User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"Please read this. I've battled anxiety for a long time and when I had a recent bad time with it I needed extra help. Was prescribed Lexapro 10mg once a day. I'm a big hypochondriac so taking new medicine is a painful experience for me. The first week was tough, just adjusting to the meds but by day 4 I literally felt like I had done a 180 degree turn around. It works and I felt great. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks I broke out in hives and had to discontinue but I highly suggest for anyone battling anxiety. Zoloft was horrible. I did have withdrawals from both meds - the brain zaps but was asked to increase my water intake and that help flush it out. Had withdrawals for about a week."

JulesSan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"I think I have had anxiety and depression all my life. I kept ruining all my relationships because I had delusions of being cheated on and consequently kept accusing my partner(s). The patience of my second husband and seeing his pain propelled me to see a psychiatrist willingly (before this I was dragged there and refused to take medications) who prescribed me to Lexapro 10mg after dinner everyday. For the first 2 weeks, nothing changed in terms of my negative attitude towards my partner. The side effects were terrible, it felt like being pregnant, I was so nauseus sometimes I would lay in bed all day. After week 3 the sun seemed to shine brighter. I look at everyone positively. I am happier. My husband is crazy in love with me. Thank you"

Babygirl7773 July 8, 2016

"Changed my life. Anxiety is gone, and because of that my depression. Loving life anxiety free is amazing. Can't believe I waited this long is my only regret."

Windwolf (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I'm a 40yo old male who started Lexapro just over three weeks ago for GAD. The psychiatrist advised 5mg for the first 2 weeks to adjust to side effects, then to 10mg. The first 2 weeks I barely noticed any effect, maybe a little less stressed than usual, but then moving up to 10mg really hit me hard - fatigue, sweats, confusion, nausea, panic attacks. Honestly, 5 days in I was at the point of calling my doctor to say I couldn't take it anymore. But then on day 6, I woke up feeling a whole lot better. It's hard to describe but I just feel focused and relaxed in a way that I'd forgotten how, or maybe never knew. I'm now on day 8 at 10mg and am so glad I stuck with it. Talk to you Dr if you're feeling terrible but know it can get better."

JackNYC July 1, 2016

"I can not say enough good things about this med. I had a crazy experience with anxiety that came out of nowhere when I turned 28 and it was a long bumpy road for sure but now almost 4 months in I am back to normal. It definitely also helped me get priorities in line such as making my health a priority over late nights and drinking. I by no means was a hard partier but I had my fair share of nights out with friends. I now find it completely ok to go out, have a glass of wine and take it easy. The first month was rough. I had everything: nausea, increased anxiety, I lot almost 10 lbs from zero appetite but slowly and surely everything went away and I feel really good now. Don't get me wrong, you have to put in work emotionally but it works."

Kate22888 June 30, 2016

"This medicine gave me a panic attack shortly after I took it.never took it again"

Nck1985 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"I have been dealing with anxiety and depression off and on most of my life. I have never previously asked for help because I thought it was a sign of weakness. Before I was waking up in tears, I was always angry, sure that everyone was judging me. It completely crippled me. I also was self-medicating with pot and with chocolate and my weight was ballooning. I finally asked for help and started on a generic lexapro 10 mg - 2 weeks ago and it is like a miracle. I'm sleeping well, not a tear shed, losing weight, have lost interest in both chocolate and pot. I feel content and happy yet I still feel like me. I wish I had asked for help a long time ago. Life is good!"

Deb P June 11, 2016

"I was suffering from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, and depression. I wasn't functioning very well in my life. I was put on 20 mg of Lexapro. The first 4-6 weeks were hard. I had severe side effects and not sleeping. I stuck it out and am so happy. Lexapro has changed my life and the relationships I have with friends and family. I am also taking Trazadone at night to help my insomnia and depression."

COMOM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

"I'm a 63 yr old female, living alone. I've been on generic Lexapro since March 2016, 10mg. My dr. prescribed this after I described my high level of stress and anxiety, which caused sleepless nights. My extreme stress has been related to dealing with my elderly mother, who has signs of senility , but insists on living alone. There are other issues involved, but the point is: I'm 90% better. This medicine has 'fully kicked in', and I feel like a renewed person, with a greater quality of life. Sleeping through the night, and able to function & feel normal again. No words to describe the positive changes. Grateful this medicine worked for me!"

Imagine smiling (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

"I was put on Klonaphin and Xanax for anxiety and depersonalization when i was 16. A doctor switched me from klonaphin to lexapro without any wearing. I have horrible withdrawl from the klonaphin and almost gave up on the lexapro cause i thought it was giving me these side effects. After just a few weeks i felt great! I didnt even notice until one day i sat and thought "hey im happy and i feel great!" 5 years later some anxiety and ocd is peaking threw. Dont be discouraged. This medicine isnt a cure-all but it works wonders. Give it a chance."

Tabathabelle June 5, 2016

"My anxiety got to the point where treatment wasn't an option, I had to try something. I gave Lexapro a chance. Its been good for me. The drug has slowed down my anxiety. I feel less anxious around people and in general I feel like my internal monologue has slowed down a bit. I've noticed when I'm around people I'm less reactive whereas before I was jumpy and unsettled. I am on 10mg. About a decade ago I tried zoloft and effexor both with mixed results. Currently I take Lexapro and Adderall. It seems to be a good combo for me. There have been some side effects. My sleep is disrupted at times, I have trouble reaching orgasm and sometimes I feel a bit lethargic. This drug is working well for me, I hope it continues to be effective."

John Ho June 1, 2016

"Had every side effect in the beginning. Almost quit taking it. But I am so glad I stuck it out. After 9 months of being on the medication I am finally starting to feel normal again. I begin taking this after I had my second baby I suffered terrible anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder. I am still breastfeeding so that was sent me your consideration however I haven't noticed anything changing in my child whilst feeding. I am so glad I continue taking this and I have to say to anyone who is thinking about stopping due to the side effects at the start keep at it it will only be a couple of months before you start to feel better. Lexapro seriously saved my life!"

Emzmother May 17, 2016

"back on lexapro after a few years of not taking it. only been taking it for about a week so far and having little side effects at all. yawning a fair bit and feeling a little tired here and there but for me this is a good thing because i used have real trouble sleeping at night. nothing else other than that. no dizzy spells, no nausea, nothing! if you are new to this or are reading reviews to see if you will be ok with lexapro than PLEASE give it a chance. you will be so thankful for it once you start feeling the benefits from it. as i said ive only started taking it again about a week ago so im not back to being my normal self just yet but i know its coming any day now with a positive attitude!"

Johnny Tapp May 1, 2016

"The time I been on lexapro I had mild side effects like yawning and insomnia really bad to the point I am only sleeping five hours or so...I can say it calms you but I haven't got the full effect of getting back to my old self again..."

Anonymous April 27, 2016

"Hi I started lexapro 20 mg around Dec 2015, for generalized anxiety. I was scared to take any prescribed drug due to me not wanting to get hooked on meds. My anxiety so bad that I was unable to function at all. I have two children and there was no other option for me but to try something. The first week I had insomnia, slight tremors. I would wake up every morning at 6am with it seemed to be a empty stomach. I went to the ER twice in the first week. I felt like there was no end. My husband thought it was all in my head. By week 2 every side effect started to decrease day by day. I was able to get out of bed and clean my house. I felt like I was not confined anymore. Week 4 brand new me. Try this med, it saved me and could save you!!!"

michellejob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"After four years my sweats are getting g worse and hope I don't have to stop taking this medication as it took the butterfly feel from my stomach"

thankfull (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

"So to start, Im not affiliated with any med companies, nor is this some fake bs review. I was you, scanning reviews all night long, just two weeks ago. I have a HUGE personal phobia of medication, in dread of any adverse side effects... and my anxiety has also come back with a vengeance over the last 2 years, and began controlling my life. I started on 5mg generic. People say it's placebo at this dose....everyone is different. I can tell you a few things: The 9th day on it I had realized most of my anxiety was gone & all my emotions, sex drive, were all in tact. 1 major problem... Insomnia for every single night, and night sweats. Couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night. Helped, but not the right med for me due to this. Try it!"

AnActuallyHonestReview (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

"As my nickname says I have been very quiet and most of my life. Always worried and anxious since a child, I came to the US when on my 30s and years later, I think the stresses of life and my personality put me in a severe anxiety with depression and several panic attacks. I was thinking I would die!. Went to Psychiatrist did not trust on him first time, I did not want to take the medicine and I got worse! I started taking lexapro 10 mg, it helped me so much, I had that hope on it that I didn't remember side effects. I used also the benzodizepines and ambien to be calmer and get some sleep. Like 3 months later didn't take more benzo ,and/or ambien. I have been in this medicine since March 2014, today is March 2016. Been reduced now to half"

Quiet Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2016

"I rate this medication very highly. I had no history of anxiety or depression before being struck down with severe generalised anxiety (and subsequently its bff, depression). I've been on lexapro for 3 months now and my life is completely back to normal. If I still have side effects, they have normalised so that I no longer notice them. About a month ago I starting drinking wine again ( I got a reaction the first time, but was fine after that), and 3 weeks ago I started on coffee again (it made me hyperactive for the first week, then normalised). You just need to ease into it. Please don't give up on this med in the first week. It's a bit of a rough start but so worth it when you come through the other side."

Sass123 March 22, 2016

"I just started taking his medication yesterday. Ive read good teviews. I suffer from GAD and this is leading to severe depression. All i think about is my breathing which is causing me not to be able to Sleep. Im desperate and hope this med works."

Bmob2023 March 19, 2016

"anxiety/panic Started 21st Dec 2015 on 5 mg after 2 wks went up to 7.5mg for a wk then up to 10 for the next 8 wks. I felt fatigued/nauseas/headaches quit the gym, unmotivated ,bitchy/moody zombie the whole time but I was hopeful and waited for time to pass to feel better but it never happened and I ended up more depressed so I upped my dose to 15 mgs for 4 days thinking I would wait for the bad side effects to pass again , had the increased anxiety and crying spells etc so I rapidly dropped down to 5mgs for another 4 days and then quit. I had some withdrawals but not worse than the feeling of beginning Lexapro anyway. I'm now laughing and happier again with the help of " the mood cure" book & I expect it to take 2 months b4 I feel100%"

Emmalizalee March 16, 2016

"I've been on lexapro for about 8 months now. It's been so good for me! I am 24 and female. I am no longer depressed. Before I first started, I was waking up every morning with suicidal thoughts. Now all of those thoughts are gone! I am so much more social! I can talk to anyone without anxiety, and I actually want to talk to people! I have more energy and have the urge to excercize and cook myself meals. These are things I wanted to do before but depression kept me in my bed feeling hopeless. There's hope! Depression is real. Don't feel weak for taking antidepressants. It can be the first step to getting out of bed and living your life how you want to live it!"

Paigeminica March 14, 2016

"This medication saved my life. I have been struggling with anxiety for 20 years and nothing has worked. Finally decided to go on an SSRI for this and mild depression and it's like the weight has been lifted off of me. No longer am sick all of the time. No longer do my triggers affect me to the extent that they once did. I had panic attacks about taking this medication, and if you have anxiety about medication I ask you to just give it a try. If this isn't the one for you then your doctor can switch you. If you're looking for a sign to start I hope that this is it!"

Jenny456 March 10, 2016

"I have currently been on Lexapro since 2/22/16 and I am starting to feel relief from my anxiety. The first week was terrible with the side effects of headache, nausea, upset stomach and I was extremely sleepy, but starting at the end of week 2, I was able to tolerate it much better. I have noticed now at week 3 that the things that use to bother me, don't bother me anymore or at lease I feel like I can tackle them without being irritable, snappy and moody. I don't sweat the small things anymore and I have no side effects anymore. I am glad I stuck it out. I had determined in my mind that I was gonna take it for 4 weeks straight and faithful and I'm glad I did. I am so much better now. Be encouraged...there is hope!"

Wendy414 March 9, 2016

"42 year old male. Married with 2 kids. No drugs or alcohol. No history of anxiety or depression prior to this incident. Several months ago I was wrongly diagnosed with throat cancer. As it turns out I am fine and cancer free. But the fear of leaving my family without a husband/father sent me into a tail spin filled with anxiety and depression. The worst part is that I stopped sleeping. My MD put me on Xanax (.5mg) and Ambien (10mg) which only made things worse. Finally went to shrink who put me on 10 mg Lexapro that I take in the morning. The Lex has given me the strength to get off the other 2 meds completely. After 1 month she bumped me up to 20 mg. After 6 weeks anxiety gone, depression gone, and I'm sleeping again naturally"

Anonymous465 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016