User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I was on Effexor XR for over 9 years and it finally pooped out on me. My Anxiety and Panic Attacks came back with a vengeance! I was barely functioning, always afraid that I was going to drop dead. My psychiatrist recommended a tricyclic antidepressant but I am afraid of those medications. He then recommended Lexapro. So I've been on Lexapro generic 10 Mgs for 2 and half weeks now. I have mixed feelings about it right now. The first week I felt no difference in my anxiety. The second week, I felt great! Hardly felt anxious and hardly reached for the Ativan. I was sure this was the med for me. Now I feel out of and a bit anxious again"

Slikmich December 15, 2016

"I was having a terrible time with anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. It took 3-4 months to fully kick in but I'm back to my normal self. I tried tapering off once I felt better, which went well for a couple months then my issues started to return. I went back on 10mg and I'll stay here for another year the try to slowly taper off. I don't mind being on this drug. The only downside is that my sex drive is noticeably decreased."

Uehjj December 15, 2016

"I have been on 20 mg of Lexapro for over a year now. After a bumpy first couple of weeks - mainly insomnia and nausea - Lexapro has been extremely effective in reducing my anxiety in everyday situations that used to cause me much angst. It has also put a stop to ruminating and obsessive thoughts."

Ry-Fry December 10, 2016

"I had been on and off this drug for years and it significantly improved my depression and anxiety. It also helped me sleep (I took it at night because it made me nauseous). Unfortunately, it also contributed to weight gain, so I switched to Prozac and it made a big difference. On Zoloft now because Prozac gave me fog and I think it's my happy medium for now."

Great but made me gain weight (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 7, 2016

"I was terrified of taking lexapro after having horrible side effects with every single antidepressant known in the market. I am a 52 year old female and after reading all the negative reviews I quit taking it for a period of 2 weeks. I finally decided I was so miserable I would try it again and 3 monthes later I am doing great! No more fear of leaving house, negative self talk, constant anxiety and worry! I may have gained 1-2 pounds but if you take it you will be more likely to go out for walks, gym and get moving again which I have. Please dont let the negative reviews influence if the med will work for you or not. Im obsessive about weight gain and I am not gaining! Im really liking my new calm self, give it 6 weeks, big difference!"

angie8686 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2016

"I took this 10 years ago to help with depression and anxiety through a divorce in 2006. It helped... I got better.... I stopped taking it. This year has been difficult and after car accident I am nervous, anxious and very irritable along with depression and hopelessness. I just started taking again with just 10mg and can already tell a difference.. However due to no sleep Dr put me on a sleeping pill as well so I can't tell if the Lexapro is adding to the sleep aid for my sleeping."

rapsongbird (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

"I've been taking Cipralex on and off for the last 7 years but have been on it steady for the last 2yrs. This time I've only been taking 5mg. because of the side effects I got before, but due to certain circumstances in my life I need to increase it because my depression has worsened and my anxiety is very high. The reason I went on it again was because of anxiety attacks and my depression was not good. I really hate to have to increase it again because of the side effects but I have taken many other anti-depressants and their side effects were worse. I'm very sensitive to medication in general even Tylenol makes me fall asleep lol. But I'm also thing that maybe taking Clonazepam on a regular basis may help with my extreme anxiety."

Cory 52 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

"I've been suffering from depression and GAD since 2000. It was pretty bad and I was immediately put on Paxil but also tried Welbutrin, Celexa, and Trazadone. The last three didn't really work for me but Paxil in combination with Clonazapam did help me after a period of time. I had some good stretches and some bad ones. In 2010 my doctor suggested Lexapro at 10mg. It was amazing. I felt great and I didn't need the clonazapam. This lasted for about 2 years but then a few stressful situations made my anxiety and depression come back. My doctor increased Lexapro to 20mg and also put me back on clonazapam. I was on this for about 2 months with no relief. Either my anxiety and depression were quite bad or the Lexapro just pooped out."

PaulMartin16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 22, 2016

"I would rate the effectiveness of this medication pretty high. I took this medication about 12 years ago but it seems to be working better this go round. I feel more cheerful, am sleeping a little better and the best part is less anxiety which was severe. I'm super happy about the decrease in anxiety I've experienced. I'm probably going to ask for an increase in dosage. I'm currently on 20 mg. I wish you well to those of you who are just beginning this medication."

Earthgirl84 November 9, 2016

"Was horrible at the start, expect insomnia taking 20mgs. After 6 months I felt very very very good. I live with no anxiety at the moment. Weight gain is a side effect."

Vickyyyy November 3, 2016

"I've been taking lexapro for depression and anxiety for the past 3 or so months. at first I saw a change in my mood and anxiety levels, and my anxiety overall is a bit better. I don't know whether i need to talk to the doctor about upping my dosage or about taking another medication on the whole. Anyone else have or had this problem with lexapro?"

Derek1999 October 30, 2016

"I have been on Lexapro for just about 3 years. I was first diagnosed with both depression and anxiety my sophomore year of high school, after I had missed weeks of school due to these conditions. After just the first week on Lexapro I felt better. Eventually, I had to have my dosage raised as I started to feel anxious/depressed again. I'm now a freshman in college, and couldn't be happier with what Lexapro has done for me. I'm actually studying to be a psychiatric nurse to help people like myself, with mental disorders."

Brittany E. October 29, 2016

"I have had anxiety since childhood. I never knew what it felt like to be without it until the first time I took Lexapro. It was amazing to feel "normal" for the first time. I had been on Zoloft and Prozac before and neither made me feel normal. I've had to quit Lexapro due to insurance at times and being without it is not something I ever want to do. I've tried Celexa and the generic forms as well but they come with sexual side effects. With Lexapro I have very little sexual effects. In fact, it seems to enhance orgasm for me. Initial side effects when starting it included very bad diarrhea for a week or two, but it goes away. I take 20mg which seems to be perfect. 10mg didn't do the trick. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot."

JMar72 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 26, 2016

"My doctor prescribed me this medication for Generalized Anxiety Disorder as it was crippling and ruining my life. I was reluctant to try it because I've heard so many horror stories about the side effects but I figured I'd give it a shot. First week or so was a little rough. Lots of nausea and brain fog but I was determined to give it at least a month. Once my body adjusted my symptoms slowly started to disappear. Today I feel like a different person. I feel free from my obsessive worries and panic that had plagued me all my life. This truly is a wonder drug if you're lucky enough that it works for you!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

"Been on Lexapro 10mg for about 10 weeks and I still haven't felt any better. Really sad and frustrated."

Coutinho (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

"I experienced "poop out" after being on Lexapro for 7 years. I was prescribed 150 mg of Welbutren, which was upped to 300mg. The Lexapro kicked in after a few weeks, and worked like a charm. After one year, my anxiety and depression returned progressively getting worse over a period of three months. Finally realized my insurance switched me to the generic escitalopram. I had been taking it for three months without realizing it! Requested to switch back to Lexapro, however, Tricare insurance would not cover it so had to pay almost 178 per month for brand name. That was two years ago. Now pay 294 per month. Tricare still will not pay. Considering buying from Canada."

Generic Lexapro "DID NOT" Work (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016

"Hi there, I have been off work for approx 7 weeks due to severe anxiety. I initially started to take Sertraline 50mg however after 4 weeks it made me very low in mood and suicidal hence to swap to Ecitalopram 5mg. I have been taking this for 10 days and already feel a considerable improvement in my overall mood. My anxiety is less and the negative thoughts are manageable. I still worry but things don't seem so bad anymore. I feel like there's hope again. I am pleased so far. Good luck"

MandAjW September 11, 2016

"This drug changed my life. I've always been "depressed" person if you will, problems from childhood, then life got hard when I moved country and my husband deployed. Almost within a week of taking lexapro I began to notice the difference. More stable, more optimistic, no longer crying over anything... Things that would give me major anxiety before no longer bother me as much, although the anxiety is not completely gone. Only very mild side effects of dry mouth and slight headaches, but boy is it worth it. I am, what must be "normal" to the rest of the world now. I'm very happy."

Riela28 September 3, 2016

"This medicine changed my life. I've suffered from social anxiety for 20 years and always afraid to ask for help, until one wedding anniversary with my husband at a restaurant was to much for me. I was uncomfortable and major anxiety just eating in a restaurant and I was tired of feeling like this. The next day I told my doctor I needed help, he gave me lexapro and my life has changed. I'm loving life again and nothing is holding me back. I'm so grateful I asked for help"

Lorie de August 22, 2016

"I've had anxiety for many years and my Dr had me on Xanax for about 12 years...3 times a day (0.25mg). She weaned me off to only taking 1 at night. While weaning she put me on 5mgs of lexapro to ease the process which was over a year ago and I still take the lexapro however, lately I have been experiencing more frequent panic/anxiety attacks which causes major dizziness more so than before. I'm not sure if Lexapro is for me or if the mgs is too low. I'll be making an appt to see my Dr but I want to see if anyone out there has had or is having this problem. It's pretty scary."

NanaRob August 22, 2016

"This medication has forever changed my life, it has possibly saved my marriage and relationship with my kids. I am a person who suffers from anxiety and severe mood swings. Before Lexapro I would snap at anything, little things would trigger anxiety attacks and that would lead to depression. My first week on Lexapro was not to bad I had some nausea, felt jittery at times, restlessness at night, and yawning uncontrollably. But I noticed right away and so did my husband that I was more at ease, happier, and was able to blow things off that would of made me blow up before. The pros out weighed the bad for me. So far I have been enjoying life more, laughing with my kids more often and not focusing so much on the little things."

G0128 August 21, 2016

"This was the most incredible pill. It entirely changed my life. I used to be so scared of failure and it used to effect my income and job performance. I used to have really bad anxiety and it used to effect my sleep pretty badly. The first month and a half were pretty brutal on Lexapro but after that it immediately began working. I no longer suffer from anxiety. I sleep extremely well. I can multi task now and I don't worry about things like I used to and my fear of failure is long gone. I was like you, reading this review, thinking that they must be fake. But I said what the hell and decided to book an appointment with my psychiatrist. My life has never been better since!"

Jordan87 August 18, 2016

"It worked very well for me six years ago. I had depression, little sleep and anxiety. I was off within a year but panic attacks have struck in recent weeks so I am hoping for a similar experience. A recent post was hoping for a two week improvement which is not how this drug or any ssri I know of works. It did work fairly quickly as I recall. I felt much better in 2-4 weeks and was able to make necessary life work changes within months. Calling it a lifesaver sounds about right to me."

Jersey guy2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2016

"I got this prescribed for frequent panic attacks and anxiety. All this medicine did for me was create a much bigger sense of anxiety. I should have know the first time I took this to never take it again, but I knew I needed to try it out for longer in hopes it would work. Immediately after I would take this my anxiety would worsen and after it settled I would experience uncontrollable panic attacks lasting over 2 hours. I do not recommend if you are incapable of waiting over a month with this being a possible side effect when taking it."

Val0 August 8, 2016

"After a long period of high stress and panic attacks, I reluctantly tried this medication (reluctantly because SSRIs had only INCREASED my anxiety problems in the past). I was only able to tolerate 2.5 mg of this medication, but it did help the anxiety some. It did not help my sleep (may have worsened it). Side effects were stomach upset and feeling very spacy. It was not a perfect medication for panic, the benzos are better. I experienced some relief from Lexapro but only at very small doses, and I still needed to use Xanax daily for panic attacks."

Kitkat11111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016