User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Motion Sickness 1 reviews 114 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 1 reviews 67 medications

5.5
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 140 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Takes 4 hours to work and by then you need another dose. Since they took the other ingredient out, Benadryl and Wal-Dryl no longer work for me. Back to experimenting. No side affects, but not effective either."

Schnozola (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Like others here, I discovered using diphenhydramine for nausea when I had to take pain killers in the hospital. My nurse explained why to me. But since, I have found that if a drug of any kind gives you nausea, or in fact if you have nausea at all, give it a try. Last week, I had a fit of nausea that I can't track to any new Rx, it just seemed to occur on its own. I took the OTC diphenhydramine and it went away. When I went to my doctor complaining of a stomach virus last year, I was prescribed Dexilant. When I had the nausea symptoms recently, I took some of the leftovers. Those didn't do anything, but the diphenhydramine worked."

Maggie Lou (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have never had a problem with going to sleep at night, but I bought some Sominex at the airport the other day in order to help me sleep in a 9 hour flight, and now for the past few days I have had severe insomnia. Nothing else my routine has changed, but now I am up all through the night, tired all day, and still can't sleep at night. I regret making the mistake of using this product."

Tonedeft December 7, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I was diagnosed with Chronic Idopathic Angioedema in 2005. I was 8 months pregnant and woke up one morning and my face was unrecognizable. I called my Dr and they said "oh it's probably just pregnancy swelling". I am an only child so I didn't know about facial swells. My husband came home and said this is NO pregnancy swelling. This was in 2003. It continued weekly so we took pictures and took to my obgyn. He had been practicing medicine for over 30 years and never seen anything like it, I saw numerous Dr.s and was finally diagnosed. I was in the hospital and swelled up I was given over Benadryl. It took my breath away and couldn't speak. Another nurse came in and yelled at the nurse. It has 2 b given slow or its very dangerous"

Chronic Idopathic Angeodiema (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2016

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I have had allergy all my life, pretty severe and I live in allergy heaven in TX. I have tried Everything and for me, benedryl is still the best. I work and it does not effect me, I often take it several times a day."

Brit007 November 25, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I been up since12 pm with hay fever took a benadryl then couldn't stop sneezing due to hay fever nasal passages swollen and can't breathe it doesn't make me sleepy at all and my nose is still stuffy its is now. 3am I'm still up suffering with hay fever and just took another benadryl smh .not working fast enough for me plus I suffer with hay fever really really bad"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "My adult size teenage son was given Benadryl IV, 50mg, *along with Compazine IV as a "headache cocktail" in an emergency room in September of 2016. While there is no way to know for certain if Compazine or Benadryl caused the severe reaction he experienced, he has tolerated oral Benadryl just fine in the past. However, it seems important to share our experience based on the severity of his reaction that day and that multiple reports of similar exist. I do not recommend the "headache cocktail" of Benadryl and Compazine together and hope the number of similar reports are looked into."

Son, age 16 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

For Insomnia: "I work night shift and I use OTC diphenhydramine to get sleep during the day. It works so much better than the Ambien I was on. I don't wake up and sleep eat like I did while on Ambien."

Alois (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "does absolutely nothing. I took 2, then 2 more a few hours later"

Hollibird August 4, 2016

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Awoke with banging headache similar to a whisky hangover!Not good..."

Painfulgirl August 1, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Anyone who takes this in order to take pain medication or if also taking any benzodiazepine, need to use caution since all of the three slow your heart rate and breathing down. Inexperienced users might fall asleep and pass away during fyi."

Big-Bryan July 25, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I would get so worked up with hives before an exam with my gynecologist, that I would have to cancel. One day I took a Benadryl (they usually come in 25 mg or 50 mg tablets, or in packs of two 25 mg tablets)- just 25 mg before my appointment, and it really took the edge off. I had no hives and was much more relaxed. I buy the generic brand at the Dollar Store. This is used in our house for insomnia, allergic reactions, stuffy noses, and what I had previously mentioned. It is not habit-forming, and at such low doses, it's easy to control. Just make sure you stay hydrated! One word of caution to parents with young kids or teens- there have been many cases of suicide attempts and to trip out on."

Nurse-student July 11, 2016

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I tried using it, took two pills (Recommended dosage) and 20 minutes later, I'm tired. And it lasts for all of 30 minutes... can't fal asleep, then I'm wide awake again."

Doesn't matter June 10, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "obscurity.... hard to differentiate between being asleep and being awake...... very uncomfortable..... lost in a fog..... dreams tended to meld into a version of reality but not .... will not ever take unisom again ... not sure if it was a reaction I only"

fuck off June 10, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I had a couple surgeries on my jaw where I could not open it fully for an extended period of time. I am already semi-allergic to pain meds / anesthesia (excessive vomiting and nausea) so I was terrified to take my pain killers after surgery. The nurse / doctor recommended taking a couple Benadryl tablets (25mg) before the pain meds and it worked wonders! The only side effect is drowsiness."

MarD24 June 5, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Good antihistamine. Can cause drowsiness, but it works quickly and shrinks nasal swelling better than some of the other choices. I take a newer antihistamine during the day, but this helps a ton at night when the other wears off and the pollen is still bad."

NCResident (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for : "I've use it a couple of times neither time was it any help at all it's just another plaseabo"

MD78 May 21, 2016

For Insomnia: "I split the tablets into 6 portions and I sleep well but I am very groggy the next morning and find it very hard to wake up. I stay sleepy and tired almost all day long. I feel very uncomfortable driving to work in the morning because I am so groggy."

mirabenira (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I take one before bed which keeps me breathing easily during the night despite my allergies. It also helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. The active ingredient, dyphenhydramine HCL, you will find is the main ingredient in quite a few over the counter sleep medications so that should tell us something. And Benadryl or a generic drugstore brand are cheaper and just as effective. Have been taking this for over 20 years and have no side effects"

Amensus (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Best drug for me to wake up with good sleep and not have a headache. I have used it for 8 years for allergies (itchy eyes, bug reactions) and my house always has it in stock. Love the drug!"

Allergic Headaches/can't sleep (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "Tried this to see if it was any better than doxylamine...It wasn't, in fact I found that it hardly makes me tired at all. I took 50mg, which is supposed to be equivalent to 25mg of doxylamine, but I found that for me the doxylamine was better. I guess everyone is different, though considering that doxylamine has a higher rating, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's better."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

For Insomnia: "take for sleep"

erjaejhrgpifuvngdfbsrt March 19, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Works better then most prescription drugs for allergies and chronic sinusitis ( I've had sinus surgery 4 times due to this), whose side effect are health threatening. I will only take at night due to the drowsiness, this drowsiness can turn into nervousness if I don't fall asleep and keeps me up all night. I do have drowsy days often with naps from sitting and just passing out. I find that if continue taking every night about the fourth I begin to have vivid and horrible nightmares. I also get drenching night sweats - the two are not always together one night I may have one or the other. I take one (1) tablet."

707 NC (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "experienced very low heart rate, palpatations, very disoriented, drowsy after taking only one 25 mg pill"

grandynandy March 2, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have used Sominex for YEARS and I absolutely love it!!! I am NEVER groggy in the morning. It allows me to sleep, then if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, I am able to go back to sleep. I take it generally every night. When I have spoken to various doctors over the years, they have never seemed concerned about my long term use. Nothing else works quite like it, and it definitely improves my quality of life as I simply cannot function if I don't get enough sleep. I usually have to order it online because it is not always stocked at the stores that I go to. Hope this helps. Sweet Dreams. :)"

Stevie Lou February 20, 2016