User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 3)

Also known as: Vistaril

5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 852 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Gene April 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "I take this drug as needed along with an anti depressant and anti anxiety medicine. I am prescribed 50 mg of hydroxyzine. If I feel a panic attack coming or I am feeling very anxious, I take this drug. It does its job for me. However it does take a long time to fully kick in. On rare occasions I would have to take 2 pills. Sometimes that doesn’t work so I would have to take a klonopin but like I said that is rare. Generally I just take one and wait for it to kick in however I don’t love the side effects. It causes me to feel irritable. I get a very dry mouth and after I wake up from sleeping I feel dehydrated. Also this medication causes a ferocious appetite for me. It makes me binge eat. Luckily I do not take this everyday or else I would be enormous. I recommend this if you struggle with bad panic attacks or anxiety. It is a good replacement for benzos since they can be addicting. Some people need stronger, like sometimes I do. Everyone is different so it may not be for everyone."

Feelingbetter · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "Okay so I have been taking 50mg every 6 hours for 4 days now. My panic attacks were horrible and honestly I didn't believe this would work for me. I will say that for the first 3 days I had a horrible headache. That's gone today. And I feel like a human being again finally. This medication is helping me so much. And not just with my anxiety but with my depression as well. I'm definitely a supporter now."

Arabj42069 April 14, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Vistaril turned my vision blurry, had bad headaches and it didn't treat by anxiety symptoms that I took it for"

Patty April 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "My dr is stopping all benzos and opiates in his office. I would take .5 of Xanax as needed. They prescribed 25 mg of hydroxyzine instead for my anxiety, I took it once and it did nothing for me. A couple days later I thought I’d try 50mg and within 15 minutes, I felt some relief. Took it later as prescribed and I got so foggy and anxious! Totally so disappointed! I tried yesterday and today at work. I was so panicky and confused that I ended up on the floor today trying to do stretching and muscle relaxation. My face was bright red and my eyes were glassy. They thought I needed an ambulance. I did my stretches etc and tried to go back to work but it was still the same. I finally said to myself I need relief! I took a benzo I still had from my last script and within 15 minutes, I felt some relief. I could think clearly and relaxed a bit. I can’t see me taking it again since it did nothing for me for my anxiety except for that first time."

Your nickname April 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "Avoid hydroxyzine if you want to preserve your IQ. It's for very, very specific allergies and has absolutely no place in the treatment of anxiety. Over regulation is poisoning the public with chemicals like Hydroxyzine, leaving them sick. It's worthless and very likely to aggravate your symptoms instead of help. I know it's too late if you're reading this but STOP! Don't take this garbage for your anxiety!! Fair warning."

Anxious · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 50mg at night for insomnia. It really does help the insomnia. However I have been suffering from relentless panic attacks non-stop all day. The night before yesterday I didn't take it because I forgot and didn't want to take it too late and be groggy in the morning and yesterday I felt great all day, not a hint of a panic attack. Last night took it and today sweating palms and panic attack and mental fog all day. I think for me its causing panic attacks the following day and making me less productive at work. I'm going to talk about it with the doctor and see what they say."

funsize · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "Prior to taking lexapro (10 mg) and hydroxyzine (50 mg), my anxiety and insomnia were out of control. Now I take lexapro in the morning and hydroxyzine at night, and I am able to function like a normal human being during the day and actually fall asleep at night. I used to lay awake all night stressing about not being able to sleep, but now I can actually fall asleep and it has been a total game changer. Originally was taking hydroxyzine in combination with trazadone (50 mg) to combat my insomnia, but this proved to be way too much medication for me. I would have intense nightmares and sleep paralysis, and extreme difficulty getting up in the morning. I had to call out of work when I first started this combination because I could not get out of bed. Sticking with just hydroxyzine has been doing the trick."

User101 · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for anxiety (25mgx4), I was previously on buspur. The day after I started taking this I started to get really sick. I didn’t want to get out of bed, I felt so fatigued, dehydrated, headaches, black diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and sometimes pains when breathing, nausea, hot&cold chills. I didn’t realize it was the medication at first, I thought I just got really sick, yet nobody else in my household was ill. So it was strange (1 gets it, we all get it). So after the 6th day I thought maybe it was the medicine. It made me severely sick. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital I could hardly eat even. The day I stopped taking it my symptoms subsided substantially, the 2nd day of not being on it I had no more symptoms and was completely back to normal."

Bri March 31, 2019

For Sedation: "After the death of my brother, I would just lay in bed at night and cry while I relived the whole situation over. OTC medications that make you sleepy didn't help. I was prescribed 25mg. The first 2 or 3 nights I didn't think it was working. I still was staying awake for hours after getting in bed. I started taking it about 2 hrs before bedtime, and I am now falling asleep within 30 mins of being in bed. My anxiety related to my brother's passing is not gone, but with a full nights sleep I can manage my anxiety better. Also I have never in my life dreamed this much and remembered them. I don't know if it is the medicine or if I am just sleeping good enough to dream. They are pleasant dreams, so they are welcomed."

E · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Helps with panic attacks except it makes me very irritable. It feels like I am going to snap soon"

B* · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "My son was put on hydroxyzine for insomnia and anxiety and sleeps 12 hours straight at night. He doesn't even get up for school it so it effects his school work and everything. When he wakes up he's still tired. I let the Dr know she says for him to take it 4 hours before bedtime and take half of it or stop taking it. He's been doing that and doesn't get any sleep now. There times he sleeps some hours and no sleep at all. So he's taking it again but sleeps a lot. So it's great for his I insomnia but I feel as it's too much sleep. He says the only thing that makes him sleep during the night. But can't wake up for school. He has missed school bc if bit taking up in mornings."

Rosie March 27, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’ve been taking this medicine over a year for my anxiety at first everything was fine but then after 6 months talking it I started having problems with my vision. I have blurry double vision and I cannot see clear from far , I went to the eye doctor and they say I’m fine, I love this medication but I’m worried about my vision , help any one with the same problem "

Ted · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

For Sedation: "This drug was prescribed to me to help with sleep. It did not do anything for me at all. Like taking a glass of water."

IamWho · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

For Sedation: "Works for me for 2 weeks but it stopped working now and I believe my body has developed tolerance to it."

Alex · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 18, 2019

For Allergic Urticaria: "I have chronic hives (unknown cause) and I’ve been on this since 2016. I take 100 mg a day and I keeps me from being COVERED in large red welts all over my body. Of course, if benadryll makes you sleepy and you hate that, don’t take this (I feel like that should be common sense but whatever)."

Cheryl2280 · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

For Sedation: "I tried this for sleep as my dr said it is used often to help people sleep. I will say it makes you tired. Exhausted actually but 2 hours later I wake up with like almost panic attack symptoms and I have to take a benzodiazepine to combat them. They then last all through the following day. I am so thirsty that I feel like I ate an entire container of salt. The shaky feeling stays with me the entire next day along with feeling exhausted. Like my body is drained. This may work for some people but definietly not for me. Never again"

Gotm · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine works for my anxiety it definietly makes me feel tired but gets rid the anxiety really well. Also be careful as I took it at work the other day and I felt a high affect and I didn’t like that."

Delilah · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2019

For Sedation: "Hydroxyzine works well initially on high dosage (50 mg a couple times a day) Nightmares, food cravings, mid night as well & unsteadiness during most of day are not welcome side effects but alprazolam etc are off the table & @ least this allows me to rest & not end up shaking from head to toe though mostly extremities."

sgherna March 7, 2019

For Anxiety: " hydroxyzine is the worst anxiety medication ever. Made me stay up all night and caused my legs to feel tingly numb and extremely restless (feels like I’m kicking). The following day I feel so weak and in pain. It’s making my anxiety worse. So disappointing. I have taken benzos I’m the past and they worked wonders. I have a new doctor and he will not prescribe. Sadly this is the second medication that he has given me that caused a serious negative effect. I am bipolar two with severe anxiety disorder also on lamital"

Angie March 6, 2019

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine is a strong antihistamine and it will only be useful for immediate use. My anxiety gives me insomnia so this helped with both that and panic attacks. Yes, at first it will knock you out so I recommend taking it before bed for a week or so to get your body used to it. If you're like me and get groggy after taking sleeping medicine the night before, make sure you're leaving yourself enough time in the morning to get ready for work if you have to. Eventually the tiredness feeling won't overpower you. I'm ranking it at 7/10 because since I taking it pretty much daily to help me sleep I've noticed an increase in nightmares. I never usually dream so the fact that 5 out or 7 nights a week are nightmares is strange and I believe it could be partly due to the hydroxyzine. So, 7/10 for me but I recommend trying to get past that first phase or cutting it in half if it puts you to sleep too quickly."

rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been on this for 6 months now and I take two 25mg capsules twice daily- once upon awakening and one before bedtime. I read others' reviews and I can't relate. It doesn't make me sleepy, I've had no adverse effects, I don't feel any different outside of not being so "paranoid" and just more like my normal self. Frankly, Its a Godsend."

Mlg · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2019

For Anxiety: "It does help me with anxiety & quickly too. However it makes me very sleepy."

Another Nightmare March 3, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have been taking 1/2 to sometimes 3/4th of a 25 mg pill of hydroxyzine for a while for insomnia. What I don't like is the *occasional* scare-me-to-pounding-heart-death nightmares it gives me. (Had a whopper of a nightmare last night). I'm not sure what other drug there is that I can take for sleep. I've tried a number of them."

John March 3, 2019

For Sedation: "I'm going to punish my doctor for this poison! I took 50 mg 4 days ago and I can't still go to work, I'm so tired I can't even walk for 1 hour before crashing. I feel like I'm dying."

Britt February 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was taking hydroxyzine hcl 25 mg for anxiety....but all it did was make it worse and to me when I was coming down off the medication I would go back into a full panic attack. On the medication it makes you hallucinate and seeing and hearing things. I stop taking it immediately. Currently trying to get on another medication."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)