User Reviews for Doxepin

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

1 review 2 medications
Summary of Doxepin reviews 6.5 277 reviews

Reviews for Doxepin

For Depression: "I started doxepin after being addicted to sleeping pills and pain killers and almost overdosing, I had insomnia, depression, anxiety, and chronic pain. It definitely saved my life when I needed it to but I gained 15 pounds, am easily irritated/angry, and don't feel myself anymore. I couldn't get a refill for 2 weeks and I understand why you're not supposed to stop taking it suddenly because I couldn't get out of bed and wouldn't speak to anyone for 2 whole weeks, put me in a dark hole. But I think I'll stay on it so that kinda thing doesn't happen again."

NB (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "The vivid nightmares and felt like sleeping all the next day made me not try it a second time. I think it’s possible because I am so sleep deprived if I took on a Friday night I could laze around all weekend and maybe get back to feeling normal."

Tonywo (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

For Neuropathic Pain: "Craving for sweets but otherwise no appetite. Increased dry mouth, sore and bleeding gums, vivid dreams, brain fog the next day. I was given Silenor because I wake up every 2 hours. While I sleep, I’m told I thrash about, “seize” my leg muscles, and very loud and verbal during sleep. Even though I still wake every 2 hours, half the time I go back to sleep for an hour. Still only getting about four hours but not in a row."

Trink (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed doxepin for depression, anxiety and trouble getting to sleep. I started on 25mg and still couldn't sleep so moved up to 50mg. Was able to sleep amazing and enough to settle thoughts and fall asleep and stay asleep. Only side effects I have noticed is strange dreams and had difficultly, like most people, who don't want to wake up in the morning."

Lana (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Insomnia: "For chronic insomnia, I ran into a anxiety situation of which my diazapam was not effective. I took this and found (with the D) yes it worked for both, yes groggy and lazy the next day, I never get more than 4-5 hrs sleep anyway. Yes have gained weight. Male 56 YO."

pepper101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

For Insomnia: "Foggy yep! Sleep yep! Wake up pee back to sleep! Took off 2 days got less sleep but ok. Now I know why I am eating! Dr. didn't tell me. Didn't tell wait 3 hours after eating either. Any way, maybe lower dose. 1 week done. I wish it would help on nerve pain."

golden girl (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "My sleep dr. gave me a sample. I waited until I got very sleepy and took it and got right into bed. An hour later, I still wasn't asleep, but I kept lying there. At some point I must have gone to sleep, but I woke up about three hours later needing to go to the bathroom. Went back to bed, slept a couple of hours more and woke up again needing to go to the bathroom. During my "sleep" I had continuous vivid dreams, and I never felt as if really slept. When I got up, I felt bad all day today. I'm not going to give it another chance. I have been on Ambien CR for years, and it gives me an average of 7 1/2 hours of sleep. I wanted to try something new because I need to take an Ambien vacation from time to time b/c I become habituated to it, and it stops working so well."

Sunflower (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Insomnia: "so I am on 50 mg of it. I've been on it for about 3 weeks. I find when I take it at night I feel good and fall a asleep. It does not keep me a sleep for all night"

bob (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Depression: "Have been taking Doxepin for 25 years-am now just taking 10mg at night. Doxepin saved my life . It made me feel so good and able to live a normal life again. I am very afraid to stop taking it completely even though they say when you are older you should stop. Is that true?"

Grammie (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "I took this for anxiety and slept great, but the next day I kept having blood pressure drops and passed out while driving and had to call into work for the next two days to recover I was passing out from blood pressure drops over and over and having random anxiety attacks over and over for 24 hours. It was so so so horrible. I've never had blood pressure issues or passed out or anxiety to that level until I took this."

Bb (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "It is best not to take it."

Grace October 5, 2018

For Insomnia: "I was put on many different sleep medications before Doxepin and nothing worked for how bad my insomnia is. My doctor had to put me on 30mg of it just to get it to work at all. But once we got the dosage right it works perfectly. Puts me to sleep in 10 to 15 minutes. Other people freak out with my high dosage but, if it works it works. The only downside for me was when I take it I have to sleep for 8 hours or more my body literally will not wake up otherwise. Whenever I did manage to wake myself up before 8 hours I always ended up falling asleep while I was doing something."

Thatchick (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I tried both the 3mg and the 6 mg to try to sleep and they did nothing for me. I didn’t feel anything and I still had a hard time falling and staying asleep. I didn’t have any side effects but also no sleep. My doctor gave me samples of the medicine to try so I thought I’d give it a hopeful shot but it just didn’t do anything for me."

Needsleep (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Doctor put me on Silenor to help me stay asleep. It isn't habit forming which was a huge concern for me. If I take it according to instructions, 3 hrs no food and 30 mins before bed, I sleep great. I usually get at least 7.5 hrs sleep on it with the waking for restroom at least once but I fall right back to sleep. I don't notice any changes to my mood but I am also on something for anxiety so may help with any potential mood side affects."

AndiM (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Give your body a few days to adapt to it. Then, no more side effects and works like a charm. Strongly recommend."

Marc4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Insomnia: "I was fine for a few hours then things became bad. Severe anxiety attack, I had snake hallucinations, puked a bit, ringing head, very tired, emotionally sunk into a gloomy depression, and bloating with stomach pain next day plus instant stomach weight gain. Never again for me."

Andrea (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

For Insomnia: "I've been struggling with insomnia for over 8 years. I've taken every drug out there used to treat Insomnia and nothing has worked. Doxepin made me feel like I got hit by a truck and didn't even help me sleep! I stopped taking it after a week because I could not handle the mood swings (I'm also Bipolar), grogginess and fatigue. Not sure if it's related or not but the week I took Doxepin, I gained almost 10lbs!"

InsomniacMermaid (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "1. Causes extreme gas pains, bloating, nausea, diarrea in the middle of the night. 2. Doesn't work once you wake up (in pain) 3. Dissolves in your mouth before you can swallow. 4. Causes severe dry mouth. 5. Takes several hours to fully awaken. 6. Mood swings. 7. The working ingredient doxin costs $12.00. This name change costs $498.00!"

Mrwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "I started 10mg about 3 weeks ago for anxiety. It works but makes me extremely tired! I have two little ones at home and can't function well on it. I suggest taking it at home first to see how you feel. I don't drive when I take it especially with my children."

Ht1990 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Depression: "Well, my Dr had no skill, judgement but had experience causing injury to patients. He prescribed this out of the blue and foolishly I tried it, felt sick and wanted to stop taking it but my controlling fiance demanded I keep taking it! I know where the depression came from...I needed to get away from her, not taking old school meds. Some people might get relief from their symptoms with this since we are all different. This didn't work...quite a few side effects and the sleep didn't feel natural, at least for myself and didn't take it long enough to treat the depression. I can see how people sleep on this, you can fall asleep standing up the next day and for most of the day!"

Fubar (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Insomnia: "Been taking Doxepin 10 mg every night for two months. It helps me sleep but that’s all I want to do now! It’s near impossible to get up in the morning and I’m fatigued and irritable all day. I used to be very active but now everything is a chore and I’ve put on weight. I would recommend this only if nothing else worked for you."

Mushy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

For Insomnia: "I've used doxepin for years to make me drowsy. I take 2 ml (20 mg) of liquid an hour before lights-out, then I take triazolam (halcion) 30 minutes before lights-out. A pharmacist suggested that the liquid would work more quickly if I put it into my mouth with the eyedropper (not diluted) and hold it there for a little while. He also suggested chewing the triazolam tablet -- again, for faster effect. Doxepin alone, at least at that dose, isn't enough to put me asleep by itself. I always wake up four or five hours after lights out, but by then I don't feel don't noticably groggy. I take a second triazolam and get 8 hours of sleep total. The next day I feel rested and definitely not groggy."

ZZZZ June 24, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Worst drug ever. Brain fog for days after. Sent me into deep depression from one dose. Extremely expensive for a very old drug. NEVER AGAIN."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Urticaria: "I just got my doxepin increased to 100 mg at bedtime plus get once a month Xolair injections. It seems to be helping. I have been dealing with chronic uticaria for almost a year and nothing was helping until I saw the allergist specialist. I'm not allergic to anything, he thought maybe stress is causing it but when I'm not bothered or stressed I was still was finding myself braking out. Until my 2nd dose of xolair I ask to increase the doxepin and so far its helping, every now and then a couple of hives but not as bad as before!"

Mommy 5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

For Urticaria: "I have to take a meditation for breast cancer and developed awful hives. Nothing helped with the hives and my primary care doctor said let us see if this old time drug will help you. I took and thank God it worked. Hives are on hiatus."

Jr June 12, 2018