User Reviews for Ambien

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"It's hard for me to fall asleep almost every night. And I'm also a very light sleeper. I don't take it every night (10mg), just when I'm having issues with trying to fall asleep/stay asleep. One of the first times taking it about a year ago, I was visiting my mom. I took the pill and laid down. About 15min later I started sweating and felt really weird! I started hallucinating like crazy!! I was seeing a cat on the bed and then I started seeing people in the room. I then started to freak out and got really scared. I got up to use the bathroom and then fell into the wall. She helped me back to bed. The whole experience was SO scary!! I now take 5mg and it works fine w/ no issues. I think the dose was too much."

ParrotletLover (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love ambien! It is the only thing that works for me. A few yrs ago when I started becoming a worse insomniac nothing would work. I remember trying tylonal pm and at first one worked.. then had to bump up to two.. then so on and so on.. until one day I had taken way too many and a Valium and I still wouldn't pass out. I would be all drunk off the meds but it was like the light switch in my head wouldn't turn off. I slept maybe a nap here and there for about a week and was thinking of checking my self into a nutty house because I would drive somewhere without remembering all from lack of sleep. Very long story short ambien is the only thing to me that I take and feels like a natural lay my head down and go to sleep"

AmabienMandy July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had good luck with this drug. Diag with early onset parkinson's in 2010. 46yo. With parkinson's you need a good nights sleep to help repair your brain. For me 1/2 pill does the trick and puts me to sleep for about 5 hours - sure bets laying awake all night."

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This helps you sleep alright, but I would hallucinate before I finally feel asleep. I would do as I was told - take it when I was in bed ready to go to sleep. One night everything turned a soft pink color and I swore my cat was urgently trying to tell me something. Another night I thought my then roommate had a party in the living room after I went to bed. I have friends who take it and do things like make phone calls they don't remember and even cook and eat food. I don't recommend it."

JenF (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Ambien for almost 10 years and it works like a charm for me. I was prescribed Ambien following the murder of my only child. A year later my husband of 40 years was diagnosed with ALS. I am a full-time working caregiver and sleep would be elusive if not for Ambien. I am now 61 years young and healthy as a horse. Unfortunately, Express Scripts, BCBS or my employer is making it almost impossible for me to get a Rx filled. I am very frustrated!! People are different and Rxs work differently on all of us ! I know Ambien works for me."

GardenJoy (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien or 'Zolped...' was terrible. I started hallucinating. Now, I do drink caffeine in the morning but it should not have this koo koo effect. My ceiling turned into peaceful, lit-up jellyfish tentacles and my pillow turned into a moving/billowing cloud of a worm. Pretty crazy but that is what I saw when I took this crap. I was dazed... it didn't initially help me fall asleep. Perhaps I'm allergic to Ambien, I have no idea. I believe I took it with 5 or 10mg of melatonin. Whew... that was a cocktail to go nuts. Stick with Tamazepam (Restoril)... way better"

Sunrise1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 68 year-old male and I've taken this drug for almost 10 years and it has helped me enormously. I have had no side effects yet my doctor now says he wants me to get off it. I asked why and he said Ambien is dangerous. After 10 years now it's dangerous? I now am cutting down to 1/4 of 5mg and it is not working. I asked what options do I have and he said "natural sleep is best" Thanks, doctor."

dondo747 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love Ambien. Love it. However, building up a tolerance sucks, the drug testing sucks, having to have a doctors appointment monthly to get a prescription sucks, and knowing I'm taking something I know I could become dependent on sucks. No groggy mornings, if taken within a half hour of going to bed I can fall asleep easily, and a few funny text conversations to wake up to. I have tried SO many things and this is so far the only one that has even helped."

MelseyKiller (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking this medication as prescibe by my doctor it has not helped at all in fact the third time taking it I did not feel sleepy nor did I fall asleep"

Nochange May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it two years it has been wonderful for me the only downside is the tolerence I've buliding up my doctor put me on Lunesta last night and I do not like it it did not work it makes me feel like garbage all day I want is to go back to my Ambien already!"

Anonymous35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Ambien 15 years ago I stopped it while I was pregnant with my first child and then ended up going back on it from lack of sleep for so long. I took it again first time 6 1/2 years before becoming pregnant again and then had to stop it. When my youngest son was a year and a half old I started taking it again because I could not sleep longer than an hour. When I first started taking Ambien I think the chemical compound was a different because back then I would eat in my sleep, cook meals in my sleep, but then after going off of it and going back on it I believe the formulation changed. I have not had any of those issues for over 13 years. Taking it on empty stomach makes a huge difference."

Collinevin1980 (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had chronic insomnia most of my life, I took ambien 10mgs for 6 yrs it helped me so much to lead productive life, sleeping at night waking up in the morning with really no bad side effects, I don't live in the US anymore and ambien isn't available I think due the bad rap it gets by complainer"s, while people like myself who have benefitted from it aren't as likely to review a drug, they haven't had a problem with - just human nature. I've tried a whole host of anti-depresents & other sedatives 7-8 none are as effective and have more side effects than ambien"

AnthonyEU (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 10mg ambien, 3mg klonipin and 100mg of Seroquel. Sleep pretty good most of the time. A bit groggy in the morning but nothing a shot of coffee won't fix"

qwewqe April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just tried ambien last night for the first time since not getting any more than 2-3 hrs of sleep and I didn't take the recommended amount of 5mg I took 10mg n it worked perfect for me no side affects of being drowsy in the morning nothing slept right through the night and woke up like a new refreshed woman."

Katilya April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" I hate the doctors that prescribe ambien to patients like me. They are putting patent's life in danger. I know some people taking this pill during the day too and they take way too much . It is adicctive"

Mavina (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given ambien 5mg tablets while I was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery and ambien actually kept me wide awake!"

Lucia1999 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find ambien to take the edge off at night but not make me sleep. I'm also on seroquel for bipolar and that helps much better for sleep. I feel like I took a benadryl when I took ambien."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After years of being a zombie I found a psychiatrist who prescribed it for me and I changed into a functioning person. I've never had a bad experience. I only take 5 mg a night, 10 if I wake up in the middle of the night. I never take more and about half the time 5 mg is enough."

Lynda G (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 23 got I just got presrecribed 10 mg ambien for sleep . is was probably the best sleeping thing for meds I've had for insomnia. I've never had any weird experience or others problems either. Even though I've been on it for 6 months now."

Someone864 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 5mg ambien after 3 months of not getting more than 2-3 hours of sleep in each 24 hour period. I had tried benadryl, hydroxyzine, and Valium previously, all of which kept me wide awake. I took the 5mg right before bed, as instructed, and laid there awake all night. The next night I decided to try 1 1/2 (7.5 mg) as I keep reading horror stories about 10mg. I took it, waited about 10 minutes, then went to bed. It took me over an hour to fall asleep, but once I did, I'm thrilled to say I slept all night! Unfortunately even after a full night of sleep it was very hard to wake up. I'd wake up then doze back off. That happened several times for about an hour. Once I was able to wake up enough to get up, I was fine"

Djd79nc (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with ambien was not very good. Ambien is a pretty terrible sleep aid and I'm sure you'd be better with little sleep and tired, Than waking up feeling like crap all day and tired. It makes me feel pretty rubbish all day and it only last like 4 hours, So I'll wake up 3 or 4 hours later super tired and can't go back to sleep. Your body Builds tolerance to this drug very fast, After the 4th or 5th time of using it, it's effects are very very minimal. Also if you suffer from acid reflex, this drug will make it 10 times worse. If your desperate for sleep, This drug will make you sleep, but with great consequences."

Xavier byrd February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for 5 years. I take one 10 mg pill probably 3 times a month. I get 5 hours of sleep. I have never experienced any side affects, I only wish I could get at least 7 hours. My new insurance does not cover it without prior authorization. More paperwork,or phone call for my Doctor."

A new you (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien was very dangerous for me. I was prescribed 10mg for about 5 years. One night I took 1 right before bed like I always had and woke up the next morning with vomit all over my house and an empty pill bottle on my night stand. I took a heap 10mg of Ambien and had zero memory of doing this. It absolutely terrified me. I now take 100mg of doxepin and sleep through the night without a hangover in the morning. Use Ambien with caution. If you have any worries please try to find something else."

LeaJJ January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It helped me sleep, but only 4 hrs with 10 mg dosage"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was having problem sleeping due to Lyrica withdrawal, Took Zolpidem for only 5 days, the first 9 days after going off sleep ok, by day 10 got 4 hrs, day 11 3 hrs, day 12 1 1/2 hrs, OMG, skin burning & tingling can't take this. How much longer must I go through this "Hell", can't stop crying & can't enjoy Christmas. "

Neicey5 December 21, 2016