User Reviews for Xolair

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Xolair.

Urticaria
8.3

Asthma, Maintenance

Summary of Xolair reviews 8.1 91 reviews

Reviews for Xolair

For Asthma, Maintenance "My experience with Xolair was life changing. I struggled with chronic asthma and allergies my whole childhood and teen years. My allergist prescribed this shot to me, so I could eventually be healthy enough to receive allergy shots. I started Xolair at age 13 and received my last dose of it when I was 16. Xolair was worth the pain, time and money. The serum is extremely thick and I received 3 shots of it every 2 weeks, but nothing compares to the quality of life I have now. I recommend this drug to anyone who has exhausted all options, who has maxed out on maintenance medication, who frequently finds themselves on Prednisone and antibiotics for the common cold, and can't remain healthy enough to receive allergy shots."

Grateful for This Miracle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 10, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "This drug works very well with me! My PFT baseline has gone up however my IgE is still very elevated. My breathing has improved and I hardly ever have to use my inhaler or nebulizer. Before, I’d have to be in the hospital several times a year in the ICU."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2018

For Urticaria "I have been suffering from horrible hives all over my body since June 2017. I took my first Xolair shot 12/8/17 and my hives have gotten worse. I was told by allergy office that I have to get 2 more shots before they consider Xolair to be ineffective. I just hope that I can afford the next 2 shots. No drug should cost this much. Especially if it isn't working!"

Fraudbustinburns December 13, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been on this drug for 6 months and I must be in that % that is doesn't work well for. I honestly feel like a guinea pig and I am going to stop taking this medicine. For all who take it and it work, I am happy for you."

Neicie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

For Urticaria "I am beyond disappointed that Xolair had no effect on my chronic uticaria. For 18 years I have suffered with the disabling disease. My hives are so bad, I can not even wear clothes, because anything touching my skin causes unbearable pain, swelling, redness and my eyes become bloodshot/swollen and puss comes out of them. I also have full blown Lupus and I am Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) B27 positive (Hl1-B7 positive). My life is completely ruined and over. Can't work, have zero support from anyone, live in poverty (than you SSD), lost my home.... horrible situation. Xolair did nothing. Not one thing! Pain, redness, swelling, itching still there after 2 months with two treatments of two shots a month. Beyond depressed. It is hard to live like this."

Chrisnyc123 November 29, 2017

For Urticaria "I am 52 yrs old. On xolair for 3 yrs. I get 2 injections every 4 wks. The shot is painful because the medicine is thick, but having the shot injected at the back of my arm has helped. I've had hives since I was 17. I've been on most of all kinds of allergy medicines. I was on benedryl before it was OTC. I've had lips and eyes swell to beyond recognitions. I've had swollen hands and feet and have waken up in the middle of the night with hives from head to foot. Prednisone was the only thing that has helped before xolair. Insurance companies are a pain though. I missed my last dose waiting on insurance who wants to make sure the other meds won't work. With the missed dose and the appearance of hives I think xolair works."

Vculpmorris November 22, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "6 months 2 injections every 2 week. Sorry guys but no effect at all. Still on 20 mg of prednisone a day . I wish it had worked."

Roy H. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2017

For Urticaria "I was very hesitant to start this medication because of all the warnings I came across online. After 4 months on this medication I can honestly say it has 100% improved my life. I had hives and angio edema covering most of my body. The pain and hives would come and go and change from day to day but I was for the most part homebound because of it. I was taking Benadryl (like tic-tacs), Zyrtec, Singulair, Fatidomide and Prednisone for the really bad breakouts. Within the 1st week after the 1st shot saw significant improvement. Now I only have some breakouts right around the 28th or 29th day of the next shot that is due. I would highly recommend this medication for chronic urticaria."

Madesta November 16, 2017

For Urticaria "I have been getting 2 injections once a month for almost two years now. Before the doctor diagnosed me as having Chronic Urticaria with Angioedema, I went into anaphylactic shock 3 times in a month. Xolair has made a huge difference for me. I have not had any hives since I started getting Xolair injections. My big issue is my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN) requires me to go to a different office within a group in order for them to cover the cost of injections. Every time I have gone to this other office I end up with a hard spot at injection site with major bruising. It is very frustrating. Still outweighs the horrendous hives."

CMSTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I’m 21 and joined the clinic programme when I was 19/20. I was constantly in and out of Hospital with attacks. Since having this I rarely get admitted. I have four injections every two weeks! I always feel tired after treatment and need a good sleep! Other than that. Amazing drug"

Milly B (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2017

For Urticaria "I have been receiving xolair injections for about a year and a half for chronic hives. It has gotten rid of it about 90 percent. Once in awhile I still need one or two 25mg benadryl tabs but overall it seems to be working. I get 150mg injections every 2 weeks. Only side effect is every time I get an injection, within a few days I get 1 hive about 5 inches below injection site. It itches and resembles a bug bite. I know it's from Xolair because I switch arms and it always happens on whichever arm. I have noticed fatigue and exhaustion but not sure that is Xolair related. Sometimes still get pressure hives from underwear where elastic hits but overall much better. Had an insurance problem missed a month hives returned but ok now."

itchy33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been xolair for two months. Wow, what a difference this has made. I would cough all day and used my inhalers more than directed. Now I don't cough much and don't wheeze. I use inhalers once a day now. Two weeks after the first shot I could tell a difference. This is a great drug. I do feel some tiredness with it but it is tolerable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "At the age of 67 I developed allergic asthma after moving to SW Florida. I've had chronic sinusitis for years but controlled it with O/C medications. The multiple asthma attacks (with lack of breath) were daily. I had to use inhalers and a nebulizer. After 2 years of trying different medications the Allergist said "we're going to try Xolair." Used it for 6 months and no change. Have now been changed to Nucala. Too early to tell its effects. An inhaler called QVAR seems to be keeping me in good health until the Nucala does its job."

70inFL (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2017

For Urticaria "I had 1 injection less than a month ago and recently started having the following symptoms: intense fatigue herpes outbreak painful joints in hands and knees neck pain cough sore throat depression"

J Judd August 4, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have had asthma all my life. As I got older it has worsened. I was continuously on steroids. I'm 1 1/2 years post op of my Bronchial Thermoplasty (BT) procedures. I receive Xolair once a month. To be honest it was the best decision I've made. My asthma has remarkably improved and I'm living a life I thought I'd never have. I went dancing and I actually stayed up on the dance floor waiting for the next song. I'm able to go motorcycling and not worry how long I can stay out if I'm going to get winded, where I'm in need of a nebulizer treatment. I'm fully aware I still have asthma, where I go my rescue inhalers and my EpiPen go with me. I'm now enjoying my life thanks to BT and XOLAIR."

Harley Girl from Indiana (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I can't really rate the drug itself, since I've never taken it. I don't even meet the criteria to be on it, that of the maker or of my insurance. But, the pulmonologist was pushing me to get on it. He called me on the phone, but only told me the name, and that the insurance would cover it. I looked it up, I've only been in the hospital once for asthma, for 2 days, in my life (at 60), no ER trips for it for years, not on ICS because I can't use them due to severe side effects in me. I told him he must be thinking of another patient. Then he tried using the result of the IgE test, and fact I have pets, which I don't even react to. He exaggerated everything about my history. Some sort of Kickback is all I can figure, here. "

Wendy in IL July 14, 2017

For Urticaria "I'm taking Xolair for Idiopathic Chronic Urticaria (UCI) after a few years of random allergic reactions (unknown origin) despite 3+ years of allergy shots. My allergist & I have never been able to identify the cause. He recommended Xolair because I have severe asthma as well (allergic, exercise induced and environmental) which was not responding well to 3 inhalers, Prednisone, nebulizer treatments (multiple types), allergy meds/shots, etc. Since starting Xolair over 2 years ago, my UCI has virtually disappeared and my asthma is dramatically better. I can actually go weeks without using Spireva, Dulera, Qvar, albuterol, etc. "

MrsSushi (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2017

For Urticaria "I've had hives off and on since 2002. I am 52 years old and I've been diagnosed with Hashimotos and Lupus. I was tired of hive breakouts and constantly taking benedryl. So I decided to start taking xolair. Within a half hour after shot my hands got red and itchy. I told nurse. She seemed unconcerned. Got very tired went home and slept half a day! That night got three hives on leg and arm. Next morning I was achy all over and got dizzy with a headache. I report I also got some chest heaviness. I called doctors and he said it was not from xolair. I can stop benedryl but wants me to continue shots. So far I can't stop benedryl because Im still itchy! I don't know if I should get next dose because I don't want worse side effects.Want to eat again"

nanway (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

For Urticaria "Chronic hives for 1 year - took all the antihistimines and prednisone. The only thing that kicked the hives was prednosolone pack that I recently took after the Xolair shot did not work. I have had 8 Xolair shots (monthly injections) and at first they were very effective. After the 6th one, I had recurring hives and angiodema return so I am back on large dose of allertec and nightly taking hydroxyzine. Xolair seems to help with the size of hives and the amount when breaking out. Weight gain is definitely noticed but due to prednisone prior to the shot, I can't be certain it is all due to Xolair. Will continue on Xolair and perhaps look at Kenalog shot."

Long suffering June 25, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "It opens your airways"

Stacey opens (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I am glad to see that so many people had a positive experience with Xolair on this review page, I hope these reviews are real. I was fine on Xolair for about a year, although I will say I did not notice too much difference. In fairness, my asthma was relatively under control at the time with a daily steroid (Symbicort). One day after a shot, I experienced what can only be described as the most ridiculous sounding symptom on the Xolair box, feelings of impending doom. This was 3 years ago and I have suffered from severe anxiety ever since. My life, including my marriage, has been drastically affected by Xolair. PLEASE use caution before taking this and more importantly before letting your children take it."

Ben7781 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

For Urticaria "I have suffered with hives since I was pregnant with my first child - 7 years ago! I tried everything! Seen an allergist, omitted foods, drinks, soaps - everything. Multiple trips to the ER and steroids. I suffer from migraines but can't take any ibuprofen/advil/tylenol/motrin because they give me hives so bad that my hands swell up nearly to my elbows now. I discovered Xolair and just had my first 2 injections yesterday! Took a while for insurance to approve it. So far I feel fine other than a sore throat, but not sure if that's an actual side affect or my daughter sharing her cold hehe. I read so many of these positive posts and I am so excited to have started treatment!!"

Hivesnme (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I was diagnosed with asthma & allergies 15 yrs ago. I am now 65. In the beginning b4 Zolair injections, my asthma would act up & I would cough 4 weeks until I had such a sore throat, broken blood vessels around my eyes & was just miserable. Around 7 yrs ago, my Dr recommended I start Zolair injections every 2 wks. What a difference, like nite & day. I don't have any side effects either. I seldom have asthma flare ups & very little allergy problems. I still use an inhaler morn & nite & carry a rescue inhaler w me, which I seldom use. What a life saver Zolair injections has bn. I have my life back."

Lendy Lee March 21, 2017

For Urticaria "I started my Xolair shots May 2016 after suffering hive out breaks for 5 plus years. The shot worked immediately. I had 9 injections once monthly. Then I had a new insurance provider which requires me to start the regime Allegra, Zantac and Hydroxyzine HCL two times daily then adding Singular. Two days on Singular I had horrible outbreaks called my Allergy Dr. continued on with other meds waiting to get approved for Xolair. The shot cant come soon enough. Now I just hope I can afford it."

Dawne634 March 5, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have just received my 4th Xolair shot. I get them every two weeks. While I do think the shot is making a difference I am also discovering I am having some common side affects. Apparently I am getting dehydrated and have some dizziness. Anyone else have side effects and how long did they last? I was so concerned with the possibility of an anaphylactic reaction I did not catch that I was experiencing common side effects."

FCHebert (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017