User Reviews for Ativan

1 review 13 medications
Summary of Ativan reviews 8.1 378 reviews

Reviews for Ativan

M · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

For Anxiety "I was put on a low dose of Ativan by my PCP one week ago for an unusual and isolated anxiety attack. He gave me a month supply (2x a day) plus 20 mg of Celexa for depression. Ativan makes me very very drowsy (definitely not anxious or depressed!) It's meant to have a calming effect on severely anxious individuals or help ease insomnia. I've read Ativan is prescribed to calm patients before surgery. I may have had it before surgery, but right now I believe it's unnecessary and overkill. I thought the Celexa was causing the fatigue!"

A~ · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

For Anxiety "Ativan is an amazing drug to take for sleep and for anxiety however proceed with caution if you struggle with depression and are not on other meds for depression. I started taking Ativan for insomnia and for anxiety but it unmasked depression for me and put me in a real dark place and all I did was cry before I would finally go to sleep. I slept amazing but like I said, it made me feel more depressed. :( So for that reason I had to stop taking it. But it is the best for sleep, I always woke up feeling super refreshed if I took Ativan the night before and it didn’t make me have any crazy dreams like some meds for sleep can do. Like I said, only side effects for me were worsening depression and sometimes upon wakening feeling confused. Other than that, I highly recommend Ativan ❤️"

Digital · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2019

For Insomnia "I have been using Ativan for sleep over the last few months and I must say it's been a real help. I strongly recommend that you only take it two to three times a week maximum otherwise you could become addicted to it and it's effects might no longer work. Moderation is the key here."

Gentleman June 9, 2019

For Anxiety "Addiction, dependence, and abuse are all 3 very different things and carry different definitions and connotations. I see many worried about addiction. As with any of the many drugs that change a physiological function, our bodies can become up or down-regulated and normalize the presence of the drug. Any mammal reducing or discontinuing certain drugs, like Ativan, can experience dependence, characterized by physical and emotional distress at withdrawal. This is should NOT alone be considered ADDICTION. Addiction often involves dependence, but that's not all. If you discontinue Ativan and find yourself drinking uncharacteristically more, or pursuing other chemical ways to cope, you may have a valid addiction concern. Phy./emo. dependence, is not the only criteria for AdXN. Dr's are generally accepting of this and should take no offence. Consult an expert, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and alcohol are the only common substances that can be dangerous if d/c'd suddenly."

Nina · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2019

For Insomnia "I am writing this review to help those who may be experiencing insomnia, anxiety and depression. Mine was the result of extreme past and present trauma. I stopped sleeping completely virtually overnight after a series of traumatic events. I did not sleep for several or more months and began to loose weight rapidly I went from 60 kg down to 38 kg as a result and became very unwell. After taking myself to hospital numerous times I did not find adequate help for my condition there. Eventually I met a very efficient GP and psychiatrist which after much trial and error found help from being prescribed a combination of amitriptyline and ativan. Although I am still on the road to recovery, this medication combination has helped me immensely. I sincerely hope that no one on earth has to experience the living hell that I did, only to find help when it was almost too late."

Cantsleep · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2019

For Insomnia "Can't sleep since taking Ativan I am getting to sleep at 5:30am?"

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

For Anxiety "I had a health issue that started my panic attacks for two months. Started taking 1/2 Xanax and continued having panic attacks. After seeing the Dr. she gave me two 1 mg. of Ativan. In 15 minutes or so I was so calm and relaxed! Ativan really makes you very comfortable fast! I love that! Started on Zoloft for a long term fix. Now on 50 mgs a day. Wanting to get off both Ativan and Zoloft, I researched homeopathic options and found that L-theanine and Ashwagandha and Magnesium all have amazing reviews. So I’m going to try the combination of the three. Will be receiving the L-theanine and Magnesium today. I will update as soon as I see results! Hopefully will wean off of Zoloft and Ativan! God bless anyone who suffers!"

Garnetred · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 18, 2019

For Anxiety "With diagnosis of PTSD, anxiety, major/clinical depression, adult onset ADD with BPD on the side, ativan has been in my life for a while and I have never had a problem with it and its never negatively effected my life. It's maybe saved my life a few times."

Working too hard · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2019

For Insomnia "Ativan is the absolute best sleep medication. I sleep better the whole night and wake up refreshed. However, I try not to use it more often than twice a week. When taken more than 4 or more nights in a row and then stopped, I have severe withdrawal symptoms."

Hypochondriac Gal March 11, 2019

For Anxiety "I was diagnosed with panic disorder at 8 years old, and when I was 13, the panic attacks became severe. My psychiatrist finally prescribed me 15 pills per month of 1 mg of Ativan. I’m now 18, and just went through a really hard time. I relapsed into severe anxiety, had to quit all my schooling. My panic attacks can last for hours, and this is the only thing that provides relief during those sleepless nights. If it weren’t for Ativan, I’d have gone to the hospital 30 times now. It is pretty easy to become dependent. I’m tapering off, went from 0.5 mg per day to 0.25 mg, to skipping days. The withdrawal symptoms are not terrible, but they’re definitely uncomfortable. I suffered vertigo, insomnia, and increased anxiety. Advice to anyone taking this medication: Never cut cold turkey. Although rare, it can cause seizures if you stop the medication suddenly. Also, it’s very easy to become dependent on it. Please be careful."

Pumpel · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2019

For Anxiety "I’ve been taking Lorazapam for about 15 years for sleeping. It works wonders. Six weeks ago I went through a very stressful time and my anxiety went through the roof. I hesitated for weeks about taking another 0.5 during the day because my fear of getting hooked on this. Finally gave in the other afternoon and I was my normal self that night and all next day. Then the following day I was back to being anxious. So disappointing because I had hoped something got jarred into place. I'll try cutting the day one in half and see if I can do that for a few days. I do like this drug."

Peds4life February 18, 2019

For ICU Agitation "I was given this for post op pain in recovery instead of narcotics because a anesthesiologist deemed me a drug user because I requested no morphine due to severe itching and scratching till I bled. I could not take ibuprofen due to renal disease. I WAS GIVEN 2mg ativan IV and told it was pain medication. I could feel every bit of the pain but could not speak...people were walking by me and would say “she is asleep now” but I was screaming inside. All it did was drug me to the point I could not speak but could feel every bit of the pain. on the way home from the hospital I went psychotic in the car trying to hurt other people. This left me with nightmares for 2-3 weeks, depression, anger and memory loss. It was not disclosed what was given until I kept pressing them because it was the worst surgical experience ever. The cover up was the worst. It hindered my healing from the surgery."

Bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2019

For Anxiety "I have extremely bad anxiety that started at 8 years old when my essential tremor started. It’s a vicious cycle. Shaking causes anxiety, anxiety causes shaking to become more pronounced and it leaves me in constant fear. Anxiety became so bad recently that I had to go to the ER! I couldn’t even leave the house. Doctor gave me 1mg of Ativan within 30 minutes was calmer than I felt in months. It was SO hard to find a psychiatrist that would prescribe them but I did and now I take .5mg as needed but literally when needed!! I have 90 pills but have only needed 1. I force myself through the moderate anxiety as I am terrified of becoming addicted. (I DO NOT have an addictive personality though, never have) anyways I find these a absolute life saver and for some reason just knowing I have them on me calms my anxiety. I 100% recommend ONLY when needed in extreme cases!!! Force yourself through the moderate anxiety."

DK · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2019

"I have been taking .05mg for nearly twenty years for my inner ear condition called Meniere’s Disease. I would suffer with debilitating dizziness (vertigo) to the point that I would have to roll out of bed to the floor and crawl to get to the restroom or any other place in my house. If I stood up I would fall over. Ativan has given me my life back. It is a miracle drug for me. A couple years ago I had a mental breakdown due to extreme stress from my job, loss of parents, and a son. This made my meniere’s worse and I was put on 1mg. This was the only thing that helped me function, until an antidepressant (Wellbutrin) kicked in. I am now back on the 0.5 dose, 1 daily in the morning, and able to live a very normal life. I am very thankful for this medication."

blue-sky · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Ativan is a wonderful medicine. The people that abuse it, are ruining it for everyone. I got food poisoning followed by 3 rounds of what doctors called "stomach flu." They couldn't figure out how to help me. Ativan is the only thing that helped my nausea. The stomach issues I had also caused me anxiety that I never had in my life before. Ativan helped both nausea and anxiety with zero side effects. Took Ativan for 6 weeks then switched to Klonopin to wean off. Both of those meds are far better than any other SSRI which seem to have so many side effects."

Senior · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I found this medicine extremely helpful. I felt like I was going to die from panic until the doctor prescribed me this lifesaving drug. Worked wonderfully and without any side effects like other drugs I tried."

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2018

For Anxiety "Got on this after a nervous breakdown due to my mom nearly died and my job announced they were closing. I started having my heart skip beats which sent me spiralling into about two weeks of severe insomnia, depression, and panic. When I went to my doctor in tears he prescribed me Ativan. That night I finally slept.. and I kept taking 0.5mg for a week. I then began to improve so I began to taper to 0.25 mg and the second day on it I had withdrawal symptoms of a headache, panic, and nausea. The symptoms lasted 2 days and have finally subsided. I plan to taper again after another week. This medicine works wonders but you need to have an exit strategy fast."

Emmy November 29, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on 0.5mg of ativan. This is my second day. It instantly started helping me overall in every way. But I get real tired, but thats OK. I'll deal with that. I've never been on a nerve medicine before. I simply love it. It has turned a light on in my brain. I feel great and can handle things so much better. Its great."

EJK · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2018

For Anxiety "Yes, it will stop panic attacks, but good luck coming off it. I was having severe anxiety after a bad spell of taking Lexapro, which made my anxiety worse and gave me constant panic attacks, so my doctor had me taking .5 mg three times a day. I was so grateful to have some relief that I didn't question the dose, but the more I read about dependence, the more nervous I became. I started tapering off it after only a month and I thought I was going to die. Hallucinating, insomnia where I didn't sleep for days, couldn't keep down solid food, crippling depression and agoraphobia...it was a nightmare and I was contemplating checking in to a hospital. I eventually transitioned to buspirone and eventually Pristiq. Such a nightmare. I can't recommend Ativan to anyone who may be sensitive to benzos."

worried daughter October 27, 2018

For Anxiety "1st time sharing a story or review but I just think this is so important to talk about and let others know. My mother is only 60 years old and has been suffering from depression and anxiety and also panic attacks for about 15 years. 3 months ago my dad pass away so my mom had a breakdown and ever since has been crying complaining about pain on her chest....palpitations...suicidal thoughts. The antidepressant she is taking doesn't seem to help her at all. So we took her to the hospital because we don't know how to help her. No medication helps for her, only ativan is the medication that makes all the above go away ..but doctor doesn't want to prescribe it to her."

LadyBlue October 11, 2018

"I was given ativan for anxiety due to TMJ (temporomandibular disorder) chronic pain. It ended up taking away the pain itself. However, being in the mental health field, I'm well aware of the addictive qualities of this drug.. I was appalled at how quickly I was put on 1mg/day for 3 weeks and given a renewed prescription without question every time I went in. Users must beware of the high addictiveness and that it can take years to taper off this medication and years for the brain to return to a normal state. Severe withdrawal can cause psychosis, depression, seizures and death, and rebound symptoms are very common even at low doses (rebound symptoms is when you go off or taper down the medication, you experience a worsening of the condition it was intended to treat in the first place). If you've been prescribed this by your GP, please do your research and talk to a specialist about it and follow their advice. Benzodiazepines have ruined many lives and are still continuously over-prescribed."

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2018

For Anxiety "I am the 1% of people who take Ativan and suffer from extreme anxiety and paranoia. If you experience these symptoms you are NOT alone, but you should stop taking the medication (with help of a doctor) . Once I stopped taking it I felt so much better and was not paranoid or filled with anxiety."

Lindsay · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2018

For Anxiety "Ativan works for me. Diazepam does not."

Newk · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2018

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this to take prior to a MRI. I had been taking Klonopin for my anxiety which is more slow acting so thought I would try this. It immediately calmed me down before the MRI and I felt good after. I spoke with my PCP about trying this instead of Klonopin and she was ok with that at 1 mg twice a day as needed. The first week was fine and then during week two I was having a lot of panic attacks, chest tightness and insomnia. I suffer from MS so never sure what is MS related or anxiety caused problems. I have decided to go back to the Klonopin. It doesn't kick in as fast but lasts much longer and I feel much better on it."

Nina August 29, 2018

For Anxiety "Great medication for anxiety! Helps me survive."