User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Allergic Rhinitis 1 reviews 882 medications

Migraine 22 reviews 81 medications

7.3
Summary of Cyproheptadine reviews 120 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "Hi I had c diff a year ago and it made me lose so much weight ! I told the doctors I was unhappy with my weight and I couldn't eat due to stress . I got assigned these pills and I was only suppose to take 2 a day but my cousin was suppose to take 3 a day ? Well about two months later I gained 15 pounds , at first I couldn't tell just knew I was eating a lot more. Then slowly I noticed I gained weight: also in your belly area is the worst !!!!! But I'm going to start back taking the pills recently I stopped because I've been busy and was a good weight but now I'm unhappy again with my weight so 3 times a day I will take them!"

Omgkenken April 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "All my life I've been a "grazer" as my mum has said, so I've always stayed the same weight, I'm 33 & 5ft 9" now and went through a rough patch due to stress and illness and went down from 70kg to 62kg rapidly. I've used a lot of protein powders to try and gain, but really my diet, lifestyle and not getting enough calories in me is the problem. So I thought I'd look into other possibilities that people who suffer with no appetite and after a bit of searching I found Cyro-Vita which is the brand here, 6 days in and I've not weighed myself yet, however I'm finishing off large meals with ease and feel hungry all the time, which is a big deal for me, first night 4mg, I slept for 16hrs, so went down to 2mg before bed from then on all good!"

Gooodstuff April 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "After seeing all these reviews, I really thought I would gain weight too. Well, its been 1 week and I felt really sleepy for 3 days and I looked as if I had gained weight on my face. I was really happy but after 4th day I think the weight gain on my face disappeared. I feel hungry after 1 pm. I want to eat something all the time but I don't think I gaining weight. I'm thinking about increasing the pills dosage to 3 times a day now!"

Sad guy April 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Failure to Thrive: "Okay. I got subscribed this pill from my stomach doctor - Cyclic vomiting syndrome . Months on months on months I would wake up throwing up and nauseous as hell. I spent a whole year going to the emergency room in a panic. When I was prescribed this medicine I stopped waking up sick every morning. Being sick every morning caused me to not be able to eat at all. I was 125 and ended up being 102..... this medicine not only made me not wake up sick, it actually allowed me to eat every morning and all day like a normal person and now I'm back up to 115... this medicine does take a couple weeks or maybe less depending on your body... I took it right before bed every night, so it didn't effect me sleepiness whose except for the first few weeks I didn't want to wakeup fast"

Ewalkkk April 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I had always been 100 pounds, when I had an appetite issue my doctor prescribed this. IT DID WORK, it will make your tired but that will start to go away I am now 130 & rising!"

ashlynn jones 07 March 16, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I decided to try this to put on weight. Its only the second day and I've noticed an extreme increase in appetite!!! The only bad thing is it makes me soooooooo tired does anyone else get this?? Shall I take it before bed then?"

Butterflies1234567 (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "Personally, I did not experience an appetite increase. This was my hope and now I'm trying my best to find other medicines to increase my appetite. Wish me luck."

PlantFlowerTree February 21, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Reactions: "This medication works wonders if you are looking to gain weight. I personally take these for allergies but have noticed weight change within 2 weeks of using it. I was 180 and gained 5 pounds and I'm 5'9. Not too stoked on gaining weight but I'm not disappointed either would definitely recommend if you suffer from loss of appetite or other medical conditions."

Deezylemonsqueezy February 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I have always had a hard time gaining weight since I was a teenager. Nothing that I tried before worked BUT cyproheptadine. It took me years of research and I tried a few different methods, different diets etc... doctors would tell me that I was going to gain weight with age... but I absolutely hated the way my clothes looked on me and how skinny I was. One beautiful, happy , lucky day, lol, I saw a post online about cyproheptadine and decided to do a little research. I asked my primary doctor to prescribe it to me and she did. I gained about 15 pounds or more with this medication in just a few months. I was about 100 pounds and now I am at 123. I only take the medication if I feel that my appetite is poor... I just pop one of those. great!"

JulianaO February 3, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I eventually thought my weight probs were over, I was High as a kite and couldn't wait to start taking them after reading all the Positives about them, alas, it was the most disappointing thing thats happened to me,They did NOTHING for me,not even the Sleepiness occurred that people posted about.I just decided to be determined and eat as much as I could, But as much as eat I'm still stuck on 8 stone,4 st less than my norm.I can only assume it is other Meds I'm on that is Blocking them from working,So Despondent."

LisbonLion February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Reactions: "Took Periactin successfully back in the 1980's for a brutal allergy attack that sent me to the ER. Benadryl injection worsened it so my throat was closing then they gave me Valium injection to relax my airways. Sent me to a specialist who gave me Periactin, which cleared the hives and itching all over me, which I've now learned I'm allergic to pine and cinnamon. My MD later changed it to Atarax when I started gaining too much weight lol. Fast forward, I'm disabled with arthritis now on Mesicare, not a jolly Christmas shopper with these allergies, and my pcp tells me to take OTC allergy meds. Missing working, my allergy shots, too thin and coveting Periactin. Weight gain would be a great side effect to get some weight back. Great med."

sybil1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I started taking this medication I was 88 pounds 5'3, and sickly looking people thought I was on drugs. I had no appetite and hated how my clothes looked! Taking this medicine I am now 130 pounds and eat like a horse I gained really fast too!! It doesn't make me tired but my tolerance is high.. Im prescribed medical marijuana as well which is a help also! I recommend both and CBDs."

IndicaXtina (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I must say this medicine has really helped me so much I recommend this to anyone looking to gain weight. When I first started I was maybe sleepy the first week, but I got over it. I have been on this med for almost a month & gained 10 pounds already & im love the results."

Anonymous December 26, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Allergic Reactions: "This doesn't work for me. Iv'e found an other way to gain weight. Reply if this doesn't work for you"

Nieboo December 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I was prescribed this medication for rapid weight loss (-25lbs in 2 weeks) from severe anxiety and panic disorder. During this time I was unable to eat hardly anything and lost my appetite completely. My psychiatrist gave me a 4mg dose of this to take daily. I started off by taking only half a dose and that did the trick for me. I have gained 5 pounds back in about 10 days. I do have to say the appetite increased mostly toward the evening, not so much in the morning, but it does work. I did not experience any side effects from it."

J137B (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "This is not my experience but from my learning on pharmacology. If someone takes Periactin for long time, it causes psychosis and damage to liver. So, before taking Periactin for long time, consult your doctor"

Dr Zulfiquer Ahmed Amin October 18, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I've being treated for anxiety with amitriptyline & xanax. During my 3 month review with my doctor I told him how I went from a 1 to a 5 since taking these medications. I've been trying to gain weight since having my daughter 10 yrs ago. I was always 5/6 7/8.. After having her barely a one. So I'm pleased that Im gaining weight. So he gives me my anxiety medications with Periactin. Hopefully all goes well & i can reach my goal."

chris310 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I've always been underweight and I had a weak appetite and always struggled to gain any weight. I was 24 and still weighed 90lbs I was depressed about my weight. but after prescribed periactin, I gained over 15 lbs in 2 months and I feel great! I have never weighed over 100 lbs in my entire life. It really works!"

Emiwag September 5, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "This drug was excellent for me personally. I gained 30 pounds in two months which was great. I highly recommend this medication."

SunshineSD August 30, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "Did NOT WORK for me. I was very disappointed. after seeing all these reviews I was really hopefull. But it did nothing for me other than make me sleepy the first few days. Any other pills out there?"

Tomasek August 28, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I have always been thin my whole life & tried everything to gain weight i hate skinny jokes still at the age of 31 & you would think 5 kids wouldnof gavr me some weight smh no so i ask my doctor to prescribe me something so far i been using them for 2 weeks now and I've went from 100 to 112. I suppose to take one at bedtime but I take them 2/3 times a day and it literally increases my appetite which I barely had before. Like I'm hungry all the time especially when I wake up in the morning and after dinner its a must for a late night snack/ mini meal... I'm really satisfied with my results my only complaint would be the sleeping so much I had to start taking half and half of the 4mg because they knock you out for hoursss. Hope this helps :-)"

TinkaBellz (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I have been wanting to gain weight for over ten years. I have a really hard time eating. It's like a chore to me to force myself to eat and I get full really quick. Everyone tells me I'm too thin all the time and mass shakes make me want to puke because they're too sweet and thick. So I've been underweight most of my life. I searched the Internet and about two weeks ago I found reviews for periactin and got really excited to try it. So I got it prescribed right away and have been on it for a week now. I've gained 10 ibs already! This is a miracle! I felt a tiny bit sleepy the first two days but I've always felt tired from lack of nutrition so it wasn't much of a difference. I'm so excited to keep gaining!"

Thin girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "Omg all my life I have been small and wanted to gain weight but never could. I'm 5'4 was 123pounds before the medicine not to bad for my height. So one day I went to my Dr and we talked about me having loss of appetite so she recommended I take periactin to help me with my appetite and wow guys I have gained literally 10 pounds in two weeks. I'm in my third week I'm 137 and I love it. This medication is defiantly for anyone trying to gain weight."

Amazin (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "It got prescribed this when I started getting horrible headaches almost daily. I was told to take it two times daily, once in the morning and once at night. It gave me more headaches, at least an aura without pain. I had increased blind spots in my vision. As well as it made me extremely tired. Stopped taking it."

RedSchist (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "Ive always been skinny but not to a point where people would point it out or say i need to gain weight. I tried taking this because sometimes ill lose my appetite and i can go days without feeling hungry. I took half a 4mg at night before bed and i couldnt get out! I slept from 10 pm all the way to 1:30 in the afternoon and i was still tired! It makes your bones feel like jelly. It does help you gain weight but when i took it, all the weight just went to my stomach. So now im just forcing myself to eat more and i hit the gym 5 times a week for weight lifting and i look better than when i used this pill to gain weight. If you want to put on healthy weight aka muscle this isnt the pill to try- 16lbs of muscle =1 year to put on."

Jessicajones123 August 1, 2016