User Reviews for Ambien

7.7

3 reviews
Summary of Ambien reviews 7.4 426 reviews

Reviews for Ambien

For Insomnia "I've been taking Ambien for several years. Started taking 5mg only when on vacation while sleeping in an unfamiliar environment. Several years later I started having to take 5mg every night. Now I split the 10mg into thirds and it works great but I still take it every night. No side effects that I can tell. I always sleep through the night. Would like to split it into fourths but it's difficult to split that small. Melatonin is horrible, makes me sluggish the next morning with a nasty headache. I've tried several times to stop Ambien and it's not difficult to stop (no cravings or withdrawal symptoms), it's just that I don't fall asleep on my own anymore."

Sue (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2018

For Insomnia "I have been dealing with severe insomnia recently and tried several things. Melatonin worked for about a day, than stopped. I tried OTC options, but nothing worked I would get drowsy but still unable to fall asleep. It was beginning to take a toll on my body, I have a physically demanding job and was really feeling the effects. My doctor is great, he asked about things I've tried and he told me to try Ambien. Well, talk about fantastic I took it last night after trying to fall asleep naturally and failing, and within 45 minutes I was blissfully asleep. I slept the entire night, something I haven't been able to do. It works wonders for me, although I haven't been on it enough to know if it will continue to work and I am aware of the limitations of this drug (shouldn't take it more than 2 weeks). If you have a doctor willing to let you try it, I would highly recommend you do so. Make sure you take it about an hour before you want to be in bed sleeping."

Weee96 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Sometimes it helped me fall asleep, sometimes it didn't. And if you do take this, do not resist the urge to fall asleep....else you will trip. One night I felt like my bedroom was a rocket ship and if I were to open my bedroom door I would be in outer space....next drug please."

Dantheman93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

For Insomnia "I've used this med for years with no apparent problem. WRONG. As I began asking family and friends, I find I have been doing MANY dangerous activities with absolutely NO recollection. This medication is absolutely frightening. I had no idea there was even a problem. Use at risk of yourself and those around you. I now have a criminal record and am just glad no one got physically hurt."

jmcm (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018

For Insomnia "I have taken every sleeping medication under the stars but Ambien is all that works for me. I take it 2-4 times a week when I know I need decent sleep. I cut a 10mg pill in half usually, but sometimes I take a full 10mg so I can sleep solidly for 9 hours straight. Unfortunately, when I took Ambien every night, it stopped working for me, so now I switch it up and take melatonin when I don't take Ambien, but that doesn't even work for me anymore. One bottle of 30 10mg pills lasts me 4 months, and I need to keep stretching it out like this because Army medical does not like to keep giving patients Ambien, even though multiple doctors have seen that it is the only thing that helps me sleep, and obviously I am not addicted because I can go days without taking it."

dawn19825 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Insomnia "Only medication that allows me to get about 7 hours of deep sleep. No sleepwalking, sleep eating or dreams.... Just solid sleep. After a while it doesn't keep me asleep the entire time so I cut back for a while. I've taken every benzo and besides xanax, this works the best."

slickwilly (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien is the only thing that has worked for me to sleep. The only problem is is I get withdrawals and anxiety during the day."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

For Insomnia "From a child I have had problems sleeping, as a teen I would be awake all night laying in bed and have to go to school next day. Well in my twenties and thirties I gave up working as couldn't sleep well. Yeah I took sominex stuff over counter and would get a few hours of good sleep. But when I got to 40 years old I so stressed No sleep was killing me and I was so anxious and panic attacks were getting so bad I wouldn't leave house. So I told my doc I gotta have something and he gave me Ambien and small does of Xanax. That was 13 years ago. I go in every six months for bloodwork and all is fine and Ambien gave me my life back again. I sleep only 5-6 hours on 10 mg but that works for me. But yesterday he said after he gave me six month script that he don't' know how longer he can give it unless I go see a psychiatrist or go for sleep study. Govt is cracking down."

wilmaweiny February 3, 2018

For Insomnia "I'm a 77 yr-old maIe. I have been taking Ambien/zolpidem for 10 years, 10 mg at first, then 5 mg last 2 years on MD advice, then last year cut down to 2.5 mg (1/2-5mg tab) with 1/2-25mg doxylamine succ. tab. This combo has worked well but on occasion, if I awakened and could not go back to sleep I either take other half of zolp. or other 1/2 of doxy. and go back to sleep after about 15 minutes. I feel fine with 8 or 9 hrs of sleep. Recently, PCP has prescribed 100 mg. gabapentin due to concerns over long-term dangers of zolp. I am concerned that gabap. will have no useful sleep help as its use as a sleep med is off-label. I had no benefits from trazadone which is a useless drug in my opinion (retired psychologist). Lunesta, trazadone and Sonata were not helpful either. I am going to try the gabapentin, but I am not very optimistic about efficacy. I have NONE of the labelled conditions, but I'm willing to see what a couple or three weeks use will bring."

DocCasey (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Insomnia "I started having sleep issues 10 years ago. I tried a bunch of different meds and eventually tried ambien. It definitely puts me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep. After about 4 hours it's completely out of my system. I have been taking it for 8 years now. I tried lunesta, sonata, trazadone, seroquil, klonopin, melatonin, valerian root, even ambien controlled release. This is the only med that can get me to sleep and not give me a weird drugged feeling in the am. Ambien CR didn't even put me to sleep. Weird I know. I would recommend it just beware of the side effects it has, that is night eating and doing things you don't recall in the am."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2017

For Insomnia "I started taking ambien about 2 years ago. I started off with 5 mg then went to 10 mg and then 20 mg. Once the 20mg stopped working I am now changing to a different sleep aid.."

Tired female December 13, 2017

For Insomnia "I began taking Ambien while hospitalized for a high risk pregnancy. The meds I was on to stop contractions made me jittery and restless. When offered a sleeping med I jumped for joy. This was before the side effects were known. Now 17 years later I have been through 8 detoxes followed by 7 rehab stays. Now clean for over 3 years from Ambien addiction that almost cost me my life I want to warn anyone away from this drug. At the worst of my addiction I was taking 60 Ambien, 30 Halcyon,30 Oxypam for panic attacks and 90 Ativan for withdrawal seizures. I have blank spots in my memory that sometimes span weeks. I continued to use Ambien after birth of child to be on a “normal” schedule for her. Worst mistake of my life"

Southerndrugged (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2017

For Insomnia "Ambien is a lifesaver. No matter how tired I am, I can't fall asleep or stay asleep. With Ambien I sleep all night. I have been taking it for about 3 years but I ONLY take 5mg. I think the mistake people make is they take too much. It's not supposed to drug you and make you pass out. It allows you to fall asleep naturally. No need to increase amount. Try it"

Lily P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

For Insomnia "Ambien worked great before it was allowed to become a generic called zolpidem. The generics are much cheaper but, you can wait for hours before it works. Sometimes, it never does. Sadly, I can not find the original Ambien anymore. This leads to sleepless nights."

ryanjenny45 (taken for 10 years or more) November 27, 2017

For Insomnia "It’s been a miracle drug for me for 3 years. Just take it responsibly (I started off 5mg/night, now I’m on 10mg/night), never anything more. 10mg still works for me, even after 2 years of being at this dose. For someone who needs to be functional, productive, and aware in the morning, a good night’s sleep is essential. It might not work for everyone, but as a chronic insomniac since childhood, It’s been a life saver!"

insomniaisNOTfun November 15, 2017

For Insomnia "The first two weeks were great. I was shocked that I slept through the night all week. I woke refreshed, not sleepy at all and just so happy. I even checked there were no antidepressant mixed in the formula. All day, I felt fantastic. Third week is different. I am tired during the day and the evenings, I am so tired I can barely make it to 7pm without feeling like I am going to fall asleep standing up. I have a mild headache most days, like my head feels heavy and my nose is stuffy everyday, but isn't turning into a cold. I had some strange thoughts after taking the half pill 5mg no hallucinations or sleep was at all. I am calling the doctor to check if this is working for me. It really was something great"

MyssL67 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

"Ambien helped me sleep, and I didn't seem to have any adverse symptoms - UNTIL I quit taking it. I've quit taking ambien 3 times in my life, and this third time confirms for me that withdrawing from it causes severe migraines. The first time I stopped taking ambien, I was treated for TMJD because of the horrible neck, shoulder, and head pain. The second time, I was pregnant and thought the migraines were due to hormones. This is the third time and final time. This time I've also had neuropathy in both feet, legs, one side of my trunk and both hands."

Ami_Ambien September 8, 2017

For Insomnia "I have had amnestic episodes: I have had conversations with my spouse that at time were extremely distressing to him- the next day I would have no memory the discussions. I have walked in my sleep. A few times I was saved from hurting myself e.g. thinking (telling him) that I was going to the bathroom but starting to sit down before I got there and luckily caught by my husband - or I might have struck my head if he had not caught me. ( I didn't remember those times as well). But my strange behavior started to worry my husband -a loving and devoted spouse.I have gone onto the internet while on Ambien and bought items. At first I was puzzled by unexpected deliveries of whatever I had bought- I realized the impact of Ambien on my life."

ellen Flynn M.D. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 31, 2017

For Insomnia "I work in a hospital with long hours that can vary between days. When I finally got home and needed to sleep, I'd be kept up with adrenaline from the shift. I started Ambien and was pretty happy with it. I would be out like a light for a solid 7-8 hours and wake up 100% refreshed with no hangover side effects like I get with benadryl or melatonin. You might wake up and eat something weird some nights and not remember but I just look at it as entertainment... 10mg/night...stay up for about an hour and get the "high" people say and then put yourself down for some incredible relaxed sleep."

Ambienruler August 25, 2017

For Insomnia "It works!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

For Insomnia "It made me feel angry, lonely and my depression was worsened. After 2 weeks of taking this I knew something was wrong with me. I paid 29.95 for a month supply and threw away most."

Coot (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

For Insomnia "It's hard for me to fall asleep almost every night. And I'm also a very light sleeper. I don't take it every night (10mg), just when I'm having issues with trying to fall asleep/stay asleep. One of the first times taking it about a year ago, I was visiting my mom. I took the pill and laid down. About 15min later I started sweating and felt really weird! I started hallucinating like crazy!! I was seeing a cat on the bed and then I started seeing people in the room. I then started to freak out and got really scared. I got up to use the bathroom and then fell into the wall. She helped me back to bed. The whole experience was SO scary!! I now take 5mg and it works fine w/ no issues. I think the dose was too much."

ParrotletLover (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2017

For Insomnia "I love ambien! It is the only thing that works for me. A few yrs ago when I started becoming a worse insomniac nothing would work. I remember trying tylonal pm and at first one worked.. then had to bump up to two.. then so on and so on.. until one day I had taken way too many and a Valium and I still wouldn't pass out. I would be all drunk off the meds but it was like the light switch in my head wouldn't turn off. I slept maybe a nap here and there for about a week and was thinking of checking my self into a nutty house because I would drive somewhere without remembering all from lack of sleep. Very long story short ambien is the only thing to me that I take and feels like a natural lay my head down and go to sleep"

AmabienMandy July 4, 2017

For Insomnia "I have had good luck with this drug. Diag with early onset parkinson's in 2010. 46yo. With parkinson's you need a good nights sleep to help repair your brain. For me 1/2 pill does the trick and puts me to sleep for about 5 hours - sure bets laying awake all night."

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

For Insomnia "This helps you sleep alright, but I would hallucinate before I finally feel asleep. I would do as I was told - take it when I was in bed ready to go to sleep. One night everything turned a soft pink color and I swore my cat was urgently trying to tell me something. Another night I thought my then roommate had a party in the living room after I went to bed. I have friends who take it and do things like make phone calls they don't remember and even cook and eat food. I don't recommend it."

JenF (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017