User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Dysautonomia 4 reviews 53 medications

Depression 74 reviews 79 medications

8.6
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 796 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Alprazolam

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I've been taking this medicine for 7 years. I only take the1mg pill when I'm having a panic attack. Sometimes more than other times. For me it is a God sent. That horrible tightness in your chest, and shortness in breath is unbearable. However I can see how someone could get hooked on this drug."

kkaskie2001 August 25, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "Started at 24. Took it until 44. It's the only medication that ever worked for me. I was a guinea pig for 6 months. 2 days after taking it, it was a miracle medicine. I actually called my Dr thanking him. I had finally gotten the elephant off my chest. Never abused it, sometimes dealing with anxiety so as not to get addicted. Are there any Drs left that will prescribe real, working medication for people who really need but do not abuse it. I do not need a psychiatrist, I just need (as one put it) one in hand just in case. Doctors today think it's taboo to even mention this medication. I'm not 15 nor do I abuse it. I take a 1 mg at night and sleep like a rock. Hey Drs, this medicine works!!!"

Cummins Turbo August 23, 2016

For Depression: "To me Xanax was a lifesaver. In August 2011 I suddenly collapsed and was in hospital for 2 weeks and then had about 6 months of tests which I was finally diagnosed with vestibular lesion which is ringing in ears and balance disorder due to a problem with nerves. I was only getting 2 hours a night sleep on 5 Valium due to this and my body would just jerk most the time iI was about to go to sleep.I was starting to think life not worth living. I came across Xanax with my friend giving me 0.5mg early 2013 and i had my best sleep in 18 months. I spoke to my doctor and he agreed in my situation that xanax would be helpful as it does calm the nerves so 42 months later still taking but now been on 1mg for past 18 months and now have some life."

Roscoe0066 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "I was prescibed Xanax and it works well for things like panic attacks. I do not like that it makes me loopy by taking my prescibed mg, and if I cut it in half I feel that it doesn't work at all. Xanax works very well for short term anxiety and if highly addictive so it is best to take it when you absolutely NEED it. A Prn that is supposed to work like Xanax but isn't addictive starts with a V so ask your doctor about that. :)"

Kelsey916 August 16, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I used to honestly be completely against pharmaceuticals in every sense, until I developed panic disorder. I have intrusive thoughts, and experience hypochondria and dissociation literally for hours on end or off and on throughout the entire day. It's nearly impossible to even live a normal life feeling this way. After talking a .5 mg xanax, within 10 minutes, all of those negative feelings start to dissipate. It has truly been a miracle drug for me and has changed my life for the better."

Kah665 August 15, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I was 53 years old living a normal happy life when my son (then 18) was diagnosed with major depression. A few weeks later he had a psychotic episode and he left my life out of the blue severing all contact with me ever since. This had a serious effect on my mental health and within 3 months I started having anxiety or panic attacks. I did not know what they were. It was all novel to me. After a few difficult months I went to a psychiatrist and he put me on alprazolam (Xanax) in a reduced dosage of 0.25 mg as necessary. It did provide serious relief. I take it no more than once a day at most. It was a life saver. Yet it deals with the symptoms of anxiety it doesn't resolve your underlying issues. Yet it was a fantastic help. Recommended."

Peter129 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Xanax saved me. Apprehensive about taking meds but broke down after it got so bad I didn't even want to take the covers off my head with my eyes clenched shut just fearing every day because I knew anxiety, fear of everything under the sun and panic attacks would rule my day. I was told I needed to be on long term anxiety drugs so I tried lexapro and ended up in the er with side effects so horrific I don't even want to think of it now. Xanax is basically a quick fix to calm the anxiety but it's the only thing I'm willing to take and over time I broke out of the nightmare I was living. I still have bouts of anxiety but as long as I have Xanax on hand I know I'll be ok. I never had any bad side effects except for being tired. Trade is worth it"

Andiee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

For Dysautonomia: "Alprazolam (Xanax) helps me in way more the one. I quit having blood pooling in my arms and legs, no more being lightheaded all the time, I can actually stand comfortable for more than 3 minutes, and I don't feel like I'm out of breathe and can't breathe! Before I started taking xanax I was bedridden most of the time and that's a difficult task when you have a 5 and 8 year old!!! But yes, alprazolam has saved me!"

Pots Princess August 15, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Was prescribed xanax (alprazolam) for GAD. First few months were a godsend. After I became dependent on them, the doctor- apparently not understanding the slightest thing about dependence- upped the dosage several times. I noticed that my anxiety seemed to be getting worse and I was afraid to leave the house- a problem I had never had before. Took me a while to realize the elephant in the room- it was the "anti-anxiety" drugs! After withdrawing from the drugs- which fortunately was easy compared to the nightmare I have seen some people describe, I noticed I felt less anxious and in general, more "alive". If you feel like your anxiety isn't improving after long term benzo use- the root of your problem may be the drugs themselves!"

James Holden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on Lorazapam over 20yrs. HAD a cardiologist once tell me, heart A-OK.if get severe pain mimicing a male heart attack, take 1. Wait 5 min. Passes, it's anxiety. It worked! Not much other. Need lower start.dose too high (hands/feet)VERY Numb, shaking right."

36èr (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "My doc started me on alprazolam about a year ago for insomnia.-, but it was anxiety that kept me awake. I take one or two 0.5 pills and I am able to fall asleep more easily. I also take one pill during the day if I feel edgy. I recognize early onset symptoms because I had panic attacks (untreated) for over 40 yrs. I used alcohol for years until I realized the damage it did to my body. I used pain pills for awhile, stopped and then was prescribed alprazolam."

old goodie August 6, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I was given xanax in the hospital when people at work thought I was having a heart attack. My anxiety shot up so bad, my heart rate was 170. Been on 2 mg a day ever since (this happen 2 months ago). I only take 1 1/2 mg a day & it works for me. I feel like I have control of my life again. I have heard stories & seen people on it who over take it but if you take it as prescribed, it works."

Karen N (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I have chronic panic disorder/ agoraphobia ,if not for this drug I would be dead,now with all the conflict goin on about it ,I won't survive,im a 60 year old man who has been on 3 to 4mgs a day,how inhuman these new doctors are."

Bill515 (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Helps emenlsy and quickly but you can have seizures if you take everyday then abruptly cut yourself off. From twitches. Mind hurts and yes sezuires. But it helps me with the traumas I've been threw."

Pink-MHPZ! (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "Just wanted to give my experience with Xanax so far. I started having genuine anxiety attacks and all-day anxiety episodes about two months ago. But there were definitely signs of a building anxiety disorder before that. As opposed to normal anxiety, which we should all try to cope with as best as possible without unnecessary drugs. But these attacks had become all-day, distracting, genuinely life-disrupting experiences, tense muscles, constant intrusive thoughts, inability to concentrate on other things, etc. At that point, there's something wrong, and it needs to be diagnosed. Xanax works like a tourniquet for your mind - and sometimes you just need that. It won't cure the underlying issues, but it'll give your mind space to recuperate."

Darren Ronard June 30, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have taken Xanax for about 25 years but only as needed. There are many years I never took any & there are years I took it for a few weeks to help with my Anxiety, stress of having a child with a deadly disease & the depression that ensues. I usually take the .5mg & cut it in half and only use it 1-2 times a day, occasionally 3 halves a day. It soothes me & helps my constantly chattering, negative mind take a break. I have tried SSRIs & have symptoms of being allergic to them, so can't take them, ie muscle twitching, rash & itching. So, Xanax is my only recourse. I know it an be addictive so am very careful to take it only as needed, short courses, & usually about half the amount the Dr. prescribes. It has helped me greatly."

Keep Fighting June 29, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I started taking Xanax .25 mg for generalized anxiety over the past few days and it has helped me feel relaxed, less worried and happy also hasn't affected me with any crazy side effects. (Which I was afraid of happening) I was so scared to take them but my anxiety was getting out of control so I figured I would give it a try and see how my body handles it. I'm going to continue taking one a day since it seems to be helping a lot. I don't worry and I feel calm, the pill does wear off after a few hrs and takes about 20-30 mins to kick in but my dr says it's safe to take another one as needed. I'm also doing counseling too and it is very helpful as well. Definitely recommend this for anxiety!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have social and generalized anxiety along with panic attacks. I am at a max dose of 2mg 3 times per day. This medication is a life saver in the terms of allowing me to not be afraid around myself, allowing me to go out and socialize with friends. The only downside is I will most likely be on this medication the rest of my life as it has proven to be extremely addictive both physically and psychologically. Your brain naturally creates GABA, which takes up to a year or longer to start creating on its own. This medicine also wipes out your short-term memory and tolerance is a huge problem along with creating more extreme panic attacks if a dose is missed. However, this medication is a life safer for me.15 years and counting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "For several years I have been prescribed 1mg to take up to 3 times per day - sometimes I take less, some days even none! But I find that Xanax does for me what adderall does for children suffering add. For some reason the drug helps me have precision focus, a clear mind, better communication, rapid fire thought processing, and motivation - just for starters. I don't expect to take it for the rest of my life, but I go thro prolonged periods of anxiety and antisocial behavior (will urinate in bottles in my room when at my worst). Glad to know there are a few people who Experience the same effects using Xanax as Maintenance. It's been a life saver for me! Curious to understand why it has this off label effect on us select few."

Greggery June 22, 2016

Greggery (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I have been taking Alprazolam for about 10 years. I started with 0.5 mg daily as needed. But my anxiety, panic attacks and depression got worse . My doctor increased to 0.5 mg twice a day. It worked for a short period of time. Now I feel so terrible than I take 1 mg 3 times a day sometimes 4 mg a day. Anxiety still present with panick attacks. The doctor added Lexapro 10 mg daily; I could divide 5 mg am and 5 mg pm. I have moments of tranquility but they are short. I tried meditation, soft music (makes more depressed). I have no family members and basically no friends. No energy or desire to do things I used to like. I stay at home most of the time, affraid of drive. I don't have money to see a counselor, only every 3 months to psychiatrist"

hannsue June 21, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "im 17, i love xanax.. but i know its bad for me. i stopped taking it for a while, but now i want to buy 4 and take them slowly. i used to be bad on the, i would take about 8-10 bars. idk how much mg that is, im prtty sure it was like 1mg or 2 mg each. i loved the feeling, and i want that feeling. but i know it would make me forget things, really bad, i wouldnt remember anything that happened that day, i would black out, getting myself into trouble. fighting, stealing, like i was invinsible.. i miss the drug. i took them illegally. but i just loved being barred out.. but i cant do it, its best for me to stay away because i was extremely addictedd..."

nonibug June 21, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for : "Never get started on this drug , I warn you ! Yes I give it a 10 but its something you should take every once in awhile never longer than 2-3 months at a time, I'm 100% dependent on these pills, have been for a decade and it started at a routine check up! The worst addiction I've ever seen. And I'm a recovering herion addict. That wasn't easy but a cake walk to ever getting off xanax. I'm on 1 mg 3x a day today, just like I was 10 years ago. If my Dr even mentions trying to stop giving me this medicine I freak out when I don't have xanax to feel "normal" iihave seizures, chronic pain, its horrible! However i have to have these pills, and pharmaceutical companies knew what they were doing . ever watch MTV. I swear every TV show mentions Xan"

Kylijah (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have been suffering from panic attack since 2013 and was kept on Xanax .5mg TDS really its the drug which can enhance the Quality of life. Even though we have the xanax regularly but some times panics and anxiety comes, i though to cure anxiety off when met to psychiatrist he prescribed Zoloft 50mg once a day along woth clonazipam .25mg at bed time, having satarted that panics came with great intensity i left both Zoloft and Revotril and rejoin Xanax the problem solver... Thx Almighty who has put lots of benefits in Xanax..."

Khan Baba June 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been taking this medicine Alprazolam since November 2015 (0.5mg) as needed for my generalized anxiety disorder. I don't need to take it all the time just on those really bad days I need the help. In between those times I've used essential oils as well to keep my anxiety at bay while I'm working because I operate heavy machinery. But this medicine has helped me a lot. I personally don't find it habit forming. I like that fact this just takes the edge off and not make me feel like a zombie. I only take it when I'm home. Thanks for listening!"

holliG87 June 13, 2016