User Reviews for Doxepin

1 review 2 medications
Summary of Doxepin reviews 6.5 292 reviews

Reviews for Doxepin

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

For Urticaria: "Was prescribed Doxepin 10mg taken at night for hives and angioedema. I had developed these symptoms after having my physical and which I was prescribed amoxicillin and clarithromycin. Immediately after started the doxepine I noticed that I was extremely groggy and out of it by the time I woke up and clearly it did not help with the itching because I was just as itchy when I woke up if not more because that is what woke me up. I felt myself itching and scratching in my sleep and thought I was dreaming but I wasn't. Made me feel depressed like no one in the world liked me, gave me nightmares and I would randomly start crying for no reason. May work for some but I'll admit, I'd rather be itchy than depressed seeing as those I do not suffer from depression. Do your research on these meds before taking them, may cause more issues than what you had to begin with. I have been spending tons of money on all these antihistamines since 4/8/19 with no cause for the allergic reactions. Just irritating!"

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2019

For Insomnia: "I’m a 68 yr old female who falls asleep easily but has difficulty staying asleep. Doctor prescribed 10 mg Doxepin which helped with staying asleep all too well. I had trouble waking up at usual time. Insurance won’t pay for lower dosage, so I cut 10 mg capsules, which always results in losing some medicine, but the slightly less than 5 mg works greats do reduces cost too boot. No ill effects at this dosage."

BrianB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "This drug doxepin has definitely decreased my anxiety and panic attacks. After years of trying nearly every drug out there, I've finally found one that works well (for me). The one downside I have with this drug is the grogginess in the mornings. However, I've been running in the morning to help ease the grogginess and it certainly helps."

pcworkman · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Anxiety: "Was on Doxepin many years ago, and did not have one anxiety attack or panic attack at night, when they mostly happened. Then I went off it. Today, I am back on it, 25 mg at night. I do not know why my doctor took me off it. I am now back on it, so here's hoping. Will let you know how things go."

Mae · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2019

For Insomnia: "I’m not sure, but has anyone taken this & passed out so hard that they don’t even remember falling asleep? I’m on 25mg & I fall asleep like quickly, but I do wake up early no matter what time I wake up. I can admit some days I’m tired throughout the day, but I’ve never had a medication work so well for my sleep issues."

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2019

For Insomnia: "Was on Quetiapine 100 mg which made me sleep all day and night. Psychiatrist changed my medicine to Doxepin 25 mg and I am on day 3 and have only slept 5 hours total in 3 days. Called his office to advise and his Secretary (non medical person) advised myself that it was going to take time and to continue. I fired him as what Dr allows a Secretary to give Medical advice. Seeing a Neurologist that specializes in sleep disorders tomorrow."

cyncyn · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2019

For Anxiety: "I am just starting doxepin and so far anxiety is higher hoping it lessens. Will reevaluate in 2 weeks."

Itchy · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2019

For Urticaria: "I’ve had urticaria for 2 months on and off. I have taken every manner of topical and antihistamine offered by the dermatologist. Finally my GP suggested 10 mg doxepin in the evening for urticaria. I had a very strange reaction to this drug. The rash (which covered my back) disappeared instantly and completely within 2 hours. Then I fell fast asleep. Within 2 hours I woke up, very psychologically disoriented, and the rash had returned even worse than it was before. I calmed myself down, put some steroid cream all over my body and went back to sleep. The next day I was very nauseous and had a headache all day. It was such an extreme reaction so I will not take this medication again. Glad it works for others!"

Twiggy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

For Anxiety: "I started doxepin for GAD eight weeks ago started on 50 mg and it took away all anxiety, and I felt like the old me. Now last two days I have all the bad thoughts and anxiety again. Going to try to go up in dosage praying this helps..."

Billy bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2019

For Insomnia: "After taking doxepin for a few years, I found it most effective to take the pill when awakening during the night, which promptly puts me back to sleep."

Karekare · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Feel like able to run marathon after taking Silenor. I haven’t felt this wide awake in 20 years. Last night was 3rd (and final) dose I need rest."

Vindaloo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2019

For Insomnia: "Use doxepin 6 mg for insomnia, dreams seem real . Slightly headachy Overall pretty good!"

Tuxedo Kitty April 19, 2019

For Insomnia: "Even with the best sleep hygiene I can go for weeks on end not getting more than 2 solid hours because I wake up constantly, 6-8 times per night. Doxepin has almost completely solved my problem staying asleep and given my life back! Ambien and benzodiazepines are not effective for me, and trazadone gives me panic attacks. Doxepin 150 mg allows me to go to sleep 2 hours after I take it and get a good solid 6-8 hours. I have to make sure to take it 3 hours after any food. The only drawback is it makes me hungry, but I just go to bed and don’t give in to the hunger after I take my dose. Well worth it! I occasionally take it with clonazepam if I am having panic attacks. The perfect sleep medicine for me. Oh- it can raise your heart rate so make sure to let your doctor know if your pulse increases or you feel heart palpitations."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "I started on doxepin 75 mg 15 days ago. I have notice a decrease in my anxiety, excitableness, and obsessive thinking and thoughts. I use to have a problem sleeping. Not anymore!! I am asleep in about 20 min and I stay asleep. I use to be such a light sleeper, and never got more than 5 hours of sleep. I use to take Gabapentin for nerve pain. However, I haven’t needed it since taking Doxepin. I noticed it also takes my appetite away. Now for the horrible side effects.....I have to force myself up. It takes me a few hours to fully be awake. I was in a horrible brain fog for the first 10 days. The first four days I felt like I had the flu. Now I am still dealing with the tiredness. I don’t want to stop it. However, I will if the tiredness doesn’t subside. I am glad I have had no headaches on the medicine, as other meds have given me."

Raych · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 13, 2019

For Insomnia: "I’ve suffered from insomnia since I was 6 yrs old. I didn’t get help for it until I was 23. I have tried tons of things from sleep apnea testing to medication. Doxepin has been the only thing to help keep me asleep AND helps me fall asleep faster. I don’t have any side affects from this medication either."

NB · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2019

For Depression: "I started doxepin after being addicted to sleeping pills and pain killers and almost overdosing, I had insomnia, depression, anxiety, and chronic pain. It definitely saved my life when I needed it to but I gained 15 pounds, am easily irritated/angry, and don't feel myself anymore. I couldn't get a refill for 2 weeks and I understand why you're not supposed to stop taking it suddenly because I couldn't get out of bed and wouldn't speak to anyone for 2 whole weeks, put me in a dark hole. But I think I'll stay on it so that kinda thing doesn't happen again."

Tonywo · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "The vivid nightmares and felt like sleeping all the next day made me not try it a second time. I think it’s possible because I am so sleep deprived if I took on a Friday night I could laze around all weekend and maybe get back to feeling normal."

Trink · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2019

For Neuropathic Pain: "Craving for sweets but otherwise no appetite. Increased dry mouth, sore and bleeding gums, vivid dreams, brain fog the next day. I was given Silenor because I wake up every 2 hours. While I sleep, I’m told I thrash about, “seize” my leg muscles, and very loud and verbal during sleep. Even though I still wake every 2 hours, half the time I go back to sleep for an hour. Still only getting about four hours but not in a row."

Lana · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed doxepin for depression, anxiety and trouble getting to sleep. I started on 25mg and still couldn't sleep so moved up to 50mg. Was able to sleep amazing and enough to settle thoughts and fall asleep and stay asleep. Only side effects I have noticed is strange dreams and had difficultly, like most people, who don't want to wake up in the morning."

pepper101 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2018

For Insomnia: "For chronic insomnia, I ran into a anxiety situation of which my diazapam was not effective. I took this and found (with the D) yes it worked for both, yes groggy and lazy the next day, I never get more than 4-5 hrs sleep anyway. Yes have gained weight. Male 56 YO."

golden girl · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2018

For Insomnia: "Foggy yep! Sleep yep! Wake up pee back to sleep! Took off 2 days got less sleep but ok. Now I know why I am eating! Dr. didn't tell me. Didn't tell wait 3 hours after eating either. Any way, maybe lower dose. 1 week done. I wish it would help on nerve pain."

Sunflower · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2018

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "My sleep dr. gave me a sample. I waited until I got very sleepy and took it and got right into bed. An hour later, I still wasn't asleep, but I kept lying there. At some point I must have gone to sleep, but I woke up about three hours later needing to go to the bathroom. Went back to bed, slept a couple of hours more and woke up again needing to go to the bathroom. During my "sleep" I had continuous vivid dreams, and I never felt as if really slept. When I got up, I felt bad all day today. I'm not going to give it another chance. I have been on Ambien CR for years, and it gives me an average of 7 1/2 hours of sleep. I wanted to try something new because I need to take an Ambien vacation from time to time b/c I become habituated to it, and it stops working so well."

bob · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2018

For Insomnia: "so I am on 50 mg of it. I've been on it for about 3 weeks. I find when I take it at night I feel good and fall a asleep. It does not keep me a sleep for all night"

Grammie · Taken for 10 years or more October 14, 2018

For Depression: "Have been taking Doxepin for 25 years-am now just taking 10mg at night. Doxepin saved my life . It made me feel so good and able to live a normal life again. I am very afraid to stop taking it completely even though they say when you are older you should stop. Is that true?"

Bb · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2018

For Anxiety: "I took this for anxiety and slept great, but the next day I kept having blood pressure drops and passed out while driving and had to call into work for the next two days to recover I was passing out from blood pressure drops over and over and having random anxiety attacks over and over for 24 hours. It was so so so horrible. I've never had blood pressure issues or passed out or anxiety to that level until I took this."