User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 25 reviews 52 medications

Pain 14 reviews 1092 medications

5.4
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 449 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this to help with my anxiety. It felt like I took Xanax and I could not stay awake. The next day it was hard waking and getting up. I definitely wont take this anymore lol."

Hoppergc September 26, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: "Taking Vistaril to help me sleep. I work nights, it's particularly difficult to sleep. This med just helps me to doze off & stay asleep. There's no "drugged" feeling when I wake up. I do feel like it takes a little longer to get fully awake, but don't feel hung over like trazodone made me feel. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a very good non-narcotic sleep aid."

Cjprc39 September 26, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Good experience; have some sleepiness/sluggishness (not sure if related)???"

Me-me (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "This works well for me while not coupled with any other substances. I took it about a decade ago with Paxil and did not notice any benefiial affects because I was so sedated and out of it from the Paxil but now I am taking it without any other substances and I notice a very beneficial affect. Only downside is it makes you pretty tired. I have been combatting the feeling w/caffeine, which works for me but may not work for everyone... have sleep panic attacks and night terrors and this is the only thing that's made me sleep soundly in as long as I can remember."

Ang.S (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "This is very good for first time anxiety. It makes you feel drowsy which helps to calm you. Excessive tiredness was the only real side effect I had. However, this may not work for everyone because it does not treat the psychological aspect of anxiety. So even if it makes you tired, you may still feel very anxious. It makes for good short term treatment, but I would talk to a doctor for something else for long term control. On the whole it has helped me very much because I can take it as needed, it's not habit forming, and it's pretty inexpensive. I am happy with the way it has helped me."

Jonny C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "I have really terrible environmental allergies. My allergist has dubbed me his "most allergic" patient. I take Zyrtec and Singulair in the morning but I'm still itching and sneezing by night time. Atarax relieves my allergies at night like magic. It also helps when I have a bad reaction to my allergy shots or when something I'm extremely allergic to is in season. I also like that it relaxes me and makes me sleep. Definitely a bonus. I can also take them as needed or multiple times per day unlike other allergy medicines."

Sneezy McGee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "I take it 3 times a day and it has worked like magic. Almost all my panic attacks have gone away, and just most of my anxiety in general. My only complaint is that i have trouble staying awake in class and at home, but that's probably because I'm also on a couple of other anxiety meds too. Overall, this med has helped me tremendously and I'm really glad i found something that worked"

Lexiloves98 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

For Anxiety: "Helped"

JJ69 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Pruritus: "Was prescribed 25mg tablets to treat poison oak discomfort. I have since tripled the recommended dose and still feel itchy as ever. No side effects have been noted either."

Willdo80 September 2, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm 20 yrs old and Ive been taking this drug for about a month now. I am supposed to take this whenever I have a panic attack but I usually take 1 25mg before bed to calm me down sometimes. It really helps when I'm so anxious that I can't fall asleep. Although I think I might need a higher dose soon. my only complaint is the dry mouth and after waking up you feel really drowsy and you almost have a "light" feeling (not high, its different). Overall I would recommend taking this in the evening if you just need to calm down a bit to sleep."

J459 September 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "Got the prescription of the hydroxyzine 25mgs on a Friday. Picked up my prescription on my way to work. I took 1 pill. I felt great and energetic before I took the pill and probably about 30-50 min., I was in sleep mode. On Saturday, I took a pill in the morning... just to see if it was really the new meds that caused me to feel this way. Yes, same thing happened to me.... I developed extreme dry mouth, extremely tired ( worse than a hangover). All I wanted to do is go lay in my bed and sleep. I stopped taking this medication. I had to work on Sunday evening. This pill would not get out of my system. I drank 2 cups of coffee, chugged water... couldn't get the zombie/sleepy feeling out of my body. BAD BAD MEDICINE!"

Scooter Lee August 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "I don't know why they prescribed this for anxiety. It just feelsvlike a high dose of benadryl and I am just waiting for tu feeling to end, then I wake up feeling like my head is heavy and a lot of pressure. It is very unpleasant. Never taking it again."

Marie Reyes August 29, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "On a low dose (25mg) but helped with anxiety and depression, i feel much better since ive been on it. helped lower feelings of sadness and anxiety, makes it easier to live life."

Youngman August 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "I took this for a while. Have not taken it in like 1 year, boy can I tell a difference. When I do take it I'm calm and can sleep good. Needless to say that the past year I've had major anxiety attacks, I'm going to ask my Dr to prescribe them again since it seems to calm me down."

Gin2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I take 200 mgs at night, it lets me sleep and calms down my mind. It also helps with my eczema and nasal congestion. Warning!!!Do not take this drug if u had or have any heart problems!!!"

Mike M. from California (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Sedation: "I was first introduced to Atarax when I was having trouble sleeping at the mental hospital/psych ward. I was only prescribed 50mg a day and it didn't really help with my sleeping issues. I stopped taking the medicine but one week I started getting really bad anxiety, to the point where I would feel like puking, I decided to take the pills again on 50mg. It helped a lot with anxiety and pretty quickly as well."

Edgemeister36 August 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "Here's what I have gathered so far. My quick background: doctor prescribed visatril and 20mg prozac. * I take 50mg every 4 hours * I have really bad hand tremors but I always have a slightly shaky hand so it doesn't bother me too much. * I also get sensitive hands because I can't stop squeezing my hands together and rubbing on it. * super dry mouth/constant thirst * easier time singing * I take 2 to sleep Along with other symptoms. But honestly being able to get out of bed and be able to say hi to my husband and greet teachers at my kids school without wanting to die is well worth the side effects. Although I think the side effects are just my body getting to do what it wants to do without my anxiety trying to suppress it"

Severe Social Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "My fiancé started this and within a day the worst experience ever. She is a zombie I can't talk to her. Tonight she wrecked our car with our baby inside, lost her phone drove off made it home and 2 hours later when I finally found her she acted like nothing happened. I have never seen her so low and completely out of it. She falls asleep walking"

Please don't take (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "Faithfully taking 25 mg/day with Prozac to help with anxiety and depression. I worry more now than ever. Not pleased with this new concoction."

Wifeywhatnots August 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 10 MG for my anxiety and panic attacks and to help me sleep. I like to use it when I just need to clear my head after a stressful day (don't take that the wrong way- I don't abuse it) to help me get to sleep. It usually puts me out pretty soon but latley it hasn't. Don't know what's up with that.."

Avery H August 18, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I've been take Atarax 50's 3x's daily PRN.. I also take Ativan.. but only if absolutely needed.. I have found that Atarax helps me emensely (sp).. It doesn't make me tired or groggy anymore.. It just calms me down when having some anxiety or feeling out of sorts with my mood.. It does a good job at leveling me out"

Joshy1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

For Allergies: "I love this medication, I have been in and out of hospital due to kidney problems. I can not take any opioids without getting hives this has worked beautifully as long as I take it beforehand I have no problems."

Buffye (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

For Sedation: "Have been taking 10mg for years on a semi regular basis. Only when I need a good sleep or if I slept poorly for a couple days. Don't notice the anti histamine effect, but do sleep well and rested. If nervous system is too aroused it doesn't always work. But for me, its good. Not much side effect apart from slight drowsiness but very short term on waking."

Eds mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 4, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It made me very sleepy. I didn't like feeling so tired. With other medications for anxiety I had more sense of calmness rather than just feeling loopy and tired. I won't use it again"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "Very happy with my experience taking 50 mg. as needed for anxiety and insomnia issues. This med takes the major edge off and calms me and I sleep well. I am also taking Lexapro, which controls my panic attacks but I still experience occasional episodes and this med is perfect. Gets a 10 as a non-addictive alternative to benzos!"

Kensington Eddington (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016