User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 5.9 884 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Mbminga · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was given Vistaril for severe GAD with panic attacks. Very soon after taking the first one my anxiety tripled and I began having back to back panic attacks. After a call to the doctor I was told to take a higher dose. Long story short, for whatever reason, I can not take this medication. It has the complete opposite effect on me as it should."

Lis · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

For Anxiety: "This company wants you to leave a review as they like, but have to say this medication I stared to make me feel like I wanted to run, the anxiety was so extreme and I was just talking to my self. What is wrong with me because, I just took my medicine right, guess what, I was having a rash for a week, but did not put together. Then I stop all my meds, and took hydroxyzine 75mg . The anxiety was really bad, I developed hives, was no longer a rash. Plus gain weight, like I need more pounds. Read, read, read before you take any medication. Don't believe all they say it will do. The info is there, read it, please!!!!"

Mlynn · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I recently had anxiety trigger for me and I had a very scary panic attack that woke me from a dead sleep. My GP prescribed Atarax 10 mg form. I do not take anything regularly so I was a tad apprehensive. However I was reading and saw that people take much more higher doses on the medication, so I assumed it wasn’t going to work - wrong It takes a little bit to get the full effect but once it happens I was out like a light. I also woke up a little groggy, but my day has been better than ever. I slept finally fully and o didn’t have tightness of chest at work or during the day. 10mg is plenty and I didn’t have any weird dreams or side effects. I will say just having the bottle provided me calmness before I went to bed. I look forward to another night of rest."

Lil · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "This worked wonders for me. I take hydroxyzine for sleeping/panic attacks so when I was sick the past couple weeks, I would take hydroxyzine when I needed to. The nausea went away about 15 mins after I first took it. I didn’t know it was was the hydroxyzine that helped so I continued to suffer until a large storm rolled in (I’m terrified of storms). I took another 75 mg of hydroxyzine to calm myself down and whew, the nausea was completely gone so I knew that it was the hydroxyzine. I’m almost at 2 weeks with no break in the nausea until I take hydroxyzine. It’s gonna be a weird convo with my doctor about needing a full up."

danni R · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

For Anxiety: "This drug hydroxyzine worked for my anxiety, however it caused bad nausea and dizziness the following day, even when taking a half dose. It sucks to find something that works but the side effects were anxiety invoking themselves. I had to stop it."

rain · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was given this for anxiety, I was originally given 10mg and told to take 1 a day at night, it worked for a little while but stopped, so they upped me to 50mg (!!!!) Last night I took half of the 50mg (25mg) pill because I was nervous about taking the whole thing, (I'm underweight) and I wake up this morning feeling hyperfocused on some things, not focused at all on others, SEVERELY anxious about some things and not anxious at all with others. I slept until noon (that never happens, I'm usually up between 6-8AM), it is 3pm right now and I could definitely fall asleep but I'm forcing myself not to. I don't enjoy this pill, it's making me feel funky and my motor skills are off and my brain is fuzzy, I have worse racing thoughts and its like my panic disorder is worse. I'm sick right now too, and I'm already washing all of my bedding and I want to peel my skin off and wash it from the inside out. It's frustrating."

Moon · Taken for 10 years or more August 31, 2019

For Sedation: "I've been using hydroxyzine for about 20 yrs. I take 75 mg at night for sleep. I am a tall woman and a bit overweight so I may be able to take more. It use to take it about 2 hrs to kick in though, but then fell asleep within 10 min. I had no drug hangover in the morning and slept sound. However, here I am all these years later and I think my body has gotten use to it and it barely helps me now. My Dr wants me to go on something else. When it worked, it was the best, having been on other things before."

drugs123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2019

For Anxiety: "I think that this is an amazing drug for individuals who have yet to be on a Benzo. I am seeing a lot of reviews by people who have previously been on Benzo, and it's hard to compare the two because Benzos have addicting properties. As an individual who hasn't been on one, I think Hydroxizine is absolutely amazing. I will say that this is not a medication that you can take throughout the day unless you want to be extremely tired. However, this medication has helped me fall asleep at night, and has lessened my anxiety. You can literally feel the tension being lifted out of your body as the medication is kicking in. I would recommend this drug! It's genuinely been a game changer for me."

Itchy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2019

For Pruritus: "I have idiopathic dermatitis. I get hives, rashes, itching all over my body. I do use prescription steroid cream to some good effect. However once in a while the itching gets completely out of control and I scratch myself until I bleed. This atarax (10-20mg) helps a lot. Take it as early in the evening as possible as you will more than likely sleep like a rock for 12 plus hours. I have made the mistake of waiting until I was up for several hours itching before taking the meds. Slept in all next day! In the future I will try to take it before 10 pm to avoid losing an entire day. I have never had any prescription medication make me sleep like this, not even any narcotic. This stuff is great because it is not habit forming, but it can definitely knock you out. On the plus side, the itching subsides for a couple of days so I can get myself together. I was just scratching myself constantly."

haha · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

For Allergies: "I started using hydroxyzine 2-3 weeks ago to help with intense itching from my eczema, especially during the night time. So far, it’s helped me not itch my arms and leg as much but the results are not the same for my face which I find odd and might be because I did wet wrap therapy which also helped my body. Also I don’t have any side effects of drowsiness at all."

Kari August 25, 2019

For Anxiety: "My MD prescribed hydroxyzine for anxiety. I got night sweats, dizziness, headaches...and more. I was taking it for 2 months. It made my anxiety worse so I stopped it totally. Be careful with this med, try not to take it. I am feeling really good now and spent time going out to social worlds again. I wish everyone the best. You are stronger than you think."

Buster August 25, 2019

For Sedation: "I was prescribed this, and it knocked me out. I’m underweight so it might of had stronger toll on me. Anyways, it made me feel good, maybe because I’m a recovering drug addict. Anyways, first day I slept forever and had vivid dreams, but found myself so dizzy and lightheaded at work (I’m a waitress, so always moving. Day two, I couldn’t even get up and felt like I was loaded I was so tired. Even more dizzy at work, so I drank water and that helped. I’d just stay hydrated. It’s not for me cause I felt like I was going to pass out. The sedative factor worked really well. Still feeling groggy too."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was recently prescribed this medication at night for anxiety and insomnia. So far, I definitely helps me fall asleep. It also makes me feel a little sleepy the next day as well. But I have definitely noticed a decrease in anxiety. Those racing thoughts have slowed considerably and my body feels very relaxed and tension free."

Reba August 23, 2019

For Pain: "Could not figure out why the only time my tooth ( and thereby entire jaw ) only stopped hurting at night... I take hydroxyzine and gabapentin together at night for anxiety. No more mystery! The two together should be ALL they prescribe for tooth pain! Why is no one screaming this from the rooftops for people with tooth pain??? Best remedy ever, hands down."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "Crappy pill ! Will help you sleep but it makes you so drowsey the next day you can barely wake up at all. Feels like you been drugged and makes you twitch during the night."

jack · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this hydroxyzine for anxiety. It has not helped my anxious feelings or tendencies in the slightest. Now I just have no energy to do anything. I fall asleep in every class almost uncontrollably, and if I sit down in one place for about 5 minutes I begin to doze off. I am 5”3 and 100 pounds. I wouldn’t really recommend this for anxiety issues"

Cheryl · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

For Anxiety: "My Dr prescribed this hydroxyzine to help with my anxiety and sleep. I never did get a chance to use it for sleep but I did take it a couple of times for anxiety. Honestly felt worse. The first time I thought I was just having a terrible attack and the medication just wasn't cutting it. Then I tried it on another occasion. My heart palpations were horrible. So needless to say I won't be taking it again. It may work great for some but it only made things worse for me."

The Pumpkin · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

For Allergies: "Calms down the allergies and does help me chill out enough at night to be able to sleep, or at least, attempt to sleep. But used as a sedative??? They gotta be kidding...."

CW · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2019

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine was worthless for me. Doctor prescribed this for panic attacks, want to know what they're smoking."

juney · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I took hydroxyzine 3 days ago around 11 am since then I’ve been groggy, out of it and dizzy, nauseous here and there, and my heart beat today is a little weird. I wouldn’t recommend."

Rachel1996 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: "Everyone listen up. This is the WORST drug EVER. Within a few months I went from 110 pounds to 178 pounds. Now I am on a very restrictive diet and I exercise as much as I am able to but still cannot lose the weight. I see my psychiatrist on the 27th of this month but I officially have tossed the pills tonight. No more of this medication. I never thought in a million years that I would be considered obese. I am 5'3 and my natural weight is around 110 pounds. The massive weight gain has destroyed any progress I have made in my mental health and it has destroyed my confidence and self-esteem. I feel like crying. I pray that I will start dropping all of the weight soon!!!!!! Never thought this could happen to me!!!!!! We all have moments where we say, "That could never happen to me." But guess what, I was wrong!!!!! If you are concerned about weight gain, never take this drug!!!!!! I want to let people know that they need to BE CAREFUL with this drug!!!!!!!"

Details August 10, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I’ve been taking atarax for anxiety after my doctor took me off clonopin. It is a hard battle I have with myself now, I am getting more panic attacks now but not as strong because of atarax it’s still hard especially when my panic attacks come at night now."

Lea · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "My psychiatrist prescribed me Vistaril for anxiety after trying plenty of other drugs. (Celexa, Lexapro and Klonopin I was also trying other drugs like Prozac, Ritalin and intuniv). The first couple days it had made me tired but a like with all antihistamines I've ever taken, it wears off incredibly quickly and I build a tolerance quite quickly. I was specifically prescribed it for anxiety but as far as that goes, I haven't noticed a difference whatsoever. My anxiety is pretty severe and I've had it since I was really young. Although, everyone is different and this will work differently for everyone. I have been taking it for about three and a half weeks and the only reason I still take it is because I get nausea and allergies. But I haven't noticed a dent in my anxiety with it. I've always needed something relatively strong for my anxiety."

Vital · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2019

For Sedation: "Guess I'm one of the exceptions...was prescribed " 1-2 at bedtime", zilch with 30 min intervals of each. Ended up staying up even longer than usual!!"

Tilaaa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2019

For Anxiety: "So I know everyone's body is different some meds work for others and some don't. But I will say this medication really does help me anytime I'm feeling anxious or having a panic attack I will take one and even though it takes a while to kick in it really does help. I'm also prescribed clonazepam and I take that with it and that really helps but on the days that I don't take the clonazepam the hydroxyzine makes me feel really drowsy really relaxed it like removes all the tension and the nervousness and the anxiousness from my body I hope that this helps."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)