User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 2 reviews 139 medications

6.5
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Doxepin reviews 183 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Doxepin

For Anxiety: "This drug was terrible, I would take it at night and fall right to sleep and when I get up in the morning im completely exhausted and dizzy. My balance is off and feel like im in a daze. I was extremely irritable. The entire day I was depressed and in a very very bad mood. Everything bothered me. My anxiety was terrible. Tremors in my hands and just feeling kind of loopy. Nightmares when sleeping. This drug did nothing of any benefit for me. I was taking it to help with my social anxiety and panic attacks."

metalman1980 September 17, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have trouble sleeping from 3 - 6 am. I wake up and cannot go back to sleep creating the daytime symptoms of insomnia (see: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/basics/definition/CON-20024293 ). I rarely have trouble falling asleep. I have been taking LIQUID doxepin for 18+ months (along with a 5 mg time release melatonin) - 30 min before bedtime. The LIQUID has to be especially prescribed by your Dr and approved by your drug company. A 120 ml bottle is $79 - with medicare & drug co approval, my out of pocket (last bought in 6/2016) was $7! Much cheaper than Silenor. I am prescribed 0.6ml/night, but sometimes I take 0.5ml or less, & never over 0.7ml (rarely). Doxepin & melatonin work well to help me sleep from 10p-6a!"

asissman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "Started on doxepin 25 mg unlike everyone else I can't sleep keeps me awake and now I have itching from the med will this go away already have hives don't need more itching couldn't sleep now I really cant"

Anonymous September 11, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Silenor literally saved my life ! Before a month ago, I never had sleeping issues, but after recently moving in with my boyfriend in an apartment with neighbour's dogs that kept me up all night, there was a 2 week period where I literally didn't sleep at all. I was starting to feel extremely anxious, depressed, and as if I was losing all control of my life. Silenor is non-addictive, which made me feel more comfortable about taking it. I still woke up in the night some nights, but it put me to sleep no problem. It allowed me to get back on track with my sleep and daily routines."

Insomnia01 September 4, 2016

For Insomnia: "Prescribed for nightmares and night terrors due to PTSD. trazadone gave me a horrible body buzz and made me feel like I wasn't in control of my faculties. Worse off, it didn't stop the nightmares, just made it harder to wake from them. Doxepin was prescribed at 25 mg capsule, increasing to 75mg over a period of a month. Stopped the nightmares and night terrors instantly, with no body buzz. In fact, I don't dream at all anymore, and I'm okay with that. Miracle drug. I was becoming desperate and fought sleep as long as I could so I didn't have nightmares. This saved my sanity."

SarahhLee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2016

For Insomnia: "Doxepin is the fourth medication that I have been prescribed for my insomnia. Prior to Doxepin, I had taken melatonin (as many insomniacs begin with), Trazodone, and Seroquel. I do not remember any noteworthy effects from the first two, but I was amazed with Seroquel. It worked like a charm once I fell asleep. However, it often took me far too long to fall asleep and I felt extremely groggy, sometimes for hours, when I woke up. Still, I was very satisfied, having finally found something that brought me some much needed rest. When I switched doctor's, though, I was switched to Doxepin. I have only taken it for a short time, but I cannot praise it highly enough. It takes effect far more quickly and has less grogginess than Seroquel (for me)."

Lumberjack_Jay (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have tried at least 15 other pills that all come with the groggy feeling if taken too late at night and too high of a dose. While 10mg is too much for me it works and works too well and keeps me asleep all night and i actually feel rested. I had to write this review after seeing so many low ratings."

hector98632 August 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "My Doctor tried me on 3mg first. Didn't do much at all. 6MG seems to be working much better."

Moose jaw August 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "My doctor started me on 3 mg... am now trying 4 1/2 mg as 3 did nothing but am stunned at the enormous doses other reviewers are taking. Did they build up to those doses or start with them ?"

Sleepless in Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was placed on Silenor for insomnia. Started at 3mg and now am at 6mg - no difference and I still can't sleep. Many nights go without and I am tired of being tired"

Mother Theresa August 5, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Was taken off ambien and put on silenor. Three times the cost and does not help in the least."

cheryl b (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

For Depression: "My sister took doxipen and it had a horrible reaction... anxiety, changed her personality, sleeplesness... she told her Doctor so he increased the dose... she hadn't slept in 3 days so she took xanex to sleep... she died that night... 6/26/2016... she was 28 years old."

Sarah Dooly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

For Insomnia: "Horrible drug. Felt like a zombie for about 14 hours after taking 1/2 a 25mg capsule. Never again."

George Hatfield (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "My doc prescribed 40 mg at bedtime to shift my sleep cycle. History of acute anxiety attacks w/ tachycardia, and essential tremor. First dose I felt agitated, anxious, and my heart rate went up to 160. It did not help me fall asleep any earlier, next day blurred vision and 'migraine aura'. Things went downhill from there. My doctor said to continue it for at least 4 weeks and the side effects would go away. They did not - things continued to worsen. The tremor increased to where I could not use the computer, headaches got worse, anxiety increased, I became irritable and angry, and my blood sugar went through the roof. After 5 weeks I threw it away - blood sugar still high and tremor still worse after quitting a month ago."

MountainGeek (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Doctor recommended I try this after failed medication after failed medication.. So far, it has helped my insomnia drastically!"

George Shilly July 7, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I took this to help with my insomnia. I work different hours at the hospital and I haven't been able to overcome the Insomnia on my days off. Silenor has helped me so far, I hope that it stays that way."

Joseph_Smith June 30, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been taking 100mg @ night for insomnia/anxiety for approximately 1 1/2 years! I love it! I take it about 30-45 minutes before bed and BAM I'm out! The only side effects I've noticed is talking in my sleep (nothing major though)!! I would highly recommend this medication for insomnia."

berrylove (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Made me extremely agitated and nervous during the night, very disappointed and actually scared after taking it. Very expensive as well."

notsleep (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "First night I tried a half. Fell asleep but woke up and was wide awake through the rest of the night. 2 nd night took a full pill feel heart pounding numb fingers can't fall asleep now wide awake. Worse then first night."

Shan no sleep June 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "Have taken this medication for 10 nights. Nothing has improved whatsoever. I take as directed 2 hours before bedtime. It has not been the answer to a sleepless night I had hoped for. Still waking up after an hour or hour and half,and keep waking throughout the remainder of the night."

tired beyond description June 19, 2016

For Insomnia: "Tried 10 mg 3 nights in a row. Stayed awake literally all night. Not helpful for sleep."

Turtle Bear (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "I took this medicine at 11 p.m., asleep a little after midnight, and woke at 3:20 a.m.. I have been awake since then, it is now 4:18, and I still cannot fall back asleep! The first night I took it, it did the something plus a side of anxiety attacks. Thought I'd give it a try again, but nope, no more of this! Smh!"

Sleepless in Az (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have severe sleep problems and now take 50mg of doxepin nightly. I fall asleep and stay asleep. I have tried numerous other meds and most either don't work or work for only a short period of time, this has not been a problem with doxepin."

BSFMI (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Had symptoms of IBS D for years, after a bout with a bad colon infection. Following many tests, medication trials that all failed, a great GI specialist suggested doxepin, it was a miracle. Try it, it's cheap, few side effects, and it's effective!"

PamJo (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2016

For Depression: "Took care of my depression, insomnia, and IBS"

Inakldy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016