User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: Benadryl, Banophen, Benadryl Allergy, ZzzQuil, Sleep, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Diphen, Sominex, Unisom SleepGels, Nytol, Simply Sleep, Diphedryl, Dicopanol, Diphenhist, Diphenadryl, Quenalin, Hydramine, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Dormin, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Diphen Cough, Calm-Aid, Sleep Tabs, Diphenyl, Pharbedryl, Histaprin, Tranquil Nighttime Sleep Aid, Unisom SleepMelts, Sleepwell 2-nite, Snooze Fast, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Unisom SleepMinis, Unisom Liquid, ConRx Allergy, Buckley's Bedtime, Hyrexin, Bydramine, Diphen AF, DPH, Aler-Dryl, Allergia-C, Benahist-10, Benahist-50, Benoject-50, Genahist, Q-Dryl, Aller-G-Time, Sleep Tab II, Sleep-Eze-3, Somnicaps, Nytol QuickCaps, Total Allergy, Trux-adryl, Valu-Dryl, Altaryl, Beldin, Belix, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Siladryl, Siladryl DAS, Siladyl SA, Silphen Cough, Sleep-ettes, Tusstat, Diphenylin, Hydramine Compound, Pardryl, Nervine, Nu-Med, Nytol Caplet, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, Sleepinal, Help I Can't Sleep, Allermax, Diphendryl, Twilite, Banaril, Aler-Tab, Siladryl Allergy, Sleep-ettes D, Uni-Tann, Q-Dryl A/F, Diphenmax, Nightime Sleepaid, Ben-Tann, Dytan, Vanamine PD, Z-Sleep, PediaCare Children's Allergy, Truxadryl, Complete Allergy Relief, Dytuss, Miles Nervine, Scot-Tussin Allergy …show all brand names

Motion Sickness

5.5

1 review 69 medications
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 6.8 215 reviews

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Have to agree with the majority, theses don’t work,I took one at 10:00 pm went to bed and I’m now back up at 1:50 am"

Mac (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2019

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Nytol was an absolute waste of money. The company claims it's clinically proven sleep aid .. on what CATS ??? Doesn't help me at all !!"

Shilo (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2019

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This made me wake up every 2 hours all night and I am always overly exhausted the next day, not worth it."

e March 19, 2019

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Pruritus: "These blister packs are insanely hard to open! I don't get it!! Children safe is one thing, making it hard for an adult is another..Ill never buy these again just to protest.."

Dave March 12, 2019

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I usually takes prescribed medication from the GP, due to constant pain. On asking for medication to sleep from the Doctor she recommended Nytol - got the absolute best nights sleep the first in a long long time of never ending sleepless nights. I think you have to believe the meds is going to work for it to work. I read the reviews about the product being useless. I totally disagree Nytol Blue suits me fine."

Manz (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2019

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "They do help me sleep but I feel really terrible in the morning. Very groggy and very short tempered. Have had to throw the pack out as I feel so awful in the mornings. I've not noticed this to this degree of morning grogginess with other sleeping tablets. Horrible stuff!"

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2019

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I tried one today (50mg) and hasn't kicked in after 30minutes. If you are someone with pretty bad insomnia this isn't effective at all."

SilverB33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2019

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I took half of one for a transatlantic flight - it worked well. I woke up at 5 am to land, took a train from Newark to Manhattan, fell asleep for a further delicious three hours once I reached a bed. That would have been impossible without the Sominex. A whole one seems like madness!"

JemGa (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Been experiencing insomnia 2 weeks after stopping smoking weed, tried meditation, mitrazapine, chamomile tea, yoga now nytol. I took one 50mg as stated and still wide awake 2 hours later - no good! Anyone know of anything else to try. My dr is useless and won't give me sleep tabs although I had previously had diazapam and zopiclone and they were the best."

lew85x (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2019

For Pruritus: "The doctor ordered 50 ccs of Benadryl when I was in the ER for a bad breakout of Eczema among other things. As soon as the medicine got in my veins-I was useless! My mouth got instantly dry, I couldn’t speak anyway. It felt like it does when they put you to sleep. I was out for 3 hrs in the ER! I received a couple phone calls while I was there and didn’t remember them after. Luckily I didn’t drive myself there, but I felt strange the rest of the day. It definitely stopped the itching because I wasn’t awake to feel it!!"

Suzyq (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2019

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I think this is a brilliant drug to take when you want to break a run of bad nights. I tried it as I couldn't take Night nurse (which I used to take) as it has contra indications with another tablet that I take at the moment. I only need half a tablet, like other people, I can get up in the night if I have to and go back to sleep. I wake up feeling refreshed. Thank you Sominex."

Lo December 24, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Absolute rubbish, Didn’t help one bit and I’m furious I wasted £6 on this junk."

JS (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "For me, this is the most reliable medication for nausea and vomiting for multiple purposes, and I’ve tried everything else including ondanzetron. For any kind of nausea taking this early enough stops vomiting altogether, and really helps for nausea side effects from other medication like morphine etc. Great as well for migraines as it reduces nausea, stops vomiting and seems to help with making other medication more effective too. I tried everything for motion sickness both natural and pharmaceutical and this is the only one that helps at all. Shame many pharmacists in the UK are so poorly informed about this medication and refuse to allow you to buy it if you say it’s for nausea- so always just say you want it for occasion sleep issues "

Beth (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2018

For Insomnia: "I was struggling with severe insomnia when I moved abroad - I was often unable to sleep for 2-3 nights in a row and basically every night was a nightmare. I tried this drug and sometimes it would help me fall asleep, but every single morning I was feeling extremely drowsy, like a zombie. I was taking 50mg and never exceeded the dose. 25mg would make me feel dizzy but even worse than before taking the drug. At some point I had problems with excess mucus in my lungs and one day I was feeling so tired and dizzy after waking up that when I flushed my face with cold water, I choked on it and my cough reflex was greatly delayed and for 2 seconds I was just panicked not knowing what's going on. This is not a sleep drug and even if it puts you to sleep, it's not a regenerative sleep at all. In my opinion the sleep it gives is even worse than after you drink several beers. Another problem is that a tolerance to hypnotic effects of the drug seems to build up very quickly - often within 3 days"

aeth December 2, 2018

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I buy a 4-6 hour allergy pill that has the exact active ingredient (diphenhydramine HC 25 mg). It is an antihistamine!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2018

For Insomnia: "I actually only usually take 1 quarter of a tablet and if I'm really struggling I take half of one. I've put a rating of 9 because 9 out of 10 times it really does the trick! The first time I tried this I took a full one and slept for about 20 hours which you can imagine is not convenient at all! I try to be careful and only take them when I feel it's really necessary. I think the amount you need varies from person to person but as someone else said they are very easy to break. If you're struggling to sleep these are very likely to help...I recommend to all."

spiritualove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Took a half a tablet about an hour before bed. Slept just short of nine hours and probably could have turned over and got a bit more but forced myself up. Felt a bit drowsy for a short time but a lot better than I usually do after my normal 5-6 hours. I would strongly recommend you start at half a tablet and work your way up if necessary as if half a tab does what it did I'd hate to see what the manufacturer recommended two would do. Would give this a ten but should always leave room for improvement :-))"

Bignal (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

Nytol Caplet (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I occasionally use the one a night nytol and find them excellent. If I can’t sleep, I get up and take one and within half an hour have a undisturbed good nights sleep. I highly recommend them."

Thelma (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have used this product on & off, every couple of months, for several years. I use it to sleep well & lay in as opposed to helping me get to sleep. Oddly I find it either knocks me out, as planned, or doesn't work at all! Half the time it has no effect on me whatsoever, which is what lowers my overall rating. When it does work it successfully keeps me asleep & allows me to lie in longer than usual in the morning. Because of this I'd never take one if I had to get up for work! It doesn't impede me waking in the night to use the bathroom and I go straight back to sleep afterwards. They recommend taking it half an hour before bed but I take it earlier in the evening so it doesn't impact on me quite so much the following morning. I can stay awake easily for a couple of hours (or more) after taking it so I personally couldn't recommend it for aiding falling asleep."

Sazzles (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Works most of the time."

Jim (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2018

For Insomnia: "I usually have severe and chronic insomnia 3 years ago until now due to anxiety and stress. I took diphenhydramine first time since 2 years ago, It works perfectly, I had 9 hrs sleep with high quality. I retake it this week for 3 nights because I have occasional insomnia due to stress and anxiety I am passing in. It turns me sleepy, however, I have many side effects like severe anxiety, waking up during the night every 40 minutes and low quality sleep. It seems that this substance works once and drowsiness is just a side effect."

hussein (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2018

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Diphenhydramine is a fantastic sleep aid, but you need to follow the dosage very, very, carefully. I've struggled with insomnia since basically puberty, and few years back I began taking zzzquil daily. I slowly grew a tolerant to it, and increased my dosage eventually to 100mg. One night I was so fed up with tossing and turning, I took another 100mg (I was 19, ok?). An hour later I was watching the walls ripple like the surface of a pond, little black dots crawling up the walls here and there, and full blown auditory hallucinations. (I.e. I heard orchestra music coming from the bathroom vent fan amidst its hum). I felt like my body was made of lead, and was horribly lethargic. Still after tossing and turning for hours, I eventually made it to sleep, and felt as if I was awake the entire time. My room mate said I talked in my sleep the entire duration of my slumber, and my dreams were very vivid and unsettling. I felt like a trainwreck the next day until I could finally go home and sleep."

Lucky October 3, 2018

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Struggled to stay asleep since breast cancer and treatment a year ago. Read the reviews and thought I’d give them a go. Complete waste of money. Taken 2 the last couple of nights and still no sleep. Save your money don’t bother buying these."

Aspi (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

For Insomnia: "Helps me when nothing else would"

Toy (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This medication leaves me very groggy the next day."

Monica September 1, 2018