User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies

Pain
5.5

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.6 639 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This didn't do anything for my anxiety, not even make me tired. I feel more anxiety taking them then when I don't use it. Chest tightness, nose running like a river, constant state of anxiety going on."

Thegoatbjk January 21, 2018

For Allergic Urticaria: "Dermagraphism, itchy skin. I take as an antihistamine. I’ve been taking 10mg a day for 15 plus years. No issues, usually might be able to go without for 3 days, then need a pill. I take a night, before bed to limit drowsiness."

Deltajim January 14, 2018

For Allergic Urticaria: "I've been taking this for about a year and I wish I had found out about it ten years ago. In the past I've had debilitating hives and rash no matter what I was doing. It could be from showering or clothing myself to running on a treadmill. They were painful and felt like I had been dipped into a vat of itching powder. It could last hours to days. Summer and Winter were brutal for my skin. It has literally changed my life. Yes the first week or so, it made me super drowsy. Doctor recommended to take it at night instead of morning and night. I take one pill in the morning now that it doesn't make me sleepy. I would love to find a natural remedy but haven't been successful yet."

Anjie A January 10, 2018

For Anxiety: "Prescribed for anxiety and to help me sleep, 25mg-50mg at bed time. Gave me horrible dreams and kept me in a hypnotic state most of the night with very little sleep. Benzo's are the only thing that work for me."

rjfinva (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

For Sedation: "25mg to help sleep at night along with 1mg clonozepan three times a day for anxiety. I was in a semi-conscious state all night and had horrible dreams about things I never think about. So I tried with my docs approval 50mg, and it was even worse, and the agitation from the bad dreams lasted a full two days. One of the worst drugs I have ever taken."

rjfinva (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

For Anxiety: "The first anxiety attack I ever had that I can remember I was probably 5 years old. I didn’t tell any of my doctors about my anxiety until now (20 years old) I haven’t taken anything else other than Hydroxyzine. I only take two 10mg pills right before I go to bed and it helps me throughout the next day while also helping me sleep through the night. Most of my anxiety attack’s happen while I sleep. This medication has helped me very much. I think it’s good for someone who has never been on an anxiety medication before. It really only makes me thirsty, but drinking water is good for you anyway!!"

Lil lily January 3, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have had anxiety and a panic disorder for most of my adult life. I was on ativan for 15 years and have been on klonopin for 10. When my doctor retires or I lose health insurance coverage I have been prescribed vistaril by family practice doctors that don't like prescribing benzodiazepines. For me it does stop panic attacks and calms me. Also helps with sleeping. The only downside is it is less effective over time unlike klonopin or ativan which never loses its efficacy. It's a nice med to take short term until I find a long term doctor."

Babs98272 December 31, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Vistaril to help with anxiety and sleep following opiate withdrawals. It did little, if anything. Original dose was 50 mg, later raised to 100 mg. It did reduce the crazy sneezing I went through. I got far better results for sleep from OTC Benedryl and melatonin."

MajorMojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2017

For Anxiety: "I take this medication 3 times a day and I actually like it. It’s really helping the only thing I don’t like is I get really tired and dizzy on them but overall it’s pretty effective."

Horselo December 26, 2017

For Sedation: "So, I had to use it not for anxiety but because I was depressed and on the verge of getting in my car and driving off a bridge, and I needed something to basically knock myself out so I would forget. It worked. I fell asleep for like 10 hours."

Mr HeckOff December 25, 2017

For Anxiety: "This pill made it hard to wake up the next day. I only take this when I desperately need to. It works and makes my thoughts seem to quiet and slow down within minutes. The side effects are barely bareable. It may knock you out and make you feel groggy."

ProzacPrincess998 December 24, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "All I do is sleep on this medication. Was on Buspar but that was not controlling my anxiety."

Evill (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Vistaril is an ANTIHISTAMINE. it can make you drowsy if you have not taken it before. This is ALL that it MAY have in common with a real anxiety medication. It DOES NOTHING for anxiety unless you are shaking and trembling due to poison ivy or HIVES!!!!! Whoever got the bright idea to try to convince anyone that suffers from real anxiety to use this med for help is risking their patient's life. I take it for chronic hives, and have done so for 45 years."

Leigh237 (taken for 10 years or more) December 18, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "I keep yawning but I don't actually fall asleep."

Atomheartmother December 17, 2017

For Anxiety: "Prescribed to help me discontinue opiates, mainly for anxiety. In general, I’ve not had any results I’d say were helpful. Nothing harmful, but it hasn’t helped much with anxiety. It did seem to alleviate sneezing with opiate discontinuation which was good. It has helped slightly with insomnia as well, but only moderately. It causes my heart to race a bit for an hour after taking it. No other effects, good or bad though."

MajorMojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

For Anxiety: "So my doctor prescribed me hydroxyzine pamoate because I told her I was having episodes of terrible anxiety and I wasn't sleeping very well because of it. The first night I took it, it took about 30 mins to set in, I started feeling calm and my normal negative obsessive thoughts became more positive and far less obsessive. I would have a positive thought and move on to another. That in itself was amazing and I also slept very well. The dry mouth side effect is bearable as well. However, the next morning when I woke up I was so groggy and could feel the sedation had not worn off... All I wanted to do was sleep and not talk because I was so relaxed and I was extremely irritable"

ManicAniextyGirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

For Sedation: "Was prescribed this because apparently, I have insomnia coupled with anxiety. I tend to get hot at night and wake up sweaty multiple times at night and never can quite fall back asleep. Did not notice anything the first night but I did the following nights. Sleep quality has improved immensely. I can easily fight off the drowsiness, but as a reminder, it is supposed to be an aid. It feels like taking a Nyquil or a Benadryl."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

For Anxiety: "Oh my ! so I made a mistake and took this pill thinking it was my other pill and it had me in the ER at the hour mistakenly taking this. My anxiety shot up so high it was ridiculous I couldn't calm down. My stomach was in knots I had stinging pains it was the worst feeling in my life and I had been doing so well - I hadn't had a panic attacks for over 9 months until mistakenly taking this pill "

Anonymous December 8, 2017

For Sedation: "I take Prozac every morning and was prescribed this for night time after a 2 month stint of sleeping maybe 4 hours a night due to anxiety and other things. This works really well (50mg) for me IF I take it at least 1.5 hours before I want to fall asleep. If not I may toss and turn for a while. It also has helped with my anxiety levels."

Jess B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2017

For Anxiety: "I was on klopin for anxiety I switched doctors they took me off and but put me on this rubbish med. I have the worst anxiety and PTSD due to going overseas. This medicine made everything so bad. I don't have any damn allergies so why do I have to suffer because goddamn dope heads. My night mares and anxiety got worse. If a doctor writes this for you tell them you want to be treated for anxiety not allergies."

Kev567 November 26, 2017

For Anxiety: "This is coming from someone who has struggled with severe anxiety issues and panic attacks,since I was a young child. Before being prescribed Hydroxyzine, I would have at least 2 panic attacks a day, if not more then that. And my high anxiety levels always interfered with everyday life...I would over think everything, plus I worried about every little thing that happened, it sucked. I'm 25 now, and my anxiety levels are kept at a minimum, due to the Hydroxyzine..I'm able to function normally at work, plus I don't worry as much. I feel like I can be myself again"

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have a severe bipolar, extreme manic depressive, high anxiety, suicidal tendencies and ADHD. I had never taken any medications until recently. I didn't believe anything was wrong. I recently admitted myself to a psychiatric hospital that specializes in chemical dependency and mental illness. I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg every 6hrs as needed. I like this medication a lot. It works quick for me and I've not experienced any issues with making me tired at all and I only use it during the day. But I also have Seroquel 150mg Neurontin two 100mg capsules three times a day and Depakote 500mg 1 in the morning and 2 at bedtime. Vistaril has been great for me."

Craziefemale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

For Anxiety: "I've been taking this med on and off for about a year now. While it does well at keeping the anxiety attacks and dissociations at bay. I've noticed the room spinning a few times, and I'm quite irritable."

ianrichardsonco (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2017

For Anxiety: "I have horrible persistent anxiety & panic disorder & have been taking one benzo or another, mainly Klonopin for the past 18 years. I tried all of the other anxiety meds & nothing worked but benzos. I've been on .5mg of Klonopin most recently for the past couple years. Recently I had surgery & was put on Oxycodone for pain. As soon as my psychiatrist found out about this he cut me off my klonopin abruptly after my last prescription ran out. I called his office in a panic & he phoned in a script for Atarax 25mg 1 or 2 pills every 6 hours as needed for anxiety. What a joke. Made my anxiety & panic worse. I am now getting Xanax from other places to treat my anxiety since doctors will not help."

Manic314 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

For Anxiety: "Took my first pill after going to the urgent care for anxiety due to stomach issues. I took the first pill that night it kinda helped me sleep. Awoke the next day around 1pm started to get an uncomfortable feeling. Felt super anxious, jittery, cold feet, sweaty palms, tingling sensation in hands and feet. Warm sensation in chest. Felt as if all my nerves in my stomach was in a knot. The more I took the worse it got. Stop taking med 3 days after started and slowly begin to feel like myself at 24-48 hours. Worst feeling ever"

JiBeanz November 14, 2017