User Reviews for Ativan

Insomnia 17 reviews 109 medications

7.6
Summary of Ativan reviews 283 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Ativan

For Anxiety "I've had extremely bad anxiety, panic attacks, and mood swings. This medicine is wonderful. It's not very strong but it takes the edge off. I'd recommended to anyone with anxiety."

K433 January 20, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Prior to starting med school, I was having numerous panic attacks. Over time they intensified, getting worse by the day. I seriously thought that the social life was just done for me. I used to try and stay close to hospitals in case something bad happened to me. I worried excessively about my health (in which I'm completely healthy). I constantly went to emergency rooms to see doctors for having panic aftacks (heart beating fast, shaking, feeling of "lost in the world" and scared). I tried so many anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. They either made me too sleepy, headaches, or didn't work at all. ATIVAN has been EXCELLENT! No Side effects ! Works perfect! Psych docs hate the drug! But it works!"

StudentDoc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I will always take Ativan for my mild-to-moderate panic. The only problem is, it can become addictive. So I try to use other methods for my anxiety before I reach for the Ativan."

BonnieTulip (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2017

For Sedation "52 year old diagnosed with ovarian cancer in July 2016. Received chest mediport in August and went through 12 weeks of chemo. Only side effects were constipation from chemo and sleepless nights from Dedcadron. While these steroids made me feel strong and allow me to work while taking chemo they also keep me wired at night. Only on those days of chemo I would take 1 mg of Ativan at night. So blessed to get some much needed rest and was at work by 6:00 ready for my work day. Feeling rested and getting that quality sleep is very vital when fighting this disease and taking chemo. I just had IP port surgically implanted into abdomen today. Staring next 3 cycles of IP chemo after having surgery December 8th.Ativan has helped me, no side effects."

FightingANDWILLWin January 11, 2017

For Insomnia "Helps with restless extremities aiding falling asleep."

jbenr (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

For Anxiety "I've been on/off benzodiazapines for about 20 years. I am now back on ativan 1mg 3 times a day for anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. I know I need an increase in dose soon, as it no longer relaxes me as much as it used to. I find ativan to be the best benzo. I've tried xanax, (which made me sleepwalk), valium, (which doesn't affect me really). I think I will stick to ativan and after 20 minutes, I feel a lot better. relaxed."

kerrylmcder January 4, 2017

For Insomnia "It was given to me in the hospital to aid in sleeping. I woke up in another hospital bed down the hall. It was empty and I was trying to get in that bed. I had a heart monitor on, but I had moved out of my room, and was half dressed wandering the halls until I came on the nurse station. Why didn't someone know I was having an issue, because of my disconnected heart monitor? They put me back in bed and seemed upset at me. They never explained. I just took it once. I was awake but couldn't see or know what has happened, or about to happen. Could have walked off a bldg. "

Kaneohe January 1, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting "Ativan helped with nausea tremendously.... I've been dealing with nausea for 8 months ...stress related ...."

Miss thangggg (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

For Anxiety "An excellent medication, out of all meds I tried none were as effective for managing my PTSD symptoms. Completely prevented flashbacks and nightmares and anxiety at night and allowed me to fall asleep very calmly. However I can't give it a 10 because I gained tolerance to the doses incredibly quickly, meaning I had to keep raising the dose to get the same effect, which is dangerous because it is a drug you can become physically addicted to. I would highly recommend this med to those seeking a short term fix while they are becoming stable on another long term med, but would not recommend it as a long term fix due to tolerance and addiction possibilities."

Polinda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

For Anxiety "I am on lexapro since I was 16, so for the past basically five years I've struggled with anxiety. My doctor decided about three weeks ago to give me ativan as a "break the glass kind of emergency" immediate anxiety relief. I've only used it twice since then and I don't know how to describe this medicine other than quiet. It makes everything so quiet. and for someone with anxiety, its a miracle. I've learned what the on-set of an attack looks like, and by taking this medicine within thirty minutes I am calm, collected and have completely avoided what might have been a mental breakdown. Honestly, this drug is such a life saver. It does make you a little sleepy but nothing at all unbearable. I can take it any time of the day. its amazing."

MahryT06 November 2, 2016

For Anxiety "Ativan is very good for anxiety. The trick is not to take it too often. I've found that I get used to dosages fast. I've also found that on the day following when I take it, I'm more tired, listless, and depressed. It's something to watch out for."

Owlem (taken for 10 years or more) October 30, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced "It makes me vomit"

Choochy420 October 19, 2016

For Anxiety "About a week ago I experienced a somewhat traumatic event that kept me awake at night. I felt as soon as the sun went down my anxiety started to gradually rise until I had pain in my chest and was hypventilating. Nothing could calm me down or get me to sleep. I finally went to see my doctor and he gave me 10 days of Ativan. Last night was the first time I took one, or any benzo for that matter, and it was like a miracle worker. Within 10 minutes of taking one 0.5g sublingual tab it's like all the anxiety in me went out the window. I felt I still needed to control my thoughts to steer away from provoking an attack but it sincerely helped calm me down to a point where I felt safe and was able to sleep. Definitely recommend."

Noon999101 October 14, 2016

For Anxiety "I'm speaking from nearly 10 years suffering from severe generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. On a 1-10 scale, I'd say my anxiety is at a 12 on most days. My first panic attack brought me to the ER where I was introduced to the world of psychiatric meds, specifically, Ativan. What I will say to all of those who consider taking any benzodiazepines for their anxiety or panic attacks is that there is no benzo I would rather choose than Ativan. It provides not only relief from anxiety and panic attacks, but generally quells anxiety prone symptoms such as nausea, irritability etc., most effectively. I have never experienced much of a withdrawal effect, if at all, and the smaller half-life means less accumulation in your system."

MeepMeep92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Worked great and am able to continue as normal now !"

Cymberleigh October 4, 2016

For Anxiety "I have used this medicine for inner ear problems, dizziness, that causes anxiety for 15 years 1.5 mg per day along with 100mg of Zoloft with very little side efects. It has helped me live with stress and anxiety that I had with my ear problem. Yes the Doctors don't know why this helps with inner ear problem, but that is O.K. it works. I know that Doctors are concerned about abuse and that sure can happen to a addictive person. I have never used more than what has been prescribed to me. This may some day come back to hurt me, but I am 72 now and it has significantly improved my quality of life. Any questions you want ask me. At rutoft64@gmail.com"

russellmeans (taken for 10 years or more) September 28, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had a prescription for Ativan for about 6 years. This was given to me after a diagnosis of GAD that was taking over my life. I have tried many SSRIs, SNRIs, and several off label drugs, but none helped. Most actually seemed to make my condition worse. I would take 0.5 - 1mg of Ativan on occasions when I felt out of control, and it would bring me relief. I have taken 0.5 - 1 mg in a day only as perscribed. Sometimes I have taken it daily for three months at this dosage. I was always terrified about the withdrawals you read so much about if you stop taking this, but I am perhaps one of the lucky ones who, at this dosage, can simply stop with no bad effects. I regularly stop for months at a time."

Allen1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I've got severe anxiety and panic attacks. I've been using lorazepam/avitan for a couple years now to help stop my panic attacks. I can always count on it to work. Last night my anxiety was through the roof. My mind wouldn't stop racing, my chest hurt, and it felt like I was being stabbed in the gut repeatedly. I want to cry but I knew if I did I would for sure have an attack and wasn't sure if I could cope right since I was home alone. I keep a vial of my prescription on my keys and took one tablet. In about half an hour I no longer felt like I was dying and was able to get some rest a little after that. I think if I didn't have this med I would have ended up at the hospital last night."

Jaderade August 23, 2016

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was super against taking medication. I've started dealing with anxiety (some depression) for awhile now. I got prescribed Ativan months ago, and never took it. I thought I could handle myself again but then my relationship started to fail because of my over thinking. I went back to the doctor, and decided to try it. She prescribed me .50 3 times a day. I took a full one at night after a bad panic attack, and within 30 minutes I was calm and slept through the entire night. I have only been taking a half morning and mid afternoon and full at night because it does make you feel tired. My brain is in a slight fog, but nothing crazy, I still know whats going on though :) Give it a try if you are suffering. You will know after 1."

kstew.321 August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I started off at .50 mg then to 1mg before bed. I had many issues going on in life and I was having trouble falling asleep. This helped in the beginning, but my dose is going up and up. I admit, I take this more than I should, so I understand there's an addictive nature to this. Just be careful, and talk to your doctor if you notice that. The best part of this drug; I get a good night sleep and I'm not waking up 3x a night."

AnSF99 August 1, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I have used this for about a year now. I used to be on a high dose of xanax for several years but my new Dr. Didn't agree with that, so here I am on adivan. I don't feel as if it helps with anxiety that well. It takes a high dose for me when I have panic attacks. Most definitely not used for sleep."

Smari3dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2016

For Anxiety "Hey Everyone, I take 2mg of Ativan a day. 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night before bed. I have been diagnosed with Severe Panic Attack and Depression. Lorazepam (Generic brand for Ativan) does help me. Understand that the effects for any medication is going to vary person to person. I don't get sleepy in the morning when I take it, but it does help me get a good night's sleep at night when I'm tired. Also, I do want to say: Recently, my pharmacy didn't give me the exact amount of pills of Ativan, so I have been off of it "cold turkey" because I ran out and the withdrawal symptoms can be a hellish. Note: Anybody can be dependent on any medication/drug. Talk to your Psychiatrist. REMEMBER...everyone responds to medication differently."

You.are.not.alone July 8, 2016

For Anxiety "I recently experienced a week of panic attacks. The first 3 times I took a pill...they were .5, it worked and I could calm down. After that the small dose did not work and I landed in the ER. I take nothing else and haven't taken any other benzo in years. I'd like to give it a lower rating due to the fact that dependency happens so fast if you aren't careful and can't cope other ways. They are definitely a bandaid. They do work though to stop panic . Just be careful and only take as necessary. Side effect..calm and sleepy..in a daze. Took an hour for them to kick in also."

Tuffygal (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Anxiety "I have severe flight anxiety and was prescribed Ativan 5-10 years ago to take before flights. It works really well, and gives me this deep feeling of calm that helps me not panic on planes. I used to shake for an entire eight hour flight, and while my anxiety doesn't entirely disappear with a 2mg dose, it's vastly more manageable. I haven't really noticed any side effects aside from feeling sleepy and having my mind wander a bit."

Boopsoo June 29, 2016

For Anxiety "Taken it a few times/packets.. Found it did not much but was on other meds like concerta and suboxone... Taken now, at 2.5mg four times a day it's not xananx but it does the job if you are agitated or panicked"

God backwards June 29, 2016