User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Major Depressive Disorder 2 reviews 46 medications

6.7
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Doxepin reviews 213 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Doxepin

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with major depression at 42. I also suffered from crippling anxiety and chronic insomnia. I was prescribed Doxepin after trying other antidepressants which had shocking side effects and made my symptoms worse. Doxepin pulled me out of the abyss and gave me my life back. It literally saved my life and I thank god every day for this amazing drug. I have been taking it for 23 years and it have had no side effects from prolonged use of this medication."

Anonymous May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "For the PTSD, Insomnia, anxiety & depression, I take Lunesta 3 mg, Prazosin 2mg (for the PTSD dreams), Doxepin 75mg, & have Xanax for the anxiety. I take it as when needed. Zoloft 200mg is used for depression & is working. Lunesta used to work alone. Once the PTSD reared its ugly head again, Prazosin was added. The nightmares are much better. However, the insomnia went on a rampage so, Doxipen was added, first at 50 mg for a week (didn't help much) so, the doc increase to 75mg. It's 2:26am east coast. I'm going to stay with what was prescribed for this coming week & hope for the best although so far, hope isn't helping."

Still awake 46 May 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Silenor's active ingredient is doxepin. A 90 day supply of doxepin (it will be in liquid form to be mixed with water) costs $12 . I gave this information to my doctor and he prescribed the doxepin. My insurance company is not involved and this has saved me a substantial amount of money. I've been using it for about four years and am very happy with the results."

Snidely Whiplash April 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Started off with 25mgs of Deptran to help with my sleep, anxiety and mild depression. I slowly increased to 50 and once I hit 75mgs I experienced serve sedation during the daytime. I found it hard to get out of bed, to function and ended up resting on my couch for up to 2 hours per day after getting out of bed! I heard it is good for some people who have trouble staying asleep but my problem was that exact opposite. I have trouble drifting into sleep. Deptran(Doxepine) increased my anxiety/nervousness, gave me headaches, puffy eyes, tremors and made me too tired to function properly and it wasn't even helping me get to sleep! I was on this medication for 3 months so I gave it a decent try. Still weaning off this medication as I write this."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I take oxazepam 30mg as well as bystolic for tachycardia but it also helps put you to sleep. I still had issues going to sleep. I couldn't sleep and my doctor added 6mg of silenor to my routine. Last night I took it, and it says to stay in bed for 30 minutes, well I did not listen, I got up to go to the entertainment room because I thought I was still awake enough to watch some tv, next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep sitting up and it was 7am. It works so well, tonight, I will definitely stay in bed the full 30 minutes to let it kick in. As for the kink in my neck, I'm going to get a chiropractic adjustment later."

Kt.shawzie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed this medication because I could not sleep, the first time I took it I slept a over 6 hours and felt wonderful. The problem I am having now is that when I take this I sleep very well but I am a single mom with 3 children and one of them has cancer, I was prescribed this after he was diagnosed. I can't sleep due to the things going on in my life and I don't want to take the medication because I need to wake up if my child needs me during the night. Does anyone know something I can do to sleep but still wake up when I'm needed?"

Cancer mom March 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Silenor works very well keeping me asleep longer than usual. I normally wake up 3-4 times a night without it. But I have extreme dizziness and headaches the next day. I think I'll go back on my Lunesta because I have trouble functioning the day after Silenor. It is a great medicine but I'm not sure if it's for me."

Dizzylady1012 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I had suffered an unspeakable event a few months agoIf you think of your worst thought, this was worse. I've never been depressed or on any psyc meds in my life. I went about 6 weeks sleeping, perhaps 2 hours per night. I awakened with nightmares of the event. I tried Ambien, which made me fall asleep, but I'd only get 3 hours of sleep on a good night, usually less, awakened by nightmares. The doc gIve me Doxepin 100mg capsules. I slept 16 hours straight! I now take 100mg about 30 minutes before bed and sleep 6-8 hours and most importantly, I don't have nightmares. I don't remember any dreams and I don't have the "Hangover" Ambien gave me. This drug has been a miracle for me literally"

Timaaay March 6, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I retired over 3 yrs. ago and almost immediately my schedule began to change, ending up in a situation in which I couldn't fall asleep sometimes until as late 5 or 6 am, and not get up until around noon! Yesterday my lung doc, who also does sleep studies, suggested doxepin. I had already had a bad experience with it many years ago - 10 mg. It put me to sleep alright, but I felt like a frigging zombie the next day .He told me that was too strong a dose and recommended half of that. He also told me that most insurance companies won't pay for it in any dose except the generic 10 mg. capsule. Not the 3mg. tablet or the liquid. So, I half the caps nightly in water. Slept fine;no hangover. Retired 11:30 & up @ 8.Hope tonight's same. Dose is key!"

JB1950 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started doxepin last night and I have insomnia and wake up several times during the night. I slept from 6:30pm til 7:30am, but still a little tired today, but I didn't wake up once. So, so far so good. I think I'm going to be very pleased with this drug. It also helped a lot with my anxiety as well. I've had zero side effects so far and hopefully won't have any. Good luck to everyone that takes it cuz for me after trying several meds, this seems to be the best one so far and without weight gain too. Most insomnia medication causes weight gain from the research I've done and this one doesn't thank god because I've just lost 110lbs and do not want to put any weight on now that I'm at my perfect weight size for my height. I hope this helps."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well."

Brownchic (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had ibs-d my entire life. Would get extremely sick as a kid and lose a lot of weight in short periods of time. The pain is sometimes unbearable at times. Nothing helped but to not eat for a few days. I've tried lots of different meds. Was out on this one for insomnia and wham it fixed my IBS in one dose. 10mg dose. I now poop like a normal person and can go out and not worry where the bathroom is all the time."

U.wish. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I take it to help me stay asleep at night. It's done well. I just started it 4 days ago. Last night I was eating and almost choked cause I couldn't swallow. Has anyone else had any problems swallowing?"

Emily34 December 16, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have seen many say their insurance will not cover the 3mg dose. Ask your doctor to prescribe 10mg capsule. It is prob. covered and will still work. 10 mg is still very small dose."

DavidSPumpkins December 8, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!"

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "Ok....OMG!! Sooo..let me just say look at all the insomniacs ( true diagnosed people by psyc docs)that have had great experience with this..benzos are terrible for you ...but doxepin has yet to wake me up ...has yet to not work..and has yet give me Dreams or night terrors...now if ur like me and you can go 3 days with zero sleep ...while trying trazadone and even seraquil.. You know restlessness and complete misery..once on doxipen I slept great...didn't get up groggy (8 hour sleep ideal per 25 mg tablet) and it even combats IBS and my case crohnes"

Stephbeezy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "This prescription had the opposite effect. It did not help me sleep at all, but made me want to climb the walls. Wasted $44. After insurance payment"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have had severe insomnia for about 3 years. My physician gave me 2 sample packs of 6mg Silenor. I cut them in half to take 3mg as needed. They worked wonderfully and I finally got several good nights of sleep without the groggy feeling in the morning. After the samples were gone, I got my Rx filled and found out my insurance will not cover it. After having been awake for 36 hours straight, out of desperation, I paid an arm and a leg for the Silenor. The first tablet of the Rx worked but that's it. I Increased to taking 6 mg and it still didn't work. Still no sleep. I have given up on Silenor and have gone back to a different insomnia Rx that works sometimes but at least my insurance covers it it only costs me $5."

Robin Magee November 15, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache."

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I was given a sample pack 3mg Silenor to help with my inability to stay asleep. I followed the instructions and unfortunately it did not seem to work for me. It made me very anxious and agitated during the night. I did sleep but kept waking up. In the morning I was very groggy and unsteady on my feet. I felt like I had been drugged and had a minor headache all day. I do not think I will take it again as it is obviously not the drug for me."

jbg154 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Great product. I never had a problem falling asleep before, I can and always could fall asleep in 2 or 3 minutes. My problem was during the night when I would wake up at 2am and be up for the day. With Silenor I still wake up on occasion but I go right back to sleep. I have been taking it for months now, still works great. Not groggy the next day. If your problem is getting to sleep this might not be right for you. If your problem is staying asleep or falling back to sleep after waking up during the night then Silenor will be a big help."

jimig October 30, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Difficulty sleeping through nite I did sleep first night but then most of next day on silenor. 2nd night tossed and turned but slept for about 4 hours. Felt drugged the next day. Took 3rd night slept off and on. Felt horrible next day, tired, weak feeling, headache. Also leaves mouth extremely dry. Not going to take silenor any more."

MS407 October 29, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I was given Doxepin 50mg to help me sleep. It knocked me out - This is the zombie apocalypse of sleep meds. It worked very well, but kept working all the next day. I slept about 17 hours and felt extremely groggy when I got up. I wouldn't recommend it if you just have trouble falling to sleep. I need something milder so i can function the next day."

Chazzd (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took 1 yesterday approx 11am (I work nights). It's 18:22 now & I'm still exhausted. Slept all day, night and today. I also had nightmares! HORRIBLE!! I'll NEVER take this again."

Toni D (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've taken almost every SSRI and even a few MAOI's. I started taking Doxepin, and Wow! I was finally sleeping the whole night through! Since I've been sleeping better, I am up at a normal hour. I am able to do the things that I used to do. I without a doubt, find Doxepin to be far superior to any of the antidepressants that I've ever been on. Plus, the anxiety I used to get at bedtime, always worrying if I am going to be able to sleep, is gone now. I hope that others have the positive effects that I now have."

Miss Trish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 24, 2016