User Reviews for Ambien (Page 2)

Ambien Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"I'm a 68 year-old male and I've taken this drug for almost 10 years and it has helped me enormously. I have had no side effects yet my doctor now says he wants me to get off it. I asked why and he said Ambien is dangerous. After 10 years now it's dangerous? I now am cutting down to 1/4 of 5mg and it is not working. I asked what options do I have and he said "natural sleep is best" Thanks, doctor."

dondo747 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

"I absolutely love Ambien. Love it. However, building up a tolerance sucks, the drug testing sucks, having to have a doctors appointment monthly to get a prescription sucks, and knowing I'm taking something I know I could become dependent on sucks. No groggy mornings, if taken within a half hour of going to bed I can fall asleep easily, and a few funny text conversations to wake up to. I have tried SO many things and this is so far the only one that has even helped."

MelseyKiller (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

"I'm taking this medication as prescibe by my doctor it has not helped at all in fact the third time taking it I did not feel sleepy nor did I fall asleep"

Nochange May 3, 2017

"I've been on it two years it has been wonderful for me the only downside is the tolerence I've buliding up my doctor put me on Lunesta last night and I do not like it it did not work it makes me feel like garbage all day I want is to go back to my Ambien already!"

Anonymous35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

"I began taking Ambien 15 years ago I stopped it while I was pregnant with my first child and then ended up going back on it from lack of sleep for so long. I took it again first time 6 1/2 years before becoming pregnant again and then had to stop it. When my youngest son was a year and a half old I started taking it again because I could not sleep longer than an hour. When I first started taking Ambien I think the chemical compound was a different because back then I would eat in my sleep, cook meals in my sleep, but then after going off of it and going back on it I believe the formulation changed. I have not had any of those issues for over 13 years. Taking it on empty stomach makes a huge difference."

Collinevin1980 (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

"I've had chronic insomnia most of my life, I took ambien 10mgs for 6 yrs it helped me so much to lead productive life, sleeping at night waking up in the morning with really no bad side effects, I don't live in the US anymore and ambien isn't available I think due the bad rap it gets by complainer"s, while people like myself who have benefitted from it aren't as likely to review a drug, they haven't had a problem with - just human nature. I've tried a whole host of anti-depresents & other sedatives 7-8 none are as effective and have more side effects than ambien"

AnthonyEU (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2017

"I take 10mg ambien, 3mg klonipin and 100mg of Seroquel. Sleep pretty good most of the time. A bit groggy in the morning but nothing a shot of coffee won't fix"

qwewqe April 11, 2017

"I just tried ambien last night for the first time since not getting any more than 2-3 hrs of sleep and I didn't take the recommended amount of 5mg I took 10mg n it worked perfect for me no side affects of being drowsy in the morning nothing slept right through the night and woke up like a new refreshed woman."

Katilya April 6, 2017

" I hate the doctors that prescribe ambien to patients like me. They are putting patent's life in danger. I know some people taking this pill during the day too and they take way too much . It is adicctive"

Mavina (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

"I was given ambien 5mg tablets while I was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery and ambien actually kept me wide awake!"

Lucia1999 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

"I find ambien to take the edge off at night but not make me sleep. I'm also on seroquel for bipolar and that helps much better for sleep. I feel like I took a benadryl when I took ambien."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

"After years of being a zombie I found a psychiatrist who prescribed it for me and I changed into a functioning person. I've never had a bad experience. I only take 5 mg a night, 10 if I wake up in the middle of the night. I never take more and about half the time 5 mg is enough."

Lynda G (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

"I'm 23 got I just got presrecribed 10 mg ambien for sleep . is was probably the best sleeping thing for meds I've had for insomnia. I've never had any weird experience or others problems either. Even though I've been on it for 6 months now."

Someone864 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2017

"I was prescribed 5mg ambien after 3 months of not getting more than 2-3 hours of sleep in each 24 hour period. I had tried benadryl, hydroxyzine, and Valium previously, all of which kept me wide awake. I took the 5mg right before bed, as instructed, and laid there awake all night. The next night I decided to try 1 1/2 (7.5 mg) as I keep reading horror stories about 10mg. I took it, waited about 10 minutes, then went to bed. It took me over an hour to fall asleep, but once I did, I'm thrilled to say I slept all night! Unfortunately even after a full night of sleep it was very hard to wake up. I'd wake up then doze back off. That happened several times for about an hour. Once I was able to wake up enough to get up, I was fine"

Djd79nc (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

"My experience with ambien was not very good. Ambien is a pretty terrible sleep aid and I'm sure you'd be better with little sleep and tired, Than waking up feeling like crap all day and tired. It makes me feel pretty rubbish all day and it only last like 4 hours, So I'll wake up 3 or 4 hours later super tired and can't go back to sleep. Your body Builds tolerance to this drug very fast, After the 4th or 5th time of using it, it's effects are very very minimal. Also if you suffer from acid reflex, this drug will make it 10 times worse. If your desperate for sleep, This drug will make you sleep, but with great consequences."

Xavier byrd February 20, 2017

"I have been on this medication for 5 years. I take one 10 mg pill probably 3 times a month. I get 5 hours of sleep. I have never experienced any side affects, I only wish I could get at least 7 hours. My new insurance does not cover it without prior authorization. More paperwork,or phone call for my Doctor."

A new you (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2017

"Ambien was very dangerous for me. I was prescribed 10mg for about 5 years. One night I took 1 right before bed like I always had and woke up the next morning with vomit all over my house and an empty pill bottle on my night stand. I took a heap 10mg of Ambien and had zero memory of doing this. It absolutely terrified me. I now take 100mg of doxepin and sleep through the night without a hangover in the morning. Use Ambien with caution. If you have any worries please try to find something else."

LeaJJ January 26, 2017

"It helped me sleep, but only 4 hrs with 10 mg dosage"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

"Was having problem sleeping due to Lyrica withdrawal, Took Zolpidem for only 5 days, the first 9 days after going off sleep ok, by day 10 got 4 hrs, day 11 3 hrs, day 12 1 1/2 hrs, OMG, skin burning & tingling can't take this. How much longer must I go through this "Hell", can't stop crying & can't enjoy Christmas. "

Neicey5 December 21, 2016

"On the business class sleeper seat plane to NY, the last conscious thing I remember after taking Ambien was my head resting on the pillow about an hour after the meal service and then waking up in bed in the apartment. How did I collect my coat and things, aware to pack the airline amenity kit and water bottle into the knapsack that was in the overhead bin, deplane and walk far to passport control, use the passport kiosk that requires me to type in on the touchscreen, Thailand, and collect the customs print out and then go to a carousel and collect my bag among all the other bags revolving around, hand my printout to the customs agent and find where to catch the Newark airport bus in the winter cold. How long did I wait for the bus? Did I open my suitcase inside the terminal to take out my sweater, scarf, and wool knit hat to wear --all which were packed in the suitcase. Upon waking up in the apartment the sweater was on the couch, the scarf on a chair, and the knit hat in my knapsack. Once on the bus I had to have reached in my pocket for my wallet that had my return bus ticket. The ticket wasn't in my wallet in the apartment. Once off the bus at Port Authority, how did I hail a taxi, put the stuff in the trunk and tell him where to go? My credit card statement indicates I swiped the card to pay for the taxi home. Once outside my apartment, I had to reach into my knapsack for my keys attached to a clip and open the door. The keys were found on the coffee table when woke up in bed. My coat and jacket were on the bathroom floor indicating that once inside the apartment I rushed to the bathroom. I obviously opened my suitcase as it was found wide open and a of box anticongestion and a bottle of allergy pills that I remember packing in the suitcase in Bangkok were now found on the kitchen counter. From remembering my head on the airplane pillow to waking up in my bed, everything is a blank, hours blank."

Don't remember how I got home (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2016

"I, a 21 yeard old male, was prescribed 10 mg ambien a few weeks ago for insomnia. I've dealt with insomnia for several years, I'd lie in bed with my eyes closed for 10 hours and would often not sleep for a second. Or if I did, it was for an hour or 2 and I rarely felt rested. Beforehand, I tried many sleeping aids (Melatonin, Belsomra, Trazadone) and nothing worked. Within 20 minutes of taking ambien for the first time I was out like a light and slept 8+ hours for the first time in years. However, I've been more recently experiencing the problem of not only waking up feeling groggy, but feeling that throughout the day. Even 8+ hours and a significant amount of caffeine later, I feel far less attentive than I was when I was sleep deprived."

SleepelessEverywhere (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2016

"I was prescribed Ambien for insomnia. It later became a problem as I continued to build a tolerance for it. I am no longer taking and have been off the medicine this week. Following are reasons that I stopped taking it. I lost my job, got arrested, picked up a felony charge for prescription fraud, among other consequences due to my dependency on the drug. In short, DO NOT TAKE ANY FORM of Z -PILLS. I lost a very good job with the government and can no longer return to the job due to Ambien and Lunesta. I have a master's degree and still cannot find work due to the felony charge. Please take it from me, this drug will progressively ruin your life. It should be taken off of the market."

Chuckie 007 December 9, 2016

"I was a body builder and personal trainer active in my career until I got a kidney removed due to a tumor and was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 65. My GP did not wanted to give Ambien, instead he prescribed some other medication for psychotic people and I stopped it. Another doctor gave the Ambien, which I have been taking, 5mg. However, lately is giving me headaches, I wake up a few times at night and can't go back to sleep. Feel tired and disconnected. I need to stop and I am afraid of the process."

N1949 November 29, 2016

"I was prescribed Ambien, then later Ambien CR, for several years for insomnia. Wow! Just like I'd heard about -- take the pill and 20 minutes later I was out. Didn't really experience "hangover" the next day, but then I allowed myself 7 +/- hours of sleep. Then, it happened: woke up one morning and my kitchen was somewhat of a mess but I didn't remember being up or making tuna salad on toast. That happened a few more times before I weaned myself off Ambien. Haven't had a good night's sleep since. I've been prescribed a few different sleep meds but haven't had any success. Tried OTC diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Motrin PM) with Melatonin and began not remembering simple words, appointments, etc."

YouSee (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

"After getting it and reading on the Internet about it I was worried about taking it, but you know, Internet tends to dramatize thing. Been taking it for years now and still works amazingly, knocks me out in 20 minutes reliably, and keeps me down a good 8 hours. I've never felt hangover effects from it whatsoever. In fact its quite the opposite; because when you're not used to getting a decent night of rest, when you do, you're damn right you'll feel great. Everyone is different and it's compatability with you simply has to be tested. All the Internet horror stories on this drug are inapplicable for my case. My only problem is, doctors are very stingy with dealing adequate amounts due to dependancies. Yes I'm addicted, I'm addicted to sleep."

The Tim That Hasn't Reviewed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2016