User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 27 reviews 53 medications

Pain 17 reviews 1119 medications

5.5
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 548 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "Took this medicine for 6 months for panic attacks it helped tremendously at first but soon it stopped helping the panic so I'd take way more than directed thinking it was the dose but then after I was told I could overdose and die taking too much. I stopped taking so much and taking just the recommended dose just began making me severely drowsy."

Peach99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Did not help even a little for my panic attacks and anxiety. In fact it caused my depression to relapse after years of being ok."

Ry34 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This pill is extremely helpful. I had very bad anxiety due to my friend passing away, stress at work, and some family issues. I was to the point that I was about to slap everybody at work, just from being overwhelmed and a few peoples negative intentions. Before taking this medication I would barely sleep at night, tossing and turning. It's been 3 days now and I already see improvement on how I feel and my attitude over all. I'm starting to not allow work get to me and raise my blood pressure. I feel more relaxed and calmer now, and able to sleep through the whole night. I feel great and I'm so surprised because last week I was borderline depressed."

RockettPower May 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Been on visaril for a week now! Believe me when I say my anxiety was over the top before this,now it's manageable and it has increased my appetite which is a good thing for me! I'm not used to taking anything at all for any reason because of the adverse effects from the big pharmaceutical industry games that keep you sick! Vistaril however I have 0 regrets because it's less likey to cause even a mental addiction, let alone a physical one! Its been very helpful for me but do keep in mind that everyone reacts differently than others! I find it very helpful for me!"

Tina57 May 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Makes me tired and dizzy, I can not breastfeed my son. Do not like this I'd rather take xanax"

Alinaafsfv May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Prescribed instead of usual xanax for anxiety. 25mg, up to three times a day a day. Not sure who could take more than one of these during the day. Luckily I was at home and could take a nap. 2.5 hours later I woke up and was so groggy I could barely get out of bed. Had work related dinner that I attended, went to bed directly following the dinner and slept until about 4am. STILL not what I would consider alert and functioning. I'd rather have anxiety This stuff is NOT a substitute for xanax."

Themrs4 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed hydroxyzine and it does not help with anxiety at all. It takes an hour to kick in, but it does help with my allergies, which is an unnecessary plus."

War Vet (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I take 25 mg and it does not work. My Dr has prescribed it for 2 months now and I have told her that it don't work. I would rather have the xanax back."

Ccjr43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Been on vistaril for a month. Works fine for me. Finally getting a full night sleep. I feel so much better awakening in the morning."

Special K1029 May 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I just got done taking this medicine along with 2 melatonin. I usually need 4 melatonin to get to sleep. So if I need 2 more after an hour or so I will take them. Right now I am awake enough to work I am really relaxed. I am also on kolonopin 1mg or 1 and a half mg at the most it always helps me sleep. I might need that tonight to sleep. Hopefully this is enough. Anyways will write more tomorrow if this drug is any good. It feels like I am breathing a lot deeper or something but that could be normal. I am going to have my husband check on me. Anyways I'm falling asleep so I'll write more tomorrow. "

TextingPhoneGirl82 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been suffering from "AAD" & Panic Disorder for most of my life. Took my 1st "classic" panic attack in the 5th grade!!! I was Finally diagnosed at 23. I'm have been treated with xanax, clonopin and ativan for this awful condition ever since. I am now 43. Because of all the Abuse of these meds though by people that don't need it for anything except to "get high" makes me furious!!! Because where I live in N.J.,no kind of doctor wants to prescribe any kind of benzo anymore. It's awful because these meds help so many people. I was just yanked, not weaned, off the xanax and given Vistaril 100mg 3 times a day. This is the Most awful medication I have ever taken In my life!!! I had such horrible S/E's I went to the E.R.!!! TERRIBLE MED!!!"

PanicAnxietyMess May 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Very bad! Do not use! Gave blisters on palette mouth feels like it is on fire, very miserable does nothing for anxiety or sleep, check out before you use this medication.."

vavette April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine has been a miracle for my anxiety. I was having chest pain so bad I couldn't breathe. Problems with my heart were ruled out and I was prescribed this medication. It helps me relax but doesn't make me groggy at all. I can still work and function in life. I also tend to get car sick so a positive side effect was that it helps with nausea. It also isn't addictive. My doctor said it could have side effects such as dry mouth, urinary retention, or blurred vision, but I have not experienced any of these side effects."

Sam1988 April 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have had bad PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks and it does work for me. I'm happy to hear it works for others, though."

Mgg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I had some sudden Insomnia problems this winter. Took a while to find out the underlying cause was anxiety. At first since I only thought it was Insomnia, the Ambien I got prescribed didn't work. I was going on 5 days with ONLY an hour of sleep so I visited a Psych. Vistaril worked that night and ever since. At first I took it as needed (2-3/day), then after a couple weeks I was just doing 1 at night for sleep. Crazy dreams similar to Benadryl. I ran out 3 weeks ago and wanted to see how I would fare. Not good. Just got it prescribed again and looking to jump back into a proper sleep cycle and keep it as a safety stash. It's not 100%, there may be a night here & there, but it felt like a literal life saver rescuing me from 5sleepless days M/22"

jjpv305 April 22, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "My doctor gave me this med to help me sleep. It really doesn't help much. He prescribed 100mg at bedtime. It does work wonders for my allergies though"

Niloufar53 April 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Amazing. Absolutely give this a chance if you suffer from anxiety. On prozac 20mg daily, ativan as needed, and vistaril. When my anxiety sky rockets and my mind races so fast I don't know what I'm thinking, vistaril has brought my mind and anxiety to a calm state within minutes. Life saving"

AnxietyDepression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Vistarip is VERY helpful for my PTSD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and some of my depression coming from my anxiety. This medication for anxiety works wonders for me and I would definitely recommend using it. I use 50mg every 6 hrs during the day (3X daily) is the prescribed dosage.. It keeps me calm and collected without having so much panic! It definitely relieves anxious tension!!! :)"

RoxyFoxy17 April 15, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "At first I was on 25mg as needed and took it about an hour or so before bed to help me "turn off" my mind and help me sleep a bit. The next morning 10+ hours after taking the pill, I was a walking zombie until well into the afternoon. My dosage was lowered to 10mg and although I didn't have the major day after drowsiness it still helped me sleep. I took it during the day and it felt like I took several Benadryl's and I was unable to function for the afternoon because I was so drowsy. Good thing I was at home when I took it. Unfortunately, although it did help me sleep, it didn't do much to calm my anxiety. I took it at the start of an anxiety attack and 40 minutes into it I was still having symptoms."

Plum94 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Meh. In the past, I'd very occasionally taken valium and mostly klonopin for panic attacks and night terrors. My prescriber switched me due to the addictive nature of benzos, as well as their tendency to increase the likelihood of age-related cognitive impairments like Alzheimer's and dementia. I'm not thrilled with the results. I take 25mg of hydroxyzine maybe a few times a month. Where the klonopin had a very clear and palpable effect in reducing my anxiety, I still question whether the new medication is doing anything at all. Man, it's 2017--you'd think by now they could make a non-addictive drug that can alleviate anxiety effectively without making you senile! Am I asking too much?"

Douchet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Definitely helped keep me asleep, but when I woke up the next morning, the first morning void (urination) was painful from not going during the middle of the night! Plus, I had a groggy, hangovers like feeling the entire next day. Skipped a day to make sure the Atarax was the reason, then when I took it again, same exact thing. It doesn't knock you out, but it does help with nocturnal. At this point, I'd rather wake in the middle of the night to void instead of waking up in so much pain with a hangover that I didn't at least enjoy getting. Plus, holding it in increases your UTI chances, and those are doubly not fun with IC."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for my anxiety, my doctor gave me the 50 MG. First of all it takes way too long to kick in atlas 30-45 minutes. It also makes me sleepy and when I wake up the next morning it's so hard to get out of the bed, I can barely keep my eyes open the whole next day and feel groggy all day. I would say it doesn't really help with anxiety at all it's basically just a sleeping pill."

MBrooke44 April 5, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I used it to help me sleep, and it did help me sleep. But it gave me the worse nightmares. And wouldn't let me wake up."

Teenage psycho April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this medication for anxiety and it did not help at all."

Anonymous April 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Well I have started this medication not too long ago. The first few days it seemed to have made my body numb and sleepy which made me sleep a lot. It didn't really help me stay asleep because I still woke up several times at night. Nowadays when I take it, makes me extremely drowsy, and I have dry mouth and don't eat as much.I feel as if though I'm always on the edge. I don't think it got rid of anxiety and for sure I am terrified to even go out to places fearing for a panic attack episode. So this medicine doesn't make me feel safe as I'd wish it to."

Teenage girl (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017