User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Motion Sickness 1 reviews 114 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 1 reviews 67 medications

5.5
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 147 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I have no rest every time I take benadryl. I feel I have a really bad reaction as I feel restless, my body feels like itchy, nauseous and it makes me feel angry feeling restless it really hurts my stomach am I allergic to it? or it a bad reaction"

Connert2 April 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I believe this is the strongest non prescription sleeping aid that you can take. This works really well for me on the few occasions that I need it, within about 10 minutes of taking it, I fall asleep and stay so for longer than I normally would without it. You can even try 1/2 or 1/4 tablet if you don't want to take a whole one. . Definitely recommend this!"

Agg67 March 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "There are no side effects. It works well."

Kimgu March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have occasional sleeping problems such linked to stress, such as not being able to fall asleep for around 2 to 5 hours or waking up in the middle of night and not being able to fall asleep afterwards. Someone recommended me to try Nustasium (diphenhydramine). It kicked in after 30 minutes to 1 hour I took it and it helped me sleep without waking up till morning for as many as 8-9 hours. However I felt dizzy and sleepy in the mornings. And in cases when I slept more than 8 hours like at the weekend I felt very weak and dizzy the whole day. Might be good for occasional use when I know I need long hours of sleep as with it I don't wake up early, but certainly not for continuous use, at least for me."

Perchuhi Jan Jan (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I took diphenhydramine by mouth for spring allergies. It made me drowsy and helped my allergies, but also made me dizzy and nauseated, which it is supposed to prevent. I do know that it is probably one of the best antihistamines on the market."

Mitch1951 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "If you got a migraine cocktail in ER, then the med that gave you the anxiety, was most likely the compazine, it makes you feel very anxious that's why they give the benadryl with it to counteract the side effect of anxiety. (migraine cocktail consists of benadryl, compazine and depakote or Solumedrol). I had to take more benadryl to get rid of the severe anxiety"

sylviasylvia2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have sleep apnea but can't stand a mask on me, and without drugs I wake up constantly by stopping to breath. I take 75 mg of diph. an hour before I want to go to sleep, have a couple puffs of indica (night time pot,) ( it's legal here) and it works like a charm, I stay asleep for 5 or 6 hrs which is a long time for me, little groggy when I wake up but it goes away after a couple puffs of sativa (day time pot) I've been a toker for 49 yrs, it's good for a lot of uses. I am 66 My doctor says he agrees that pot is easier on the body and mind than prescription drugs for anxiety, insomnia, depression, pain,and loss of appetite. They make edibles, gum, etc for those that hate smoke."

All nighter (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Takes 4 hours to work and by then you need another dose. Since they took the other ingredient out, Benadryl and Wal-Dryl no longer work for me. Back to experimenting. No side affects, but not effective either."

Schnozola (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Like others here, I discovered using diphenhydramine for nausea when I had to take pain killers in the hospital. My nurse explained why to me. But since, I have found that if a drug of any kind gives you nausea, or in fact if you have nausea at all, give it a try. Last week, I had a fit of nausea that I can't track to any new Rx, it just seemed to occur on its own. I took the OTC diphenhydramine and it went away. When I went to my doctor complaining of a stomach virus last year, I was prescribed Dexilant. When I had the nausea symptoms recently, I took some of the leftovers. Those didn't do anything, but the diphenhydramine worked."

Maggie Lou (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have never had a problem with going to sleep at night, but I bought some Sominex at the airport the other day in order to help me sleep in a 9 hour flight, and now for the past few days I have had severe insomnia. Nothing else my routine has changed, but now I am up all through the night, tired all day, and still can't sleep at night. I regret making the mistake of using this product."

Tonedeft December 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I was diagnosed with Chronic Idopathic Angioedema in 2005. I was 8 months pregnant and woke up one morning and my face was unrecognizable. I called my Dr and they said "oh it's probably just pregnancy swelling". I am an only child so I didn't know about facial swells. My husband came home and said this is NO pregnancy swelling. This was in 2003. It continued weekly so we took pictures and took to my obgyn. He had been practicing medicine for over 30 years and never seen anything like it, I saw numerous Dr.s and was finally diagnosed. I was in the hospital and swelled up I was given over Benadryl. It took my breath away and couldn't speak. Another nurse came in and yelled at the nurse. It has 2 b given slow or its very dangerous"

Chronic Idopathic Angeodiema (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I have had allergy all my life, pretty severe and I live in allergy heaven in TX. I have tried Everything and for me, benedryl is still the best. I work and it does not effect me, I often take it several times a day."

Brit007 November 25, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I been up since12 pm with hay fever took a benadryl then couldn't stop sneezing due to hay fever nasal passages swollen and can't breathe it doesn't make me sleepy at all and my nose is still stuffy its is now. 3am I'm still up suffering with hay fever and just took another benadryl smh .not working fast enough for me plus I suffer with hay fever really really bad"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "My adult size teenage son was given Benadryl IV, 50mg, *along with Compazine IV as a "headache cocktail" in an emergency room in September of 2016. While there is no way to know for certain if Compazine or Benadryl caused the severe reaction he experienced, he has tolerated oral Benadryl just fine in the past. However, it seems important to share our experience based on the severity of his reaction that day and that multiple reports of similar exist. I do not recommend the "headache cocktail" of Benadryl and Compazine together and hope the number of similar reports are looked into."

Son, age 16 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I work night shift and I use OTC diphenhydramine to get sleep during the day. It works so much better than the Ambien I was on. I don't wake up and sleep eat like I did while on Ambien."

Alois (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "does absolutely nothing. I took 2, then 2 more a few hours later"

Hollibird August 4, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Awoke with banging headache similar to a whisky hangover!Not good..."

Painfulgirl August 1, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Anyone who takes this in order to take pain medication or if also taking any benzodiazepine, need to use caution since all of the three slow your heart rate and breathing down. Inexperienced users might fall asleep and pass away during fyi."

Big-Bryan July 25, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I would get so worked up with hives before an exam with my gynecologist, that I would have to cancel. One day I took a Benadryl (they usually come in 25 mg or 50 mg tablets, or in packs of two 25 mg tablets)- just 25 mg before my appointment, and it really took the edge off. I had no hives and was much more relaxed. I buy the generic brand at the Dollar Store. This is used in our house for insomnia, allergic reactions, stuffy noses, and what I had previously mentioned. It is not habit-forming, and at such low doses, it's easy to control. Just make sure you stay hydrated! One word of caution to parents with young kids or teens- there have been many cases of suicide attempts and to trip out on."

Nurse-student July 11, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I tried using it, took two pills (Recommended dosage) and 20 minutes later, I'm tired. And it lasts for all of 30 minutes... can't fal asleep, then I'm wide awake again."

Doesn't matter June 10, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "obscurity.... hard to differentiate between being asleep and being awake...... very uncomfortable..... lost in a fog..... dreams tended to meld into a version of reality but not .... will not ever take unisom again ... not sure if it was a reaction I only"

fuck off June 10, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I had a couple surgeries on my jaw where I could not open it fully for an extended period of time. I am already semi-allergic to pain meds / anesthesia (excessive vomiting and nausea) so I was terrified to take my pain killers after surgery. The nurse / doctor recommended taking a couple Benadryl tablets (25mg) before the pain meds and it worked wonders! The only side effect is drowsiness."

MarD24 June 5, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Good antihistamine. Can cause drowsiness, but it works quickly and shrinks nasal swelling better than some of the other choices. I take a newer antihistamine during the day, but this helps a ton at night when the other wears off and the pollen is still bad."

NCResident (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for : "I've use it a couple of times neither time was it any help at all it's just another plaseabo"

MD78 May 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I split the tablets into 6 portions and I sleep well but I am very groggy the next morning and find it very hard to wake up. I stay sleepy and tired almost all day long. I feel very uncomfortable driving to work in the morning because I am so groggy."

mirabenira (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016