User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 27 reviews 53 medications

Pain 17 reviews 1123 medications

5.5
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 558 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "Worst medication experience! I was prescribed this drug for a panic attack that would subside. The pill was hydroxyzine 25 mg.. I took half of it as I'm leery of side effects to medication. It first felt like everything was okay. I went to sleep and it all started there. I had some of the vivid dreams. I would luckily be awakened by my surroundings. I would then get in bed and lay there. I felt paralyzed. Like my brain couldn't make my body do anything like raise my arm. I hallucinated and heard voices. I decided I couldn't go back to sleep after that. I woke up but felt as I was floating. I remember trying to focus but was looking for imaginary things. It literally felt like I was dreaming while awake. It was terrifying. Do not recommend!"

LadyEdith56789 June 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "Get off the Klonopin. It gone off the shelf for Veterans.You don't need it, try the hydroxyzine medication"

grochapw June 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Only giving this drug a 5/10 because it has only been about a week and most medications work well for the first week. However, at the moment things are going much better for me! I was at a point where I was crying and snapping at people almost constantly. I'm now taking 25mg of vistaril in the morning and 0.5mg klonopin before bed. The vistaril doesn't make me tired at all, just strangely calm (not in a tranquilized way) and the klonopin helps me actually sleep. For now, this seems to be a great medication and a great combination as well."

Hfgvxstibvt36hsjp June 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Its my first time using any sort of drug for anxiety. The doctor gave me a 10mg sized Atarax and it only made me feel sleepy. I still felt nervous and anxious over my work and these feelings didn't go away. Maybe I should be taking 25mg like the others here. Either way this 10mg capsules are suppose to last me until I go for my appointment with a professional pychiatrist."

Aryesi June 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Started having really bad anxiety & panic attacks which I ended up in the ER for. I was given xanax which helped out tremendously and I was fine for a long time. Then I had another really bad panic attack and ended up back in the ER. I was then prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg to take four times a day as needed which I ended up needing to take the following day because I had another panic attack IT DID NOTHING. The next day I had one at work at took another, since I was told to try it four times a day I figure maybe I would take one every 6 hours to see if maybe it can prevent a panic attack from even starting but NOPE! This medicine does nothing for me and with my anxiety and panic attacks it feels like I'm having mini heart attacks. I rather take the xanax"

PanicMandy June 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I absolutely love this medicine. .. It seems like it's the only one that helps, it will make u sleepy and I also feel less hungry..."

Shortness of breath (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I've struggled with Anxiety my whole life I've tried SSRI and Benzodiapams they SSRI's made me sick and sluggish and benzos are severely addicting and I refuse to become addicted to something. Vistaril works great for me as you take it longer you won't be very sleepy. I take 10mg at night and only need it at night sometimes in the day and it lasts. I have no panic attacks. Hardly ever. I went from having panic attacks daily to one every once in a while. I love this medication ."

Jillybean4207 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 27, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I've had generalized anxiety for about ten years, with some panic attacks. Ended up in the ER twice in three days and saw a Dr. He prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg twice a day. Being fearful of pills, it took me a few days to give it a shot as I know many people with high anxiety are afraid of pills also and effects. I started slow and took 10mg and besides a few hot flashes an hour in ,it made me tired but relaxed. I slept fine and had no problems. I took another again today, same dose and was tired not long after. This was during the morning and I ended up literally going in and out of sleep for hours on end, hearing everything but also not awake, very strange. Anxiety a bit better, yes. Give it a try"

GADgrl May 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "horrible medication! Was given this antihistamine for anxiety, it gave me hallucinations and nightmares about people dying and cartoon animal trying to kill me. The feeling didn't go away the next day. It took me two days to get it out of my system. Worst medication ever!!!!"

sammy555 May 24, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I've been on this drug for two days for anxiety. It's helped me tremendously already. I've never taken anything else and I've had anxiety for 10+ years, until this last serious episode that developed into panic attacks, that's why I finally decided to try something. After two days I already feel way more control of my thoughts. I'll still get anxious but it's way more manageable now. I've also noticed on this site that the negative reviews seem to be people who have already had xanax or something prior to this drug. If your thinking about this before anything else I recommend trying it. I had the prescription for two weeks before my Dr. convinced me to try. Wish I had two weeks ago."

AnxiousE (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Took this medicine for 6 months for panic attacks it helped tremendously at first but soon it stopped helping the panic so I'd take way more than directed thinking it was the dose but then after I was told I could overdose and die taking too much. I stopped taking so much and taking just the recommended dose just began making me severely drowsy."

Peach99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Did not help even a little for my panic attacks and anxiety. In fact it caused my depression to relapse after years of being ok."

Ry34 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This pill is extremely helpful. I had very bad anxiety due to my friend passing away, stress at work, and some family issues. I was to the point that I was about to slap everybody at work, just from being overwhelmed and a few peoples negative intentions. Before taking this medication I would barely sleep at night, tossing and turning. It's been 3 days now and I already see improvement on how I feel and my attitude over all. I'm starting to not allow work get to me and raise my blood pressure. I feel more relaxed and calmer now, and able to sleep through the whole night. I feel great and I'm so surprised because last week I was borderline depressed."

RockettPower May 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Been on visaril for a week now! Believe me when I say my anxiety was over the top before this,now it's manageable and it has increased my appetite which is a good thing for me! I'm not used to taking anything at all for any reason because of the adverse effects from the big pharmaceutical industry games that keep you sick! Vistaril however I have 0 regrets because it's less likey to cause even a mental addiction, let alone a physical one! Its been very helpful for me but do keep in mind that everyone reacts differently than others! I find it very helpful for me!"

Tina57 May 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Makes me tired and dizzy, I can not breastfeed my son. Do not like this I'd rather take xanax"

Alinaafsfv May 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Prescribed instead of usual xanax for anxiety. 25mg, up to three times a day a day. Not sure who could take more than one of these during the day. Luckily I was at home and could take a nap. 2.5 hours later I woke up and was so groggy I could barely get out of bed. Had work related dinner that I attended, went to bed directly following the dinner and slept until about 4am. STILL not what I would consider alert and functioning. I'd rather have anxiety This stuff is NOT a substitute for xanax."

Themrs4 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed hydroxyzine and it does not help with anxiety at all. It takes an hour to kick in, but it does help with my allergies, which is an unnecessary plus."

War Vet (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I take 25 mg and it does not work. My Dr has prescribed it for 2 months now and I have told her that it don't work. I would rather have the xanax back."

Ccjr43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Been on vistaril for a month. Works fine for me. Finally getting a full night sleep. I feel so much better awakening in the morning."

Special K1029 May 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I just got done taking this medicine along with 2 melatonin. I usually need 4 melatonin to get to sleep. So if I need 2 more after an hour or so I will take them. Right now I am awake enough to work I am really relaxed. I am also on kolonopin 1mg or 1 and a half mg at the most it always helps me sleep. I might need that tonight to sleep. Hopefully this is enough. Anyways will write more tomorrow if this drug is any good. It feels like I am breathing a lot deeper or something but that could be normal. I am going to have my husband check on me. Anyways I'm falling asleep so I'll write more tomorrow. "

TextingPhoneGirl82 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been suffering from "AAD" & Panic Disorder for most of my life. Took my 1st "classic" panic attack in the 5th grade!!! I was Finally diagnosed at 23. I'm have been treated with xanax, clonopin and ativan for this awful condition ever since. I am now 43. Because of all the Abuse of these meds though by people that don't need it for anything except to "get high" makes me furious!!! Because where I live in N.J.,no kind of doctor wants to prescribe any kind of benzo anymore. It's awful because these meds help so many people. I was just yanked, not weaned, off the xanax and given Vistaril 100mg 3 times a day. This is the Most awful medication I have ever taken In my life!!! I had such horrible S/E's I went to the E.R.!!! TERRIBLE MED!!!"

PanicAnxietyMess May 2, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Very bad! Do not use! Gave blisters on palette mouth feels like it is on fire, very miserable does nothing for anxiety or sleep, check out before you use this medication.."

vavette April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine has been a miracle for my anxiety. I was having chest pain so bad I couldn't breathe. Problems with my heart were ruled out and I was prescribed this medication. It helps me relax but doesn't make me groggy at all. I can still work and function in life. I also tend to get car sick so a positive side effect was that it helps with nausea. It also isn't addictive. My doctor said it could have side effects such as dry mouth, urinary retention, or blurred vision, but I have not experienced any of these side effects."

Sam1988 April 27, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have had bad PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks and it does work for me. I'm happy to hear it works for others, though."

Mgg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I had some sudden Insomnia problems this winter. Took a while to find out the underlying cause was anxiety. At first since I only thought it was Insomnia, the Ambien I got prescribed didn't work. I was going on 5 days with ONLY an hour of sleep so I visited a Psych. Vistaril worked that night and ever since. At first I took it as needed (2-3/day), then after a couple weeks I was just doing 1 at night for sleep. Crazy dreams similar to Benadryl. I ran out 3 weeks ago and wanted to see how I would fare. Not good. Just got it prescribed again and looking to jump back into a proper sleep cycle and keep it as a safety stash. It's not 100%, there may be a night here & there, but it felt like a literal life saver rescuing me from 5sleepless days M/22"

jjpv305 April 22, 2017