User Reviews for Chlorpheniramine

Also known as: Chlor-Trimeton, Allergy Relief, Chlorphen, Teldrin HBP Allergy, Aller-Chlor, Ricobid H, Ed ChlorPed, Ed-Chlortan, Topco Allergy, C.P.M., Chlor-Mal, Chlo-Amine, Chlor-Trimeton Allergy SR, Chlorpheniramine (Allergy), Wal-finate, ChlorTan Ed Chlor-Tan Allergy Time Ed Chlor Ped Jr. Chlor-Phenit …show all brand names

Chlorpheniramine has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 33 ratings on Drugs.com. 87% of those users who reviewed Chlorpheniramine reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Allergic Reactions   9.4
Allergic Rhinitis   9.2
Cold Symptoms   6.7
Urticaria   6.0
Summary of Chlorpheniramine reviews 8.7 33 reviews

Reviews for Chlorpheniramine

Liza · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

For Cold Symptoms: “This medicine caused my 15 year old extreme insomnia she has not slept for 2 nights now she didn't have sleep issues before she took this medicine for cold and flue.”

Marc · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

For Allergic Reactions: “Had severe allergies. Took a 4mg chlorpheniramine pill. Slept like a rock for about 13 hours. Do not take this unless you are going to bed”

KC · Taken for 10 years or more January 22, 2020

For Cold Symptoms: “This chlorpheniramine is the only thing that works for my cold. I have been using it for years when I need it. If I didn't have this medicine I would be sick way more often. I don't know why it is getting harder to find. It use to be very inexpensive even with a prescription. Now its getting up in price. Don't know what I will do if they completely quit making it. The regular OTC stuff doesn't work that well for me and seems to stir the illness up worse and sick for 2 weeks or more. This doesn't, It dries me up and within a few days I'm over it.”

Hans Lidinowski · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 21, 2019

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I take diphenhydramine, cetirizine, and the 4 hour version of chlorpheniramine at bedtime every night of the year whether I have symptoms or not which is the only combination I have found that will keep me clear enough to live a normal routine without many allergy symptoms. I only take the "Chlor Tabs" at 4 hour intervals during the day if I am still experiencing allergy symptoms which include sneezing, coughing, ear discomfort, tinitis, dizziness and vomiting (From the dizziness). I can't live without these chlorpheniramine every 4 hours without vomiting from the nausea.”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2019

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I tried this (generic)... normal dose... and it really knocked me for a loop... I could barely get out of bed... alarming! Judging from the ratings. It must work great for others. I AM very sensitive to all drugs and Benedryl works great for me, so not sure why I had such a weird trip on this one.”

Keith · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 11, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Taken in the evening is best. This medicine is sedating just like Benadryl, but not as sedating. Does not have near the sedating hangover the next day that Benadryl does. A better and effective antihistamine than most. I take the combo tablet that includes this med plus decongestant. This combo along with Advil helps with sinus headache, too.”

Wib September 25, 2017

For Allergic Reactions: “I used this for my seasonal allergies. Works great but the 12 hour extended release is nearly impossible to find in stock in my area.”

MartyEric August 17, 2017

For Urticaria: “I have been taking this drug off and on for 41 years. As the new 24 hour drugs came out I would switch and try them, but they were never as effective. I wish the 12 hr extended release was more available and came in larger amounts than 12 or 24 to a box. I have no side effects, in fact it has never caused me any drowsiness.”

ehsan372 · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Hi .Chlorpheniramine is very effective drug. I tried all the antihistamine and medicines like cetrizine , loratdine , fexofenafine etc. I spent a lot of money but just chlorpheniramine work for me and chlorpheniramine is very cheap!!A few minutes after taking this , I get complete relief and my allergies have gone especially eye allergy. chlorpheniramine has 2 side effects for me: 1-make me very sleepy 2-need take this each 4 hours.at least 4 times in day.”

limeacre · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2016

For Urticaria: “I took these pills for an attack of hives and anxiety. I am female and aged 78. After three days I began to feel nauseous. I was OK before I went on a long car journey. After half an hour with my husband driving I began to feel extremely ill. He managed to stop the car as I was near to fainting and I vomited at the roadside. I felt as if I was losing consciousness for about 15 mins and felt extremely sick, but could not vomit. I felt my BP was extremely low. Finally I felt able to return to our home. The doctor who gave me the pills was one I was not known to. I was a visitor to the town. I have a history of tachycardia and arrhythmia and was diagnosed with M.E. 8 years ago. I told the doctor of my medical history.”

Anonymous NYC · Taken for 10 years or more March 27, 2016

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Have returned repeatedly to Chlortrimeton after taking Zyrtec or Claritin off and on. I get relief for hayfever symptoms without drowsiness and cost is lower. I feel sleepy on the other two meds and the 24 hour dose is not consistent over that period of time. My hayfever is not a severe case with running nose, itchy eyes, and sneezing from Mid-March to May seemingly getting less with age. I'm 69. Have tried the 12 hour dose and find it works consistently for me but prefer the 4 hour tablet.”

Anonymous July 12, 2015

For Allergic Reactions: “I had chronic sinus infections growing up, culminating in corrective sinus surgery by age 18, turned out my sinuses were 95% and 60% closed off. Surgery was greatly successful. I was flawless for years, I moved to Oregon and almost right away the cooler more humid climate had a negative effect on my sinuses. Non-stop nasal drip. that feeling of fluid moving around in my sinuses. Runny nose all year round, burning sinus etc. Woke up every morning and had to expel the accumulation from the night. I tried every over the counter sinus med available. I settled on antihistamines as the most helpful. The sinus sprays were quite helpful but $30 for 60 doses is too costly. This form is about $3 for 100 doses or $10 for a 1000. VERY EFFECTIVE!”

Helpu February 16, 2015

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: “I have been taking this for allergic sneezing, itchy eyes, itchy tongue and back if mouth, allergic post-nasal drip. Very effective. My grandmother told me about it forty five or fifty years ago. Don't take it if you have high blood pressure. This is an oldie but a goodie. I prefer the short acting yellow pills rather then the twelve hour pills.”

Joãozinho December 7, 2014

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Have used Chlor-Trimeton for many years, 4 mg twice a day, to control allergic reactions to pollen. After trying all other OTC antihistamines, Chlor-Trimeton does the job best, and it's a single-ingredient medicine (not a combination of unnecessary ingredients).”

csts1 · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2012

For Allergic Reactions: “Chlorpheniramine right before bedtime does 2 great things for me: (1) reduces allergic build up during sleep (if my hay fever is bad one day or my asthma increasing, often I think back and realize I forgot to take it the night before) and (2) helps me feel drowsy (a normally unwanted side effect that becomes an advantage at night). I take the 12 mg extended release table and really suffer if I run out. GREAT!”

BTM1 February 13, 2012

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I occasionally get severe sneezing attacks, cause unknown. They start as a feeling like something tickling my nose followed by a deep intake of breath and a powerful (mostly dry) sneeze. This then repeats about every 20 seconds for several minutes, when it stops, leaving me exhausted and with teary eyes and a runny nose. I found that swallowing a short-acting chlorpheniramine maleate tablet at the first sign, or in between sneezes, is effective at immediately stopping the attack, with no noticeable side effects. I have other chronic health conditions for which I take prescription medications; long term use of antihistamines for me is not recommended.”

Anonymous October 2, 2011

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Thank you chlorpheniramine! After 4 years of daily suffering with the mysterious 'chronic phlegmitis' that no doctor or internet forum could answer, I found this by accident and to date has been the only thing to positively affect and practically halt the terrible constant post nasal drip. No other antihistamines or steroid sprays or mucolytics or decongestants touched it. And it has the added bonus of potentiating my pain medicine for chronic pain. So I thought I was in heaven one day to find less pain and the post nasal drip decreased.”

Anonymous July 26, 2011

Wal-finate (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I give this to my German Shepherds for food and environmental allergies. It works better than most, and doesn't make them sleepy like Benadryl. Highly recommended! I've used myself for hay fever.”

Anonymous May 24, 2011

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I love this allergy medicine! It works like a charm, and it rarely makes me sleepy, unlike Benadryl. Once in a while it's not effective, but this doesn't happen often. I agree with previous reviewers- it's sometimes hard to find on the shelf.”

"Roger" May 14, 2010

Chlorpheniramine (Allergy) (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Although an off-label use, I find this drug to be an excellent sleep aid. It is relatively short acting and may be appropriate for middle of the night awakenings. It is very important, however, to get your doctor's clearance before such use. There are some drugs that interact with chlorpheniramine. It is especially important not to combine chlorpheniramine or any similar drug, including drugs for motion sickness, such as Dramamine or Meclizine. Patients with eye pressure issues (glaucoma) should also either avoid and/or discuss with a doctor before using it.”

Danomorr January 27, 2010

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I have used this medicine since grade school for allergy and hay fever (dust, mold, pollen, etc) and find it is really big on effect and its side effect, drowsiness, doesn't seem to bother me. This said, others that I have recommended it to say its like a tranquilizer. For taming allergic conditions, this is great - second only to diphenhydramine in effectiveness for an OTC. Diphenhydramine, however, has a much stronger drowsiness side effect for me. The best news is that this is cheap! Around $4 for 100 4mg tab doses.”

Anonymous January 11, 2010

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: “The 4mg dosage works very well for seasonal allergic reactions.”

Anonymous December 8, 2009

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: “The most effective allergy medicine I've found to treat dog/cat/mold/dust allergies. It's too bad you can't find it any more! ”

Anonymous August 20, 2009

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: “I can't use Zyrtec or Claritin because they make my ADHD symptoms worse and counteract my Ritalin medication. This is the only antihistamine that works for me and does not make me drowsy (4 hour version). However, the 12 hour one has made me drowsy. ”

jonryan April 11, 2009

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “This is one of 2 antihistamines that works for me. This is the one that does not make me sleepy.”