User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Allergies

Anxiety
5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 790 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Allergic Urticaria: "I have chronic hives (unknown cause) and I’ve been on this since 2016. I take 100 mg a day and I keeps me from being COVERED in large red welts all over my body. Of course, if benadryll makes you sleepy and you hate that, don’t take this (I feel like that should be common sense but whatever)."

Alex (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2019

For Sedation: "I tried this for sleep as my dr said it is used often to help people sleep. I will say it makes you tired. Exhausted actually but 2 hours later I wake up with like almost panic attack symptoms and I have to take a benzodiazepine to combat them. They then last all through the following day. I am so thirsty that I feel like I ate an entire container of salt. The shaky feeling stays with me the entire next day along with feeling exhausted. Like my body is drained. This may work for some people but definietly not for me. Never again"

Cheryl2280 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine works for my anxiety it definietly makes me feel tired but gets rid the anxiety really well. Also be careful as I took it at work the other day and I felt a high affect and I didn’t like that."

Gotm (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Sedation: "Hydroxyzine works well initially on high dosage (50 mg a couple times a day) Nightmares, food cravings, mid night as well & unsteadiness during most of day are not welcome side effects but alprazolam etc are off the table & @ least this allows me to rest & not end up shaking from head to toe though mostly extremities."

Delilah (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2019

For Anxiety: " hydroxyzine is the worst anxiety medication ever. Made me stay up all night and caused my legs to feel tingly numb and extremely restless (feels like I’m kicking). The following day I feel so weak and in pain. It’s making my anxiety worse. So disappointing. I have taken benzos I’m the past and they worked wonders. I have a new doctor and he will not prescribe. Sadly this is the second medication that he has given me that caused a serious negative effect. I am bipolar two with severe anxiety disorder also on lamital"

sgherna March 7, 2019

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine is a strong antihistamine and it will only be useful for immediate use. My anxiety gives me insomnia so this helped with both that and panic attacks. Yes, at first it will knock you out so I recommend taking it before bed for a week or so to get your body used to it. If you're like me and get groggy after taking sleeping medicine the night before, make sure you're leaving yourself enough time in the morning to get ready for work if you have to. Eventually the tiredness feeling won't overpower you. I'm ranking it at 7/10 because since I taking it pretty much daily to help me sleep I've noticed an increase in nightmares. I never usually dream so the fact that 5 out or 7 nights a week are nightmares is strange and I believe it could be partly due to the hydroxyzine. So, 7/10 for me but I recommend trying to get past that first phase or cutting it in half if it puts you to sleep too quickly."

Angie March 6, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been on this for 6 months now and I take two 25mg capsules twice daily- once upon awakening and one before bedtime. I read others' reviews and I can't relate. It doesn't make me sleepy, I've had no adverse effects, I don't feel any different outside of not being so "paranoid" and just more like my normal self. Frankly, Its a Godsend."

rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

For Anxiety: "It does help me with anxiety & quickly too. However it makes me very sleepy."

Mlg (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been taking 1/2 to sometimes 3/4th of a 25 mg pill of hydroxyzine for a while for insomnia. What I don't like is the *occasional* scare-me-to-pounding-heart-death nightmares it gives me. (Had a whopper of a nightmare last night). I'm not sure what other drug there is that I can take for sleep. I've tried a number of them."

Another Nightmare March 3, 2019

For Sedation: "I'm going to punish my doctor for this poison! I took 50 mg 4 days ago and I can't still go to work, I'm so tired I can't even walk for 1 hour before crashing. I feel like I'm dying."

John March 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was taking hydroxyzine hcl 25 mg for anxiety....but all it did was make it worse and to me when I was coming down off the medication I would go back into a full panic attack. On the medication it makes you hallucinate and seeing and hearing things. I stop taking it immediately. Currently trying to get on another medication."

Britt February 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "hydroxyzine has been so helpful for me. I just started college and took a public speaking class. I was having severe panic attacks, it really helped me to be more relaxed when going up in front of strangers. I also have insomnia and I have taken many over the counter drugs. I've also taken ambian. I stopped taking that because of the side effects so I started taking benadryl it helped for awhile until it didn't. Since I've been taking hydroxyzine I've slept well. I think the best thing about this drug is that it is not habit forming it helps with both insomnia and stress and anxiety."

j.o. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have no idea what doctors are thinking, prescribing 25 mg and more of this stuff to people. 2.5 mg is perfect for my anxiety. I take a quarter of a 10 mg pill as needed and get instant relief from anxiety and all of my other neurological symptoms of chronic lyme disease. This stuff calms everything right down, but in tiny doses it's still effective without leaving you on the couch all day like that first 50 mg dose did for me. This has stopped so many panic attacks for me. Why they don't come in 2.5 mg tablet is beyond me."

User73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2019

For Pruritus: "I do NOT recommend this for allergies or itchy skin. Or, at all based on my experience! I was prescribed 25 mg (2 tablets a night) in November 2018. I began noticing that I seemed angrier, more anxious, and more prone to big mood swings. Awful!! I finally called the doctor today and she admitted hydroxyzine can cause these symptoms! UGH! The sad part is the drug maker doesn't name any of these symptoms in the possible side effects section. Please stay away from this medicine as it could make you more anxious, angry, and emotional. I will return to Zyrtec, Eucerin lotion, and almond oil after showering for my itchy skin. Please be aware and best wishes!!"

Anita (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2019

For Sedation: "I thought I was THE ONLY PERSON that woke up VERY groggy after taking this for a full nights / 8 hours sleep . I even tried 1/4 of the 50mg pill still woke up groggy . It took me about 2 hours to get " right " by taking a long shower and drinking water .. lots of water ! I don't like this medicine ! I have to find something else so I can SLEEP & not wake up feeling like a zombie ."

Elle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

For Pain: "I had four teeth pulled at the same time. Bad idea. The pain was horrendous. I took hydroxyzine/gabapentin together...this has been my only relief in five damn days of horridly, horrid, horrible mouth and jaw pain. Does NOT work on anxiety for me."

Roxigirrl January 28, 2019

For Anxiety: "Nightmares is all this medication did for me, I do not recommend it. Doctors who prescribe these could care less about your well being. This medication is garbage , I can't believe a doctor would give 3 a day , for what ??? If its prescribed for sleep why take during the day? I think doctors should take this medication before prescribing to anyone."

Tj (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This should only be taken for acute anxiety. It’s extremely effective for stopping panic attacks and excessive worrying, but it is not good to take if you have to complete tasks. It utterly floors you. If you’ve experienced a traumatic event and do not mind being less functional, it will help greatly, especially if you want to get some sleep. But do not take this regularly before work or exercise. I’m a bodybuilder and run quite a lot, but I only take the medication afterward. I would not recommend long-term use, but I’ve been going on 5 years and it is still astoundingly effective when I start panicking and getting irritable. I usually just take it a couple hours before sleeping or earlier if I’m panicking. So, effective as hell, but floors you, but you will not be dysfunctional or overly foggy. It’s effectiveness is actually on par with Xanax, but there is no euphoria or risk for addiction, which is common in anxiety patients."

JBreezy1 January 25, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "My son, who is 33, was given Vistaril, after going to emergency room, with an autoimmune rash, that was flaring up. He was told to take one to two 25mg capsules every 6 hours, as needed for itching. He began acting very strange. I worked, so I was being told of his behavior by his brother and step dad. I told him to stop taking, then I took the pills away, and flushed them. I counted them, and in the 6 days he had them, he only took 5 pills. This is what vistaril did for him, it caused visual and auditory hallucinations, severe paranoid anxiety, extreme dry mouth, tremors, stuttering, and many other things. He thought everyone was trying to kill him, everyone he looked at had rivers of tears running down their face. It is killing me hearing all of it. He’s been very traumatized. Hopefully, he will be able to feel better soon."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2019

For Pain: "25 mg of this drug is literally the only thing that helps my migraines. Takes about half an hour to work and I still am aware of my headache but it makes the pain much more tolerable and eliminates the accompanying nausea. I’ll take the profound sedation from this over migraine pain any day"

Happyhead (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2019

For Sedation: "TL:DR (Too long: didn't read)- Do your sleep hygiene, schedule time to be groggy when you wake up, drink plenty of water. Full story: History of insomnia, sleep paralysis, anxiety, and depression. I’d started drinking alcohol to get my brain to shut up so I could sleep. Decided that needed to stop so I tried hydroxyzine. (Used Benadryl to fall asleep before, but it only gets me four hours.) Works great for me. Makes me a bit sleepy, but mostly it dulls the anxiety-chatter so I can fall asleep. Still have to do my sleep-hygiene routine before bed - won’t knock me out, just makes the sleep-hygiene stuff work. I take it when I know I can get eight hours. Waking up is hard, but I’ve always woken up hard and this isn’t much worse than usual. Been giving myself two hours to fully wake up before I have to leave the house for decades, so this hasn’t been an adjustment for me. It does noticabealy dry me out. It’s better when I take it with a big glass of water and then continue to hydrate the next day."

Ihatemornings (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribe this medication for my anxiety along with 600 mg ibuprofen it helps relax me and sleep better but I sleep for a long time and find it hard to wanna get up. I think marijuana smokers shouldn’t smoke while taking this medication it caused me hallucinations and paranoias"

Tamara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’ve been on this med 10mg for a few months now. It’s helped me sleep and works well for my anxiety. I take this with Lexapro and I feel great. I can take 4 times a day if I need to or I only have to take once maybe twice depends on how my day goes."

Shera January 13, 2019

For Sedation: "I was up for 4 or 5 days at a time - my mind would not sleep. Trazodone killed my stomach. Lunesta is consistent in sending me to sleep but also gives my stomach issue. Amitriptyline 20mg worked for only 9 days and raised my blood pressure by 20 points. Hydroxyzine has been the only drug that worked for me so far (well, besides Benadryl), and it has been working for 8 months now. I've tried multiple brands, and TEVA is the one brand that works for me. I have a 25mg script, and I cut off a fraction of it. By itself it no longer sends me to sleep, so I add a sleep aid (cherry juice, jujube, sesame seed, melatonin, glycine, chamomile tea, kiwi, papaya juice, collagen). Sleep aids all stop working after a few days, and I have to move on to the next one, and that is why sharing your experience on internet is so important. I hope you find a solution to your challenge."

SleeplessHead January 10, 2019

For Anxiety: "Took a half of pill of 25mg Hydroxizine HCL around 1pm . Knocked out at 6 pm . I heard my baby crying (waking up) and I couldn't even open my eyes or move . It's like my body was too knocked out to get up when I wanted to . Upon forcing myself out of the deep sleep I guess is what gave me that groggy feeling . The mini hangover as if I needed to hydrate myself . I'm going to try it again today but I'm only going to take half of the half of pill.(yip that's a quarter of a pill). Thank God I didn't take the whole 25mg . Idk what would've happened to me . It did help my racing thoughts but nothing the nervousness and knots in my stomach but I will keep trying as small amount then maybe build myself up . Benadryl works way better than this for me and when it does knock me out I'm able to get up when I want to but benadryl severely drys me out and dehydrates me and dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019