User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Benahist-10, Benahist-50, Benoject-50, Buckley's Bedtime, Bydramine, Calm-Aid, Complete Allergy Relief, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, ConRx Allergy, Dicopanol, Diphedryl, Diphen, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, Diphenadryl, Diphendryl, Diphenhist, Diphenmax, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Diphenyl, Diphenylin, Dormin, DPH, Dytan, Dytuss, Genahist, Help I Can't Sleep, Histaprin, Hydramine, Hydramine Compound, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Hyrexin, Miles Nervine, Nervine, Nightime Sleepaid, Nu-Med, Nytol, Nytol Caplet, Nytol QuickCaps, Pardryl, PediaCare Children's Allergy, Pharbedryl, Q-Dryl, Q-Dryl A/F, Quenalin, Scot-Tussin Allergy, Siladryl, Siladryl Allergy, Siladryl DAS, Siladyl SA, Silphen Cough, Simply Sleep, Sleep, Sleep Tab II, Sleep Tabs, Sleep-ettes, Sleep-ettes D, Sleep-Eze-3, Sleepinal, Sleepwell 2-nite, Snooze Fast, Sominex, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Somnicaps, Theraflu Thin Strips Multi Symptom, Total Allergy, Tranquil Nighttime Sleep Aid, Triaminic Thin Strips Allergy, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough & Runny Nose, Trux-adryl, Truxadryl, Tusstat, Twilite, Uni-Tann, Unisom Liquid, Unisom SleepGels, Unisom SleepMelts, Unisom SleepMinis, Valu-Dryl, Vanamine PD, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Z-Sleep, ZzzQuil …show all brand names

Motion Sickness

3.5

2 reviews
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 6.9 180 reviews

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "sominex gave me terrible heart palpitations wont be using them again. They're now in the bin"

suzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I slept like a log last night and always do what I take this particular sleeping aid. But the side-effects is I feel groggy in the morning. I took it whilst on holiday and my friends said I seemed like a different person, not really with it! I question that something so affective and strong hasn’t got its counter negative points! "

Rosebud (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2018

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This stuff doesn't work at all"

Anonymous April 16, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Better known as Benadryl; Every time anyone is puking I can always rely on this to immediately stop it. (Chewable form) My children have struggled with nausea with no help from any medication until this was brought to my attention. This is the absolute only thing I will use for nausea/vomiting."

Michelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2018

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I took one to help with sleep during a stressful project and so did my partner. I had the most horrendous nightmares of people committing suicide. Never again I thought. I mentioned to my partner and he had exactly the same experience. I very rarely if ever have bad dreams. This drug is natural Valerian root which I researched online afterwards and there is a lot of similar experiences reported. But the side effect is not mentioned in the notes with the drug. Its not a great experience. I'd recommend avoiding it completely."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Seemed to work the first day but then with week long use started to make me nauseous and have a very upset stomach. I took it an hour before bed and only made me feel like I was sick with allergies which is odd."

Mandii (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have taken benadryl for interstitial cystitis because of mast cells. Recommended by several urologists. It also works for other allergies like rhinitis or seasonal allergies. My current primary doctor does not like it for seniors but it is the only thing that works for me. I do not take it longterm because the effectiveness wears off but when I need it, and use it intermittently, it works!"

Damita (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "If you have problems with Benadryl, try the dye free one. I'm wildly allergic to FD&C Red #40 and must use dye free. Dye free works well for me."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2018

For Insomnia: "I suffer with frequent insomnia "patches", and didn't want to take a more addictive drug like temazepam, so my dr prescribed diphenhydramine. Works really well, I feel myself getting drowsy within 15 minutes and generally stay asleep all Night! Could do without the oversleeping and drowsy feeling the day after but it could be worse"

AnaRC91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "For the first couple days it worked like a charm, but after a while I guess I grew a tolerance for it? Good if you have occasional sleeplessness. "

andyonanon (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Was told by pediatrician to give to 4 year old for nausea and vomiting for a virus. I tried peptobismal but vomited it back up within 10 minutes. Ondanestron was prescribed to the entire sick family. My son and I tried our odanestron and still felt nauseated. After 4 hours it was clear we needed to try something else. The Benadryl is definitely helping."

Babyslowsky (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I decided to try Zzzquil for my insomnia. I was hoping it would lull me to sleep. Didn’t work for me. All it did was make me feel very relaxed. It was a similar feeling as if you took a mild dose of a benzo. Helped me stay asleep but not fall asleep."

blondieeee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2017

Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I’m a 24 healthy female athlete I never get sick however I today have the flu when I take this med it helps the pain and aches but my eye swells completely shut 30 mins after taking this everytime - the left eye in particular lower lid and my eyes waters and gets pus"

Efnk2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have allergic rhinitis. Was prescribed Zyrtec, Allegra and Flonase and I couldn't get relief. A pharmacist suggested Benadryl and its the only med that works. Took a generic brand and all hell broke loose. Went back to the original and I'm feeling much better."

Big bishop (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2017

For Insomnia: "I suffer with chronic insomnia and I tried several OTC sleep aids and finally came across NYTOL EXTRA STRENGTH CAPLETS. I break it in half and take 1/2 nightly and am asleep within the hour. I will still sometimes get up at night to pee but am able to fall right back asleep. I awake feeling refreshed and not drowsy or anything like the other sleep aids left me. I was concerned about taking them nightly and spoke to my doc who said he would rather I take the NYTOL as opposed to a sleeping pill prescription. He said NYTOL was just Benedryl and wouldn't hurt me. I have been taking NYTOL nightly for almost 2 years now and am so glad to have found it!"

Sunseekersam59 September 24, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "ER gave me 25mg diphenhydramine IV for nausea. The only effect was delirium and a brief medication nap. I felt woozy and poisoned for at least two hours afterwards. It may work for others, but it certainly didn't help me."

Simon Charles (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I took these every night for a week after struggling with insomnia, hate the groggy feeling sleeping tablets give you the next day so thought I'd give these ago. Worked perfectly with no side effects. Went away for the weekend and forgot to take them with me. First night, didn't sleep at all, second night finally drifted off sometime after 7.30am and was woke at 9.45, last night got about an hour to 2 hours. Was absolutely done in, got home and that night took a nytol and slept like a baby. My fear is can I survive without these tablets now. Hopefully they keep working so I don't need too."

Singy (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have used ZzzQuil off and on for a year or so to help me fall asleep. I have noticed that on the nights that I take it (1/2 dose) the next day I experience head shaking tremors that I have to consciously control, especially when I drive. I will no longer take this medication as I am concerned about the side-effect."

lashoani (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I take Methotrexate weekly 25mg and have found that taking Benadryl at dose and 12 and 24hrs after my weekly dose help reduce the nausea"

Anonymous September 2, 2017

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Take it at night if visiting people who own cats or dogs. Only problem is drowsiness if taken when your not going to sleep."

Anonymous August 3, 2017

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Certainly helps me to sleep. But first time I slept for about 12 hours which meant that I slept badly the following night. I now take 3/4 of the tablet for a solid 8 hours. I suggest trying 1/2 or 3/4 your first time The first half hour or so on waking leaves me groggy, then I'm fine. Also seems to help me sleep really well the following night. I use only occasionally."

Motoguzzibob (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2017

For Insomnia: "I take this to help me sleep every now and then, however the last 2 times I've been having weird and slightly creepy visual and auditory hallucinations, it's almost like I'm having an incredibly realistic dream while I'm completely conscious and full functionable! But other than that it knocks me right out"

Bethanyb123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have extreme insomnia and I've taken everything that's is suppose to help you sleep since I was 14yrs old. Please see a professional for your insomnia because OTC sleep aids don't work most of time n you can do damage to ur internal organs by taking more n more. Lunesta BEST EVER!"

AMHNLM July 22, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have a lot of allergies. About a year ago I began taking benadryl at night to help me sleep. It also helped a lot with the allergies. I only take it at night because of the drowsiness. Recently my stomach was upset for a month and I noticed they've begun putting calcium in it! This is so upsetting! Calcium stimulates stomach acid and people with allergies are sensitive to acid. This has been documented in the allergy journal. I would have thought a pharma company would know better than this! I wish the two corp. drugstores in my area had a better selection of drowsy antihistamines. They mostly have only benadryl. CVS has chlorphen, but it has lactose in it. :( For now I'm making do with a Walgreens combo that includes chlorphen."

Julia372 July 21, 2017

For Insomnia: "It is not a true sleep drug like prescription z drugs or benzodiazapines. It can cause tiredness and thus help initiate sleep, but it's not very powerful in this regard. The effect is decent in those who have not used it much. Tolerance builds quickly. If you have not used it, it may work well, but after a few nights it will likely lose most effect."

Steve Packard (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017