User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Pain
5.5

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 723 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "This is the first anti anxiety drug I have tried. It works for me very well, and a nice side benefit is that it helps me sleep. I also take Trintellix and Olanzapine. It didn’t seem to add to any side effects, except for drowsiness."

Jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’m on hydroxazine and clonidine for anxiety and they don’t seem to be working."

Joe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

For Allergies: "I had a sudden outbreak of eczema after a year of family health issues that caused anxiety--plus the rash was making me more anxious and it itched constantly. I also have sinus allergies. The dermatologist prescribed Hydroxzine HCl - 10mg. and said I should take it two times a day. I took it that first night and slept through the night. By the second day (still took only one 10 mg. tablet), the eczema started to calm down and I simply felt calm myself overall. It has been two weeks now, and the rash is gone and my head is clearer than it has ever been in my life. I am wondering how long I can remain on this drug. I see that others say the effects diminish after a while, but if I stay on this low dose, I am hoping I can stay until all the other issues of family health problems are resolved. I am wondering if there is a limit to how long one can stay on this drug. I have no side effects and at present feel it is like a miracle. I am in my 70s."

rz (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Never again. I took this for anxiety on a Saturday morning. Within an hour my eyelids and face were puffy and swollen and I felt like I was both on speed and totally exhausted at the same time. It made me extremely cranky and agitated with everything and found myself thinking very negative angry thoughts. I laid down for a very deep three hour nap and woke up with my whole body in pain and I was still tired. Now it is 26 hours later and my entire body still aches, especially my feet but the upside is that the swelling of my face and hives on my puffy eyelids is going away. Btw, I’m on no other meds and haven’t taken anything (even ibuprofen) for weeks. I do fine on Xanax but will never do this drug again."

TAP (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "I could never tell if this truly worked because it would make me so insanely tired. I took it before work one day, when I didn’t fully realize this side effect, and almost nodded off standing up. If you take this before bed I could see this working for you."

k.f. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2018

For Sedation: "I take this for sleep I am now on one 50mg tablet at bedtime. I have been on this medication for a number of years now I notice I have seemed to build a tolerance for the medication. At first I would fall into a decent good sleep now I lay in bed for hours tossing and turning with my mind racing. I have been this way since middle school I'm an adult now. I don't want to mention this to my doctor because I do not want to go on another medication things work for a while for me then just stop even after increasing the doses to my meds."

Stormi Ray (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2018

For Sedation: "Took half of the prescribed medication of Hydroxizine and could not sleep . Then, I took half Ambien that I had been given if I had an emergency could not sleep. In the morning I could not open my eyes. A horrible groggy feeling all next day. Hate Hydroxizine. Will never take it, again!"

Tatiana (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It works but the longer you take it the less it works for you."

Apple (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For Anxiety: "If I could give it a 0 I would. Absolutely worthless if you really have anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been taking hydroxyzine for about 9 months now. I have been dealing with my husband going through Social Security Disability (which he did get after 34 months! And a father-in-law who is in the mid stages of Alzheimer's and is still at home. I take one dose 25 mg 3 times a day. However, with my script I can take more. (Depending on how I react to the events in my day.) Yes, it does calm my anxiety down and helps me to deal with the issues at hand. It is different than taking Valium, but it gets the job done for me!"

BikerBabe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2018

For Sedation: "For me, the drug works well for sleeping through the night. I started on it for hives and it worked well because it made me drowsy then sleep so I guess talks to the nerves that were causing the issue. Later but after researching its other uses I tried it in place of Xanax at bedtime. It works. For this med I didn't experience nightmares or night sweats that I have experienced on other meds (not Xanax but other things like natural supplements and OTC PM pills). It takes 30-60 minutes to take effect. I started cutting my dose in half due to the heavy grogginess I felt when I woke up. Which is a horrible feeling that makes it hard to function and my only remedy was to sleep more. Even with it cut in half I have noticed less groggy but still groggy. That is the only issue I had with this drug. Try it on a night before you don't have to work or get up for anything to see what works for you."

Landers (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Was given hydroxyzine for anxiety and self-induced panic attacks ( I say self-induced because I would actually let my mind create a panic attack just by over-thinking it). These would keep me up at nights which increased my anxiety. Doctor prescribed Zoloft 50 mg which only have me a bad reaction the first night. Now that I am on hydroxyzine 20mg before bed, I can rest much better and feel relaxed throughout the day even when I get intrusive thoughts. It took about 1-2 weeks for full effect to kick in, so be patient. A support system, meditation, exercise and prayer have helped through this as well."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Sedation: "Back in February, I slowly stopped being able to fall asleep on my own for days at a time (5 days). Doctor put me on Trazodone, which damaged my stomach and I ended up in ER. Psychiatrist prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg as replacement, and I got the GLENMARK brand. It gave me my life back. I find that I only need to take three quarters of a tablet. It keeps my nervous system calm, so I am able to ease into sleep, and I function well during the day. It's been two and a half months, and the effectiveness has not diminished. Unfortunately, wholesaler stopping selling GLENMARK hydroxyzine to my pharmacy, so pharmacy put me on KVK brand. My stomach is hurting after just one dose of KVK. Also tried MGP brand, which did not work. I encourage you to get GLENMARK hydroxyzine if you have problem sleeping."

SleeplessHead (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018

For Sedation: "Took 25mg about an hour ago 1st time. Getting off opioids. Now feeling tired, drowsy, relaxed. Going to bed. Usually wake middle of night with difficulty falling back to sleep. I hope it works"

Ape June 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was just prescribed this & can't speak on it yet. But you must understand that some people lack the enzymes to break down certain medication, it's not going to effect everyone the same."

Atrain June 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "Helps a little bit but not too much, I haven’t experienced any drowsiness at all."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

For Allergies: "This med made my mouth so dry, that I could not talk or swallow easily. I have stopped taking it. A relief to feel moisture in my mouth again."

Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy."

Savannah (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Allergies: "Atarax works for the itchiness I get from allergies but does not stop my nasal congestion from them"

Smitten94 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

Ivanisgreat (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Anxiety: "Both my daughter & I were prescribed this for anxiety. Waste of time. Just a glorified antihistamine."

L (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018