User Reviews for Ambien

Insomnia
7.1

Reviews for Ambien

Crod8309 June 1, 2021

For Insomnia: “ok so Ambien works good for sleep, but I woke up in such a fog that it was uncomfortable and hard to get myself up and do what I needed. I also had bad side effects from this one. not for me...”

WWENerd83 · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2021

For Insomnia: “I have erratic sleep patterns. Some nights, I get full 9 hours & some nights I don't fall asleep until 4am - 5am... Waking up every 2 hours. I've tried Remeron, Unisom, etc. Most meds work for 2 nights, then don't by the 3rd night. ZzzzQUIL works about 1/2 the time. Even after hearing crazy stories about Ambien, I wanted to try it... Night #1, I took 5mg (DIDN'T work). Night #2, I took 10mg (DIDN'T work). Night #3, I tried taking 10mg (DIDN'T WORK). I don't know what to tell my doctor? If I was him & someone said "Ambien did not work", I don't know if I'd believe them lol. My aunt told me to try "Lunesta", but aren't they in the same family? If one doesn't work, the other probably wouldn't either, right?”

Insomniac May 12, 2021

For Insomnia: “I used to take 10mg orally without much success. Now I place 5mg and let it dissolve beneath the tongue. This is so much more effective even at half dose. I would recommend this to all users. Give it a try.”

Ken · Taken for 10 years or more January 25, 2021

For Insomnia: “Quite honestly, I think Ambien has saved my life. I have GAD pretty bad, and take quite a few meds for it. I have been taking Ambien for at least 15 years. Way back before my anxiety was under control, I used to take 15 to as much as 20 mg per night. Over the years. I've been able to gradually cut that back to as little as 5 - 10 mg, and it's still has effective as it ever was. Obviously, treating my GAD also plays a large role, but Zolpidem has been a miracle for me. I find the generic just as good as the name brand - I see no difference. I don't recommend anyone take sleep meds if you don't need them - but if you DO need them, by god take this. We all have one life - live the highest quality life you can, and mine has been very normal and wonderful due to this medication. Medication is your friend if you truly need it and use it in a way that's right for you.”

night owl February 25, 2020

For Insomnia: “I was prescribed ambien by a well-meaning doctor around 2014. She had no trouble refilling my rx. I took one at night and was simply knocked out to sleep. It was lovely! Then, I had a calm period and tried to get off it. Nope. I was dependent. Keep in mind, I was taking as prescribed, no more, and right at bedtime. Fast forward 2016. Now I took it once then drove to Walgreens! Not proud of that at all. I took it a little before bedtime while I was still awake reading in bed and everything was muted. By 2017 I could not sleep without it but was not sleeping much with it. I began taking 1 1/2 pills. For to 6 hours sleep. I would wake up in a panic! I tapered for 2 months then took my last piece on Feb. 15 in 2019. I had a month of horrible insomnia... Just one or two hours. I thought it would never end! But it did. And I will never take another ambien as long as I live.”

JustJeff August 15, 2020

For Insomnia: “Sometimes I am up for days at a time, othertimes I'll sleep for 20 hours at once. My goal is to get to a normal sleep schedule so I can work and function properly. This medication Ambien has been like a godsend. I can go right to sleep whenever I need and get a normal 6-9 hours. I take it ever other day. I also regularly take melatonin, flexaril, or benadryl to help me sleep. Since I was a young kid I haven't been able to have a normal sleep schedule. Now I finally can. Before the Ambien, I would get way off track from not being able to sleep for two or three days at a time then crashing really hard. Now, I am in control of my schedule, and it is so relieving and empowering.”

Sleepless princes · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2020

For Insomnia: “I can't get Ambien to work. I have taken 20 mg and even 30mg one nite. No sleep it almost gives me energy. Nothing has worked for me. Nightquil makes me hyper. I'm going nuts not being able to sleep. Xanax is my favorite but it stops working after 3 nights. And the Dr doesn't like to prescribe these. I don't know what to do? Benadryl doesn't work either for crying out loud. I'm almost out of Xanax so I'm not taking every night. ”

Guy February 29, 2020

For Insomnia: “So I have tried everything for sleep. The only thing that worked ever was benzos and those got me very addicted so I stopped taking them and also stopped sleeping. Well I tried multiple other things and finally got on ambien at a dose of 5mg. I took it nothing happened like nothing at all. So I took another doseand I felt dizzy and tried to just be calm and fall asleep. Literally nothing but a stomach ache. Stayed up all night. I had heard stories about how strong this medicine is. When it literally was like taking sugar pills for me. So sad and so tired”

Sissy · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

For Insomnia: “I have anxiety and depression I have been on every drug known to man nothing works to help me sleep. I went 13 days with no sleep ended up in hospital fine one night of sleep went to my doctor he gave me Ambien I haven't slept since. So why is this happening? I have been on trazodone, citalopram, doxepin, Valium, Ativan Percocet morphine Zoloft Xanax and I can't sleep on anything even over counter pills. I had a sleep study test done which was inconclusive because I was awake all night. Does anyone have help? I'm losing my mind I can't function anymore.”

Pippa · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have been taking 2.5 mg Ambien for the past year for insomnia. I cannot fall asleep due to a racing mind . It gives me 5-6 hrs of sleep but only if I let it melt under my tongue. It works within 30 minutes. If I take it as prescribed it never kicks in even on an empty stomach. This way you can eat late and it will still work. It’s been a godsend for me.”

Insomnia guy · Taken for 10 years or more February 12, 2020

For Insomnia: “In my opinion, be honest with yourself about all of the things that influence things in your life, and most importantly sleep. If you drink too much, have depression, have pain, are completely stressed, etc., please take these in to consideration. I'm a true insomniac, so I am reliant on medication to get at least 4 hours of sleep a night. If I don't have medication for this, I can be up for 4 days. I've been taking Ambien for about 10 years on and off. I find it effective in the first two months or so of taking it, but after that, it's a breath mint. I've also taken Lunestra with the exact same result. I have also taken two and three month breaks from usage to get back to the full effect. I am asking my Doctor to volley my insomnia medication between Lunestra and Ambien every other month. That way, they have the best chance to do what I need from them. Wish you all wellness...”

KnowledgeIsTheTruth · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

For Insomnia: “Ambien is way better than any OTC medication, I have found that when I take it, I'm sleep within 15 minutes and I've had problems sleeping my whole life, since I was a kid and before this medication I would toss and turn for hours and hours, not getting sleep and I am blessed to have gotten this medication. I have not sleep walked, or done anything as others have said they did. I leave my phone downstairs to charge every night, so I do not have access to it and I sleep alone, I have never noticed anything unusual since I always wakeup in my bed. My doctor before this one didn't give me anything for sleep, only said to use melatonin despite telling her that it didn't work for me. My new doctor got me on Ambien and it has changed my life.”

C11 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 6, 2020

For Insomnia: “I've taken Ambien for about 5-6 years for insomnia and sleep apnea. I was told that I shouldn't take it unless absolutely necessary, and I would pass that advice along as well. Please try other medications first, as you typically will become heavily dependent on this medication to sleep. It may not be the case for everyone, but it can be extremely inconvenient. It also is very difficult to sleep without Ambien. I've been in situations where I didn't have access to medication, and didn't sleep. It was very hard and stressful. If nothing else works, Ambien is very good for sleep. It sneaks up on you and puts you asleep very quickly. I have pleasant dreams and restful sleep. Please do your research though, and learn from my mistakes. Try everything else you can first and use this as a last resort.”

Geospam · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 13, 2019

For Insomnia: “I have been using 5 or 10 mg generic Ambien for 8 years and I couldn’t be happier with the results. I have major depressive disorder and anxiety which made going to sleep a nightmare (pun intended). I actually feared bedtime because of my inability to fall and stay asleep. Ambien works within 15 minutes and except for a couple of trips to the bathroom I stay asleep for 7-8 hours. A tad groggy when I get up but it passes quickly if I get up move. I actually look forward to bed whereas prior to Ambien I dreaded a night of difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. No more 2-4 hours of horrible sleep.”

Al · Taken for 10 years or more April 22, 2021

For Insomnia: “20 years and going strong. I chew 5 mg at bedtime to fall asleep faster and wake up at 2 AM to 3 AM and chew 5mg more. Chewing lets it get in and out of system fast so I wake up with no "brain fog" or other symptoms. Quite the opposite, I don't need caffeine in the morning”

Lucus · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

For Insomnia: “Took 10mg Ambien to aid sleep and began having strange dreams and sleep adventures that blended together and I couldn't tell if real or not. I ordered things online, called people at all hours, cooked food and drove around all night. I somewhat remember driving around with total strangers in my car, including an Asian midget sitting in the back seat with a chicken. I thought it was a dream until I found feathers everywhere and a tiny shoe in the car. Most scary was when I woke up next to a strange woman in my bed. She seemed to be drug user and was upset that I didn't know her since we had been friends for a month. She cleaned out my wallet and stole my Ambien while I showered. I never took another pill. This was scary to me and I have no idea where I met these people? I now just take Nyquil when I need sleep.”

jennyb · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have been taking 10mg for about 1 1/2 years. Someone else mentioned getting the "munchies" after taking it. I thought it was just me! Anyway, it's not helping me fall asleep like it used to. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I either need a stronger dose or a different drug.”

icarly · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

For Insomnia: “Ambien does absutely nothing to make me tired. I started with 5mg then 10mg. I waited 30 minutes after taking each on an empty. stomach. So why are they completely inactive to me? How can a drug work so well in others and be completely ineffective for me? Am I the only one?”

needrealambien · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2020

For Insomnia: “Name brand Ambien works great with no waking side effects. However, for generic Zolpidem, please read: I have to cut generic Zolpidem(not real Ambien) in half, sometimes thirds, as full pill turns me into useless zombie following day. Take 15 minutes before bed, gets me to sleep, only wake 2-3 times during sleep to reposition. Dream well. However, with just half pill, can't get out of bed for 10-12 hrs, experience severe vertigo 1-3 hrs with 4-5 hrs of dopiness, and a near total loss of meaningful cognitive function and any motivation to get stuff done. Zolpidem generic is NOT Ambien, as Ambien has none of these side effects. Sadly, existence of Zolpidem and price-gouging in US has prevented Ambien insurance coverage and purchase for millions now without insurance. Zolpidem isn't safe, for hours after waking still unable to drive without being under the influence. FDA should take generic off US market. In meantime, it'd be much safer and productive to live with chronic insomnia.”

Believer · Taken for 10 years or more December 14, 2018

For Insomnia: “I have taken ambien for 10 years. I would guess some would call that an addiction but, I disagree. Everyone is discussing what else to take in its place, so if you’re going to take something, why not something that works. I have maintained the same dosage for the past 7 years. I suffer from anxiety and ADHD. It is the only thing that stops the ever racing thoughts when I try to fall asleep. I have also been told by multiple doctors that they do not usually have concerns about its interaction with other medication, when taken in safe doses. Not a lot of other suggested solutions can boost that. There are the occasional nights where just about nothing can stop the racing anxiety brain but, the overall assistance with my sleeping makes my general day to day anxiety significantly better. There is not a lot worse effects on my anxiety than exhaustion. I think the warnings regarding recommended time of taking this should be reconsidered.”

Steve · Taken for 10 years or more August 13, 2019

For Insomnia: “I have been taking ambien on and off for over ten years to help me sleep. One 10mg tablet works just as well as it did when I first started taking it. When I don't have any I don't go into any types of withdrawals. Puts me to sleep for 9 to 10 hours with no grogginess in the morning. Ambien is a miracle drug for us folks with insomnia.”

Daughter of user February 19, 2020

For Insomnia: “Ambien became a nightmare for my mother and family recently. Because no one fully explained how and when to take Ambien, my mother took it late, around 1am after initially falling asleep around 11pm and waking up sleepless. She’d then attempt to wake up around 8am and function normally. Well, no. We thought she was having a stroke and called 911. Falling over, slurred speech, texts that look like this, “Ecotidhfhudishfjffmn”....all very abnormal behavior for my mom who is very vibrant and healthy! After several days of this mystery morning “illness”, she finally alluded to taking her Ambien dosage at 1am. Well, duh. Mystery illness solved. My intention is to warn others who take Ambien - I insisted she stop taking it and sleeps even better now! - to take it as soon as you go to bed and DON’T expect to function normally until you’ve had 8 hours of sleep after dosing.”

Grandma · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2020

For Insomnia: “I had cancer 13 years ago so anyways couldn’t sleep after that so my dr put me on 15 mg of ambien and a few years down the road because of regulations he had to cut it to 10 mg. Which I’m still not used to, well I was going to VA and had to switch to regular Doctor, I have a dr. that hates Ambien but at least she is giving me 5 mg and now I am very restless and get around 4 to 5 hrs of sleep. Very tough, but I know my life is shortened by being on Ambien but I have tried absolutely every thing on the shelf of sleep aids, and Ambien is the only one that will give me sleep and no nightmares.”

Rhonda YC · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 8, 2014

For Insomnia: “I have used this medicine off and on for 7 years. All of you who have issues with doing things that you don't remember need to be sure that you are taking it properly. I have been there and my 24 year old daughter still laughs at the things I have no memory of.. and I own several things I bought at 2 am. Finally two years ago I found a physician who took the time to explain how this medicine works and it changed everything. You must be lying in bed, "ready to go to sleep", with no lights on at all. Ambien shuts down part of your brain and if you are not waiting to fall asleep lying in bed then after you take it the chemical reaction that allows you to fall asleep so easily also keeps you from remembering things you do. Take it properly.”

Feathers McGraw February 26, 2008

For Insomnia: “My insomnia comes from anxiety issues when I try to sleep. I found that Ambien didn't make me sleepy but it did relax me enough to fall asleep. There are tons of stories floating around about strange behavior and I have my share. I found this only happens when I try to do things between ingestion and onset. Only take it when you are already in bed, relaxing, and attempting to fall alseep, and you shouldn't have any problems.”

Akan · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

For Insomnia: “I suffered from insomnia for over 15 years, it was awful. There is nothing worse than not being able to fall asleep and toss and turn until morning. Finally, 3 months ago I tried Ambien at 5 mg. It changed my life! Now I have no problems falling asleep and wake up after 8 hrs refreshed. No side effects so far. I am very happy.”

Aj · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 23, 2019

For Insomnia: “This Is really answering JK's question after a certain amount of time yes the ambien loses its effectiveness what I would suggest what you do would be to go to something else for 60 days maybe even 90 days then go back to ambien. This will make your tolerance to the ambien all but disappear and you'll be good to go. I have found I have to do this about every 8 to 10 months”

Boner · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2019

For Insomnia: “This drug Ambien works great. I have used it on and off for at least 15 years. The drug works fast, the onset is 10 minutes (for me), dosage does not seem to build tolerance (for me). The only downside is I get the munchies from zolpidem which is problematic at bedtime. Generics seem to be similar potency as original.”