User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 23 reviews 52 medications

Pain 13 reviews 1089 medications

5.3
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 418 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "Ice been taking hydroxy 50mg for a month now for anxiety and it does calm me down and not to mention the itching every where i get on my body when being anxious. Love it i usually try and take it at bed time only cuz it does knock me out"

Cholostryanxious July 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffer from extreme panic attacks when being alone and I feel that all this medication did was make me extremely drowsy. The first two days I took this medication, all I could do and wanted to do was lie around. I had no motivation to do much and I felt on edge. Although it gave me a calming affect and helped my anxiety a little, I wish this wouldn't make me so drowsy. Will talk to doctor and hopefully be prescribed something different."

Warhawk1997 July 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was recently diagnosed with anxiety, like 1 month ago. I really thought I was going to die, anxiety was the worst thing that ever happened to me, it frustrated me to hear the doctors say just deep breath your not going to die, like they truly didn't understand the feeling, anxiety is the worst feeling ever, I cried 3 days straight constantly feeling like the air was being taken from me and just depressed it was hard to describe the amount of emotions I felt. My doctor prescribed this medication and to be honest it's the best thing that ever happened to me. From now and then I can feel my chest tightening but never as severe. I just want to let those who feel helpless know if I got through it you can to be strong you can do it"

mixie (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started taking this about a month ago because my anxiety gradually got so bad that I didn't sleep for a week. The first few nights it worked amazingly but it was difficult to wake up but then I'd be very alert and awake all day. However, my doctor told me to take it twenty minutes before bed and I would not feel the effect until much later. I actually took my dose about 40 mins ago and I'm just now starting to relax."

sleeplessdove July 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "Was prescribed hydroxyzine originally by a doctor who saw me in an ER for a panic attack. Since taking hydroxyzine everything has gotten worse. Even though I've stopped taking it, I'm still not back to where I was. Since taking hydroxyzine, I've hit an a new low & I'm having trouble coming back from it. While on hydroxyzine I thought I was going insane. Seeing things, hearing voices telling me to kill myself, paranoid to the point that I felt like people were following me & out to get me, started smoking, barely slept & always felt like a ticking time bomb. Quit my job outta nowhere because I couldn't handle anymore stress, getting outta bed every day was too hard. This medicine is horrible. Wouldn't recommend to anyone with depression/anxi"

akabrit94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've dealt with severe panic disorder my whole life, if i feel on the edge i will take the hydroxzine and it will take my anxiety down and help me rest. The down side is if i go into a severe panic attack it does nothing for me. I had to go to court so i took six 50mg (every 2 hours) it had no effect because i hate standing in front of people, i was still panicking. Where i live (and probably most places now) people take advantage of benzodiazepine and other drugs so no doctor will prescribe them to me. I am the exact person that needs them and i will not take advantage. I have never tried xanax because I don't take anything that's not prescribed to me, but I'm curious to see if it would work because I'm desperate."

anxiety ridden 04 July 9, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been struggling my entire life with mental health issues that I didn't realize were there. I have extreme anxiety and have always found it so hard to talk to people with out stuttering and feeling stupid. I experimented many different meds Vistaril seriously changed my life. I am so much happier and so much calmer than I've ever been, I feel like a new person."

Finally over July 3, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm prescribed 3 max MG a day for 5 years and it never has worked for me . I freak out all the time but the Dr I think gets some sort of deal due to they still want me to take them."

nervous wreck 101 July 3, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This medication coupled with a benzodiazepine is wonderful. It makes your body feel better and is non addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It works very well for me as a rescue medicine. If taken mid panic attack it definitely helps to calm me; however, if I take it before I am going to be in a situation that I know will cause anxiety it doesn't have much of an effect to keep me from having an attack. It definitely makes me sleepy."

For the birds June 17, 2016

For Anxiety: "I got a little nervous after talking to hey friend I haven't seen in over a year and as soon as I took the pill after about a minute I felt great."

Toby master June 14, 2016

For : "It works very well . I sleep so better ever since I stared taking my pills"

Shondadjdjsjdhiwkkdjdhjdksjs June 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "Started this med two weeks ago. I have anxiety and bi polar and I'm on 25mg twice a day as needed, I've taken all but one dose since prescribed. It has helped me a lot. I have been a lot less irritable, I've had less muscle tension and plainly more functional day to day. I definitely still have a good bit of anxiety but this has made a noticable difference. I have had no side effects at all which is a miracle since I usually get every single side effect to every med I take. Hoping to move up a dose soon to see if that helps. Love this medicine."

Econ June 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "I asked for this medication on advice from a person who said it worked great. I have Xanax for anxiety from perimenopause and didn't want to rely on a benzo when things get really bad. I only take Xanax very rarely but thought if there was something non addictive that would help, that would be great. I regret taking the first 10mg pill. I felt like I was having my heart racing in my sleep after taking the pill at bedtime. I woke groggy and out of it. It is now the next day and I am a walking zombie with anxiety and dizziness. I feel like I can't function and when I tried to nap, I could feel my heart racing again. I feel so out of it and just found out that this will not leave my system for up to 40 hours. I feel disconnected and blah."

jellybeans529 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "Just woke up from sleep, for the 6th time in the space of an hour. This thing give me weird dreams, and I'm not joking by that. I almost felt I was developing schizophrenia. It seems to blur the distinction between the dream state and reality: I was asleep but I could still move, although in a very slow, paralyzed manner. The interactions with people in my dreams were insanely vivid. This is not the first time, but the dreams have never been this wild! Tired, but scared to go back to sleep. Oh, it does help with slowing down the body and relaxing muscle, but it seems to wear off as quickly as it sets on."

Larklans June 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Not for everyone... BUT; I myself had a great experience with this drug. I was prescribed for my anxiety (mostly at night before bed) and it works wonderfully. Not a "high" feeling whatsoever, but simply relaxed, maybe a bit drowsy, but definitely not high. Great for anxiety, but everyone's different."

Anxiety/Depression (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

For Anxiety: "Due to family illnesses, family addictions and marital problems I had been having severe anxiety and panic attacks that seemed to be getting worse and I was having difficulty sleeping at night. I was prescribed 50mg Hydroxyzine up to 3 times a day as needed for anxiety. After about 10 mins of taking my first dose it was as if someone snapped there fingers and the weight of the world was finally lifted off my chest and I could breath. This really helped melt away my anxiety. I didn't feel numb or drugged but I felt relaxed. It was like a heavy, and grounded feeling. I did sleep a lot the first two days I took it but I feel like that was due to my body finally getting to catch up on some much needed rest. I feel like in have my life back :-)"

Mandy1987 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

For Sedation: "I am a heavy drinker that doesn't want to quit drinking his pint of Vodka every evening. However, I suffer from MDD so I take 20Mg lexapro every other day and sometimes I cut the pill in half for only 10Mg in the morning due to sleepiness. Vistaril was prescribed as an anti anxiety solution over Ativan -- which just made me want to drink more. Vistaril at bedtime has given me the most solid 8 -10 hours of sleep with awesome vivid dreams, strange sometimes yes, but man, the REM is fantastic and I truly feel energetic when I wake up now."

Dual Diagnosis Dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2016

For Sedation: "I love this medication... when I lay down for sleep at night I cannot turn my mind off. Its so frustrating! My doctor recommended this medication because its non habit forming. It works like a charm for the most part... I will still wake up sometimes but I am so relaxed I can easily fall back asleep. I don't have a problem getting up in the morning or starting my day. My only concern is taking this medication everyday and hope its not harmful to my body."

Falen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2016

For Allergies: "I was prescribed this medication when I was 7 years old to treat my skin allergies and it really helps me. It's the kind of medicine that relaxes you and clears your tension to the point where it makes you very sleepy. A major side effect of this drug is that it causes drowsiness so it would be best to take it maybe 2 hours prior to your bed time. I also always wake up very hungry and I believe it has something to do with your hormones. It can be taken to reduce anxiety, help insomnia, or maybe even increasing your appetite. Never experienced anything bad from it. Been on the medication for 12 years."

Ash28376 (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2016

For Sedation: "My experience : I was prescribed 1-2, 25 mg tabs before bed for sleep. It did put me to sleep in about an hour to 2 hours and I would only wake up once during the night but the grogginess, zombie-like feeling made it very difficult to wake up and stay up the rest of the day. I would sneak in a nap or two. It would finally wear off around 4 in the afternoon. After about a month, I stopped taking it."

srilamm (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

For Sedation: "This was prescribed to me the same day I was diagnosed with depression to help aid me sleep more. I average 3-4 hours of sleep per night. The 100mg dose prescribed to me did help give me a relaxation and heavy feeling. However, I still slept just as terribly, and in addition to walking up frequently I was hallucinating even more than I generally did because of my terrible sleep. In the morning I was unable to get out of bed and remained there for an additional 8 hours waking up about every 5 minutes. My body felt extremely heavy and tired and not refreshed in any way. If a doctor prescribes this to you to help you sleep and you don't have any anxiety, I'd say stay away."

ZuluNine May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this at a in patient drug rehab center. They wouldn't allow me to stay on my klonopin or any other"Benzos". I ended up being very sick and the rehab center sent me out to hospital after I had a seziure from withdrawal. The hospitalI was put in gave me a shot of valium. Then by mouth they put me on phenobarbital. Anyhow, the hydroxyzine did nothing for me personally. I never abused my klonopins or urgeso many people dying by taking handfuls of them is making it hard to find a psychiatrist who should know not all people on klonopin,xanax, etc. have anxiety they taste it for a buzz or to sell. It makes it hard on is who really do have panic/anxiety disorders, and P.T.S.D. I think hydroxyzine is nothing better then a benadryl."

MYKIDSAREMYLIFE04280610 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "It didn't have much effect the first 2 nights but , after that I've had the most vivid dream state i have ever experienced & stay asleep throughout the entire night , sometimes I wake up well rested and there are times I wake up really drowsy. It kinda helps me calm down at night I haven't taken any during the day because I don't want to fall asleep during the day but overall it helps me a lot. Better than any other medication for insomnia that I have taken."

geny-r. (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine and Benadryl saved my life!!! I took a trip for 4 months to Wisconsin. In the last month I was full blown with panic, sense of fear, insomnia, fear of being alone! I thought it must be from stress, but I was wrong! I left that state and returned to Florida, my home land, and again the insane anxiety, and after 2 trips to ER I was prescribed hydroxyzine. Walla my suicidal thoughts were gone! And now I can sense the symptoms coming and I pop a pill of either and I'm good. ❤"

Brito May 5, 2016