User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 29 reviews 55 medications

Pain 17 reviews 1101 medications

5.5
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 605 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "I've had anxiety my entire life, specifically with social interactions, and in the past year or two have experienced severe panic attacks. The anxiety and panic are linked to my depression, which altogether led to me being hospitalized. When I was there, they prescribed lexapro for my depression and hydroxyzine for my anxiety. The hydroxyzine meds took me out like a light, I could not stay awake to save my life. And when I was awake, I was completely out of it. After a few months of using it and getting used to it these side effects stopped, however it was hell waiting for them to stop. I would not recommend to anyone working, as I was at the time, but if you're willing to wait out the period of absent-mindedness, it can help calm you down."

Corri444 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Has worked well but it will make you feel loopy for a 1/2 hour or so."

Caseynd (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I recently brought myself to the hospital due to chest pains (anxiety, panic attacks). I had no idea what a panic attack was and my EKG showed arrhythmias. I spent 2 days in the hospital and was released with this medication. I have been taking these meds for 4 days now and I feel like my old self again. No more tightness of chest, short breaths, chest pain, and no more feeling like I'm coming undone. When I feel like I may be on the verge of an anxiety attack, I take a pill and I feel like new. I would recommend this to anyone who has panic or anxiety attacks. The best part is, this medication is non habit forming. So take as you go, or as needed. I'm allergic to a lot of different medications and this one has no side effects from what I have felt."

Heart Healthy (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "65 yr old and diagnosed with ADD. (was tested) Been on Adderral and Klonipin 12 years. My Doctor kept me on Adderal but replaced Klonipin with hydroxyzine and added Celexa. First night caused my RLS to act up big time so I never took again. Taking care of my 88 year old mother is very stressful so I tried hydroxyxine again last night but took with my ropinrole. No RLS! To be honest I don't think I feel a difference as far as anxiety. Took another one this am. Think my anxiety over rides any med. Need something diff. Will post what Dr. replaced with."

Charcoal1111 October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Have a great deal going on in my life and very anxiety driven. This helped calm me down without making me drowsy. I can sleep and I can relax and not worry about being so spun up. Recommend this drug since it is not habit forming."

Fun2drive (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Horrible med. I weigh 105 and was given VISTARIL 3 times a day. I lost a CHILD and was sad. Grieving and this is what I was given with trazadone and I already was on cymbalta for chronic pain. I couldn't even finish a sentence. Released from hospital ran into a ditch, arrested for DUI. Two nighes in jail. DUI was my own meds. No Alcohol and never drugs in my life. Now I have fines a court date truck repairs and may lose license and probation and community services and I was out of state. I told the Doctor it was too strong but he didn't listen. My life is ruined"

K mac (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I battle depression, anxiety & severe insomnia also allergies. Knocked me out cold & my allergies seemed under control anxiety a little better. Problem I couldn't shake being extremely tired the next day. All I could do was sleep which doesn't help with depression."

KL 2 September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Doesn't do much for my anxiety or promote sleep (I take a dose at bedtime). Vistaril is basically prescription Benadryl."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "It helps me sleep but the next day I have trouble breathing. It's almost as if it's hard to exhale but easy to inhale. It's like the weirdest sensation ever. I wonder if I'm allergic to this medication. I do suffer from heart arrhythmias."

29yoldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed gabapentin, Xanax and hydroxyzine for insomnia. I was weaning myself off from Xanax and the withdrawals and cravings were terrible. I tried hydroxyzine for a night and the next day, absolutely no cravings for Xanax. Not only that, the depression and anxiety, GONE. The vivid dreams are plus. I wake up feeling meaningful and full of hope. I spent the day focused and productive. The next day was the same! This is a miracle drug. I had no idea hope is a chemical."

sproutbun September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Ok as a first time user I'm going to give my honest answer based on usage for 3 days now. So my doc prescribed me these because I have developed anxiety disorder. Well, I decided to take these when I start to feel panicked. After 20 minutes or so. I'm easy. Thoughts simmer down. Mind stop racing and negative thoughts seem to push to the back and not to the front as usual. They make me feel mellow and laid back..Mind you. I'm not a drug user of any type so that's probably why they work so well for me. I keep them with me all the time. They don't make me drowsy. However, if I'm relaxed. I can definitely dose off. I recommend these if they are the only medicine you are taking. It seems to work best in my clean system. Hope this helps"

StickyTrouble (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I’ve had severe anxiety my whole life but was never put on anything till about 7 months ago. I was also diagnosed with bipolar, so when I’m manic and having a extremely hard time falling asleep this medicine works. But for my anxiety, which it was prescribed for, doesn’t do anything except make me pass out and not want to do anything for days! It also makes me fall asleep at the drop of a dime, for example while driving! This may work for others, but it’s definitely not the pill for me when it comes to anxiety, though for when I need to get some shut eye it works great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: "This drug works wonders for me. Was prescribed 25 mg for anxiety and to help me sleep. I take it occasionally, when I feel anxious or worried at nighttime or just have problems falling asleep. I feel so calm, relaxed and sleepy :) Only bad thing is the hangover I get the next day. I feel like a zombie. But if I don't take it too late at night there's usually not a problem. I will need a good 10-12 hours of sleep on it though. 24 year old female"

EmmaJosefina93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I got hydroxzine prescribed by request after experiencing what feels like a never ending benzodiazapine withdrawal, when 6 months off the benzos passed and I was loosing my mind I decided to research safer non addicting central nervous system depressants out of desperation. It was hit and miss at first with the insomnia it seems to work better after a few days of continuous use and calms some other symptoms down as well, if you get this prescribed and it doesn't work at first give it a few tries. It works even better the farther out you get from your discontinuation date from the benzos, some days this meds dopes me up like a drunk and I don't care for that feeling but its a much better place to be then a have a wide open nervous system"

Benzo withdrawal sucks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergies: "As for me, I've been struggling with allergic rhinitis and my doctor said it was hereditary so every now and then I have it when triggered with less sleep, stress and poor nutrition. Now to the results, it just works wonders for me since my rhinitis usually pairs with acute bronchitis so it's very hard for me to sleep because my nose is clogged and I have to breathe with my mouth and it can be one of the worst things because my cough would then be triggered by the dryness of my throat. Every time I take Iterax(Philippines brandname) I can finally sleep smoothly without being disturbed and helps with the itchy but hurting throat and clogged nose. Hope this helps. Been a living witness to this medication"

J.Angela September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Speaking as a parent my son has anxiety so bad he was hurting himself, he's 13 with Aspergers so it hard for him to express emotions even though he's been going to therapy and a psychiatrist for 8 yrs...This pill has been a life saver for us, it relieved his anxiety and his allergies...The doctors are pleased as well considering one alternative was to place him in a psychiatric ward"

Leo's Mom (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I got my prescription for anxiety. I'm a first timer on these type of meds so I'm cautious. I finally decided to take it tonight because a horrible situation raised and I can't sleep or focus. I must say it's been about 25 min and I'm feeling a little better( thoughts not racing as much) but a little sleepy. I don't know if I'd take this during the day. I'll post an update tomorrow if you care to keep a lookout!! Just trying to help someone maybe- as I experiment."

KeBess (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "Honestly , This works pretty well for me. It really decreases my anxiety and gently soothes me to sleep. The capsule isn't that big and is relatively easy to swallow. I have the option to also add it to food and it doesn't really make it taste any different , except dot a very light sweetness. This pill actually , oddly , very rarely gets caught in my throat , unless I take it with very little liquid , it's very easy to swallow. It really s also a very nice sedative for me."

LOVELIGHT777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Doctor prescribed this to me as an alternative to lorazepam for anxiety. I was reluctant at first. Lorazepam works well for me, yet it is stigmatized by doctors. But it works just as well, if not better. Atarax is an antihistime. This means allergies are managed as well."

Mr Layne (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine just made me drowsy with my severe anxiety did not help me at all"

Dfeatherston (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Worst medication ever. You can't function after you take it and you feel terrible for days after. It's basically benadryl ( a sedating antihistamine). Does nothing for anxiety expect make you feel weird and uncomfortable then puts you to sleep. Another sorry excuse, poor man's anti anxiety med. Stay away. If your doctor prescribes they are an idiot"

CJ1847499295 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I've been diagnosed with MDD and anxiety. I've always had trouble sleeping so my psychiatrist gave me hydrozyzine 25mg at first and it wasn't doing anything so she upped it to 50mg which still isn't working. My prescription is always being filled so I still have a bottle or two of 25mg and one of 50mg. I'm still taking it and trying to sleep but it's really difficult. Even when I actually feel dead tired, I still can't sleep. I usually end up having to wait till my body gives out to get any sleep. I can't go to psychiatrist because I'm currently not a student so I'm not sure what to do. If this medicine works for you, congrats and I can't deny that I'm jealous."

Ruvel (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "It Definitely calms me down... But it also makes me sleepy."

Shellz1974 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have had my hydroxizine Rx for a while but never took it. Started feeling kind of anxious last night so I took 25mg. I must've passed right out because I don't remember when I fell asleep! I slept very well but woke up with a weird groggy feeling. I also felt really relaxed though which was really nice. Grogginess/ brain fog can sometimes exacerbate anxiety for me so I had some caffeine and that seemed to help."

Tireddddd (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This does help some for anxiety. It helps mellow you out a bit so you're not panicking. Definitely doesn't works as well as Ativan and takes longer to kick in. Good for sleeping when you're too stressed to sleep."

Basika (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017