User Reviews for Phenergan

Phenergan has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings on Drugs.com. 71% of those users who reviewed Phenergan reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Nausea/Vomiting
Urticaria
Summary of Phenergan reviews 7.4 118 reviews

Reviews for Phenergan

scg123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

For Sedation: “I don't know if I class myself as an insomniac but I usually wake up a load of times in the night which disturbs my sleep and makes me tired in the day so I decided to try Phenergan. This medication should really be taken just before you go to bed, I wouldn't recommend taking it while you're watching TV or anything because in my experience, you have to be trying to fall asleep for this to work. Even then, it's a horrible drug. 25mg is too little and I still wake up in the night a lot, 50mg is way too much and I'm pretty sure my throat closed up for a second in the middle of the night because I woke up gagging and I don't suffer from sleep apnoea so that was weird. Either way, any dosage of this stuff causes terrible daytime drowsiness the next day, I'm not sure if that's down to the half life of the medication or whether it is purely because it gives you really poor quality sleep.”

suzanneshena June 10, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given phenergan in the hospital when zofran wasn’t doing enough for my nausea due to food poisoning. They put a large amount into my IV and a few minutes later I realized I couldn’t tell if I was dreaming or awake. I keep staring at my husband wondering if he was really there or not (he was) . It was the most frightening medical experience I have ever had. I just kept my mouth shut and didn’t tell anyone what what happening to me because I didn’t want to be given any more medicine. It did get rid of my nausea though, but not even close to being worth it...so terribly frightening.”

Marty · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2021

For Light Sedation: “Almost magic, treating insomnia it works better than my ambien & after waking up I won't discover I have emptied the cookie jar or fridge like has happened on ambien a few times. The downside of phenergan is how long it works, yes the next morning there is some lingering fatigue but it fades & coffee clears that fast. For nausea which I get a lot, it also helps without giving you the gift of constipation like zofran does. Phenergan gets an "A" rating in my book.”

Kaz · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

For Sedation: “My partner was prescribed 25mg to take each night as he wasn't sleeping. The first night he took one it wiped him out and he was soaking with sweat. I had to help him get undressed and into bed he was that drowsy. The next day he looked drugged up. Then the second night he took another and never woke up, he passed away in his sleep. I thought he was just sleeping until I found him. The post mortem came back un-ascertained and I have been told it will take anywhere between 6-8mnths to get an answer however this is the only new medication he had taken. His other meds he took regularly so I blame this. Please be careful with this drug.”

JohnSmith · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2020

For Sedation: “I took 25mg Phenergan to help me sleep. It worked! I've been taking it for almost 2 years but only recently realized, when I stopped taking it, that it was causing me to have a low mood and a REALLY dry mouth to the point where I needed a drink with me at every meeting because it would affect my speech. When I stopped taking it, I woke up 4-5 times in the night, which is normal given I've got small children, but woke in the morning feeling a lot more clear-headed, less headaches and didn't have the need to guzzle glasses of water! Pharmacists only ever warned of drowsiness but not these side effects so wanted to share them with everyone! This medicine will get you to sleep, but it comes with a significant cost!”

Mary August 13, 2020

For Sedation: “Please be careful with these. About 3 years ago I took some to get a few hours sleep. I had to ask the Pharmacist for them as they were kept behind the counter. I got the 25mg’s and had no idea how strong they were. I’m embarrassed and still feel humiliated with what happened. I took 2 at first, I honestly thought they would just give me a few hours sleep and nothing else. I was hallucinating!! I won’t go into great details but I thought my family were in the house with me, they weren’t. My family and neighbour told me some of the things I did. They ended up calling an ambulance. I wrote to the company and also did a long internet search which I discovered that one rare side effect was in fact hallucinating. Please be careful with them. A big lesson learnt, always take as prescribed.”

Sal · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2020

For Sedation: “I suffer PMS and insomnia. I tried all types of herbs and supplement sleep aids even Melatonin with worked for me for a couple of nights but d be back to the same thing waking up at 3am or not sleeping more than 3 hours a night. My Gp told me about Phenergan. I took the 25mg 2 hours before bed for 5 nights and it 100% worked . Able to carry over month by month with great sleep. Wonder drug thank you Phenergan my friend”

Anxiousgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I have panic disorder, so when stressed out I get very nauseous and frequently throw up. The pandemic made my episodes more frequent so I went to my doctor. Zofran had no effect on me so they prescribed this pill. It totally cures the nausea. I do get a bit drowsy but since I take it when I’m hyped on adrenaline anyway it’s usually a relief. I only need 1/4 of a pill, which I take an hour or so before eating or if I feel like a panic attack is coming on. I gave it 9 just because it doesn’t help if I take it right when I feel like I’m going to throw up, you need to take it preemptively. But despite this I would recommend this to anyone who gets nauseous due to anxiety! I love that it has no side effects and it has helped so much in my recovery.”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

For Sedation: “This stuff is garbage for sleep. My doctor put me on this & took me off Zolpidem which worked great. Why screw with what works? Promethazine may work for people with mild sleeping issues but for those of us with severe insomnia it's like taking a skittle candy. Doesn't do a thing!”

Anonymous May 16, 2009

For Sedation: “I've used Phenergan, which is sold over the counter, as a sleeping aid for about one year now. Taken one hour before bedtime, it rarely fails to put me to sleep. The wondrous thing is that I have kept the same dose, and there are no withdrawal symptoms, if you stop using the drug for a week or two. Definitely the best substitute for any prescription sleep aid, that I've ever tried. Highly recommended as a sleep aid.”

June · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I have Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING for my nausea. Zofran, Omeprazole, Dramamine, etc. You name it, I've tried it. Nothing could stop my violent vomiting episodes. Phenergan suppositories are the only thing that could ever put a stop to my nausea and vomiting. The only problem is, it makes me very very tired, so I can hardly function in classes if I have to take it during the day. But I'll take being a little "out of it" over being so sick any day!”

Anonymous September 19, 2010

For Sedation: “Although I have fairly high blood pressure - for which I take medication, and use asthma inhalers to prevent asthma, I have found Phenergan to be absolutely marvelous for insomnia - I have an overactive mind! I find it's best to take it about four hours before I go to bed - then it knocks me out for the night. Sometimes I still feel a bit drowsy in the mornings and have discovered I only need the lowest dose to get a good night's sleep. I only take it the night following a sleepless night. Hope this is helpful.”

Kelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2018

For Sedation: “Has anyone had weight gain with Phenergen 25mg? I've put on 5 kilos quickly since using this & another drug, Valdoxen. Valdoxen helps which your melatonin receptors, is also an antidepressant, & says you do not put weight on. Not sure which one it is! Phenergen does say it can cause weight gain, esp in females, but they are not sure why. Though they state it's thought it can make you hungry thus you eat more. This isn't the case for me. I've been eating & exercising normally so something is going on. It's fabulous for sleep though, I finally get a great sleep. Confused!!”

Jamwock · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 19, 2015

For Sedation: “I have no problem falling asleep, but wake in the night and sometimes cannot fall back to sleep. I take one half tablet 12.5 mg of Phenergen and even if my sleep is disturbed I fall back to sleep easily, and wake up refreshed.”

Shelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2021

For Sedation: “I took two to get some sleep as I suffer from insomnia and we had a family gathering the following day. Still hadn't fallen asleep by 5am so took another one. Family turned up, I don't remember. I thought there were worms crawling in my carpet, I was talking to a mop which I thought was a person, thought I saw millions of baby spiders on the walls. I lost track of about 36 hours and was hallucinating the entire time! After doing an internet search, I found out they can cause hallucinations! They should have it on the box. I wrote to the company but never heard back. I was so embarrassed and felt humiliated in front of my family. At one stage they phoned for an ambulance. PLEASE be careful with them.”

Shygirl84 December 8, 2018

For Sedation: “I took 3x 25mg Phenergan too help me sleep the next morning I woke up covered in bumps & bruises apparently I had a grand Mal seizure through the night I haven't had a fit in 9 yrs. The chemist failed to tell me this drug can bring on seizures. Just want other people to know about this as I was unaware... Thanks”

trainman December 16, 2008

For Sedation: “This medicine helped sedate me when I was having back pain. I had two herniated discs and it calmed me down before and after the surgeries. It is not habit forming and was a plus with all the other medicines I was on.”

Gina · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2019

For Sedation: “I only take 6mg (1/4 of 25mg tablet) at night before I have to work next day i.e Sun to Thurs night. The first time I took a whole pill, never again as it knocked me out but next morning had to stay home as I was so drowsy! I prefer this to taking Lorazepam.”

Jose12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was suffering with nausea caused by panic disorder, anxiety, and depression, my physician prescribed me zofran at first, but I did not like the side effect of major constipation. Thus I told my doctor "is there any other MEDs for nausea", he prescribed me phenergan and it's a miracle drug. My nausea is now barely present.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2015

For Sedation: “took one 25mg to help me sleep however the next day I felt awful like id been drugged just couldn't wake up this lasted all day.i wont be taking them again .my wife on the other hand takes them every night with no problems”

Mommasick June 20, 2014

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I have used this medication many times for nausea. It always helps quickly and completely. The only reason it does not get a perfect score is that it knocks me out! I'll be groggy for the rest of the day even with only one dose.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 24, 2021

For Sedation: “I have been taking these for almost 5 years what started as 1 x 10mg then turned into a huge dose. I have now dropped down to 3 x 10mg a night and have decided it’s time to go completely cold off them. I started taking these to sleep easier, as due to anxiety it was hard to fall asleep. I have made the decision to come off them as I was getting intense nightmares which made me afraid to fall asleep, my body was bruising extremely easily and my platelets were beginning to drop. Just be careful if you have an addictive personality”

macca March 9, 2020

For Sedation: “Phenergan is the best sedation I have seen... I find over 12.5 mg knocks me for " six ". Most of these medications are best when used sparingly , when needed. Taking sedation every night tells me a powerful anti psychotic may be a more suitable option.”

Robinowitz September 14, 2013

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I'm going through chemo (Taxol and Carboplatin) for ovarian cancer and Phenergan is great. I sometimes also take Zofran with it because they affect two totally different receptors causing the nausea and both together usually stops the ever present nausea.”

Woozy · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Had an outpatient procedure and put into a “twilight sedation”, with additional pain meds through the IV although I can’t recall what that was. The pain meds caused me terrible nausea, and dizziness. I was given a dose of Zofran and a motion sickness patch before surgery to try and prevent this as I get nauseous from pain meds so easily...that didn’t work. I was given 12.5 mg of phenergran and 15 minutes later symptoms had improved greatly. I was able to get dressed and start on my way home, although the nausea was still present somewhat due to the motion of the car ride home. Hit the bed and slept like a rock for four hours, felt sleepy the rest of the evening. Blood pressure did go up some as well, 132/88. Took my usual Beta blocker at bedtime that helped my bp come down.”

LauraLab1 May 13, 2013

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I have chronic pancreatitis and often have persistent nausea and vomiting. I have tried Zofran and a couple of other medications for this but none are as effective as Phenergan. Whether orally or I.V., it takes away the nausea. I have a GJ tube for enteral nutrition. Vomiting can cause the tube to twist and slide out of place so it's imperative to keep it under control. Phenergan does that for me. It also helps with the side effects from the painkillers I must take every day (oxycodone and Dilaudid). I don't know where I would be without it. Phenergan may be old school but it works for me better than any newer medicine.”

Anonymous November 4, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was diagnosed with H Pylori and I was throwing up and nauseated every day for an entire month finally I was hospitalized and they gave me phenergran and God Bless the person who created this drug. Even now when I feel the slightest bit of nausea I take it and it'll knock me out and wake up feeling great”

Anonymous January 24, 2012

For Opiate Adjunct: “I am on opiate pain medication for a back injury from a car accident, and the opiates make me nauseated and vomit. Pain doc put me on 25mg Promethazine 3X a day and it works wonders! It will make you a little sleepy, but once you get used to it then that feeling goes away. And I've tried Tigan (Trimethobenzamide) which made nausea worse. Tried Zolfran (Ondansetron) which I hated because it taste nasty and that doesn't help when you are nauseated. I would HIGHLY recommend Promethazine for ANYONE who SUFFERS with nausea from opiates or has chronic nausea!”