User Reviews for Ambien

Insomnia
7.4

Summary of Ambien reviews 7.4 433 reviews

Reviews for Ambien

For Insomnia "Prescribed for over 10 years. Had to cut dosage in 1/2 due to recall difficulties. Binge eating an understatement. Works well for chronic insomnia even with moderate caffeine intake. Need to take rest position almost immediately after nightly dosage or medicine benefits pass unnoticed."

Hammer2x (taken for 10 years or more) June 28, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien is a miracle drug, in my opinion. It can become addictive and you can build up a tolerance for it, but that doesn't have to be the case. It happened to me several years ago when I was taking 10mg each and every night over a period of several months. During the past two or three years, I've been taking a maximum of 5mg a couple of times a week. More often than not, I break a 5mg tablet in half, and that does the trick. I have not become addicted to it again. I simply take the pill about 15 minutes before going to bed, and then I drift off peacefully and sleep soundly until morning. When I wake up, I don't feel drugged or still drowsy. I feel refreshed. When used sensibly, Ambien can be a godsend."

Katzpur (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2018

For Insomnia "Everyone please be aware that Ambien has very dangerous side effects. I was placed on it for insomnia. I took a dose one night before bed one night. My husband, I landed up becoming very agitated, running up and down the stairs and around the house, you could do anything and not remembering one bit of this the next day. I became very scared after hearing this and immediately stopped it and told my doctor of this adverse reaction. Be aware of this dangerous drug reaction!"

Kim June 7, 2018

For Insomnia "Yes I was given Ambien and I awoke and had heavy chest pain. Just a side effect my Dr said and keep taking it. Odd tho was I took one and I awoke after ony a few hours of sleep. So I'd like to know how many hours of sleep do u get off Ambien? Odd too that with the lack of sleep also I found myself saying thing and things that I normally don't say or do - not the real me."

NOT A DRUGGIE (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Insomnia "I took the quick release Ambien for 5 years. It worked great for sleep. I did have some bad side effects of doing things on Ambien that I don't remember the next day. It's similar to amnesia. I would take long grocery shopping trips and not remember them the next day. Things you have done just don't even exist in your memory so be careful only take them when you are in a safe situation. I give is an 8 because I did sleep--but the side effects were pretty bad."

Momma416 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 31, 2018

For Insomnia "Awesome! 2.5 mg almost every night has improved my life! I can get a solid 7-8 hours sleep regularly. The health benefits of this can not be underestimated! Ambien in not addictive. You can build up tolerance, but taking a low dosage regularly will cause better sleep patterns, therefore no need to increase dosage. The onset is quick, 30 minutes, and you wake up well rested. The health benefits of solid regular sleep (lower risk of heart disease, less stress and anxiety, more alert driving) should not be underestimated! Take the lowest dosage that works and stay on it. Stop listening to people who freak out when they hear Ambien. It has far fewer side effects than most other drugs. Melatonin is unregulated here, Tylenol PM dries out mucous membranes due to the benedryl and the chronic use of tylenol is tough on your liver. Xanax, Clonopine, etc. are benzodiazapines and can be addictive. Ambien is safe, effective and a lifesaver for chronic insomniacs."

kara May 27, 2018

For Insomnia "I’ve been on Ambien for 3 years. I started taking it during lots of international travel to help me sleep on planes. I continue taking it now for help with sleep. I take 10mg two to three times a week. When I first started taking it, it didn’t do much to put me to sleep, but it definitely helped keep me asleep. 3 years later, this stuff knocks me out and keeps me sound asleep for 6-7 hours. Contrary to other posts, I have never felt the slightest dependency or addiction to Ambien. It is a wonderful product."

JD (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2018

For Insomnia "Only thing that works for sleep."

Sandilikeabeach (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2018

For Insomnia "I break it up into teeny tiny pieces and it helps me fall asleep. Sometimes I take as little as 1.66 mg but 2.5 mg is my fave. I don't have trouble staying asleep, just falling asleep due to ADHD and an overactive procrastinating mind. When I used to take more of it, I would get rebound and wake up 5 hours later not being able to sleep. I don’t get that with smaller doses, sometimes I take it if I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t sleep. It does cause me to have bad skin if I take it too much. Clogs my pores big time. Very expensive stuff."

Teeny bit (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Zolpidem gave me the only withdrawal symptoms of my life. 48 hours of extreme mental and physical pain, soaked clothing and high blood pressure. Got hooked after just 1 month of continual use, about 4 x 10 mg doses per day. I have taken hydrocodone for pain for more than a month with no withdrawal symptoms and only moderate (manageable) craving. I started taking Ambien to fall asleep, then needed another dose 4 hours later to stay asleep, then started taking it during daytime to stave off the after-effects of the drug."

Vlad Tepes (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

For Insomnia "I've been taking Ambien for several years. Started taking 5mg only when on vacation while sleeping in an unfamiliar environment. Several years later I started having to take 5mg every night. Now I split the 10mg into thirds and it works great but I still take it every night. No side effects that I can tell. I always sleep through the night. Would like to split it into fourths but it's difficult to split that small. Melatonin is horrible, makes me sluggish the next morning with a nasty headache. I've tried several times to stop Ambien and it's not difficult to stop (no cravings or withdrawal symptoms), it's just that I don't fall asleep on my own anymore."

Sue (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2018

For Insomnia "I have been dealing with severe insomnia recently and tried several things. Melatonin worked for about a day, than stopped. I tried OTC options, but nothing worked I would get drowsy but still unable to fall asleep. It was beginning to take a toll on my body, I have a physically demanding job and was really feeling the effects. My doctor is great, he asked about things I've tried and he told me to try Ambien. Well, talk about fantastic I took it last night after trying to fall asleep naturally and failing, and within 45 minutes I was blissfully asleep. I slept the entire night, something I haven't been able to do. It works wonders for me, although I haven't been on it enough to know if it will continue to work and I am aware of the limitations of this drug (shouldn't take it more than 2 weeks). If you have a doctor willing to let you try it, I would highly recommend you do so. Make sure you take it about an hour before you want to be in bed sleeping."

Weee96 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Sometimes it helped me fall asleep, sometimes it didn't. And if you do take this, do not resist the urge to fall asleep....else you will trip. One night I felt like my bedroom was a rocket ship and if I were to open my bedroom door I would be in outer space....next drug please."

Dantheman93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

For Insomnia "I've used this med for years with no apparent problem. WRONG. As I began asking family and friends, I find I have been doing MANY dangerous activities with absolutely NO recollection. This medication is absolutely frightening. I had no idea there was even a problem. Use at risk of yourself and those around you. I now have a criminal record and am just glad no one got physically hurt."

jmcm (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018

For Insomnia "I have taken every sleeping medication under the stars but Ambien is all that works for me. I take it 2-4 times a week when I know I need decent sleep. I cut a 10mg pill in half usually, but sometimes I take a full 10mg so I can sleep solidly for 9 hours straight. Unfortunately, when I took Ambien every night, it stopped working for me, so now I switch it up and take melatonin when I don't take Ambien, but that doesn't even work for me anymore. One bottle of 30 10mg pills lasts me 4 months, and I need to keep stretching it out like this because Army medical does not like to keep giving patients Ambien, even though multiple doctors have seen that it is the only thing that helps me sleep, and obviously I am not addicted because I can go days without taking it."

dawn19825 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Insomnia "Only medication that allows me to get about 7 hours of deep sleep. No sleepwalking, sleep eating or dreams.... Just solid sleep. After a while it doesn't keep me asleep the entire time so I cut back for a while. I've taken every benzo and besides xanax, this works the best."

slickwilly (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien is the only thing that has worked for me to sleep. The only problem is is I get withdrawals and anxiety during the day."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

For Insomnia "From a child I have had problems sleeping, as a teen I would be awake all night laying in bed and have to go to school next day. Well in my twenties and thirties I gave up working as couldn't sleep well. Yeah I took sominex stuff over counter and would get a few hours of good sleep. But when I got to 40 years old I so stressed No sleep was killing me and I was so anxious and panic attacks were getting so bad I wouldn't leave house. So I told my doc I gotta have something and he gave me Ambien and small does of Xanax. That was 13 years ago. I go in every six months for bloodwork and all is fine and Ambien gave me my life back again. I sleep only 5-6 hours on 10 mg but that works for me. But yesterday he said after he gave me six month script that he don't' know how longer he can give it unless I go see a psychiatrist or go for sleep study. Govt is cracking down."

wilmaweiny February 3, 2018

For Insomnia "I'm a 77 yr-old maIe. I have been taking Ambien/zolpidem for 10 years, 10 mg at first, then 5 mg last 2 years on MD advice, then last year cut down to 2.5 mg (1/2-5mg tab) with 1/2-25mg doxylamine succ. tab. This combo has worked well but on occasion, if I awakened and could not go back to sleep I either take other half of zolp. or other 1/2 of doxy. and go back to sleep after about 15 minutes. I feel fine with 8 or 9 hrs of sleep. Recently, PCP has prescribed 100 mg. gabapentin due to concerns over long-term dangers of zolp. I am concerned that gabap. will have no useful sleep help as its use as a sleep med is off-label. I had no benefits from trazadone which is a useless drug in my opinion (retired psychologist). Lunesta, trazadone and Sonata were not helpful either. I am going to try the gabapentin, but I am not very optimistic about efficacy. I have NONE of the labelled conditions, but I'm willing to see what a couple or three weeks use will bring."

DocCasey (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Insomnia "I started having sleep issues 10 years ago. I tried a bunch of different meds and eventually tried ambien. It definitely puts me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep. After about 4 hours it's completely out of my system. I have been taking it for 8 years now. I tried lunesta, sonata, trazadone, seroquil, klonopin, melatonin, valerian root, even ambien controlled release. This is the only med that can get me to sleep and not give me a weird drugged feeling in the am. Ambien CR didn't even put me to sleep. Weird I know. I would recommend it just beware of the side effects it has, that is night eating and doing things you don't recall in the am."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2017

For Insomnia "I started taking ambien about 2 years ago. I started off with 5 mg then went to 10 mg and then 20 mg. Once the 20mg stopped working I am now changing to a different sleep aid.."

Tired female December 13, 2017

For Insomnia "I began taking Ambien while hospitalized for a high risk pregnancy. The meds I was on to stop contractions made me jittery and restless. When offered a sleeping med I jumped for joy. This was before the side effects were known. Now 17 years later I have been through 8 detoxes followed by 7 rehab stays. Now clean for over 3 years from Ambien addiction that almost cost me my life I want to warn anyone away from this drug. At the worst of my addiction I was taking 60 Ambien, 30 Halcyon,30 Oxypam for panic attacks and 90 Ativan for withdrawal seizures. I have blank spots in my memory that sometimes span weeks. I continued to use Ambien after birth of child to be on a “normal” schedule for her. Worst mistake of my life"

Southerndrugged (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2017

For Insomnia "Ambien is a lifesaver. No matter how tired I am, I can't fall asleep or stay asleep. With Ambien I sleep all night. I have been taking it for about 3 years but I ONLY take 5mg. I think the mistake people make is they take too much. It's not supposed to drug you and make you pass out. It allows you to fall asleep naturally. No need to increase amount. Try it"

Lily P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

For Insomnia "Ambien worked great before it was allowed to become a generic called zolpidem. The generics are much cheaper but, you can wait for hours before it works. Sometimes, it never does. Sadly, I can not find the original Ambien anymore. This leads to sleepless nights."

ryanjenny45 (taken for 10 years or more) November 27, 2017

For Insomnia "It’s been a miracle drug for me for 3 years. Just take it responsibly (I started off 5mg/night, now I’m on 10mg/night), never anything more. 10mg still works for me, even after 2 years of being at this dose. For someone who needs to be functional, productive, and aware in the morning, a good night’s sleep is essential. It might not work for everyone, but as a chronic insomniac since childhood, It’s been a life saver!"

insomniaisNOTfun November 15, 2017