User Reviews for Ambien

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I started taking ambien about 2 years ago. I started off with 5 mg then went to 10 mg and then 20 mg. Once the 20mg stopped working I am now changing to a different sleep aid.."

Tired female December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien is a lifesaver. No matter how tired I am, I can't fall asleep or stay asleep. With Ambien I sleep all night. I have been taking it for about 3 years but I ONLY take 5mg. I think the mistake people make is they take too much. It's not supposed to drug you and make you pass out. It allows you to fall asleep naturally. No need to increase amount. Try it"

Lily P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien worked great before it was allowed to become a generic called zolpidem. The generics are much cheaper but, you can wait for hours before it works. Sometimes, it never does. Sadly, I can not find the original Ambien anymore. This leads to sleepless nights."

ryanjenny45 (taken for 10 years or more) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It’s been a miracle drug for me for 3 years. Just take it responsibly (I started off 5mg/night, now I’m on 10mg/night), never anything more. 10mg still works for me, even after 2 years of being at this dose. For someone who needs to be functional, productive, and aware in the morning, a good night’s sleep is essential. It might not work for everyone, but as a chronic insomniac since childhood, It’s been a life saver!"

insomniaisNOTfun November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first two weeks were great. I was shocked that I slept through the night all week. I woke refreshed, not sleepy at all and just so happy. I even checked there were no antidepressant mixed in the formula. All day, I felt fantastic. Third week is different. I am tired during the day and the evenings, I am so tired I can barely make it to 7pm without feeling like I am going to fall asleep standing up. I have a mild headache most days, like my head feels heavy and my nose is stuffy everyday, but isn't turning into a cold. I had some strange thoughts after taking the half pill 5mg no hallucinations or sleep was at all. I am calling the doctor to check if this is working for me. It really was something great"

MyssL67 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had amnestic episodes: I have had conversations with my spouse that at time were extremely distressing to him- the next day I would have no memory the discussions. I have walked in my sleep. A few times I was saved from hurting myself e.g. thinking (telling him) that I was going to the bathroom but starting to sit down before I got there and luckily caught by my husband - or I might have struck my head if he had not caught me. ( I didn't remember those times as well). But my strange behavior started to worry my husband -a loving and devoted spouse.I have gone onto the internet while on Ambien and bought items. At first I was puzzled by unexpected deliveries of whatever I had bought- I realized the impact of Ambien on my life."

ellen Flynn M.D. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I work in a hospital with long hours that can vary between days. When I finally got home and needed to sleep, I'd be kept up with adrenaline from the shift. I started Ambien and was pretty happy with it. I would be out like a light for a solid 7-8 hours and wake up 100% refreshed with no hangover side effects like I get with benadryl or melatonin. You might wake up and eat something weird some nights and not remember but I just look at it as entertainment... 10mg/night...stay up for about an hour and get the "high" people say and then put yourself down for some incredible relaxed sleep."

Ambienruler August 25, 2017

"It works!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It made me feel angry, lonely and my depression was worsened. After 2 weeks of taking this I knew something was wrong with me. I paid 29.95 for a month supply and threw away most."

Coot (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's hard for me to fall asleep almost every night. And I'm also a very light sleeper. I don't take it every night (10mg), just when I'm having issues with trying to fall asleep/stay asleep. One of the first times taking it about a year ago, I was visiting my mom. I took the pill and laid down. About 15min later I started sweating and felt really weird! I started hallucinating like crazy!! I was seeing a cat on the bed and then I started seeing people in the room. I then started to freak out and got really scared. I got up to use the bathroom and then fell into the wall. She helped me back to bed. The whole experience was SO scary!! I now take 5mg and it works fine w/ no issues. I think the dose was too much."

ParrotletLover (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love ambien! It is the only thing that works for me. A few yrs ago when I started becoming a worse insomniac nothing would work. I remember trying tylonal pm and at first one worked.. then had to bump up to two.. then so on and so on.. until one day I had taken way too many and a Valium and I still wouldn't pass out. I would be all drunk off the meds but it was like the light switch in my head wouldn't turn off. I slept maybe a nap here and there for about a week and was thinking of checking my self into a nutty house because I would drive somewhere without remembering all from lack of sleep. Very long story short ambien is the only thing to me that I take and feels like a natural lay my head down and go to sleep"

AmabienMandy July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had good luck with this drug. Diag with early onset parkinson's in 2010. 46yo. With parkinson's you need a good nights sleep to help repair your brain. For me 1/2 pill does the trick and puts me to sleep for about 5 hours - sure bets laying awake all night."

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This helps you sleep alright, but I would hallucinate before I finally feel asleep. I would do as I was told - take it when I was in bed ready to go to sleep. One night everything turned a soft pink color and I swore my cat was urgently trying to tell me something. Another night I thought my then roommate had a party in the living room after I went to bed. I have friends who take it and do things like make phone calls they don't remember and even cook and eat food. I don't recommend it."

JenF (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Ambien for almost 10 years and it works like a charm for me. I was prescribed Ambien following the murder of my only child. A year later my husband of 40 years was diagnosed with ALS. I am a full-time working caregiver and sleep would be elusive if not for Ambien. I am now 61 years young and healthy as a horse. Unfortunately, Express Scripts, BCBS or my employer is making it almost impossible for me to get a Rx filled. I am very frustrated!! People are different and Rxs work differently on all of us ! I know Ambien works for me."

GardenJoy (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien or 'Zolped...' was terrible. I started hallucinating. Now, I do drink caffeine in the morning but it should not have this koo koo effect. My ceiling turned into peaceful, lit-up jellyfish tentacles and my pillow turned into a moving/billowing cloud of a worm. Pretty crazy but that is what I saw when I took this crap. I was dazed... it didn't initially help me fall asleep. Perhaps I'm allergic to Ambien, I have no idea. I believe I took it with 5 or 10mg of melatonin. Whew... that was a cocktail to go nuts. Stick with Tamazepam (Restoril)... way better"

Sunrise1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 68 year-old male and I've taken this drug for almost 10 years and it has helped me enormously. I have had no side effects yet my doctor now says he wants me to get off it. I asked why and he said Ambien is dangerous. After 10 years now it's dangerous? I now am cutting down to 1/4 of 5mg and it is not working. I asked what options do I have and he said "natural sleep is best" Thanks, doctor."

dondo747 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love Ambien. Love it. However, building up a tolerance sucks, the drug testing sucks, having to have a doctors appointment monthly to get a prescription sucks, and knowing I'm taking something I know I could become dependent on sucks. No groggy mornings, if taken within a half hour of going to bed I can fall asleep easily, and a few funny text conversations to wake up to. I have tried SO many things and this is so far the only one that has even helped."

MelseyKiller (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking this medication as prescibe by my doctor it has not helped at all in fact the third time taking it I did not feel sleepy nor did I fall asleep"

Nochange May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it two years it has been wonderful for me the only downside is the tolerence I've buliding up my doctor put me on Lunesta last night and I do not like it it did not work it makes me feel like garbage all day I want is to go back to my Ambien already!"

Anonymous35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Ambien 15 years ago I stopped it while I was pregnant with my first child and then ended up going back on it from lack of sleep for so long. I took it again first time 6 1/2 years before becoming pregnant again and then had to stop it. When my youngest son was a year and a half old I started taking it again because I could not sleep longer than an hour. When I first started taking Ambien I think the chemical compound was a different because back then I would eat in my sleep, cook meals in my sleep, but then after going off of it and going back on it I believe the formulation changed. I have not had any of those issues for over 13 years. Taking it on empty stomach makes a huge difference."

Collinevin1980 (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had chronic insomnia most of my life, I took ambien 10mgs for 6 yrs it helped me so much to lead productive life, sleeping at night waking up in the morning with really no bad side effects, I don't live in the US anymore and ambien isn't available I think due the bad rap it gets by complainer"s, while people like myself who have benefitted from it aren't as likely to review a drug, they haven't had a problem with - just human nature. I've tried a whole host of anti-depresents & other sedatives 7-8 none are as effective and have more side effects than ambien"

AnthonyEU (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 10mg ambien, 3mg klonipin and 100mg of Seroquel. Sleep pretty good most of the time. A bit groggy in the morning but nothing a shot of coffee won't fix"

qwewqe April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just tried ambien last night for the first time since not getting any more than 2-3 hrs of sleep and I didn't take the recommended amount of 5mg I took 10mg n it worked perfect for me no side affects of being drowsy in the morning nothing slept right through the night and woke up like a new refreshed woman."

Katilya April 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" I hate the doctors that prescribe ambien to patients like me. They are putting patent's life in danger. I know some people taking this pill during the day too and they take way too much . It is adicctive"

Mavina (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given ambien 5mg tablets while I was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery and ambien actually kept me wide awake!"

Lucia1999 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017