User Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

Ambien Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien

"Ambien is AWFUL!! This is my first night on it, I was taking Lunesta. It is 3:47am right now and I am so upset - not only does it not help insomnia it makes it sooo much worse. It did not help me fall asleep, I woke up within the first two hours of taking it and have not gone back to sleep since then. Can’t wait for my alarm to go off!"

Sleepdeprived (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2019

"I’ve been using Ambien two to three nights a week for 6 months now (due to split shift at work). Have had no side effects like I’ve heard about. Doesn’t make me groggy when I awake, unlike other sleep medications like Unisom. Puts me asleep within 20 minutes, I stay asleep for 8 hours. Few times I woke up after a 3 hours, but that’s rare. Very helpful if you have a hard time sleeping."

Achilles (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2019

"My oncologist (I'm fighting cancer) prescribed Ambien for me, as I'm going through a period of intense insomnia. I used it for two nights. As I fall asleep but wake up at three or four--unable to get back to sleep--I took it upon waking in the middle of the night. Ambien puts you out--you don't know you're falling asleep, and then you wake up. Three hours later! This is a short-action drug. Waking at 7 or so, I was intensely groggy. As I tried to get up and start my day, I felt odd and not in a good way. My nap later in the day was a drugged sleep. Last evening, I was irritable and felt feverish. I've put the Ambien away. It is far too chemical a drug for me, and my body is already dealing with heavy medications."

writergirl (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2019

"I tried Ambien for sleep when it first came out. Initially it seemed great. Then I fell down the stairs and broke many ribs. I was lucky. I discovered I was sleep walking but the drug was to new and people hadn’t started to report that yet. I was fortunate that I only broke ribs.! I realized quickly that Ambien wasn’t the medication for me BUT I NEVER BLAMED or held liable the medication. I took it knowing it was fairly new. It was my responsibility not the drug companies. We are responsible for what medication we take."

Dorie May 4, 2019

"Ambien ... this is a very DANGEROUS DRUG! I used this drug for approximately 60 days. I HAD TO STOP IT! I found myself in dangerous locations not knowing where or why I was there. I found myself driving in neighboring cities! Sleeping on sides of roads. The worst part is I probably don't remember most of my own experiences. I believe Ambien should be outlawed! I believe Ambien is a disaster waiting to happen."

Seppe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

"I have taken 2.5 mg. Ambien off and on for 20 years. It has saved me as I have insomnia and cannot sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night. I take Ambien in the middle of the night and feel rested with no side effects in the morning. I am 81 years old and feel tired if I have only 3 hours sleep. I take Ambien several nights a week so I am not exhausted during the day."

Barb (taken for 10 years or more) April 30, 2019

"This medicine seems to help with my problem of fear of falling asleep at night. The trazadone was not working, this seems to help. Do not drink alcohol on this medicine and take it as prescribed."

Nope2937 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2019

"Ambien has been something I've been prescribed periodically for many years. The best attributes of Ambien seem to permanently go away after so many doses. It's easier to get off of than benzodiazapines. It use to give me Picasso like inspirations to doodle before I dozed off. Now it just slightly lifts my mood and I'm having to slowly wean myself off. It seems to very from generic to generic more than most drugs, but that could just be me."

thomas aquinas (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2019

"I've been taking 10 mg of Ambien every night for years. There are no withdrawals. I've gone on vacation for 10 days and forgotten them. The worst thing I felt was not being able to fall asleep. But duh. It does not make you high. It makes you tired."

Jb (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2019

"I absolutely HATE this garbage Ambien!!!! Words cannot express how much I hate it. It really messed with me !!! I am Bi polar and have major depressive disorder and was put on this by my doctor nurse because I wasn't falling asleep like I was supposed to!! I took half of a 10mg tablet for a week and a half and did just fine. Then one-day I woke up EXTREMELY groggy and feeling horribly drugged!!! I didn't think anything about it. So I continued to take it and it only got worse!!!! I was messed up for over two weeks because of this trash!!! My doctor said he does NOT like giving this out and doesn't know why his nurse did that!!! I was horribly depressed and excessively sleepy for two weeks!!! My doctor said it literally messes with the chemicals in your brain!!!! This should be taken off the market!!! Much rather not sleep then feel the way I did!!! DO NOT TAKE!!!"

Daisy (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

"I have taken Ambien since I lost my son 7 years ago. It is a blessing that I can continue to rest. I have sleepless night when I have not taken it."

Cheryl (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2019

"Concerta during the day, 10mg ambien and 1- 2's Ativan at night"

Kado March 18, 2019

"Took 10 mg. It didn’t help me sort out my sleep cycle. Unfortunately my sleep cycle shifted to 4a-11a. I wanted to sleep around 10p. I tried Ambien for several nights but I was not able to sleep at an earlier time. I am disappointed."

Penny (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

"I have to say, for me Ambien was the holy Grail of sleep medicines out there ; and I've tried quite a few from OTC to prescription medication . Since about 6 months ago I had a horrible horrible case of insomnia. Wide awake a night but crash for a few hours in the day and be right back. Same dreadful cycle all day everyday. Meanwhile in that time I had gotten Zzz Quil, Unisom 10mgs of melatonin pill, tablet and liquid form. Equate sleeping pills. ...that's just the tip. I can't remember all the names but it goes down the line with otc medicine. Then when I saw my doctor he first tried vistriel. NOPE, like taking candy. Then trazadone, still nothing. He tried me on Valium, axanax, Valium and Klonopin and I DID NOT LIKE those from the very beginning. But he still wanted to try. See I don't like taking controlled substance but wanted to see if it would help. Next belsomara nope nothing!!! Ambien is the best sleep aid so far."

Sugar bear March 10, 2019

"I have taken ambien for 10 years. I would guess some would call that an addiction but, I disagree. Everyone is discussing what else to take in its place, so if you’re going to take something, why not something that works. I have maintained the same dosage for the past 7 years. I suffer from anxiety and ADHD. It is the only thing that stops the ever racing thoughts when I try to fall asleep. I have also been told by multiple doctors that they do not usually have concerns about its interaction with other medication, when taken in safe doses. Not a lot of other suggested solutions can boost that. There are the occasional nights where just about nothing can stop the racing anxiety brain but, the overall assistance with my sleeping makes my general day to day anxiety significantly better. There is not a lot worse effects on my anxiety than exhaustion. I think the warnings regarding recommended time of taking this should be reconsidered."

Believer (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2018

"Careful with this drug. I would not recommend to use for more than a couple of weeks. I took it for just over a month and ran into problems after the third week. There's a good reason most doctors are unwilling for it to be given out long term because it is pretty bad to withdraw from and you can start to crave the high that it gives if you stay up, just one night of doing that was enough as I got addicted. I found myself not remembering that I took more than one..... Some nights I took 3 and even 4 one night. The next day I was severely drowsy, was also experiencing withdrawal sweats, muscle twitches and severe anxiety. Personally I find Doxylamine to be actually more effective than Ambien and it's not addictive."

Peter606 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2018

"10 mg worked great for about 3 weeks of nightly use but after a while I could not get back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night. This was probably stress for me and worrying about not falling back asleep. It should be noted though that this drug is classed as a short acting sleeping pill with a "duration of action" of 3 hours, so if you wake up early it's not that surprising. The CR version works for about 5-6 hours. The regular version does however do a good job at getting you to sleep. If your problem is both falling and staying asleep the CR version would be better."

Fred123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

"Have taken every night since early 2014. No side effects that I can tell, wake refreshed and alert. Saved my life! My insomnia was relentless and scary. No longer. Thankful."

Alyson (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2018

"I suffer from high-anxiety and insomnia. I have tried many sleep-aids, both OTC and by prescription. Nothing has helped. Ambien is the only sleep-aid that helps calm me down so that I may sleep soundly. It works very fast. I have been prescribed the 5mg and 10mg. The 10mg I usually break in half. The prescription is only for 14 days. Belsomra and Trazodone did nothing to help me. Ambien has been a life saver."

D (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2018

"Been taking these for a few weeks and so far they are effective for making me fall asleep. I have never had any weird side effects like sleep walking, shopping, driving etc. I think if you take the recommended dose and steer clear of alcohol when taking them you should be fine. It seems when people don't heed that advice is when they run into problems. And like other people say you should starve for at least 4 hours before taking this medication as food (especially fatty foods) competes with Ambien."

Liam85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

"After being a good sleeper out of the blue I began to suffer bad insomnia, taking hours to fall asleep or repeated awakenings which was not like me! Possibly because of neighbor issues for years causing stress which finally started to impact my sleep, I tried over the counter meds with no success, then my doctor gave me Ambien and it works so well for me at 10mg, it does not always keep me asleep all night but at least it knocks me out and destroys any anxiety due to insomnia. It seems those of us with insomnia find it hard to calm the brain down and repeated sleepless nights makes us more anxious making sleep increasingly hard to come by. Medications like Ambien are effective as they increase GABA in the brain leading to relaxation and then makes it easier to sleep. I would say this drug is safe, surely better than drinking alcohol to sleep which has bad health impacts. Regular good sleep improves my mood, appetite, lowers anxiety and depression, Ambien does this, it's a good thing!"

Chris1985 October 5, 2018

"I have taken ambians and I'm still wide awake it's doing nothing for my insomnia"

Jamall (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

"Hip and back pain keeping me awake all night even with pain medicine. Doc gave me Ambien several weeks ago, and it is the only drug really helping me right now. Opioids do not help me or make me sleepy. Spent many nights taking hydrocodone with no sleep."

Leki September 30, 2018

"I’ve had insomnia for about 2 weeks before I got Ambien. I was not sleeping at all or for only a few hours before Ambien CR was prescribed. It did not work at all for me at first. No effect whatsoever. Dr switched me to quick release and I made sure to take it on an empty stomach. It puts me to sleep but usually for 2 to 4 hrs. I haven’t had any weird side effects at all. It’s an OK medicine but it’s hasn’t given me what I was searching for: a full nights sleep."

Penny (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

"Always puts me to sleep but I almost always wake up after about 1 -1.75 hrs. I wake up starving. Going back to bed no help from the medication. "

Dave (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2018