User Reviews for Ambien

Insomnia
7.4

Summary of Ambien reviews 7.4 440 reviews

Reviews for Ambien

For Insomnia "After having gastric bypass in 08, I ended up in hospital for a month. It took one of the night nurses to notice I never slept. He talked to other nurses and they noticed too but never said anything. They called dr that night n gave me an Ambien. I was in heaven. I've always had problems with insomnia. It kept getting worse, so I took 2 a night. I'm lucky if that works every 2 or 3 days n that only works for 4-5 hours. We tried the extended release, and if u can believe this, is worse. Maybe 2 1/2 hours. I've tried every sleep medicine, done so many sleep studies and no one has any ideas on how to help me at all. 7 days was the longest without sleep n ended up in hospital for the same amount of days. No sleep is the most horrible mind screwing thing ever. It's horrible, horrible, horrible and don't wish it on anyone!!!!"

Klbluvroll (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien did not make me groggy during the day and did make me fall asleep, but I was forgetful during the day and fell out of bed and bruised my arm badly. I still think it is a good medication for severe insomnia. Not good to take long term for me."

Merry (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

For Insomnia "I'm a very positive person but Ambien left me extremely depressed and completely out of character. I told my doctor but she blew me off. I think it's junk and I would never take it again."

Tigerwrl (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For Insomnia "I have suffered with chronic insomnia since last year so my doctor gave me 10mg Ambien to try and I have to say it does work quick (within 20 mins) and I reckon it gives me between 4 and 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep before I wake. Some nights it works better than others, weird but not sure why despite empty stomach. However I only take it about 2 or 3 nights a week but on the nights I don't take it I have a really crazy nightmares but in between them I toss and turn for hours. So I can understand out of desperation people take this medication every night because of the problems when you stop taking it. I came off it for 2 weeks and it took about a week for me to get a reasonable night's sleep and that's despite not taking it every night. So whilst this drug is extremely effective for sleep onset insomnia it does seem to affect the body longer than the professionals say as like I mentioned about the lingering sleep troubles after you stop taking it. So my advice is take sparingly."

LiamCK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

For Insomnia "I took this medicine for only 3 months. At first I was amazed by it's effectiveness but I only slept for 4 hours and was having some anxiety attack the day after. I was calling this drug : the chemical lobotomy . Highly addictive because you don't want to stop this magical affect of falling asleep after 10 minutes of taking it. It took me a few attempts to be able to stop it. When it did stop working after 3 months and I was needing 2 pills to fall asleep , I simply stopped and replaced it with xanax . Too expensive also. Harmful for the gums and teeth. There is a type of sugar in it and because it melt under the tongue , the sugar residue stay there for the night, your teeth and gums will degrade. Try to find something else. Also , I had to drive my kid to school the morning after and I was not really straight , I didn't like to drive the morning after. Dangerous."

sirius1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

For Insomnia "I suffer from anxiety and Ambien does give me at least 5 hours of sleep. Without it I wake up at least 4 times a night to use the restroom, which I'm surprised I don't wet the bed! I have not had any significant side effects. Sometimes I'll forget to do something and fight off the Ambien and I start thinking of weird trippy thoughts, and that's when I realize it's the ambien and hit the hay. There has been 2 nights in the last 4 months that I woke up shivering and sweaty but getting some sleep is better than risking the cold sweats. I recently tried sleeping without Ambien....and was awake for 48 hours. I would not say I have grown an addiction to it, but without it I fear that I will never sleep. I do not have an addictive personality at all. I do notice I am hungry all day. Haven't gained any weight though so that could be nothing. If I drink or eat before Ambien (I rarely drink) I feel it is less effective. There is risk with every medicine. If you need sleep it is worth a shot."

Sleepygirl August 5, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien saved my life. I’ve suffered from severe panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Phobias since I was 5 and 6. I was also diagnosed with ADHD when I was 11. The anxiety has come and gone and I have been on 25 MGs. Of Zoloft for years. Well, I’m 21 now and thought that I could get off my anxiety meds about a year ago and boy was I wrong. It was fine for about a year but in December something snapped and I was in a full fledged panic mode. I couldn’t eat or sleep or even function. I felt like I was dying. Anyways, my dad used to take ambien for travel and he happened to have some left. I was in a fit and was bawling cause of sleep deprivation and he’s like here, take half of one of these. I took my first 5mgs of ambien and I could sleep! I cried when I woke up cause I started to feel better. I then got my own prescription and eventually I didn’t need them and I went back to normal. I have some in case of emergencies, but I don’t need to take it every night."

danicalifornia July 15, 2018

For Insomnia "Prescribed for over 10 years. Had to cut dosage in 1/2 due to recall difficulties. Binge eating an understatement. Works well for chronic insomnia even with moderate caffeine intake. Need to take rest position almost immediately after nightly dosage or medicine benefits pass unnoticed."

Hammer2x (taken for 10 years or more) June 28, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien is a miracle drug, in my opinion. It can become addictive and you can build up a tolerance for it, but that doesn't have to be the case. It happened to me several years ago when I was taking 10mg each and every night over a period of several months. During the past two or three years, I've been taking a maximum of 5mg a couple of times a week. More often than not, I break a 5mg tablet in half, and that does the trick. I have not become addicted to it again. I simply take the pill about 15 minutes before going to bed, and then I drift off peacefully and sleep soundly until morning. When I wake up, I don't feel drugged or still drowsy. I feel refreshed. When used sensibly, Ambien can be a godsend."

Katzpur (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2018

For Insomnia "Everyone please be aware that Ambien has very dangerous side effects. I was placed on it for insomnia. I took a dose one night before bed one night. My husband, I landed up becoming very agitated, running up and down the stairs and around the house, you could do anything and not remembering one bit of this the next day. I became very scared after hearing this and immediately stopped it and told my doctor of this adverse reaction. Be aware of this dangerous drug reaction!"

Kim June 7, 2018

For Insomnia "Yes I was given Ambien and I awoke and had heavy chest pain. Just a side effect my Dr said and keep taking it. Odd tho was I took one and I awoke after ony a few hours of sleep. So I'd like to know how many hours of sleep do u get off Ambien? Odd too that with the lack of sleep also I found myself saying thing and things that I normally don't say or do - not the real me."

NOT A DRUGGIE (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Insomnia "I took the quick release Ambien for 5 years. It worked great for sleep. I did have some bad side effects of doing things on Ambien that I don't remember the next day. It's similar to amnesia. I would take long grocery shopping trips and not remember them the next day. Things you have done just don't even exist in your memory so be careful only take them when you are in a safe situation. I give is an 8 because I did sleep--but the side effects were pretty bad."

Momma416 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 31, 2018

For Insomnia "Awesome! 2.5 mg almost every night has improved my life! I can get a solid 7-8 hours sleep regularly. The health benefits of this can not be underestimated! Ambien in not addictive. You can build up tolerance, but taking a low dosage regularly will cause better sleep patterns, therefore no need to increase dosage. The onset is quick, 30 minutes, and you wake up well rested. The health benefits of solid regular sleep (lower risk of heart disease, less stress and anxiety, more alert driving) should not be underestimated! Take the lowest dosage that works and stay on it. Stop listening to people who freak out when they hear Ambien. It has far fewer side effects than most other drugs. Melatonin is unregulated here, Tylenol PM dries out mucous membranes due to the benedryl and the chronic use of tylenol is tough on your liver. Xanax, Clonopine, etc. are benzodiazapines and can be addictive. Ambien is safe, effective and a lifesaver for chronic insomniacs."

kara May 27, 2018

For Insomnia "I’ve been on Ambien for 3 years. I started taking it during lots of international travel to help me sleep on planes. I continue taking it now for help with sleep. I take 10mg two to three times a week. When I first started taking it, it didn’t do much to put me to sleep, but it definitely helped keep me asleep. 3 years later, this stuff knocks me out and keeps me sound asleep for 6-7 hours. Contrary to other posts, I have never felt the slightest dependency or addiction to Ambien. It is a wonderful product."

JD (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2018

For Insomnia "Only thing that works for sleep."

Sandilikeabeach (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2018

For Insomnia "I break it up into teeny tiny pieces and it helps me fall asleep. Sometimes I take as little as 1.66 mg but 2.5 mg is my fave. I don't have trouble staying asleep, just falling asleep due to ADHD and an overactive procrastinating mind. When I used to take more of it, I would get rebound and wake up 5 hours later not being able to sleep. I don’t get that with smaller doses, sometimes I take it if I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t sleep. It does cause me to have bad skin if I take it too much. Clogs my pores big time. Very expensive stuff."

Teeny bit (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Zolpidem gave me the only withdrawal symptoms of my life. 48 hours of extreme mental and physical pain, soaked clothing and high blood pressure. Got hooked after just 1 month of continual use, about 4 x 10 mg doses per day. I have taken hydrocodone for pain for more than a month with no withdrawal symptoms and only moderate (manageable) craving. I started taking Ambien to fall asleep, then needed another dose 4 hours later to stay asleep, then started taking it during daytime to stave off the after-effects of the drug."

Vlad Tepes (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

For Insomnia "I've been taking Ambien for several years. Started taking 5mg only when on vacation while sleeping in an unfamiliar environment. Several years later I started having to take 5mg every night. Now I split the 10mg into thirds and it works great but I still take it every night. No side effects that I can tell. I always sleep through the night. Would like to split it into fourths but it's difficult to split that small. Melatonin is horrible, makes me sluggish the next morning with a nasty headache. I've tried several times to stop Ambien and it's not difficult to stop (no cravings or withdrawal symptoms), it's just that I don't fall asleep on my own anymore."

Sue (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2018

For Insomnia "I have been dealing with severe insomnia recently and tried several things. Melatonin worked for about a day, than stopped. I tried OTC options, but nothing worked I would get drowsy but still unable to fall asleep. It was beginning to take a toll on my body, I have a physically demanding job and was really feeling the effects. My doctor is great, he asked about things I've tried and he told me to try Ambien. Well, talk about fantastic I took it last night after trying to fall asleep naturally and failing, and within 45 minutes I was blissfully asleep. I slept the entire night, something I haven't been able to do. It works wonders for me, although I haven't been on it enough to know if it will continue to work and I am aware of the limitations of this drug (shouldn't take it more than 2 weeks). If you have a doctor willing to let you try it, I would highly recommend you do so. Make sure you take it about an hour before you want to be in bed sleeping."

Weee96 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Sometimes it helped me fall asleep, sometimes it didn't. And if you do take this, do not resist the urge to fall asleep....else you will trip. One night I felt like my bedroom was a rocket ship and if I were to open my bedroom door I would be in outer space....next drug please."

Dantheman93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

For Insomnia "I've used this med for years with no apparent problem. WRONG. As I began asking family and friends, I find I have been doing MANY dangerous activities with absolutely NO recollection. This medication is absolutely frightening. I had no idea there was even a problem. Use at risk of yourself and those around you. I now have a criminal record and am just glad no one got physically hurt."

jmcm (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018

For Insomnia "I have taken every sleeping medication under the stars but Ambien is all that works for me. I take it 2-4 times a week when I know I need decent sleep. I cut a 10mg pill in half usually, but sometimes I take a full 10mg so I can sleep solidly for 9 hours straight. Unfortunately, when I took Ambien every night, it stopped working for me, so now I switch it up and take melatonin when I don't take Ambien, but that doesn't even work for me anymore. One bottle of 30 10mg pills lasts me 4 months, and I need to keep stretching it out like this because Army medical does not like to keep giving patients Ambien, even though multiple doctors have seen that it is the only thing that helps me sleep, and obviously I am not addicted because I can go days without taking it."

dawn19825 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Insomnia "Only medication that allows me to get about 7 hours of deep sleep. No sleepwalking, sleep eating or dreams.... Just solid sleep. After a while it doesn't keep me asleep the entire time so I cut back for a while. I've taken every benzo and besides xanax, this works the best."

slickwilly (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Insomnia "Ambien is the only thing that has worked for me to sleep. The only problem is is I get withdrawals and anxiety during the day."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

For Insomnia "From a child I have had problems sleeping, as a teen I would be awake all night laying in bed and have to go to school next day. Well in my twenties and thirties I gave up working as couldn't sleep well. Yeah I took sominex stuff over counter and would get a few hours of good sleep. But when I got to 40 years old I so stressed No sleep was killing me and I was so anxious and panic attacks were getting so bad I wouldn't leave house. So I told my doc I gotta have something and he gave me Ambien and small does of Xanax. That was 13 years ago. I go in every six months for bloodwork and all is fine and Ambien gave me my life back again. I sleep only 5-6 hours on 10 mg but that works for me. But yesterday he said after he gave me six month script that he don't' know how longer he can give it unless I go see a psychiatrist or go for sleep study. Govt is cracking down."

wilmaweiny February 3, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes