User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Allergic Rhinitis 1 reviews 877 medications

Migraine 22 reviews 81 medications

7.3
Summary of Cyproheptadine reviews 114 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

For Anorexia: "Personally, I did not experience an appetite increase. This was my hope and now I'm trying my best to find other medicines to increase my appetite. Wish me luck."

PlantFlowerTree February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Allergic Reactions: "This medication works wonders if you are looking to gain weight. I personally take these for allergies but have noticed weight change within 2 weeks of using it. I was 180 and gained 5 pounds and I'm 5'9. Not too stoked on gaining weight but I'm not disappointed either would definitely recommend if you suffer from loss of appetite or other medical conditions."

Deezylemonsqueezy February 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "I have always had a hard time gaining weight since I was a teenager. Nothing that I tried before worked BUT cyproheptadine. It took me years of research and I tried a few different methods, different diets etc... doctors would tell me that I was going to gain weight with age... but I absolutely hated the way my clothes looked on me and how skinny I was. One beautiful, happy , lucky day, lol, I saw a post online about cyproheptadine and decided to do a little research. I asked my primary doctor to prescribe it to me and she did. I gained about 15 pounds or more with this medication in just a few months. I was about 100 pounds and now I am at 123. I only take the medication if I feel that my appetite is poor... I just pop one of those. great!"

JulianaO February 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "I eventually thought my weight probs were over, I was High as a kite and couldn't wait to start taking them after reading all the Positives about them, alas, it was the most disappointing thing thats happened to me,They did NOTHING for me,not even the Sleepiness occurred that people posted about.I just decided to be determined and eat as much as I could, But as much as eat I'm still stuck on 8 stone,4 st less than my norm.I can only assume it is other Meds I'm on that is Blocking them from working,So Despondent."

LisbonLion February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Allergic Reactions: "Took Periactin successfully back in the 1980's for a brutal allergy attack that sent me to the ER. Benadryl injection worsened it so my throat was closing then they gave me Valium injection to relax my airways. Sent me to a specialist who gave me Periactin, which cleared the hives and itching all over me, which I've now learned I'm allergic to pine and cinnamon. My MD later changed it to Atarax when I started gaining too much weight lol. Fast forward, I'm disabled with arthritis now on Mesicare, not a jolly Christmas shopper with these allergies, and my pcp tells me to take OTC allergy meds. Missing working, my allergy shots, too thin and coveting Periactin. Weight gain would be a great side effect to get some weight back. Great med."

sybil1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I started taking this medication I was 88 pounds 5'3, and sickly looking people thought I was on drugs. I had no appetite and hated how my clothes looked! Taking this medicine I am now 130 pounds and eat like a horse I gained really fast too!! It doesn't make me tired but my tolerance is high.. Im prescribed medical marijuana as well which is a help also! I recommend both and CBDs."

IndicaXtina (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "I must say this medicine has really helped me so much I recommend this to anyone looking to gain weight. When I first started I was maybe sleepy the first week, but I got over it. I have been on this med for almost a month & gained 10 pounds already & im love the results."

Anonymous December 26, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Allergic Reactions: "This doesn't work for me. Iv'e found an other way to gain weight. Reply if this doesn't work for you"

Nieboo December 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "I was prescribed this medication for rapid weight loss (-25lbs in 2 weeks) from severe anxiety and panic disorder. During this time I was unable to eat hardly anything and lost my appetite completely. My psychiatrist gave me a 4mg dose of this to take daily. I started off by taking only half a dose and that did the trick for me. I have gained 5 pounds back in about 10 days. I do have to say the appetite increased mostly toward the evening, not so much in the morning, but it does work. I did not experience any side effects from it."

J137B (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "This is not my experience but from my learning on pharmacology. If someone takes Periactin for long time, it causes psychosis and damage to liver. So, before taking Periactin for long time, consult your doctor"

Dr Zulfiquer Ahmed Amin October 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I've being treated for anxiety with amitriptyline & xanax. During my 3 month review with my doctor I told him how I went from a 1 to a 5 since taking these medications. I've been trying to gain weight since having my daughter 10 yrs ago. I was always 5/6 7/8.. After having her barely a one. So I'm pleased that Im gaining weight. So he gives me my anxiety medications with Periactin. Hopefully all goes well & i can reach my goal."

chris310 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I've always been underweight and I had a weak appetite and always struggled to gain any weight. I was 24 and still weighed 90lbs I was depressed about my weight. but after prescribed periactin, I gained over 15 lbs in 2 months and I feel great! I have never weighed over 100 lbs in my entire life. It really works!"

Emiwag September 5, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "This drug was excellent for me personally. I gained 30 pounds in two months which was great. I highly recommend this medication."

SunshineSD August 30, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "Did NOT WORK for me. I was very disappointed. after seeing all these reviews I was really hopefull. But it did nothing for me other than make me sleepy the first few days. Any other pills out there?"

Tomasek August 28, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I have always been thin my whole life & tried everything to gain weight i hate skinny jokes still at the age of 31 & you would think 5 kids wouldnof gavr me some weight smh no so i ask my doctor to prescribe me something so far i been using them for 2 weeks now and I've went from 100 to 112. I suppose to take one at bedtime but I take them 2/3 times a day and it literally increases my appetite which I barely had before. Like I'm hungry all the time especially when I wake up in the morning and after dinner its a must for a late night snack/ mini meal... I'm really satisfied with my results my only complaint would be the sleeping so much I had to start taking half and half of the 4mg because they knock you out for hoursss. Hope this helps :-)"

TinkaBellz (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I have been wanting to gain weight for over ten years. I have a really hard time eating. It's like a chore to me to force myself to eat and I get full really quick. Everyone tells me I'm too thin all the time and mass shakes make me want to puke because they're too sweet and thick. So I've been underweight most of my life. I searched the Internet and about two weeks ago I found reviews for periactin and got really excited to try it. So I got it prescribed right away and have been on it for a week now. I've gained 10 ibs already! This is a miracle! I felt a tiny bit sleepy the first two days but I've always felt tired from lack of nutrition so it wasn't much of a difference. I'm so excited to keep gaining!"

Thin girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "Omg all my life I have been small and wanted to gain weight but never could. I'm 5'4 was 123pounds before the medicine not to bad for my height. So one day I went to my Dr and we talked about me having loss of appetite so she recommended I take periactin to help me with my appetite and wow guys I have gained literally 10 pounds in two weeks. I'm in my third week I'm 137 and I love it. This medication is defiantly for anyone trying to gain weight."

Amazin (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "It got prescribed this when I started getting horrible headaches almost daily. I was told to take it two times daily, once in the morning and once at night. It gave me more headaches, at least an aura without pain. I had increased blind spots in my vision. As well as it made me extremely tired. Stopped taking it."

RedSchist (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "Ive always been skinny but not to a point where people would point it out or say i need to gain weight. I tried taking this because sometimes ill lose my appetite and i can go days without feeling hungry. I took half a 4mg at night before bed and i couldnt get out! I slept from 10 pm all the way to 1:30 in the afternoon and i was still tired! It makes your bones feel like jelly. It does help you gain weight but when i took it, all the weight just went to my stomach. So now im just forcing myself to eat more and i hit the gym 5 times a week for weight lifting and i look better than when i used this pill to gain weight. If you want to put on healthy weight aka muscle this isnt the pill to try- 16lbs of muscle =1 year to put on."

Jessicajones123 August 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "yes the hype is true with this med for appetite increase(also used for allergies which works wonders) this will.. i repeat this medicine will make you sleepy, dizzy and a bit lazy the first few days...i would say give it a full week before the sleepiness becomes manageable i can recommend is taking 2mg then up the dose every few days **DO NOT take a full 4mg at first it will knock you on your butt (dissolving the tablet in juice or taking it with a full meal might help with the drowsiness) started this med at 100lbs 9 days later i'm at 108lbs i rate it a 9 and not a full 10 because of the extreme drowsiness/sleepiness in the beginning one last thing i recommend is to eat healthy foods to gain weight"

kiing (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For : "Hi this is my 1 month update I was weighing 128lbs I started taking Apetmin on June 26,2016 I weighed in today July 26,2016 and I weigh 141lbs my goal is 150lbs Apetamine really dose work I gained a total of 12lbs in one month for the first 2 days I felt sleepy but after that I was ok"

Rtshaker (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "I've always been quite underweight and absolutely hated it, tried this years ago and quit a few pills in due to the tiredness caused. Gave it another shot 6 weeks ago and have gained a stone already (usually impossible!). I've been taking one a day which is a low dose and my appetite has easily doubled. I used to feel full half way through a meal and feel anxious going out for food in case I couldn't finish it. Definitely not a problem anymore. I've given it a 10 as it has made such a huge impact on my self esteem already, and unexpectedly resolved what I believe to be urticaria over night. The only downside is the tiredness; makes getting to sleep nice and easy but waking up is so difficult! Long way to go still, but very happy so far :)"

Lobster1800 July 5, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "My son has had migraines for years but they only got worse the older he got. The day before the last day of school last year he had such a bad migraine that he had a seizure. Fast forward to the neurologist appointment and she decided to put him on this medication before trying a medication for seizures that she said would help the migraines also. He took this medicine every day in the mornings (it did not make him sleepy at all) for 11 months. He gained 40-45 pounds and the medication stopped working for him. He got the daith piercing and is off the medication now. Migraine free for 3 weeks which is amazing for him! So, it didn't last for migraines for my son."

Mom3376 June 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Anorexia: "I was put on this a few years ago and I was so happy to gain weight. I am almost 32 yo, I have 9 children, 5'6 and only weight 104 lbs. I am going back on it. I want to look like a woman, not a child. My oldest son was mistaken as my boyfriend. I was so embarrassed."

bargo9 June 28, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For : "I started taking this drug late March of 2015 I was 110 pounds I went from 126 to 132 within weeks once was on it in my teenage years because of my high metabolism I couldn't gain weight or keep it I got up to 140 pounds over 2 months yes it works very well but for some when you stop taking them the weigh will fall off my doctor just re prescribed it to me my weigh goal is at least 150 I'm 5'5 & 25 years old"

GreenOG25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2016