'll post again after a week or two to say how I'm doing. (PS-To avoid horrible side effects, get liquid SSRI and take a dropper at a time, building slowly. Worked for me, on Prozac, long ago. Otherwise, kept quitting due to side effects.)"

NewToLex (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

"This is week 3 on lexapro & I truly am amazed and so glad I gave it a shot. For the past 2 years I’ve been struggling with non stop cycles of anxiety, from my health to my relationship, racing and intrusive thoughts with a bit of an obsessive tendency added. I eventually got to my breaking point and decided that it was time to do something. Therapy just wasn't doing enough for me and I didn’t want it to take over my life. I have to admit the first 2 weeks were rough, I didn’t have any major side effects but I was very very anxious and panicky I was so convinced this medicine wouldn’t work for me, I read just about every review on this site. I’m now on week 3 and just about 90% of my anxiety is gone just like that and it’s truly crazy that a pill can make this all better. I’ve never felt so positive and confident in myself in a very very long time. This pill works & if it doesn’t there’s always another option. But stick with it and give it time- at least for a month!!"

s22 February 12, 2019

"I was prescribed Lexapro for GAD a few months ago and I'm so scared to take it because of all the bad reviews I have read on it. I also have high blood pressure and asthma, CAD, my anxiety and panic attacks are really bad. I have been also having bouts of depression. I was just wondering should I really be that worried about the side affects of this medication and does the benefits out weight the side effects.."

Kareem February 7, 2019

"I was prescribed Lexapro/Escitalopram for anxiety and depression. I began at 10 mg and over the course of a few weeks increased to 20 mg. At first, I noticed some jaw tightness/clenching, but nothing miserable or extreme. A few nights of insomnia. The only negative side effect now is sexual dysfunction. It's not a lack of desire, it is simply not being able to get from point A to point B, if you know what I mean. The upside to all of this is that it makes me feel better than I ever have in my life. It's like the clouds have parted, and I feel joy and peace. If someone cuts me off in traffic, instead of having to stop myself from feeling road rage, it just rolls off me. I don't feel an ounce of irritability or anger. My stress level is WAY down. I believe because my cortisol level went back down to normal, I actually have lost weight with Lexapro. It feels like a miracle. I feel much more emotionally stable now, and I'm so grateful."

Sunydys33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

"Started Lexapro 3/2018 after brain surgery. Dr recommended for anxiety. 1st week was 5mg/ morning I felt sleepy, headaches & some nausea. 2nd week headaches & slight nausea but totally fine after week 2. This pill also helped to mask pains from my chronic Illness, chiari malformation. I was walking 2 &1/2 miles everyday, traveled with my family. The short tempered or had bad moods were gone. The biggest letdown was the weight gain! I kept telling the docs & they kept saying I shouldn't gain much more. I was on it for 6 months & gained 30lbs even while exercising & eating clean, DASH diet. Lexapro slows down the metabolism & increases appetite. I HAD to come off because of the weight gain. I stopped it 3 months ago have not lost not 1lb! Withdrawal symptoms were worse than going on the pill. Took a month a half to taper off 10mg. I felt zaps, jolts, irritability, and my chronic pains are totally back. I am struggling to lose this weight so bad. The weight is the factor for me coming off it."

Celly January 30, 2019

"I took anywhere from 10-30 mg of lexepro for ~7 years for GAD and I believe it helped me the whole time with social anxiety (I still had some remaining existential anxiety but it was manageable). I think it really can help some people! However I did have a bad experience when I weened off lexepro and tried to go back on it. Side-effects like crazy! Really thought I was losing it for a while and could not sleep so I was switched to Prozac and trazadone and it’s been a couple months now and everything is getting back to normal! Anyway just wanted to warn anyone who is trying to get back on lexepro to watch for side-effects because it may no longer agree with you, but keep trying other medications and you will find another that works :)"

Bestwishes (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2019

"I’m taking Lexapro for generalized anxiety/major depressive disorder because I was not functioning at 100% on my medication for bipolar disorder. I’ve been on 10mg for the past 10 weeks. It took about 4-6 weeks for me to feel the full benefits. I am now 99% anxiety free and the most happiest and balanced I’ve been in years. I have returned to being functional (able to leave the house, showering, exercising, working, able to care for myself, getting adequate rest). There first few weeks were tough because of side effects: serious nausea, feeling high strung/unable to sleep (a little manic that at first I got worried) but I hung in there and now I’m doing better than ever."

20min (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019