User Reviews for Ambien (Page 2)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"It helped me sleep, but only 4 hrs with 10 mg dosage"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was having problem sleeping due to Lyrica withdrawal, Took Zolpidem for only 5 days, the first 9 days after going off sleep ok, by day 10 got 4 hrs, day 11 3 hrs, day 12 1 1/2 hrs, OMG, skin burning & tingling can't take this. How much longer must I go through this "Hell", can't stop crying & can't enjoy Christmas. "

Neicey5 December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On the business class sleeper seat plane to NY, the last conscious thing I remember after taking Ambien was my head resting on the pillow about an hour after the meal service and then waking up in bed in the apartment. How did I collect my coat and things, aware to pack the airline amenity kit and water bottle into the knapsack that was in the overhead bin, deplane and walk far to passport control, use the passport kiosk that requires me to type in on the touchscreen, Thailand, and collect the customs print out and then go to a carousel and collect my bag among all the other bags revolving around, hand my printout to the customs agent and find where to catch the Newark airport bus in the winter cold. How long did I wait for the bus? Did I open my suitcase inside the terminal to take out my sweater, scarf, and wool knit hat to wear --all which were packed in the suitcase. Upon waking up in the apartment the sweater was on the couch, the scarf on a chair, and the knit hat in my knapsack. Once on the bus I had to have reached in my pocket for my wallet that had my return bus ticket. The ticket wasn't in my wallet in the apartment. Once off the bus at Port Authority, how did I hail a taxi, put the stuff in the trunk and tell him where to go? My credit card statement indicates I swiped the card to pay for the taxi home. Once outside my apartment, I had to reach into my knapsack for my keys attached to a clip and open the door. The keys were found on the coffee table when woke up in bed. My coat and jacket were on the bathroom floor indicating that once inside the apartment I rushed to the bathroom. I obviously opened my suitcase as it was found wide open and a of box anticongestion and a bottle of allergy pills that I remember packing in the suitcase in Bangkok were now found on the kitchen counter. From remembering my head on the airplane pillow to waking up in my bed, everything is a blank, hours blank."

Don't remember how I got home (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I, a 21 yeard old male, was prescribed 10 mg ambien a few weeks ago for insomnia. I've dealt with insomnia for several years, I'd lie in bed with my eyes closed for 10 hours and would often not sleep for a second. Or if I did, it was for an hour or 2 and I rarely felt rested. Beforehand, I tried many sleeping aids (Melatonin, Belsomra, Trazadone) and nothing worked. Within 20 minutes of taking ambien for the first time I was out like a light and slept 8+ hours for the first time in years. However, I've been more recently experiencing the problem of not only waking up feeling groggy, but feeling that throughout the day. Even 8+ hours and a significant amount of caffeine later, I feel far less attentive than I was when I was sleep deprived."

SleepelessEverywhere (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Ambien for insomnia. It later became a problem as I continued to build a tolerance for it. I am no longer taking and have been off the medicine this week. Following are reasons that I stopped taking it. I lost my job, got arrested, picked up a felony charge for prescription fraud, among other consequences due to my dependency on the drug. In short, DO NOT TAKE ANY FORM of Z -PILLS. I lost a very good job with the government and can no longer return to the job due to Ambien and Lunesta. I have a master's degree and still cannot find work due to the felony charge. Please take it from me, this drug will progressively ruin your life. It should be taken off of the market."

Chuckie 007 December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was a body builder and personal trainer active in my career until I got a kidney removed due to a tumor and was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 65. My GP did not wanted to give Ambien, instead he prescribed some other medication for psychotic people and I stopped it. Another doctor gave the Ambien, which I have been taking, 5mg. However, lately is giving me headaches, I wake up a few times at night and can't go back to sleep. Feel tired and disconnected. I need to stop and I am afraid of the process."

N1949 November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Ambien, then later Ambien CR, for several years for insomnia. Wow! Just like I'd heard about -- take the pill and 20 minutes later I was out. Didn't really experience "hangover" the next day, but then I allowed myself 7 +/- hours of sleep. Then, it happened: woke up one morning and my kitchen was somewhat of a mess but I didn't remember being up or making tuna salad on toast. That happened a few more times before I weaned myself off Ambien. Haven't had a good night's sleep since. I've been prescribed a few different sleep meds but haven't had any success. Tried OTC diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Motrin PM) with Melatonin and began not remembering simple words, appointments, etc."

YouSee (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After getting it and reading on the Internet about it I was worried about taking it, but you know, Internet tends to dramatize thing. Been taking it for years now and still works amazingly, knocks me out in 20 minutes reliably, and keeps me down a good 8 hours. I've never felt hangover effects from it whatsoever. In fact its quite the opposite; because when you're not used to getting a decent night of rest, when you do, you're damn right you'll feel great. Everyone is different and it's compatability with you simply has to be tested. All the Internet horror stories on this drug are inapplicable for my case. My only problem is, doctors are very stingy with dealing adequate amounts due to dependancies. Yes I'm addicted, I'm addicted to sleep."

The Tim That Hasn't Reviewed (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I overdosed on Ambien. Don't remember much of what happened but i wrecked my car, got pulled over. I do remember waking up at 10pm thinking it was 10am and I was late for school thats why I drove. I didnt go to the hospital. It's weird that I dont remember much like who I talked to or what I said. Traumatizing."

kgt1991 (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe insomnia. My therapist prescribed me 10 mg Ambien as a short term solution. I was so amazed and excited to SLEEP! Within 20 minutes, I just fell asleep and it was so wonderful. She had warned me of sleepwalking. But I told her "that was impossible because I had never done that in my 65 years of live"! In my 5th week of taking Ambient, I woke up with the taste of blood in my mouth, a loose tooth, a skinned knee, and bruised shoulder. Yes, I had walked in my sleep, sat in a chair and fell out of it face first. Luckily, one of my granddaughter's was spending the night and witnessed the incident. So, if you are naive like me and think it cannot happen to you, please think about it. Good luck "

Donnakake (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 19 year old female and I suffer from insomnia. I talked to my doctor about my horrid sleeping habits. I have a rough time falling asleep and when I do I only get about an hour of sleep. His first thought was to prescribe a 5mg dose of ambien. I was shocked as my knowledge of the drug was that it had a heavy impact and could cause you to not remember the night you took it. When I got home that night I got ready for bed, took the dose, and laid down. After an hour or so it finally kicked in but all it did was give me a sense of not being in the correct mindset. Just being a bit off. It didn't help me fall asleep whatsoever. In fact it caused me to remain alert and awake. My results were the complete opposite of its intended use."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took generic ambien (not the CR) for just two consecutive nights. While it does work for putting me to sleep and keeping me asleep, I have to say I would not recommend this to people. Just take benadryl or Advil PM. The reason I say this is because it affected (and days later is still affecting) my memory. I am told by a few friends and co-workers of things I did or said (during the daylight hours, work hours) and I honestly don't remember any of it! So for me... I won't take this again just because it scares me. I'm sharp as a tack, I remember and observe everything so this really shocked me."

alohalady (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried the brand name a while back and had FULL SCALE hallucinations and memory loss. Being a nurse, I believed there was no difference between generic and brand, but after 15 years of chronic TERRIBLE insomnia, I gave the generic a try. While I didn't have the horrid side effects, 10mg will put me to sleep well, but not stay asleep. The controlled release helps me stay asleep, but it takes hours to fall asleep. My doc prescribed 5mg of the immediate and 6.25 controlled, and as long as I don't use it every day (taking a day off here and there which kills me) it works for about 4-5 hours of sleep, which depending on how desperate you are is plenty. Plus the price can't be beat."

JeccaLeigh (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"made me crazy and stoned and I end up taking them in a few nights and I have no idea, call people randomly do things and have no memory of it. The next day I am very I'll unsurprisingly. Better off with insomnia."

Ryanl September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Useless. I am a 30 yr old owner, and executive chef of 2 restaurants. Diagnosed and medicated. Took it last night at 10 and thought i took it wrong seeing as how i was up at 4am still. Round 2 tonight 10 pm, aaaand now its 12:41am. Not much more to look at on my ceiling. I will be requesting a switch tomorrow."

Isho4u (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh man, this stuff works. I was on 10mg for about 5 years! My new doctor had me stop cold turkey about 3 years ago. I grew a tolerance to it and I was addicted to it. My old doctor prescribed it, after my mom died, when I was 18. I puked after taking my first dose. It made me so dizzy, it was weird. After that first time, it never happened again. The only side effect was that I'd wake up and eat without knowing it. I recall my sister saying that I had gotten up and cooked a hamburger, ate it, and went back to bed without saying a word to her. It seems to be a common side effect, though. It was great help, but I'm so glad to be off of it for good. I take Diphenhydramine to sleep when I need to."

Komrade (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien is a wonderful sleep aid. For people who have trouble staying asleep, this is the medication for you. I've been taking it for at least 10 years and I've not built up a tolerance to it yet. Don't get out of bed after taking it as it does pose a risk of falling because it works very quickly and will make you very drowsy and perhaps dizzy. It helps me sleep for 7-8 hours without any hangover effect. Unfortunately my "nanny" prescription insurance has just informed me that it will not pay for my opioid pain medication and ambien together so I have to choose which medication I want the insurance to pay for. I'll just pay the $54 for it myself as the 2 alternative drugs my doctor suggested have quite scary user reviews."

gigijloo September 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on ambient for a year. When I first started taking it , it work great, only thing I would wake up and eat during the night and not know it, the next morning I would find the evidence. The past week I have got to where it's not working like now it's 4:30 am and I'm not asleep yet!! I'm on 5m so wondering if maybe I should ask doc to raise it to 10. I'm just afraid if I go up 5 more if it will give me any weird side effects. But I can't keep doing this, I need sleep!"

Misty2ell (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hands down the very best way to end the day. Not only is it the only sleeping pill that worked for me of the dozens of OTC and prescribed sleep aids, it felt really good. No matter how bad my day was, 20 minutes after I took the ambien I'd always have a smile and laugh my ass off to Saturday Night Live episodes on Hulu before getting the best and consistent sleep ever. Sure, my first couple times I had a hangover effect, but the next year I was on ambien I ALWAYS felt refreshed the next morning."

MeatRocket (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Ambien for many years. The first year, I was prescribed 10 mg nightly. I had experienced a "deep sleep" and through the entire night. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel exhausted the next day. Then my dosage was changed to 5 mg, which was tough! My tolerance to the higher dose made it not work. My Dr. gave me something different to substitute while my body adjusted. It's not been 2 years, that I've been taking the 5 mg. I also take Adderall XR @ 20 mg daily and 20 mg of Prozac. During the last 6 months, I've had difficulty with memory. Being able to recall things I read, appointment times, things people had said to me. I am 52 years old, and I understand that comes with age. But has anyone had similar problems?"

Teresa Page August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken 2 1/2 and I'm wide awake"

Erinkaye August 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"People, be careful with Ambien. I was put on Ambien 10 mg back in late 2014, I recently stopped the medication told turkey. It's been a week since I quit, I have been having severe withdrawal. Nightmares, night sweats, and frequent urination are the most occurring symptoms I have been dealing with. Doctors seldom tell patients about drug withdrawals, which is why I am suffering from these problems. So, be careful before you take a new prescribed medication."

Anonymous July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Without Ambien I'm up literally all night. But if you don't take it on am empty stomach it doesn't work at all. I take it at midnight and can't eat after 5 or 6PM or else it won't work. If you try and stay up after it starts to work you may do things you wouldn't normally do - like shop online, which I've done and many people I know. Luckily everything I've bought is stuff I've wanted, but still..."

Beth A (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"ambien was the only sleeping pill that worked for me i was on 10 mg and went to the ambien cr on 12.5 mg and back to 10 mg taking it on an empty stomach made me binge, forgetful, and do questionable/irresponsible things i wouldn't normally do it also sometimes made me drowsy in the morning it works quickly unlike certain sleeping meds that you have to take 3 hours with food before bed i had withdrawals on ambien as well a lot of negatives for me but i still liked it best"

Former Ambien Taker (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A real savior. Finally getting some sleep. Went off for a month to see if I could sleep without it. The answer was no but no other withdrawal symptoms. Be sure to give yourself 8 hours and nix the alcohol."

Sny222 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2016