User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 97 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Motion Sickness 1 reviews 114 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 1 reviews 67 medications

5.5
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 159 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Take it at night if visiting people who own cats or dogs. Only problem is drowsiness if taken when your not going to sleep."

Anonymous August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Certainly helps me to sleep. But first time I slept for about 12 hours which meant that I slept badly the following night. I now take 3/4 of the tablet for a solid 8 hours. I suggest trying 1/2 or 3/4 your first time The first half hour or so on waking leaves me groggy, then I'm fine. Also seems to help me sleep really well the following night. I use only occasionally."

Motoguzzibob (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take this to help me sleep every now and then, however the last 2 times I've been having weird and slightly creepy visual and auditory hallucinations, it's almost like I'm having an incredibly realistic dream while I'm completely conscious and full functionable! But other than that it knocks me right out"

Bethanyb123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have extreme insomnia and I've taken everything that's is suppose to help you sleep since I was 14yrs old. Please see a professional for your insomnia because OTC sleep aids don't work most of time n you can do damage to ur internal organs by taking more n more. Lunesta BEST EVER!"

AMHNLM July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I have a lot of allergies. About a year ago I began taking benadryl at night to help me sleep. It also helped a lot with the allergies. I only take it at night because of the drowsiness. Recently my stomach was upset for a month and I noticed they've begun putting calcium in it! This is so upsetting! Calcium stimulates stomach acid and people with allergies are sensitive to acid. This has been documented in the allergy journal. I would have thought a pharma company would know better than this! I wish the two corp. drugstores in my area had a better selection of drowsy antihistamines. They mostly have only benadryl. CVS has chlorphen, but it has lactose in it. :( For now I'm making do with a Walgreens combo that includes chlorphen."

Julia372 July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "It is not a true sleep drug like prescription z drugs or benzodiazapines. It can cause tiredness and thus help initiate sleep, but it's not very powerful in this regard. The effect is decent in those who have not used it much. Tolerance builds quickly. If you have not used it, it may work well, but after a few nights it will likely lose most effect."

Steve Packard (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Did not seem to work Felt tired the next day"

Ford C Max July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Garbage .. Don't waste your $$$.. Took as directed at 11pm and still tossing and turning at 1:22am.. Buyer beware .. A total waste ."

STILL SLEEPLESS (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "At first I thought I found the perfect drug, I slept finally! But the side effects for are pretty much there. (Dizzy, blurred vision, strange emotions, anxiety) and after every use they are getting stronger."

Quir June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have been using sominex for a long time, I asked GP about it and he would rather I take it than prescribing me sleeping tabs, it works well for me, I take it at least an hour before bed, fall asleep easily and can still wake up for the bathroom and go straight back to sleep, feel fine on waking with no after effects, a great over the counter product."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I usually work a 10 hr shift in the afternoon but my boss has changed my Saturday shift to 5am-1pm. We live on a farm and have 3 outside dogs that like to bark at night. The first morning shift I only got 2 hrs sleep because of our dogs. I purchased Zzquill to get some help falling asleep the night before my morning shifts. I took the recommended dose (2pills) at 8pm. I went to bed at 8:30. I didn't feel any effect from the medication until almost 10:30!! And then I woke up again at 12:30am! I do not recommend Zzquill if you want to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep."

LAG768 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Gave me rapid heart beats !!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I have no rest every time I take benadryl. I feel I have a really bad reaction as I feel restless, my body feels like itchy, nauseous and it makes me feel angry feeling restless it really hurts my stomach am I allergic to it? or it a bad reaction"

Connert2 April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I believe this is the strongest non prescription sleeping aid that you can take. This works really well for me on the few occasions that I need it, within about 10 minutes of taking it, I fall asleep and stay so for longer than I normally would without it. You can even try 1/2 or 1/4 tablet if you don't want to take a whole one. . Definitely recommend this!"

Agg67 March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "There are no side effects. It works well."

Kimgu March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have occasional sleeping problems such linked to stress, such as not being able to fall asleep for around 2 to 5 hours or waking up in the middle of night and not being able to fall asleep afterwards. Someone recommended me to try Nustasium (diphenhydramine). It kicked in after 30 minutes to 1 hour I took it and it helped me sleep without waking up till morning for as many as 8-9 hours. However I felt dizzy and sleepy in the mornings. And in cases when I slept more than 8 hours like at the weekend I felt very weak and dizzy the whole day. Might be good for occasional use when I know I need long hours of sleep as with it I don't wake up early, but certainly not for continuous use, at least for me."

Perchuhi Jan Jan (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I took diphenhydramine by mouth for spring allergies. It made me drowsy and helped my allergies, but also made me dizzy and nauseated, which it is supposed to prevent. I do know that it is probably one of the best antihistamines on the market."

Mitch1951 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "If you got a migraine cocktail in ER, then the med that gave you the anxiety, was most likely the compazine, it makes you feel very anxious that's why they give the benadryl with it to counteract the side effect of anxiety. (migraine cocktail consists of benadryl, compazine and depakote or Solumedrol). I had to take more benadryl to get rid of the severe anxiety"

sylviasylvia2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have sleep apnea but can't stand a mask on me, and without drugs I wake up constantly by stopping to breath. I take 75 mg of diph. an hour before I want to go to sleep, have a couple puffs of indica (night time pot,) ( it's legal here) and it works like a charm, I stay asleep for 5 or 6 hrs which is a long time for me, little groggy when I wake up but it goes away after a couple puffs of sativa (day time pot) I've been a toker for 49 yrs, it's good for a lot of uses. I am 66 My doctor says he agrees that pot is easier on the body and mind than prescription drugs for anxiety, insomnia, depression, pain,and loss of appetite. They make edibles, gum, etc for those that hate smoke."

All nighter (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Takes 4 hours to work and by then you need another dose. Since they took the other ingredient out, Benadryl and Wal-Dryl no longer work for me. Back to experimenting. No side affects, but not effective either."

Schnozola (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Like others here, I discovered using diphenhydramine for nausea when I had to take pain killers in the hospital. My nurse explained why to me. But since, I have found that if a drug of any kind gives you nausea, or in fact if you have nausea at all, give it a try. Last week, I had a fit of nausea that I can't track to any new Rx, it just seemed to occur on its own. I took the OTC diphenhydramine and it went away. When I went to my doctor complaining of a stomach virus last year, I was prescribed Dexilant. When I had the nausea symptoms recently, I took some of the leftovers. Those didn't do anything, but the diphenhydramine worked."

Maggie Lou (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have never had a problem with going to sleep at night, but I bought some Sominex at the airport the other day in order to help me sleep in a 9 hour flight, and now for the past few days I have had severe insomnia. Nothing else my routine has changed, but now I am up all through the night, tired all day, and still can't sleep at night. I regret making the mistake of using this product."

Tonedeft December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I was diagnosed with Chronic Idopathic Angioedema in 2005. I was 8 months pregnant and woke up one morning and my face was unrecognizable. I called my Dr and they said "oh it's probably just pregnancy swelling". I am an only child so I didn't know about facial swells. My husband came home and said this is NO pregnancy swelling. This was in 2003. It continued weekly so we took pictures and took to my obgyn. He had been practicing medicine for over 30 years and never seen anything like it, I saw numerous Dr.s and was finally diagnosed. I was in the hospital and swelled up I was given over Benadryl. It took my breath away and couldn't speak. Another nurse came in and yelled at the nurse. It has 2 b given slow or its very dangerous"

Chronic Idopathic Angeodiema (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I have had allergy all my life, pretty severe and I live in allergy heaven in TX. I have tried Everything and for me, benedryl is still the best. I work and it does not effect me, I often take it several times a day."

Brit007 November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I been up since12 pm with hay fever took a benadryl then couldn't stop sneezing due to hay fever nasal passages swollen and can't breathe it doesn't make me sleepy at all and my nose is still stuffy its is now. 3am I'm still up suffering with hay fever and just took another benadryl smh .not working fast enough for me plus I suffer with hay fever really really bad"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016