User Reviews for Doxepin

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

1 review 2 medications
Summary of Doxepin reviews 6.5 268 reviews

Reviews for Doxepin

For Anxiety: "I took this for anxiety and slept great, but the next day I kept having blood pressure drops and passed out while driving and had to call into work for the next two days to recover I was passing out from blood pressure drops over and over and having random anxiety attacks over and over for 24 hours. It was so so so horrible. I've never had blood pressure issues or passed out or anxiety to that level until I took this."

Bb (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "It is best not to take it."

Grace October 5, 2018

For Insomnia: "I was put on many different sleep medications before Doxepin and nothing worked for how bad my insomnia is. My doctor had to put me on 30mg of it just to get it to work at all. But once we got the dosage right it works perfectly. Puts me to sleep in 10 to 15 minutes. Other people freak out with my high dosage but, if it works it works. The only downside for me was when I take it I have to sleep for 8 hours or more my body literally will not wake up otherwise. Whenever I did manage to wake myself up before 8 hours I always ended up falling asleep while I was doing something."

Thatchick (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I tried both the 3mg and the 6 mg to try to sleep and they did nothing for me. I didn’t feel anything and I still had a hard time falling and staying asleep. I didn’t have any side effects but also no sleep. My doctor gave me samples of the medicine to try so I thought I’d give it a hopeful shot but it just didn’t do anything for me."

Needsleep (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Doctor put me on Silenor to help me stay asleep. It isn't habit forming which was a huge concern for me. If I take it according to instructions, 3 hrs no food and 30 mins before bed, I sleep great. I usually get at least 7.5 hrs sleep on it with the waking for restroom at least once but I fall right back to sleep. I don't notice any changes to my mood but I am also on something for anxiety so may help with any potential mood side affects."

AndiM (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Give your body a few days to adapt to it. Then, no more side effects and works like a charm. Strongly recommend."

Marc4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Insomnia: "I was fine for a few hours then things became bad. Severe anxiety attack, I had snake hallucinations, puked a bit, ringing head, very tired, emotionally sunk into a gloomy depression, and bloating with stomach pain next day plus instant stomach weight gain. Never again for me."

Andrea (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

For Insomnia: "I've been struggling with insomnia for over 8 years. I've taken every drug out there used to treat Insomnia and nothing has worked. Doxepin made me feel like I got hit by a truck and didn't even help me sleep! I stopped taking it after a week because I could not handle the mood swings (I'm also Bipolar), grogginess and fatigue. Not sure if it's related or not but the week I took Doxepin, I gained almost 10lbs!"

InsomniacMermaid (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "1. Causes extreme gas pains, bloating, nausea, diarrea in the middle of the night. 2. Doesn't work once you wake up (in pain) 3. Dissolves in your mouth before you can swallow. 4. Causes severe dry mouth. 5. Takes several hours to fully awaken. 6. Mood swings. 7. The working ingredient doxin costs $12.00. This name change costs $498.00!"

Mrwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "I started 10mg about 3 weeks ago for anxiety. It works but makes me extremely tired! I have two little ones at home and can't function well on it. I suggest taking it at home first to see how you feel. I don't drive when I take it especially with my children."

Ht1990 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Depression: "Well, my Dr had no skill, judgement but had experience causing injury to patients. He prescribed this out of the blue and foolishly I tried it, felt sick and wanted to stop taking it but my controlling fiance demanded I keep taking it! I know where the depression came from...I needed to get away from her, not taking old school meds. Some people might get relief from their symptoms with this since we are all different. This didn't work...quite a few side effects and the sleep didn't feel natural, at least for myself and didn't take it long enough to treat the depression. I can see how people sleep on this, you can fall asleep standing up the next day and for most of the day!"

Fubar (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Insomnia: "Been taking Doxepin 10 mg every night for two months. It helps me sleep but that’s all I want to do now! It’s near impossible to get up in the morning and I’m fatigued and irritable all day. I used to be very active but now everything is a chore and I’ve put on weight. I would recommend this only if nothing else worked for you."

Mushy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

For Insomnia: "I've used doxepin for years to make me drowsy. I take 2 ml (20 mg) of liquid an hour before lights-out, then I take triazolam (halcion) 30 minutes before lights-out. A pharmacist suggested that the liquid would work more quickly if I put it into my mouth with the eyedropper (not diluted) and hold it there for a little while. He also suggested chewing the triazolam tablet -- again, for faster effect. Doxepin alone, at least at that dose, isn't enough to put me asleep by itself. I always wake up four or five hours after lights out, but by then I don't feel don't noticably groggy. I take a second triazolam and get 8 hours of sleep total. The next day I feel rested and definitely not groggy."

ZZZZ June 24, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Worst drug ever. Brain fog for days after. Sent me into deep depression from one dose. Extremely expensive for a very old drug. NEVER AGAIN."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Urticaria: "I just got my doxepin increased to 100 mg at bedtime plus get once a month Xolair injections. It seems to be helping. I have been dealing with chronic uticaria for almost a year and nothing was helping until I saw the allergist specialist. I'm not allergic to anything, he thought maybe stress is causing it but when I'm not bothered or stressed I was still was finding myself braking out. Until my 2nd dose of xolair I ask to increase the doxepin and so far its helping, every now and then a couple of hives but not as bad as before!"

Mommy 5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

For Urticaria: "I have to take a meditation for breast cancer and developed awful hives. Nothing helped with the hives and my primary care doctor said let us see if this old time drug will help you. I took and thank God it worked. Hives are on hiatus."

Jr June 12, 2018

For Insomnia: "I tried this medication twice. Both times I hallucinated and it was terrifying. I don't know if I ever slept because I hallucinated the entire time."

Momma416 (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I was prescribed Silenor for insomnia which I battled with for 3 years. I was taking a high dose of Melatonin to sleep but that stopped working when I was going through a stressful period. Took 3 mg of Silenor the first night. Although I slept 5-6 hours , I felt horrible the next day. I felt like crying all day. I increased the dose to 4.5 mg and was able to get 7 hours of sleep but the negative mood became more prominent during the day. I was depressed and miserable. I stuck with it for 2 weeks but my mood was getting worse. I couldn't keep on taking it. I don't know if this is only initial side effects that will go away after a month or so but I personally could not handle the depressive symptoms (major) it gave me so I decided to stop it after 2 weeks only. I felt better immediately even though I am still struggling with sleep... I have to see my doctor and try Trazodone."

GD May 28, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have been taking doxepin for about a month now and I must say it truly does work. The crazy part is that it makes me love sleep. I use to take Belsomra with no affect of staying asleep. This however will keep you asleep but beware some days you could sleep well over 12-16 hours. Once you awake in the mornings get right up, don't lay back down because you will REM again. It does make you hungry and it does help with IBS."

Dee May 23, 2018

For Urticaria: "Had hives daily for 6 weeks straight, took doxepin 25mg and they were gone the next day. I was on steroids that worked good to but am off them now. It's been a week without one hive. It works, but agree with side effects. Groggy, sometimes into late morning. I feel like I'm a couple seconds behind on my actions."

Doe May 21, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I've been using Silenor on and off for about 6 months now. I haven't taken it every night; I find what works best is to cycle it on for 2-3 days , with 2 days off where I supplement melatonin (3mg to 5mg) on the day's off if needed. I initially starting using Melatonin 3 mg but I found I was waking up about 1-2 hours into the night with mini panic attacks and hallucinating; but once the anxiety settles and I recognize I'm hallucinating (within a couple mins) the effects wears off and I am able to return to deep sleep for the remainder of the night. I now cut the dose in half (1.5mg) and I've noticed I don't experience the anxiety/hallucinations anymore. I have also noticed that the morning brain fog/temporary memory loss does not bother me nearly as much with the half dose. As for the sleep; once I am able to fall asleep it usually keeps me there. If you wake up, it's only for a small intermittent periods which is minor compared what I used to experience when I wasn't using the medication."

Caveman April 30, 2018

For Insomnia: "I tried to give his drug a fair shot, but after 5 days of taking it, every day I had seratonin syndrome. It was too much for me. I began on 10mg at bedtime and it’s been miserable to say the least. I haven’t stopped having muscle twitching or spasming since I started it. I’ve hardly slept and I’m miserable. I’m sure this is a great drug that can help others, but not me."

Oh my... April 29, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’ve been struggling with PTSD for well over 10 years. Incapacitating anxiety, insomnia, depression. I could no longer function at all. I’ve tried everything! Nothing worked unless it made it worse and gave me extremely bad side effects. It was so excruciating that I really wanted to throw in the towel. I started Doxepin about 6 or weeks ago. Then suddenly the intensity of my disorder severely decreased. Almost overnight and has continued to without any dips in its time. I’m absolutely stunned! I’m still on the low starting dose too. I’m overjoyed by relief. I’ve become myself again. I can actively participate in daily activities like showering, leaving my house, answering the phone, basic things that people take for granted. Before, I was totally immobilized. I hope this continues"

Mary (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

For Depression: "I was prescribed Doxepin for my PTSD-- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. First off, WEIGHT GAIN out the yazoo! I am very thin naturally, I'm 5'7" and 115lbs. I gained 15lbs and it very much so showed! I had to pick up working out 5 days a week to stay at the 130lbs and not put on more. Since my symptoms are severe I had to be at a higher dosage. I stopped at the 160mg. when I went to the E.R. from being impacted from the constipation this medication caused (and I was taking flaxseed, probiotics, Colace regularly being on it). Also, it didn't start kicking in for my panic disorder till about 125mg. and then it turned my panic to minimal and turned generalized anxiety on full-blown (which I never had before....). Helped for depression on lower dosages but didn't help for that at all after I went past 90mg on it. However, did absolute wonders for my depression at lower dosage. Lots of baggage overall, as most of these old time drugs have."

staceya97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

For Insomnia: "It works! The only problem is I'm groggy in the morning..."

Robcan2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018