User Reviews for Xolair

Asthma, Maintenance 39 reviews 118 medications

8.4
Summary of Xolair reviews 76 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Xolair

For Asthma, Maintenance "I can't really rate the drug itself, since I've never taken it. I don't even meet the criteria to be on it, that of the maker or of my insurance. But, the pulmonologist was pushing me to get on it. He called me on the phone, but only told me the name, and that the insurance would cover it. I looked it up, I've only been in the hospital once for asthma, for 2 days, in my life (at 60), no ER trips for it for years, not on ICS because I can't use them due to severe side effects in me. I told him he must be thinking of another patient. Then he tried using the result of the IgE test, and fact I have pets, which I don't even react to. He exaggerated everything about my history. Some sort of Kickback is all I can figure, here. "

Wendy in IL July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I'm taking Xolair for Idiopathic Chronic Urticaria (UCI) after a few years of random allergic reactions (unknown origin) despite 3+ years of allergy shots. My allergist & I have never been able to identify the cause. He recommended Xolair because I have severe asthma as well (allergic, exercise induced and environmental) which was not responding well to 3 inhalers, Prednisone, nebulizer treatments (multiple types), allergy meds/shots, etc. Since starting Xolair over 2 years ago, my UCI has virtually disappeared and my asthma is dramatically better. I can actually go weeks without using Spireva, Dulera, Qvar, albuterol, etc. "

MrsSushi (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I've had hives off and on since 2002. I am 52 years old and I've been diagnosed with Hashimotos and Lupus. I was tired of hive breakouts and constantly taking benedryl. So I decided to start taking xolair. Within a half hour after shot my hands got red and itchy. I told nurse. She seemed unconcerned. Got very tired went home and slept half a day! That night got three hives on leg and arm. Next morning I was achy all over and got dizzy with a headache. I report I also got some chest heaviness. I called doctors and he said it was not from xolair. I can stop benedryl but wants me to continue shots. So far I can't stop benedryl because Im still itchy! I don't know if I should get next dose because I don't want worse side effects.Want to eat again"

nanway (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "Chronic hives for 1 year - took all the antihistimines and prednisone. The only thing that kicked the hives was prednosolone pack that I recently took after the Xolair shot did not work. I have had 8 Xolair shots (monthly injections) and at first they were very effective. After the 6th one, I had recurring hives and angiodema return so I am back on large dose of allertec and nightly taking hydroxyzine. Xolair seems to help with the size of hives and the amount when breaking out. Weight gain is definitely noticed but due to prednisone prior to the shot, I can't be certain it is all due to Xolair. Will continue on Xolair and perhaps look at Kenalog shot."

Long suffering June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "It opens your airways"

Stacey opens (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I am glad to see that so many people had a positive experience with Xolair on this review page, I hope these reviews are real. I was fine on Xolair for about a year, although I will say I did not notice too much difference. In fairness, my asthma was relatively under control at the time with a daily steroid (Symbicort). One day after a shot, I experienced what can only be described as the most ridiculous sounding symptom on the Xolair box, feelings of impending doom. This was 3 years ago and I have suffered from severe anxiety ever since. My life, including my marriage, has been drastically affected by Xolair. PLEASE use caution before taking this and more importantly before letting your children take it."

Ben7781 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I have suffered with hives since I was pregnant with my first child - 7 years ago! I tried everything! Seen an allergist, omitted foods, drinks, soaps - everything. Multiple trips to the ER and steroids. I suffer from migraines but can't take any ibuprofen/advil/tylenol/motrin because they give me hives so bad that my hands swell up nearly to my elbows now. I discovered Xolair and just had my first 2 injections yesterday! Took a while for insurance to approve it. So far I feel fine other than a sore throat, but not sure if that's an actual side affect or my daughter sharing her cold hehe. I read so many of these positive posts and I am so excited to have started treatment!!"

Hivesnme (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I was diagnosed with asthma & allergies 15 yrs ago. I am now 65. In the beginning b4 Zolair injections, my asthma would act up & I would cough 4 weeks until I had such a sore throat, broken blood vessels around my eyes & was just miserable. Around 7 yrs ago, my Dr recommended I start Zolair injections every 2 wks. What a difference, like nite & day. I don't have any side effects either. I seldom have asthma flare ups & very little allergy problems. I still use an inhaler morn & nite & carry a rescue inhaler w me, which I seldom use. What a life saver Zolair injections has bn. I have my life back."

Lendy Lee March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I started my Xolair shots May 2016 after suffering hive out breaks for 5 plus years. The shot worked immediately. I had 9 injections once monthly. Then I had a new insurance provider which requires me to start the regime Allegra, Zantac and Hydroxyzine HCL two times daily then adding Singular. Two days on Singular I had horrible outbreaks called my Allergy Dr. continued on with other meds waiting to get approved for Xolair. The shot cant come soon enough. Now I just hope I can afford it."

Dawne634 March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have just received my 4th Xolair shot. I get them every two weeks. While I do think the shot is making a difference I am also discovering I am having some common side affects. Apparently I am getting dehydrated and have some dizziness. Anyone else have side effects and how long did they last? I was so concerned with the possibility of an anaphylactic reaction I did not catch that I was experiencing common side effects."

FCHebert (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I was a very healthy 52 year old female until my first Urticaria attack in June of 2013. I was taken to the emergency room and treated with IV Benadryl. I was back in ER with the same symptoms 24 hours later. Like many of the posts I read here I went through prednisone, cyclosporine, lotions, potions, etc and about 5 prescription anti-histamines a day from June of 2013 to October 2013 trying to get relief. Nothing worked and I was miserable - not to mention drugged . I found a very good doctor who introduced Xolaire to me. I received my first Xolaire injection in October 2013 (prior to FDA approval for CIU) and am still on it Feb 2017. It's a miracle drug."

LAB_2017 February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I've been experiencing breakouts for months. Have gone through everything everyone else has, so no need to rehash. I'll get to the point for those who are suffering. On January 23, 2017 I received my first injection of Xolair. In less than 24 hours I was already experiencing some mild relief. It's been a full week, not one breakout of hives. It feels like I have my life back."

DCinSanAntonio (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have severe allergic asthma. After two hospitalizations for pneumonia, asthma attacks, anaphylaxis, chronic sinus infections following a childhood of allergy shots, as a young adult I needed constant medication to battle endless infections and hives. With allergy meds (I've tried them all), steroids and typical asthma meds, I had still become dependent on a nebulizer, every 4 hours. After years of struggle, I was actually getting worse working downtown Houston. Xolair changed my life! I went from a sickly, declining 28-year-old to a normal person, requiring nothing else but Benedryl during the spring. I have been taking it for 12 years, including a healthy pregnancy after the first year."

CamiGold (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I'm a male in my mid 30's. Had hives for 3-6 month stretches with 3-6 month breaks since I was 15 years old. Symptoms were as bad as most people on here, but never needed a hospital visit. Got on Xolair shortly after it was approved by the FDA, around 2-1/2 years ago. Hives were gone within 24 hours and usually the only hive I see is if I'm over-extending my time between shots. Started at 2 shots per visit (300 mg total) every 4 weeks. Now taking 300mg every 6 weeks. Works like a charm. Wish they could get the cost down. Even with insurance and assistance programs I still end up paying a large amount out of pocket. All in all a VERY effective medication that I wish had been available years ago!"

a_nickname January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I developed allergies in my 30s and then asthma. Within 5 years the asthma and allergies became severe, having anaphylaxis and systemic reactions to medicines and foods, while inhalents caused severe asthma reactions. I saw 6. Allergy specialists and I was told there wasn't anything else they could do. I had an anaphylactic reaction to both allergy skin testing and an allergy immunolytics therapy injection. Finally in 2008 an allergist recommended xolair. After 4 months I noticed the seasonal allergies and number of asthma issues decreased. I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction since 2010. I now just take Allegra daily and live a regular life."

Davielee (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "It seemed to be working but after ,10 Months and 20 injections, I suffered a severe allergic reaction.Apparantly you can develop a hypersensitivity to the injections,which can cause this.In doing extensive research this is much more common then 1 in a ,1000 people as reported by manufacturer,it is more like ,1 in every 100 people.I was one of those people and have suffered considerable.I have been ill since my last injections on March 31,2016. Was hospitalized 3 times and I am sicker then before using injections. Please research this medication in depth first! I question the safety of this medication!"

Allergic to everything December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I'm getting my first Xolair shot today. Currently I am covered in hives from head to toe, itching severely. My last hive out break was in June 2016 and they went away after 6 weeks on their own. I'm unresponsive to all the medication, prednisone, zyrtec, ranitidine, singular, gabapentin (for itching) hydroxyzine, Benadryl. I take them all when I have a flare up. I'm absolutely miserable and call my allergy specialist daily. This current flare up has been going for a few days and I had some xolair waiting for me in the office since June. I'm excited that this may be the cure that I need to prevent this misery. Will keep you posted."

Ms Pabon December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "Im 58 and female. After a hive free life I left my home in the S J Valley where the air is terrible (pollen and allergens are bad) to go to Hungary. I had no problem there but soon as I got back I had lost all immunity to the valley and hives came. After 9 mnths of hives, huge and tiny, itching, burning swelling hands, bottom of feet itch and swell, 2 trips to ER for anaphylactic shock, epi pen, prednisone, Benedryl, 2 Kenelog shots, Singulair, Zantac, Xyzol, Zyrtec and Xanax, after much research, I found Xolair is the only med approved for hives.I FINALLY got started.I am getting 150mg every 2 weeks rather than 300mg p/mo. It seems slow but gradually better. Still get rash, hives shrunk size and amount, only need 2 pills/not 12. Hopeful.."

Moogybutch November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I developed hives and unknown swelling since I was 18. My life was miserable. I was always in the hospital I hated it sooo much. I was so depressed all the time. I felt like I wasn't living. Xolar really gave me my life back. I have been in it for 5 months so far so good :) I Wish I could hug who ever made this drug!!!"

Tres_cee October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "Had gives for 4 1/2 years. Multiple doctors and medications, this is the only one that worked and gave me my life back. The side effects( hard time losing weight) are worth not being covered in thousands of hives."

Sharkie23 October 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I suffered from UCI for close to a year. Non stop hives with no relief other than steroids. After many allergists one finally suggested xolair. It was covered by my insurance (BCBS). I had 3 shots, 1x per month for 3 months. It's been a year with no issues and I no longer need Xolair. Thank You to the prople who created Xolair. It changed my life!!"

pfboivin October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been taking xolair for 5 years now. It is an amazing medicine. I only have one fully developed lung so I had asthma pretty bad. I am also allergic to elm trees so I would get hives and itching alot when I was outside. No more trips to er anymore and I can go outside and not have to wear jackets in summer due to the trees giving me hives. I have had no side effects so far. All I know is this drug works for me. It has changed my life."

Rebecca M (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "Xolair shots are a life saver! I was completely covered in hives for months and tried every medication possible while still trying to attempt college. I was failing classes and hated life, I was absolutely miserable. My doctor suggested Xolair, but after seeing the price I knew there was no way. However my doctor got my connected to sign up for the pay assistance. Although they are high of cost, they are extremely worth it. I get two shots a month, and it took about 2 months for any difference and than about 4 until i was completely hive free but i have now been hive free since than! I can never thank the Xolair creator enough!"

Minnesota9 September 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I have been battling with hives on and off for almost 15 years. I went to see my local allergist and he said if antihistamines are not working, change your lifestyle such as diet, hair products etc. I gave hope and one day I started looking again as my hives were out of control. Got a second opinion from another allergist and he put me on Xolair. I have received my first shot last week and I haven't had any hives since then. My face is clear and knock on wood hope it stays this way. Such a relief. If you have tried everything and nothing has worked which was my situation, give xolair a shot. Its expensive if you don't have insurance but if you do have insurance, I would suggest giving a try."

Amitesh September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "Awful...was on it for 3 months made my asthma worse...I think if your ige levels are lower than 700 than maybe it could work, but for me mine were so high it didnt. Luckily I didn't have enough to pay buy it cost 10k a mo and I had to spend every other week at the dr"

Hnb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016