User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Silenor Adapin

Doxepin has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 363 ratings on Drugs.com. 53% of those users who reviewed Doxepin reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome  Off-label 8.2
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome  Off-label 3.0
Summary of Doxepin reviews 6.1 363 reviews

Reviews for Doxepin

Kimber · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2021

For Insomnia: “I use to take 300 mg of trazadone for insomnia but it has stopped helping and started getting less than 2 hours sleep so the dr put me on 10 mg of doxepin and I have gotten LESS sleep to almost no sleep on this medication. I'm constantly exhausted. No matter what time IU take doxepin I still don't get any sleep. I'm so frustrated with this insomnia! I've taken so many different insomnia meds and I can't get a break. I never get more than 2 hours of broken sleep let alone 7 to 8 hours of solid sleep...”

Liz · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

For Insomnia: “I take doxepin 25mg an hour before bed - worked well to make me sleepy. Next day, found out it was too well. Slept on and off for about 20 hours and was still groggy. The mental side effects are even worse - intense feelings of not being real. Sudden anger and moodiness. Worried about how it’ll affect my suicidal ideation, so I won’t be taking them again.”

retiredhome · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Insomnia: “I took 10 mg at night of Doxepin for several weeks. The local sleep dr gave me the script. He said I did not have sleep apnea. I have come off the medicine. My family said I was not myself. I was not thinking clearly. I made some odd and not myself mistakes. Too many side effects. My other comment is why do doctors give scripts- like band aides? It makes more sense to get to the root of the problem instead of drugging people up.”

Brit · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For Insomnia: “Been taking doxepin for over a week 25mg at night, I feel nothing. Hasn't helped with sleep or made it worse, just nothing. I even opened the capsule just to see if anything was actually inside of it (there was) but I still need lorazepam and sometimes ambien. I have never slept thru the night... ever! Not even as far back as a child that I can remember. I'm so jealous of those people that can lay down and be sound asleep in minutes! I will never have that:(”

No Sleep portland · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2021

For Insomnia: “I have tried Doxepin for about three weeks. I started at 3mg and woke up after just a couple of hour and then it was hard to get back to sleep. I increased the dose to 6mg and woke after 3 hours sleep and the hard to get back to sleep. I moved up to 10mg and I woke up after 4 hours and could get back to sleep. The hang over gets substantially worse the higher the dose. I think this medicine suck the soul out of you. You don't feel normal the next day, very forgetful. I am going back to edibles with a little melatonin.”

Person with sleep problem · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Insomnia: “This stuff is horrible. Ok. Disclaimer. I’m one of those people who weirdly become wired on certain medications that should otherwise knock people out. Well, this is one of those times and let me tell you - I am AWAKE. Wide **** awake and my body hurts like lactic acid just built up in all my joints, my chest, my stomach, hips, wrists, shoulders, feet. This is horrible. I wish I had never taken it.”

Survivor · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “After 10 years of IBS, I had a normal poop today morning. 10 years of IBS, pain. went to 100 different useless doctors, a lot of medication. Then a specialist recommended doxepin to my friend who had same symptoms. I then asked for some too and last night took one 10 mg doxepin and miracle happened. Gas went out easily and at morning normal bowl movement.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2021

For Insomnia: “I was prescribed Doxepin for insomnia, anxiety and depression. I take two 25mg every night it works you just have to make sure you will get 8 hours of sleep or you feel tired in the morning. It also has stop my sneezing and wheezing”

Paddedcell · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2021

For Insomnia: “My psych prescribed doxepin because I have trouble staying asleep. I tried the 25mg, 50mg and 75 mg doses and it STILL doesn’t work. The only thing it has done is made me gain nearly 10 pounds in a week and made my brain feel like I’m trapped in some padded cell where I can’t feel human emotions anymore or think at all. This feels like a mental straitjacket, and I am NOT happy about the terrible mental effects of a drug I’ve been prescribed for insomnia. NOT WORTH IT. If you care about your brain functioning properly every day. Trust me the effects of insomnia are better than sleeping a few hours more, STILL waking up every hour or so, and feeling zombiefied in the morning. I lost all trust in my psychiatrist for prescribing me this terrible pill. Still don’t feel like myself...”

Ang January 8, 2021

For Anxiety: “I was on doxepin a while ago but weaned myself off it, thinking my anxiety wasn't that bad and I could try mindfulness/natural herbs. Well that wasn't a good idea. Ended up in hospital with heat arrhythmia and terrible anxiety/no sleep. I didn't realise how well this medication works while on it. After 2 days back on it I'm sleeping and my heart has gone back to normal. I'm on 75mg and will be for life. I have had no unpleasant side effects apart from going off it. Saved my life really. 10/10”

sunblock40 · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2021

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: “Took 3 mg last night and not only fell asleep immediately, but stayed asleep for 12 hours. I did wake up twice to pee, but fell asleep right away. Tonight I'm going to try 1.5 mg, as 12 hours was way too long. But I have no sleep hangover and feel great. Hoping that this will be "the one." Tried everything and so far, this one is the best.”

Orlando December 23, 2020

For Insomnia: “Due to several difficult life-events and enormous stress I developed chronic insomnia that lasted around 2 years (early awakening after which I would not be able to fall asleep). For a long time I did not want to take antidepressants and helped myself with Z-drugs that helped me fall asleep. 2 specialists advised me to stop and try out Trazodone. Unfortunately, it did not work for. I then tried Doxepin, hoping that the small dosage (3-6 mg) would help. It didn't, so I increased to 50 mg, which I have continued taking for almost a year. It worked and my sleep normalized! Now I sleep enough for 98 percent of the time, which I feel is a miracle. My therapist, however, says, that the quiet life due to COVID might also have helped. Perhaps. In any case, I would like to decrease the dosage as I do not feel like taking antidepressants forever, but he advised me to wait a little more, for the psyche was stressed out a long time due to insomnia and needs to "accept" healthy sleep again.”

May · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2020

For Urticaria: “Waking up every day with chronic hives all over my body (no known cause) for months that wont go away with benedryl, singular, allegra, and even xolair, my new allergist suggested doxepin. At this point, I was willing to try anything that could make them stop. When I tell you I haven't had a hive on my body since starting doxepin, its no joke. Doxepin has been a life saver and has helped tremendously with my chronic hives.”

Marco · Taken for 10 years or more October 16, 2020

For Anxiety: “After most of my life at least 40 Years. I have been on tricyclic antidepressants it took a long time to get diagnosed I see my condition as generalised anxiety as I had no real classic signs of depression, 10 years ago I enede up in Hospital and they gave me anti psychotic medications seraquel nothing worked. After giving me xanax which within an hour I was back to myself they discharged me on xanax. I saw my psychiatrist of 20 years and he prescribed Doxepin and within 4 week I came literally out of a nightmare. I still have 2 hour to come round in the morning but it sure is better than the extreme anxiety and worry I was experiencing. So I don't want to upset the apple cart as I have so I continue to keep up my regime and I'm quite pleased with have a life without extreme anxiety panic disorder which is my exact diagnosis.”

RG October 11, 2020

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: “I was on Ambien for years. It worked great, but at the time I wanted to get off controlled medications. With Silenor I actually had no problem falling asleep. Couldn't believe it worked. I've tried about every OTC sleep aid and one non-controlled sleep aid (Belsomra). OTC's did nothing and the Belsomra I threw in the trash after the first night taking it. I only recommend it if you like feeling drugged and anxious all night. Also gave me extreme light sensitivity where I couldn't look at my nightlight. So in all, Silenor was a great to help me sleep.”

Nick · Taken for 10 years or more September 10, 2020

For Depression: “Doxepin is a fabulous thing. It's been discontinued and I fear for my overall health. This took the edge off my fibromyalgia pain, insomnia and depression.”

Bill b August 14, 2020

For Anxiety: “Been taking doxepin med for a few days and already helping my anxiety. It is a good med to dry for anxiety depression”

Rae · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2020

For Anxiety: “Prescribed doxepin 25mg for anxiety and I was afraid to take the whole dose. I’ve divided into 1/2, 2/3 and into 1/4. The 1/4 didn’t make me feel hungover or very tired the next day but the other does did. I’m glad I didn’t try the full does. I do sleep better and don’t have the hangover, dizziness or feel tired. The lower dose just takes the edge off my anxiety. I’ll give it another week then decide if it’s for me.”

Trey · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

For Insomnia: “Always have had a hard time getting to sleep but these past months it’s gotten so bad I went to the doctor who first put me on trazodone and all that did was make me feel tired I still couldn’t sleep. The doctor then gave me 10 mg of doxepin and said I could take 20 mg if I had too and honestly it doesn’t work. I had my hopes high because he was saying how much he loved the medication. It might as well be a placebo, I took 20 mg and 5 hours later with proper sleep hygiene before and all I have is a dry mouth and the walls look like they’re breathing. It hasn’t really effected me differently and I’ve been taking this medication for awhile now. I honestly can’t recommend this medication.”

eddie · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

For Insomnia: “I wanted to like it. I read all the good reviews. The first night I slept great (felt like normal sleep and not dopey like trazodone/xanax). The next morning I felt TOO good. I am not bipolar. Later I felt unusually emotional. I tried again the next day and had terrible side effects. Feelings of derealization. Dry mouth. Racing heart, clammy, sweating. It made me feel like my soul was being sucked from my body and I didn't care and was just watching myself from 10 inches away. Everything about it was SUBTLE but it felt like it was drastically changing my chemistry in a freaky way. I can't stand the stuff and flushed it down the toilet.”

Ehlers · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2020

For Urticaria: “On doxepin 35mg dose, use it for chronic urticaria + insomnia. Been given doxepin as an interim drug for the urticaria because famotidine unavailable. Urticaria - hives still not fully under control but I can’t blame the doxepin as I’m on other meds for it as well. There hasn’t been a massive increase of hives since transitioning from famotidine to doxepin so it must be doing something. Had to stop the endep I was originally taking for insomnia as they can’t be taken together. Insomnia > worked great for the first few weeks but then did nothing. The day time drowsiness when you first take it only lasted a few days for me. Unfortunately, I’m back to being an insomniac so I’m hoping I can get back on the endep soon!”

Payson09 · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

For Insomnia: “Just tried it. Slept for 9 hours and could hardly keep my eyes open the whole next day. Thinking maybe breaking it in half next time.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was diagnosed with IBS just a few weeks ago, it has been so very depressing. I love to cook and eat, I cook lot and make jam every season. This has not made me feel good, pain and all the rest went with it. I went back on my anti-depressant DOXEPIN 50mg. for my depression, and I have been so much better with this IBS, it was really just by accident that I started taking my Doxepin again. Thank you so much, I had so much trouble with my stomach since September 2019, I hope I continue to get better.”

Helped · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

For Insomnia: “I suffered severe sleep maintenance insomnia for five years, set off initially by menopause night sweats. I started this medication three months ago and it has made a huge difference to my quality of life! It will not be a ‘fix’ in itself, as I’ve found it works well in conjunction with a CBT based approach (cognitive and behavioural sleep management strategies). I started with 20mg as 10 wasn’t effective at first, but I have been able to reduce back to 10mg over the past month with good success. 20mg did leave me with a ‘hangover’ effect in the mornings, but at least I got a solid stretch of sleep!!”

Matvei · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have sleep maintenance insomnia/early awakenings (no trouble falling asleep in the first place, but a world of hurt trying to stay asleep after 4 or 5 hours). Doxepin worked like a dream for about three months - good (7 hours) sleep, no side effects - then zilch, nothing, back to the bad old days, even if I took ten times the dose. If you have mild/moderate insomnia, this should work for a while, but don't bank on it long term. Cheap too as a generic.”