User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 24 reviews 52 medications

Pain 14 reviews 1090 medications

5.4
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 436 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "I took this for a while. Have not taken it in like 1 year, boy can I tell a difference. When I do take it I'm calm and can sleep good. Needless to say that the past year I've had major anxiety attacks, I'm going to ask my Dr to prescribe them again since it seems to calm me down."

Gin2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I take 200 mgs at night, it lets me sleep and calms down my mind. It also helps with my eczema and nasal congestion. Warning!!!Do not take this drug if u had or have any heart problems!!!"

Mike M. from California (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Sedation: "I was first introduced to Atarax when I was having trouble sleeping at the mental hospital/psych ward. I was only prescribed 50mg a day and it didn't really help with my sleeping issues. I stopped taking the medicine but one week I started getting really bad anxiety, to the point where I would feel like puking, I decided to take the pills again on 50mg. It helped a lot with anxiety and pretty quickly as well."

Edgemeister36 August 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "Here's what I have gathered so far. My quick background: doctor prescribed visatril and 20mg prozac. * I take 50mg every 4 hours * I have really bad hand tremors but I always have a slightly shaky hand so it doesn't bother me too much. * I also get sensitive hands because I can't stop squeezing my hands together and rubbing on it. * super dry mouth/constant thirst * easier time singing * I take 2 to sleep Along with other symptoms. But honestly being able to get out of bed and be able to say hi to my husband and greet teachers at my kids school without wanting to die is well worth the side effects. Although I think the side effects are just my body getting to do what it wants to do without my anxiety trying to suppress it"

Severe Social Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "My fiancé started this and within a day the worst experience ever. She is a zombie I can't talk to her. Tonight she wrecked our car with our baby inside, lost her phone drove off made it home and 2 hours later when I finally found her she acted like nothing happened. I have never seen her so low and completely out of it. She falls asleep walking"

Please don't take (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "Faithfully taking 25 mg/day with Prozac to help with anxiety and depression. I worry more now than ever. Not pleased with this new concoction."

Wifeywhatnots August 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 10 MG for my anxiety and panic attacks and to help me sleep. I like to use it when I just need to clear my head after a stressful day (don't take that the wrong way- I don't abuse it) to help me get to sleep. It usually puts me out pretty soon but latley it hasn't. Don't know what's up with that.."

Avery H August 18, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I've been take Atarax 50's 3x's daily PRN.. I also take Ativan.. but only if absolutely needed.. I have found that Atarax helps me emensely (sp).. It doesn't make me tired or groggy anymore.. It just calms me down when having some anxiety or feeling out of sorts with my mood.. It does a good job at leveling me out"

Joshy1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

For Allergies: "I love this medication, I have been in and out of hospital due to kidney problems. I can not take any opioids without getting hives this has worked beautifully as long as I take it beforehand I have no problems."

Buffye (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

For Sedation: "Have been taking 10mg for years on a semi regular basis. Only when I need a good sleep or if I slept poorly for a couple days. Don't notice the anti histamine effect, but do sleep well and rested. If nervous system is too aroused it doesn't always work. But for me, its good. Not much side effect apart from slight drowsiness but very short term on waking."

Eds mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 4, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It made me very sleepy. I didn't like feeling so tired. With other medications for anxiety I had more sense of calmness rather than just feeling loopy and tired. I won't use it again"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "Very happy with my experience taking 50 mg. as needed for anxiety and insomnia issues. This med takes the major edge off and calms me and I sleep well. I am also taking Lexapro, which controls my panic attacks but I still experience occasional episodes and this med is perfect. Gets a 10 as a non-addictive alternative to benzos!"

Kensington Eddington (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "Today I started taking my prescription Hydroxyzine 25 mg for anxiety. So far so good it's relaxing me which I love , I'm told that I can take it 3x daily if needed so far I only took 1 it has been 6hours as we speak. So I'm going to give it a 10"

Mrs.LaBrock (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

For Sedation: "I've taken this for about a month now, on and off. I went to the hospital because I was having chest pains and panic/anxiety attacks. The doctor prescribed this for me, and honestly it doesn't really help much. It doesn't really help my anxiety which has skyrocketed in the past few months. I'll take it and think that it's working, but ten minutes later I'm hysterical again. It does help make me kind of tired though, so I guess that's a good thing cause I usually only take it at night a few hours before bed because thats when my anxiety is the worst. I do agree that this helps me have more vivid dreams. If you have as bad anxiety as I do, I would reccomend something stronger."

Krisssss (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been taking hydroxyzine for social phobia and chronic anxiety and panic attacks for over 7 years. It is the only med that has helped. I tried everything! Helps with sleep. Works like a Xanax and klonopin where you take as needed. But I also take at night for sleep. I would definitely recommend!!!!"

Amonzo (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2016

For Sedation: "I'm giving this medication a 5 because, it did not help with sleep at all HOWEVER I found this medication very useful for nausea and dizziness. I occasionally get dizzy spells with nausea. I was told that when this happens I get small crystal formations inside my ear canal which cause the issue. I used to take Dramamine for it which helped some. I find that Hydroxyzine works much more efficiently. I recently was sick with food poisoning, LOTS of nausea almost 24 hours a day for nearly a week. This medication was a godsend for relieving the nausea."

Jwright7784 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have just started this med. This is day 3 of taking it and it has not helped with anxiety at all. In some ways it makes it worse. It clouds my head and not being able to think heightens my anxiety. It does although put me to sleep within a couple hours (Zzzquil does that job better though), but the anxiety stays present."

Jehremy (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

For Pain: "Finally a migraine preventative that works for me! I was having up to 10-15 migraines a month. None of the standard migraine preventatives worked well for me, or I had side effects that I could not tolerate. I have 2 levels of migraines -- those that Excedrin Migraine takes care of and the ones that need my triptan (Axert) medicine. Within a week of starting the hydroxyzine, my "low-level" migraines all but disappeared and I was down to 3-4 "triptan" headaches a month; the month after that the "triptan" headaches were gone. I haven't had a migraine-free stretch like that for over 15 years! The side effects have been minimal -- I was drowsy during the day for the first week, but that has gone away. On the plus side, I'm sleeping better too!"

scbs July 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "Ice been taking hydroxy 50mg for a month now for anxiety and it does calm me down and not to mention the itching every where i get on my body when being anxious. Love it i usually try and take it at bed time only cuz it does knock me out"

Cholostryanxious July 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffer from extreme panic attacks when being alone and I feel that all this medication did was make me extremely drowsy. The first two days I took this medication, all I could do and wanted to do was lie around. I had no motivation to do much and I felt on edge. Although it gave me a calming affect and helped my anxiety a little, I wish this wouldn't make me so drowsy. Will talk to doctor and hopefully be prescribed something different."

Warhawk1997 July 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was recently diagnosed with anxiety, like 1 month ago. I really thought I was going to die, anxiety was the worst thing that ever happened to me, it frustrated me to hear the doctors say just deep breath your not going to die, like they truly didn't understand the feeling, anxiety is the worst feeling ever, I cried 3 days straight constantly feeling like the air was being taken from me and just depressed it was hard to describe the amount of emotions I felt. My doctor prescribed this medication and to be honest it's the best thing that ever happened to me. From now and then I can feel my chest tightening but never as severe. I just want to let those who feel helpless know if I got through it you can to be strong you can do it"

mixie (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started taking this about a month ago because my anxiety gradually got so bad that I didn't sleep for a week. The first few nights it worked amazingly but it was difficult to wake up but then I'd be very alert and awake all day. However, my doctor told me to take it twenty minutes before bed and I would not feel the effect until much later. I actually took my dose about 40 mins ago and I'm just now starting to relax."

sleeplessdove July 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "Was prescribed hydroxyzine originally by a doctor who saw me in an ER for a panic attack. Since taking hydroxyzine everything has gotten worse. Even though I've stopped taking it, I'm still not back to where I was. Since taking hydroxyzine, I've hit an a new low & I'm having trouble coming back from it. While on hydroxyzine I thought I was going insane. Seeing things, hearing voices telling me to kill myself, paranoid to the point that I felt like people were following me & out to get me, started smoking, barely slept & always felt like a ticking time bomb. Quit my job outta nowhere because I couldn't handle anymore stress, getting outta bed every day was too hard. This medicine is horrible. Wouldn't recommend to anyone with depression/anxi"

akabrit94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've dealt with severe panic disorder my whole life, if i feel on the edge i will take the hydroxzine and it will take my anxiety down and help me rest. The down side is if i go into a severe panic attack it does nothing for me. I had to go to court so i took six 50mg (every 2 hours) it had no effect because i hate standing in front of people, i was still panicking. Where i live (and probably most places now) people take advantage of benzodiazepine and other drugs so no doctor will prescribe them to me. I am the exact person that needs them and i will not take advantage. I have never tried xanax because I don't take anything that's not prescribed to me, but I'm curious to see if it would work because I'm desperate."

anxiety ridden 04 July 9, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been struggling my entire life with mental health issues that I didn't realize were there. I have extreme anxiety and have always found it so hard to talk to people with out stuttering and feeling stupid. I experimented many different meds Vistaril seriously changed my life. I am so much happier and so much calmer than I've ever been, I feel like a new person."

Finally over July 3, 2016