Generic name: Hydroxyzine Injection [ hye-DROX-i-zeen ]
Brand name: Hyzine
Drug classes: Antihistamines, Miscellaneous anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 11, 2023.
Uses of Hydroxyzine Injection:
- It is used to treat anxiety.
- It is used to treat mood problems.
- It is used to treat upset stomach and throwing up.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Hydroxyzine Injection?
- If you have an allergy to hydroxyzine or any other part of hydroxyzine injection.
- If you are allergic to hydroxyzine injection; any part of hydroxyzine injection; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had a long QT on ECG.
- If you are in early pregnancy. Do not take hydroxyzine injection during early pregnancy.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take hydroxyzine injection.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with hydroxyzine injection.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take hydroxyzine injection with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Hydroxyzine Injection?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take hydroxyzine injection. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how hydroxyzine injection affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- An unsafe heartbeat that is not normal (long QT on ECG) has happened with hydroxyzine injection. This may raise the chance of sudden death. Talk with the doctor.
- Unsafe heart problems and sometimes death have rarely happened when hydroxyzine injection was given with alcohol or certain other drugs that may slow your actions. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use hydroxyzine injection with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using hydroxyzine injection while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Hydroxyzine Injection) best taken?
Use hydroxyzine injection as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a muscle.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Feeling confused.
- Rarely, a very bad skin reaction has happened with hydroxyzine injection. Signs include fever and many small skin spots within large areas of redness and swelling. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash or any of these signs.
- Tissue damage has happened with hydroxyzine injection. Sometimes, this has led to surgery. Tell your nurse if you have any burning, color changes, pain, skin breakdown, or swelling where the shot was given.
What are some other side effects of Hydroxyzine Injection?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Hydroxyzine Injection?
- If you need to store hydroxyzine injection at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about hydroxyzine injection, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you take hydroxyzine for anxiety and sleep?
- Can hydroxyzine be taken long-term?
- Does Benadryl help with or cause anxiety?
- When can I start drinking if I’m no longer taking hydroxyzine?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
More about hydroxyzine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (1,346)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: antihistamines
- En español
- Hydroxyzine drug information
- Hydroxyzine (Intramuscular) (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyzine (Oral) (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyzine Capsules and Tablets
- Hydroxyzine Syrup
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.