User Reviews for Phenergan to treat Sedation

Phenergan has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Sedation. 44% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Phenergan Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Phenergan

Kaz · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

“My partner was prescribed 25mg to take each night as he wasn't sleeping. The first night he took one it wiped him out and he was soaking with sweat. I had to help him get undressed and into bed he was that drowsy. The next day he looked drugged up. Then the second night he took another and never woke up, he passed away in his sleep. I thought he was just sleeping until I found him. The post mortem came back un-ascertained and I have been told it will take anywhere between 6-8mnths to get an answer however this is the only new medication he had taken. His other meds he took regularly so I blame this. Please be careful with this drug.”

JohnSmith · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2020

“I took 25mg Phenergan to help me sleep. It worked! I've been taking it for almost 2 years but only recently realized, when I stopped taking it, that it was causing me to have a low mood and a REALLY dry mouth to the point where I needed a drink with me at every meeting because it would affect my speech. When I stopped taking it, I woke up 4-5 times in the night, which is normal given I've got small children, but woke in the morning feeling a lot more clear-headed, less headaches and didn't have the need to guzzle glasses of water! Pharmacists only ever warned of drowsiness but not these side effects so wanted to share them with everyone! This medicine will get you to sleep, but it comes with a significant cost!”

Mary August 13, 2020

“Please be careful with these. About 3 years ago I took some to get a few hours sleep. I had to ask the Pharmacist for them as they were kept behind the counter. I got the 25mg’s and had no idea how strong they were. I’m embarrassed and still feel humiliated with what happened. I took 2 at first, I honestly thought they would just give me a few hours sleep and nothing else. I was hallucinating!! I won’t go into great details but I thought my family were in the house with me, they weren’t. My family and neighbour told me some of the things I did. They ended up calling an ambulance. I wrote to the company and also did a long internet search which I discovered that one rare side effect was in fact hallucinating. Please be careful with them. A big lesson learnt, always take as prescribed.”

Sal · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2020

“I suffer PMS and insomnia. I tried all types of herbs and supplement sleep aids even Melatonin with worked for me for a couple of nights but d be back to the same thing waking up at 3am or not sleeping more than 3 hours a night. My Gp told me about Phenergan. I took the 25mg 2 hours before bed for 5 nights and it 100% worked . Able to carry over month by month with great sleep. Wonder drug thank you Phenergan my friend”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

“This stuff is garbage for sleep. My doctor put me on this & took me off Zolpidem which worked great. Why screw with what works? Promethazine may work for people with mild sleeping issues but for those of us with severe insomnia it's like taking a skittle candy. Doesn't do a thing!”

Anonymous May 16, 2009

“I've used Phenergan, which is sold over the counter, as a sleeping aid for about one year now. Taken one hour before bedtime, it rarely fails to put me to sleep. The wondrous thing is that I have kept the same dose, and there are no withdrawal symptoms, if you stop using the drug for a week or two. Definitely the best substitute for any prescription sleep aid, that I've ever tried. Highly recommended as a sleep aid.”

scg123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

“I don't know if I class myself as an insomniac but I usually wake up a load of times in the night which disturbs my sleep and makes me tired in the day so I decided to try Phenergan. This medication should really be taken just before you go to bed, I wouldn't recommend taking it while you're watching TV or anything because in my experience, you have to be trying to fall asleep for this to work. Even then, it's a horrible drug. 25mg is too little and I still wake up in the night a lot, 50mg is way too much and I'm pretty sure my throat closed up for a second in the middle of the night because I woke up gagging and I don't suffer from sleep apnoea so that was weird. Either way, any dosage of this stuff causes terrible daytime drowsiness the next day, I'm not sure if that's down to the half life of the medication or whether it is purely because it gives you really poor quality sleep.”

Anonymous September 19, 2010

“Although I have fairly high blood pressure - for which I take medication, and use asthma inhalers to prevent asthma, I have found Phenergan to be absolutely marvelous for insomnia - I have an overactive mind! I find it's best to take it about four hours before I go to bed - then it knocks me out for the night. Sometimes I still feel a bit drowsy in the mornings and have discovered I only need the lowest dose to get a good night's sleep. I only take it the night following a sleepless night. Hope this is helpful.”

Shelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2021

“I took two to get some sleep as I suffer from insomnia and we had a family gathering the following day. Still hadn't fallen asleep by 5am so took another one. Family turned up, I don't remember. I thought there were worms crawling in my carpet, I was talking to a mop which I thought was a person, thought I saw millions of baby spiders on the walls. I lost track of about 36 hours and was hallucinating the entire time! After doing an internet search, I found out they can cause hallucinations! They should have it on the box. I wrote to the company but never heard back. I was so embarrassed and felt humiliated in front of my family. At one stage they phoned for an ambulance. PLEASE be careful with them.”

Kelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2018

“Has anyone had weight gain with Phenergen 25mg? I've put on 5 kilos quickly since using this & another drug, Valdoxen. Valdoxen helps which your melatonin receptors, is also an antidepressant, & says you do not put weight on. Not sure which one it is! Phenergen does say it can cause weight gain, esp in females, but they are not sure why. Though they state it's thought it can make you hungry thus you eat more. This isn't the case for me. I've been eating & exercising normally so something is going on. It's fabulous for sleep though, I finally get a great sleep. Confused!!”

Shygirl84 December 8, 2018

“I took 3x 25mg Phenergan too help me sleep the next morning I woke up covered in bumps & bruises apparently I had a grand Mal seizure through the night I haven't had a fit in 9 yrs. The chemist failed to tell me this drug can bring on seizures. Just want other people to know about this as I was unaware... Thanks”

Jamwock · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 19, 2015

“I have no problem falling asleep, but wake in the night and sometimes cannot fall back to sleep. I take one half tablet 12.5 mg of Phenergen and even if my sleep is disturbed I fall back to sleep easily, and wake up refreshed.”

trainman December 16, 2008

“This medicine helped sedate me when I was having back pain. I had two herniated discs and it calmed me down before and after the surgeries. It is not habit forming and was a plus with all the other medicines I was on.”

Gina · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2019

“I only take 6mg (1/4 of 25mg tablet) at night before I have to work next day i.e Sun to Thurs night. The first time I took a whole pill, never again as it knocked me out but next morning had to stay home as I was so drowsy! I prefer this to taking Lorazepam.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2015

“took one 25mg to help me sleep however the next day I felt awful like id been drugged just couldn't wake up this lasted all day.i wont be taking them again .my wife on the other hand takes them every night with no problems”

macca March 9, 2020

“Phenergan is the best sedation I have seen... I find over 12.5 mg knocks me for " six ". Most of these medications are best when used sparingly , when needed. Taking sedation every night tells me a powerful anti psychotic may be a more suitable option.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 24, 2021

“I have been taking these for almost 5 years what started as 1 x 10mg then turned into a huge dose. I have now dropped down to 3 x 10mg a night and have decided it’s time to go completely cold off them. I started taking these to sleep easier, as due to anxiety it was hard to fall asleep. I have made the decision to come off them as I was getting intense nightmares which made me afraid to fall asleep, my body was bruising extremely easily and my platelets were beginning to drop. Just be careful if you have an addictive personality”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2018

“I have restarted taking 3 months ago, after coming off amitriptyline cold turkey. These are more suited as you can take most cold and flu medication without issues, which was always a issue. The tablets take effect quickly (1.5 hours) first started on 50mg per night now down to 30mg due to tablets now making me more sleepy during the day time than before. I would recommend these to any anxiety or insomnia suffer as they do not have neuro side effects like other sleepers.”

Ghand79 August 28, 2015

“I was prescribed this for my 6 yr old daughter to help her sleep. I've only been using it a couple of nights but it doesn't seem to be working. I am giving her the 3x5ml dose and giving her it at 6pm and up to now she is still not going to sleep before 11pm. Am I not giving her enough or not giving it enough time to work? Advice greatly appreciated! Thanks”

PaulG June 12, 2020

“I took 25mg Phenergan last night for anxiety and it took 2 hours to kick in, I slept great and got 8 hours sleep, the only thing for me was the length it takes to kick in.”

En October 13, 2020

“OMG it helps me so much it is so good for me to use when I can’t sleep I have to wake up very early every morning and it helps me get better rest faster at night”

shooz September 16, 2009

“I have found this wonderful for helping me sleep after years of taking other sleeping pills. This has worked, thanks.”

Priiny · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

“Phenergan was useless no help at all. Would not recommend”

Nath W January 28, 2017

“Hated it. Sure enough I slept straight through for 8 hours but I experienced attacks of vertigo for 2 days afterwards. Never again”

J · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2021

“I tried to use 50mg to go to sleep and the medication had absolutely no affect on me other than heaviness in my legs. I guess it depends on who you are.”

Learn more about Sedation