User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 27 reviews 53 medications

Pain 16 reviews 1105 medications

5.6
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 509 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "I have reviewed Hydroxyzine before, but I am revising it. I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks & paranoia. When I first started taking Hydroxyzine it helped me. The only side effects I had were drowsiness & dry mouth. All of a sudden I developed a tolerance to it. The doctor kept raising my dosage until he had me on 100 mg, which is the highest dosage you can take. It still didn't help me, so I stopped taking it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I have been taking this drug for about a week off and on for the last 10 years I have been having panic attacks here and there just recently I believe I found out that birth control that I have been using the Depo has increased my anxiety to the point of exhaustion terrible sleeping would wake up every hour or would lay in bed with my mind racing and my body sweating and having chills at the same time I asked my doctor for something and they prescribed me this medication so far has done great have been getting a little tired here and there but my anxiety is almost gone still have a little chest pain here and there but other than that it has been great a lot of medications are different for a lot of different people just see what works for u"

Just me and me February 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "This was prescribed to me for anxiety and to help me sleep. It helped for a few days, but I would only get a good 4 hours before I would wake up and it did nothing for on set anxiety meaning I still couldn't go out and do things. I just felt tired all of the time. When I would wake up after taking it, my nose, throat and chest would be so dry I would have to drink a gallon of water. I think this is what Doctor's give you when they don't trust giving you something that actually works."

Anxiety in Washington state (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I take 100mg as a PRN for extreme anxiety/panic attacks. It works almost as well as Ativan but without the unfortunate inevitability of building up a tolerance that happens with taking benzos.The only downside is that my insurance doesn't cover it while it does cover Ativan, otherwise I would just switch over completely. The sensation is a bit different than using benzos to stop a panic attack. Where Ativan will work very quickly in 20-30 minutes tops and smother and separate you from the sensation of panic in your chest, with hydroxyzine it takes about 45 minutes and the way the anxiety slowly petering-out sort of creeps up on you. You have to be more patient which can be awful when you're panicking but the end result is nearly identical."

heartw0rms (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed vistaril for mild anexity and sleep due to 3rd shift worker. I have been afraid to take it because of possible side effects..."

Scootboot36 February 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I've been taking this medication for almost a month along with gabapentin and mirtazepine I use gabapentin during the day in very large amounts. Being a benzo user the gaba doesn't help my panic attacks unless a big dose is taken at a time. I tried to combine gaba and hydroxyzine with very little effect on my anxiety. Now at night I try taking it alone and nothing but with the mirtazepine I do fall asleep but have the scariest most real feeling frightening nightmares ever. The doc is trying to get me to stop taking clonazepam but that is the only benzo that works for my anxiety all day and eases me to sleep at night without crazy nightmares. I wish he would just give me clonazepam but he's trying to taper me off..I hate it"

Hawk Horus (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been on Visitril for a little over a week now and I have to say that it has been an overall therapeutic and positive experience. I was on Lexapro (escitolopram) for almost 3 months and found that the medicine would make me pretty anxious though did level me out during a very rocky time in my life . I chose to start taking Visitril since the lexapro wasn't effective in ways I wanted and now on 50mg to 100 mg a day, I can say that it is easier to be focused on things that I really care about and I can usually notice the subtle change in my body when it stops working (in my stomach primarily) and I'll pop another one and will stay pretty level as long as it is in my system."

SketchRteest February 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I deal with extreme anxiety in a lot of different scenarios likely rising out of autism. I'm on about 75mg a day, and I cannot say I have side-effects, other than waking up with a pounding heart for a few hours if I drink too heavily. I have had such good effects from the drug to the point where I can actually see major differences in how I interact with people and events and almost see a difference in my personality (for the better) over the past several years. I have recommended Vistaril to several people."

TheVicar (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 19, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Was prescribed for anxiety, and instead it threw me into the worst full blown panic attack I have ever had.! Totally out of my mind!"

CMMAR (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Makes me groggy but maintains my anxiety."

Covergrl32 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "So far, so good. I was prescribed 25mg 2x a day and was so relieved to have something to tame my anxiety before a flight with my two toddlers. I take 40mg Paxil, but am taking this for more intense anxiety flare ups. It made me tired the first day, but now I'm doing great and finally able to enjoy my kids and my life! I've taken benzos for years, but I'm not a fan due to tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. The only downside of hydroxyzine so far is this odd anxiety when falling asleep. I will wake myself up due to not feeling myself breathe. This can go on for an hour +. I'm hoping that will fade off and I can just enjoy the benefits of this medication."

FinallyMe (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "It does relieve anxiety associated with severe panic. I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and under duress, I suffer from heart palpitations, dizziness, dermatitis, and nausea. The hydroxine pamoate does relieve the nausea and heart palpitations quickly but it can cause dizziness at times especially when mixed with caffeine or alcohol which is not recommended"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I had an outburst with severe anxiety after I stopped another medication too soon. I love how this medicine keeps me calm and I sleep so good, I feel like a new person. I would highly recommend this product for it has helped me so much. I don't ever plan to go on anything else."

Misery with anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed hydroxyzine as an anti nausea med for after surgery. I quickly noticed how it calmed me down. Post surgery bathing was especially anxiety inducing for me. I would take one before getting in so I could handle it. It also was the only way I could sleep otherwise I would be up after a couple hours due to inactivity (surgery was from a sports injury). I decided to get another prescription for it as an anxiety medication after having an anxiety attack. I took one to calm down and within minutes my panic was under control. Highly recommended for post surgery and the occasional anxiety attack."

megelitow (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed 25mg and was advised to take it as needed up to 4 times a day, and still nothing. I realize that with other medications, you should take it for 4 weeks or so to start to feel a difference, but anxiety medicine should work shortly after taking it, right? Unfortunately when I called my Dr, I had to "give it time" even though people anxiety don't really have time. So frustrating. $50 without a coupon just to have the same anxious rage I already had."

Nickolson January 5, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I have been tapering off Librium (benzo) for 6 months almost. I started at 150 mg and have worked my way down to 5 MISERBALY. I tried everything to help with withdrawal symptoms. Benadryl, vitamins, trazadone, propananol, gabapentin and Zoloft. NOTHING helped...until I was offered this MIRACLE. I was in a panic attack zombie disassociative state for 13 days, on Christmas I was devastated and broken and searched for rapid detox places. I was literally ready to spend $25,000 to feel "normal" and just get 4 hours sleep. I called my specialist and was prescribed 25mg pill form hydroxizine. I knew it wouldn't help, NOTHING helped. I took it, just one and within ten minutes was relaxed. Slept 8 hours and now see the light! Better than Xanax!"

Thoughtuwas (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "It definitely helps my anxiety. That being said its not a med I brag about to my friends. I was having an anxiety attack tonight. I took one 25 mg hydroxizine. It definitely made me feel better. I kinda wish I had something stronger. Like I said it takes the edge off. Also to note early mornings sometimes you have to push to get out of bed. Med seems to linger into wake up time. Also at times can feel like its hard to think. I've only taken it for like a week."

hydroxguy December 24, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain: "I have a very high tolerance for meds (all meds) always have, even as a child. Woke up in the middle of surgery at 7, after give twice the adult dosage bc I couldn't go to sleep. I noticed on opiates they help but minimally. I noticed for a brief period when I had benzo's for my anxiety, it aided my pain meds. But they took me off for another kind and my opiates for pain and anxiety relief weren't being helped at all. They just switched me and I notice the same aid to my medication the benzo's provided minus the fog. It doesn't help with my severe chronic pain on its own (I wish it were that easy) but I find that my meds works so much better in conjunction. My gabipentin seems to work better too. :) finally I can live a little better"

meghan1985-222 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I was given this medication along with Celexa for anxiety. My doctor does not like prescribing Xanax due to the dependency it can cause, so this with the combination of Celexa is to try to not use Xanax for anxiety or panic attacks. So far it has been ok. I have not noticed a huge decrease in my anxiety, but I often take it at night to help me sleep through the night without waking with anxiety. I am going to give it more time to see if I still will keep taking it. It does make me fatigued if I take it in the morning but it is managable."

J137B (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I have been on this medication almost a year and have been experiencing a lot of symptoms which I have thought was due to benzodiazepine withdrawal. I experience grogginess, fatigue, Lightheaded, horrible Anxiety, depression, palpitations, tremors, bad dreams, brain fog, cognitive issues, unable to concentrate, I had nausea 3 weeks, dizziness, feeling weird in and around my eyes, felt mental, No appetite, constipation , stomach issues, fear, Weakness etc I'm starting to wonder if visterel is causing this?!!!! I take 50mg at night before bed And a doctor said I could take another 50mg if I woke so I have been and now I'm thinking all my issues are stemming from this junk! I had some issues prior to medication but nothing like this!"

Pookiejk (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Allergies: "Allergies cleared when the spring came"

Dannyggg December 16, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Vistaril 25mg to help relieve tension and was told to take 2 pills so 50mg if I 1 25mg pill didn't work. 50mg didn't really help either. I felt no improvement in how I felt aftetlr taking it. I was told after 30 minutes of taking it I should've felt better but it never happened. After 2 to 3 hours after taking it I felt somewhat relaxed but was more tired than relax. Vistaril really didn't work out for me."

Anon9991 December 11, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "My doctor put me on this because I'm on pain meds for chronic stomach pain and he didn't want to mix benzos into that. It worked ok for the first few months but as of this week, I have been having narcoleptic episodes and night terrors. I will NOT be taking this ever again."

Anxiety Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I had never had anxiety or panic attacks up until a year ago.. it came out of nowhere and I didn't know what was causing it. I think it was just overall life stressors in general...I was prescribed vistaril after having panic attacks and anxiety. I had never taken anything for anxiety before this so I wasn't sure what to expect. It helped slightly but didn't really take the anxiety away. Made me really sleepy and calmed me down in a sense but I could still feel like I had the anxiousness in the back of my mind. My doctor prescribed me Zoloft instead 50mg and it's worked amazing for me.. I actually feel more like my normal self and rarely get anxiety anymore."

Suffer from occasional anxiety December 3, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It doesn't help at all. Doesn't even make me sleepy, either. Even Zoloft helps with my anxiety more, and Zoloft isn't even marketed specifically to treat anxiety, like Visatril."

BridgetHasAnxiety November 30, 2016