User Reviews for Ambien (Page 6)

Learn more about Ambien.

Ambien Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ambien to treat Insomnia

"Works splendidly when first prescribed but over time loses it's effectiveness and one develops a tolerance to it's effectiveness. Due to it's short half-life in the body, it peters out quite quickly ( /- 2 hours). Would not recommend long-term treatment with this medicine (>6 months)."

Quaalude (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Extremely effective until I developed a tolerance. Unfortunately, it was accompanied by "sleep-shopping" on Ebay."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used this medicine off and on for 7 years. All of you who have issues with doing things that you don't remember need to be sure that you are taking it properly. I have been there and my 24 year old daughter still laughs at the things I have no memory of.. and I own several things I bought at 2 am. Finally two years ago I found a physician who took the time to explain how this medicine works and it changed everything. You must be lying in bed, "ready to go to sleep", with no lights on at all. Ambien shuts down part of your brain and if you are not waiting to fall asleep lying in bed then after you take it the chemical reaction that allows you to fall asleep so easily also keeps you from remembering things you do. Take it properly."

Rhonda YC (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien works. Not because it's a sleep aid but because it's a HYPNOTIC. Which means if you don't want amnesia then get yourself straight to bed after taking it. It kicks in in 5-10 mins and may or may not keep you asleep all night. But those of you complaining of eating, etc and having no memory of what you did is very simple: taking a HYPNOTIC while you're still up and showering or whatever is going to make you do stupid things you won't remember. Just take it AFTER you lay down, turn off your phone, and you'll be fine."

Anonymous777333 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've used Ambien for almost two years for my insomnia. It works very effectively."

I am 15 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2014

"Stayed up all night "

Militarywife12 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes, you will sleep. But you will also say and do some really weird things."

Babyy (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 28, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been known to fix a meal, send texts and emails while still asleep. I have also had phone conversations and not remembered having them on waking.,"

K CELT (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Some nights after taking the zolpidem I go right to sleep, and have sound, restful sleep for about 2-4hrs. Twice during my current bout of insomnia I have slept a full 10hrs after taking the zolpidem. I have had some positive experience, and some negative. However, I have bouts of insomnia once or twice a year; the past Zolpidem is worked really well, within few nights. I am not on week four of the insomnia, and three on the Zolpidem. I am working closely with my doctor."

LadyLayne (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I got prescribed Ambien I started with 5mg and it worked but I only slept for 4 hrs. So the following night I took 10mg and I was asleep in no time and got a full 9hrs of sleep. Best night ever in years. I woke up feeling refreshed. Minor headache but I don't know if it was due to the Ambien. 1 Tylenol pill took it away so no biggie. This is the only sleep pill that has helped me. I tried Restroil and Seroquel and got no sleep only bad side effects. I love Ambien."

HKGirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It helped me sleep, but I did the most bizarre things while I should have been sleeping and had no memory of them the next day. I initiated sex with my husband twice and had no memory of doing so, called and order things that I had no use for to some shopping networks and even gave out my credit card numbers to open an account. This stuff scares me and I quit taking it. Worried what I could do next!"

Bubsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First 2 weeks it kept me asleep. 3rd week on I wake up with headaches and don't go back to sleep. Its 2 am and I'm wide awake."

cannot sleep September 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It helped me a lot. One pill and I sleep like a baby."

John Marsh (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have GAD (generalized anxiety), post traumatic stress disorder and Bipolar. I've been on Seroquel for three years. I kept having to up it to help me sleep, as well as keeping away delusions and such. I was at the point where it wouldn't help me sleep at all. I'd take it at 10 and go to bed when the sun was coming up. I tried Ambien 10mg last night for the first time. I fell asleep in one hour. I was out! I slept a good 10 hours. Amen for Ambien."

Morgan Danielle. June 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 19 and suffer from bad insomnia. I've tried Benadryl, Unisom, even a different prescription sleeping pill, Restoril (temazepam). These all either didn't work or left me extremely groggy in the morning and throughout the day. Anyway, I was scheduled to study abroad and my worst fear the entire trip was not sleeping in a foreign atmosphere. My Dr. prescribed me a few weeks worth of Ambien 10 MG. I can't tell you how great this medication was. It drifted me off to a gentle, deep sleep and I stayed asleep for at least 7 hours. I woke up happy and refreshed In the morning; even energized! I took the high dose and did not experience any side effects or hallucinations. I was able to enjoy my trip."

Great, mild sleeping pill (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think it's great. I've been doing it for about 11 years, and it's one of the only medicine for insomnia that work for me."

Brittanyz123 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It works great putting me to sleep but it doesn't keep me asleep unfortunately. I only tend to get 2 hours of sleep or so."

FentanylBliss (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was never able to sleep through the night until my doctor prescribed Ambien."

Chelseymegan March 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can take 2 Ambien and be wide awake. I tried melatonin, ZZZ Quil, Unisom.. sometimes take my Valium at bedtime. My sleep cycle got messed up and I'm trying desperately to get it back."

naybay91 March 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works fine but the rebound insomnia can be awful. Used sparingly it can be a useful medicine. Once again, watch for the rebound insomnia."

epidoctor (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had horrible insomnia since I was a child. Diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few years ago. Ambien is not the holy grail. You build up a tolerance over the years but 12.5 is as high as most doctors will go ) from 10, 8 years ago). Pluses for Ambien - it will put you to sleep; no half-life so no grogginess in the morning. Minuses- it will put you to sleep but generally not keep you asleep. Thus the waking up wide awake at 3 a.m. There is now intermezzo - and sublingual 3.5 dose of Ambien meant for this problem - works for me 50% of the time- otherwise I just stay up. Another minus - if you take Ambien on a full stomach IT WILL NOT WORK. I generally eat before 5 and allow 5 hours before I take it. But in all - a savior!"

insomiac March 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien has been a huge help to me. I have horrible hot flashes whenever I try to fall asleep and end up awake all night. When I take half an Ambien I am able to fall asleep and I do not feel tired or out of it the next day. I am so grateful for this medication. It's helped the quality of my life substantially. I've never experienced the side effects others mention, I simply fall asleep."

DebbieGrateful (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find plates/bowls with food on them in the night."

April angel (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great. Just take them 5 mins before bed."

diva0226 February 17, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Ambien on and off for 8 years for severe insomnia, mostly related to anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Over time my body has built up a dependence and a tolerance. I will lay awake till 5 am if I don't take it miserable and exhausted for days. The generic doesn't seen to work as well and since I have been on it so long I usually have to take 20mg to get a full nights sleep, but with certain generics I still wake up at 3am and can't go back to bed. It has been a God send over the years as I tried everything else. I was treated for depression but those medications made it harder to sleep. At some point I would like to stop being dependent on the medicine but every time I try to quit I go through weeks of with no sleep."

Bad sleeper February 4, 2014