User Reviews for Chlorpheniramine to treat Urticaria

Also known as: Allergy Relief, Chlor-Trimeton, Chlorphen, Wal-finate, Ricobid H, Aller-Chlor, Ed ChlorPed, Ed-Chlortan, Topco Allergy, Teldrin HBP Allergy, C.P.M., Chlor-Mal, Chlo-Amine, Chlor-Trimeton Allergy SR, Chlorpheniramine (Allergy), ChlorTan Ed Chlor-Tan Allergy Time Ed Chlor Ped Jr. Chlor-Phenit …show all brand names

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more · June 14, 2022

“It's a very old drug that used to be prescribed at least back to the 1940's for allergic rhinitis, probable post nasal drip and other cold related symptoms. Now OTC. I had an allergic reaction in 1985 to something that produced a severe case of hives (Urticaria) that was treated in an emergency medical setting with benadryl successfully. However, the continued use for what had become a chronic condition, made me too sleepy to work effectively. I discovered that a treatment for a common head cold, using 4 to 8 mg of chlorpheniramine maleate (same as Chlortrimeton), provided the same relief from my chronic hives. Avoiding the benadryl was a great benefit, as well as a cost saving. I have used this method almost everyday for 37 year. I still have allergies, but I am otherwise healthy at age 70. If I take 2 yellow tabs in the morning, I am symptom free. If I run out or skip a day or 2, I get itchy all over. No doctor has ever been concerned or diagnosed me with any other disease.”

MartyEric · August 17, 2017

“I have been taking this drug off and on for 41 years. As the new 24 hour drugs came out I would switch and try them, but they were never as effective. I wish the 12 hr extended release was more available and came in larger amounts than 12 or 24 to a box. I have no side effects, in fact it has never caused me any drowsiness.”

limeacre · Taken for less than 1 month · October 9, 2016

“I took these pills for an attack of hives and anxiety. I am female and aged 78. After three days I began to feel nauseous. I was OK before I went on a long car journey. After half an hour with my husband driving I began to feel extremely ill. He managed to stop the car as I was near to fainting and I vomited at the roadside. I felt as if I was losing consciousness for about 15 mins and felt extremely sick, but could not vomit. I felt my BP was extremely low. Finally I felt able to return to our home. The doctor who gave me the pills was one I was not known to. I was a visitor to the town. I have a history of tachycardia and arrhythmia and was diagnosed with M.E. 8 years ago. I told the doctor of my medical history.”

Dwaynehc · July 13, 2008

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine): “24 hours after taking chlortrimeton 90% of my hives have disappeared. This is the first OTC drug I have taken that has had an effect. I experienced some drowsiness but functioned quite well.”

Learn more about Urticaria