User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: Benadryl, Banophen, Benadryl Allergy, ZzzQuil, Unisom SleepGels, Diphen, Sominex, Diphenhist, Diphedryl, Dicopanol, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Nytol, Buckley's Bedtime, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Sleepinal, Hyrexin, Calm-Aid, Diphenyl, Beldin, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, Simply Sleep, Snooze Fast, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Unisom SleepMinis, Unisom Liquid, ConRx Allergy, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Bydramine, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, DPH, Aler-Dryl, Allergia-C, Benahist-10, Benahist-50, Benoject-50, Diphenadryl, Genahist, Aller-G-Time, Sleep Tab II, Nytol QuickCaps, Trux-adryl, Valu-Dryl, Altaryl, Belix, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Hydramine, Silphen Cough, Diphenylin, Hydramine Compound, Nytol Caplet, Help I Can't Sleep, Allermax Diphendryl Twilite Banaril Aler-Tab Siladryl Allergy Sleep-ettes D Diphenmax Ben-Tann Dytan Vanamine PD Pharbedryl Histaprin Z-Sleep Unisom SleepMelts Complete Allergy Relief Dytuss Dormin Miles Nervine Scot-Tussin Allergy Sleepwell 2-nite …show all brand names

Diphenhydramine has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 355 ratings on Drugs.com. 46% of those users who reviewed Diphenhydramine reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Cough   9.0
Insomnia   5.0
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 5.8 355 reviews

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

DB · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I have sworn by sominex for years. It just works. I used to take night nurse, until a pharmacist explained the active ingredient in night nurse is what sominex is made up of. Since then, 1 sominex, and I'm out for the count. Never is there a time where sominex isn't in my home”

Mils · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “Totally ineffective, makes me wake every hour at 12am, 1am, 2am, onwards. Still takes me about 90 mins to get to sleep. weird uncomfortable nightmares, feel like by the end of it I’m only getting about 3 hours decent sleep! I would rather take quetiapine”

Bsm91662 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I started taking these for my allergies. It does help me sleep, but like somebody said beware of vivid dreams. I've also experienced dry throat where I have trouble swallowing. It's a weird sensation. Not sure if I'm going to keep taking them.”

Cyp · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “Have trouble getting to sleep and then wake and can’t get back to sleep. Tried Nytol, followed the instructions exactly and am wide awake at 3am, having gone to bed at 11 and not been able to sleep. Worse off than when I don’t take anything. Complete waste of money!”

PBUK · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I do sleep at night, but wake up every few hours, so wanted to see if Nytol would help me sleep all night, On Friday I took a tablet about an hour before bed, it didn't make any difference, but was very tired in the morning, and struggled to get going Saturday I tried again, the same thing, slept the night, but kept waking up, but this time in the morning, I was totally knocked out couldn't move off the couch, and fell asleep around 10 am for a while. Not good!”

Hondray · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For Insomnia: “Does not help me sleep.”

Amy · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I use these when I’m feeling anxious due to work/personal problems and can’t sleep. The one a night version don’t work for me. The original version where you take up to two tablets is better! I drop off to sleep easily within 40 minutes and stay asleep. The only thing is if I take two I feel groggy the next day until lunch time so I often take 1 or 1 and a half unless I’m feeling very anxious. I’m 5’5” and weight 68kg for reference. All in all great for fixing sleeping patterns and helping me to sleep when I’m anxious. No bad side effects at all.”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

For Insomnia: “I'm feeling like loosing my mind only after 50 mg. I am still experiencing serious side effects. I prefer not to sleep but not feel like I'm in trance. God this is bad”

Aliyah · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2021

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “As an ex drug addict, I've tried many things to help me sleep that are non prescriptive, promethazine (sominex) does work but the vivid dreams are horrendous, so be ready for wild nightmares, this was a symptom that is very common and does not seem to wear off the more you take, so be warned!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “Absolutely love this. I have a hard time going to sleep and will sometimes lay in bed for two or more hours. This starts working in 30 minutes and I feel well rested.”

jasmine January 31, 2021

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I suffer from depression & anxiety so I also have insomnia. I know you don't wanna read too much lol so I'm gonna cut it short. I've had this around the house for a while and finally I decided to try it 15-20mins ago & I literally can already feel it. Honestly it has me feeling amazing just like other reviews. if you're deciding on trying it , DO IT .”

Joanna · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I have trouble falling asleep. Took this medication as recommended by pharmacy. Had terrible side effects. It made me feel like throwing up, gave me horrific nightmares, made my hands feel numb, I was left disorientated and genuinely had me thinking that life was over. Maybe it works for other people, but for me was more harmful.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2021

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Take it for my migraines or cluster headaches to help with nausea. Works amazing for me.”

Woowoo · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2021

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I have used this for years. I’m peri menopausal and my sleep routine is awful. I normally sleep 3-4 hours a night if I’m lucky, but with the help of this medication I get 8-10 blissful hours. However, until about midday the following day I feel tired and lethargic, but it’s worth it so my body gets some sleep...I only take it once a week. I’m going to try half a tablet twice a week and see how it goes!”

Wide eyed owl · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “First time I took Nytol it did work, second lot of time I took it it didn't asw ell and the third lot of times. Today is the third lot of times of anything. It made me more awake which is the opposite effect that I wanted. I may try taking 2 in the next nite and see if that helps.”

Firefly · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I decided to try these after a period of either not being able to sleep or waking up and not getting back to sleep. Having read quite scary side effects of prescription sleeping tablets I thought I'd try these first. So... I did drift off to sleep around 30-40 mins after taking a tablet. I woke up in the night to go to the bathroom but did get back to sleep much faster than usual. The downside was feeling spaced out (bit like a hangover) until lunchtime the next day! I'd not take them if I had an early start or important meeting. I'd recommend trying them but don't expect anything amazing. If your sleep issues are acute due to a trauma etc then I'd suggest these wouldn't work sufficiently.”

EDD · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “First off I read the instructions on the box which says 2 things! Firstly you can take one an hour before you go to bed (mistake) as it won't work that fast and your even more awake cause your waiting for the effects!! Now the second point they make is much more advisable where you take one probably around I would say 6pm as it gives your body much more time to acclimatize to the product. For me I only took one just before I went to bed but it's much more a delayed reaction so I found that I was quite groggy the next day (mistake). So it definitely works and I had a few funny dreams but who cares? Probably try not to lay in bed too much when night becomes day and get your self into a good pattern as you will be trying to over compensate with nytol”

Sleepishell · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I have been using Nytol for 7 days and its has not worked at all. I suffer from chronic insomnia. Apparently this product is clinically proven to help sleep? Really??? I noticed nothing other than a fuzzy head and dry mouth and I have been awake all night the same as usual. Sick of people saying they have something that helps, when it is rubbish. The only thing that has worked for me have been prescription meds.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “Been suffering with insomnia after losing my Dad recently and this whole pandemic. I have to say Nytol have worked really well for me. No side effects, takes about 20-40 mins to start to relax and drift off. Once asleep I’ve slept through unless interrupted by the cat or kids (they’re teenagers). I feel like I’m getting decent quality deep sleep which I haven’t for a while so I’m pleased with that. It’s given me the energy to train the next day which we all know is the best therapy”

Owen · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “Terrible product, did more harm than good. Took the one Nytol pill / night which have me a terrible headache and diarrhea all day, the day after taking it. Avoid at all costs”

Non sleepy · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I've used nytol one a night before and it's been extremely effective short time. However I've used it recently and had the most disturbing effects. Awful repetitive dreams... Waking me scared after 2 hours. Getting up then my vision was let's say very distorted with all I can was that if I looked in an empty coffee cup it looked like thousands of tiny flies were buzzing around in it. I used it the next night with exactly the same effect so I will never use it again.. Would rather go without sleep!!!”

CowsCowsCows · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2020

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “Ugh, just no. The first time I tried this tablet, I took a whole one. Did what it said on the tin, and I was knocked out within the hour. I slept for thirteen hours and woke up feeling TERRIBLE. Groggy, dizzy, and as if my limbs were tied down with iron weights. I wanted to cry at the tiniest things and felt bloody awful. Having slept for so long, I couldn't sleep it off. The next night, I took half a pill. In the morning, I didn't have the same grogginess, but I wasn't firing on all cylinders. I was also gripped with horrible anxiety that stayed with me until about 9 pm. I didn't take anything last night, and I feel absolutely fine. I find it difficult to chalk this up to coincidence.”

Jeanie · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I needed something to get me back into a good sleep pattern. I read the reviews which I found really useful. I decided to start off with one 25mg tablet (even though the box recommended two) and see how it went. I chose a night when I wasn't working the next day. I did get to sleep quicker than I have recently and, even though I got up twice for the toilet, I didn't wake up until 9am; my body clock is really good and I usually wake up at 6.30am working or not! I didn't feel any worse the following day. I will try the recommended two 25mg tablets next time and see how it goes. I will definitely be recommending them and taking them again until the stress eases an I am feeling more rested in the mornings.”

Glamma · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 7, 2020

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I have used Zzzquil every night for the past 6 months or so. I love it. I get drowsy around an hour after consuming and sleep soundly for 8-10 hours.”

Missjelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2020

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: “I use these Sominex tablets when I am on holiday as I always struggled to sleep in an unfamiliar place and an unfamiliar bed, it used to spoil my holiday as I felt so tired. I take half a Sominex tablet a night and it really helps. I do wake in the night but get to sleep again quickly. I find taking a whole tablet makes me feel terrible the next day but half a tablet allows me to sleep well and able to enjoy the next day and enjoy my holiday. (he is moans about my snoring though)”