User Reviews for Ativan

8.2
Insomnia 15 reviews 110 medications

Summary of Ativan reviews 267 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Ativan

For Anxiety "I have had a prescription for Ativan for about 6 years. This was given to me after a diagnosis of GAD that was taking over my life. I have tried many SSRIs, SNRIs, and several off label drugs, but none helped. Most actually seemed to make my condition worse. I would take 0.5 - 1mg of Ativan on occasions when I felt out of control, and it would bring me relief. I have taken 0.5 - 1 mg in a day only as perscribed. Sometimes I have taken it daily for three months at this dosage. I was always terrified about the withdrawals you read so much about if you stop taking this, but I am perhaps one of the lucky ones who, at this dosage, can simply stop with no bad effects. I regularly stop for months at a time."

Allen1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I've got severe anxiety and panic attacks. I've been using lorazepam/avitan for a couple years now to help stop my panic attacks. I can always count on it to work. Last night my anxiety was through the roof. My mind wouldn't stop racing, my chest hurt, and it felt like I was being stabbed in the gut repeatedly. I want to cry but I knew if I did I would for sure have an attack and wasn't sure if I could cope right since I was home alone. I keep a vial of my prescription on my keys and took one tablet. In about half an hour I no longer felt like I was dying and was able to get some rest a little after that. I think if I didn't have this med I would have ended up at the hospital last night."

Jaderade August 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I was super against taking medication. I've started dealing with anxiety (some depression) for awhile now. I got prescribed Ativan months ago, and never took it. I thought I could handle myself again but then my relationship started to fail because of my over thinking. I went back to the doctor, and decided to try it. She prescribed me .50 3 times a day. I took a full one at night after a bad panic attack, and within 30 minutes I was calm and slept through the entire night. I have only been taking a half morning and mid afternoon and full at night because it does make you feel tired. My brain is in a slight fog, but nothing crazy, I still know whats going on though :) Give it a try if you are suffering. You will know after 1."

kstew.321 August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I started off at .50 mg then to 1mg before bed. I had many issues going on in life and I was having trouble falling asleep. This helped in the beginning, but my dose is going up and up. I admit, I take this more than I should, so I understand there's an addictive nature to this. Just be careful, and talk to your doctor if you notice that. The best part of this drug; I get a good night sleep and I'm not waking up 3x a night."

AnSF99 August 1, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I have used this for about a year now. I used to be on a high dose of xanax for several years but my new Dr. Didn't agree with that, so here I am on adivan. I don't feel as if it helps with anxiety that well. It takes a high dose for me when I have panic attacks. Most definitely not used for sleep."

Smari3dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2016

For Anxiety "Hey Everyone, I take 2mg of Ativan a day. 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night before bed. I have been diagnosed with Severe Panic Attack and Depression. Lorazepam (Generic brand for Ativan) does help me. Understand that the effects for any medication is going to vary person to person. I don't get sleepy in the morning when I take it, but it does help me get a good night's sleep at night when I'm tired. Also, I do want to say: Recently, my pharmacy didn't give me the exact amount of pills of Ativan, so I have been off of it "cold turkey" because I ran out and the withdrawal symptoms can be a hellish. Note: Anybody can be dependent on any medication/drug. Talk to your Psychiatrist. REMEMBER...everyone responds to medication differently."

You.are.not.alone July 8, 2016

For Anxiety "I recently experienced a week of panic attacks. The first 3 times I took a pill...they were .5, it worked and I could calm down. After that the small dose did not work and I landed in the ER. I take nothing else and haven't taken any other benzo in years. I'd like to give it a lower rating due to the fact that dependency happens so fast if you aren't careful and can't cope other ways. They are definitely a bandaid. They do work though to stop panic . Just be careful and only take as necessary. Side effect..calm and sleepy..in a daze. Took an hour for them to kick in also."

Tuffygal (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Anxiety "I have severe flight anxiety and was prescribed Ativan 5-10 years ago to take before flights. It works really well, and gives me this deep feeling of calm that helps me not panic on planes. I used to shake for an entire eight hour flight, and while my anxiety doesn't entirely disappear with a 2mg dose, it's vastly more manageable. I haven't really noticed any side effects aside from feeling sleepy and having my mind wander a bit."

Boopsoo June 29, 2016

For Anxiety "Taken it a few times/packets.. Found it did not much but was on other meds like concerta and suboxone... Taken now, at 2.5mg four times a day it's not xananx but it does the job if you are agitated or panicked"

God backwards June 29, 2016

For Anxiety "DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE TAKING! Consult with your doctor but also be aware of the side effects involved. Symptoms include dizziness, fatigue, muscle weakness, slowed speech, muscle spasms, twitching / fidgeting, nightmares. Not for everyone."

TH1RT33N June 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Works great! Been suffering with anxiety for a while now was very hesitant on taking any kind of medication was given this medication in the hospital and within 20 minutes I felt relaxed and calm wish I wasn't so hesitant and took it sooner. Great for when anxiety attack comes on"

Vickyyyyyy A June 3, 2016

For Anxiety "I take it as needed, I have depression and it gets out of control at time, I take 1 mg. and in 10 - 15 minutes I am ok."

Life long battle (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting "Have Gastroparesis. Gag reflex problem. Helps smooth the large muscles. Cannot tolerate side effects of Reglan. Use with Zofran at times."

7527 (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2016

For Anxiety "Ativan has been SO SO helpful for anxiety and panic attacks. It can be addicting so I try and only take it when I really need to; not more than a couple times a week. But it definitely has helped me and I would recommend it to those with bad anxiety."

Kelly Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I used to get bad panic attacks, and very severe anxiety, and ativan was the best medication I ever took in terms of completely getting rid of my anxiety. It calmed me down quickly, got rid of my anxiety completely, and made me relaxed and calm. It's very potent and effective. Compared to Xanax I think Xanax works better for regular anxiety and Ativan to me seemed stronger. Also Ativan seemed to considerably elevate my mood compared to Xanax. It's probably best for those occasional severe panic attacks not to be taken too often. Very effective though!"

RobbyR April 9, 2016

For Anxiety "35 years on ativan"

dyslexic333 March 28, 2016

For Anxiety "This response is for the person whose Doctor won't prescribe Ativan because it's an old drug. I went to a psychiatrist and that's the med he prescribed for me to help me sleep through the night. It had been 3 months since I'd slept more the 6 hours and usually it was 4 hours each night. Ambien got me to sleep but wouldn't keep me asleep. My PCP prescribed trazadone and that was horrific. She then prescribed doxepin and that sedated me but never put me to sleep. After 3 months of this my PCP said for me to go to a psychiatrist to hear my symptoms and prescribe the right med. he got it spot on. By the second night I was sleeping like a baby and able to naps during the if I felt sleepy. I have gotten myself back. I also take Zoloft."

Boston Qualified (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Instead of calming me down and relaxing me from my anxiety and panicky feelings it made them extremely worse. I thought I was going to loose my mind. Well actually for a brief time I did. It caused me to have a nervous breakdown. This was only on the second day I took it. I didn't know what was going on or what was happening. I thought I was going to loose my mind and before I knew it I slit one of my wrist. I have never had any intention of doing this before taking Ativan. Thankful help came and I got 8 staples put in my wrist were I cut it. I will never take this medicine ever again. I just warn to be very careful taking this medicine. I have never had any reactions to medicines before until this medicine I took back in Sept 16, 2015."

heartwhispers March 24, 2016

For Anxiety "I take adavan for panic attacks caused by load noises or medical test and the dentist it is very effective within 30 minutes it makes me sleepy and relaxed. I get off balance and dizzy so I usually need help walking it is a great medication for panic attacks"

Victoria 25 March 19, 2016

For Anxiety "I took my first 1mg dose recently and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I was prescribed Ativan to take only as needed on the cusp of an anxiety attack, as I've been having a few lately. It absolutely took the sting out of the anxiety and left me feeling really chilled out, to the point of that really comfortable tiredness when you're super relaxed. I haven't felt that in a long time. I didn't have any gross side effects (except for the tiredness) and was able to enjoy the rest of my day :)"

LizzyMcGoo March 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I take 0.5-1mg for times of unmanageable anxiety or panic attacks. This happens a few times a year. Very effective medication with no side effects for me. I've been taking it since I was 26, I'm now 30."

Jake9277 March 7, 2016

For Anxiety "This drug has saved my life, I take 1 mg twice daily, I have severe anxiety and panic disorder that leads me to never leaving the house bc I'm scared of everything. This drug dug me out of a deep anxiety phase that was leading to very serious depression I was scared to tell my doctor that I was gonna kill myself if they didn't find something that worked I tried about 14 other meds with little to no success. Before my doctor said I'm gonna try you on ativan and see how it helps with my drug history this was a last choice kind of thing. He warned me about the potential for abuse and addiction, I'm aware of it and I never abuse the drug. I've been using ativan for 2-3 months now and I'm finally back into the work force finally able to drive again"

mazda lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started taking Ativan in 1997. My first and only time in a psychiatric ward. I was diagnosed with panic attacks. When I first started taking them the first 3 days were an absolute nightmare. I was getting more side effects being on them than without. I told the doctor and he told me to give it a few day and that this side effect would go away. I was literally going to sleep (in and out of sleep?) with a bible in my arms. Finally the 3rd day it did start to take effect and my panic became less frightening. I started in 1997 @ .5 MG 3xday and now in 2015 I take 1mg 3xday. It has never given me a problem except for those fee days when I started the dosage."

Sa68 February 25, 2016

For Anxiety "I was just diagnosed in my 40's with generalized anxiety disorder not surprised. I was always having anxiety/panic attacks and unable to function some times. I now take Celexa daily and while it takes about 2 months to really kick in my anxiety is gone and I feel FAR beyond how I have felt in forever. Zoloft nor prozac worked. I don't know they are truly geared towards anxiety. High;y recommend it at 10mg if not feeling better."

Trishapis February 24, 2016

For Panic Disorder "This drug saved my life. I had General Anxiety Disorder(GAD) and i get a few panic attacks, and this has been the most helpful thing for it."

Abdane February 23, 2016