User Reviews for Ativan

Insomnia 20 reviews 107 medications

7.9
Summary of Ativan reviews 311 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Ativan

For Anxiety "Female, 21. Developed a panic disorder and hypochondria at 16. I did CBT therapy for a long time which helped immensely. I would go to the ER and Dr constantly. I would have a hard time falling asleep because I would panic I would die. I have been on this for 6 years, 0.5mg-1mg as needed. I only took it when in the throws of panic during a time when I did not know how to cope. It has done absolute wonders for me. I take 0.5mg only a few times a year now just when my GAD gets to be too much or anxiety disrupts my sleep for more than a few days. It's wonderful in small doses, as needed, and combined with CBT. I have had no side effects or withdrawal except if you take it when you aren't panicking and on occasion it can make you quite sleepy."

Gardeniaaa July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I'd been having problems with insomnia and anxiety, both conditions feeding off each other and making the other worse and creating mild depression. My GP prescribed 0.5mg to be taken at bed time as needed, to be increased to 1mg if needed (only gave me 14 tablets as they are habit forming). Amazing results! I slept through the night and woke feeling calm and NORMAL for the whole next day AND the day after! I've taken 3 doses in the last 11 days, and took 1mg after a particularly stressful day with the same good results. No side effects of note except for a very mild headache 24 hours after the first dose. I'm expecting to have a decreased need for these after starting a new job in the next week but so happy to have them to get me through."

AMtgr (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "You would have to be crazy to take Ativan. I took 1-2 mg 2x a day for 6 months and had withdrawal symptoms for almost 4 years after stopping over a 2 week period per my doctor. If you think your life is bad before taking Ativan just wait until you experience the withdrawal and after effects of this poison. After 2 years still had vibrating hyper sensitive vision and hearing . Burning in your nerves especially in your feet. Forget sleep all you do is lie in bed awake for me almost 2 years dreaming while awake. That part was the most torturous part of the med. The FDA needs to remove Ativan from FDA approval immediately."

BenzoWarrior0711 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Used at a funeral, supposed to take 0.5mgs, did not work at all. Took another, and another, and another. Maybe my doctor sucks, or maybe Ativan sucks. Do yourself a favor and get some Xanax if needed for occasional anxiety."

Ativandosage sucks (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have been taking 1 1/2 mg every other night for sleep for the past 3 years. I have tried my other drugs for sleep and ativan is the only one that works consistently. Because of its addiction potential I take it only every other night. Also I have not had to increase the dosage in 3 years, which I believe is a result of not taking it every night. It is easier to tolerate my non-Ativan night of insomnia when I know I will be sleeping well the next night."

bashbish (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Fast acting. I take .25mg once or twice daily. Some days none. I have a slight dependence on it even at the low dose. I can skip it but notice when I do. Not nearly as effective as it used to be but still works. I prefer to keep the dose low and use it with Buspar 7.5 twice daily and 75mg Effexor XR for my OCD and depression. The Effexor seems to help my OCD and the Buspar/Ativan takes the edge off the Effexor. I also use Ambien CR 12.5mg."

UndrMediKated June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've been using ativan for anxiety and insomnia for the last 5 or so years. Lately I have been having side effects after taking only 1-2 pills at night for sleep. It does help me fall asleep but the next day I wake up nauseous. And I'm nauseous all day. Another weird side effect that it seems no one else has experienced is that my skin feels weird, like my fingers feel like there is a coating on them...It's hard to describe but it happens every time I take ativans. I get no side effects like this from valium or xanax. I hope my doctor will switch for me."

FoZB June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "At the age of 29, I've developed anxiety and it's gotten progressively worse, with me ending up in the ER for what I thought was a panic attack. After evaluating me, the doctor confirmed I'd had a panic attack and had the nurse give me an Ativan. I came to to the ER in tears, unable to control my breathing, feeling suffocated, body tingling, nauseous, face numb, the whole 9 yards. After taking the Ativan, I was feeling completely back to normal within 15 minutes, I could not believe it! They gave me a short prescription for it until I can follow up with my health care provider and it really is such a miracle drug that really calms the anxiety, allows you to think clearly, and feel relaxed."

Miracle Drug! (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I took too much Ativan which gave me delusions and super depressive thoughts. Stay away from pharmaceutical drugs."

Chris Cornell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I've had severe panic attacks for forty years. They run constantly and NEVER stop! I'm 78 years old and have been taking 1mg Ativan three times a day which barely keeps them under control! I need four a day but my doctor acts like I'm asking for heroin! I have never needed a stronger dose, Now, they are almost banned !Call your representatives and the comment line at the White House and demand we be given this medication because we must have it!"

Nink's (taken for 10 years or more) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I rarely have trouble falling asleep so that's not why I use it. I use it to stay asleep if I wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason. There are times when I wake up 2-3 hours before I want to and my brain shifts into overdrive and I can't get back to sleep, or if I do, it takes me about an hour. This medication eliminates that. I only use it if I've had a few nights in a row like that. Then I get caught up and wake up rested. I would never feel comfortable about using it nightly. Thankfully I don't need to. 0.5mg is all it takes for me. I'm 5'3" about 130 give or take 5lbs. A bottle of 30 lasts me several weeks or a few months."

Pam, RN (use to stay asleep) (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Ativan 0.5 mg as needed for panic attacks. Not good for longterm use in my opinion because you will always need more, body will tolerate the dose and need more for same calming effect but its a short-acting med for anxiety and panic attacks and working wonderfully for me for years. I have bipolar 2 with rapid mood cycling and bad PMS symptoms and its a blessing when I do need it. I never take more than 1 mg at one time though because it is a strong drug. Peace. This too shall pass."

MyFightSong (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this a few months ago getting anxiety while driving. The prescription is '0.5 mg once a day as needed." I have taken it about 3-5 times a week, a few times I have taken it twice a day. I have been having family issues recently, and I first thought that was the reason my occasional anxiety has progressed to debilitating (flying off the handle, depressive dying thoughts, chest pains) but after research I've concluded that I'm actually going through withdrawal when I don't take it everyday. Now it's 2:36 AM, I'm scared, mind won't shut off, don't know how to wean off of this properly. I'm tired, will be calling into work in the morning for lack of sleep. Please do not take this and just get counselling for your anxiety first"

Margo G May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am a nervous flyer and my anxiety has been getting particularly bad, so I decided to go to my family doc and get a prescription. My doc gave me ativan and said to take 1 mg 1 hour before the flight. I took 1 mg exactly as she told me and then another 0.5 mg midway through the flight.During the flight, I felt completely calm and at peace, which has never happened before. Highly recommend for infrequent fliers with anxiety"

Julie567 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Have been taking this for situational anxiety for many years. It worked to some degree but I would always feel depressed afterwards which was awful. Last year I used it daily up to 1.5mg while I was changing my anti-depressant. This was a huge mistake. I soon reached the tolerance and began to get rebound anxiety which started up every morning. I've been off of it for 10 weeks now and still suffering. This is really hard to come off of. My advise is don't take this more than once a week and that may be too much. My anxiety is so much worse because of lorazepam."

PaulMartin16 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Excellent medicine, I take it only as needed but beware, for me at least, massive and rapid weight gain has occurred on it, I was a consistent 130 pounds for the last 3 years, within a month of starting it I've gained 25 pounds. Which for me is great, I needed the weight gain, for others though, take caution in this. For me this drug has been phenomenal and I can take it once and feel good for days."

Tony1026 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I began having panic attacks in the middle of the night a few months ago and my doctor prescribed 0.5 mg of Ativan to take as needed. He told me it was fast-acting and would be out of my system in 6 hours. The first time I took it, my panic stopped in about 15 minutes. It was like someone turned the faucet off, just completely gone. I was able to get to sleep without problem for the first time in weeks. I did notice that it becomes considerably less effective if I take it more than 1-2 times in a week, so I try to do everything I can to calm down before reaching for the bottle. Currently starting Zoloft to help with underlying issues (have been on and off it before) and I keep this handy for any random anxiety spikes while my body adjusts."

jtr88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "This drug is the devil. The first few doses work like magic. After 1 week a hellish withdrawal starts kicking in about 2 hours after taking each dose. Impossible to ween off of without a doctor who's familiar with this highly addictive drug."

Gator44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I was prescribed Ativan (aka Lorezapam) because I had a head injury and my Doctor presumably thought that I had a very high level of anxiety (I wasn't getting enough sleep with the head injury so the Doctors perception was incorrect), but once I started using Ativan sleep woes disappeared completely of which I had always had problems staying asleep for virtually all of my life ! Ativan (Lorezapam) puts you into a "deep" sleep, you don't wake up during the middle of the night (Or late night for that matter!), cuts dreaming down to virtually zero and is THE BEST SLEEP MEDICATION I HAVE "EVER" SEEN !!! My prescription was for 1mg and to be taken 1 hour before going to sleep which is exactly what I did ! Effective Rating = "10" !"

RickS64 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Sitting here shaking in my boots this stuff is weak 1mg 3 times a day"

Jay Stew March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Status Epilepticus "This med works well for calming my head after a seizure(s). I have partial seizures. Started using it 2 years ago, 'as needed' Recently I'm attempting to discontinue any use of this medicine. My dosage is only 0.5 sublingual. The withdrawal symptoms are absolutely brutal. It's a low dose. I'm not sure if my sensitivity to medication and time taken affects the detox. I didn't expect the nightmares, nausea, exhaustion, fuzzy head. I am glad this med helped when needed, but can say, I'll never return to using it."

KaterinaSernowski (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "IF you use this drug JUDICIOUSLY, it can a God send. I take 1 mg 3 to 4 times a week, never passing 5 (and rarely hitting 5). 99% of the time I take it right at bedtime to get a bomb sleep. The next day, the world is beautiful. I am lucky; I can feel the drug working for 13 hours every time. And when it wears off, I still feel superb. I am a better person with this inexpensive medication in my life! I have been taking ativan for 10 years. The routine above has been consistently done for 3 years. Consider a low dose SSRI; I have been taking 10 mg of Cipralex/Lexapro for 18 months. I wish I had this figured out years ago! Good Luck."

Wayne Lafontaine March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "This med. Was given as anti anxiety medication. Straight knocked me out an hour after taking. Girl friend took it. She some how functioned to go to work. I was completely unable to cut hair, even unable to get out of chair. Anxiety was gone. And u should only take this drug short term then wean off it.My girl friends Dr. doubled her dosage from 1mg to 2 mg and without it she completely freaked out, yelling, screaming at me. She completely changes her personality if without it. When she stopped taking it, it was like she was coming off heroine. Was a worse situation coming off it, Dr. Did not lower her dose slowly, nor gave her something that could help her come off it. Mixed with cymbalta? Even worse. Mass hallucinations, both bad drugs."

Ziggy marps (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I know that many, including myself are not in favour of the pharmaceutical industry yet, when this drug literally saves your life, i.e. prevents suicidal ideation, can you really hate the industry, then? Think about that."

soucis February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Hands down, the best immediate solution for anxiety or panic attacks. I prefer Ativan to other benzos and it usually lifts my depression too, even suicidal thoughts ( well for the few hours that it works). Just be very careful not to become addicted but this is extremely helpful as an occasional tool in stressful situations. DO not take every day for many days unless instructed so, but even then do your research."

Canada345 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2017