User Reviews for Ambien

Insomnia 362 reviews 110 medications

7.6
Summary of Ambien reviews 362 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Ambien

For Insomnia "Hands down the very best way to end the day. Not only is it the only sleeping pill that worked for me of the dozens of OTC and prescribed sleep aids, it felt really good. No matter how bad my day was, 20 minutes after I took the ambien I'd always have a smile and laugh my ass off to Saturday Night Live episodes on Hulu before getting the best and consistent sleep ever. Sure, my first couple times I had a hangover effect, but the next year I was on ambien I ALWAYS felt refreshed the next morning."

MeatRocket (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

For Insomnia "I've been taking Ambien for many years. The first year, I was prescribed 10 mg nightly. I had experienced a "deep sleep" and through the entire night. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel exhausted the next day. Then my dosage was changed to 5 mg, which was tough! My tolerance to the higher dose made it not work. My Dr. gave me something different to substitute while my body adjusted. It's not been 2 years, that I've been taking the 5 mg. I also take Adderall XR @ 20 mg daily and 20 mg of Prozac. During the last 6 months, I've had difficulty with memory. Being able to recall things I read, appointment times, things people had said to me. I am 52 years old, and I understand that comes with age. But has anyone had similar problems?"

Teresa Page August 14, 2016

For Insomnia "I have taken 2 1/2 and I'm wide awake"

Erinkaye August 12, 2016

For Insomnia "People, be careful with Ambien. I was put on Ambien 10 mg back in late 2014, I recently stopped the medication told turkey. It's been a week since I quit, I have been having severe withdrawal. Nightmares, night sweats, and frequent urination are the most occurring symptoms I have been dealing with. Doctors seldom tell patients about drug withdrawals, which is why I am suffering from these problems. So, be careful before you take a new prescribed medication."

Anonymous July 18, 2016

For Insomnia "Without Ambien I'm up literally all night. But if you don't take it on am empty stomach it doesn't work at all. I take it at midnight and can't eat after 5 or 6PM or else it won't work. If you try and stay up after it starts to work you may do things you wouldn't normally do - like shop online, which I've done and many people I know. Luckily everything I've bought is stuff I've wanted, but still..."

Beth A (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

For Insomnia "ambien was the only sleeping pill that worked for me i was on 10 mg and went to the ambien cr on 12.5 mg and back to 10 mg taking it on an empty stomach made me binge, forgetful, and do questionable/irresponsible things i wouldn't normally do it also sometimes made me drowsy in the morning it works quickly unlike certain sleeping meds that you have to take 3 hours with food before bed i had withdrawals on ambien as well a lot of negatives for me but i still liked it best"

Former Ambien Taker (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

For Insomnia "A real savior. Finally getting some sleep. Went off for a month to see if I could sleep without it. The answer was no but no other withdrawal symptoms. Be sure to give yourself 8 hours and nix the alcohol."

Sny222 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2016

For Insomnia "I take Ambien, Ambien CR and rotate to Lunesta briefly when they build a tolerance. Ambien is first rate though. They all have an odd effect of not drifting off - I blink and wake up in the morning. I'm ok with that. Ambien CR makes me a bit cranky if I wake early, like the cat waking me. Otherwise they all work, and fast, like 30 minutes. I have a small amount of Ambien CR left, which I think is the best but it's expensive. The others are generic, but work ok."

muDraconis (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

For Insomnia "I was diagnosed with chronic insomnia when I was 13, currently I'm 19 years old. I've been prescribed a great many things to help get me to sleep and, more importantly, stay asleep. Since I want to keep this short I'll just say that ambien is the only one that's worked efficiently for an extended period of time. It helps you relax, if you're an anxious person like me, and surprisingly enough I don't even wake up during the nights like I used to. Suppose I've finally gotten used to the drug or actually getting a good night's rest, considering my sleep problems had been around since I was around 8. Anyway, works great. My does is currently 20 mg, every night. Probably going to get lowered to 10mg some time soon."

Sleepless Guy Far from Home June 20, 2016

For Insomnia "Ive had every sleeping medicine, even test drugs, thats legal where I am but only ambien has let me sleep. Ive been on ambien for about 3 years now. I take it because my autonomic nervous system doesnt work properly and my adrenaline wont shut of to let me sleep. Though ambien is the only thing that lets me sleep, it does give me weird trips or hallucinations sometimes. Which I have been told isnt a good thing and you should stop if you hallucinate or have a bad trip, but I'm on 10mg of ambien and I fall asleep 80% of the time so thanks ambien."

SleepZombie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2016

For Insomnia "My psychiatrist prescribed me 5mg of Ambien to help with insomnia. I take it 3-5 nights a week (typically 3) and found it very helpful in the beginning. Now, I can take it and not feel a thing. I have considered asking my psychiatrist for a slightly higher dosage."

Sleepless in the Midwest May 1, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had a great experience with this medicine. I sleep through the night on it, wake up rested and free of any hangover, and it doesn't knock me out like benedryl does. I feel like I get a natural sleep. I've never experienced the night time issues that some have mentioned and have never experienced nightmares or vivid dreams as I have with other medicines."

Wes79 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2016

For Insomnia "Have bad insomnia. Been on Ambien for 10 years now. I decreased my dose to only 3 mg about 5 years ago. All I need is to get to sleep. Anxiety prevents that. So Ambien works great for me. I have never had any bad effects at all with this drug. No after effects. Wake up refreshed. I have had instances where it doesn't work, if I am in a bad anxious state. But usually I take it right before bed. I don't delay at all because it is pretty fast working. Hope and pray there are no long term effects like Alzheimers. So far I have no memory problems. I am 74. I need sleep. It's that simple. Feel awful when I don't sleep. I do try not to take it every night. Go off for days in between. Try and go weeks if I can. So far that's working for me."

hilborn (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

For Insomnia "It works and it's ability hasn't diminished with use or time. I can get to sleep every single time I take this drug and it always only takes 2 pills. That is a lot more than I can say for any sleep drug I've ever taken. The downside is that if I don't go to sleep as soon as I feel it kick in, I will do some very, very strange things that I can only slightly remember if I remember at all."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Insomnia "I took Ambien awhile back for insomnia. Within 20 minutes I was out. Woke up refreshed after 6 - 8 hours. Caution: for me, it was addicting and I could not sleep without it. Also for me, I would not remember activities I may or may not have done the night before. Unplug your phone, you may regret who you call and the conversation you had. I cannot take Ambien for those reasons, but it did work for getting to sleep!"

Knocked Out April 14, 2016

For Insomnia "I've been taking ambien for over 6 years. It helps me sleep and I can sleep 6 hrs and felt like I slept 10 hrs only bad thing is once commit to taking ambien I can't be bothered cuz I won't remember so I usually lock my self down but it is a very helpful drug"

Chucky1508 March 31, 2016

For Insomnia "Wow, I guess I'm in the minority because I found that Ambien was completely worthless for me. I tried 5mg, 10mg, & even 15mg & never could fall asleep. Didn't even feel tired. Seriously, it was like a sugar pill. I don't know why so many people like this stuff...I guess my brain is different from everyone else's...story of my life!"

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

For Insomnia "I've been sick for the past week, and because of that I cut out my nightly glass of brandy - figured it was time to start cutting out certain unhealthy vices. I primarily used the brandy as a sleep aid right before bed (just one glass). Since doing so, however, I've been waking up several times a night. So, I asked my mom if I could take a small piece of one of her Ambien - about 1/4 of a pill. After about 15 minutes my eyelids were heavy, and I don't remember actually going to sleep. It's more like I just blacked out. Today (the morning after) I didn't wake up until after 11 a.m. Just for context, I went to bed around 11 p.m. As I write this, it is almost 4 p.m. and I'm still extremely groggy and lethargic, along with dehydrated and cranky"

Stephanie W. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Insomnia "I was prescribed Ambien following an accident I had at work, I couldn't sleep due to extreme pain in lower back. I've been using 5mg for the past 5 yrs. Craziest stuff I've ever done in my life while on Ambien was order some exercising CD's at 4am and not remembering the next morning what I had done, like I had been in the twilight zone. Trying to cancel stuff that I ordered and explain to these telemarketers that I'm on medication and don't recall what I even say prompted me to lock my credit cards at night. I'd rather get 4-5 hrs of sleep than no sleep at all. My lower back pain remains low, mild exercise no hot abs for me."

ViAnSu2016 March 7, 2016

For Insomnia "Simple, I started taking Ambien in 2001 when it was prescribed for me by my orthopedic MD for a swollen knee so I could sleep, then I found out it was not habit forming, other than psychological. I am a professor and I have trouble shutting down my mind at night. I have used it daily since that time, never have needed more than 5-10mg, never sleep walk, do my best work in the morning at my office before classes, have gone a few days when I have run out and am not somewhere I can refill. Doesn't worry me, I just accept I am not going to sleep well and I don't, but I sleep some. I don't get anxious about it. I am now 71, still teaching full time, no sign of weak bones. Why on earth would I want to stop taking Ambien?"

Nax February 19, 2016

For Insomnia "I was diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia about 5 months ago. Doctor prescribed Ambien. It works wonders. I discovered that for me, once I take it, I cannot communicate on any social media websites, because the next day when I go back and read what I wrote, it's a bunch of gibberish. My routine, I take an Ambien, get in the bed and read a little, before I know it, I'm waking up in the morning not realizing I even feel asleep. My only issue is, the pills are prescribed in bottles of 21 pills, one bottle with two additional refills. If I don't schedule my follow - up Sleep Appointment right, I'll be stuck with a few days with no medicine like I am now while typing this, lol. It is after 12 am and I'm WIDE AWAKE."

SleeplessInSanAntonio February 8, 2016

For Insomnia "I've been taking Ambien (10mg) off and on for years. It tends to stop working if I start taking it too often, so I have to take breaks from it periodically. That's the only negative thing I have to say about it. When it works, it works perfectly and I've experienced no side effects."

Serene Celine (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2016

For Insomnia "It is a good cure long as you don't abuse your meds and it will help your sleeping. No problems. Simple as that. Night all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

For Insomnia "I was admitted to a hospital cardiac care unit following an MI. I received Ambien and woke up from sleep profoundly confused and hostile. I ripped out of my arms and legs all the IV and EKG leads, and then left my bed, marching to the double doors of the CCU. Female nurses were screaming, for I was naked and bloody from the leads being torn away from my body. The bravest man I ever met was a young CNA who stepped in front of me, telling me "You cannot leave the CCU." Considerably shorter and lighter than me, his action was totally courageous, given that I was in a temporary, drug-induced altered mental state. I recall only vaguely warning him that I would throw him against the wall if he blocked me. I awakened, embarrassed, ashamed."

VERDANT71 January 31, 2016

For Insomnia "I have been taking this drug for about 4 years. Went in depression anxiety, and chronic insomnia. I take 5 mg when I do take it and it works very well for me. I have never experienced any of the horror stories that others have. It immediately improved my mood, depression and anxiety as it finally allowed me to sleep. I try not to take it more than 3 times a week to avoid dependency on it. Sometimes I go weeks without it, sometimes 2 weeks straight on it due to situational anxiety."

Sleepless in Detroit (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016