User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I was on Lexapro for about 2 years. It definitely helped with depressive thoughts and feelings. I was able to get out of bed, shower, and live. It did have some side effects that I didn't enjoy. Namely, my libido zeroed out, leaving me with no desire for intimacy. I also started to get migraines from time to time, as well as weird, often gruesome, dreams. It definitely helped me to be able to live my life while managing my anxiety, but in the end, my side effects outweighed the benefits."

Mik (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2018

"Hi guys, As others I wanted to share my experience. I've been on this lexapro for more then 4 years in the past. Then last spring when I've been noticing I sometimes forgot my 5 mg dose I tapered down on the medicine. In the summer no real issues, but the winter came in hard and 1 bad trigger had me right back on the anxious side. I re-started to take 10 mg for 2 weeks and now 1 week at 15mg. First weeks I suffered increased anxiety, panic attacks and didn't see any hope. And then BAM, it starts working. I'm still not at the full benefits but I feel it kicked in. Now I'm back to having interest in stuff, people etc. So I have 3 major advices.1. Please give the medicine time, it might be rough but when it starts working you gonna have the real benefits. 2. It's not a shame to take a little pill. People with high blood sugar levels do it too. 3. Don't see this medication as the only solution... See therapists , do some cardio, mindfullness. I pray for all you guys!"

Positivist (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

"Hello, I would like to say I lived by these reviews to help me through my darkest days with this here anxiety/panic disorder. I had symptoms that range from nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, no appetite, the feeling of about to pass out/faint, noodle feeling sensation in my leg etc to the point I didn't feel like myself anymore and thought death was near. Thank you for your reviews it help get past all that and I got to the good part where is works without the side effects"

Heartbreak89 November 9, 2018

"I’ve been on lexapro for a good three, four months now. I’m 18 and I’ve been having extremely bad panic attacks. But the medications seems to somewhat help with the panic. I got diagnosed with panic disorder today and mood disorder. So taking lexapro with a mood disorder can potentially make things worse for me. But hopefully that’s not the case. My therapist upped my dosage to 20 mg today so I start that tomorrow. I hope things work out well because I really don’t want things to get worse."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

"I’ve been taking 10mg for 6mths for GAD & OCD. There were improvements to anxiety but at the same time I changed some lifestyles habits and relieved stress by moving house and stopping work, and I also got treatment from a few different resources. So I can’t say that this medication was what worked. What I have noticed is that despite giving up sugar (binge eating) for over 4 mths and going to the gym for over a month now I am not experiencing weight loss. In fact, I’ve gained weight! I’m also retaining fluid and am constipated often. I’m female, 42 years young. I’m choosing to go off this medication (psych says it leaves the body within 27hrs and I shouldn’t experience side effects) because I don’t like the above side effects. I’ll let you know."

Willo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2018

"Well today is my first day taking this med. Really hope it works as I have been dealing with GAD and panic attacks for almost 2 years now. My first dr started me on prozac and that was a nightmare - it made my panic attacks worse. I was given Ativan to take as need and that helped but I came off all meds due to not wanting to be depended on them so I just been dealing the best I can. Now I'm really tired of being like this, face tingles all the time, I have tension headaches everyday, and i just don't feel right and most the time its like I'm outside my body - I don't know how to describe it. So I finally have a new dr and she wants me to try this so first 10mg is now taking. Now the wait begins to see if this helps. I really hope no side effects cause my anxiety will go through the roof. She did say if in one week I feel no change then go up to 20mg please pray 10mg works. Will help date later."

Turtlegirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2018

"I’ve been on 10mg of lexapro for 3 months now. I’ve been suffering with anxiety for the past 10 years I’m 59. The first 3 weeks were horrible with most side effects they appear to have gone now however I have gained weight about 5kgs. The lexapro definitely has helped my anxiety has at least halved and I can do most things. I still occasionally take half an Ativan when I’m feeling very anxious. The main thing I seem to get is chest pain which is almost everyday I’ve been to the ER on many occasions and they say I’m fine. I don’t know whether to increase my lexapro or not. All in all I’m reasonably happy with lexapro."

Markscura (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2018

"This medicine is miracle!!! I been having anxiety since I was little girl, I been on lexapro for a month my anxiety went away, I feel happier, confidence, and I am more organized at work."

Rosa (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

"I was very resistant to the idea of taking meds, but somehow lived with crippling anxiety for over 10 years that affected my friendships, family connections and ability to have a meaningful relationship. A year ago I tried Prozac and it made me have suicidal thoughts and the start up affects didn't disappear after 8 weeks. Then 3 months ago I bit the bullet and tried lexapro. Let me tell you that any Doctor who says u will be fine after 2 weeks doesn't know what they are talking about. The start up effects are brutal...sickness, increased anxiety, depression. I couldn't leave bed. However, 6-8 weeks later all these effects subsided and now 3 months + in its the best I've ever felt. This is game changer for someone who has suffered anxiety for over 10 years. Next...dedication towards therapies (recommend ACT, excellent framework to building up resistance to anxiety and minimalising its impact on your life). Stick with it...6-8 weeks of pain is nothing compared to months, years of feeling great."

RealRL (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"Worked like a champ for 18 months. A near-miracle drug. Only downsides: it stopped working after 18 months. Also, I gained 30 pounds during that time and had a reduced libido."

Zac (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2018

"I was on 10 mg Lexapro for about 14 years and it was great. I recently decided to try and go down to 5 mg and I crashed big-time. Now I'm back on the 10 mg for a little over a month. I was feeling better last weekend, but had a panic attack and could not get on a plane for work, which caused me to spiral all this week. Back to square 1. Wondering if I should ask my doctor to increase to 15 mg or more...I have not been sleeping this week and it's hard to eat."

rwat67 (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

"I had great luck with this medication for many years and then got off of it when I got pregnant. About 6 weeks postpartum I became very depressed and my anxiety spiked. My doctor put me on Zoloft and after giving it 8 weeks and only feeling worse and worse my doctor switched me to Lexapro. I started at 10mg for 3 weeks, experienced a little diarrhea but nothing too awful. However, it wasn’t taking away my anxiety issues. By that point I had become agoraphobic, couldn’t drive, had to take some time off work. Doctor upped me to 20mg and 2 weeks later I started driving again, working out again, feeling like a normal human being. I read through the positive reviews on this page over and over to get me through. Please, please give the medication 4-8 weeks to feel the full benefits. And only read positive reviews. You’ll make it through this and know you are not alone!"

GiveItAChance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"It was the best thing I ever did for myself I haven’t looked back. The first week I felt sick & extremely anxious. I have GAD. But I pushed through and came out the other side. That heavy weight I carried around on my chest got lighter everyday and 3 months later it is honestly gone. I feel so good I am in the present moment, I enjoy things, my relationship is better then ever, no arguments anymore, no stressing over silly things. My OCD symptoms are minimal I can tell myself I don’t need to do it right now and I won’t where as before I would have insomnia. I am 21, at uni, living my best life now, I recommend lexapro it brought me back down to earth. My anxiety ruins all my relationships, starting arguments & my anxiety makes me angry, currently I am at peace, no stresses, I can sleep, no heart palpitations everyday, stable relationship & happy. I wish I started it sooner . I am enjoying getting to know this side of myself as I have only known my anxious self the last few years."

Orangejuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

"I was diagnosed with GAD and depression in 2008 and was prescribed this by my psych. 10 mg of lexapro it worked wonders for my GAD and depression. I was also prescribed klonopin to take as needed for anxiety. Lexapro is the drug for me. I changed psychiatrists recently and she increased my dosage to 20mg daily of lexapro. Also she had me on 100 mg of vistaril to take as needed. Vistaril had practically no effect on me. Also I was prescribed 15 mg of mirtazapine At bedtime with mirtazapine I sleep like a baby Side effects are vivid dreams and increased appetite. This my first drugs review I would like to hear from anyone on these 3 meds and share their experiences with me, thanks"

Jon September 1, 2018

"I trudged through 15 years of depression and anxiety too afraid to pick up the phone, too embarrassed to be the next one in my family who admits mental health issues. I finally forced myself to make an appointment with a doctor I didn't even know. Just over 3 months on Lexapro later, and it's the best decision I've ever made. I started on 10mg and am now on 20mg. Sweating and tingles were my only side effects, and only for the first week on 10mg and the first week on 20mg. They faded, and it would have been worth it even if they hadn't. I am now positive throughout my day, don't have the afternoon crash, and don't dread every work moment anymore. 9 /10"

CardinalsDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

"Thank goodness for this med. I had severe anxiety after I had my baby. So bad I couldn't eat, sleep, etc. A few weeks on this and I was a new person. I got to be the mother I wanted to be. I'm so glad I have my life back."

Goose Lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 15, 2018

"Lexapro made my life normal again, until I was so stressed and I'm diagnosed bipolar that I started to feel manic. Now my Doctor will add lexapro to quetiapine for bipolar disorder. I hope that it has the same effect that it had before on me. I loved it. It brought my life back"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2018

"I been on lexapro for very bad anxiety and I have anxiety because I have PCOS and keep getting UTI'S because of it UTI can effect the mind like a bad virus. I have only been on it about a week but I can feel a difference. Before it I didn't want to do things or go out of my house I battled anxiety for 4 years with no meds cause I'm scared to even take OTC meds so this was a battle but after a miscarriage my doctor though it was best . The first week has been a little struggle, I started out on 5mg and move to 10mg in 2 weeks. I say to anyone interested - try it. Life is hard but Lexapro makes it ok. No it's not a cure but It helps ...."

Lizzie (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

"I am on my 10th day of lexapro and I notice some improvement. I hope it will continue."

Ian July 2, 2018

"I have been on lexapro for a year and it LITERALLY saved my life. I was experiencing panic attacks, had mild depression and social phobia. One year later and I have NONE of that! I think I will be on this medication for the rest of my life, I am 33 years old and WISH I had started this medication on my early 20's as my anxiety pulled me back in so many ways from living life. Now I am stable, I feel happy to hop out of bed, I am confident at work, no more social phobia and shaking and heart palpitations etc. I was so scared to take this medication when I first started, as I read many reviews that mention the bad side effects. Honestly, do not let the starting side effects discourage you. The side effects are not fun BUT it is also not fun having extreme anxiety and/or depression for the rest of your life. The side effects will go away! Obviously this is my experience everyone is different but my advise is to stick it out! It only changed my life for the better. I started on 5mg, two weeks later 10mg and now on 15mg."

Bess June 23, 2018

"Hi guys, 24 year old female, I have tried Zoloft in the past and prozac before I tried lexapro. 4 weeks in on 10mg and I didn’t feel it working much for my mood so I went up to 20mg. And I slightly feel more calmer. I’m on this medication for extreme anxiety and panic disorder. It has helped dramatically, and it’s only been 4 and a half weeks now. I was crippled from anxiety and scared to go out in public just in case of a panic attack, but now I feel like it’s more manageable. I haven’t experienced severe side effects (thankfully). I don’t experienced fatigue and just feeling really lazy and lack of motivation to exercise. But it is so much better than waking up in an absolute panic. It’s amazing how I has helped me. Good luck to anyone trying it."

Smurfygirl June 22, 2018

"This medication works really well for me with minimal side effects. I have taken it for some time."

Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

"I was once you, reading drug reviews online, trying to find reassurance. Before you read this I want you to know that my experience is not your experience, or anyone else’s for that matter. For me, this drug did not work. It seemed to create incredibly obsessive and unwanted thoughts, which in turn led to more anxiety. I also became pretty depressed, and felt drugged. I took myself off of it and now I’m returning to normal. If you can, try the natural route first, and use benzos for short time acute anxiety if you can. If it’s still bad, give Lexapro a try. I know it works for plenty of people, just not me."

Adim7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

"I suffer with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, emetophobia AND depression. I know, quite a list. I have suffered for over 40 years. Mainly due to the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I feared side effects of meds. This is the 2nd time in my life being on prescription meds. I started taking Alprazolam in 2004. This was great, I am still on the same dose I was back then. 0.5 mg. This gave me a life outside of my home!!! I was basically housebound since I was 14. By 2009, I told my Dr. of 30 years I wanted more of a life. I hadn't seen the ocean since I was 13. I NEEDED to get there again. He put me on Lexapro. My dr. put in a special authorization to the insurance company. You may want to talk to your Dr. and have him do this for you."

Bonnie June 11, 2018

"I have taken Lexapro(Brand only) for years. I Tried the generic twice for the insurance companies. 5 generic tabs did not produce the results that 1 Lexapro Brand did. Recently for the 3rd time United Healthcare simply decided that they would just "Not Paid for Lexapro". Every genetic make-up is different. Lexapro works for me, however I cannot pay $535.00/ month. I am suffering terribly and will probably lose my job and livelihood tomorrow because I cannot cope. I wish the insurance company would have to pay unemployment benefits."

nurse (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018