User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 27 reviews 52 medications

Pain 16 reviews 1101 medications

5.6
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 499 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "So far, so good. I was prescribed 25mg 2x a day and was so relieved to have something to tame my anxiety before a flight with my two toddlers. I take 40mg Paxil, but am taking this for more intense anxiety flare ups. It made me tired the first day, but now I'm doing great and finally able to enjoy my kids and my life! I've taken benzos for years, but I'm not a fan due to tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. The only downside of hydroxyzine so far is this odd anxiety when falling asleep. I will wake myself up due to not feeling myself breathe. This can go on for an hour +. I'm hoping that will fade off and I can just enjoy the benefits of this medication."

FinallyMe (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

For Anxiety: "It does relieve anxiety associated with severe panic. I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and under duress, I suffer from heart palpitations, dizziness, dermatitis, and nausea. The hydroxine pamoate does relieve the nausea and heart palpitations quickly but it can cause dizziness at times especially when mixed with caffeine or alcohol which is not recommended"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2017

For Anxiety: "I had an outburst with severe anxiety after I stopped another medication too soon. I love how this medicine keeps me calm and I sleep so good, I feel like a new person. I would highly recommend this product for it has helped me so much. I don't ever plan to go on anything else."

Misery with anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed hydroxyzine as an anti nausea med for after surgery. I quickly noticed how it calmed me down. Post surgery bathing was especially anxiety inducing for me. I would take one before getting in so I could handle it. It also was the only way I could sleep otherwise I would be up after a couple hours due to inactivity (surgery was from a sports injury). I decided to get another prescription for it as an anxiety medication after having an anxiety attack. I took one to calm down and within minutes my panic was under control. Highly recommended for post surgery and the occasional anxiety attack."

megelitow (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed 25mg and was advised to take it as needed up to 4 times a day, and still nothing. I realize that with other medications, you should take it for 4 weeks or so to start to feel a difference, but anxiety medicine should work shortly after taking it, right? Unfortunately when I called my Dr, I had to "give it time" even though people anxiety don't really have time. So frustrating. $50 without a coupon just to have the same anxious rage I already had."

Nickolson January 5, 2017

For Anxiety: "I have been tapering off Librium (benzo) for 6 months almost. I started at 150 mg and have worked my way down to 5 MISERBALY. I tried everything to help with withdrawal symptoms. Benadryl, vitamins, trazadone, propananol, gabapentin and Zoloft. NOTHING helped...until I was offered this MIRACLE. I was in a panic attack zombie disassociative state for 13 days, on Christmas I was devastated and broken and searched for rapid detox places. I was literally ready to spend $25,000 to feel "normal" and just get 4 hours sleep. I called my specialist and was prescribed 25mg pill form hydroxizine. I knew it wouldn't help, NOTHING helped. I took it, just one and within ten minutes was relaxed. Slept 8 hours and now see the light! Better than Xanax!"

Thoughtuwas (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "It definitely helps my anxiety. That being said its not a med I brag about to my friends. I was having an anxiety attack tonight. I took one 25 mg hydroxizine. It definitely made me feel better. I kinda wish I had something stronger. Like I said it takes the edge off. Also to note early mornings sometimes you have to push to get out of bed. Med seems to linger into wake up time. Also at times can feel like its hard to think. I've only taken it for like a week."

hydroxguy December 24, 2016

For Pain: "I have a very high tolerance for meds (all meds) always have, even as a child. Woke up in the middle of surgery at 7, after give twice the adult dosage bc I couldn't go to sleep. I noticed on opiates they help but minimally. I noticed for a brief period when I had benzo's for my anxiety, it aided my pain meds. But they took me off for another kind and my opiates for pain and anxiety relief weren't being helped at all. They just switched me and I notice the same aid to my medication the benzo's provided minus the fog. It doesn't help with my severe chronic pain on its own (I wish it were that easy) but I find that my meds works so much better in conjunction. My gabipentin seems to work better too. :) finally I can live a little better"

meghan1985-222 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was given this medication along with Celexa for anxiety. My doctor does not like prescribing Xanax due to the dependency it can cause, so this with the combination of Celexa is to try to not use Xanax for anxiety or panic attacks. So far it has been ok. I have not noticed a huge decrease in my anxiety, but I often take it at night to help me sleep through the night without waking with anxiety. I am going to give it more time to see if I still will keep taking it. It does make me fatigued if I take it in the morning but it is managable."

J137B (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on this medication almost a year and have been experiencing a lot of symptoms which I have thought was due to benzodiazepine withdrawal. I experience grogginess, fatigue, Lightheaded, horrible Anxiety, depression, palpitations, tremors, bad dreams, brain fog, cognitive issues, unable to concentrate, I had nausea 3 weeks, dizziness, feeling weird in and around my eyes, felt mental, No appetite, constipation , stomach issues, fear, Weakness etc I'm starting to wonder if visterel is causing this?!!!! I take 50mg at night before bed And a doctor said I could take another 50mg if I woke so I have been and now I'm thinking all my issues are stemming from this junk! I had some issues prior to medication but nothing like this!"

Pookiejk (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 16, 2016

For Allergies: "Allergies cleared when the spring came"

Dannyggg December 16, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Vistaril 25mg to help relieve tension and was told to take 2 pills so 50mg if I 1 25mg pill didn't work. 50mg didn't really help either. I felt no improvement in how I felt aftetlr taking it. I was told after 30 minutes of taking it I should've felt better but it never happened. After 2 to 3 hours after taking it I felt somewhat relaxed but was more tired than relax. Vistaril really didn't work out for me."

Anon9991 December 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "My doctor put me on this because I'm on pain meds for chronic stomach pain and he didn't want to mix benzos into that. It worked ok for the first few months but as of this week, I have been having narcoleptic episodes and night terrors. I will NOT be taking this ever again."

Anxiety Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "I had never had anxiety or panic attacks up until a year ago.. it came out of nowhere and I didn't know what was causing it. I think it was just overall life stressors in general...I was prescribed vistaril after having panic attacks and anxiety. I had never taken anything for anxiety before this so I wasn't sure what to expect. It helped slightly but didn't really take the anxiety away. Made me really sleepy and calmed me down in a sense but I could still feel like I had the anxiousness in the back of my mind. My doctor prescribed me Zoloft instead 50mg and it's worked amazing for me.. I actually feel more like my normal self and rarely get anxiety anymore."

Suffer from occasional anxiety December 3, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It doesn't help at all. Doesn't even make me sleepy, either. Even Zoloft helps with my anxiety more, and Zoloft isn't even marketed specifically to treat anxiety, like Visatril."

BridgetHasAnxiety November 30, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Two 25mg doses, spread out, reduces anxiety for me, but it also can make me yawn and sleepy and I don't feel safe to drive for about an hour after taking the second dose. Given that I am over sensitive to Benzos this is one of the few anti-anxiety drugs I can take without being over sedated."

RobStein9064 November 30, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Only thing that helps nausea for me. Zofran is like taking a placebo and phenergan gives me restless legs."

Flgal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Useless."

Stwy2heavn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

For Anxiety: "I decided to try this medication for anxiety after reading several studies indicating that hydroxyzine is roughly equal to benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. I must say, I have been quite impressed by this medicine. It's just as strong as Xanax for me, but it doesn't make me forgetful. My quality of life has improved quite a bit since I started this medicine."

ScudRipper (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

For Pain: "Hydroxyzine seems to help more with my reaction to pain than with the actual pain. If I take hydroxyzine while I have shin splints, I still feel quite a bit of pain; it's just that I feel significantly less distressed and distracted by the pain than I normally would be. It works best for pain if taken with an actual painkiller. I prefer using naproxen, as the hydroxyzine seems to counteract the stomachache I always get from this NSAID."

Noice18 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "My experience of this medicine.. Only made me sleepy..Did not help with anxiety.I take Zoloft 150..Any other suggestions that I can take with Zoloft for anxiety."

zadie November 20, 2016

For Sedation: "I asked for something to ease me to sleep after the horrific death of my 26 yr old child. I realized I had not slept (REM) for almost a month and a half. When seeking help from my doctor I asked that I not get a narcotic or a sleep aid that would increase depression, sleep walking, suicide, and we went with this drug. I was given 100mg tabs to take 20 minutes before bed. It was not working and now on my second bottle, I need to take 200mgs to get sleepy. I have noticed labored breathing but chalk it up to the cold moving in, not sure if the two are related and will only know that when I chose not to take it."

Din Ese (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016

For Pruritus: "I have uncontrollable itching and have had it for about 2 months now. At first my psychiatrist thought it was one of my psych meds then my diabetic doctor believed that it was one of my diabetes medications. I'm no longer on the Psych Med or diabetic medications that could have been causing the itchiness. The itchiness has not gone away. For the past four nights I have been taking this medication and the itchiness has been better at night but I've been sleeping 11 to 12 hours and having a hard time functioning during the day. I hope the doctors can figure out something else that will help the itching go away."

Itchy lady November 19, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Didn't help my anxiety, just knocked me out."

DylanGay (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "Prescribed 25mg for GAD. It didn't do anything so I requested an upped dose. They prescribed me 50mg and it still did nothing. I have tried Benadryl, Lemon Balm and so many other things thag never worked. I am on Xanax now but it still really doesn't do much. I am on a 0.5dose and it works more maybe 30min and not very well."

Angstogalene (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016