User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Anxiety
5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 817 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "My doctor prescribed me 25mg hydroxyzine because I’m having up to 4 panic/ anxiety attacks weekly, and told me to take it as needed. I also take it with sertraline which is used for my depression. I’ve used it on several occasions both when I knew I would have a panic attack (night driving triggers it) or during a situation when I felt one coming on. When I took it during my panic attack, I honestly feel like it made the experience worse and more frightening. Maybe I need to take more than one at a time during an episode? However I did take one when I was feeling mildly anxious at work and within 20 minutes I was completely calmed down. No more racing thoughts, or fast heart beat. Only side effects I’ve had are slight drowsiness and on one occasion a headache. Going to stay on it with an optimistic attitude before I give up on it completely! :)"

simply stress (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2019

For Anxiety: "Usually hydroxyzine only makes me tired and slightly chill. It doesn't help at all with all of the anxiety with running in my mind. So I end up tired AND a nervous wreck."

Avril91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2019

For Allergies: "Was given this hydroxyzine for Poison Ivy rash and now the second day in, I can't walk or do anything, complete garbage. Worst case of cotton mouth ever, middle of night barely made it to water."

Angry (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I've been taking this medication for about a week now for severe anxiety and I will admit I can tell night and day when I take it (it works) however it makes me feel EXTREMELY fatigued. I could sleep all day when I take this stuff. Probably not the best solution for anyone with a lot of daily responsibilities. Other side effects I think have come along with it are dry mouth and increase in appetite. I don't remember being this hungry before. Would I recommend it? Ugh... I think the fact it eliminates my attacks pretty much all together is worth the cons I mentioned but I'm still gonna be trying some alternatives to see if theres something that doesn't make me feel as tired. Don't get me wrong, its not like you're gonna fall asleep out of the blue but once you do decide to sleep you're gonna wanna sleep way more than you need to."

SoCal84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2019

For Sedation: "I’m titrating off of Klonopin, a terrible drug, with awful side effects while on it, and in getting off of it. My Doctor has prescribed hydroxyzine 10mg f or during the taper which allows me to sleep soundly. I’m down on the Klonopin, and plan to reduce it again this month. My only complaint is being tired and sleepy for the entire next day. It’s very difficult at the gym to complete my workouts. Just researched the 1/2 lifetime of it. It is at the least 20 hours. I’m going to try taking it earlier at night. Hope this helps!"

Sleepless in NY (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2019

For Allergies: "My doctor prescribed 50mg hydroxyzine to reduce swelling in my hands and feet until he could research my meds to see if they were the cause of the intermittent pain and swelling. The swelling went down after a few days so I decreased the dose to 25mg. After only two doses the swelling came back. I resumed the 50mg. It was not my meds causing this so it’s either idiopathic or genetic angioedema."

Linda (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Vistaril for about 5 days as a replacement for Klonepin. I loved the low dose Klonepin but after several years it now has affected my short term memory. The Vistaril, since it is like an antihistamine, has such drying effects on me that I am always hoarse and have migraines due to dehydration. My anxiety is not severe but it does alter my personality when it's bad. I don't find that this rx helps me at all. I still have my anxiety ticks, chest pain and Shortnes Of Breath (SOB). Did this rx have a dehydrating effect on anyone else? I will try to take this at different times during the day to see if that helps."

Beth (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "Atarax makes me drowsy and tired"

radha (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2019

For Allergic Urticaria: "I have chronic urticaria and without this med hydroxyzine I would be dead. Makes me a little drowsy at time but over 6 years I have adapted to it."

Johnboy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2019

For Sedation: "This hydroxyzine was prescribed to me for anxiety and it makes me irritated and so sleepy. I could be in a deep sleep all day and all night which makes it hard for me to get up for work in the A.M. I'm supposed to take it 3x's a day (25mg) but one is enough! Hydroxyzine works great for insomnia, I give it that but for my anxiety not to good. I've had nights of just bad dreams kind of like the body is asleep mind still awake and it sucks."

mar23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2019

For Sedation: "I have used hydroxyzine to help with sleep ,insomnia and it works great when I’m tossing and turning too much at night. I don’t use it every day."

Bek (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "For me, after taking this medication as needed for 3 days I had no relief for my symptoms. I felt like this med intensified my panic attacks. It is just gloried Benadryl! Meditation, deep breathing exercises and a long warm bath worked better than this garbage!"

JessieLee May 4, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I took this pill too try in get a nap took it around 12pm and I was in bed until 2:05pm I didn't even fall asleep at all and I'm scared too even take this for tonight now I wanted a nap but nothing happened with it. Buspirone helped me sleep but it didn't keep me asleep I was waking up around 2am too 7am too early and couldn't fall back asleep and I'm A Disability person with Autism and a learning disability"

ernsberger55 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

For Anxiety: "Been taking the medication for only a short time. But felt a huge relief at just 10mg. I’m so grateful this medication has worked well for me so far. Would recommend this drug to people struggling with crippling anxiety, because it’s not addictive. I feel calm and relaxed, and not drowsy. It also helps me sleep."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

For Anxiety: "Have taken this off and on for a couple of months and had adverse reactions to it (just 25 mg) . Now that have anxiety I'm trying 10 mg and it is making me really tired during the day. The first night I took it around 2:00am so I thought that is why I'm tired but last night I took it around 9:00 and it kept me awake then kinda in dream state the rest of the night. I'm going to try it a little longer before I decide whether this is going to work or not. Kinda makes me a little depressed too."

smiley (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2019

For Anxiety: "I take this drug as needed along with an anti depressant and anti anxiety medicine. I am prescribed 50 mg of hydroxyzine. If I feel a panic attack coming or I am feeling very anxious, I take this drug. It does its job for me. However it does take a long time to fully kick in. On rare occasions I would have to take 2 pills. Sometimes that doesn’t work so I would have to take a klonopin but like I said that is rare. Generally I just take one and wait for it to kick in however I don’t love the side effects. It causes me to feel irritable. I get a very dry mouth and after I wake up from sleeping I feel dehydrated. Also this medication causes a ferocious appetite for me. It makes me binge eat. Luckily I do not take this everyday or else I would be enormous. I recommend this if you struggle with bad panic attacks or anxiety. It is a good replacement for benzos since they can be addicting. Some people need stronger, like sometimes I do. Everyone is different so it may not be for everyone."

Gene April 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "Okay so I have been taking 50mg every 6 hours for 4 days now. My panic attacks were horrible and honestly I didn't believe this would work for me. I will say that for the first 3 days I had a horrible headache. That's gone today. And I feel like a human being again finally. This medication is helping me so much. And not just with my anxiety but with my depression as well. I'm definitely a supporter now."

Feelingbetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Vistaril turned my vision blurry, had bad headaches and it didn't treat by anxiety symptoms that I took it for"

Arabj42069 April 14, 2019

For Anxiety: "My dr is stopping all benzos and opiates in his office. I would take .5 of Xanax as needed. They prescribed 25 mg of hydroxyzine instead for my anxiety, I took it once and it did nothing for me. A couple days later I thought I’d try 50mg and within 15 minutes, I felt some relief. Took it later as prescribed and I got so foggy and anxious! Totally so disappointed! I tried yesterday and today at work. I was so panicky and confused that I ended up on the floor today trying to do stretching and muscle relaxation. My face was bright red and my eyes were glassy. They thought I needed an ambulance. I did my stretches etc and tried to go back to work but it was still the same. I finally said to myself I need relief! I took a benzo I still had from my last script and within 15 minutes, I felt some relief. I could think clearly and relaxed a bit. I can’t see me taking it again since it did nothing for me for my anxiety except for that first time."

Patty April 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "Avoid hydroxyzine if you want to preserve your IQ. It's for very, very specific allergies and has absolutely no place in the treatment of anxiety. Over regulation is poisoning the public with chemicals like Hydroxyzine, leaving them sick. It's worthless and very likely to aggravate your symptoms instead of help. I know it's too late if you're reading this but STOP! Don't take this garbage for your anxiety!! Fair warning."

Your nickname April 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 50mg at night for insomnia. It really does help the insomnia. However I have been suffering from relentless panic attacks non-stop all day. The night before yesterday I didn't take it because I forgot and didn't want to take it too late and be groggy in the morning and yesterday I felt great all day, not a hint of a panic attack. Last night took it and today sweating palms and panic attack and mental fog all day. I think for me its causing panic attacks the following day and making me less productive at work. I'm going to talk about it with the doctor and see what they say."

Anxious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

For Anxiety: "Prior to taking lexapro (10 mg) and hydroxyzine (50 mg), my anxiety and insomnia were out of control. Now I take lexapro in the morning and hydroxyzine at night, and I am able to function like a normal human being during the day and actually fall asleep at night. I used to lay awake all night stressing about not being able to sleep, but now I can actually fall asleep and it has been a total game changer. Originally was taking hydroxyzine in combination with trazadone (50 mg) to combat my insomnia, but this proved to be way too much medication for me. I would have intense nightmares and sleep paralysis, and extreme difficulty getting up in the morning. I had to call out of work when I first started this combination because I could not get out of bed. Sticking with just hydroxyzine has been doing the trick."

funsize (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for anxiety (25mgx4), I was previously on buspur. The day after I started taking this I started to get really sick. I didn’t want to get out of bed, I felt so fatigued, dehydrated, headaches, black diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and sometimes pains when breathing, nausea, hot&cold chills. I didn’t realize it was the medication at first, I thought I just got really sick, yet nobody else in my household was ill. So it was strange (1 gets it, we all get it). So after the 6th day I thought maybe it was the medicine. It made me severely sick. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital I could hardly eat even. The day I stopped taking it my symptoms subsided substantially, the 2nd day of not being on it I had no more symptoms and was completely back to normal."

User101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

For Sedation: "After the death of my brother, I would just lay in bed at night and cry while I relived the whole situation over. OTC medications that make you sleepy didn't help. I was prescribed 25mg. The first 2 or 3 nights I didn't think it was working. I still was staying awake for hours after getting in bed. I started taking it about 2 hrs before bedtime, and I am now falling asleep within 30 mins of being in bed. My anxiety related to my brother's passing is not gone, but with a full nights sleep I can manage my anxiety better. Also I have never in my life dreamed this much and remembered them. I don't know if it is the medicine or if I am just sleeping good enough to dream. They are pleasant dreams, so they are welcomed."

Bri March 31, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Helps with panic attacks except it makes me very irritable. It feels like I am going to snap soon"

E (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019