User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Benahist-10, Benahist-50, Benoject-50, Buckley's Bedtime, Bydramine, Calm-Aid, Complete Allergy Relief, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, ConRx Allergy, Dicopanol, Diphedryl, Diphen, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, Diphenadryl, Diphendryl, Diphenhist, Diphenmax, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Diphenyl, Diphenylin, Dormin, DPH, Dytan, Dytuss, Genahist, Help I Can't Sleep, Histaprin, Hydramine, Hydramine Compound, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Hyrexin, Miles Nervine, Nervine, Nightime Sleepaid, Nu-Med, Nytol, Nytol Caplet, Nytol QuickCaps, Pardryl, PediaCare Children's Allergy, Pharbedryl, Q-Dryl, Q-Dryl A/F, Quenalin, Scot-Tussin Allergy, Siladryl, Siladryl Allergy, Siladryl DAS, Siladyl SA, Silphen Cough, Simply Sleep, Sleep, Sleep Tab II, Sleep Tabs, Sleep-ettes, Sleep-ettes D, Sleep-Eze-3, Sleepinal, Sleepwell 2-nite, Snooze Fast, Sominex, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Somnicaps, Theraflu Thin Strips Multi Symptom, Total Allergy, Tranquil Nighttime Sleep Aid, Triaminic Thin Strips Allergy, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough & Runny Nose, Trux-adryl, Truxadryl, Tusstat, Twilite, Uni-Tann, Unisom Liquid, Unisom SleepGels, Unisom SleepMelts, Unisom SleepMinis, Valu-Dryl, Vanamine PD, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Z-Sleep, ZzzQuil …show all brand names

Motion Sickness

5.5

1 review 69 medications
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 7.0 184 reviews

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Cough: "I have had a cough now for about 6 weeks. I tried all types of antihistamines, even prescribed cough syrup and expectorants. The only thing that finally stopped the cough and even at night time was Benadryl. I wish I had known this weeks ago. I can even sleep at night without the night and morning cough. Thank goodness for Benadryl!"

Lori (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I've used this and given it to my children for over 20 years. My teenage son would take 1 before going to bed so he could sleep without allergic reactions. I've used it for unknown allergies like bee stings and sunless tanner. Works great and so does the topical cream. No adverse affects with us."

marlene1020 (taken for 10 years or more) June 14, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Benadryl really helps take the sinus pressure away and I found out recently it even worked best for my migraine. Out of Tylenol and Motrin Benadryl was the only one to knock it out. It does cause me dry mouth and drowsiness. It also helps to calm me when I feel a panic attack or anxiety coming on. I rather take benadryl then psych meds or all kinds of prescription meds anyday . I hope it stays working wonders for me because claratin and flonase did nothing for me and I don't want to have to try anything else."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I imagine that a lot of people reading this will have had a similar experience to me. You might not have slept last night, or the night before - and you're frantically looking for a solution to help you sleep. It's a vicious cycle and it's one of the worst feelings. I personally think that Sominex is worth a shot. I cannot go to sleep without something to help me. I only take half a Sominex tablet about an hour before bed. It's just enough to take the edge off, stop that anxiety cycle and allow me to drift off. You can feel it in the morning. Ever so slightly for the first hour or so. But after a coffee and a shower it's gone. This stuff has allowed me to restore a normal sleep cycle and I can actually function well in life and at work now. Stop panicking and relax - you will sleep again. I hope this is helpful to someone."

mrphla May 31, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Diphenhydramine has saved my life. I have a severe migraine disorder that comes with extreme nausea and sudden vomiting. I now take LIQUID Diphenhydramine, sold as Children's med, for nausea and vomiting. I tried pills and they are not fast acting enough and the dose is too high, so it makes me very sleepy. The smaller liquid dose knocks my nausea out almost immediately and only makes me mildly sleepy. I carry this med on hand at all times and take it as needed when I feel the first sign of nausea. If I feel like a full migraine is coming on, I'll take the complete adult dose. The reduction in nausea, in addition to the powerful sleepiness, can really help me avoid more expensive or risky migraine abortive medications. I've taken this medication for years and the only chronic side effect that I've noticed is dryness/dehydration, but I compensate for that with added water and fish oil. Thank you scientists for diphenhydramine!!"

Migraneur (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "The nurses at my cancer center were I get my chemo treatment they give me Benedryl before my chemo medicine and it works wonders but it puts me to sleep once every week"

mainman63 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "sominex gave me terrible heart palpitations wont be using them again. They're now in the bin"

suzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I slept like a log last night and always do what I take this particular sleeping aid. But the side-effects is I feel groggy in the morning. I took it whilst on holiday and my friends said I seemed like a different person, not really with it! I question that something so affective and strong hasn’t got its counter negative points! "

Rosebud (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2018

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This stuff doesn't work at all"

Anonymous April 16, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Better known as Benadryl; Every time anyone is puking I can always rely on this to immediately stop it. (Chewable form) My children have struggled with nausea with no help from any medication until this was brought to my attention. This is the absolute only thing I will use for nausea/vomiting."

Michelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2018

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I took one to help with sleep during a stressful project and so did my partner. I had the most horrendous nightmares of people committing suicide. Never again I thought. I mentioned to my partner and he had exactly the same experience. I very rarely if ever have bad dreams. This drug is natural Valerian root which I researched online afterwards and there is a lot of similar experiences reported. But the side effect is not mentioned in the notes with the drug. Its not a great experience. I'd recommend avoiding it completely."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Seemed to work the first day but then with week long use started to make me nauseous and have a very upset stomach. I took it an hour before bed and only made me feel like I was sick with allergies which is odd."

Mandii (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have taken benadryl for interstitial cystitis because of mast cells. Recommended by several urologists. It also works for other allergies like rhinitis or seasonal allergies. My current primary doctor does not like it for seniors but it is the only thing that works for me. I do not take it longterm because the effectiveness wears off but when I need it, and use it intermittently, it works!"

Damita (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "If you have problems with Benadryl, try the dye free one. I'm wildly allergic to FD&C Red #40 and must use dye free. Dye free works well for me."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2018

For Insomnia: "I suffer with frequent insomnia "patches", and didn't want to take a more addictive drug like temazepam, so my dr prescribed diphenhydramine. Works really well, I feel myself getting drowsy within 15 minutes and generally stay asleep all Night! Could do without the oversleeping and drowsy feeling the day after but it could be worse"

AnaRC91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "For the first couple days it worked like a charm, but after a while I guess I grew a tolerance for it? Good if you have occasional sleeplessness. "

andyonanon (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Was told by pediatrician to give to 4 year old for nausea and vomiting for a virus. I tried peptobismal but vomited it back up within 10 minutes. Ondanestron was prescribed to the entire sick family. My son and I tried our odanestron and still felt nauseated. After 4 hours it was clear we needed to try something else. The Benadryl is definitely helping."

Babyslowsky (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I decided to try Zzzquil for my insomnia. I was hoping it would lull me to sleep. Didn’t work for me. All it did was make me feel very relaxed. It was a similar feeling as if you took a mild dose of a benzo. Helped me stay asleep but not fall asleep."

blondieeee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2017

Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I’m a 24 healthy female athlete I never get sick however I today have the flu when I take this med it helps the pain and aches but my eye swells completely shut 30 mins after taking this everytime - the left eye in particular lower lid and my eyes waters and gets pus"

Efnk2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have allergic rhinitis. Was prescribed Zyrtec, Allegra and Flonase and I couldn't get relief. A pharmacist suggested Benadryl and its the only med that works. Took a generic brand and all hell broke loose. Went back to the original and I'm feeling much better."

Big bishop (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2017

For Insomnia: "I suffer with chronic insomnia and I tried several OTC sleep aids and finally came across NYTOL EXTRA STRENGTH CAPLETS. I break it in half and take 1/2 nightly and am asleep within the hour. I will still sometimes get up at night to pee but am able to fall right back asleep. I awake feeling refreshed and not drowsy or anything like the other sleep aids left me. I was concerned about taking them nightly and spoke to my doc who said he would rather I take the NYTOL as opposed to a sleeping pill prescription. He said NYTOL was just Benedryl and wouldn't hurt me. I have been taking NYTOL nightly for almost 2 years now and am so glad to have found it!"

Sunseekersam59 September 24, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "ER gave me 25mg diphenhydramine IV for nausea. The only effect was delirium and a brief medication nap. I felt woozy and poisoned for at least two hours afterwards. It may work for others, but it certainly didn't help me."

Simon Charles (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I took these every night for a week after struggling with insomnia, hate the groggy feeling sleeping tablets give you the next day so thought I'd give these ago. Worked perfectly with no side effects. Went away for the weekend and forgot to take them with me. First night, didn't sleep at all, second night finally drifted off sometime after 7.30am and was woke at 9.45, last night got about an hour to 2 hours. Was absolutely done in, got home and that night took a nytol and slept like a baby. My fear is can I survive without these tablets now. Hopefully they keep working so I don't need too."

Singy (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have used ZzzQuil off and on for a year or so to help me fall asleep. I have noticed that on the nights that I take it (1/2 dose) the next day I experience head shaking tremors that I have to consciously control, especially when I drive. I will no longer take this medication as I am concerned about the side-effect."

lashoani (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I take Methotrexate weekly 25mg and have found that taking Benadryl at dose and 12 and 24hrs after my weekly dose help reduce the nausea"

Anonymous September 2, 2017