User Reviews for Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"This medicine truly changed my life. I was afraid to go outside, FaceTime family, and even talk on the phone. A few weeks after starting this medication I began to feel like myself again and I didn't even know I wasn't myself until I was able to do things like a normal human being again. I had previously tried Propranolol to make it so my heart rate wouldn't get super high but that wasn't solving the root of the problem. I am very thankful for Lexapro and I highly recommend it if you are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder like I was. I haven't had any side effects either :)"

joshmcorreia (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had anxiety as long as I can remember. Symptoms like insomnia, eating issues, tons of intense fear around bizarre and unlikely life-threatening situations happening to me. I've also struggled with uncontrollable panic attacks during stressful times. I'm now a junior in college, and after a spell of depression (caused by panic attacks and constant anxiety), I decided to try medication (though, of course, taking meds made me anxious. Ha). I've now been on Lexapro for about 7 weeks, and I am very happy I chose to try it. I'm on 10mg, and the first week was miserable. Like everyone says, stick it out. Now, my outlook is much more positive, and I am way less anxious. Give it a shot! I'm thankful I did."

sophrick December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 35-year-old woman and was on Lexapro 10mg from ages 21-30 and have been on 5mg for about 5 weeks now (staying at this dose) - both times for GAD without Depression and a touch of OCD. For the most part, I managed fairly well while off it (exercise, limited alcohol, CBT therapy) but had periods where my anxiety would flare up. My advice would be to try it. I was very anxious about idea of going back on medication (i.e. Googling all the horrible side effects) but I'm feeling significantly calmer, less anxious, and happier. I didn't think I needed medication...until I went back on medication (give it a few weeks) and felt the difference. I had convinced myself I was "OK" but really, I was "white knuckling" through my anxiety."

EOM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro is an absolutely fantastic medication for anxiety. I went on it from 2014-2015 and had life-changing results, but I ended up going off because I gained 10-15 lbs. I ended up switching to Prozac, which is good for anxiety too but it is not the same. Lexapro brought me somewhat of a euphoria. I felt liberated. It feels more "pure" than Prozac. Fast forward to 2017, I have decided to try Lexapro again."

Beyonce (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro 10mg helped me SO much. In June of 2016, my dad passed away unexpectedly. I'm 24 and a female. My life was turned upside down and I could not deal. I was a "normal" person w/o anxiety before this now I was experiencing chronic anxiety-panic attacks, mind racing, feelings of derealization, etc..It was chronic. I couldn't go to work and could barely even leave the house without having crippling anxiety. I tapered up from 5mg to 10mg over a few months and it literally saved me. I still had a few symptoms but nothing any different than just every day mild anxiety. It felt liberating. Lexapro 10mg saved my life."

jpaul33333 November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now and it completely and utterly changed my life. I had very serious anxiety which caused my relationships problems, problems in my job and all over my life, I was erratic and an emotional rollercoaster, after 2 weeks on Lexapro I felt stable and always the happiest person in the room, my brain needs this to function correctly without a doubt. I look back and cant believe I was the person I once was."

toz October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has literally given me my life back! I struggle with depression and anxiety and for those out there reading this and looking to find someone you can relate to. Let me tell you, you aren’t alone. I started this drug about 6 months ago and when I first started, I, like you, came to this site looking for reviews to help me get through it. Like other people on this board have mentioned it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I had to take it in conjuncture to Clonepan because it made my anxiety a lot worse at first and I was super paranoid about it and having panic attacks. Just breath. You will make it through and the other side is life as it should be! Stick with it it’s worth it !!"

Dontsweatthesmallstuff October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi! I just wanted to share my experience for those who are out there scared to death to take something that may help them, something your brain may need. Long story short, I was diagnosed with GAD/Panic seven years ago at the age of 19 when my brother was diagnosed with a severe psychiatric mental illness - one that changed his life as well as my families. I began having full blown nocturnal panic attacks, depersonalization, along with extreme anxiety/panic. I tried CBT, changing my diet, doing meditation/yoga, journaling, deep breathing, etc. Nothing worked & nothing helped me overcome this except Lexapro. I am currently a RN and believe my brain needs this medication. Please don't be scared or ashamed if you need to take something to help."

Youarestrongerthanyouknow (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for years and it greatly helped my GAD. I led a normal happy life on 20 mg. Never any real side effects until this year when my white blood cell count dropped very low and it was determined that the Lexapro caused it. I was taken off the medication and within 6 weeks developed horrible anxiety and depression. I’ve tried several new medications since and can’t get relief. It’s been 5 months of hell. I miss my Lexapro. I’m tempted to go back on it and take my chances, as so far nothing else is working and my life totally sucks! This medication was wonderful for me for 17yrs. It totally stopped my previously horrible GAD."

JJ120 (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh my goodness I took lexapro 10 mg ONCE 3 nights ago I woke up feeling crazy, heart racing and my veins were on fire it was like my body went into a total shock. It has been over 48 hours and I'm still waiting for the effects to go away the depression is not so bad I feel better and have more energy to actually do Day to Day things. But the pain in my veins still pops up and the heart palpitations won't stop. I don't want to tell anyone not to take medicine when they need it but I am a natural remedy lover. I went to the beach yesterday I relaxed all day I ate three meals I drank lots of water and have been trying to sweat the pill out. This pill made me feel like I could deal with the panic better than actual medicine. Scariest experience ever."

Maris_89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for."

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 20mg of Celexa for 4 years for euphoric disorder. About 1 week before my period I would feel creepy cawling tingles up my spine and into my brain. I would have white hot temper outbursts. I was also abusing alcohol. Geez, great times. Now I haven't drank in 7 years. Celexa at that time was a God send. Never felt better. Than 3 weeks ago the medicine stopped working and I had to go to the ER twice in 1 weekend. The anxiety, vomitting, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats were unmanageable. Finally my friend who is a Internist suggest Lexapro 10mg. I agreed and took it just like Celexa, before bed. I woke a new woman. All side effects gone, and normal feelings of happiness are in my heart. First day, so things may change, but I'm better."

Better321 September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before you read everyone's comments, understand that mental illness is not all the same and isn't fully understood. (With your doctor) you have to experiment which out works best for you. All medications take a few months to work for their full potential. Take them exactly how your doctor recommends them and take them exactly on time. I know it's hard but be patient, you'll get their and it'll change your life. I've been taking Lexapro ( escitalopram ) for a few years now. Before taking it, I tried everything in the book. I went from sweaty palms, forgetful thoughts, sweaty armpits, loss of sleep, overwhelmed with anxiety, stomach issues...etc to feeling sharp, happy and not depressed. I take it exactly within 24 hours everyday."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the second time trying Cipralex. The first time for 6 months on 10mg. I struggled at that time with severe anxiety attacks that seemed to come out of nowhere, but found later on that it was caused by depression. Because I am very sensitive to medications and nausea, I fought to not take meds for fear it might get worse. The Cipralex and practicing CBT made me feel fearless. I could travel, drive, and function again. This is my second time being on it due to a new job and moving to a new province. I needed some extra support. I also eat well and exercise. I take 5mg because my anxiety/lifestyle is more managed over the years with exercise and meditation. On 5mg I actually feel so great! Increased appetite, relaxed, happy."

Calis (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anxiety has been crazy since moving cities and hard finding work. I can't calm down. Started lexapro or the generic brand at 10mg a day. Had orgasm problems first like 4-5 days hard to urinate. Mild head ache. And vivid dreams. But I stuck it out after two weeks side effect mostly went away and doctor instructed to up it to 20mg a day and now I honestly feel no extra side effects most have all gone away already by week 3. I feel a little better about being able to control my anxiety and intrusive thoughts. But still feel kinda depressed and anti social. I'm gonna keep trying tho. Its helped the anxiety already so I think it'll take longer for everything to settle in. I take it at night cause it makes it sleepy. Wake up fine the next day."

Thisguy0000 August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on it for 8 weeks. Feeling much calmer and even. Sleeping better. Lost 5 pounds which is good. Has kept my appetite down and increased satiety. Downside is high fatigue some days and maybe some reflux."

Xylophonic August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this for over 18 months. I went from stress starving myself I was so anxious and so much more to my old weight and a healthy outlook about myself and others. My dosage varied between 10mg up to 40mg during a rough stretch. The only thing I will say is that even though it is a far-flung side effect for some, the decreased libido was the only downside for me. Mine was never hyper but it had a dull edge on it. At a lower dosage there is no loss of it but be mindful."

John N. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medication a little over a year ago. Terrible, terrible experience. Slept almost all day and when I wasn't asleep I was in constant panic to the point of tears. It's hard to remember a time in my life (even with anxiety and depression) where I cried more. I have found however that I am very sensitive to meds and so I'm sure this was part of it. Would not touch it with a 10-foot pole."

auguries August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is pretty great for depression, however I am on it for serious anxiety and it has only exacerbated it for me. I feel agitated a lot and have insatiable hunger that has caused me to gain a few pounds. There have also been some sexual side effects that have made sex a little more of a challenge."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Lexapro 5-10 mg for 15 years and it has kept my panic attacks and GAD at bay. Only time I have a problem is when I decide I don't need to take the medication anymore and take myself off only to find my anxiety and panic attacks begin recurring. Dumb idea! For me, it's a long, difficult period of adjustment to get on Lexapro after getting off because of the side effects and the anxiety symptoms, (nausea, no appetite, nervousness, heartburn...) but, it's so worth it after the Lexapro begins working. Aaahh!"

Ms. Sunshine August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have noticed such a difference on this medication. I feel more calm about life in general. Social situations used to be extremely difficult for me and now I can be in a room full of people and not feel overwhelmed or anxious. Anyone who struggles with anxiety needs to give this a try. Social anxiety / GAD is a terrible thing to deal with but I feel betteR and now I wish I had this medication sooner."

katetyler (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Lexapro for lifelong depression and anxiety, which at times has been quite severe. I have tried probably about 3/4 of all your typical SSRI and SNRI drugs. Some were kind of helpful, some helped a little while then stopped, some made things worse. Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it about seven months now and feel better than expected. I am not overwhelmed as soon as I wake up, which was a huge reason I slept all the time. I generally feel positive most of the time. One added effect I was not expecting was my concentration, focus and memory seemed to improve. My social anxiety has improved significantly, which was a huge issue for me. This helped me. Keep searching til you find the right med FOR YOU"

julie6485 July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched from Prozac was feeling amazing but there was one problem. It constipated me. I tried to stick to it but it never went away. I do suggest you try this medication because it worked amazing just couldn't handle that side effect. GOOD LUCK"

Wlunate June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro was fine. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't awful. It did lessen my anxiety, but not as much as I had hoped. Every time I went up in dose, I would start to dissociate more frequently, so that didn't really help. I completely lost my ability to orgasm, was constantly constipated, had headaches, and needed 10-12 hours of sleep a night to even begin to function the following day. Coming off of Lexapro was a disaster. I had brain zaps and sweats, and developed major depression, which I hadn't really dealt with ever before."

Courtney1123 June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I read so many scary things when I started Lexapro for GAD but I was so desperate to get my life back! I tried Zoloft and it had a really bad effect on me. I switched to Lexapro 10 mg after two weeks on the Zoloft and it took a bit for the Zoloft to leave my system (maybe a week)? After a couple weeks on Lexapro 10 mg I went to 15 mg. After one week on 15 it was like a light switch went off in my head. All the anxiety is gone. I had a lot of start up side effects most notably increased anxiety, lack of appetite, waking up with panic attacks and just feeling like crap. But at that point where it kicked in, all that is gone. I feel better than I have in years!!! Not the right med for everyone but give it a chance to see if it works for you."

AwesomeGurlz June 20, 2017