User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Anxiety 5.6
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 5.8 1,002 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

NatS · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “I’ve been taking Vistaril for anxiety on and off for years. More consistently for the past two years, it truly does help with anxiety, and is far safer than Benzo’s. I got hooked on benzos and had to withdrawal over a year- that was fun (insert sarcasm). The only negative I can list for Vistaril, is that the day after I take a Vistaril (I only take PRN) I’m in the worst mood. I even tell my husband, I had a vistaril yesterday, so leave me be. (32y/o female). You’re not alone. :) God bless.”

Too tired to get up · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

For Sedation: “I was prescribed 25 mg Hydroxyzine to help me sleep. The first day I took it couldn't get out of bed the next day after I woke up I felt so tired and had zero energy. It was bad. So I waited for 2 weeks and tried it again and the same thing happened. I can't live my life this way. I'd rather go without a good nights sleep that dealing with that.”

Ptsd · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

For Anxiety: “I suffer from from a Traumatic brain injury. This medicine hydroxycine has really helped me in so many ways I can describe. I would definitely recommend giving it a try. So glad I could find something that’s not Benzo related and works because those others meds out there are a nightmare to get off. This you only take it if you need it.”

Stephie · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed hydroxyzine to take as needed for anxiety. I took it once and it did not work at all. It didn't make me feel sleepy at all and it didn't help my anxiety, it made my anxiety a thousand times worse and I had a panic attack that lasted about 3 hours and I would not calm down. It didn't help me cope, it cancelled out my ability to cope”

Ian · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “Hydroxyzine is Vile. I’ve been suffering from severe allergies to my emgality injections so am trying to find a safe effective medicine for rashes and pain. I took a 25mg capsule and felt ok for 4 hrs after. Just tired. By the 6th hour my face, chest and neck were beet red. Breathing was labored all into the night. Felt just like a Zyrtec overdose. 24 hrs later it seems to be out of my system.”

Insomniac · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have had insomnia for the past 14 months. I have been to two sleep specialist. I have tried all kinds of drugs and I also I tried CBTI and meditation. I am 70 years old. Just last week my sleep doctor finally prescribed this hydroxyzine for me. I take 10 mg at bedtime – literally at bedtime, It works within 15 to 20 minutes.I cannot believe the difference it has made. I sleep through the night, prior to this if I slept at all I had at most six hours. I could easily sleep eight hours now. I wake up feeling very good. I’m taking nothing else with it. It’s not been quite a week yet, and I hope to continue this fabulous response. I had never heard of it before this, but I would suggest if you have problems with sleep and you might ask your doctors to let you try it. From my reading there are no long-term side effects, and no withdrawal symptoms. It is so much better than taking diazepam or Ambien.”

Henry May 10, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Allergic Urticaria: “About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I started to get itchy after taking bath, I was very very itchy. My whole body was itchy and I was about to go crazy, It was like thousands of ants were running in my skin. It was very awful. I ran to the drug store and bought Hydroxyzine 25mg and hopefully this medication helped me. I've been taking it daily.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “Was prescribed 10mg Atarax tablets with directions to take 1-2 as every 6 hours as needed for anxiety and panic attacks. Taking 1 pill did nothing, so I took 2 the next time I felt anxiety creeping in. It made me very tired and dizzy, then sent me into a panic attack. I am better off not taking this medication when I feel anxiety coming on because it usually does not develop into a panic attack, let alone as worse as this one got.”

Jake · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

For Anxiety: “I been on hydroxyzine 50mg for about a month now wicked dreams good and bad lol. But that's normal for an antihistamine. My lexapro gave me a huge panic attack hydroxyzine 50mg did nothing 100mg took edge off. I'm still taking it with clonidine idk which one is working better but I know if I'm having a moment I'll take 100 mg it seems to do ok . Idk I just been feeling weird and haven't been sleeping well. My pcp labeled me as an addict so I cant get what really works (benzos,) anyway it helps enough to get me by until i see a psych doctor.”

Stylist1 · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed hydroxyzine 50 mg to sleep. I took only half, and I had the worst night of my life. I woke up with a sharp pain in my lungs. Since then, I have shortness of breath, which ended up in Costochondritis.”

Mimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2020

For Allergic Urticaria: “I always had allergies but recently developed have whole body allergic reactions, from foods and food additives. Such as hives, face and lips, swelling, red skin, rashes and diarrhea. I had to take daily numerous does of Benadryl and Zyrtec. From the very first dose I took at night of 50 mg hydroxyzine I got a wonderful deep and restful full night of sleep. Instead of having my allergic reactions waking me up after a few hours of sleep.”

CurlyHurly · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “I was taking Atarax before going to sleep 5 years ago and taking sertraline (in the morning). Then one day I got mixed up took Atarax instead of sertraline (they look a like) I was ready to go to sleep in the middle of the mall. This drug made me very sluggish and just straight up sleepy. Wouldn't recommend operating while on it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

For Allergic Urticaria: “My dr prescribed 50 mg hydroxyzine for itchiness. Didn't seem to help much at all. Benadryl worked just as well. But my goodness, the awful drowsiness the next day was crazy! I took it at 8pm and the next morning at 8am couldn't open my eyes. Went back to bed at 10am and slept till afternoon. Got up after 12 but was still so sleepy. I am a homeschooling mom with 4 boys. I definitely cannot take this again.”

lennon · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “Take when having a particularly anxious day. Makes me feel drowsy and relaxed. This medication does a good job of easing intrusive thoughts correlated with OCD when I’m having a hard day.”

Dandi · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “This medicine Atarax is useless for anxiety. All it did was dry me out. I have Sjögren’s syndrome and this is not a medication to be taken if you already have that immune system disorder.”

Rmr · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

For Allergies: “Works good for my allergies, anxiety, and sleeping problems.”

Macy · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2020

For Interstitial Cystitis: “I have interstitial cystitis and my urologist put me on 100mg hydroxyzine at bedtime, after having to stop amitriptyline due to high blood sugar. I've been sleeping but am having the worst pain and frequency all day which normally isn't a problem for me. I usually have a lot of pain in the early morning hours. I've been hurting all day! I read that hydroxyzine helps IC, the opposite with me”

Cindy · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Pruritus: “I have been taking 25 mg of Atarax up to four times a day for 30 years.. I was given this because of my constant itching and rashes. It has saved my life. I have allergy's to so many things. When I'm stung by an insect or come in contact with an allergy trigger I take a higher dose and it has saved me from using a epi pen. I also have used it to sleep. I don't have anxiety. Perhaps Atarax is why. I don't have trouble with sleepiness on the lower dose. So I function fine in the day time when I take it. Your body gets used to it.”

Laura · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2020

For Anxiety: “Been taking hydroxyzine 25 mg 3x a day for a few days and it’s just making me tired. Trying to give it a chance to get better but probably will be asking my doctor to try something different next visit”

Readergirl3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been suffering from severe anxiety attacks Since last February I believe caused by my stressful job as the line cashier in a very busy retail/discount store. Dizziness followed by projectile vomiting for several hours. At first I thought this Med was working but now I think it makes me even more dizzy and anxious. I have also not been able to lose the 10 lbs I have been trying to lose although reduced my calories down to 1350/day and exercising daily. This is my fifth day not taking the Visteril at all and I am much more clear headed. Anxiety is such an awful thing to have. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I ended up quitting said job and have now been off work for two months. I am close to retirement anyway and just trying to take care of myself. Especially my mental health.”

anxious annie February 28, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “my dr prescribed me this Vistaril and I hate it. Does absolutely nothing for panic attacks. It didn’t even make me drowsy like Benadryl does. I upped the dose and nothing happened. Pretty pointless medication”

LoonyKlepto · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

For Anxiety: “Doesnt work for my anxiety. I still feel completely anxious when I go to class, and completely alert and aware as if I hadn't taken any prescription. I take three 25mg tablets in the morning before class and nothing. Only the first time did I feel better and less anxious.”

Milmil4248 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2020

For Anxiety: “Was prescribed hydroxyzine as an alternative to Xanax for anxiety. In my experience it doesn’t help with an anxiety attack that’s already in progress, however it does help with stopping that on the edge feeling that anxiety gives especially at night (were my anxiety is the highest). However prepare to be very tired and wanting to sleep, I haven’t had any dreams or anything similar that others have referenced. It also really does help with allergies and especially Itchiness that I get when at the gym.”

Reb · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

For Sedation: “I was prescribed hydroxyzine to help me stay asleep through the night. I was told to take one 10 mg tablet before bed and increase it to two 10 mg tablets if needed. After taking just one 10 mg tablet I woke up so fatigued I couldn't function. I was falling asleep while eating breakfast (my head was falling onto the table and I was falling asleep). Sitting up felt like it took too much energy even. This fatigue lasted the whole next day. It was miserable. So, I tried taking two and woke up fatigued again. I could barely keep my eyes open all day....even right after waking up from 8 hrs of sleep. I haven't seemed to be any calmer when taking it. It does help a bit with my sinusitis though, but not much and it's not worth the extreme fatigue I feel the next day. I did stay asleep through the night more, but what good is that if the meds make me so fatigued the next day that I can't really function?”

Tranquilthought · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: “I have suffered extreme anxiety, panic disorder, and PTSD. I've been using this for over a week now (Prescribed at up to 100mg a day as needed but the highest dose I've taken has been 75mg). Just messing around with dosage to figure it out. This has been my saving grace for the time I've been in it. I'm glad it's not a benzo as I had a hard time coming off of it. With Vistril my panic attacks are fewer now in the week that I've been taking it. I do recommend this medication because I believe it fully works for anxiety. At least for mine :-)”