User Reviews for Zyrtec

Urticaria
7.6

Reviews for Zyrtec

Georgie · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “You are not itching from any kind of addiction. You are itching from the histamine in your system when you stop the allergy meds. Try natural D Hist and Xlear nasal spray instead.”

MeOrYou · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “TERRIBLE. It made my stomach hurt so much, I couldn’t do anything. It didn’t even help. It tasted bad, don’t use this!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I can't stop itching. I've tried cutting pills in half to 5mg. I went down to 2.5mg after that, and THEN trying to stop taking Zyrtec. Guess what? I still can't stop itching. It's been several days and no matter what I do it doesn't go away and it's all over my body. Please don't take this medicine, you may get rebound itchiness when you stop it”

Earthgrow · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I am a nurse who has been taking this for seasonal allergies and I wanted to write my review on Zyrtec. I noticed depression in mood, weight gain, sluggish bowels and some urinary retention. All my seasonal allergy symptoms did not subside to my satisfaction. When getting off Zyrtec you may experience uncontrollable itching that you didn't have before taking the med, I'll tell you how to get off it without the itch. Start taking 10mg Claritin each night for two nights, then cut Claritin in half to 5mg and take for three more nights then stop taking Claritin, that takes the itch away and Claritin doesn't have the withdrawal itch. Once you stop Claritin and Zyrtec you will quickly lose any weight you gained and mood should improve. Hope that helps.”

Nalita · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This medicine is absolutely awful. Please avoid! If you take it long term you will experience the following : 1- weight gain 2- sleepiness 3-irritability 4-heart palpitations 5-sévère anxiety 6-muscle twitches 7- hypertension 8-bloating 9- IBS Those are serious side effects. I implore you to do everything you can to avoid taking this stuff. On a positive note, once you quit all those symptoms will clear within a few days to a week. PS: when you quit you may experience severe Pruritus, please wait it out and refrain from popping another pill, I promise you it will go away despite how miserable it can be. It is like withdrawing from a real drug which is scary. It will subside. ”

Side effects man · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Zyrtec is one strange drug. I've taken it and gotten allergy relief, other times it causes major mood swings. Today is the worst. I took it before bed and woke up feeling exhausted. Then had a minor problem but got totally enraged. I've already eaten breakfast and lunch taken two naps but I have no energy and still feel like anything and everything will set me off. I don't take anything else, I've had no alcohol. The only factor is the Zyrtec. This medication is dangerous and needs to be removed or have more clear warnings.”

Jason85 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have been taking Zyrtec daily for allergies for a year or more daily for allergies. I have tried to stop and like many others I get extreme and intense itching. Scratching does not help and makes large red spots. It does not stop and is a horrible feeling. I also had chest and back pain after stopping. It's horrible and you should not take it. Crazy that they allow this drug. Others posted about weight gain and being tired. This is also something that I have and may have been caused by this drug. Anyway, I have been off it for 3 days. I am hoping this nightmare stops soon because it is a horrible feeling.”

Sleepless in Clermont May 30, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Quitting Zyrtec is the worst! For 4 days now I itch everywhere. Really waning to chop my hands and feet off. Trying not to give in but this is hell. Once this is under control I will NEVER use Zyrtec again. Wish I knew about this before I started.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I am taking zirtec for over 4 years, almost every 1 to 2 days or as needed (Allergic doctor's suggestion) It makes me feel relief of the itching and pollen symptoms but if I stop taking it, my whole body started to react, itching everywhere and producing stress on me. Im trying to quit this medication little by little. Drinking a lot of water with mint plant (3 L.) daily. IT WORKS BUT NOT EASY AT ALL. I increased 1 day each time after take the zirtec and believe is not easy but ignored the side effects and drink a sip of water each time your body itches. Little by little will decrease. I have 8 days without taking this medication. Other than light itching, insomnia, headaches, muscle stress side effects so far. I will keep going ahead. Pharmaceuticals business using us to keep doing their income. It might be a natural replacement if you know please shared!”

Dead man · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I stopped Zyrtec after 4 years of fairly continuous usage, because I was getting terrible rhinitis unresponsive to zyrtec. I now have Zyrtec withdrawal itching - calling it utter nightmare is an understatement. I'm itching everywhere. It's unbearable. I haven't slept for 3 days. I'm on the verge of tears as I type this. This is traumatizing.”

RJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Stay away from this drug (Zyrtec) for seasonal allergies-there are better alternatives. While taking zyrtec, especially if you are older, you may experience dry mouth and accelerated dental caries among other (drowsiness, headache, constipation and miscellaneous other adverse effects). Upon discontinuing zyrtec, you may experience disabling generalized and severe itching without a rash or sometimes with a rash. The itching can occur anywhere on your body-but almost always on the palms and soles. The itching is often severe and unrelenting and often is not associated with a rash. The itching can last for days and weeks. The FDA is aware of this "zyrtec withdrawl syndrome" but to date does not appear too concerned about it. Several hundreds of cases have been reported.”

McCall · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I took Zyrtec for six months and then I had to stop five days before my allergy testing. There absolutely needs to be a warning and side effect statement by Zyrtec informing people about going through withdrawal! After 48 hours of stopping it, I had uncontrollable itching all over my body. It was miserable, embarrassing, and literally felt like I was going crazy! You have no control over it. The only way to stop it is to take another Zyrtec....... it’s exactly like being addicted to pills! It’s all over the Internet, and the FDA has buried some of the information on their website. It’s a terrible, terrible side effect The itching is generalized..... bottom of your feet, palms of hands, scalp, legs, etc. and sometimes you scratch until you bruise. There really needs to be a class action lawsuit against Zyrtec. Please read about it. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone!!!”

ChelseaRay · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Been trying to quit Zyrtec for 6 years. The Zyrtec has a. withdrawal itch is so intense the longest I've made it without caving and taking a pill is 6 days. 6 days of relentless itching. It's the worst in the palms of my hands. If you haven't yet, don't take zyrtec. The withdrawal feels like your entire body is covered in mosquito bites. I don't know how long it lasts, but I know it's at least 6 days.”

JJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “There is not a single good enough reason to start taking Zyrtec. I’ve tried to quit multiple times and I end up having to take it again because of the relentless itchiness. On top of that it makes you quite drowsy and doesn’t fix the allergy symptoms I started taking it for. Since trying to quit for the 3rd time I’ve also experienced severe headaches and neck pain. Weaning yourself off seems to be the best option.”

A March 13, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I started taking Zyrtec for seasonal allergies. It seemed to help after a day or two so I kept taking. But then I ran out and didn’t take any for a couple of days and that night became severely itchy all over my hands, head and chest- I thought I must be allergic to my new cats. I got a new bottle and started right back up the next day, no more itching. I was sure I was allergic to the cats! Then fast forward a few months and I’m consistently feeling very tired, irritable, have horrible head aches, jittery plus other symptoms so I look up side effects of the medication and sure enough they are all listed. I then stumbled upon people talking about the severe itching when stopping taking Zyrtec and I realized I’m not allergic to my cats, it’s a VERY common thing when you stop taking the drug. I was shocked. I quit cold turkey and am on day 10 without it and am still itchy. It’s been awful especially on my hands, chest and scalp. My body feels like it’s burning all over at times.”

Anonymous June 27, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My doctor gave me a prescription Zyrtec and I took it for a month but realized that when I didn’t take my dose my hands and feet would start itching uncontrollably so I took the Zyrtec and the itching was gone so that’s when I realized it was the Zyrtec that was causing my itch. So, I went to taking Claritin and it did the same thing to me as the Zyrtec. Now I’m taking Xzyal and I can’t stop taking it because my hands start to itch like crazy. Zyrtec was the medicine that started it all. So, I’m trying to wean my self off any of this allergy medicine.”

Jake · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This has been the worst medication I have ever been on. My symptoms are EXTREME upper back pain, brain fog, memory problems, fatigue like crazy, anxiety like crazy and just an overall feeling something is terribly not right in my brain. I can’t even tell you how I feel. I feel drugged up but it the worst possible way. My mom actually looked at me and said I seem off. This med worked great for my post nasal drip but I will never take this ever again or any long acting antihistamine. I did not feel this way at first, it’s like this awful med built up in my body and I’m noticing symptoms now and it’s terrible. I can’t get it out of my body fast enough!!”

beverly · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Took Zyrtec for +10 years. 35 yo female. I have bad dust/seasonal allergies. It has always been incredibly helpful. I recently read that long term use of antihistamines can affect brain health so I decided to quit to see if I notice any changes. Something different happened. I am day 6 without Zyrtec and it has been miserable. I had no idea what was going on given the pandemic. I’m nauseous, foggy, tattoos are raised, upper arms and shoulders are swollen, scalp is itching and extremely sensitive, palms and fingers itching and bruising on my arms. I finally googled Zyrtec withdrawal and there it is, exact symptoms. The bruises are from scratching. Today I discovered tiny bumps in the places that have been itchy. I’m wondering how long this will last. Advice: don’t take Zyrtec long term.If you have been, lower your dosage slowly. Don’t be a hero and go cold turkey. I wouldn’t have but I’m already so many days into it, I figure it has to stop at some point.”

Can't Quit · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I get monthly allergy shots and was told to take a daily allergy pill as well. Originally I was taking Claritin but was told by my allergist that I should take Zyrtec because it is stronger. Fine. So I've been taking a Zyrtec every day and needed to go off it to take a new allergy skin test. I lasted 3 days before I started on the Zyrtec again. After 48 hours of not having it in my system I started with unbearable itching all over. I thought it could be my new dog until I did a Google search and realized no, my body was going through withdrawal symptoms from the Zyrtec. No one ever told me this was a possibility. DO NOT TAKE THIS DAILY FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. Now I have to ween myself off this drug.”

FinallyFree1 March 11, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “My kids and I have taken Zyrtec for years. It has worked wonderfully for us all BUT. . . It wasn't until my most recent migraine that I realized Zyrtec was making us deathly ill. It dawned on me that my migraines occurred once a month right when we ran out of Zyrtec. The horrible migraines were withdrawal symptoms! I immediately stopped giving it to my kids and taking it myself. Yes nose started dripping and I have little hives on my arm but OMG I haven't felt this good in YEARS. No joke, since all 4 of have stopped taking it we've all lost weight. I've lost about 7-10 lbs in a month. My kid's clothes are almost too big. My head is CLEAR, no fog, no drowsy, groggy feeling. I feel like myself again. Do not take Zyrtec!”

Itchy person · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 27, 2020

For Urticaria: “I have been on a combination of Allegra/pepcid morning and Zyrtec/pepcid evening for the past 4 years. I developed chronic idiopathic dermatographism after I had my son. I had a negative and very itchy reaction to the epidural but I've not been able to pin point that that was the initial cause of my current problem or if there is an underlying issue still at hand. 5 doctors have not been able to find out what is wrong with me. I've had allergy testing, blood tests galore, thyroid examines etc. I'm now at the point where I don't know if Zyrtec just works so great or if I'm so addicted to it that I can't get off of it. Every night when it's time to take it I feel like (what I would assume) a person coming off hard core drugs feels like. The itching is bad. I'm now off day two of trying to detox myself from it and I'm losing my mind. Never take this stuff. Ever. I wish I would have never started.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I would like to share my experience using zyrtec, to make anyone who may consider stopping it that it can cause severe itching when stopped. Although taking zyrtec most definitely relieves my allergy symptoms, when I had to stop it because of allergy testing, within a couple days of stopping zyrtec I broke out into an itchy rash that drove me crazy for days and nights. It caused me a lack of sleep for awhile. So please for anyone considering using zyrtec as your choice of allergy relief medicine, be aware stopping it could cause severe itching and discomfort.”

Nitaaa · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 13, 2020

“Be careful of this so-called Zyrtec drug, it’s awful! Here is what happened when I tried to quit cuz I have been gaining weight and feeling depressed on it: 1- Heart palpitation 2- Blurred vision 3- Severe nausea 4- Severe migraine 5- Insomnia 6- Uncontrollable weight loss 7- Irritability 8- SEVERE pruritis I Implore you do not take this Zyrtec, the FDA is pure awful to not mention the side effects of withdrawal. I have been 12 days Zyrtec free and I’m getting my life back!”

clebrun · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2013

For Urticaria: “I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Should be banned!!! Terrible side effects!!! Only took 1 pill!! It made me completely zoned out for 3 days afterwards. I had some of the worst anxiety of my life, and I was incredibly irritable. It didn’t even do anything for my allergy symptoms.”

DArm · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Allergy triggers have been ruthless this year so I had to bring the ol' Zyrtec out of the cabinet. Everything was great at first but then I started experiencing nausea that grew worse as the weeks went on. In between weeks three and four, I decided that it was becoming unbearable and also remembered this as being why I stopped taking Zyrtec when I got this bottle last year. My last dose was three days ago. I, like most here, developed the burning/itching withdrawal symptom about 48 hours after my last dose but has not been as severe as some describe nor was it the last time I stopped. My guess is that most reporting intense experiences have taken Zyrtec long term while I was only a month in this time and roughly two months the last time I took it. I can imagine how bad it could get if it's as noticeable as it is for me after only a month though. My advice would be to not use this stuff regularly if possible or at all if you can avoid it altogether.”

Ragweed sufferer · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried.”

College Student March 25, 2014

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing. ”