User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 5)

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Allergies

Anxiety
5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 801 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy."

Savannah (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Allergies: "Atarax works for the itchiness I get from allergies but does not stop my nasal congestion from them"

Smitten94 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

Ivanisgreat (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Anxiety: "Both my daughter & I were prescribed this for anxiety. Waste of time. Just a glorified antihistamine."

L (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

For Anxiety: "Used mainly for anxiety, then allergies. Using 2 months started 1 tab 10 mg daily. At first seemed ok but then a few weeks in I noticed blood sugar coming down. I began 2 tabs a day and head felt spacey, and began to lose my voice. I felt like I was losing my balance and felt weak. Went back to one tab daily but voice not back it's been a week. Have high blood pressure and diabetic and I can tell I'm getting a bad reaction. Now my insomnia is back. I'll stop it completely because it's not helping me. Dr originally prescribed 10 mg 3 times daily. I'd be passed out on the floor if I took that much. Very bad for me."

Roxanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

For Anxiety: "I get loopy from this medication. I use it for panic attacks and after about 15-30 minutes you can start to feel it. It works great. Makes it impossible to focus though and makes me feel kinda high. Not in a bad way though and I've not had a problem with it yet."

Eve (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I like vistaril. I'm on a myriad of other drugs. I find it funny when people say it is prescription Benadryl. One Benadryl puts me out. If you re looking for the same effect as a benzo... keep moving. It takes the edge off. I do not take it PRN. I take it daily. You just feel relaxed and care less about your problems. I take 100mg 2 Daily. I hope it helps."

BipolarBarry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Anxiety: "Makes me tired so I’m more anxious I won’t get jobs done that must be done. Racing thoughts still. Still panicking but just too tired to fuss :/"

Alk (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’ve been on 50mg of hydroxyzine for about two years now. I have a very severe panic disorder and I take them as needed up to twice a day. I started taking them when I was thirteen, and now as a eighteen year old I am having memory problems due to being on it for such a long period of time. I wouldn’t recommend starting your teen at a dose this high, please consult your doctor!"

Usherhouse (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "I haven't been taking Vistaril for long but I just want to share with anyone considering this drug that it has helped me SO much. I've been battling for almost a year now with different combinations of meds. I am on lithium & was taking Lexapro to help with the additional anxiety/depression I was having and it caused hair loss and I couldn't stay awake or focus. I stopped it and my psych prescribed the Vistaril because I can take it as needed. I don't feel sedated, I feel relaxed. It helps with the depression purely because it eases my anxiety. This morning I had an anxiety attack and even though the Vistaril kicked in when it was over, it helped me handle the residual feelings I was having and I was able to turn my day around and make it a good one. If you don't like it, you can just stop taking it.. but give it a fair shot."

Manda (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "I've enjoyed the relaxing effect of this. I've been using it regularly for 6 months now. I realize that there are many ways to view this, but am just glad that it fit my expectations very nicely."

cochristian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

For Allergic Urticaria: "I got the syrup which I could use as little as I wanted to it was better for me as I like to control the dose. I had hives that drove me nuts I took half a teaspoon and had very little side effects, the pills forget it!"

bad redhead (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Anxiety: "This med was given to me for itching caused by anxiety. I've been on this drug for 2 months. I am happy this works for some folks but still itch, am anxious and am unable to sleep. 25 mg 3 x day for me with no results."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was given hydroxyzine 25 mg three times a day to help reduce my need of as many benzos. To say it's useless is false. I have very high anxiety this settles my heart with my kolopin and helps me sleep at night. Great for stomach issues as well. Overall this drug can help and with very little side effects."

Omann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2018

For Sedation: "I take 20 mg of hydroxyzine to fall asleep. It works wonders for me. It lets me fall into a deeper sleep much faster. I sleep for a solid 8 hours uninterrupted with this dose. The downside to this drug is that it’s much more difficult to get up in the morning. I offset this by sleeping earlier so I have more time in the AM. I also get dry mouth. Other than that, it’s an effective sedative."

AJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Anxiety: "Did not work at all for me. An hour after I took it I had a panic attack. Since then I’ve been on edge. If you already have anxiety and antihistamines make it worse be sure to mention that to your doctor. They didn’t as me so I didn’t think anything of it "

Liz (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

For Sedation: "I was prescribed this for panic attacks. Does not work for panic attacks as it can take an hour to hit you and all it really does is make you tired. I was still having tremors and myoclonic jerks trying to sleep in the middle of a long attack. However it was really good for sleep even though I built a tolerance to it fast. It does have a bit of a calming effect I could see useful for mild worrying. I'm also very sensitive to medication as several have put me in the ER so just not having any severe effects puts a drug at least a 5 and then some if it does something helpful. I found this to be easily tolerated as long as you don't suffer from bradycardia."

s'ok (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "My update from last May actually. I was given these to take almost same time last year for anxiety/panic and breathing issues. I took for about two weeks as needed, but only 10mg because they knocked me flat on my back for hours on end and suffered extreme drowsiness and dry mouth afterwards. While they seemed to help my anxiety because I was either asleep or almost paralyzed in bed, so I couldn't function and was agitated because of how they made me feel. So,I stopped taking them and it's almost a year later. Weather has just recently got warmer where I'm at and I'm short of breath again and anxious again and panicking again! Weird.. allergies IDK, while I didn't care for them, I don't know fully because I couldn't take them for long, side effects were too much. I'd give them a try though, everyone is different."

Gadgrl (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "Psychiatric Rx. Prescribed 25 mg up to 3 times daily. Taking as needed. I get anxiety with shortness of breath. Helps a great deal. Sedating. Less anxious. Was taking only once in a while, but I am now starting to take 3 times daily to ward off constant anxiety. So far, great drug."

CrossWalker (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For Sedation: "I agree with the others about the after effect. It was like I drank a keg of beer. And, these were only 10 Mg prescribed 1 or 2 for sleep. I think that so called "doctor" was trying to make my life worse. Never again."

TJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have bipolar manic depression, extreme anxiety and extreme OCD of hair pulling (trichtotillmania). My psychiatrist prescribed this and 3 other medicines but this is two 25mg 3 times a day. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and it makes me shake but I haven’t pulled my hair since being on it and have been calmer since being on it. This has been amazing for me. I can’t praise it enough."

Lindz (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Hydroxyzine for hives, specifically 25mg. Some brands that I tried gave me headaches. I would take maybe a 1/2 - 1/4 of a pill (they would knock me out so would I take the KV Tech before bed) and alternate days Zyrtec with and would relieve my condition for about 4-6 months. Needless to say a bottle of 30 would last quite a while. A few days ago I called in a refill of the same KV Tech 25mg. This bottle doesn't do anything. Doesn't stop the itching or put me to sleep. Normally would knock me out and very deep sleep. Nothing ! I wonder if somebody is making these pills on the black market and distributing them. I had this filled at a national brand pharmacy. Has anybody had this problem?"

Chris April 28, 2018

For Anxiety: "I started this in conjunction with Zoloft to treat my debilitating night time Anxiety. I started with 25 mg at bed, the first night and immediately went to sleep worry-free. Woke up the next morning late and was foggy brained the next day. Now I only take a half a pill before bed if I'm wound up and need help to sleep. Works perfectly. I no longer have anxiety, though the Zoloft is likely the contributor."

Sugafree23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "My GP prescribed this to take as needed. Taking nothing worked just as well."

TWJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "I can't help but wonder if these reviews are sarcastic or not. This drug does not work (for me) AT ALL. 100mg...nothing...200mg...nothing...300...nothing. Coming from a 24 year old girl."

Ivey April 22, 2018