User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 27 reviews 53 medications

Pain 16 reviews 1118 medications

5.6
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 534 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "I have had bad PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks and it does work for me. I'm happy to hear it works for others, though."

Mgg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I had some sudden Insomnia problems this winter. Took a while to find out the underlying cause was anxiety. At first since I only thought it was Insomnia, the Ambien I got prescribed didn't work. I was going on 5 days with ONLY an hour of sleep so I visited a Psych. Vistaril worked that night and ever since. At first I took it as needed (2-3/day), then after a couple weeks I was just doing 1 at night for sleep. Crazy dreams similar to Benadryl. I ran out 3 weeks ago and wanted to see how I would fare. Not good. Just got it prescribed again and looking to jump back into a proper sleep cycle and keep it as a safety stash. It's not 100%, there may be a night here & there, but it felt like a literal life saver rescuing me from 5sleepless days M/22"

jjpv305 April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Amazing. Absolutely give this a chance if you suffer from anxiety. On prozac 20mg daily, ativan as needed, and vistaril. When my anxiety sky rockets and my mind races so fast I don't know what I'm thinking, vistaril has brought my mind and anxiety to a calm state within minutes. Life saving"

AnxietyDepression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Vistarip is VERY helpful for my PTSD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and some of my depression coming from my anxiety. This medication for anxiety works wonders for me and I would definitely recommend using it. I use 50mg every 6 hrs during the day (3X daily) is the prescribed dosage.. It keeps me calm and collected without having so much panic! It definitely relieves anxious tension!!! :)"

RoxyFoxy17 April 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "At first I was on 25mg as needed and took it about an hour or so before bed to help me "turn off" my mind and help me sleep a bit. The next morning 10+ hours after taking the pill, I was a walking zombie until well into the afternoon. My dosage was lowered to 10mg and although I didn't have the major day after drowsiness it still helped me sleep. I took it during the day and it felt like I took several Benadryl's and I was unable to function for the afternoon because I was so drowsy. Good thing I was at home when I took it. Unfortunately, although it did help me sleep, it didn't do much to calm my anxiety. I took it at the start of an anxiety attack and 40 minutes into it I was still having symptoms."

Plum94 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Meh. In the past, I'd very occasionally taken valium and mostly klonopin for panic attacks and night terrors. My prescriber switched me due to the addictive nature of benzos, as well as their tendency to increase the likelihood of age-related cognitive impairments like Alzheimer's and dementia. I'm not thrilled with the results. I take 25mg of hydroxyzine maybe a few times a month. Where the klonopin had a very clear and palpable effect in reducing my anxiety, I still question whether the new medication is doing anything at all. Man, it's 2017--you'd think by now they could make a non-addictive drug that can alleviate anxiety effectively without making you senile! Am I asking too much?"

Douchet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Definitely helped keep me asleep, but when I woke up the next morning, the first morning void (urination) was painful from not going during the middle of the night! Plus, I had a groggy, hangovers like feeling the entire next day. Skipped a day to make sure the Atarax was the reason, then when I took it again, same exact thing. It doesn't knock you out, but it does help with nocturnal. At this point, I'd rather wake in the middle of the night to void instead of waking up in so much pain with a hangover that I didn't at least enjoy getting. Plus, holding it in increases your UTI chances, and those are doubly not fun with IC."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for my anxiety, my doctor gave me the 50 MG. First of all it takes way too long to kick in atlas 30-45 minutes. It also makes me sleepy and when I wake up the next morning it's so hard to get out of the bed, I can barely keep my eyes open the whole next day and feel groggy all day. I would say it doesn't really help with anxiety at all it's basically just a sleeping pill."

MBrooke44 April 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I used it to help me sleep, and it did help me sleep. But it gave me the worse nightmares. And wouldn't let me wake up."

Teenage psycho April 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this medication for anxiety and it did not help at all."

Anonymous April 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Well I have started this medication not too long ago. The first few days it seemed to have made my body numb and sleepy which made me sleep a lot. It didn't really help me stay asleep because I still woke up several times at night. Nowadays when I take it, makes me extremely drowsy, and I have dry mouth and don't eat as much.I feel as if though I'm always on the edge. I don't think it got rid of anxiety and for sure I am terrified to even go out to places fearing for a panic attack episode. So this medicine doesn't make me feel safe as I'd wish it to."

Teenage girl (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "been on Hydroxyzine Pamoate capsule and it does not help with my anxiety."

joeh2os06 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Was put on this temporarily for anxiety but it doesn't work for me!! No relief from my anxiety whatsoever and it made me slightly sleepy...I'm not sure why this is even considered anti-anxiety?! It's basically Benadryl!!! I think it's prescribed over other meds because it's not addicting, which is a plus lol"

Wca8806 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "it did the worst for me. I have panic attacks every morning. All it did for me was keep me up all night. Never will use again. Bad stuff"

bad redhead (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I take Hydeoxzine HCLfor anxiety. I have to take a higher dose for it to work (100mg 3x a day). I have severe anxiety to the point it makes me vomit and I end up having a panic attack. I can't take a benzo as I have a addictive personality. The Hydroxyzine does work for me somewhat in the sense that it makes me kinda numb. I get super calm and relaxed. If your psychiatrist/doctor suggest that you take it for anxiety or something like that make sure you get the Hydroxyzine HCL brand and not the Hydroxyzine Pamoate. There is a big difference or that's what my doctor told me anyways. The HCL brand is more for anxiety and the Pamoate brand is more for allergies and things like that."

TyAR352 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Urticaria: "This medication is only a sleeping pill and doesn't stop the itch, but gives you an itch all day. If you don't take zyrtec or similar med doing the day, you'll still be itching. This medicine is useless."

Soso bree March 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Vistaril usually takes about an hour to kick. its nice to take at the onset of anxiety. With that being said, I don't know if it actually calms my anxiety as much as just makes me sleepy. I will fall asleep within 2 hours of taking it. I avoid taking it now because I don't want to sleep all the time."

sp1999 March 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "My mother has cancer. With that she has anxiety. The Dr prescribed her vistaril 25mg. Granted it kinda helps anxiety but it contributes to hallucinations. When I leave her off of it she has anxiety when she takes it, her dreams are vividly real. Weigh your options or decrease dosage but if a loved one is taking this medication before mental diagnosis try replacing or removing this drug for at least 48 hrs."

Vyxen March 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Initially, 25 mg 3xd worked pretty well for me, but the effectiveness lessened somewhat after a few weeks. Then the doc changed the prescription to 25mg every 4 hrs as needed. That was ok during a bad couple of weeks, but then I began to notice myself getting irritable, which I think might have been from being so tired on it. When the anxiety got better I really noticed the irritability, which I got anyway with unmedicated anxiety. I was on it for about 3 months. I now haven't taken it for 2 days and I expect I'll only take it selectively from now on."

Abla576 March 15, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I am 26 years and have been prescibed this medication for anxiety. I took it for the first time yesterday at around 2pm. I watched TV for about 20 mins and found it extremely hard to keep my eyes open at all. I fell asleep and didn't wake up until around 7pm. I woke up, had a snack, and fell back asleep until 5am. I was up for an hour and felt weak and had no energy. I went back to sleep (I tried my hardest to stay awake). It is now 3:30pm the next day and I feel groggy, weak, and still so tired. Needless to say that will be the first and last time I take it."

Amanda F. March 11, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I've been taking this med for more than a year. My mental health provider gave me this after she took away my clanazipan. I take 75 my a couple hours before bed and I love how it makes fall asleep. I do wake up a couple times a night but I don't stay up for a couple hours like I used to. I easily fall back to sleep."

Jode Pode March 11, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pruritus: "I'm 64. I was badly bitten by mosquitos last October, and this seems to have triggered extreme itching of my back, abdomen, scalp and - er - undercarriage. My GP precribed Loratidine and a menthol cream with absolutely no effect. Now we are trying Atarax and Eurax cream. The sedative effect of the Atarax gave me a good night's sleep last night, but itching cometh again in the morning. Will I be cursed with this for ever? My back looks as if I have been in a fight with a barbed wire fence. With hot-flushy menopause skin, I don't like using a cream..."

Pruritis March 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Was given this medication for anxiety. Didn't help. Made me sleep all the time. Bad case of dry mouth and extreme mood swings. Had to stop taking it."

Ccaseortiz1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I started this medication a few months back when I was taken off of ativan and it has helped a lot as both a sleep aid and anxiety reliever :) it does make me sleepy after I wake up but that normally goes away after an hour or so"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This drug only "numbs" you. My anxiety is not better or worse. I have been taking it for maybe 2 years"

Luv2cheer28spam February 27, 2017