User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I have been on this for over 18 months. I went from stress starving myself I was so anxious and so much more to my old weight and a healthy outlook about myself and others. My dosage varied between 10mg up to 40mg during a rough stretch. The only thing I will say is that even though it is a far-flung side effect for some, the decreased libido was the only downside for me. Mine was never hyper but it had a dull edge on it. At a lower dosage there is no loss of it but be mindful."

John N. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medication a little over a year ago. Terrible, terrible experience. Slept almost all day and when I wasn't asleep I was in constant panic to the point of tears. It's hard to remember a time in my life (even with anxiety and depression) where I cried more. I have found however that I am very sensitive to meds and so I'm sure this was part of it. Would not touch it with a 10-foot pole."

auguries August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is pretty great for depression, however I am on it for serious anxiety and it has only exacerbated it for me. I feel agitated a lot and have insatiable hunger that has caused me to gain a few pounds. There have also been some sexual side effects that have made sex a little more of a challenge."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Lexapro 5-10 mg for 15 years and it has kept my panic attacks and GAD at bay. Only time I have a problem is when I decide I don't need to take the medication anymore and take myself off only to find my anxiety and panic attacks begin recurring. Dumb idea! For me, it's a long, difficult period of adjustment to get on Lexapro after getting off because of the side effects and the anxiety symptoms, (nausea, no appetite, nervousness, heartburn...) but, it's so worth it after the Lexapro begins working. Aaahh!"

Ms. Sunshine August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have noticed such a difference on this medication. I feel more calm about life in general. Social situations used to be extremely difficult for me and now I can be in a room full of people and not feel overwhelmed or anxious. Anyone who struggles with anxiety needs to give this a try. Social anxiety / GAD is a terrible thing to deal with but I feel betteR and now I wish I had this medication sooner."

katetyler (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Lexapro for lifelong depression and anxiety, which at times has been quite severe. I have tried probably about 3/4 of all your typical SSRI and SNRI drugs. Some were kind of helpful, some helped a little while then stopped, some made things worse. Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it about seven months now and feel better than expected. I am not overwhelmed as soon as I wake up, which was a huge reason I slept all the time. I generally feel positive most of the time. One added effect I was not expecting was my concentration, focus and memory seemed to improve. My social anxiety has improved significantly, which was a huge issue for me. This helped me. Keep searching til you find the right med FOR YOU"

julie6485 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched from Prozac was feeling amazing but there was one problem. It constipated me. I tried to stick to it but it never went away. I do suggest you try this medication because it worked amazing just couldn't handle that side effect. GOOD LUCK"

Wlunate June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro was fine. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't awful. It did lessen my anxiety, but not as much as I had hoped. Every time I went up in dose, I would start to dissociate more frequently, so that didn't really help. I completely lost my ability to orgasm, was constantly constipated, had headaches, and needed 10-12 hours of sleep a night to even begin to function the following day. Coming off of Lexapro was a disaster. I had brain zaps and sweats, and developed major depression, which I hadn't really dealt with ever before."

Courtney1123 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I read so many scary things when I started Lexapro for GAD but I was so desperate to get my life back! I tried Zoloft and it had a really bad effect on me. I switched to Lexapro 10 mg after two weeks on the Zoloft and it took a bit for the Zoloft to leave my system (maybe a week)? After a couple weeks on Lexapro 10 mg I went to 15 mg. After one week on 15 it was like a light switch went off in my head. All the anxiety is gone. I had a lot of start up side effects most notably increased anxiety, lack of appetite, waking up with panic attacks and just feeling like crap. But at that point where it kicked in, all that is gone. I feel better than I have in years!!! Not the right med for everyone but give it a chance to see if it works for you."

AwesomeGurlz June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to suffer from panic attacks frequently that made me feel like I was constantly about to faint or have a heart attack. It was so bad at one point I couldn't leave the house. I was extremely worried about taking this (probably as a result of GAD I was diagnosed with) but I've been on lexapro since November last year and haven't had a panic attack since! It was hard getting used to lexapro at first and I experienced visual hallucinations upon waking up, but a small dose of valium helped take the edge off. Now anxiety isn't interfering with my daily life and I barely think about it. I'm now learning meditation, CBT and looking after my physical health so I can wean off the drug later in the year when I'm mentally ready for it"

Eloa7 June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this med for GAD/anxiety. Worst 10 days of my life. Nausea, retching, dilated pupils, insomnia and vivid dreams, but worse yet near constant panic attacks. Coming off it now. I understand this drug helps many people. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Babe20 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my fourth month on Lexapro. I was having debilitating anxiety and phobias that interfered greatly with my life and my Dr said was causing me to be depressed. I never wanted to take a medicine before because I was too scared (anxiety) but I'm so glad my Dr talked me into it. Other people even notice a difference in me and say I just look better. I feel so much better. I'm not scared all the time and having dissociative thoughts. My fear kept me in bed because I couldn't make a decision but now I get up and do all the things I love again and I'm not so tired. The first few weeks were hell with side effects but I knew those would wear off and they did. You just have to stick it out. But then again, nobody knows how anyone will react."

CollegeStudentAnna June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After I gave birth to my son almost 3 years ago. I suffered from GAD and had 3-4x panic attacks, negative thoughts, sweating, tightening of my chest, can't breath, restlessness, name it....to the point I can't function and can't even take care of my son. I've started taking lexapro 5mg for 1 week I had the worst side effects to the point I don't want to eat and take a bath...it worsen my anxiety symptoms 10x but after a couple of weeks lexapro begins to kick in but not that optimal effect. After 6 months of taking lexapro 10mg signs and symptoms started to subside. This medicine really helps me. Lifesaver! Just be patient. I took it for 1 year and 5 months.I was cured."

Brave Mom May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pros- fast onset, felt it in just a few days. Works well for anxiety/depression. I no longer obsessively worry. No weight gain, decreased appetite (fabulous) Cons- Constant head/neck/shoulder/lower back pain, can't sleep a full night without waking up at least 5 times (really frustrating), decreased interest and ability to have sex. I have tried all the SSRIs and this will be the last one before I give up on SSRIs all together. Will probably have to take Remeron to sleep, I didn't really want to be on 2 meds but I need to sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The best anti-depressant I have ever experienced, I couldn't sleep longer than 5 to 6 hours a night of broken sleep, now I average 8 hours of fit full sleep. When things don't go my way now I simply shrug my shoulders, before I thought the World was conspiring against me. The drug seemed to work for me almost instantly, didn't take me the normal 4 weeks before I noticed an improvement in my mental well-being. Can't thank the creators enough. Big ups!!"

Timmy Tonsil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After regularly seeing a cognitive-behavior psychologist, who helped me so much, I decided that although my anxiety was significantly reduced, and I was beginning to feel and act like a normal human being, I felt I would benefit even more if I took medication in addition to therapy. Although I was getting far fewer panic attacks than when I had started therapy, I still got them occasionally. I wanted to prevent them permanently, and take the edge off generally. My psychiatrist, and my dad who is also a psychiatrist, recommended Lexapro. Lexapro is the first and only anti-depressant I've ever taken, and I don't think I'll ever switch! I am the happiest I've ever been. Lexapro and therapy have helped me begin to love and respect myself. 10/10"

Jeff777 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Last winter, a number of extremely stressful events sent me into an emotional and psychological tailspin. I began having anxiety attacks and intrusive thoughts, which were hellish. I awoke every morning with a feeling of utter horror. Finally, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro. He warned me that the side effects could be awful and to start slowly. I began with 2.5mg and increased by 2.5 every 5 days, or after side effects subsided. They included: WORSE anxiety, WORSE intrusive thoughts, extreme drowsiness during the day and a "caffeinated" feeling at night. But, slowly this went away. 1 month later, the terrible thoughts are GONE. Anxiety almost vanished. I am coping, and sleeping well. So, so grateful. LIFE-CHANGING!"

Niniche (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered with social anxiety for around 2 years , I wouldn't leave my house or my bedroom it was so so bad I even had to drop out of school over it. A year passed and my anxiety got much worse I felt like I was going crazy. Social anxiety turned into anxiety all together I felt like I was loosing my mind. I looked in the mirror and didn't know who I was I was hallucinating when I closed my eyes seeing pictures and objects. I would even talk to myself like a mini conversation going into my head. I got so so depressed over it where I would cry every single day and stay in bed. I became so suicidal. I started taking 5mg lexapro and it changed my life I still suffer with the thoughts but so bad anymore I can get out of bed and enjoy life"

Anxietyhelp May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro is very successful in decreasing my anxiety levels from moderately high to almost nonexistent. Before Lex, any kind of public speaking would give me HIGH anxiety (lots of physical and mental anxiety symptoms), whereas after Lex I felt close to nothing right before giving a very important presentation. Same with social anxiety - if you have it, symptoms will largely go away with Lex. It is really cool but also kind of scary how effectively this med takes away anxiety, to the point where sometimes I wonder, maybe I SHOULD be feeling anxiety in this situation? Cons: I feel emotionally numb, fat, and constantly sleepy. Caffeine will be your best friend!"

koolaidnovel (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After struggling with severe anxiety (PTSD) and mild depression for years, Lexapro made a huge different. I had done therapy, self-help, and religion (which helped me personally), but it still seemed something just wasn't "quite right." Doctor prescribed 10mg Lexapro and I've never felt better. The world is a different place, not scary, no depressing, just balanced, happy. The first few weeks I had severe drowsiness (I've never slept so much in my life), and a few "head shocks" or "exploding head" events, but it wasn't too bad. The drowsiness was worse, thankfully I had a lot of work built up at my job. A month and a half later and the drowsiness has essentially subsided. I recommend trying this drug if you have anxiety."

Typicalskeleton April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety hit a high in my mid 20s & went from every once in a while to a constant drowning feeling of anxiety. When it became paralyzing, I started therapy. After 3 months of therapy & being against medication, I started to learn more about the illness, how it runs in my family & because the physical symptoms weren't going away I started Lexapro. For the 1st couple of months as I increased the mg, I became paranoid that I was going to become suicidal. I had never thought about this in my life, never depressed & was actually very happy with my life. I was just so paranoid that I would lose control of my anxiety and hurt myself. It went away and I feel better than ever. I see life differently, more grateful for every day "

Summer38492343 April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Lexapro about 4 months ago, first at just 5mg. As the weeks went by I increased it gradually to 10mg, then 15mg, and now I am on 20mg (have been for about 2 months). I have experienced absolutely no side effects whatsoever on this medication, to my amazement. However it did not really start working until about 2 months ago, it does take time. It does not feel as though I am on antidepressants, what this medication seems to do is prevent me from thinking depression or anxiety-driven thoughts...I am not super happy, but I am definitely not depressed either. It has worked seemlessly, I simply do not delve into those dark depressing thoughts anymore...and I do not experience anxiety. It's been very successful :)"

JonnyG April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on lexapro for about 4 1/2 months now. I had really bad GAD and OCD I couldn't be left alone with my kids and wouldn't drive just from fear of pretty much everything. I am taking 15mg and it's working.. not as anxious and now able to be alone with my kids and now am driving. I am just pretty frustrated because since I've been on this drug my hair has fallen out quite a bit I have half the amount of hair I used to have.. (which is hard because I do hair) and I'm also starting to see the weight gain. But It has helped a lot with me mentally. I'm kind of scared to wean off. I'm just over my hair falling out."

BISBO April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered a bad panic attack my senior year of college and that experience seemed to open the floodgates of anxiety that I had been keeping dormant most of my life. It was tough for me to get out of the house, go to the gym, see friends and family for months. I finally broke down to my mom and she suggested seeing a therapist. At first I was hesitant to take any meds but I finally gave in and started 10mg of generic Lexapro. Worked wonders and felt fantastic. I stopped taking it a year or so later thinking that I was "cured". Let me tell you, that was a mistake. My GAD has come back with a vengeance. Started up on the 10 mg lexapro about 10 days ago and I almost feel worse. Maybe it's just taking its time now but I'm hopeful it will be ok."

TryingToSeeTheUpside March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking lexapro 10mg since Jan. It has helped with my depression. But I started feeling down an anxious. So I asked for my dose to go up. I'm now on 20mg. I can feel the difference. I do take clonazepam for when feel my anxiety kicks in. However I've come down feeling very sick since starting the 20mg like I did when I started the 10mg. Not a very great side affect. I also get very sleepy so I do have to take it at bedtime. Dreams seem very real. Scary real. Hopefully I don't have to be on very long when my vitamin d goes up to its normal levels."

chyster March 18, 2017