User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Motion Sickness 1 reviews 114 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 1 reviews 67 medications

5.5
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 132 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "does absolutely nothing. I took 2, then 2 more a few hours later"

Hollibird August 4, 2016

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Awoke with banging headache similar to a whisky hangover!Not good..."

Painfulgirl August 1, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Anyone who takes this in order to take pain medication or if also taking any benzodiazepine, need to use caution since all of the three slow your heart rate and breathing down. Inexperienced users might fall asleep and pass away during fyi."

Big-Bryan July 25, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I would get so worked up with hives before an exam with my gynecologist, that I would have to cancel. One day I took a Benadryl (they usually come in 25 mg or 50 mg tablets, or in packs of two 25 mg tablets)- just 25 mg before my appointment, and it really took the edge off. I had no hives and was much more relaxed. I buy the generic brand at the Dollar Store. This is used in our house for insomnia, allergic reactions, stuffy noses, and what I had previously mentioned. It is not habit-forming, and at such low doses, it's easy to control. Just make sure you stay hydrated! One word of caution to parents with young kids or teens- there have been many cases of suicide attempts and to trip out on."

Nurse-student July 11, 2016

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I tried using it, took two pills (Recommended dosage) and 20 minutes later, I'm tired. And it lasts for all of 30 minutes... can't fal asleep, then I'm wide awake again."

Doesn't matter June 10, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "obscurity.... hard to differentiate between being asleep and being awake...... very uncomfortable..... lost in a fog..... dreams tended to meld into a version of reality but not .... will not ever take unisom again ... not sure if it was a reaction I only"

fuck off June 10, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I had a couple surgeries on my jaw where I could not open it fully for an extended period of time. I am already semi-allergic to pain meds / anesthesia (excessive vomiting and nausea) so I was terrified to take my pain killers after surgery. The nurse / doctor recommended taking a couple Benadryl tablets (25mg) before the pain meds and it worked wonders! The only side effect is drowsiness."

MarD24 June 5, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Good antihistamine. Can cause drowsiness, but it works quickly and shrinks nasal swelling better than some of the other choices. I take a newer antihistamine during the day, but this helps a ton at night when the other wears off and the pollen is still bad."

NCResident (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for : "I've use it a couple of times neither time was it any help at all it's just another plaseabo"

MD78 May 21, 2016

For Insomnia: "I split the tablets into 6 portions and I sleep well but I am very groggy the next morning and find it very hard to wake up. I stay sleepy and tired almost all day long. I feel very uncomfortable driving to work in the morning because I am so groggy."

mirabenira (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I take one before bed which keeps me breathing easily during the night despite my allergies. It also helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. The active ingredient, dyphenhydramine HCL, you will find is the main ingredient in quite a few over the counter sleep medications so that should tell us something. And Benadryl or a generic drugstore brand are cheaper and just as effective. Have been taking this for over 20 years and have no side effects"

Amensus (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Best drug for me to wake up with good sleep and not have a headache. I have used it for 8 years for allergies (itchy eyes, bug reactions) and my house always has it in stock. Love the drug!"

Allergic Headaches/can't sleep (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "Tried this to see if it was any better than doxylamine...It wasn't, in fact I found that it hardly makes me tired at all. I took 50mg, which is supposed to be equivalent to 25mg of doxylamine, but I found that for me the doxylamine was better. I guess everyone is different, though considering that doxylamine has a higher rating, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's better."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

For Insomnia: "take for sleep"

erjaejhrgpifuvngdfbsrt March 19, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Works better then most prescription drugs for allergies and chronic sinusitis ( I've had sinus surgery 4 times due to this), whose side effect are health threatening. I will only take at night due to the drowsiness, this drowsiness can turn into nervousness if I don't fall asleep and keeps me up all night. I do have drowsy days often with naps from sitting and just passing out. I find that if continue taking every night about the fourth I begin to have vivid and horrible nightmares. I also get drenching night sweats - the two are not always together one night I may have one or the other. I take one (1) tablet."

707 NC (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "experienced very low heart rate, palpatations, very disoriented, drowsy after taking only one 25 mg pill"

grandynandy March 2, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have used Sominex for YEARS and I absolutely love it!!! I am NEVER groggy in the morning. It allows me to sleep, then if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, I am able to go back to sleep. I take it generally every night. When I have spoken to various doctors over the years, they have never seemed concerned about my long term use. Nothing else works quite like it, and it definitely improves my quality of life as I simply cannot function if I don't get enough sleep. I usually have to order it online because it is not always stocked at the stores that I go to. Hope this helps. Sweet Dreams. :)"

Stevie Lou February 20, 2016

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I couldn't stop coughing for one week, I lost my voice and severe lung pain due to the coughing. Went to see a pulmonologyst and did xrays, the results, negative. My lungs were clear and no infection whatsoever . He recommended me to go to Walmart and buy claritin pills, but I was desperate last night to have a good sleep without coughing all night, I haven't been able to sleep with this horrible killing coughing , not mentioning dry nose, itchy ears, and itchy throat. Last night I took two regular benadryl pills and slept like a babe for 10 hrs straight, the only problem is that I make my living driving and can't take the pills during the day. Probably I will take clartin during the day, but I honestly prefer benadryl, way more effective"

Powered2be February 15, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Takes a while to get to sleep but once asleep that's how I stay. However I have found that it still effects me the next day. .....extremely groggy and exhausted. Not for me ."

Banshees February 12, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Allergy reaction to nuts. Started feeling swelling around mouth, throat.... very scary, feel like I am stopping to breath. This instant relieve. Give it 10-15 minutes till kicks in. WORKS WONDERS. BUT.... you might need a good snooze after a good dose..."

Madam2 January 25, 2016

For Insomnia: "Works quite well on insomnia but careful when combining with other meds that also work on your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system. I took it with lexapro and got significant problems with too low heart rate, respiratory issues and hypnic jerks."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This medication works well if taken as directed for your insomnia and for no longer than about 1 month. I began taking 1-50mg twice a week which worked very well but I continued to increase the dosage every 2 weeks. It did make me tired enough to fall right to sleep after about 45 minutes of taking it and with no drowsiness the following morning. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016

For Insomnia: "I take diphenhydramine in Ibuprofen PM to help me sleep, though I only take one pill and not more often than every third or fourth night. It works like a charm, enabling me to sleep without needing to get up and pee or waking up with my life concerns preventing a return to sleep, for 6-7 hours. My concern is whether it is habit-forming, whether taking this drug for sleep on some nights increases the difficulty I have in falling asleep without the drug, on other nights."

Steveplant January 14, 2016

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I purchased the zzzquil and it did not work not 1 bit , I would not recommended medication to anyone..."

BABYGIRL001 January 13, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I get severe migraines and was given this in the hospital instead of traditional nausea meds. It work well and I now use it at home and actually works better than Zofran or Phenagren."

Mmwillis December 29, 2015