User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Cyproheptadine has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 181 ratings on Drugs.com. 76% of those users who reviewed Cyproheptadine reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Allergic Rhinitis   10.0
Migraine   6.6
Summary of Cyproheptadine reviews 8.2 181 reviews

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Vudu · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Anorexia: “Very effective”

Sharna1994 January 24, 2021

For Anorexia: “I need advice I don’t know if anyone can reply back to me on here I’m new I took this drug for 5 years on and off to gain weight and my body became tolerant to it has anyone found another drug to help them gain weight my metabolism is very high and I suffer from dairy and sugar intolerance so it’s very hard for me to gain weight”

Sunflowerbeauty · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

For Anorexia: “I have never been diagnosed with anorexia, but I have always been skinny. I have always had a high matabolism. My Dr prescribed me this medicine cyproheptadine and it has increased my appetite so much. I'm constantly always eating, and I finish every meal! I'm craving food all the time and I have gained 6 pounds!! I was 88 pounds before I started taking my medicine, and my Dr is so happy to know I have gained weight. I totally recommend this medicine 100%”

Bama country gurl · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2021

For Anorexia: “Cyproheptadine I have been taking for about 2 years after you have reach your weight gain once you stop taking it you will lose weight just as fast as you put on. If you have been taking cyproheptadine for as long as I have it will stop working for you. It will also make you very sleepy .”

Anki · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2020

For Anorexia: “I took this medicine 4 months back I was 37kg and I gain 5kg of weight. I am still underweight but want to suggest don't take this medicine for long time. My periods are affected they become irregular from last 4 months. It's good for appetite stimulator but can affect your body .”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 3, 2020

For Anorexia: “Hey guys, I had done a review on Cyproheptadine a few years ago. I was soooo excited about this pill and how it helped me gain weight but with the weight gain came a lot of other health issues that followed. I decided I needed to let you guys know what can happen to you too. I got addicted to the pills. I was always sleeping, not concentrating and the pills were not as effective as they were the first few month but I couldn’t stop taking them. It cause me to get fungus on my nails, breathing became heavy and I was always tired and sleepy. I decided to stop taking the pills which was very hard for me but I knew if I kept taking them I would end up getting really sick which my body was already showing symptoms of. All the weight shed after I stopped taking the pills, but I have learned to love my body. Being tired and experiencing health complications is not worth it. If you are not prescribed these from a doctor don’t mess with your body and your health guys!”

Sciku September 12, 2020

For Anorexia: “Been on yproheptadine a week, 1st day was only sleeping every time I took a pill. Next day hunger struck, also was drinking loads more water. I've gained about 10 pounds in the last week, water weight and muscle fullness with 2 pounds of fat. Cons: - Anger has severely gone up ever since on this medication. - Nauseous from over eating - Cannot sleep properly, makes me stop breathing on some occasions. - Depression and really dark thoughts have severely gone up.”

Anonymous August 22, 2020

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: “Every time I take it makes hungry an every time after a meal it makes me sleepy ”

iris · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2020

For Anorexia: “So I was using this cyproheptadine for anorexia, and it caused severe heart problems with me, my heart would skip beats and my mind would play with me and cause me to have panic attacks, to this day it still causes skipped beats, I'm in my late teens and was prescribed this when I was 8 years old, would not suggest giving this to someone that young at all.”

Nickynicku April 25, 2020

For Anorexia: “Just started the medication a day ago and am super sleepy and tired I hope the side effects subside and results be appealing.”

kepicket · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2020

“this cyproheptadine medication is great for my cyclic vomiting syndrome! it keeps me from being nauseous all the time. it does, however, cause me to gain more weight than I'd like (I gained 20 pounds while on this med), and I get pretty bad acid reflux sometimes as well. It definitely beats going to the emergency room twice a month though.”

Harold · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 27, 2020

For Failure to Thrive: “I really think this medication is making me go crazy and has worsened everything. I have like 95% of the side affects and I’ve been taking a low dose for over 2 years and it’s for a central sensitization and huge appetite loss”

Lacey · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2020

For Migraine: “20 weeks pregnant and started getting a ton of migraines over night. Neurologist gave me this prescription. It did significantly help keep away the migraines but the side effects are horrible. Now I'm in withdrawal trying to wean off. I wish the Dr. had given me a clearer picture of what being on this drug is like. Restless legs at night. Heavy chest during the day. Get out of breath. Feel like I ran a marathon. I gained a ton of weight! No, not because I'm pregnant. I would prefer medicating migraines over taking this drug daily.”

KK March 19, 2020

For Anorexia Nervosa: “Started cyproheptadine mid September of 2019 at 97lbs. Underweight for a 31 year old woman. I’ve been small my whole life, but I am a very anxious person. So this was a contributing factor. My doctor prescribed 4mg 3 times a day. I started out with 1 pill a day and never increase because of how well it worked. The first week it does make you very sleepy and even irritable. Well it with with me. I pushed through because I needed to see if it worked. So my weight and dates. Started mid September 2019-97 lbs. October 7th- 110 November 6th- 121.2 I was gaining pretty decent weight and now I’m 136-139 which is at my goal since I’m only 5’1. My weight does fluctuate by 5 lbs give or take just depending how I’m feeling and eating. If I drop below 135, I just start it back and within a week and a half I’m back to where I want to be. This medication does work and it works well, the key is getting through the first week or two of side effects to allow your body to adjust.”

Tt February 24, 2020

“I just started to take this medication today and so far I'm starting to feel sleepy I pray that it works because I always have always been a little petite woman and I always feel bad because when I go in public people say wow you are so small, do you eat? do you have kids? I will be back in a month to let you all know how this medication is working for me thanks and I hope everyone has to accomplish what their dreams”

Julia February 9, 2020

For Anorexia: “I am a very slim girl. 21 years old. Normally 100-110 pounds. unhappy with my current weight. I didn't have an appetite much and feel very full with just a couple bites. I started cyproheptadine 2/3 weighing 106 lbs. today 2/8 I am 111.5 lbs. The first 3-4 days the pill makes you very very sleepy. Fight through it, as it goes away after the first few days. Cyproheptadine does make you feel super hungry and removes the full feeling. You must eat if you want to gain weight. I am taking the pill 2-3 times a day. 4mg. I do believe this does work. I will post more updates in a month.”

Girl · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

For Anorexia: “I’m on my second week and I honestly don’t know if it’s working. Can someone tell me when it’s suppose to “kick in”? I have been eating more but only because I’m kinda forcing myself to since I think it’s what I’m suppose to do. Kinda like a placebo effect. I don’t feel any hungrier or anything. I’d like to gain at least 10 pounds I’m 18 years old and 97 lbs. Desperate at this point someone give me advice.”

Mamma January 25, 2020

For Migraine: “My 8 yr old daughter was prescribed this medication for migraines. It has done wonders for her migraines and she has gone from 4 attacks a week to none! Unfortunately, she is gaining an average of a pound a week. She is very active in basketball, 4/h, softball, running, and country living but is still gaining. She has been on the meds for 2 1/2 months and gained 10 lbs. We are going to try a different medication as we are concerned about the weight gain which appears to be mostly fat.”

nicole · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2019

For Anorexia: “Hello, I have been tiny my entire life. In 2007 I had to have emergency surgery. Turned out I had a band around my intestines. I had abdominal surgery and appendix removed. The doctor said I was born with this band and that's why I was in a lot of pain, he also said that's why I was not able to gain weight because the band was wrapped around my intestines. It's been over 10 years and still haven't picked up weight. I recently had my first baby April 19th of this year. I gained 20lbs but lost it right after having him. I went to my OB for an appointment he said he was going to send me to a specialist but want me to start taking this medicine. I hope this helps because I am 34 years old and very underweight for my age and it's very annoying when people say "You mustn't eat." "How much you weight" so I will post my updates I just got medicine today.”

Ris · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 27, 2019

For Anorexia: “Took periactin once a day as it made me very drowsy and heavy headed. Although my appetite picked up a lot and over a year I put on about 10 kgs which I wanted, but it was the worst decision to take these tablets as it caused severe dryness in my eyes. Which has led to terrible eye pain day and night. Sadly I didn't make the link between the tablets and the pain till too late but have now stopped taking them. They probably work for some without side effects but not for me unfortunately.”

D November 27, 2019

For Failure to Thrive: “The good- My 2 year old takes this medication. He’s also on a feeding tube due to unknown feeding issues, aspiration, chocking, under weight and low hunger, as well as vomiting. His neurologist put him on it hoping the vomiting was linked to his head aches (has chairi malformation we got surgically fixed 6 months ago) Since he’s been on this Med I have been able to take him off 2 of his 5 feeding tube feeds because he will actually drink a thickened bottle. Plus he has been more successful at eating his solid foods and choking and regurgitating his foods much less. I’m not sure what part of the meds did that, but I’m thankful!! No more puking and no more headaches The bad- He sleeps a lot, at 2 that’s fine, wasn’t ok for my older kid who was also on it.”

Precious · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2019

For Anorexia: “I'm not anorexic but I'm a really small woman right now and can not gain weight at all. I have a nutritionist and still no difference so I went to my Dr on 10/8/19 and so far my appetite has picked up over 50%. I'm eating more off my plates and snacking a lot more than usual. I see where people are starting off taking whole pills right away but my Dr told me a half a pill (4mg) 4x a day for 21 days then 2 whole pills 4x a day. I was at 100lb but I haven't weighed myself but will my next appt. I see my nutritionist 10/26/19 and I'll get weighed in. I'll check back in then but if no change then I'll check in in 2 months when I see my PCP for a check up,and the best thing about it is my Medicaid pays for it. I'm also hypothyroidism so you'd think I'd gain weight alone. I have severe allergies living in Oklahoma lol and take allergy medicine with inhalers as well everyday and if this also helps with allergies then I can kill 2 birds with one stone and stop the inhalers and montelukast.”

Shae Ballou · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2019

For Anorexia: “I've been taking this medication for about 2 weeks and I'm not sure if I've gained much but its definitely helping me eat more! I've been TOO skinny my entire life and I hate it! Just like fat people hate being fat and are sensitive when people point it out so are us bony people! Like I literally hate when people say do you eat much look how skinny you are and things like that! It's rude and I'm insecure about being this skinny! It's hard to gain weight and make myself eat! I don't have a eating disorder but I also don't have an appetite most of the time normally. But now that my doctor has prescribed me this its making me eat at least 3 meals a day and snacks in between. I weighed 112 and I'm 5'9. So you can imagine I'm very skinny and slinky. My boyfriend says to make small goals like 10-15 lbs but I want to gain 40-50 honestly. My "healthy weight would be 155. I can't wait to finally feel okay about myself again!”

pat · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

For Anorexia: “Ok people why is cyproheptadine not working for me? This is my second week and I can't even tell that I am taking it. I take 4mg 3 x a day . Before breakfast-lunch-dinner. Please can someone recommend anything else or tell me what I am doing wrong. I was taking Megace gained 20 pounds but I started getting acid reflux and a raw tongue now I can't take that and lost down to 100lb so the Dr. gave me cyproheptadine. But it is not working I do not get hungry and I do not want to eat. Please any suggestions would help!!”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 4, 2019

For Anorexia: “I have struggled with low weight and bony/arms since childhood, which made me very uncomfortable around others. My inability to gain weight now is impaired by the ADHD stimulant medications; they completely wipe away your appetite. As for the cyproheptadine, I remember having amazing results and my body "filled in" for the first time, only thing is that if you take SSRI antidepressants, cyproheptadine to simply put it is a 5-HT (serotonin) antagonist. In addition to the cypro, I also take Marinol and Zyprexa, all of which should significantly increase ones appetite for sure.”